Speaker 1: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast. This week on the show, we are continuing our new series exploring the habits, mindsets, methods and routines of the best deer hunters in the world, and today our guest is the one and only Andre de Quisto.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt Podcast, your guide to the whitetail Woods presented by first Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go Farther, Stay Longer, and now your host Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast, brought to you by First Light, and today we are continuing our new series. As I just mentioned, this is our Mindsets of the Whitetail Masters series, in which we are trying to get a behind the scenes look at what's going on in the minds of these absolute top tier elite deer hunters. What are the mindsets, what are their philosophies, What are the habits and routines and little things that they do and little things that they believe in that continue to help them have consistent deer hunting success. That's what we're trying to figure out. So far, we've spoken with John Eberhart, Ben Rising, and now today Andre de Quisto. Andre is pretty legendary within the whitetail hunting world. He's the founder of Lone Wolf now Lone Wolf Custom Gear as well. He was a part of the white Tail addictionous TV show, still is, and he is just truly a master and an innovator within the white tail world. So many of the tactics and strategies that folks use now in large part stem from Andrea's kind of kicking this aggressive mobile hunting movement off decades ago. He's still doing that today with incredible success. And so my hope was to try to get a better understanding of why that is the case, of what's going on behind the scenes, or what is it about Andre's personality or about his drive or about his motivations that has led to all of this. I think those are some of the things that I'm starting to pick up on as we have these conversations. In some cases with these guys, they don't even necessarily have a specific habit or routine or mindset that they explicitly overtly realize that they're following or realize that they're implementing. But there are things going on behind the scenes that maybe even are happening without them realizing that all seem to be in common. These people have tremendous drive. They are very, very goal oriented. They are unwilling to accept failure in the way that they define it. They are able to push through whatever challenges face them. They are dog headed, they are determined, and they learn. I think that's a key thing, is that they have learned from their own experiences. They've let their eyes, their experiences inform what they do. They are not beholden to some magazine article or to some preconceived notion of the past. That those are a few things that have stood up to me so far, and I think you're going to see some of that pop up here in my conversation with Andre, and a lot more so I will just let Andre speak for himself. Now, this is another great one. I think we're all going to learn something here today. I'll give you one more plug. I mentioned this last week. We have a new educational series from Meet Eat for whitetail hunters. This is for newer deer hunters or people that just kind of want to shore up their foundation and make sure that they are locked and loaded on all of those core foundational whitetail concepts. Things you just have to have drill down before the season and starts. So we cover topics and really some of the biggest, most common questions we'd get. Our first episode that just came out recently was all about what deer eat and what times of year they eat different things, and how to determine what deer feeding on right now and the importance of scouting and understanding the right here and now aspect of deer food. We also are going to cover tracks. We're going to cover rubs and scrapes and droppings and calling and impacts of weather and lots of stuff like that. So make sure you're subscribed to the Meat Eater Clips YouTube channel. So this is like where our short form content is going to live now. So that's Meat either Clips. Subscribe there. Take a look at our most recent video. Please give it a like. Subscribe to that channel, give that a watch. More to come soon. Thank you for following along, Share it with anyone who you think can benefit from this stuff. And same goes to this podcast. Of course, I've been hearing some good things about the first couple episodes. I hope you are feeling the same way, and I'm going to do my very best to make sure these next few episodes.
Speaker 3: Are even better.
Speaker 1: So with that said, and without any further ado, let's get to my chat with Andre Dquisto. All right, with me back on the show, we've got, mister Andre Dquisto.
Speaker 3: Andre, thank you so much for joining me. Hein no problem.
Speaker 1: I greatly appreciate every time that you make time to speak. It means the world to me, and I know our audience is always is always really happy about it. So as I as I told you off air, We've got this new series going on right now in which we're trying to get a different look at how people achieve white tail success. You know, rather than asking people, you know, where do you put your tree stands? What's your favorite time of year to hunt? You know, rather than those kind of like surface level questions, I'm trying to kind of look under the hood, like see like what are the things going on in the best of the best white tail hunter's minds that help them have so much success. So those those are the kinds of questions I'm going to run you through today. It's going to be a little different, so hopefully you're up for a change of pace. That's I'm good, always up for a change of pace, all right. So so what I want to kind of start with is a little bit of an understanding about how you.
Speaker 3: Define success.
Speaker 1: So really to take us off simply that under how do you define deer hunting success for yourself?
Speaker 3: For me, it would be.
Speaker 4: Harvesting the animal that I set my goal out for. I'll know in advance, know the animals that I'm going to be hunting, and actually getting on those deer and getting them on video. You know, we have the show White til Addictions now, So a successful hump would be target book on video and getting good, good footage self filming. So that's where I'm at in my days.
Speaker 1: Now, is there any scenario in which you don't kill a buck but you would still view it as a success?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it would be a success. So I have multiple tags, multiple states. No, I guess for me it's it wouldn't be success. And last, sexually, there was an you know that deer on video at the end of the at the end of the season, fair enough, so I know that I can discuss failure.
Speaker 1: Well, that's my next question is, how do you define deer hunting failure?
Speaker 4: A full season, over one hundred days of chasing around a deer, getting your opportunity and blowing a big time, which was one of the worst scenarios I've had in a lot of years. Happened to me last year, and I still normally can it off, get it over with. But the scenario, the situation I was in in any other year, any other year's past, there's no way this's deer would have made it out of there. And I hit the steering high over the spine and that living. So that's a big failure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's brutal. So how do you what do you do with that? Like, after that happens, how do you process it? How do you try to come back from that?
Speaker 4: The weird thing is that I always go back and replay what happened in my mind time and time again, and as long as I come up with the same scenario, I wouldn't have done anything different. It just whatever happened happened. You know, I got locked down with another huge buck. You know, I h pretty low, so I'm twelve feet off the ground and there's another deer that's basically got an idea. Something's up, and it's within ten yards of the stand, staring straight straight through me, and I'm facing him, and the other buck is like an eight yards to the right of me, and I got to go from there now and get to that deer before it gets on behind some pines and out of the scenario. And it was like I was just locked down, froze up. Like normally I just would not even pay attention to another deer. I would just make the move and go to shoot that deer. But this thing goes literally I were a head net down and I get away with murder on it.
Speaker 3: The deer look my.
Speaker 4: Way, but they don't basically see me or can't figure out what I am. But being so close and solo, I figured I just play it out and at some point in time you'd just take a turn the other way with his head or give me that little opportunity to ship my butt on a stand and get quartered on that. So this deer was on my you know, octually, on my week's side and starting to get buy me, and it's I literally had to at the last minute just jump up, swing around and stand, lean out and get a shot.
Speaker 3: Off before it got between two pines.
Speaker 4: So and whenever I do that and I lean right, I always end up shooting shooting high.
Speaker 3: But that's what happened.
Speaker 4: I can't even go back to the same spot on the ground and look at the stand site and everything, and it's like, how the hell did this? Did this even happen to me? So yeah, I belong and short, but that was a big failure. That was my main target buck. I did chase around some other deer, but I mean I was just on him like a hound all year, all over the property, and all boils down to one one minute, you know the song, and I blew it on this one.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, Do you have any.
Speaker 1: Favorite failure in the past, Like, is there another failure you can think of in your history of deer hunting that ended up really helping you, that you ended up really learning from.
Speaker 3: Could you tell me about that.
Speaker 4: I don't know a failure, but I a deer I shot in Wisconsin many years ago. I ended up being like the number two in the state. I almost closed the deal in that deer the year before. He was probably one seventy ish, actually was one seventy fourth some with on his sheds anyhow, But I mean it was literally within a second or movement that the deer just decided to turn back around head in a swamp. But if I had to kill that deer, I never killed the deer at you know, one hundred and eighty nine inches, So that that's a failure. And I talk about that a lot sometimes a lot of those, you know, those deer that you.
Speaker 3: Don't get or tie into.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's nice that you're fourth now to let that deer get a year bigger, and sometimes they do get bigger than a round for you to hunt.
Speaker 3: So that one worked out for me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there any deer like that that got away for one reason or another, whether you know, bad luck or a mistake on your part or something. Has there been any one of those that got away that then you learn from a dramatic.
Speaker 4: Way, Oh, learned a lesson on getting away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or something about that hunt that even though it didn't end up well that year, because of that hard lesson, you learned you killed that deer in the next year, or you killed a lot of deer in the subsequent decades. I've made a few screw ups in the past, that man, it cost me that deer, But I never made that same mistake again, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh that way.
Speaker 4: Wise, I'd have to go way way back on in my hunting career, probably to to find otes, because there was tons of mistakes that came up to becoming a pretty efficient hunter. Yeah, the things I learned on scent, the things I learned about cam ow and deer's habits, probably helped down the road I've keyed in over the years and over the decades. That complete and utter surprise attack I call it a virgin sit. You're in your best scenario, first time in never been in that stand before, you scoured it out. You got the sign and there's your there's your point right there, and now you ambush. To me, it is absolutely criminal. And this is what happened to me last year, that a deer can get within bow range your stand and get out without getting getting killed. That that should not happen. Everything should be prepared right, you go through your scenario, when you set up your stand, and when you mobile hunt, and you hunt like I hunt. Every stand in every tree is a complete new setup. So there's a little trimming that has to be done on there. Some loomb's going to be pulled out away. You got to play scenarios in your head, so you know it's game time, and a lot of these spots are so I read the sign and I know I'm getting my opportunity tonight. It just happened three years ago to it. There's another one. I actually blue and missed the deer. I've missed the deer in ages and I missed this thing big.
Speaker 3: But I knew I could even tell them.
