Speaker 1: It's podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newarth, and today we're joined by Brody Henderson, Chester, Floyd Randall, Williams, Christine Siwiki, Logan Dove, Hillary Burn, and Ben Long. Ben is a freelance writer who contributes articles to the medeater dot com. Ben, how do you think you're going to do in Meat Eater Trivia?
Speaker 3: What you say they got?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Four verticals?
Speaker 2: Four verticals?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 3: I think I got two verticals and two horizontals.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell us about those?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I'm going to do okay on hunting and conservation because that's where I spend most of my time. I think fishing, unless they are fishing questions about northwestern Montana kind of bloat chunks there. And cooking. I'm kind of a salt pepper, medium rare kind of guy, and that's kind of the end of it. So I'll guess.
Speaker 2: It's gonna need to be a little better than that for cooking to get these right today. Now, you had told me in an email that your filing system is strong, but your but your retrieval system is old. And tethered. Explain what that means?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, like Steve says that age has an advantage, right, she had more time to soak up trivia. And I've been told I have a very trivial mind, so that helps. But the downside is that you get past a certain age and it's harder to pull those you know, neurons out of your head. So we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 2: You've forgotten more than a young guy like Chester has ever learned.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I forgotten more than Chester.
Speaker 2: Now, you just had You just had a book come out earlier this year called Hunter and Angler Field Guide to Raising Hell, tell folks what that book is about.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the opportunity. Yeah, it's a it's basically a primer on how to be a more effective conservationist. A lot of my work is worth conservation groups, and it basically is some of my experiences and my ways of going about helping groups, helping conservationists, you know, achieve their goals, whether it's policies protecting habitat, increasing access, are protecting the land, that kind of thing. So it's kind of just a real simple, effective way of getting things done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tony Binham who has contributed some photography to med Eater projects, He had said a similar thing to you. He said, this book will make you a more effective conservationist, which we love here at med Eater Trivia. Now this is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Med Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners, choosing for the stat of the week. This week we're looking at how meat Eater Trivia, the board game is so hunter and angler friendly. Here's what I mean. The game comes with a small tin carrying case that's meant to fit in your glovebox, kayak, backpack, or wherever. You could keep all the whiteboards, markers and one hundred questions in the ten carrying case and it'll weigh less than eight ounces. If you're even more weight conscious than that, you could ditch the carrying case and hold everything together with rubber bands and you're at less than five ounces. If that's still too heavy, then only take one hundred questions, which comes to at less which comes in at less than three ounces. How does that compare to other board games? Well, I weighed some this morning and here's what I learned. Risk weighs three pounds, Life weighs two and a half pounds, and Monopoly weighs two pounds. Even a standard deck of fifty two playing cards weighs four ounces, which is twenty five percent heavier than one hundred questions for Meat Eater Trivia. So I'm declaring this the most backpacking friendly board game on the market. Media or Trivia, the only board game or Conservation always wins, comes out this fall.
Speaker 5: Hey, I've got a question for you, Spencer.
Speaker 1: Do you got Chester?
Speaker 5: Are you guys gonna re up those questions after like a couple of years. Here's my probot with a new.
Speaker 2: Deck in twenty twenty three. We will have the board game comes for sale this fall twenty twenty four. You're going to be getting expansion packs.
Speaker 1: They could be maybe a.
Speaker 2: Specific genre, maybe there for kids or white tails or mountain men that is TBD, or maybe they're just more questions from our four verticals. Nice, that's that's what we're looking at. Brody, Do you take any games with you in the back country as a deck of cards?
Speaker 1: Ever? Made it into your backpack.
Speaker 6: No, yeah, I can't remember ever doing that. But you know, like if I was hount with my kid, like books make an appearance.
Speaker 2: Those cars more than this game, I bet.
Speaker 6: But no, no, generally try not to have that kind of downtime.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much knowledge players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode to eighty seven. The topic was fishing, and nobody got it right. If you know the answer, you can just shout it out. What do you call the hybrid fish that's created by a largemouth pass and smallmouth.
Speaker 1: Bass A mean mouth? You got it, Brody, you didn't get at the time because.
Speaker 5: I remember.
Speaker 6: Back then you were like all excited about this mean mouth world record, which worship because it's just some artificial thing that's made.
Speaker 4: You know. It's like, yeah, is this mean as an angry or mean as an average?
