Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas. I'm Leanna Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacob and hey, welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women, and particularly this time for the Christmas season.
Speaker 1: Woo. This podcast is a safe wait is that right?
Speaker 2: You're gonna put your headphones on?
Speaker 1: That's what's different. It's like something is off. Hello. Hello. Even as I started, could you see that? I felt so uneasy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: This podcast is where am I?
Speaker 2: Why can I hear it?
Speaker 1: This podcast is a safe house swap for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching The Holiday Daddy. Yes, Oh I am Daddy, a Christmas rom com written and directed by women.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Warning there will be spoilers about this flirty yeah, this flirty uh oldish film.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Oh, Sanna, you had seen this before.
Speaker 1: I had seen it before, and I can come very pessimistically listen to my prediction. Shall we?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna I'm about to watch The Holiday. Yeah, I've seen this movie, I guess a handful of times.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Wow, I never really remember my feeling on it. There are parts of it I think that might be kind of annoying. But I shouldn't be making grand calls like that one. I just can't remember that I predict. I know these two ladies will switch houses. Yea, and what's her name? Princess Fiona? Sorry. Cameron Diaz is like she's heartless, she just can't be warm with her husband, her her boyfriend, but then she's warm with Jude Law. Is that what happens? And then Kate Winslet is sort of just in a film bro world and she's like, oh and she's an editor. Yeah no, no, camer Diaz is the editor. Yeah, because then they switch and yeah yeah, yeah okay, and she's like, wow, it's so cool to be in this la world where I meet this old writer guy and also I meet somebody awesome, like a film bro like Jack Black.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see how we like it, all right, I love you goodbye? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, that's pretty fair. Well, Leanna, let's listen to your prediction of the Holiday you had not seen this, No, let's jure it.
Speaker 2: Hello, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm not you could get hungover, and I'm about to watch the Holiday. I've never seen this before. I know Cameron Diaz and Jude la in it. I predict maybe it's she's in England and he is in a sweater and it's Christmas. And then I saw a photo on the Internet that looks like there's also a child in it, so I also maybe it'll span many years. Maybe it's about No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just feel like it's like that I get we jump in there and I don't know why, love you Bye? What was happening in the background.
Speaker 2: Uh that was my laundry machine. Oh, in a slashy slashy face of the cycle.
Speaker 1: Sloshy laundry. That's kind of the feeling that the English part had of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if you heard what I said at the beginning of the recording.
Speaker 1: You're not hungover?
Speaker 2: No, no way, no way Am I hungover?
Speaker 1: Were you?
Speaker 2: I'm certainly not hungover at all.
Speaker 1: No, are you hungover?
Speaker 2: It couldn't possibly be. No, I'm neither hungover nor am I coming down with something. No, I'm one Christmas lunch. Fine, yes, you.
Speaker 1: Went hard at Christmas lunch, hey girl.
Speaker 2: Not even hey girl. It was our office Christmas lunch yesterday, which once again this social went from twelve thirty to eight thirty pm. But it was not nearly at all. It wasn't at all like the summer social, which almost killed me. I just don't I remember the socials go for eight hours. No, but our summer social we did sip and paint and then we went somewhere else, and then we went to a third location. And again yesterday I went to a love departation. They just can drink, they can they they do endurance drinking. Wow, And I can't hang, I cannot keep up. I didn't even have that much. Well, I had a lot of prosecco and then I had two spicy margaritas at this the third place, and that was it. It really like I wasn't like slashed, like my laundry was in the background without recording. But I think it was just so many hours of being social. This week has been everything happens so much. Yeah, so I woke up today Hello, not all over it all and definitely not coming down with an ailment that certainly two of my colleagues had Atristmas.
Speaker 1: No, no, it can't be, it can't be.
Speaker 2: No, it's not happening.
Speaker 1: Hey, girl, you're supposed to tell me about the time you got a tarot reading.
Speaker 2: Also, oh my god, we were.
Speaker 1: Talking off Mike.
Speaker 2: About yes, yes, thank god you remembered.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Wow, I can't believe it. I so you got a taro reading this week that was very christ which makes me laugh so much. So I got a tarot reading on Halloween also at a work at a work event, because it was free, and it was a kind gay person with a tarot deck. And the question that I went up to them with was should I just like romantically speaking, should I just give up? And they unfolded the cards, and every other card they gasped, they went and then when when the whole deck was laid out, they looked at me and they said, have you suffered greatly? Because it's giving suffering.
Speaker 1: How often in life does somebody look at you in the eyes and say have you suffered greatly?
Speaker 2: And then they gen zify it and they say it's giving suffering.
Speaker 1: It's giving suffering.
Speaker 2: And you said, well, okay, so and then they're like, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Should give up. Did they say that?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, just romantically speaking, that's insane. I know the cards were not in my favor apparently, Well.
Speaker 1: Those are just supposed to, you know, give you a feeling about what your response to that kind of thing is and go forward with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, they also drew every card that signifies death.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this person was in touch with the spirit world.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest, I think they were in touch with all of my crushes at once.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, it's such a bad track record. I think you need to do a couple more before you. I think you need to get I need to get a second opinion. I definitely need to get a second opinion.
Speaker 1: I haven't been talking into the mic.
Speaker 2: No. I wondered why you sounded so far away. What happened? You put everything on like mirror images?
