Speaker 1: Stramp on the boots and scrape.
Speaker 2: Up the knuckles on ahead. He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Terry's gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Banker. Like a torpedo, he keeps flying into the backfield.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in Valves.
Speaker 4: Want a Crab by Trey McBride that was spectacular.
Speaker 3: And by Arizona Cardinals podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash Podcast, All.
Speaker 5: Red Seas, Rising Uard, Jump You, Rising Vision, Flurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 3: Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready. And Darren Urban I'll.
Speaker 4: Above this RUPI kid right.
Speaker 6: The field.
Speaker 1: It's football. It's about execution. Can we can we execute the impossible game plan? Can we talk NFL? Make it interesting, make it informative and not succumb to Chiefs fatigue. It's gonna be tough, but you know what, when you're the original Thursday night football, you enjoy a good challenge. Paul Calvic here, Darren Urban over there, Darren, do you accept the challenge? Here? In this episode of The Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert, we are Santane for.
Speaker 7: I'm just here so I don't cant find Paul.
Speaker 1: It's a good one, okay, you know what, Darren's here. We're also gonna see your Patrick Mahomes and we're gonna raise you another heavy hitter. Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner is going to be our guest on show number seven oh one in the history more than two decades of the Big Red Rage. And I bring that up because it's funny. How last week for show number seven hundred, all the hoopball, you know, and Big Red Rage palooza. You know, Wolf was here, you know, but now seven oh one, you know where grinders again, you know, tracking towards number eight hundred. Wolf just you know, isn't here. Supposedly he's under the weather.
Speaker 7: Just under the weather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 7: Like he timed out.
Speaker 6: It's not like Logan's run that old thing where you get to a certain amount of episodes and shuffle off this mortal coil.
Speaker 1: As far as I know there's not. Maybe it's there's only seven hundred in his contract. I'm not really sure about those. There are off season changes, which is maybe our segue.
Speaker 7: Just dropped the mic and he said, I'm out.
Speaker 1: Into the Cardinals coaching staff. As you may have seen if you follow Virginia Tech on social media, you might have seen that va Tech Football tweeted out Sam Sifkis is their new defensive coordinator, previously known as.
Speaker 6: Linebackers coach for the Cardinals. Okay, I'm working mostly with the inside linebackers. So yeah, there's at least that opening that Jonathan Gannon's gonna have to fill.
Speaker 1: So we'll see about whether the mic. Linebacker is going to be an opening you have to fill. Kaysier White maybe the biggest Cardinals free agent that we're looking forward to getting an answer to here this offseason. Reports also say that Cardinals have parted ways with d line coach Derek LeBlanc, so we'll see what that means on the staff. But once again, you know.
Speaker 6: And Clayton Adams, the offensive line coach, is interviewed with the that's been reported interviewed with the Cowboys to be their offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: So which sort of reminds you last year. Is the exception? Right when you maintain the status quo, when there are no changes on NFL coaching staff in an offseason, that is truly the exception, is it not?
Speaker 6: Yes, because usually you're either wanting to make a change or somebody else is moving into a different direction like we've seen now, and and you know, it'll be interesting to see exactly what happens. I don't know if those are the only names we're gonna end up hearing about, but you know, you're hoping that, hopefully the coaching staff is in place by the time they go to the Combine in late February.
Speaker 1: Okay, now speaking to the draft. A couple of items this week. Senior Bowl going on, the practices, the Shrine Game practices going on. Did you see who stole some of the headlines at the Senior Bowl? Not sure I've ever said this before, but a fine, diminutive American who plays offensive line. North Carolina old lineman Willy Lampkin, measured at five to ten, two hundred and seventy pounds. He's like, you're a basketball guy. He's like the spud Web of the NFL. Yes, I mean I.
Speaker 6: Don't know if I've ever heard of a sub six foot offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: The video of him going against six foot seven, three hundred and forty pound day One Walker out of Kentucky, who's one of the big blue chip prospects, and then six foot six, three hundred and forty pound Cam Jackson of Florida, two guys who might be on the Cardinals radar for all we know, and going locking horns with five foot ten Willie Lampkin effect. It was Jackson who was Quota said you have to get low, real low. That ain't easy. He played me tough, So there's that, and then lost.
Speaker 7: Haven't you heard that?
Speaker 1: I heard that? You know what, though, Darren, I'm looking at the cut of your jib right now. You need you need a mock draft update. You know, it's never too early for a draft up day. Here we go.
Speaker 7: We almost got to February without going.
Speaker 1: No, we got to get you a mock draft in January. In fact, there are three out. Bucky Brooks one point zero has a Cardinals taking James Pierce Junior, an edge out of Tennessee sixty five two forty three speed rusher off the edge, Daniel Jeremiah one point, oh, Jalen Walker, who's been getting a lot of run an edge out of Georgia, a little smaller, highly athletic six two two forty five, and then mel kiper As the Cardinals going at number sixteen. Overall, Tyler Booker might be the best guard in the draft out of Alabama.
