Speaker 1: A Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Oh, welcome back to It could Happen Here a podcast about it happening. Here. Things falling apart, and today the thing that is falling apart is info Wars. Now, this is not a new situation. Info Wars has been falling apart for like half a decade now, but we are reaching certainly a point in that process. And to talk about that point, I have been bringing on really the only two people you can bring on if you want an expert opinion on Alex Jones, Dan and Jordan of Knowledge Fight Dan Jordan, Welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: Hello, Thank you for having us.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 5: You can bring us on to tell you things that every other expert in the world will say are wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 3: It's nice to know that we are once again at that point where shit is looking that bad for Alex yep, that it's relevant for us to, uh yeah, get to start.
Speaker 4: Doing your media tours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I mean, hey, well we're I'm enjoying this because I know we're gonna see you next year to have the same conversation.
Speaker 3: And I was flashing back to earlier times we've talked. We've probably been like, hey, things are looking bad for Alex.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my fingers are crossed that he gets a bad batch of supplements and goes on like not a sad murdering spree, but like a cannibal spree, Like he eats three or four people. And then the news like you guys, you guys are on fucking CNN talking about well, actually Alex has been discussing eating people for quite some time. Sure, this is this is really a long story for him. Really, anyone should have seen this coming up. The lighting was on the wall. This is some of the least surprising cannibalism in media history.
Speaker 3: It turns out this supplement, it didn't make him a cannibal. It just brought out that cannibal that was already there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the iodine does first before we get into it. You know, elephant in the room, by which I mean Dan, you look like you're ready to lead the Union Army in a series of Civil War battles. That's a compliment to your facial hair.
Speaker 3: So by elephant you mean the tusks. Yes, well, thank you very much. I'm learning to accept compliments. Yeah, I've got a ridiculous handlebar situation that I did as a joke. I got this as a joke to go to undercover to a Tucker Carlson event.
Speaker 2: That's an incredible decision.
Speaker 3: And then the positive feedback spit too much for me to handle.
Speaker 4: It's good.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this is really changing things for me because prior to seeing this, Jordan would have been my go to if I needed someone to help me burn Atlanta. But now I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, could be either of you.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of Civil war jokes, a lot of hitting home runs in the seventies, sure, sure jokes.
Speaker 2: So okay, I have a whole subreddit full of people that just photoshot my face on the pictures of rass Button.
Speaker 4: So it's what happens.
Speaker 2: Speaking of ras Button, he was psychic, and so is Alex. According to Alex. Yeah, yeah, what do you guys want to start here, because like, obviously the big news right now is all of info Wars is up for auction, including apparently Alex is twittering. It sounds like will probably be part of the deal, although I guess that's a little unclear right now.
Speaker 3: He's trying to fight that inclusion of the Twitter handle in his bankruptcy estate. But I think almost anybody could make a pretty solid argument that it's company property. Yeah, Like he uses it to broadcast his show. He takes calls on it for his show, Yeah, from Twitter spaces, So like, yeah, he's probably going to lose that fight, and it's probably going to be part of the auction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I mean, at the same time, him not having it makes it valueless, so it's worthless.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So if I were going to auction it, it would be worth zero dollars, But if I were going to give it to Alex, it would be worth to him millions upon millions of dollars.
Speaker 4: And that's the issue here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does kind of seem and I listened to Alex primarily through you, but it does seem like, from what I'm here on your show, he's kind of more concerned about the Twitter account than the multimillion dollar studio space yeah time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which actually is kind of funny because I think it belies a lack of confidence. Yeah, because I think if he loses real Alex Jones on Twitter, he could have reeler Alex Jones. Yep.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like that would be a problem for him. Actually, do you think.
Speaker 3: You can't gather this audience back together.
Speaker 4: I think that's the problem. He's worried he can't get it back.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well and specifically him, Like Elon would tell people to follow him, there'd be a bunch of people with huge accounts saying this is the new Alex yit Like, I really don't think it would be much more than a speed bump. Actually, unfortunately you.
Speaker 4: Can think that, but these aren't your friends.
Speaker 5: Can't trust Elon fucking Musk help you out.
Speaker 3: I do think that there's an abandonment fear possibly, yeah, or some some sort of lack of confidence that like, if this speed bump does hit, I won't be able to rebuild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, And it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's delusional. I think he's totally fine. Start one hundred new Twitter accounts. You'd get a million followers on all of those, agreed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, But I mean he's delusionable about just about everything, so it makes sense that in this case he would be delusional in the wrong direction.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, how does this seem to be going? My big concern when I'm when I'm thinking about it, is like, well, there's probably someone rich out there, some like rich asshole, you know, think tank funding oil billionaire that would consider it chump change to buy all this shit up and just give it back to Alex. But my understanding is that that's not actually like a thing you can do in these kind of situations. Although I'm not not an expert.
Speaker 3: On it, Oh, I think you can. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The trustee has the ability to even say, like if there is if there was like a bid that was from whomever you want to say, like out of nowhere, George Soros, if you.
Speaker 2: Like, fucking William Regnery the fifth or whichever rignary were on now, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Ten billion dollars more money than God could imagine. But the trustee you wanted it to stay in right wing billionaire hands. He could give it to somebody who bid six million dollars for it or five, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think that that's actually accurate, fully, And I also don't think that the trustee is beholden to Alex in any way.
Speaker 4: I'm saying that.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying that there is that level of control that is not just like it's going to the highest bidder.
Speaker 3: I understand it. The trustees control in terms of that is more about a minimum bid. Like, if there were higher bids, it would be very difficult to rationalize not taking them if they are from people who have the actual money. Sure, aren't I guess involved with terrorism, sure or something. Unless there is a concrete reason not to accept it, I would be surprised. Yeah, if they didn't accept Soros if he made a bid.
Speaker 4: I mean I would be too.
Speaker 5: But also, currently we are on surprise number seven and a half thousand.
Speaker 4: It's not more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that would be the least surprising thing if it was a surprising thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: I think we're all agreed. Alex isn't going to just shut up and ride into the sunset. He's physically incapable of doing that. Like he would literally literally explode like a soda with mintos dropped into it if that were to happen. Yeah, But also there's a massive judgment on him, right, So my understanding is that like any money beyond whatever a court decides would be necessary for him to maintain existence, although I understand there's also like ways you can fuck around with that too, Like what do you guys know about, like what kind of limitations the court has placed on Alex for the future after all of his shit gets sold out from underneath him.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know about like specific details, but because his judgment was deemed to be like malicious and intentional, the amount that he owes personally is not dischargeable by bankruptcy. Yeah, so he's in chapter seven bankruptcy now personally, and so he's liquidating all the assets. So he has to sell off the company, which is how we get to the auction in the first place. And so he will sell off these assets to go towards the payment of these people. But that's not going to erase the debts and set things even so in theory, he could be hounded for the rest of his life. Sure, he could have wages garnished have some oversight of his finances in theory. Yeah, to the amount that that's exercised, I'm not sure how much it will be, but yeah, that's going to be hanging over him for the rest of his life. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Or I mean, if I was him, and based on how things are going for him so far and the direction things are taking, then once this is handled, then he's going to move all of his money to Alex jonestore dot com. And then once they catch him there, he's gonna move all of his money to Alex jonestore dot com two. And then once they catch him there, he's gonna move his stuff to Alex Jones dot com three. Until eventually everybody gets so fucking tired that they're like, fine, either we're no longer going to come after you, or will settle for fucking nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because and him and his lawyers explained that even as part of their legal strategy early on, which is that you exhaust people with delays and to the point where someone's just willing to settle because you're such a pain in the ass. Yeah, And that's just kind of his mode of operation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And every time people have been like, well, clearly you can't continue to be a pain in the ass this way anymore. It won't be allowed. It has instead been allowed, so you can do it.
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get like in the way of people's you know, celebrating the downfall of Alex Jones. But it does kind of seem like nothing realistically is going to stop him from being rich and being able to talk to an audience of people who are dangerously devoted to his shit. Like none of this is actually going to I'm sure it's unpleasant and stressful, right, but it's not going to stop him. It's just not possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is why you get other experts, because I do want to get in the way of people enjoying quote unquote info.
Speaker 2: I'm just talking about like when I'm when I'm watching people celebrate on Twitter, like you can't correct everybody. It's like whenever, whenever there's like this info about Alex Jones that people listen to your show, know, like there was a period of time where I would correct people about that or really literally anything else. And I've increasing the out to the point where like everyone's wrong about almost everything they say on the Internet, and there's really no point in correcting anybody about it anymore, Like, what am I going to do? How is this going to help?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I see people like posting videos of Alex crying, yeah, and like changing the context of what it is for some post and it's like, you guys are just it's not worth the energy to correct here. Yeah, to your point, though, Jordanan does want to stop people from celebrating and ruining everyone's fun. I'm in the middle, okay. I would like people to be a little half at the time to do it. I want people to be a little bit more realistic about their expectations, people being like celebrating prematurely, Like you're just gonna have to deal with the hangover of this. That is, there's a pretty decent chance somebody aligned with Alex is going to buy the company and then all of it is going to get just given back to him, And it's equally likely that someone you know, like a Soro or whatever, does end up buying it. Info Wars is destroyed and Alex's revenue streams remain intact because his dad runs his supplement company now that's outside of the bankruptcy. He shifted all of his merch over to this Alex Jones store dot com that's run by somebody else, So like all the meaningful ways that he can make money are now protected, and he can just start Alex Jones Fuck Around Hour or whatever and have these people be sponsors, and you know, it'll feel fun that Info Wars is gone or someone else bought it or whatever. But like you know, like you're saying, Robert, it doesn't it doesn't really address the issue, and nothing is nothing's really gained.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's kind of been a massive waste of everybody's time. But but a lot of lawyers are ever going to make a lot of money, so that's good.
Speaker 2: It does seem if I'm going out of my way to kind of look at what are the most positive results of this, Like if I mean, it does look like he's probably going to lose control of all all of the shit that they have to film Info Wars, Right, that won't stop them from filming and doing videos, but maybe they'll look like crap, and maybe that will have an impact on like the degree of credence people give them, you know, like maybe the fact that info Wars has a nice studio isn't zero percent of like why their shit gets taken seriously by people. I don't think it's most of why, but it's not nothing either, otherwise like they wouldn't be doing it. Like I do think that that although I don't know, maybe that was in a different era is when that mattered.
Speaker 3: I think it's also psychologically important for him. Yeah, that might be the most he wants to think he's doing a real show, and without the trappings of a fake CNN studio. It's harder to pretend that you're not just reading Twitter headlines and then getting mad about them. But I do I do feel like this idea that it's a waste of time and everything has been a waste of time. I just want to give a little bit of voice to the fact that it may feel like a waste of time and nothing has been achieved. But you know, if you listen to the perspective of some of the plaintiffs and some of the families, the ability to face him in court and reclaim some of the power that he had over memories, yeah, and the power and the pain. You know, that isn't something that is quantifiable in terms of the money or you know, all of his feet dragging, but it is something that matters, and I don't want to pretend that that hasn't been achieved. Oh great, as much as it's not the catharsis of him getting arrested or losing all of his money or whatever that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean, I just I think we all needed to understand clearly from the beginning what this was, and that would have altered kind of the way that this is perceived. Like if we had all known from the jump, Like if all the lawyers and everybody and all the media had gotten together and been like, listen, this is going to be a moral victory, and it's gonna be good to have this like in public, to have this airing for all of us to see and for the families to have.
Speaker 4: I think we would have been fine with that.
Speaker 5: The problem was all the rest of the stuff was a waste of everybody's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does that make sense? Yeah, No, that makes sense to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think if we had just had that, this could all have been banged out in a day.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like we get everybody in court, everybody gets to say their piece, and then we're done, and Alex gets to remain rich.
Speaker 4: It's basically the same thing.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, We're gonna keep talking on this, and I'm gonna ask you guys for an update on how Alex is handling the election too. But first, what's all handle some ads and we're back. You know, this is one thing, this is gonna right.
Speaker 3: I got to stop you. I can't believe you're running an ad for doctor Jones Natural.
Speaker 2: Well, that's just very different, very different naturals. Though, very different naturals. Not we are, we are using that in the porn sense. My okay, My Alex Jones deep fake pornography website is off the ground. For seventy dollars a month. You two can have a subscription Doctor j Jones Shrunk Natural.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, doctor doctor Jones Supplements.
Speaker 4: You have some real trunk naturals.
Speaker 2: Honestly, most of what I do is just take clips from the graduate and uh and put him in as the as the male elite. I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I don't know why to give people what they want.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we made forty million dollars last month.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should. We should have stopped with this whole no ads thing.
Speaker 2: So I I I want to talk a little bit about how Alex has been handling the election. Because you know, one of the things that's always interesting to me is how his sense about whether or not everyone's doomed to be, you know, murdered by the New World Order and have their corpse disposed of by a robot is not related at all to like how conservatism is doing, how how his party has picked candidates are doing. It's it's a pure his own personal vibes, because right now is not a terrible time if you're a fascist in the United States. There's a real good chance they're going to have a have a runaway win here in the next couple of weeks. But alex is, at least based on the most recent episode of Knowledge Fight I've listened to more or less on the everything is fucked and we're all doomed. The New World Order is going to eat you all things. I think it's just because he's got the auction team coming by his office.
Speaker 3: Well a spoiler alert in the next episode, he's had a euphorium moment because he's realized that they're gonna win.
Speaker 5: They've already won. You've you're far you're way too far behind. Now Tomorrow, of course, they will be losing, and we're all gonna die.
Speaker 3: He's a rapid cycling kind of guy.
Speaker 4: I don't do that We're gonna win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean I think I think that, you know, we've even talked about this before, this dynamic of like your enemy has to be uh, super strong and then super defeatable and super weak, like all of that must exist simultaneously or else. Yeah, you know his game doesn't really work as well. Yeah, so that that energy is going to keep going until the election.
Speaker 4: And also it makes sense.
Speaker 5: I mean, I can't imagine the idea of a bunch of professional people coming into my home or place of business and just like cataloging things, just taking each individual pictures, the amount of stress and nervous energy that that would provide. Yeah, like I'd be like I did, I didn't know. I don't know if I needed to clean that. I don't know if I needed to clean it.
Speaker 3: She would be getting real.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I just like cleaning up my dad's place after he died was like this whole thing of all of these are items that have meaning to our family, and I would be okay burning them all in a fire in.
Speaker 4: A pit, right yeah, right, Like I'm just I'm done.
Speaker 2: I'm done. So I can't imagine like the sense of fuck it I would have and Alex is, especially if I had Alex Jones money, like he really it's just more evidence that there's a deep sickness involved in all this with him, like he can't stop himself, like yes, go fish or something, bro like go on a nice fishing trip. What are you doing sitting in your office watching your life get picked apart? What a miserable place.
Speaker 4: Give everybody the day off. It's great.
Speaker 3: Fishing's not going to stop the devil, and that is really uh, you.
Speaker 5: Know, fishing is actually how the devil gets out. It's every water is a portal to the fifth dimension of Hell, which is actually the lower fifth. There's a higher fifth dimension where good demons come I mean, angels come out of but then the lower fifth dimension comes up through the pond, and that's where catfish come from.
Speaker 3: This is not an Alex theory, but it plausibly could be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I wasn't far off.
Speaker 2: No, no, So how are we? How are we doing with Alex in terms of like one thing I've noticed maybe I have a You can tell me if you agree with my kind of interpretation here is that he seems to be at a little bit of a lower ebb in terms of getting invited on and talking with like much more popular creators. I haven't seen like last year, I felt like I saw him on a lot of stuff, and this year. I don't know if it's just that he's not, you know, as sexy as he was to them last year. But I'm just not seeing him out as much as I kind of expected to in an election. And I'm wondering if that's your interpretation too, or if I'm just kind of you think I'm off.
Speaker 3: I think it's fifty to fifty because I think that there is something to that, Like he was on he's been on more fun stuff before in the past, and it's been it's been a little bit limited this year, but he was just on Tucker's Live show in Pennsylvania, which is about as big as anything he's done. Probably it at least it feels pretty big.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't the two drunk sports guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, flagrant two flagrant too. That might have been a few years ago too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my memory is terrible.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been back on Rogan. Yeah, you know, there's some big there's some big gaps in terms of like where he feels like he should be appearing. But you know, if you look at the luminaries that were on the Tucker Carlson tour, like him being included in that list of people is pretty you know, that's that's rarefied air.
Speaker 4: I mean, unfortunately, I guess it is in a way.
Speaker 3: You got RFK Junior, Yeah, you got the vic.