Speaker 1: Put it on wrong? Oh wow, hey girls, so funny. Sorry that happened. Well. On the flip side, I had basically the opposite thing happened at a terror reading just yesterday. As you know, I've already told me on to this because we called immediately. I was so shook. I went to were those situations where you go when you're like, huh, that was kind of funny, and then an hour later you're like that was arable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went to a tarot reading and halfway through I realized the person was generically hitting on me. Yeah, it's Christmas time, it's I'm here at this event alone, like it'll be silly even though it's a man doing it. And that was my first mistake, I think, because I was staring at this man in the eyes, he thought that I had it's a thing for him. Where really I just paid.
Speaker 2: For the service, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh halfway through he said something disgusting trigger morning for a guy being gross, which is I was talking. He was like, you need to get a morning routine. I also, oh, I didn't tell you. I texted you later. I forgot to tell you that. When he was talking about his morning routine, he was like, yeah, I figured out my morning routine because I was got really into shat GPT for a while and I would text it. I would I would type in a lot of things like what psychological cycles am I going through? That keep I keep going down the same cycles? What should I be working on? And it told me what to work on and then I typed in, what's a good morning routine? And so that I can kind of get in touch with the things that I keep these cycles. I was so unimpressed and un interested in this, but I'm like, oh, okay, it's like it's so cool. I love I love that thing already. This man is not connected to the spirit world and I'm not connected to him in any way. But again, I'm sitting here for this service. And by the way, the tarot deck it was his own cards that he made and was trying to sell me the whole time.
Speaker 2: And then second morning routine peddler from the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 1: That is exactly what it felt like. Men are so embarrassing, like so embarrassing. I'm sorry. I He goes, what's your morning routine? And I'm like, or you need to you know, maybe you should work on having a good morning routine. And I'm like, oh, yeah, I could really work on that. My routine right now is not great. And he goes, oh, yeah, I know, wake up, stay in bed, watch some porn, drink some coffee.
Speaker 2: Like what.
Speaker 1: No. No, Leanna and I were joking that we think that maybe he has a really he was trying to feel better about himself. So he asked everybody who comes and sto in front of him. It's like, so I can see from this that you're a porn addict. Right, we all are.
Speaker 2: Your morning routine is you're watching porn.
Speaker 1: Right, we're all watching a lot of porn.
Speaker 2: You watch porn. Uh, It's like, that's not your porn.
Speaker 1: That's nothing close to what my issue is at all. Anyway, it was immediately afterward also he did the thing where he's like, I'm on.
Speaker 4: To you e. It was a horrible it's horrible. And then he charged me thirty dollars. I gave him thirty of my US dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh god, have you done done?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was cursed. It was an incredibly cursed experience.
Speaker 2: Oh and he was also not connected to this peers connected to this world. It was connected to his WiFi. It was pornography.
Speaker 1: But speaking of men just being garbage and that being the whole point. Yeah, shall we move on talking about the girl? Yes, that's away. Let's a way to talk about the holiday. I have a bit of a synopsis, if we shall please, Okay, the holiday Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz do a holiday house swap to escape heartbreak and stuckness in their own respective lives in England and Los Angeles. Both of them learn about themselves to this experience and even find a bit of love in ways they never could have expected. And it's Christmas. The end. Kate Winsley is in Hollywood. She meets the Hollywood old writer and Jack Black and she loves it. And do they all end up in England in the end. I don't really know where they are. They do.
Speaker 2: They're all at Jude Law's house on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: Which is crazy because karviin Diaz very much makes her money in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's gonna This is long.
Speaker 2: This is two decades before remote working is really a viable option.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so anyway, should we just get into our phoneus?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Girl?
Speaker 2: What did you think about it this time around?
Speaker 1: I will say I actually enjoyed a lot more than I thought I was going to this time around, particularly when it began. I think I usually am tuning it out at the beginning, okay, And I think the reason I liked it so much when it began is that they hated men so much.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's like, are there any men in your town? And Kate Winslet is like no, and she's like, great, when can I come?
Speaker 1: It's so awesome. I enjoyed all of that.
Speaker 2: Still.
Speaker 1: The things that I remember being annoyed by, I was still annoyed by. But I think because I find them so annoying already as a default, Like when my family wants to watch this movie, I usually feel like, ugh, I don't really want to watch that. Wow, so they watch it together often. It's just one of the Christmas movies we have in our rotation. It kind of feels a different it fills a different role than it's like the rom com Christmas movie. Yeah, yeah, and I did actually get what was fun about it this time around. I find Cameron di Has to be a very awkward actor.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 1: I find it's quite cringey to me. But I think because I was expecting the worst, I ended up enjoying things because I hadn't taken in how much I love Kate Winslet until watching this. But I do love her.
Speaker 2: I love her so much.
Speaker 1: But I'm excited to talk about it, and if we find any problems, I'm completely on the same page.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yaha. What was your take? How did you feel?
Speaker 2: I think I hated it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, this is completely fair because that is how I feel about this movie as well, Like whenever somebody wants to watch it, I don't feel good about it. Yeah, but I think I came in more open minded because I've been such a hater.
Speaker 2: But I hire I had. I think I had really high expectations for it. I thought it was going to be very jam packed with comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I forgot that men in two thousand and three could just say whatever in the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. There is so much you're not like the other girl's energy. Yeah, there is so much, which I know that these women writers at the time, that's what they had to do.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, this is a special woman.
Speaker 1: I write her because she is actually she kind of like a normal woman. Yeah, we have to pitch it to the men who have the money, like she's unlike every woman who's ever existed. And then Jack Black is there playing like a normal guy, which is just very disturbing to watch.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And he has like a skinny, low rise gen girlfriend and that's the default because it's from when it's rise Gen.
