Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Getty and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: FEMA officials say they have already distributed three hundred and forty four million dollars worth of assistance to victims of Hurricane Helene in six states. FEMA has also shifted more than seventeen million meals and nearly fourteen million liters of water to the disaster area. As a result, FEMA is plowing through its disaster relief budget and the Small Business Administration could run out of money for low interest home rebuilding loans by the end of the month.
Speaker 2: Well, we're glad we're talking to somebody who's on the ground in those areas, because it's hard to tell from national stories how hurricane relief is actually going talking about the first big Hurricane Helene and specifically North Carolina, and.
Speaker 1: I think the attention being paid to what the federal government is doing is fine and good, and they certainly have a role, But as anybody who's lived through this sort of thing knows, it's the state and then local entities that provide a tremendous amount of the humanitarian relief and the assistance when times are dark, which is why we're helping to raise money for the good folks at the United Way of Ashville and Buncom County, and their president CEO, Dan Leroy, joins us.
Speaker 2: Now, Dan, how are you, sir.
Speaker 4: I'm doing all right. Thanks for having me today.
Speaker 2: Busier than heck, I'm sure. Yeah. How are things in your area at this point?
Speaker 5: Well, things are still pretty crazy, still pretty dire. You know, this hurricane hit us so much harder.
Speaker 4: Than we ever could have imagined.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure your listeners have seen all of the images and it is just as bad as folks have seen it. It has just wiped out in structure across our region and certainly here in Buncom County, from the smaller towns like Swananoa, Barnardsville, Black Mountain. We're just so hard hit that in many cases, you know, whole neighborhoods are gone and having to be rebuilt. And so the good news is a lot of our infrastructure is starting to come back. A lot of folks have power now, Dell service is pretty ubiquitous, which was not the case even a week ago, and so that helps a lot with communication. But in our county specifically, the biggest problem that we have is water. The municipal water system was basically wiped out, and we have what I would describe as a heroic effort not just by our public Worse Department, but by you know, partners from across the Southeast that have come into support and rebuilding this because it's so critical for our business community, it's critical for our schools, and you know, you can't do anything without running water. So that's the biggest issue for us right now.
Speaker 2: So before we get into some of the relief stuff, Joe and I worked in North Carolina for a couple of years, and I I was foot loose and fancy free and single and childless. So I did a lot of travel on North Carolina, spent a lot of time in the Ashville area, really really enjoyed it. But did was he even on your mind most of you around there that this hurricane was going to be a big deal? At what point did you realize holy crap?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I'll tell you.
Speaker 5: One of the things that we have thought about ourselves and talked to other folks about.
Speaker 4: Ourselves here in western North Carolina.
Speaker 5: Is just how resilient this area is and and sort of the kinds of natural disasters that were used to thinking about, whether it's the you know, the big fires that they have out west, or you know, the huge hurricanes that you see on the coastlines, or even the you know, the tornadoes that.
Speaker 4: You see in the Midwest.
Speaker 5: We've been pretty well insulated from all of that for a long time. And so this storm was truly unique in that we got thirteen inches of rain that you know that two days before the hurricane even came this way. Wow, in a single day, right, And so it was a very unusual weather pattern that basically soaked every we had. We had flooding, you know, like you wouldn't see for you know, in the last decade before the hurricane hit.
Speaker 4: Oh, and so that was really what made it so unique.
Speaker 5: And so no, we were not I don't think anyone could have imagined the level of impact here because it's such an unusual weather.
Speaker 2: Event and then a quick one before we move on, how long were we all without self service? So all this happens, it wasn't even on your mind all of a sudden, things are just devastated homes are gone and roads are covered, and wondering how long were you without self service? You couldn't even talk to anybody.
Speaker 5: Well, it's you know, to sort of answer your first question from before, I think it was probably Tuesday that the Tuesday before the hurricane hit on Friday morning, essentially where folks were starting to kind of look around at the radar and say, okay, this could be a big problem.
Speaker 4: And so, you know, and to just give you an idea, I was actually.
Speaker 5: At a conference in Salt Lake City, so I was not on the ground. So I had information that nobody in our community, and certainly none of my colleagues or teammates or partners had because they couldn't talk to each other really for.
Speaker 4: About two days.
