Speaker 1: I can say it now. It's not plan. But we go out in New York on Friday or Saturday night till two three o'clock in the morning. You'd leave and there's a line to get in. But you never had to worry about someone taking a picture unless you have one of those real cameras, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Calm Down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. Ladies and Gentlemen Get Excited. The Captain Derek Jeter is on the Calm Down podcast. Hold on, you got to see it like this, Derek Gita and he's our teammate. He's on the podcast. Very true, very true. We're going to talk parenting. This is Aaron and Derek Sporte.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Also we're going to talk starting out in TV since he's a member of our Fox family and we love that so much, and being a superstar before the social media era so interesting. You forget that there was a time without camera phones, which good for lucky. We were so lucky to get him. We were so lucky and excited. We've been sitting on this one for a while, So here you go. Oh and Derek, by the way, I know that you know us well enough to know that this is not a formal presentation. Welcome everybody to the Calm Down Podcast. There are very bayears, that's my intro. There are very few people that both women and men get really excited about. But our next guest is loved by everyone, ladies and gentlemen. In my best Pat McAfee clap, Welcome Derek Cheeter.
Speaker 1: Hi. First of all, how long have you guys been doing this?
Speaker 2: Three we started COVID right, yeah, for almost three hours.
Speaker 1: Three years. Three years for me to get an invite, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh plea, I couldn't even get an interview when you played, I mean not get off.
Speaker 3: It took you to be my teammate.
Speaker 1: That's not exactly true.
Speaker 2: I know you're always really good. I was thinking, Chris, so with your introduction. I've never heard one bad thing about Derek Jeter. There's just not many athletes you can say that about. There's not I haven't.
Speaker 1: You haven't been listening.
Speaker 2: Oh stop it, it's true, but it's so true.
Speaker 3: You are loved by everyone.
Speaker 2: Does that a lot of pressure to be one of the most likable individuals and most beloved athletes? Do you like feel some pressure that comes with.
Speaker 1: That, I have five people in this house. It will tell you something different.
Speaker 2: So I was actually gonna say that to you. I just got home from Buffalo. Flights canceled in the second quarter of the game. We're all scrambling to figure it out, delayed, freaking out. I'm like, it's the one time we get Derek Jeter and I'm gonna miss it. And I just got no offense to my husband and my son. But I was like, I got to get home for this. But as it get home, you know, you have a quick hour before you have to go to your next thing, and you want to squeeze in enough time with a kid you have four? Are you blown away about how fast the day goes when you look up back at the last hour. I cleaned his puke, I cleaned a diaper. I tried to get him down. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: Just your husband or your son.
Speaker 2: You've met my husband, Yeah, so good. But are you just like think about our days back in the I mean, yes, we love having kids, we love being married, but my god, I'm never going to have that life again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'll be I'll be honest with you. There's no way I could have had kids during my career. I just I couldn't have done it. I was way, way, way to selfish. It was all about my career. And you know one thing, great thing I said. I'm a little biased. I think I have the greatest parents in the world. But the one thing I can say about my parents is they were always present. And it's it's so hard when you have kids. I don't care if it's one kid. I have four kids. You want to be there and then when you miss a day or two, you come back and it's like they completely change. So I have man, we have four kids. Our oldest sticks, our youngest is seven months. And talk about how time lies. I mean, I just went to get my oldest girl's ears pierced, and I've been fighting the long time. I told her when she was eighteen years old, and I was almost in tears because you can't she's no longer a baby, you know what I mean. I waited till six, so it's time does definitely fly, But I tell you it's the greatest experience.
Speaker 2: Can we ask how it went with the ears? I mean, you've gone through injuries in life, but were you just feeling it all over when the needle went through, tell us.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean, well, first of all, let me preface this what it's not my fault.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So she sits down in the chair and she was freaking out. She doesn't like needles, she doesn't like getting shot, so she's freaking out. And the two people that were doing it because they do it both ears, but they're gonna have two people that are gonna do it both at once. So they say that they're just measuring. So I tell her, I, look, they're just measuring. I promise you could never eyes to you, have ever lied to you. And she's like, no, they're not going to do it. They're just going to measure. And then they bam. They pierced them both at the same time. And I had no idea and she looked at me like I just crushed her whole world. So I'm still working on getting over that and give my credibility back.
Speaker 2: Then, Oh, no, trust issues at six.
Speaker 3: This is a problem here, Yes, there's a problem.
