Speaker 1: I Am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh that's you.
Speaker 3: I Am All in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome back to another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with Myself, Tara and Suzanne.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Hello, Today we're talking about season two, episode seven, Like Mother Like Daughter, which aired on November thirteenth, two thousand and one. And this episode was definitely sponsored by Coca Cola. Yes, the amount of product placement in this episode, yeah, with three flavors of hans and soda. There was a diet coke and there was a Coca Cola.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I caught the Hansons and the Diet. I didn't see the regular coke.
Speaker 3: The regular coke is one of the girls sitting next to Rory when she's sitting at the table of the Puffs.
Speaker 1: Shea Rory has a Hansen. The girl next to her has a Coca Cola.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't even notice that. Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: But and then while we're at it, while I'm just talking about Hanson's in the shot where the scene where she's trying to get Paris included in the Puff's table, the cutaway shot, it's one flavor of Hansen, and then the other it's another flavor of Hansen. So when it's facing Paris, it's like it's like the green can, and when it's facing Rory, it's like the red.
Speaker 2: Oh how funny. I didn't even notice that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, oh my god, they just really needed this Hansons in there.
Speaker 1: You did you like Hanson's because I loved Hanson's.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we drank a lot of Hanson's.
Speaker 3: I feel like Hanson's was my obsession before my diet coke obsession.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: Then went down a rabbit hole of does hanson still exist? Because I was like, I don't, like, I had no idea Hanson's does not exist. It actually was discontinued, but I had no idea in twenty fifteen. So ten years ago they tried to bring it back, but the Hansen family sued Coca Cola for trying to bring it back with their names.
Speaker 1: So now it's officially gone.
Speaker 2: Oh really, I didn't even know it was a family. I thought it was just a made up name. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, well there you go. Well rip Hanson.
Speaker 2: That's kind of rude, like they should pay them for it, you know. I mean, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Hold on, it says I don't know how true this is, but it says Hansen's Natural Soda has been discontinued while still showing a website Coca Cola sees product of all products by Blue Sky and Hansen's Natural Soda. In two thousand and one, the Hansen's family sued Coca Cola, who owned the brand, for using their name without permission, and one as a result, Coca Cola slowly phasing out the brand and selling remaining stock.
Speaker 1: I don't think I want.
Speaker 3: I don't think I want sort of from like ten years ago, no, I there, Yeah, anyway, I just have to point that out as we start, because the amount of Coca Cola products was wild.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. Yeah, it's yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: I liked the episode though. That was a fun one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it's kind of a classic episode. It was. There was some cute Loreley Emily moments. You know they at first when they came out on the runway and Laurela I was, you know, kind of snotty, but then she enjoyed herself and they were having fun. It was cute. I thought it was a solid episode. Yeah, there were a lot of people in this episode went on to other things. I counted four people.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have two.
Speaker 2: Who do you have?
Speaker 3: So I have Brenda Strong, who was Mary Alice in Desperate Housewives, And then very specific to my generation, Madeleine Zema. She's actually co hosting with Scott this week. Cool and she is the very last scene when there's another student who sits across from Rory and reads a book.
Speaker 1: That's her for people who don't.
Speaker 3: Know, but I know her from one of the sisters in cinderella Story.
Speaker 1: Oh was Lary Duff.
Speaker 2: Wasn't she in the Nanny? Oh?
Speaker 1: My god? The little girl? Yeah? Was she?
Speaker 2: I think that was her?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, she was. She was.
Speaker 2: She was also one of the girls that was pledging, right, wasn't she in the puff scene?
Speaker 3: Yes? So she's in the puff scene, which is why then she sat next to Rory, because right before Rory and Paris walk into Headmaster's office, there's a girl just in the middle of them, just like giving Paris this weird look.
Speaker 2: That's her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she played Grace Sheffield on The Nanny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought about that.
Speaker 1: For me, I was like, that's the sister from Cinderella's story. Because I watched that movie like on every flight I ever take. It's my favorite.
Speaker 2: That's funny. So I noticed her, and I noticed I did notice Brenda Strong also, and wasn't she Now correct me if I'm wrong, I know people will not hesitate to do. So wasn't she also in Seinfeld? Wasn't she George's fiance that licked the envelope and died.
