Speaker 1: Hm, I am the fairy man.
Speaker 2: The human spirit is my business. Their madness, their passion, the wonderful and monstrous ways they burn out their brief candle.
Speaker 3: I regret to tell you that very many American lives in love.
Speaker 4: Was heard to shouts from the car. He's dead. Whether he referred to president or four hours.
Speaker 5: People must get up and go.
Speaker 3: If I am here in the in between, to collect their spirits and carry them to what comes next.
Speaker 2: This road is not on any map.
Speaker 3: It spanned the thresholds between their most forbidden desires and their greatest fear.
Speaker 1: All I ask for.
Speaker 3: In payment is a tale and accounting of their lives and the great temporary that is the land we're living.
Speaker 2: These are their stories.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 6: The passage.
Speaker 2: This is a wasteland, the end of the line. Out here, the old.
Speaker 3: Ways are already dead, yet the new ways are not yet born. I can still smell the gunpowder from the Civil War wafting from the east. It came in on the clothes of the men who traveled west. It came on their breath, the blood still.
Speaker 7: Caked onto their nails, who death behind their eyes and their souls disfigured by slaughter.
Speaker 3: They brought their horror stories with them by horse and wagon, and now a railway that slithers ever westward like the cold, hungry snake. Ahead of the railroad, they summon the same war machine, once aimed at each other. With it, they decimated the ancient nations that are here, so they can breed cattle until the bloody soil they've stolen. Some have made this journey to find their fortunes, others to escape their past, their identity shifting with each mile they travel farther west, And so this place is barely held together by a delicate balance between hope and fear, power and justice.
Speaker 2: The cabin.
Speaker 3: Weirly, but our traveling companion will be out in a moment. McCarty Henry McCarty born out of grittin desperation and the New York slums, but forged into something of a folk hero out here in the wild West, where the line betwixt the blessed and the damned is so thin as to be transparent. Orphaned as a young man, his is the story of a caged animal who became an escape artist, a survivor who became a killer, who became a legend. Little Henry transformed himself into Billy Bonnie, and then the headlines transformed him into Billy the Kid. It's July fourteenth, eighteen eighty one, Fort Sumner, New Mexico Territory, and our next passenger, the most notorious figure in American folklore, is about.
Speaker 2: To die.
Speaker 4: That uh, the horses for me?
Speaker 5: I reckon?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 5: Goddamn.
Speaker 4: Where are we headed?
Speaker 2: Well, that's to be determined by what by you?
Speaker 5: Huh, Well, what's the arrangement? Ain't you gonna shock them or nothing? I expect I want to steal this horse and pull a fob off.
Speaker 3: Well, you're welcome to try. I'm here to provide you passage to the next place.
Speaker 4: What's the price?
Speaker 3: The truth?
Speaker 4: And just what the hell does that meant to mean?
Speaker 5: The truth? Truth is?
Speaker 4: I'm here because I got shot. How about that?
Speaker 5: Some bitch finally did it? Oh, Garrett finally got the jump on me. And that's that And that's fine. Took him long enough. Now he gets to be famous. Good luck to him. It ain't worth much, truth is? I think I let him. I let him because I'm tired tired of trying to be something, something else, something other than that fairy tale.
Speaker 4: They made me out to be an outlaw.
Speaker 5: Sure I am that for the bloodthirsty murder ambassard I said they made me out in their papers, say I killed twenty one men. Now, I don't blaming them for righting me as they have. I don't know if anyone believe anything good to me anyway, but there is good. There is good in me standing up to the corrupt and greedy bastards. I think they got a god giving right to profit off of everything under the sun. Sure I'm a villain to some. I'm gonna hear others. Like those songs they sing down in Mexico, I reckon it all comes down to what side you're on and who's winning the war. What you get is what you see. The only story I need to hear is your own.
Speaker 4: There were two men that made me.
