Speaker 1: It is Thursday, October twenty sixth. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District and now a guy who's happy to work for a team willing to spend the money on logos for both sides of their helmets.
Speaker 2: J P.
Speaker 3: Shag Milk and welcome in its Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District. Florida's water It's worth saving. We're on ten to Nexcel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, JP Shadwick, Jeff Laghman. The Jaguars and the Steelers coming up Sunday Atkrischer Stadium at the Confluence in Pittsburgh, where the Jaguars historically have fared well. It's a physical matchup as always, Jaguars health is a question mark this week, and we'll hear from the head coach, Doug Peterson, joining us at five o'clock on the Doug Peterson Show on the Jaguars Radio Network. We'll hear it from the horse's mouth and see what he has to say about the Jaguars health coming out of the mini bye week. Well, Jeff Loghman, good afternoon. What's up man, afternoon? How was your mini bye Good? Good? You refreshed, relaxed, ready for Yeah, the other game. I'll get even more refreshed during the bye week as well. The players, right, yeah, you look, I think it's a player it's always tough to play on a Thursday night. But then of course the added benefit the other side of that is that you get more rest prior to the next game. Now, you hope that they took advantage of that because the defense was on the field I think for about eighty seven snaps a lot, and so I think, you know, the weekend, I hope that they took the time to get off their feet, get treatment, get you know, rest, get massage, therapy, whatever that every player uses to kind of get their their body back and rejuvenate it. Because this is a big game, and it's a big game for a lot of reasons, but most importantly, you always want to go into the bye week with a win. Sure, and you know, they're not scared again of talking about what the future could hold in the AFC and what this game could mean when it comes down to seeding, time, and you know, head to head matchups, they know what this is an AFC team that's four and two the Steelers. Yeah, they may not be the powerhouse of some other teams statistically, but they're four and two in it is JP. They're the Pittsburgh Steeler. That's right. Okay, Yeah, that's I think the beginning part of that conversation. I think it's a little early to start talk about seeding and all that kind of stuff because I think from a player standpoint, it's better to not think about a lot of that, even though it may be on the back of people's minds because hey, look, you know you're like, hey, look, you know, what's Kansas City doing? What's the other top teams in the AFC doing? But you can't have that mindset. I think the mindset has to be, look, let's just let's just play this game and we'll let all of that stuff kind of take care of stuff, because otherwise it's a distract and it's attention that's getting put on something that really you can't control, because the only thing you can control is your performance and whether you're going to be able to try to win or try to lose. So I'm not a big fan of looking at that so much. But this is a big game for a lot of reasons, and most importantly because you know, when this franchise was born, the Pittsburgh Steelers were the measuring stick, you know, and I was a part of that, and we always looked at the Pittsburgh Steelers as the team that we wanted to beat because we felt that if you had if you're going to be the best, you got to beat the best. And at that time in the AFC Central, the Pittsburgh Steelers were the team to beat. And so I think there's a lot of history there. You know, a lot of these guys today probably don't realize it, but I can guarantee you one thing, the players of today understand the aura around the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think Trevor Lawrence actually talked about it earlier this week and use that exact term, So even younger players understand what playing the Pittsburgh Steelers is like. This franchise, at least in recent history, has fared well in games in Pittsburgh since the ninety nine season, Including that year, the Jaguars have won seven of the last nine games they've played in Pittsburgh, including two playoff games. So now you take those good football teams have paired up against Pittsburgh when they've had good football teams in Jacksonville. So that's part of it. Good football travels even to Pittsburgh. True, and look the Jaguars again because of the way that this franchise was born, always had a little extra attention on the Pittsburgh Steelers. And you go back to and I remember this the Monday night football game in Jacksonville where Chris Hutchon gets the interception and Bill Kauer kind of throws the fake punch as he's going down the sideline. That was we split the games with the Pittsburgh Steelers going all the way back to the very first and all your year nineteen ninety five, which was a big deal, and it seemed I think the first four years we split every game with this Pittsburgh Steeler organization, which was considered one of the best in the National