Speaker 1: This episode is sponsible by game Time Ticket and App. The start of the NBA season is underway and you don't want to miss the hype atmosphere watching the basketball game live.
Speaker 2: Energy of the fans at the beginning of the season is incredible. And game Time has a new feature called game Time Picks that makes getting tickets to see your favorite teams play live even easier. And it filters out of the fluff to show you incredible deals on great seats so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets.
Speaker 1: I like using the game Time app when I want to attend a concert or comedy show. Game Time Ticket and App is the only ticketing app that gives you complete peace of mind with your purchase. I really like the all end pricing because it shows how much I'm going to have to pay.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the game Time app right now and it's easy to find different tickets and different price points. The NBA season is beginning and I know your favorite team is going to need your support.
Speaker 1: Take the guest work out of buying tickets with game Time Picks. Download the game Time app, creating account and use code green or twenty dollars off your first purchase terms apply again creating account and redeem code g R E E N for twenty dollars off. Download game time today. What time is it? Game time? Step for everybody? We bat this Raymond Greeny Show with My dog Baron Davis was good, my brother.
Speaker 3: First off Warriors two n O without Steph, and then the second game versus the Pails, You, my friend, stepped it up. You made three threes, three for five. You ended with a game high and a season high. Well, you ended with a season high fourteen points, five blocks, four rebounds.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Assist what? Five assists all around?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Vintage Dremond? What changing your approach for the game?
Speaker 1: I just wanted to come out more aggressive, man. You know, I felt like I started off aggressive last game. Took a couple of threes in the beginning of the game, and then I kind of let that aggressive is going. So I just wanted to make sure I come out with that mindset, knowing that they're not necessarily daring me to shoot, but you know it's there, and just raising up. And then also with Steph being out, the first good look you get on the possession maybe the best look you get on the possession, where as opposed to with Steph, the first good look you're in the possession is usually not the best look out the possession. And so just kind of changing that mindset. And then Zion got at me last night, you know, so you know he played well last night, so I wanted to come back and bounce back, you know, and have a great game and make sure we took care of home court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed like rhythm, really rhythm rhythm, right, And I like, I like the volume, you know what I mean, five for eleven, eleven shots, Like I think in this stretch, you just gotta like get shots up, you know what I mean, because you're gonna make shots.
Speaker 4: When you know you're going in the game.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm get you know my eleven twelve shots a game. Will try to get to the line three, four or five times a game, you know what I mean. Like once you like you in that mode, even when Steph come back, that's just man, that that that's that other that's that other dynamic again you feel what I'm saying. But the defense, bro, Defensive Player of the Year, come on, come on, make that case.
Speaker 1: That's my goal, man, you know, going into or just living through this offseason. Number One, to see my name out on the All Defensive team last year pissed me off. No I know I wasn't eligible because of the amount of games that I missed, but it pissed me off. And I want to to build on what I hope ultimately ends up being a Hall of Fame career. And you know, the more accolades you can stack up, the better. And so for me personally, that is a goal of mine coming into this year. You know, I've heard all the talk about check on the defensive end and will be on the defensive end. And I'm not taking nothing away from those guys. Those guys are special, but I know I can affect a defense in a different way than them. I'm not seven feet you know, So I have to use positioning and my brain to be great on the defensive end and a tenacity that I need to bring to the game in order to be great on the defensive end. So that is one of my goals this year, man, to get back in that Defensive Player of the Year race, get back on that All Defense first team, and just keep running that up.
Speaker 3: Locked in bro, I love it because that is that's the piece, that's the championship piece, you know what I mean, And like putting that goal in front like man's that's that winning piece. Man, I'm telling you, that's that championship piece for you guys, especially with the talent, with the depth you got, the versatility like you adopting that role and going after that and still being aggressive on the offensive end because you know, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds. The way you are, like your playmaking ability on offense and defense, I think you got to be thinking offense too, you know what I mean? Because defensive player the year, you also show that you know, I can score against.
Speaker 4: These dudes, or we can make their best defender look vulnerable.
Speaker 1: And that's the goal.
Speaker 4: You know, when you're going into these games, you know you want to.
Speaker 1: Make their best defensive player look vulnerable, because if you can make their best defensive player look vulnerable, everybody else is subject or whatever the hell happen, you know, So that's always got to be the goal for us. And you're right, I have to keep that same level aggression on both sides of the floor, which is gonna be a goal of mine. And it's a mindset thing, you know. So I just got to make sure I stay in that mindset. But I will.
Speaker 4: Uh you know, I found them better. I found out now.
Speaker 1: I found that love again this summer for competing goals set. They're reaching these goals. You know what I'm saying, like, you're thirteen. First, I'm looking at it like, man, I probably got a year left or two. You know what I'm saying that I'm out and now. And then I'm like, why are you looking at the game of basketball that way? Right? Lock in be as good as you can be. That's going to go to hold absolutely, And so that's where I'm at with it. Man, I'm locked. I got these goals that I said, we got these team goals, and I feel like I can reach all of them and we can reach all of them. So that's the goal. That's what was pushing me every day. Bro.