Speaker 2: So that's it. That's a great question. The name was given to them because some biologists had a broodstock pond of meanmouth bass that he saw attack a dog that was swimming in the pond. They're known to be more aggressive than a large mouth and small mouth so mean as an angry kill your dog, average man.
Speaker 5: Sounds like they'd be fun to catch.
Speaker 2: You have to find some chester to tangle with. We have some housekeeping to get to. Daniel Brickey wrote in with a golf term that he believes should be added to the meat Eater trivia lexicon. Here's what he means. The word dormy refers to when a match play golfer is winning by the same number of holes that are left. So if a golfer is up three with three holes to go, then they are dormy. This term is derived from a French word that means to sleep, implying that the player who is dormy can relax. So how does that apply to media to trivia? Well, for example, Randall is winning by one point with one question to go, then he is dormy. The term is a compliment, affirming that the player is winning, but also puts extreme pressure on them to not choke. So going forward, we'll try to call out when a player is dormy to see how clutch they really.
Speaker 6: I think you're gonna run in trouble with that.
Speaker 1: What do you what do you think we're gonna learn?
Speaker 6: I think there'll be some individuals other than myself that are uncomfortable with like that.
Speaker 5: Golf comparison pretty dormant when it comes to try.
Speaker 3: I remember my grandpa when we played cribbage and if you if you lost with your hole at the end of the peg, last peg, you call it dian in the stink hole. So maybe that could be one.
Speaker 4: And that's what feels like.
Speaker 3: I'm familiar with that.
Speaker 2: You know, Randall has been in that stinkhole. Now, come out of your funk yet, what.
Speaker 4: Happened lying awake last night thinking about it?
Speaker 6: It's the cold, sweat all night long, brutal.
Speaker 2: See if we can turn it around today. Now, the Shelby index for today's round is a three and a half, so our winner should get seven correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil.
Speaker 1: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything? How's that? Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 7: Game?
Speaker 2: On Suckers Question one, the topic is hunting. This first great question comes to his fia Jessica Tracy. If you have a question you think is right for med Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the Medeater dot com. The plot hound is the official dog breed of this state? Is it Oklahoma, North Carolina, Alabama, or Ohio?
Speaker 5: Man, Randally, you knew that one.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think I do. I just have a feeling.
Speaker 2: The topic is hunting. The plot hoound is the official dog breed of this state. Your four choices are Oklahoma, North Carolina, Alabama, or Ohio. Brody, are you as confident as Randall?
Speaker 6: Randall said he wasn't call again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me reiterate.
Speaker 2: Question, just making snap judgments. Okay, Ben, how do you feel about your answer here?
Speaker 4: Fifty fifty?
Speaker 2: This is in one of the verticals you declared, is a vertical of yours.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure I've heard.
Speaker 2: We'll see how you do. The plot hoound is the official dog breed of this state. Oklahoma, North Carolina, Alabama, Ohio. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have been saying North Carolina, Hillary saying North Carolina. Chester, you're saying North Carolina, Randall saying North Carolina, Logan saying Alabama, Christine saying Oklahoma. Brody's saying North Carolina. The correct answer is North Carolina. The room.
Speaker 4: Very well, I've got a question.
Speaker 2: What do you got.
Speaker 6: I feel like when I've heard about this dog breed, it's Carolina plot hound. But I could be wrong. I don't remember ever hearing North Carolina plot I remember hearing Carolina plot.
Speaker 2: Well, but what I mean by official dog breed? Like it is a state like this? What's the state fish in Montana? Yellowstone cutthroat or something like that?
Speaker 1: Throat?
Speaker 2: Okay, this this would be the official that should have been a question of North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say averse that has it as a mascot.
Speaker 2: Maybe I think that the University of Tennessee has a coon dog on their sidelines, but I think that might be a bluetick. I nomina have corrections the issue in the future over this now. North Carolina designated the plot hoound as their official state dog breed in nineteen eighty nine. It wasn't until two thousand and six when the American Kennel Club recognized them as a breed, and it wasn't until two thousand and eight when the plot Hoound competed in the Westminster Dog Show. Of the seven recognized coonhounds, they're the only one that didn't descend from a foxhound. Question two, the topic is cooking. Merriam Webster defines this dish as quote a spread of finely chopped or perade seasoned meat. This is the Merriam Webster definition. Come and it is quote a spread of finely chop or perade seasoned meat. The room is not confident, Logan, do you have an answer?
