Speaker 1: Really Now, Really, Really.
Speaker 2: Now Really, Hello and welcome to this episode of Really You Know Really, with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, both of whom would love you to subscribe to Really Know Really, but are too proud to beg you for it. In today's episode, you'll meet the scientist who set the world record for the longest time spent living underwater, Plus how the Titans submersible actually met its tragic fate, a debate on the merits of Aquaman's superpowers, and the secret to holding your breath for over six minutes. And now here are two guys whose lives seem to be a desperate attempt to keep afloat your hosts, Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden.
Speaker 3: So listen before we Uh, it's a big day, big day for us.
Speaker 4: It's a big day. Another episode. It's a Big Day's special. I'll give you that's an indication of what my average day is like. I got it.
Speaker 3: But you want a little up date on one of our previous Uh.
Speaker 4: Okay, so we did it. We did.
Speaker 3: We've interviewed a gentleman who was on the team, the NASA team that is evaluating all this UFOs that evaluation came out and they said mostly nothing yet. However, the way I just read and this kind of made big news. Over the last few days in Mexico, they released photographs of two bodies that they have said were not of human origin, not their extra bodies. Made a lot of news, a lot of speculation, right, and then some scientists went in and did X rays. It seems that the legs of these aliens are a human arm bone and a human leg right. And the skull, which was really the giveaway, kind of.
Speaker 4: Looked like e T.
Speaker 3: They've determined sort of shaved down skull of a lama. So a space yeah, yeah, I mean that doesn't prove anything space line absolutely, you've never heard of spaceline this before.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 4: Now there you go. Yeah, And apparently they walked on their hands.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and crashed. You know what's amazing about exterrestials. They always get so close and then they go, oh, oh, we're going.
Speaker 4: To hit and crash.
Speaker 3: So normally we always talk about space exploration, but the truth is right here on Earth we have largely unexplored. The majority of our planet is our oceans.
Speaker 5: Over seventy percent of our planet is ocean, and they know more about space than what do you know about about the ocean, which is amazing.
Speaker 3: It is amazing, which and we don't know much about space. So our really no really of the day is a gentleman has recently surfaced after voluntarily living underwater for one hundred days.
Speaker 4: Really really no really, and he's joining us now. His scientist he's a doctor, he is.
Speaker 3: His name is doctor Joseph detri He is a retired naval officer. He has broken the record for spending time I'm underwater, having spent more than three months living inside a one hundred square foot pod in the depths of the Atlantic Ocean to research the effects of pressurized environments on the human body. He was twenty two feet below the waters in Key Largo, Florida. He's a biomedical engineer teaches at the University of South Florida. He has a nickname Doctor deep Sea, which well, I'm not even going to go into that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: And he was at the bottom of the Emerald Lagoon in the Jewels under Sea launch. So far, this sounds like a Disney attraction to me. I think he spent one day, he did not, and then it's an underwater hotel here in the United States. He's broken the Guinness Book of World Records, which previously was seventy four days, and he is to come up under one hundred days. We have doctor, doctor Joseph de Truri.
Speaker 4: How are you see you?
Speaker 1: It's a small world, after all, we're.
Speaker 5: First of all, you couldn't have stayed one hundred and five just to pad the record.
Speaker 3: One hundred is the path of the record. One hundred days and went, you know what, I'm done, I'm through.
Speaker 4: I had enough.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting you did the space tie in thing right from the very beginning, because you're right, we do. We know more about space than we know about our own ocean. Yeah, as of twenty twelve, three people had been to the bottom of the Marianna's Trench. That numbers climbed just a little bit in recent time, but not much so. When people ask me why did you stay one hundred days, I said, well, honestly, it's because I can't afford to state two.
Speaker 4: Hundred the reason you and as they were charging for the row.
Speaker 1: Well they were charging, yes, definitely, it was funded in part by me personally. But the two hundred day thing that's how long it's going to take us to get to Mars going.
Speaker 3: So let's stay with that. I'm shocked at the hotel didn't go. Hey, this is like a big deal for us.
Speaker 5: Hey, other people booked that. The Kummelsons are checking it on Thursday's got to be out of there. Come on the Wednesday checking noon check in. Can you say.
Speaker 1: There's cost to running? You know, the driven and people are the marching army, right, like you got to pay a sound guy. That sound guy gets paid every time you go on. Maybe he doesn't get paid when you're not on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So speaking of the money though, let me let me let me tie this in because this is and you would know this. So in the sixty seventies, Jacquesteau was really about let's build underwater cities, let's build pods, and sea lamb happened and all of that, and because of money, all of a sudden it lost people, lost interest and it went away for years. Now, all of a sudden, I guess James Cameron, because of the Titanic and the other pod that's going down to do the Mariana trensch had has done the other four ocean depths to yeah, all of yeah, all of a sudden, there's interest again and again you did it again.
