Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's just you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast one eleven productions. iHeartRadio, iHeart Media, iHeart Podcasts, Season seven, Episode thirteen. I'd rather be in Philadelphia pop culture lorleiash Richard how he's doing while standing over him in the hospital room. Richard, Well, all in all, I think I'd rather be in Philadelphia. Rory, Ronald Reagan, Richard quoting W. C. Fields. I'd rather be in Philadelphia's a quote W. C. Fields in nineteen twenty five Vanity Fair article where he says, here lies W. C. Fields, I'd rather be living in Philadelphia. Did you know by implying that Philadelphia would be slightly preferable to the grave the joke tapped a vein of critical commentary about the city in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, just.
Speaker 3: That Ronald Reagan said it in a speech. So Rory was attributing it to Ronald Reagan. But Richard's explaining that Ronald Reagan was actually quoting W. C.
Speaker 2: Fields. Yep, got it, got it.
Speaker 4: I didn't know Vanity Fair went.
Speaker 1: Back that far did I actually, oh sure.
Speaker 3: Just came to me too, But that caused Loralai to console her with some kind words about her dad.
Speaker 2: This is a great line.
Speaker 3: He's like, Warren Batty, your dad or Sean Connery or who's that one I always found so sexy, the evil politician with the glasses, Henry Kissinger. Oh yeah, I know him. Okay, this is just like so great. Warren Batty is an actor and filmmaker who's rumored to be linked to over one hundred female celebrities, but he settled down with an At Benning and one hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there was.
Speaker 1: That's like a weekend for that guy when he was young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Warren Batty was kind of Hubba Hubba in his time there sort of.
Speaker 2: He was not that long ago.
Speaker 1: He was Leonardo DiCaprio of his day.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Sean Connery, he was the man. Sean Connery was the first.
Speaker 3: Actor to portray James Bond on film, starring in seven Bond films between sixty two and eighty three. But Sean Donnery was still like pretty sexy even when he did the rock Like, I was like, that guy's a badass, Like he's a stud? Was he did pass away. Henry Kissinger, who I think recently passed away. Actually, Henry Kissinger was a diplomat and political scientist who I never found super hot, but Babet did, who served as a US Secretary of State. Sean Connery enlisted in the Navy, did you know? At age sixteen and was discharged due to stomach ulcers. He then went on to work as a nude model for art students in Scotland. Who's got a favorite Sean?
Speaker 1: It was actually fired because the school ran out of chalk.
Speaker 2: Who Who's got a favorite? Sean Connery? For me, it's the Rock.
Speaker 3: But that's because I wasn't you know, a big bond. I was like the Roger Moore era, and like here's Brosnan.
Speaker 1: I think Goldfinger for me?
Speaker 2: Goldfinger, Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: I still would have put Robert Redford and Paul Newman in there for me, because maybe she was trying to compare them a little bit, maybe to Richard's look.
Speaker 2: But for me, Robert Redford.
Speaker 3: Audie, Audie, if you google, just google Robert Redford, like younger, he's as hot as Brad Pitt.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: He was like Brad Pitt on Broadway.
Speaker 2: He was on Yeah, he was so Brad Pitty.
Speaker 3: And there's that movie where they did together Pitt and Redford, that Spy Game.
Speaker 1: Hell well, if you're listening, watch Butch casting The Sundance Kid. Because it's Redford Newman.
Speaker 2: No, I feel like I should watch that. I know, I feel like I do.
Speaker 1: You've got to see this film.
Speaker 3: I know, I feel like, oh this is I have a poster of Robert Redford in my garage office and I'm I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and uh Bill Goldman wrote the screenplay and it doesn't get better than that. Yeah, I mean it was like the best of all possible world. It's best writer, best director, best actors. It's like to give it a go, amazing, you give it.
Speaker 3: I watched The Posidon Adventure, the original one, Towering Inferno.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we watched Towering Inferno.