Speaker 4: I told my wife, I told my friend that there is getting killed tonight, you know from camera, until I got what happened to the Snareriro, He's he's going to come out through that draw. He's been coming out all year checking that scrape, and I'll be there waiting. Well, yeah, you do all that, and if a deer comes in within these these ranges that you can shoot, it's just to me, it's like it's just criminal that you didn't be able to get a chance. Offer excuses, you know, limonoe, which happens, but you learn those hard lessons. But there's always something that can get get thrown at you. But a lot of my setups and my shots are really close range twenty yards and under, so there's really no excuse for me to be missing any animals.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: The one I did miss was a longer poll for me. I don't shoot thirty five yards this year here was so close to you know, you probably stab them with a with a spirit at and that just should not happen. And that that's kind of stuff that kind of hurts, you know. Yeah, And I'm not going to start saying I was playing, but that year I had some really some some major health issues, was burnt out. I have a sleep app in me. I've been slept in probably two years, so I was like I was going to war and having a sleep deprivation, and you know, it was just it was a brutal probably the most brutal season I've I've had over the years last year.
Speaker 3: And and I should.
Speaker 4: End up getting a couple deer on video, but not the one that I really wanted. So yeah, that's things, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I haven't been in that EXAC scenario, but similar, And I know how that feels. You mentioned that when you're setting up a location like that like virgin sits your brand new setup. Every time one of those points that I always struggle, I don't have to struggle with but in the moment, it kind of feels like torture is when you are trying to pick the right tree in that scenario and you're thinking through all the possible things that could happen.
Speaker 3: Well, there could be a deer that.
Speaker 1: Could come down this trail, but there's also a chance that might cross there, and then they might do this.
Speaker 3: You know, how do you approach that decision.
Speaker 4: You're probably overthinking that scenario, and that's probably what I get down to the more brass task. I'm not really an overthinker. The year I killed that real good one in Wisconsin, we finally checked the cameras, me and a buddy who were at the walmart. We put the film in there and also boom, the deer's back and my buddy gets paralyzed.
Speaker 3: You know, he's stuttering, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: I said, I'm getting my ship together. I'm going to that swap and killing him, That's what I said. And he was just lost on He didn't know what to do, you know, so.
Speaker 3: I just go to it.
Speaker 4: I need an animal that's there and then just go after hunt them down, redesigned, just keep on them, and then you know it changes up as the seasons and and different things happened. But if he's there and he's living on the ground, you got uh, there's probably no reason why you shouldn't get at least an opportunity after that, especially the amount of time I hunt and stay on. Now in between that, there's tons of other animals, good animal that are passed up that you run into. The big problem I had last year with that scenarios I was running into and that's something I I guess there's something that I could get a little better on. I'll be scouting around for that animal and I run into something as nice or bigger and I already got like a certain animal kind of close to figure it out where you're getting close, and it's like.
Speaker 3: You know, screw that.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm jumping on this one because it's it's here now in the times right. You know it might be coming from you know, a neighbor's property or whatever. So I'm like a kid in a candy store. And last year was on those years, it was a lot of really nice bucks around and being able to have multiple tags. I'm thinking, you know, cocky sucker, I'm gonna dive in here for two days kill this one, and then I'll get back on that one.
Speaker 3: You know. I type of thinking that by the time.
Speaker 4: You get back to the other one, things are changing up and moving and you got to start reworking it. So I put on a ton of pressure on these animals. But the spot that I picked to set up is I read all that sign going in right to about where I think it's going to happen, and then from there on, from where that deer is going to be coming through to there, he ain't got a clue until he gets has to get by me, and then he, you know, get the scent of all the shit that had to happen or me walking around. And I never let other deer, like you were just talking about what if something comes this way or this scenario. I focus in on that dear, and I don't give a shit about anything else. I don't care about screwing up other deer on the way in. I don't you know, if I got that one pinned down, I know where he's coming.
Speaker 3: To and going from.
Speaker 4: I just focus, stay focused like a laser on that that scenario, you know, So I don't let a lot of other stuff cloued my mind.
Speaker 1: And do you look do you when you're setting it, when you're picking a spot or setting up your stand, do you have like one place Like me, my highest probability of where I think that buck's going to come through is like this one spot, and then you set up one hundred percent for that and say like, that's what he's going to do, and I will be perfectly prepared for that.
Speaker 3: The rest of the possibilities be dan, is that your pros.
Speaker 4: On that on that particular day and that set up that I read the sign and I pick it, I don't.
Speaker 3: I tried that years ago. Try to hog yeah, big areas, yep, to be able to shoot out further.
Speaker 4: Put an extra pin on my will cover, you know, sixty yards instead of forty or thirty five yards.
Speaker 3: You know both way.
Speaker 4: When I say thirty five yards, I mean the whole swatch, not thirty five this way, thirty five that way. And it's always come back to bite me. And the one thing I've learned over the years is I picked the fricking spots. These deer ended up coming right in right to my almost like a deer magnet to come right to where I when coming. So it's you know, fifteen yard shot on animal that size, you know, you put a pin on his chest, there's a lot of area around.
Speaker 3: It's very very easy to get it done, you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I don't do that trying to cover you know, major spots, so that I kind of focus in on one good kill, get the wind right there, everything's perfect. Sometimes I'll offer a little further away if I think the I get right on the edge of a bad wind or when that could be crucial. So you just want to I want to set up the best opportunity for me to get a shot at that deer. And that's all you u is that one opportunity I call it, you know, capture in one moment in time, that's all it takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So so I got to believe that thirty forty years ago, it probably was harder for you to know that perfect spot, perfect time, perfect setup. I'm sure there's been a lot of evolution for you there. And I'm curious if you were to look back over all the years, over all the decades you've been doing this, is there any single change you made or choice you made that has made like a huge impact on your success that took you from an okay deer hunter to a great deer hunter. Was there any shift that you made at some point that was like that fork in the road.
Speaker 4: I think it was a slow burn all the way I was a trapper. I really look at things different. I'm look suck sick. I really tear apart and dissect everything, whether it's mechanical or in the field or sign that I read, and I'm really attuned to it. So even years ago, I was a big field edge hunter. I could go walk a field edge could be an eighty yard or eighty acre open fields. I could walk the whole edge and just about be on the right trail with the biggest buck coming out and get my get my cracker, get an opportunity. I didn't capitalize all of it because I wasn't all that greater shot. I still need that greater shot, to tell you the truth, which I'm going to work on this year. I got a new white and I'm going to start start practicing a little bit more. I know I was never one for I'm not a guy that likes to shoot bowls for archery. But I would say the biggest thing that I've learned over the years is this is not a team sport. Hunting white tail at a bowl is a it's a lone wolf sport. And the more guys going in, the more guys munning up the water, just like with me and my son.
Speaker 3: Now we hud a lot of same properties.
Speaker 4: He's got all the tools I got, but I don't know what he's doing or where he went. I know exactly where I went. I went covered the whole forty acres, ran all over. I know everywhere I stepped, everywhere I went everywhere. I kind of burged it up. So I want to get my virgin sit. I might be sitting on a virgin sit that I think is a virgin sit, and he might have been running around just inside that all over. I might have been the opposite, right, and we're kind of messing each other up, so we'd like to You know, you're gonna hunt the north.
Speaker 3: Side today, you go.
Speaker 4: Don't come burning up and reading all the signs on my side and then go hunt the north side.
Speaker 3: Just here. I gotta take my area now.
Speaker 4: As the day goes by, or if it's a couple of days, then it's it's everything. Every day is a new day, so you go read it. And I used to laugh to on the lease. I had an ILLINOI I was so much all over that, chasing these deer around and just staying on their asses. These big bucks would come out and they literally had a look in her face like where the hell is this guy today?
Speaker 3: Type of look like I know he's in here, and they just they're.
Speaker 4: They're moving through this property because they live there and they gotta and I would be putting that type of pressure on them, so really aggressive now, more of a control aggression. I think I know a little bit more than I knew. In the past. My curiosity was always the peak of while I learned a lot of poking around, getting a little too close. I don't know how many times in my career I've literally walked within five ten feet of a huge bucks stealing their beds. And then I was just ready to seen what I want to see im. I was just ready to like turn around and leave, and I turned the opposite way. I'd fricking run face to face right up with these damp things. They'd make eye contacts and they just bust out of their gone. So that's that was the thing I had to You know, you never know how far you could take it.
Speaker 3: You take it too far. Well, that's taken a little fire.
Speaker 4: But some of these deer they get up, they get up early enough, but they don't move out of a little safety area. And if you're out of that little zone, you might as well be a couple hundred yards away because you're not killing him until they get out and.
Speaker 3: Move out of there.
Speaker 4: So seasons changed, at weather, it's changed at there's a lot of things. So you just work those those scenarios in.
Speaker 3: At least.
Speaker 4: I'm to the point now that I really ever second doubt any anything I see, you read, or my setups. Again, same scenario that I did there. You know, I should have did this, I could have did that. I probably would have just had to handle it the same and maybe fake could have took over and did something different. But I don't feel I made the wrong move. I just feel I failed in my completion of that task.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a couple of inches off, you know, make all the difference. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what about you know, it sounds like that was a slow burn over many years, You've gotten to this point now where you just so much confidence in your instincts. Has there been any recent change, like, has there been any recent new belief or idea or habit you've picked up on in the last like five years or so, that's made a big difference for you.
Speaker 4: No, because actually, well so I kind of backed I backed off. I've hunted all my life, every year, harvested deer every year in the last ten years, I think I kind of I mean, when I went out of Howard, I was hunting out of state, doing a lot of hunts, really aggressively, going after deer. I normally wouldn't even hunt a property that didn't have a caliber deer that I wanted. I've done that. I've waited around, you know, deer't Sometimes something different will show up here. But there's nothing worse than hunting. You know, I got all this land, all this these acres to hunter. There's not a deer on there you'd want to hunt. It's that's horrible. It's like being in prison. So I've done that a couple and you shouldn't do that every If you want to shoot whatever you want to shoot, you should be on a trail in the woods, on a trail where an all at Kellerber's moving through. Imagine that the success you'd have of hunting forty fifty days out of a season. If every setup you're basically pretty close to being in the game, it brings your numbers way through the roof. I went down to Illinois last year for the first time a lease and hunted, had some cameras out, had some of the other guys, until there was a huge buck there.