Speaker 6: I think I saw Jeremiah say he was one of the cleanest first round possibilities.
Speaker 1: Yes, like one of the safest picks in the draft. Bucky Brooks wrote that Tyler Booker is a bully at the line of scrimmage with the nastiness needed to set their towing up front. Now that is a double ding when it comes to Jonathan Gannon and maniastin board. I mean, does that not sound like a Kramat vertical sort of offensive lineman for this team.
Speaker 6: No, I think that that's exactly the kind of guy that they're going to be looking for. And I will be fascinated to see exactly how this draft plays out. I mean, I think clearly they're going to go lineman on that first well, not clearly, but I believe it to be true that they're going to go lineman with that first pick. Whether it's offensive or defensive line. I guess you could throw edge in there as a possibility, but we know that they want to build up those lines and get tougher in those areas and maybe fill some holes that they're potentially going to have, and we got a long way to go. Paul, Yeah, I mean we are free agency first.
Speaker 1: But they do say that O line and D line is pretty stacked this year. It's a pretty strong and there are some more unknown edge guys Cardinals I'm sure will be evaluating, like the two leading sack artists who are both in these All Star Games out of Boston College and Marshall a little known but really showed well this week, so we'll see how that plays. There's also the NFL talk dot com story Unsung Heroes of the twenty twenty four NFL Season one per team. Did you see who was selected on behalf of the Cardinals their unsung hero this past season? It's not you, Paul, Garrett Williams. Star at it. Garrett Williams. Here's what I didn't realize on Garrett Williams. He grated out as Pro Football focuses number two corner in coverage behind only Pats or Tan what really well?
Speaker 6: Again, I think Garrett Williams took giant strides this year. He plays mostly in the slot, which is good in a lot of ways. That's another position where I'm fascinated to see exactly what direction they go. Do they try and spend another high pick on a cornerback perhaps if the right guy is there, or are they happy with this group that they have right now, which is considerably young, but they've added a lot of people in the last couple of years. We haven't even talked about Elijah Jones, who didn't even get on the field. So that's a third round pick that you're going to be adding to the mix.
Speaker 1: A right time to talk about the owner of Michael Bidwell elected to the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame, and none other than Larry Fitzgerald was there to deliver the news, and once again in entertaining fashion, it was unbeknownst to Michael himself, and it went something like this.
Speaker 8: It's impossible to surprise Michael Bidwell, but if we're going to get him today, he thinks I'm here filming some promo for the NFL, but that's not what I'm really here for. And I can't wait to reveal it to you in a little bit.
Speaker 9: What's going on?
Speaker 7: Look at this?
Speaker 8: Give me once I got, I gotta do this one more line, give me one second. I don't know on behalf of the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame Trustees. Is my great honor to inform you, Michael Bidwell, that you have been unanimously voted into the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame clash of twenty twenty four. And I'm so very happy for you, boss man, and I had to come down and kid Dad obviously, Jake Plumber, Adrian Wilson, Pat Tillman, myself. You man, it's an honor to have you. Thank you, Nobody nobody deserves it more for what you've done, not only for others on the Cardinals, but the state of Arizona in general. I mean, these kids walking around the city wearing these jerseys, pulling for this team.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be possible without you.
Speaker 8: And you know, I'm just so so thankful for you and everything you've done. You deserve this moment, You deserve this well.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 11: Larry means so much having this news come from you, and you've led the way in so many different ways. You're a member of a number of halls of Fame and soon to be the Pro Football Hall of Fame here in a year or two.
Speaker 8: But none of that would be possible without you. And you know, to think what you've done to elevate this organization in the city, it's it's unbelievable. And you know, I know greater things to come, you know, with your leadership. I appreciate it absolutely, Thank you. I love you.
Speaker 11: I love you too.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Wow.
Speaker 11: Okay, so that's what.
Speaker 1: This was about. Oh, you gotta love the Larry laugh right there. It's good stuff and they generally surprised Michael Bidwell, unbeknownst to him, really well done by the Cardinals TV crew in the TV studio, Larry Fitzgerald himself. Fact, you can see that the Cardinals have posted that great video and once again you heard Larry mention some of the names. So it'll be the sixth member of the Cardinals organization to be elected to the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame, as Michael joins his late father, Bill Bidwell, and then Larry himself, Pat Tillman, Adrian Wilson, Jake Plummer's.
Speaker 6: It's definitely a who's who of people that have been important as Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 7: So congratulations to Michael. And we're gonna.
Speaker 6: Get to see probably zach Ertz that night too because his wife, Juliertz, who's from Arizona.
Speaker 7: Yes, she is also in this class.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean you talk about heavy hitters, right, Mike Bibby is in this class. Julia Ertz, Ricky Hunley, the former NFL linebacker out of the U of A, Joe Garajolia junior former d Max GM, Paul Konerko.
