Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey Bessies.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're popping off and dishing on the biggest pop culture stories of the week with writer, producer and podcast host Diosa fem which, alas Eleb spent a year buying new clothes to avoid doing laundry, is a tennis star turning the US Open into New York Fashion Week? And what summer trends are we ready to retire? It's Friday, August thirtieth. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 3: I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, to laugh, learn and brighten your day. Simon, can you believe it's Labor Day weekend? How are we already at the unofficial end of summer?
Speaker 2: I cannot process how fast this year is already flying by.
Speaker 1: I mean we're already in full It feels so surreal.
Speaker 3: I just like it's almost January, which means it's the new year. I just don't understand how this happened.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 3: Well, this summer, we've had such beautiful, wide ranging conversations with women that are truly impacting the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think of all the inspiring conversations we've had about the Olympics with Andrea Joyce, Sonya Richards Ross, Sonny Choi, and Rebecca Low.
Speaker 3: Simone, I'm still dreaming in pasta since we talked with Jodo Di Laurentis.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, me too. Did you try her olive oil face scrub?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 4: No, you didn't make it for us. You were supposed to make it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I forgot that was my assignment. I'm not the chemist in this family.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll get to work on that.
Speaker 2: And you know what, since we talked with Mikayla j Rodriguez, I have been living by the Mikayla Jay school of thought, which is take no mess.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. Our whole office says it. Now we are just taking no mess. And I'm going to quote vitamin C. But as we go on, we remember all the times we had together. This was truly a summer to remember, Simone. But I'm really excited for what's to come this uptime.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm still giggling at how corny that was, Daniel. I'm ernest I like a little corny. Okay, I know.
Speaker 2: This about you by now, in all honesty, This summer has been one of the best summers of my life, and a huge part of that is thanks to you, Danielle and our amazing bright Side besties. I've had so much fun with all of you and we can't wait to pop off with you today. But before we do, it's time to spotlight our favorite moment of the week, brought to you by our friends at BMW.
Speaker 3: This week, we're shining a light on someone who is used to seeing her name and lights, but not for what we're shouting out today. She's a singer with a Lifetime Achievement Award and a one hundred percent approval rating. Can you guess who it is? None other than Dolly Parton one hundred percent approval rating.
Speaker 2: Facts facts, big facts, Yes, obviously. In her career spanning over fifty years, Dolly has simply defined country music. She's acted in films, she's become an enduring American icon. But for decades, she's also dedicated herself to making sure our youth have books to read.
Speaker 3: I know that Dolly sort of saved us from COVID, but this is what I love Dolly for. She founded the Dolly Parton Imagination Library back in nineteen ninety five in honor of her father, Robert Lee Parton, who never learned to read her write. So for almost twenty years, the Imagination Library has sent one book per month for free to kids under the age of five. And it started out just for kids in Severe County, Tennessee, where Dolly was born, but it has grown so much bigger over the years.
Speaker 2: It's grown into this whole youth literacy movement. And this week Kentucky and Missouri announced that they're participating in the Imagination Library too, So the AP reported that almost half of preschool age kids in Kentucky are enrolled, So that is so exciting, and that is a lot of books. Now with Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri on board, there are twenty one states involved, plus the Library also has a presence in Canada, Australia, the UK, and Ireland.
Speaker 3: Besties, you know how much we love books on this show, and one of our favorite things about hosting The bright Side is getting to have deep conversations with Reese's book club authors every single month, like the interview that we did this week with Rainbow Rawl about her book Slow Downce. And we know how crucial it is to foster that love of reading at an early age. To this day, some of the best memories of my childhood are with my dad and we would walk about eight or ten blocks to the public library where I grew up in Glencoe, and I would sit on his lap and we would read book after book after book. And that's where I fell in love with Shelle Silverstein and Rold dol And I learned that magic was possible through these books. As a kid, I loved the Shelle Silverstein books too. And you know, now as a parent, this is something that is top of mind for me. And all of the research says that if you want to raise young readers, you need to model it for them. So I try to read in front of my kids. I take my kids to the library. We make reading an activity. We do it in fun places, we do it intense, we do it in the car, we do it at a park. It's all about eventizing it and making it, making it a part of our lives as a family. Okay, someone you know I love a quote. Can I give you one of my favorite quotes?
