Speaker 1: When you get to the end of your life, what do you want your last memory to be. Do you want it to be that you've just made a deal that provided you with billions of pounds that you're never going to be able to spend. Or do you want that to be the conversation that you had with somebody that you've barely met and you've made a significant difference in the life and it's forever changed.
Speaker 2: When we set out to make this show about how to Live Forever, we had no plans to grapple with death or grief. This show was supposed to be weird and funny and full of lightness. And then we started thinking about immortality and life extension and then talking to scientists and philosophers, and within a pretty short time, our little team looked at one another and said, Ah, I guess we're going to have to talk about death, because it's the flip side, the quiet part, that unavoidable elephant in the room. And so at some point we knew that confronting death was something we'd have to do, But weirdly it turned out to be one of the sweetest conversations all season. I'm Munga's particular This is Skyline.
Speaker 3: Drive how to Live Forever. So far on How.
Speaker 2: To Live Forever, we've bombarded you with Petrie dishes and cryptobros, cryogenics and organ sacks and even more stuff you're probably still trying to wrap your head around. But today I wanted to tell you about some of the brightest people I met guiding folks through a dark space and the international phenomenon known as death cafes. Death cafes are events where people gather without judgment or agenda to talk about death, and the organization is led by two extraordinary British women.
Speaker 1: I'm Jeles Baski. I'm one of the co founders of Death Cafe. I run Death Cafe as a volunteer and work as a doctor in the NHS.
Speaker 4: I'm Susan Barskih. You do work part time as a psychotherapist. I voluntarily work with Death Cafe, assisting jewels, with some admin and with some links to the media.
Speaker 2: And tell me what is your relationship with one another?
Speaker 1: Susan's my mum.
Speaker 2: It's pretty simple.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, So the founder of Death Cafe is my brother John.
Speaker 2: John Underwood was endlessly curious, a lifelong seeker who grew up in Chester, England. He studied politics, philosophy and economics at Oxford. He fell in love with Buddhism and even worked for a while out of Buddhist center in London.
Speaker 1: John was always very philosophical, always searching for meaning in his life. I think he's kind of felt that the root of all evil was the lack of time and energy that people apply to the idea of death and dying, like all based in consumerism and politics, and people are kind of grasping for all of these things that they're never going to achieve because they don't think is this really that important? And that was something that he strived to do every single day.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me a little bit more about the jin of the cafe, Well.
Speaker 4: My husband saw an article in a newspaper about a man called Bernard Critaz who was a Swiss sociologist and he had held things called cafe motel in bars in Switzerland.
Speaker 2: Creta's cafe mortels were informal salons where people were invited to talk about death. It was a purposefully no rule set up inviting all commerce, with the only plan being to talk as openly as possible about this taboo topic. His first was in two thousand and four, and eventually he held hundreds around bars in alpine towns like his. He even got to Paris in twenty ten, where a journalist wrote a piece about it for The Independent. After John caught wind, he connected with Kreta and attended his final death cafe in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Speaker 4: Berard Cretaz stud I hand my mantle over to you was a really lovely moment.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And so how does he end up starting the cafes.
Speaker 4: It started in his kitchen in Hackney and East London, and he's got some friends together and some people that you knew. In September twenty eleven and I facilitated the first one.
Speaker 1: The first death cafe was a little bit different than death cafes look now, So there was a burning of effigies there. It was quite structured. There were sort of activities and whatnot. And then mum said to him John, stop just let people talk. Let there be some silence and some space for people to kind of just start to speak about the things they're important to them. And it was after that that John created the guidelines alongside my mum, which are very specific about what death cafes are and are not and how to run them?
Speaker 2: Can you walk me through a typical death cafe meeting today?
Speaker 4: Well, the thing is that it's always different. It depends on the people that go. Before it starts, I have music playing that is my own personal preference. And then people sit down at the appointed time, and I and always forget to tell them how long we're going to be there, which is an hour and a half. Please turn off your phone, Please be respectful to everybody's views, and can you tell us what's brought you here today? And that is literally what you do. And the conversation then flows from there.
Speaker 1: With some introduction about how death a cafe started, like it was started by John Jiels. Yeah, yeah, and then there will be in a reiteration a little bit of the guidelines. Death cafes are always free. We only ask for donations which pay for costs. We're not going to lead anybody to a course of action or conclusion. This is literally just no topics. Everybody can speak about whatever they'd like to speak about. You shouldn't run a death cafe in order to promote your product or your service. Hi, I don't actually say any of you should?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Plus yeah, Well I have recently started running a regular series of death cafes, which I've never done before, And what I really love is how much closeness and intimacy can develop in the hour and a half that you speak with these strangers. And I'm never probably going to see most of them again, and it's incredible that you need to experience it to understand. But it never ceases to amaze me how such a simple thing can bring such closeness between people.
Speaker 2: And I hear that there's cake a piece events. Why the cake?
Speaker 1: There's always cake, so Joan described it as having kind of like a midnight feast. But it's a bit kind of naughty talking about something that's so to do whilst having delicious cake and cups of tea, because their ritual of eating is nourishing and therefore kind of life prolonging.
Speaker 4: Always make okay, that's part of my preparation. I've done a ginger and spice treakle cake and lemon drizzle cake, chocolate cake. I'm wondering about coffee and walnut, but I don't know whether that's a bit niche. I don't know what you think me.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't have a pinion of the vial.
Speaker 4: There is a belief that it's going to be very sad and mournful going to a death cafe, but certainly the one I did last week, people laughed a lot. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like when people walk out of these cafes that they have a renewed spirit of life? Do they seem lighter? Like? What's the feeling of the person that walks out of these places versus the person who comes in?
Speaker 4: I think the sharing makes it you feel lighter. And it's like I was thinking about after a therapy session, if I've done a reasonable job, people walk out feeling better. It's almost like their face. You know, people's faces can be worried and creased, and then when they relax, their faces look like the bean I and I think they look like that when they come out of a death cafe.
Speaker 2: So tell me, like, are these clubs? Are they for grief? Why exactly do people join?
Speaker 4: Well, they've joined for a variety of reasons. Curiosity is one of them, and another one is the fact that it's not always acceptable in our culture to be talking about death and dying, and people want to feel free to be able to do that. It's not just about grief. Griefs often comes up in the conversation, and we.
Speaker 1: Actually discourage people who are what we call in the white hot heat of grief from attending the cafes just because there are places that are much better for providing grief support than death cafes are. Grief is always going to make an appearance, I think, because the majority of people who are thinking about death and dying have had an experience in their lives which is directly associated. But having said that, you've also got people who attend who have never had that experience, and you know, had thanatophobia or fear of death, and this kind of is almost like an exposure therapy to provide them with an opportunity to make that first journey into maybe coming to terms with it.
Speaker 2: It was just a matter of time before our conversation came around to grief, partially because grief is at the heart of their story and why Susan and Jules continue to run Death Cafe International. Jules is also a physician and she was pregnant with her second child during our conversation.
Speaker 5: You know, John was doing this full time and it was his baby, whereas you know I'm kind of balancing this alongside my own family life and you.
Speaker 1: Know, working in a job that takes quite a lot of from me.
Speaker 2: John Underwood died in twenty seventeen, six years after that first death cafe in his kitchen and Hackney.
Speaker 3: He was just forty four.
Speaker 2: When we come back from a quick break, we'll hear more about his life and how facing his own death helped others, including his own family, deal with the measurable loss.
Speaker 1: John had been feeling unwell for a couple of weeks, assuming it was a kind of flu bug, and then he collect appsed very suddenly after taking his children to a swimming class. So we all rushed over to the hospital where he was and we were with him whilst he was on life support. He'd had a brain hemorrhage as a result of a rare form of leukemia called acute promyolytticul leukemia, which would have been treatable if they'd discovered the source of the bleeding before it had caused catastrophic damage by resort of a stroke. So my mum and I were with John, and I think a lot of it was for me anyway, knowing what John would have been wanting at that point, and then because of Death Cafe, he'd already created this vast network of people who knew about him and had been on the front cover of the New York Times and had been in the Huffington Post. You know, he was a public figure.
Speaker 2: John's wife Donna, announced his passing in a blog post on the Death Cafe website. As you all know, the objective of death Cafe is helping us all make the most of our finite lives with shocking poignancy. On Sunday, the twenty fifth of June, we experienced the finiteeness of life at its most brutal, and more specifically, the finiteness of the life of John Underwood, founder of Death Cafe, dad to two truly amazing children, and my husband.
Speaker 3: He was forty four.
Speaker 2: What was it like to lose him? But also to know that he was ready or thinking about his death in a way that a lot of people don't or don't make time for.
Speaker 1: There was some comfort for me that he had discussed the fact that, you know, we don't know how long we're going to be here. This could be the last time that you see somebody, or you get to hold that person dealing with his legacy. Making sure that Death Cafe was being run gave an opportunity to focus on something. I don't know if it necessarily helped with grief because it was so sudden and he was so very important to all of us, but it provided me with an outlet from the energy that was kind of coming from the situation.
Speaker 4: Working on Death Cafe maintains a sort of closeness with him that I might not feel otherwise. The fact that he started this and we're carrying it on is a really a good feeling.
Speaker 2: What's it been like to carry on some of his legacy for you?
Speaker 1: When I'm doing this work, I feel like I'm kind of embodying a part of him that still exists a lot of the replies that I send to people are based on interactions that he's had with them in the past. You know, I use his email accounts, so I'm looking at like, what's the history with this person? What would John have said about this particular difficult thing that's appearing. But then I think there's also an element of is this what's required in the world because things have changed, Like he wasn't here through COVID and the kind of political and rest that's happening across the world at the moment. You know, would this have made a difference to the decisions that he would have made.
Speaker 2: You've described John as a seeker, and you've also described him as someone who felt a greater calling to leave a big job to take on what to him was a more important job. And you've also described him in this shade of almost like naughtiness, this fun and this convivial person. Can you describe who John was to you and who he was in the family.
Speaker 1: He would sit up for hours having one on one conversations with somebody about his view on what they were telling him about and provide some quae kind of judgmental views sometimes, but I think, you know, it kind of came from a place of wisdom and experience, And I think there are some people who just have this kind of special quality about them that you can't necessarily describe, but it's kind of like a presence and a thoughtfulness that you're just kind of born with.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: In addition to that, he was also like incredibly silly and a joker, and you know, just made people laugh and said daft things a lot. He was a very loving son, or was very good at listening. If you wanted to think something over it was a good person to phone and and say this is happening, what you think? And just being around him was just brilliant. He was a great dad as well, a really good dad.
Speaker 2: Was he an optimist? No? In your minds, what is the sort of ultimate goal for this movement? And would even consider it a movement?
Speaker 1: We describe it as a death cafe movement. I think that it's taken off so much that describing it as something less would kind of be indervaluing it. And it's made quite a significant change. You know. We have people who are quite prevalent in the death and dying industry who've said how influential John and death Cafe has been to them.
Speaker 2: I was doing some reporting in San Francisco, which is obviously a land now of bitcoin and billionaires and people who have sort of worked around certain rules to their advantage. And I think that in Silicon Valley there are these real deep philosophical questions about death, but it's turned from what might have been about accepting death to not accept it. Death right like that you should be prolonging your life as long as possible. That there are ways to upload your consciousness. That we think talking about death gives our life meaning, when in fact that's just because that was the limit that we previously had. And I'm curious, like, one, have you encounter these spaces which seem to be growing in the US, And two, like, what do you think about that counter weight to what I think is like the really beautiful work you're doing at Death Cafe.
