Speaker 1: I'm Honey Germy. My parents are Dominican. I was born and raised in New York City. I love speakers and I'm a body positive advocate.
Speaker 2: I'm Carolina Bermudez soy Nikata wins it. But I was born and raised in Ohio. I'm a wife, a mama, and a worker bee.
Speaker 3: This is life in Spanglish.
Speaker 1: The time has arrived, Carolina. We don't put in a full season of life in Spanglish. Can you believe this?
Speaker 2: No? You know what, I it's hard to believe. When we were talking about it this morning, I sat back and then I went back to our page on the iHeart app, and I was like, we really did that, Like this is really the end of the season. It just flew by, seriously.
Speaker 1: And it's so like just on point that it's like the fall right September, the holidays are creeping up on us, and here we are. Life in Spanglish is coming to an end for twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm not ready for this to any You know that I'm not ready for the holidays, because why would I be? There are so many coming up. Actually, funny enough, this past weekend I said to Mark, I go. You better decide what you want to be for Halloween. It happens every year, this poor man. No, And actually I don't even like Halloween. I feel like I've talked about it before on this podcast. I don't get into Halloween. The only reason why I play along is because it gives Mark Grossman so much joy, and he likes to find the most ridiculous costume and I have to go along with it. So like one year he I do like to go Matchine because that girl.
Speaker 1: That's pressure because he gets to pick and then you have to figure it out, and then.
Speaker 2: I have to figure it out. Like last year he was a Pineapple and he wore a giant pineapple like cost So, yeah, well not being you, and I don't know why. He's like, it's just ridiculous. So I dressed up. I went to Amazon. By the way, I thank God for Amazon, and this is not an ad for them. Because we were so late to the game. I had to go to every Spirit Halloween store in the Tri state area to find him a freaking pineapple, to the point where I was even calling costume shops in New York City asking them, do you have a pineapple costume?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, no, no, my man, if you decide you're gonna be a pineapple, you don't have to find Yoshit too.
Speaker 2: I know, right well. I ended up finding him a costume like in Riverhead, okay, and it was like the last one, the island, the and a long island. I traveled near him far and then I went on Amazon and I was like, okay, what can I be? Like a pineapple? I thought, like, am I am? I like SpongeBob? Am I the squirrel from SpongeBob? And then I ended up being a pineapple princess like from It's called Princess Power. So I like modeled the pineapple princess and I put together like but that's what I'm saying. The pressure. So I said to him last weekend, you better figure out what you want to be for Halloween so that I am not scrambling the week before because we always go to this party and he has not decided yet, Like what do you and noone do?
Speaker 1: First of all, Karline, I need to give our listeners a Dominican translation to what you said to Mark Abdi?
Speaker 2: What what she said exactly? That is the tea, exactly what I said.
Speaker 1: We used to dress up. But why do you feel like I feel like this episode, Caroline, I feel like this episode we could take it as tips holidays because pasa Halloween. So I think let's do that. Let's let's give everybody, you know, tips. I'm preparing for the holidays. What do we have five holidays coming up? That's a lot.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we got Halloween right, and then we have Honkah, which is my you know, we celebrate Honukah. I will tell you. I'll get into that after. But we have Honukkah, we have Christmas, New Year's. What am I missing?
Speaker 4: And come on, Caroline, Oh my gosh, yeah, I've had it.
Speaker 2: These kids get an I said, forget it. You know what the Three can on Christmas?
Speaker 1: They get it, all the three.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But Halloween. Let's tackle Halloween, Carolina. So you guys dress up. We used to dress up, but not anymore.
Speaker 2: And you know what it is. I feel like this year it's going to be so typical, and I really really want people to think outside the box because we are going to see so many Ken and Barbie's. It's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Not Kenn Barbie. It's gonna be a lot.
Speaker 2: There's totally and all the little girls are gonna want to be Barbie. So I feel like that. For me, it's like a hard no. But I just told him, I said, look, I'll do whatever.
Speaker 1: That'll be cute. That would be cute, and you already got Ken anyway, so why not.
