Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our Bloomberg television and radio audiences worldwide. In Washington, d C, one of the central players in global AI infrastructure build out, is speaking to and about its most important and biggest customer, that is Dell and the United States federal government. Delighted to say that Dell Technologies Chairman and CEO Michael Dell joins us alongside the Department of Energy Under Secretary for Science doctor Dario O'Gill and Michael, A lot of the themes that you're trying to get across, and I don't know what conclusions you've reached in the last hour you with your colleague sat next to you, is that either government is getting it right in the United States or they're not in where they're allocating resource, where they're deploying policy to build critical national AI infrastructure. What are the conclusions you've reached today?
Speaker 3: You know, we're seeing in government a number of the projects advanced from the pilot phase to production phase. And certainly, you know Dario can speak to the ambitious initiatives, but you know we are you know, we have built a platform for open scalable systems to enable all the great sciences occurring in the national labs and beyond. Certainly we have a fabulous example in the down in a cluster that.
Speaker 4: We're beginning to deploy, and all this.
Speaker 3: Is about accelerating science, h scientific discovery and progress.
Speaker 4: And certainly you know that's that's a huge party.
Speaker 3: So great to be here with our largest customer, and you know we're very mission focused and making sure our solutions are enabling the mission wherever it occurs, whether that's in space, out in the field, and everywhere else does go.
Speaker 2: There are case studies, right we could talk, for example, about the progress you've made with any RSC. But zooming out for a moment, if you will, from the DOEES perspective, Why is AI infrastructure now such a core part of national security and energy security implications?
Speaker 1: Well, because we're in the midst of a computer revolution, and AIS have the heart of that revolution, and it is going to transform how science and engineering are practicing our nation. The Monday before Thanksgiving, President Trump sign an executive order to launch the Genesis Mission, and within that mission, we seek to harness this computer and revolution to double the productivity and impact of America's trillion dollars a year R and D ecosystem and science and engineering are the heart of our progress and capabilities in natural security, in discovery, science, in energy, in health, and the example of the partnership that we have with the Daltnes system in NURSK in one of our seventeen national laboratories exemplifies the power of using AI to accelerate science to go.
Speaker 2: Is Dell and mister Dell sent next to you delivering supercomputers to the timeline you'd expect.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of the So, for example, in that system that we're standing up, we already have an early access program where we stood up. The first generation of nodes of the Nvidia GPUs system is going to be operational for the science community mid twenty twenty seven. So I think one of the characteristics we're seeing right now is that we used to have supercomputing projects that would take a decade to build. Now we're building these things in two years, and that's a big, big change in terms.
Speaker 5: Of the velocity with which it's moving.
Speaker 4: One I thought that the government is doing is sorry to interrupt, there.
Speaker 5: No please let please change.
Speaker 3: Leveraging the integrated rack scalable systems that we're building for commercial and enterprise, and obviously there are enormous buildouts in AI data centers, as you're well aware.
Speaker 1: Ed, and so.
Speaker 3: Kind of again, leveraging that open, scalable architecture that we built will accelerate the government's progress in all of its AI infrastructure requirements.
Speaker 2: We're live on Bloomberg Television and on Bloomberg Radio around the world. We're speaking to Michael Dell and Department of Energy Under Secretary for Science, doctor Dario Gill. Michael, the Pentagon recently designated Anthropic as a potential supply chain risk. Your assessment of that decision and the scenario that's playing out there, please.
Speaker 3: You know, I try not to assess that decision. Uh you know, I think I think, you know, uh you know, we're we're we're kind of a foundational provider of the infrastructure. What I can say from our standpoint is, obviously we have various controls and systems to make sure we're selling to the right uh, you know, to to to the authorized users.
Speaker 4: But we you know, we I don't think.
Speaker 3: A company can dictate to a sovereign government what it does with its with its twins.
Speaker 4: I just don't think that's a workable model to go.
Speaker 2: I asked that question because right now, you know your department, every department has to balance what our national security concerns and interests with very real cyber threats to US infrastructure. How do you do that, you know, heat working with private enterprise American companies, but also achieve the goals that this administration wants to in this period.
Speaker 1: So look, I mean if specifically, if you look at cyber threats and the overall security posture on these technologies and being very aware that our adversaries do not, you know, wish as well, the way you approach it is to from day one build a culture and a technical architecture where cybersecurity and security overall are an integral.
Speaker 5: Part of everything that we're building, right from day one.
Speaker 1: So this is not something that is an afterthought where you're building an architecture or implementing these systems. And frankly, one of the things, for example, that we're seeing that as an evolution is that AI driven cyber attacks are increasing in its power and the only way we're going to be able to defend it is with AI driven cyber defenses. So, for example, categories like red.
Speaker 5: Teaming and blue teaming.
Speaker 1: What I am seeing now from our teams is that you're seeing those automated and you're seeing a red team and a blue blue team that is driven by AI agents attacking and defending each other and then informed that informs the overall sort of like cyber architecture that we've implemented. So this is one of the defining challenges in the deployment of technology, the overall cyber posture.
Speaker 2: Michael, that there's great demand to understand what's happening in global supply chains right now, particularly with you know, it's not necessarily delays in specific data centers, but shifting priorities where a data center needs to go first geographically, What are you seeing right now on particular bottlenecks or where you know, from a CAPEX deployment standpoint, the priority really.
Speaker 3: Is well, certainly, you know, as we've talked about in our latest earnings, the demand is ahead of the supply and the constraint are the ones that we all know about. It's memory, silicon, its advanced no semi characters, and power and the infrastructure to build out the power are those are definitely all constrained to one degree or another. The good news is we're responding to the challenge and we have an incredible supply.
Speaker 4: Chain and you know, we're we're.
Speaker 3: Able to provide an enormous amount of this to to our customers because we've got our arms around a lot of supply and a supply chain that that is globally distributed, resilient and works well, maybe even better when there are challenges.
Speaker 2: Under Secretary, you know, with the war in Iran, there is a focus on energy prices, on oil. Is there anything to extrapolate out from that longer term on your departments and this country's ability to secure energy supply for the data sense capacity that is being built.
Speaker 1: Energy is an absolute top priority for the administration, for President Trump, for Secretary right and energy is the other side of the coin of the AI competent revolution. So we need a world of more energy and more abundant energy and secure energy systems.
Speaker 5: But look, there is no way.
Speaker 1: For us to deliver on the ambitions that we have as a country for AI and for additional technologies and the reindustrialization of America without a growing energy and affordable energy supply. So this is an absolute top priority. And I give us an example. I mean we're talking about oil and gas, but also in the horizon is a renaissance of nuclear power that we're very driven. If you look at even beyond is our commitment, our investments, or is realizing fusion energy. We need need to invest across all the different horizons to realize the full potential of America.
Speaker 2: Dell CEO Michael Dell, alongside his biggest customer, the federal government as represented by the Department of Energies Under Secretary for Science doctor Dori O. Gill.
Speaker 5: Thank you for your time.