Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where sometimes we get stuck inside of pitching cages. I'm Greg Rosenthal from my house, but Jordan Rodriguez at the Rams facility and yeah, she's literally taping this inside of a pitching cage and her her laptop is set up on what they would call a hit pad.
Speaker 2: I guess that the player is running through. So thank you for playing hurt today, Jordan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the scent of sweat is just oozing upward from the from the hit pads today. You know, football is back.
Speaker 2: It is very back.
Speaker 1: And yeah, if you're watching on YouTube, you can see the setup that Jordan beautiful picture.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, today's show a little different.
Speaker 1: I was at Chargers camp earlier, and we're going to listen to some conversations I had and some thoughts at Chargers camp later. But we're going to start the show with just a little bit of news, and then Jordan and I decided to talk about some teams that haven't been talked enough about on this show. So we're going to try to get to a lot of stuff. And that's why I'm not going to mess around with the chit chat. Jordan, I apologize. Let's do some news there's a couple items here on Monday before we get to those teams we haven't talked about enough. We've talked plenty about the Texans, and they learned today that their defensive tackle that they signed in the offseason, Denico Autry, suspended for six games for violating the pe D policy at the NFL. And it's a shame, really good player, thirty four years old and most importantly a key member of that defensive line who I think was going to play a ton of snaps for.
Speaker 3: Them, fifty nine sacks in his last ten seasons, eleven and a half in twenty twenty three in Tennessee. He was kind of one of those like guys who you could tell was going to have a key role here. So, yeah, you hate to see that, hate to see that. First time he can come back is October twentieth against Green Bay.
Speaker 1: This is one of those suspensions though, and this happens later in Guy's career that I always think you're going to get a great version of him when he comes back. So it's a shame at a position where yeah, they signed fully fought to Kassi, they have him, settle Mario Edwards. They're thin there but a thirty four year old getting the first six games of the season off like isn't the worst thing. And yeah, he's one of those you know, if you know ball, you know Diniko Atri. He's been a great player and he used to be on the Colts. And now the Colts unfortunately got some bad news. They lost Samson Ebacom for the season. He tore his achilles. I hate that we're always leading the show with news like this, but that it's the biggest news this time of year.
Speaker 2: Really good pass rusher.
Speaker 1: You saw him when he was with the Rams Jordan, and that's a big loss for the Colts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was used in the changeup package in La and then into say in Francisco. He really blossomed when he was up with the forty nine ers. You know, he's a great dude, a great player. They're really I know, I join you, Greg and being really excited to see what this Colt's front line is going to do this year. Obviously that's a huge loss and Layatu Latu is gonna probably get a little bit more juice needs more pop early on without somebody like Sampson who could mix it up for them in terms of that speedball, that speed rush combined with some of the power they already have.
Speaker 1: I love Layatu Latu coming into the draft. He was the first defensive player taking right, which is which is wild, and I thought he deserved it to be and it was a surprise that it happened that way. Yeah, we haven't talked a ton about the Colts defense at least, and the defensive line I thought had an argument for the deepest in the NFL. Not as good on the top end as like the Cowboys, certainly, but Quitty pay A Dingbo who's coming off a nice season, laat Tou Latu, and now you lose Ebcon who's coming off a career year. Ten tackles for last nine and a half sacks was top fifteen PFF edge player. That's wild, the top thirty and win rate really solid. They have another guy, Taekwon Lewis, So I guess the positive spin is that was a position they could afford to lose someone, but you hate to see it, and that defense, to me, has a chance. Their front to be really exciting, make Gus Bradley look great there and be a playoff team. Finally, we wrap up the news Taylor Decker signed a new contract with the Lions. I think it was thirty one point eight million dollars guaranteed three for sixty seems like a bargain. And again they're investing in the trenches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty million a year for your guard, like one of your excuse me, one of your top players on the offensive line. And I think I say guard because I'm looking at this list of their top five top paid players on this team. Jared Goff obviously is number one. Decker is number two, and a little bit of a higher number two at this point. So kicking out starting on the outside and then coming in. Frank Gragnow is also these number three. Aiden Hutchinson sneaky number four there, but that's that rookie deal kind of popping in there. And then Piney Sewell, who they took care of earlier this season. What I love about this Lions team and how they're built, among many things, is they're telling you who the f they are. I mean, they're going to run the ball at you, They're going to run play action. They're going to have a couple of really great skill players and a quarterback who can get the ball to them, and they're going to be physically dominant upfront. So now what they all do because they have so much money tied up, you know, rightfully, so when you look at the caliber of these offensive linemen and skill players as well, and I'm on ross a Brown, Now, what they're going to do is walk that tight rope of finding and identifying supplemental players in the middle to later rounds of the draft that will stay cheap for them for long enough to maximize this contention window. So this is going to be fun. I think the I love this for the Lions because they, like I said, they're showing you exactly who the f they are with this, with.
Speaker 1: This, with all these sign it reminds me a little bit of the Eagles, who you know, I thought of as one of the most analytically minded teams and they are. And I think what the numbers say is invest in the players who weigh the most. And they've always paid their linemen a ton on both sides of the ball, and it's worked out for them. It's going to work out for the Lions. Shout out to Bob Quinn, the general manager of the Lions. In twenty sixteen, I was rudely googling that as you were talking. So he's the one who drafted Taylor Decker back in the day. And it's always a reminder tackle more than any position in the NFL. Just be patient because at first people really weren't that into Taylor Decker and he's had a really good career. And I think that's smart what you said about the Lions. The Lions could almost fit into this segment. I weirdly, I don't think we've talked a lot about the Lions this year because it's like, oh, they're all back and now, Like I think they have the best team in the NFL if you had to make a team full of guys signed through twenty twenty seven or twenty eight, like they have the most great guys now signed through twenty seven or twenty eight. But we haven't talked a lot about just like this team. But I guess before we jump in, you got any Lions pop. You just can't stop smiling today.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy I'm at football, you.
Speaker 2: Are at the facility. It gave me some juice, I gotta say.
Speaker 1: And we'll get to the Chargers later to be on a football field to hear Jim Harball like yelling at his players. Yes, it did give me a beautiful football is back feeling.
Speaker 2: What do you got for the Lions for me?