Speaker 3: I've never really watched Seinfeld, so I don't know. But according to IMDb, she played in four episodes, and she played Sue Ellen Man between Mary Alice and Sue Ellen, and she had a lot of characters with middle names.
Speaker 1: Sue Ellen, Mishki on Seinfeld. But I don't know who that is, unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't watch Seinfeld really religiously, but my mom always had it.
Speaker 1: That is a specific scene to remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, because she was it was like part of a storyline, and so I do, like I would occasionally sit and watch it with my mom. So I just kind of remembered that, I thought.
Speaker 1: And then the other ones were, Oh, Nicole Eggert.
Speaker 2: Yes, Nicole Eggert. So fun fact, I went to middle school with her, she really, yes, I was an eighth grader when she was a sixth grader, and so I didn't really I didn't know her, like I didn't have any classes with her or anything, but I remember, like because she was already on TV then in Various and so it was we just all kind of knew who she was.
Speaker 1: Where did you go to middle school?
Speaker 2: Uh? Sours Middle School in Huntington Beach, So fun fun fact there.
Speaker 1: And then she went on to do Baywatch. So Charles in Charge, Oh, oh my god, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then the fourth one was Lance Barber, who was the guy fixing the runway that Luke had to redo it after he left. He played the dad in Young Sheldon and he was Oh, he was in an episode of Big Bang Theory as Leonard's bully.
Speaker 3: So a lot of a lot of people, there was a lot to notice this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of stuff outside of our normal environment, Like there were only a couple scenes at their house, a couple scenes at at at Emily's house, but there was a lot of there was a lot of stuff at the school and and you know, many many scenes at the school and then the fashion in the in Yeah, so it was kind of fun. Got to see some some different things.
Speaker 1: No, no clown pillow.
Speaker 2: I didn't see the clown pillow. I was specifically looking for it in the scene where Rory was sitting on a couch waiting for her kidnappers.
Speaker 3: And yes, me too, But I did notice something else in the house when Rory comes back home and she said like to Laura La, like, oh, I was gonna wait for you after my class. It's right after she talked to the headmaster. I can't remember if we talked about this in the first round.
Speaker 1: But behind Rory.
Speaker 3: It's like in the corner of the kitchen is like, I think it's a cookie jar.
Speaker 1: That's like a grandma.
Speaker 2: Oh that yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like with sunglasses.
Speaker 2: Yes, I can't think of her name. What is that she's she's a character. I've seen her on like greeting cards and stuff. She's like a hallmark. I can't think of her name. Oh, I've seen her on greeting cards before.
Speaker 1: Does it pop up in other episodes of the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's it's usually over by the back door.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's by the back door, but it's behind Rory's shoulder in that scene.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's kind of just hanging out there in the kitchen. I've seen it in a I don't know if it was there the entire run or not, but I've seen it in other episodes.
Speaker 3: And then I noticed also when they're in the kitchen, it's behind LURLEI. They have like shelves of random stuff. Yes, and there's a box that says bread.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: It's just as bread.
Speaker 2: I was noticing all the staff of fabric.
Speaker 3: That was well, it's it's yeah, I noticed the fabric, and then above all the stacks of fabric, it's just a box that says bread.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's funny. I didn't notice that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well again a lot I noticed this episode.
Speaker 3: I was like stopping and googling things like the whole time because I couldn't think of I couldn't think.
Speaker 1: Of Brenda's real name or Madeleine's real name, and.
Speaker 3: So then I was like trying to be like, am I crazy or are they from the show, because I don't know if you watched Desper Housewives, did you a couple episodes here Gay as someone who was like die hard.
Speaker 1: She played Mary Alice.
Speaker 3: But Mary Alice is only in episode one because she gets murdered, but she is the narrator for the entire series.
Speaker 2: Oh really interesting.
Speaker 3: So her voice was like when I was hearing her talk, I was like, that's Mary.
Speaker 1: Alice is like ghosts speaking.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. That's cool.
Speaker 1: And we've had her on the podcast before. I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And she's really tall, Like she was taller than Lauren gre who is also tall. So random point. One thing, you know, this episode was pretty solid. I didn't see a ton of like inconsistencies or things like that. One thing I did notice, and this is so minor I thought about maybe not even mentioning it, but I'll put it out there anyways. Okay, the only thing I really saw was when Laura I was at the headmaster's office and they were talking about how thin her file was. There's a shot where the folder is closed in front of him, and then in the next when they cut back to him, you see him the folders open and you see him so totally minor.