Speaker 1: It's I think so okay? You think you have it right?
Speaker 2: Merriam Webster defines this dish as quote a spread of finely chopped You.
Speaker 6: Got to stop talking.
Speaker 2: Seasoned meat. Brody would like some silence. Is anybody confident in their answer?
Speaker 1: The room is.
Speaker 2: Merriam Webster defines.
Speaker 6: This dim I'm torn torn.
Speaker 2: A spread of finely chopped or purade seasoned meat. How many answers are you torn between?
Speaker 1: Brody?
Speaker 2: You think one of them is definitely right? It is everybody who's going to come up with an answer? Have an answer for a spread of finely chopped or perade seasoned meat. Christine, Oh, so you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm as ready as I will ever be. I would say that as a first time player. The TikTok in the headphones is like so loud.
Speaker 2: And is it is it helping or hurting your your ability?
Speaker 3: It's not helping.
Speaker 6: Just play without your headphones.
Speaker 2: That it's like steroids. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Ben saying liverwurst, Hillary saying tartar. Chest You're saying Pat, Randall saying Pat, Logan saying tartar, Christine saying minced meat. Brody's saying tartar. He crossed out Pat. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Pat.
Speaker 7: Damn it.
Speaker 2: A few folks got it right. This is how Steve Ranella described the appetizer quote. Wild game patae is a fancy dish that turned small odds and ends of meat into pure gold. It's the perfect thing to make as a sophisticated first course when you're hosting a SWANKI you get together to get his recipe, go to the mediater dot com and type in wild game petae.
Speaker 6: I thought it was only made out of liver.
Speaker 2: So close I would.
Speaker 3: Say that the liver worst is a example.
Speaker 2: Perhaps we're going for the question of tartar definition.
Speaker 4: I wrote down pete immediately and then spent the rest of the time trying to think of tartar.
Speaker 2: I will find you the definition of tartar while we're waiting for you to answer question three. The topic is gear. This next great question comes to as via Titus mckenti. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. In optics lingo, the acronym s f P stands for second blank blank. You need to tell me the last two words of the acronym s f P. And this is in the world of optics. Brody, do some filibustering for me while I look up the definition of tartar. What do you got Forrest Brody?
Speaker 6: I don't have anything Like I thought pat ta was like something that was made out of liver, and that question said meat. This is why I put tartar, which is like finally chopped in seasoned meat.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna third that. I was gonna say it was a spread or puree, but that was in the question, so it couldn't be that.
Speaker 6: But I'm not gonna be this cal thing where I'm arguing five questions later.
Speaker 7: Here here is.
Speaker 4: The Merriam webs you did ask him to fill time.
Speaker 2: Here is the Merriam Webster definition of tartar highly seasoned ground meat eaten raw.
Speaker 1: It's that definition is.
Speaker 2: Fifty different than the one that we had for PATA. Now here's the question for three again. In optics lingo, the acronym SFP stands for second blank blank.
Speaker 6: Was that Steve's question or he just weighed.
Speaker 2: Out it was not. That was something he wrote on the website for his rest a pat.
Speaker 5: A though just seems more spreadable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's kind of what I was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the word spread was in the definition.
Speaker 1: I'll read it for you again.
Speaker 2: I remember period is a spread of finely chopped or perade seasoned meat. Is everybody ready to show their answers for question three? Second blank blank? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Ben saying focal point, Hillary saying focal point, Chester's saying second focal point, Randall's saying full plane, Logan saying focal plane, Christine saying faraway point, Brody's saying focal point. The correct answer is focal plane, which rifle got right. Scopes can either be FFP, which is first focal plane, or SFP, which is second focal plane. These terms refer to the placement of a scopes radical. To learn which one is right for you, go to the mediator dot com and read Jordan Siler's article called first focal plane versus second focal plane rifle scopes.
Speaker 6: How are you feeling over there, Randal?
Speaker 4: Pretty good about yourself? Oh? I can't be comfortable until the dust has settled.
Speaker 2: Question four. The topic is conservation. This state's record mule deer, which was poached in two thousand and four, is known as the David Letterman Buck. Oh sorry, guys, here's the question again.
Speaker 7: Ignore what is on the TV.
Speaker 2: Phil is battling through some technical difficulties. Topic is conservation. This state's record mule deer, which was poached in two thousand and four, is known as the David Letterman Buck. I'm gonna have to do without looking at this question on Phil's fancy TV.