Speaker 5: They're consequential people, which is the most desruning part is that these are the dregs of humanity and yet they are very consequential people that we should be paying attention.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely infuriating that, Yeah, I have to care about especially fucking Vivac. Yeah, because I ran into him at the fucking RNC and he was being surrounded by a cloud of guys who all looked like Nick Fuintes. Like the only reason I didn't assume one of them was Nick Fuintes is that any one of them could have been Nick Fuintes. And I had to fight this urge. Do you're seeing those like old man comics, like a guy I'll be fighting one hundred shrews and like eating one of them to death with the others, I had to fight off the urge to pick up one Fuintes by the lakes. It just starts swinging him.
Speaker 4: Just start swinging.
Speaker 3: You are my weapon.
Speaker 2: So like, where do you where do you see Alex a year from now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, do you have any kind of expectation for where he's going to be, because like, at some point his dad has to die, which I understand is a pretty important part right now of how he's able to keep money flowing well to his operation the face of the judgment, right.
Speaker 3: His dad and his brother in law both run. Okay, the Doctor Jones naturals, So even if Old David Jones catch the bucket, his brother is still going to be there. So I think, I think Alex is fine. But he almost killed his dad with COVID.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I am surprised Doctor Jones lived through that, given alexis.
Speaker 3: Yeah gorilla sitting on his chest, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it is a little bit of a testament to how insane and how the best torture for Alex is just being cursed with being Alex is. Like if I was in this scenario where I plausibly have a reason to never touch or talk about money again, and yet still make the almost exact same amount of it.
Speaker 4: That would be perfect. That's just taking a job away from me right now.
Speaker 5: It's my dad's problem to look at the sales numbers.
Speaker 4: Dr tr anywhere else.
Speaker 3: That's not a good ad man. That's the thing you can do a good read.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if Alex is the face guy, doctor Jones handles the business, that means that Alex doesn't have to do both.
Speaker 4: It makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: But to your question, though, like I really do feel like right now we're in the most chaotic possible moment because you have these two things that could go any direction that are happening around the same time. Like you have the election, and then you also have the auction, right, and if Trump wins or loses, there's a lot of different possibilities of how his path might go. And if someone who he's aligned with ends up buying the company or not, that's another Like the world would be very different in terms of the choices that he has in front of him. Yeah, but I think it'll be bad. I think he'll be unhappy that I think, no matter what I think, will be pretty miserable. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's just because of him. He's just a real miserable piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I spend a lot of time thinking about his bee cast and how they might do because I again, I I don't see a world in which Alex gives up what he's doing. But I do see a world in which he can no longer pay Owen Schroyer.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And that's that's the truth, that's the true goal, when it's.
Speaker 2: Not making what a heartbreaking amount of money. I'm sure more further into the six figures than Owen Shrotier ot to be.
Speaker 3: I wonder what the deal with him would be though, Like he went to jail for Alex.
Speaker 2: God, it's true, he sure did.
Speaker 3: He did. Time, Like what could he tell if he was off the payroll or you know, like or how much do you pay to keep him on the payroll? Because he's the kind of guy who went to jail for you.
Speaker 5: I mean, if you look at a I mean, David Knight's not going to jail for you. But if that's if that's a comparable exit for a personal popularity, I don't think Owen's got much of a shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he can be tossed into the ocean.
Speaker 3: But I think Chase Chase Geyser is more of a beat player than Owen.
Speaker 5: We just have a personal he just Chase Geyser is a new character who's popped up in the later seasons of the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he's.
Speaker 5: Really brought a new He's brought a lot of a late season juice to it that I think we needed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's better than No One though, that's fr Yeah.
Speaker 2: See I was going to say, it's like when Fraser brought on all those British people. But speaking of British people, our sponsors might be British. We don't check and we're back. Okay, guys, So I guess, kind of closing stuff out, what do you think this year have been the big pieces of Alex misinformation that you've seen people spreading online? Like, what's kind of been your biggest I'm guessing this is gonna be a Jordan heavy question, but.
Speaker 5: Like stuff about Alex or stuff yeah, yeah, yeah, stuff about Alex that's like specifically, what kind of stuff have you heard, like people in media saying about Alex this year that has pissed you off the most? I Mean, the funny part of this question is that I've actually left the Internet about as much as possible because of the rage that the rage that I feel at this very situation.
Speaker 2: A wise move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, I honestly, I think I think the big thing for me personally is just the if we are going to talk about Alex's auction, then to me, what we're talking about is how much money the families are going to receive. That's to me in my head of if we're gonna talk money, then what we should talk about is the end point. How much do the families get And even if this auction just goes gangbusters, the families are going to get so so little of whatever happens because they're the last in line before you pay, like Norm Pattis is going to make more money at the end of all of this process than any of the family members.
Speaker 4: That's just that's just probably.
Speaker 5: True, I would say, if not guaranteed true at this point, unless of course Mark Cuban or somebody a billionaire shows up and showers them with money. But for the most part, it's it's like, the end goals should be the families, they should be first, but that's the wrong thing.
Speaker 4: They're the last. So it's very annoying, it's very frustrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is especially given that, like that's the whole reason for the suit, Like that's.
Speaker 4: The whole reason for the season.
Speaker 2: But I mean, obviously the system is not conducted to benefit family last who are suffering. That's not who makes the rules, that's not who operates the system. The system. Yeah, okay, we don't need to rant about that. It is a bummer, Dan, what about you?
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe it's recency bias and stuff, but like, I do think that the conversation around the auction is missing a little bit of the point, whether it be in terms of you know, what the sale is, like you were bringing up Jordan, or like people thinking that there is a solution to the problem that Alex represents, Like this isn't going to be like a ding Dong the Witch's dead type moment. You're going to have, you know, his new thing funded by the companies that he's been building up to avoid the bankruptcy, or you're going to have somebody who's with him but that buys it in for wars is going to be the same problem on November fourteenth or whatever as it was the day before. And I think that I think that people are getting themselves may be a little bit up for a disappointment. Yeah, and I think that we've seen that a couple times, like with the alexad the night where he claimed that security guards were trying to shut him down. You know, people got excited about like this is it? Yeah yep, And I think maybe I'm jaded too because of years of doing this.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost never it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I want to say this and I want people to recognize that this is true in regards to this scenario. You are never going to come. You're never going to come. It's never going to happen. You're going to be perpetually close, and then you're not gonna make it, and then you're gonna come back. That's how it is.
Speaker 2: If you're into edging, Alex is the guy to follow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's perfect.
Speaker 2: So I think that that's actually really good advice. Like if you if you just as a layman, are hearing people talk about Alex Jones on social media or like seeing some sort of like opinion column or whatever and some you know, left wing or liberal rag and you want to know, like how credible is this? I guess the first question to ask is are they predicting a massive change to Alex and what he actually does, because if so, probably nothing has got Unless it's like an article that he's been diagnosed with the disease, nothing's probably going to change, right, at some point he's going to die. I'm not being mean.
Speaker 3: I don't even know.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't believe that article. I wouldn't believe a word in that article.
Speaker 3: They're lying, well, you take that illness with doctor Marbles to.
Speaker 4: Get out, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: The deposition of them, so like he you know, fu fuck even that. Yeah, I think I look at it slightly differently, and that is that I do predict that there will be a massive change. We just don't know what it'll be. Sure like there'll be something. He's got to do something, because his content is really stagnant and a bit uninteresting in the Trump sense. Yeah, and I do. I think that there is a change that will be needed if he wants to maintain whatever he's doing. But I mean, anybody who has an idea of what it is is wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I imagine that predicting anything in the next sixty days is going to be a ridiculous proposition. If you had predicted a new hurricane fucking two weeks ago, people would have thought you were crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I think that's all I had to ask. Guys, anything you wanted to plug will bring up before we close out.
Speaker 3: Uh no, just we exist to where we have a show.
Speaker 2: I'll check out Knowledge Fight. It's my favorite podcast. It's the only only reasonable way to keep up with Alex Jones and a whole network of other con men and grifters who who kind of latch onto him like that fish that lives on the underside of a shark, except for Alex. Alex is also a remora or remera. Right, So it's just like a It's like a just a series of smaller and smaller ones, each sucking each other off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds about right.
Speaker 2: And Alex is latched onto the side of a crew ship toilet. Yeah, there were more on the cruise ship toilet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've now turned this into a human centipede situation. I have, I have.
Speaker 2: I don't know why again again, it's all this is all viral marketing for doctor Jones's Big Naturals.
Speaker 5: Now figured out an appropriate punishment for defamation of character human centipedes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been saying that for years years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like and I do have to point this out. Sure, that is both cruel and very unusual.
Speaker 5: It is perhaps the most unusual thing you could imagine.
Speaker 2: Really, I hate to say, but somebody, it would it would take like some of these people three months to have several thousand people convinced that human centipeding is like a mental health hack, like it's it's it's like getting rid of seed oils. You know, that's how you accelerate muscle development.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Ancient cavemen were always eating each other ship you know what You've also you've also made a very good point.
Speaker 5: If you this this whole thing. If you want to stop Alex, Alex is a symptom. Alex is a symptom of the larger problem. You need to regulate supplements, Yes, FDA approved supplements.
Speaker 2: We'll get rid of most of these guys every podcast episode we can. We are pushing the line. In my dream. If I accomplish one thing in my life, it would be getting this to become widely agreed upon by liberals and the left. Regulate supplements, allowed direct sales of cars to consumers yep, and ban MLMs, and prosecute people criminally for trying to operate them. Do that, and you fix a lot of other problems.
Speaker 3: I would do something about precious metals businesses too, I would throw that.
Speaker 2: Well. Hey, now, hey, now, Mike Lindell's giving us some gold money. Sir, right, you just wait wait right there untill he runs out.
Speaker 3: Dan, pillow sales are illegal, also, I should.
Speaker 2: Pillows are illegal? Makes your neck week Yep, all right, everybody listen to knowledge by Thank you, Dan and Jordan. As always, we'll be back tomorrow with some other episode of this podcast that we do every day.
Speaker 7: Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Garrison. This is a little special episode today. I'm joined by Alex from Corvalis Antifa and Hank, who's using a pseudonym for personal safety from the Left Coast Right Watch Team. Hello to you both, and thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 8: Hey, what's happening? Thank you so much for having us, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 9: Good to be here.
Speaker 7: So today we're gonna be talking about this group called White Lives Matter. I guess originally White Lives Matter was like a slogan and like a very a very loose group from like twenty fifteen, or at least it kind of started in twenty fifteen as a reaction to the growing Black Lives Matter movement. I know, I definitely saw this, this phrase propagated via like memes, flyers, billboards, and other forms of propaganda as a way to like seed white nationalist rhetoric to the then like growing and burgeoning.
Speaker 8: Al Right, Yeah, so there was a formation that was kind of like an NSM splinter formation that happened in an in reaction to the initial Black Lives Matter protests in twenty fifteen. The White Lives Matter that we're talking about today is a different formation entirely that utilizes sort of the same slogan. They are a group that started in like twenty twenty one and have been organizing primarily on telegram and have grown really rapidly across the country of the years since.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like we can see the early use of this phrase spread by you mentioned the National Socialist Movement, along with a few other kind of collection of neo Nazis, the Aryan Resistance Society and the Aryan Nationalist Alliance. But then things kind of like died down. It was just it was like a slogan you could see at rallies, but it wasn't it wasn't anything like too prominent, honestly. But then we had this big second wave in twenty twenty one with Telegram channels promoting a White Lives Matter march or a series of martians to be held across the country on like April eleventh. This batch of rallies were mostly a failure, in part due to the efforts of anti fascists who worked disabotage the planning of these rallies ahead of time. Of the rallies that did eventually take place, really only a handful of white supremacists showed up and most were outnumbered by anti fascist counter demonstrators. So then after this initial event with these with this like big batch of like of like channels on Telegram, which is this like encrypted messaging platform based out of Russia. It's not very good. Don't use it unless you're trying to infiltrate a Nazi group. But after these like fail rallies, White Lives Matter kind of turned into yet another one of these networks for white supremacists and neo Nazis that advocate quote unquote pro white activism. Typically this includes like putting up white nationalists like stickers around neighborhoods, hanging large banners with fascist rhetoric or Nazi imagery, flyering, and just spreading propaganda online with the occasional like in person rally. I think you can see kind of the peak of like the White Lives Matter slogan, at least was when it was propagated to the degree that Kanye west Ward on a T shirt during his little Nazi era back in twenty twenty two. And I think now you see White Lives Matter as like a network. It overlaps and crosses over a lot with like similar groups like the GDL that's the Going Defense League, as well as the National Socialist Club and Patriot Front to some degree. I guess one thing that I wanted to talk about is that, and this is mentioned in the Corvalis and TIFA article on the organ chapter of White Lives Matter, is like the idea of hiding your power level, which we used to talk about it a little bit more. I think in some ways a much Nazis kind of blew their cover back around twenty twenty, but now you see kind of more attempts to try to seed a white nationalist rhetoric into other kind of right wing spaces to push them farther along that radicalization pathway. And I would like to have a discussion at least a little bit about how White Lives Matter specifically tries to hide their power level, like kind of disguise the level of like overt fascism that they're really proposing by employing this like quote unquote like pro white rhetoric.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So White Lives Matter as a national organization is extremely like conscious of what they would describe as like their optics. They are very intent on like radicalizing who they perceive to be everyday white people into sort of fascist politics. And in their national level manuals and the materials that they provide the leaders of statewide organizations, they specifically talk about stuff like not displaying Nazi flags or using like neo Nazi rhetoric despite that being what they believe. But their sort of goal is to use more innocuous styles of sloganeering, like you know, the phrase like white lives matter and protect white babies stuff like that as ways to kind of open the door to get people to become interested in a more like overtly national socialist politic that they can radicalize people to who like join their group. And you see a lot of groups like Active Clubs, Patriot Front, other sort of white nationalists formations using the national WL on the BORG as sort of a way to recruit to their own organizations with this sort of more innocuous, subtle style of propaganda.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and like one other thing that's pointed out in the in the Crabalis and Tifa article is like they don't just do agit prop, Like they're not just a group that is composed of only doing stickering. There's been multiple instances when their online propaganda as well as their like in person stickering, escalates to real to real violence. Last year, a twenty eight year old from New Jersey attacked an anti racism concert at a church. He yelled White Lives Matter at attendees, threw smoke pomps at the church, and then tried to bear spray the crowd, think inadvertently bear sprague himself, which he then recorded a video talking about and posted online. Later in air, fifteen and high capacity magazines were found in his home alongside White Lives Matter propaganda, and later that year, a twenty year old male associated with White Lives Matter firebombed a church in Ohio, and the church was picked as a target because it planned to host two drag events. After being arrested, police found six firearms and dozens of loaded magazines alongside Nazi paraphernalia. This guy also wrote a manifestor defending his actions and specifically stating that he was happy about it because people online were proud of him. And you can even go back to the White Lives Matter rallies back in twenty twenty one, especially the one in Huntington Beach which saw a degree of physical violence. It's important not just not to just write these groups off as being like, oh, they only do banner drops, oh they only do stickers, because not only is like propaganda really important part of growing the number of them out there, but they also do real world violence.
Speaker 8: It's also important to talk about like the ways that WLM is organizationally connected to like more like scary elements of the neo Nazi right. Recently, Left Coast Right Watch published proof that Matthew Allison, who was one of the leaders of the Terrogram collective who was recently arrested, was responsible for some of the national WLM like propaganda that they published, which is quite concerning. So you know, even these groups that are more movementarian than nature and are trying to appeal to you know, you know more quote unquote nor me white people are like directly in bed with people who are like as scene with mass shooters and.
Speaker 7: Like terrorists yep, specifically try to like groom people into becoming mass shooters. Yes, I mean, and like that's why I think specifically with both these guys who did physical violence, you can see violence as like it as like an escalatory thing for the person who's like doing it right, you start off with throwing am al top cocktail, and then later you might do a mass shooting. It's like a testing ground. You can see the same thing with you know, bear macing and anti racism concert. The fact that both these guys, specifically the one in Ohio had like a lot a lot of guns, and like we're in America, there's a lot of guns around, but having that many guns and loaded magazines in Ohio as a twenty year old with all that Nazi paraphernalia like that, that is what a Nazi mass shooter's like bedroom looks like. And these are not like isolated incidents. I guess let's let's take a bit of a break and we will come back to talk about specifically the organ chapter of White Lives Matter and what they've been getting up to the past few months. All Right, So, after Krela Santifa leaked like chatlogs from the organ White Lives Matter group back in twenty twenty one, the chapter went to dormant, and then it restarted earlier this year. I guess, Alex, can you walk us through kind of the rebirth of White Lives Matter Oregon.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So, the way that WOLM works as a national organization is there's like a series of groups that all kind of are extant, like they there are groups, and then people would like apply to be with the national org to be like a leader of a state group. So back when w OLM initially began as a thing in twenty twenty one, our group was running the Oregon chapter and exposed several people who tried to join that group, and then after that like interest in that organization became it stopped existing for several years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Then earlier this year we noticed that somebody had taken over the chapter and had started engaging in some stickering and some propaganda. So we were like, well, you know, we may as well join this group and see what's up. So we infiltrated the organization, gathered information about the membership, and published that information online in order to warn the communities that these guys in habit about their activities. The group, you know, was doing stuff that was not like extremely intense, like they were doing stickers, they did two banner drops or three banner drops successfully rather But in their chat we also found that they were talking a lot about like you know, military training and escalating and you know, even though this group kind of like seemed very low key and was like not doing anything, you know, super scary, like, the stuff they're talking about is concerning, and they're getting organized and they're getting to know each other. So we put a kibosh on that.