Speaker 3: Pretty iconic, and then it kind of fizzles there in the end.
Speaker 2: You're like, wait, what, Uh.
Speaker 3: Airport seventy seven Do you remember.
Speaker 1: That one that was? Was that the comedy?
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think it's sort of what's created airplane right, So I feel like I've watched all the sort of cheesy oldies.
Speaker 2: I need to watch maybe the good ones.
Speaker 3: And I never watched All the Presidents Men either, I should.
Speaker 2: Watch that too.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen All the Presidents.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have a busy weekend, guess.
Speaker 4: Logan is explaining directions over the phone to the fish delivery man to get to the Gilmour's house. Rory says, well, it sounds like Abt and Costello got nothing on you and the fishman. Logan says, you you liked that with the.
Speaker 2: Right right business.
Speaker 4: It could use a little bit of polish. But me and the Fishman have plans to bring back Vaudeville. Rory says, oh, I'm going to book the Palace Theater Logan and the Fishman. Abbot and Costello were a comedy duo composed but Abbot and Luke Costello. Their pattern routine, Who's on First, is considered one of the greatest comedy routines of all time. The Palace Theater is a Broadway theater facing Times Square in New York City. And did you know? Both were big gamblers and had serious health problems. Abbot suffered from epilepsy enter for seizure management, while Costello had a near fatal fight with rheumatic fever.
Speaker 3: I had no idea, but I do know that the other day I called Danielle something was happening at work and I'm like, who's on first, what's on second? Like it was just one of those and it's like even it's still getting referred to.
Speaker 1: All right, who's up?
Speaker 5: I can do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Logan is explaining to Rory his plans to buy a new internet platform, and Logan says, I mean, Chad Hurley and Steve Chen just sold YouTube for one point six one point sixty five billion dollars, and who knows how much Mark Zuckerberg will get for Facebook. Rory says, oh yeah. Comparatively, Chad Hurley and Steven and Steve Chen were founders of YouTube alongside jo Ed Curreem. Mark Zuckerberg is the co founder of Facebook along with his Harvard roommates in two thousand and four. He recently sold four hundred and twenty eight million dollars of share of meta platforms at the end of twenty twenty three and didn't know. At the age of twelve, Mark built a messaging tool for his father called Zucknet that improved communications for dentists and another. Did you know he is often seen wearing the same iconic gray T shirt because it allows him to focus on more important factors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody has to steal from Einstein, right, and.
Speaker 2: That reminds me of that lady, that blood lady. I don't to talk about that blood lady who you know? What was her name? Was her name Elizabeth Holmes?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, yoh oh my.
Speaker 2: That's a whole other episode.
Speaker 3: Rory tells Logan how she's excited for the next business class project with Richard as her teacher. Like, next week, we're going to split up into ten groups and each of us have to create a business plan like The Apprentice. Yeah, and he's going to be like Donald Trump, which is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, if.
Speaker 3: They only knew then, if they only knew then. The Apprentice was a reality show on NBC that ran from tw thousand and four to twenty seventeen that judged the business feels of a group of contestants with his show host, Donald Trump. Trump was near bankruptcy in two thousand and two, then The Apprentice happened, and we'll just leave it there.
Speaker 5: You won't talk about any recent news headlines.
