Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and a welcome to ok F Daily with Me your Girl. Recording from the Long Island home Bunker, Folks, I am having a fucking day, and it's one of those days where the night before I spent way too many fucking hours on Twitter unpacking the latest Tucker Carlson story and what I have been thinking about. As we, you know, are getting the drip drip drip of all of his fucking texts, probably from Fox News or some affiliate of Fox News, there is something much bigger going on. There is something much bigger as all of these distractions that Fox and the media are putting out. I just there is a nagging feeling that I have that it's like, look at this shiny thing over here while we continue to you know, disrupt and rob and pillage all of your civil liberties over there. I want us to be able to have the flexibility to walk and chew gum at the same time, to both stay alert and yet stay emotionally well and intact, which I am struggling with this week. I came to Long Island because one I wanted to spend time with my family, but I also needed to be around just more nature and get a change of scenery because I feel like I'm losing my mind, and I know that I'm not alone. I know that's why many of you come to this show to feel like you were in community and not just a crazy person that wants to be able to open up their front door and just scream. I feel like if we were to collectively decide to do that as like a society, just every day, at say seven pm, just open up your front door and let out a scream for you know, one to five minutes and then just go back inside. I feel like we would all be better off these days because it's how we are all fucking feeling. I am going to be having a conversation on this episode, a super sized conversation with my friend, doctor Christina Greer, who is a political scientist, and you see her on MSNBC and in other places talking about, you know, our democracy and pretty much how to stay sane, and how she continues to teach you know, the next generation of analysts and political scientists and you know, potential politicians and legislators and all of these things, and how she continues to hold on to hope because I gotta tell you, I you know, have long nails, and I feel like I am hanging on to the side of a cliff with my claws, just you know, trying my damnedst Some days are better than others, folks, and today is not one of those days. I am going to go back to what I tell you all, which is to limit my time on social media, particularly the cesspool formerly known as Twitter. It's just okay, Like, let me just say this. Social media this week has been crazy. On one hand, if you're on Instagram and you use Instagram as a way to you know, follow pretty things, you see this whole alternative universe of like the met Gala and all of these super wealthy, you know, famous people without a care in the world except to where you know are and go to fancy parties that we all drool over because they get to live inside of a real life fantasy. Their life is a real live fantasy of you know, cocktail parties and you know caviare and the like. And then you go on to Twitter, which is just a seft pool but also a microcosm of you know, the existential crisis that we're all living in, whether it's the economic crisis, the fact that rents are going up everywhere, and pretty much there's a housing crisis and nowhere is affordable that you know, the Feds are going to raise interest rates again, that children are being found to be working at fast food restaurants, which was just discovered by CNN ten year olds working at a McDonald's until two am and not getting paid, because that's fucking normal because the Republicans are rolling back child labor laws. And then you know, there's Republicans also rolling back the ability for women no fault divorces in Red states, so that women have to stay trapped inside of marriages that they want don't want to be in. And you know, on top of that, Carrie babies that they don't want. I feel like I want to fucking scream, like I'm losing it, folks, And yeah, this is not a great week. So I am going to meditate again for like the third time today, go out for a walk and take in something beautiful that doesn't revolve around capitalism or patriarchy or white supremacy, and hopefully tomorrow will be better. But today not fucking great. And that's okay. Some days again, are better than others, and we just have to recognize that that we're in it right now. I don't know what the other side looks like, or frankly, if any of us will be alive to see it, because some days I feel like we're about a couple of months into the hundred year War and we won't know it until you know, historians documented if they're still alive. Oh m mmm. I just it's like, you want society to be better, right, Like each generation's responsibility is to try and better the society. But it's like, how do you continue to push against these forces that are just you know, herculean at this point, that are successfully pulling us back to the eighteen hundreds. I mean, I can't wait for them to pass, you know nationwide, you know, prayer back in schools, which they're already doing in the South. Women can't wear pants, can't get a divorce, have to carry babies, can't work. I mean, you know, I want people to understand that there was a time when Iran was a democratic country, when they were liberties, civil liberties and freedom, and then the Islamic you know, regime came in and everything changed. And that's what I feel like we are facing right now, and more people just need to wake up and be conscious to that. Coming up next, my conversation with my friend doctor Christina Greer. Folks, whenever I have the opportunity to speak with one of