Speaker 1: Man, what's hand him?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: You got Marshaw Basemall Lynch.
Speaker 3: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politics.
Speaker 1: You're known to be you're known.
Speaker 2: To be.
Speaker 4: Well, Marshaun, I just Gavin. It was funny.
Speaker 2: I uh, the last couple of days on the heels of our NAL talk, I was talking to some people and the new scam right now is going on is these guys, these companies are going after these high school and college kids and they're going in with, you know, saying, here, give us eighteen to twenty percent of your future earnings for lifetime, okay, future earnings for now, depending on where they're at.
Speaker 4: If it's like a five star high school kid or four.
Speaker 1: Stars, why do that even sound appealing?
Speaker 4: We'll be able telling you.
Speaker 2: So you're so a lot of the companies are going to a kid, let's say a junior in high school who's a four star player, and they're saying, here's seven hundred fift thousand dollars. Okay, but so take the money, and then we're going to take eighteen percent of your future NFL, NBA baseball earnings, whatever it may be. And so you know, if the guy doesn't make it, the guy gets to keep seven to fifty. But these guys now are a lot of them are making it, and so now they're giving away eighteen percent off the gross every single year to these companies.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you, the only thing gross about it is that it's legal. That should not even be legal. They've been By the way, there's versions of that DOUG that are already happening, with people paying for your college education so that I'll pay for all your tuition if you give me a percentage of your income going for it, and they started to monetize you get these little venture capital funds that have been put together to take advantage of it. I think it should be flat out illegal. No one in their right mind would do that.
Speaker 1: See, that's why you need it, That's why I would.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: Fuck it's fucked up, because it's like you throw seven hundred and fifty in front the motherfucker who ain't never seen.
Speaker 1: A dollar is up.
Speaker 5: Everything you said after seven fifty don't even all you heard was seven fifty, and then everything else is like well, wow, wow, wow. I'm Charlie Brown on that motherfucker. I don't hear none of that ship. But the thing is, that's where the where we was talking about, that's where the education and all that shit come from.
Speaker 1: Like is lacking. It's lacking, Doug, if you would have.
Speaker 5: Told you the eighteen percent, probably would have popped show as no.
Speaker 2: But but this is this is I don't know that name, marsh Oh, I know, but there but there's a there's an NBA, there's a there's a Major League Baseball All star from Venezuela who at fourteen years old was offered the same thing. And this guy just signed a three hundred million dollar contract and and all the and he fired the agents and da DA. But all these gangs and these people associated with this group in Venezuela or or uh you know, somewhere down there are.
Speaker 4: After this guy.
Speaker 2: And this guy's had like the death threats and curity and they're they're they're saying, no, this is legit, rock solid deal.
Speaker 4: They're coming after this guy.
Speaker 1: Is that who they're looking for? And in Denver?
Speaker 4: I think so, yeah, they looking for him.
Speaker 1: That's the dude that they looking for in Denver.
Speaker 4: In the apartment complex.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's but they be somewhere.
Speaker 1: So that's the Venezuela's coming over there. What the all right? Well that's deep.
Speaker 3: By the way, Hey, you guys that fly around in these fancy private planes, you'll appreciate this. The president of Venezuela's playing today was taken by the United States government. It was the Dominican Republic, and we seized President Meduro's plane and we brought it to Miami. Uh, and we've taken his asset. It's literally the president.
Speaker 1: He was trying to get over here.
Speaker 5: Any he doesn't housing feeding oh man.
Speaker 1: Oh no.
Speaker 3: This is the president, by the way, who just quote unquote won his re election under dubious and questionable circumstances. But let me talk about dubious and questionable. It should be illegal to loan sharks, Doug. This is BS, some fourteen year old kids selling his soul to the future. I mean, that's flat out that's that is correct.
Speaker 5: It sounds like they're taking the record company. The record company h approach to it them three sixty deals, That's what it sounded like to me.
Speaker 1: But fuck no, you don't know, man, motherfucker. And it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Because at a at a man at a fucking uh pivotal point right now, like with all of this information that's just being overloaded to your phone, to your devices, everything is like, okay, you you would think that more motherfuckers would have the understanding of what the fuck is going on, But it's like the more information that's out there that should just get clutter and motherfuckers keep coming up with fucking.
Speaker 1: Silly ass But here's what they're sold, motherfuckers.