Speaker 1: Hit me.
Speaker 4: It's from my mother. She says, lessons are caught, not caught.
Speaker 1: So it's a good one.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you. Reading is something that is caught. So Dollie, thank you for the work that you do. All right, Simon and you ready to pop off?
Speaker 2: Yes, let's get it started, okay. Joining us today is Diosa fem A, writer, producer and co founder of Lokata Radio, the production company behind the critically acclaimed podcast by the same name, Diosa.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the bright Side.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me. I'm so excited to be here. Thank you, Diosa. Your last name? Is this your real last name? Because you can't even write how good that is? No, that is my stage name. That's my stage name. That started as an Instagram handle and then it just became a part like people just started calling me that and it's like, okay, well here we go, let's do it.
Speaker 4: This is not my host name, Diosa.
Speaker 3: Loka Tora Radio is all about archiving the present and shifting culture forward. So for any of our besties who are meeting you for the first time, will you tell us a little bit about your mission.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, Loka Dora Radio was founded in twenty sixteen and we so we've been podcasting since then. And the mission behind is archiving our stories. And so when we were starting out, we saw all this talent in Los Angeles, local talent from writers to DJs, producers, musicians, and we're really saying that they weren't necessarily getting the shine by a mainstream media outlet. We're even a mainstream podcast and at the time, the Latina led podcasts were far and few, and so we felt that was our entry way into archiving the stories of at the time, our friends and being able to capture them in this moment in time before they popped off, before they reached the next level, and really being able to document this journey right when it's starting and then now looking eight years later where they are is so so beautiful and so much fun to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Deosa, So your production company just recently launched another podcast called Senora sex Ed that intends to break the stigma and silence around sex and sexuality and LATINX communities. I think this is so cool because I was raised in a mixed race household.
Speaker 1: My mom is black, my dad is white. I think that for a.
Speaker 2: Lot of minorities there can be a bit of conservatism or like hesitancy around these topics like my mom never really talked about sex ed with me. Because of that, I didn't really feel like I had a place for it. So why did you feel like it was important for you to create a platform for these sorts of conversations. Did you have a similar experience growing up?
Speaker 5: I did have a similar experience growing up, and I was raised Catholic.
Speaker 4: I went to Catholic school K through twelve.
Speaker 5: That really informed the type of education I was receiving. It was very abstinence first, and my parents, you know, I think, just repeated the information that they received growing up, which was to actually not talk about it at all. Yes, and then when I came out in high school, it was even less of a conversation like, oh, we don't even know what to tell you, so we're not even going to talk about this at all. And I think when looking at the larger community of Latinas, either daily every day the women that we interact with, or looking at it from a pulp culture lens, there is this tendency for Latinas to be hyper sexualized. And we were faced with this conundrum where wait, we're being hyper sexualized. We actually don't have any information about our bodies about sex and sexuality. What is the conflict there and how do we unpack that and how do we break that stigma and that shame where we can actually have these conversations with each other. And so the point of the show is to have these intergenerational, multi generational conversations, and so we're really prioritizing women that are in their forties fifties plus that have been so far, we've seen the ones that are breaking that cycle.
Speaker 4: They're the cycle breakers.
Speaker 5: Where there's the ones that decided I'm doing things differently with my daughter and we're going to start talking about this and age appropriate ways starting at ten years old, twelve years old and so on.
Speaker 2: Jil So, that is so cool and I love that there's an intergenerational element to it as well.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So on your podcast, you and your co host Mala Munos breakdown pop culture and current events. So I want to know what's on your radar right now.