my good, good colleagues and friends in the space of politics, I am so incredibly honored always when doctor Christina Greer, political scientists and associate professor at Fordham University, joins us and is the author of Black Ethnics and the co host of FAQ NYC and host of the Blackest Questions on the Grio Black Pods. Let me tell you something. There is not a day that has gone by this year thus far where I'm not like, oh, our democracy is in shambles, Like oh, I think that, Oh, I think we've reached the point of no return, Like I don't think that this is repairable. And I feel like historians, you know, if those people still exist and are not you know, in prison and in you know, someplace, we'll look back and be able to pinpoint, Christina, these inflection points that marked the end of our democracy. Now, you know, every time I've got my own right, every time I talk to you, you know, as a professor, I'm assuming you have to have some sense of hopefulness. Otherwise you wouldn't be trying to educate the future political scientists in this field. But when you're kind of taking a step back, as you know, we're not even six months into twenty twenty three and we're seeing this not no longer slow moving insurrection. Right, it wasn't just the violence that we saw in January sixth, twenty twenty one. There has been an onslaught at every angle, every level of government and every angle. What what are you thinking these days? And how does that how does that inform frankly, how you are teaching?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you know, I tend to have a pragmatic optimism just because I am with young people, and so I think we're in really good hands. Especially you know, I've said this before. I love this gen Z. Like they're just they're on some like I don't take no shit type of stuff.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, they're kind of like us.
Speaker 2: They're more like gen xers, you know, unlike millennials, Like they're scrappier, you know, they their future is uncertain. You know, we've gone through a lot as gen xers. You know, we've gone from like literally like tapes to you know the Internet and like we're latchkey kids and parents like good luck Bee.
Speaker 1: And nine want to get home. You know, like we kind of raised ourselves like pop tarts and stakehems, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's we we're scrappier and gen Z has some of that, so that makes me feel good. Yeah, we are on the precipice. But if we really, if we're honest, we're always on the precipice. Like the reality of this country is that we've never been in a good place.
Speaker 1: Never really no, no, like the ay was raven? Was I just too young? And yeah I think we were and like in my in my own stuff to think that, like there were better times than what the fuck we're living through right now. Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: The people were always here. They just didn't say it out loud, but they still professionally they you know, prevented people from getting promotions, they prevented people from moving to neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: Now they're just like negroes. I just don't want you here.
Speaker 2: But before and I should use the Southern accent because it's all they these states. But like gonna say, right, so it's you know, as Mark Dwaine always tells us, he's like, hey, listen, you know these other women learn from the Northern women a lot of ways. But you know, I think now, as as Donald Trump would always say, it's like, you know, we're this silent majority and just like say it out loud. And he's given people permission to say things out loud. But it's not like he taught them. He's just saying stop whispering it amongst your quiet circles.
Speaker 1: You can say it like be loud and proud. So I don't feel like, yes, are we Does it feel like we're on the break? Absolutely, But if.
Speaker 2: We're really honest, which we're never honest about the history of this nation right where this nation has always been, it's like we're always sort of on the break, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, then, what what is it then? Because I think, because I think that you're right right, I think that it is this Pollyanna whitewash, purposefully whitewashed view of America that we have been indoctrinated with since we entered the K through twelve public education system and beyond. If you went into a liberal arts college then maybe and decided to take some classes that opened up your eyes and began to the re education right of yourself. Then maybe you know some other things, but the reality is, you know, let's take Tulsa, Oklahoma, the hundredth anniversary of the massacre that was just you know, acknowledged by the first President Joe Biden, right a couple of years ago, and I would tell you probably nine and ten Americans didn't know what that was. That this was a shock to them, and a shock to then learn that it wasn't the first, the second, that they're the fourth, the fifth, that you know, we could I could keep counting, I would run out of appendages. So when when you say we've always been on the brink, then is it Christina that we are more conscious now so it feels different or is there something also very different about this particular moment, both right.
Speaker 2: And so One, first of all, we're a little bit older, so we're putting pieces together in a more complex way. Two, we're in a twenty first century version of racist America. So like, this isn't the seventeen seventies sixth version, or the sixteen nineteen version, or the eighteen sixty five version, or the nineteen twenties version, or even the nineteen eighties version. So we're in the twenty twenty three episode.