Speaker 7: So it looks like, according to a research the new leader is this guy named Cruz. Dean Walters.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, so Cruz is marine kind of wash out who lives in McMinnville, Oregon. Until very recently was living a double life. He was living with his mom and his fiance, neither of who knew about his racist beliefs and now knew he was a highly incompetent leader who you know, really had a tremendous number of security flaws in his organization, you know, as is evidenced by the fact that we were able to you know, infiltrate and destroy it in a matter of just a few months. But you know, it is worth noting that, like the group grew from just a handful of people to you know, doing banner drops with like, you know, six or seven folks in just a couple, you know, a couple of short months. Like, even though these groups can kind of be benign, if there winds up being somebody who is like particularly passed it behind the channel, like, they can transform into something less benign very very quickly. And that's something we want to impart to other anti fascists across the country, is there are all these channels and they might be seen in kind of like benign now, but they can turn into something very malignant very quickly.
Speaker 7: I wanted to ask specifically about Cruise's radicalization. It's written in your piece that he was radicalized in part by the GDL, the Going Defense League, and participated in the city council desk squads, as reported by our own Molly Conger, and then just seemingly like just getting bored of just calling into city council meetings to Yelsler's he then like coued the organization. So I'm curious if he ever wrote about or talked about his background with the GDL and his like apparent boredom at their particular style of like a white supremacist activism.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so he, I think was just kind of like sitting on the internet as like a fucking, you know, dorky, lonely, sad little man, and you know, got into the GDL. For those who have the fortune of not knowing, the GDL is sort of this network of like really grotesque, highly cringey racist Twitch streamers or not on Twitch anymore, but like you know there's streamers.
Speaker 4: Nonetheless, they've been banned from Twitch. But yeah, but.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so they have this program called the City Council Death Squad where they will like call into like your local city council meeting and just like yellow slurs at the bleeder municipal employees that have to sit and watch. They did one Corvalis and like watching the footage was just like watching like these like grown men acting like children, like you know, hollering at like random like city councilor twenty three or whatever. It's really like pathetic. So I think, you know, Cruse kind of saw that and many do you know, the GDL is just a tremendously fucking pathetic organization. And he was like kind of decided that he wanted to get more involved, and he chose to get involved with WLM as opposed to like another neo Nazi formation because WLM is like a really really easy entry point and has a very like, you know, kind of base politic. It's not like you know, Patriot Front or an active club where there are you know, membership requirements and you have to engage in certain amounts of organizing activity or whatever. It's just very easy for you know, your lazy Nazi to engage with.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, it definitely feels like the lazy person's option who doesn't want to go through the work of being vetted by like actual, like larger organizations.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and he he took over the chapter from an even lazier Nazi named Christian Coats who lives in Portland, Orion, who is like this old school bonehead from the two thousands who like has some hate crime charges from like I think like attempting to and failing to assault some black teams in like two thousand and seven. So Christian had in the interceding years between us destroying the initial iteration of w Olm taking it over and basically done like zilch with it. He posts like one photo on the channel. Ever, but then he got taken over by this dude Cruise, who grew the organization from like just a few people to you know, being a reasonable street presence in a short number of months, obviously at the expense of including an anti fascist infiltrator, and you know, also just a true coterie of scumbags and idiots in the in the group.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: One of the other guys that you've identified is I don't know how to say his last name, but Casey I want to say Nutson.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, Casey Knutson, who.
Speaker 7: After being kicked out of both the Proud Boys and Patriot Front, made his own group in twenty twenty two, the Rose City Nationalists, which is kind of the laughing stock of all white pharmacist groups in the PNW, and the group has the group has largely fallen apart after being just extensively investigated and exposed by local antie fascists almost to a comical extent.
Speaker 8: Yeah, ourselves, Rose City Antifa and the Stufftown Research Collective have been kind of going through and just you know, ripping apart. RCN and RCIEN is at this point more or less just Casey and this fella named Jared Huber who is an absolute like freak. He's got a bunch of tattoos all over his face. He was arrested for kicking a puppy nearly to death and beating up his grandfather. Just real scumbag.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they all have like domestic violence charges and you know.
Speaker 4: Are just yes.
Speaker 8: Real nightmare folks. The funniest thing about Rose City Nationalists is they gotten this conflict with the Proud Boys that I believe it was in Oregon City where they got just absolutely washed by some drunken Proud Boys on the street. Not because of like ideological issues, but just because they like have you know, interpersonal issues between Casey and the Portland chapter of the Proud Boys.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 8: You know, they are truly just a laughing stock and are just like you know, I hate to use the term, but kind of like locals at this point.
Speaker 7: No, I mean and one thing that you do, like document is just how many of these guys are like domestic abusers, and like this is not uncommon for like these types of fellows. But also Cruise like both admitted to stealing a gun and also abusing his wife and threatening other family with firearms. And this is like a trend across as so many of the people exposed in these articles. Is the extent to which they're all in viewed in like disposal abuse, child abuse. It's it's just it's one of the very consistent factors.
Speaker 8: Yeah, misogyny is you know, one of the very very core parts of neo Nazism and white nationalism. And yeah, there's a really really horrible like section of texts in art article that where Cruz discusses like physically hitting his fiance and then threatening his brother with a firearm. And yeah, it's really really common that these people have domestic abuse charges. Multiple people in w lam Oregon have histories of domestic abuse, including Jaron Huber and Casey Knutson, who are the two other members. And yeah, it's just anytime you look at a Nazi group, there's a dude who beats his wife, and it like kind of barn On. As long as we've been doing this work, we've been seeing it.
Speaker 7: I'd like to talk now about the second in command of White Lives Matter Oregon, this small business owner in Couse Bay named Michael Witt Gaiton Byne who usually just goes by Wit. Now, Witt has been a part of the White Lives Matter Oregon banner drops, and that was also responsible for a lot of the stickering that gets done as he leaves stickers across the truck stop bathrooms up and down the coast. Now, WIT's kind of a fascinating fellow to me. He has shockingly bad op SEC, kind of one of the worst examples I've ever seen. His very easily recognized custom flatbed truck can be seen at banner drops in August and it even appears in their own like propaganda videos for another banner drop in September. He like talked about his just like utter disregard for off SEC in one of the audio archives that you have hosted on left Goo's right watch, what else can you tell us about kind of WIT's background here?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so what is a Nazi?
Speaker 6: And I believe his mother is actually you know, he said at one point his mother was like quote awakened.
Speaker 9: To the truth about the Jews or something like that.
Speaker 6: So he seems to come from at the very least an anti Semitic family. But he himself is certainly a Nazi, and I think he has believed he can operate with impunity in kous Bay. So I think it's less that he has bad op second, more believes he seems to think of himself as living in a world where it's okay to be a Nazi. Sure, we can talk a little bit more about that, but yeah, he runs a company called Wit Industries, which he's claimed does business from Mexico to Russia. He works in the marine, marine and maritime industry within the Port of Kouz Bay and kous County. We know that he's gotten about a quarter million dollars in public contracts, primarily from the Port of kous Bay, but also the Port of Aumqua, the City of North Bend, Kou's County, South Coast Education Service District.
Speaker 9: That's just what we've found so far.
Speaker 6: It can be pretty difficult to find, you know, even though this is public money, it can still be sort of a pretty difficult process to get public records and things like that.
Speaker 9: But you know, we know that the Port of kus Bay.
Speaker 6: Alone has awarded him like two hundred nineteen thousand dollars in contracts for work ranging from hydraulics repairs and replacements on vessels on the bridge. He's also pained the state dredge and the trailer and things like that.
Speaker 9: You mentioned him using his work vehicle.
Speaker 8: So he he has.
Speaker 6: Stated, and this is from you know, information we have from the Cornellis INTI for infiltration. He stated that part of his goal is to build a white supremacist called in Coos Bay. He wants to get guys elected to mayor and city council and things like that. And he actually was using White Lives Matter to recruit guys to come and work for him. He was recruiting a guy named wand And Calhoun, who is also an alleged pedophile. And we go into in the left Colus Right Watch article, but if he got this alleged pedophile land In to come and work for him, they met in White Lives Matter and he said, hey, come work for an all white organization where we can come and build the movement together.
Speaker 9: And as far as we know, it does.
Speaker 6: Appear that Landon has moved there, who's planning to move there in this fall, and we believe he's currently there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I like to kind of go by some of these points one by one because he's he's certainly like a worrying figure. The fact that he's using his income, which is largely derived of government contracts, to like specif defictly, like fund white Ermas detectivity in the PNW, and like use his own company resources to grow the number of far right extremists in cus Bay, specifically his plans of like having them eventually like occupied positions of local government. It's a degree of like long term planning that isn't always present in some of these types of guys. You know, plans are one thing, but when you actually have a business that you are like hiring people to move to this town to like actually build this plan up, like, it shows a degree of hutspa. I guess on his part that he's actually like doing this. It kind of reminds me of the Rise Above movements tree trimming business, but that was just to pay bills. They had no plans to like slowly actually just like take over a small town. There's a lot of these businesses that are run by Nazis that primarily hire other Nazis. But the degree to which that Michael wit Is is able to operate without much oversight and just get get all of this money from local government is certainly worrying.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 7: He stated that one of his employees like prints out all of his White Lives Matter stickers and has gotten help from employees to do one banner drop outside of Roseberg, and has a history of hiring far right people, conspiracy theorists and like monetarily supporting them to like help them continue their own far right activism.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you mentioned his employees that were printing the stickers for him. That was before he hired Landon, So yeah, he already has guys that are that are doing this and the port. I think it's important to point out that the point of cou'se bay, it's public body. The commissioners are elected by the governor and they're confirmed by the organ Senate you know, or yeah, the Moorgan.
Speaker 9: Senate, I believe it is.
Speaker 6: So this is a state body that is giving state funding to this Nazi and I think that's really important to name.
Speaker 9: It's also like just to give people a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of the geography, because it's a small town that actually geographically takes quite.
Speaker 9: A while to like drive from North Bend to Coos Bay.
Speaker 6: And Witt lives right over by the Charleston Marina, and we know he's pretty in bed with the marina folks.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 6: There was a big organ Department of Transportation grant to the state level that the port had written that Wit would have been one of the.
Speaker 9: Like people making money. He was like written.
Speaker 6: Officially into this grant for it was a three point five million dollar grant that.
Speaker 9: Wit was written into, right, so.
Speaker 4: They're like his friends, you know, like they're like, yeah.
Speaker 9: They're writing him into these grants. Witt's office is.
Speaker 6: Over there on Ocean View Boulevard, which is right next to the Confenrated Tribes of Kuzler m Quan sayslaw Indians tribal housing office, and right next to one of their casinos. And just to give folks the terrain of where he's living and kind of operate and too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, hello Garrison from the future, just to cutting in to say something that Hank said, but I got a little bit garbled in the voice modulation. So I just want to stay at a little bit more clearly here, there's some other events that can help contextualize what WIT is doing in Kuse Bay, because currently in Kous County there's this sort of intense far right power grab that is slowly happening. Some people might know of this radio host named Rob Taylor. He's said to be one of the guys who coordinated the breaching of the Oregon Capital in late December, which was basically a test run for January sixth, and he's hosted people with the far right group Patriot Prayer. He has an old gab account which was essentially like Nazi Twitter before Twitter just became Nazi Twitter under Elon Musk. So this guy is like very comfortable and associates with extremely far right people as well as engaged in a level of activism in Oregon at least. So that's Rob Taylor, the radio guy. There's this other person named Rod Taylor who's a Kus County commissioner who actually was a January sixth insurrectionist. He was arrested at the capitol on Jay six Now Michael went to Geitonbine has also previously impled this guy named Matt Wilbanks who's a buddy of Rob Taylor. He runs this blog called The Daily Resistor and also one of the kous County neighborhood watch groups in the Empire District of cous Bay, which is mostly just focused on like doxing and harassing homeless people. And these guys are also part of various mega groups like Citizens Restoring Liberty, and Wit himself is a part of this network. He has attended Citizens Restoring Liberty events. He's also an admin on a Telegram channel called the organ Patriot Alliance, which is like this mega patriots organizing channel on Telegram. Nominally, these mega types typically say that they are, you know, not for Nazis, They are against Nazis, they are against pedophiles, and yet they are associating with Wit here who employs a pedophile and is a Nazi. But one other thing that Hank said that I want to reiter rate is that Kuspe is also a contested space. Although there is this intensely far right power graph happening, there's also a whole bunch of other much more positive activism. Hank pointed to the tribal communities of fighting for Indigenous sovereignty as well as environmentalist groups calling bs on the port's greenwashing of all their projects. So it's not just that like everyone's Nazis now in Cuse Bay. Yes, Wit is a Nazi and people should be concerned about that, but it is a contested space home to a diverse group of people who are also fighting for good things. We're now going to have an ad break and then return to talk more about White Lives Matter Oregon. Okay, we are back, and uh, Alex, you said you wanted to add something on this point about Toose Bay being a contested space.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think one thing that is important to just like throw onto what Hank is saying about Who's Bay as a contested space is like it's not entirely unheard of for neo Nazis to kind of try to do these projects of like moving a bunch of people to certain usually rural areas to you know, try to take them over, you know, most notably like Leaf, North Dakota, where Crane Com tried to take over. But well, I think has been shown really repeatedly is that these projects have failed because the communities that live there, you know, even if they're rural communities, even if they're small towns, don't have it and are willing to fight back. And that's what we're really hoping to see from folks on the Oregon South coast being willing to push back against this sort of thing like was done in Leaf and you know, forcing these people out of the institutions they're trying to inhabit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and especially with someone like Michael here, because he's like hiring people who advocate going much farther than white lives matter to actually engage in like paramilitary training, hiring someone who is like not just accused of being a pedophile, but has admitted to Michael that his family like hates him because of an allegation that he's that he's touched someone and that Michael himself witnessed this guy Calhoun being quote unquote hands on with an eight year old girl while while they were meeting together in Cuspe. There's like that side of it. And then you have him like posting on telegram about like wanting the day of the rope to come faster, kind of like an old like Nazi slogan about like racial like lynchings and like furthering racial conflict as well as like sharing instructions from the meme Woffen telegram channel about how to make Maltov cocktails. I believe we've talked about Meme Waffen on the show before. So he's like doing all of this type of stuff that's like so much more obviously objectionable, while also trying to like make like space for himself within like the mega community, right being the admin of this organ Patriots Alliance telegram channel, which is like also an attempt just to like further the radicalization of these like mega centric members by like inundating them with more explicit kind of fascistic propaganda, but on like a slow level.
Speaker 4: And then there are.
Speaker 7: Multi million and multi billion dollar government projects to improve the port that is expected to receive funds from. And I feel like this is something that's pretty pretty objectionable and it should be easy to stop, but it requires like attention and it requires a degree of public pressure to make sure that the government, both state and federal, are not giving funds to like an explicit neo Nazi who hires alleged pedophiles to fund like right wing activism across the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 9: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 6: And I think it's important to point out too, like you know, kus Bay is in this process. They have the intermodal Port of Kus Bay, which is like a two point three billion dollar project where they want to become like, you know, they want to be as big of a port as Oakland, California or whatever. And you know, one of the things, I mean, my understanding from talking to folks in Cuz Bay is that it's just greenwashed capitalism that will be destructive to the environment.
Speaker 9: It won't actually bring the community the.
Speaker 6: Kind of like are like what about bike lanes, you know, like there's like community infrastructure people want in cus Bay and dredging the port is not that, you know.
Speaker 9: And I think there's also like a couple of examples of that is it.
Speaker 6: Will destroy eel grass, which is a really important marine habitat and also source of storage carbon. It will destroy indigenous cultural resources or impact those spaces. And you know, we haven't seen the exact financials yet for what this project will be, but it's a two point three billion dollar project that involves dredging, you know, which is sort of deepening and widening.
Speaker 9: The port and the channels.
Speaker 6: And we know that Witt has gotten money, for example, to work on the state dredge and do work on it so I think it's very possible that wit would be until the Port takes the stand and says, hey, we're not funding this nazi who uses his work truck to do Nazi stuff. I think people should be really concerned about this port money going back to help build or not community that he's trying to build there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and like to your previous point, like the fact that he's able to be so flagrant about his white supremacist beliefs, the way that he doesn't feel like he needs to care about OPSEC because he has a job that's like irreplaceable, Like he provides a service to this community that he feels like no one else can do. Therefore he is secure in that, Like you can't allow them that level of comfortability, and that's something that has to be like opposed due to both like public pressure and research that like you have done, as well as the crucial work from corbetto Sentiva.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think just to add to like, like groups like the Organ's Bay Area, which is like a popular Facebook group has been doing a really great job like raising.