Speaker 7: Chaparra Go Fires.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I left that one for last I know you right there, so he could flex that one on that. But what was the other Chaparral news aar there? Okay, another Darren so on the Darren Patty on the Darren powerpole with two rs in an e. Where does Mugie rank, you know? And where do you rank in there?
Speaker 6: And you know it's well, as Danny tweeted out that night, our friend Danny sirek, I am the least most important Darren that had walked the halls of chaparale I.
Speaker 1: See, hey, you can join the Cardinal season ticket waitlist. Always good with Danny holding you accountable for a listen to the twenty twenty five opponents, and to learn about season ticket member benefits, go to Azycardinals dot com slash waitlist. All Right, speaking to heavy hitters, what does a Hall of Fame quarterback think of Marvin Arrison Junior's rookie year? Where and how can Kyler improve? Patrick Mahomes, how do you beat the Chiefs? You know what? Let's ask Kurt Warner himself. He joins us. Next. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford because it's a plea flicker. Warner gonna throw deep nearside, going for fence.
Speaker 4: He's in double coverage.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter. He caught it anyway, touchdown, Cardinals.
Speaker 12: Kurt Warner could throw a twinkie into a toaster.
Speaker 1: I mean this guy is on fire.
Speaker 4: Warner with a ton of time throwing right side.
Speaker 8: Fit's open, caught in the five heading for the.
Speaker 4: Pylon, and he is gonna be ruled EO Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Worry Fitzgerald. Warner takes back to throw faith left side.
Speaker 4: Fitzgerald Big Island touchdown, his third of the day.
Speaker 5: It's twenty to sex Arizona.
Speaker 12: Wow, Kurt Warner isn't in the zone.
Speaker 1: He is the zone.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: The Cordinals half shot the world.
Speaker 10: It's right but true. The Cards have done.
Speaker 5: They're going to Super Bowl forty three.
Speaker 1: The QB, who was supposedly on the down side of his career, showed the world how much upside there really was in his game and his team.
Speaker 7: We're nobody else believed in us.
Speaker 1: We're nobody else believed in me.
Speaker 2: You guys did, and we're going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: That is from our award winning Cardinals Folktales series, Kurt Warner renaissance man on Kurt's Cardinals' career. I'll have you know, Darren Urban, that was the fifth most downloaded Cardinals podcast in twenty twenty four, even though the pod posted in twenty twenty three. And it's always an honor to have the Hall of Famer himself here on the Big Red Rage presented by San tan Ford in Gilbert Kurt Warner. Welcome, Kurt, and we're gonna I'm gonna get into my question because once Darren gets rolling, there's no stopping him. Okay, you just finished talking with Patrick Mahomes getting ready for your Super Bowl broadcasts, et cetera. And I mean it's ridiculous, right, somebody just nicknamed him the Human Dynasty. He's seventeen and three in the playoffs, fifth super Bowl in seven years. I saw where Saquon Barkley's said, Look, we wanted to send a message a team can still run the ball down someone's throat and get to a super Bowl. Okay, can you win a Super Bowl that way? Can you beat Patrick Mahomes that way? Because the Cardinals seem to be tracking that way. And if you don't have Patrick Mahomes, what do you do? Do you run the ball? And will it work in Super Bowl fifty nine?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the bottom line is I think you can win a Super Bowl running the football the way that Eagles have in most seasons. For sure, we'll get a chance to see if they can do it this season because you mentioned it is that on paper, I look at the Eagles and I think they're the better roster. I think they've got more of those big time players that have proven themselves, you know, at this level. But the Chiefs to have Patrick Mahomes and he is the ultimate X actor is that he is so good in the moment at making the right decision at keeping a game close, and then obviously in the moment, if you give him a chance to be able to put the dagger in and to win the game. And so I have to believe the Eagles are going to have success. They have success against them a couple of years ago, even without Saquon Barkley, So I believe they're going to have success. I believe it's going to be a good football game. But I think the biggest question is can you finish the game? And a lot of times when we think about running the football, that's what we think about. We think about if we have a great running team. The greatest blessing of that is when we get into a close game late where we can just run out the clock, or we can use the clock and be more ball controlled and keep the ball away from the opponent and away from Patrick Mahomes so he can't make that final drive to beat us. And so that to me is going to probably be the most telling sign is when this game comes down late and it's close, and being a team that's built on running the football, can that be the thing that finishes this game for the Eagles, or does once again come down to Patrick Mahomes and the ball in his hands, and it fall to their defense.
Speaker 6: Having to do it, you know, Kurt, you know talking about what Paul kind of touched on about the Cardinals wanting to run the ball and be that kind of team. I was looking at a stat the other day that I think the Cardinals were I think had the fewest amount of offensive possessions in the league all year, But as correspondingly, they also had like they had the fewest amount of defensive times on the field too, which makes sense. If you're running the ball, there's gonna be fewer possessions in that game.
Speaker 7: I'm curious.