Speaker 1: And it feels different.
Speaker 2: But I think, you know, we also have a few other competing factors, So we have a lot of visible powerful Black people aren't just like athletes and singers, right, So I think there's a collective freak out about white people when it comes to equity, right, anytime there's inclusion, they see it as a loss by and large, And so this idea that like black people and Asian people and Ladno people and even Native people here there are coming into what has always been told to them. It's their space, right, their neighborhoods, their schools, their jobs. So that's because that's the foundation of America. So it feels as though they are losing everything, like Archie Bunker on steroids often, you know, because that's the whole premise of all in the fact, it's the friendly racist you know. Yeah, But I mean the genius of that show is that he's mad.
Speaker 1: Don't forget.
Speaker 2: He's mad that the Jefferson's move into his neighborhood. Right, He's apoplectic when they move out for the Upper East Side because they made so much money. They're like blagueens, right, So it's like that's where we're in this moment, and then you add in this other piece. And the other piece is not just the four years of forty five who said bees racist as you want, it's cool, but also.
Speaker 1: The proliferation of guns. Yes, and also so it's like guns, guns, guns. Anybody can get guns.
Speaker 2: You can get them legally, illegally. You can get guns that can blow up children.
Speaker 1: In three minutes, as we've seen three minutes, in three seconds, three seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you add on top of that and it was literally justll in my therapist this today. COVID is going to take a while for us to ever fully process like that year and a half of like the intense we're still in COVID, but like from that March twenty twenty to sort of like kind of like the end of twenty twenty one when it was really intense or maybe even why I.
Speaker 1: Would say again.
Speaker 2: Because that's when omicron popped back up, right, So like let's just let's just say two years, right, I'll.
Speaker 1: March to March right, March twenty twenty. March twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: We had over a million deaths that were just not are like we still talk about nine to eleven as we should right.
Speaker 1: But we don't talk. But we don't talk. You said to process, and I'm like, to process something, I'm in therapy too. One would have to acknowledge you have to be something and so to be processed. So again with racism, we got to acknowledge that it's here. Well most Americans are you.
Speaker 2: Guys are just being so histrionic and you're always making something out of an ealthy right. So when I, you know, talk about what what happens to a sixteen year old boy who's being shot in the head, and I start with, why are you all leading the story with he was an upstanding student and in the band.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that shouldn't matter. I don't put it was a drug dealer on the street. He's a child. He shouldn't get shot in the head. And people are like, well, you know what, he's in the wrong neighborhood. If he didn't want to get shot, he shouldn't have been a white neighboro That's the immediate response I get, right, Or if I'm talking about children at the border and I'm like, how can this country separate to this? You know, during the forty five's administration, separating children who are so young, they don't know their names, they don't know their parents' names. They will never they won't right in and this remind people they were using sharpies to write on baby's arms.
Speaker 2: Just I see my child one day. Who knows, right, we'll hopefully use DNA evidence to like reunite. And we don't know about the sex trafficking or the labor like all these things that these poor children are going to endure and are enduring probably right now, right, And then people message me, if they don't want to lose their kids, they shouldn't have come here. So and it's like, right, but your ancestors came here, didn't speak a look at English. They came here on boats too, you know. So like this lack of seeing other people as human has always existed, and it's like it's wild for us. But I think what also feels very different, And this is why I love Mark Twain and I'm on the board of the Mark Twain House, is because Mark Twain has always talked about white women. He's always put them up there, just like I think a lot of people are shocked, like what women are upholding picturearchy, racism? Can you imagine? And I think for a lot of people they're learning it for the first time, and a lot of white women are like, yo, what's out with my people? Like I'm not like that, but like there are a lot of white women who were doing things that are like the antithesis of like what would ever help move women along?
Speaker 1: Or like people like me whenever it may be, But it's like, right, but we don't respect history in this country.
Speaker 2: We I mean, we've seen time and time again. It's not just Ron Desantists who's sort of trying to make sure.
Speaker 1: We're a historic. We've been a historic.
Speaker 2: This is why we didn't learn about Tulsa in school, right, This is why we didn't learn about Black Wall Street in school.