Speaker 1: Rory found a box of records at the Gilmour's Rory, Here's this. I also found a bunch of his albums Bobby Schort singing called Porter a couple of his favorite Gershwin Want's Rhapsody in Blue and The American in Paris. Also a couple of Scott Joplin records. All those Scott Joplin might be a little zazily for the hospital logan Yah, I don't know what their policy is about ragtime Rory Oh. I found Chuck Berry at the Fillmore, which I gave him for his sixtieth birthday. Also Schubert and DBC Debcu what should be nice and relaxing all it? Though I didn't find the Bing Crosby album I wanted. It's with his son Gary. It's a song called when you and I were young Maggie Blues and when Grandpa hears that, he sings along and says I always wanted to be a crooner. Bobby Short was a cab ra singer and a pianist who interpreted songs by songwriters such as Colporter. Cole Porter was a composer and songwriter, with many of his scores finding success on Broadway and in Hollywood films. George Gershwin was a composer and a penist, and his best known work being Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris. Scott Joplin was also a composer and penis and dubbed the King of Ragtime. Live at the Filmore Auditorium is A is a live album by Chuck Berry where he is backed by the Steve Miller Band. I had no idea that I didn't wow. Yes, the same Steve Miller band that sings I'm a Joker, I'm a Joker, I'm a midnight smoke That was featured a few episodes ago. Franz Schubert Franz Sorry. Franz Schubert is an Austrian composer, and Claude Debuc was a French composer when you and I were young. Maggie Blues is a nineteen fifty one folk song by father son duo Bing and Gary Crosby. Did you know a kroner is a singer, especially in a man who sing's jazz standards? The This suggestion of intimacy was supposedly wildly attractive to women.
Speaker 3: And crooner because that's kind of like bouble right, isn't he a little croonery?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, yeah, he borrows from that krooner era.
Speaker 2: Yeah he does.
Speaker 1: The style of singing reached its heights in the forties to late sixties, and I guess you know that's how Sinatra started out as a creel.
Speaker 3: Like early in my career, I met Bobby Short. I might be making that up, but something makes me think I did.
Speaker 1: And another did you know? Cole Porter was part of the Class of nineteen thirteen. He wrote several school songs that are still popular today, including Bulldog and Bingo. Wow, all right.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll do this one since I did Avit Costello.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fitting yeah.
Speaker 4: Logan explains to Rory the funny joke the fish man told him, and Rory says, well, that fish man, he's a funny one, and Logan says, believe me, I know. I'm Hardy to his Laurel, Laurel and Hardy were a comedy team consisting of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. They started their career as a duo in the silent film era and then later transition to talkies.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 4: Oliver Hardy received the nickname Babe from an Italian barber who rubbed his face with Talca powder and said that's nice. A baby, Okay.
Speaker 2: Laurel and Hardy's work.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not really familiar with Avin Costellos or the Three Stooges or any of those people.
Speaker 2: What was Laurel and Hardy did they have? Like a black and white TV show?
Speaker 1: It was a sort of a big, rotund gentleman and a small thin gentleman. Yeah, back and forth. They were hysterical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't have a lot of comedy duos anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like kind of a lost art Who was Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin were Martin and Lewis. They were huge before they split up. Yeah, massive, Yeah, just very fun. You never saw the Three Stooges, Amy, What's Up?
Speaker 3: Kind of in passing and I was sort of like cringed to it. It didn't I think of that era. I was watching Leave It to Beaver. I don't know if that was at the same time or a little later, but that was about as far back as I go.
Speaker 1: I never to Leave It to Beaver as like late fifties and sixties.
Speaker 2: When were these guys When we're.
Speaker 4: Laura, Laura Hardy I mean, well they were in silent films, so yeah, Leave It to Beaver's about as early as I kind of go.
Speaker 2: I never saw the Waltons. I think that was later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, much of the Walton I don't think Caventies.
Speaker 2: I saw a lot of Leave It to Beaver. That was about the first.
Speaker 4: I never watched Three Stooges, but I loved Little Rascals.
Speaker 2: See I kind of missed that too.
Speaker 3: I was about to say that I remember being on like sort of TV, but I never watched it.
Speaker 1: The no Three Stooges was like just all this brilliantly choreographed physical comedy Kill me.
Speaker 2: And was that the sixties?
Speaker 1: That was like, yeah, yeah, that was for you.
Speaker 2: Do what I got, do my best.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you know what you're doing this weekend? Right? You're watching?
Speaker 3: Yes, all the presidents men, But I'm not going back to Laurel and Hardy.