Speaker 4: I like that. Stay in the moment, Bro, I stay in the moment.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: We ain't thinking about none else with this moment. And this defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 5: Man DraftKings is offering one million a day in bonus bets for the first ten days of the NBA season. That's ten million in bonus bets. Here's how to shoot your shot. Opt in get a daily NBA profit Boost token. You pick a pregame NBA player prop to boost. If that player leaves the league that night in points, rebounds assists, you win a share of a million bucks in bonus bets. Just download the DraftKings sportsbook app. The code is Colin col i in to want a share of a million dollars in bonus bets. If your player is King of the Court only on DraftKings, the crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Before we move on, let people know what we're chopping it up about to day. Oh.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we're gonna discuss kaminga coming off the bench, interesting comments from the twenty twenty four number one draft pick and a coach who says fighting should come back to the NBA.
Speaker 1: Ooh, okay, with punishment. I done went through from fighting and missed me with that.
Speaker 3: At halftime a Tuesday's game against the Pelicans, you challenged the guys, what did you say that inspire the team to perform differently in the second half?
Speaker 1: Well, I just told them, you know, when we picked up our force on the defensive end, they started to look like a completely different team. And I reminded them last year when we played this team, this team was up twenty points on us, and we started to lock in, and once we locked in, once we locked in, we were down twenty points and we ended up winning the game about fifteen points. I reminded them of that, say, hey, here it is. We were down twenty points. We picked up our defensive intensity, We're up four. If we go back out of this locker room with that same defensive intensity that we started playing with in the second quarter, we'll win this game by twenty points. We felt a little shorter that we won the game by eighteen points, but you know, guys came out locked in and setting those challenges defensively. And although Zion had a big game, although b I had a big game, I think, if I'm not mistaken, they were the only two guys on the first night of the back to back in double digits and so shutting off everybody else water the way we did, you know, it allowed us to have a great defensive game and ultimately do what I challenged the guys, the dude coming out by a halftime.
Speaker 4: I had to happened, dude.
Speaker 3: And then before the first game against the Pelicans, it was announced by Sham that Kaminga was benched.
Speaker 1: Which was a complete overreaction by Yeah, I was gonna ask you that.
Speaker 3: Did you get a chance to talk to him and all that? But you know, especially with like how the media position, they're like, oh, kamingas benched, and you know, it's like this is what other dudes are getting. I feel like he you know, I feel like Kard liked to play with lineups anyway, but I think it was blown out of proportion.
Speaker 4: Can you list some insight on that.
Speaker 1: It was one hundred percent blown out of proportion, which is why you see JK enter the game the way he entered the game. He entered the game with his foot on the gas pedal, and he entered the game playing with a force that we need him to play with, a complete overreaction because the reality is the lineup chain was actually because stuff wasn't out there, and so with stuff not being out there, you need to add more shooting in different spots. And so as opposed to JK being there, we added Moses, We added Buddy because you need that shoot in the space the floor else they were just going to zone us which they tried something anyway, and they were just going to clog the paint. They was gonna make it hard for every body. And that is not a knock on JK. If anything, is probably a knock on me in trace, you know. But he approached it with the right mindset. He came off playing r The media tried to blow it up, as they always do, but that's what the lineup change was about. And ultimately it was a great call by Steve last two nights because not only did we find shooting, we found spacing, but it actually sparked JK. He had his best two games of the year.
Speaker 4: So I do agree. I do agree.
Speaker 3: He had a different He had a different kind of motivation and swag and you know, almost like I need him to have that chip on his shoulder the whole year. He feeled him saying like he like you said, he never let off the gas.
Speaker 1: JK. Puld just move on beyond to day to have yall looking like me yesterday when Zion spent on me basically having.
Speaker 4: Standing out of the bounce playing the ball up like JK.
Speaker 1: Here beyond with the left step he's stepped left, but put the ball right and be I wh Wayne left.
Speaker 4: He was at the rim laying the ball man. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: What I loved about that though, is like beyondesmen and All Star in this league, beyond is body tight, you know, prototype three like.
Speaker 4: Jk is And to me it looked like he took that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you put that move on beyond here.
Speaker 3: It's like, Yo, it was almost like I can do this too, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Exactly too.
Speaker 3: That says a lie bro, especially like you're going at You're going as somebody that is your prototype, you know what I mean. That's you know, oh, like you get a move off like that on a dude like b I, you know what I mean, in a game like that, like it it.
Speaker 4: Takes your confidence to the roof. You know what I'm saying, Who.
Speaker 1: Was the guy for you when you came in the league where you was young and you looking like, okay, if that's what y'all saying, is the guy I need to go out help because for me it was actually Blake. It was Blake and LaMarcus Archers where I'm coming in and they're like, yo, the's the top two power forwards in the league, and I'm like, oh, I'm locking them up like I'm at they net. Who is the guy for you like that? Because I saw that out of JK to that.