Speaker 3: Went down just what I was knowing.
Speaker 4: I drove a little too deep in, but I set up and I almost played it safe on this one. I picked the tree because of the wind one off. If I'd have picked the original tree, the one that I should have, I killed the two hundred and twenty in frickin' buck. So I had to sit in the video and watch him. And the problem with that is i'd never done is either I was going to go there, harvest a decent one on video, get back to the buck, and I know what that I wanted to chase this one that I missed. So now that scenarios I'll for a whole day. Now I got a deer there that if I'm hunting there, it's like him or nothing. So as you know, now it's a struggle between do I run to Illinoy to shoot that one, or do I go back to Iowa to chase this one, and I hate that scenario because I just excited. I wanted to go there, take a decent bucket on video, and get the hell out and get back to work here and stay on it. So I did come back and I kept hunting here, and I think I ended up there a late season, earned the rut for a little bit, hoping to get that that deer disappeared. I ended up I think on a neighbor's property. I know, doing a certain scenario. But it's like, now you're you know that you're going there. Chances are not real good that you're going to get an opportunity coming in for a weekend here there to get a shot at that deer again, especially with like five or six other guys hunting and then neighbors and that. So you did it because you you might get a crack at it. But I wanted to stay on that one deer that was the one I really wanted a goal, So I spent most of my time on that buck there. It's it's a love hate type of thing, you know. It's it's almost like it gets it's more of a it's not a fun type und I know a lot of guys enjoy hunting, and it's a lot of fun for him. It's last year was the most AGNI magnifying. How can I even describe it? I mean, I literally, I shouldn't even say this, but I literally passed out a couple of times in the woods, literally physically was just spent completely out of gas.
Speaker 3: And I just, uh, I just pushed on. I just pushed right on through it and kept on it. Uh. And I was getting soregressed.
Speaker 4: I was getting down in prime time hunting at eight o'clock in the morning and just scouting like a maniac. And I was coming up with all kinds of other nice deer, different deer and scenarios.
Speaker 3: So I was really I.
Speaker 4: Guess I was trying to rush it really a lot last year. I wanted to get a couple of good ones down, you know, our fortieth was coming in there on a kind of big year for the show and stuff, and I really was I.
Speaker 3: Probably took it a little too a little too fast.
Speaker 4: My normal mode is an aggressive kind of methodical deal, and I think I was really almost in a hurry to get something shot, move on to the next and and move on, which I shouldn't have done. I should have stayed focused on on that one deer.
Speaker 1: Do you do you have any specific ways you're going to try to dress things differently this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well this year myself.
Speaker 4: Issues have been all back in line now, uh, working out a getting back and getting back in shape the age deal. I can't I come to the assumption last year. Last year I grew old. I mentally basically submitted to I'm not the guy that I used to be. I'm not Cody anymore running around top physical shape.
Speaker 3: I mean I got a lot of jury.
Speaker 4: I think I run a lot of guys thirty forty years old on the ground he was still to this day. But I'm not the the machine that I was in the past, and I just I had a that was a big hurdle to mentally accept that this is the next step down now, so you're gonna have to hunt a little smarter. I guess I'm still I should I put in. I started in freaking Kentucky in a hundred degree weather. I think I had one hundred and over one hundred days of morning and evening sets plus scouting every day. I mean I was running myself completely freaking into the ground and then not sleeping on top of it or even good you know. So that's gonna stop next year. So I've decided I can't do that anymore. So hopefully I could pick out a good deer to chase. Hopefully there's not a bunch of different ones that can be pulled different directions, and I can stay focused and stay stay on.
Speaker 3: That one task, you know, and then move on from there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if now that you are kind of in this new phase where maybe you can't hunt quite as hard as he used to, but you mentioned you want to hunt smarter, maybe what does that look like?
Speaker 3: Like? What what's an example of how you might actually put that into action? This year, I'll have.
Speaker 4: To make decision that if there's two good deer, I can't be running all over, running down in Illinois for a couple of days, running back up here, running Wisconsin, you know, run around like a chicken my head chopped off, or a kid in the candy store. I'm gonna have to try and stay focused on now that dear is back here this year, that'll trump probably something even bigger anywhere else because now there's a there's a debt to be paid and I think that dear ows me an another crack. So I want to stay on that deer. Hopefully it doesn't get killed by somebody else or whatever. But I'm praying at the deer's back on the property that can stay focused on him, and again that he's as big as he was.
Speaker 3: Or or maybe bigger.
Speaker 4: But again, I think that one from Illinois is back too, So it's going to be a who knows what the hell that thing to turn into? Uh this year, but this one's going to be number one on my my list here, So stay focused day on this one, get the job done on this and then from there you can go take it easy and hunt another state, or or go hunt another a different buck, you know. So okay, but there will be less days in the woods. Probably there will be less days and there, you know, but probably still from opener right on through to late that I basically will be be in that field every every day that I can.
Speaker 1: So how do you how do you maintain that? Like, how do you maintain stamina? How do you maintain that level of pushing it without losing focus, without losing energy and passing out?
Speaker 3: Like you like you talked about well after you, I couldn't.
Speaker 4: Like you said, I had some major major issues with the sleep appen and things of that nature. So in a normal type of uh A year, I I just maintain I've diden't like that all my life. We'd want we'd run wind sprints in the football team, and I'd be the last guy freaking running. Everybody else to be puken and done, and I just keep keep going. I just had that kind of energy. And I love to be in the woods. I can't stand sitting still in a tree stand and sit in one spot. I need to see what's over the next hill, what's around the next bend, what's up the river. I'm a constant information junkie. I need all kinds of pieces of puzzles in my mind. I have to be able to visualize it and see it in a stand. If I can't, That's why I can't run into a span a preset stand. I even want to look around a little bit on a preset to make sure that the signs there. And I've been in trees already that I jumped in and was going, and it's like I'm taking my binocier if to look and see Jesus christis is it's hot enough here, Am I wasting a freaking night or a sit? And you think, what all the time I have in the woods, that wouldn't be an issue to waste it. Uh, But one day gone is a day that can't be taken back, and that that's an excess the numbers of times you sit, the numbers of times you sit in the right spot. So I'm always you know, if I'm scouting and setting up and in a tree, that tree is the right tree for that day and that win in the game. I've had numerous friends years ago down in Illinois. They all just jump up in a tree that I just left or dead and left, and they go in there and shoot one hundred and fifty sixty inch buck out of the amp thing and they're happy as in a lark. And I'm I'm seeing him, and I'm moving on. I'm moving on tour. You know, the one that I'm looking for, he's not there. So I'm kind of squeezing her down and checking other areas. And I've been well the start of all this, I've had so many guys. You know, back in the day, it was uh, you know, hun high and stay the hell outter and give him safe zones.
Speaker 3: I don't give anything a safe zone.
Speaker 4: If that deer is living on that ground, he's gonna have to contend with me coming after him.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I'll do a slow, slow set up a couple of times on an evening post, trying try and work it where you know, I always said, if you find where he sleeps, you could kill him, right, So if you got that piece of that information at betting where he's at, I mean, the further out you get from that, it's a big it's a it's a tougher to get them sort of closer, and the more intimate you can get on that, your chances are better. So you've heard of these two three day cycles on Bucks where you guys will see him every two three days. Well, guess what, dude, there's a there's an everyday cycle somewhere, and if you can find that spot and be on that edge, your percentages come up. He might be on another property you can't get to, but he may be somewhere you can. And then you want to be You want to be in the game and get your crack. You know, there's nothing worse than knowing where dere's at having him there and got your backpedal, and don't even you never get up the back. You never get to take a swing, you know. So yeah, that's tougher guys. That's like diving on a cold water. Guys really find it difficult to do some of the things I do. It's like they just can't get theirself to get They think they're going to just mess it up for.
Speaker 3: Good, you know.
Speaker 4: And and I thought that way years ago. There's a big hat that one off. I mean, the more I did it, the more my success went up. The more aggressive I got, the more deer I jumped, the more I bumped, the more I got into the game. I was covered up with deer constantly all year, when other guys were just flatten kno October lull or just not seeing the deer because they're just they're just not they're not going to chase, they're not hunting them there, they're waiting. They're waiting for the deer to basically come to them instead of you going to the deer. So well, you might you might have just answered my next question.
Speaker 1: But but feel free to go a different direction if you want to.
Speaker 3: But my next question is going to be what is an.
Speaker 1: Unusual habit or belief that you have that most other deer hunters think is absurd or crazy, but you know helps you as a deer hunter.
Speaker 3: Would it be what you just described or is there something else? They always come back.
Speaker 4: Guys think they bought these big deer and they go leave somewhere, they go nocturnal, they start playing the gamest, running circles around you. But if you are hunting in their home range, you're not burning them out of there.
Speaker 3: And I'm not.
Speaker 4: Here's where they might be a little different different. I'm hunting the top dog, the dominant bucks.
Speaker 3: Now some of them that are.
Speaker 4: When I say they're the dominant, they're the kingpin in an area. There might be a deer there that's more aggressive and as dominant, but they are a dominant bucking area. They get their areas where they feed, they get the breed, they get the best of it. That's their home. They're not leaving because of you know, another buck. You see these studies about that, they're talking about these deer that the ranges that they got put these collars on.