Speaker 5: If you were a part of, you know, some kind of emergency response operations, they were able to stand up in different places, access to self service and Wi Fi and those kinds of things. But for the first couple of days, I couldn't even talk to my family who was in town to make sure that the folks here in our house and everything else was okay. So it was pretty much like in the dark for most people within the affected region for about forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: Wow, and then you're talking about the catastrophic damage to the water treatment system. It could be weeks before there's running water correct or even longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And it's not the treatment system, it's the distribution system, Okay.
Speaker 4: And so they have, like I said, they have been able.
Speaker 5: To get the main line inter reconnected, which is pretty incredible, but there's a lot of time that it's going to take to actually work through the entire system. They say that the linear feat of our water system here is the equivalent of the distance between here and Miami and back. So you can imagine it's a lot of line that needs to be cleared out.
Speaker 4: And so they aren't giving us estimates. But you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: We do a lot of work in partnership with our schools, and you know, we we have schools that are drilling wells right now in their ball field because they want to make sure not just for this getting water back, but in the future because obviously it's everything. So we don't have a clear estimate for when it could be back, but it's.
Speaker 4: Definitely in the order of weeks and not in newer of days.
Speaker 1: So for what it's worth for folks, who haven't been there, you know. And I spent a week in Ashville slash Waynesville this past July. I have family there, and I love the area. It's not only beautiful geographically, but it's just so interesting because you have, you know, conservative retirees and kind of your traditional we've lived in the mountains for generations conservatism. You've got tattooed and pierced waitresses and artists and just the most amazing mix of people in that area. And it's fun and funky, and it's very very American, and it's just the devastation is astounding. So anyway, if folks listening get a chance, if you can spare a couple of bucks or more, go to Armstrong you getty dot com. The banner is you can't miss it. Donate what you can to help out to your fellow Americans, and.
Speaker 2: It's going directly to you. What can that money do for you? If we can get our listeners to throw a couple of bucks your way and you get a pile of money, what can you do with that short term?
Speaker 4: Sure thing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I just want to echo what you just said in terms of the incredible diversity of our communities here, and what's been so beautiful to watch is the way that you know, those barriers have been broken down and we have people just working together, Neighbors helping neighbors, the organizations, community organizations helping you know, whoever's out there in their community without regard to any of that affiliation. So that's been beautiful. Our focus really is right now. We are recruiting thousands of volunteers and working with our community organization partners to identify where are the volunteers most needed and being able to connect those volunteers to those organizations doing the work on the ground. We also have created a disaster relief fund which will go to these community organizations who are directly impacted by the hurricane itself and the other thing that we're doing that this would support us that we're working really closely with our partners at the City of Asheville and Buncott County to help coordinate the thousands of tons of supplies that are coming into our region through these donations and to make sure that they are have a safe place to go to be sorted, and then to get out the door to our community partners who are most proximate to the neighborhoods and the folks that were most impacted by the storm.
Speaker 1: Dan Leroy of the United Way of Ashville, Buncome County, you guys are doing what is so sorely needed when it's most needed, and you're all heroes. Keep at it. We'll see what we can raise for y'all and good luck. We're thinking of you.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for shinning a spotlight on this. It's going to be a need for a really long time, so all the support that we can get from your listeners is very much appreciated.
Speaker 1: Excellent point, you got it. Thanks Dan, great to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to be a problem for a while obviously, and they'll run out of money quick if they don't have a big parliament. And if you're the sort of person listening to the show, you probably believe in local, small, over giant far away, and this is a way to get money, like to the source or where they're actually you know, the people getting the money or their families are dealing with this as opposed to bureaucrats somewhere far away who lives are comfortable and they don't really care right exactly. This goes directly to the need, and the number of news pieces I've seen on how many people's insurance doesn't cover this for all kinds of different complicated reasons, like, well, you had flood insurance, but flood insurance caused by a river rising, not by a hurricane, so sorry, it doesn't count, or you just all kinds of different caveats.
Speaker 1: Oh right, and then you got to get into the lawyers. Well it rained thirteen inches two days before. Well we think it was the hurricane. So it's a nightmare. But before you even get there, the roads are gone. It's not that they're flooded, gone, the bridges are gone, the water distribution system doesn't.