Football League, and so we were trying to establish ourselves as one of the best with Tom Kaughlin at the helm. So I think that mindset will always stay there, and there's a lot of history between these two teams. There's playoff history. There's regular season history, there's divisional history. It's a shame it was lost in the realignment, I think in a lot of ways. But but I'm looking forward to this game. You know, the weather conditions are a little, you know, a little iffy. Okay, that's the that's the international sound for iffy. Thank you good. I didn't know. Jack's vancelo customized Jaguars turnership for your home. Checkout zipchair dot com and browse all customizable options zip Chair Furniture for fans. JP Shadwick, Jeff Loglan. It's Jaguars Happy Hour. We'll get to the Steelers coming up just a little bit to all of their fairly new pieces on offense and defense. Was one of the best players in the National Football League and TJ. Watt. But let's start with this Jaguars offense trying to find full health. Walker Little and Jay Jones are the names that really pop up first glance on this offense that have not been available recently. So what do you think this week? Well, I would like to think that you can get both of these guys back. But here's the thing with all injured players when you have a bye week, sitting there the next week. In some cases, I think you're more apt to be a little bit conservative because you sit there and you go, Okay, look, if we can get through this week, and we got through last week without some guys, if we can get through this week, then player X, Y and Z are going to get that extra time. And we know if they get that extra week, they're definitely gonna be completely healed, as opposed to having it continue to nag and maybe they're gonna have a setback and then all of a sudden, maybe they go back on the injury list and to miss some time. And so I think the bye week makes it a little bit more appealing to approach things on the conservative side. I don't know if that's going to be the case or not, because I think a lot of decisions are going to be made based on okay, Kenny, player can hey not play? But I think that changes the mindset, and it's probably human nature more than anything else. In some cases, it's probably not even intentional, but I think you're just naturally a little bit more shy about being aggressive knowing that you have that extra week sitting there as a possibility we'll get to the full injury report coming up whenever it comes out. It was around this time yesterday when it came out, in fact, exactly twenty four hours to the minute yesterday. We'll see how soon it comes out today. We'll get to that coming up later in the Jaguars Happy Hour Jaguars Defense logs. They found away last week. You mentioned the eighty seven plays, took all eighty seven of the certainly did. And it took a drop on the eighty sixth play by the tight end to give them the eighty seventh play and the fourth down stop either way. Yeah, but you know what I got there. Ten years from now, nobody's going to remember that drop now. Now, Foster Morow will certainly remember that. He might be about the only one. But hey, they found a way. They're fourth against the run. That's to a man. That's what they say is the number one priority every single week because it sets up everything else they want to do. They want to plug up the run game, and they've done that this year, sets up the takeaway game where they're number one in the NFL sixteen takeaways this year. So it's a defense finding away week after week, even though they're out there for so long and giving up yards late and give it up fifteen point lead. You know they're they're finding a way. Well, it's bullyball, and that's the turn that the players have used. Andre Cisco used it a while back, and I think we've heard other player is echo that same thing. And maybe that's part of the coach speak that Mike Caldwell, who's doing a fantastic job, maybe he uses that term. But the reality is is that it's working right now for this defense. They're doing a really good job against the run, and I think it's helping them in a great fashion. And if you'll remember JP, going all the way back before the season started, we were talking about what can we expect to see from this defense and what do we expect it to look like? And I said at the time that I believe that this defense, if they're going to be good, they've got to be really good against the run, because I felt that they had some shortcomings in past defense and in order to give themselves the best opportunity as a pass defense, they needed to be jam up against the run. And right now that's exactly what they've been doing. They've been solid and give a lot of credit to obviously Foyer Lucan who is having a tremendous year, but Faticasi has also been a big boost. And if you go back to last year, he was hurt and he wasn't available. Well, this year he's a big part of what they're doing, which credit him because he came out of the preseason with that foot injury that he had sustained against the Detroit Lions and the joint practices, and then he's been back. He's been playing