Speaker 1: So there's there's people like Brian Johnson, right, who are trying to live for as long as possible, and they're dedicating their life to extension of their physiological abilities. I can kind of see the appeal of doing that. You know, if you're enjoying your life and you want to make the most of it, you want to try and get as much as you can. But then you're also downplaying every single other element of your existence for the pursuit of elongation, which kind of seems a bit reductive, I suppose. So are we focusing so much on life extension to the point where we can't actually focus on the interactions that we have every day with our families and the people we work with and the people that we see in the street, You know, are those maybe the more important parts of our existence. There's an interesting Buddhist lesson about this bowl of ice cream. You're really craving this like beautiful bowl of ice cream. You start eating it and you're like, oh, this is fantastic. It's huge, and you keep on eating it, and then about halfway through you're thinking, oh, this is the worst thing I've ever done. You know, I feel terrible. I'm sick and bloated, my face is sticky, and you know, you think that this ice cream is going to be everything you ever wanted, and it turns out that actually it's not, because never ending ice cream is never going to be everything that you want it to be.
Speaker 4: I really have no desire to live forever. I'm glad that my life is finite, and as I get older, older and my body becomes less comfortable place to be in, it's only going to get worse. I don't relish the idea of living forever.
Speaker 1: There's a bit of give and take with the whole thing, Like we want to be living the longest life possible in the best health that we can achieve, and so I can understand people making these steps to make their bodies a little bit more sustainable, So you might start vitamins and supplements and you might think, oh, I know that my joints are going to get worse if I don't exercise, so I'm going to do that. And you integrate these things into your life because you know it's going to bring you an element of happiness. You're going to be around your loved ones for longer. So it's a bit of a balance. You know, John was far too young for a person to lose their life. And yes, you can achieve a lot, and you can have an incredibly meaningful existence, but death is terrible at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Like for the people that are left it's terrible.
Speaker 1: I think there's a don't you know, there's the experience of the person themselves goes through when they're dying. It's an incredibly painful experience. They have to deal with the emotions with their family members as well. So I don't think it's just the people that are left behind. And I suppose when you work with death and dying in the way that we do, you think about death in quite a different way, and you know you've got to start somewhere, right. You can do nothing, or you can try to change the kind of general populace from the ground up. And if you can just make these small moments in people's lives a little bit better or a little bit more thoughtful, if that's the best you're going to do, at least you've done something.
Speaker 2: As we've wrapped up our conversation, my mind kept going back to the semester I spend to bed and the sky burials I'd witnessed there this ritual that reminds mourners of the impermanence of life. Knowing that John was a devoted Buddhist, I wondered if at the core, death cafes perform a similar rule.
Speaker 3: What is your goal for.
Speaker 2: Someone who comes to a death cafe beyond sort of walking out and feeling lighter, Like, do you think they should all wake up every morning and consider the fact that they might die today or that their life is impermanent.
Speaker 1: I think knowing that it's had the tiniest impact on someone's life, that they kind of that they do think about death and dying. For me, it's made my interactions with people much more meaningful because I think, is this the last time that this person is ever going to speak to anybody else? And If that's the case, is that the kind of taste in your mouth that you want to leave them with?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening. That is it for the bonus episodes of this season of Skyline Drive. I would like to thank Jules Barski and Susan Barski Reid for taking the time to share their story and John's. If you'd like to learn more about the death Cafe movement, please go to Deathcafe dot com. There might be one near you, and if not, maybe you'd like to start one. We'll also put a link in the show notes. If you liked this series, please please tell a friend and it really does help if you rate and review, so of course we would be appreciative for that too. And if you didn't know already, making this show has been such a joy.
Speaker 3: I've loved getting to learn and share with all of you.
Speaker 2: So if you want to ask a question, share a story, or just get in touch, do not hesitate to reach out. You can reach me at insta at M particular and hopefully we'll get to do a season three in the not so distant This interview was produced by the wonderful Lizzie Jacobs. Additional production and research by Mary Philip Sandy. Thanks as always to our editor Mark Latto, who told me the series was going to be about depth before I was ready to admit it. This episode was mixed by my good pal Dylan Fagan, who's over there in the booth eating a giant slice of cake. Thank you so much for listening.