Speaker 5: First man left the hallow my gut, a great hunger, a hatred that can never be satisfied. The second man let the hall of my heart like a wound that won't heal. The first disappeared, and yet I couldn't get rid of them. The second I tried to hold onto, but he slipped through my fingers like the blood that floated from the back of his skull the day he died. Each had equal hand in making me what I am. As soon as I was born, Daddy left that right there. Sets of course, Mama did her best to raise me, kept me in line. Put those winters in New York. No heat in the factory, no heat in the room. The shit piled up in the courtyards outside. The swine wronged freely, and the dead horses were left to rod. We got out somehow and came west. While I was still small. It warn't much better than never enough food for us. I used to crank the pump and fill my gut with water to fool myself that I was fed. Mama scrapped, Yeah, she used to slipped me the best bits of everything. Need the scraps for herself. But no one could sustain themselves in regard for another, not forever. Her hands were almost skeleton. She could barely hold the knitt needle, couldn't grab through the back of the stitch with her forefinger and her thumb, so she used her teeth. That's why the sweater she made had stains from the blood and biles she was coughing up. God, she was so frail, so frail. There then gone pale, but she still smile wide. She managed to finish the sweater before she died, something that sheltered me against all the cold and all the dark in the world. Yeah, well it didn't.
Speaker 8: When she died, I made a promise to myself that I find my father. It was him, after all, who said us toward room. No man could call himself a Christian leave behind a family to fit for themselves. Mama worked her fingers to the bone to keep bust alive. She worked so hard to killed her in then now I am to make him pay that man who was my father, full price, and so I set tracking him down. He didn't take me long once I got back to New York. He was a famous drunk my father, so I canvassed the saloons. About a week into it. I said him a dirty place down by five points, with the hours from then to drink. Now, I never laid eyes on the man, but I recognized him immediately.
Speaker 5: I called out Pat McCarty, and he turned to me, blarry eyed and red faced, all these while markings of an inveterate drunkeness across his face.
Speaker 4: It was a moment of.
Speaker 5: Confusion in his water eyes. But the recognition came quick enough. Must have seen hisself and me, must have been like looking in the mirror that erased all the hard years from his face. Henry, he said, in my Christian name. I didn't give no reply. I just trained my gun at him. Funny thing happened. Then. I expected him to cry out, to call God for mercy to beg for his life, but instead, instead he smiled. He smiled like he was pleased that I found him, like keeping waiting for it. And I finally arrived, and I felt my finger on the cold trigger, and.
Speaker 6: I hesitated.
Speaker 5: I hesitated, and no sooner did his smile drain from his face. His mustache sank towards the floor. Shame, I didn't think so, he said, because you're not a man. No, you a soft little run a sponger. I sure snuff you out to day he was born, you and your squealing pig brother, the last miserable maccarti bloodline. He said, I could have rided the world of our whole wretch McCarty a lot for good. Now I hesitated too, because I'm not a man, neither fucking chain, he said.
Speaker 6: The next thing.
Speaker 5: I sees blood, blood splotted, the low whiskey bottles, and the pale faces in the assemblation blud spilling into the floor like this. I shot him down right in his chest, right where his heart was rumored to be. And then he smiled again, whispered his dying words, that's a good lad. I looked at the smoke and gun in my hand didn't feel like my own, like I was someone else's marrying that. And when Daddy dropped, my gaze riched palm my reflection in the mirror behind him, but I had no recognition of it, for I've never seen myself smiling before the same cruel smile as my daddy, and contrared them storybooks. The first life I took was indeed my daddy's. I was prepared to face the consequences too. I was reaised to trial. God is my witness, tell the truth and accept my penalty. Hell, I wanted them to come arrest me. I waited, I waited and waited. Nothing happened less than nothing. Nobody cared. Nobody came from me, not the law, not nobody, and I realized it was all a gag. Really, the law, the cords, and no jail could ever hold me after that, and I never told nobody neither. I guess you could say that I wandered after that, although it be alive, I called it wandering aimless. See avenging my mother or my father didn't exactly release me from the rage that had festered since she withered away. Matter of fact, it grew like the thistle