Speaker 1: This week on a Happy half Hour.
Speaker 2: The way this thing's set up, seeing them double up on pass rushers, seeing them double up on defensive tackles makes a lot of sense because that's where the biggest need is. I mean, even Dave Canalis said it yesterday. Stopping the run is the priority. Two hundred rushing yards a game allowed over the last nine games.
Speaker 3: That's the cow.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Happy Half Hour, presented by Southern Star, an official bourbon of the Carolina Panthers. Here are your hosts, Darren Gant and Cassidy Hill.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends, and welcome to a very special edition of the Happy Half Hour. Very special because we are, of course, at Combine in Indianapolis. Love indian Love Indianapolis. It's just like Charlotte, except with worse weather and better basketball. Other than that, everything about this place is awesome and we love it here.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's so much fun. It's what do people call it? NFL spring break?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: That makes it sound a little more debauchery than it really is.
Speaker 2: Although there's some debauching going on out there in them streets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what happens.
Speaker 2: And hateful gossip take over after midnight and uh, didn't someone.
Speaker 3: Get on to you yesterday for being self rightous?
Speaker 2: Yeah, condescending and self righteous because I didn't poison my mind, body, in spirit the way some of y'all did. Uh Not?
Speaker 3: I always having Bible study. I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, there's there's a lot of Bible study going on here this week. No, it is in all seriousness. This is the NFL's trade show. This is where everybody comes together. It's a convention. All the coaches, all the scouts, and all the players in this year's draft class are here right now. So it's a big old intelligence gathering operation. It's a big old, you know, festival of all things football. The on field workouts get all the attention later in the week. That's the better television as an inventory. But really the important stuff that happens here is the medical profiles that the players go through, and the meetings with teams.
Speaker 3: Between and between the meetings with teams for the prospects. I mean, you've got a free agency window opening here soon, and you've got teams figuring out their own free agency. This is kind of I mean, to quote Hamilton, this is the room where it happened pretty much all week, no doubt. A lot of what happens in the next Each football year is decided kind of in Indianapolis each year.
Speaker 2: And I will ride out at the top of this podcast address one of my pet peeves in life. Oh can't wait for when the players are up on podiums. They're on podiums, but behind electrons. Remember, but they are on a parium. They are on a podium. A podium is a thing you are upon. Electron is a thing you are behind. That's the easiest way to remember it. But when the players are up on the podiums, people will ask them. The reporters from all over the place are here, and reporters will say, have you met with the Lions today? Have you met with the Buccaneers today? If you're a first round prospect, you meet with everybody, right, So the process of elimination that occurs, Well, you had an informal meeting with the packers, but not a formal media What does it mean? It doesn't mean anything, and stop asking that question, reporters. My God and.
Speaker 3: Darren Dant's school of journalism.
Speaker 2: There is a saint among us, justin Rogers of the Detroit News is walking around this morning wearing a sweatshirt that says, have you talked to Team I cover? That's hilarious, It's amazing. I documented it on the Twitter earlier today. He is a god of journalism today and I salute him. But I mean it is silly because here's the secret. You know who, The Carolina Panthers are going to talk to a whole bunch of defensive players. That's who, because that's what they need the most. Because that's what Dan Morgan said they needed the most yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he wasn't shy about it. He didn't dance away from it. He said, you know, I think it's pretty obvious the defensive side of the ball is where we're gonna have to put a lot of our folks right in both free agency and the draft. And you know that was kind of the offense at this point last year. We saw them fill the holes. We saw the step that was taken by focusing on those areas, especially the offensive line. And you know, Dan said, you're gonna have to still win this league in the in the trenches, like on the lines, and the same way they addressed the offensive line that last year. That's what they're going to do the front seven this year. Luckily for them, this draft plays right into their hands. Sure, one of the deeper front seven classes I can remember in a.
Speaker 2: While, it really is. And when there's a lot of pass rushers and when there's a lot of interior defensive linemen, you know, that's going to get their attention through it. And I think there's a decent chance, you know, without getting too deep into draft strategy, that they're going to take a couple of them. You know, we'll see free agency is going to inform that, you know, once that starts in two weeks from today, I guess, yeah, two weeks from today. Free agency begins in earnest, you know, and even two days prior to that the negotiation period where we'll kind of know without knowing, that'll inform some of the draft plans. But the way this thing's set up, seeing them double up on pass rushers, seeing them double up on defensive tackles makes a lot of sense because that's where the biggest need is. I mean, even Dave Canalis said it yesterday, stopping the run is the priority. Well, yeah, you averaged two hundred yards a game, two hundred rushing yards a game allowed over the last nine games, and over two hundred rushing yards allowed in each of the last six. So yeah, of course that's a problem, and it's got to stop.
