Speaker 1: Everybody is Bill Courtney with an army in normal folks. And we continue now a part two of our conversation with doctor Ashley Cross right after these brief messages from our generous sponsors. All right, so that's the crisis intervention part. What else?
Speaker 2: We have the care Portal, which is one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: I love the.
Speaker 3: Care Portal for our listeners who haven't heardress for.
Speaker 2: You know, the care Portal is a platform that DHS workers as well as in our community. Now we've world it out to some of the higher CPS reporting schools and a charter school and so it allows for child welfare workers and other helping professionals to communicate needs in real time to the community. We have twenty four churches and that are collectively made up about six hundred responders that at any given day they're receiving emails.
Speaker 1: So if a kid's in crisis and needs something, yeah, and there's no resources for it, and go to the US post it on care portal. Yeah. And all you have to do is have the care Portal on your phone and when you see a need that you can fill, you fill it.
Speaker 2: And it's normal folks doing it.
Speaker 1: That's right, normal folks, the easiest way to know that legitimately, whatever you can give is actually going directly to the service of somebody needs help. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they're all vetted needs, right, So these are not people who can put their own needs into the care Portal. It's vetted by a professional who's working with the families. And we've been running that initiative for eight years. We've served about twenty five hundred children and how to more than one million dollar economic impact in Monroe County. But recently what we've done is we realized that the care Portal has been used to reduce the number of removals to children and foster care, which is amazing. It's amazing. But what it got me thinking about was we've started this initiative that's really focusing on narrowing the front door to child protective services, which is very different than where I started my career. My career really started with foster care. We need more foster families. These kids need families. One day at down Dummuth, many of these kids have families who really loved them and lost them because they could not afford them right, lost them because they were navigating poverty and to me, it's a huge injustice for a family to be separated because their basic needs haven't been met, because again we're talking about generational poverty. And so I said, well, if the care Portal can reduce the number of removals, then the care Portal can also reduce the number of calls made to the state Central Registry by mandate reporters for issues that are not abuse but more neglected to poverty. So that's why we're now, we're using the care Portal to help narrow the front door to child protective services.
Speaker 1: Care Portal says that seventy six percent of child welfare cases stem from neglect link to poverty, not abuse. Yep, in our seventy would have fault. I know it was not poverty, it was abuse and fighting in the home and all of the stuff that we expect. But care Portal says seventy six percent of child welfare cases stem from not from the neglect from abuse, but just simple poverty seventy three quarters. So what you're saying is let's keep kids out of foster care in the first place by supporting them where they are with their families, which I think when I read that, I was like, yeah, and there's a few things. It was a light bulb.
Speaker 2: Moment for me too. Seven thousand calls to go to that are in our community each year, seventy five percent unsubstantiated, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yep? And the highest seventy unsubstantiated. Yep. That's so interesting.
Speaker 2: So when I look at okay, well, what are the highest reports by allegation? Right, why are these kids coming to the attention of child welfare? Inadequate guardianship, lack of food, clothing, and shelter. What is lack of food, clothing and shelter that already poverty? Educational neglect. Kids aren't going to school? Why aren't they going to school? Right? Why aren't they going to It depends. That's a good question we're learning. We're in the middle of a pilot right now, and younger kids who don't go to school is almost always tied to poverty. Right, parents, transportation, kids missed the bus, it's hard to get them to school. Older kids staying back to watch younger siblings because mom can't afford childcare, because child aware is expensive. We've also found illness right, a sick parent that a kid feels responsible to stay home to watch and to help. But then we're also finding with our older kids it's actually like they're refusing to go to school because they don't see the point of it.
Speaker 1: I see you talk about a lack of hope.
Speaker 2: Yep, we have a kid that won't get out of bed because they're like, I'm so far behind, I'll never catch up, ever going to catch up. I'm never going to catch up, which is hopeless. Or we have young people who have unmat mental health issues and school feels chaotic to them. They're like the thought of walking through that door it makes me want to have a panic, like I just I can't do it. So we're seeing increased mental health challenges in our young people since COVID, nobody's addressed that, right, So these kids were isolated for years and now we're like go back to school, and our school district just cut. I think almost half of the social workers in schools. So again earlier when I said, you get that twenty six year old and you have to say, okay, there's some systems that it failed. When I look at our young people and I see their behaviors, and I see the media and social media and all of us pointing fingers at young people. I get it, accountability is needed. But I'm also looking back and I'm saying, but you guys just cut all the social workers. You just cut social workers, right, We're not investing in mental health at all.
Speaker 1: Well, and the other thing is if you're dealing with all of that as a kid. Back to the original overarching picture that I hope our listeners get. No amount of grit can help an eight year old overcome that. No, none, no, And I can see it. I can see a sick parent. I also wonder, and you said you started a pilot. I'd be very interested to find out if young teenagers avoid school that are locked in poverty because they're embarrassed about their food, what they're wearing, their hair, and just their general appearance and ability to show up and feel less than.
Speaker 2: We had a young lady who wasn't going to school because she couldn't her parents could afford hygiene issue hygiene stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a real.
Speaker 2: Thing, yeap, And can you blame her?
Speaker 1: I go back to when I was thirteen to school.
Speaker 2: Some kids are just not nice and social media, so I come to school and not looking my best, and that'd be the day that somebody takes a picture and it goes viral, like you have all these pressure.
Speaker 1: Man, if you are ragged and stincty, you don't need anybody to tell you, you know, you know, yeah, and you already have a have a self conscious of it. Yeah, yeah, I can see all of that. And again that's all linked back to poverty. And so what you're saying is, let's let's stop it in the home with the family before it becomes a foster care situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think one challenge is, you know, there's this this thought that if you're living in poverty, it's because there's a lack of trying or lack of effort, right, because you.
Speaker 1: On behalf of the right.
Speaker 2: So it's it's if you're if you're poor, it's because you're not you're not working.
Speaker 1: Hard or nothing, you're not trying, And I'm like, lazy.
Speaker 2: Do you know the people that I know living in poverty are some of the hardest workers I know. They're working sixty hours, seventy hours a week, two three jobs, catching one bus to this bus to this bus, dragging three year old to daycare, going They're very hard workers. And so it's not that they have a there's a lack of trying.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We're talking about generations of poverty. And I always say, you know, it's so easy to look at a parent and say, why did they make that that choice that bad, that bad decision that landed their kid and foster. Can I can say, well, they actually did not have a good choice to choose, Like there wasn't like out of all of the choices that they had, their.
Speaker 1: Was it It was just the least worst, get the least worst.
Speaker 2: Right, leave my child with my boyfriend that I you know, barely know, leaven with the neighbor that I barely know, miswork, and risk losing my job, Like none of those are good options, but I got to choose one of those three.
Speaker 1: So this diverse from your level of expertise, I think, but it does speak to I mean, it's part of the picture, I think is that I hear what you're saying, and I know many of these people. I have people that work for me that in Memphis fifteen dollars an hour is let me, let me set this up for you. I don't know our listeners are listening, but we are now straight up in a chat. Even me, Okay, I remember when President Obama. It was years ago, probably ten, but he it was in a speech, and I was half assed paying attention to him. To be honest with you, I was in my den doing something, working at night, but listening to the TV, and in a speech he said something about the poverty level is this, and if you don't make I think at that time it was eleven dollars and twenty five cents an hour, you are officially going to be in poverty. And nobody should work forty hours a week and live in poverty. That is not the social construct of America. And at that time, this is again years ago. At that time I did. I was starting people at nine to fifty an hour in the most laborious positions I had, and if they made it thirty days, I got them up to ten. But then I thought, I'm an employer with a business and I have people. They're they're holding up there into the bargain of the American construct. They're working forty hours, they're doing their they're not out robbing people doing anything. They're working, and I'm not paying them enough to stay out of poverty. And it never dawned on me as a business owner, and I went to work the next day and literally raised every single body up to a quarter over whatever that number was. President Obama said, I could not look myself in the mirror and know I had hard working people working for me forty hours, and I, as an employer, was not giving them a wage to keep them out of poverty. I did that. That's a real thing. Fast forward today, I have people that work for me making fifteen dollars an hour, which by that whole metric is two dollars an hour over in Memphis what poverty level is. So as an employer, I'm trying to do my part. Profits are necessary measure of any businesses, it says. And as much as I'd like to pay everybody a whole bunch of money, I still got to put money on the bottom line. I answered to a bank that I owe money to know if you could say this or not.
Speaker 3: But it's a low margin business. I don't know if you're open to saying the percentage, but it's not some businesses there's a lot of margin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my business is a low margin business. It's a high volume, low marching business. It's manufacturing, it's commodities, there's all kinds of variables, will make real good money one month, and thirty days later we'll lose that money again because of the commoditized nature of my business. But all I'm trying to say to you is, before I say what I'm saying, I get what hourly wage looks like because I employ a lot of them, and I have tried to do the right thing, all right. However, I know that somebody making fifteen dollars an hour is still struggling. Yeah, And I have people that work for me that do that all day at my place, go take a couple hours off, and then they go work in a kitchen at a restaurant for another four or five hours, and they're doing that to pay the rent and make ends meet. And I do wonder what their children are doing, you know, I do. I wonder. And I know that I have people that work for me that have the least worst decision to make when things get tough, and I know there's no way they have in savings ninety days worth of an emergency fund, and so they are always living, even if they're not in poverty, they're always living just on the cusp of it. But as a business owner, I also have to make money for our company, So I can't just automatically raise everybody up, so those issues don't So that to me is where the conflux of you know, here's the question what do we do? Because I can't do it all as a business owner, although my heart wants me to. There is a reality of owning a business, right And I tried to pay fair wages and I listen to my president and I did do the things that I needed to do to at least make sure at the very minimum no one worked for me was earning below the poverty level. But the same respect, I know it's really not enough for a lot of folks. Yeah, so as a society, now you know, and again I know this is kind of off, but I do think because of your experience, you see the people affected by these issues as a society, have you have you thought about or got your arms around the true fact is there's just always going to be people trying to get up and that don't And it seems like such a difficult issue.
Speaker 2: It is it is, But you know what, I think that that is the beauty of what Agape is doing right with trying to get an entire community to focus on hope. Because I think that what happens is it's so easy to just say, okay, we need every business owner to increase minimum wage, go past the threshold for minimum wage. And I think that that's a start. But people who are living in deep poverty, they need communities of people all doing a little bit of something that helps change their condition. It starts off with their employer doing the right thing, right, but it also moves into so many other pieces of from you know, obviously policy, and all kind of other things that would impact their conditions. It doesn't just start with one. It starts with us looking at schools and rec centers that can have safe spaces for kids so that when parents are working, they have good options of where to send their children.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It starts off with us having conversations around how expensive childcare is.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It starts with us ensuring that even employers are investing in their people, like trying to create ways for people to increase their skills so that they can move up and not always have to be at the same position that they're in. I think that there are so many ways to think about it, and it's not just an easy thing to solve. I think if it was that easy you would have had somebody do it a decade ago, probably so many decades ago, right, But I think that if you have a bunch of people who at least care the way that you care to say, Okay, what can I do? Like if everybody just says what can I do.
Speaker 1: It? We'll be fun. That's the whole idea about it, right, it really is.
Speaker 2: And so I think that that it goes right back to you know, but I guess.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying is that person who this all started with some of the hardest working people you know, were forty sixty hours and despite it, are still right on that poverty level, and as a result, their kids end up being in this at risk group. Right oftentimes not always, but sometimes how do they have hope? If you're working yours off at two jobs six hours a week and you're still barely keeping your head above water, and you know that your children aren't getting everything they need, you know, that feels pretty hopeless to me, And I just you know, how do we help them have hope?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: One as a mom myself, right, I think every parent finds some level of hope and inspiration in the achievement of our children.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good point. It's so true.
Speaker 2: Like there's nothing more than I want than for my children to life. I don't mind, while at the same time, I do want someone to acknowledge that outside of being a mom, I'm Ashley, and before actually became a mom, actually had goals and aspirations and dreams, and so they need they need community too, right, Like mom needs someone to say I remember five years ago you were saying you wanted to go back and get your associates. When are we going to do that? What's it going to take to get you there? I know you're working sixty hours. What is it that you want?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Can you start taking a class this summer? All right? How much debt do you have? How can we pay this off? Can you talk to like it's and I mean it's not easy, but it's at least acknowledging that I see you. I know that this is not everything that you want for your life to be. How can we start working for you to get there? One thing that I love about the hope theory and in Hope Rising, you have the Hope scale, but you also have family hope right like you can how do you increase hope in all and a collective and a unit right, a team of people. And so I really do believe that when young people have the support that they need and their hope starts to rise. Did it frees family and parents up to say, Okay, now I know my child has the support that they need, that it's not just me. Like, one of the things that helps my hope is to know that my kids are loved by so many other people than just me. So I can be here Mephis with you today because my kids are taken care of. And this is something that I'm passionate about that I love. So I don't feel like I'm having to sacrifice my dreams for my children because we have a village.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: One thing you're doing, Ashley directly on this in terms of a village and hope is I love the mentoring model of multiple people around a kid. If you want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's a model that actually came out of Oklahoma's standard. The Gap Ministries has a life Launch program and I actually worked a life Launch program when I lived in Oklahoma, came to Rochester and wanted to continue that. And it's a group mentorship program for system impacted youth. And the reason we do that is because some young people are can handle the one on one. Many young people, because there's such a deficit of relationships in their life, they need more than one person, so we do group mentorship. So I'll give you an example. Me, my husband, and my mom. We've been mentoring a twenty year old young man who is preparing to age out of foster care for the past two years. And it's great because he gets three people who are all very different that he can talk to about different things. He talks to my husband about things that he won't talk to me about talk about, right, He talks to me about things that he's like, I'm talking to Melvin about this yet, or you know. And then my mom brings like the grandma, feel like she's the grandmother of But he graduated two weeks ago. No one was there but our family. He wanted my three year old there, the five year old that he wanted the whole family to be there to watch him graduate. And we tripled his social capital. Yeah, just by one connection, right, you know. I love mentorship. I love one on one mentorship, but many of the world.
Speaker 1: Hits him in the mouth, he at least knows he.
Speaker 2: Can call you, and it has it has hit him right, and we've showed up. And I mean, and we've also learned a lot from him. Like I think that that's also a thing. Sometimes we go in just thinking that we're saving these kids and we do not realize like we can actually learn a lot from them.
Speaker 1: If people listening to this were watching this, it was funny. You're you're affect and your face changed when you talked about him. Yeah you brightened up. Yeah, yeah, you got a whole lot less serious and put a small on your face when you're talking about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, he's him as well as I mean, my oldest daughter. I think when I think of stories like these are people who mean a lot to me. So it's not just a case study. Is not just like these. He's family. You know, my daughter Jordan, that's that's she's as much as my daughter is the babies that our birth right. And I'm just I think I smiled thinking about him because when we met him two years ago, he was just he was an incredibly guarded kid, lived in a group home, had a very negative experience in that group home. And I've watched us. To me, I feel like we've provided him the bare minimal. I don't think we've done anything substantial for the camp to show up, and just watching just us showing up has significant. I mean it's changed his life. It's it's giving them hope.
Speaker 1: Is that simple? I don't think we've done anything groundbreaking. What was your grandmother? What'd you call your ground Oh?
Speaker 2: My gosh, I call her nanny. It's actually her birthday today?
Speaker 1: Is she still nanny?
Speaker 2: That's my grandma? Yep, nanny.
Speaker 1: I can't help but think that. I mean, we got more to go over, but maybe a weird place to even ask it. I should have asked it earlier. But all this started.
Speaker 2: With her, it did it?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 2: I actually am doctor nanny?
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor nanny. Listen.
Speaker 2: I preached on Sunday at this church and it was about you preach. Yeah, you're also my husband.
Speaker 1: I passed her at church and everything else. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I taught a sermon called close Enough to Touch, and I was talking about how Jesus healed the man with leprosy and he chose to touch him. And I was talking about the ministry. Transformation really happens in proximity when we can get close enough to touch someone's pain, we can we can really challenge our perceptions and typically a lot of times our biases around who these people are. But I talked about my grandmother how she started foster. My grandmother has fostered fifty boys. What fifty boys? And it wasn't just any type of boys. My grandmother I have a I got to interview her, probably fifteen years ago now, and I learned a lot about my grandmother's fostering journey. And she took boys that no one else would take, boys coming straight at at the detention center. She was like, there was times like I had closed my door after the police dropped a boy off, and I put a chair under my door. I'm like, oh, I just.
Speaker 1: Hoped was there any looms left on the street in the backyard.
Speaker 2: But I used to watch those boys protect my grandma like they love and they still come around, Like many of these boys, I mean they have been their forties and some in their fifties down they still come around for Thanksgiving. They're gonna call her today on her birthday. So she fostered over fifty boys. Then she started a child placement agency, recruited fifty six foster for years.
Speaker 1: Are we talking?
Speaker 2: I was in elementary school. They sent me pictures of our placenic So I mean we're talking the nineteen ninety probably two, nineteen ninety three. Wow, And my grandmother would recruit, train, and support foster families.
Speaker 1: Was your grandmother holly educated?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 1: She was in life Nope, nope.
Speaker 2: So she was just our grandmother probably has a the high.
Speaker 1: School diploma, maybe maybe maybe maybe what a phenomenal woman.
Speaker 2: Seventeen years she ran that child placement agency. She started a child That's where I got so again going back to Hope. The reason that I know the power that I have is because I watched a woman build like hold five eight five, everything I've put my hands to that I know that God has called me to do. I watched someone else do it before me.
Speaker 1: Now, I used the woman who that grip.
Speaker 2: That you talk about, grit, grittiest woman I know. And I used to spend my summer else she is. I used to spend my summers at that child placement agency. I was her secretary. I used to pick up the phone and answer the calls and leave the sticky note and tell us who to call back. I mean we I spend my summers at the food at the food bank, loading up the van so she could take food to the foster families who are taking kids in.
Speaker 1: I've watched, my girl, I've watched. I don't want to know your grandma.
Speaker 2: And not only did my grandmother do it, all of my aunts and uncles have been foster parents, her children, all of her children have done foster.
Speaker 1: Care, as well as your mom, as well.
Speaker 2: As my mom yep, yep, as well as my mom. My mom moved to Rochester. My dad still does foster care. My parents are divorced now, but they both still well. My mom doesn't do it anymore. My father still does foster care. But everybody in my family. I mean, you got to think our Thanksgivings and Christmases for diverse group of group of people.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 2: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I bet they're on enough T shirts for your family reunion. Not at all.
Speaker 2: My grandmother, She's touched so many people, including me. I mean, but I always just say that I'm I'm just living out her legacy. She she gave me something to see, and she gave me something to She gave me vision.
Speaker 1: Right, if you don't believe in the power of an army in normal folks. Understand, that's what your grandmother was. She was a normal person, not overly educated, but she had a passion and a desire and saw in the area need and filled it. And now three generations later, all of what we're talking about comes basically from her. Yeah, yep, that is beautiful, man. I mean it really kind of chokes me up thinking about it. I mean, what what a legacy? Yeah, from just a normal person said I see need, no'm my fella.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a normal person that made it. I mean it was. It was just a contagious environment to be in. If you were around my grandmother, you were full of you were gonna leave, ready to do something. You were going to I mean, and uncles, they put their jobs, it came and worked for her. It was you talk about it. I used to walk. I used to love it. I loved being there in the summertime, we were all just doing stuff. I watched my mom sit at a table printing binders to train foster families and going in to do home visits, and it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: Please tell me. On top of everything else, she can cook good.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, she can't.
Speaker 1: Oh you know, I got a mental picture. I know that woman could cook.
Speaker 2: She could cook, and she is just the sweetest. I mean, she's amazing my herold for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's a powerful saying that relationships move at the speed of trust, which sounds exactly like your relationship with Child Productive Services. Kind of tell us about that because child prospective services. Let's just be fair, I think the vast majority of people that work in child productive services are really well intentioned, good people, but they are the government, and typically they are overworked, and typically they can never do one of what they need to do. And because they're overwhelmed, and typically it's one person way overwhelmed with case studies, things get fall through the cracks, and as a result, when you hear child protective Services when they get a bad rap in two, it's almost like the police when Child Protective Services called, somebody's losing their family, and as a result, nobody even wants to have a relationship with them. They're like Darth Vader. But you have a relationship with Child Protective Services and have fostered a relationship that doesn't look like what I just described as Yeah, yeah, you know, I.
Speaker 2: The past two years have been really I've had to sit with myself a lot because the work that we do at Whole five eighty five, and the work that I really believe that God has called me to do, is what I would say, leading from the middle, right, how do I connect with system leaders in a way that holds some accountable questions how and why they do the things that they do, but stay connected to them. And it's really important, right because the leaders of many of these systems, to your point, well intentioned people who really do care about children to families, but they're also they're held by a standard that the systems created, right, I always tell them, like guys, when I say systems have felt people, I'm not talking about the people in the system. I'm actually talking about the system. It's the way that you are forced to function, many.
Speaker 1: Of which were designed by well intentioned people sometimes four five and six decades ago, and the systems hadn't changed when culture has and they no longer fit. But we're still shoving those systems down our culture's throat.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And there's I mean, we could go back to decades of policies that started off well that nobody's analyzed and three decades and things have changed. It's like, well, actually that the policy is creating more harm than good for people now. But the other piece of leading in the middle is the group that I have to prioritize trusting our organization is the community. So how do you maintain trust with the community who don't necessarily trust this services?
Speaker 1: And that's what I mean communing when they hear that they like lock the.
Speaker 2: Door, they lock the doors. And the way that I can only do that is by leading from the middle and being a truth teller and being a truth teller in a way that is true to lived experience the people who are saying this is what I experienced, This is how Child Protective Services has harmed me and my family. While also working with the leaders there to say how can we work together to address these Not pointing any fingers, but this is the experience, and I've learned some heart lessons that have challenged me and how I do that. But I do work very closely with our county, but I'm also prioritizing the voice of the community.
Speaker 1: Do you find that if you approach it the right way, that even inside the construct of all of these big, top down, systematic government services that you can make change.
Speaker 2: My hope centered approach would be yes. I think over the years, I have come to realize that systems are really hard to change, and so do I want to put more energy into preventing children and families from coming in contact with the system in the first place. Because once you're in a system, you're a tangle.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite sayings. We can keep pulling kids all the river all we want to, but eventually we need to go upstream and find out.
Speaker 2: Upstream, right, because once they're in the river, it's like God, they're drowning, and it takes so many resources and people, and and then once you even pull them out, there's still traumatized from the experience of drowning. You got to remember, they were still on that river and they were drowning, and they're traumatized. So why not just stop them from falling in in the first place? And so I just I don't know that I want to spend the bulk of my career trying to change the system.
Speaker 1: But at least you keep a reasonable relationship with it. Correct.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: It makes a lot of So it doesn't do any good to jump up and down and raise about the system and call them crazy and terrible and everything else. There's still people in.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, and the people who care. Yeah. So we started an initiative to you ago called Reimagine, and Reimagine was a We did eight design sessions with twenty to thirty different stakeholders. And I mean we're talking nonprofits, We're talking the University of Rochester Chief of Psychiatry DHS was there and we came together for eight months to co design a solution to narrowing the front door to child protective services. We used data to.
Speaker 1: Narrow the door, narrow the keep kids out of it the.
Speaker 2: First keep them out and DHS was a part of that initiative.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they'd love to reduce their caseload, so they're part of that. Yeah, I mean it would be all about that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and this is where the this is where the system piece comes in though, because as much as they say, yes, we want to narrow the front door, there's also fear and compliance concerns. Right. So what I have found is that and this is not just for CPS, many systems are driven by compliance, and compliance doesn't always want keep children safe, and it doesn't always do what's best. And so that's where I think that good people kind of get swallowed up in the system. And then that's where you start hearing well, I had to well, this is what the statue says. Well, these are the limitations that I have, and I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: And and our overlatigious society liability is everything correct. So again, so it's I rather actually call it that, let's just keep them out of it the first place.
Speaker 2: And then there's this perception in the community for some depending on what community, that Child Protective Services is actually like a resource, and so some of the work that we're doing is really around narrative, right, And it's not to paint CPS is a bad but it's like, guys, you're using the wrong tool. CPS is not the tool for poverty.
Speaker 1: That in and of itself is the very definition of when human beings become systemized if they see Child Text Services as a resource to just whatever, Boy, have we got it wrong societal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And because you use the example of like law enforcement, it's it's it's almost the same thing, right, tell people like you don't you don't want to call the police, and someone who's having a mental health challenge. You want to call a therapist right right, because we don't want to abuse the system, over use the system, because that's also where the lack of trust between that system and the community comes.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. This Tulsa and Rochester girls somehow finding herself in my hometown doing hopework too. Lord, do I know many in my community lack hope. What are you doing around here to start a hope revolution? What you're doing in Memphis? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Working with the Goatbe you yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So you know, a Goatbe is a family and child so organization here in Memphis that works with you know, children and families who are are in need. You know, they have everything from therapy to adoption to outreach. They do amazing work here in the community. And AGAPE has sought out to do something incredibly ambitious, and that is to make Memphis a hope centered city. And so they have these ambassadors that are within a GAPE and also within other youth and child serving organizations that are working on really embedding this not just as an activity, right, not just as a one off movement, but as really the fabric of Memphis right where what would it look like if every system, every sector, every organization and business in Memphis was has to had this unified hope language. We were talking about people as if they had dreams and they had goals that were worth us investing in. And so that's a piece of the movement. It's to get people not just talking about hope, also measuring it, also being intentional about increasing it, being intentional about sustaining it.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, Well, how did God they find you? How'd you end up going? How? They can't answer that question. I don't know how they found me? The relationship.
Speaker 2: So David Jordan reached out to me probably about a year, yeah, and he reached out to me via email almost a year ago to talk about the summit and to see if after the summit we can you know, enter into this kind of long term relationship to turn Memphis into a hope center city. David found a a YouTube video that I posted like three years ago. I had a couple hundred dollars, got this guy to shoot this video in my husband's office, just talking about my dreams and my aspirations of Rochester becoming a hope centered city. And I talked about what that would look like. And I always start the video off by saying, I'm Ashley and I have an A score of seven, right, and just talk about how aces really impact us, but how hope actually heals with what what trauma steals?
Speaker 1: Who heals what trauma steals?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, so that's that's like. That was the video that I that I shot.
Speaker 2: I mean again, I was like, you know, just just talking about the power of hope. And surprisingly a lot of people have learned about hope five A five in our work through that video that I just decided to shoot one day and put on on on YouTube. And now now MEPhI is like my second home. I love your Memphis.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we talked about your grandmother a little bit, but some than you said. That's pretty funny is you said you were raised in foster care, but not the way people think. Yeah, touch on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my mother had me when she was eighteen years old, and I think as early as I can remember, I've been in and out of my grandmother's home with her having foster boys.
Speaker 1: Like I just I've only ever been brothers and sisters. Would you say you had?
Speaker 2: So my parents started fostering when I was in the seventh grade. I remember our first foster boy was a four year old named Isaiah, and I mean we fell in love with him. He went off to be adopted. But my parents started fostering when I was in the seventh or eighth grade. Prior to that, my grandmother was a foster parent and all of my aunts and uncles, so I think my parents were the last of the siblings to open their home to foster care. So I always say, I mean, I've only ever known having foster uncles my grandmother, so I was the only person in our family who started fostering only girls. Everybody had foster boys. So my grandmother told me when I was really young, she had foster daughter.
Speaker 1: She is her home.
Speaker 2: She would take boys or girls, and she said that was that obviously just didn't didn't work out well, so she had to choose if she was going to boys or girls. Definitely doing teenagers, so she kept teen boys. So yeah, that I you know, I grew up obviously with my biological parents. But I always say that, like I just have always had foster aunts, uncles, siblings.
Speaker 1: I can't help but that asked us. But I'm I don't. I'm curious Denver, right, Yeah, it's kind of a white place. It's pretty white, and I'm just curious. Did you have white and Hispanic and African American foster? Oh? Yeah, so this right, the United Nations?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, yeah, that's why I said our thanksgivings were very diverse.
Speaker 1: I mean that had that. That's but that what an education? Yeah, oh yeah, to learn so much about so much that way? Oh yeah, So I mean it was one, come one all, we don't care.
Speaker 2: Come on, yep, yep, black boys, white boys, Hispanic boys, yep. Absolutely, even with yeah, even with my mom, I remember her, And yeah, our first foster boy was white boy.
Speaker 1: They might say you, I say it was a white kid.
Speaker 2: No kid, he had been mixed, he had I think he had a little little hinted brown in him somewhere.
Speaker 1: It's really not meant to be a racial commentary question. Yeah, it's just that's interesting, and to be candid, so many people when they think about foster, care to think about white families fostering like children and your whole family throws that entire narrative right on its head, which is also telling you wan't to talk about that at all. Yeah, I mean, you know what, you should talk about that because that's that's such an important, inaccurate societal paradigm that we need to destroys.
Speaker 2: Well, it's inaccurate for a few reasons. You know, there is this thing called hidden foster.
Speaker 1: Care, called hidden foster care yep.
Speaker 2: And there are children who are removed and never put into a former foster home.
Speaker 1: So where are that group homes? Our kin?
Speaker 2: Right, you have some black and because I posted about this probably ten years ago as a foster parent, again, it was one of those very I meant, well, right, but now that I'm looking at it, I was like, what was I taught?
Speaker 1: Why did I ask that?
Speaker 2: But I was like, why do black people not foster are kids? And the comments and also now my lived experience, we're so eye opening. Black people are constantly opening our homes. We're just not doing it through a formal life system.
Speaker 1: That isn't that interesting.
Speaker 2: And many of it is because of the lack of trust in the system. So you'll get I get black. I know black people are like it, I'm not They're not going to be in my house.
Speaker 1: These are the hidden foster kids. They're actually being fostered but it's not through a system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are kids being raised by by sisters and aunts and brothers.
Speaker 1: And they really are faster kids.
Speaker 2: And sometimes and sometimes CPS actually will facilitate the removal, and then the family will refuse to actually become foster fit because they don't want the relationship with the government.
Speaker 1: Refuse to take money and I don't want I don't want the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so it does. It eliminates the support that comes with it. But some people are like, I will figure this out.
Speaker 1: Because I don't trust some of y'all.
Speaker 2: I know a woman who is raising her her son was murdered, she's raising he his children, and she's like, no, these are not foster kids. These are my kids. These are my grandkids. I don't need the system. I will not take their money and I don't need them coming into my home and monitoring me and asking questions and telling me what I can and cannot do with my family.
Speaker 1: I honestly want to give that check a high five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's a lot of those, right. So there are just black people and black and brown people who have a little bit of a less of an affinity for like that type of formalize structure and don't want to be what they would call surveiled or monitored by the system. They're like, I will take care of my own kid, I will take care of our family. Like we're not. We don't. We don't need to go that route.
Speaker 1: So it's not that we're we we got I don't guess we need to ask why that population may not particularly trust the systems and the government. Yeah, no, you want to go two hours on that.
Speaker 2: There's a book that I'm going to say you should read. It's actually written by a good friend of mine now doctor McCall ross. It's called Abusive Policies. How the American Child Welfare System Lost is a Way, and it talks about all of these different things that we've done well or we thought we were doing well, and how it really impact black and brown communities negatively. Yeah, yeah, and things that we were doing right and then just due to a lack of funding, all.
Speaker 1: Turned this story one hundred times. But I'm gonna say it to you again because it is metaphorically this very thing. A guy that worked for me that I cared very, very very much about, kicked the substance abuse problem, which was a work for him spent three years cleaning his life up, because when you have a sub abuse problem and you're in and out of you know, homelessness and all, you end up having all kinds of small misdemeanors that ended up bigger problems because you don't take care of them. And I mean that cycle happens, right Anyway, he got it together and he was quote his wife's husband and father of her three children. But that looked like he moved in and started acting like his father. But they never got that. They had to this point had never actually gotten a marriage license and got married, right, yep, yep. And I'm like, dude, you're doing all of the things right. Please give your children an illustration of what a legally married family looks like. Make that commitment, and the fourth three of trinity he kept. Shaikh said, I know you're right. I know you're right. I know you're right. And finally, like after the third time of Sandy said, man, you just don't know what you're talking about. And I'm like what he said. We are barely getting by and if I marry her, she loses the government assistance for her children and we can't make it. So he said, so you folks, and the very government that tells me the only thing that's good is is a nuclear family, which is exactactly what we want, are the exact people insenting me not to marry her. And he said, you don't know what you're talking about. And so it was an eye own experience for me to say, well intentioned systems to stop abuse that started in the sixties just no longer applied and were actually doing the antithesis of what they were entined and designed to do. But that is a beautiful example of how this systemization has become very untrusted in the black and brown community. Therefore, why there are plenty of black and brown foster parents and families, but we just don't know them because they ain't getting involved in the system. Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: The book Abuse of Policies has a whole chapter on that are that very thing, Yeah, on how we have pulled black fathers out of the home because of policies that make it really hard for poor families and to get the help that they need. Even though and I won't get too far into it, that these these welfare programs were actually not designed for black families, right, And a lot of the requirements and eligibility requirements changed once black women started to use them, and then we started to coin black women who were using them as welfare queens when we weren't the first particulars all of it, right, That's why, And that's.
Speaker 1: Almost a political thing in the eighties. We know the truth. Yeah, you know, uh, that whole that whole welfare queen term came from eighties POLITI yeah.
Speaker 2: But when Moyni Ham started that, I mean he did a I think it was a report called the State of the Black Family, right, and again I probably maybe well intended, maybe not. I'm not sure the intent behind it, but it painted black families in a very negative light in America, and I don't think that we've ever bounced back from that. And so that's why I think we have to be very careful with the stories that we tell, how we tell them, how we understand data, because I think one of the data set that always just kind of rubs me the is just the number of black children growing up without a father, because I don't know what exactly that means. Does it mean that they don't have a father, or they don't have a father that lives in the home, right, Does it mean that the father is not present, or that the father doesn't live in the home.
Speaker 1: Does it also mean that there's a man out there who birth the child, who himself doesn't have hope and therefore doesn't even feel worthy of being a father and opts to stay out because they actually think they're doing more damage than good. And that is a very very real thing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, but again it's we tell the story, right. We want to tell the story, but we don't want to tell in a story that paints this picture to America that you have a bunch of black men who just don't want kids, They don't want us, they're just out here just having kids. And then just I have not met many of them, and so we actually partner with a fatherhood initiative more.
Speaker 1: Of those than there are white guys doing the same thing. Well, that means's true. Yeah, so interesting. I could talk about that forever. But the point is you were raising foster care. Although you were in a foster child, you're part of very loving family, but because your entire family were foster people, you were basically raised in foster care. And it looked like a rainbow. I don't know about a rainbow.
Speaker 2: I think when my family started to do foster care my high school years, I actually started to really resent it. You start, what resenting them doing foster care?
Speaker 1: Tell me about that. Now there's something that you missed that in a property? Did you? Yeah? Why?
Speaker 2: I actually told myself I would never do foster care.
Speaker 1: Why did you resent? You felt like you were losing your time with your family for all these other kids?
Speaker 2: No, the behaviors, Well, explain it. I mean you bring in a traumatized fifteen year old boy right who you feel like is underappreciating your mom, disrespecting her, coming home when he wants. I'm like, why are we doing this right? Mom? I don't. I mean, I have an incredible mother, and when her and my father divorced. I think when they were married, I was okay with it. When they divorced, as she decided she wanted to continue to do it, I said, I actually didn't agree with it. I thought she needed to focus on herself and she needed to focus on us, and she had had some boys that she really cared about that she was like, I don't, you know, I don't want for.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I don't. There's three things. I told God I would never do mary a pastor, which I've done, go to or Robridge University, which I've done three times, and do foster care. So I stopped telling him what I'm not going to do because it just sets me up. But I was just actually wasn't interested. I was not interested.
Speaker 1: Isn't it interesting the seeds that grandparents and parents plant that start getting wilter on them and grow and they're like weeds in New can'sas. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I mean, I think it's great that my family does it.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do it. This is not how I'm going to spend my life.
Speaker 2: But I loved it early on. The older I got, the more I started to see certain things and I was like.
Speaker 1: This changed for you.
Speaker 2: Roberts. I went on a missions trip to Brazil, and while we were there, I really believed that I had an encounter that changed my life, which was we visited an orphanage. And prior to us visiting that orphanage, I actually had a dream and in that dream, I was at or Roberts in my dorm room. I had a dream, and in that dream I had I had a group home. It was a really nice group home, and I remember waking up and I was like, that is not That's not something I want to do. So when I went to Brazil, we were walking into this orphanage and I'll tell you we were there for four hours, and I cried the entire four hours because I really felt like my heart was shifting back towards probably where it was when I worked at my grandmother's child placement.
Speaker 1: Agents, because I was just going with children.
Speaker 2: But the orphanage that I went to, it had cottages for parents. It was like I walked in and I seen something I hadn't seen before. I'd only seen the other piece where it was you take the kids in. I hadn't seen someone do it in a way that was like trying to keep families together. Were also recognizing that in Brazil there were like real orphanages. I mean, there are real orphans, so they had, you know, rooms for orphans, but they had cottages for families. And hearing the stories and hearing those young kids talk and hearing the parents talk, it just lit something in me. It restored for me, you know, I think a dream that maybe I once had that that died. I was really trying to find myself.
Speaker 1: So it just washed all there was something away.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's crazy. Yeah, but I mean during my parents' divorce, I was just like, I just I.
Speaker 3: Hey, before we get to those finalswer questions, I think it could be cool to talk about your experience in Tulsa and then some of it now too, with having a home for kids aging out of foster care. Yeah, what that experience was like and how it changed you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when I was in Oklahoma, I worked at a shelter for kids aging out of the foster system, and I spent majority of my time there working in the Big Girl in Big Boy Cottage, so cottage for the teenagers. And I loved it. I absolutely loved it, but it was so heartbreaking for me because there were so many times that I was watching kids put their clothes in trash bags and prepare to age out of foster care. And I remember there was a young man he was aging out in like three months, and his behavior. He started to punch in walls and I mean just he was really acting out. And I remember sitting with him one day after he was in trouble and I'm like, Drake, what's going on, dude, what's what's going on? And this kid just, I mean balled up at a field position started crying. He was like, I'm just scared, scared. I don't know what I'm going to do when I turn eighteen. And after a few of those situations, I was like, I want to do something about this. So I started working with people who had properties that would rent, and a gentleman purchased a home, rented it to me for a very modest amount, and I got licensed and became a foster parent to teenagers agent got a foster care, fostered about twenty girls over a three or four year span, and then my husband and I ended up reconnecting after college, and after we got married, I knew I was moving to Rochester, so I merged the Foster Home or the man of House is what it was called at the time, another organization in Tulsa. And then when I moved to Rochester, I knew I wanted to continue that work. So that's when I started Hope five eight five. At the time, it was called the Hub five A five. The first initiative we started was a care portal. Because the care portal is so easy to roll out, it doesn't really cost a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Like you, you just get people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but two years ago we actually opened the first professional foster home in Monroe County, using the same model as a model that I started in Oklahoma. So right now we have four young ladies. One is pregnant prepare to have a little boy any day now. So we'll have five, well four women and a baby in that home. And we're actually about to purchase another home now to be faced two to that. So when girls age out, they will be able to rent a room from Hope five eight five to give them a little bit more time to prepare for adulthood.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. I prior to doing this, had never, ever, ever, ever not even considered the thought of what happens when children aren't adopted and they age out of foster care and they become eighteen. They put their stuff in literally a black garbage bag, and I think they're given a couple hundred box and they're set out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watch kids put their stuff in a trash bag, get in a taxi and go to Salvation Army. I was their eighteenth birthday from a children's shelter to birthday, and.
Speaker 1: Then we ask ourselves. Why these folks end up in jail, on skid row or on drugs. I mean, I don't care who you are. Get that start in life, have that lack of hope, and see how you do, and ask yourself why you don't have enough grip.
Speaker 2: So this this and this is why, this is why I started to get into the narrowing the front door to shop protective services. I said, the outcomes are not the outcomes are poor. So you move a kid because their parents can't take care of them. You put them in a system, The system bounces them around eight to twenty times, they don't get adopted, they age out.
Speaker 1: The outcomes are poor.
Speaker 2: Why not keep them at home, support their families, and at least they know where they belong.
Speaker 1: At least. I tell people all the time, I'd rather be poor with my mom right than to be you.
Speaker 2: Then for you to remove me and put me with a well off family that doesn't understand my culture, and that at any given day call and say this isn't working out, it's not keep me with my poor mom right. At least I know where I belong and I know I'm loved right, So I think that that's and that's really the work that we're doing is really saying, you know, if we look at this system, how do we create this culture of systems change? You know, we have this front door, we have this system, and when children are entangled in the system, they deserve dignity. And that's why we create our homes and we have something like how are we going to ensure that when young people are aging out they're not aging out? Just to come back to the attention of child welfare, but now, as the parent, I had a CPS worker looked me on my face and say, this kid that we're talking about, I was his grandmother's child welfare worker.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm like, well, there's three generations. Here's the thing. And if you don't care about it from an idealistic standpoint, which is you don't, you need to check yourself. But even if you don't, pragmatically you should care about it, because these are the very people that, if we don't do something about it, end up not hang into our tax space but taking I mean there's a pragmatic side of this too.
Speaker 2: Yep, they don't go away.
Speaker 1: That's what our taxes are paying form.
Speaker 2: When they're in care, then they age out incarceration, homeless.
Speaker 1: It sounds cold, but these are the people that are filling our jails too if we don't figure this out. So if you don't even have the empathy for them in humans, I have empathy for yourself and your tax space and your children's tax space, because this is the biggest thing we could fix.
Speaker 2: One of the things that we did back in November was we released a report called the Cost of a Fossil Alarm, and it shows the socioeconomic impact of over reporting for families. We put a dollar to it, because some people don't care unless you put a dollar to it. I can tell people all the time, like where we're moving children, we're doing this, We're wasting tax pan dollars. Do you remember what the dollar figure was and our county was twenty two hundred dollars. You multiply that by the seventy five percent that are substantiated, you're talking twelve million dollar economic impact. There you go twelve million dollars. What could we have done with twelve million dollars to address the conditions that brought them?
Speaker 1: The whole dragmatic side to it, right what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: But what if we started doing these type of studies for other issues, kids aging out. How much does it cost for them to be homeless?
Speaker 1: The kids aging out thing? If you did that nationally, that number is, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Staggering, yep, multiple multiple, multiple millions, hundreds of millions of dollars. Easy, yep, because we're paying for them incarcerated, homeless, substance used. I mean, all of these different things that become real issues.
Speaker 1: And because I think they're I think kids who age out of foster care are like three times more likely to have their own children end up in foster care. And not right, three times or something. Okay, So whatever that number is today, triple it twenty years from now. It's staggering.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: So there's all kinds of reasons. The work you're doing is absolutely phenomenal. What does the average person not really understand? If you can sum it up, what is the average thing a person really doesn't understand about a kid's life in foster care.
Speaker 2: I think the perception is that kids in foster care are being given a better life or better outcomes, a new family, a better.
Speaker 1: Family, Annie, Daddy Warbucks.
Speaker 2: That's it, right, Kids in foster care, now, they have a home. We message it like that every kid deserves a home, every kid deserves a family, and it's true. Well we're not realizing is they have a family. Many of them have a family, right. I want one thing that really it bloils my bud when we call children foster care orphans because they're not orphans. They have families. There are some if they've lost their parents or orphans, but we have.
Speaker 1: The very name and orphanage for a building that houses children who aren't with their families is actually missing omer because the vast majority of them have living families.
Speaker 2: They do, they do.
Speaker 1: That's interesting.
Speaker 2: What what messages as into their living families when you start to call them morphine? So I'm dead now, I don't matter. I'm not here, I'm invisible. You're trying to erase me from their lives. These kids, they have families that they love. And I think the average person would think, because I used to think it, kids in foster care are something horrible has happened to them, and it's typically because their parents have made bad choices or have done something bad. It's just not the truth.
Speaker 1: So I don't even know what the politically correct term is for your children that are not foster children. I guess they're natural What do you call those?
Speaker 2: What do you my children are not foster children, my biologog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the number. All right, So you have how many biological children? Three? All right? And what are their names and ages?
Speaker 2: Riley is three, Madison is five, Harper.
Speaker 1: Is eight, and Riley is also a girl?
Speaker 2: Yep, all three girls.
Speaker 1: Yeap? Oh, poor Melvin, poor man. He ain't never gonna have a hot shower. And then Jordan is also female. Yes, And now Jordan is your foster daughter.
Speaker 2: She was yep, she was yep.
Speaker 1: Well what is she now?
Speaker 2: Well, now she's my daughter.
Speaker 1: Oh she's adopted. Yeah, I got it, okay, And how does she Jordan is twenty nine? Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I met Jordan uh when she was seventeen. I met Jordan when she was seventeen. I had my home for young ladies preparing in age out of foster care. I had a full time job working at a shelter, and Jordan was one of the residents in the shelter. She was preparing to age out of foster care. And some of the workers who are working on her case, they knew that I did foster care. And that I would take young ladies who were over eighteen. And so they connected Jordan and I. She came and stayed four weekend to see if she felt like it would be a good fit. And so she signed herself back into foster care when she turned eighteen and became my foster daughter when she turned eighteen.
Speaker 1: And when did you legally make it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I moved to Rochester in twenty and sixteen. Jordan stayed behind in Tulsa and we rented her an apartment and she was doing the transitional living stuff. And one day I had a conversation with my husband and I said, Hey, out of all the girls, you know, Jordan is just I love all my girls, I really do, but there's just something different and special about Jordan. And I told him, I said, you know, Jordan doesn't really need us, Like she's super independent. She works, she's a hard worker, she's always had a job, she got her driver's license, she was independent. I said, But one thing that Jordan doesn't have, like she won't have a dad to walk her down the aisle and she gets married, she won't have a mom to be in the delivery room when she gives birth to her first child, Like, Jordan still just doesn't have family, and she has ties to her birth mom and her siblings, but the connection just again because of the removal, which people don't talk about. It's so hard to reunite when you're eighteen with a woman you haven't lived with for fifteen years, right, and just to go back to how things were, it's hard. So Jordan came to live with us in Rochester a month after we had Harper, our eight year old. Oh, so we joke around, we say we brought home twins, so we brought home.
Speaker 1: The baby and a half years whatever.
Speaker 2: So Jordan came to live with us, and we were going through the process of actually formally adopting her, and it was expensive even as an adult, like you have to pay to adopt an adult. So our attorney was like, hey, you know there's other ways around. It's like, what's the goal of the adoption And I just said, well, if anything ever happens to us, we want for Jordan to be considered in are like the same way our daughters are. So it's like, well, you could change your last name for sentimental value and then put her in your wheel and that that still accomplishes everything that you would have wanted to accomplish the adoption. So we say it's more of a moral adoption, you know, we didn't go do them for what she's ours as our girl.
Speaker 1: I love that. Tell me about her? What does she doing?
Speaker 2: Jordan's oh? Man, So she has a boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Really cool guy.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's just hitting me though that she's going to get married probably one day, if not to him, to someone, because she's just incredible. She's a caregiver or caretaker for an older lady. So she takes care of an older lady through an organization in Rochester and then works with people with developmental disabilities. So she's working on her associates. She'll be graduating soon with an associates in human services and just a really incredible human.
Speaker 1: Very cool story. Yeah, yeah, does mister doctor Ashley Cross also known as Melvin a track out to no what's he doing up at? What's he do up in Rock? He's actually a third generation pastor.
Speaker 2: His grandmother his grandmother was the first ordained woman minister in Rochester and Katie Cross yep, and he talks about her and just lights up. But my husband, who actually just became a Reverend doctor Melvin Crass.
Speaker 1: This this week, he.
Speaker 2: Defended his dissertation at BAKI and he did on transformational leadership and did a really cool study on gentrification in urban churches. But yeah, he is the leader of a thriving, beautiful, life giving church called Gloryhouse International. He actually started the church the same year that I started the Girls Home in Oklahoma.
Speaker 1: So he knew what he was marrying.
Speaker 2: Oh, he knew what he was So my in laws were foster parents, his father and father, and he has adopted siblings. Yeah, so that was his pickup line when we took me out. He said, Hey, so you know my family has done foster care too, and you know I want to do foster care one day and I was like, oh, okay, is that your way of telling me that our futures a lot?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So so Melvine ain't got game, but he's got story. Yeah yeah, gay, but he got a really good story. He got a really good story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If he was here, I'd be a lot nicer and he would.
Speaker 2: Just Melvin is just he's an incredible guy. If you see him, he's always got a smile in his face and just an amazing past or. Amazing father.
Speaker 1: I want to give you the last word as we close, tell our army of normal folks with regard to the work you do. Army normal folks, then they're not going to get their doctorate in this stuff, and they're probably not going to start a five oh one C three and do all that you've done. But you know what our whole construct is. You don't have to. You just have to see a need, care about it, and engage in whatever way you can in your community. So I want to give you the last word. What do you want to tell the arm and normal folks with the guard of the work you do, what can they do? It's just a normal person to make a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm reflecting on the message that I taught on close enough to touch. I think what I would challenge normal people to do is to make yourself close enough to someone else's pain and someone else's story and just start there. Like, I think that the most significant thing that we can do is just to find ourselves close enough to people who are suffering. And that's why I lit up what I talked about Elias, because I've done nothing really for him. I don't think I've done anything significant, but just be close enough to answer the call when he reaches out for help, to be there to remind him of who he is and what his goals are, to listen to see him. And I think we've overcomplicated it. I can give you all the other steps, you know, find a nonprofit, connect with a nonprofit, become a mentor find a young person, like all of those things. But I think the most simple thing to do is just to make yourself available. Be okay with being uncomfortable, be okay with being inconvenienced, and just find yourself being that one person for just one person.
Speaker 1: Ashley Cross. There's no better way to close it than there, because that is exactly the power of millions and millions of army and normal folks. If we had millions of people doing just what your wisdom right there imparted, we change culture.
Speaker 2: We would, and I believe we can.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being here, Thanks for joining us. It's been an awesome discussion and you are a bright right life.
Speaker 2: Thanks you so much. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: In you, and thank you for joining us this week. If doctor Ashley Cross has inspired you in general or better yet, to take action by implementing the science of hope in your own life, your business, your service work, or joining the Hope centered movement in Memphis by visiting a gape's website. Please let me know I'd love to hear about it. You can write me anytime at Bill at normal folks dot us. If you enjoyed this episode, please share it friends and on social subscribe to the podcast, rate it and review it. Join the Army at normal folks dot us. Join or start one of our local service club and buy our merch any and all of these things that will help us grow and army in normal Folks. I'm Bill Courtney. Until next time, do what you can do.