Speaker 2: Sorry everyone. A man is banging on the front door of the place that I'm staying by myself, so I actually have to hide. I'll be back in a few minutes. Welcome everybody to phone notes.
Speaker 1: This is the.
Speaker 2: Festive section of the podcast where we look at the Christmasy notes that the other person took on their holiday phone while watching The Yule Tide.
Speaker 1: F Leanna, you immediately say, oh, we're kissing? Which part was that?
Speaker 2: That's the first shot where it turns out the cheat black is like scoring somebody in a period piece.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Keep saying like, I think I just wasn't in the place to be watching the movie. But it seems like I'm not really in a place. Maybe I'll never be in a place yeah to watch a movie, because I keep being like, oh, and this week was no exception. Now, maybe it's because I'm certainly not hungover and definitely not becoming ill, but I did not need to see that. I'm so really to see two people smooching.
Speaker 1: I'm so relieved you didn't like this movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I really didn't. And I was speaking. I talked to them before. I was like, yeah, I'm watching the Holiday and They're like, oh, okay, like I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. And then after I was like, I don't think that was good, and they were like, yeah, I hate that movie. Yeah, it's really get the hype around it. And I was like, oh, there are.
Speaker 1: Lines like I know this is early, but this is the perfect The perfect line to sum it up is when Kate Winslet, who's an amazing actress, just in the middle of this movie. She's just in the middle of this movie.
Speaker 2: Oscar winning question Mark.
Speaker 1: She goes, she goes. It turns out this writer who I'm friends with now, it turns out he's the one who wrote look he added the kid to he is looking at you kid, And Jack Black goes and it totally makes the line and she goes.
Speaker 2: It was so inside Baseball Los Angeles. It was a writer writing about writers in LA and I'm so sick of that genre. It's so uninterested. It has no appeal to anybody who doesn't work in the industry. It's so indulgent, it's so self referential and self praise. It like it's so masturbatory.
Speaker 1: No it is.
Speaker 2: Oh, I hate it, I really hate it. I hate it so much.
Speaker 1: Leona, I actually just want to read some of your notes. You've said, he misses his dead wife. We're doing the unrequitded love thing. No thanks later. You also said stop saying Haggard and Sienna. Is this movie terrible? And the answer is yes, it is. I was realizing slowly. I was like, wait, it's is this really terrible? It's not very good.
Speaker 2: No, it is so surprised because also the other Nancy Meyers film I've seen was It's Complicated with Marril, and I really enjoyed that one. I think there's many more like laugh per every ten minutes than there were in The Holiday. I don't think the Holiday was very funny.
Speaker 1: It's really really, you know how wicked. One of the reasons it's so great is that you just go, wow, this is so well cast. They really decided to make this good instead of just going with weird Hollywood choices, you know, like even Ariana Grande they were like, I do not know if we want to cast her because she's a pop star whatever, we have to see her. And it's just because she was so good that they're like, oh, of course we're gonna put her. You know, they weren't like, we gotta put a star in here. Yeah, and that's exactly the opposite of this. This, this had all the symptoms of I think it's completely It feels like something a woman started working on that she had to get it through a bunch of men, and she's like, oh, oh, so these fun women, how about they're like not like any of the other women, And we put in a girl in there who we hate so we can see what a good woman looks like. And then also we'll put in a bunch of movie references and pay homage to all of your heroes, all the men who love movies.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Oh Siena, Yeah, okay, your first note you wrote, office Christmas parties are so significant in our culture. I'm not sure if I'll ever experience one.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'll ever go to an office Christmas party, just like the way.
Speaker 2: That I think they really exist. I think in the movies they're huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is, so many sexy things happen at office Christmas parties, even though that seems entirely inappropriate. Yeah, I know, I get the impression from an outside perspective, as somebody who's only done freelance and production. I get the impression that office Christmas parties are where your corporation, where your company makes you feel they stress you out all year long and make you feel like you have no rights, and then they throw a really big party. Ah, so that you get to like, I'm going I'm going to my partner's Christmas party. It's fun. Oh my gosh, you're about to experience I know, actually, sorry, Honka party works at a Jewish cultural center. Never mind, it's a holiday party. But I'm going to experience a holiday part yeah, and it'll be interesting. But he's like, yeah, it's gonna be here. There's so much food, there's karaoke, they rent out the biggest whatever. And I'm like, why are they doing all that? And I think so they don't have to pay people more.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my gosh, Sienna, I had a similar question for you, but yours is better. You said where would you want to house swap? And I was gonna ask you which would which of these two places would you rather spend Christmass or England?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Alone, I'd rather be in England as well, probabably. Yeah, I mean it's tough because la is where all my friends are right now, but yeah, uh, but uh, definitely it sounds when she got to I felt so bad for Kate Winsley when she arrived and she's like, oh, here I am Angelie's Merry Christmas. I'm like, yeah, you have.
Speaker 2: A breath in deeply on the highway. I'm like, girl, don't break to it just shortened your life.
Speaker 1: People out they're not in La by the way. The air here is terrible. It's really it's palpable. There's no way she arrived. I really was thinking about that. I was thinking, if she's used to this her whole life, like this snowy Christmas when she got there, now, would it feel exciting and feel good to have sort of a Hollywood Christmas? Because it's just super depressing to me. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: She's huge, amazing, Okay, what we what we also must consider is she's coming from England where the sun is setting at three thirty people right December, and it's so cold yep, and she's able to like swim outdoors and is in a gorgeous mansion.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's definitely so many DVDs. This was the pinnacle of d I wish distance.