weed and that cruise smile I inherd. It became a permanent fixture. See. Even though I shot my own man Dad, I couldn't shake him. Made my way to Graham County, Arizona. I didn't go into the canteen with the intention of killing, but Windy Cahills had it coming. Sure. Sure I hated the man. He fit me for shackles once after I was caught for stealing horses. It was a big dum some bitch for sure. I ain't gonna rough me up one too many times. He was sorrow on me ever since I took a week's worth of payoffer in a poker game. So when I watched into Atkins and called his bluff again, he went red, he's there, call me filthy, call me in urchin. And I tried to stick on. I did he says, I ain't got no wonder this money. So I called him a big dumb sum bitch, and he came at me fast. Then he was the town of Blacksmith, and his hands were stick and burned and heavy his sledgehamers. Then he threw me to the ground, set out to beat me like a railroad spike. Then he says, bet your dead mama would be ashamed of what her boy turned out like.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then it happened. His face seemed to shift to transform. He smiled at me, and the smile grew and grew until it seemed to reach all the way to his ears, too many big black, yellow teeth showing he was an infernal smile, the smile of the devil has else. It was my daddy's smile. I didn't even feel the gun in my hand, didn't even hear the discharge. Wendy kele top of it on me, bleeding out. I looked in his dying eyes, and his face was his own again, all screwed up in pain. But that's when I heard the voice low on my ear, that's a good lot. Through his lips came spurts of blood and whispered, please for mercy should I. I wasn't gonna hurt him no more. I took the first horse I saw on roe let Hell, but I couldn't escape it. Every time I had the thought to play it straight, take my arnings and try to be honest. Out of hear his voice whisper in my ear.
Speaker 6: That's a good lot.
Speaker 5: The gun smoked, the blood flowed, and no law could stop me. What at first was leaving to survive, soon lived to my second killing and my fifth, and soon I quit trying. I gave myself over the devil in mate.
Speaker 9: But that was that, just yonder and the fog up there seems seems park slash part shoutout.
Speaker 5: Well all those people, uh yeah, not anymore, Dear Lord, is that windy? And who's standing there with that? That tall fellow with black hair? Is that Baker? That's Baker and Morton and Sheriff Brady. Jesus Christ, not mighty, What a pathetic lord? Why are they just standing there like that? For what?
Speaker 4: You sorry fucker's one out here?
Speaker 6: Huh what you're waiting for?
Speaker 4: But to hell, you sons of bitches.
Speaker 5: All you get, bastards, You can go to hell shop those bastards Of all the men I killed, those bastards had are coming the most. Mister Tunstall was the second man who made me. John Tunstall, he was my friend. That man took me in from the wilderness. I was like a fairal cat, beating on the carry on and the scraps of the world. It goes to my father haunted me through the day and torment me in my sleep, to missus tunstle, lady's hands on my shoulder. Hell hot stole the man's horses.
Speaker 6: What do you do?
Speaker 5: Man gave me an honest job on it. This cattle ranch paid me for my first honest day's work. He taught me reading words, and showed me how to hold a fork of the knife, and bided me to sit in his kitchen table to suck. It sounds funny to say, consider in mild reputation, but he civilized me, tamed me. John was the second man who bade me. The further I got into John Tonstall's life, the quieter my father's voice was, except at night. But the thing is he no longer tormented me in my sleep. That face of his no longer war that no one smiled with every sleep After a hard day's honest work. His smile faded more. I was almost free of him, and by and by my reflection got rearranged too. My face softened, and by and by my cruel smile left me, until one day I recognized myself again. But he couldn't last. John Tounster was a good man, hard working dc that makes a man vulnerable. John Tunstall's decency flew in the face all Lawrence Murphy and his pet snake James Doling. They on the biggest ranch in all the territories. For years. They tried to force John to sell his land, but Joab wouldn't have it. So Murphy, being the fact god he is, decided to make life as miserable as possible for mister Tunstle. His men got the mischief, tearing down fences, setting the barn of light. I told mister Tunstle, we gonna have to sort him out the hard way, but he wouldn't have any of it, he said, they settled in the civilized manner. It happened on the big cattle drive. We was waiting outside the perimeter, me and mister Tunstle on the others and back of Lincoln. Some's gone down.
Speaker 4: Me and the others rode out ahead to look for dinner.