Speaker 6: We see Saquon, we see Derek Henry, we see some of these great run teams. Has there been a shift you watch so much tape, you watch so much defense. Has have defenses caught up a little bit to being able to deal with the passing games in the NFL these days? Or is this a blip because there's a couple of great running backs right now and the really good teams have them and and this is still probably first the passing league.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think what I've realized over the years, and even when we say it was a passing league. Almost every time you get into the playoffs and you look at the playoff teams, most playoff teams can run the football and have a solid run game, and it's a big reason why they're there because at the end of the day, you know, we can talk about passing or running, but I think at the end of the day, what we realize in football is that the trenches is the most defining factor in success and failure. Winning the offensive line, winning the defensive line. And so yes, it could calculate into throwing the football or running the football, but I think that's one of the things that when you can run the football, that's one thing you have to have. That's one thing that you know you have is an offensive line that can dictate the action of a game. And so that will never change in my opinion. Right there's ways to get around it. There's way to be successful, you know, when you don't have a dominant offensive line. But if you have a dominant offensive line, if you have a dominant defensive line, if you can run the ball and stop the run when you want to, that will always go a long way in determining winning teams. Playoff teams and I think championship teams and so yeah, I believe that running the football is and always will be a part of the game. You know, it's just the rules have you know, lent themselves to doing some different things in the passing game. And the amazing thing is that, you know, even when we throw the ball more we throw the ball first. The number of throws that are at the line of scrimmage in this day and age, to me, is simply just an extension of the run game. That's saying we want to run the football. We don't want to put the ball in harms way. We're not going to throw the ball, you know, thirty yards down the field every time. We may not have a dominant offensive line, so this is our way to supplement running the football and taking some of the risk out of it. So I think it's just kind of adjusted maybe how we look at the run game with this quick wide receiver, quick screens, bubble screens to your back type offenses that we see. But running the football and winning the offensive line, to me, will always be a factor in the best teams in the league.
Speaker 1: Hall of Famer Kurt Warner on the Big Red Rage Present of my Santan Ford and Gilbert fifteen years ago. This week you announced your retirement from the Cardinals. Of course, you had Larry Fitzgerald. And for everything the Cardinals are doing to cram at vertical with the run game, they added Marvin Harrison Junior last year number four overall? How much upside is left after his rookie campaign, Kurt, what did you see? Where do you think his future is tracking Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the beginning of the year, I think it was a transition for him to understand kind of the physicality of the NFL and maybe just the speed and talent at the NFL level that I really felt like in college when I watched him, he would win a lot based on just physical ability. You know, people that were scared of him so they played way off or you know, his physical ability where he could just run by guys and he didn't have to win a lot with route running, so to speak. And so I think you saw that early in the year. But then I think you saw him grow in those areas as the season went along, where he got more physical, he could create separation against press coverage, you know, down the stretch of the year, that is, route running became a little bit better, and he became a better understanding, had a better understanding of how he needed to run routes to get open. He was he was a threat in the red zone, which is always a good thing, you know, in those early stages. So, I mean, I think there's still a long way to go for Marvin Harrison in terms of, you know, coupling what his physical skill is with the understanding of how to play the NFL games. So I expect him to get incrementally better for the next few years as he continues to grow into those things. But you know, to me, the biggest thing you always want to see with young guys is growth, and to me, I saw that with Marvin Harrison Junior threw out the year. Is that I saw the growth from week one to where he was at the end of the season. You saw him improved in some of those areas that he struggled early on. So that has to excite anybody in the organization or Cardinals stands that, hey, he's just learning it. And you know, we often say the biggest drives for any players are made between their first and second year. So they come in they got to learn it. They got to figure it out, and they got to see what it's all about, and they got to prove to themselves that they can play and what they're capable of doing. And so as they get into that first offseason into that second year, now they get a chance to hit the ground run. And so I'm excited to see where he is when he comes back in the second year.
Speaker 6: I know you're not necessarily watching the Cardinals play by play or breaking down every single game they have, but from a thirty fouved everyone, Okay, well, then I apologize, Kurt. I should have known better when you look at kind of a thirty thousand foot view of this team and where it is right now and going into the third year of a GM and a coach trying to rebuild from the ground up, kind of where do you see the Cardinals right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think they were a good football team. I think the one thing that I've been impressed with since coach Cannad has got there is their effort and their competitiveness every single week that they're a team that you have to contend with. You know, while they figure out those pieces that they're missing, maybe some dominant players on their defensive line and guys that can really get after the quarterback. I think it's going to be key there, you know, continually to develop their passing. You know, Trade mcgrid obviously came into his own this year and really, you know, you could argue was the best tight end of the league this year. Obviously, James Connor is one of those star warks that you could count on it and it really kind of went through him. Uh, you know Marvin Harrison who we just talked about, you know, if he elevates his game. But adding a couple other pieces I think they're on the offensive side is going to to help as well. But you know, so so I think their their pass game just has to develop to be able to match their run game. And and that's kind of you know, what I saw with this team is that when they were able to run the football and the and the pass game could truly be a compliment. They were a good football team. When they struggled to run the football and the pass game had to become the primary is where they struggled more. And so that's to me where they have to develop, you know, what that is and what their identity is and and and where Kyler can can thrive in getting the ball down the field a little bit more than than they were you know, then they were capable or that they did this past year. And so that to me is just from a scheme standpoint, where I see that, you know, them needing to make strive to compete against the best teams in the league is you have to be able to win away from your strengths at times, and you know, and I felt they struggled to do that consistently last year. You know, we know the talent level that Kyler has, and we've seen the moments, the incredible moments that he's had, and so they have to figure out how to get that consistently into the passame and making sure that you know what they're doing and what they're asking of him meshes with all the things that he does really really well.