strong, he's been eating up two guys and I don't think enough can be said for him. And he's in that kind of forgotten role. He's, you know, one of them big pluggers on the inside, takes up two blocks a lot of times, and there's a reason why you can see twenty three and thirty three that are running around pretty quickly and doing a really good job. And so I mean, I credit him. And it looks like this team may have a chance of getting to Von Hamilton back this week or after the bye week. I mean, he practiced full all last week leading into the Thursday game. He didn't play, of course, was not available, so we'll see what happens. Well. I love that could change everything too. I think that look, I think Roy can take Roy robertson Harris Big Roy. I think Roy can take his game up another level. He's been really good at times, but I think he can get the consistency up a little bit better. And then you have Fotokosi, who has been a big boost with his availability and his performance this year. I also wanted to point out one of the guy, Angel Blackson. I think he's done a really good job. And yeah, he came in. It was like late, who is this guy? Yeah, and he's been around the league for a while. It's not like he's some rookie. He was like nine years nine years and he's an Auburn guy. I know you're you know, you're one so fuzzy. He was on the field for the kick six, the classic play in the old game Iron Bowl game. That's I think Adam Goatzis has got to play a little bit better than what he's been doing. But if you can get to Von Hamilton back, Smooth's been back, got his first sack, you know, back from the Achilles injury. Congratulations to him. He I think hit the jump that he took from UH from the game before to last week was significant. So I mean all of those things are encouraging, but to get back to the original point, this team's got to continue to play bully ball for them to have a chance to win. The Pittsburgh Steelers are not great running the football, and I know that they've got a Roll Todd running back, okay, but I'm not very impressed by him. I think they're not a very good running team. And if you can negate that put a lot of pressure on a very young quarterback. I think he got a great opportunity for success. We'll dig deeper into the Pittsburgh Steelers personnel coming up. In just a moment four thirty. Kay Stevens will join us in studio. We'll get her thoughts on the week that has happened around the Miller Electric Center heading into this Steelers matchup five o'clock. It's the Doug Peterson Show. The head coach in studio with us will pick his brain. We're gonna ask the tough questions you always do the head coach and get his mindset on this Week eight matchup the Jaguars and the Pittsburgh Steelers, a big matchup in the AFC. We're on tenjin XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube and is Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. Jaguars Happy Hours brought to you by the Same Times River Water Management District, Florida's water, It's worth saving. JP Shadrick with Jeff Logoman, Jaguars Happy Hour on ten ten xl AM ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube logs. You and I are on x AT Logs five six. That's Twitter, right, formerly known as Twitter. Yes at JP Shadrick, Yeah, we're on all those things. We're on all that stuff. YouTube TV, h YouTube, the utricial YouTube so okay on TV cool. I don't know if I could watch myself on YouTube TV. I got YouTube TV. Now, welcome to the twenty first century logs. I'm excited for you. You've already had it. I've had it for a long The great thing is about it is that you can get the Sunday NFL ticket on that which you only need two weeks a year because you're working the other corrects fifteen Sundays, correct sixteen Sundays yeah, but that's still a cool option. Yes. I mean, if if you were not working on Sundays, correct, would you not have the NFL ticket Tonny ticket? I would probably have some version of that or just watch the red Zone. Yeah, red Zone it's pretty cool. I don't like that jumping around stuff. I want to watch a game, but then you're gonna miss all the other games. I watched the highlights later on. If I'm watching the highlights live on red Zone, you know the one thing I do miss, I will say this. I can't wait for this. And it was Chris Berman and uh the linebacker for the Broncos Jackson, Tom Jackson. Tom Jackson, I used to did you not love that?