Speaker 3: The addressed I'm sorry. You've got to be able to stop the run to even rush the passer anyway. Yeah, those two things go hand in hand, their part and parcel together. Yep, you can't do one, You're not gonna for sure not going to be able to do the second. And that's why it's so vital to find these guys that can kind of shuffle around. I mean, you look at a guy like Jalen Walker, who can He's technically listed as a linebacker. I don't know what he is. I don't think he knows what he is either, But you've got you find guys like that that can kind of move around. I mean, you're not gonna put Jaalen Walker with a hand in the ground as a defensive tackle position, but you've got guys that can move around that front seven and that can help you both stop the run and rush the pass or because you've got to be able to do both of those things to win. I mean, the Eagles were a perfect blueprint for that this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the way to hancel. Like I didn't need to see the Eagles in the Super Bowl to know that we needed to do this. So yeah, as it pretends to Jalen Walker and his not being you know, well defined, because we've seen a recent example of a similar type of player. I mean it's kind of Frankie Luvu. And Frankie was the high energy guy who brought it from wherever he happened to be. He's standing up, he's coming off the edge, He's doing a lot of different things. You know, I think Walker's got a little bit of that in him. But we'll have time to get into the particulars of all these guys over the next month and a half, two months, you know, as we go through this process. But we were just walking that room this morning where they were doing interviews, and it's left and right, and you know, here's Michael Williams, Here's you know, here's James Peers from Charlotte's Chambers High you know a state. Stay tuned to Panthers dot com to read more about James later on today. A lot of them, Abdul Carter, all of them, Mike Green, it's an incredibly deep class, you know, and the chances of coming out of the eighth pick with one of them are decent. You know, we don't know who it's going to be, or that they're absolutely going to use a first round pick on that particular position. It just makes a lot of sense considering their need and wear this draft stacks.
Speaker 3: Up, and you can also, I don't want to get too deep into this because I don't want people to think this is what's going to happen. It's just something. Do you still consider they've got enough draft capital enter in a right spot and knowing the positions they need with the deep class to possibly still move around, no doubt. And we saw last year Dan Morgan is happy to move around if he feels like he's going to get a better deal. And so when you're sitting there at number and you're looking at how deep this past Rusher class is, Dan said on Tuesday that he had not necessarily had any conversations yet about giving up that spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if those conversations happened.
Speaker 2: And I feel like I should raise my hand and say the opinions of the Happy Half do not reflect those of Perasti only and do not reflect the opinions of Dan Morgan, Brandt Tillis or the rest of the Carolina Panthers front office. This is just us talking. But the other thing that makes you think they might do that, they have done that. I mean, if you look back to last year's draft and moving you know, out of thirty nine to get the second round pick this year, back then moving back up to take Jonathan Brooks. I mean, it's just they've shown that they're willing to go up and down the board, So I think it's reasonable to expect that could happen again this year when they're sitting there with nine total picks, eight in the first five rounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's a good spot to be in. You can kind of choose your own destiny, like choose your own ending. Do you ever play those games growing up a little bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like the book Aquaria. It was actually a little paperback book and you would flip from page forty eight to one sixty two. Yeah, you don't. Why did you go behind that door? It was a terrible idea at any rate. Now, we we spent a lot of yesterday with Dave Canalis and Dan Morgan and he obviously, as we said, Dan talked a lot about the defense. The other thing that stood out to me is how casually Dan talks about the offensive line and keeping it the way he has it right now. I mean, he just very casually said, yeah, we want to bring back Austin Corbett and k Mays to play center. And that was kind of an open question, you know, going into these last two weeks prior to free agency, but he very casually said, yeah, we want to keep both those guys. The question about Taylor Moten and his thirty one million dollar cap number came up, and he's like, yeah, we're good, we can handle that number. We want Taylor to be here. Somebody asked him about Ikey Akwanu and what do you do contractually with him? Knowing he's they've got to make a decision on a fifty year option. He said, we're going to try to extended before we get to that point, and it's just like very casually, very matter of fact, and that's just how Dan Morgan talks. But they know they've found something in that offensive line. It became part of the personality of the team last year enabled Bryce to flourish in the second half of the season, and they're going to make sure they hang on to that. They're going to make sure that strength stays strong.