Speaker 4: I think for me it was Jason Kidd.
Speaker 3: You know, you got Jason Kidd, you had Maulberry, you got Steve Nash, Gary Payton when I first got in, and then the scary thing was everybody else, Rod Strickland, Nick Van Excell, Sam Casselle.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And then dudes in my class, Andre Miller, you know what I mean. But it was it was really like Jason Kidd was like he was that dude, you know what I mean, Ivor said Malberry. They were like the guards in the East, you know when I was coming up, and so it was like you have to go you have to go in and make your name, you know, against those dudes. So that was kind of like, you know, when I came into the league, that was my target.
Speaker 4: It was like, man, if I.
Speaker 3: Can get Jason Kidd respect, you know, and he gonna have to pay attention to me, like you know, I know I'm here, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That far that far? No, I definitely feel that man.
Speaker 3: And so you felt like it was blake for you and LaMarcus Aldridge.
Speaker 1: Like those were the two power for us that everybody was talking about was the best. And obviously you didn't, you had like z Bo. Yeah, you know when I came in the league, Timmy d was still in the league. He was aging, you know, he had a couple more years left. Dirk was still going. But you know they were on their back nine, you know what I'm saying. So the two younger guys that everybody was talking about was Blake and LaMarcus, and they was in our Blake's in our division, LaMarcus in our friends. We playing those guys, you know, four times a year every time we play them. And so at that time, you know, I got the moniker that I'm too small on me. You know, I got that tag on me that I'm too small. So every time I see these guys, I'm locked in them. Bite my bottom lip. I'm trying to go at these boys. And you know that's how ultimately you make your name in this league. You gotta go at the guys. That's the ones.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean, you got you want to be able to walk in the room and people know who you are and get and gain that respect.
Speaker 4: And It's almost better for dudes to like not really like you.
Speaker 1: M hm. You know what I'm saying exactly.
Speaker 3: See them ones, you know, it's like you walk in the room and they don't really like you, and you know why. It's like cause like, no, you ain't do what you were supposed to.
Speaker 4: You know when we.
Speaker 3: Locked up, right or our matchup, like I want to match up.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying exactly. That was my mindset, bro, when I came in. I came in talking crazy to everybody. I'm talking crazy to Bron, I'm talking crazy to KD and like Russ and awesome to see KD and Russ. They used to hate it, man, and they'll go actually crazy and talk back to you. And ultimately, you know, at first they start talking bad, like who are you? And then you start to gain they respect And I remember I was on the USA Select team and the respect that KT and Russ showed me Walker, I was like, ah, hey, I felt good. You know what I'm saying. Be it gave me confidence, Like, oh, they noticed me, they respect me. They they're speaking to me like you want that you want that that validation from the guys that you know, the guys, and like when they was giving me that validation, that's what made me feel like, Yo, I could keep taking this next step because these guys are starting to respect you.
Speaker 5: Does your favorite NBA player have what it takes to be crowned King of the Court? Find out at DraftKings sports book and official sports betting partner of the NBA. DraftKings is offering one million a day in bonus bets for the first ten days of the NBA season. That's ten million in bonus bets. Here's how to shoot your shot. Opt in get a daily NBA profit Boost token. You pick a pregame NBA player prop to boost. If that player leads the league that night in points, rebounds, assists, you win a share of a million bucks in bonus bets. Just download the DraftKings sportsbook app. The code is colin coli in to want a share of a million dollars in bonus bets if your player is King of the Court only on DraftKings, the crown is yours.
Speaker 6: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight ope and wy or text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casena when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuings. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dknng Don Coe slash b Ball.
Speaker 4: All right, so look, it's so first back to back of the season. How are you well?
Speaker 1: You've been sitting here with this dumb ass hot on waiting for me to get on because I'm hurting. I had I had to get a lot of treatment. I had to get treatment, then I had to lift, then I had to get treatment after the lyft.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's a big boy, man. He fast, he's strong. I tell people about Zion. He ain't just strong, he's yeah man, right, it's powerful force man, right, So taking them boss for two days here, row man. My back hurt, My my hips hurt.
Speaker 4: Bro trying to stay like that. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm hurting, brother, But know what, it was good to get that first back to back under my belt, you know, play well and get both games. You know, there's a confidence that comes with that, like you're playing that first back to back, especially you know as you get older in this league and to just to remind yourself, like, yo, I can still do that. You know what I'm saying, Like I can still do that at a high level. So you know, I felt. I feel good that I was able to play as well as I did in both games. But I'm happy we got the day off.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow is always great. But you know it usually like.
Speaker 3: On the on the second game of a back to back, for some strange reason, like you feel good, like you like, man, I don't like I felt better than I did the first game. Right, Yes, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I actually did you go out there? Because it's a mind thing as well, So you go out there, it's kind of like tiptoeing around. You kind of do something.