Speaker 4: So is this starting?
Speaker 5: And I know that there's uh in Tokyo they're trying to build an underwater city, the Spiral City, with hotels and stuff like.
Speaker 4: That, which looks crazy. Is this really?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: Is this?
Speaker 5: Is this interest ramped up again all of a sudden that we're looking now saying this planet, we're screwed.
Speaker 4: We should really look at what's going on underwater.
Speaker 1: From your lips to God's ears. I mean, look, we get many biomedical things that come out of the ocean, sponges, We find new species of sponge. They're perfectly suited for curing what ails us. They're powerful anti virals, they're powerful medicines. So here's an interesting thing. We went to the bottom of the Marianas Trench in twenty twelve. Well, when I say, well, it wasn't me, it was James Cameron. When I retired from the Navy, I got a call from James Cameron saying, or his people saying, hey, Jim wants you to come out to his house, look at his submersible and evaluate it. Want you to write up what's going on and what he's done, and I'm like, I was a submersible expert. I said, sure, I'll go Jim Cameron for whatever.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: My daughter's like, tell him, I love Titanic. I get out there and it turns out that when he went to the bottom of the Marianas Trench, he found a sea lice down there and he captured it. Sea lice in the state of Florida. A teeny tighty Nitanoid little they'll bite you, they'll leave the mark the bottom of the Mario's Trench. They're like eleven inches big. He grappled it, brought it to the surface. We pulled the DNA sample off. It's a partial cure for Alzheimer's.
Speaker 5: Really so so to that point in researching this, the thing that drove me crazy, the oh wow of your trip. You're only twenty two feet down yep, for one hundred days. Every illness that we talk about in the last five years has to do with inflammation. Everything's inflamation, inflamation, inflamation. So I look at your trip and I see your oxidative stress went down, your cholesterol dropped by seventy points, your collagen went up, and you didn't exercise at all.
Speaker 4: This is all life the waight?
Speaker 3: Did you was your Did you did your diet change while you were doing there?
Speaker 1: Not at all?
Speaker 3: And the cholesterol dropped seventy points?
Speaker 1: Yeah, as ever the exact number.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's a wow.
Speaker 1: Every single inflammatory marker in my body cut in half.
Speaker 4: So what happened when you came up?
Speaker 1: Uh? It actually dropped off a little bit. Both of those dropped off a little bit, so they're not quite as good, but they're still really good.
Speaker 4: Was there any negative effect on your body? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm six foot one inch taller I was when I started. I'm now six foot and a quarter inch. I lost three quarters of an inch.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't go. I can't go. I can't go. I'm I'm wow.
Speaker 1: You remember it's a small world after all.
Speaker 5: Other So did you and I know someding did you sleep well and dream when you were down there?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, sleep plates fifty to seventy millions of America.
Speaker 4: I'm more horrible for me.
Speaker 1: I sleep poorly, about thirty percent deep in Rent when I was underwater, and when every single person was underwater, we did sleep studies. They slept sixty to sixty five percent in deep and rent.
Speaker 4: What what's the pressure we're doing up here?
Speaker 6: How much pressure do we crawl up?
Speaker 4: I'm ready to go. Now, give me what evolutionary upside there us being up?
Speaker 5: How much pressure were you at in a non pressurized capsule twenty two feet under?
Speaker 1: Well, I actually wasn't a pressure ized capsule. So that capsule had to be pressurized because the bottom of it was open. So we're keeping the work out by keeping the pressure. That's okay, No, it's a great thing. And it's one point seven times where you are one point seven to one point eight times where you are right now.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 1: But and it was fun.
Speaker 4: Well that's what I was gonna But it was fun.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't want to I don't want to undermine the accomplishment of living in that kind of environment for one hundred days. But you did have It wasn't quite like being isolated. People came in. I saw photos of you with some some students. I think you'd in your mother, my mother.
Speaker 4: She looked sixty but in years. By the way, I wanted to suit because I gave this mother's age.
Speaker 1: My mother, my mother, my mother goes down to Florida takes diving lessons, comes down to business.
Speaker 4: Like a singer.
Speaker 5: All we could think of is this, I'm finally in the capsule. I can get a break for my mother for a little bit. But you're knocking in the window.
Speaker 4: Hello, you don't call just because you're underwater, you can't answer it. Text, mister big shot, is.
Speaker 1: The last time you cleaned this place?
Speaker 4: That's what I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Now, your mother must be extraordinary because I have I have a doctor who says, go do try it, have it be it if it's not going to kill. I once said to him, I'm going to take a scuba diving.
Speaker 4: Now I have my old asthma.