Speaker 1: It's like, I mean, it's like, I wonder if they did pickups for that.
Speaker 3: And the scene with Paris about to sit at the puffs table, because same thing with the can of the Hansens like it was just not so they probably went back for a second day of pickups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they probably did.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: This is not really like inconsistency. I was just used by the choice. When they show up to the Gilmour's house and the housekeeper who opened the door is like, oh, like go outside to grill, and then they're outside and Emily's like, what are you doing outside?
Speaker 1: And I was like, but they were just told to go outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My husband commented on that too when he was watching it with me last night. He's like, she just told them to go outside. Why is she pissed that they're outside.
Speaker 3: I had to rewind it because I was like, did I make that up? And like, so they were like grillings to go outside, and I was like I kind of wanted grilled corn in that moment.
Speaker 2: I know, it looked good. And she called the guy that was standing there with the chef's hat and it was grilling and she called him popping fresh and just made me, you know, And I.
Speaker 3: Was just like, why is Emily like yelling at her to come in when they were unless the housekeeper just messed up, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, in Emily's in Emily's world. It's never Emily's fault, so.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, absolutely, it's always someone else's fault. One other thing I did notice is the scene where they were at Chilton having the Booster meeting and Laurelay walked in. She had she had a gray jacket, but it had like some kind of she had something white underneath it, and when she sits down in the chair, she puts the jacket over the chair next to her, and then in the various shots, sometimes you see the gray jacket and sometimes it's the white. I don't know if it was the lining of the jacket, like it was maybe turned inside out or something, but you could tell it took multiple takes because the jacket was always like in a different position each time they came back to Laura. I.
Speaker 3: You know, we're being nitpicky or we're talking about like the positioning.
Speaker 1: Of a jacket.
Speaker 2: I know we are.
Speaker 1: Really there was nothing else really wrong with the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they this one was super tight. They didn't make really any any mistake. I didn't see any any mics any.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, there, this wasn't a mistake or anything. I just again just pointing it out. There is a scene that Rory and Loreli are walking through stars Hollow and at one point there's leaves like flying, like falling on them, and I was just I was just picturing.
Speaker 1: I was like, I want to know who's just like throwing leaves?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it was very fall this episode actually, like, yeah, it was very leaf heavy.
Speaker 2: Any pumpkins there, like rolling around wheelbarrows full of pumpkins.
Speaker 1: And may it makes sense. It aired November thirteenth, so yeah.
Speaker 2: There's probably some guy up on a scaffolding throwing throwing leaves, like a big bowl of leaves.
Speaker 1: I was just I was like, I'd love to see the other angle of that shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because then at one point it stopped when they crossed the street.
Speaker 1: There was no more leaves. Yeah, it was just on one side of the street.
Speaker 2: It's just fall on this side of the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing I thought was cute. It wasn't a mistake, but it was just I don't know if it was like an acting choice by the actress that played Fancy, But I don't know if you noticed she was she had her train in front of her, but she was eating the other girl's fruit you had.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice of her, but she was eating.
Speaker 2: The other girls.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It was just I don't think it was a mistake. I think it was just a cute little like thing.
Speaker 3: Speaking of food, what was where we eating every day? It was like a piece of toast and salad.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't even look. I was busy looking at the disc man.
Speaker 1: Oh, you know I still have mine.
Speaker 2: I never had one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have all of my CD still.
Speaker 3: And when we were doing construction on my house earlier this year, I obviously had to like get rid of stuff, and I found my discman, and I kept it because I was like, I don't know why, I just feel like I need.
Speaker 1: To keep this.
Speaker 3: And I remember specifically like you had to like leave it somewhere. You couldn't really walk around with it because if it moved too much, the disc was right. So, you guys, I feel like i'maging myself right now. But like I remember, like one time I was like trying to listen to it, like working out or something when I was younger, or like.
Speaker 1: Doing an activity, and like it moved. If you moved it too much, it would just keep skipping. You'd like leave it. Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had one in my car that actually plugged into my cigarette lighter. They didn't even have cigarette lighters in cars anymore, but I had one in my car. I never I never walked around with it, but I had it in my car because but a.