Speaker 2: No, No, he won't do it. It's not ridiculous enough. I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: He likes to be silly.
Speaker 2: He likes to be silly. He was too Ken Sam from Fruit Loops and his beak kept hitting people in the head. It was so large, it was so ridiculous, and I ended up being Tony the Tiger from frost Flakes.
Speaker 1: That's cute. I like that. I like that. I like that.
Speaker 2: We like to think of like all of these, you know, just outrageous different things. I'm trying to think of another year. What were we? Oh, we were both ballerinas one year. He loves a good blow up costume.
Speaker 1: Oh those are obnoxious as hell, Carolina, don't tell me, And shit.
Speaker 2: I hate it. I hate them. No. What he was what? He was a giant animal of some sort one time. Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. Like, whenever he shows up at the party, he wants to be the one that people are cracking up and being like, oh my gosh, I can't believe he wore that. So yeah, Halloween it's still on hold for me. But we need to get that wrapped up immediately, because I do not want that stress or that pressure.
Speaker 1: Okay, Because I was looking at an article and like celebrity stylists were predicting already what the Halloween costumes are going to be in, Barbie was number one for sure, followed by Wednesday Atoms. Big shout out Naala, our digital content producer. I don't know why. Anytime I think Wednesday Adams, I think of her.
Speaker 2: Do you really? Oh my gosh, Now I'm never gonna unsee it. Nala. We need to do a side by side.
Speaker 1: Yeah for real. Now she looks like her. But this girl Carolina to talk about. Oh you gotta watch Wednesday Adams. I remember this is like when she first started last October and I'm watching this show. I'm like, I'm gonna kill this girl. I just watched it. I just wasted like three episodes. This is for kids. I was like, turns it off.
Speaker 2: I am here for it. Nala, you need to dress up as Wednesday Adams as Halloween and we'll do like a side by side. I feel like, Honey, just did you a favor, because now you don't even have to think about anything.
Speaker 1: There you go, I always deliver. Another one was the Little Mermaid. They feel like a lot of especially with our black girls.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, because this.
Speaker 1: Will be amazing. All of our black little girls can be out here, you know, being the Little Mermaid confidently and owning it.
Speaker 2: I love that, Honey, I completely forgot and that's a good thing too. It's like you start to remember all of these things that happen in pop culture over the year when you start thinking about like a costume for yourself, and you like pick up on the things that maybe people forgot about. Do you know who wears the most insane Halloween costumes?
Speaker 1: The Queen of Halloween, Heidi Clume takes a carey you go level boom. Don't nobody do it biggot than Heidi.
Speaker 2: And she doesn't do like the typical cutesy princess sexy. She was a freaking worm last year and a disgusting worm at that. Like she gets prosthetics. I mean she goes, she tops herself.
Speaker 1: I feel like every year she tops.
Speaker 2: Herself, definitely, so she has one to watch. I would love for her to give a hint, but every year it's the most guarded secret. She never wants anybody to know what she's gonna be. But definitely, I'm gonna be keeping an eye on Heidiklume. Were there any other ideas that we can share with people, because I have no clue what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: Bridgerton, They said Bridgeton and Queen Charlotte are going to be two shows that people are going to be dressing up as this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, those two, so you gotta get the tatas out.
Speaker 3: Girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I get that. I don't know where we're getting these dresses. But I feel like another big one here in New York is going to be Ice Spice, I feel like, and I want to do it. Girl, I just got to locate the right curly wig, because you can't have the wrong curly wig.
Speaker 2: No, you can't be out there looking like Ronald McDonald. No, you gotta do her right, you can't, like, you gotta find the perfect ice Spice wig, which I feel like you like people can accomplish it, But I would love to see you pull this look off. Well, I'm going to keep you guys posted. I'll let you know what I'm gonna do, and I will post it on my social media. I'm at the real Carolina, and then you can follow I am Honey German to see what she does for Halloween. But we got to get into like, see Halloween. To me, it's not that it isn't a real holiday. It said, I don't get pumped for it. So I'm just kind of like, Okay, it's there.