Speaker 2: Work, and what for weeks?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's like civilization, modernity was blotted out for a huge swath of you know, one of our most populated states.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as I saw one guy say, the houses are gone, but so's the land the houses used to sit on, so that you can't build a house there again. Sohi, what does insurance do for.
Speaker 1: Replacing your house that you would have to get somewhere else or bring in two hundred truckloads a dirt time? I have no idea, no anyway, give what Ken Armstrong e getty dot com.
Speaker 2: Heading into a big sports weekend. I don't know if you've picked your higher or lower for Prize Picks yet, but you definitely should jump on that right away. It's not nearest time consuming is being part of some sort of fantasy league, which I know a lot of you like. If you want to get involved in this sort of thing, you can do it quick and be real, real nimble on these. This is a way to go. Price picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's America's number one daily fantasy sports app over five million active members. The easiest and most exciting way to play daily fantasy sports is Prize Picks. It's just you against the numbers, not millions of people nationwide. All you do is pick more or less on two players or up to six players, stat projections, and watch the winnings roll in. You don't even have to be perfect. Thanks to flexplay from Prize Picks, you can still cash out even if one of your picks doesn't it.
Speaker 2: And speaking of cashing out, first of all, it's all kinds of safe and secure. They did a good job on that, and you can get your money in as quick as fifteen minutes, so that's pretty awesome. Download the Prize Picks app today.
Speaker 1: Use the code Armstrong to get fifty bucks instantly when you play five dollars. That's the code Armstrong on Prize Picks to get fifty dollars when you just play five. You don't need to win, It's guaranteed. It's a bonus Prize Picks. Run your game Strong.
Speaker 2: So we got a little Tim Walls coming up for you. Is on ABC, what's their show, Good Morning America talking to the former football player Michael Strahan, who hits him with some questions, and Tim Wallas goes back into his I don't know why he hasn't come up with an answer yet for all of his stories, but.
Speaker 1: It's astonishing that he hasn't. That's what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I just watch it. It's better than it was during the debate, but it's still not as good as it should be anyway. Also on the topic of the campaign, but slightly different, Kamala Harris is doing her media blitz this week, which accornered a lot of my favorite pundits who talk to people behind the scenes, including Democrats. They're worried that she's doing all softball friendly interviews. Still playing it safe and making no news's in. She's either tied or behind, and you gotta be making some news. You gotta be on offense. You got to be moving the ball down the field. Just getting out of an interview without screwing up is not going.
Speaker 1: To do it. I'd argue, she's not even doing that. She's missing the softballs. She's with him anyway.
Speaker 2: Howard Stern, which used to be a scary place for anybody to go to get interviewed because he was all about making news by being naughty, gave her a heck of a softball interview the other day. I mean, just as obsequious and fawning as you could possibly get.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 2: Guttfeld was talking about that on his show on Fox the other night, and here's how that went. I mean, talk about a transition.
Speaker 6: On Tuesday, he conducted an interview with Kamala Harris that was so simpering and feminine. I got my period while listening to it. You should hear what keeps him up at night.
Speaker 7: This is what keeps me up night. I don't understand how, my fellow Americans, I don't even understand how this election is close. Yes, I'm voting for you, but I would also vote for that wall over there.
Speaker 2: Well, he's half right. We do need a wall.
Speaker 6: You had to keep out gang members, Fendyl dealers, human traffickers, and Anna and Navarro. Stern has become such a whissified sick of a fan. He doesn't realize that telling Kamala that he votes for a wall is telling her that he knows she's as dumb as.
Speaker 2: One not to mention.
Speaker 6: Trump is the wall candidate, not cackles McNee pads. Oh, used to throw boloney slices at stripper's butt with accuracy, I might add, cackles McNee pads.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's kind of rough. I like these sipprings so much estrogen I got my period. Oh my god. Anyway, he goes on, here's Stern.
Speaker 6: On anyone daring to poke a little fun at Kamala.
Speaker 7: Even when I watched them on Saturday Night Live with the where they have Maya Rudolph playing you, I hate it. I don't want you being made fun of. Oh my god, it's too much at stake. I believe the entire future of this country right now, I mean as America, Land of the Free, Home of the brave. I think it's literally on the line.