Speaker 3: And you know, I guess this is the case with every position, every unit, but you really see it with the offensive line is how much that unit is predicated on chemistry. And if you don't have a left tackle and a left guard that know how the other moves, that's what leaves holes wide open to call sacks. Ye, and you've got a unit that knows each other, and that knows each other well enough that you know if someone gets hurt or someone else has to go in, they're still fine, right, and you don't break that up because that's I mean, again to Dan's point, that's where you can win or lose a game.
Speaker 2: No now, and it takes more than five of them. And that's why you know, he kind of mentioned Austin and Kate as a unit almost because Austin started first five games before he tears his bicips. Caid comes in, you know, brings him back off the Giants practice squad because there wasn't room for Cad Mays. And in September, that's how deep the Carolina Panthers offensive line was when's the last time we said that, right? And he ends up Caid ends up starting the last eight games of the year. So they've got a bunch of people who can play a lot of roles. Chandlers of Allahs stepped in and started a couple of games on both sides last year when guys were missing, So they've got a good group of people. Brady Christiansen's a free agent. I think the anticipation is Brady's gonna go look around and somebody's probably gonna find him starting caliber money to be a starting caliber player. I mean, he was sort of that sixth man last year. He's got great versatility. He could play left tackle, he started at guard before and was playing a decent center for a couple of weeks there in between, until you know, somebody else got hurt and he had to win. Icky got hurt, he had to kick back out the left tackle. So I think Brady might have played his way out of Charlotte in some senses, but they've talked about being open to bringing him back. That one's going to be when the market dictates, but it's gonna be a few of those. Yeah, there's gonna be a couple of those. So yeah, speaking of guys, Dan was amazingly.
Speaker 3: Awfully open about Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he he all but said, yeah, Johnny Hecker loved to have you back, kicker. Eddie's going to test the market and we're actively looking for a kicker, So I think you can kind of read between the lines on that one pretty easily. But you know, if there's going to be a new kicker in here and Johnny is back, then that new kicker comes in with the benefit of a veteran long snapper and JJ Janssen. Perhaps you saw cart Talk.
Speaker 3: I did. I saw and it was a nice little crossover episode with Ask the Old Guy. The highly anticipated cart Talk episode was how I Saw It Work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, highly anticipated couse we've been talking about doing this for two years and we just got around to it. But it was cool and uh, but having JJ and Johnny will be a good security zone for any new kicker who walks in, because not having to worry about to snap the hold makes his job easier. All he's got to do is kick JJ.
Speaker 3: And Johnny also just sounds like a great buddy cop movie.
Speaker 2: And that well it really is. Yeah, I mean they really are. They went in depth, and we we alluded to this on cart talk the other day, but I wrote about a thousand words section of a mail bag a couple of years ago about their process for determining coin flip decisions. And they would go out ninety minutes before kickoff and flip a snack waffle that they eat for energy before the game. That their brand has not paid us for this plug, so I will not describe it any further, but they would flip the snack waffle. If it landed tails, they would call tales. And they won six in a row that way.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was pretty impressive. But I said it was like a Paul Harvey bit the rest of the story. Yeah, is that a reference? You understand?
Speaker 3: And that's the rest you do?
Speaker 2: Good for you, hey, an old person reference that Castiy gets. I'm feeling better about this already. But yeah, they went through the whole thing. And you know, you wrote a story too about the anticipation a lot of people have about Wide Receiver being high on the shopping list this year. But Dave Canalis said, maybe not right.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're not necessarily in a position where it has to be. It's one of those where if there's a guy there that's great and you've got maybe some of your other stuff taken care of, then yeah, you I don't know if that's their first priority. It sounds like defense is going to be that first priority, no doubt. I mean again, if you're sitting there at eight and you've got a guy like I think it's the McMillan kid or maybe, but they don't have to have one. And I think people see that the Deontay Johnson trade as oh well, now there's a hole open for a number one receiver. And that's because you look at you know, Loget kind of went through some of those rookie growing pains. That's just part of it. Whatever happened his rookie year is only going to make him better his second year. You have a return of Adam Theling, which is huge.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think Dan called him old reliable yesterday, which I really want on a T shirt. I want it to look like a Yellowstone Old Faithful like poster, like an old travel poster, but instead of a park ranger, it's Adam Thielen.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, somebody, it would have to be a park ranger with a ball cap on backwards and a cup of coffee and maybe no shoes on. That's how Adam wanders around the stadium allent.
