Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 1: It's America's only sort for news.
Speaker 2: This is The Daily Child with your host Jordan Clippers.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Daily John Jordan Bluffer. We got so much to talk about Tonight. Lewis Black takes on the cyber truck.
Speaker 4: All right, k JR.
Speaker 1: Look Black's here. R k Jr.
Speaker 3: Has something he just can't get out of his head. And Christy nomes hopes of becoming VP have been taken out to the gravel pitting shots. Plus Matt Damon joins us tonight.
Speaker 1: Not about show.
Speaker 3: First, Let's catch up on all the latest in the presidential race with another installment of Indecision twenty twenty four. Let's kick things off with the huge trial that threatens to destroy a politician's career. Not Trump's trial. He'll get off scott free. No, I'm talking about public opinion versus Christy Nome, South Dakota governor and big fan of the last two minutes of old Yeller. The mainstream liberal media has been coming at her for days just because her new memoir has a little story in it about executing a puppy. So now she's turning to her base on conservative media to find some support, But it turns out that even they are having a hard time with this.
Speaker 5: What happens if you are debating Kamala Harris and she says, well, wait a second, you shot your dog.
Speaker 6: I never tell anybody round personal conversations with the dolt. I talked to President Trump all the time about the dog, about a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Governor.
Speaker 7: If you asked me a month ago, who's at the top of the list to run with.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump, I would have said your name.
Speaker 8: If you ask me that same question this morning, I don't even think you're on the list.
Speaker 3: These people are harsh. You're not even on the list, not on the VP list, not on the cabinet list, not even on Craig's list. I will say the past few years I have been wondering how far is too far for the right wing MAGA crowd, And now we know it's shooting your dog in a gravel pit that is not acceptable until Trump does it. Then then every Republican has to shoot their dog just to stay in the party. So kudos right wing media for putting your foot down against killing dogs. You can hold your head up high and go back to your regularly scheduled segment, Why don't we toss to my kids into the Grand Canyon?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 3: It's a very compelling segment every Wednesday at nine. But not everyone in conservative media had their knives out for Christina. In the bowels of Newsmax, Eric Bowling tried his best to throw her a lifeline, Governor.
Speaker 9: I've also written a couple of books, and I know how the process works. You write some chapters. You don't write the whole book at once. You write a chapter or two. You send it to the editors and they edit, They read it, they add, they subtract.
Speaker 1: And here's my question.
Speaker 9: The editor the editor, was she possibly a plant to a liberal plan?
Speaker 3: A liberal plan editor? Eric, she wrote the book, she wrote it. You can tell conservatives don't really believe any of their conspiracy bullshit by how casually they try to fit one into any scandal. Just say your editor was a liberal plan, Christy. Maybe your dog was trying to rig the election. Maybe your dog was DEI is that something I don't?
Speaker 1: Oh, just pick one, I believe it or not?
Speaker 3: Shoot eater dog. Isn't the only scandal about Nome's book there's also a story about when she met with North Korean dictator Kim Jong un, or she wrote, I remember when I met with North Korean dictator Kim Jong un. Except she had to take that story out because she never actually met with North Korean dictator Kim Jong un. And she says the story was put in there by accident, and she took it out as soon as she found out, even though she wrote the book and recorded the audio book. And if you're wondering, didn't she find that out when she recorded the audiobook. You're not the only one.
Speaker 10: You said you when you learned of it, you immediately took action. You recorded the whole book in the audiobook, you read this whole passage out loud.
Speaker 6: Why didn't you take it out then? When you read the audiobook? You know, I've traveled for years. I've been involved in policy for almost thirty years, so I've gone all across the world. I've met with world leaders. So you didn't really brought to my audio book when I was brought to my attention, and it was I asked the publisher if they would remove the name, and they did.
Speaker 10: Okay, I just bet you didn't answer my question when you record.
Speaker 6: You posted pictures and video.