Speaker 1: Don't get canceled, Carolina, be easy on the Halloween situation, because these people are I was in Disney a couple of weeks ago and they had like Disney Halloween Nights. Girl, I was shook. It was I was just people watching. I didn't even want.
Speaker 2: To do anything. No, that's an event.
Speaker 1: These Disney adults are sick wid apparently. I was like, what do they work here? Are they patrons?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 2: Wait? And they look at you crazy. If you show up just in your jeans and your sneakers, They're like what what that was me?
Speaker 3: Gird?
Speaker 2: That was me?
Speaker 1: I have bike the shorts on in some ones? That was it? That's all? Yeah, getting And then I looked to my right, and there's Jasmine and Aladdin on a ride with me. Then I looked to my left. Pirates of the Caribbean is to my red. I'm like, yo, what is happening? These are regular humans?
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also the fact that they take the time to pack these things. You know me and we've talked about it before in this season. How much of a packer I am imagine having to like pack your costume to go to Disney to wear it one night to only like, no, it's too much for me. So no, for me, I'm really not the person that goes all out for Halloween. But I can appreciate the people who do.
Speaker 1: I love them. They could do it because I ensure as how I ain't gonna do it.
Speaker 2: No. Well, now, when we come back, we got to get into like what I was saying is like these are like the real holidays to me, like Thanksgiving is where it all kicks in, and I want to know some of your traditions. Money. When we get back from the brig, got you. I can't believe I forgot it. The namosci la Paul, we have to talk about Thanksgiving. What do you guys typically do do have you ever hosted a Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Honey, Yeah, I've done Thanksgiving before. You know, when I first moved in, when noon, I was like, yeah, I'm an adult. Now I'm gonna do Thanksgiving. Girl. I used to tell like his mom, like I got Thanksgiving. Now, thinking back on it, I'm like, the fuck was I thinking?
Speaker 2: What were you thinking? No, I do not want to ever have to host a Thanksgiving again. It is so stressful. And by the way, I'll have you all know I have two ovens, I have a warming I have a warming drawer, I have a full range.
Speaker 1: This is how heavy you do it up. Talk to me, Carolina.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying the choreography and the timing that has to go into making the perfect things giving meal is ridiculous. Like I had to sit out the night before and be like, Okay, I'm gonna well, let's talk about like the preparation. First of all, just going even writing the list, you always forget something. I don't care how meticulous you are, how diligent you are, You're gonna forget something from the store, the shaved almonds for the cranberry. You're gonna forget that, you know what I mean, Like, there's always something that you forget. So I'm the type of person that I'm like, Mark, go pick this up for me, Mark, I don't have enough green beans. We have more people coming, you know, So it's like it the pressure for me is what really gets.
Speaker 1: Me, especially with the latinos. You know, we gotta go to Terre, Supermacalia, Key Food, Yeah, Walmart, then m Ok, yeah, Weagmans, like we just we pick from everywhere. So that's even another layer of stress just the shopping alone.
Speaker 2: Right, because you can't get certain ingredients at certain stores, like for example, my mom who lives in Miami, she goes to Sadano's for certain things. But then it's like you go to public, so you know, you're spending that cash. So she tries to go to the other stores that are yeah and that that are selling like the ingredients that we need, you know, for whatever it is that she wants to make. Oh wait, and by the way, don't even get me started on the nakatemalas. My mom used to make us prepare for nakatemalas that we would make these to freeze them for Christmas for Thanksgiving. So when we're sitting there chopping and our little fingers are so tired because we chopped all the carrots, all the celery for the recalo.
Speaker 1: My mom calls well, call us, but that's the equivalent of the pastillas and the Puerto Ricans and dominicanmates. Tamala is kind of like the same concept.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, well yeah, naktamalas. They're made with like a banana, a banana leaf and the masa chan cho.