Speaker 3: Those are two and a half year old buck.
Speaker 4: A two and a half year old buck can't find a place to bet anywhere. Every knob it goes on, it gets it's ass kicked by three and a half four and a half year old buck. So they got to go wander around and go find where they want top dog. These big deers I hunt, they are in them same betting areas for different wins, and they they work for them, and that's where they are, and that's that's there. Nobody else gets to that best spot.
Speaker 3: They get it.
Speaker 4: So I find those best spots that I get it. It could be just a property like this is a square mile. You could have all your books on one section of it. You can be hunting on the other section. There's still could be decent signing that, but you're not seeing shit, and it's they're not there.
Speaker 3: You got to go to where the deer are.
Speaker 4: And when you're going into where the deer are, you end up seeing a lot of deer in the morning, bumping them all, bumping deer.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to go hunt. It's too noisy. I pray to God that I'm bumping all kinds of shit when.
Speaker 4: I'm because I know him the game. I'm in a bunch of deer. Then I don't want to go to somewhere it's like a ghost town. There's you know, no signs and tracks and waiting for it to happen. That's a different type of hunter. When it gets into the rout, you can do some crazy stuff like that, but and then an rotch, you got to go with some old school I read sign, I stay on sign, and I believe, well, my eyes are telling me I don't. I don't all the stuff you read years past, and you know, they say you can't do this, you can't do that.
Speaker 3: I've never was a big guy to follow that.
Speaker 4: I just cut it on my own and I learned it on my own, and it's a lot of that stuff just I don't know what you'd call it, but I know what works, and I'll stick with what's working for me.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, what what would you say is your very most important habit, whether it's in your daily life or during hunting season. What's that thing that you always have to do over and over and over again for you to be effective for hunting deer. I mean, maybe it's something in your regular life that maybe isn't obviously helps you.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's whatever I'm doing, whatever I'm thinking about, whatever I'm I'm designing a lot of products. I do things that there's a whole half of that brain that while I'm doing all that, is always thinking white tail and where the next thing is and what you know, where that deer travel last year, what he did, what time he was coming out at this time of the year, and certain things. Was he was he one to just bust loose? He's really a big deer. Uh weather over anything. You know, get a good cold front coming and ship. It changes the scenario on that when that, you know, I pray for a season that the NBA temperature is colder than it normally, is not one of these hot, horrible seasons that it's uh so, I'm thinking this all out my mind all the time. That's all I think about is you know, his deer. I don't go out and do a lot of messing around now. I don't need to because even when I'll have intel on cameras and then I'm still I'm still a scouur constantly all year early season, reading the sign what's going on, and uh yeah, your head's always in the game. It's always thinking of and you're thinking bigger. Okay, where am I going to have an opportunity at the biggest deer. This here, nothing on this ground. So I got to leave this for debt until some cameras something pops up and I go. I go to the biggest and sometimes there aren't bigger than your you're looking for, and it's then you settle for the next best one, or settle to get a good video, or however it is. But I've always been one to just stay focused to quick story. So years ago Adam Hayes came to me and some other people to start a hunting show, and I told them, I says, this aint. This is how a white Tail addictions actually came about. I am going to run into a deer I want, and I ain't killing any deer that year. I'm gonna stand that you're not gonna get any kills out of me. I can't run a six different states and shoot media or box just to get them on film. I'll go there and I'll shoot some decent deer that are worthy of shooting. But if I got something i'm looking for, my season's done. Like this one here, I would have been locked up the whole season.
Speaker 3: Burn.
Speaker 4: You ain't gonna get no show out of me. So we made a decision to make a show about our customers, which are all great hunters, and they submit footage and we get kills out of them. You know, you get one kill out of me, maybe maybe two. And then now you got to show a full of a bunch of kills because there's a bunch of guys hunting. Some of these other guys that you know, this whole shows on them. They're running around just shooting just for entertainment, you know, mediocre bucks and then try to look excited about it when.
Speaker 3: They're doing it.
Speaker 4: It's it wasn't going to happen. So I'm still like that to this day. I just want to I want what I want. And when I first shot my popen, first Pope and young, it became a numbers game.
Speaker 3: And I don't know why. In my mind, I was always an athlete, and.
Speaker 4: When there's a bar and a goal the set, you know, you work different. You're you're not scattered all over the place. And uh, I started hunting bigger deer and if there wasn't a bigger deer on that property, then I just didn't hunt. And I went until I found a property or a spot that had the bigger deer, then I'd hunt it, kill it. Then it would be bigger, and then I'd have to go. I might go back to the other property had a bigger one. And I've said a numer times, but I think I didn't set it on podcasts, But people a lot of people don't know from from one twenty five and like an eighth my first deer, all the way up to that first boon and crocket, the score the deer I harvested every year never went backwards. It went up every deer that was killed every year with a little bigger, a little bigger score, a little bigger score.
Speaker 3: One year I passed up a buck hunting and or was like one fifty five class deer three different times just to shoot a one sixty. I already had it one fifty five, So it's like, what do you out of your mind shoot that?
Speaker 4: I only get one take. So if I'm want I'm a gold cetter, this is what I want. Then it got to the point where I shot that first one hundred and seventy and shannimal and then it was like then another light bulb went off, Wow, this is kind of nice. You know, this is another level and now, and you start just looking for one seventy plus, you know, and then you get to the point where you're running. You're running the openers, not a lot bigger, or the chances of being bigger on the ground you have.
Speaker 3: It's not real great. I'm lucky enough that we have some.
Speaker 4: Good properties that produce some real slammers just about every year, so there's something there to excited about. I traded it all back for the first I wish I had that rack here I haven't. In a garage I can show you. I just went and did a big around. I got my first first white tail buck with a bowl. It was I don't even know if you can put a score on it if it was sixty inches. It was an eight pointer that you could put a grapefruit in its rack. And I didn't give a shit about big deer back then. I loved I wanted to shoot any deer and I loved that. And that whole time on public land going up to them deer instead of getting into that one forty class. It was just awesome. I just was hooked on it. Didn't get about it until it got about score. Then I started getting about more of a work type of thing. There was a scenario. I was up north Honting public land and there was a non typical.
Speaker 3: It was a first virgin snow of the year.
Speaker 4: Went in and in the woodlot there was a two bucks chasing the door rum. One was a tiny little buck off the quarter of the big the big non typical ganting around. It was just about toppling over the immensity of that deer. Probably would have been it would have been a state record at that time. And at that time I seen two deer chasing around a dog.
Speaker 3: That's all that was. And literally I shot the smaller one when they came by.
Speaker 4: The smaller one claimed coles and I shot it. If that scenario ever happened like today or later on in my career, I would have went and moved up north and never came back seeing my wife and kiss until that deer. I'd hunt that deer to the ends of the earth. And things have changed. So that's how it is now. It's it's yeah, it's not about just the enjoyment of harvest and the deer which you're bowing at. It turned into harvesting good animals. And I like I like a challenge. I do like a challenge. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Just topples over.
Speaker 4: So it's nice on there's one kind of out witting you and out smart and you or out lucking you.
Speaker 3: Maybe I don't know what the word is, but something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, you gotta remember there's forty years that I saw. There's a lot of different scenarios that went through the whole deal with since the whole thing, with all this rattling and all this other stuff, and it all just boiled back that I learned what I learned, you know, and I stuck with what was learning.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I know, guys who rattled your ear, I can rattle, and I tested rattling. I can rattle in tons of books for the ones I want. It just seems like your best opportunity for me is when they ain't got a clue and they step into a setup.
Speaker 3: They just do not have a clue that somebody's.
Speaker 4: There on top of them, and then they get to make that mistake of just coming through that day.
Speaker 3: You know. But yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: I learned a lot over the years.
Speaker 1: So well, you know, Andrea, there's so many people I've talked to over the years who point to you as being someone that they look up to or that they've learned a lot from that they view as, you know, an elite deer hunter.
Speaker 3: And I'm curious, is is there.
Speaker 1: Anybody that you look to or that you have learned from, or someone that you look as like, Man, that guy is really good and I've learned some stuff from.
Speaker 4: Is there anyone you can I plant to like that say I've learned anything from anybody. But back in the day years ago, I just thought Miles Keller. He had the state record for state of Wisconsin. He's a little older, he was at the shoals. I always kind of admired him. He was killing some really good deer consistently.
Speaker 3: Uh never prescribed to his methods.
Speaker 4: And then there was the guy that turned out to be a and end up Hulks or whatever in Michigan the Umpala. When he was on the scene, I just remember shooting the tiny deer and starting to get into a couple of pop and young's that I thought, to myself, holy shit, this guy is I thought that was amazing that somebody would be out there and that's all they were looking for. One seventy bucks, I though don't even more are state record was one hundred and seventy seven inches, So I said, they're not even out there, you know. So that was the guy that I kind of looked up to that but never you know, thought about or looked about it was his hunting style or what it was like that way, it's just that way wise. But I don't think because I didn't read a lot of magazines, I didn't listen to a lot of people. I basically took the sport up on my own, started out running after deer with a recurve on the ground, flinging arrows, to climbing into trees and finding success more from elevated positions, and just it evolved.
Speaker 3: From where I started.
Speaker 4: So I think a lot of my hunting style and technique now is probably been adopted by all the guys and a lot of guys that I learned that, you know, these all of these guys were younger than me, and I sold in the first stands in that and the guys you're talking about, I actually become friends with and I hunting out just some of these younger crew.
Speaker 3: And it's amazing to me that.
Speaker 4: Like one would kill but like Keith killed a huge book on one of our leases and he told me where I killed it. And it's amazing to me. And I says, I says, how did you access that spot? And he he acts and normal guys, a lot of guys that would have would have not even thought. He said, it was obvious he had to he had to do this and go there. He went the same route that I took to ambush the deer on that same spot.