Speaker 5: And that's when they rolled up on John Murphy's and Dolen's, man Baker and Morton and the rest. I watched him from up on the ridge. I just I just couldn't get there in time to save him. Oh I saw mphos men leaving the cloud of dust chaff. Brady hisself a mono.
Speaker 4: It was Jesse Evans.
Speaker 5: She shot John down like a dog, executed him. He's back of the head. When I got to Johnny, he was somehow still alive now though it hadn't gone through. Musta got stuck in his skull. I cradled his head, and the blood brushed out through the hole on my fingers. He looked at me, confused, like he didn't know me at first, but then he smiled sort of dreamy like, and said, I see again, Bill. And then he was gone. And then the other voice came to me. I could hear it whispering in my ear, Daddy telling me to go after those men to shoot him down. I wasn't gonna listen. I was gonna do this the civilized way.
Speaker 4: So I went to Judge Wilson.
Speaker 5: Took some persuading, but he finally constituted me, Me and the other regulators. We was deputized by the Lincoln County Justice of the Peace. They gave us warrants and such. So I went out after Sheriff Brady and his posse. We rounded up Baker and more him down by black Water Creek. I told him he's under arrest, and they laughed. I tried to do right despite that, I swear to God I did. I heard john voice telling me I was a different than the others. But Daddy's voice was in my head louder now. And now I was losing control of my hands again, and the marionette feeling was back in my limbs, like I was possessed, I said. I shook it off. I was helping to do civilized things. See, I repeated myself. Sit days all under rest.
Speaker 3: This time.
Speaker 5: They did the disservice of ignoring me flat out, like I was nothing. Baker started talking about what he was gonna do with Tunster's laying. Said they all gonna get paid handsomely for their dedication. Said hell, maybe Murphy would even throw him Miss Tunster as a bonus prize. I told him best locked, they GIWs what you can do, by the kid. Not a goddamn thing, they said, I don't call what happened after that. I remember hearing Daddy's laugh, though his drunken, cruel laugh, and as soon as I heard it, I real lost. I realized the laugh was coming from my own throat. Next thing I know, I'm standing over the bodies of Baker Morton, face down in the creek, their blood clouding in the water, my pistol smoking in my hand. But he's only supposed to rest 'em. But the regulators knew just as well. They knew there weren't gonna be no justice. Turning Nantussles killers and expecting justice from the very government that ordered his death.
Speaker 4: Made no goddamn sense.
Speaker 5: Murphy had all them some bitches in his pocket, the governor, attorney general, hell, he of the entire United States government. So I reckon I'd done it myself justice. But it don't matter.
Speaker 4: Rich Man can kill a thousand men right out in the open, a gun in his hand, and smile.
Speaker 5: On his face a lie. I won't do nothing to hold him back, but I knew that sort of treatment wouldn't come to a wildcat like me. It don't matter anyhow, don't matter that what I'd done was called for, and we got pready after that, runned him down in the streets. And after that they came for me, tried to smoke me, ab nearly set me on fire. They couldn't get me long I dodged they bullets, Oh yes, they jails couldn't hold me neither. But with every function in y'r living, it's spent just trying to keep living. It grinds you down, showing off. I became a slave again to my father every turn. If there was a choice to do right, to do violence, I chose the path of violence, and he go to me home. Always in my ear, that's a good lot if you was in my way.
Speaker 4: Sure, shit weren't for long.
Speaker 5: Then I went on steven and killing, deeving and killing til I felt hollowed out again. Then papers, the papers say I represent everything that's wrong with the world out there.
Speaker 4: Oh my eye.
Speaker 5: I may not be law biden, But what good is the law when it's on the purpose it's to faten the hogs while the rest are no, no, no, all. My killing, every soul I killed was done above board. I never pulled my gun or no innocent sauce. Oo woo woo woo woo. Who's that there? I pad another spirit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, I pad, he.
Speaker 5: Said, Jesus, it's Belle, deputy Jim's bell. No, no, no, no, see that ain't fair. No no, no, no, no, that ain't fair. No.
Speaker 4: I didn't aim to kill him.
Speaker 5: You know they was gonna hang me.
Speaker 4: I had no choice.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 10: He was the only thing in my way.
Speaker 1: It was either him or me.