Speaker 1: I wish we could just admit what this movie really wanted to be, which is a love affair with a home. This is a woman that is So that's exactly what Nancy Meyers does. That's her movies because she knows, at the end of the day, it's not about men. You know, you can get married to one, yeah, he'll become annoying or die, But at the end of the day, it's about a woman in her home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's architectural digest for the girlies.
Speaker 1: They talk. There's all these there's all these books and stories about a man and his and his car, or a man and his and his dog, dog, his horse or whatever. But a woman and her home. Yeah, it's a beautiful thing. Yeah, that's what she gets to have her comfy bed, that's what she was here for. And then she ends up and then Jack Black just kind of it. She ends up going out with him.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to question Mark. Where would you want a house swap oireland?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah? I thought of that just now, but it sounds amazing. But I mean, it would be nice if I was house swapping for like a week. Honestly, I would be I would I would go out more if I was somewhere where I spoke the language, and unfortunately I mostly speak English. So if I was doing, if I already was having that much upset, I would probably go to an English speaking place. But mm hmmm, yeah, that that sounds amazing to me. Oh, cows, cows, Leanna. What about you. Have you been to the countryside over there? I feel like you need to make a friend who.
Speaker 2: All the time. I'm in the countryside constantly. I was in the countryside like four times.
Speaker 1: I guess that's yeah, and I do know that, and I'm aware of that, of course I know that. But if you've been to a little cottage.
Speaker 2: I've been to some bed and breakfasts that used to be cottages or one was three cottages smashed together for these like in a medieval village.
Speaker 1: Building, and they're like, oops, we've we've voted to another one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh another one we put them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in that way, yes, And it's been very the countryside because it's been near national parks. It's like nature nature forward Gorgina. I would want a house swap.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a genius idea. I have a few friends whose parents really do the house swapping thing.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Yeah, I love, but I would not ever trust anyone unfortunately, Like I wouldn't invite them into my home.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 2: I do think like the image on the website for I think Bora Bora that comes up when she.
Speaker 1: Googles vacation.
Speaker 2: Because it's one of those like bungalows that's right on the water and you like dive out your door into the ocean. I don't really want that. I was like, yeah, you would do.
Speaker 1: A kayak for one.
Speaker 2: You want to hear something so sad. It's like the same one, the boat that's one made for one person. When my family was in Maine with my brother and one of his girlfriends. He has one girlfriend at the time. Let me be clear, but this was a girlfriend he's not currently said.
Speaker 1: It's the form of reveal that your brother is an incredible sleeves ball.
Speaker 2: My brother's Polly. Oh yeah, he's a policy except he's not.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: There were three kayaks and my parents were in one double, my brother and his girlfriend were in one double, and I was in a single. So when she was like kayak for one, I would rather die, I was like, okay, all right. And then when Kate Winslet was doing her whole unrequited left thing.
Speaker 1: I was like, all right, okay, oh my god, sorry Leoni, you said this poor dog being accosted by a drunk American. That scene was very difficult to watch.
Speaker 2: She's scream singing to mister Brightside, and Kate Winslet leaves her dog in the cottage and is like, I guess also, my dog's gonna be there for the two weeks that you're there banging my brother in my bed. But imagine being a dog. You live in the English countryside with your sad owner who's heartbroken but a quiet journalist. And then she leaves and for some reason American enters who's so so drunk on mister Brightside, she mocks you. She goes to the store and picks up a bottle of red wine that she drinks mostly at the store, and then she comes back and puts mister Brightside on the stereo.
Speaker 1: Does she even feed that dog?
Speaker 2: We never see that the dog is not in the second half of the film.
Speaker 1: To accept Cameron Diaz's performance in this is to accept a world that is not my own. I disagree with everything she does going on. She's looking at that dog and she's like, I know that. They say, Cameron Diaz act really cute, but unfortunately she's a very odd, awkward person, and it just feels incredibly forced and strange.
Speaker 2: Couldn't company like not have chemistry with a dog on screen?
Speaker 1: That's how it felt. It was very weird. It was very weird. Yeap Lea, you've said Lelana has said, if someone's drunk brother banged on my door in the middle of the night, I would shoot him with a rifle.
Speaker 2: This, honestly was the craziest part of the film to me is when Jack Black buzzes the gate at Kate Winslet's homestay and she lets him in in his car. I was like, you're living there alone. Do not let anyone in. You're alone. And then Jude Law breaks almost down the door of a little cottage in the middle of the night and is drunk off his pants. How are you not killing that man with a gun? Why on earth would you answer the door?
Speaker 1: I mean, so scary, it just it.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm this is not for the girlies who've traveled alone before, because none of this is behavior that human women would do.
Speaker 1: What's it? What is it? Again? In Best of Show, where he's like, I'll stab you with a fork or something.
Speaker 2: Else, to you with forks and telling you bleed exactly. And I get that it's Jude law, but any man who's incredibly drunk is scary.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And then to be like, come in, come in.
Speaker 1: Do you want to have sex? I'm gonna say it. We shouldn't have to have sex right now. You are the most interesting woman I've ever known. You win the award for the most interesting woman.
Speaker 2: I was constantly reminded throughout this of do you remember that TikTok I sent you of? It's like some comedian guy here doing like what rom coms have taught people to think British men are, Like, this is what British men are actually like. And one of the lines is like, oh, sugar tits, so what's your muff?
Speaker 1: Versus like, you are just the most interesting woman I never met.
Speaker 2: I've never seen anyone so beautiful in the show Us Off.
Speaker 1: Get that out of my head.