Speaker 6: So a guy who's supposed to be funny for a living now claims her candidacy.
Speaker 2: Is too important to joke about.
Speaker 6: This is the guy who once joked, right after the column by massacre that the killers should have raped the students before killing them. Not that I like that, Stern, But this pendulum swing from saying the most tasteless thing in the universe to putting your balls in a tic tac container, you gotta wonder.
Speaker 2: What's going on here.
Speaker 6: It's striking that the king of the most misogynistic humor ever now turns into a breathless over a progressive, hopelessly shallow candidate.
Speaker 2: How about freaking Howard Stern of all people saying it really bothers me when they make jokes about you. They shouldn't do that. It's too important. You don't want jokes about politicians. Wow, the worshipfulness of it. Wow, humor, humor is off limits for politicians on my side. From Howard Stern who used to think obviously, as you just heard there, nothing was out of bounds for humor. Nothing right, right, It's an interesting aspect of Trump derangement syndrome that you get how would I phrase this? You get cipher.
Speaker 1: That's the kind of fancy word idiot worshipfulness syndrome. If something is not or not Trump, I must love it. If it is against Trump, I love it, which explains keeping the kids out of school and the plastic screen at the seven eleven, and anything that defies Trump, I love automatically.
Speaker 2: I just I love it.
Speaker 1: She's an idiot, she has no beliefs, but she's not Trump, so I love her.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: A gut film made a good point. Stern saying I'd vote for that wall over there is not exactly a ringing endorsement. It's a you could be anybody and I would vote for you, right exactly, Yeah, you could.
Speaker 1: You could be I don't know, talentless, have no principles, a half wit word salad spout, chippering moron, and I would still vote for you.
Speaker 2: Wow. I hope I never become that person. I watched Maya Rudolph and I just think they shouldn't be joking about this. It's too serious.
Speaker 8: Wowis So there's a couple of low points in my life. I'm not I'm passing a line, and I'm gonna have a grand slam. The grand slams are the key I feel like at my theater checking the AA there or an institute of some sort, because this is crap.
Speaker 2: It's full of crap. This is crap. It's full of crap. There's an unhappy Philly fan by being knocked out by the Mets, who are moving on to the Championship Series against either the Dodgers or the Padres. Will find that out later today. She says the loss was worse than her dog time. Wow, well the dog was old.
Speaker 1: The Phillies were supposed to go on exactly anyway, and they Yeah, I'm a Royals fan. So the Yankees beat the Royals last night, and they're gonna be She got the Yankees and the Mets both in the Championship Series kill me in terms of national media coverage. Hmm, yeah, that will be profoundly annoying. On the other coast, I was explaining to a friend of mine from Elseware about why California is so screwed up, and it's politically speaking, and it's it's primarily because the Democratic Party has entered into this unwholly corrupt marriage with all of the public employee unions, and the government serves only to do the bidding of the unions and they throw the people a bone now and again just to to you know, cover up the scam. But the unions nominate the politicians who get elected with the votes and contributions of the unions, and then the politicians who are former union officials then give the unions anything they want until they're turned out, and then a new union guy takes the government post. And my great fear, because I've always been an optimist about the United States and our people and our system is that. And you know, our old friend Tom McClintock, the Conservative rep from California, always said, you know, we've we've run into all sorts of problems in this country, and what's great about it will fix them. My problem is this that now they have enough bulk of the union two way straight thing, the feedback loop, whatever you want to call it, the population at large, unless they get like crazy fired up, don't really have the numbers to turn out well, at least in terms of the usual turnout numbers. That just not enough regular people who just want a healthy, functioning government turnout. So election after election goes to the union owned Democratic Party anyway, that's a.
Speaker 2: That's definitely the government you deserve, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Although they're they're smart people, I mean, they're utterly corrupt, and they're they're treasonous to me, they are betraying their their most sacred vowels. But they are smart, and so they limit the tax paying pool as much as they can. So the people who really really care that their money is being squandered and given away in this unholy marriage, they are way too few in number to win an election. So anyway, it's a scam that is so efficient and so morally bankrupt, I'm not sure how to beat it. Anyway, So I'm pretty discouraged about the state of California, especially and the state I happened to grow up in Illinois, because Illinois politics, because of the population, is Chicago politics, and what's happening in Chicago is crazy, makes California look reasonable. So the mayor, Brandon Johnson, who was a union official, a Chicago teachers Union official, and the teachers union, because that has many, many thousands of employees and a hell of a lot of money, got him elected mayor. So now his only job is to reward the Chicago Teachers Union, and so he's.