Speaker 1: And as they continue to unlock Kyler Murray, give us one area where Kyler can improve. We could do a whole interview just on Kyler, but maybe give us one area he should focus on going into year seven of his career.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, for me, I think it's just kind of the patience of getting from receiver number one to receiver number two. Is that I think how there's really good when number one is open and you know he knows where he wants to go with it, and he can put that back to the ground and throw it. He's really good. He's a gifted thrower. He can make special, special throws. And then another thing I think he does really well is he's good at going from one and not really knowing where to go from there, but getting it to his checkdowns. He's really good at knowing where his checkdowns are, and so he creates a lot of positive plays, plays that I think early on he tried to make all the time with his legs. Now he doesn't have to. The game's become easier because it's like, Okay, I don't see it down the field, let me get it to the checkdown, let me get it to James, and we'll pick up four, five, six yards and so we're able to make positive plays. But I still believe that the best offenses in the league are those teams that can consistently make those kind of mid range chunk throws to make the game easier. So you don't have to make ten and twelve play drives to be successful. So his ability to kind of have the patience and timing to get from one to two and make more of those number two tight throws down the field is I believe they have to improve where Kyler has to improve because he does a number of things right with number one and getting to his checkdowns, but that mid range is just having the patients to kind of stick in there, see it and then deliver more of those chunk throws. I think is what this You know this offense need.
Speaker 1: Twenty five years ago today, Kurt Warner won a Super Bowl with the Rams when they beat the Titans. How about that, Darren. He was up pretty good that game, and I saw where Cam Newton, as we wrap this up, was asked on first take if he could give back his MVP for a Super Bowl championship, and he said no. The good news is Kirk doesn't have to worry about that because he has both them. And we thank you Kurt for your time, always your pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks you got it, guys, Always great to talk to you.
Speaker 1: All Right, we continue with the Big Red Rage. We'll talk about the Pro Bowl, we'll talk about the Super Bowl when we come back. It's the Big Red Rage Presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert we are santan Ford.
Speaker 4: Jet sweet here side McBride sniff arming touchdown Fray McBride on the handoff.
Speaker 7: McBride is so good running the football.
Speaker 4: Cardinals rush by and Travil Smith steps up. Sack by Budha Baker hot By. McBride wrapped up broke and tackled though and then he hurdles an defender at the forty. That was gronk esque. You can't control Trey McBride. Blitz coming Rodgers has no chance. Sack by Fooda Baker.
Speaker 1: It's Tray McBride on a quick, tight end screen and into the end zone. Trey McBride who finds paydirt.
Speaker 7: Bludda Baker came off the edge clean.
Speaker 4: And Aaron Rodgers got his backwax between four jets. The ball is caught by Trey McBride.
Speaker 1: Trey McBride, you are a bad, bad man.
Speaker 7: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: When your best players are also your best exams to other players of how to compete, how to practice, how to study, how to prep. I mean, how do you put a price on that goes way beyond just the stats. With Trey McBride and Buddha Baker.
Speaker 7: Well, Trey McBride's probably gonna try this offseason.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. But first he's enjoining his offseason of course, like earlier today at Disney World, joining other Pro Bowl players as they went around. I don't know is he wearing any of the Mickey ears, the Mickey Mouse ears.
Speaker 7: I not that I saw, all right, but he is a big kid.
Speaker 1: If there was one guy who's gonna wear the Mickey Mouse ears, I could see Trey McBride.
Speaker 7: I could see that.
Speaker 1: It is a big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Darren urban in for Ron Wolfley, and guess what, let's just get right into this and look, we can talk all we want about the stats and one hundred eleven catches for Trey McBride, one hundred and sixty four tackles for Buddha Baker, number two in the NFL, But once again, when other players, when their teammates say it, it just means that much more. Let's flash back to the Big Red Rage. Darren, give me your thoughts and what Darius Robinson had to say about Buddha Baker's setting the standard, just the.
Speaker 10: Motor he plays that then the instinct to be where the ball is at and then to actually get people on the ground. You know, I literally just try to follow him everything he does because he is the standard of an elite football player, standard of our organization. So if that's like what I want to envision myself, and hopefully someone talks like me like one day, like I have to find a way to be like Buddha.