Speaker 2: The movie show Us Off such a funny So I hate.
Speaker 1: His character coming in first, this character he comes in and he's like, I normally don't respond to women. I hate them all, and I mistreat them, and she's like, well, you don't have to worry about that because I don't know how.
Speaker 2: To cry any feelings. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What Then he's like, you actually were really good at sex, by the way, She's like, well, you better get out of here. Things might get complicated. He's like, no one's ever said that to me before. They all just want me. How about you meet my daughters and I actually be really nice to you, okay.
Speaker 2: Also, they try to convince us that he's seeing a bunch of women, because like, somebody called Sophia calls him, and then somebody calls somebody called Olivia calls him and he answers. The vote of the is like oh hey, hello ha. But with Sophia, he's like, oh, I'll get that later. And it's his nine year old daughter calling him on the phone. What Also, wait, are they both his daughters? The Olivia and Sophia?
Speaker 1: Are those the names daughters? Sorry?
Speaker 2: Do they both have their own cell phones? I don't know they're calling me individually. He's the wealthiest book editor in the world in his range rover and mansion. I don't think the.
Speaker 1: Cell phones at the time like that exactly.
Speaker 2: It's all so stupid. I just can't imagine being nine years old and calling my dad and he's like, i'll get that later.
Speaker 1: In a world where two women are legally required to put multiple ad breaks in their show, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Oh, Ciana, you wrote, I hate watching Jack Black behave like a regular guy.
Speaker 1: It disturbs you.
Speaker 2: What's your Jack Black vibe?
Speaker 1: I like him when he comes in and he's like, yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly same. I love when he's singing and being silly.
Speaker 1: He's so funny. He manages to walk the line. When he's being that version of himself. Anyone else would be cringey and he's not. He's not crazy. But when he comes in and he's like subshody, he is the cringiest. You didn't say that, but that was his vibe. Or he's like, I'm the luckiest man alive because I have this skinny girlfriend and he's like, she was mean to me, and now the skinny girl that's being nice to me. I actually like her, and that's how I know I'm in love with her.
Speaker 2: Oh have you seen Jumanji the live act? The new jum Have you? He's amazing in it?
Speaker 1: That makes sense. I think he is so talented I love him very.
Speaker 2: Much performance of a damn lifetime in Jumanji.
Speaker 1: I think he is such a talented performer. I love him so much. But it's complete. For there was a while in the two thousands like this, they were like, he's an everyman, you know, you know, he doesn't he doesn't look like Jude Law, so he's a little bit more normal, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like he I mean, he's funny, like how every male Hollywood writer sees himself right the super incredibly talking to funny guy women and like so sensitive and cool and kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't give him instead, he's being different cool. They decide that all these things are good traits, even though he just seems like a guy I would hate hanging out with. He's so obsessed with himself and so annoying. Like everything that they're supposed to be charming, it's so annoying. He's explaining fast her the whole time, he's teaching her stuff, and she's like that's cool. Then he's like, oops, accidental, Bob Grays, sorry about that. The kind of guy that we know now you want to get away from. But at the time, the guys writing this, we're like I'm the good guy, get out. Yeah, and then the guys who are writing this all got me too, like twenty years later, and we're all like, yeah, we hated you, and they're like the good guy you're not anyway. I love Jack Black, get me wrong, I love him very much, but I want to see him be nacho leebra. I don't want to see him be yeah you know the they just weren't using him right in this or I want to see him be like this is just a tribute.
Speaker 2: Right, and you wrote Most Interesting Girl Award. Men are so embarrassing. They're so embarrassing. I'm sorry say that. I know that a woman. Ta wait, somebody said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes most Interesting Girl, lord goes to oh god, he thinks she's interesting because she's like, I think we should have have sex and then get out here. I can't cry for some reason. I haven't cried since well, my parents got divorced and the next day my dad left. I haven't cried since then. I really thought about the woman on TikTok who's always doing that, you know, like the like I'm just a girl, who oh my laundry, I'm sorry, scary, scary, so scary. Yeah, absolutely, uh Leoni, you've also said Barry kiss miss hee. Okay he he he.
Speaker 2: This is how I know this film was not written by comedy experts because when she is visiting his house and meets his daughters, one of the daughters is like, I like your lipstick, and it's like thank you.
Speaker 1: And the daughter is like, what color is it cold?
Speaker 2: And she's like, it's called Barry kiss. And I was like, oh, well, somebody's inches away from saying Barry kiss, miss, because this is a Christmas film. And then no one said Barry kiss.
Speaker 1: Miss, so you had to be the one.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what the hell? And instead he was like, my wife is dead. I was like, no, instead of a dead wife, just say Barry kiss kiss miss. It's not hard. It's not hard at all. That's what That's what everyone wants. Hey, if you're out there today and you're thinking about writing a misogynist script, try instead writing Barry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: That's that's what women want. Women want to hear Barry Chistmas. Okay, not my wife is dead and I miss her so much. I miss my dead wife.
Speaker 1: Taking notes out there on, come on, that's a perfect impression of the children. By the way, that's exactly what they were like.
Speaker 5: Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: We never had we had.
Speaker 5: She got.
Speaker 1: I miss my dead mummy. Oh my gosh, Leanna, you said, a hang where a man tells you a bunch of movies to watch, a barfy face. That is what happens. That's what they're like. That is what by the way, you people, that is what you're like. You people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's terrible, it's heinous, terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: I do thank God that we have become women in an era where it's acceptable to not tolerate that behavior, because I remember when I was in high school touring a college. I was like chatting with a cute boy who went there, and he started listing books that I should read, like philosophy books, and I was like, oh, let me write this down. And I'm so grateful that that girl is dead and that I am. Now, yeah, the sad woman that I am. Yep, yep, yep, who hates men?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I of course don't. Don't say that. I work mostly with them.