Speaker 4: You're like, ah, all right, I can do that.
Speaker 1: I mean tiptoe around. Yeah, all right, I can do that. Before you know, I'm like, all right, I got it, man, Like I got it the night I'm ready to go. It's very it's very weird like that because it happens that way sometimes, and then mentally, I think you just lock in differently knowing like you can't I can't let the back to back beat the difference.
Speaker 3: That's what's more. It's mental, right, I would say it's more. It's more like the mindset because you're almost like in a in a survival mode on the back to back, you know, a.
Speaker 1: Thousand let me get through it, let me get through it. And then you get to a point where you like, now let's go like I got it, like we could. But initially mentally you're like, man, I just got to get through this, like, and you calm down and you're looking at the clock. You're like, all right, one quarter down, right. Eventually, hopefully you reach that point where you forget it and you're just in the game, you know what I'm saying. And that happened to me tonight. First quarter. I was like, all right, I'm filling it out.
Speaker 4: Second quarter, I'm like, let's go time, I got it.
Speaker 3: I'm all right, Yeah, you feel coold, yeah, and it's almost like just a trusting up. Next you got a five game road trip, so no loan management for you. And so this got me thinking about how long the season is how long it's about to.
Speaker 4: Be for you? You know what I mean. You're in year thirteen.
Speaker 3: So before you go on this long five game road trip, I ordered you something from Amazon yesterday.
Speaker 1: My brother.
Speaker 4: That's this box for several but I got the right one for you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I need this right now. Come on like my backfield. I got you covered. You know what I mean, ain't on the load management.
Speaker 1: I need that right now. Oh man, I got you covered. You know what I'm saying. I appreciate that, my brother. Hey see, they go that experience kicking in. You know these old these old dudes ain't hot these when they was playing. Man, I appreciate you. Man. You know you know most old dudes like you would hatter not give me this because you want me to feel like y'all used to feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna be calling you unk in a minute.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be calling you. They call you big a.
Speaker 3: Once they start calling you big hommy, somebody gonna come in the league and be like, what's up, uh big Oh geez, somebody.
Speaker 1: Actually has called me uncle already. Bro.
Speaker 4: You got the young fellas come up to you.
Speaker 1: Like man, I watched you growing up. Bro, it's like, yo, what is this is crazy? I would tell you a funny story. So when j K first got here Kaminga, and like, one thing about Kaminga I learned is you have to earn like his trust, his respect, like he ain't coming in like yo, you did this, like you have to earn a relationship with him. And it's great. I respect it. When he first got here his rookie year, he would just walk past me and every time he walked past me, he would liaugh, he just start laughing, like every time he snicker he walked past me. Every time you look at me here walk past ja and Trive asks me. One day, my boy try try, said man, how's you in JK relationship? And I was like, well, you know, every time he see me lie and he's like, oh okay, that means he like you. I'm like, I said, now try the way it feels is he looking at me laughing like you old motherfucker? I said, try because when when when he see me the live? What the live give me is when you see an old play walking through the first thing you do, I said, that's the live he's giving me Like you we're you, oh you something you ain't dressed. Why you ain't doing this right? You ain't moved right, You ain't this I'm like, that's the live he giving me. It just happens overnight though, Like one year you're the young guy on the team and then the next year somebody come in and they're like, okay, O G I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, for real, it's crazy. It's sick.
Speaker 3: It's like everything you say, everything you do, it's funny to them, you know what I mean, Like, why are you so serious? Like, oh man, o, G see man, I gotta look out for my own G. You feel me?
Speaker 1: No, for sure, bro, I definitely appreciate this. I need it, you know what I'm saying. You get it. You get it on this road sitting on these planes, back to back games, traveling a lot. You know this is this is good. So I appreciate it. But speaking of the road trip, we got a five gamer coming up early fast, getting right into it. Got the Rockets. We got the Rockets, we got the Wizards, we got Boston, we got Cleveland, and we got OKC Rockets, young up and coming team. They starting to put it together. The Wizards won their last two games. You know, a team that most people was looking at it's gonna be the worst team in the league. Won their last two games, sitting at two and two, feeling good about themselves. Boston, we all know Boston. No surprises there. Cleveland five and oh first five and oh starts since twenty sixteen. Well, it's the significance of twenty sixteen is the dumb ass here for Cleveland is the significance of sixteen. And we don't care about that year. Deleted it from the record, but deleted from everything. Better stay first five in those are Kenny, my guy. Kenny got them rolling. And then okay See young you know young team. I wouldn't call them up a coming no more. They are here, they have a ride, playing really good basketball. Uh. They know who they are, they know who their top dogs are. They play good roles. Lindy Waters is a product of Okay See and I am thrilled that.
Speaker 4: How to play nice you know, how to play some basketball.
Speaker 1: He knows right player to make on both sides of the floor. He's an okay See product, you know. So yeah, there's gonna be some tough It's a tough road trip, a tough five game.