Speaker 2: In the middle. The city's in the middle of.
Speaker 1: Quote unquote negotiating what is likely to be a costly new contract with the CTU, which is Johnson's largest campaign contributor. Since the Chicago School District can't afford the hefty races and benefits that CTU demands, the mayor has suggested, get this, that the Chicago Public Schools take out a three hundred million dollar short term high interest loan to cover the shortfall.
Speaker 2: That sounds like your friend who wants to buy a boat and is already paycheck to paycheck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excuse me, taking a sip of coffee, and he hasn't even suggested, well, wait a minute, we don't have the money now, so we're going to take out a short term high interest loan. How are we going to pay that back? Brandon is uninterested as a matter of fact and brand.
Speaker 2: They're always uninterested because the government officials know if they can just get the money spent, that's somebody else's problem. I mean it'll down there before Yeah, they'll be a leverage to raise taxes or whatever.
Speaker 1: Just got to get it on the books, right, which is why neither party is talking about Medicare right now. In social Security or the entitlement programs in short, because you just you wait for the disaster, partly because you cannot convince the electorate to make sacrifices before it's a disaster, because the other guy will say those sacrifices aren't necessary. They're trying to take away your bloody blah or they're trying to balance the budget on the back of the blah blah. And then the disaster happens, the bloody bla, and everybody's like, how did this happen? And then you know, the politician says, we got no choice. You gotta do these hard things. So if that's just the nature of democracy, and I ought to just deal with it. But here's the funny part. Here's the part I really wanted to get to. Let's see, this is from the Wall Street Journal editorial board. They say, voters deserve what they get in a democracy, but no one deserves Chicago may or Brandon Johnson, and certainly not Chicago school children. You know, that's the heartbreaking part. No kidding in seeking to reward his union benefactor. And then you know when these poor kids, who are in large number black and Hispanic whatever, when they don't achieve in these utterly corrupt schools. It'll be blamed on white supremacy and systemic racism and whatever. And Johnson and his ilk Kamala Harris are hardcore against school choice. No, you will stay in your corrupt union bound at neighborhood school anyway. So his honor is having in seeking to reward his union benefactors. His honor is having a political meltdown for the ages. On Monday, mister Johnson replaced the entire Chicago school Board with his allies after the previous board resigned on Moss last Friday. Every air sucking homo sapien on the school board said we will not be party to this.
Speaker 2: We quit, and that's progressive Chicago. It was too much for those folks.
Speaker 1: The previous board opposed the mayor's three hundred million dollars high in tresloan. We were talking about that to hand raises to the CTU, which funded his election campaign. Asked about the opposition to his loan scheme, mister Johnson pulled out, wait for it, the slavery card. Yeah, and I quote, when our people wanted to be liberated and emancipated in this country. The argument was, you can't free black people. Because it would be too expensive. They said that it would be fiscally irresponsible for this country.
Speaker 2: To liberate black people.
Speaker 1: And now you have detractors making the same argument of the Confederacy when it comes to the public education in this system.
Speaker 2: Wow. And this is with all the numbers that we've talked about over the last year or so of the achievement rate in Chicago, where you've got lots of schools where it would seem that it wouldn't make any difference if they were not open at all, right, because nobody reaches his the proficiency level.
Speaker 1: So literally nobody in some of the schools zero kids actually zero percent reach reading and writing proficiency. So there's just what do you even open for let alones asking for more money?
Speaker 2: How about we just close them down? The same result, right exactly.
Speaker 1: It's and you know, Jack, occasionally you god bless you, will say how do these people sleep at night? The answer is they have no shame. They're criminals, They're they're victimizers.