Speaker 5: I think for me, what's on my radar right now is there was an announcement that there's a remain of La Bamba coming out, and I don't know how I feel about it.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be honest.
Speaker 5: On the one hand, it's exciting because I think, you know, it's another Latino story and it's going to be produced by a Latino production company, and so just the possibility of what that could look like is really exciting. But on the other hand, like the original La Bamba that was written and directed by Luis Valdez is so good. It's so good, it's almost like remaking Selena, right, which was done and it was a mixed reception, And so it's one of those things where it's so good, does it actually need to be remade? And should there may be be a priority or focus on actually getting new things made by Latino talent, by a Latino production company.
Speaker 3: Luis Valdez said that he's not sure why they're remaking it, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean I get the sense that he's not involved in the remake, right, And so I think it's probably like this story was already told and probably all of its possibilities, because I don't think we've actually said it. But La Bamba was or is a biopic of the singer Richie Valence, who tragically died in a plane crash, and so there's not really much more to say about his life and that story at least to my knowledge right, And I think that Luis Faldez is feeling the same way. We captured this rising star in this moment and then he tragically passed away and that story was told, and so I think because his life was cut short, it's like, what else are you going to say about it?
Speaker 2: To me, it seems like there are so many other Latin artists that you could make a movie about that deserve their own biopic.
Speaker 1: So I mean, why not start?
Speaker 2: There Are there any Latin artists that you feel like deserve their own movie?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, that's a great question. I think there's so many. I don't know if there's been a biopic on like Maria Felix, an actress during the Mexican Golden Native Cinema. There's also I'm thinking of La Lupe, who was a Cuban singer.
Speaker 3: Isabella Allende comes to my mind. There was a HBO show made about her life. Yeah, I agree, there's so many stories to tell and I think you.
Speaker 4: Can probably see this as well. But I do think that there's a trend.
Speaker 5: In Hollywood right now to do remakes, to do sequels, and some have been asked for and some it's like nobody's asking for this, so why are we making this? So I think that that's part of the trend of what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies, let's get into some other popping off topics, shall we? So good it we know this weekend is Labor Day, aka the unofficial end of summer, which means it's time for a bit of an in memoriam for the moments that defined the summer of twenty twenty four. These are the trends that kept us going when the sun was out, the guns were out, and the days were long, and we loved them. But now, dearly beloved, the sun is setting and it may be time to put a few of these to rest. So first up, it's the term that defined the summer, brat.
Speaker 1: Are we ready to see it?
Speaker 2: Go?
Speaker 1: I don't know what do you think, Tiosa.
Speaker 5: There are terms that really define a season, right, It's like, go more girls fall brat summer and so I don't know if I see that actually transitioning into like fall winter. But we also saw like a hot girl, a hot girl summer, and it became like hot girl fall, so maybe it'll continue on.
Speaker 1: I am here for the Brat. I don't really want it to go away.
Speaker 3: I love this green color that Simone and I fight about because I call it shartrus and she thinks it's.
Speaker 1: Not a shark truce. It's not a shark truth.
Speaker 3: I love what it means. I'm into it. I don't want it to go anywhere. I like it way better than demure.
Speaker 2: So for me, I feel like Brat is synonymous with summer. It's hard to bring the Brat attitude into fall because the responsibilities, come back schedule, come back.
Speaker 1: Back to school, all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I feel like Bratt is a mindset, and so I think it's like a summer thing, Like I'd love to see Brat come back next summer, but Fall. Trying to think what would like the fall mindset be, you know what it is like. I feel like fall fall, feral fall. I think Fall is like a bit more cozy, you know, it's like coughing season, You're like cozying up. Bratt is like all about being everywhere, all at once.
Speaker 1: That's my take on this.
Speaker 2: How about okay, now this one, maybe we can all agree on this. I feel like the viral Brat dance is like worn out at the dance that everyone was doing to Charlie Xax's apple.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's gone. I'm thirty three, so I can't do that dance. And I don't have children. If you have children, you're left Diosa.