Speaker 3: I said, I'm going to take a scuba diving unlesson they say before I can sign the paper, my doctor has to sign off on it. So you'll sign off it, right, And you went, no.
Speaker 4: No, I don't want your breathing compressed there. That is no okay.
Speaker 3: But yeah, your mother over forty just so I couldn't go down, I couldn't come see you in the hotel.
Speaker 4: Is that what I'm hearing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably the truth. Because regulasma, if it's controlled with an inhaler. Maybe be well, that's me.
Speaker 4: I'm controlled with an inhaler.
Speaker 1: It's one of these fine line things.
Speaker 4: I've snoopered.
Speaker 3: I've done snooper Yeah, but what you're saying to me is the whole world of our underwater future is off limits to me because I can't unlike your mother who was of indiscriminate age, I can't make it.
Speaker 4: Down to the hotel right now. I'm going, Yeah, I'm Peter, have fun. I'll stay up here. I'll be up here, and in.
Speaker 1: Hell, in an abundance of caution, we would favor your health and we'd say, hey, you'd have to get yourself evaluated by a pulmonologist.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, I understand that I can't do compressed there through a regulator in my mouth. But if I was in a submersible, is that environment okay for me?
Speaker 1: Sure that environment is okay because you're in the same environment that you and I are sitting in right now. It's one atmosphere.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: You don't get the health benefits, you don't get the additional breathing of oxygen, you don't get the cords all drop, and the one thing you failed to mention. Wait, so with the quarter's all drop, and I mean I'm talking from the eighties to the single digits. My court's will drop. You have a corresponding increase or spike in testosterone.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know how do I hell? I don't need to breathe down there. It's fine, I gotta go. All the other benefits will outweigh of the breathing. Since you're not going, I'm going, You're not going. The minute we finishes, I'm going down. I'm booking. I'm ticket to Florida. I'm booking that room, and I'm going. It's twenty two feet What the hell's going to happen? Twenty two feet? This guy wasn't in the trench. It's not like he was in the trench.
Speaker 4: Twenty two feet down. Let me tell you something. But the guy who plays.
Speaker 3: Cards at the bottom of his bool, I've seen it on YouTube. This guy's not such a big deal. I could do what he did.
Speaker 5: Let me just tell you something, doctor, I've seen Jason try and go in the ocean. Take some twenty minutes to acclimate. He splashes the long text me.
Speaker 3: It texts me an hour to get the website one. But that's neither here nor that.
Speaker 5: So what's what's the people listening? What does the place look like? You said has got an open bottom? What is it like living? Are you in a whatsuit the whole time? Explain that your day in that environment?
Speaker 1: Oh great, it's it's basically two tubes and one tube is for sleeping, and it's basically probably like eighteen feet long worth of usable space, and then it's eight feet in diameter, but it's a two so you really can't use most of it. So you have this teeny little walkway and that's it. Basically you have about fifty square feet on one side and about fifty square feet on the other side, and that's it.
Speaker 3: That would go for about five thousand a month in New York City.
Speaker 5: In New York City, and that would be And now, were you claustrophobic or because you're looking out, I guess there's windows and stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, ho is the Navy saturation dive. I've been on submarines, I've been in torpedo tube that really get it?
Speaker 4: Forget it? Oh no, oh no, oh no, that's like Baby Amri all day long.
Speaker 1: Underwater in a teedy little bubble.
Speaker 4: Wow, dude, that's yours.
Speaker 3: That would not that doesn't bother me, that that would not bother me.
Speaker 5: I can't even I'm hyperventilating thinking about yeah, no, that that I don't have a thing. So I also know that during your mission one hundred days and there were people coming and now, but that said, the thing that you said you missed the most, which was really interesting, was touch with human touch, that that that starts to get to you after a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I was limited to the to the human contact, and I got a lot of people coming and going. But you know, you don't have that that tactile, that high five, that's shaking the hand I given the hug.
Speaker 4: So wow.
Speaker 1: You know when you are deprived of that and then you come back to the surface and everybody wants to hug on you to congratulate.
Speaker 4: You, it's like wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right. So I didn't on a daily.
Speaker 4: Yeah ahead, no, no, no, on on a deal basis.
Speaker 1: On a daily basis, I would get up at like four in the morning, because once again, I'm a creature.
Speaker 4: I have it.
Speaker 1: I'll go in there, I'll have a cup of coffee and then I'll start my eggs in the microwave. I'll do two or three eggs in the microwave. I have another cup of coffee, and then I start doing science. I did science for about six to eight hours a day. It depends on my load. Right, blood, you're in saliva, electric cardiograms, electric and cephogrants, blood pressure like we did real no kid in science doing ears and factions, basically camera and we're trying to look for viruses and things. And then I would do about two or three hours of outreach to kits. I talked biomedical engineering from underneath the water at the University of South Florida. I lectured to fifty five hundred school kids, talk to them about preserving, protecting, and rejuvenating our marine environment. And then I do like two hours worth of news media outreach day.