Speaker 3: Okay, I do have one more thing for the Lions for you, because again, I love how this team is built. I love how they've gone about like really identifying young players who can compliment stars that they now have shown us they clearly intended to pay. That's like I said, that's a tight rope walk, and you want everyone to stay healthy and hitting on those supplementary players, your stars, you expect your stars who you did sign. I think most of them in this case can do this lift up those supplementary players in order to really have a cohesive product. So it's like you want the guys you pay to raise the floor of everybody else and help the young guys develop, and you want that floor to get higher and higher because everybody's developing because of the stars that you do pay, pending everybody stays healthy. I will say I heard a scout one time say this to me, and I will never forget it. It makes it makes sense and also it doesn't, which is the scouting way. Let's see it says, uh, investing dollars into pounds makes sense there we go, right, I'm like, wow, you really you really thought you had something.
Speaker 1: There, little Corney, little footballly. But you know, this is this is the league. Every team has to have a slogan. I forget whose slogan it is this year, it's resilience, and it's like, okay, that's not a slogan.
Speaker 3: I got to tell you. I'm out here at RAMS. I know you'll be out here in a couple of days. Greg. You know, you guys successfully and beautifully shamed Sean McVay into shortening the language on his T shirts. We'll get to that a little bit later this week. Oh that was some of the funniest, the funniest stuff ever last year, and you guys really carried it in a great way. So I am. I'm happy to report on the ground.
Speaker 4: Good to know.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to the new slogans. But yeah, they needed an editor in the worst way. I think one of the the one quick thing on the Lions is really on the defense, the defensive line. That's where I have questions. I actually am really confident in what they did in the secondary and bringing it like Brian branch is playing nickel. By the way, I mean, last year he played nickel. This year he looks like a full time safety, which is different, like it kind.
Speaker 3: Of radar safety. They can move him.
Speaker 1: Around, yeah, but I don't even think from the sound of it, I don't think they're going to move him too much. They're going to get him on the field even more and have him play safety, and I'm sure he'll be in the slot sometimes, but they're trying to fill that position separately, and they feel like they have the depth now to do it now that they brought in Carlton Davis. I think Emmanuel Moseley might be their slot corner. Terry On Arnold is there as the other starter, and so I'm excited about that. The one thing I'd be worried about is the defense of Marcus Davenport and DJ Reader are two really important players for them, and then Levi on Wzike, who's starting right now for them. In practice, those three players to me have very high ceilings and very low floors in terms of talent and mostly just availability for all three Readers coming off a thigh, you know, another torn quad rather Davenport's never on the field, ow wuz Rikes had injuries, and so those are three guys they're counting on. They've invested a lot in the defensive line and it hasn't always paid off that well except for Hutchinson. So if you're looking for, you know, something to just watch and camp, and it's those guys and their health because Davenport and Reader especially are.
Speaker 2: Coming off injuries. All right, let's get let's get into our segment.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: I want to talk teams. Oh, you have four cards. They're beautiful NFL Daily Note cards. I do love that logo. Like, I'm very self critical and there are many things with the launch of this show that I want to just get better and better at.
Speaker 3: Same my rambling, Yeah, which is why we have the cards.
Speaker 1: But the cards, I'm happy with the cards in the logo, I'm really into.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My son said I'm getting Walker's like, oh, you're.
Speaker 1: Getting cooked on uh on the five star one stars on iTunes. I was like, oh really, He's like, yeah, there, some of them aren't happy. So if you're listening to this show, it means you you do like it. Give me some five stars in some reviews. It does help with with the ratings. I would appreciate that. I know people understandably we're not happy with the transition, but we're trying to make it work for you. And so yeah, I was like, Walker, don't don't tell me that and put in a five star review.
Speaker 3: Think Greg's in his head. Don't get Greg in his head. We need them, we need them loose, we need them loose and cooking.
Speaker 2: No, I was, I just I was like, Okay, that's that's the way I find out. You throw out.
Speaker 1: Now, you throw out the card you want to you think is the most interesting. Or pick the second one from the left if you really want me to.
Speaker 3: The second one from the left.
Speaker 2: Just pick the one you like the best.
Speaker 3: Come on, Jordan, second from the left, Well, I don't like this one the best.
Speaker 2: Just to pick this is this is entertainment.
Speaker 5: No one would know.
Speaker 2: Just just pick it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, second card from the left. Now I'm starting with the Jets.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow. I do think the Jets not talked about team is.
Speaker 3: You know what, we haven't really talked about the Jets very much. And I think some people it's because I think rightfully so, after the fiasco that was last year for this team, you know, one injury away from complete catastrophe. I do think that that's part of the reason it's like, you know, once bitten twice shy kind of a thing with this team in some of the buzz. I mean, I've heard other people say this. I'm not saying anything new. This is a super Bowl team. If Aaron Rodgers stays healthy, this is a super Bowl contending team. I firmly believe that they have one of the best defenses in the league. If Aaron Rodgers even looks like eighty nine percent eighty seven percent, eighty five, eighty percent of Aaron Rodgers of you or like, I really do think that this team has some special in them. That's That's where I'll start, because I know you have thoughts on this.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have talked a little bit about Rogers, but I've tried to stay away from it. But you're right in terms of looking looking at the depth chart and really breaking into what team they're going to be, haven't as much. Here's one thing I'd push back on slightly. They neither offensive line to stay healthy. And I guess if I had a question about the team any position group, it might actually be their defensive line because Hasan Redick's not there right now, and I'm not I'm not assuming that.
Speaker 2: That's gonna all work out.
Speaker 1: And even if it does, okay, you're Quentin Williams is there, but you're counting on Jermaine Johnson to maybe make a big leap, will McDonald to make an even bigger leap. Javon Kinlaw was a little bit of a disappointment in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Those guys all have big roles.
Speaker 1: So when I look at the defense, you're saying best defense in the league, look at as good as any team in the league. Their linebackers and the secondary as good as any defensive line. There is a bad case scenario there.