Speaker 2: Danielle and I were on a retreat with some of our colleagues at Hello Sunshine, and some of the either younger millennials or older gen Z folks taught us how to do it. And that's the only way that I learned how to do it. And I was very impressed that I actually got the choreography. But I'm not great with TikTok dances.
Speaker 3: There actually need to be like professional TikTok dance coaches.
Speaker 2: Totally okay. Next, let's talk fashion. How do we feel about the shoes of the summer? Ballet slippers and sambas. Are those staying with us in the fall?
Speaker 5: I think it was a micro trend. On the one hand, I'm like, I don't know Adidas sambas. Those have been like coming in and out for decades for a very long time. I think they'll always be here in some way. I'm actually I don't wear belly flats and I didn't buy a pair, and I don't think I ever will.
Speaker 4: But I'm thinking about the kid in heel.
Speaker 5: Actually, I think that that's comeback also, and I think that's another one that we'll like.
Speaker 4: It's we're going to see it cycle through forever.
Speaker 2: I think prep is going to be huge this fall. I think the preppy aesthetic is going to be major. The starchy white collars, the long sleeve shirts with the collar and the big fat stripes on them. I think you're gonna see people wearing chunky loafers, the high heeled loafers paired with cute little pleated skirts, plaid skirts. So I think that if you can adapt the ballet slippers and the sambas into those outfits, I think you can still wear them and it's more sustainable. There's definitely a way to continue this trend. Interval someone I could not agree with you more.
Speaker 3: I was with some gen z gels over the weekend, and this is how I know what the trends will be. If you want to see like what you're gonna be wearing, look at the younger generation, yes, and they were all rocking the pleated skirts with the sambas, and they had like little high socks black or white it was super cute.
Speaker 1: I'm into it.
Speaker 3: I think like the hit Me Baby One More Time, era is coming back, and I'm not mad about that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I told you, Daniel that I had my college girlfriend Elise in town and something that we love to do is go thrifting, and so we went to a vintage store and we found these chunky Steve Madden loafers. Do you guys remember like the black high heel loafer like that had me in a choke hold for all of my adolescents.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's all I wanted.
Speaker 3: I would beg my mom for those me too, and my mom would not let me wear heels, and it was one of our biggest battles when I was like thirteen.
Speaker 2: I'm still bitter about it to this day. But now I have my own money, mom, and I can go buy my own high heeled loafers.
Speaker 1: But I love those. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: We have to hit pause on popping off with diosa fem, but we'll be right back, and we're back with diosa Fem.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's pivot to a discussion about music. Sabrina Carpenter's Espresso was the song of the summer she's got her whole album out, Short and Sweet. Do we think that she's still going to be the soundtrack to the Fall? What are you guys going to be playing on repeat?
Speaker 5: So I've been listening to chapel Rone also summer, and I do think that I will be listening to her in the fall. But to be honest, I listen to a lot of music in Spanish, so I listened to like a lot of Raton. I listen to a lot of pop in Spanish, and so I'm not always up to date with like the pop albums in English. But I have been listening to Sabrina Carpenter's new album and I hope it carries into fall.
Speaker 1: These last few years have been huge for Latin pop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who are you?
Speaker 1: Who are you excited about right now?
Speaker 5: Oh? There's so many She's not poppy, but I've been listening to Girl Ultra. She does indie sleeves. I listen to a lot of different things in Spanish, and I don't think she's considered pop either. But Becky G, I mean, you know, local girl who's made it big.
Speaker 4: I love Becky G and I love what she's doing.
Speaker 3: Also, I am obsessed with Sabrina Carpenter. I think she is the pop star that I have been missing in my life because she was.
Speaker 4: Made for this her.
Speaker 3: I have not heard music like this since Katie Perry came out. Like when we think pop music, it's those four chords over and over again in a different order, and that's what makes it a hit. So Brina Carpenter kills it in a way that still feels like new and trendy and gen z.