Speaker 1: This is why the four black people that you know, most Americans know are Martin Luther King, Frederick Douglass, to journ the truth, Harriet Tubman. That's it.
Speaker 2: Nobody talked about Mary mclabathoo. Right, and so like part of my podcast, you know, people, these questions are hard. It's like because we should know them, because black history is American history, and if we don't know it, then we're lying to ourselves. So like we have to ask ourselves, why is it that the selective history, like all the Native Americans who were snatch from reservations or first of all put on reservations and then snatch from reservations and sent to these schools, similarly to what we're doing with kids on the border, you know, like basically imprisoning them and like indoctrinating them and making them speak English and lose their native language. They've never seen their parents. Rampant sexual abuse and mental and physical and emotional abuse. We've been doing that, Like we didn't learn about that in school either. So this idea that we take things out of the educational system, is it new? This idea that white women have pold patriarchy, racism, is it new? This idea that white people don't want people of color in their homes, neighborhoods, schools, you know, all the things we.
Speaker 1: Talked about this Danielle Upper west Side two years ago.
Speaker 2: A few years ago, w into BLOSSI was trying to make folks combine the two public schools K through five, the one that was fancy and the one that served the kids in the Project Black Latino primarily these white mothers. You would think we're Mississippi nineteen sixty two, the way, it was like, you can't these kids in my school.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's a public school, easy killer. Second of all, do you really think that a five year old is going to become quote unquote dumber just from having a black kid in their class? Yes, they do, because they have had because they have been spending their entire you know, life savings and what have you on the nannies and on the tutors and on this that and the other things. So the idea of black and Latino children in your child's classroom means that the classroom room must be inferior. That's what. That's what, that's what that taught. That's exactly what, and that's what you fundamentally believe.
Speaker 2: Because if you look at Jose and he speaks English and Spanish, it's a negative. But your kid with the private nanny teaching them Spanish, all of a sudden, it's like it's a leg u.
Speaker 1: You know. So like even how we fray up being bilingual or bicoastal, whatever it may be, or having you know, parents who are immigrants. I mean, first of all, like Donald Trump, four of your five kids are children of an immigrant, Like you're so anti immigrant.
Speaker 2: Two of your three wives are immigrants. Immigrants, immigrants, not just like a little bit, right. So I say all that to say we're in dark times. Yeah, but I'm like, I know who.
Speaker 1: This country is. She's the same as she always is. So it's like, I'm not freaking out because she doesn't really surprise me that much. And my grandmother used to always say, the only time you should be surprised is when you're surprised. You know what it is for me these days is that I am not surprised. I am exhausted by grief. Yeah, right, it is not It is not the surprise because this country has been stealing black and brown children from their mother's wounds, from their homes, from you know, since the beginning of time. Right, i am exhausted by the fact that there is no corner of this country that is safe for black people. I'm exhausted that there was just the NRA, Right, the NRA, following two back to back mass shootings, host their fucking convention, and there were pictures going around the internet of young white boys holding up guns yeah to cameras, right, And I'm thinking to myself, and yet a black boy in this country can't get lost. Right, a black boy in this country can't play on a playground with a fake gun, but a white boy can hold up a real one. Ain't gonna be and that be considered cute and okay, So I just it is not this. I'm not surprised. I'm just exhausted by grief. And I don't really know even understanding but a smidge of the history that I should know. I don't know what to do with the persistent grief.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, listen, when whoever figures that out will get the Nobel Peace Prize, because I literally I mean that was the topic of today's therapy session, which.
Speaker 1: Was I'm numb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I say I'm exhausted because I can't, I can't allow myself to fully understand it.
Speaker 1: Right, I think that I was like, I think the people who were crazy on the subway, who were like.
Speaker 2: I don't want to used to work crazy, the people who are on the subway like talking to themselves and like clearly not on this planet with us. Fully, I'm like, I think that they're brain are like processing all that is happening, or at least more of what is happening than we are. Because if my brain allowed me to process, first of all.
Speaker 1: The past. Forget about how were you even here?