Speaker 4: Bro here's what they're saying.
Speaker 2: They're making these churches up, Gavin, and they're saying, Okay, if we give a fourteen year old seven and fifty gram at ten percent interest for thirty forty years, here's the here's the spreadshirt, the bell cow of of if he doesn't do it versus he does it right now, that's the very thing goes right correct. If the market goes ten percent and everything goes, it goes according to plan, but rarely it does, as we know, you know, but at some point you're gonna if it all goes well, you clipse those earnings and now you pay these people off and you're still in the whole eighteen twenty percent at you know, mamagine morre Sean being in a heyday of your career and you have ten twelve years left in your career and you're right in eighteen twenty percent. Plus you're paying your agent fee plus you got your financial advisor fee, plus you've got maybe a business manager fee.
Speaker 4: Now you're in the whole.
Speaker 2: You know, shit, you know, thirty five, thirty six percent before you even get your taxes.
Speaker 4: It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: You ain't even talked on your taxas.
Speaker 4: No, it's not a good thing.
Speaker 5: One has Ooh shit, I don't know, man, it's some crazy shit.
Speaker 1: But god damn, even though.
Speaker 5: You yeah, it's a sick ass time right now, it's a sick ass time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Though this stuff's been going on a long time.
Speaker 1: It's just not being regulated.
Speaker 3: But people are going to college kids saying we'll pay their doing for college to paint off the high cost of tuition. I mean, but you've seen this for decades and decades. People have been trying to do contracts as in Marshawn. You're spot on in the music industry, so there's some precedent. But look, when you're fourteen years old, you're sixteen years old, you're eighteen years old, you're a kid. It goes back to what Marshawn was saying, no financial literacy, no capacity to have any independent analysis. You're desperate, you forget. I mean, I love what you said, Marshaun. It after here seven and fifty thousand, you didn't hear a damn thing. It was all garbled. After that, it was all blah blah, blah blah blah. You just say, nobody where to sign it. I don't think that's right, man, That ain't right. You've got to regulate that, and we're not regulating that. And now you've got a guys not only not regulating that. Your point is got folks try to take his life.
Speaker 2: Well, So, Gavin Marshawn, I'm not sure if you know the new rules, but it just got to pass next August to twenty five. The two prominent divisions SEC and the Big ten okay, with the revenue sharing, are going to have I think it's thirty three million dollars per athletic department. So put that in perspective, each one of those football programs will have about twenty four million dollars okay, that they'll have to give every single year to the football team. So twenty four million dollars will go now to the one hundred players on.
Speaker 1: Michigan athletic department.
Speaker 2: No, well, the athletic department gets x amount, but then they're going to give the football the ball of it, and then basketball second, and then obviously baseball and other sports on top of that, but football get the ball of it. So now these NFL's college teams are hiring assistant gms that were in the NFL to be their gms in college to effectively run the salary cap for these colleges.
Speaker 5: And now, I mean, if you think about it, you will see college as like it's like like the D League for you know, basketball, right and football? But I mean, how how is that ship work? Like with baseball because they you come straight out of uh high school and go to all those feeder school not feeder schools, but feeder programs for uh uh for baseball and ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got a double A yeah all of that right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they still mean obviously college ball, same thing, but it's primarily basketball and football, the two big revenue generating sports. It's always where the revenue is. And but Doug's point is spot on, and I mean, Doug, this whole new industry, this is the only reinforcement we were talking about with coach last week. We gotta we gotta nip this in the butt as well. This has gotta be I keep saying, sound like the politicians. We need to regulate this, need to regulate that. But this whole system has got to be tamed because you're now talking about salary cap experts coming in from the NFL and now trying to mirror that crazy.
Speaker 2: Well also too, there's no more walk ons now. So for example, in football mar Show member Cal, you have twenty walk ons. The walk ons now eliminated, So now there's one hundred players in the team. All one hundred players get full of scholarships. There's no more walk on. So if you're a guy that you know has got a you know, a good player wants to go to Cal, wants to go somewhere, but it's just not good enough. Normally there'll be fifteen twenty walk ons on the team. They're not allowing walk ons.
Speaker 1: Anymore, so they're going to have to take the JC route.
Speaker 4: You gotta go JC or a smaller school.
Speaker 2: But you can't if your dream is to be rudy like a notre name and walked on and fought on to try to walk on the team.