Speaker 3: That's the spot that you have to access. And he learned.
Speaker 4: He learns that people learned that by just hunting. And then some of the guys that when they first started out, some of the tiny deer they shot, you know, he got he's just going he got uh, justin Hollinsworth. So I visited some of their homes now years later, and I am impressed with the wall. Guys used to come into my house and you know, just about pistol he pants and they stand there in awe uh, and it happened to me.
Speaker 3: So this is how many years have gone by.
Speaker 4: So a lot of these guys have become you know, now they're twenty years in serious hunters. They learned the game and there there's successful every year and they got with work for him and they're doing it.
Speaker 3: Same with them.
Speaker 4: With Cody, I don't know how how it's been probably decades since we've hunted together.
Speaker 3: We have a hundred.
Speaker 4: He fucking ran off, excuse my language, ran off and own and was doing his own deal. And I remember I follow in law came out to the houses and he was over by Cody. He's looking in his living room and he's and these are some pretty nice deers. And then he came over my house. He was in the living room and I'm standing there watching this guy in the middle of the living room looking up in there, and he's like, I said, what the hell's problem? You know, like he was like just dumb phoning his boys. Was some decent deer over, but holy shit, these are really big deer because of the caliber. I had the same moment a couple of years back, as Cody had been stacking up on his own and doing his own hunting and not having the money for taxing him, and he's had racks sitting around. All of a sudden, he's getting them done. And I walked in his living room and I was impressed of the caliber and the amount of deer in the wall, and I was impressed with friends of mine, my own son. So there's guys that really stepped up to the plate and they are doing it, and a lot of them I think kind of adopted some of the technique that I had years ago, which is good to me. It's it's great, but stay off to have you know, we're on the same least now it's not so great. So yeah, they're kind of doing the same kind of thing. That's getting a little crowded, you know. So yeah, but no, I appreciate that, uh that dad is there, But yeah, I didn't come from hunting background. I came from a family that didn't hunt, so I really didn't have a father to teach me all the wrong lessons.
Speaker 3: I basically went and learned them all on my own. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, with all these people, we're kind of referencing all these best deer hunters that you've now surrounded yourself with. What's what's maybe one of the most common traits or mindsets that all of these best deer hunters all have, Like, can you point to something that is consisting across all of those best of the best people.
Speaker 4: Well, their whole life's revolve a wrong white tail hunting. I met some of their wives. You're a different this is a different breed of guy. I mean, there's a lot of guys that are hunters out there. There's decent hunters. They hunt every year to hunt a lot. But there are people that choose their career, choose their life, choose their partners around whitetail hunting. That's one thing when you get bit by that bug and then you get some success and they're smart enough to know, you go where the.
Speaker 3: Big deer are.
Speaker 4: You know, there's the big public hunting versus private deal. You know, I hunt public lan, I hunt private there are some world class deer on public land. I go to where the big deer are, don't. I would never go to an area that's got a shitload of guys in hunting that mess. It's it's just a waste of time. So two years ago there was a guy that we know here in Iowa. He had pictures of three bucks on public land that he was hunting within probably an hour and a half of our arm and the three deer were bigger, three bigger deer than any of the biggest deer we had on our farm.
Speaker 3: So they're there if you're firing him.
Speaker 4: But now he's going to have to contend with a bunch of guys to travel and all that. So you got to have a spot that's got him. And then you got to know how I'm going on. All of these guys are portable hunters here and they're gone tomorrow. They read sign and they set up accordingly, and they're not afraid to move in uh and make the make the move to to finish it off. So some a little more aggressive than others, but they've they've honed their trade over the years. I mean, they've been doing this for for decades too. And and you start out little, like I said, you should see the you're gonna see some of the pitchers in this forty year of the tiny little three point little bucks that I killed and I loved every minute of that.
Speaker 3: That was the start of it all. Christ guy's seeing you sitting into the north woods with a recurve for for for deer and they're like they thought you were. Are you out in your mind or your nuts? You know what?
Speaker 4: Are you chasing deer? A owing them what ball? I mean, that's I just love to do it, you know. So now that it's a whole well, you know though, this is huge. It's like everybody in their brothers hunting now and it's it's getting a little crowded, you know, so.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you're more successful hunters. You know.
Speaker 4: Adam Hayes, he started a whole thing with two hundred. I remember him meeting him on the show.
Speaker 3: Young kid.
Speaker 4: He look like he just barely out of high school and he's out trophy. I've seen the stand he flipped over and bought one and and then got to you know, every year he'd come back and seen some of the nice year that he was shooting. He goes after big deer and the guys sit back watch. He's an observer. That's another thing that some of these guys are. I'm the same way. He got to be like a big buck. They sit back and they observe what's going on, and you got to sit back and kind of read what's going on, and like a binoc Here's most important piece of equipment for me. I mean, I have to not wage the day on post where you might get a glimpse of something and not see what it was. That just just I just get living on that. When that happens, I couldn't get the box up quick that could have been when I was after slipping out the back and I missed it, you know, or if you're sitting there and you can't see it, same thing. You know, you're you're there hunting, trying to get some intail to move in on these animals.
Speaker 3: So and a lot of these.
Speaker 4: Guys are I'm gonna have to say that they might have started out as killers, but a lot of them are hunters now. They literally are hunting specific animals, uh. And they're going after that that dear, and if it's not there, they goes to another specific big animal they go at. You know, at some point time you got to fill the wall at a bunch of deer just to just to make it impressive.
Speaker 3: But I never was about the numbers.
Speaker 4: You know, if everybody ever realized a mount in the caliber deer that I've passed over the years is just I got video you'll see in this fourth one of a Boon and crocket and that boone and crocket that I passed up twice on video back in the day, And what are you crazy?
Speaker 3: Why'd you do that?
Speaker 4: Because I had one tag and there was one hundred and eighty and twelve point running around That's why I did it. So those are things that you got to make personal decisions on. Whether you're chasing around two hundred inch bucks one seventies so world classroof, you just want to fill the freezer with meat, have at it, man, enjoy the enjoy the day.
Speaker 3: You know. I see a lot of these guys going back to recurves too.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not ready to get caught with a recurve in my hand and a world record typical stepping out.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not that guy, So we'll wait on that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of world record typicals, I know, at one point, you know, you've been pursuing that absolute top, top, top tier. I know you had state records and things like that, and from what I understand you, you've backed away from that a little bit to where now you're killing the best thing around.
Speaker 3: But what would happen Andre.
Speaker 1: If you did get wind of the buck that you really truly did believe was, Man, this could be the new world record typical or something like that, I'd be all over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, so you'd be all over it. What so I believe the start out with I've been in the game.
Speaker 4: Two different times of two different bucks that I believe would have beat the typical bowl world record two different bucks, and I got beat at them both. But when that comes on and that's it, it's I moved out of my state to another state to pursue that.
Speaker 3: So that's what I did.
Speaker 4: I left my family behind and everybody, and I went and moved to another state to chase a world record typical. That was my ultimate dream was to get a crack at or a shot at And you know what the chances are in the miracle of a guy even in the game for bloone and crockets, but let alone a world record tipic. But that's like, that's like win a lot of I guess I won a lotto twice because I had one on this property and I own when I first moved here that I believe would have been right there, and I want of Illinois definitely would have been. So in a career or forty years, I was on a two different bucks. I believe they've been at caliber now. I was on a lot of bucks. I screwed up one after I shot that one in Wisconsin the year after I almost killed the non typical state record Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: I fucking missed the damn thing.
Speaker 4: At fifteen yards, the thing dropped its belly on me and went over the top, and that deer was just I started thinking to myself, how the hell am I even doing this? How am I even in the game with all these things? And man, if I kill that dear and against, somebody's gonna think I'm up to no good or some shit. I'm just I'm staying on it, going to where the big deer are. When I find big deer, I go knock on doors, I get permission, whatever I gotta do, I gotta go. I want to be in the woods with caliber deer that I want to shoot. Then I'm happier than happy to sit a whole hundred days in a row and just chase them around and maybe not even get them. At least I'm in the game, you know, I can't stand not being in the game. So you had two chances of deer like that in the past and they won. Let's say you get chance number three. So there's a third deer that that you get wind of and you have an opportunity. Yet, what's the biggest thing that you would do different than you did the first two times around? Oh, I don't know if I could say there be anything different I gotta get so now is this on a piece that I have, or now I got wind of it where it's on somebody else's ground, I got to get access to r That's gonna be a goofy scenario. I have to say, I hate them, say that my friends that hate me, But if they ended up being one on a property that I have, that'side least none of you guys are getting on for the year, go find another spodcast. And so there would be that I might even have to tell my son, if it's it's my ground, then it's access. This is this is what I've been here this whole life to do. It's gonna be one on one with me, and I don't I don't want anybody else around to do it. So that'd be one thing that would be kind of. People might think you're a low life for doing or whatever it is. But I'd give up everything, every minute a time i'd spend just going after that, I'd be I'd be in heaven again. Seventh uh seventh heaven. Trying to get get a crack at that deer. But now you got me all excited at that there might be a chance for me left that I was. I let that water go under the bridge years ago and gave up on that. You know, there's a lot of big deer and I still got access to hunt. But the typical world record and there are you got to be in the right states for and then to be again. You know, there there are caliber now being shot just about an every state that are out there.
Speaker 3: But it's still, dude, there's how many million bow hunters are you in the middle of.