Speaker 2: On some levels like this, you'd have to be just to be have to be the criminal mind. It's just like I'm stealing from people, because there's no twisting that into a I'm doing the right thing for the kids. There's just no way, right.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, that's the pose, and anybody who falls for it as a sucker. You're not maybe you're not the facts. I'm not gonna try to hurt anybody's feelings. But oh yeah, the whole teacher's union thing, depending on where you are, it's it's more scammy than others. But so the accountants in the audience, I'm sure are are asking now, Joseph, you've said that their high interest loans. Tell me more about that. Well, the Chicago school district is junk rated. When they borrow money, their IOUs are rated as junk in the world of bonds, meaning you might get your money back. So mister Johnson's plan for the three hundred million dollar loan would cost Chicago Public Schools not three hundred million.
Speaker 2: Seven hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: So he is going to pay off the teachers union three hundred million dollars at the cost of taxpayers of seven hundred million dollars over the short term. I abhor the very idea of political violence. On the other hand, theft of this size and utter ammorality has been dealt with throughout human history.
Speaker 2: In various ways.
Speaker 1: Now he careful and constitutional investigation and prosecution is probably the best way to deal with it. On the other hand, if one's mind flies to tar and feathers, I can't blame you.
Speaker 2: I was trying to find it. A tweet I came across the other day from several years back during the pandemic, when Brandon Johnson whatever he was at the time, then tweeted out that this effort to reopen the schools reeks of white supremacy and blah blah blah. Why is the president of the Chicago Teachers You. Oh, that's right, that's what he was doing at that point, that this effort to reopen the schools reeks of white supremacy. That's why people want to reopen the schools.
Speaker 1: That's why they want to get the little black kids back to learning because of white supremacy. Good, good argument. And now he's playing the effing slavery card.
Speaker 2: You have. This guy is a monster, You just have to be a criminal. But people vote for him. I just said, what do you do?
Speaker 1: It's a proof that democracy Chicago crumble monarchy. Now, well, there are progressive cities and states around the country that are realizing the air of their ways and trying to backtrack a little bit? How far will Chicago fall? And and you know, if another generation, a little kids or whatever.
Speaker 2: Color their skin happens to be for goodness sakes.
Speaker 1: Grow up completely uneducated and have no good options. But crime, that's not an oh well. I mean this sol it'll take Chicago another generation and a half or so to figure out.
Speaker 2: How screwed up it is. That's a tragedy. But what are you gonna do? I we got a funny clip from Trump at one of his rallies. He's going to Aurora, Colorado today to point out the whole Venezuelan takeover of apartment complexes thingy. And so we'll play a little bit from that. Also got to ask Joe about one of his favorite hobbies that is now becoming a sport. They're declaring his sports. So stay tuned for that, lea, Yeah, stay tuned for among other things.
Speaker 9: Right, are you surprised that she's not doing like five events a day like barnstorming. I mean, there's only twenty six days barnstorming every battleground state three or four events a day. Forget the interview thing, Okay, I realize I'm biased as a reporter.
Speaker 2: I want interviews the.
Speaker 9: Local news for the local news, interviews, town halls round like, it just seems like it doesn't feel like October with.
Speaker 2: The schedules I'm looking at for both of them. But I kind of think he has the edge right now. Yeah, that's Jake Tapper on CNN saying what a lot of Democrats are apparently saying behind the scenes, what is she doing? I mean, when is she? Is she gonna at some point? You know how presidential candidates usually are in the closing weeks. They're like on a plane from five in the morning till eleven at night, and we all marvel at their schedules and think, how would anybody do that She's doing, Like, yeah, I'll go to a Marrabi state and do a luncheon this afternoon, but I'm leaving at eleven. I want to me back by four.
Speaker 1: Why what this is the mirror image of back when you know, after the debate and everybody's saying, Joe's got to get out there and show they still has it. It's got to do interviews in town halls and a parises and stuff. And the answer, obviously was he can't.
Speaker 2: He's not up to it. That's the same reason that Kamala is not doing what she's doing.
Speaker 1: She goes to get softballs like what would you do differently than the previous administration? And she can't string together thirty seconds of BS to adequately answer that question.
Speaker 2: She's awful. She could do rallies though she's good at that. Why isn't she doing eight rallies today in four different states. Nobody see him drunk. You see drunk.
Speaker 1: So one of the great things I came across in I think the New York Times a couple of years ago, was the loss of hobbies in America, making the argument that for some reason culturally, we had gotten into a habit of if you can't turn a profit on this, it's not worth doing. Yeah, yeah, And I found that very very liberating for lots of different things that I could be interested in.