Speaker 1: You gotta make it.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is. It is a production. The thing is, it's just so delicious when you're having it. But it's like the guys don't sit there and stuff that tamalas. It's all the girls. But I feel like that's what's the beautiful part about it.
Speaker 1: My mother in law still makes balls from scratch. I'm like, go girl, do your thing. I love yours, Yes girl, because go off girl, Yeah, do your thing, because guess who's not gonna be guayando juga yami all that stuff. Because it's like seven different starchy vegetables that we put in hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, and we do a massa. But like my mom, I've tried a million times to get her to tell me her recipe. Do you know that I even recorded her okay. I uploaded it to YouTube and I unlisted it and I put it on private because I want to be able to watch her make it. My mom cannot give you the recipe on how to make anakatamal. She just can't do it. Like I've sat there and I've tried to, like, Mom, you got to measure it out.
Speaker 1: She's like, no, it's it's me the Carolina a yuca dam Like. It's just I feel her because I kind of cook the same way. I don't have recipes, I don't follow measurements. I just do my thing and boila.
Speaker 2: What I love is my mom goes eh, and I'm like, what is a the hoogle? Mom? You know, like.
Speaker 1: Carolina talun Chin. Ain't no measurements, girl, I know.
Speaker 2: And then she'll say and then she'll go in and she'll go wait and she'll grab like a massive handful. I'm like, mom, Mom, that's not what it is though, you know. So like yeah, for Thanksgiving, we typically go to Miami and it's a beautiful thing because my mom had always said, like I know she has six kids, and she said, I know, when you guys start your own families, Christmas is so special and you want to share that with you know, your families and your kids. You want to see them and the joy that they have, like when Santa comes and everything. She's like, but will you all just give me Thanksgiving? And she's like, and I know you're gonna have to rotate one year at your in laws one year with me, But whenever we can, we go to our moms for thanks I go every year, you know, because Mark's mom is in Florida and we invite her. So I'm oh, that's prepper lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm dope. It works out really nicely for you. Plus, you know, you have your turkey and your little bikini.
Speaker 2: If mom allows for it, you think I'm gonna be showing off this this I know no, So like it is, it ends up being like a nice little vacation for us, and we're forming those memories and those traditions for our kids. Like I see my my sons when we go down to Miami and the morning of Thanksgiving. Uh, you know when it's like the music is on, there's footfall on, they're they're going in and out. The kids are in the pool, you know, the the are hanging out with the boys outside. We're all inside prepping and helping my mom. And okay, like my sister Elizabeth, I do have to give her credit. She is amazing in the kitchen. She's got two instant pots going. We have bokitas, you know, like we're putting out little appetizers for everybody as the day goes on. So it's such a It gives me such a warm feeling because I know that my kids are gonna remember, wow, like we used to go to wheat this house, you know, like when they're older, and hopefully they'll like continue with those traditions.
Speaker 1: And so how do you blend like your your I guess, your Jewish traditions with your Latino traditions When it comes to let's say Thanksgiving, do you make certain plates that Mark grew up eating?
Speaker 2: No, not necessarily, you know. And that's the thing that I feel like I have it so much easier than other people because like, look, like I said, his mom doesn't really cook, and we invite her every year. We say I am plato, you know what I mean, Like she can come in atienna sulugar like she has her chair, and my mom loves to cook and to do like a feast, so we I never really got any recipes like from my mother in law, but I mean the fact that she's there and my kids get to see both of their grandma because you know, my husband's father passed away a long time ago, but they get to see both of their grandma's in the same space, which I.
Speaker 1: Think, Yeah, that is the reason I ask is because my sister, you know, her husband is white, and when we go for Thanksgiving, this woman has, you know, all of the dishes he grew up with. I'm talking fresh cranberry sauce, wowing bean espabo a girl, it is a lot. That's the reason I ask you, because she'd be cooking for like three days bless No.
Speaker 2: You know, my mom does a good mix though, like I will say, you know, we have like I mentioned riccalo, but she'll also have like asparagus with hollandaise sauce, and she'll make like a mashed potato pro you know, like because we rice with everything. My father has to have rice, so it's like a you know, it's like bab exactly, and then also like h and salada for the people who don't really love to eat the searchy things. But then we have like my sister will make like sweet potato casse roles, so we we really do. We cook it up. And I, of course, you know, I'm just there to help. I chop, I do, and I watch.
Speaker 1: Rolina be the soux chef and ship. I know who you are. You're Bella. Okay, you get you know what.
Speaker 2: Actually I was about to be offended, but no, you know what, Bella and I have our space and we we're essential workers.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah, they'd be like you people look parched. Let's pop up and let's get this party going.
Speaker 2: The mimosas are flowing, okay, And I will not let anybody I hydrate everyone. I will say that if that cup is getting low, your girl is gonna fill it up. So there you go.
Speaker 1: I knew it.
Speaker 2: I knew it, our tender sou chef, all of it. I I am not afraid. But no, you know you did mention how do I blend like the Jewish cultures and traditions with you know, Thanksgiving? But we do celebrate both Hanukah and Christmas, and it does get interesting, so we can get into that after this. Well, now, honey, you were talking about Thanksgiving and how you spend it like your sister sounds like she puts out an amazing spread.
Speaker 1: Bless her soul. My sister is like Mother Teresa of our family. And you know what I you know what I hate about the holidays. She tries to get dressed up, but then she starts sweating, and then her hair becomes a mess. And I want her to one time just look gorgeous and sit in the living room and let me and Bella and my mom take over the kitchen, because yes, she does the most.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine? I don't think that she would have the ability somebody like that.
Speaker 1: You'll have a nervous breakdown, Caroline. I'll have to put it on a straight jacket to sit in the couch.
Speaker 2: Even just watching you guys, I feel like would be a challenge for her. So I don't think she would enjoy it as much. Truthfully, I don't think that she would be able to like sit there and allow you guys to do that for her, because there are certain types of people, for sure.
Speaker 1: God bless her soul. I'll be there for Thanksgiving, girl.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, as long as she's cooking, I am there. So then what do you guys do for Christmas? Do you and noony, like have your own separate thing or like do you guys go and get together with your sisters? Like how does that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we always either go to his mom or go to my older sister, Like for the last year we were in Florida, we went to my mom's. Last Thanksgiving we did in Miami. But we travel wherever the most amount of people are. That's what we try to do because since we don't have kids and it's just to two of us. I'm not making I'm not making up a need. I'm not making a whole turkey. I'm mnsa spend the block. I'm gonna see what a food is at Carolina, and I'm gonna bring whatever they tell me to bring. People love my potato salad. I'll bring the potato salad. I'll bring as many bottles of wine as you want. I'll bring all the dessert you want. But girl, no, we gonna crash the older women's houses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they know what's up and that's what we need to follow. But then the thing is is one day we are going to be the older women and people are going to expect this from us. And I don't want to see you at shop, right, picking up a turkey, you know, the week of Christmas or Thanksgiving, you know, and trying to figure it out. So we got to start like slowly beginning to to you know, like put these things on. Like for example, so for well, Russia Shana was last week, but Russia Shana mark I said, Mark, I go, so what do I need to do? And He's like, oh, we need a brisket, we need a noodle.
Speaker 1: Google how long ago is this that you asked this question?
Speaker 2: Like how when we first started dating? When we first started dating, because like he we were both still single, well no, not single, but we were both still kind of like just dating, you know, and I wanted to know, like, how does one celebrate this stuff?
Speaker 1: She said, put me on because listen to me, I want to show up all confused, and shit, I do not want to do that.