Speaker 4: So you didn't watch you were really really two hours.
Speaker 1: Everybody's like, oh, you weren't stressed, you just hung out. I'm like, I work more down there than I ever did on the surface. I mean, I'm fifty five years old.
Speaker 4: We heard how you slack off on the surface, so we were all amazed you did so.
Speaker 3: Much under his age. We're able to talk about, but the mother is off going it out that fifty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you do the mask. Your mom's gonna fausty, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: All Right, we are devastating our oceans. You know, unchecked in how we are killing our oceans is underwater living as viable for us if we do not reverse this trend.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, unchecked, we can't do anything. We're you know, we're running with scissors. Right. So you said it's seventy it's over seventy percent water, and that's true, right, But what you don't get is that we produced seventy or more percent of the oxygen on this planet is produced from the ocean. We keep pooping on the ocean, We're going to lose the thing that we need the most. I mean, we're already destroying land, right, so let's kind of you know, Okay, you want to be on land, Go be on land, but try and figure out how you can preserve that one thing that gives us the line's share of the oxygen on the planet.
Speaker 4: Hey, are you going to what sit the whole time you're down there? How are you living? No, we just said what do you change? What do you change into? How did you live down there? What do you wear?
Speaker 1: It's one hundred percent human environment. That's the problem. It's always open to the bottom. So I wore that ring, the aura ring, to check my sleep and everything. When I was wearing that, there was this little maceration sort of thing because my ring was covering it. It was one hundred percent all the time. I had that little white ring around, your white pruney ring around where the ring was so little things like that. Any cut that I got didn't heal well at all. It took a long time to heal. So there's some obstacles, true obstacles to living underwater, and infection is certainly one of them. You know, ear infection would be a horrible one. It would be a mission hender.
Speaker 4: I'm curious because all the questions what do you wear? I just want what kind of question is? Why is not in a wetsuit? What he's wearing? What do you think he's wearing? It does a skirt? It got him to fascinating as far as the ring, it.
Speaker 3: Got there because he's fascinating.
Speaker 4: That doesn't mean you're my god, I don't criticize your dumb questions.
Speaker 3: Well, and I go like this, Hm, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: What are you wearing? This is like a phone sex ball what.
Speaker 6: Are you wearing?
Speaker 4: Or you asked what they charged for night? Who cares what they charged? Amazing discovery? Oh well, what I want for these prizes? All wear what I want to weary.
Speaker 5: Next time you go down, I got a cousin. You can get your rate and get your bed and breakfast rate. My god, So I'm curious you're gregarious guy. Was there any when you came up from that environment, we know the medical end of it where you dropped all of the inflammation stuff. Was there any depression after you came up? Was there anything psychologically to change?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what we did while we were down there because we wanted to find out what happens when you leave a human in an isolated can find extreme environments. We did nineteen psychological and psychosocial tests before during several times, and then after. And let me tell you something. When you live with yourself and you know, like I wasn't always alone, I spent a large portion of time alone, right, you got one person to talk to, and if you're not right with yourself, yeah, so yeah, there was a little bit of depression. Realistically, there was a little bit of anxiety. You know, there were a couple of areas where I was little concerned and confused. But what I did was I used that time to look inside and I did my meditative breathing. I focused a lot on my faith, you know, I focused a lot on my science. And look, man, your put your issues aside and do your job. That's basically the job that I wanted to do for that time.
Speaker 4: But how about coming up. How about after you came up?
Speaker 5: Did anything hit you a week later, two weeks later, three weeks later, Will you found yourself in some weird place.
Speaker 4: That you weren't in before that it may have impacted Yep.
Speaker 1: I had a bit of So yeah, there was a little bit of depression involved in that. And like I said, had I not been focusing so much internally, I may not have come through that as well as I could have. So what it says is, look, we're going to go on this spaceship for two hundred days just to get to Mars, and then another six to nine months to come back. Wait a minute, Wait a minute, we're going to send some resilient people out there. We better at least.
Speaker 3: If you were advising somebody like Musk or anybody that's putting together the idea of that kind of an extended and isolated trip.
Speaker 4: What would you say are.
Speaker 3: The most important factors to keep you know, people relatively sane?