Speaker 10: Of yourself recording the audiobook. When you recorded your own audiobook, you didn't notice.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to distress about my meetings with world leaders.
Speaker 10: I'm not asking you to I'm asking about recording the audio.
Speaker 6: Did you want to talk about something else today?
Speaker 3: For God's sakes, can we talk about something else? I shot a dog once, Diday hear about that. Kim Jong Un is not someone you forget meeting. He's a madman. No one's ever like, yeah, I met Hitler. Oh wait, Eatolf Hitler. I was thinking of a deadyone, Greg Hitler from Tampa, That's who I was thinking of.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I know we've been talking about this Christy Nome story for a few days in a row now, But she lied about meeting Kim Jong un and she shot a puppy. I honestly can't think of a political story that could be crazy enough to push that out of the news cycle.
Speaker 10: In a new report, Robert Kennedy opens up about health.
Speaker 1: Issues from a quote worm that.
Speaker 9: Got into my brain and ate a portion of it and then died.
Speaker 3: What I don't know what's worse That rfk Jr had a worm that was eating his brain, or that his brain is so poisoned it killed the worm. It's so wild that we've all been joking about how rfk Jr. Must have brain worms, and then he actually has brainworms. It's like if the weird kid in class came back from the doctor with the note saying, actually, Kyle does have stage two turnface. Please let him get his affairs in order. Now, the Kennedy campaign is dismissing the notion that the dead worm in their candidate's brain could cause any cognitive problems. But the story actually came out because The New York Times found a twenty twelve deposition from Kennedy's divorce and which he argued that his earning power had diminished because quote, I have cognitive problems clearly, so I guess his argument now is no, No, the worm didn't eat the president part of my brain, just the part that has to give my ex wife money. And as if this story couldn't get any weirder, it turns out that Kennedy discovered the worm because he was getting tested for brain fog and memory loss. But doctor said it probably wasn't the worm that was causing the brain fog. It was more likely that he had severe mercury poisoning from eating too much fish. I mean, no wonder RFK cares so much about climate change. He's legally a thermometer and the how will this affect the race? Probably not much. I know the idealists out there would love to vote for a perfect candidate, but we live in the real world. Okay, does RFK Jr. Have a worm in his brain?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Trump's brain is just two possums and a squirrel. Biden Cerebram is riddled with slugs. You know, would it be nice to have a candidate whose head is full of all brain?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: And I'd love a puppy tube, But Christy Nome shot it.
Speaker 2: Grow up.
Speaker 3: For more on the ongoing medical situation, we go live to the RFK Junior campaign with our own Desie Lion.
Speaker 1: Wow, Desie.
Speaker 3: Words inside a presidential candidate's head is a terrifying story. What's the mood at the campaign?
Speaker 11: Well, it's understandable why people are nervous, but as it turns out, brainworms are very common healthy even in fact, some might say society would be better if everyone had worms in their brains.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, that sounds like something a worm would say what.
Speaker 11: No, Jordan, it's me a human woman. I just think people shouldn't be so scared about embracing a symbiotic relationship with another life form, a beautiful parasitic life form. It's not like I'm asking you to surrender to us. Surrender to us.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, if you can.
Speaker 3: I'm genuinely concerned, Dosie. This doesn't sound like you at all, is it? Is it possible you have a brain worm?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Joran?
Speaker 6: No, of course not.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 6: You mayn't even say that.
Speaker 3: Why would you say that, you're you're you're eating soil, you're eating you are a worm, Jordan?
Speaker 12: If you're suggesting that, I was interviewing RFK Junior, and he tricked me into touching our eyeballs together so a bunch of your worms could funnel into my brain's left cortex. And you are way out of line, way out of line. It was just a normal interview. It wasn't weird, okay, although you know it is weird.
Speaker 6: Legs am I right?
Speaker 1: No, this is horrible. If you're in there, Desi, you have to fight the worms. Fight the worms.