Speaker 2: I needed to go to the source, you know, because it's like you've been living this life hello, you know, this is just my first exposure to it. So over the years now we've been together, gosh, fifteen years, I've learned how to make a really good noodle coogle, you know, I've learned how to make explain that you don't know what noodle coogle is. It's kind of like a dessert. It depends on how you make it. Like some people make it really sweet. Some people make it with like cottage she's. It's basically like a casserole and it's sweet. Yeah, and it's so good. It has noodles, eggs. Some people put cottage sheees in it. Some people put sour cream. Some people put raisins in it, like you can, you can really like hush it up, you know, like, and I've tried different recipes, but now the most rewarding thing for me is when we are celebrating the Jewish holidays and the boys look at me and they're like, Mommy, this is the best brisket ever. I'm like, oh my gosh, you know, because then they're gonna one day be like, mom, I need to come home for Russiashana, or I need to come home for won't pass Over. Not really, but like I don't I wouldn't make a brisket for Passover, but you know, just for those certain holidays that they will remember like that was my mom's cooking, you know, so they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna be like, mom, I need the apple noodle Koogle recipe for my new girlfriend. I'm trying to put onto your recipes. Yes, Caroline a wapper, it will happen.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, and I will. I'm generous. I am not petty like that. Like there's an apple honey snack cake like cause for Russia, for Russia, Sshana, you have to dip the apples in the honey. That's the one where you dip the apples in the honey. And so sometimes you can make like a different cake or something. And by the way, I am by no means a Jewish authority. I'm just telling you how we do it in our house. And we're interfaith, so you know, some of the things that we do may be more relaxed or different from people who fully observe Judaism. But I just think it's like a beautiful thing to expose the kids to both religions and to the high Holy days, you know, so we give everything its importance.
Speaker 1: And so much tradition, you know, just the meaning behind you know, dipping the slice of apple and the honey and just them knowing that it's it's it's refreshing.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: You're not letting tradition and customs die down.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. And I think that they are going to grow up remembering and like they don't appreciate it now, they don't see it now, but I think eventually, when they are older, they'll be like, wow, like how did they do that? You know what I mean? Because it isn't easy, Like there are times where Hanukah overlaps with Christmas. I've seen that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how do what's going on in these interfaate families? Are you just partying for like two weeks straight?
Speaker 2: What's going on here partying? No? I am exhausted, I am dragging myself. I am clawing my way to the finish line. Honey, I'm telling you like I did tell my husband. I said, look like we because we celebrate both and it's such a materialistic holiday. I said to him. I was like, we need to like figure out a place and for Hanukkah and Christmas as like the kids get older, right like when they're younger, you can give them toys and things like that. So like for example, for Hankah, like we'll give them for one night, We'll give them a book that they've really wanted. It doesn't have to be like an extravagant gift, you know, another another night wet. Like we gave them soccer balls last year. You know, they're really into soccer. We give them their own designated soccer balls, you know, like and what what does a soccer ball cause? Like fifteen twenty bucks you know, depending on where you get it. So we want to make it more Yes, they do receive something each night, but we try to be more thoughtful about it, like.
Speaker 1: So you get to talk about it for like it's eight days, right, so then yes, nights, then you get to talk about it like this is the meaning behind this gift. This is not just a bunch of stuff, like you open all this up and then there's no meaning behind it. That's good.
Speaker 2: I like that, right, Or like we see things that they need and we say like, okay, you know tonight, for example, Noah's tennis rackets was like beaten up, you know, and they take tennis lessons and so it's not like we're just buying them things to buy it for them, and I think that that's like the important part. Or like things that they can wear that are you know, for their school, like to show their school spirit and stuff like that, you know, because I just I have a real hard time because I didn't I didn't get as much. Like my parents think that I was spoiled, but like in my mind, I always recognize that, like there were kids in my class that would come laced out the next like two weeks, they would get all new shit, you know, And so it's like I just want my kids to appreciate what they have, and I want them to recognize that like this is not the way that most people like that, this is not their life, you know what I mean. So I don't know. We tried to do our best and and really truly, like for Christmas and Hanukkah, we try to give an experience. So one year we took the kids to a Knicks game, and that right there, that's the reason why we did all of these little gifts, right like I got ash for a pack of poke on cards and know, a pack of like basketball trading cards.
Speaker 1: Because so that's why they probably loved it, and they probably loved it. It's just more about the tradition itself than the materialistic things, and.