Speaker 1: And that's in addition to what Darius Robinson said when he came back off the injured list, where just watching from the sideline this year during his rookie year, that Buddha was probably the best player he's ever seen. In the words of Darius Robinson.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna lie like those kind of comments like it kind of stunned me a little bit, you know, because it's not like they're in the same room. Obviously they're both on the same defense. But Darius Robinson, unless he's watching on TV, if the game's going on, he ain't seeing what Budda's doing back there. But I will say that he's picked a good role model clearly, Dang, And we've talked about this stuff before other platforms, Paul, like I am, I just think it made so much sense to make sure Buddha Baker continued his career here with this contract extension. It got weird there for a little bit when he wanted the extension with another change, and to Buddha's to defend Buddha a little bit, like when all that happened there was he had another coaching change, and he had another defensive coordinator. I can understand where a guy who's been in the league for a while would get feeling some type of way about it.
Speaker 1: And I mean, he's had four different head coaches.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: And again he wanted the contract extension, but just to you know, that was the one thing he could control, would be maybe getting a thing. But I think that he is very much in lockstep with what Nick Rollis wants to do, with what Jonathan Ganna wants to do in terms of not only defense but culture, and it just it makes all the sense in the world to have him back. So I love where he is in his career, and I love again the stuff that rubs off on a player like Darius Robinson.
Speaker 1: When Rabbit right rookie safety says I purposely sit next to Buddha Baker all year long, just to hear him and Jalen Thompson talk football, so I can absorb that the osmosis when a starling Thomas attaches himself to Buddha's hip the entire offseason they trained together.
Speaker 6: Just don't call Buddha vintage. At one point I said to him, this year you made that mistake. Has there been a is this kind of like I think it was a certain game I brought up. I said, was that a vintage Buddha Baker performance or has this been a vintage Buddha Baker year? And he was He smiled, but he's like, yeah, don't let's not go vintage. That makes me sound old. I mean he's not even thirty yet.
Speaker 1: No, no, and he just had a career year once again.
Speaker 7: And you always vintage.
Speaker 1: Props to Nick Rowlis and Jonathan Gannon for unlocking and maximizing Buddha Bakery. Same could be said for Trey McBride. One hundred eleven catches that as a team record for team that includes Jackie Smith among its alums. And here he is about being named to us first Pro Bowl.
Speaker 9: Something you dream about as a little kid. You know, obviously you want to make it to the pros and then you want to be the best. This is just one step, you know, into that right direction. This is a huge honor for me. Proud just to bring this back home where I'm from. Just a huge honor for not only me, my community, my family, and obviously this organization you know, hasn't been done by a tight end in a very long time. So this is just a huge honor for not only me, but this organization and everybody.
Speaker 1: And I'll be honest, if we're in the trust tree, you know, midway through his rookie year, you're wondering, okay, wait a minute, first tight end taken in that draft there is you know, high second round pick, mid second round pick, and then it took a while, It took the aforementioned zach Ertz and clearing the way for Trey McBride to really blossom and learn on the job. And the more opportunities he's had just seemingly the better he's been. What we talk so much about Marvin Harrison Junior's upside, how much upside do you think Trey McBride still has.
Speaker 6: Well, he's pretty high up there right now in my opinion, with what he does and how he does it. You know, it's funny Trey comes across as very he's a humble He's humble.
Speaker 1: He is, but but on game day.
Speaker 6: He and I don't think it's just game day. He burns to be really freaking good. And I think he believes he's good. When I say he's humble, I think it's one of those ones where he is humble, like when he takes it down a notch and he's talking to people. But I think if you got Trey McBride on the on the true serum, you you you'd hear a guy that definitely believes that he absolutely can be the best in the game.
Speaker 1: And let's just say there have been times in the moment in the game where he's told defenders you can't cover me, and he's had that same exchange even with Buddha Baker in practice. Both him and Buddha have talked about how they go back and forth. In fact, here's Buddha on Trey McBride making his first Pro Bowl.
Speaker 13: He's always been that guy to to catch the brock and to block and do everything that is necessary for a tight end to be great in this league. And I knew he was going to be great his rookie year and now that he's here, made his first Pro Bowl of you know, he was in a hot til when I seen him and just had to shake his hand and say congratulations. He's earned it, and I think he's one of the best tight ends in this league, and Monty's got to make him the highest paid.
Speaker 1: There he goes his representation Buddha Baker as Trey McBride.
Speaker 7: He's not zip but one when they go to talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so which in okay, he's now eligible right for a contract extension any day. Now, I'm sure any of it, just don't maybe not any Well, this offseat, we'll see, we'll see what happens exactly. We'll say this because you know what, we'll keep Trey mcplay humble, get into the end zone. That's obviously a box that he wants to check. You know, it's remarkable when you look at, for example, a Ravens team, Mark Andrews and Isaiah likely combined for seventeen touchdown catches this year. So, okay, you know what more is there in regards to Trey mcbriden the red zone, because we saw them and it was remarkable to see the efficiency. Right, he'd have ten catches on ten targets.