Speaker 11: Ohing God, Jordan's stopp being so paranoid. It's just me DESI, lordick or whatever. I'll tell you what when I get back to New York, let's just sit down together, you know, and touch eyeball.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely, absolutely not. Don't threaten me worm. I won't tolerate that.
Speaker 11: Oh oh, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: Fire me?
Speaker 11: Then you're gonna have zero worms in late night?
Speaker 6: How's that gonna look?
Speaker 1: So you admit it?
Speaker 3: You are a worm? So what's the endgame here? You build an army of warm people, brainwash everyone, and then get RFK elected.
Speaker 11: Oh my god, no, Jordan, that's insane. I mean, yes, we're building an army of worm people to take over the earth, but we're not voting for RFK.
Speaker 6: That dude's crazy.
Speaker 1: No way I.
Speaker 11: Got worms for It's not shit for brains.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, lawrens a alight Like everybody, we come back, Lewis Black.
Speaker 1: Let me joining us.
Speaker 3: Don't go away, Welcome back to the Daily Show. When a news story falls through the cracks, Lewis Black catches it for a segment we call back in black.
Speaker 2: Cars used to be away to let people know you were cool, or, in the case of your friend's dad, to let people know you were having a midlife crisis, and in recent years one of the coolest cars you could buy was the Tesla. Not only was it a status symbol.
Speaker 1: But it was electric.
Speaker 2: It was like a compost bin that you could drink and drive it. For a while, Tesla's stock price was skyrocketing, but now it's sliding down like half of Mitch McConnell's face.
Speaker 5: The numbers are in and Tesla has fallen short of expectations. Elon Musk's electric vehicle company releasing its first quarter earnings, showing its biggest revenue drop in over a decade. In the first three months of the year, Carsel's dropping eight and a half percent, adding to a plummeting stock price that so far this year has gone down over forty percent.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, down forty percent. The only thing worth less than Tesla stock is a fully grown adult at p Dinny's house.
Speaker 1: Stop it. That's the least of the problems.
Speaker 2: But don't worry, sorry, Tesla owner Elon Musk is a perfectly reasonable, dumbest explanation for this.
Speaker 1: We should be thought of as an AI robotics company.
Speaker 10: If your value tells as just like an order company, you would just have to fundamentally, it's just the wrong framework.
Speaker 1: Sorry, elon my mistake.
Speaker 2: All this time, I thought your company that sold cars was a car company.
Speaker 1: God, one of us must be a real idiot.
Speaker 2: So Tesla is clearly in the shitter. And the thing that was supposed to save it was the cyber truck, a vehicle that looks like what happens when you inbreed Deloreans. But unfortunately the cyber truck appears to be cyber Tesla.
Speaker 7: Recalling its entire fleet of cyber trucks nearly four thousand and all, the company says the accelerator pedal could get stuck, causing to pick up to unintentionally speed up, risking a crash.
Speaker 2: Well, remember it's not a car crash, it's an AI crash. Open your mind, man, Seriously, though you recalled all of them, none were okay. Even with the baldwinds, they made one good one. I'm not gonna say which one. I don't want to get shot.
Speaker 1: And this is just the.
Speaker 2: And this is just the latest problem with robocops Wagon, because that thing's been shit in the bed since day one.
Speaker 6: We've gotten a lot of tails of malfunction. So, for example, vehicles dying after traveling just one mile.
Speaker 7: The steamless steel vehicles are quickly showing signs of rust.
Speaker 1: One guy sharing how the drive through car wash was two marks for the Tesla cybertrock. He doesn't know what happened, but.
Speaker 9: Says the owner's manual does say you should wash your car in sunlight.
Speaker 7: A Tesla cyber truck had to be rescued by a Ford pickup after the Tesla got stuck in the mud and snow on a road in the Sierra south of Lake Tahoe.
Speaker 2: Oh fancy cyber truck had to get rescued by the big tough Ford. You are the laughing stock of all the other trucks. That Ford pickup's probably banging your wife right now, you cybercuck. Plus, what use is a truck if it can't all road? That's like a sex doll with no holes. Now, I just seem weird having it on my couch. And this car is just failing its owners. It's trying to eat them.