Speaker 4: She is the espresso to my decaf. I am so here for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love her too.
Speaker 2: I just read that she and Barry Kyogan maybe just broke up. Did you guys see that too?
Speaker 3: They are like on and off apparently all the time. But here's the thing, I don't know who he is. I don't care about him. I'm like, she is going to be such a huge start. I used to interview her when she was on Nickelodeon when she was doing the Boy Meets World remake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the show with Daniel Fischel and all the Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: Kids and Ben Savage.
Speaker 3: They did the remake and I interviewed her every single year when she was growing up, and she always wanted to be a pop star. This was always her and so to see it kind of be like a ten year in the making type thing. I mean, Meryl Streep has that famous quote that like it takes ten years to be an overnight success. Yeah, and I really see that with Sabrina Carpenter, because I think people feel like she popped onto the scene as this huge star this summer, but this has been her dream for years.
Speaker 1: I love that, love that story.
Speaker 4: I love that. I feel like the pop stars are back and I'm here for it.
Speaker 3: Another thing on my mind is Naomi Osaka, serving both lit and fig okay, literally and figuratively. She's at the US Open this week and she made a fashion statement, which I love because she's a fashion girly the way Serena is a fashion girly. And she appeared on the court in a green dress with a bow and layers of ruffles, and it might have been the boldest outfit we've seen on the tennis court since Serena. Okay, she dominated and then said that the outphit played a role in helping her feel like herself again. She took fifteen months away from tennis for the birth of her daughter, and she said that putting on that alpha. It was almost like a super suit, and we all know supersuit is from the Incredibles.
Speaker 1: You know, that's my super suit.
Speaker 3: So she said it provided her strength, a sense of self, extra motivation on the court. Simon, you are the only person who has given birth on this podcast. I want to know how you felt after, Like, does this make sense to you?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: You have to find the things that make you feel like yourself. So for me, that was going on hot girl walks with my best friend and eating cake.
Speaker 1: I did that in the fourth trimester, which is like right after you have the baby. That made me.
Speaker 2: Feel like myself again, or going for hikes or I'm trying to think if there were any clothes that I wore.
Speaker 1: That is a thing there. It takes a long time.
Speaker 2: I always say that it takes about two years until you really feel like yourself again. And during that period you're probably not fitting into your clothes. You probably have to buy a lot of new and that process can be a bit disorienting and you're kind of rediscovering who you are and reconnecting with self. I love this for her, and I love that she took such a bold swing with this outfit.
Speaker 1: I think it's.
Speaker 2: Really cool to see female athletes these days expressing themselves through fashion. I mean it's not like it's anything new. We saw a flow Joe do it on the track. But when you look at the WNBA tunnel fits like people like Skyler, Diggan Smith, Kelsey Plum, Asia Wilson, like, it's so cool to see them stunting and like getting the same recognition for their fashion that the male.
Speaker 1: Athletes always get.
Speaker 2: I look at someone like Alona mar as Well and the way that she puts on red lipstick as a rugby player in the Olympics. It makes her feel feminine, makes her feel like herself. I love this for her and I think it was just such an iconic moment too. It made me think about Zendaia's character and challengers Tashi, who is for sure a fashionisa on the court. My one question about this Naomio Soka fit is was it obstructing her game at all?
Speaker 1: That bow was quite oversized.
Speaker 4: And it was beautiful. I love the outfit.
Speaker 5: I actually just started playing tennis a couple months ago, so I sent it to my tennis group.
Speaker 4: Chat and was like, are we recreating this or what?
Speaker 5: And one of the girls said yeah, I want to sew a big bow onto my skirt, honestly, And so I think, I don't know. I think tennis outfits are really in right now, even if you don't play tennis. So I definitely see this look probably being recreated. And she said that it was her best game yet, right, and so I think that the outfit was probably not obstructing her, and I assume she probably practiced in it beforehand, and so the bow was probably made so that it could move with her. And I loved all the ruffles, I loved the detail of the bow in her headphones.