Speaker 9: Just talking about and what's going on.
Speaker 6: I think largely we really haven't seen much response from the Port of Cosbe or the governor who's confirming these commissioners, Like largely the sort of institutions of power are not yet responding, and so I think that's something that with local folks in KUSBEI could be pressuring. And also at a statewide level, right Like this is state funding and the Port of Caussebae development has.
Speaker 9: Federal funding too.
Speaker 6: But I think those are places where where there could really be a lot more pressure being applied, and I think a lot more people should be talking about all of this as well.
Speaker 9: As we mentioned earlier.
Speaker 6: You know, WIT claims to have a reputation and work and contracts all up and down the entire West coast. So certainly if there are listeners in here in Oakland or Alaska or Washington.
Speaker 9: Or wherever you might be who know the name.
Speaker 6: With GAT and Bne or WIT Industries and you want to send in a tip to Cornella's Antifa or whatever Marco's right watch, we would be really happy to hear what you know about this guy, because we know we know he's working in other communities. We we would love details or any tips folks might have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, would either of you like to kind of add anything else?
Speaker 7: Before we close out and point to people towards both your work and where to send.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I guess the thing that I would just close out with is WLM is not just an organ problem, it's a national problem. I know, this podcast reaches folks all across the country. If you are somebody who is Antifa curious or is interested in making a difference in your community, it's a group with really terrible security culture, and it might be worth taking a gander at that. And then, you know, God, it feels so silly to do a podcast plug, but please check out our work at CV antifa dot no blogs dot org. We're also on Twitter at CV against fash and Instagram at cv Antifa, and you know, we have lots of articles exposing neo Nazis in Oregon and across the country, and you might just find somebody in your community who sucks.
Speaker 6: Thank Yeah, I'll just add you know, if you want to see the of course, the LEFTUS Right Watch article gives a really deep dive on what and also information for public.
Speaker 9: Use has posted like the financials, so if you.
Speaker 6: Really want to like get into the numbers, it's worth looking there. And yeah, just to reiterate, I mean, I think kus Bay and so many other places are really contested spaces, and I think these Nazis want us to believe that they're in charge and that they're powerful, and they have this idea that they can operate with impunity, and it's really not true. Like we've seen small and rural towns take down Nazis all over this country, and I think that will continue. And I think that, yeah, like what tactics in ways people might do that from place to place can look different, but I just you know, encourage folks to dig into your local Nazis and get together and figure out how to how to mess them up, you know. And it's a it's a good way to have fun with your friends and uh and we can do it, you know, and and we need we need to be doing it. I mean, there just shouldn't be state money going to help a Nazi build a white supremacist utopia. I mean, that's the that's the history of this country, right, Like, that's the history.
Speaker 7: Colonization, that's the history of Oregon specifically. So yeah, it's a time to do something else.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And Antifa isn't just for you big city folk, you know, those must live in rural communities can and should be involved in these struggles, and it is something that like is not just something that happens in Portland.
Speaker 9: People in rural orient are.
Speaker 8: Doing anti fascism and will continue to do it and will continue to win.
Speaker 4: Thank you both so much.
Speaker 7: I will leave links to your orgs and your and your articles in the description below. Thank you for listening. And yeah, if you are antifa curious, give it a shot. It is indeed fun.
Speaker 2: What Brett my cavanaughs. I'm Robert Evans, and this is it could happen here? A podcast about it happening here with me today is Sophie Lichterman and Mia Wong. We're going to be talking about a guy who is near and dear to my heart because the second to the last conversation I ever had with my mom was about Brett Kavanaugh. Mia, what are we gonna learn today?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Boy, God, have you done the what's breading my Kavanaugh before?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: I'm certain I haven't. Why would I have?
Speaker 4: I don't know if I oddly familiar? So if he has, somebody let me know. Thank you.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Tell us the good and the bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we already know the ugly. Yeah, I'm body shaming Brett Kavanaugh. Yeah that's right, motherfucker.
Speaker 4: That's right, motherfucker. The worst thing he consequences he's ever going to suffer are this bad news cycle and me saying something that's not legally defamatory, and if he wants to fucking prove it, you could sue me over it.
Speaker 2: He has a sweet gig for life. Yeah, he's set, is set, bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, he sucks so bad that even like you know, Midwest dads hate him, so at least there's that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's really rad sid And so I think I think the place to start with this actually is not with Kavanaugh, but with Trump, because what we're talking about today is a thing that we kind of knew was true but didn't know the extent of until now, which is that the supposed FBI investigation into everything that Brett Kavanaugh did was like fake and deliberately fucked by Trump specifically, Like this is Trump specifically told them to just like not do the investigation, and so they didn't do the investigation and nothing happened. This is the sort of how we got confirmed. And I think the interesting thing about this, partially it's because I hate breck Capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sucks the worst guy, a real dick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I think the everything about him is like I feel like everyone has forgotten what it was like to live under Trump. I agree, because there was just so much shit happening all the time, Like every single every single day was like a new one of these things. And I want to go back to what like one week of Trump was like, because every single fucking week was like this, and it was the most miserable thing. So who is Brett Kavanaugh. He's one of the nine assholes who get to decide whether we all have rights for people who've sort of forgotten his background. So he's like an old old like nineties era, kind of like protege of the nineties Republican gruls. He's like one of the people who helps Ken Starr do the like Monica Lewinsky trial. Like he's he's involved in a whole bunch of sort of like Republican rat fucking operations. He's also and I think this one's actually important to remembers, to go up to the election, Kavanall was part of the legal team that helped Bush do the original Stop the Steal in two thousands, just like straight up stole the election in Florida.
Speaker 2: So love that these guys keep getting jobs as opposed to I don't know, getting the punishment for treason.
Speaker 4: And he's only fifty nine years old. Yeah, he's so young for that job. We have like forty more years of him.
Speaker 2: If you ever wanted like a clear reason why we shouldn't do things like the death penalty for treason, it's because when people commit treason, nothing happens to them, and when people I don't know agitate for Puerto Rican independence, they get executed. Like that's that's what happens with those laws. I just bad avoid laws existing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and especially avoid all of your laws being dictated by a bunch of a bunch of fucking serial predators. Yeah, and this gets us too. So Kevinaugh's appointment was very very close. The Republicans at the time they controlled the Senate, but they had a fifty two to forty eight margin, and a lot of those kind kind of marginal senators were like.
Speaker 1: There was there was a more realistic chance of it not happening then typically Yeah, but they still fucked it in the end.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, of course. But you know the reason, the reason why it was close. Is as I think most people probably remember, Kavanaugh is a serial sexual predator. He has sexually assaulted so many fucking people. People saw him do it. There were times when he was the only fucking person there he did there were times when we did it in crowds. He definitely one hundred percent did it. And if he wants to fucking sue me about it, like, I'll see you in court, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: And while we're here, Clarence Thomas also a predator, thank you.
Speaker 4: We're going to get to that.
Speaker 2: Let's let's be clear here, Like if we're doing an Olympics of predators, Clarence Thomas is up in the number one spot. Brett Kavanaugh's down in place three. You know, Thomas is a much, much more I don't know, expansive predator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was some belief at the time in this is sort of like every single article about this like talks about how this is peakb too, but it is of important that like this, it was a real possibility that he was going to go down in flames. Yeah, it has happened before, it can happen again, and it was a real issue for him. It was a real issue for him in large part because Christine Blossi Forde, who's a psychology professor, just like testified under oath in one of the most like fucking harrowing things I've ever seen on the floor of the Senate.
Speaker 2: Horrific.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The thing I stuck with b was like he was laughing while he did it. It's just like, this guy is a fucking monster.
Speaker 2: I Mean. One of the things that you do have to take into account is that, like the media infrastructure that world up to defend Brett Kavanaugh to ensure that this didn't take him down existed in part because about a third of right wing media, like about a third of that whole infrastructure system exists because of the Clarence Thomas hearings. Ye, Like that and Nixon's resignation being for are kind of the two two inciting incidents of modern conservative media. Those were the things that made them really commit to the idea that, like, we have to build a completely separate ecosystem of facts because if we let reality in at all, like our guys who are all sex predators and criminals will never be able to win or stay in office.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And also, I mean it's worth noting too that like Roger ayles Off, who is like one of the people responsible for building all this infrastructure, was also himself just a serial predator on a like frankly incomprehensible scale. Yes, And so all these people were also just defending themselves because they also are all fucking their own sometimes miniature capital, sometimes worse Kavenaughs. And it into this sort of breach, right like, so this is this is this is a real pr crisis to Republicans, this is this is going even worse for them then the last time that they fucking did this, which was, as we've alluded to, when they got Clarence Thomas on and when Joe Biden didn't like personally helped Railroad Anita Hill to make sure that when she would get fucked when she to testify against claris Thomas. So that's great, incredible stuff. There was a point in our nation's history where that was actually like a political problem for Joe Biden. We're fucking no longer there anymore. And into this breach steps what's supposed to be an FBI investigation. Yeah, ostensibly, Yeah, so I'm going to read from a recently released report, and there's gonna be I'm going to quote from this report a lot, because this is this is the sort of new information that we have. Where can people see the report? It will be in the description. If you just like search Sheldon white House Report, you should be able to find it. There'll be a link in the notes. Yeah, we'll link it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like thirty pages. It's actually not third it's more like twenty pages because like a bunch of the mergercizations, so it's pretty easy read. I'm going to read some of it. And also I do want to point out the fact that the Senate Judiciary Committee member who wrote this thing is named Sheldon white House. Incredible name, incredible center.
Speaker 2: That is a great name. Where does that come from? That can't be a real name. That can't be a name that existed. That can't be a name that existed before the White House, right, Like it has to have at some point been named after the White House, right, I mean, why else would you have that name?
Speaker 4: Well, it could just be that this family historically lived in a White House for seven hundred years.
Speaker 2: You'd have to be in a White House for a long ass time to get.
Speaker 4: That last name. So here's from the report quote after hearing the testimony by Ford and Kavanaugh, the Judiciary Committee agreed to request the FBI he knocked a supplemental background investigation quote limited to current credible allegations against Kavanaugh, before the full Senate voted on his confirmation. And so there's an important detail here that wasn't clear to anyone at the time, because fucking no one knows how the minutia of FBI investigations work. But this was not actually a full FBI investigation. This is this is something called a like supplemental background investigation, and we'll get into what exactly that is in a second, but it's not like a real FBI investigation. And this investigation does what it was supposed to do, which was, you know, clear Kavanaugh's name and off of Republican senators to be able to vote for him without immediately getting destroyed politically. What it didn't do was like actually conduct an investigation. Trump very famously at this time it says that the investigation had quote free reign and it unbelievably did not bull fucking shit. Yeah, he just lied about this, like yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The administration directly ran the investigation, killed it, and then used its political power and the FBI itself to you know, illegitimately railroad a serial predator or on at the Supreme Court to take away of when's right to get into abortion. And then after that they stonewalled the investigation for six years. So this is how that sort of process worked. I'm going to quote from that report again. Third, although the Trump administration and the FBI assured the Senate that the FBI's investigation was being conducted quote by the book, they failed to disclose that there was actually no quote unquote book at all. The FBI produced no written records for supplemental background investigation, saying it was merely acting as the quote agent for the White House in such matters.
Speaker 2: Which white House was it? Sheldon White?
Speaker 9: Sorry?
Speaker 4: No, white House? Bad, the one with the president White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, I was, I was trying to debunk his last name. He comes from the longest line of nepotism of that he.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was like, oh, they must have gotten named that back when like the fact that they had a house at all was noteworthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these people have paint it literally kept going.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, one level, okay, two levels okay, three, okay for this, Okay, when does it end?
Speaker 4: And then I got bored? And the funny part of back of this again is that, like this is the good guy in this story is my NEPO baby like like corruption Junior Senator of Rhode Island. Yeah, okay, yeah, And I want to kind of focus in on this statement in and of itself, because this is just like an absolutely hideous a view of just like the hideous power of the unitary executive just do whatever the fuck it wants. Like, what do you mean that the FBI produced no written protocols for for how they're supposed to do supplements of background investigation? What do you mean that they were quote acting as an agent for the White House? That's batshit? Why why their security service is literally directly answered to one guy who could just tell them what to do whatever the fuck he wants. That's insane. That is a that is a fucking that is a drange political system. And yet this is you know, this is this is the system I'm supposed to be doing this stuff, which is also very funny because White House is like not really trying to get into a feud with the FBI, So there's a lot of kind of like a sculptory stuff in the FBI. But like, also everything the FBI does in this is such a fiasco that it's very clearly like also very much their fault. I'm gonna read another quote from this. This is from a bit later in the report. Fourth, the FBI's tip line was not used to facilitate the FBI supplemental background investigation into the allegations against Kavanall on instructions from the White House. The FBI did not investigate thousands of tips that came through the FBI's tip line. Instead, all tips related to Kavandall were forwarded to the White House without investigation. If anything, the White House may have used the tip line to steer FBI investigators away from derogatory or damaging information, which is again absolutely nuts insane.
Speaker 2: And like, yes, so this is the kind of thing that like should be serious crime, right, like yeah, you go, you get locked up for forever, Like this is a forever crime. Yeah, it seems much more serious than I don't know, robbing a bank to try and fund the Puerto Rican independence movement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not clear to me whether this would have been a giant scandal for a normal administration, just because the American presidency has so much power. But it should have been like this was just like a thing that would happen every week under Trump, was like he would just do shit like this. Do you know also what you should do? Shit like I don't know. That was not my best pivot.
Speaker 2: No, no, but but do shit like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like these products and services that support the podcast, we are back. We've gotten to the point where again the FBI's tip line is not actually being used of the investigation. They're sending it all to the White House. The report found that so the FBI, like and I talked about the public at the time, they talked to ten people who they said had like direct knowledge of the situation. But again they only talked to ten people, and there is a whole bunch of people who had very relevant evidence about a lot of important stuff in this Like so one of the claims that's going on here is that Kavanaugh was just wasted all the time. And this is like every single person you talk to who knew Kavanaugh in college and isn't like directly employed by the Republican Party was like, oh yeah, this guy wasted all the time, right, and this became a big part of the trial. And there were a whole bunch of people who tried to go to the FBI to be like, hey, he did this, and they just like would not talk to them. People who tried to come forward, like they wouldn't talk to people who sent them information to the tip line. They just like didn't talk to them at all. I'm going going to read from the thing again. According to a quote executive summary, if the FBI supplemental background investigation issued by the Judiciary Committee majority, the majority of that time was Republican majority, So that's why it's fucked. These people were quote all witnesses with potential firsthand knowledge at the allegations. The FBI did not, however, interview Ford or Kavanaugh, the witnesses potentially with the most firsthand knowledge, nor did it speak to other potentially corroborating witnesses who had not witnessed the events firsthand. Nevertheless, the Judiciary Committee's Republicans executive summary concluded that the quote supplemental background investigation confirms there is no cooberation of allegations made by doctor Ford and Ms Ramirez, So they didn't talk to either Kavanaugh or Ford, the two people who the thing was a ballot.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, why would you need to do that, right, Like.
Speaker 4: Wait, what the fuck? This is so insane. No. Oother part of this is so the FBI's initial background check didn't turn up any of this, and so the supplemental thing is being done in place of like the normal background check because the normal background check was also done like shit, and so they never figured out any of this incredibly obvious stuff about him. And meanwhile, like the supplemental one just they just kept being like, oh, well, we don't actually need to talk to the people who this is about for incredibly nebulous reasons. And the other part of this that's going on is that like, while this process is happening, the Democratic on the Judiciary Committee are trying to figure out how this process works, and Trump but just like refuses to talk to any of them and the FBI refuses to send any of them. People are fighting out like we we know that there's no specific process for this like supplemental investigation thing, because like their staffers found it out from a YouTube video Jesus, like they did not find this out from the FBI. It was like this guy. Senator staffers were like watching YouTube videos to figure out how this investigation was supposed to work. So, and it turns out we had known at the time that the FBI was doing some kind of shady stuff. But what we know now is that so Ford and her lawyers repeatedly tried to talk to the FBI and they were just never able to do so, right, the FBI completely stonewalled them. And it turns out that they ston malled them because Trump specifically ordered the FBI not to talk to her or kavanall what what, which is absolutely insane. Yeah, the law It turns out this is this is this is the part of this is the most insane.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Everyone thought that the FBI, which is doing a normal FBI investigation, right, And part of what's going on here is that the media is just these like absolute credulous idiots, right, because every single day the media is reporting that like Trump is allowing an open investigation because like somehow again this is this is like two years into him being in office. Right, none of these people have figured out that every single thing he says is a lie. They're all like, oh, yeah, Trump keep saying that these people can talk to whoever they want, and they can investigate whoever they want. And this gets to the point where the FBI is calling the White House every day because they'll be reading the news reports that say we can talk to anyone, and they'll be like, hey, you told us we can't talk to these people, and they'll be like, no, no, actually, you still can't talk to these people. And it turns out that what's happening is this like quote unquote supplemental investigation. It's not an FBI investigation. They can only do things that are like quote unquote directed by the president, So they can only talk to the people who the President tells them to talk to, and they can't look at evidence that the President doesn't tell them to to look at. And so what ends up happening is that like you know, there's initially like four people that they're they're supposed to be talking to, right, and you know, they keep getting these like press things that are like, oh, hey, this is the full this is an open investigation. You can like do whatever you want. And eventually they put in like six more people, so like they talked to ten total people. But because this is an investigation that is not being run by the FBI. Really it's being it's being directly ran by Trump himself, which he's lying about because of that, they fucking never talked to anyone. And then also again as we talked about, right that that tip line they set up a bunch of the people who tried to talk to the FBI, who the FBI wouldn't talk to, were like told, okay, go submit stuff to this tip line. And the FBI later admits that the tip line was like never real.