Speaker 4: You talk about the numerical chance of the guy shooting the one seventies is huge, but it doesn't get bigger for a guy who's done it already. It's actually not a big number for him because he's been in that game and now it's just like another might be just another decent deer for it for someone. But but to have a so for me to have another typical world record deer on this property, I would think is would be almost impossible for all those stars to line up and to be here. I mean, never say number. But and the idiot I am last year it wasn't pretty garbage. There was a buck that if it busted off a couple of times, might have been that that caliber. So there are deer out there now that are just amazing where the hell l they go and where they height to. But I guess again, I'm going back to having them on your ground to be able to hunt is going to be. That's going to be like a win and a lotto type of deal, you know. The one that was here was actually passed through my ground very easily, but was on my lease on one side, and it was on a neighbor's ground that I had permission to hunt on another. And that year, for some reason, I burned up my my state tag early, so I was stuck on my ground with my landowner take and I was doing There was a kid, local kid here, trapper that was seeing this year and another piece I could get on like six different times where it was betting them, and I was just dying, I'm gonna get over, you know.
Speaker 3: And the one time he passed through.
Speaker 4: Mike ground, I didn't have a lot of cameras back then, but I seen him and I was I was actually getting down to make a move from their stand and I seen him coming on the ground with a don I went and jumped back in the stand hoping he would just chase that door around and get by me. And he never did, and he ended up on a different piece again. So I had my hands just strapped, you know. So there's a screw up that there's one screw up that we thought about that would never do again. I always look at my tags close. Now which one I'm filling out first, you know, burning up at the state wide tag?
Speaker 3: And also yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned earlier some of the mistakes you may have made in the past, or some struggles you made. You mentioned, you know, maybe shooting maybe being one thing you want to work on coming up. So I'm curious real quick. Let me just throw this out there to have the rest of this. What I want to understand is how you get better at something like when you identify something as like a weakness or an area that you can improve on a little bit, what's your process for getting better?
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's the problem that I probably had, and it's cost me, actually cost me a couple of deer last year or two.
Speaker 3: Equipment. So I don't like to shoot a ball.
Speaker 4: I shoot low pons now, so I don't have to shooting seventy years ago or shooting a rear curve. You had to have your muscles intact, and you have to consistently shoot.
Speaker 3: To be accurate with a bowl, you have to have I would shoot for a week.
Speaker 4: First five days, you're all over the place, your muscles get toned and had seventy pounds on your group in. I don't have to do that anymore or my bolls on. I shoot kind of instinctive through a pin. I can pick up the boat anytime of year and just shoot and group enough to shoot these deer at twenty yards. I found myself in a hunt in Illinois, or I literally and I shot, and I only shoot an arrow. Usually when I'm onto something good, I'll start shooting an arrow, even out of a tree when I leave, or at least one arrow to make sure everything's on. And I checked even the evening before I think I shot, and I pulled my ball up, and the morning I busted my pin off somehow on a step on the way up or whatever, and then I went to shoot and I couldn't find a pin on there and I end up pitting this animal in the neck and shit. And I was just fricking irate that I would let because I did everything. I was supposed to do right, and fate screwed me out of what are the chances.
Speaker 3: In one sit you broke that sit on there? Well, this year, because of my issues with fatigue and all that, my fiber optics were rip out of my sight, and because I don't shoot every day anymore, I didn't even know the fire broctor was out of here.
Speaker 4: I went to try and find that too, and I couldn't blurry vision. Getting older, I need a lens probably on them damn things. And it was horrible. I could tell you a couple of stories about old age I had. I went through a season literally probably legally blind one year, and I still filmed and got good footage and killed. I had the worst cataracts. I was telling my wife. She says, here fullish, you know, she says, blow me off. And I went into a doctor and said, he said, you got the worst cataract I've ever fixt seen.
Speaker 3: So I went. I literally shot out a deer.
Speaker 4: And I hate to tell about all these inconsistency of hitting one low set up on this deer, went up on a hundreds of yards away and set up on the same deer, And a rainstorm came in and I was up there vision shitty, haven't binociers out, and I see a huge buck come up and he's off all his rain and stuff, and man, I'm gonna get some good voters of this thing.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 4: I was trying to look into bnocker as you know what he was, what kind of times, and I just never dawned on me it was that the deer that I was after.
Speaker 3: Literally, I got on video.
Speaker 4: I let that deer come through, walk five yards under my stand and head out, and I could not tell it was even the same deer that I was after. It just because we have a lot of there's a lot of decent big deer here. I went and showed Cody that freaking video and we put it on a laptop now because I was looking on my little phone, and he said, you're you're freaking with me right now, aren't you?
Speaker 3: Just? What do you mean freaking with you? He said that that was the buck that you were after. Im freaking.
Speaker 4: So he blows the damn thing up, and I'm like, son of a freaking bitch. I mean, I can't win the ba Loson. So I went pad surgery the next year. Here's another good story. These guys talk about it. I'd mentioned this before too, and I'm getting old, so I mentioned stories multiple times, but they're complaining about not having their new tree stand for opening day. This guy did surgery on one of my eyes and then I had waited, so opening day I was literally I only had one eye to use and going out of hunting. So finally got them both fixed and and all that. But that same year, I videoed the deer that I was after got out on him because he was not a big amensa brack.
Speaker 3: There was another deer that were around. I wassiming that we're decent.
Speaker 4: Literally I could have had him at fifteen yards and I probably could have shot him, and I thought he was just a smaller small buck.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was literally out there freaking blind.
Speaker 4: And with the amount of years that I went with the camera, I know I can literally video with my eyes closed knock because I can point the camera had a spot and just blow it back out and I got I'm getting great video footage, but it'd be nice to know what the hell you're seeing. So these are all things you're gonna deal with and later on in your life, and it's it's frustrating because if you hunt at the level I do, it's man, you don't want to run out of gas. You don't want to have issues like that. God forbid I ever have to start wearing glasses out in the woods. Again, biggest handicap many hundred whatever have is they have glasses in the woods. These deer spots you from a mile away with that lens on. So right, hang on to hang on to that for a bit. But no, it's a it's a whole whole new game. I don't know how you know. I'll long run it, but I'm gonna run it to the end. They're probably gonna find me that in the ones that'll have bowled my hand still, So.
Speaker 3: Have you got to go? That's not a bad way to go. Oh no, that'd be the wuld be ultimate way to go.
Speaker 1: Actually, a lot of these different challenges you've mentioned, it seems like your approach to dealing with it, your approach to getting better or handling it, is to push through, to just keep working harder, to keep doing things right.
Speaker 4: So we started with the equipment, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, if you want to go, go your trade of thought and I'll go back to that. So what I'm doing different for for that sure.
Speaker 1: So so my next question was going to be and and maybe this will tie into what you're mentioning there, But hard work is a thing that I've heard you kind of bring up, maybe not those exact words, but you've talked about it in different ways, and many many, many other deer hunters will always point back to that way.
Speaker 3: You gotta work hard, you gotta work hard.
Speaker 1: I'm just curious about what that actually means to you, like how you would define hard work, what that what that actually looks like for you, because people hear it and don't necessarily know what it means.
Speaker 3: So when I say it's hard work, it ain't easy. You know.
Speaker 4: I've already found had guys friends that want to shoot their first pop young and I had deer lined up that I could have went and killed. I know where they were at, and I told them where the goal set, and you'll shoot the deer's coming out there every evening on a bean field. There goal sit there, You'll you'll kill it, damn deer. And he's like, well, is there anything any closer or anything? You know, it was a long walk back in from a weird way that it took some work to get in there and la the guy.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't want to do that that type of work.
Speaker 4: But these younger guys nowadays, I'm not going to mention any names that I've seen them and to follow him. They think that it usually go out there and just run all over hellm and put these miles on.
Speaker 3: That that's going to.
Speaker 4: End up killing you a big deer. If you're just running around there and not absorbing anything or learning anything from it. You're just running around like an idiot and putting miles on. And everybody's made those mistakes. I did that years ago, open the Big Woods. I'd go so far deep in thinking I'm getting away way back in the middle of note, This'll be this, gonna be paradise back.
Speaker 3: And then I went so far back in two miles back that I came out some guys backyard and shit on highways that you know, this is area with no highways. I'm like, man, all the big deer are up right where I went in, you know, so read the sign and believe what you see and go at it.
Speaker 4: And there's amount of hard work and do the control deal that I do. Do that roundwork. When I get boots on the ground. I'd do a new property of a perimeter check. It's a muff for me to do a complete perimeter check of a property. I need to get that in my head, a schematic of what's coming and going out with the trails here and there, and then I can go in and everything that I see inside that makes sense in the middle of it. If I go in the middle of it first, nothing that was out there, it doesn't make any sense to me. It's all just random here, random there. You know, try and read your compass or whatever the hell it deals. So these guys that you know that pick the spots with the maps and all that. Now and this, you can't see what I see on a map. And you could pick good spots here from a map on here, a good funnels, and you'd be there and half the season they're ice cold and not a deer movement through it, but they're excellent spots on a certain time.
Speaker 3: You've got to be in real time.
Speaker 4: The most important thing to me is to be in the game when the game's happening, not a day late and a dollar short, as my mom used to say. And there's guys that can do that and there's guys that not They can't read the signer, they don't even realize what they're looking for.
Speaker 3: So that's gonna have to be something you learn to be able to pick. You know.
Speaker 4: I used to always argue about that well buck, big buck spot, big bucks betting areas where that big buck is betting, it could be anywhere. There's no defined area to where it's at. I found him in the craziest fricking places you'd never even think to look, and that's where they're betting. So that's that big buck bettings. Now, maybe next year he dies and it's not maybe another deer moves in. It is so, but some of these haunts that I find on leases and all that, on the lay of the lands, the same, if the winds right and the same, those deer are.
Speaker 3: Going to be there every year.