Speaker 5: Cyber Truck users are reporting injuries from the automatic trunk.
Speaker 3: Everybody's been waiting for this the finger without further ado, we're closing the cyber truck.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna put my finger flat right here and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Ready, re ready?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 11: Okay, Oh my god, Okay.
Speaker 12: I can't even move my finger right now. I might have actually broken it.
Speaker 2: Good good, because I'm team cybertruck on this one. You morons had it coming. Do us all a favor, save us from another generation of cyber truck drivers.
Speaker 1: Stick your balls in there too.
Speaker 2: Luckily I still have all my fingers, so I can deliver this message to Elon on behalf of Best the Stop album. Unlike unlike AI, this is pretty straightforward, so is this one.
Speaker 4: Jordan's Oh It's black everybody when we come back back label all the good, Gun the show, don't go away, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 3: My guest Tonight is an award winning actor and producer of the critically acclaimed documentary about you two in the Bosnian War called Kiss the Future. Please Welcome Matt Damon.
Speaker 1: Let go Black, All right?
Speaker 3: They react to everybody like that.
Speaker 1: This movie is.
Speaker 3: It's it's remarkable a story I I I hadn't heard of it. So it follows the seize of Sarajevo and sort of the art the art community that sprang out of it. And also the ways in which you too was sort of used as a as a touchstone to pull people together at that time. I wonder, what, what, what what compelled you to tell this story?
Speaker 1: Well, it's I had the same reaction.
Speaker 8: I just somebody told me the story and it was so incredible, And we had this great director, Nana Chitchens Shine who who was from there and who who came in and talked to us about it, and I just wanted to help get the story out there and get it because it's such a beautiful story and ultimately about light winning, triumphing over triumphing over dark, you know, so and these people in Sarajevo who were just so resilient but used music as like an act of defiance and resistance in the middle of these horrible circumstances. And I just found it just a beautiful story. So we just so I'm a producer on it. It's like a docu mentory. It's not my normal kind of thing to do, but it just it was something I wanted to put out there for people to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's remarkable in watching war torn Sarajevo and you see people who are they talk about dodging bullets and stiper fires so they can go listen to music in a basement. How like normalcy is so so important to them, just to feel like they're connected to something. There's moments in there when it's like, I wish we could just like airlift Taylor Swift and dropped her in Ukraine just to sort.
Speaker 1: Of find some peace.
Speaker 3: It feels very modern in that way that.
Speaker 1: Might be the answer to everything.
Speaker 8: Yeah we could, Yeah she can figure it out, Yeah, yeah, absolutely. But it is that it is that, you know, the movie really covers all of these lives of these Sarah Evans who who really came to that conclusion reflecting on life and what is life really and and and actually it was worth risking their lives to go to gather so that they could listen to music or play music or just be together and and that that bonded them and strengthened their community and that resilience. And you know, it's as as Bono said in that little clip there, it was it was carrying on with their lives was a way of saying, you know, you're not beating us, you're not defeating you will not take our lives from us. You can, you can kill me, but you still won't take this from me. There's a great photo in there that we have of one of these punk rock drummers who lost his hand on the front lines and he and he there's a picture of him with his drumstick duct taped to his to his his army in place of where you know, where his hand was, and he's just and he's and he's playing like death metal, like come on, you know, like like you're not going to take music away from me, you know, And and uh, it's just a beautiful The stories are really incredible and the people that we we we got a lot of footage from from the sarah Avans who were there, and so you know, there's a wedding in the in the middle, like all these real moments that were really happening amidst this siege.