Speaker 2: Sure have a nice fake tip line.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they never used any of an investigation. They sent it all the Trump Yeah. And the reason they did it was that they were sick of people calling their regular tip line, so they set up a specific tip line so they could just have all the stuff that they would never listen to, and the same sense of the White House so they could do I guess like oppo research bullshit on it. So this is just straight up a sham. There's no actual investigation going on. The media people at the time should have been able to figure out that obviously this thing was bullshit, right, but nobody looked into it except for this one guy and the Senate Duciary Committee, And so the support comes back and goes like, yeah, we did no research. We talked to like ten people and we didn't like ask them anything, and we didn't use any of the research that we had, and we have cleared this guy. As this is happening, right, the Judiciary Committee Democrats are like trying to figure out what the fuck is going on. And this begins a six year process of a Senator White House just fighting a war with the actual White House and the FBI and the DODA to try to figure out what the fuck just happens. And the interesting part of this also is that so obviously the Trump administration was never going to talk to them, right, which is idience of itself incredibly disturbing that like the Senate Judiciary Committee, who in theory is one of the organizations supposed to be doing oversight of the FBI, would send requests of the FBI for your information, the FBI would just tell him to fuck off. Yeah. But the interesting part is they kept doing this under Biden. So Biden's FBI was also doing this. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: I love, I love they do a greta, which fucking liberals like have concluded politically at least that they have to be as like vociferously pro law enforcement as they can, and all cops ever do is say, we are just waiting for the chance to kill you. Like, yeah, it's great, cool, good stuff.
Speaker 4: I'm going to go relign from this. It's so insane. When the Senators followed up, they faced the challenge of aligning FBI, DOJ, and White House equities. They sent like requests for the emails between Trump and the FBI right figure out whether Trump was doing the thing he was doing, which was like directly running the investigation himself. The FBI claimed it cannot answer without authorization from the DOJ in the White House. The DOJ directed the senator's inquiries to the White House and the FBI, and the White House referred the senators back to the agency. So they're doing this like they're doing the like the circular run around thing you give him your insurance company where they tell you to talk to three people and every single one of them tells you to talk to the other one. But again, this is the Biden DOJ, the Biden FBI, and the Biden administration all doing this. The FBI finally provides documents about like their contact with Trump for the investigation. They finally provide the documents in November of twenty twenty three. This investigation started in late twenty eighteen. It took half a decade, almost half of which was under the Biden administration. And also Senator Whitehouse literally threatening to torpedo and nomination for the DOJ's Office of Legal Counsel, Like he had to threaten the Department of Justice in order to get them to send the documents that proved that Trump colluded to top Kavanaugh investigation, which even just some like a political standpoint from the Democrats, right, why the fuck would you not want that in the open? I mean, I guess, I guess unless you're Jo Biden, you don't want every remembering like all the shit you need to need a hill. But like this is literally free political amministionat of your opponent, like abusing the political process. And it still took a Democratic senator just directly threatening the DOJ of a democratic administration to get this out.
Speaker 1: I just like it also took so many years, Like yeah, Havanat has has been able to take away and fuck up our rights since what twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. Yeah, and the damage he's done is permanent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he will be around in office, possible, very likely for most of the rest of our lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I said earlier, it's only fifty nine years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could have another thirty years there at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And if this stuff had been known, she absolutely would not have gotten nominated.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: There were two unbelievably close votes to get him appointed.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: There was a first vote where the Republicans trade a bypassed the Fillow Bobster and still almost lost. And it turns out that, Okay, the actual final vote ended up being fifty to forty eight with two abstensions, and one of the essensions is this guy was going to his daughter's wedding or something. But the other abstention was Lisa Morowski, who's the senator from Alaska who's like the most sort of liberal Republican senators and she does like a coward present vote so it can happen. And if she had voted no, and if Joe Manchin hadn't fucking cross party lines to get to get him in office, which I think I also people just forget about. Joe mentioned that he is also like, individually specifically the guy who got fucking Kavanaugh pointed this would have failed, and the only reason that it didn't fail and that this guy was able to fucking destroy Roephi Wade is that Trump just straight up ran a fake FBI investigation and lied to everyone about it and fucking railroad of the nomination through. That's fucking Kavanaugh. And I think I think the thing that calls on here again is like every single week of Trump is just like this, yeah, right, Like every single day has some bullshit like this. It just like fucks everyone for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: And it's deeply grim that he could take power again and we could get back to like the stuff he was doing at the end of his administratory. Who's just like having protesters killed with federal worshels, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's the scary thing about it, right, is there's not any kind of like functional resistance to this. Right, the left has no power, has no serious organizing capacity in the United States, and can't get on the same page about anything that matters, whereas liberals, when they have four years of control of the federal government cannot adequately prosecute an attempt to overthrow the government and murder them. Yeah, so I don't know, you know, make sure you got clean water, folks, check on that garden. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 1: It's just so bleak because, like I said earlier, everything is so permanent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean, like.
Speaker 2: Just lasts so fucking long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it lasts so long, and like and like we we don't even know the damage that Kavanaugh is going to do to our society because of Trump. And it's also just terrifying that, you know, Trump was able to manipulate the system in this way and that so many people were silenced and now our rights are gone, yeah, or our rights are going to be taken away. We have no idea what else is going to be taken Yea, we have no idea. What else is going to get fucked up? We have ideas we have.
Speaker 2: The idea is that that Again, the problem is the root of the problem is that liberals work tirelessly in this country to stop the left from gaining any power, and the left works tirelessly to stop itself from having any kind of influence by having no capacity to organize or compromise with people who do not agree with whatever their little brand of leftism is. Right, whereas conservatives are willing to work together with other conservatives they hate for forty straight years in order to get us to the position that we're in. That's what happened is they had message discipline, they had organizing discipline, and they successfully pushed their madness into the mainstream in such a way that now the Democratic Party, in a lot of ways is expending a huge amount of its efforts on moving in the direction of that madness, especially as regards immigration. Look at where we've moved on immigration from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty four. Right, That is the result of disciplined power building as opposed to know what liberals and the left to do, which is fight with each other and fight amongst each other and engage in a mix of like craven power politics and worshiping various con artists, and the right worships con artists too. They just actually get power out of the deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this. The other terrifying thing about this story is that it's not fucking everywhere. It's not everywhere. Ten years ago, this would be the scandal of all scandals, and it's barely barely a headline.
Speaker 2: No, because no one's going to do anything about it. It's like, it's like Elon Musk paying people a million dollars a day to vote in Pennsylvania, Like that should be illegal. Like you can at least make a strong case based on existing laws that that is election interference, the kind of which that can land you in prison. Everyone knows, nothing's going to happen to him.
Speaker 4: Nothing's going to happen to him.
Speaker 2: If Kamala wins, right, if the Dims have a blowout and wipe up with both Houses of Congress, nothing is going to happen to Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, again, just like we have no idea how how long this is going to get throw on and how much worse it could get.
Speaker 2: And uh, yeah I have some ideas, but I podcasted about those back in twenty nineteen. Sophie.
Speaker 4: I was there. I was quite literally there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so thanks Miyah.
Speaker 2: That was a boomer, Thank you, Mia. No, this was good. I uh, this is solid.
Speaker 4: And again when.
Speaker 2: I started this by saying, my second to the last conversation I had in person with my mom was about Kavanaugh. It was hers almost screaming at me because of how unfair what the Democrats did to Brett Kavanaugh was because of the good man that they and she felt the same way about Clarence Thomas right that like these guys were the victims of media assassination attempts. She feels the same way about Bill Cosby. By the way, anyway, whatever, I don't need to yell about my mom. I've yelled about enough this episode.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow's episode will be more fun. I promise we're gonna We're gonna yell about why the Kunda Wild Prizes fake and read some of the dubbest things you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, there we go. There we go, back to the good stuff, Back to the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. MEA has been deeply excited to do this episode, So look look out for that one. And I don't know, uh, touch grass and peta dog if it wants you to.
Speaker 10: Yeah bye, no.
Speaker 4: Bell prize, welcome to it could happen here a podcast about Nobel Prizes. I guess I'm your host via loog with Me with Me?
Speaker 11: Is James Himia excited to hear about the dynamite guy prices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, as people I think are aware, the man who invented dynamite established a bunch of prizes to be like the pinnacle of human achievement. Right, every years decided I'm a bunch of judges and you know, and this year in the Nobel Prize in physics, right, Nobel Prize in Physics went to two guys who did a whole bunch of the sort of fundamental basic work on what became machine learning algorithms. And as annoying as modern AI is, like machine learning algorithms has fundamentally changed the way that science works. It changed the strong and I've used it. I used the new astronomy like there's all this. You know, it has fundamentally changed the way that humanity functions. Yeah, it's an important discovery. Yeah, and you know, the Nobel Price in Medicine went to a group of people who discovered micro rna, which is like a different type of RNA that fundamentally changed the way that we understand how like gene regulation works. It's like a fundamental path breaking thing in biology. They got that, they got the fucking medicine double price for the Nobel Price in Economics went to uh three guys who discovered that institutions affect prosperity.
Speaker 11: Huge groundbreaking shit. It's like economists don't discover shit. They just they just say shit, and then other economists are like, yeah, cool this okay.
Speaker 4: So I when I was originally planning this episode, this is going to be an episode about the fake Nobel Prize, which is the economics Nobel Prize wich We've talked about on the show before, but it's worth saying again this is not a real Nobel Prize, Like, this is not one of the prizes that was established by Alfred Nobel. This was a thing established by the sweetest central Bank as a way to push neoliberal economics new classical economics. And every year they're always very stupid, is the thing, right, And my plan for this episode because I started seeing stuff about this Nobel Prize and I was looking at this and I was like, this is the this is the one of the dumbest ones they've had since they gave out one in the two thousands for realizing that people could simply not make a trade. Like But I was like, Okay, I'm going to go read all of these papers, right, We're going to come back, We're going to have a detail analysis of it. And and I'm reading these papers and it's like it's nothing these three economists are They're from what's called institutional economics. These are supposed to be the smart ones, right, These are These are the economists that like the neoclassical economists had to bring in, like the normalio classical comments has to bring in, because their models don't work right. And and the thing that makes them like quote unquote smart is that they understand the institutions exist, and they know how to use really really basic game theory models. And this makes them like the cutting edge, the absolute elite cutting edge of bortlaw economics on the front lines. What are these people discovered? Want the people win this prize for? Right? Okay, the thing that they won this prize for like the initial thing, and there's a couple of stuff that will get you in a second, but like the big thing that they figured out is do a series of thunderously stupid regression analyzes. They discovered something. I don't even know how to frame the magnitude of this discovery. But it took them a shit ton of math and like a bunch of like tabulations of mortality data to discover that in some places European colonial powers formed settular colonies and in some places they established colonial rule that wasn't based on settler colonies, and that these were different. This is what they won the Nobel Prize for. They did a bunch of regression analyses and were like, holy shit, in some places the Europeans did similar colonies and in some places they didn't, and it had to do with like disease and a level of redistance from the indigenous population. They won a Nobel Prize in Economics for this Are you fucking kidding?
Speaker 11: As also a paper that you could write for my history one ten class at community college.
Speaker 4: Okay, some of the discourse about this, right, the Marxist economist Sharramazar pointed out that, like these fundamental observations were made by another guy we've talked about on this show, the red again Marxist economist Paul Baran. And that's a good point. But also what I was thinking about how to do this episode, right, This isn't a thing like with like Donald Harris, like we talked abou Kabal Harris's dad's book, right, and that's that's a book where there's there's like ideas in it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You can go through it and you can watch them developing ideas. You can't do that with this because these people are not developing ideas. They have discovered the most obvious things. They have read a single book about history, and they have attempted to use a bunch of regression analyses to prove things that like you can just read a Wikipedia article and discover about the course of colonization.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and then you can go back and to a bunch of aggressionalities to prove something that everyone already needs.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the place that I got to about this is I have the shoke about Maoism where all the things that people get from Maoism are things that you should have learned in elementary school. Like one of the most common things you get from maoist is like, ah, you have to read no investigation, no right to speak, And like, my friend, okay, if you needed maose done to tell you that you needed to research something before you talked about it, what the fuck happened in your like the rest with your life? What we're wrong with your education? Like what has gone wrong with the way you think about the world that you needed? Nowse Dung can tell you this and this this is what most Nobel prizes and economics are and this is the most that it has ever been. So basically their argument is that, like, this is also an argument that Paul Baran makes is that like, okay, depending on whether you're dealing with a settler quality or a sort of like India style like administrative colony, I guess I'm like a term for it.
Speaker 11: It gets like an extractive colony, where you have more about extracted labor, raw materials and settling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that changes the kinds of institutions that are set up. And like, okay, you can if you want to credit Paul Baron for the discovery that like the settler colonies and like extractive colonies have different legal institutions and they function differently, and that has had long range economic impacts, like stretching into the future. But like this is something again that you you can just you can find in a history book and immediately understand. And these people have tried to do this. They're trying to like track the difference in why were like some colonies more prosperous later than other colonies. Right, They're trying to track this process through a whole bunch of incredibly sketchy regression analyzes and weird assumptions about what income is they're trying to track, Like why was it that like China and Turkey were like rich in the fifteen hundreds, but they ceased to be rich after that. Oh sick.
Speaker 11: They're doing a fucking Jared Diamond. Yeah, they're doing a West and the rest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's wonder a Jared Diamond bullshit, except you know, with China standard of living in Europe, if you actually go back to the historical record and aren't doing their like stupid weird like using population density as an index for stuff, whether they start bringing Malthus into it. If you don't do that and you look at like the actual historical record, like the average quality of life in China like is not eclipsed by Europe until like the May eighteen hundreds. Yeah, like you know, so like this is all this is all like very even.
Speaker 11: Then, like life expects in the midic and hundreds didn't it took decades to go up after the Industrial Revolution right lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Oh, this is this is sort of drawing to what they're trying to do here, is that like a lot of this is it's just it's directly it's the product of colonialism, right, and they sort of acknowledge that colonialism existed and that it was like extractive. But their job is to take the basic insights of history and depoliticize it. Right, We're going to get you later. One of the things they win this prize for is depoliticizing revolution, turning revolution into like a Nashi Colubrium game theory thing. Oh god, which is unbelievable. It's incredible.
Speaker 11: Yeah, these are the kind of people who I have to deal with on a daily basis on list serves, Like these are the economists emailing the entire list serve with a unique insight into something that we all you thirty ye, like the old faculty email list is plagued by this kind of individual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like like this is a thing where so they're absolutely convinced that, like, like the one hundred percent convinced that the thing that leads to economic prosperity is like the safeguarding of individual property rights. And like I will give them a little tiny bit of credit where they're like, well, yeah, so direct colonial institutions were attractive and they're bad because they infringe on property rights. And that's mildly better than most of these people yeah, but these are these are these are again, these are the most advanced Bushwai economists, right, they're not. They're not like pro Rhodesia and neoclassical guys, right, they do. They do have a lie where they say, we're not going to say when the colonialism is good or bad. And I think that's been misinterpreted a little bit because like in their work they're pretty clear that it's bad.
Speaker 11: They're just trying to make like a moral judgment because God forbid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well they said, they're saying it's extractive and they think that like attractions bad because it's inefficients. Yeah, but basically the things like that, they think that like, Okay, so like if you if you set up like regimes that like safeguard private property, this will like make people like richer. But I want to read a quote from one of the papers they wrote. Quote, in comparatively poor and less dense populated regions where Europeans could easily settle, it was in the colonizer's interest to introduce inclusive economic institutions that helped to boost prosperity for the majority in the long run.