Speaker 4: Is the biggest spot that you have to go look at. But it might not be the caliber you want. So it's still a good spot. Still could be hunting every year. But now you talk about scrapes and rubs. You know how many scrapes are on this property. If I burned the day just to sit one to see what the buck was coming in That's why I put cameras on always. I need to know that that scrape has a deer I'm after on it. Now it's a whole other game now that scrape is important to me. So there's a lot. And I enjoy scouting and reading, so that's the big thing about it. I love poking around and was that is my even when I trapped, you know, I'd run a trap line up the middle of the river and stuff, and I just enjoyed being out claustrophobic so in the outdoors.
Speaker 3: And the more time spent out there, the better I feel.
Speaker 1: You mentioned hunting something like one hundred days a year. Was that including days that you're just scouting to or is there additional scouting.
Speaker 3: Day every day that I hunt?
Speaker 4: I mean I scout, so I don't do so when I used to years ago, hunting a lot of that public, I would hunt so hard and so often I'd almost be like a marathon runner.
Speaker 3: I need a cool down period. So what I would do after the season, and like you know, back then it was.
Speaker 4: December or whatever, it was snowy cold in Wisconsin, I'd have a cool out period and then what I would do is I would literally get headphones on some John Denver playing in my ears, and I would go to these square mile uh public grounds or some some big areas, and I would go in.
Speaker 3: And just just you know, now you're not hunting.
Speaker 4: You can go anywhere you want, look anywhere you want, and you're not concerned about having a set up here and there. You're just dissecting that area to learn that lay that land better. And that's how it would cool down. And I would enjoy doing that, and I would trap some coyotes and stuff, I mean, foxes back in the day afterwards, just to be able to gear back down. Now in the winter, now you got to go indoors every day and all that ship and to work. It was it was horrible for guys kind of likes to be out there. So even now, I just can't stand the office work. I'd rather be out on a tractor just getting dirty and and sweating up a storm and enjoying the enjoying with life life has to offering.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm right there with you, But yeah, it's what about thinking back on it another part of the Yeah, okay, I just want to go.
Speaker 4: Back to equipment with I guess I'm so rough on that stuff that I need to pay a little more attention to that. I got a good friend who was going to bull shop for years. He looked at my my strings on my bowls and just just warn worn and shit and nicked up and all that. And I don't care about that. I can pick that ball up and shoot and hit what I need to hit. And like the pin last year I went, I drove out and I heard some shit rattling and it was my pin rattle or my sight rattle loose on my ball.
Speaker 3: I'm like shit, and I'm halfway out there. I got a run back.
Speaker 4: I could see kind of where it was at, so I had to tighten it back up and take a shot, make sure it was on, and then go back out. I'm hunting a little better equipment now, dovetails on there where it could be tightened up. I step on my bow when I'm getting on a tree a lot of times, and you know, just because I'm just such thick crap, and half the time the bowl might be halfway down, stuck in a limb to get down out of some of these trees.
Speaker 3: So it's I'm really rough on my equipment.
Speaker 4: Uh, And I need to really start paying more attention to making sure that that that's the final seal of the deal, which to me was like the least important, which should probably be one of even more important. If I was a shooter that guys were nowadays or some of these other guys were to do it, you would have no idea of the shit that I'd have on the wall if I had that talent to be able to shoot out to forty consistently and real good, I mean world class shit after world class ship. But I'm here a kid limited Back in the day, We're shoot one hundred and eighty five feet per second with a six inch arc at twenty yards, and you know, it was like and they're not very good of a shot and untuned bowl.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna I'm gonna start doing that.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna shoot a little bit more every not that I'm gonna enjoy it, but I'm just gonna have to force myself to be more consistent. But here's what happens to and what happened in the past on a bail or even when a recurve, I'm not that accurate of a shot. But when it comes time to shoot an animal, and there's the scariest part about it. After I shoot, I can't even remember putting a pin on an animal, which is a scoop man that I did. I brick a name, but I get it on there. And it's because I take instinctive takes over. I look at the spot and I just let her rip. I can shoot animals moving, jogging very you know. Occasionally I'll stop, but I really don't need to. And after this year, I think maybe I might have to start revisiting some of that. Some of that stuff get a little more consistent with. I went to a peep a few times and went away from it.
Speaker 3: What are people do for you?
Speaker 4: Then that goes to a mechanical and non instinctive and it will it will check you. But a lot of times I don't have that lousy extra second to check that ring in. I need to get her up, get her ripping it's happening, is coming through, and get that arrow off.
Speaker 3: So I had to struggle that way.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna make sure that that maybe the strings are waxed and they're all not cut through, or you know, go back to what I used to do.
Speaker 3: Shoot at these an arrow.
Speaker 4: A lot of times I have on my quiver and when I get down in the morning, I just pick a leaf and and shoot hit the leaf. You know, you're on you know, and before you go out and you got a bail, just fling an arrow into it. Know everything's because that's the biggest thing. It's not gonna be your shooting ability. It's going to be your your equipment got knocked off a pan of sight or or something like that. So yeah, so preparedness. I think you want to trade some guys that are good hunters. All of these guys are anal son of a bitches about their equipment, being efficient using it and having your shit together way more than even like I am with some of the stuff with with the bowls and all that. So I think that's another big thing. That's uh, you know, a guy could uh could key on you. But a lot of guys have that ability and not the other soul lesser the two.
Speaker 1: You know. So here's another one that that you hear it get brought up a lot, and that's mental toughness. How how would you say mental toughness factors into your success.
Speaker 3: If at all? And how would you define mental toughness?
Speaker 4: Like, what does that look like for you, you're looking at the mentally toughest son of a bit you've ever seen in your life right here.
Speaker 3: So last year, i'll make a public right now.
Speaker 4: I came to the point where I know somebody was a really good hunter who went through a season that went the hell that gave up on it. Literally it was too much and gave up in a season. I got to that point like six times last year, and I pushed the accelerator pedal. I literally woke up at two different times hanging in my safety harness. I passed out cold and was hanging from my tree and my harness and crawled back up on the freaking stand.
Speaker 3: I had two torn rotator cuffs.
Speaker 4: I literally could not even get my backpack on without laying on the ground and getting into my stand from a tree.
Speaker 3: I literally passed out on the way in one morning.
Speaker 4: And up at in the dark, sat down next to the tree, lost my balance, sat down and woke up that sun up. I thought I was freaking freaking dead, and got back up and went up that freaking hill and got in that tree that I was supposed to be in early that day because I went in early because that buck was going through there. So as far as mental tough then you're gonna you're gonna kill me and drag me out of it. Was that's I'm not gonna get beat there because I'm gonna just push on. And I was that way probably in the left the next two you know, he get in a fight with me, I'm not losing, You're you're you're gonna kill me, or you're losing. I just will not give up. I've never been that that guy. I don't know where I got that from. My uh, I might have been my mother. To tell you the truth book, I just and there's some guys out in their mental toughness, but you can do this is what I just went through with that buck last year. That deer was one of the one of the biggest typicals. I got on the wall that that crushes people, crucifies them, and it did early on for me. And I learned that lesson so many years is because it's happened numerous times, so you.
Speaker 3: Learn to get through it. You almost have to.
Speaker 4: You build that that shield up. But I think that's the ship that gets you coming back for more.
Speaker 3: Man that.
Speaker 4: If everything's the same humdrum ship and it's in these deer would just roll over and you kill them. What what excitement isn't that in that deer?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it's a big part of the game physical, you know, Elk hunting maybe so much if you're most guys are a couple of weeks a year hunting. The other guys that hunt really serious, like a lot of guys on these pages that really are, you know, they're all year hunters like I was. That's gonna some physical shit's going to come in there, But most these younger guys are probably in the in the shape to handle it, you know. But I would think more more of that mental toughness to to deal with the amount of failure you're going to deal. Here's another thing I always said, I don't think I've ever failed in anything in my life.
Speaker 3: If anything I set my mind out to do, I achieve. I get beat up.
Speaker 4: I might get knocked down a million times, and I end up getting up and winning the game. Whatever it is I've been at. This is one area I cannot win at. I get my ass kicked every freaking year. And I don't know if I like it or what, but it's it's the challenge and it stays challenging. The sport it's it's the ultimate freaking sport I think is to uh to hunt wait till with a bull it's just and then to go after caliber and specific animals. It's like matching your wits with something that's you know better than you are, so come up empty a lot, you know, but it's uh, that's that's what drives me, keeps me coming back for more.
Speaker 1: So when you have these moments where you pass out and have to climb back up into your tree, or you fall asleep next to the tree on the ground and you wake up and you're like, holy crap, I am war the heck out, or you miss that deer or whatever, all these things that can happen that go wrong, and you you don't quit.
Speaker 3: You never quit.
Speaker 1: You pushed through what's your internal dialogue, like do you I don't know if maybe you're not the same way appen.
Speaker 3: I'm a tough situation.
Speaker 4: That stuff has never happened to me before. That was this year that that happened, and it probably never happened to me again. But my train of thought was this was going to be my last probably season in the woods and I was going freaking out with a bang man.
Speaker 3: I was going to just hit it hard. I had opportunities.
Speaker 4: I could have came up with my biggest season this year, and I wanted to end up on that note.
Speaker 3: And I've failed at that.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I got a couple of kills, but not the ones that I wanted, had the opportunities that the one I wanted and screwed up.
Speaker 3: And you know, I could blame it on that.