Speaker 4: I just thought it was so good.
Speaker 5: And I agree with what you said, Simone, like I love seeing the way women can take these historically like predominantly masculine spaces like sports like athletics and really show their personality. We saw that at the Olympics, and we're seeing that now. We've seen it many many years with many athletes, like you said, and so I love to just see that personality shine through and that style, and I think it goes to show it's a good reminder that as women, we can really put on this armor. Fashion is not just this frivolous thing that we can partake in and it's not just trendy for a lot of us. It can be a way to really represent who we are and where we come from. And I think that that's what Naomi did, and I.
Speaker 2: Think also these athletes, by them leaning into their sense of self expression, they're reminding us that we don't have to just be one thing. That if we're an athlete, that doesn't mean that we only have to present as strong and muscular, Like you can be strong, and you can also bring a sense of femininity to the if that makes you feel like you.
Speaker 3: And we're finally allowing that as a culture because I think for a long time, even at work, I mean, Sheryl Sandberg's book lean In has an entire chapter about the dress code in corporate environments and how like female lawyers are expected to wear skirt suits or suits because the default is men wearing a suit, and so we're always expected to sort of fall into what they're doing. And I think these women are setting a new default.
Speaker 2: You Know, what I always think about whenever I fly is the fact that it seems to me like flight attendants don't really have a say in how they dress. On most airlines, it seems like they're still dressing like nineteen sixties pan Am flight attendants, And if that's how they want to dress, my thing is like, let the women choose if that's how they want to dress and that's how they feel most confident, like they can do their job great. However, I do want if they actually have a choice, Like do they really want to wear heels as they're running through the airport with a carry on? Like the idea of wearing heels in the airport is absolutely psychotic to me, Like I could never.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, I completely agree, And men are allowed to wear pants, they should have the option.
Speaker 1: I don't totally. Okay, we have another fashion hot take.
Speaker 2: So in a video for GQ published US this week, Channing Tatum, who is doing the press rounds for his new movie Blink Twice, admitted to buying new T shirts for an entire year to avoid doing laundry. My king, I fully support you in this. I feel so seen right now because I absolutely hate doing laundry. So he called this moment the quote year of the Fresh White Tea, and he said that this was actually a while ago, back in nineteen ninety nine or the year two thousand and he says that it was a beautiful year, probably because he wasn't tied to his washing machine and dryer. Let's all be real here, have we ever bought new clothes to avoid doing laundry?
Speaker 1: I certainly have.
Speaker 3: I've only done this traveling, like if I'm missing sometimes, like I forgot to pack all my underwear, and it's like you need underwear, you know, so you gotta go and figure that out. But at home, laundry is my absolute favorite chore.
Speaker 1: I love doing it.
Speaker 3: I don't have a washer dryer in my apartment right now, which makes me sad for many reasons.
Speaker 2: Wait, Danielle, the reason why you love doing laundry is because you don't have a washer and dryer in your apartment.
Speaker 3: No, No, I've had one before, Like when I lived in Chicago and could afford a better apartment, I had a washer dryer, and I would. I love laundry. It smells so good. I love folding it. I find it therapeutic. Okay, what I don't like is making the bed.
Speaker 1: Because I was.
Speaker 2: Gonna say, if you're having someone else fold your laundry, then yeah, I would love that too.
Speaker 4: That sun's great.
Speaker 3: No, No, like I have it like down in my basement, but it kind of freaks me out because everybody in the building uses it and it's like, ok, my clothes never come out quite the way I'd like them too.
Speaker 4: But when I first moved.
Speaker 3: To La I lived in a garage and I didn't have any option, and so I would go to a laundromat and I would call my mom and cry because I truly never felt more sorry for myself than I was when I was sitting at a laundromat. You just start to think about all the things going wrong in your life. It's really a tough place for me.
