Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: Hey. Earlier this year, Bloomberg reported out on how the pharmaceutical industry is using AI to speed up drug discovery, with companies including Eli, Lilly and Santa Fe striking licensing deals with AI companies. And yet, and this was earlier this year, AI has really shown some promise in the early stages of drug development. There is some caution though, as the FDA has never cleared an AI designed treatment, and some AI made treatments have failed in clinical trials. So, you know what, we're finding our way through this, And that's true when it comes to AI and how healthcare is delivered and how we interact with healthcare professionals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have these guardrails set up to prevent bad things from happening and slowly move through them.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the bureaucracy doing what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: The guardrails do matter. Hey, We're curious what our next guest has to say, because they just last week and as a partnership with the Gemini app to make a gentic healthcare appointment bookings a reality. Delighted to have back with us, doctor Oliver. Oliver, excuse me, Kiraz. He is the CEO and co founder of ZocDoc. It is a platform that connects patients with doctors and also provides telehealth. According to our producer Anna, it's the only way to find healthcare professionals, and he joins us in New York City, Doctor carraz good to have you here with Joe and myself. Ai tell us how it's impacting your world increasingly and also how patients communicate and interact with healthcare professionals.
Speaker 3: Thank you, caroleen good to be here. So, as you pointed out, ZocDoc is known as a destination side that makes it really easy to find in book doctors, and we've built the infrastructure that makes us possible over the last twenty years. What's new now is that we're opening up this infrastructure to third parties so we can power access to care everywhere patient search. As part of this, we just announced our partnership with Gemini to bring that seamless agentic appointment booking experience to the Gemini app. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Unpack that? So you're opening it up to third parties, so tell us how that changes the experience if I'm on your app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So if you're in our app, as you've always been able to do, you can say this is the kind of care I need, this is where I am, this is my insurance coverage, and we will immediately show you which doctors are available in your neighborhood that accept your insurance, and we show you the real time availability that you can then book with just a couple of clicks. So that's been sort of sect a classic if you want to. But what's true is that not everyone starts their care journey on zoctoc And for us, it's important that whichever front door patients choose, uh, they that this store actually opens and we're enabling this, you know, for everyone. So to the degree that a patient is using AI, they can tell the I use a ZocDoc or or just say here, I want a for example, gematologist near me that accepts my insurance, and then you'll see the options and you can go through an a genetic booking experience.
Speaker 2: I mean, can we can we go further into this discussion of people using AI for potential medical advice and needs and what ZocDoc is trying to do right, I mean, in some level speaking of the guardrails, like it feels like you guys are coming in here and saying that's all great, but you do still need a reliable platform to get you connected with these folks, like how are you guys? You know, day by day this is changing addressing this for your business.
Speaker 3: Model, Yeah, high level. The way that we look at it is that you know, AI can provide information to patients and a doctor is going to provide the care, and we are the connective tissue between those two things. We don't necessarily provide the AI, but when a patient gets engaged, gets very personalized information you know, from AI, and says, oh, I should take action on this, I should actually receive care. We make it very easy with just a couple of clicks or voice commands to then book an appointment and be seen in a short amount of time. And to the question, how does this fit in our business model? While we are in the business of making these connections, right, we make it really easy for the patient to find care when they need it, and we do that dramatically better than the classic you know, pick up the phone and down for doctor's experience. We're on average it takes a patient thirty one days to be seen on ZocDoc. The typical point happens within twenty four to seventy two hours, So an order of magnitude faster and that level of convenience can make a real difference to patients. You can keep them out of the emergency room, can get them to better care, and can get them to that care sooner before their conditions get worse.