Speaker 4: Physical letdown for me this year because it was it was like, yeah, I can't even explain to you, there's nobody, nobody in the right mind. If my wife would have known what have been going on, she'd probably would have tackled me and not let me out to freaking door what was going on. But I was set in my head that I'm going out and and in the condition I'm on, who runs down to Kentucky and hunts some ship like that in that heating and all these different states and just every day and not letting up a bit because I just wanted to. I wanted to run that ship right out of me and figure that and and towards the end I think I did. I think I started getting h a little better and getting a little more. I still ain't getting to sleep I needed, But it was the mindset I had, what do you want to go in a hospital bed and die or would you rather go go out swing? And what your what your passionate life was?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And then on top of it, designing like seven new freaking products myself.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, it's the neighbors will come by here occasional too.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: When I first retired for a retired guy, I got I camp every time we come by there. What you're up on the ladder, You're moving, You're doing shit. It's like, you know what am I supposed to do? Go sit in the house and freaking watch TV? I mean, this is getting boring, man. I got to get back into some some some living, you know. So I'm not gonna let the old man in.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna hit it. Hired this year, hopefully that dear is back.
Speaker 4: We've got more new products again this year, and then this is forty I'll start back pedal a little bit off this business probably in the next couple of years. They got Cody's you know, running the operation there and my daughter and we've got some really good people now for white tail addictions in place that part of it's I'm I'm able to kind of start letting loose a little bit, but it was tough to do for perfectionists.
Speaker 3: Nothing's ever good enough, right.
Speaker 4: So in that point and maybe we'll get get to do a little bit more with the Way from the grand Is. But I'm telling you right now season comes, I'm you can bet you can bet your your bottom dollar. I will be out there and I will be hitting as hard as I can, I guess looking for that next next big hit, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I've got a couple final kind of rapid fire questions. So so I'll give these to you quick and you can give me kind of a quick first thought answer on it, and we'll knock these out fast. Here for you, what is a purchase you've made of one hundred dollars or less that has most positively impacted your hunting success?
Speaker 3: So what's been like you? I got to answer to quick. I gotta think about this purchase or less.
Speaker 1: So your best one hundred dollars or less purchase for hunting gear some kind that either made it more effective or made it more enjoyable or something for gear yeah, what's one budget gear that actually.
Speaker 4: In the archery industry? Now it's on our hundred bucks. I'm trying to think, getting hard to find that. God, I'm stumped that that is like an all awakening type.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not supposed to. I'm not supposed to answer questions for you, but something just popped in my mind. Would it be your face mask? Like, I know that's a little thing that has seen make dem I make that face mak I sow them up myself. I still got and I got the recipe to do it, to bring it commercially. But it's like, there's really not a lot of money on face mask. And what I'll do is everybody starts using them, They'll start killing all kinds of ship too. So I figured I just stood on that. But so one of my most important things, that's the key thing. Optics again, Uh, you know, binocias are very very I don't know. I can't understand the guys how guys can even hunt without a set of mon ocuras on them. But guys do because they want to take the extra weight and maybe they got great vision. But even when I had great vision, it's it's still an important thing. But yeah, you answered it for me, but.
Speaker 4: It didn't cast it doesn't They don't cost the time because I just karing old blind up to shoot through material and get some you know, I sold too, by the way, and very talented in that area, you know. So yeah, well that that that you answered that for me, because I can't think of anything.
Speaker 1: That's like I said, how about how about this? Here's a slightly different version of that. If you had to give up all of your high end gear, like all of the tree stands you've made yourself, all of the equipment that you've designed over the years, the bow you bought or got, the all your top tier stuff. I know you've got a lot of high quality hunting gear, but if you had to get rid of all the top tier stuff and replace it with bare bones, budget friendly stuff.
Speaker 3: So if you had to like go to Walmart and just get Walmart Camo, a Walmart bow, a Walmart.
Speaker 1: Everything else, all your stuff was going to be entry level except for one category of things, Like you could have one high end thing. Would you want a high end optic, a high end bow, high end tree stand, high end Camo, high end something else.
Speaker 3: What would be the one thing that you might have to.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have to say this's gonna and I'm not saying it because it's loaded and I have a tree stand company. But I've said this before, even when I had a wood tree stand back in the day, starting that I would rather tick to the woods with just my stand and equipment then my bowl. I think for me, it was the most important piece of equipment that was with a two piece climber back in the day and to this day will be the same. I could go get a bowl the bowls I shoot, because the arrows I shoot, they freaking come in Andy, laugh at what the hell is that.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, that's all this is doing. It's going to seal the deal.
Speaker 4: I just got to take this arrow out of this this bowl that's freaking twenty five years old that I've been shooting forever, fifty four pounds and I got to hit that target at fifteen yards.
Speaker 3: I can do it.
Speaker 4: I can't go in the woods ever again with a noisy tree stand or clinking and clanking around, or having to worry about shifting my weight. When the deal is sealed and it's in the moment of truth is there, I can't could never go back to that. Once I got through that, dude, it was and did not have to worry about because that's what it was back in the day.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm talking decades ago.
Speaker 4: Is that I would get on these big animals and stuff and so intimate, and it's like ten fifteen yard shots a pressure deer and man your arrow rest or some little noise, A scuffed a scuff on material. One material is one hundred percent different than the scuff of another material. Why does that one light up a deer and one knot The squeak of aluminum in a tree stand lights up generations of white tail. I don't know what it was about them, it's it'll light them up and get them heading.
Speaker 3: For the hill.
Speaker 4: So and it's so I would say that a bowl. I could go pick up a bowl anywhere. I could pick up a recurve and shoot a recurve consistent. I could go pick up a thirty pound fiberglass bowl like we started out with back in the day, and I know I can go out and kill a deer with it.
Speaker 3: So I think I would. I'd want my stand equipment to be what I've been hunting out of.
Speaker 4: My could be the older line of stands that don't have to be, you know, the newer line of stands. But I really liked, you know, the newer stuff that we're doing now.
Speaker 3: So no, no, it does. And I can understand, I can understand your perspective to a quality stand or way to get up there, you know, quietly effectively. That's that's so important, all right. Last question, if you had to.
Speaker 1: Distill your approach to deer hunting or or pick your single most important piece of deer hunting advice that you want to share with the world, and if you had to put it on a billboard on the side of the road next to like a Cabellas or bass pro shops, that everyone's going to drive past this billboard on their way. What would that most important message be, that that phrase or few words or that one thing you want to.
Speaker 3: Leave with people. That's easy, Hunt like a wolf. And that's exactly what I do. Man.
Speaker 4: I put my nose into the wind, quartering it, and I'd go after him and hunt like a wolf. Every day is different, the game's different. Go get them, Just get out there and mix it up.
Speaker 3: Man. Yeah, Yeah, that's a that's a great line.
Speaker 1: That really is I love it, So, Andrea, where can folks where can folks go to see the show and the content you guys make these days? What should folks be looking for from Lone Wolf Custom Gear? Is there anything you want to tell people about as far as product or content?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So this year we got We've got a whole new line of sticks coming out. We have a we had a new stand come out to Hybrid.
Speaker 3: You can see that.
Speaker 4: You can go on to our YouTube channel and see all the White Tail Addictions programs from and you'll want to see some of those old original number ones and that. But this year we'll have eighteen episodes. Something we've done this year different than others we've partnered. You can see who the sponsors are. We partnered with some different people. A lot of our guys are serious guys and a lot of them use a lot of the same They've all keyed in or adapted to a lot of these sponsors that we've had. It's it's stuff that we've been using already. So it's an easy an easy fit. So you'll be able to see eighteen episodes of White Toil Addictions on there. I have a new broadhead. We'll be sending some commercials out with now that's totally different way out from what's out there. And aluminum broadhead, believe it or not, that's you'll see my kill from this year, two hundred and sixty five pound buck and it's at fifty four pounds. It's the hardest hitting head you're gonna ever see. And when you see the kill, you'll see why through both shoulders just about came out the other side of the animal and the thing let's out a roar like it was hit with a freight train.
Speaker 3: So we also have.
Speaker 4: Those roadshows going. You'll be able to, you know, check the schedule on that. That's Cody's and Jake's gig there. We're still accept thing and will other applicants for white tail addictions. So if somebody wants to get the cell filming, we have a new camera, arms, even smaller, lighter, everything we got as small as lazy and getting out. I apologize we didn't get all these new products out early at the ATA show like we do, but from here on in we don't do that anymore because that everybody copies what we do at the ATA, and because we're hunters and we're not prepared there and it takes us a long time to get that out the market. Other companies are able to take our stuff and get it there quicker. So now what we're doing is you're going to see it now here in the next month. Some of the new stuff, you know, groundbreaking equipment, and it'll be we'll have a year on them. And also it's it's a kind of a weird, weird world out there.
Speaker 3: But what else was there? I think that's it. We've got Lone Wolf custom gear. We're bringing the brand back Lone Wolf for another line of stands coming.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of good things coming. I think we do have a page mobile Hunters United. You can go on there and chat with a lot of similar minded guys, a lot of serious hunters. You can talk about equipment, talk about hunting. That's that's amazing. I sit back and just read a lot of that, and it's amazing some of the guys. A lot of guys are really attuned to so back in the day when I was all equipment to all about equipment and changing up gadget guys are like that. Now it's all hunting and equipment sold. They're orientated. But and then podcast like your guys. You know, we're listening to them all the time, enjoying them. It's a whole different world now. We don't sit in front of a TV anymore or watch those hunting shows. We sit and listen, listen to what's going on out there from the guys out there getting it done or in the field are attempting to But yeah, I appreciate all you guys are doing so and that you.
Speaker 3: Take the time to listen. Joined here now, this is this has been great.
Speaker 1: I we got everything we could have hoped out this conversation, and I think a lot of a lot of interesting insights and folks are gonna folks are gonna learn some interesting lessons from this one.
Speaker 3: So thank you, Andre. I appreciate you making the time for it. Can't wait to see how this season goes for it.
Speaker 1: All right, and that is a wrap. Thank you for joining me today. Hopefully you learn something here as we try to dive into the mindset of the White tail Master known as mister Andre to Cuisto. I appreciate Andre's time. I appreciate your time, and until next time, stay wired to Hu