Speaker 4: What do you Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think that's a fair point. However, as you'll note in bullet point number three, I came ready, I'm juice, it's football man. I got this, okay. So I do agree with you in that that's a concern. I don't think they're necessarily quite it. They have to get this hasd Redic deal done. They just have to. I mean, you cannot, not only for logistical reasons and production reasons, but it's just it's flat out embarrassing if you trade for the guy and he's not showing up to camp, and I mean you have to make this happen. He could be very productive along this front. Quinn Williams is one of my favorite players to watch in the NFL. He's just a destructive force of nature and just a delightful human as well, like just a wonderful guy. And so I really appreciate the jextaposition the duality of man if you will, on that front. But I also think that this we've watched since twenty eighteen. Robert Sala, Yes, he's often been defined by the personality of his fronts, but particularly over the last couple of years with the Jets, even though the front is one hundred percent should be and has been the heartbeat of this team in so many ways. You actually watch some of the coverages that he's leaned on. He's one of the few people, in fact, maybe the only one who has successful fully and consistently taken that old Seattle system and married it with some of these new quarters concepts that we're seeing. Robert Salla plays in the most quarters are the second most quarters of any coach in the league, and for the listener, at home quarters popularized heavily by the modern iterations of Vic Fangio system, it basically builds a box over the defense, and it often looks like man coverage. It can be man coverage, but it can also be a match zone which gets really sticky over the various layers that receivers are building with their routes. And so when you can play like this with bona fide dudes in your secondary to the side, now the Aide SaaS Gardner, Michael Carter, they all are allowing completion percentages of under sixty percent according to Pro Football Focus. That is also while playing one of the most difficult and aggressive coverages you possibly can. I say all this to say, yes, the pass rush does help with that, But I do say all this to say, can we start talking about how the secondary, the defensive backfield is becoming a core identity of this Robert solid defense, of this Jets defense to the point where you can even start thinking about some of those older Fangio concepts. And he didn't start them, but they were sort of defined by coverage dictates front in some ways. And I remember that very very well when I first started learning this defense back in twenty twenty, and I think that is something to watch, especially when you do have bona fide stars at every key cornerback, defensive back position on this Jets defense, and I think, like I said, I think they're going to be badass.
Speaker 1: You you convinced me that is maybe the best quarterback trio in the league. I think because of the continuity and the intelligence and that Sauce Gardner can go to another level, which is scary. Like a lot of teams, I think if you take out you know, some of these starters, they're a little thinner. But when when I look at the Jets, and that's the only holes that you can pit poke, like whenever I'm doing that. That's with Super Bowl contenders, where it's like, well they are one injury away from pretty questionable cornerbacks, but like if that's the best you can do. Their safeties this year, Tony Adams, who has been there, was an undrafted free agent I believe, who's played well for them. And then you got Chuck Clark or Ashton Davis. That's one spot. But they're so good at hiding guys. And yeah, the linebackers Moseley and Quincy Williams was a pickup.
Speaker 2: They're just they're great.
Speaker 1: I mean, Salad has to get his flowers at the very top of the NFL, of defensive minds, because he's just done it, like he's just made it happen. And so that's why it always made sense to me actually to keep him going into this year despite all the termoil. Right, let's move on to another team. Haven't talked a lot of commanders. I'm going to just throw it out. We'll go commanders.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm worried. I'm worried about this team again. Line play both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: But I want to start positive and I want to think, like, what's the route here to being interesting and better than people expect. It's obviously Jayden Daniels starting quickly, and he might more than Caleb Williams and Drake may be positioned to start quickly just because of his age frankly, and just the different systems he's been in and everything you hear about him and everything you're already reading at Washington. He's very mature, I think, as a young man and as a football mind, and so you combine that.
Speaker 2: We'll see how Cliff adjusts to that.
Speaker 1: But it's someone that might be able to hit the ground running and we can get into what else is there on offense. But that has a real deal wide receiver one. So that's a nice start. I mentioned it on our fantasy show that I did with Pat Darerty, like the fact mclaurin's going like something insane like thirtieth out of what receivers, Like this is finally gonna be the McLaurin year because he doesn't have much competition and the situation's better like where he It would not surprise me if Terry McLaurin rips off a sixteen hundred yard season one of these years, and I think this might.
Speaker 5: Be that season.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He just does not slow down, He does not get worse. He is a joy to watch play. Some of the catches he makes defy the laws of physics quite frankly. And we're on the scene here, so I'm enjoying this mac truck backing up behind me. Excuse for everyone way at our first responders, high first responders. Okay, so how about that emergency action plan? Right?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: So what I kind of like about this? So I'm a big believer in Jade and Daniels. I'm an Arizona State graduate, very depressed since we lost him, and enjoyed watching him thrive and play in college football. I'm a big time Jada Daniels fan, but I also think that when you're getting someone ready to take the reins, I'm kind of in the camp of have someone else there who's experienced, who could kind of like like I kind of brought up, and I can fix him. I can fix him episode like having somebody who can install proof of concept without the quarterback feeling rush. Now, I'm not saying that Marcus Mariota is that guy.
Speaker 1: He can take in first. By the way, which is one of the more surprising aspects of training camp. I don't think that's gonna last long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think that'll last either, But I do like the fact that you're not necessarily thrown into it if you are a quarterback who you know. I think Jada and Daniels is going to be an outstanding pro, But I do think that there are some maybe some durability questions with his frame, some play style questions of you know, the contact that he is able to take on, and I just think you want to make sure you're being careful with all of those things, especially right out of the gate. So getting him an on ramp, I think that's what Marcus mariot is for him is the on ramp, and I like that.
Speaker 2: A regular season game.
Speaker 3: I think if you're really run heavy to start, and we'll see. Because I like you, I don't believe that this whole first team reps thing for Mariota. I don't think it last. I mean, Jaden is too electric of a player to to be behind long. All I'm saying, because we've got the entire month of August here, Greg, Like, all I'm saying is a light, a nice little on ramp into your first professional season. You see more and more franchises, more and more organizations trying that trying to walk that perfect balance between play the guy you believe in, play the guy you drafted this high, and also make sure he's not just like jumping in a frozen lake at the very beginning. We've seen this, We've seen this franchise, ruined quarterbacks, We've seen lots franchise I know, and that's what I'm saying. I know, and that's what I'm saying. I think they're trying to walk the line of make sure he's getting all of the steps in, make sure he's truly feeling comfortable with all of these things and his body is where it needs to be. Just do it the right way, and I think all of us want that. For Jada Daniels. We'd love to see him right out of the gate, the starter, you know, in week one, and I think he's got the weapons to do it. They might, They'll probably have a pretty solid run game. I'm worried about this offensive line as it seems to be the chance.
Speaker 1: Let me, let me mention the offensive one because at practice this week, really the only consistent starters are Tyler Biadis from Dallas. He's fine in Dallas, not like a plus starter, but they trust him. And then Sam caused me at right guard, and after that it's like injuries and rotating guys, and Cornelius Lucas is either left or right tackles, and you could say it's early in camp. We're trying to right find the right five. But the names there aren't inspiring. Andrew Wiley, who is with the Chiefs, it's not inspiring. And all the teams that are saying that are the teams with no talent, So like, yeah, you can say, like we're trying to find the right five, that's that's worrisome. The positive spin before we move on from the Commanders would be Johan Dotson has a has a step to go up, I still think, and so that's a good one too, I think. And then the back seven on defense with dan Quinn is gonna be interesting. You know, Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvu two really smart players you can do some things with. And the secondary has a lot of guys and give dan Quinn a lot of guys I think that have a chance to be a little underrated. Benjamin Saint just is solid. Mike Sanders still is one of my favorite players in the draft. A slot corner, Emmanuel Forbes put on fifteen pounds this offseason and yet still it's still like one hundred and seventy five. I mean, he is the skinniest cornerback in the league. But Michael Davis, like Jeremy Chins there, Derek Forrest. I'm just saying a lot of names, but they are names I think are capable. And dan Quinn showed in Dallas he is good at getting guys all in the same page right away, so I think they can get more out of the secondary. I think there could be a good wide receiver nomination this is not going to be a playoff team, but they could.