Speaker 12: No, now me, like they didn't go on to say how like yeah, but Britain built the railways in India, like like like.
Speaker 4: This is what he says, right, because what's happening here. You know, this is something that economists love to do. It's like economists love to go into other fields and to have to colonize them, right, Yes, Like what they're doing here is there they've gone into like this field of history. Yeah, and their attempting to colonized them, right, many such cases. Yeah, and you know they're looking at this stuff, right, and you got things like this where it's like no, like the economic institutions that were set up in like settler colonies were not designed to introduce inclusive economic institutions to like help boost the prosperity for the majority of the long run, like that was the result of social struggle. But they for some reason basically think that social struggles started in like the eighteen eighties. Yeah, the Noble Bell like committee, they're like econ fake Econdo Bell Committee like releases like a giant statement, Like there's like press summaries they have like a slightly more detail and they have like the econy one and I want to read this from so part of what they're doing, right, you're talking about like the work that was inspired by this, by the understanding that like the different institutions change economic outcomes quote better g and Ivery two thousand and five examined the legacy of British land institutions in India that gave cultivators in certain regions proprietary rights, including that productivity was higher in these regions post independence. Genioli and Rainier and Michaelopolis and Papa Iyadu studied the impact of differences in political centralization along ethnic groups dream dream pre colonial times. None documented the long run negative impacts of the slave trade Del ten by my non paper in two thousand and eight, so we'll go back to that. A second Del twenty ten investigated the long run effects of the so called meta system in operation between fifteen seventy three and eighteen twelve and Peru and Bolivian Peru, where men were forced to work in minds. Within the boundaries of meta household consumption was twenty five percent lower in twenty twenty one than just outside the boundaries. So what they have discovered here again in the late two thousands and early twenty tens, they discovered that slavery had long run negative economic impacts on the places where there was slavery.
Speaker 11: Jesus Christ, thanks for trying guys like this.
Speaker 4: And shit that they gave these people a Nobell prize for inspiring this is insane.
Speaker 11: You're right, economists due just love to tourists in someone else's discipline and like fucking have the most basic insight possible. Like all of these are things that would be like an interesting undergraduate paper, right, Like.
Speaker 4: Insane that these people are getting Noble.
Speaker 11: Prizes for this. So it's not insane, it's economics, but the same difference, I guess.
Speaker 4: All right, So speaking of economics, we need to go to ads because so it'll be a long term detrimental consequence for us. We don't, but when we come back, there's some more unreal bullshit. We are back, okay, So speaking of undergred bullshit, Well, what of the big things in their like initial paper where they did the whole Oh my god, they discovered that there's difference between settler colonies and like distractive colonies. One of the big things in that paper was they spent a whole bunch of time looking into it was the economic difference in these countries because of the climate which now, for those of you who are students of history, right, the thing you will remember is that this this was like the most advanced race science theory of the early eighteen hundreds. Yes, and these people are, like the economists are finally getting around to busting this. In like two thousand and four.
Speaker 11: They had a looked at skull measurements because I felt like, I feel like we're heading down that pod, like econophrenology.
Speaker 4: So bad, incredible. That was actually a whole thing in fascist Japan where they had all I can't remember if I ever talked about this in the episodes that I did on Bachelor's episodes, but they had this whole thing where they had like racial categorizations and like biological characteristics of like the races, and they would use them to like determine allocated efficiency of which slaves you should use to do what. Oh cool, cool, cool, cool cool. It was great and like great, I mean, like, holy fucking shit, it's so bad.
Speaker 11: They just missed that time. Those people could kick the shit out of a Nobel price. In like twenty twenty five, they came back with that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get, like, you know, I mean, one of the things we were talking about, right, is like you were mentioning, is like these these are like these are like such obvious insights. And I remember, so I went to the University of Chicago, right, and that means that I fucking know all of these fucking ghouls, Like I met all the people who are going to become these econ dipshits. Yeah, you at ground zero for that shit. One of the things that's funny is that like this is like a particular thing of the University of Chicago ecome. People's like they all think they can do math and they can't, right, they suck at it. But one of the thin things I was almost like, so a bunch of my friends are math majors, and math majors can like actually do math, Like they could do the kind of math that's like there's no there aren't like numbers involved. Like it's like they're doing like field theory or some shit, or like they're doing a kind of math that when someone tries to explain it to you, they have to start like making diagrams of like the faces of cubes and then like explaining how there's like thirty two dimensional edges or whatever. And there's always this joke from the math professors where they'd be mad because like they look at the kondable price and they'd be like, this person made like an incredibly minor optimization to a trading algorithm that's like incredibly obvious to anyone who even sort of knows math, and they gave them at a mole price for this. And this is that before history. Yeah. So the other thing that they discovered, right, oh god, I I I'm trying to find the least depressing way to put this. They they discovered that there are revolutions, and they discovered that, like there are different interest groups in a revolution who have different interests and like like literally one of the things that they won this prize for is a paper where they they discovered that giving people like the franchise, like giving people the ability to vote, and setting up the welfare state was something that was done by elites to stop revolutions. Yeah. Again, Yeah, they have all these mathematical models that look very impressive until you realize they're just they're like incredibly stupid game theory bullshit to like determine whether or not a country will do a revolution. And their model for it basically is and they've discovered some some genuinely impressive insights for like a sixteen year old who wants to go into into political science. Right, Like, they discovered that, for example, elites have economic interests and that those economic interests are different from masses. But because they're economists, the only way they can conceptualize this is in terms of tax rates. So they make the argument, and this is not a joke. I am being serious about this. I read this fucking footnote. They make the argument that the overthrow of Salvador Allende was about elite tax rates.
Speaker 2: Oh, that one is fucking like.
Speaker 4: Jesus wept and it's so funny too. And this is this is like one of the biggest most obvious problems with their models, right, and this is this is this is from all the way back to like their whole thing about like how the institutions that were set up by colonialists being different affected like the long term trajectory of these countries. They treat these entire process because one of the things that they've discovered is that there are revolutions and counter revolutions. Because they read a Wikipedia article about like right wing coups in Latin America and they discovered that elites can do antidemocratic coups because they don't want their taxes to be too high. That's the only reason they do it. Yeah, But their discovery of this right, that that right wingers do antidemocratic cups to like preserve their wealth and political power. Right, But never, at any point in their process does it seem to have occurred to them that elites are not purely single national figures, and that there are in fact multinational elites and in fact there's something called the Central Intelligence Agency that doesn't come for me. These people do curse, and this is this is like the fundamental core of this right. It's like these models talk about sort of like elite distraction, right, but it's all framed through the language of sort of like taxes or like rents, basically like make thinking like land ranch or like they're fighting over a surplus.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Okay, but what they're trying to do is depoliticize how this actually works, because the thing you're trying to present is that all extraction happens through the state, right, Yeah, Like the state is the tool that at least use And now if you think about those about five seconds, we like, well, no, obviously, like there's an exploitation in like the workplace that's actually in these right military statorships, that's actually like the primary place where extraction happens. Where you shoot all the union organizers and then you fucking force solved the peasants to work in the fields and shoot them if they don't.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: But but what what they're doing is attempting to sort of depoliticize the deep plicize this entire process. This is what I'm talking about. Like they are the most advanced bushwiw economists, and being the most advanced bushwise economists, they have finally figured out that the whole they call it modernization theory. That's not really what modernization theory is. But they're economists. They're fucking stupid. They don't know anything. You can't judge them for not actually knowing what modernization theory is. But they finally discovered that the old old line about how economic development and evidently brought democracy was wrong. Again, huge insight here. Yeah, but this this brings them into the world of democratic transitions. Now, after we come back from these ad breaks, I would to read you the most thunderously stupid line I've ever read in a paper in my entire life. And that is fucking saying something given how many eCOM papers I've read. Yeah, you've been in the trenches. Okay, oh god, let mean let me let me, let me read this line. This is This is a quote from the the ECON Nobel Prizes site. In the two thousand and sixth book, the two of the three economists made an ambitious attempt to provide quote, the first systematic formal analysis of the creation and consultalidation of democracy, the first. This is very funny. This is fucking insane.
Speaker 11: This is like an entire field of international relations, of political science.
Speaker 4: This is shit. Not notice that there are literally multiple disciplines. This is an entire field of study, right, like I have read it, Like obviously, this is an entire matcho political science. This is an entire branch of international relations. This is an entire branch of sociology. There's like there's like an anthropological school kind of that that's about this.
Speaker 11: They're interdisciplinary fucking institute, So that exists for this reason. Like this is shit that I studied from people who wrote books about it in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 4: Like this is like like you and The funny thing is they are they literally quote people who are writing about this from the ages. People have been studying this for fucking it as long as they're it has been democracy. People have been studying this shita their ECON thing. They always was like, oh, nobody ever did formal analysis before. It's like, have you ever fucking read have you read a poly side paper? I understand, I too dropped my public policy major the moment I realized that public policy was just fucking econ with the lines in the graph relabeled, Yeah, have you ever fucking read one of these papers? Like you actually have a chance of understanding them because they are you know, okay, I can't bet you mean to political science. They are about one hundred and fifty times more advanced than the ECON papers on this subject. But that's still not like a very high level of advancement, right, But like still they're like they have formal models of this, They've done all the stupid math bullshit, the sociologists done all the number crunching, Like okay, okay, here's another go from this. The authors start the paper by showing that democratic transitions are precipitated by falls in GDP per capita. They discovered this two nineteen. I was having Twitter argument, like arguments again with like sixteen year olds on Twitter in like twenty sixteen about what the relationship between revolutions and declining and raising living standards were. Like this was Twitter discourse, right.
Speaker 11: This is seven years after the Arab Spring, just twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Yes, insane, they discovered this. Yeah, so they do form an analyzes.
Speaker 11: Is the Arab Spring famously the first and only democratic transition that's ever happened?
Speaker 4: No, that's like two recents. Okay, they're all all their stuff. Is what they call the quote the second wave of democratic transitions, which is the second wave of all because they're two social idiots, so that they're talking about the protomocracy movements in the eighties in Latin America and you, Sasha great, Yeah, which they also were just thunderously wrong about like all of the time. Yeah, I was gonna say, I can't wait to hear what they have to say about those. I'm literally not even gonna talk about it because it's nothing. It's just like air.
Speaker 11: I'm just looking up a very insightful paper that Ali Khadeva wrote, who I've been feuded several times, so different things.
Speaker 4: It's called stick stones and Molotovs cocktails that it.
Speaker 11: Is a fantastic analysis of democratic transitions. It's about like the strategic use of violence against property and the correlation it has between like successful democratic transition movements.
Speaker 4: It's good paper read that. Yeah, there's a lot of great like analysis. We'll put that in like the notes here. There's a lot of great analysis of this. But what they're trying to do is they're trying to build this model where they're like looking at like basically bargaining between like the masses and elites to decide whether you do a revolution or a counter revolution. And they're trying to build like a game theory model based on like fuck off the elites and like give ranting concessions and when they don'te grant concessions, and whether people believe they're getting grant concession. The other thing that's also very stupid about this, right, is that like the thing that they're interested in is why or why not people like believe that the olibal economical forms are going to work? And a lot of democratic transitions are also about like resistance to that shit. Yeah, like the revolutions to Dan for example, like he is a proto Marcus move, but like it is also in large part a reaction to imf in constructural reforms. These people all think are good and will like cause long term prospority and like a lot of the democratic disitions they're talking about, like like, for example, again Pinochet, right, like that was like you know, and like obviously the protomocracy reformers did more neoliberalism, but like a part of the part of the reason like that stuff worked was because Pinochet ran the economy into the graduating yeah, right, which is what he was sad to do. But yeah, but like I want to close it on two things. One, I want to read this line right from I'm talking about like the advances in their papers. This is again from the equitible prize thing. Yea quote in the earlier models. The probability that the masses are successful when they stage a revolution is always one. But this is a strong assumption that does not reflect real world events very well. They published a paper about how people make a decision to do a revolution. This was peer reviewed in an economics journal. It's one of the papers that incited in the noble price they gave them when they assumed that revolutions always succeed. Yeah, Nobel Prize, And the second paper was one they realized, Holy shit, that's not true, mom mouth, isn't it. This is the kind of assumption that these absolute fucking morons make all of the time, all of the funk. This is why they had to bring in the institucial columnists in the first place, to bring the shit in, right, because like, they're basic models of how humans work. Were like every single human like sits out and calculates a fucking utility curve figure out where they're going to brush their hair in the morning. Was obviously not true. That's what I had to bring in game theory in the first place.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 4: They make stupid assumptions like this literally all the time. And again, this is one of the ones they're making in one of the papers that was cited in here as the reason they want to know what price in economics.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I want to read this models off Cocktail's paper to everyone. Here's a fun little sentence, and event history analysis finds it, right, so positively associated with political liberalizing in one hundred and three non democracies from nineteen ninety to two thousand and four attacks by civilians on police stations during the January twenty fifth Egyptian Revolution illustrate one way in which un noncollective violence can bring about a democratic breakthrough. Incredible, thank you, We love to see it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we love this. That's a pretty normal thing from like, I guess you would call it like the center left of like Democrats edition studies stuff. Right, Yeah, it's the sociology paper. Yeah, that's like a pretty normal it's like a good life, a good paper. This is from one of the books written by the people who won the Economics Nobel Prize. Quote. Chapter six explains why several European countries have managed to build broadly participatory societies capable but still shackled states. Our answer focuses on the factor is that led much of Europe towards the corridor during the early Middle Ages, as Germanic tribes, especially the Franks, came to invade lands dominated by the Western Roman Empire. Afterwards collapse, we argue, but the marriage of bottom up participatory is a tutions and norms of dramatic tribes and the centralizing bureaucratic and legal traditions of the Roman Empire forged a unique balance of power between the state and society enabling the rise of the.
Speaker 2: Oh god, me.
Speaker 4: Is so depressing.
Speaker 11: I spent ten years getting a PhD in history and they've just given these people a Nobel Prize.
Speaker 4: But like Jordan Peterson ship, they have discovered. But this is the thing, Like these people have discovered the concept of history. Yeah, and they've read like four Wikipedia articles and they've used those Wikipedia articles they started doing regression analysis. Yeah, and this is this is what they want a Nobel prize. Yeah, this is fake Nobel prize. Like again, like I've been thinking about, like you know, in physics, what you have to do to win a Nobel Prize. You have to make a prediction about the fundamental nature of the universe that can only be tested by building a fucking machine that can measure a vibration of gravitational ways, which is a It has to be able to measure a ripple in the fabric of space time that is smaller than the diameter of the fucking nucleus of an atom. That is what you have to do to win the Nobel Prize in physics. What you have to do to win the Nobel Prize in economics is realize that institutions affect prosparity. Jesus, I just cannot this has been. This has been the ViBe's econdoble Prize episode. I don't know. I hope this made your day slightly slightly better, because holy shit, this is the fakest prize in the entire world.
Speaker 11: Shout out to the economists like I guess I'm eagerly awaiting you discovering some other ship from my one oh one class. Feel free to sign up at anytime if you want to get a noble fi prize in economics.
Speaker 4: I guess ah. All right, well this has been. It could happen here. I will return.
Speaker 11: Yeah, next time we give an economy's surprised for tying the issues of.
Speaker 7: Something this is it could happen here today. I'm your host, Garrison Davis, and they're sure has been a lot happening this past year. I am kind of feeling emotionally exhausted and just numb in general. It's a different feeling from the political desensitization that my job usually provides me. I'm frankly still recovering from attending the DNC, even more so than the RNC. At the RNC I knew I was going to be walking through the pits of hell, and despite the immense evil on display, the side show conspiracy theory freak nature of the event made it almost absurdly amusing. But the DNC kind of broke me between the infighting among Palestine protesters and the insistence from the official organizers TM to oppose any course of action that would actually disrupt the event or apply pressure to attendees and instead just use the Palestine protests to promote their little socialist newspapers and political orgs. Meanwhile, inside the actual event, I was surrounded by some of the richest and most powerful people I had ever been around, and just watching them maintain their like kamala Is bracked party atmosphere at all costs and purposely blind themselves to the atrocities happening around the world, especially Gaza, was a deeply unsettling experience. Like they're supposed to be the if not the good guys, at least the better guys or the less openly fascist guys, and like among the American right wings, unprecedented focus and organized attack on trans rights. This was the first d n C SINS twenty twelve to not feature a trans speaker, and trans people were never directly mentioned during the convention's prime time speaking slots. And now with the election ramping up and the Southeast still recovering from two devastating hurricanes, Israel escalating tensions with Iran, and with the backing of the United States continuing strikes in Lebanon and Palestine, I am just feeling more lost and discombobulated than I have been in years.
Speaker 4: So to cheer.