Speaker 2: The experience is what we all look forward to because it's something that we can do together, like whether it's a show like an artist that they're obsessed with, or if it's like like I said, like a NIX game or something that we can look forward to, you know, that's what we try to like base our presence on so that they have more meaning to them, you know.
Speaker 1: And it definitely makes sense because to me, my life experiences, the places I've traveled, the concerts I've seen, have much more meaning than any piece of clothing or shoes or anything like that that can all go into trash. I'll exchange every material thing for every experience that I have lived. So I understand you.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna they don't even know where those Pokemon cards are in the last year, I mean real talk, they probably at traded them with their friends. And that's the whole point. It's like they'll forget all of the other things, but they'll definitely remember that time that we went to see the Denver Nuggets, you know, and they were playing the Knicks and where we sat and what the actually Asher remembers the score and that's so crazy to me because he was so little, you know, and they remember who came out like So those are like the special parts of mixing the two religions that that I really truly appreciate.
Speaker 1: I'm here for it. And I've got good news for you, Carolina. There's going to be some separation this year between Hanukkah and Christmas. You're going to get like a break. I think like a two week break in between, like a ten day break.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, sweet Jesus. Oh my gosh, yes, I just.
Speaker 1: Made your day right now. I said, let me look at these days and make sure my Carolina is not going to be dead by New Year's.
Speaker 2: Eve, I'm telling you. And New Year's Oh my gosh, I am always crying on New Year's. Mark said, He's like, I want to see you not cry one New Year's Eve and I said, you're happy tears of joy?
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I'm I'm like, what is happening in this howl on your years?
Speaker 2: No, I always look forward to like actually last year we went to d R. We went to the DR and I looked at him and I was just like like, what, like thank you, you know what I mean, Like we get another year together and our family, like we were all together. So the traditions for us, But like what about you, do you guys plan a trip or do anything for like New Year or like Christmas to market.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go back. Last year, we spent the whole month of December in Miami. We did a lot of dope stuff. You know, we spent a lot of time together. We were just it was a different type of vibe. Usually we're with family, bad navidad betto. I'm Annuevo Cattolina my birthday December thirty. First, I know it already, No vibes know it. The vibes have got to be on point no matter where I'm at. I just like to relax. On New Year's Eve. I end up going out at the end of the night because it's weird. Then I'm like, oh, it's my birthday too, and I didn't do anything. And then I put the pressure on it and even find me a club. We actually went to Club eleven with Cardian Offset last year for New Year's Eve. It was a crazy New Year's Eve to say the least.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Well, you know what, there are probably people who are wondering right now, like or maybe there are traditions that have been lost in your family. You know, I think it's so important for us to just try to think back and and remember, like the happy times of your childhood. Yeah, give me some, give me some ideas.
Speaker 1: They're you know, they're Latinos. We have a lot of like very curious like New Year's Eve traditions, like the twelve grapes as the clock strikes midnight. You know, a lot of Spanish speaking countries, like Ula Espana, they make sure that they sitcom uwas for good luck of each month of the next year. That's a good one. Another one is los pantis. You got to pick the right underwear. In many Latin American countries, the underwear you wear on New Year's Eve has a big impact on how your year ahead is going to be. Yes, Mario, right, it's supposed to bring good luck and good fortune in the new year, edible or otherwise, those are worn for luck and love. So see touquio marito.
Speaker 3: Par okayay right now now.
Speaker 1: Our one thing you do not want to do on New Year's Eve is pontos pantis negro because try bad luck. So no so pantico Mario. If you want good luck, let me write a no caro. I'm not gonna make sure to check my panties on New year'st it.
Speaker 2: I am all about it.
Speaker 1: We got to tell Bella, we got.
Speaker 2: Somebody's gotta lock that up. And yeah, I will say the grapes we do every single year. I remember the people that would used to leave the luggage outside are Cuban friends. They would uggage it would run around the house with the luggage.
Speaker 1: Walk me in a circle too with a suitcase like you if it's too cold and you're still trying to travel, and right inside the house.