Speaker 3: I think they sort of articulate that with the wedding, the scene and the wedding under all of this chaos. And again, it's it's hard to watch this and not see the image of your seene on news as well, but then to see people go through wedding, walking through war torn areas and just finding those moments of joy, and you really see joy as an act of resistance in those moments, exactly exactly. This movie also follows again this YouTube concert in Sarajevo and sort of the conversation around you two a little bit, and they're sort of looked at in some ways as a way that art can shine through, it can find a beacon for people, a way out. I'm curious, as an artist yourself, what were touchstones for you? Clearly you didn't grow up in war torn Boston from my understanding, but I'm wondering, as an artist and a creator, like finding those touchstones that make you feel connected to something larger. What do you see when you watch and produce a film like that?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel look, I mean I was.
Speaker 8: I was in Australia last year looking at cave art that was eighteen thousand years old, and just that very human impulse that we have.
Speaker 1: To tell stories to each other.
Speaker 8: And it's a way to kind of tell somebody another perspective, right And if you and if you you know, for filmmaking, if you can put people in other people's shoes, that builds empathy and compassion, and as you know, Edge says in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are.
Speaker 8: There really are these legitimate dark forces that are trying to divide us. And you see that a lot in politics, you see that a lot. And and what art and music and film does hopefully is is it's a bulwark against that and an attempt to kind of bridge those divides and keep these communities together.
Speaker 3: Do you feel attention to somebody as a creator and a producer, Like we're in such partisan times, such political times, uh, and selling political ideas is not the not the easiest sell as it used to be. People don't want to go near that as far as producing things that might have a larger political agenda.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: But you also are balancing having a platform and such a difficult time. Like, what do you see as you are moving forward and making things? How do you see the art that you want to produce and to be a part of?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 8: I think you want you know what what, whatever it is you're making, your your heart has to be in it and you have to feel like it's Look, even if it's a movie that isn't overtly political, if it's about building understanding about the you know, if you can watch a movie that has no relation to your to your life, and and be affected by the characters. Then that's that's that's one little small bit of evolution, you know. And and we're bombarded by all of the you know, I mean you you're.
Speaker 1: Forced to sit through it because you got to write jokes about it.
Speaker 8: But but I mean, it really is kind of an assault on your senses. And then the and and it's constantly telling you that that that we're different, and we're divided, and we're split and and I think movies like this and and uh and and and other films can can can kind of call bullshit on that idea, say we're actually a lot closer than than than we think, or then we're told, well.
Speaker 3: There it was like, there's a final quote in this movie that's a poignant one. They wonder whether we need that concert more today than we needed it in ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was one of the seriae.
Speaker 8: Evens said that, which was really and that's why Nanad decided to close the movie with it, because it is you do see a lot of parallels to all over the world to what was happening there. And so again it's a I mean, it ultimately is really an uplifting movie because it's it's beautiful to watch, you know, these people and what they did and how they overcame their situation.
Speaker 1: The band and what you know. Incidentally, the band was there.
Speaker 8: One had kind of they reluctant at first, just because they didn't want to make a U two movie.
Speaker 1: No, we don't want to.
Speaker 8: We're like, no, no, no, you know, we're gonna put the Sara Evans in the center of this and that's when they so they gave us all of this footage and the concert at the end that they play is it was the first time that the fifty thousand people gathered and they were on different sides of this conflict, and they gathered and just listened to music together.
Speaker 1: And the movie is.
Speaker 8: Called Kiss the Future because Bono when he started this concert, he grabbed the microphone and he said the past, kiss the Future. And so that's why we call the movie Kiss the Future because that was the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a beautiful movie more than before. Kiss the Future is now available to stream exclusively on Paramount Plus. Matt Damon, I want to talk about little That's a show for tonight two days to borrow and your host will be John Stewart.
Speaker 1: No. Here it is.
Speaker 6: Yes, enough, Stewart, this interview is ridiculous what you were doing right now, so you need to stop. It is okay, it is. Let's talk about some real topics that Americans.
Speaker 1: Care about before you're out of time.
Speaker 6: Oh well, of course we are.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 6: Thank you for being with us.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 2: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 1: This has been a Comedy Central podcast