Speaker 2: Just do it because you like it, and it's for fun. You don't. It's good for your brain, it's good for your heart. Right, you don't have to like get into painting or leather work, or or I've got a specific thing I'm gonna mention here in a second mine playing musical instruments. It was hard for me to do. But to get to the point that I'm just doing this because I like doing it. I don't need to have in my mind how I'm gonna, you know, play in front of people or put together a band or whatever. I'm just doing it because I like it.
Speaker 1: That's a perfectly good reason to play a musical.
Speaker 2: Instrument or do lots of different things. So you know, like if you like the knit scarves, you don't have to have an Etsy site and figure out how many you could make a week and how much money the yarn will cost and what the profit to do it.
Speaker 1: Just do it because you'll even if they just go on a drawer, you give them a good will. It's perfectly reasonable. People have always had hobbies. In other words, and tell your liberal friends if Trump wins, don't hang yourself with this as you hand it to them.
Speaker 2: But I came across this because I think this is one of your things. You've mentioned a couple of times. I've never unders one of.
Speaker 1: My hobbies has become a sport. Self pleasurement is now a sport. Sorry, obvious joke, folks, obvious that the comedy the laws of physics of Comedy demanded, somebody make that joke.
Speaker 2: Well, if it ever, if ever does become a sport, clear room for a bust in the Hall of Fame. That's all I'm saying, Katie. Katie's got her eyes closed.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because I'm trying to take myself to my happy place in a way.
Speaker 2: From what you guys are saying. Anyway, now we'll try to move on. We really should, Dick, Sorry, cut that out of the podcast so nobody ever hears that, and some that doesn't need to be hurt Bright anyway. Yeah. The Federalist has an article today about how bird watching is now a sport, should be considered a sport. Oh no, it shouldn't. You have mentioned you're a birdwatcher. The only reason I don't mock bird watching otherwise I would, is because I just don't. I'd have no interest in watching birds. But my grandma was into it, and I really liked my grandma, and she had lots of books about it and wrote down the birds she saw and everything like that, so she was into it. So I'm not gonna mind. I for whatever reason, I just don't have any interest in birds. If you told me the rarest bird in the world was in the studio next door, I probably wouldn't even walk over there and look at it. I just don't care.
Speaker 1: Well, if it's in the studio next door, something's gone terribly wrong. But you don't trap them to watch. You observe thee If I was sitting on my car the parking lot, still I would I'd shoot it away so it doesn't poop on my car, and I'd get my car drive home.
Speaker 2: Birdwatching is a sport. I'm not exactly sure what the sport would part would be.
Speaker 1: I know some people who are like crazy into it, who want to cite the most birds and brag about it and that sort of thing, and you know, to each their own. I suppose I just for for Judy and me, it's boy, that's a pretty bird.
Speaker 2: I wonder what that is and you figure it out.
Speaker 1: Or we have apps that identify bird songs, so you hear something tweeting melodically in the trees and.
Speaker 2: You record it on the app, but it tells you what bird it is. Wow, that's cool technology. So it's like the Shazam for bird calls exactly. Yeah, wow, binoculars in our bird books and stuff. I'm so anti bird. When I go to the zoo, it's like the bird section, It's like, why is that here? It's filler, It's like the bran and raisin bran. You just you just had to kill some of the space to claim you have a big zoo. Nobody wants to see a bird what the brand? And raisin brand is that?
Speaker 1: What? What? Do you just want to eat a bowl of raisins. Maybe that's a bad example, but I said the other day, I said, a zoo with my daughter and my wife. I said, you know, when I was a kid, I had no interest in the birds, but now there's just beautiful. Maybe maybe a j I'm not sure it's a sport. Maybe it's my low tee Billiard's not a sport. Bird watching sport golf, you say, it's no. It depends who you are and how you play. But as the great Jim Rome once said, if you can gain weight while you're doing something, it's not a sport. That I have no counter argument. Even though that sounds like a joke. It's a pretty good way to define a sport.
Speaker 2: If you can gain weight doing it, it's not a sport.
Speaker 7: Armstrong and Getty