Speaker 2: I remember the first apartment that we had a washer and dryer in, and it was major.
Speaker 4: It was like, it's such a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's huge. You feel like I finally, I finally made it okay, and.
Speaker 3: An ice maker, Like I don't have an ice maker and I have to like make those little cubes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, diosa, are you a Danielle or a Simone in this scenario?
Speaker 1: Are you do you like doing laundry?
Speaker 4: I'm in the middle.
Speaker 5: I think the channing has enough resources to send out to get his laundry washed and folded, so that's a little interesting to.
Speaker 4: Me early on when he was magic micing up.
Speaker 5: I do feel like it's probably more cost effective to just wash your shirts, right, But I think that I'm in the middle of both of you, So I don't necessarily disdain doing the laundry.
Speaker 4: I don't like putting it away. It takes me too long.
Speaker 5: Like I will do my laundry and I will fold it, but by the time I put it away, like days have gone by. Yeah, And my husband gets mad at me and he's like, you need to put your clothes away. And so he has started to do my laundry because he just can't stand the way I do it, and so he has started to wash my clothes.
Speaker 2: My husband does our laundry too. We have different chores that we each do. He's laundry inclined, like he's actually like good at it, so he does that.
Speaker 1: I do some other stuff. I think it's all about finding your strengths in the relationship.
Speaker 3: Have you guys heard of Brittany Mahomes, Patrick mahomes wife.
Speaker 2: Yes, chiefs player, his wife got it, got sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Brittany Mahomes has made a lot of recently. But what I liked that she said the other day is that she gets way more stressed than her husband, Patrick mahomes on these game days.
Speaker 1: So he is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 3: He plays with Travis Kelce, Taylor Swift's boyfriend, and during a recent podcast episode, she was like, Patrick does not get nervous or stressed at all because it's what he likes to do, but she gets super stressed and nervous for him. And I thought that was really sweet. Do you, Simone, do you get stressed? You're making a face at me. Do you get stressed when Michael is doing important stuff at work?
Speaker 1: No? This is not sweet.
Speaker 2: This is codependency, and this is like, this is bad for her mental health. Why would you want to take on someone else's stress? This is so unsustainable to me.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, maybe I'm a little codependent honestly, because I totally understand this. I feel like, if we're a unit, your stress is my stress.
Speaker 1: Kind of I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I mean I'm trying to think, like, Okay, so my husband is a screenwriter and he premiered a film that he wrote at sun Dance like five years ago. That was a really big deal, and we all went to the premiere, and so there was a lot of, you know, emotions around that. I can't say that I was nervous. I was like, I was excited for him. I think there's certainly anticipation, but I can't imagine taking on boards like my partner's work stress.
Speaker 1: That would be too much for me. Diosa, what do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 5: I think there's that empathy that you have for your partner or your significant other where you're like, I hope that everything works out for you, and I'm sending you the best vibes, but I'm not going to take it on as my own stress because I have my own things to worry about. So I think it's that fine line of you have the empathy, you want to be supportive, you send them the best vibes, but you're not going to be breaking a sweat over it either.
Speaker 4: I think it also depends what it is.
Speaker 3: Laughing so hard because I've literally broke in a sweat. Like my last boyfriend, if he had an event that he was putting on and was like I need a little help, I would literally fly there and be on my hands and knees scrubbing floors, doing whatever I needed to do. Like I'm like, I had this thing in my family that I really loved. My brother's name is Blake. If Blake was applying for college and he needed a little extra support, it was like, we're team Blake right now, and everybody's got a pitch in the way that they can to help support this family member.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, wait, okay, so this is beautiful. I'm all in support of this. I'm so here for dropping everything helping your spouse when they need it, like being that emotional, tangible support for them. But I gotta draw the line at I can't take on your stress. I can't take on your nerves. And also the counter to this is how does her taking on his stress help him, because then he's going to be thinking about how nervous she is for him while he's playing. I think the best thing that you can do is help your spouse or partner try to imagine the best possible outcome both of you get on board beforehand envisioning this is going to go so well, you're going to crush it, hyping them up as opposed to absorbing the stress.