Speaker 4: There's no more Rudies next August. That's done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, because shit, when you open, when you can go on that portal and shit, go get some of the cream of the crop. It's like, shit, you gotta make space for that too, Like oh shit, it's like the free agency and that motherfucker.
Speaker 3: It is like for you, by the way, Marshall, we never got clarity. I mean you, I mean, you missed all this, but no, bs, I mean how you would have fared if you had nil at Cal?
Speaker 1: And I honestly, yeah, what happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, what if if you were running around with a million bucks in your pocket as a as a sophomore at CAL? The hell would have happened to you?
Speaker 5: I don't just realistically, I don't think that would have been a good situation for me. Yeah, I mean, considering my background and where I was at in life right then and there school was a was secondary and then I mean, you know, the ability that I had, it was I mean, I guess at that time it's like you look at it as like top tier and you know what I mean, considering the money that they're giving out to individuals and you know, all the ship is just like you put some money in my pocket at that point in time, like ooh, I don't, I don't, I don't know, I don't. I don't know if we're sitting here having this conversation today. But then you know when we had had coach on the other day and you know he was talking about the ni L this that the third like I don't know about that. I think you dropped the ball there and blah blah blah, like motherfucker you. The reason why we got you was in I EL before n I L. Motherfucker you forgot you had a goddamnn on your team who had a god damn that motherfucker was already in the league before he even.
Speaker 4: Got not just Reggie Matt Lion.
Speaker 3: Like Jared Jesus, a bunch of them, by the way, my shot, did you? I mean, I mean you must have. There must have been guys. I mean they talk about the party. There was none of that stuff like saying, hey man, you need a car taking care of you, worry about it later.
Speaker 5: See, man, there was some shit like this, right I had you know, I have some family, I mean because I was at home as well. Though you feel me so it's a little different. So yeah, I mean I had some family members who would look out for me and shit like I remember my uh one of my uh my cousins had let me drive his car and you feel me. It was a seven fifty BMW And by the way, I hate the motherfuckers too, but I was. I was clean as fuck on that motherfucker. I'm sliding that bitch doing hell shit. I came up to park at practice and shit, go to work, getting ready to leave, and Teddy hit me like, hey, come in my office, Like, man, who fucking car is that? Like this is my cousin's man giving him that fucking car.
Speaker 1: Back right now?
Speaker 5: Like what the fuck you Like, man, why I gotta give him the car back? Like, man, you're not about to get us in trouble with us, so you feel me. He was on some Nah, we ain't gonna be playing that. And then you know, I was here, you know, all this shit when I went to API to go train like you know, motherfucker, Like yeah, I was getting you know what I mean, brown paper bag money from Yeah, I mean, motherfucker, just walk up, shake my hand and you know what I mean? Fifteen twenty bands you know what I mean, I'm talking about some man don't know. We couldn't even get no guy damn free meal out the motherfuckers up there. Like you know, Cal was a little different, like sports wasn't a big you know, I mean part of the culture there. Like we kind of changed Cal culture when it came to that, like uh considered you know, from a rod because I think the year before that they had just beat sc at Cal, so they just got on the map for like, okay, yeah, these boys could actually play type shit. Then you know, you start getting a little buzz. Now you got little runners and agents running around that motherfucker you know you got a ride up there now, you know what I mean. Motherfuckers is looking around jj uh cross a couple of players who actually was doing some shit. But realistically, man, we wouldn't you feel me, We was doing some other ship to try to get some money, Like I mean, it wasn't no no oh yeah you you the guy on campus, so motherfucker gonna take care of you type ship. Hell no, they would come to you like did you go to study hall. Hey, we didn't get you.
Speaker 1: We didn't. We didn't see you in class the other day. You feel me.
Speaker 5: That was kind of hey, you missed class that you got a six thirty, gotta come up here and run because you miss class? Like what the fuck? Man, I ain't worried about molass bro. I'm trying to get to this buttman. So it was a little different. And I don't know if I don't know if.
Speaker 1: Cale had the.
Speaker 2: Like the.
Speaker 5: Power behind you know, pushing individuals. You know what I mean to to bring that spotlight to our school for sports, cause you gotta remember, like motherfucker got Hella Nobel Peace Prize winners. About that motherfucker, Like you know, that's an education, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: First, like they trus an athlete and the guy.
Speaker 4: But in the South, there's there's a lot of agents.
Speaker 2: In the West Coast, there's not that many agents out there, so people could come in. But it's not easy getting to Berkeley. It's not like you're pulling up it, you know some of the other schools. Yeah, USC were get everybody in LA. Not easy getting up to the football program or finding these guys either a cow.
Speaker 1: Well, they wasn't really worried about it. I had I had to do.
Speaker 5: Like my first encounter with a uh with a runner like you feel me. Like I said, I was in a different mindset. I didn't have you know, I didn't have nobody telling me like, oh yeah, this is the process, this is what they do, because it wasn't like individuals who make it out of cal come back and really just giving game and ism to individuals about what the fuck going on and what that process looked like. And then you got for me, it was JJ and a Rod who just you know, went through the process, but you know they was on the ship and it was new for them too. So I was walking the class and I just you feel me out headphones on, you know what I mean, walking through campus.
Speaker 1: And I'm feeling little what the fuck is on my shieling? Take my headphone off the fuck.
Speaker 5: And I kind of look, hey, more shines in the bushes, like bro, what the fuck you doing in the bushes? Like, hey man, I work with us so and so you know what I mean, Uh, we want to holler at you, like don't come running up on me about the bushes, bru talking about you want to holler at me? Like you man, I beat your ass around here, like the fuck won't you? So it threw me off, like you feel me, I'll get up to the camp I mean to the to the facility, and now you know, I play with two of my cousins up there, so I tell them like, hey, feil Bro Rojo Bro just bounced out on me in the bushes.
Speaker 1: Immediately, I mean, what is that? What's at it?
Speaker 5: We're finna get on like nah, he said he was a runner. Now they into all of the sports this like they know that talk and all that year talking about here runner, like off real here an agent?
Speaker 1: What company you with the wop? I'm like, hold on, man, y'all know y'all switched up real quick, like nah, fool, that's how you them, the motherfuckers who run the money in for the that's how they get you do. We got some bread on him. Now the whole mindset switched like, oh you think he got a bag on him, But come on, let's go check it back out, you.
Speaker 5: Feel me, We get back down here. That boy ain't nowhere to be found.
Speaker 1: But it was good that.
Speaker 5: He wasn't there, because shit, you feel me, we probably would have had a little phone bruh. That was like the mindset like this ship is all know what's going on is happening fast, like hold on, watch out, this just ran up on me. But I don't know, man, now, it's just like it it's so wide open, man. And the only thing that I continue to stress, yeah, I mean to all of these kids, especially because you know, we do some of the nil deals for for cal we got a couple a couple of college students that we represent with you know, helping them out and shit. And the biggest thing to me is like I just want to keep on pushing like education and education and education and.
Speaker 2: Education, financial literacy, education literally to what.
Speaker 5: That means for them. But it's more so just like don't don't don't. Yeah, all of that shit sounds sweet, but all of that shit come with a price tag though, And it's like that price tag that they that they throw at you, that seven fifty, you know, I mean, compared to where you can be like you know what I mean, slow progress you feel me though, for me has been the.
Speaker 1: Best, Like you know what I mean. I ain't never been one to just jump at.
Speaker 5: The the money, you know, I mean, it's got to make sense for me. It's got to make you know, I mean, I gotta make sure it's gonna benefit not only me, but somebody else, and use somebody else, come from my family or some like.
Speaker 3: By the way, there reminds me Doug that all said, if you want to eat more, eat less so you can live.
Speaker 4: Longer another marshaw.
Speaker 3: Guys, these guys know, but they try to get.
Speaker 4: Get what they one more time.
Speaker 3: If you want to eat more, eat less so you can live longer, meaning just don't be greedy, man, don't just don't try to take everything all in the moment, one big gulf, one big bite. Just pace yourself. And that's what financial literacy and investment is all about. That's what That's what financial literacy is all about. That's what common sense, that's what experience ultimately is all about. But it's hard to hard to have that when you're sixteen, seventeen years old. One thing, though, I will say, go cow, I appreciate, I appreciate Marshaan saying student athlete. I don't think they're going to hear.
Speaker 4: Those words anyway.
Speaker 1: It ain't student.
Speaker 3: Damn athlete anymore. But those are the good old days.
Speaker 5: Book The Bunk Pup