Speaker 1: Crew selection criteria. This is absolutely the same as doing a saturation dive when you go underwater and you can't. You are living this close to you know, four or five of your closest friends, depending on how many people are coming on the mission. It's not like we're going to have this huge ship. I mean even elon ship thirty five feet across. There's not some freaking big right that a whole year. Yeah, you know, you can't like go outside to be like, hey, I gotta go, I gotta get out of here. I'm gonna look crazy. Right, So you have to work together. You have to live together, you have to train together. You have to pick open every scab and soar on that person until they are you know, them like an open book or you know they crack, you know, because you want to do that before you get on the plane to go to Mars. Right, you either want them to be solid or your whole team to be solid. It means team training. It means uh, you know, things like going to this underwater place and spending several months of the underwater place as a team. Why train like you fight, fight like you train?
Speaker 5: Right, It's interesting. I saw there's a Spain's Beatrice Flamini is the name. She spent five hundred days in the cave alone, and I read about her no contact. She was being monitored, but no contact, but she had no problem doing it and said I could have stayed stayed longer. So some people, I guess her ba are built that way. Although, like you said, you don't know how.
Speaker 4: She be on a mission.
Speaker 3: How would you do in the game if there was another person?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, and then how does that person react? And then when you poke them? You know, when you poke the bear, do they pop or do they just laugh?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Like at some point if you keep poking me, I just laughed at you. But you got to get to that point and know what's going to happen because you can't leave the spacecraft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're there, and you can end up losing it up. Well, there's another guy, the one Jason I talked about and prepping for it to Albert Woodfox who went to prison and lived in isolation for forty three years. Yeah, in isolation, and he was exonerated, and he said the way he did it was he kept chores, he kept positive the whole time. The poor guy gets out finally right when COVID hits, which is isolation and then dies from COVID.
Speaker 4: Yep, no way, yeah yeah, if.
Speaker 3: You look, if you look, it's one of the great miscarriages of justice and and just an existential tragedy.
Speaker 5: But it made he lived. He was the longest person to live in isolation that we know, forty forty three, forty three years. How about how about going for the first asthmatic to do thirty days underwater?
Speaker 4: Jason, Now it's I can I could do it. Let's set it up. I could do it. He's like, I, h, I think I could. I could do thirty days in that? All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't think I could do that? All right? Yeah? Wait, no, I'm not asking you a serious question. You don't think why? What would what would break me? What would get me? The list of wait, wait TOI you get annoyed, something would break? You go, what is this broken? It's a hotel. Something breaks. You call the office. And that's the other reason you can't do it, because it is what you just said. It's a hotel.
Speaker 5: Let's move on from this. This was a dumb question. So submersibles you went.
Speaker 4: And recommend to dare you?
Speaker 5: People don't know that how deep the Mariana trenches. It's like thirty five thousand feet down or something right.
Speaker 1: That thirty five plus?
Speaker 5: Okay, So there's a submersible that's going to all of the trenches as the deepest. If they can do that and people know what that takes, how did this submersible not I mean, I feel horrible to these people perished, But how is this submersible even allowed to go down?
Speaker 4: If? If it's if it if they know what it takes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I will tell you that I'm a fellow of the Explorers Club and some of the people that were in that submersible were literally friends.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of a heartbreaking sort of event. And I will tell you that a little bit of hubris goes a long way when it comes to pressure, because pressure is inevitable. I mean it really is. Once you get all this pressure pushing on you think about six pounds per square inch. And what what had tried to happen was a new and innovative design, and anybody who innovates through anybody who's out in front, anybody who's trying to work magic. Sometimes they get sometimes they get better.
Speaker 5: But you knew these guys, so you've known some of these guys. These were explorers. These are guys who had credentials and checked and thought obviously that it would work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean and it did in fact work several times. But the problem is repeatability of process. So you remember I told Jo was an expert in submersibles. When I was in the Navy, I helped design and build dry combat submersible here at Special Operations Command. The reason why that hull is not made out of some sort of a laid up carbon fiber over titanium, which we looked at. I literally looked at that design and it was like, there's no real repeatability of process, and there's no real way to test it except destructive testing. So every time you test something that you made, like when you take steel and you put it under water, it's not gonna deform. If it does deform, it's a problem. But it's not going to deform. You're gonna compress it. Let it go, compress it, let it go, compress it, let it go. So that's kind of the thing that we went with steel. It's easy enough to work. They wanted to do something different, make it lighter, composite, you know, composite wrapped around titanium, which.