Speaker 10: I told you not to do it, Belle. I told you if you drew on me, I'd have to kill you. You should not let your guard down any damn food to check them shackles. When I come out the shitter and your gun was right there, boy, right there, sitting here, shining New Holston.
Speaker 5: My hands was.
Speaker 4: Free, bell free. I told you, you know, really all comes down. You should have left me alone to go to hell on my own bell. That ain't on me. You gota acknowledge the corner on that.
Speaker 5: You see what your sail? You'll see, Belle, Belle, Hey, Belle, where'd he go? Way these spirits appear and disappear his unsettling friends, Poor old Belle. You know you know a second before I squeezed as a trigger. I saw a look in his eye. There was the look of a frightened little boy. I've often wondered if perhaps that's the look I had when Tunster put his hand on my shoulder, A frying boy. He only wanted to belong to some bigger than himself. Looky for me. I met Tunstall and I'm looking for Belle. That he met me, the fight went out of me. After that I got shot myself. The truth is I spotted Sheriff Garrett riding from across the valley to the ranch cabin where I was hold up, and when I seen him coming first thing, I felt relief, And for the first time since John Tunstall died, I couldn't hear Daddy's voice in my head no more.
Speaker 7: He was.
Speaker 5: It was just quiet, and for the first time I saw clear that I had a choice. Well, well, I guess you know.
Speaker 3: The rest.
Speaker 5: All the legends, the stories about me, something wake me out to be a hero or some evillain, or you could argue I was only are trying to be my true self, to find out who I was, who I was underneath it all. And for a little while with John Tunstall, I had that.
Speaker 6: I had that.
Speaker 5: Truth is, there were two versions of myself, and the reaction I took was like a vote from one to the other. The truth is, I seen Gary coming. I knew it was just a long shadow on him.
Speaker 6: That door.
Speaker 5: Truth is, I had to jump on it, not the other way around. But like I said, every action we take in our life is a vote, the vote for who we wish to be. Right. Then I had the chance to cast one more about it. So I lay my gun down. I reckon. That's everything I have to say on the matter.
Speaker 2: We've arrived.
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah, So.
Speaker 10: I guess.
Speaker 5: I guess that door there in the rock, I guess it leads to ye wherever I'm headed? Where am I headed? Yeah, well, it's not my place to know. My job is done. See only you can walk through that door, Henry, Henry. Ain't nobody that's called me that in a long time. Well, I guess this is where we part ways. So it is thank you for your story. Oh yeah, thanks for letting me be in your ear. So I just I just opened it and walked through. Well, all right, it's you hello again.
Speaker 2: William H.
Speaker 3: Bonnie was born at a pivotal moment in his nation's history. And like his country, he was stranded in a oh wasteland between identities, caught in a struggle to be whole and driven by a longing for a purpose in a new land. And so there is some of Billy the Kid in every American, each displaced from their ancestral past, and each still searching for a new identity, a renewed sense of belonging, a family, a country. Woven into the fabric of the American psyche, is that same hope and the same.
Speaker 2: Battle for equality and justice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Billy was a flexible container for the imagination of this land to fill with whatever it needed. But beneath it all, yeah, he was just a lost boy, a mere product of the lawlessness of the era. No Robin Hood, no Custer. He's just a kid torn between the slant of two very different men, Just a boy looking for a father and set adrift in the wild West to cope with his devils the best that he could. His passage now complete.
Speaker 11: The Passage stars Dan Fogler as the Ferryman. This episode features Scott Hayes as Billy the Kit. Written by Dan Bush and Nicholas Dakowski, our executive producers are Nicholas Dakoski, Matthew Frederick and Alexander Williams. First assistant director, script supervisor and production coordinator Sarah Klin. Music by Ben Lovett, additional music by Alexander Rodriguez. Casting by Sunday Bowling, Kennedy and Meg Mormon. Editing and sound designed by Dan Bush, Dialogue editing and sound mixing by Juan Campos. Additional sound editing by Racket Sound. Our supervising producer is Josh Than. Created by Dan Bush and Nicholas Dakowski. Produced by Dan Bush. The Passage is a production of iHeartRadio and Cycopia Pictures.