Speaker 4: I think that's a great point.
Speaker 3: And where is the stress coming from Like if he loses and comes home, is he in a bad mood? Is that why she's stressed during the game. I guess we have questions that's a red.
Speaker 5: Flag, like is he taking out We don't know these people, right, but I think in general, like if your partner's coming home and if they had a bad day and they're like being mean to you, like that's obviously not okay. But they're coming home and like they're going to be a little different, They're going to be withdrawn. Let them process their own feelings, like that's okay, But are they taking it out on you?
Speaker 3: That's obviously a way different conversation. Yeah, dio, So it sounds like you went to a lot of therapy. Amen to you.
Speaker 4: I did I have.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I'm a little enmeshed with people.
Speaker 2: I'm a little worried about this, dynam mc danielle. Do we think that Taylor gets nervous for Travis before one of his little games?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Chris, I love that you call it a little game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I one of his little ball games. We have seen that footage of her and Blake Lively and the girl gang in the VIP box at the games and they're like, oh my god, like so dramatic, you know, And I mean, I guess you're just kind of getting caught up in the spirit of sports, which is great. Yeah, I guess that's kind of like a different thing than like being like super stressed. It's about being invested in each other at the end of the day, Well said Sea Money.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, Diosa, thank you so much for popping off with us today.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me. This was so much fun. We talked about everything.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Deosa Yosa Fem is a writer, producer, storyteller and co founder of Look at the Radio, the production company behind the critically acclaimed podcast by the same name.
Speaker 3: We need to take a quick break, but we'll be right back. Stay with us.
Speaker 1: We're back, all right, Danielle.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, and let's get ready for the weekend with a little What's in Your Cart presented by Walmart. This is our weekly segment where we have the opportunity to share a product that we are loving right now.
Speaker 3: You know, I love a good product wreck and I was just in New York for the weekend celebrating a friend's thirty fifth birthday. I got to see some of my besties from college and we ate at some really delicious restaurants.
Speaker 2: A weekend trip in the city sounds magical, and so many of our besties are traveling this weekend.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm always looking for ways to make it simple for me. That's the piece that incentivizes me to actually get away.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. You know, so I am mis efficient.
Speaker 3: I like to maximize my time, and I need the peace of mind that everything is in play. I don't want to forget my travel accessories, my makeup. Honestly, makeup is the thing that's hardest for me because if you miss out on one little product, it's not that easy to.
Speaker 4: Go run out and find it.
Speaker 1: So true.
Speaker 3: So that's why I love the Ever Fun travel makeup bag for women. It makes everything super organized, easy to find, and I know I don't have to worry whether or not it'll be an issue going through security. I can keep everything in one place, it's easy to grab when I pack, and it completely takes all the guesswork out of preparing for a trip.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is such a good wreck. You have me really curious. I might have to add this one to Kart to be honest. I don't always keep my travel accessories in the same place, and I feel like I could use something like this for my boys the next time we go on a trip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do it, Simon.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bestie's that's it for today's show. Thanks to our partners at Walmart.
Speaker 3: On Monday, we're celebrating the unsung women of the labor movement with host of the Womanica History podcast, Jenny Kaplan. Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese.
Speaker 2: Witherspoon, production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wenk and Christa Ripple. Our senior producers are Janice Yamoka, IT'SI kin Thania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ. Shahammatt.
Speaker 3: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 3: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner.
Speaker 2: This week's episodes were recorded by Josh Hook and Joel Morales. Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 1: I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 2: You can find me at Simone Boye on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 4: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's R B A Y.
Speaker 3: Have a great long weekend and we'll see you all on Monday. Keep looking on the bright side.