Speaker 5: The integrity, the integrity kept kept being diminished, and they didn't know that they and realize the point that it did reach potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I cannot speak intelligently to that, unfortunately, but I can tell you what from my experience of carbon fiber laid over titanium. Yes, the uh, little bubbles in the carbon fiber make weak points and then when the pressure increases, all of a sudden, when you keep using it, it weakens that joint. Week is it weeks? It we sink. Also, when you use two dissimilar metals next to one another, you have problems, you have sharing, you have extension issues. So it's very very particular. Like you know, the Navy has made a manual called the man ten pet and it's the one on deep submergence. And every single thing that's in that book is written in blood because we hurt somebody and we say, okay, let's not do that again. Right, And this is in the heyday of doing underwater stuff. Right now, we realized that underwater stuff is hard, and going back to your question at the beginning, Guys, it's hard. It's hard, and it's expensive, and that's why, you know, that's why people are not really exploring the oceans unfortunately.
Speaker 3: These submarines that we hear about military submarines, I mean, I always thought, I don't know, I guess I'm reading too many novels that spy submarines would go down and those crews would be down for more than one hundred days?
Speaker 4: Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 1: Or ballistic missile submarines tend to go down for ninety day periods at a time. They have stayed longer than one hundred days, right, But remember that's a submarine. When you're in a submarine, you're at the same pressure you are at right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But those psychological aspects that we were talking about for something like a Mars mission, I mean, do those crews need to be vetted in the same way as you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. And you know, there's a very strict command structure on board of nuclear submarine. You know, there are things that have to be done in a certain order, and everybody that works into that is trained into that environment and they do. They train like they fight, and they fight like they train. So when they go order click, lights out. You know, there's no cell phone. There's no call in your girlfriend, there's.
Speaker 5: No Yeah, even with the increase in testosterone when you go down, there's no calling anybody. You just got to deal with that before you go. I got to ask you something. This may not be in your area of expertise, but it's fascinating to me because we set the institute that is studying communication with animals. They have whales and they click, they make like a popcorn sound, they make the whale singing sound. They got AI sampling and sampling and sampling and sampling trying to then decode what those things could possibly mean. Once it has a menu of all of that stuff with the intent of maybe being able to then communicating. Is that is that something that's that's that you know about or that's in the near future.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know how near a way it is. And here's why. When you are doing that type stuff, what you need is the visual response from the animal when they go what does that mean? That means left, turn right, So they have to have an accompanying video with say, hey, everybody turned left, so when they go that's a left turn or that's a right term whatever. You know, all those clips and rings and all of that stuff.
Speaker 3: I think you got a couple of the hand for a while because we're starting to get scared now.
Speaker 4: That was way too Thank you for being on doctor. What a pleasure you guys.
Speaker 3: When he says I did seven hours a day of science, did you catch with science? Was he's He's taking his own blood, he's taking his own urine, he's checking his own ears.
Speaker 4: He's the science was him. He was science.
Speaker 5: We know that that's no, but that's how we got to the Occyden one hundred days.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go down there and take my blood and check my my urine and washed it in the cup and see if my eyeballs expanded.
Speaker 5: And this is why we always think collectively, say, God, you're not the guy going back.
Speaker 3: To do the one hundred days. I don't think I have a problem with that. I don't want to. I need more activities, do any other things. You're in a tube, Jason, Yeah, you're in a tube.
Speaker 4: Trick.
Speaker 5: The amazing thing is that scholesterol went down over seventy points. That's pretty shory.
Speaker 4: That is the reason I would like to. By the way, I can't buy a lester down.
Speaker 3: If I could do that, rather than change my diet, if I just go down.
Speaker 5: So here's what that would sound like to people listening. How do you get your cholestero down.
Speaker 4: Number? Yeah, pretty fascinating. So cool guy. I liked him. And he didn't have to hold his breath. Well, holding breath is a thing. First of all, he went down twenty two feet. I don't want you went to by the way, twenty two feet. Guy did an amazing thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know he's also a navy die so he's been below twenty two feet. But the hotel was twenty two which is not you know, we're not talking, my gosh. So this is an area the world's deepest free dive.
Speaker 4: You know these people that they they take a.
Speaker 3: Lot of airran and then without benefit of anything down they go. They go as far as they can and then they slowly make that I don't understand why you do that. The guy, I assume it's a guy, it's a French name, so u Arnaud Gerald. He broke the world's record. You know what, the world hold your breath No for deepest, the deepest, deepest free dive twenty four.
Speaker 5: Feet, don't be don't being it. Whether it took me back home to he went down? See, I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Four hundred feet that's exactly right, four one hundred feet.
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 4: Yeah, under what but you said breath holding?
Speaker 3: So the professional the world this is the name, I'm sure, okay, but the person's name is Budemir and I think it's Zobat all right?
Speaker 4: How long? Did how long? How long?