Speaker 4: Which one of them games you see it you get most excited about.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously I think this okay, see game because it's a conference game, Boston, uh, because you'll get to see I want to see, you know, early version of what y'all versus Boston look like, you know, without Steph.
Speaker 4: But the Wizards and the Rockets.
Speaker 3: Are the games I'm looking forward to because one, I like the Rockets, they like my little sleeper team. But the Wizards, you know, Jordan Pooh, Kyle kuz right, Hey, don hey, bro, my bros. They are unpredictable, but they you already know they're gonna be up for that game now that golden same Wizards game. Like people don't think about it, but that's that's going up.
Speaker 4: No, they're gonna be up for for sure.
Speaker 1: You know. Both of those guys are some gunslingers. Hey, don they coming out gunning. I think jp averaging like twenty two and eight right now, shooting forty five percent from the three.
Speaker 4: So you wus got off to.
Speaker 1: A bad start, but last game he got going and so you know those teams, those are natural letdown games. However, we're having a guy like Jpeter who's been here, you know, you know he gonna come out going at us, So hopefully that'll have guys alert and ready to go. But it's a natural like down game for sure. Nonetheless, it's such a tough road trip that the ones you're supposed to win, you gotta win. You gotta win us. And so that's one that we're supposed to win. We got to make sure we take care of business. But you know, it'll be a really big game for them, and we got to make sure that we approach it with that same mindset.
Speaker 3: Like in this fire Game road trip, Like, are there any other games that you look forward too?
Speaker 4: Like you're like, man, who, I can't wait till we get there.
Speaker 1: So for me, some of these games you get like nostalgia, Like for the same time we go back to Houston, it just always take you back to the moments that we was playing j H and Trav and CP and Dwhite and Capella Eric Gordon, Like it takes you back to those moments, you know what I'm saying, Like you walk in there and it's like, oh, man, like I remember you know how to win in here too, absolutely, and so it takes you back there. The Wizards. Wizards is always a tough game, but like I said, hopefully that gets herself of that Boston.
Speaker 4: That's a rematch of the finals a.
Speaker 1: Couple of years ago. That's the defense champ. Everybody want to play against the defending champ. So you know that's that's it. Cleveland, another one one in that building, you know what I'm saying. So every time you walk in there, you feel like, man, I own this building. But now they back, you know what I'm saying. They're playing good basketball. Kenny got them guys rolling, and so that's that's gonna that's what that is.
Speaker 4: And then okay, see is the same thing.
Speaker 1: Like we had some battles in that arena, they back, you know what I'm saying, them young guys rolling, They ready to take it to us.
Speaker 4: And so it's a tough, tough road trip. Man.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, if we can come out of this road trip strong, yeah watch out.
Speaker 3: Yeah don't look Yeah yeah I can, Yeah, I can grab grab a couple of these wins. Uh whoa, that's gonna put you on it in it just in a whole different swag.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. This is one of those road trips that come early in the season where you gonna play great and then you start looking like, all right, we're serious.
Speaker 4: Yeah we could beat anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You start to have a certain level of confidence where you're like all right, like say no fluke, like we can for real put this together. So I like this roachterrip for us, Like I said, that's coming fast, came up fast on.
Speaker 4: The But I like where we're at, and I like, you know.
Speaker 1: This, this is an opportunity for us.
Speaker 3: I always say that earlier the better too, because it gives you a chance to like do some team bonding. Right to be stuck in the city together, go eat, you know, have a day off. You know what I'm saying, let your guard down somewhere else where you're not just where you're not going home right, Like you're in the hotel, everybody there, Okay, what we're doing.
Speaker 4: We're going to dinner. You know.
Speaker 3: It give you a chance to kind of, uh, you know, build that camaraderie.
Speaker 4: Is there anything like you.
Speaker 3: Like to do on like big road trips with the team or you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So we always try to make sure we get together at least in one of the cities. You know what I'm saying, a five game road trip, you probably want to get together in two of the cities, but.
Speaker 4: Get together at least once we do dinner.
Speaker 1: We kick it in. The good thing about our organization is we play for the best organization in the league, and so we have these team dinners when we on the road, you know what I'm saying, where like you can bring ten.
Speaker 4: People, fifteen people, twenty people like it don't matter.
Speaker 1: And that's something great that Joe Lacup and Peter Goober allows, you know, our staff to do. They provide these dinners, and you figure these dinners ain't they ain't cheap Like we go to great restaurants. We don't be at like some rinky dig restaurants. We'll be at the best of the best restaurant. And so that always allow for team bonding. You know, sometimes it's a DJ there. You know what I'm saying, We be kicking it and so that stuff is good, you know what I'm saying. Doing stuff like that, you know what I'm saying, it's always always great. And then you get on the road, you know what I'm saying, Your family ain't there and different things like that, and so you're able to lock in and focus and be in the moment, to be present with those guys.
Speaker 4: And it's just us. You know what I'm saying. We actually say that in the huddle.