Speaker 3: But having feeling back that's huge. You know, Like I said, you're gonna see a lot of these guys kind of take a step forward. You got something for nothing out of Jayalen Cocher and you know, so that kind of takes care of a lot of stuff too. It's one of those again, you never want to turn down a dynamic wide receiver and Dan basically said that on Tuesday as well. You know, if there's a guy in free agency or a guy in the draft that we really like and it's available, then we're never going to say no to that. But it's not Yeah, you know, like you said, it's not the highest number on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those elite wide receivers that are out there going for twenty five and thirty million bucks a year, I don't think that's the market they're shopping in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, And this is also not a wide receiver year necessarily in the draft. You know, this is not one of those years where you're getting a Justin Jefferson and Jamar Chase and guys like that coming out, so you can afford to kind of say, Okay, that's going to be on the back burner of our priority right now.
Speaker 2: One of the interesting things to me about that whole position is we've come full circle because when Bryce Young was drafted, one of the talking points was, this guy's such a good distributor, he's so smart with the ball. He doesn't demand elite wide receiver talent around him, even though he had it at Alabama to be successful. And you know, at the end of the twenty twenty three season, a lot of people thought, well, yay does yeah, and so they trade for Deontae Johnson, and that looked okay for a minute in training camp, then not so much to beginning the regular season. Then Bryce gets benched and then by the time Bryce gets back in, Deontay's gone and he's out there throwing to and I say this with respect, Okay, all of these guys are professionals, but he's throwing to old Adam Thieling. He's throwing to old David Moore, who was a seventh round pick and at one point was the only drafted player they had on the field at that position. He's throwing to an undrafted rookie in Jalen Coker, and he's throwing to Xavier League in and out of the lineup with some injuries coming down the second half of the season. So Bryce was fulfilling that prophecy from twenty twenty three of he don't have to have that grade of guys to make an offense work. Now, will it help? And at some point in the evolution of an offense, would it be great to have one of those guys? Sure? I think specifically they need somebody who can run. They need somebody who can get down the field a little bit. You know. Ted Ginn was the example during the twenty ten Panthers teams of just straight line speed, go get it, fetch and sometimes Ted caught it. Sometimes he did and when he did it was a big play. And having somebody with that kind of straight line speed is absolutely in need. But I don't think you've got to spend thirty million bucks to get that kind of player.
Speaker 3: Right And you don't necessarily need it right now either, because I mean, as Bryce continues to evolve and kind of show what he can do, defenses are going to start playing him differently. I mean, did he face a two high safety look at any point this year really not consistently. That's gonna change over the next year or two, and that's when that need becomes a little bit more prevalent. But right now, what you need is a pass rusher. And so it's like, do you spend your pass rusher money on a wide receiver that's not your biggest need, right I don't think that's smart football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need a pass rusher. You need a Derek Brown size somebody to go with the Derek Brown size, somebody who's rehabit and working out back.
Speaker 3: At the stadium right now as we speak, so moving around, not on a scooter anymore, exactly.
Speaker 2: You know, I loved when dance Somebody asked Dan yesterday about Derek. He's like, how's he look He looks like, that's how Derek Brown looks. He looks big, breaking news. But anyway, it's, uh, it's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I always know the days that dB is in, which is a lot, yeah, all working out right now because he has a big alburn tag and he has a big truck and he parks right there in the front and I'm like, I guess when you're Derek Brown. You can kind of go where you want, no doubt, both in life and on the football field.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and like I said, they need to find him some friends, and I think they're going to So we will be here. You and I are going to be here the rest of the week. And I think our technical crew back here behind the cameras and behind the board. They're leaving in like five minutes, so I think they've got a plane to catch in a half hour. So they were good at it.
Speaker 3: He said, this has to be the happy half hour.
Speaker 2: Not a happy hour like the one we did with JJ Janssen when we're at Senior Bowl. But so we're going to get out of here. You and I will be here the rest of the week. Stay tuned to Panthers dot com for all the latest from the combine, and we'll see you when we get home.