Speaker 2: My brain camp process, How we have sharks on the East coast, it should be in Africa, right, plankton and seaweed and fish, like there were so many people that were thrown overboard. It's like we have a whole literally marine ecosystem that has changed because of the transnational both we also, you know, like thinking about white people used to use black children as bait when they would you know out here, don't like all these things. George Washington ripping the teeth out of his enslaved Africans, you know, wearing them as the teeth.
Speaker 1: But we're taught it's wooden teeth, like just lies, lies, lies, lies, right, the incessant rape, people liking this shit in their enslaved Africans' mouths.
Speaker 2: Like just horrid, horrid stuff like brain camp process. But then I bring it to the twenty first century, and it's like after Sandy Hook is, you know, when you start off talking about like what are these inflection points where it's like we lose you know, we've lost democracy. Sandy Hook is on that list, right, because the middle class white children, And I said and I mean, this isn't you.
Speaker 1: Know, profound? Everyone said it, who cares about these issues? But we all said, if they let this slide white children, yep, beautiful little middle class white children. If they're gonna let these babies get murdered in school and do nothing about it, we're done.
Speaker 2: Were done where none of us are safe, and white people will soon find out that they're not safe either.
Speaker 1: Right. But I was like, but blood people, damn sure, it's it.
Speaker 2: And then what happened Obama hired crisis actors. That's when also it was like, oh, we've just jumped the shark. We I mean, this is where's the bonds in his leather jacket? We have fully jumped the shark right now. So there's that.
Speaker 1: I think O. J.
Speaker 2: Simpson's an inflection point like that, do you realize if you talk to it, if you listen to like white people talk on podcast, TV shows, like scripted TV shows, whatever, in conversation, the number of times that OJ Simpson is brought up is fascinating to me. Folks are still feeling it, like that is the first time where they're like this negro got off Scott free, like the way they're accustomed to getting off Scott free. But we we that was the first time it was like class trumped money, and and it was a white woman and she was blonde, Like just a whole bunch of stuff. If you start paying attention, you'll realize the number of shows where it's like oj Simpsons still comes up like this thing happened last year. Obama's another inflection point. It's like educated black man, his black family, like all these highly successful, smart black people that he hired, where all of a sudden, it's like, wait, that one black kid in the class that nobody talked to. It's like, yeah, it's a gaggle of us, Like you put us.
Speaker 1: All together, right, It's like so then all of a sudden, it's like they started realizing it's like, well that one black give you'm your class, one black kid from his class, and that one black from our class. He's like, right now we're a whole cohort and low key we know each other.
Speaker 2: So like, you also can't get away with some of your bad behavior because we do know each other, and now we no longer suffer in silence. We actually talk to each other about your bad behavior. So and we're your boss. So that's a whole other thing because most most white people have never First of all, they don't have white friends or black friends, but they don't have black bosses. Like this is why I think it's so important to have black teachers. You know, a friend of mine, Misha Mosley, doctor Misha Mosley, started the Black Teacher Project because it's like most black people have never most white people have never had a black person in a position of power over them, black boss, black teacher, black principal. And you see the constraints and the struggles that black teachers go through with their administrators and you know, sort of their colleagues who don't respect them in the same ways. You know, I see it as a black professor, the charals and tribulations of not just getting the PhD, but also getting tenure.
Speaker 1: You know, like all these things. It's like, it's still America.
Speaker 2: So just because we're in one profession, it's not like racism doesn't exist in the profession, but it is. You know, journalists talk about it, doctor's talk about it, nurses talking about it, everybody.
Speaker 1: It's just I guess also where I find myself is that in the listing of accomplishments and achievements right of black people. Despite every purposeful, racist, systemic obstacle that is placed in our way, there's more than one cohort of successful, intelligent, all you know black folks, right, and this challenges the white worldview. And so here we find ourselves. Now, what are we fit? Twelve years removed from Obama's first term, and we find ourselves experiencing white lash to the ninth degree, right that. I don't think I knew that there would be. I didn't think that the backlash. I didn't think that the white lash that is occurring would take us back to the eighteen hundreds, right, Like I didn't think it would go back there, right, Yeah, But if we'd look, I mean, who came after David Dinkins a series of life mass Rudi Giuliani right, specifically right everything like what happened to Rundiguland was like nothing. He was always this way. He's the one who led the riot on City Hall property with a whole bunch of drunken belize and fire employees of New York City threatening to hang David Dinkins when he was mayor, calling him a shoeshine boy and the N word while he's in City Hall, and had they broken through the barriers, lord knows what they would have done, throwing cans and bottles at city Hall led by Rudy Giuliani with a bullhorn. So like history doesn't how to wait, how do we remember him America's mayor? Until of course, fast forward to Donald Trump with the die dripping down it and everyone's like, what happened to him? It's like, nothing happened to him. He's the same guy. You guys just decided to choose five minutes in time with this, with this racist ignoramus and here we are, right And so it's like America has all these data points. It's just people don't like to connect the docks.