Speaker 1: No, you don't have to just go watch a couple episodes of Three Stooges, please, No, No, yeah, you got it.
Speaker 2: You have some about It gives me the wiggies. I don't want to. I don't know why. It just gives me the willies.
Speaker 3: I don't want to in my film classes. I had to watch some of that early stuff. His Girl Friday, I had to watch that, Jack Lemon. No, his Girl Friday was a somebody, Spencer Tracy, something like that. It was a black and white movie and I had to watch it like seven times. And I just never want to.
Speaker 1: Do on free Boguard. Who was that that Spencer Tracy, his girl?
Speaker 3: Can you google his Girl Friday and give me the stars of it? It was somebody famous and I, yeah, not Jimmy Stewart.
Speaker 2: Now I was older than that.
Speaker 1: I was not a fan feeling Harry Grahant, Yeah, Rosin Roslyn Russell.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I never watched the one Honeymooners either.
Speaker 1: You never saw Jackie.
Speaker 3: Like maybe like a minute of it, but not really.
Speaker 1: This is the that was the golden ear of corn. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I watched a lot of I Love Lucy almost every episode. Yeah, so I guess that's pre leave it to Beaver. Maybe yeah, uh huh so maybe that's just that's my first My mom loved it and still does. She just loves that so much.
Speaker 5: Rory has collected clothes to bring to m at the hospital, and Rory says, so, then I grabbed a skirt, but then that opened up the whole stockings, pantyhose, going through my grandma's underwear drawer, can of worms. And each outfit needs a different top and a different pair of shoes. And do you know and do you want to know? Who rivals Emelda Marcos and logan, says Emily Gilmourmelda marcos Is the First was the first Lady at the Philippines from nineteen sixty five to nineteen eighty six, alongside her husband Ferdinand Marcos. She is known for her extravagant attire and manicured appearance.
Speaker 3: Something bad happened to them, right, Scott, Like something they were corrupt or something. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I think I stole every nickel they could from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, treasure, that's really bad.
Speaker 1: The country.
Speaker 5: Well that makes sense because did you know she reportedly owned three thousand pair of shoes, fifteen mink coats, five hundred and eight gowns, eight hundred and eighty eight handbags, and a bulletproof bra.
Speaker 2: Wows uh wew's that?
Speaker 3: Rory unloads the box of books and music for Richard. I also brought you some girl. She went some chuck Berry The Andrews sisters. Oh, and some Milton Friedman, the guy who sang Spirit in the Sky. No, that was Norman greenbom Oh. No, Milton Friedman's the economist who won the Nobel Prize in the seventies. The Andrews sisters who I have heard of, but I don't know why. Laverne, Maxine and Patricia were a harmony singing group.
Speaker 2: Of swing and boogie woogie eras.
Speaker 3: They are still influential today as they have been copied and recorded by Christina Aguilera, a Pentatonics, and more. Spirit in the Sky is a song by Norman Greenbaum. Spirit in the Sky is one of the famous, most famous, and best selling one hit wonders of all time.
Speaker 2: No way, wow, that was a huge song.
Speaker 1: Im Wow.
Speaker 3: I thought we're gonna learn more about Milton Freeman.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, whoa he was actually a long one.
Speaker 1: Milton Friedman was a pro capitalist economist.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I believe in the free market, and he believed the government should have no hand in the free market economy.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not going to read that this weekend, but you've got a shot at all the presidents, Matt.
Speaker 2: I think I'll start with that.
Speaker 1: I'll take it. Yeah, good stuff, I will take it all right. Is that going to wrap it up? Folks? I think that might wrap it up for this episode of pop culture. We will see you next time. Thanks for download. We love y'all, best fans on the planet, And remember, we and I are all in? Is it I am all No, it's not. I are all in. We are all in. We we can't say we am all in and I are all in. No, we can't say we and I am all in. Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.