Speaker 2: Be more fun.
Speaker 3: Two very quick things I want to point out before we move on is a bunch of these players in the secondary, either from other teams or are smart, are versatile, and they hit really damn hard, like Frankie Luvu and Jeremy Chin. Watch out because they're going to take your head off. And I think that this is gonna this is old school, vintage dan Quinn, right, guys in a defensive backfield that can hit the brakes off a car, right, And I think that this is going to be really interesting to watch. I love Frankie Luvu's game. I think he's an outstanding player. Pairing him with Bobby Wagner, you'll notice that most of these position groups, barring the offensive line that we talked about and barring some other areas, they've really paired like a core culture guy, like they have a lot more work to do this Commander's franchise than just the product that they put on the field. You see Austin Eckler, you see Bobby Wagner, Marcus Mariota, guys, culture guys, core guys who can help dan Quinn and Adam Peters build what they want, and Adam Peters just went about gutting the entire front off. He made hires in the analytics department and also in his front office personnel from the Lions, the forty nine ers and the Ravens, And all I have on my notes for that is the word good.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's a little overlooked how much of a gutting happened here. Everyone is new on the roster in the organization. I know Deron Payne and Jonathan Allen. That is a great defensive tackle combination that is there. But other than that, Ron Rivera, who's gonna be working with us at a NFL network he announced on Monday. I heard he's asking about how he can get on a podcast. So maybe, well, I know you're you're you know him from your time, try to have him on his team is kind of gone and this is starting from scratch, and so there's just a lot to do there, a lot to do in this segment still, Jordan, teams we haven't talked about enough. And you know what's going to be sad is you have multiple note cards here and like, I think we only got time for one more team Okay, I'm gonna have to make it stinks to be the team that isn't talked about enough, that isn't going to be talked about in the teams that aren't talked enough.
Speaker 2: Segment that Man, I love it.
Speaker 3: It's so meta. Wait, I'm gonna make you pick because I've gotten no you pick, you pick, No, No, I'm holding the cards.
Speaker 2: Greg, pick a card which is more interesting.
Speaker 3: They're both very interesting.
Speaker 2: Just pick the bucks for for a specific I have a I have a specific reason.
Speaker 3: Let it be known, Raiders fans, this was Greg's choice. I want to talk about you know.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be at Raiders camp next week and we can spend some good quality time with the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When you see Greg blew that band, he didn't want to talk about you today.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Sean uh, the man at Chargers camp who said he was listing to NFL Daily on the way up, said, I Uh, he knew I was going to be there, and then kind of a little weird, but maybe a little weird, said he sort of staked out. He saw me going to the to the Porta Patti area, and I think they waited outside for me to to come come back out and say hi and say he was a fan. So that actually is I oh, I'm looking people are listening to the show. But that's the first confirmed fan of it.
Speaker 3: That's so nice. Shout out to Sean and I hope Greg washed his hands there.
Speaker 1: Of course, those are a tough scene in those pies. Let's yeah, let's do the bucks. Give me your best stuff on the bucks.
Speaker 3: Chris Godwin in the slot I think is going to be overall some of the best stuff on the bucks. I also loved you guys mentioned it a little bit in Monday mornings episode of NFL Daily which I listened to.
Speaker 2: Don't say that that means we talked about him on.
Speaker 3: But you only talked about it like a very small amount. Because I really do love this receiving Corps. I think people forget that Liam Cohen is the offensive coordinator over there. Liam Cohen worked a lot in the early stages of Cooper Cup when he was doing a lot more stuff out of the specific slot role before he moved into this like hybrid slot f player who did a lot. He's always done a lot in the blocking game and all that. I think he really wants to see if they can unlock Chris Godwin. It's it's very very rare to have ever have a season in twenty twenty one like Cooper Cup had, but it has been brought up a few times as sort of an aspiration, a goal to at least have some of that style of production, a do it all player. You know. Chris Godwin is like quietly second on this in this franchise and receiving yard, you know. And Mike Evans obviously with ten consecutive thousand yard seasons, is still there. And I really liked, you know, as you know, I got to see a lot of the scouting process this year. Greg. Everybody liked Jalen McMillan. Everybody really liked him. And I think all of these players they give Baker Mayfield just this diversity of target. They can do a lot of things. Mike Evans is obviously like your your ex guy, but like the other two like they can go do a lot of different things. And Chris Godwin, I still have faith. I know the injury a couple of years ago and people wondered if he could come back from that, but I've always admired his game. I love this position change for him, and as the Baker Sons continues, I do think that Liam Cohen who go away.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if it'll continue it. I don't know if he's put two years together in a row, so that worries me, but he's set up for it. This Bucks team, I hear Bucks fans out there that feel like they don't get talked about, they don't get the respect.
Speaker 2: They were in the divisional round last year.
Speaker 1: There's always there's always one team like the Giants a couple of years ago that you know, they make the divisional round and just no one thinks they're going to get back, and Bucks fans will be like, yeah, but we've won the division three straight times. Okay, let's tour with Tom Brady and he's not there. And the other one last year you tied, You tied at nine and eight and you won the tie breaker and it was great and you were entertaining the watch by the end of the year and you made the Lions sweat a little bit in that game.
Speaker 2: I think, are they the favorites in the division?
Speaker 3: I don't have a strong Falcons are close.
Speaker 1: I think I don't have a strong feeling, but I think they're closer to being the favorites or are the favorites than what the Desert says at best, I think the Falcons are kind of even with them. Here's where I would worry, just the pas rush. You know, they haven't had Randy Gregory show up to camp. He's one where I don't necessarily expect him to play for the Bucks. And so you have Yayad Diabi as a second year player who got a lot of cleanup sacks. You have a rookie braswell. You have Joe Tryon not a lot of pass rush. The good thing is the strength of that defense. Canty and Vidavead next to each other. Could they have career years together at the same time, because if that happens, the whole rest of the defense takes care of itself.