Speaker 1: It's just us. And so you know that road trips like this are always good, you know, And like you said, especially with it coming early in the season for us, you get a chance to continue or you get to continue to get to know the guys you're with even better. So it's good. It's interesting though, these road trips for us now they're not as long as they used to be. You know, when you was playing. I know when you was playing, y'all have long road seats. Now came in the league. We had a sixteen day road trip my first year, sixteen day. You got any cool road trip stories? Like how was y'all road trips? I used to hear these stories. I mean when you come into the league, you know, you see we all saw loving basketball. I love loving basketball. And what he's say. You know, you walk into a hotel lobby and there's fifty girls waiting man hotel lobby man. You know, there's twenty girls that make it pass security on your man bonus.
Speaker 4: One is standing rightsh your door and young in the league.
Speaker 1: I was looking for that and I never saw that the John how big of a donut and a zero.
Speaker 3: Hey bro, Hey bro, I thought the same damn thing. I was watching the movies. I was like, Okay, we're about to get off the get off the bus is about.
Speaker 4: To be fans groupies with rock stars.
Speaker 3: No. It was like twelve thirty in the morning. There was nobody out there for some autograph people.
Speaker 4: It was like, hey, bro, this is this is bullshit.
Speaker 3: The next city it is like, nope, the next city, like we getting there early, maybe shit changed, Nope, nope. Okay, bro, that is the that was the biggest. That's the biggest myth. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I'm like, for sure, it's about to be chicksing lobby where we.
Speaker 3: Are nobody, thirsty, scouring around and locking broody nobody, bro room services, watch a movie.
Speaker 4: The Slip and go to sleep.
Speaker 3: This is it ain't nobody around and you like it. Come on, Bill, you and uh buddy Pontiac Detroit.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. You're at Milwaukee in Indiana. You know what I'm saying. What you're not going to do, though it is disrespect going to play the pistols.
Speaker 4: Know I'm saying. You stay in Pontiac you're not standing.
Speaker 3: Used to stay in Birmingham. Birmingham the Towns which is an amazing hotel, nice little village, go to the movies, go to the little restaurant. They gotta couple of spots you can go to Townsends.
Speaker 1: Was great, great, very great. Sleep all day is snowing. Leo's Cody and the block away.
Speaker 3: Hey dog, you you remember e rob Eddie Robinson. Yeah, obsolute, So yeah, that's my dog.
Speaker 4: Uh Eddie Robinson.
Speaker 3: He when we was in Detroit, he had this VD right and when he was a rookie, he had like it was like a morole van on like gold Daytons. You feel what I'm saying, Like, you know, like I was like, man, that's shit hard. So look bro, we.
Speaker 1: Get you to him. You're the private problem.
Speaker 3: Now that shit was you know, that was like back in the day you had your gold your gold ribs. But he had like the like the camper van, like I don't know, like you know, like he was one of the first dudes with like the stage not a state coach, but whatever that ship was, it was a van, but it was roomy, you know, bucket seats all that ship.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, hey, brouh.
Speaker 3: He was like, yo, you can use the car. You can use the car. I was like, man, I want to go to the mall. Let me use your car, go to the marrow. I want to catch a caw. He was like, man, you can you can use a car. You can't make no left turn?
Speaker 1: What brother? What he said?
Speaker 3: The left turn was bro I said, may get that ship to me anyway. I was hitting right, bro, I was hitting like twelve rights.
Speaker 1: Hey I was.
Speaker 3: I was scared of ship. Crazy, Hey do, I was scared of ship. I was scared of shit in Detroit. I was flying. Man, you cannot make it. You could not make a left turn.
Speaker 1: The fact that you actually decided to still draw that car. I sadness for real, for for.
Speaker 3: Flagrant, flagrant, And the ship didn't turn like if you tried to turn it left. That ship wasn't fuck it and make another right turn.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 4: Shut out to.
Speaker 3: One of the best athletes I ever played with, Rob That was my dog lose rookies together.
Speaker 4: I never forget that ship though her.
Speaker 1: Speaking of athletes were moving, let's move around this league a little bit. We must have a conversation about the number one pick in the twenty twenty fourth Drive, Zachrister Sure talks about his situation during training cap and he says, I and I quote back here, friends, I was super athletic and now I'm just a regular dude. Uh if you.
Speaker 4: Are let.
Speaker 1: Alarm? Is that this man already think he regularly? He's a number one pick five games in? He said, I'm just a regular dude. How alarm in is? No?
Speaker 3: That is ring their alarm? Bro, sound the sirens. That is that's a major alarm.
Speaker 1: Red alary, red flat? What are you even if you believe that? Brother can say that? Bro Anthony Rich said, if you are tired and you took yourself off because you're tired, say I felt tight right here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a little knickknack or something.
Speaker 1: What do you if you need that?
Speaker 3: Lie?
Speaker 1: Because that, to me just shows a love of confidence that you don't have a level of dog that you don't have.
Speaker 4: You ain't gonna persevere out of it.