Speaker 5: I kind of know that it's over. It's stunning. It's over twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: It's twenty four minutes and thirty seven second. All right, So now I will do something you're ready tell your friendly four minutes.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, gather around the radio, gather around the podcast, because I've got the secret here. It is the salting your sacred to holding your breath. Yeah, I will reveal. I've never people don't talk about this, but you got a figure. When James Cameron was doing Avatar, Yeah, did he do a casting call for actors and said I want Daniel d Lewis and said he can only go four and a half minutes with all the breather Lewis, But that's nothing that because you couldn't hold his breath. That's what I'm saying, is that how you cast? Because you read the Sigourney Weaver held her breath for six and a half minutes. I did not read that. Kate Winslet did seven minutes and fourteen seconds. Uh so of breathel how do you do? Tom Cruise did six minutes?
Speaker 3: And Cruise did but com Gruz was swimming like a son of a gun.
Speaker 5: So you want to hear the secret. Everbody you want to hear a secret, tell me here it is, and they don't. They don't tell you this. So your body when you're gasping for breath has CO two detectors. Then they're an oxygen detectors. Obviously it's more attuned to the CO two in your blood, the carbon nector. So your body immediately your brain gets a signal when there's a certain amount of CO two in your seeing sure your oxygen I think is we're breathing twenty one percent or something like that. So what these people do is they're breathing one hundred percent oxygen for fifteen or twenty minutes, which adjusts there. So so they got all of this blood rich in oxygen. Then they hyperventilate to get out even even more SEO two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure you can.
Speaker 5: If you do that, even untrained, you can probably hold your breath for a couple of minutes because your system doesn't kick in saying oh my gosh, oh my gosh, you're gonna you're gonna you're gonna need to breathe.
Speaker 4: You're gonna need to breathe. It overrides that system.
Speaker 5: So what they do with the Sigourney givers unless not unless jim Ca calls me, he tells.
Speaker 4: Me I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I'm sure before she trained they make something they.
Speaker 3: Should need a ham sandwich and then okay, I understand pretty sure they get it. Can I mention something else?
Speaker 4: Of course? Who's who? Before we get into it? Could you live in that.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Aquaman for a second, because we talked about oh, we're going to communicate. You brought up the whole thing we're going to communicate with the whales that would seem to be Aquaman's big power. You know, they're killing themselves to make an Aquaman movie that works. Can I tell them take a break? Because it didn't work. It didn't work as a content, it didn't work as a comic strip.
Speaker 4: It wasn't Aquaman. What are we talking about? He can a special skill. He can hold his breath, which apparently not anybody do that.
Speaker 3: He can swim really fast, really and he in the in the animated series, he could ride a giant seahorse.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen a giant seahorse? I've never seen one, But what do you do?
Speaker 3: But he could tell empathically communicate with animals to get them to do what exactly.
Speaker 4: Does a villain fifteen feet on land? Right? Yeah, all right, Aquaman's pointless at that point. Didn't have something else that must have had.
Speaker 3: I think he had a try, but I'm confused. I don't know if this was Aquaman or Ariel's father. In the last in the moment, I had a tried it. You know that like could sing, you could make fireworks. But I don't know, what is that exciting? How is that exciting?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: On the fourth of July, it's very exciting.
Speaker 4: I gotta try.
Speaker 6: I know we're going to get mail.
Speaker 5: But I watched a little Aquaman and it's just it just doesn't.
Speaker 4: MoMA is fine. But it's just who he's better on dry land. He's better on dry land. Everybody is.
Speaker 3: The only person not better on dry land was Esther Williams. After that in Aquaman? Who was who else is in there in that movie?
Speaker 4: Amber heard? Oh wow, okay, I'm no comment.
Speaker 3: And I can't remember. And Patrick Wilson plays the villain? And is it how much of the movie takes place underwater? Okay, all right if you like. By the way, by the way, they they was great underwater. The hair, you know, that's I love that. But they talking was on There was no they talked like you and I are talking now.
Speaker 4: I don't know. And when he communicated, did he do it like our guy? When he.
Speaker 3: No, he did not? Just it's telete. Yeah, you think.
Speaker 5: The Jason was on the right Jason Mom sitting there born, I could go for a tuna sandwich right now and every right into his mouth.
Speaker 3: Could you do the isolation? Forget the environment? Could you do?
Speaker 4: Because you talked about this unbelievable?
Speaker 5: I could, and then I couldn't. I think I could because of COVID preppticed a little bit. I could see if you weren't alone, But I wasn't alone.
Speaker 4: But I wish, I wish. I'm kidding, it's it's a tough one.
Speaker 5: Everything I've read about isolation is really tough that you start.
Speaker 3: Really losing your I don't think I could do it. I do not like being Look, I have never as an adult. I mean, I've done like you know, when I've been on the road and stuff. I'm not with Dana, but I've never lived alone. I went from college roommate, college friends. I had a roommate when I came out of college for alone, and then I met Dana, and Dana and I have been together ever since.