Speaker 6: I think when you go to the touchdown, let's die. I mean, this is a bigger picture thing. Kyler Murray only had twenty one touchdown passes and that came with four in the last game. So I think this team needs to find a way to get touchdown passes more often, not just to Trey McBride, but more often period.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, we said in the off season, right, you're always looking to get better. Finish finish drives, finish games, finish seasons. Speaking of, you can learn more about Arizona Cardinals season tickets, premium seating groups, and luxury field seating experiences today. For all your Cardinals ticket info, go to Azycardinals dot com slash tickets, Azycardinals dot com slash tickets.
Speaker 7: We'll finish the showdown, right, is that what we could do?
Speaker 1: Sure, let's do that. In fact, you know what, speaking to the State Farm Stadium, it's a rematch of Super Bowl fifty seven, and we'll talk about Eagles and Chiefs next on the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 12: Zero of the Clark, the Player with Life Skyward and the Eagles not just beat but annihilate the Washington Commanders fifty five to twenty three.
Speaker 5: What a day?
Speaker 12: Want to win?
Speaker 1: One a crown? What a team won a season? But it's not over yet.
Speaker 5: One more snap puts the Lamar Hunt Trophy right back into the Kansas City Trophy case.
Speaker 8: Going to a knee.
Speaker 1: You can't doubt the Chiefs.
Speaker 5: You can dislike the Chiefs, you can disrespect the Chiefs.
Speaker 7: You're gonna have to deal with the.
Speaker 5: Chiefs being the first team in National Football League history to win back to back Super Bowls and go to the Super Bowl for a chance for a three peat.
Speaker 1: Facts, deal with a Darren Urban. Mitch Holt is breaking it down for you. Merril Reese with the Eagles the final calls, if.
Speaker 6: That's what he's saying, Now, what happens if they win the Super Bowl? What's he gonna say after that?
Speaker 1: That's true, where'd he leave himself? Where's he going with the next call? If they do indeed win? And you know what, for everyone who's been trying to deal with Chiefs fatigue, well, guess what you're watching because they just set a record TV rating, best AFC Championship game audience ever with over fifty seven million viewers for a Kansas City team that has now won an NFL record seventeen straight one possession games. They have won nine straight playoff games. That's crazy, I mean. And we had a chance to talk with Kurt Warner earlier in the show just about the greatness that is Patrick Mahomes. And my contention all week long has been, Okay, what do you do to beat the best player on the planet? Can you form the best team on the planet? And Kurt talked about that, trying to build the offensive line if you're Philadelphia, and they have done Man, they have done that, and they've also had the NFL's leading rusher. In fact, there's another stat The last time a team won a Super Bowl with a rushing champion was the Broncos with Terrell Davis nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 7: Much different game, Paul, Yes, it.
Speaker 1: Is, thank you. So how competitive do you think this game will be?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, I fully expect it to be competitive on a couple different levels.
Speaker 6: I know the teams are a lot different than they were a couple of years ago, but they played an unbelievable Super Bowl a couple of years ago at State Farm Stadium. I expected to be close because the Chiefs. Every game the Chiefs play is close, so why would this be any different?
Speaker 1: Including Super Bowl fifty seven they rallied from down ten at halftime and then they won on the airskin Butker field goal five.
Speaker 6: I mean, heck, we we can just stick with this year and they play a tight game every week. Yeah, they won all of them, but they were all like razor thin margin. So I expect this to be a really good game. I am one of the very few people apparently out there that doesn't have Chiefs fatigue and in fact not a big Eagles guy, so I will totally be hoping that the Chiefs win a third straight Super Bowl. So but I expect it to be good. I understand the people that are kind of bummed out that either the Lions or the Bills or both didn't get here, because those were some feel good stories in a lot of ways, But uh, you know, quite frankly, unless the Cardinals are gonna get there, which would drastically change how I would view the prism of the Super Bowl. It's it's a super Bowl. You're gonna watch it, and no matter who's.
Speaker 1: In it, and you know what's That's why I find myself. I'm gonna watch the game, absolutely obviously, but I'm probably not going to consume as much of the hooplah in New Orleans all next week going up to the game, just because sort of you've been there, you've done that. You know the players, you know the coaches, you know the backstories.
Speaker 7: Are you a hoopla guy?
Speaker 1: Anyways, I try and participate theren.
Speaker 7: I'm really honest, like I's trying to do a good.
Speaker 1: Job faking it if nothing else.
Speaker 7: Well, okay, I've heard that about you.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Jalen Hurts, let me ask you this, Okay. He ran for three touchdowns. He also completed twenty to twenty eight passes for two forty six and another touchdown. After the game, he said, quote, well, yeah, Nick, let me out of my straight jacket a little bit today. What'd you make of that drama? And and do you think they open up Jalen Hurts a little bit more? Or when you have Saquon Barkley in the best offensive line in the game. No, no, no, no, no, just be captain checkdown.
Speaker 6: Honestly, you know what, the first thing I thought of Paul when I heard that whole thing, and it kind of made me smile when Nick's here and it says, oh, he was just kind of joking around. He didn't, you know, it wasn't anything. Yeah, it was, of course it was. You don't say it if it didn't. The first thing I think of is, to a certain extent, I hear Kyler Murray in the back of my head because the Cardinals are a very good running team, and when they've had a good couple good games this year where they won and they passed the ball, and you kind of hear Kyler talking about, you know, it's good to pass the ball and it's good to throw it around.
Speaker 7: Like quarterbacks want to throw the ball. The Eagles want to throw the ball. Jalen Hurst wants to throw the ball. Aj Brown wants to catch the ball. DeVonta Smith wants to catch the ball. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 6: And don't get me wrong, I'm sure they love Saquon bark running for eight thousand yards, but they still want to be able to do what they do.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: Do I think they need to stick to what they've been doing to win the Super Bowl? I do, but I'll be curious. You know, they ran up the score on the Commanders. Chiefs defense is something different than the commander's defense. I'm telling you that right now. So are they going to be able to have that kind of success? I will be curious.
Speaker 1: I mean, for example, you're watching Buffalo and Kansas City in that AFC Championship game, and I know I have company in this regard. The game is hanging in the balance, and where's James Cook? Yeah, where is James Cook? In that game? He didn't have nearly enough touches and when he did touch the ball, he was really dynamic. And we all know Saquon Barkley is every bit the running back of James Cook. So with that in mind, I do wonder, you know, if Phildelphia comes in and you know what, Jyalen, that's great, But here's the straight jacket again, and we're just gonna plow straight ahead.
Speaker 6: I would think that that's what you would be going into it thinking. I mean, why wouldn't you. I mean, Saquon Barkley legitimately has an argument to be in the MVP conversation. I don't think he was because I'm I'm a if you got a really great quarterback, that's gonna trump a running back to me.
Speaker 1: But and by the way. Just look at Lamar Jackson's rushing numbers this year. He almost ran for a thousand yards. So, but what with the NFL can't afford is to have a close win by Kansas City and have it be controversial for any sort of officiating.
Speaker 6: I've got I've grown tired of that one too. I I look, I spent I spent a large amount of parenting my youngest son in different sports, but but basketball especially, Like, dude, every time your team loses, it's not the ref's fault. And again, I get, I get it where there's a couple of things, but I'm like, come on, like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 1: Well, to that end, former Chiefs All Pro tackle Mitchell Schwartz, who who won the twenty nineteen Super Bowl with Kansas, he tweeted out, maybe the Chiefs are better coached, and maybe they don't hit quarterbacks late or hit him in the head or the neck. Back in my day, way back in twenty nineteen, teams who got less penalties called were considered better coached. Insane, And you can't argue with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes record their fifth Super Bowl in seven years when the games are hanging into the balance and the biggest moments, they're at their best or at least better than you.
Speaker 6: And some of this is just the name, the circumstances, The details changed, but everything stays the same. I guarantee you if we got off this radio show, I could go on the internet and quickly find five examples of somebody being quoted as saying, boy, you just breathe on Tom Brady and it's a penalty?
Speaker 7: What is this? They get all the calls.
Speaker 1: By the way, the last time Kansas City lost a playoff game, it was to maybe the only other quarterback who's better than Patrick Mahomes in the clutch. Dare I say it? Joe Burrow, Joe cool, Joe.
Speaker 7: Burrow in the moment a lifetime ago.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a seem like that. What other beyond the two quarterbacks and beyond Saquon Barkley? I mean, how do you weigh Chris Jones the key to the game, and then Kansas City defense? How about you know, Jalen Carter and that Eagles defense, which is talented at all three levels.
Speaker 6: Obviously, I'll be fascinated to see the Chiefs have not looked great offensively consistently all season, They've done just enough. They got thirty two points last week, so I'm curious to see. Is this kind of a new Chiefs offense for the playoffs where they put enough in their back pocket that they can spring it out there. I think you can score some points on the Eagles. The question is can the Eagles score the points? And they've proven they have all season to make this a really good game. And I do think it's going to be a good game one way or the other, and it'll.
Speaker 1: Probably be record TV ratings. We'll see as history hangs in the balance. Can an NFL team three peat? Special? Thanks again Kurt Warner, Hall of Famer, joining us talking about the Super Bowl and the Cardinals Executive producer Jim al Mahundro, Associate producer Cody Fincher, Tech Nicol director Ali Narini or Darren Urban and Paul calvec Wolf get well.
Speaker 7: Hopefully hopefully comes back. We don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see off season. You never know. I mean, maybe he's making some sort of contract statement right now heading into the off season. It is The Big Red Rage presenting a santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert right on the price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast. We're gonna see a little, big red rage football right here. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.