Speaker 2: As someone who has those at forty one, it's going to be a long life. I can't believe that you have four under six. So give me your typical day in the Jeter household.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, one, I don't sleep anymore. When I played, I slept a lot. I don't sleep. I hear everything, even when there's nothing to hear. I think I hear babies crying and screaming. Yeah, so I get up early, you know, I go to sleep early. You know, our kids are pretty good. There's seven h seven, so when they get up there, when they go down at seven o'clock, I'm in bed by eight thirty. And as soon as I lay down, I'm gone. I'm fall asleep. But then I'm up at twelve, and I'm up at two, and I'm up at four, and then I'm really up by like five five thirty. But we get the big girls up and they get breakfast, and we get drop them off. We leave here at seven thirty to drop them off at school. And then our third just turned two, so she hasn't started school. She'll start in August. So then it's back with her and my son, who's still napping a little bit. You know, he's a couple of naps a day. But it's there's something always going on. It's all over the place. I don't know who's who for crying. I used to be able to identify the person from crying. Now, I have no idea, and I'd say the craziest thing for me is I have a younger sister, five years younger than me, and having three girls. The strangest thing is seeing a boy now grow with brothers. It's just very, very god I think I'm pretty good with girls. So I'm struggling in this department right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, hardest part with a boy because I have one too. I didn't grow up with boys either. I just cover them.
Speaker 3: She says, boys, not men.
Speaker 1: No you somewhere, but I let it go.
Speaker 3: I was waiting for it everywhere.
Speaker 1: I let it go. The hardest thing, it's still tough to tell because we're still figuring out his personality. He's very sweet, boy, smiling. He doesn't really cry much. But I said that about the other three and now all they do is scream and cry, and they're very emotional.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, that's what welcome to being. Yeah, you got you right here. I was going to say, can you decipher a disseminate what Hannah's cry?
Speaker 3: Is she in the corner crying all it?
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going to give you some advice. I'm gonna give you some advice, Okay, to my wife when when she's out of town and I have the kids, I never call her. My kids could be in the hospital. I'm not gonna call. I got it. I'm going to handle it. Love, We'll bother you. When I leave town, I get a phone call every thirty minutes, forty five minutes. This one's not listening. Now was not listening. I can't do it anymore. That's you.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yes, Hannah's a FaceTime because mine's a FaceTime and so he's like, what yes, And so I want to know his face when I'm saying this, like I'm a failure.
Speaker 3: Why is your face like that? Jared? Why is your face like that? Derek?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know. So I never call when I have a kids. I got it, no matter what.
Speaker 2: Okay. Best part about being a dad is fill in the blank.
Speaker 1: Seeing them grow and watching them learn. You know that that is the thing, because you know, just for me when when Mike, I say daughters because my son is too young now, but even my two year old, when they say please and thank you and they're polite and having manners, it makes me feel really proud, you know. So I love coming home and them. Learning new things, new words and vocabulary is better and they like to learn. So that's the best part.
Speaker 2: So sweet. I love that. I think I told you that with Greg Olson. I'm around his kids quite a bit, and they are so they walk in, they shake your hand, they say who they are, Nice to meet you. And I've I've heard through the grape vine at Fox your kids are lovely. Give me more advice. How do you get your kids to be lovely?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, I don't look. I'm not patting myself in the back yet. We go just they're very young.
Speaker 2: I heard they're very well behaved.
Speaker 1: Well, we we try. I mean, I wouldn't say, you know, all I can do is learn from what my parents taught me. I wouldn't say my parents were overly strict, but they were big on being respectful of people. And I think you know, when your parents, everyone wants to sit out and say, oh, my kids going to go to Harvard, my kids gonna go to You know, I don't care where my kids go to school. I want to raise good people. I think that's much more important than if whether or not I probably kick myself for staying this, whether they get all a's in school, right, you want them to get all a's, but I'd much rather than be good people. So that's our focus of it.
Speaker 2: Well, Derek, you are now one of our teammates at Fox, and we feel so lucky to have you on our team. We've you know, I was thinking about it yesterday when I was in studio. I have been there in that studio since two thousand and six, and it's been I've grown up in that place, and it has helped shape me and make me who I am. And you know, all these different paths that we take along the way, we end up, you know, back in a place that's home, and our teammates there, you know, Aaron's my best friend, like they become family. So for you in your short tenure at Fox, I know that you have such a great group that you work with. What have you learned about your new team at Fox?
Speaker 1: I would say, you know, people told me I remember talking to you guys before I actually even started, and everyone's saying how great they treat you a box and it's really truly like a family. I mean, it sort of sounds like a cliche, we're all families, we're on the same team, but literally I was I was, I don't say shot. I was pleasantly surprised at how well everyone gets along, how well they treat you, how well they support you, how well they want you to do, because you know, they view it as the better you are, the better we are as a team. And and you know, being an athlete, you know, my entire life, I enjoyed being a part of teams, you know, And that's how I truly feel at Fox and you guys are right. You said that from day one, and it's been a great experience for me. It's really been.