Speaker 1: Leonna, you said your final two notes are essential, which is OMG. Me. Watching Little Women twenty nineteen, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: When she finally cries in the car and tears are coming out of her ables and she's like I was like, yeah, honestly, same me a week ago, finally crying for the first time in months because it was of little women.
Speaker 1: I saw Wicked again last night, but I took a pill like halfway through the day and I didn't cry nearly as much as I meant to. Oh, which is too bad.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: I was really like to see Wicked again. I'm so excited to see Oh my gosh, it was so good. And Leona, your final note is girl, close the gate. The sheep are going to escape. So they own sheep?
Speaker 2: I don't think they do. I think maybe a farmer nearby owns those sheep. But the scene of Catherine Catherine Cameron Diaz running through the snow in her kitten heels and laughing maniacally to get back to the cottage that Jude Law is crying in. She runs through the field of sheep, and as a woman who has solo traveled through the English countryside, I know that all those gates that you have to open have signs on them that say please close behind you, because there is livestock grazing in this field, and it's right next to a road. But she leaves the gate open and her personal gate open. Why do we think the dog isn't In the second half of the film, bitch keeps leaving doors open over where.
Speaker 1: She goes talk about it. They cut out a scene where Kate Winslet is in.
Speaker 2: Distress and she's like, where's my fucking dog?
Speaker 1: Where's my dog?
Speaker 2: I like to think that the dog moved out because he was like the dog woman out blasting mister Brightside and having sex in my owner's bed. I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this isn't this isn't appropriate. Well, how should we move on to badges and trages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Welcome everyone to badges and tradges where we award badges, badges for beautiful homes, yes.
Speaker 1: And tradges for trading beds and then banging in them.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for Kate Winslet is in this okay, badge?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll just do I'll do this now. I have a badge for Kate Winslet, specifically. She really is the reason the movie is watchable at all.
Speaker 2: But a talented, talented day.
Speaker 1: I love her. I love her.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for narration. When Kate Winslet is reading her column at the beginning before she goes to her office Christmas party, love, I just love it felt a little bit love. Actually, it felt very love actually that scene.
Speaker 1: But an office Christmas party is like a romantic nineties liminal space that can never be recreated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? Uh, A badge for a woman being excited about her surroundings. For some reason, I loved that. I would watch a lot more movies. That's just a girl going Oh, I love this, I love that. I can't wait. Just wim in the pool. Oh my god, my, that is so comfy. I love that so much. Why not more of that?
Speaker 2: Have you ever watched the show The World's Most Extraordinary Homes? No? Have I talked to you about this?
Speaker 1: No? I don't think. I think.
Speaker 2: I hope it's still on Netflix. It was on Netflix during the pandemic. And it's two British co hosts visiting extra ordinary homes and just loving it. And one is a man, but one is a woman named Caroline, who's so funny and she's just always like, ooh, I love it. She gets to swim in a pool at one point and she's like, that's one of the best things.
Speaker 1: I've ever done in my life. Okay, I have to watch. She's having such a great time.
Speaker 2: It's perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. A badge for Catherine Hahn. Oh yeah, she's briefly in this.
Speaker 2: She's this for one minute and incredibly pregnant. Also John Krasinski, Yeah, I didn't really not the same not the same badge for English Nature, very beautiful. I just I'm like, why would you rather be in La than here at Christmas time? M badge for women supporting women when they're messaging each other and they're like, hey, does tomorrow work?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, great. Great part of the movie is one of these women are chatting Why didn't they chat to her the whole thing, like, how's it going over there? Having a run time.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the phone call scene was like the closest to got to being fun, but then it was kind of slutshavy.
Speaker 1: Badge for mister Napkinhead. Sorry, oh that was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of I could see your puppet group doing something like that.
Speaker 1: I thought it was fun.
Speaker 2: It is fun. A badge for this dog is so cute. I loved that dog. A little scrap, so cute, little scrap, well scrap.
Speaker 1: Badge for I'm sorry. I actually did find the child actors in this fun. I like them.
Speaker 5: Daddy, do you want to come into the tent.
Speaker 1: We put?
Speaker 5: We cut out stars and hung them up at the top of the tent.
Speaker 1: Do we never have grown ups here?
Speaker 5: We all go?
Speaker 1: I really like it.
Speaker 5: Daddy hates women. We cut out the stars with our dead mum. She called the Three Musketeers. I like your eyeshadow.
Speaker 2: A badge for dissociating during a hookup is so real.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: At one point, Cameron Diaz is making up with Jude Laan and then she kind of just associates, and I was like, hello, there we go. She's not insane, She's just this woman is on lexipro and they're not talking about it. I know.
Speaker 1: That's why I was kind of into her character. If they'd done it in a way that was more honest. But yeah, she's kind of real. A lot of the time. She's like, I just get you know, I.
Speaker 2: Just don't feel deeply.
Speaker 1: My final badge is for the ending's cute. In a rom com way where they're all dancing, like if this is what you want, if you really want a quote unquote feel good movie with a feel good ending, that's and you don't want to think at all. They all end dancing.
Speaker 2: So and like zooming slowly away from the building out of the window. A badge for when jud Law says, I am daddy. That's fun.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: That's a gift, thank you. Badge for Jack Black can sing in any film. It is fun. I enjoy it very much, he does. Yeah, And my final badge is a badge for this appalled British driver taking Cameron Diaz to the airport. Yeah, when she starts crying, and just the look his facial expression in the rear view mirror is so funny and true. Trages trag is.