Speaker 4: I have never lived there.
Speaker 5: And I like living alone. I like being alone. I'll get stuff done alone for a period of time.
Speaker 3: I'm okay for when I have to do like a stay. If I go out of town to do a play or do something, I'm good for a week, two or three, and after that I go.
Speaker 5: I don't like but your work is social. You're usually in stuff with other people.
Speaker 3: So that's that's really when I come home to the empty hotel room or then, and I tell you the worst, I cannot I can't go to bed. So Dana and I we get into bed, we turn off the lights. We go to sleep, the actor turning off the lights and going, I'm gonna be unconscious now for a couple of us.
Speaker 4: I can't do it.
Speaker 3: I have to have the TV on and I have to fall asleep to the TV, which is not a sound sleep.
Speaker 5: It's it's dude, I got to tell you this, and my wife will listening to this episode, but I got to tell you. When I'm alone, She's like, I miss her. On the other hand, I'm eating in bed, I'm watching what I want to watch it. I don't have to. I can't do And then she gets something. She goes is staying in the bed? Did you have food in the bed? I go, why would I eat food in the bed? Why would you say?
Speaker 4: I what do you got?
Speaker 8: Well, you really gave me a lot right there at the end, there a yeah Aquaman, which was a shoot from the sub Mariner.
Speaker 3: I believe Naymore was the prince of the It was sub Mariner, and then it was.
Speaker 9: Well, I don't think the people at DC really care. It grows over over a billion dollars, okay, all right, one zero billion.
Speaker 6: Worldwide is the highest grossing d C EU whatever.
Speaker 9: That is film highest grossing film based on a DC Comics character in the fifth highest grossing film of two thousand and eight.
Speaker 6: They're about to release the sequel. They were just what.
Speaker 4: I'm looking on Rotten Tomatoes right now. You keep talking, I'm going to check rout to the UH and Peter, how are you pronouncing the star's name? I just want to.
Speaker 9: Okay, I just thought you were putting in a William William I said was in.
Speaker 6: I thought you said something different.
Speaker 4: That's all. A Nicole kidman was in that. Oafette was in it.
Speaker 9: A lot of people were a very talented and professional people were in there.
Speaker 6: So and I there is one other correction. The released individual Albert A.
Speaker 9: Wood Fox, who was the prisoner in isolation for forty three years that was wrongly convicted and then tragically died. He is not the longest to be in solitary confinement.
Speaker 6: That is Robert.
Speaker 9: Moldslee, who is a British Man who was in forty five years of isolation, which means twenty three out of twenty four hours a day he was in his cell. It's interesting though, he's actually called Hannibal the Cannibal.
Speaker 4: Based on the silence of the Lamb's.
Speaker 9: Character for a couple of reasons, one of which is his isolation cell has that glass oh right, like you will remember from that absolutely yeah yeah yeah, like you like when Clarice's would have that yeah, interplay with him.
Speaker 1: And he it's very clear he he did do what they said he did.
Speaker 9: So he's not a very nice guy, but still.
Speaker 4: Like your stuff. It's really terribul Thank you, sir.
Speaker 3: Wow, by the way, you Appleman sixty six on rutten to man doesn't matter it made a billion.
Speaker 4: I didn't say it.
Speaker 6: Was well well reviewed. It wasn't well reviewed.
Speaker 4: I didn't care for it myself.
Speaker 3: When you and I make when Peter and I make things, we don't get good reviews, but we don't make a billion dollars either.
Speaker 4: That you found funny, that you found funny? Really no, really, and we're.
Speaker 3: You I so underwood. We'll see you next time. Yeah, announce it.
Speaker 4: I will take us.
Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 6: Really really.
Speaker 2: That's another episode of really you know really comes to a cruise. You may be asking where researchers believe the lost sunken city of Atlantis might be located. Well, I'll tell you in just a moment, but first let's thank our guest doctor Joseph to Turry.
Speaker 6: You can find them on Instagram at doctor.
Speaker 2: Deep Sea, on the web at DOCTORDEPC dot com, and you can find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at Really No Really podcast. And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift.
Speaker 6: Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts.
Speaker 2: Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now, Where is the legendary lost city of Atlantis? This is a mystery that has confounded researchers and explorers for decades. No one's been able to claim a definitive location for the ancient city mentioned in the writings of Plato, but currently there is speculation from noted scientists that place Atlantis off of Greece, Crete, Cyprus, the Nile, Delta, Sardinia, Malta, Turkey, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Britain, the America's Antarctica, and the North Pole.
Speaker 6: Or, if I may paraphrase.
Speaker 2: These noted scientists, we don't know where the lost city of Atlantis is.
Speaker 6: Please stop asking.
Speaker 2: Really No, Really is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment