Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Wednesday, June eighteenth. The Ravens concluded their mandatory Mini caamp today, which wrapped up the team's off season program. The next big item on the docket is training camp, which starts later next month. Now, the big news for the Ravens today was the addition of cornerback Jaiyear Alexander. The Ravens signed the former Packers two time pro bowler. And head coach John Harbwall talked after practice about what the addition of Alexander means for this team.
Speaker 2: Okay, good seeing everybody here, appreciate you being here. Crazy weather outside, well now it's nice, but it wasn't before. And so we came inside and I thought we had an excellent practice. Guys are really locked in trying to try to do everything right, so you appreciate that. As a coach. It was fast and it was pretty sharp. So that's it for this phase. I kind of look at mini camp like the start of training camp. You know, it's the first mandatory type of deal. We'll pick this up then in a few weeks start training camp when the rookies come back in the rookies will have one more week here of conditioning, strength and conditioning, so they'll get that done and and we'll be moving on into the season. Guys will get away a little bit, uh, take care of their take care of their job. They come back in the best shape of their life, take care of their family or their family's needs, and take care of their own needs and and then be ready to go. What questions you have.
Speaker 3: The addition of trays out, well, just.
Speaker 2: Really excited about it. Had a chance to you know, sit down with them today, which was awesome, awesome, awesome time. And he's he's excited to be here. We're excited to have him. He had been kind of behind the scenes in the works a little bit and uh, and I know we wanted to be here and we wanted him here, you know, So for it to work out the way it did made Lamar happy. You know, I think made everybody happy. It's just uh, an opportunity to become a better team in that sense today. So we're really excited about it.
Speaker 4: They're with the now works.
Speaker 2: Who's good timing, who's good timing.
Speaker 3: Of the last couple of questions about kind of what the new kickers, seeing how they would approach.
Speaker 5: Me and that besides has learned the other another.
Speaker 6: A few sessions in talking to the years that's seen hell, that fair is what have helped you kind of see that now that uncertas the.
Speaker 2: Provision right well, I think the biggest thing is to try to put them in tough situations as much as we can. I mean, there's there's the idea of the of the repetition, you know, and being able to replicate the swing, and Randy works that with those guys all the time. They're down there and and just putting the numbers up, you know, and those are all charted and graft and everything else. And and then you get into the situations and the team situations one thing. Then the the the the game scenarios are the next thing. They have to run out and make it like a make it like a game. Uh. Then they're working on some other things. I mean, both those guys are working on some trajectory things that you know, you don't really know about, but you know, they're trying to change the trajectory of the ball a little bit from what they've done. So uh, we get it where we want it to be, so it's a little more consistent and certain conditions and they've been working on that. So all those things I think add up and then the end result with all that going on has been really good. So a good solid job and again we'll pick it up in training camp.
Speaker 3: Does your special teams back on me, but kind of hope doesn't talking about on those about astor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm the I'm the guy. I'm the guy that I'm the guy that pats on the shoulder and kicks him in the butt at the same time. So that's my job.
Speaker 7: What do you think when you've dealt with Tyler? You know, I've heard some guy his.
Speaker 3: Late consistency can just swing.
Speaker 7: Have you noticed that in what you see in this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a really good athlete. So he's got body control and he can he can he can he can make adjustments from a coaching point standpoint, and and Soak and John they're both doing a good job with that and actually pick it up really quick. He's just kind of a natural athlete, so he picking it up quick. Now it's just a matter of doing it over and over again. Uh. And he's yeah, he's done a good job with that lot of you know.
Speaker 8: He think I'm kind of a veterans of coming up from a one year.
Speaker 7: Deals tell the technical because.
Speaker 8: I guess how easy occasions is for you as a coach to have those guys had experience.
Speaker 9: When as a Gandre Adell now.
Speaker 8: Jai Year that really just come in and similar to themselves in other culture. What's the similarity scene that loves.
Speaker 7: The vetter ends have come in here.
Speaker 2: Well, all the guys who've come in here have wanted to be here. That's the number one thing, you know. I think I believe that guys understand kind of what we're about, the organization, that the culture of the program.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they're the kind of guys that see themselves in that, you know. That's that's how they see themselves as a raven so to speak. And you see DeAndre and how he's been with it, He's been phenomenal, you know, and you guys watching in practice, I would say I expect the same thing from from Jaire. That's kind of the conversation that we had today. And it's if it's the right guy, Like, if you like football and you love everything about football, you're gonna you're gonna like it here. You're gonna be happy, you know, if if a guy doesn't really feel that way, you know, it's probably best he somewhere else. So these guys have all been those kind of guys.
Speaker 10: You've got to see more of some us. He came on the defense from some of the injury issues guys that haven't in the secondary. What do you see from him coming and going into a year two?
Speaker 6: What you said?
Speaker 2: I think he said really good off season. You know, the OTAs have been really good. He's gotten better every day and and and uh, and the last two practices have been very good. So I mean you watching him out here, I think you see it. Yeah, he's looked really good. He looked like they made the stride.
Speaker 8: She looks like what he's to gas, what he wants to do?
Speaker 2: Well, I saw it catch on the sideline. That was spectacular. That was pretty awesome. Uh, he's uh, every day all he does is show up and go one hundred miles an hour. We did get him to talk today because it's his birthday tomorrow, so we have birthday wisdom, you know, birthday wise words, and so he gave us a wise word and made him stand up to do it.
Speaker 7: So he loved that, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's he's got a chance to be really good. John. Zach is a guy.
Speaker 8: Honestly in the communities out over, curious, respected to heart and see grow from thing. What do you think of the biggest difference when the gales in that for pH from your.
Speaker 2: One team too well, I mean, you know, Zack is a guy that I watch him every day. I think I know he's doing a great job day to day with a with coaching, with all the aspects of that job. It's a big job being the defensive coordinator. And he's done. He does it really well every day. I'll watch him every day and so not surprised at all by it. I mean kind of expected it, definitely expected it. So but we all grow get better, see things you learn from, learn from you know, successes and and and uh failures, you know, and Zach's great about that. He's very humble, good combination of humility and confidence, very very very charismatic guy, really smart, good teacher. All those things that I knew, and you see it every day.
Speaker 8: Jas spend a couple of months ago from them. Yeah, that's serve inside of what part of the toss the floor and the package.
Speaker 2: General manager talked.
Speaker 8: About how it open, he was maybe maintain. Can you talk about that at all during the suminal?
Speaker 7: And do you remember that?
Speaker 4: And how do you expect him to kind of play to pross there?
Speaker 2: I really don't remember it, I guess, I guess now that you mentioned it, now I remember it. I've forgotten about it. Uh and uh no, it's not part of our conversation at all.
Speaker 3: When you have especially doctosition on a corner in a big I need everybody on the kinds play a little pla when you have corners, And how couldn't it's that just I mean as a boom to blox for defense.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, when you've got corners, you don't have to worry about your corners, you know, And it's kind of a big deal because a lot of players are made out there on that red line, on that outside part of the outside third part of the field. You know, that's that's an area of the field that really needs to be defend. And then you know they'll when you play man, they'll run all those crossing routes and all those pick routes, and you guys that can keep up with that stuff. So just give you more options, you know, with your with your defensive play calls. So yeah, that's a good thing. I mean, I'm really really fired up about that. I mean, I think I thought we had an excellent bunch of corners yesterday, and we added one more excellent corner today, So it's that much better.
Speaker 4: You guys already have a playing in place for helping him get past some of these injurybos, but the development of it's always help.
Speaker 3: You guys have a product, hoping backs, you.
Speaker 4: Parse you through differents that they have plenty for.
Speaker 2: Definitely the same thing we do with our guys. I mean, you know, Cheetoh has been the same thing. We've had that same conversation, same question when he came in. It's very similar. Those two guys that are highly talented guys that have had to unfortunately deal with some injury woes, you know, and you know, obviously that's the upside for us that we want to get those guys healthy and rolling those You guys got the Commander of.
Speaker 8: Joy practice coming up later in the summer.
Speaker 7: How much are you you guys as a team looking forward to obviously.
Speaker 2: That breach it's very different from.
Speaker 8: What it was two years ago the last time you guys met up here.
Speaker 9: So how much are you guys look forward to that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, right now we're probably not looking forward to it cause it's so far away and there's so much to go between then and now. I actually have the colts in here before that, so I would say first things first, but uh uh now is a no long term.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about it, you know. I'm excited to go down there to their place. I've never seen it, and I have so much respect for uh coach Quinn and the whole organization and the team and everything. What we played him last year, so we know what kind of team they are, so it'll help us be a better team. Joll.
Speaker 4: No, everybody gets argued seven talks years areas ever? You still every still on craft for bringing.
Speaker 3: Camp as far as them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in training camp, I think at some point, you know, I wouldn't. I wouldn't couldn't promise the start training camp. Uh. With that the the timeline of that, wouldn't say the start training camp unless he does something miraculous. But I'm hopeful at some point in time in training camp we see him John, I guess.
Speaker 10: Say it's you talking about his names and Lamar.
Speaker 3: Who is still improved to buy a lot of one of the best seasons quarterback last year.
Speaker 2: I guess can see the days that you've served here, what have you seen different come here and the what did you work to see if.
Speaker 9: You want to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's again, it's it's it's just across the board growth probably that he probably would talk about as well. I mean, I see him, I see him. He's throwing the ball great. You know, he's making he really has a really good grasp of the offense and that's only going to get better the more reps he gets. But I think he you know, I'm I'm really when he comes out here and he's practicing the last two days, I'm really glad he's our quarterback.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: It makes me really happy, makes me smile inside, you know. And I think it's a good room. You know, those guys have done a great job, all three of those guys with t and Daniel, So you know, we just got to go to work and and uh and just keep improving. It's really not so much about Lamar or any individual player. They work on their craft, but for me as a coach, it's all fits together. So the whole offense, the whole defense, the whole special teams, the whole team. You know, you kind of see that moving forward.
Speaker 5: If you look at the offensive line going into camp, do you see both of the guard jobs as open competitions to start or more on one side.
Speaker 2: Than the other or yeah, I mean I don't know. Kind of asking me to like like put it on the scale. I mean, you know, in one sense, you know, every job is open, you know. I mean, you never know what's going to happen the next day. You've got to be ready for every possibility. So in competition is what the NFL is all about, you know, It's what any it's what sports is all about. Competition. So everybody's always competing every day. But those are those are two of the positions that are you know that I kind of think I got a pretty good idea that the guys that you saw out there today are in the lead, you know, and they've especially a Daniel you know, he had the most experienced last year. So he did a nice job, really played well as the season went on, and then you know when when the vore, he's got his chance. I mean he looked really good too. In that one game in the Browns game. So but you know they both they know they gotta play well. You know they'll be standard, will be very high, but we expect them to play up to it.
Speaker 4: You do two more, John, think you guys are already past your man already hell and Alexampis Hicks or anything to kind out the type of close rounds team.
Speaker 9: What do you kind of how did you send all this to?
Speaker 4: You know, what do you want them to how you want them to approach the actification for the pressure?
Speaker 3: You want to hook the round as you guys have this hypness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they say pressure is a privilege. I think the US open right. We said that Billy is it Billy Jean King? You said that anybody anybody pretty sure is Billy Jean King? So what's that.
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: But it could have been, It could have been. As I say, You're right.
Speaker 9: The we are we are, we are.
Speaker 2: We are locked in doing everything we can possibly do to being, you know, to be the very best football team we can be with intentionality and with purpose. That is what we are doing. And I see it. You guys watch practice, you know you should be seeing it out here. I see it in practice. So where that leads us is going to be where it leads us, and we've got to take care of the process and it's our job to make it happens. Now what you say, it's not anything other than what you do, you know, And I see the guys doing it every day and I can't wait for the next day.
Speaker 11: Consistent kind of this season with this group, or so the lore of the past couple of seasons, or is it rare to feel that way at this point that you are so locked in before.
Speaker 3: Even canvas years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. I mean, it's a consistent principle for us. It's what we believe in and it's what we emphasize.
Speaker 7: But I do see it in this group, you know.
Speaker 2: I can't really compare it. You kind of forget, you know, but I see it right now in this group at a really, really high level. And that that, you know, that's what you want to see as a coach. All right, guys, thank you.
Speaker 1: We also heard from other players in the secondary, including safety Kyle Hamilton.
Speaker 9: Yeah, kind of crazy. How fast that news broke, He shout out Anthony Miller. He's requested that we were at lunch and we literally Lamar told us and five seconds later we see it on Pat McFee show, So that's crazy, but great addition. I mean, he's been one of the best in this league since he got in it. And to have anybody like that, no matter what position room was, especially as a dB, it's a super valuable And I'm super out of breath because we literally just finished practice, but excited to have him. Been talking to him a lot. Cool dude, I mean, I love that.
Speaker 1: Another another.
Speaker 3: What is that.
Speaker 2: Punch ability?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think somebody I think it might have been aussy. I think he said you can never have too many dbs. And you know, I feel like every for every team at some point in the year, it seems like everybody's staying at dB and you know, to just add a guy like that into a room kind of what I was saying, like, not not only his play but his energy, his charisma is just leadership ball knowledge. It's uh, it's gonna be great to have in the room. And decided to get in acclimated and everything seems super eager to get in the playbook and stuff. So we're all excited to have him going into camp.
Speaker 1: Uh. Roster wise, ye literally have no homes a competition.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think I think people kind of play into the you know, every off season, there's some moves made, and I think people read a little bit too much into I think we still have our guys here and uh, we got a lot of talent that we retained and brought in obviously, just got you out here. But I was just talking to coach har Ball, like just these two days, you can kind of see the trajectory that we think we're on. And still a lot of work to be done obviously and going to continue throughout the season. But I mean we're off to a great start. Seems like we're playing twelve on eleven out there. Sometimes no offense to the offense, but they'll probably have a different answer to that. But I think we're clicking really well right now. Just clean up the little mistakes.
Speaker 3: About Bill you know, you.
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 9: I mean he's a Georgia boy, so he was in and when he was born not Bulldogs, but he was born in state. We don't care about the Bulldogs. But now he's super eager to learn and very mature for his age. I can tell.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 9: He just is a great dude, great football player, and excited for you all to see it on display this this season. Obviously sick about what happened to Ad and think of him, prayers for him, and uh, but I mean I thought that allows Malachota kind of he's gotta grow up quicker now. And but I think he's just the right guy for it. So I'm excited for him. He's gonna do very well with the opportunity. He's gonna have a great career.
Speaker 2: That's just.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter, just that.
Speaker 4: Type of bread talent, you know, down type game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that kind of comes with the added expectation that we welcome. I mean, obviously, like you said, nobody really cares that much on our side, what round you were taking. Obviously there's undrafted dudes in the league that make a make a big splash every year. But you know, to have everybody back there is talented, smart, hard worker. We really have no excuses to not go out there and do what we need to do. So it's all us at the end of the day, and pressure is the privilege, and I'm excited for us to have that privilege.
Speaker 8: You know, just curious that's stood out obviously repressive about everyone stood too.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think it's different being on a position coach. I mean, I'm speaking for him right now, but uh, being a position coach in a d C UH, you know, obviously we had some tough losses in the past when he was the DC or LB's or when he was an LB's coach, and but as of DC, you kind of I feel like you take those losses more on your back, on your shoulders. So I think he's come back this year with the great outlook. You know, we have the scar tissue from last year and it's gonna be good for us going into this year. And he just the way he commends the room, you can tell there's a difference and confidence in him and UH and everybody in the room, and you know he puts that confidence in us, so we follow his lead and he's done a great job so far.
Speaker 5: When you do any work with Malachia outside of the sort of normal work that the room does, to sort of hone in on that partnership that you.
Speaker 9: Know you had it with Ad, we know, Yeah, yeah, I think so. I mean, it's I feel like in camp it's gonna be a big thing because there's so much you're doing every day. You know, everybody's messing up every day. Everybody's doing making good plays every day, so watching that stuff on a daily basis is kind of hard now people in and out only two days mini camp. But I think I'll probably talk to him and we'll do not just me and Malachi, but everybody in the dB room defense will have a group stuff going on so we can all be on the same page.
Speaker 2: With having now gone through a spring.
Speaker 8: Would have been your impressions to Chuck Pagano, I mean, we know the experience over head coach all that.
Speaker 3: What do you think you can do for your group?
Speaker 9: Yeah? I think every time he says something in the meeting room with all the DB's, it's kind of like it's like he's just dropping knowledge, like he's forgotten more football than a lot of people know. So uh, to have somebody in the room like that. And Donald two, who's been doing a great job. Honestly, he gets through those installs like a pro. It's it's impressive. But now they're both doing a great job so far. But back to Chuck, I think he's he's accomplished everything in this game besides winning Super Bowl. So he's voiced that and we want to get that not only for us, but for him too, guys like him who haven't been able to reach that pinnacle. So he's just a great guy to have and really happy about the room right now. Appreciate y'all.
Speaker 1: We also heard from cornerback Marlon Humphrey.
Speaker 2: Your initial reaction with the edition of I like It.
Speaker 7: I told him earlier.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 6: I asked him if he deleted Instagram because I was gonna d m him. We talked a little last year when we had the joint practice, but then I can foind him on Instagram, so I asked.
Speaker 7: Him, did he deleted his Instagram? And he said yes, so yeah, but uh, yeah, I like it. I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 7: We did kind of speak on teaming up last.
Speaker 6: Year, but obviously, you know, he was like I'm here and I was like, oh, I'm probably not leaving here either, So uh, it ended up working out.
Speaker 7: But uh really excited.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 6: You can A quote that's never been said and probably will never be said in NFL history is we got too many corners that can cover. So I think that's a great that's a great problem to have, and really excited to For that addition, Well, spent.
Speaker 3: A lot of time in the slot last year.
Speaker 2: Did you relish that opportunity to play inside match up against some of the slap receivers and you get a little more fiscal blitz.
Speaker 11: Is that something you wanted to do?
Speaker 8: Is it something you've like, really enjoyed doing.
Speaker 6: You know, when I first got out there, I think maybe my second or third year, it was something I really wasn't very comfortable with. But ever since I read shirted Obama that that offseason, I went into the the spring training and my thought process was, you know, doesn't really matter what position I'm asked to do, but the special teams, no matter what it is, I always be excited to get on the field whatever the coach that's men to do. And fast forward to when I when they first asked me to do that, uh that third year, I was thinking in my head, I don't think this is gonna work too well, but they think I can do it, so I'll try it out.
Speaker 7: And it ended up working pretty well. And now I've I've come.
Speaker 6: To like it because you know, corner you gotta there's only so much aggression you can have when you gotta cover Jamar Chase.
Speaker 7: You can't be too aggressive.
Speaker 6: But Nicol you get to get in there, get in the mix, get in the trenches, as the big guys call it. So uh, I feel like I'm a smaller guy when I'm dealing with the three hundred pound guy, but I try to put on my big boy pads and and do my thing.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I've enjoyed it. It's it's been fun.
Speaker 6: I've taken notes from a lot of different guys across the league that have a lot of success, splits in Mike Hilton obviously, Kyle Hamilton, some of those guys that so a lot of just different finesse and different ways to get in there.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I've to answer your question. I've I've started to enjoy the position.
Speaker 8: Kind of similar role of issue and how much this addy guy like Jarvis and the guys flexibility guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so before Ad got hurt, obviously there was gonna be a ton of flexible, a lot of flexibility. Then we had Cheeto and it's like, wow, we can get even more flexibility. Then you know, Ad goes down, so we still got some spots, and then now we ad Jair and it's just I think the the options are endless. With me playing a little safety Coyle planning that it's I think. I mean, even uh Malaka in college he played kind of some of that nickel position. So it's it's gonna be a fun secondary I think, and just guys can kind of play wherever. I mean, it's added the addition to Jay along with the other guys we got, it can be serious matchup. You know, if there's a guy that we feel that this guy can cover this guy better, we can match him up with him. We can all pick kind of who we want. We can have four, you know, first round corners out there at the field. There's there's just so much that we can do it it. Uh, it's really exciting. It's really excited to add him.
Speaker 3: Last years that we ended the season.
Speaker 2: Too focus in the last year.
Speaker 1: How did you kind of describe your process approach?
Speaker 2: I meant to intel, you know, I think.
Speaker 7: When I was as I've gotten older, I've tried to as older might not be the word.
Speaker 6: As I've decided to get married, I realized I was moving a little fast and I felt in order to to get that wife that I wanted, I needed to slow down some. And that's kind of the approach I really took to my life, my family life and my football life, and that was the biggest thing. To just slow down, take your time, get to get to work early. You might not have a meeting for another hour. To get to work early, You'll find something to do. Playing leaves it too. Get to the planet two sit on there. I don't I don't ever like to rush. And I've took I've really focused in and took that approach to football. I think the year before I was hurt a lot and I realized I'm just gonna take every day like this could be my last year playing, this could be my last day living. And that's an approach I took last year. That's approach I take now. I'm usually one of the last guys to leave. I'm basically here every single day off day or not. Me and Broderick Washington, it's this one guy usually running too on every every off day. We are here very unnecessarily just here, and uh Broad is usually actually working out. I'm usually just wasting my time here a lot of times. But I just like to really slow down enjoy where I'm at because us you know the reality is, with z being our coach, you really never know when your last And now the football is gonna be. That's a that's just a true reality. You never know when your last breath is gonna be. And that's just the biggest thing I took to last season. I truly played it as obviously I knew the things coming to the season. My performance kind of depend was very dependent on if I would be playing for this team or not, and I wanted to My thought presses was if this is my last year, I really want to enjoy it. And as I'm you know, getting older, So they say, that's kind of just the reality. You just never know when a what a team wants to do. This, this game is, this place is loved, this place is great. But at the end of the day, the NFL is a business and I'm not getting no younger players can still get made. But that's just the reality how I approach it, and that's worked well for me.
Speaker 3: He's the guy who's had the stage with his career that kind of been your points the team.
Speaker 6: I like, I've got to have some conversations with him. He is mister KANDESSI catch that is for sure. Just having a conversation with him, I thought it was really humbling. We asked him me and one of the strength coaches. You know, what do you think about the team from the outside looking in since you've been in other teams, And he said, it seems like there's been a piece that's been missing. I could be that addition.
Speaker 7: I could not be that addition.
Speaker 6: And to hear a veteran guy, all pro guy, Pro Bowl guy say he could be or he could not be, to me, that was extremely humbling.
Speaker 7: And I feel that he fits the Raven mold and I think he'll fit right in.
Speaker 5: Players we just talked about a couple of them. Do you guys have the collective mindset of we're one of the best few teams and as we go into the next extra seven months, everything has to be about that final result that we want.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think, you know, obviously we end last year loss of the bills.
Speaker 7: You know, I think.
Speaker 6: Every window opens and every window closes as far as that championship, you know, ability, And I feel that I'm not gonna say we've underperformed, but we have underperformed. I feel that we've had championship caliber rosters. I feel that we've prepared like a championship team, and it's just been something we gotta do but I don't feel that we're far off. I think I can only speak on the defense. I feel that when I first came to the Ravens, it was all about the Ravens defense. It was all about the Ravens defense. It was all about the Ravens defense. And I feel like I've let that standard being here, I think the longest defensive guy, I feel like I've let that standard kind of slip, and that's something that I want to get back.
Speaker 7: I want it. Obviously we love Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 6: It's a great, great player, but I want, you know, the Ravens identity to be defense like it was when I first got here. So that's that's something that we're chirping in our room. That's something Zo's lead in the front with. We got to get the football. You When I look back at you know, I was unaware of how elite that two thousand Ravens defense was. And when I was watching some of those playoff games.
Speaker 7: You didn't really need an offense. Honestly, they were just.
Speaker 6: Making so many plays turnovers and that's that's the regular season is very important, but that is something that we are not doing. And it kind of starts in practice We've got a very detailed out like grading system of it's so much honest, it's pretty new, but it's it's really gonna tell and it's showed on our walls, on our on the video boards, in our defensive room.
Speaker 7: Everything's great.
Speaker 6: Like literally every single thing that you can possibly grade is great, and I think it'll ultimately help us be the defense that you know, I feel like Baltimore deserves. So that's the biggest thing. We got to get that back. I think that's that's crucial to to to get that standard back and that that's that's kind of all I'm thinking about as I go on this break, as you're training, you come back, it's go time, and it's all.
Speaker 7: About the ball. It's all about the ball. It's all about the ball. And I think that's what our defense is going to be focused on and that's what we're gonna do this season.
Speaker 10: We talk about DeAndre and the kind of looking at the team from the outside, and when you go back and you look at some of the postseasons, even specifically this past one, did you find yourself asking yourself, like why you aren't getting the results that you're looking to get?
Speaker 1: It was a.
Speaker 6: This is my first off season, full off season living here. And so season ended and for like a probably a solid two weeks, me and some of the staff, most of the guys that kind of got out of town, some of the guys suck around. We were just were we were trying to figure out those same answers. We never really came to anything. It just because you know, being on the inside, it just felt like we were preparing the way we should. It really seemed like everything was kind of where you wanted it, and did the the the the answer never truly came, but I do know the the very simple answer, the one that that did come is the Bills had I think three turnovers, the Ravens had zero, and that right there, I think is a is a that's just to tell the story the percentages. Three turnovers are more than likely gonna win the game. Two turnovers are more than likely gonna win the game. Even one turnover, you're more than likely gonna win the game if the other team had zero. So that's the one thing that's that's pretty evident. It doesn't really matter how good you play defensively. If you can't get the football, you're not playing good enough. And so that's that's the biggest thing to harp on And like I said, that's that's got to be our identity. That's gotta be every all eleven guys that's on the field. I didn'ty get the ball, Get the ball, Get the ball, Get the ball. And I feel like when I first got here once again, the raven flew is a real thing. All of a sudden, the guy with the hamstring, like, ah, he'll be playing next week. There was a fear of when you stepped on the field, there's a fear to throw a screen because you got for d Lineman coming to that's retracing and that standard is just we're chasing to get it back, but it's it's an urgency to get it back. Minnie Kemp was was cool. I felt like we showed a lot of got a lot of good work in OTA's and it's honestly, it's it's against it's it's OTA's looks crazy because usually it's just row. Usually you know road's coming, Well, you got three hundred pound guy's coming and on the outside, it's you better get tackled a guy or you got a lot of guys coming to hit you in their defender.
Speaker 7: So that's uh.
Speaker 6: I think the OTL was was a good glimpse of what we're preaching, putting it to practice, and then training camp comes, season comes, everybody's gotta be rolling.
Speaker 2: You're talking.
Speaker 8: You talked about one good team up with Jay years, So how do you feel like he fits in?
Speaker 1: You know, in terms of how the secondary plays, and then culture wise on the defense and with the secondary, how.
Speaker 9: Do you get fits.
Speaker 6: Pretty good just talking to him, he's excited to work. I know Lamar, Lamar loves him and I we had my my college dB coach was coaching at Green Bay, so he had talked to He said, we're very similar, which is you know, I don't think I've ever heard that before, someone being similar to me. So I think it'll fit in. Well, it's I don't think it's hard to met to fit in here. It's a it's a very easy place I feel like to to to fit in with the team camaraderie. One of the first questions he asked was, y do you guys hang out, which is always a a great thing.
Speaker 7: So, you know, he the the culture, the chemistry.
Speaker 6: I wanted him to put on some cleete today and get out there, but obviously he just got off the plane. But I'm I'm super excited to to add him. I think he'll add mesh really well with the team and it'll be uh, it'll be a good second.
Speaker 8: Hearing and that the defensive great charts out of something he didn't not to. Yeah, and then the second thing, he gave a very you know, passion kind of defense in him last year and said, hey, it's not on him, it's goods on us, and we need to step up the.
Speaker 2: Players and so on and so forth.
Speaker 8: I'm curious, how do you think he responded to after criticism last year From what we saw accept the scene that's kind of stood out from him now compared.
Speaker 7: To you know, a first shooting.
Speaker 6: I think the defensive coaches it seemed like they took a pretty hard study on what we did well last year and what we did bad. I think some of that grading that grading system is some of the notes they took from it. Turnovers was something they took from it. You know, we just have to get the ball more, especially what it matters the most. But as far as he as a coordinator, I felt that, you know, sadly, there's a lot of things that were being coached that were coached correctly, and when he put it out there for us called it, we weren't clicking as far as on the field, and it actually it actually held us back as a defense from what we could call if we couldn't execute what was called.
Speaker 7: So some of them. It had to get a lot more simple until we could show that.
Speaker 6: We could execute these things. And I think this offseason we've it's just gelling. Like I said, there was so many plays when just one guy wasn't doing the right thing, and that was it went across every single position, every single player, somebody not doing what they were supposed to do in those first however many weeks, and I think the biggest change was just all eleven guys doing their job. Is kind of what turned our defense around, putting a D out there and different things.
Speaker 7: But I like ozios I like how he's preaching.
Speaker 6: You know, he said, the best guy is gonna play, and the best guy is whoever's playing the best, and so I think last year he brought some energy, but this year it's if you're not ready to go, if you're not ready to play, you will not be grabbing your helmet on Sunday, and that's kind of what he's preaching. And I think we're all listening. But I know when we come back camp, he's gonna be ready to rock. He's gonna ready to push us, he's gonna be ready to take us. I think to where the Ravens Defense wants used to be, and I'm I'm excited to be a part of it, and I'm excited for the journey.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Prespass post, make sure you head over the Lounge podcast feed and subscribe there as well for a full breakdown of what the addition of Jaire Alexander means for this team. Thanks so much for listening, and we'll be back with you again soon.