Speaker 1: I have a trage for the general sentiment of males be like females, be like vibes, because they do that a number of times. They're like, you're not like other girls for this reason, and then yeah, and then he's like, I'm a male, classic male, so of course I want to stay around and hook up with you, and as any classic male, I often don't call back. You know that's such harmful messaging. We're not doing that anymore.
Speaker 2: H trage for and sorry to Jack Black for this, but I wrote trag for every gorgeous woman is with a Jack Black. Now I have to apologize again to Jack Black, because I think Jack Black himself is an extremely talented person, but his character character is a fucking annoying dude who's not that hot, not hot at all.
Speaker 1: I would love if he was real cute Jack Black, like, for example, in Not Joe Leebra Where and yes he's half Mexican in that, but but but only half and uh but he is like, you know, pining, but like his cute weird self. If he was like a cute weirdo who's like, man, I really have a crush on you, and I did all this nice stuff. But in Staid he's like, man, he totally makes the line here, come here, I'm gonna make you listen to the music from every movie I've ever liked, and she's like, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, I touched your booble doing that.
Speaker 1: His character in this is incredibly annoying.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Trag for the cringe movie talk. All the talk about Hollywood becomes too damn much. It's too much. And it completely is just men talking and women going wow, which is what made men of today think that we enjoy that. And I gotta tell you it's still actively happening out there.
Speaker 2: Save us trage for it. Wow, she is down bad. Kate Winslet has it so bad, and as someone who is that almost all of the time, I did not enjoy watching it.
Speaker 1: Jasper.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: My final trage is for the not like other Girls thing, which they hit very hard. Yeah, and the acting was very uncomfortable at times. It's just weirds.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Trage for this man's movie metaphor helped me more than therapy ever did.
Speaker 1: Wrote something down like that too, like British therapists could never do what a Hollywood guy could do. O. My god, that's not right.
Speaker 2: That's so not right.
Speaker 1: Do they apply the therapist was a woman or did I just think that?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I think I just imagine that. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: Trage for people talking about old movies is so annoying. And every movie she watches, she's like, it was amazing. I loved it so much, it was so good. I'm like the girl. We watched a hundred of these and not all of them are bangers, not okay at all. A prox ninety percent were terrible. Have a damn opinion about one. For God's sake, she's a dream girl. Trage for his daughter really just said dad doesn't have any friends who are women, like nobody here comes so for myself, and I was like, oh my god, Oh my god. Trage for I really was thinking that Kate and Jack were just gonna be friends, like platonic pals who like have a good time while she's there on vacation and like help each other through getting over people. And then they got together and I was like, no, and in my final trage is okay, so we're just not going to talk about logistics. This doesn't make sense for anybody.
Speaker 1: No. I would love to even if they'd just been like, oh I found a job here, or I'm gonna do it over. I'm gonna give the remole.
Speaker 2: Crux of their conflict Cameron Diaz and Jude Laws is like, it's so complicated, it's really I don't know how to make this work. And then instead she's like, I'm gonna run through the sheep field and put them at risk by leaving the gate open. And it's New Year's Eve.
Speaker 1: I even would have preferred if it was like, actually, a long distance relationship is exactly what we both need, or like this, any situation works perfectly for what I need in life right now, which is like I want more family time and I can break up my you know, I have trusted I can make the pregnant lady my protegee and sure, good, you know totally, so they're just like I'm giving it all up. Whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's call a cab into our next segment. How to pretend you've seen this film This is for you are on holiday?
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: You are staying in a cool and gorgeous architectural home, exploring the different rooms, running around and going, oh, I love this.
Speaker 1: When the owner's brother, the owner's brother, Jasper, comes banging on the door and goes, show us your life. I'm drunk, let me in. I have something. I have something to tell you that you open the door and say, you know, my sister, Well, it's even better because I just saw a movie that I'm gonna tell you all about, the film The Holiday, a movie that felt like it is about me.
Speaker 2: A man can be held down in order to slam the door or in Jasper's face. We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Holiday. Oh, Jasper, I've seen The Holiday. I just can't have this conversation with you because I missed my dead wife so much.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yes, Jasper, I have seen the film The Holiday. And surprisingly, this film was written specifically with Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Jack black and mind, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: What a weird grouping as well. Yeah, they must have just been like the biggest names of the time. I was gonna say specifically of the time. Yeah, because it's I don't I'm not seeing like chemistry between those four in such a thing.
Speaker 1: They had made Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz be like besties. That would have been such.
Speaker 2: Good I love and if Kate Winslet and Jack Blackbird just being friends, I believe that they had a good time hanging out together. Like Kate Winslet seems like she was having a very fun time filming this right, Yeah, and that's great. Yes, Jasper, I've seen The Holiday. Sorry, I can't hear you because the Santa Anna Winds have really picked up lately, and when those start, anything can happen, like maybe you shut up and then he gets blown away into the four oh five.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this was in La. Yeah, this guy convinced it Oi.