Speaker 1: Exactly, so you're gonna be a regular dude. And quite frankly, if I'm being honest with you, being a regular dude as the number one pick in the NBA ain't okay.
Speaker 4: You can't be regular. Nobody gonna let you be regular.
Speaker 1: So my man, you better figure out how to stand out and you better do it fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's just bro, it's just a testament to like, you see these kids and they play against competition, and the competition that they play against maybe a little older or less athletic. And so you know, when you're young, you feel like, man, I'm you know, I'm a superhero. And then when you get to that level, right, you know, it's people like Jonathan Kaminga, you know what I mean, people like uh.
Speaker 4: My boy, sharp shade and sharp you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You looking at the dudes like and then you got Jalen Johnson on your team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you got damn yeah, you like damn like.
Speaker 3: But it shouldn't be about just y'all athletic yr athleticism. And you should never say you regular. You never want to be regular. Bro, You didn't come here regular. He wasn't the number.
Speaker 4: If you figured out that you was regular, like.
Speaker 3: Man, you should say, hey, man, I want to uh reset in my contract.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, Send me back to friends, send.
Speaker 3: Me back to France. Bro, we can't be doing no regular shit. What is regular?
Speaker 1: Regular? Dude. What is regular? That don't even make sense? Right?
Speaker 3: I ain't never met, really, I ain't never met an NBA dude that thought that he was a regular dude. Even the dudes who don't don't play like, they don't think they like.
Speaker 4: It's your confidence, is everything? Bro?
Speaker 1: Regularly?
Speaker 4: Regular don't exist.
Speaker 1: Regular? Somebody called me regular, I take such a.
Speaker 4: Fist, I'll be trying to whoop the ass and this man, I'm just a regular dude over here. Or maybe maybe he meant it in a different way.
Speaker 1: I don't know. No, he meant exactly what he said. If all these Twitter fingers out here you see how different the NBA is now, so shut up, you'll need to shut up.
Speaker 4: Shut the hell up.
Speaker 3: Joe Missoula express his desire for the NBA to allow more fighting, similar to other sports. He stated, the biggest thing we rob people of from an entertainment standpoint is that you can't fight anymore. I wish we could bring back fighting. He told this to NBC Sports Boston. Is he tripping or.
Speaker 1: Is he right? I mean, one thing I would say to Joe Mazula is fighting. How you out of this league? Brother? For real?
Speaker 3: So basketball is a gentleman's game. By the way, I always say.
Speaker 1: I get what Joe's trying to get at it. More so what he's saying is the intensity, Yeah, and you know the ship talking. Yeah, like guys getting testy, Like we take so much of that out of the game today, and so I think that's what he's getting at, like actually physical fights. Joe, I'm here to petition against you and say no, we're not doing that because where that almost led me. My man, I don't want none of that. I'm cool if y'all can have to fight, and Joe, I'm gonna lead that to Joe, Joe, you gonna fight.
Speaker 3: I think I think I think what he meant was, you know, allowing people to tussle, allowing people to push, you know what I mean, bringing the fight back into the game right where people are pissed off. You know, you got some files, you got some rivalries, because right now it's like when you look at rivalries, it's like, all right, who's gonna make the most threes?
Speaker 1: And like a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Johin right, But like, can we allow dudes to lock up fact not necessarily fight, because I don't think basketball, you know, basketball is a gentleman's game, you know what I mean. And so you got etiquettes and shit like that, and you know, it's just certain rules and codes to where you ain't trying to hurt nobody, take nobody out. You look like a you know, like a maniac or whatnot. But there's also like an emotional capacity that if you allow you know, dudes to like get they emotions out, you know what I mean, it'll create definitely more entertainment, more more emotion, you know what I mean, and more intensity in the game.
Speaker 4: No, I agree with you one hundred percent. Man.
Speaker 1: I think it will definitely bring a level of intensity to the game that we don't see. I also think a lot of these guys that be talking don't really be about that. And we stop a lot of guys from.
Speaker 4: From talking out they talk bing out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I get some of it. I get what he's saying on some fronts of it, but it ain't happening. Joe, Smoking Joe, you better take your ass back to the box, Smoking Joe. They was about to have me out here.
Speaker 3: For rial over some light, over some light right over a cores light that was super light.
Speaker 4: Chat versus Winby.
Speaker 3: This could be a huge rivalry, but in their first match of the season, Wemby only has six points versus the Thunder. He's shooting forty two percent from the field and twenty two percent from the three. Why do you think he is having such a tough start to the season.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, Number one, when you come back from off that first summer, everybody's been watching you. Uh yeah, you know, defenses are prepared. It's not the first time everybody's seeing you. There's game plans that's built to stop you, and so you have to adjust to that. And I think Winby's just going through what most of us go through where he has to make those adjustments. I think what he'll start to learn is, you know we're shooting twenty two percent for three, is some of them can take his back and you know, start picking and choosing his spots on when he takes some of those shots that he'd be taking. Yeah, you got the ultimately ultimate green light, but there's still the responsibility that comes with down the type of shots that you get in, which will ultimately help him get back to playing like the player that we know. He can't spot games, ain't nobody's pressing the panic button, but you know, this is starting to grow into a rivalry with him and shit, and to come out of have six points, lose the game by double digits, it's disappointed Check. I think Check finished with like nineteen and eight or something like that, So you know, Check got the best of them this game. It's just one game.