Speaker 1: I am curious, though, how you track Chris listen doctor. Google love you alphabet and Google use it all the time, but I mean how much that often freaks somebody out, leads them to going to see a doctor that they don't really need to. And so we've all been there talking to your GGP and they're saying, get off of stop searching and just talk to me and listen to me. So I am just curious how you track that. You know, somebody searches on something and says, okay, I need to go see an E and T professional and then ultimately you guys can track on the platform that that's not what they needed. They needed something else. So I'm just curious how much of searching on something leads you to somebody that you're really a practitioner you don't need to see. And this is why people still say a gatekeeper is really important, a gatekeeper who really understand you and your physical and well being history.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So look, I think AI has become a starting point for patients seeking health information. But before I started Zoctoc, I trained as a physician many many years ago, and I remember still when people came in with the advice columns that they cut out of magazines, and then it was doctor Google, then was social media, NOWADAYI and I think the underlying pattern that patients are seeking help, they want to know what's going on that trying to get help to interpret the world, that stays the same. I think what we have seen sort of a gradual increase, is how specific and tailored that information feels and how engaging it is. And I think we can bemoan that maybe people are engaged in things that they shouldn't be. But you know, in general, when we talk to doctors that are seeing these pa they like that the patients are more engaged, you know that they care about their health because this is the thing they're like an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, and this gets patients, you know, to engage with the health because the threshold and the complexity of the information gets reduced. So we think this can very well function as a net benefit as long as it's clear that THEI sort of stays in its lane and provides information and the care is delivered by a doctor who then actually has the judgment as to what the right course of treatment will be.
Speaker 2: A more informed patient is better for a doctor. But at what point do they become too informed by the AI and it becomes problematic.
Speaker 3: Well see, I think this is interesting because when we talk to patients, they said, well, I do use AI, and I keep it secret from my doctor. And then when you ask the doctors to say, hey, I can tell I know when someone you know searts this up and be I welcome it. So my stipulation would be be just a lot more open with it. There is really not such a thing as having too much information. Now, not all the information might apply to you, and this is where a conversation with the provider can really help out. But you know, I would I would say that an informed patient is generally a better patient.
Speaker 1: Tell us in general about the platform, the growth, the users, the amount of activity you guys are seeing. Just curious. You guys have been around for a while, you know, talking in the newsroom, I think you guys started it. Gosh, how many years ago is it now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, nearly twenty years ago at this point. So that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and seven, right, two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and seven. Yeah, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: So tell yeah, No, I'm curious about the growth that you're seeing and the monetization that you continue to see. Give us an idea.
Speaker 3: We're Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: We like financials and growth and numbers.
Speaker 3: We at this point have more than two hundred thousand providers on the platform and that number has compounded with roughly fifty percent over the last few years. So we see rapid network growth, and you know, because of that scale, we're now in a position where we can partner with lots of you know, third parties that need that scale to function. Obviously, Google Gemini is something that announced last week, but before that, we announced the Blue Shield of California, the Department of Veteran Affairs through well Hive YELP Health Grade. So we are you know, working as this connective tissue and really the health access infrastructure you know, for the country. We make sure that every single front door took care opens, even though not every single search needs to start on zoctoc.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's amazing how far we I have, Yes, I have zuctoc and it just it used to be to find a new doctor, like you just had to ask a friend or co worker, I know, And now not only can you get a recommendation, but that can be located within your small neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Which is super helpful and useful. How do you rate doctors and like, how do you know, what's the transparency in terms of who can be on the platform or how do you pick and choose?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we actually, interestingly have the only closed loop review system that I know of in healthcare, where the only way that you can leave a review on a doctor on zoctoc is by having booked and seen that doctor through doctors falls. There's none of that leaving reviews on yourself or on your competitor, which is something that patients really rely on. And we have patients ranking doctors on a number of factors that are important to them, and we also have internal rights on you know doctors that that we can match to the patient you know, and and the specific criteria that they have mentioned looking for. So it's really something that goes way beyond just asking a co worker. I'll also point out that you know frequently you know, availability is one of the things that is critical, and I'll just give you sort of a taste for how different that is. The average time you know to get and see a doctor if you pick up the phone and dial for doctors is thirty one days. That's a month. On ZocDoc, you can see a doctor within twenty four to seventy two hours. And why is that possible? Because doctors have last minute cancelations, they have no every skal, they have the odd available appointment which you could never find if you had to call around. But on doctor, if they are all right there for you.
Speaker 1: For me to pick, that makes it. Yeah, that's that I understand efficiency and that that makes sense to me. Oliver, we have to run. Thank you so much. Good to check in with you. Oliver Kralz He is the CEO and co founder of Zachdac, joining us
Speaker 3: M