Speaker 7: Myself up, I decided to go to a Charlie Kirk and vivek Ramaswami rally at Georgia State University. Now to some that may sound just completely bat shit or perhaps some form of bizarre self harm, but look like I've been covering far right rallies and writing about these weird conservative influencers for years now, it's almost second nature to me. Going to these events can feel paradoxically relaxing, even though it may trigger some stress. My body just kind of subconsciously knows what to do in environments like this. The RNC was so easy, it's like an autopilot just takes over, and so I thought going to this Turning Point USA event might help reset my brain by giving myself a simple task that I know I can excel at. But before we get into all that, first, for those more fortunate than I, here's some background on Charlie Kirk, also known as the far right podcaster with the Smallest Face. As a teenager, back in twenty twelve, Charles J. Kirk co founded in organization for campus conservatives called Turning Point USA, and then in twenty nineteen he founded a sister organization called Turning Point Action, which focuses on elections and conservative political advocacy. Though initially more aligned with the so called alt light rather than the alt right, Kirk has slowly moved farther and farther to the right during the past ten years, and by twenty twenty he embraced election fraud, COVID nineteen, and vaccine conspiracy theories. Also during twenty twenty, he started his own podcast, The Charlie Kirk Show, which is now somehow ranked as the number seven podcast for news in Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 4: So that's not good.
Speaker 7: At this point, Charlie has kind of taken the place of, if not surpassed, the role that was previously occupied by Stephen Crowder before his fall from grace isteming from his breakup with Ben Shapiro and the allegations of abusing his ex wife. Through the Turning Point Action organization, Kirk is more tight with the actual mechanisms of the Republican Party then even the Daily Wire is just This past Wednesday, Turning Point Action hosted a rally for Trump in Duluth, Georgia, just outside of Atlanta. Trump spoke at this event, and Tucker Carlson made a very fascist speech advocating to refuse the results of the election if Trump loses, and likening Trump to a quote unquote daddy figure, needing to punish the country for being a quote unquote bad girl the past four years. It's a huge indictment against Americans, deeply Freudian politics.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: The event that I attended on October twenty first was a part of Charlie Kirk's You're Being Brainwashed tour, where Kirk and friends travel from swing state to swing state to debate college students on camera about why Trump is the better candidate. Charlie's focus on debating unprepared college students shows how he he has kind of picked up the baton from Stephen Crowder and his old change My mind videos, but this year specifically, Charlie's version of this college debate content creation strategy is more in line with this overall strategy to inflate Kirk's political influence leading up to the election so that he can get more directly involved in the GOPS get out the vote campaign in key swing states. As a part of this strategy, Kirk has been on a bit of a media blitz the past few months to promote himself. Some listeners may have seen the viral video featuring Charlie Kirk debating twenty five quote unquote woke college students for over ninety minutes. This video, from the YouTube channel Jubilee, has over twenty million views, and like just as an aside, Jubilee is just so deeply evil. This company claims to advocate for like empathy and human connection while turning life and death political issues into fucking game show segments for YouTube ad revenue, often pitting media trained conservative activists against just random clueless liberals. I hate this company. They are so bad, but I digress now. I actually attended a Turning Point USA event on the GSU campus last year. It was a smaller event that was ostensibly about defending the Cop City training facility in Atlanta. Though halfway through the event it just stopped being about cop City and it just turned into an ad for Turning Point USA and this other political organization started by Candice Owens called BLEXIT, which stands for the quote Black Exit from the Victimhood mentality unquote. This was one of the most racist events I've ever been to. The main speaker, in his best metrosexual attire, blamed black people for creating situations that result in police murders, said that the real problem is that black kids are never taught accountability and that in the MLK days, people only ever advocated for more police training. He also claimed that rap music is causing a spike in violent crime and ranted against jay Z and Beyonce and closed by saying that we need to support more conservative rappers and singers. It was really bad, But on the plus side, I went undercover to this event, and when talking with the Turning Point USA officials, I convinced them that I was actually a student at a different nearby university and I reserve the right to start a fake TPUSA chapter in that school, so hopefully that will never happen. Since I'm the one who's supposed to be doing it. For the Brainwashed Tour event this past Monday, I dressed like an unfashionable campus conservative and donned my Reagan movie baseball cap acquired at the RNC welcome party, and arrived at campus an hour early to scope out the terrain. They didn't announce the exact location for the event ahead of time, so for about half an hour I just walked around to GSU with the fucking Ronald Reagan hat, looking for like a TPUSA booth. Now, luckily I spotted some people with red mega hats that I tailed to the nearby Hurt Park, where it was immediately evident that this would be a much bigger event than the Copcity one I attended a year prior. In the middle of the park was a big table with microphones set up for questions and debate, and on either side there were booths with turning point stickers, buttons, flyers, a pocket constitution, and sign up sheets to get involved in their political advocacy programs. I took home a big button that read Republicans are Hotter, and I got another what I would call a brat style button, but brown instead of green. That re D's high period, stop being a socialist period. Thanks period. Not good, not good. But I watched the crowd grow from like twenty people I would say around two hundred. You know, it got kind of fluid, but yeah, around two hundred to fifty. Maybe A small majority were students or at least young, and appeared to be equally made up of liberals and conservatives, with the rest of the crowd mostly made up of conservatives from all ages who came to campus just to see Charlie Kirk. As the event was about to begin, TPUSA staff moved all of the older quote unquote non college students out of frame of the cameras to make the video seem more focused on liberal college students, and after waiting in the surprisingly warm October sun for over an hour, Charles J. Kirk finally arrived thirty minutes late from the official start time, tossing free mega hats wildly into the crowd, one of which I am now in possession of. For this leg of the tour, Kirk has been accompanied by the twenty twenty four Republican presidential candidate with the tallest hair, the vek Ramaswami, who, by the way, has also won the Cool Zone Media Award for presidential candidate with the most Nick Fuentes groyper energy.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 7: I can't believe I've seen the vek Ramaswami like four different times this year. That doesn't feel good. But do you know what does feel good? That's right, these products and services that support this podcast. Okay, we are back. It's time to finally talk about this fucking rally. So I'm not gonna go over like the whole event play by play, because there was over two hours of quote unquote debating that I have neither the time nor the desire to recap, but I will mention some of the overarching topics and common lines of questioning. Even as the first student took the mic, I knew that this was gonna be a rough day. The first person to quote unquote debate, Charlie and Vivek, stated that their quote primary opposition to Trump is that he's anti American and anti patriotic unquote. They said that they believed that Trump fundamentally undermines American values, and they specifically invoked Trump's rhetoric online about suspending the Constitution and the whole January sixth incident. Look, I don't think this is a very compelling line of attack, especially in a debate setting. And I just don't believe that patriotism is like an inherently good thing. And I think Grifters and Conman are pretty darn American. But Vivek and Kirk responded by talking about how social media censorship in twenty twenty was a much greater act of anti Americanism, although later on in the day they defended Elon Musk in his running of Twitter, since he's a private citizen and should be allowed to do whatever he wants with his own platform. This is, of course ironic amidst reporting from The New York Times that Musk and the Trump team colluded to suppress information damaging to Trump on the platform, basically exactly what the right was accusing the old Twitter doing the last election. But none of that really matters. There's no such thing as hypocrisy. You can never hold anyone account to this sort of thing on the right. Charlie Kirk then just went on to deny that Trump called to suspend the Constitution. Here's a clip he ever has.
Speaker 13: You're misquoting him. But let's just look at what he did, not just rhetoric.
Speaker 7: Nice little quick pivot there from Charles. But yes, technical Trump didn't say suspend. He actually said terminate, which is like worse.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: In twenty twenty two, Trump posted on truth Social calling for the quote unquote termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution unquote, in response to the twenty twenty election. I don't know how Kirk thinks that saying terminate is better than suspend. Of course he doesn't. He's just playing this game. It doesn't matter. Kirk went on to lie about the nature of January sixth and whether Trump literally personally committed the legal act of insurrection, eventually saying that even if Trump did, it would be thrown out under the new presidential immunity ruling by the Supreme Court, and stating that though Trump didn't actually do a coup, the Democrats did actually do a coup to get Kamala Harris on the ticket.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, but.
Speaker 7: Now part of Kirk's just flagrant January sixth revisionist history was claiming that Ashley Babbitt was suddenly killed with no warning as she was retreating from the Capitol and just none of that is true.
Speaker 4: That just isn't what happened.
Speaker 13: The only person to die on January sixth is a Trump supporter killed by one of Nancy Pelosi's bodyguards.
Speaker 7: Okay, even that part isn't true. Two other Trump supporters died of heart attacks, and another died holding a Don't tread on Me flag after being trampled by fellow rioters. Now a student countered Kirk's claim of Babbitt's innocence by confirming that he believes in stands your ground laws that if you're breaking into property you can be shot hold on.
Speaker 13: But Ashley Babbitt was unarmed. Isn't the whole kind of stick of the American left, like, don't shoot unarmed people. If I break into your house, then I was unarmed, but I broken I was.
Speaker 8: Breaking into your house?
Speaker 13: Was George Floyd? Was that a rightful death?
Speaker 7: Okay, first of all, incredible deflection, but oh yes, as if these two situations are in any way comparable, a black man being pinned down and choked to death for over nine minutes and a woman leading a mob intent on killing US politicians right up to the last line of defense protecting set of politicians as they try to evacuate the capital. Kirk tried to make this same gross George Floyd comparison like an hour later, again to booze from the audience. Later in the day, a second student hit the Charlie Kirk debate chair debating on whether Trump is anti American, and mentioned Trump's recent comments talking about a quote unquote enemy within, some enemy inside the United States that poses a far bigger threat than foreign enemies. The Veck claimed that Trump was referring to people who shot at Trump, and Kirk claimed that it was a reference to drug cartels.
Speaker 13: So Donald Trump is talking with enemy, then he's talking about the cartels that are here that are poisoning our streets with drugs, that are bringing illegal guns into the country. That is the enemy within. Yet we say Russia is an enemy. Russia has never attacked the United States of America.
Speaker 7: Curious Russia comment there, certainly, But like for this enemy within thing, we know that's just not true. Trump has specifically named multiple Democrats as the enemy within. It's not about cartels, it's not about people shooting him. There's just non stop lying coming from Kirk and Vek and none of the students are like equipped or researched enough to call him out on it. Another common topic of debate was war and the insistence that Trump didn't start to any new wars, unlike Biden and Harris, who have personally started wars. I guess with Kirk crediting Biden for starting the Russia Ukraine War by financing the Ukrainian defensive, as well as roping in Harris by saying that she was quote in charge of the Russia Ukrainian War before it happened, unquote, which really doesn't make much sense as a sentence. The Veck later added that Kamala Harris was personally in charge of the withdrawal from Afghanistan, which again just isn't true. The Vek is parroting of failed attempt by Republican lawmakers from last September to invent some way to blame Harris for the Afghanistan withdrawal now that she is the presidential nominee. Harris is only mentioned three times in the three thousand, two hundred and eighty eight pages of interview transcripts from the Foreign Affairs Committee's investigation of the withdrawal, but by far Charlie and Vivek's main focus on the topic of war is just defending Russia.
Speaker 8: Donald Trump's going to negotiate an end of that war. That's reasonable.
Speaker 14: Kamala Harrison and Joe Biden have created that war and escalated that over the last three year.
Speaker 7: Trump did not really end any wars in his first term. In fact, he increased US troop levels in twenty seventeen and raised the number of civilian deaths in Afghanistan from drones strikes by three hundred and thirty percent according to Brown University. Still, the Veck tried to frame Trump as the much more principled anti war candidate, But which candadate?
Speaker 14: Was there a major war in the Middle East? Was there a major war in the Middle East or Donald Trump?
Speaker 7: There were multiple arms deal packages to Saudi Arabia for the war in Yemen, and the US increased its involvement in the series of a war under Trump. But to the Vek's earlier point, I really don't see a way Trump would end the war in Ukraine. That isn't just giving more territory over to Russia. But to Charlie Kirk that might not be such a bad thing, since he seems to be kind of fond of Russia.
Speaker 13: You know who is the enemy. China is the enemy.
Speaker 8: Russia.
Speaker 13: Well, Russia's not the enemy. Exactly how many of your friends have died because of Russians?
Speaker 4: Here's another SoundBite from the Veck.
Speaker 8: Joe Biden and Kyple Harris along with some Republican help.
Speaker 14: I'm gonna admit is sending more money to escalate that war that otherwise would have resolve itself if we had just negotiated peace back in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 7: Resolves itself. Sounds a lot like Vivek just means that Russia would have just seized territory, and like later on, Vavek argued that Ukraine just shouldn't be getting any native protection at all.
Speaker 14: So the US actually made a commitment back in nineteen ninety to say that NATO would expand not one inch past East Germany.
Speaker 7: Hmmm, I wonder what may have been different geopolitically in nineteen ninety in relation to Russia. Vivek, I wonder if anything has happened since nineteen ninety that might affect certain Slavic territories. Avek, I wonder, Oh my god. Now, the topic discussed probably the most during this event was immigration even the liberal college students seem to believe that an influx of immigration was the biggest problem currently facing the United States. Kirk claimed that Kamala Harris let ten million new quote unquote illegal immigrants into the cunt and like no, the total population of undocumented immigrants in this country has fluctuated between ten to twelve million over the course of the past twenty years.
Speaker 4: Though, like JD.
Speaker 7: Vance, Kirk considers most immigrants illegal regardless of their actual status. Kirk claimed that the quote unquote nine million immigrants seeking asylum that have come into this country under Biden are all illegal because they are quote cartel sponsored fraudulent asylum claims unquote. Kirk said that these false asylum seekers pay cartels ten thousand dollars to be smuggled into the United States.
Speaker 13: They're all illegal because they're we know it's actually, we know it to be true. It's not the question nine they're frauds. That they're defrauding the American immigration system is what they're doing.
Speaker 7: When pressed for proof on this, Kirk just stumbled, and Viveck took over and later just plugged his new movie about illegal immigration.
Speaker 13: Yes, I mean, so, for example, what is the asylum claim if you're coming from from George, Korea.
Speaker 7: Actually, wow, wow, very very convincing stuff happening. Viveck argued that most immigrants lie about seeking asylum in order to enter the country, and since that's illegal, that makes them more likely to commit other crimes once in the United States.
Speaker 15: So right now, our immigration system literally selects for the people who are most willing to lie to the US government to get in. And that's why it's no surprise that the people whose first act of entering the country breaks the law often continue to break the law while they're already here.
Speaker 13: I don't think that's racist or xenophobic.
Speaker 15: I think it's a fact based on who we're actually selecting to come into the country in actuality.
Speaker 7: Immigrants and especially undocumented or quote unquote illegal immigrants, are far less likely to commit crimes than US citizens. Most research puts it between forty to sixty percent less likely, at least according to Stanford, the Texas Department of Public Safety, and the Cato Institute, all famously liberal organizations. One thing that Kirk kept trying to do is pander his nationalism towards the racially diverse audience of Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Students.
Speaker 13: The people in this audience, which is a very diverse audience, specifically Black Americans, should be incensed that they're being replaced by foreigners. Black Americans are now being put aside so that a bunch of foreigners can come, undercut wages and fill your city. The black community, which you obviously both care a lot about, is actually not being prioritized. Instead, people from the Third World. They're coming in and Black America is getting put last, which seems to be a common theme over the last sixty years when Democrats are in control. Well, okay, we'll find that. Thank you guys, so much. Thank you, Thank you guys.
Speaker 7: The worst part is that this seems to work. The audience seems to resonate with this grossly fascistic framing, seemingly unable to recognize what Kirk was doing. And at this point I was just like fucking losing it. Vivek said that if you don't know English, you shouldn't be allowed in the United States, and like no one cared, no one pushed back on that. A pro Kamala person repeated false migrant crime wave rhetoric in her question about the Venezuelan refugee crisis. That student said that three hundred thousand Venezuelan refugees came to the United States in twenty twenty three, and Kirk then claimed that three million more would arrive if Kamala is elected, along with twenty million more immigrants. Kirk promised that if Trump's elected, any immigrant, whether legal, undocumented, or a refugee, just any immigrant who commits a crime like a dui will be immediately deported. And unfortunately, when pressed to defend or even just openly express their own personal views on whatever the topic of debate was, multiple students just like completely backed down, saying that they would rather quote unquote stay out of the political realm or in another instance.
Speaker 4: Politically charge you fair enough, what are you doing.
Speaker 7: You're trying to debate about access to abortion or if all immigrants should be rounded up and deported, but you don't want to get quote unquote too political.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry you couldn't get a fast dunk on Charlie Kirk, but come on. But perhaps the most disheartening moment was when Charlie Kirk was challenged on his opposition to the Civil Rights Act. Someone asked why Charlie thinks that the Civil Rights Act was a mistake. Kirk started by saying that even if some of the original intent was good, it's now being used for bad things, like allowing men in women's locker rooms, to the complete shock of the questionnaire, Kirk and Viveki then went on to explain why we should repeal the Civil Rights Act.