Speaker 2: We're dysfunctional, but that's part of being a family too.
Speaker 1: I was going to let you.
Speaker 2: Well, after our first event we did with you, we were all doing a tequila shot. So I mean that's where it was like welcome and.
Speaker 1: Really take.
Speaker 2: Up No, I just we were blown away. So I have to tell you a story. We haven't told you this yet. At Super Bowl last year in Arizona, there were rumblings and I kind of felt like one of my bosses wasn't being honest with me. When I you would come and you made an appearance, and I said he should work with us, Like why wouldn't he do this? But I was like, I get it. He may not want to be in front of the camera, but he was amazing. And then at Super Bowl, one of our bosses had said at a dinner at a function, we were all having a very good time, really close to landing Derek, and we were like, shut up, this is amazing. So then the next night we go to dinner. It's my husband, Chris's boyfriend, my husband's friend. We're all sitting there in my back was I guess towards the entrance and you walked out, and my husband's best friend said, I think Derek Jeter just.
Speaker 3: Walked out, and I said, shut up, he is coming.
Speaker 2: So I texted my boss, who was trying to keep it quiet, and I said, hey, I just saw the captain and he confirmed he's coming.
Speaker 3: So excited and he's like, damn it, why did he in the surprise? I'm calling his agent.
Speaker 2: I was like, gosh, yeah, it was awesome, but I say that right. Eventually recently, yeah, yeah, obviously when your doc was coming out, you had made an appearance on Instagram. I still remember your daughter is in the backseat. I could hear Hannah laughing saying, Dad, I want to go see also I want to go, and you're like, all right, we're going. We're trying to get to school. And I just kept saying to my husband, this is incredible because you don't see this part of him, you don't see this side of him. And then the doc comes out. I was gushing on this about it, and then you come to us and it's like, this is but I am so glad you made this move. I think we've discussed it with Kevin. We've discussed on this. Even if you're not a fan of baseball, to sit back and watch you guys on the set, it reminds me a lot of the TNT show. I haven't watched NBA, I haven't watched baseball year, but I want to hear what you have to say. Do you I mean, are you glad you did it? Well, you have to say you're glad because you're under contract.
Speaker 3: That question.
Speaker 1: Actually I wish I never agreed. No, I tell you, when I was first approached, I said absolutely not, absolutely not, because it just I never thought I never crossed my mind to do TV and cover sports and be an analyst. And then I had a chance. I went to the World Series. Not this most recent the year before because I was doing a small segment with Capital One at the desk and I saw how much fun they were having. I got a chance to go to the production meeting prior to and then they asked me, I would I like to do it? And I said, you know, as long as it can just be me. I mean everyone always says, oh, we're seeing the side of you that no one saw before, and A well, that's by design. Like my job and Aaron you know it, especially, my job was to limit distractions. My job was to be vanilla. My job was to limit headlines because that's what helped us form on the field. So it wasn't like I was trying to be someone else. I just wasn't trying to be a headline. And it doesn't mean you don't have opinions. It doesn't mean you don't have a perspective. And as long as they said to me, look be yourself, give you a perspective. And the way I look at it is I'm just giving an opinion. You may not agree with it, but it's not necessarily wrong. I can just tell you what my mindset was when I played, so in that sense, and then they said have fun and then I'm sitting next to David, so you don't have much fun anyway. So I'm happy. I had a great time doing it. I'm looking forward to this upcoming season as one.
Speaker 3: Okay, god you're coming back.
Speaker 2: Thank God. Because so you were at Remember Hannah Storm had asked you when you were doing your documentary, why now, like, why did you want to sit down and now tell your story? So why now did you decide to make that move into media? Was it because the Fox? I mean, we can say this, Aaron and I can say this because we've worked almost everywhere else that it is very unique that you can be yourself and they encourage that in all the things that you just mentioned. But why now was it the time for you to go and make that move?
Speaker 1: Well? I think, look, I when I first retired, I started a company called The Players, So it's not really the first time that I was in the so called media world. And I got destroyed when I started that people, Oh you didn't say anything, Now you're going to start a media platform, blah blah blah. I looked at it and ask, and I truly do believe The Tribune was a little bit and I say this homely but I think it was a little bit before its time, because it was really the first to do it. Where I understand that speaking with athletes, not only in baseball but other sports, as you guys do, that we're not two dimensionally. There's other interests, there's other beliefs, we have opinion, but if you don't necessarily trust the person that you're speaking with, you're just not going to share those things. So I wanted to get athletes a platform where they could talk about things that are important to them. I looked at it and as a compliment to mainstream media, because if someone speaking on something they believe in or they're excited about, it gives you a chance to have follow up questions, you know. So I thought it was a compliment to mainstream media, and so sort of have dabbled in the Players of You, which is still up and running and as strong as effort to this day. And then when I was in Miami with the team, I had my head down for five years every single day, so didn't really have a chance to do anything else other than that. And then when that ended, then I got a chance to People asked me to do some other things. In the documentary, I did because first of all, I didn't want to do it. To ask me a couple of times, I'm not doing it document it's so good, I'm not to do it. But then I said, well, I wanted to film the potential hopeful Hall of Fame call because my kids never saw me play. I'd want to share it with them. Then it turned into well, let me do the induction ceremony, and then COVID hit and then it was why don't we do a bigger story about your career? And they got me with it. If you don't do it, someone else is going to do it. And I was like, oh, but I said, if I did it, if there's any individual during my career that I had any so called friction with, give them an opportunity to tell their side. I don't want to be a puff piece, you know what I mean. So we let people say what they wanted to say.
Speaker 2: Derek, was it hard when you played in I think just knowing you now and I mean I had a chance to know you a little bit behind the scenes. But this has been an amazing experience with Fox At My husband and Greg Olsen. After we had that big dinner with you, sat there and after you left, talked about you the whole time. They just said, he's just a normal guy, and I was like, yeah, and so much fun and so funny. Was it hard to be so guarded in New York? I know that's the way you felt like you had to be and wanted to be. But you're hilarious and you have so much personality. Was it hard to be that way?
Speaker 1: I don't think no, because I think look, I grew up in New York. I was in New York when I was twenty years old, so I was parts of twenty seasons in New York, and I just wanted to draw the line with professional and personal. I didn't want to cross the line because you guys maybe heard me say it. Once the toothpastes out of the tube, you can't put it back in. I think once you share things certain things, people come to expect it, and I understand that, but I just didn't want to do it during my career because I felt as though it would be a distraction. So it really wasn't. We You know, we our old teams used to get this this label as we're so corporate and professional, we don't have fun. We go through the motion but when the media was not in there, we had a great time. And that's nothing against the media, we just wanted to limit those distractions.
Speaker 2: Well, this team of hiding hiding go into the clubhouse, nobody's around. Why do I have to go into this clubhouse? Nobody's here, The Yankees aren't. And then you can't even go on the grass and talk to these guys in batting practice unless you're called over.
Speaker 3: It was tough.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and you think about it now, think about your I mean, the social media world and everything has changed the landscape of privacy. Even if you want to be you know, teflon and you have a barricade around your house, they will find a way somehow. You know, I don't need to explain that to you. But when you think about for you, when you showed up in New York, your first you went a World Series four out of the first five years that you are in New York, that's insane and that spot and that pressure and thinking about the twenty years of being in New York and now being outside of it, do you even look back and think like, how did I navigate that? Or how was I able to navigate that? Because trying to do that in this day and age seem nearly impossible to live the life that you were able to live with as much anonymity as you could.
Speaker 1: You can. This changed everything. Yeah, there's everything, absolutely everything. You have to like used to tell young players when they came to New York, you have to assume that everything you do is public knowledge. You just have to make that assumption, which which in some set look, I'm not complaining.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm asking the question no, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: You have to make that assumption. In some sense, it's not completely fair because you know, I don't know everything about you. I'm not talking about you too, but I don't know everything about you. So therefore you shouldn't have that sense where you feel you have the right to know everything about me. Right. So I survived, I think in my career, especially the early years of my career, because there were no camera phones. I mean, we would go out in New York. I can say it now. It's not plan, but we go out in New York on Friday or Saturday night till two three o'clock in the morning. You'd lean and there's a line to get in. But you never had to worry about someone taking a picture unless you have one of those real cameras, you know what I mean. So, yeah, it's just a different time. I feel somewhat, I don't know if it sounds right, somewhat sorry for some of the younger players that are coming up now because this is but that's all they know.
Speaker 2: It's so true. All right. Hope you guys enjoyed Part one with Derek Jeter. What a gem And there's more where that came from. Next up, we will talk about These are just some of the things. We'll talk about. What his relationship is like with say It Aaron, Big Poppy. There he goes, she does it better than I do. So we'll talk about that, which is very interesting and reflecting on his final game at Yankee Stadium. I'm also going to say this. It's not in our bullet points, but I'll say it. He said, why did it take so long for him to be a guest on the podcast?
Speaker 3: Everybody listening to.
Speaker 2: That sponsors noted, and he talks about an awesome answer he has about overcoming failure is an awesome answer and good advice for anyone. Calm Down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.