Speaker 2: You can do that absolutely. But no, you know, I feel like these traditions and these things are so important to keep alive in our families. And you know, even if there's twelve of them in your family, right, even if you just do two, even if there's two of them that every year the kids can look forward to. This has nothing to do with any of the holidays. But I'll tell you something that I have done since the kids were little. On Noah's first birthday, I got him a crown. Okay, and it's like it's had to be from party City. But it wasn't like a flimsy paper crown. It was like a gold crown with like the little string or whatever. On his first birthday, he wore the crown. On his second birthday, he wore the crown because Astra wasn't here. Yet every year on their birthday they have worn this crown and it is not anything that I spent a ton time.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 2: It is ever and I play las Manya Anthas and now they know every single birthday they're like, oh, here comes mommy, you know, and they've got to wear the crown. I said, you guys are gonna wear this crown twenty eighty years old. I don't care how old you are.
Speaker 1: This is amazing.
Speaker 2: I love the crown. And now it's so funny because they're only they're ten and eight years old, but they have the expectation where's the crown? Mom They get it, you know. And so I said to them, I said, you know, one day you're gonna want your babies to have a crown. I said, because this is you're my little kings, you know. And I picture some of them with it every single year. So it's something that I look forward to and I just know that it's like left that impression on them. You know.
Speaker 1: I love this. I need to see pictures of the boys in the crown.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I will send it to you, because girl, by the time.
Speaker 1: You are twenty. We're gonna have a whole sequence, and then we're going to pass the crown down to the boys for their boys. That's so I love this, Carolina. I love tradition, and we have a tradition too. When it comes to Ananovo in la casa Mia, I kill Pia. We got to clean the whole house. Listen, we cannot let the new year come in with a dirty house, solim Pia, I get compra floor de blanca, I get pred Bela. We gotta get out with the old, in with the new. Any bad juju, any bad vibes. We got to get rid of it. And me and Bella go to the Botanica and we buy a white candle. We get this little thing that's called al camfort and we put it in water ona pa to malo salga, and we buy white roses. And that's how we make sure we bring in the new year gasa Limpia, oh yea casalympia, panti rojo, because we're gonna have us a good twenty twenty four. Carolina, I am manifesting it right now.
Speaker 2: Oh we sure are? You know that's right. But also I love the purity of it. I love that everything is white, everything is clean. There's something that can Yeah, there's no noise saying pasalo. You know, it's like you've got to make sure that you set yourself up for greatness every year. And you know there are some people who will say, oh, that's ridiculous, but you know what, we believe. You believe and that's all you need.
Speaker 1: That is all you need. Look for New Year's they write money around the house and it's believed to bring them prosperity.
Speaker 2: I love that. Well, you know what, let us know your traditions. Put them on our Instagram at l Spanglish because we want to know. Listen, the more the merrier, I'll try it all.
Speaker 1: Me too, girl. Listen, if it's a positivity, prosperity and a better year, we're down for it.
Speaker 2: We're totally here for it. And we are so so appreciative that you guys have been writing with us this season and that you've allowed us to keep you company. Thank you so so much for listening to another season of life in Spanglish.
Speaker 1: We love you, man. It's been a dope, dope season. We've learned so much from our listeners, and I hope that they've learned a lot from us too, Carolina, because we do this with the hope of connecting, you know, projecting relatability and letting people know that we're all the same people. We just have different jobs, we live in different homes. But at finalehinte, I love that.
Speaker 2: You know, and we want to send you guys all of our love and positivity for the new year ahead. And hopefully if you guys have missed other seasons, you can go back and listen on the free iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. Don't forget to follow me. I'm at the real Carolina, and we can always keep the conversation going.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. Hit me on the Gram. I am Honey German and Honey German on all the other platforms I've been getting into TikTok. So let's connect on there now.
Speaker 2: Let's do it, guys, and have a great year, everybody.
Speaker 1: Ad Jo Mihinki Lifeense Banglish is a production of life and Spanglish productions in partnership with Iheart's Michael through that podcast network.