Speaker 4: It's not the end of the world.
Speaker 1: But you know, Winby's going to have to figure out what teams are doing differently to him than they've done last year and make those adjustments. And you know, with his skill level and his talent level there's zeroed out, right, he will figure it out to make those adjustments. But you know, credit to Check. He came out ready to go won this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Winby also like sometimes you think it's sweet in the second half of the season because you're starting to find your way, you know what I mean, and like rhythm and flow, and then you're coming into the next season thinking like, oh, you know, it's gonna be as sweet as it was last season. But to your point, people are prepared for you, right, there's a different level of intensity, right, and everybody is fighting for it and not like, oh, we don't care we play San Antonio. You know, what I mean, let us be cool, like everybody laughing and joking towards the end of the season if you ain't really in the playoffs or not. But at the beginning of the season the intensity is high. So he got to figure out how to make adjustments in the game.
Speaker 4: Not his game, but like, can you get some tip bins?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Can you can you get to the free throw line?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Can you get on the office of Glasgow some putbacks?
Speaker 3: You know, he gotta learn to have a better all around feel for the game, especially when everybody gonna be focused on him.
Speaker 4: And then is he a little tired?
Speaker 1: You know? He played a full euro league season, yep, went straight into the NBA Draft, training for the NBA Draft, NBA Draft, Summer league, rookie season, Olympics, NBA season.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, European model, you know, you and the Europeans they they all, you know, play summer basketball pretty much every year, and so that's just what it's gonna be. So not making excuses. Check check out the better of him today.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 1: But h you know, I expect Whendn'ty to get it going. I think, you know, he will. But that's why you see a lot of guys go through that's what we call a sophomore slum because it's gonna be a little different than it was for you that rookie year.
Speaker 4: So love to see it before we get out of here.
Speaker 1: Man, get at me at Buckets Underscore twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Rudy Gay recently retired, Baron.
Speaker 1: You played against the man Dremond, You played with him as a teammate. How special was Rudy as a player. Do you guys have any stories about Rudy Gay.
Speaker 4: Rudy Gay, Rudy Congratulations, my bro, that's every time I see it, my saying Rudy.
Speaker 3: Man, I would say, you're talking about phenomenal talent, you know, somebody who was a bucket.
Speaker 4: Thing for him, Like as.
Speaker 3: The amount of talent he had, he became like just a great teammate, and he was like the epitome of like being this ultra talent and then becoming like this great talent on a good team and a good team player, you know what I mean. And off the court, you know that's my dog, mister fashion, you know, cool, you know, uh, just a solid dude, you know, just always embraced me, embraced my family, you know, always tapped in and so you know, I got big love for Rudy. Congratulations on retirement, bro. Uh you know, welcome to the welcome to the good life.
Speaker 4: And I respect that man. Like you said, congrats to Rudy.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a chance to spend a little bit of time with him last camp. You know, he came into camp with us. I was actually hoping he made the team. You know, when you get on some of these teams, especially as young as we were last year, you'd be looking for somebody to hang with. You know what I'm saying. I'm like, I kinking Rudy, you know what I'm saying, A great dude, and uh, you know, just having an opportunity to play against Rudy, especially in his prime, man, he was special. Man. He was real. Take you off to dribble, get to the MIDI shoot the three. Rudy Gate couldn't do anything on the basketball court that you needed or want it to be done. And you know, like you said, just a special talent for him to go to the situations that he ultimately ended up going to after he left kind of Memphis in Toronto, and take on the rose that he was willing to take on just shows you the type of team player that he was, the type of guy that he is, not, a guy that's all hung up on himself. Can see the bigger picture. And I'm happy. You know, he had a great career. I'm happy to see him retiring under his terms, moving on to his next thing in life. Wishing Rudy well man's job well, my brother, eighteen lots a lot, a lot of years. Man. We can only hope to make it eighteen years. So job well done, my friend. Enjoy retirement well deserved. Much love. We appreciate you, Rudy, my dog.
Speaker 4: We love you, Rudy Man.
Speaker 1: And for those of you.
Speaker 4: That has tuned into this episode.
Speaker 1: Of The Draymond Green Show with none other than the one and only B. D. Baron Davis, we appreciate y'all. If you haven't already, please subscribe. By the way, before we go, I'm sorry. Tell them why you got that dumb ass thing on your head?
Speaker 4: Lost dose. I'm happy we can't hear you clap. Let's go, Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Bout out wire we westward bound. Bout out to them Dodgers. That's greater than you. Y'all have a great weekend. The volume