Speaker 3: Walkman was considered the one with a cassette, right, that was original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that too.
Speaker 2: Those came out when I was in like middle school, so that was like eighties.
Speaker 1: Didn't Walkman also play the radio? Or is that incorrect? Oka? Yeah, it did. It also played the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is it called a walk disc Is that what this is actually called?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Disc Man? Sorry? Yeah, disc man?
Speaker 2: Because it was a Walkman that was your cassette and your radio player. And then when we all oban in cassette tapes, then.
Speaker 3: Of the scenes, Yeah, and then we went to the iPod, I know, then.
Speaker 2: We went to the MP three player. As Emily Gilmore keeps referring to it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's right. Yeah, we're in two thousand and one. I guess that that was the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was like when those devices first were first were coming out so wild and then one cad. I just wanted to mention because speaking of the disc Man, there's two different songs that I had to look up because Rory puts the headphones on and we hear the song that's playing. So the first one when the guidance counselor wanted to talk to her, that was a Shin's song. We know the Shins show up multiple times in Gilmore Girls, a song called No You're Onion. And then at the very end where she's sitting at the table and Madeleine Zema comes and sits down, that was a song called It's all Right Baby by Comita. I don't know if I'm saying that right or wrong. It's k O M E D A. So I never heard of it, and that was gosh. I don't really have anything else for this episode. I liked it.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it, just to call out.
Speaker 3: I loved the matching outfit for Laurelai and Emily, even though it was very Emily, and they just made Loreli the dress version.
Speaker 2: Right right they do. They looked very Saint John. I don't know if that was the brand or not, but Emily wore a lot of Saint John knits in the show and that was totally their style. And that is that's the outfit that Lorelai is wearing in the new Funko Pops that are coming out.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, she's got that dress on. Are they out yet?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: They come out this month. I think I've got a pre ordered mine.
Speaker 1: Do you have Funko Pops like other ones or no?
Speaker 2: I have the Laurele I from the first set and I have Yeah, I just have the Laurel I from the first set, and I also have Sadness from Inside Out.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have this?
Speaker 2: Is so me.
Speaker 3: I have a Harry Potter and then I have justin Timberlake.
Speaker 1: Those are the only two I have. You're right, it is. It's actually very cute.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's really cute. I pre ordered all four of them.
Speaker 3: But like, what a r for the twenty fifth anniversary? Why that one I would have picked? Like I would have picked her first day of Chilton outfit with.
Speaker 1: The gene shorts.
Speaker 2: Well that is?
Speaker 1: Oh you already have it? Is that already? You think?
Speaker 3: Oh? No? That okay, hold on wait have you seen the Scott twenty fifth anniversary one?
Speaker 1: Luke's is so cute?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Isn't that adorable?
Speaker 3: Luke is holding a little pot of coffee and he has an apron and a little towel on his shoulder and his backwards blue cap.
Speaker 2: They're all cute. And then there's a there's a Suki that's cute too, But I agree for the twenty fifth anniversary, that was kind of an odd outfit to pick, Like, if you're gonna do that one, then do an Emily also and they can have their little matching outfits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and then Rory's is from Logan's Society.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the Life and Death Brigade.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, she has the dress and the umbrella. That's fine.
Speaker 3: And then Sukis is the Like Sukis and Luke's are the best because it's exactly who they are. Sukis is her with a little bandan on her head, a little plate of what looks like probably cookies, and a little apron.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm glad they finally did a Luke since they didn't do a Luke the first time around. I was so I was happy to see that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, very cute all of our toys.
Speaker 3: Again, don't understand the choice of the dress, but okay, yeah, twenty fifth anniversary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have been fun if they had done an Emily and a Richard and then you could have put Emily like in her dress and they would be matching. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually would love an Emily and a Richard Funko pop eyed by.
Speaker 2: That would be fun.
Speaker 3: There is already a Rory one that's the Chilton outfit, and then it looks.
Speaker 2: Like there's a there's another Suki too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the new ones are cuter. Sorry, now we're going off on funk popsy. Everyone's gonna be googling it while we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that's all we have for today.
Speaker 3: The next episode will be watching a season two episode eight, The Ins and Outs of Inns.
Speaker 2: Another good episode, and with that, meeting adjourned.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com