Speaker 2: They're playing Daniel's week one.
Speaker 1: By the way, Todd Bowles versus a rookie quarterback, It's possible if those two guys play their best seasons at the same time together. That alone, with you know, reasonable play otherwise, which they'll have, and a great coach, that's enough to be dangerous because those two are crazy. And I was really interested when Cansey said he looks at Cameron Jordan as a player he wants to model himself after, which that surprised me. But they are relatively similar body types. It's like, Okay, so you got those two guys, and I think the offensive line has a chance.
Speaker 2: To be really good.
Speaker 1: Quietly, they've they've drafted well on the offensive line, and so you have a good offensive line.
Speaker 2: You have those two guys. They got a chance. I believe in you.
Speaker 3: Bucks. They got to get Tristan Wurf's figured out. They got to get this.
Speaker 2: But he's there, he's at camp.
Speaker 3: He's there. There's no reason to believe that it doesn't get worked through being there, being present. And then they seem to have come. Bucks reporters Greg Allman does a great job over for Fox Sports. There's sort of this chatter that there they've figured out some sort of happy medium of what he will participate in. Again, someone like of Worf's caliber. I'm not exactly worried, super worried if they missed them.
Speaker 1: They already said their GM Jason Light said he will be the highest paid tackle in the league.
Speaker 2: So when that happens, it's like, what are we talking about?
Speaker 1: That means they've already offered him a contract that makes him the highest paid tackle in the league. It's the same thing with Jefferson. When I heard that, I was like, Okay, this is over.
Speaker 3: It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: It will happen.
Speaker 3: Raiders dollars, set dollars into pounds. Makes sense.
Speaker 1: You got to learn from Dwayne Wade who had the His pronouns are he and him, which I like the first time, but then he went back to it four times.
Speaker 3: So that's not mine.
Speaker 2: You gotta sprinkle in your catchphrase, but it's not mine.
Speaker 3: I'm citing a source on this one.
Speaker 2: You used it, it's yours.
Speaker 1: Now, Jordan, get to get to practice, get out of the pitching cage, and uh yeah, I'm making you work overtime this week because you will be with us on Friday show.
Speaker 2: So I am looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: We'll have some content from RAMS camp, but we'll talk about other stuff and yeah, after the break, I'm really excited for you guys to hear a little bit more about the Los Angeles Chargers this season and Jim Harbaugh king Charger by Jordan.
Speaker 6: Bye, there's another really good day, just great day for football. The patch, no pads. I mean, I just look at how much time do I have today? You know, today practice gets to be an hour and forty five minutes, and you know that's that's what I look forward to. It's an our hour and forty five minutes of a pure joy for me. I mean, the distractions of the modern world cease. There are no I have no cell phones to answer. I just to get to go out there, sunshining, cool breeze coming in off of the ocean, and uh, get to interact, get to interact with the players, the coaches, all all of us who have a love and passion for the game of football. So uh yeah, it's just uh it's just a gift, you know. And then any kind of and then the excitement, the work, the challenge, you know, all energy all goes into making it a better day day today than than yesterday. So uh, tomorrow, get two hours, two hours of that pure joy where I don't have to be inside. I get to get to be out the.
Speaker 2: Pure joy of training camp.
Speaker 1: They put the pads on on Monday with the Chargers for the first time. I was at Chargers training camp and we're gonna hear from Hayden Hurst, their tight end. I talked to him for a couple of minutes. It was very nice to lend his time. Then you'll hear a longer interview with JK. Dobbins, who I really enjoyed, and then will wrap up the show with Matt money Smith, our friend. But just a few takeaways before we get to that. From the day at Chargers Camp. That pure joy that Harbaugh is talking about, you could see it. This is he's a king. He's the king of the Chargers and this is his kingdom. The Bolt is this new training facility that they set up. It's beautiful and I gotta admit it's hard to imagine Brandon Staley presiding over this. It's like he wouldn't be worthy of it. It's a really nice setup. I give the Chargers credit. The weight rooms outside it's very cool because it's near the ocean, as Harbaugh mentioned, and it's seventy degrees. They have a great setup in the building where they have the meeting rooms, and then right outside the meeting rooms there's these big patios where they can actually do the walk throughs there so they don't even have to go downstairs.
Speaker 2: And you just saw Harbaugh soaking it up. That joy was obvious.
Speaker 1: He's so in the mix in these practices where he's breaking it up, he's talking to them, he's running some plays, and then afterwards he's spending all these times like having deep conversations with fans, like really engaging with them, and you just see a guy who is enjoying life. I'm fascinated to see how this goes. But it is a totally different vibe around this Chargers team. A couple things just from practice Number one, JK. Dobbins, who will be on the show, was the first team running back, got a ton of reps.
Speaker 2: There's no Gus Edwards out there.
Speaker 1: He looks really explosive coming off a torn achilles which was suffered early last season, much better than I would expect.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna have a big role on this team.
Speaker 1: Quentin Johnson caught the first two catches of eleven on elevens. He's in some lineups where he's just two wide receivers on the field. He's going to be a part of this offense. Maybe he's rotated in with DJ Shark and the two tight ends obviously Josh Palmer, but they're trying to get something out of Quinton Johnson. The defense dominated the day though for the most part, Justin Herbert I think was frustrated. A lot of pass rush, a lot of hands on the ball, a couple near interceptions. They have a deep pass rush with the Chargers, like Chris rump I was noticing was their fifth rusher.
Speaker 2: He's a good player to be their fifth rusher. So a lot of pressure on Justin Herbert.
Speaker 1: Ray shn Slater was out there, but just for a couple snaps in team drills, and yeah, it's a part of the offseason where the defense, at least for today, was dominating.
Speaker 2: Finally, it's a unique setup where the.
Speaker 1: La Metro train is going by multiple times, like every ten minutes across this practice field. It's a very unique setup. I put it on my Instagram, this ghost train. You know, other teams could could put, you know, their spies out there to see what's going on at Chargers camp.
Speaker 2: But it was a cool setup.
Speaker 1: And I'm looking forward to you hearing these interviews and everything I talked about with Matt money Smith, and it's gonna be different for NFL daily. We're gonna hit the rams, We're gonna hit the raiders. I know you feel like it's a West Coast bias. I am gonna hit all thirty two teams with a deep dive, and so we'll have a board, we'll keep track of it. These are just the teams I can get to. They're not putting me on a plane. So it is good to get out to see some football. I was feeling that joy today. I hope that comes through. Here are my interviews with Hayden Hurst and JK. Dobbins and then Matt money Smith.