Speaker 2: And I do this before, you know, when it comes to like white allies, we're always just like what can I do? And you remember when you were growing up and you have you know, companies coming over Thanksgiving, Christmas or whatever. It's time to get the house together, right, like all hands on deck, you know, moms in the kitchen, we got things popping, and it's like people are coming, like, we got to get this house together. And I swear to you if my mom heard me ask the question, what do you should to do?
Speaker 1: Point?
Speaker 2: She was like, look around, look around, like I will not sit here and go through an itemized list when we have two hours.
Speaker 1: Before everyone gets here.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, vacuming needs to be done and trash cans and beds made. The house needs to look a certain way. You know what the house needs to look like, So.
Speaker 1: Get to it. Stop acting like you don't know what it means to entertain and have the house prepared right.
Speaker 2: Set this table, smait this floor, like, get yourself together, get your buying right.
Speaker 1: So it's like that's why I feel about white people were like excuse me, chrissy, Like what should I be doing? Girl? If we're in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty three and you were looking around at this disheveled house and you were asking be what you what needs to be picked up and taking upstairs? Like stop passing all the things old you know the bottom of the stairs that need to be taken upstairs. Stop passing it by, pick it up, pick it up and do the work. You know. It's like, we know that your grandpa and your uncle are going and.
Speaker 2: Your aunt right because we keep saying uncles and your aunt, they're not gonna listen to doctor CHRISI.
Speaker 1: Degreer, right, So it's like, do the work. Have those hard conversations, but people don't want to have them. So then all of a sudden, it's like, well what should I do.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, you don't feel like working, so I don't. I don't know what to say, Like you want me to tell you to do something that's real soft and easy so you don't have to do the work, And then you could just be like, hey, I did something.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, go knit a pink hat. Then that's what I tell you. Shit, that's you know, Christine. That the last question that I'll ask you just for this conversation, because God, I love our conversation so much. You know, I'm still I know, I'm sorry. That's all the things would need to be crown the valve. You're like, I'm gonna go knit, okay, okay, how do you? And you? You mentioned therapy and I mentioned therapy, and I talk about it a lot on woke Off. I talk a lot about mental health and care, and I have tweeted out that I'm at a stage of this week where you know, I'm at the stage pretty much at the end of every week of this of this year thus far, where I'm like, I just want to call out black like I am tired. My heart is heavy, my spirit is heavy, my body hurts, and so how is it? That? Is it that not processing sometimes that allows you to move forward? What are you doing to not run out of your home? Yes and scream in primal rage or just like throw the computer against the wall, just like be like you know what, just fuck it, just fuck it. I'm done. Well, I recognize that this is not a sprint. This this is a marathon. Our life is a marathon as black people, and so rest is resistance.
Speaker 2: I do go on vacations, this work will be okay, okay, Like I go to an undisclosed location for two weeks the second the semester ends, once the grades are in, go to graduation, put on my little fainting down and then about two weeks in the Caribbean, drinking beer for breakfast.
Speaker 1: Walking around in my swimsuit all day, sitting there looking at bird drama and iguanadrama. That's what I do. And then throughout like I have to go someplace hot.
Speaker 2: You see, I'm like dan in right, now right, it's like I have to have sunshine and I can't fully check out because it is during the semester. But like I'll go away for a few days and yeah, I still have to check in with email and things like that, and you know, I teach my classes, but like I have to leave this country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no way. I feel closter.
Speaker 2: But that's that was the hardest thing for me to movement, being stuck in this country. That was the longest I'd been in the United States as an adult. Just like without leaving, I have to leave this country like literally minimum, like every three to six months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd mean easy to start that plan and just to like.