Speaker 13: The fanfare that the Civil Rights Actor is met with. It's almost like the new Constitution. We talk about the Civil Rights Act more than the Constitution. Is it is cited more than the Constitution. We almost had a new American founding in the nineteen sixties with the Civil Rights Act.
Speaker 14: So let me share a couple of couple hard facts with you, which is that turns out that you're much more likely to end up in prison, you're much more likely to end up in poverty, you're much more likely not to graduate from high school if you grow up in a single parent household versus the dual parent household. Today you're talking about upwards of sixty percent of black kids born into single parent households rather than dual parent What number do you think that was in the nineteen fifties, before the Great Society, Probably it was even less twenty percent twenty percent back then. So then we look at what the results have been of this entire agenda. Put the Civil Rights Act, put the LBJ great society. Black Americans are worse off today even economically in terms of mobility than they were back then, in the name of laws that were passed to supposedly advance black interests.
Speaker 7: Oh god, do you know what that can actually be attributed to. It's the massive increase in policing and the carcinal justice system that was specifically intensified as a conservative reaction to black people gaining more civil rights in society.
Speaker 13: The Civil Rights Act has nine different titles in it, and you have this this leviathan that was created, and something that most Black Americans dunt support is men in female sports. Would you agree men playing in female sports? I have no, Yeah, I know, no, no for sure, right, but believe it or not, the Civil Rights Act is now being used to keep men playing in women's sports. So the Civil Rights Act was used to help Black America originally totally get that, but now the way it was written is that any claim of identification, so someone says I'm a woman, therefore I can compete in your volleyball team. They come in with a civil rights claim, and so what we're saying is no, no, no, it should be specified to racial, not gender all that other stuff. And there were all these other privilegis as well.
Speaker 7: How sad is it that this kid was convinced that the fucking Civil Rights Act is bad through transphobia. It's so fucking predatory what Kirk is doing here. This was so fucking gross to watch in person. As the day went on, things just started to get more and more kookie. A whole batch of like libertarian Austrian trained economists went back and forth with Charles and Viveka on tariffs, free markets, and the validity of the economic philosophy of Frederick Hayek. This fucking dude with a little mustache, who ostensibly got up to debate Kirk on abortion said that quote, I think my generation has started to abuse the option of abortion. Unquote, like why the fuck are you up there debating him? Then Jesus Christ and then what I would call generously a himbo in a white dude's for Harris shirt said that Kamala's greatest to pumplishment is being an idol. After debating Kirk about FEMA money being spent on illegal immigrants. Meanwhile, Kirk just continued to spew COVID nineteen conspiracy theories to very little pushback.
Speaker 13: They were wrong about everything. They were wrong about six feet to solder spread. They were wrong about the vaccine safe and effective.
Speaker 14: They were hey, they we were wrong about whether the Arthur revolves around the sun.
Speaker 4: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: One student just got so fed up with Kirk's endless rambling about topics unrelated to their question and decided to walk away, which then, of course, Kirk claimed as a rhetorical victory.
Speaker 13: How to biden laptop misinformation? Where did the virus come from? Biolabs? It's exactly how fine? That's okay, go to your fics class.
Speaker 7: I was losing it and frankly just shocked at how little pushback Charles and Vivek were receiving for what I saw is very clear lies and manipulative debate tactics. The majority of some people clearly did not think too hard about the question they were going to ask, or let alone research the topic of debate beforehand. I saw people in line to ask a question using chat GPT to generate questions to ask using a prompt about how to debate Charlie Kirk at a Turning Point USA event, like what the fuck is going on now? I fundamentally refuse to participate in quote unquote debates like this for reasons that I will soon get into. So I just started taking notes of all the things Charlie was lying about, and I was right at the very front of the crowd. So whenever TPUSA publishes the video Charlie Kirk destroying silly liberal college students, you should be able to see me pretty clearly in the background in my fucking Ronald reag at a hat, just furiously scribbling down notes. Though I would recommend watching with an ad blocker not to give Kirk extra money. The whole event was a pretty pathetic affair. By my count, there were only eight liberal leaning challengers who questioned Kirk compared to thirteen conservative leaning questionnaires who entered a friendly discussion with Kirk. Out of all the liberal debaters, too backed down because they didn't want to get too political, and three others appeared to be at least somewhat swayed by Kirk and vivek now like I can't entirely blame these students right like, this setting is not a real debate. Kirk holds all of the power. He does this for a living, and he fucking brought a friend with him to help. It's two of them versus one. It's Kirk and Vivek. There's a reason he prefers debating college students rather than working professionals. Most students are not prepared to effectively counter Kirk's claims and don't have enough general knowledge on current events to call him out on every one of his many lies. And even if they do catch him on something, Kirk will try to project authority to sway the uneducated audience into believing that he is correct. Just because teens are chronically online doesn't mean that they have better media literacy, critical thinking, or know how to determine the validity of information. A twenty twenty four survey by News Literacy America found that only fifty percent of teens could identify that in article labeled as branded content on a news site was in fact an advertisement. Barely over half of teens could accurately identify an op ed with the word commentary in the headline as an opinion piece, forty four percent claimed that a company's own press release was more credible than an independent news report on the same subject, and thirty four percent of teens incorrectly labeled a random picture of damaged traffic lights as quote unquote strong evidence supporting a viral false claim that hot July temperatures had melted traffic lights. These teens surveyed said that local TV news and TikTok were the most trustworthy sources of information, and thirty five percent of teens said that professional journalists are more biased than social media content creators. Meanwhile, forty five percent said that journalists are just as biased as these TikTok influencers. Let's do a test right now, try to see if you can determine that these following clips are in fact advertisements. Okay, we are back now. This was technically my first time seeing this format of conservative YouTube debate in person. The videos that got published online later get heavily edited down, and while I was going at it in my notepad, I started to recognize the repeating patterns that Kirk and Vivek employed to gain dominance in almost every single debate matchup. So now I'm going to talk about some of these common tactics used by Kirk. When Kirk or Vivek wants to end a particular line of questioning or move on to the next person, they'll just restate their own opinions as fact and then end that debate, leaving the impression that they won. They can just stop whenever they feel like they have made the final point that gives them victory.
Speaker 4: Here's Vivek.
Speaker 14: The number one human attribute that our legal immigration system selects for isn't who's smart. Isn't who's going to work hard, isn't who loves the country. It's are you willing to lie to the US government or not. If you are, you get in.
Speaker 13: If not, you don't. That's the way it works.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: And here's another example from Kirk.
Speaker 13: Black Americans are treated far worse than illegals in this country, and we have violated our social contract to our own citizens. And I just want you to think about that, okay. Is that if you into America, you get a flight to the country the city of your choosing, You get taxpayer funded luxury hotels, you get a taxpayer funded phone, taxpayer funded food stamps, whereas many Americans are struggling to even make ends meet, So thank you so much for coming.
Speaker 7: Yeah, what a convenient way to say a bunch of bullshit without having to back any of it enough. Now, of of course, welfare programs like food stamps and even assistants to get access to smartphones, since they basically are now a requirement of everyday life, those programs do exist, right, Those are important programs. But those free flights to any city, that's actually a reference to New York City's reticketing program, which offers one way bus or plane tickets out of the city. This program was actually started because the governor of Texas sent forty thousand immigrants to New York against their will. And those quote unquote luxury hotels are actually a small part of an emergency housing program that utilizes some converted hotels as well as airport motels and even office buildings as temporary shelter for immigrants. But I'm sure Kirk would rather these people just be homeless living on the street. I'm sure he wouldn't find ways to complain about that too. A very common Kirk tactic to avoid answering a question is just to simply flip it around and ask the students a different question that might eventually be related to the student's original question, but not necessarily.
Speaker 13: Let me ask you just one more question. Can men give birth?
Speaker 8: Can men give birth?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 8: If they're transgender? Q?
Speaker 7: The audience's shocked response. These people probably don't even know if this refers to a transgender woman or a transgender man.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 7: For another example, here's how Levek responded to a question about voter fraud allegations.
Speaker 13: Do you think dal Trump committed a coup against the US government?
Speaker 7: This was part of Kirk's response to a question about US aid to Israel.
Speaker 13: What is your strong opinion about the civil war happening in the Central African Republic.
Speaker 7: For another example, a student asked Kirk what should be done about hate crimes against Venezuelan immigrants in cities like Chicago?
Speaker 13: Chicago?
Speaker 8: I think that we should do.
Speaker 13: I have a question, so what part of Chicago from?
Speaker 4: So these are all just classic red herricks. Here's another.
Speaker 13: Do you admit that the Hamas tried to commit genocide on October seven?
Speaker 7: Also simply not what a genocide is. Now, Sometimes students can catch what Kirk is doing with red herrings and deflections, but even when drilled down on the original line of questioning, Kirk will try hard to pivot away whenever the momentum is not going in his favor.
Speaker 13: You guys are super focused on technical things that we could talk about forever. Let me just ask a question. I asked you, what is Kamala Harris's greatest accomplishment? Can you tell me what that would be?
Speaker 7: Perhaps the most common tactic Charlie Kirk employes to maintain control over the interaction is instead of just stating his opinion, Kirk will throw a question back to his opponent with the intent of getting them to say something that's in support of Kirk's own argument. Alternatively, Kirk will ask a question that the student probably doesn't know, like some specific stat but something that Kirk already has a prepared answer for, so that he can throw off his opponent, make them question their own ability to debate, and make himself seem smarter. Here's a short compilation.
Speaker 13: If there was a policy that made markets more free but hurt your country, would you support it? Do you believe that FDR was right and partnering with Joseph Stalin to defeat Hitler?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 13: So I guess two questions with tariff's how do you avoid a tariff's? Ask another moral question, then, is it ever okay to do something evil after an l under abortion? Do you carve out a new morality? Is there like a different kind of morality that we apply only to abortion? At what point does it get human rights?
Speaker 8: Let me ask you just a question.
Speaker 14: Do you know which nation is the biggest supplier of the US military today?
Speaker 8: You could probably guess it.
Speaker 13: Is your phone, paid for by US taxpayers. Let me ask you, did you have a big this summer in a luxury hotel paid for by taxpayers? Ten people are murdered in Chicago. Out of those ten, how many of those cases will be solved on average?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 13: Okay? So you said wanted to suspend the Constitution? Did he do that when he was president?
Speaker 7: His argumentative style looks pretty goofy when it's all broken down into its respective parts. Now to circle back to my stance of just never engaging with these bad faith debate spectacles. Lastly, I'll show you what happens when you quote unquote do well against someone like Charlie Kirk. I think the only time Kirk was really thrown off was during one of the very last matchups, with a student asking about Kirk's support of military aid to Israel despite his alleged anti war stance and his call for the US to pause all foreign aid until the southern border is secured. Like usual, Kirk first tried to deflect by using red herrings and turn questions back on the student.
Speaker 13: Let me ask you this a first principal question. Do you think the Jewish people have a moral rights to their religions?
Speaker 10: Do not have?
Speaker 7: Kirk then failed to accuse the student of anti Semitism. Kirk then tried to trick the student into saying that Hamas is more morally good than Israel, But the student saw what Kirk was trying to do with his bizarre moralistic framing.
Speaker 13: Do you think that Israel as it's currently constituted is morally equivalent with Hamas?
Speaker 7: The student quite wisely did not answer Kirk's precariously worded yes or no question and instead reframed the question in their own words and only then stated their opinion that both Hamas and the IDs actions can be constituted as evil.
Speaker 4: Still, Kirk wouldn't relent.
Speaker 13: So which one is better? Which one is good is better.
Speaker 7: His nonsensical framing was once again rejected, but then Kirk accused the student of being propagandized and then asked if they had personally been to Israel to assess the situation.
Speaker 4: And this is when everything fell apart.
Speaker 13: Let me tell you this that you know that.
Speaker 16: There's Arab serving in the Kannesset, you know that, and there why you're a point of Jews saying I don't like Jews because Israel absolutely.
Speaker 13: Saying I'm just gonna I'm gonna go back to this because I think it's so interesting though, which is that I believe that the Jewish people do have a rights their ancestral body.
Speaker 16: Well, first of all, that you believe that they should be leveling buildings because that's their ancestral home.
Speaker 13: I'm not I'm not defending every decision they made, but that's exactly what they're doing. Interrupt every you're interrupting. I'm gonna ask for our next question because you're not arguing.
Speaker 4: The more questions.
Speaker 13: Not much to debate, because I believe that Israel should exist in its current form, you do not, thank you very much. Okay, last couple the moral confusion on the Israel topic. Is it's it's hard to clear up in a vendy like this.
Speaker 7: Again, like these aren't real debates. If the conversation goes any way other than how Kirk wants it to go, he has complete control of the environment and can move on to a more desirable apent because, like, beyond convincing any gullible people that might happen to be in the crowd, the real reason Kirk does events like this is to make content.
Speaker 4: It's YouTube debate.
Speaker 7: These debate videos rack up thousands and sometimes millions of views on YouTube and TikTok, and every single person that participates as if these are real debates is directly helping Charlie Kirk make money and grow his brand. This TPUSA Brainwash Tour will continue into November, and I'm sure Charlie Kirk will keep doing events like this in the years to come, regardless of who wins the election. So what's the options to counter something like this? I'm of three minds. My default response to stuff like this is usually just to ignore. Don't give these attention hounds what they're looking for, don't try to debate, don't try to own Charlie Kirk with facts and logic, there's no real benefit from engaging with him and his ilk on their own terms, but there will always be at least a few college students who think they can get one up on Charlie Kirk. So since these events are gonna continue to happen even if my friends and I withhold our participation, the second option is just to simply confuse. This is what I call the skibbity Biden strategy, one which I deployed against the my pillow guy Mike Lindell in front of the Israeli Consulate as he tried to suck up as much attention as possible during the DNC.
Speaker 4: They might come work. Skibbity Biden, skibbity Biden, give me buy one. This was probably my favorite moment of the DNC.
Speaker 7: This strategy of complete confusion doesn't just deny the subject what they want. If you're the my pillow guy attention from reporters or, in the case of Charlie Kirk, an unfair debate against a non media trained college friend Shuman, but the skibbity Biden strategy also eats up their time, prohibiting others from being able to engage on the terms decided upon by Turning Point USA, the more time you spend spewing your near unintelligible gibberish about how Warhammer connects to US foreign policy or explaining your made up conspiracy theory about how the Hawktua girl is a CIA asset. All of that is less time for some nineteen year olds to challenge Kirk on his abortion views, and a knowing Charlie Kirk is just a fun bonus, now that I think about it, this is essentially the patent Oswalt filibuster tactic. Now, obviously Kirk has control of the mic and probably won't let you ramble on about gibberish for too long, So this strategy becomes more successful if you can get a whole team lined up in front of the microphone. Now, finally, the last option is disruption through force, preferably in a way that limits the possibility of creating an on camera spectacle that can be utilized by TPUSA. This has typically not been a common tactic used to counter Turning Point events on campus, but it may be time to reconsider. Forceful disruptions were often utilized when figures like Milo Uanapolis toured college campuses back in twenty sixteen to twenty eighteen, and more recently against campus events featuring Daily Wire employees like Michael Knowles and Matt Walsh. Historically, this strategy has not been applied to Charlie Kirk, as he's been viewed as less radical than some of these other figures. But I just don't think that's true anymore. Kirk is spreading and normalizing hardcore as xenophobic and nationalist rhetoric across college campuses with little to no resistance, not to mention his complete embrace of conspiracy theories and use of transphobia to undermine civil rights. There's many ways to disrupt events like this through forceful means, sound disruption, visual disruption, physical disruption, planning an alternate event to take place at the same time, and place big banners with Charles's tiny face carefully placed in view of the debate cameras. Creative opportunities abound, but it requires people to be actively monitoring when and where these events take place and actually plan a counterdemo ahead of time, and that just doesn't seem to be happening at the moment. And so I thought going to this event would help reboot my brain cheer myself up and amuse me with Charlie's childish display of debate kid politics. But it just left me more sad watching hapless kids fall prey to Kirk's transparent scheme, just feeling like I had no way to stop the train wreck. But it doesn't have to be this way. With a few friends and a little preparation, there is an alternative and hey, it could happen here. Well that's my recap on this fucking Charlie Kirk rally. Oh and heads up, next week, there's gonna be no Spooky Week episodes for the first time in four years. Sorry, the world has just gotten too spooky this year. Between the election and hurricanes and the genocide and Gaza and everything else happening, the world's just too spooky. I'm really just not feeling Halloween pilled as I usually am. Hopefully things will get better soon. But in lieu of Spooky Week, we actually have a special series from James on the Darien Gap, so you have that to look forward to next week. Goodbye everyone, see you on the other side.
Speaker 2: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat Death of the Universe.
Speaker 4: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.