Speaker 2: O sugar Tiths, show us your mof show us your more. Oh the Santa Ana wins blue a geezer in England.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jasper, I've seen the film The Holiday. This isn't that surprising because it's how movies work. But it's just this was so in the time of like movies, movies, movies, let's make more, more and more and more. The interior sets for Amanda's house were built on a sound stage and cost approximately one million dollars with exterior, your walls, a roof, plumbing, heating, and electricity. And I'm sorry, this is why the world is burning around us. Yep. Yeah, the things they build. When I briefly worked on that movie sound and watch them be like, yeah, I've constructed this, this, this this is the yeah we do we build itt me just break it down the next day. It's just you know, you don't want to put any of the stuff. If you want to take any of this foam for your puppets, you can't. My god. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The waste is unfatt so much waste, Like we have to do this, we have to make this movie.
Speaker 1: And we've seen it now and we're like it's yes, like build a house and then maybe let somebody live in it. I don't know, because they have all the they do, they have all the capabilities, but it'll be like a building functioning house.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jasper, shut up. I've seen The Holiday and I'm gonna say two things that coming from a woman. I'm gonna say three things that coming from a woman. You're not gonna like the first two for traditional reasons, the third because you're a coward. I sew and I have a cow. And also I'm amazing at my career, an extremely powerful and influential in night industry and financially independent.
Speaker 1: Well f off, I sew and I have a cow.
Speaker 2: That was very funny, Like why wouldn't they just let him be funny?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, really funny. We were just talking about this because and I don't know why this is in the trivia for this movie, but yes, Jasper, I have seen the film The Holiday. Reportedly, the three members of British Indie rock band the Wombats went to see this movie expecting a rom com in the spirit of Bridget jones Diary. They ended up hating the film so much that they wrote a song called kill the Director, Don't love that about It, which contains lyrics like if this is a rom com, kill the director and this is no Bridget Jones, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: What That song showed up on my Spotify Discover weekly and I saved it because I was like, slay, that's about Oh no, oh no, it's about killing a woman. It's about killing a woman. Oh, I have to unsave that song. I thought it was just about life. I thought it was like, oh my god, if the situation I'm in is supposed to be a rom com, kill the Director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's just about hating something a woman made. Oh no, I must life be so complex?
Speaker 5: This is no Bridget Jones.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so funny.
Speaker 1: That makes way more sense if it's about life, and if it's about just hating a woman, Oh no, oh no, oh my god, that's crazy. Well, Leanna shouldn't move on to our next segment, which is, of course, should you watch this, where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do anything else? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I am so I am flabber guess I'm flabbergoosted. I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: That's spooky. Honestly, that is spooky. That's like when we do an episode and then like somebody prevalently involved in that movie dies, like the next week.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god, we're killing people. WHOA.
Speaker 2: I would say, you don't need to watch The Holiday. It's it's it's a letdown, Like whatever you're looking for, it doesn't quite achieve. Like it's not quite a cozy film. It's not quite a rom com. It's not like it's complicated levels of like perfect home and somebody makes a croissant that looks amazing. It just doesn't quite have anything. So I would say what you could watch instead is a TV show called The Franchise. It's on HBO Max. It's like Armando Iannuciese New Show, and it's a send up of basically like the Marvel and DC cinematic universes and like getting one of those movies made. And there's a scene in it where the ad the assistant director is talking to the director and he's like, all right, and here are the options for the dead wife character, So if you could just let me know, like which woman is the best for that? And it's a lineup of five brunette white women in the same outfit and the director is just supposed to pick one to play the dead wave. So and it was so it warmed my heart. Yeah, to see somebody acknowledge that the dead wife is such a trope. Yeah, I was just I was like, yeah, see, I know, what would you say.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna go ahead and say, if you want to see a rom com that's Christmas themed, I don't. This isn't my favorite one ever. My family likes it. So it's if you want to turn your brain off and just these things don't bother you, then it's all good. But if you're listening to our podcast, they probably bother you. So one that's like a lot goofyer and still has romance and is unrealistic in many ways, but it's just more fun, to be honest and less trophy more unique is Bridget Jones Diary. I always think that's a fun one. You know what you're getting. But I don't think you should kill the director. I don't feel that way. I don't think anybody needs to be killed. I can't believe that. I just personally don't. I don't prefer this one as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Seanna, what would you rate the film The Holiday, the Hollybobs.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give The Holiday three little bathtubs out of out of five medium size. I guess what about yourself?
Speaker 2: I will give The Hollybobs one show us your moff out of five, show us your moff. It's such a that's so funny, okay, anyway, Oh, I was so bored during it. I was so disappointed. I I'm lucky to have my like cozy English cottage itch scratched in a million other ways. Yeah, yeah, living in England currently.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love Kate Winslet so much so she gets it a point and the houses are gorge but Jesus.
Speaker 1: Christ, I'd maybe even give it a two. I really don't like it either. It's we watch it every year. I'm always the most viral.
Speaker 2: You knew how to go into it, It's true. I think I went into it with just high expectations that it caused it to fall from grace.
Speaker 1: Still, it's very cathartic to hear so because I always feel like I'm alone in thinking it sucks.
Speaker 2: Oh not anymore. Ah wow, Well, happy holidays, Happy hollybobs everybody from us at toss Popcorn. That was our review of the holiday. Thank you for listening. We hope you're having a lovely holiday season. And if you'd like to see memes about this movie, you can follow us on Instagram at Tossed Popcorn. You can subscribe to our Patreon to see our bonus episode on the Film of the Year, Give it away and join us next week when we will be.
Speaker 1: Watching Past lives O.
Speaker 2: Thank you, We love you, Barry kiss Smith.
Speaker 3: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why didn't anyone say Barry kiss On it was right there? Did they cut it out? I mean, there's just no way, no one they missed.
Speaker 1: Cut on a scene book.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there was a whole scene about Barry kiss Smith.
Speaker 1: No, definitely probably a song.