Speaker 2: Just to be away from her because she can be a lot, she can be lovely. I mean, there's a lot of beauty in this country, in a lot of nature. And if you I can't leave the country. Like I was in New Mexico for a meeting, I felt like I was in a different country. Like so just going to different parts of the United States where it feels foreign to me because I don't know much about New Mexico and I don't mean listen, that's the only majority people of color state that we've got the state Charter, Spanish is equal to English.
Speaker 1: I mean it was. So it's not like going to Miami where it's like, oh, everyone speak Spanish except for.
Speaker 2: Me, but it's like no, no, no. In the State Charter we speak Spanish. So like one of my meetings I had the little translator a year on because it's like we don't speak English here. Yeah, it's America, it's New Mexico. So I have to get out of New York City. New York City is wonderful, but like she can be a lot. So I take breaks and I take rest.
Speaker 1: And you know, like I do. You know, I'm a big theater person, so like I have to go see like make believe worlds. Mmm, like theaters make believe. So I'm not a movies person. Couldn't tell you last time I went to the movie theater around COVID time. But like that's just not my that's not the thing that is my escape. I know a lot of people love movies as an escape, Like they go to the movie theater, they get their popcorn, like they save up and it's like it's an experience. I've never really enjoyed it like that. I love going to the theater. So that for me is like that's a few hours of just feeling feeling good. I also get massages and facials on a regular basis. Yeah, because no matter how much I get a massage, They're like, what are you holding from our body? And I'm like I know, They're like your a little old body, and it's like and I'm riddled with fyboids, like I know that stress, Like you know, it's all the scientists. We don't know why. Look, black women have ninety percent of all the viboards, you don't you know how I like, we could tell you we don't have you know, I don't have a medical degree, but I could tower it out.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I do try and take care of myself, you know, Like I mean when I say take care of myself, like treat myself to things that like realistically, if we were a different kind of country, these things would be paid for. You know, we would be like right right right, bath houses where you can go and steam and soak and you know, But because we don't, then I build that into the budget. So like I don't have you know, designer handbags because it's like, well that means I can't go to the spot so, you know, because I'm not a corporate lawyer. So it's like one or the other, and I'm choosing spot time. I don't begrudge people who you know, have Gucci sandals and all this other stuff. It's like I can't afford both. And yeah, I'm thoroughly disinterested in proud of bags if that means I can't.
Speaker 1: Not if I can't vacation inside of it exactly because I need sunshine. So like right now, I'm like researching. I gotta finish this book project that has been hanging over my head like a man both two years. I just haven't like looked at it, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, I need to leave clodly writing here isn't helping. So like I'm looking at random cities in Europe to like go sit down and like barely speak.
Speaker 1: The language so I won't be chippy chatman with people.
Speaker 2: Like go there and get work done period, someplace gorgeous and like find that beauty.
Speaker 1: I think that that is the most important lesson, is to find the beauty and a consistent reminder for myself and everybody listening that rest is resistance. It is especially for black women, particularly for black women that rest is resistance. And so with sleep, yeah, which I don't get much of these days. Oh I'm I'm like, I go to sleep now. I have this bad habit now waking up at three o'clock in the morning and like checking Twitter and Instagram. So I got to get out of that.
Speaker 2: But like I have like not like a bedtime, but like you know, go to sleep. It's out for sleep, like the gems are on teeth or brush face is washed.
Speaker 1: IM mind that, but that's me, is that the I go through these phases where I'm really really good, but my mind won't stop these days. So I need to figure out ways to stop it. But I will say I have a whole sleep, yeah, I will say. Friends listening to remember to engage with as much horror as we're seeing on a regular basis that to balance that with as much beauty as possible. Doctor Christina Greer, my friend, thank you so much for making the time for joining. OK, appreciate, appreciate, appreciate, appreciate our conversations.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love being here and hopefully not like a you know, clueless ray of sunshine. I'm just trying to balance.
Speaker 1: No, it's balanced. What this country is and what we can do. We can only do what we can do. Amen, and I sent you my sleep bridgement. You're the best. That is it for me today, Dear friends on wok f as always, Power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.