Speaker 2: What's the different vibes between the Harbaugh coaches?
Speaker 5: Very similar philosophies.
Speaker 7: They're all about working hard, you know, earning everything that you get, which I think that's football to its core.
Speaker 4: So you know, I love it and I respect it.
Speaker 1: I mean I they feel about as football to its core as it gets. Like our most head coach. I've been to a lot of training camp practices, and Jim Harbaugh seems like he is in the mix about as much as any head coach is going.
Speaker 4: To be in the mix.
Speaker 1: I almost was a little worried for him, like that he's gonna get taken down on some of the back pedals.
Speaker 7: No, he hops in the drills, he's got the cleats on, he's over there flipping sleds with us. You know, Harves doesn't mess around. Man, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: You were signed here by by Joe Hortz. Hortiz rather you mentioned that the GM of the Chargers. I noticed they brought you and Will Disley in around the same time, and there's questions about, like, what the what is this offense going to be? The wide receiver group is some somewhat uncertain, and I thought they were telegraphing a little bit when they brought in you two guys at the same time that they'll probably be playing a lot of twelve personnel with two tight ends on the field. You've obviously done that before. Like does that get you going? What kind of advantages do you think it is to have two tight ends on the field.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's exciting obviously, It's you know, it's a tight end centric offense. You know, I've been in it before, you know, with me, Nick Mark, Max, Darren Waller. You know, we all did it in Baltimore, so I'm very familiar with how this thing kind of function. It'll be cool, cool to do it with Justin, cool to do it with Will. Just kind of changing up a little bit obviously different skill sets you know that we all bring to the table, but same philosophy. We running early and often and see what we got after that?
Speaker 2: What's what's it? What's justin been?
Speaker 1: Like you've been around some some great quarterbacks obviously really now that they think of it, it's like you've been with three of the top quarterbacks in the entire league, and Lamar and Joe Burrow and Herbert, Like what what's unique about Herbo out of that group?
Speaker 7: I mean just just by looking at him, his stature, you know, he's very impressive. It looks like he could be in our room as well. You know, he's like six six, big, big dude, live arm and he can put it anywhere on the field.
Speaker 5: Just his personality is great.
Speaker 7: It's kind of infectious to be around a guy like that who just loves the game, you know, very easy going, fun loving kind of guy, just wants to be one of the boys. So you know, it's it's fun to be with a guy like.
Speaker 1: We don't get a lot of Herbert personality, Taco, though I did see him. He he celebrated a one touchdown you guys had there today. I haven't seen a lot of that, Like Yeah, what what is he like?
Speaker 5: He's just one of the guys.
Speaker 7: You know, I think the tight ends offensive line, they're just most normal, I guess you could say, position wise, just regular guys. And I think Justin loves just being one of the guys. I don't know if he necessarily loves being Justin Herbert all the time and getting all the attention. I think he likes to go under the raidar and just kind of hang out with the boys.
Speaker 1: So then that begs the question, like who's the what's the most abnormal position group?
Speaker 2: Then on the team, if you have to rank them top three.
Speaker 7: Wide receivers and dbs, okay, they kind of like, you know, they love the Instagram post stuff like that, which is cool. You know, they get the touchdowns and the picks and all the cool stuff. So we'll let those guys have it.
Speaker 1: Looking forward to seeing you get some touchdowns. Obviously be blocking a lot of running for this Chargers team. I'm excited to see what they do. Thank you, hayden Hurst.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Man there appreciating me. All Right, we are here with JK. Dobbins, A man I am excited to talk about. He was excited to walk over here. I have already heard from around the building here. You're just like you got the best personal you get the most energy of like anyone in that running back room.
Speaker 2: Now you got no answer for that?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean I think that's the truth. Yeah, I think it's the truth.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Like, I'm fascinated by running backs because seeing you and Gust together to see the two different types of body types that can both excel though and speaking as a very small man myself much much smaller than you. Uh Like, is that cause you're like a shorter guy? You got to make them hear you, you know? Is that a Napoleon thing?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 5: No, I make them feel me. I make everyone feel me first, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I might be shorter, but I think i'm yeah a little bit of power to me. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. But you know, the looks looks looks so nice to have too. You could be a big, tall guy, you know, but I like the way I love.
Speaker 1: To absolutely Yeah, I'm no, Like you can look like me and then you'd be in trouble. You went out there today in pads the first time, Like, how'd that feel for you? Coming off you know, the injury that you have last year another another step to put the pads on and get get to real football today.
Speaker 5: It's a blessing, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: The injury I had in the first game was pretty it was it was, for lack of a better words, weird because it was just a regular tackle. You know, I don't know why I gave out. It didn't hurt none of that, But it was the It was the lower's plan, you know, it was. It was the plan of Jesus to give me that so I can get here. It' to where I feel amazing. I feel so good, like with paz On, I feel I feel like I'm in college shape, you know what I'm saying. So I don't know, maybe this, maybe the Achilles injury was to make my legs stronger, make my my feet quicker, and make me more fresh so I can co have this huge year that I know I'm going.
Speaker 2: To have this Ooh, I like it.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about the huge year because yeah, you're you're out there with the first team, to my eye, looking explosive, getting a lot of reps obviously there with justin like are you ahead of where you expected to be?
Speaker 2: And just how you're feeling. Tell me about that huge year.
Speaker 5: I'm right, I'm right where I where I thought I was gonna be. You know, I put in the work. I'm I'm I knew when I when I had the Achilles, I wasn't down about it. I told some people in the locker room for the Ravens, it was like, I'm built for this, Like this is nothing. This will be like an echo sprant. I'll be back like that which I was. I was running sprinting at five months.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Some people say it's unheard of. I don't know. I don't care because I'm gonna get this work in and I know where I need to where I need to be, and that's why I'm going going higher than what I was, you know. And so it's been great, you know. And I'm just gonna keep working, keep getting better, and keep feeling better as well.
Speaker 1: Right, And you obviously landed with a team that's got some big boys on the offensive line, especially at tackle, that has the two tight ends out there.
Speaker 2: You got a big smile on.
Speaker 1: I fits it's going to run the ball, so it should be a running backs paradise, Like are you looking forward to that? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I'm looking forward to see how we jail together. You know, we just got to keep building our chemistry, me and the old line. You know, we gotta we gotta see everything together. Like I can't have different eyes than than Zion or or whoever's that did no tackle. I can't have different eyes than Bradley Boseman or whoever's a center, or different eyes than Slater. You know, we all got to jail together. Have this great, great chemistry so we can we can run that. We can run that thing.