Speaker 1: Here it is again.
Speaker 2: This state's which was poached in two thousand and four, is known as the David Letterman Buck. Randall could find himself dormy with four questions to go in this with Brody falling behind early.
Speaker 4: I keep staring at the screen out of habit.
Speaker 2: Yes, somebody asked if you need to name the state. That's the answer I'm looking for. You need to tell me what state had their record mule deer poached in two thousand and four, which is known as the David Letterman Buck.
Speaker 4: How big was that buck?
Speaker 2: We can talk about it in the follow up.
Speaker 5: Effect that.
Speaker 4: One was even.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna be able to tell you about that in the follow up fact toy, that's who shot him?
Speaker 4: Stude?
Speaker 2: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Ben saying Montana, Hillary saying Wisconsin, Chester saying Colorado, Randall's saying Montana, Logan saying Wyoming, Christine saying California, Brody saying Montana.
Speaker 5: Didn't he have a place in Montana?
Speaker 2: The correct answer is Montana. The David Letterman Buck scored just over two hundred and seven inches and has one of the most interesting backstories of any record book deer. Our guest Ben Long wrote about that deer in a twenty twenty three article, Ben, tell folks about how this.
Speaker 3: But I also show how well read it was. Give him the story about right right. The buck was post on a ranch on the Rocky Mound Front is owned by the famous late night talk show host David Letterman why and he.
Speaker 2: He got ed.
Speaker 3: They clear about that David Utterman had nothing to do with it, except that the person who who posts the buck was also charged with conspiracy to kidnap David David Letterman's child, which is what actually led to the to the recovery of the buck. So anyway, can read all about it at.
Speaker 1: The meadeater dot com.
Speaker 2: I want to give a few more details because I love this story so much. He was a painter who was hired by David Letterman to do some work, right yep. And this painter had created a plan to kidnap David Letterman's sixteenth month old son I think, I think a son or daughter plus the nanny, and it was then going to get like a five million dollar ransom. And somebody tattled on this guy, and during the investigation they also uncovered this book that he happened to poach, which is the Montana Record.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was ever convicted of kidnapping. I was charged with conspiracy kidnapping and charge of possession of the deer of an illegally taken animal. But he served his prison time, escape from prison, went back to prison, and is now released because he served his you know, his time.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite stories on our website. Question five, the topic is fishing. This company with a rhyming name sells, quote the original soft plastic curly tail lure. This company with a rhyming name sells the original soft plastic curly tail lure. That is a quote from their website, the original soft plastic curly tail lure. Brody is very confident. The rest of the room not so much.
Speaker 1: Chester.
Speaker 2: Do you have this one right?
Speaker 5: Well? I thing popped in my head next to you. I don't have anything written down popped in my head immediately, but I do have some second thoughts about it, so I'm giving it just a little more thought.
Speaker 2: This company with a rhyming name sells the original soft plastic curly tail lure. Randall's Humunculous has found it. You think you have this one right now?
Speaker 4: Actually I'm second now. I'm wondering if I'm just making this up. Let's find out its rhyming and not not alliteration.
Speaker 2: And the question is the question just looking for clarification. Brody, you one hundred percent have this right.
Speaker 6: I will throw myself off a cliff if I.
Speaker 2: That is confidence. It's everybody who's going to come up with an answer, have an answer for the company with a rhyming name.
Speaker 1: Chester.
Speaker 2: You have an answer, but you're not sure if it's the right answer.
Speaker 5: I don't think it's right.
Speaker 2: Okay, does it rhyme?
Speaker 5: I mean no?
Speaker 2: Then that it's not right either. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have been saying squirmy without an answer, Chester, I can't see your board, Chester, He says, twistertail. He went for alliteration. Randall saying mister twister, Logan saying big bass baits. Christine is saying swim gym, which I love. Christine. That's not right. That's a good answer, Brodie's saying mister twister. Him and Randall got it. It is mister twister.
Speaker 4: I said you.
Speaker 3: Anybody who could come up with a rhyme under pressure should get a half a point.
Speaker 5: Dude, I hate this game.
Speaker 2: Rick Well created the first curly tail grub in nineteen seventy five. He said that before that most soft plastics lacked life like action, so he created a four inch grub with a tail that moved on its own. With billions sold, it's one of the most popular a phishing lures of all time. Phil, we are halfway through the game of trivia. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 7: You got Christine yet to make an impression on the scoreboard zero points, Logan and Hillary have one point apiece, Chester, Ben and Brody Henderson all have two points, and Man just miles ahead of everyone else with a perfect game. Rand williams, kay, I don't do what we want to remind that.
Speaker 2: They got Montana. Did you get North Carolina? Yeah, he got North Carolina.
Speaker 7: I missed the North Carolina one. I'm not having a rough go of it as I apologize.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's got so sorry.
Speaker 4: Brody has three.
Speaker 7: Randall is still two points ahead.
Speaker 4: Brody. That feels good, though there's the pressure.
Speaker 2: Uh. Randall would prefer he'd prefer to win by two than three. Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 6: Question helper back, there is gonna have to start and keeping score.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it would be a huge help. Question six. The topic is public Lands. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Hunter Payne for sending this great question. Hunter is going to get a book signed by Steve name. Two of the four states that are over sixty percent federal land. Confident Brody, Ben, and Randall Again, I need you to name two of the four states that are over sixty percent federal land. Brody, do you think you have one in two? Is that how confident you are?
Speaker 6: That's a good question. I think so probably, Ben, Like as far as acreage or percentage.
Speaker 2: Percent, I need you to name two of the four states that are old.
Speaker 6: But you're asking if I have sixty.
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 1: Ben.
Speaker 2: How confident are you?
Speaker 1: And your answer?
Speaker 3: I'm feel good about it?
Speaker 1: Feeling good, Randall?
Speaker 4: Pretty good, feeling pretty good.
Speaker 2: Those three treated it like a race, guessing they have it right. Brody, whin's the last time you fished with a Mister Twister curly tail grub.
Speaker 4: Two a weekend?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah? How to go for you? Perch? Liked it ever?
Speaker 6: Anything on that any fish in the world.
Speaker 1: That's right? Man.
Speaker 4: It's funny that answer popped into my head and I thought, ah, and then immediately doubt. Oh it just my all my confidence vanished.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I couldn't think of that, Randall, I have or excuse me, Chester, I have a feeling your tackle box has a lot of mister Twister. Yeah tails in it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I I just call them like twister tails. I'm like a little grub, you know, twister tails.
Speaker 2: But does everybody have an answer to answers for two of the four states that are over sixty percent federal land, Hillary, are you ready go ahead and reveal your answers? We have been saying Alaska, Nevada, Hillary saying Wyoming, North Dakota, Chester saying Alaska, Wyoming. Randall's saying Wyoming, Nevada, Logan saying Montana, Idaho, Christine saying Wyoming, Idaho, Brody saying Idaho, Alaska. The four states are Nevada, Utah, Idaho, and Alaska. A few folks got tripped up with a few folks got it right. At eighty five percent, Nevada leads the country in percentage of land that's federally owned. That's followed by Utah at sixty five percent, Idaho at sixty two percent, and Alaska at sixty one percent. Just missing out of the top four are Oregon at fifty three percent, Wyoming at forty eight percent, California at forty six percent, in Arizona at thirty nine percent.
Speaker 3: Can I just take a moment to see yet? Can I just enjoy the moment of being you know, both Randel and Brody at that question, because that might be my high point of the game.
Speaker 2: He did, well, I don't know. We'll learn Alaska. A few folks said that Alaska would be the gimme, and then you'd be choosing from one of three after that.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Question seven, the topic is hunting. What measurement is multiplied by ten when scoring a turkey for the n w t F Record Books. What measurement is multiplied by ten when scoring a turkey for the n w t F Record Books. A confident Ben, rest of the room, not so confident, Logan, do you know this one?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: Have you ever wrote on a turkey?
Speaker 1: Part? Okay?
Speaker 2: Have you ever killed a turkey?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this past year.
Speaker 2: I killed my friend one very good. Did you score it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, Brody would have said that's the wrong answer if you said yes.
Speaker 6: So I don't even scoring turkeys.
Speaker 2: What measurement is multiplied by ten when scoring a turkey for the NWTF Record Books? I know, just Brody has not yet come up with an answer.
Speaker 6: A lot of parts on a turkey?
Speaker 2: And this is question seven, Randall, do you know this one, or are you guessing.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing there are only so many parts of a turkey that I'm familiar with measuring. Okay, I've not killed a turkey. I'm not a big turkey guy. Okay, turkey season is bear hunting season.
Speaker 2: Brody, I think we're waiting on you. Do you have an answer? Is everybody ready? Hillary? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have been saying spur length, Hillary, I can't see your board. Hillary is saying tail span, Chester saying spur l length, Randall saying beard length, Logan saying spurs, Christine saying beard length. Brody's saying spurs. The correct answer is spur length. If you just said spur we will give it to you. Turkeys are scored using three measurements weight, beard length, and spur length. The weight is multiplied by one, the beard is multiplied by two, and the spurs are multiplied by ten. To see this process, go to the mediat dot com and watch Clay Newcomb's video called how to score a Turkey. Question eight. The topic is fishing. This ten letter word describes a juvenile fish that's roughly the size of a human body part. The topic is phishing. This is question eight. We have three questions left and we will get a scoreboard update from Fill the engineer after this. This ten letter word describe he is a juvenile fish that's roughly the size of a human body part. Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: That's that's confidence. No wavering on his end. Ben, you are also quick to answer, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I have to start with a five letter word, but not to ten letter words. I think I'm good.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brody is thinking hard. If he doesn't get this right, that may be the ballgame, but we will. We will find out from Phil after this.
Speaker 4: You guys talk.
Speaker 2: Amongst This ten letter word describes a juvenile fish that's roughly the size of a human body part. Ben and Randall may be the only ones who get this one right. What are we communicating about over there? We're doing some winking, We're doing some scorekeeping.
Speaker 7: Okay, I've just made so many small mistakes today that I'm second guessing everything I'm doing over here. Points.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've noticed a few people in the room will actually keep their own score on their white bod, which is is good. That can be h the backup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh, I might be counting that, might be counting this as a correct answer.
Speaker 2: Now, Brody just came up with an answer that he's quite satisfied with. He had sort of an evil laugh. Uh, do you think you have it right now? His ten letter word describes a juvenile fish that's roughly the size of a human body part. Was staring at the whole time. Is everybody? Is everybody ready? Chester waving the white flag? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have been saying fingerling, Hillary without an answer, Chester without an answer, Randall saying fingerling, Logan and Christine without an answer. Brody saying fingerling.
Speaker 1: They got it.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is fingerling. At the fingerling stage, most fish species are about the lane of a human finger. When they reach this size, they've developed the majority of their protective scales and fins. Although fingerling fish resemble an adult, they have not yet achieved sexual maturity. Phil, where does the leaderboard stand? With two questions to go, Well, we have.
Speaker 7: To say goodbye to Christine, Hillary, Logan, and Chester, but we've got our guest Ben with five points and then tied up in first place are Randall and Brody with six ah and.
Speaker 2: I wish I could have that path take question now, we have some questionable scorekeeping in Randall's mind.
Speaker 1: Over there, Randall, what do you think?
Speaker 4: No, no, I think we're that Yeah, we're.
Speaker 2: Tied tied with six?
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, well.
Speaker 4: Did you get all three of the past.
Speaker 2: Do we need to do a review now? That would that help everybody?
Speaker 4: I had the score wrong in my mind. I shan't be writing it down.
Speaker 2: Question nine. The topic is wildlife. This next great question comes to is via Paul s. If you have a question you think right for meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. Minnesota Is official state bird, which is often misidentified as a duck, is one of the only birds in North America with solid bones. Right, that is right. Minnesota's official state bird, which is often misidentified as a duck, is one of the only birds in North America with solid bones.
Speaker 6: You need to elaborate at all on this one, Spencer.
Speaker 2: If you think the answer is a largemouth bass, you could just say a bass.
Speaker 1: That's what I was looking for.
Speaker 2: Some quick answers in the room, and this is question nine. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have been saying loon Hillary without an answer, Chester saying loon, Randall saying lune, Logan's saying crane, Christine saying lun, Brody saying lon.
Speaker 3: I gotta do my Steve imitation. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is loon. Loom did very well. Lons have solid bones so that they are less buoyant and can better dive underwater. This helps them acquire some of their favorite foods like fish, crawdads, shrimp, and crabs. Some other birds with solid bones include penguins, puffins, and EMUs. Now, Brody, I noticed you first wrote down merganzer. You had a change of heart.
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 6: I just jumped the gun.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll just point out that thing.
Speaker 3: So I said common loon, which is the official bird of months of Minnesota, and there's like Arctic loons, yellow bill loons in red Well.
Speaker 2: We had a clarification. I said, you didn't have to be that splotish.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm you.
Speaker 2: You nailed it, dead nuts, Phil, We have one question left. Who's left in the game.
Speaker 7: Oh, it's the same place we were in last last scorekeeping call. We've got Ben with six and then Randal and Brody still tied up with seven points apiece.
Speaker 2: Question ten down to the wire. The topic is cooking. What countries cuisine are fuh and bon me from? Very confident room? What countries cuisine are Fu and bon me from? Looks like we will be going to overtime. The confidence that Randall and Brody have what countries cuisine are Fhu and bond me from? Chess are doing some racing, So it's Ben that's I feel this is question ten. Brody is doing some second guessing.
Speaker 1: I'm questioning it now.
Speaker 2: Everyone's racing now Randall. Randall is confident. Oh, Brody is going to leave his answer.
Speaker 1: I'm just it's okay.
Speaker 2: Well, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Ben saying Vietnam. Hillary's saying Vietnam.
Speaker 5: Chess island chests.
Speaker 2: You're saying Thailand didn't want to show us, Randall's saying Vietnam, Logan saying Vietnam, Christine saying Thailand, Brody saying Vietnam. The correct answer is Vietnam. The room did pretty well. Fa is the most famous Vietnamese meal. It's a rice noodle soup that's made with broth, meat, and herbs. Bond me is also known as a Vietnamese baguette. It's an airy piece of bread that's split lengthwise and filled with meat and veggies. The media dot com has wild game recipes for both With that, we're going to overtime between Brody and Randall. Play the drop, Phil, how they.
Speaker 7: Just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like go to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 7: I never liked it a Phil goff Man.
Speaker 2: The tie breaking topic is woodsmanship. According to the National Weather Service, what percentage of American lightning strike victims are male? This is a numerical question. Whoever is closest between Brody and Randall will be declared the winner. The rest of the room will play along, though in case they hit it right on the nose and we can add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game.
Speaker 6: Are you looking for a decimalness?
Speaker 2: Go to a decimal point to one decimal point. It's a great question, Brody. According to the National Weather Service, what percentage of American lightning strike victims are male? Randal, how does your attitude in this tie breaking round compared to last week.
Speaker 4: I mean last week. I had already checked out meal. In fact, I knew the answer wasn't correct because the question was asked in the past tense, and I gave a date in the future.
Speaker 2: You even correctly called me out on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had. I mean, I just wanted to put my head down on the table.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 4: I it's a.
Speaker 2: Toss up, right according to the National Weather Service, what percentage of American lightning strike victims are male. We're down to Randall and Brody, who each got what was it seven correct answers?
Speaker 1: Or was it eight?
Speaker 2: It was eight eight correct answers. It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Ben is saying eighty four point five, Hillary saying chess, You're saying ninety four percent. Logan is saying eighty seven point five percent, Christine is saying seventy five point four percent, Brody's saying seventy three point two. Randal saying seventy three point nine. Good thing. When we went to the decimal points, they're within point seven points of each other, two pointo point six point seven points of each other. The correct answer is seventy nine percent, making winner well done, Randal, eight correct answers. You were close on the tie breaking answer. What a performance? How does it feel, Randal?
Speaker 4: You know, if to be honest, I'm still I'm still overcoming last week's tragedy.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: But it feels good. It's good to be back in the game. Kind of clear my mind, little confidence back camp. I'm not a total failure.
Speaker 2: Seventy nine percent of lightning strike victims are male. This is because men participate in more high risk activities like fishing, hunting, hike, and camping. Both of you were right in the ballpark, though, Randall, you get to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from met eater goes. So what's it going to be?
Speaker 4: I would like the five hundred dollars to go to the Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance, which is a nonprofit group based here in Montana that organizes, among other things, a bunch of citizens science goat counts to help biologists and state agencies better understand the population on the landscape. And I've participated in some of their accounts in the past and it's always a good time. And what mountain range I was actually the first one I went to was in the Black Hills.
Speaker 2: Oh Wyoming or South Dakota, South Dakota.
Speaker 1: Did you find any Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we saw quite a few and it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Very good Randall, the winner of today's episode of Mediatter Trivia. Ben, thank you for joining us. Your book is out right now. Hunter and angler Field Guide to Raising Hell. Did that go about how you expect it to go?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I would just like to point out that when I said my granda if I was playing cribbage with my grandpa right now, he said, sorry, Ben, you died in the stinkhole right I had a good time doing it for me.
Speaker 2: Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.