Speaker 1: So we had back when you were coming out as a prospect. We have a guy that used to come on our old show around the NFL. His name is Spice Rack, and he was so big on you coming out of college. And he said, you just got to watch JK. Dobbins because he reminds me of a young Emmett Smith. And I said, oh that you don't hear that comparison too often. So ever, since he put that in my head, I watch you and I do kind of see that in terms of the vision and being in sync. You mentioned with your offensive lineman, which Emmett was was so good at, Like, do you have guys that you look at a little bit to model you And what do you think about that Emmett call.
Speaker 5: I think that's a good call. You know, both shorter guys. So when I was in when I was at Ohio State, I used to see Emmitt. You know, he used to be on the sidelines, and he's a great guy. I love him, you know. So whenever I whenever I hear that comparison, because I've heard that comparison a lot, you know, I it gives me a reason to be motivated because I know him and I know he's a great guy, and I know he's number one all time on the on the on the rushing yards right right, correct, So I want to be like that. I want to I want to be number one, like right now. Yes, I've had unfortunate injuries right like right now, no one knows. No people know a little bit because they saw a little bit from what I've put out there. But I truly believe that I can be legendary.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, and you you put up the numbers when you when you've been out there six yards per carry, five point seven yards per carry, like when you've been out there for the time we got left, I want to kind of hear through your eyes what you see. I want to first ask you before the snap, what what do you looking for as a running back before the snap?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't want to tell everything, but first first I'm I'm gonna look at the D line. I gotta see what they're what kind of front they're in, you know, so I can know where, you know where to anticipate the play going, you know. And then I'm looking at the safeties to watch what kind of blitters they might bring if we're in pass protection, you know. So, and then after that it's just my killersty comes in and I'm like, all right, nobody's tackling me, let's get if I get the ball, no one's tackling me, let's take it to the house.
Speaker 1: And what kind of keys are you doing after? Because that's it's why I like watching you run. You seem to somehow slow down the game a little bit. My favorite running back of all time is Frank Or, who to me, had this way of seeing things ahead of time and getting small through holes. I think you got a little bit of that in you, and I want to know, like, what is it after the snap that that you're seeing?
Speaker 5: Well, I like him. I'm slowing the game down. But that starts with the pre snap. You know I'm slowing if I see what I see on the defense, that slows it down. When I get the ball, it's slow. I'm taking my time. I'm pretty fast guy, so I know I can restart faster than the most defensive players. So and I appreciate you forgiving me. These guys are the legendary that you're throwing out.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you you were on our You know, I don't want to get into the fantasy football of it all, but I brought you up as someone to watch. Definitely this year, I'll rap with the last quarterback he played with, Lamar Jackson. Now you're playing with Justin Herbert. I know Justin Herbert's not Lamar, but you were front row to see like one of the greatest running quarterbacks of all time. Maybe compared just their running styles a little bit, and what you've seen out of Justin as a runner, because he can he can move for a big guy.
Speaker 5: Man, You know, Lamar, he's my brother.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: I still talk to him to today. You know, I love him. That's my brother.
Speaker 4: He knows that.
Speaker 5: You know, nobody can run like Lamar in the league right now. But my man Justin, he's my brother as well. I love him as well. He's got more athleticism than people people know. You know, he can run and I saw that in college too. I remember one time I think it was like a rose boar or something. He like took it to the house and like that guy can run. I didn't know he can run, you know, so a little different. The bar's a lot a lot different, you know, with his moves and stuff. But they both got a leticism and Justin can do he can do it all.
Speaker 1: Okay, you said, big year, I'll let you go on this like you're throwing any numbers out there, you got any goals.
Speaker 5: In mind, I'll let you put your numbers out. I'll let everyone put their numbers out, and I bet all, I'll bet all beat those numbers that y'all put out.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm thinking like twelve hundred and thirteen hundred yards from scrimming something like that, because they want to share the ball a little bit. Gus is gonna get his work too. But you're looking you can still beat that. You're saying, yes, okay, I love it.
Speaker 2: JK.
Speaker 1: Dobbins, you heard it. One of my favorite running backs in the league. We'll be back after this with our friend Matt money Smith welcoming into the show. One of my favorite people, one of the funniest.
Speaker 2: People I know.
Speaker 4: That's two lies you've told three? What else?
Speaker 2: Okay? One of the best storytellers.
Speaker 1: If you're at a dinner with Matt money Smith and Dave Danischek, know that you will not get any words in edgewise, but you will be laughing the whole time.
Speaker 2: Matt money Smith, it's been a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great to see you. Greg. It's good to see out here at Charger Camp. It's exciting, right.
Speaker 1: It is impressive here that it's like just started like they did it right, taking a few years to get it going. But I can't wait to get my son out here. The whole thing is impressive at the Bowl, the team, it's exciting. You're you're coming out. You really see out and I feel bad for taking your time while old Herbert all good is out there.
Speaker 2: But let's hear about Herbert first, Like what do you see.
Speaker 5: So far this year?
Speaker 1: You were at the OTAs, you were at mini camps, Like, how do you think he fits with this?
Speaker 5: Often?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, today's first we're doing this first day of Patti practice, so it's kind of hard, you know, to to really kind of get any official football analysis in there. But what I've seen bouncing his step, I think he's beyond happy to have Shane Day back. Was kind of weird that he was pushed away in the first place. Those two had a real special bond and you know all the success he had, you know, early in his career, so I think, you know, that kind of I think opened the door. But you know, for a heck of a relationship between his head coach when he's like, look, before I hire a quarterback coach, who do you want and let's see if we can get him? And now Shane his back. So I think that helps. And I think it's important for people to remember, you know, people like you who do the Quarterback Index and the rankings and all those sort of things, that this is a guy that has not had the easiest path. His best year, in my opinion, was his first year because he had Shane Stikeen call in plays and you saw the magic that happened and how he utilized his skill set to maximize you know, what Justin Herbert can do out there. So I'm very excited for him to partner with not just Greg Roman, but Jim Harbaugh. I think it's going to be a real special relationship for him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing even just seeing the start of this practice, like Harbaugh is in the middle of everything, He's stopping the whole practice down to talk to everyone. The way they've built this team though, getting rid of the big names. That wide receiver. You got a rookie in McConkie. You have Quinton Johnson. I noticed that the first two catches there, and in teamwork here, like, how do you think that receiver situation works out? And then they brought in the tight ends We're gonna have Hayden Hurst on in a bit like how does this all look?
Speaker 4: I like it. I know people will say I'm biased, you know, because I've worked for the Chargers, but I think it's a really good collection for what Herbert does. I don't know, I don't know what the top three will be. I don't know how often they're going to be in eleven. You know, they're probably going to be in a lot more twelve and just kind of watching one of the more interesting numbers to keep an eye on a seventy one McFadden who was drafted as a tackle guard center work, and now he is doing a lot of the Patrick Ricards stuff out there. So I think you're gonna see, you know, I don't know what the receiver rotation is going to look like. One thing I can tell you, though, is Lad McConkie's a problem. He is slippery and you are seeing dudes get their ankles broken every single day out there. The route running prowess that was celebrated as someone who was like a ten year vet that I don't think that was over selling him. That is certainly what his skill is, and that's a skill that Herbert loves.
Speaker 2: It's a lot to ask for rookie to be a one, but they don't really need it to be a one. They need to him to be one.
Speaker 1: But in terms of snaps, yeah, if I had to guess who gets the most snaps, it's probably him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Josh Palmerfrey's healthy. He's like to me, he's wildly underrated. Anytime he had to step in for Mike Williams or Keenan Allen when they were hurt, he'd come up with one hundred yard game. If you look through his game logs you'll see yeah, you got the targets, and there is problem is you just have struggle with health. So if he stays healthy, I think he's unequivocal number one. And I kind of like the way it's built right. So Shark, you know, DJ Shark is your outside X and I think that allows McConkey, who we saw lineup. You were standing next to me a little bit on the outside for some of the early eleven on eleven's. I think you can be flexible with he and Josh and they can both really shine in either of those spots.
Speaker 1: You've you've been around just talking with the coaches and watching the practice. Just like, who who surprised you? I guess, like, who are some players on this team that you're into?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so one just we were discussing before we walked over the sheer size of Joe Wall. You get it. It's like, oh, yeah, I get this. This this makes sense. This is this is someone that is larger than you know, NFL players are larger than most humans, and this is a guy who's larger than most NFL players.
Speaker 2: It's humbling. I mean, these you had what did you say that if.
Speaker 4: This was a four thousand years ago, you and I would have some serious property.
Speaker 2: It would be dead.
Speaker 1: And I appreciate you throwing yourself into the same mix as me, but it's humbling. But uh, it is nice to be around these monstrous men. Uh defensively, like I don't know, like this is such a mystery box to me of like what this team is going to look like, how they're going to line up, and how these guys that they almost surprisingly to me came came back Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack fit in with with everyone else here.
Speaker 4: So I don't have I think the Edge group's gonna be great, you know, I think I'll be See I'm never going to project for bad health, so I'm assuming everyone's going to stay healthy. As crazy as that may sound. But if you have that rotation Tully and Bud dupre or starting edges on a lot of teams in the NFL. So to have that four and to try to keep them fresh the way coach Minter I think wants to rotate them, that's great. Secondary is kind of where we have our question marks and you might have a little battle at that nickel corner with John Taylor and the rookie tarheb Still who really kind of has flashed a little bit. They probably they need to find that second safety so they can really unlock Derwin. You know, Alowe's solid, you know, underrated because he's not really that flashy athlete, but just a very cerebral, smart player. So I think if they can find that second safety, unlocked Derwin and then beyond that Greg, I think it's going to be the linebackers. You know, if Junior Colson is what we think he can be as a rookie, you know, he had the penaciitis, so he's not been practicing. But I'm if there's one player I want to keep it, you know, Derwin, Joey all just push that stuff aside. There's one player I'd watch zero, Dyon Henley. I think that's that's your prototypical twenty twenty four NFL lineu backer with how fast and how athletic and also how strong he is.
Speaker 1: I fascinated by that because, like to me, you look at the teams that struggled in the playoffs, it's because their linebacker play stunk.
Speaker 2: This Chargers team got hurt by linebacker play.
Speaker 1: This is a team that I've been overly excited about a year year after I Yeah, last I took one year off, which was twenty twenty two, which it would have been fine.
Speaker 2: It was fine to take off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now they're I'm not saying they're under the radar or anything, but you've been here as a part of this move up to Los Angeles. Give me more, just the the high view of like Jim Harbaugh arrives here, Like, how does it feel you are part of the organization? Ultimately you're you're the play by play guy for the Chargers, And can they finally make dopes like me who think they're going to be great? Because now that I'm around it and I just see the uniform and this place is cool and Herbert is still Herbert. Now I'm kind of back in and I'm like, why not this team right now? It's Jim freaking Harba.
Speaker 4: That's what you just said it. I think that's exactly what it is. They needed someone to walk through that door that says I'm a winner. All right, you guys are very talented, but let's win. And that's what I do everywhere I go. So I think that's exactly what they needed. It feels like they're responding to that in terms of you know this so you'll see it today after practice they do what they call fourth quarter ot period, and you're talking about guys that are out here in the sun practicing for two hours. Today's full pads. Ben Herbert's gonna put them through bear crawls on their fingers and toes. They're gonna flip sleds, They're gonna drag the you know, they're gonna flip the sleds here. They're gonna drag those sleds over there. And it's like another twenty minutes and they're all jacked and geeked to do it because they believe it's kind of what you know, coaches is sort of preached that everybody's good and these things typically come down to the end of half and the end of games. Got to be able to outlast your opponent, and that's what that's all about. And they seem that they want it, you know, I mean, Herbert wants it, Derwin wants it. These leaders of this tiers a reason why Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack took pay cuts because they want it here. And I think they they're really buying in and they believe what he's what he's kind of pushing here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I when I heard Bosa, who is a man of few words, kind of just mumble out, you know, like, well when he says it, we know it's gonna right, it matters, like we were, like, he's done it before. So if he says that, there's no doubting, and I'm I'm immediately thinking, well, there there probably was some doubting. But we don't need to talk trash on. Who wasn't there before? You're not on your your fingers and toes. But I'm guessing you did some like, uh surfing this morning.
Speaker 4: Because I did surf this morning after he was in a quick session. Because up here some hot dad content.
Speaker 1: Check out Matt Money says Instagram like sometimes he's got the shirt off hees.
Speaker 4: You said I was funny, You said, uh, I don't remember what the other one was, that I was a good storytelling, good storyteller. And now I get the uh the good looking guy all eyes.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying good looking, but the body. Yeah, for your for your age. I'm not gonna go for my age.
Speaker 4: There we go, because I am weird looking in the face. I absolutely accept.
Speaker 1: That Matt money Smith, thank you so much. That's going to be it for today's show. We will be back on Wednesday with Will Brinson looking forward to that show, picking our guys for the twenty twenty fourteen