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: That awesome? Yeah? Did you watch it? He does it with Booger McFarlane. Now who does Chris? Yeah? Really on ESPN, I think it's like ESPN Plus, but they do a version of Okay, yeah, yeah, I mean that was with that. It was that was with Tom Jackson. It was awesome. Tom Jackson first of all, was fantastic. Yeah, great opinion, great insight. Of course, permanent is fantastic. But I used to love watching those two guys on Monday Night. That was my source of highlights. Now I watched the NFL network to get my highlights. Good place to go. Yeah, and of course you do. I mean nowadays, I mean you got a phone in your pockets. You can get highlights anywhere you want instantly in fact, for that, and yeah, there is that for that any but literally you can go to YouTube now and just type in, like, for example, during the week, I'll watch the highlights of the previous game of the opponent that's coming up, Like I watched the highlights from the Pittsburgh Seelers in the Rams game, and I'll watch the highlights before I delve into the film, just to get an idea of the tempo of the game. And at what point of the game do you really want to focus on on where the game changing plays are made so you can watch them. Well, it's a great way to do some prep. It's the Internet, man, an amazing place. It's just a fad though, It's that what they call that, that inner interweb. Yeah. Great, all right, let's take a look at these Pittsburgh Steeler Let's start with Kenny Pickett, I mean, the young quarterback, you know, the whole thing in the pre draft process, was the hand size. There's glove things going on in Pittsburgh these days. They're all about the gloves in his hands. So what's his deal, what's his story right now? Well, for I mean, if the only quarterback taken in the first round last year, right I believe it was the only quarterback that was taken in last year's draft, which was surprising given the importance of the position. And at least I think that's the case. I like him as far as he seems to have command. He seems to command the huddle, he seems to play with confidence, but the performance is not there yet. But then again, if you were to go and look at Trevor Lawrence in a year two, it wasn't quite there yet in the second year until about the midway point where things started to get better. Correct. I mean, so, I think it's a little bit early to have a decision made on Kenny Pickett whether or not he's gonna be a franchise guy or not. I like some things that he's doing. He makes some really nice rows this pass game, and in some previous games this year, he did a really good job of bringing them back into the ballgame and winning, which is a positive sign because it takes a lot of moxie to lead a team back when they're down, to lead them to victory Layton ball games, So that part of it. I think he is has a real strong point to his game, but consistently, I think there's still some things left to be desired. And I think he's got a really good wide receiver group. I mean the two wide receivers that scare me are Deontay Johnson and George Pickens. Johnson's been out a little bit, He's kind of getting back into it. This past game JP. He was really good. Yeah, and he got one huge play taken away from him because of a It was a blind side block by Pickens on a film and I'm going, Pickens, what are you doing? You know you can't do that. I mean, you just got a shield the guy. But he whacked one of the defensive backs of the La Rams, I mean whacked him, and I was like, you can't do that, But it took away I think it was about a thirty forty yard player. More on the Deontay Johnson had and that hurt the Pittsburgh Steels tremendously, and Mike Tomlin actually talked about the penalties after that game and said that we need to start understanding the flow and the ebb of the game based on the way that the officials are calling it, because he felt like they were playing or calling it pretty closely in that ball game. And he said, when and that's the case, we need to adjust and we need to make sure that we're playing clean. But those two receivers scare me more than anything. That young quarterback is still young. Pickens is about six foot three, round two hundred pounds. It's really good in contested balls down the boundary on the sideline like he's he can go up and make plays and then get his feet down. He he has And you know, I saw that Doug Peterson's press conference, he said, I believe it was yesterday. He talked about the back shoulder throws to Pickens, the contested balls that you're referring to, and there was a couple of them in this past game. And George Pickens is so tall that even if it's a jump ball, even if the defender's playing a back shoulder throw, that Pickens can still make the play. And Pickens is excellent. I mean, you go from the numbers out, he's excellent. Okay. He starts to creep inside the numbers a little bit to the hash marks. Okay, JP, it gets a little loud in there. Okay. What I mean by a little bit loud is that there's some dudes that are in there. Okay, that by the name of Kareem Jackson. He used his name to accentuate the one end of the spectrum. Okay, But there's a lot of physicality that exists between the numbers. Those guys have bad intentions, is what you're saying. Yes, okay, And I don't get the put it this way. Watching the film, Pickens's arm length decreases the more to the middle. He goes, what if there's a stat for that, like analytics say, hey, he's you know, his arms are four inches longer in the hash marks than outside or something. I don't know. I don't know, but I can tell you that watching the film. And there's nothing wrong with this. Okay. Some guys are meant to play outside. Some guys are meant for the middle. Okay. One of the greatest Pittsburgh Steelers of all time was a guy that was fearless in the middle of the wide receiver. You've had a bunch in the Hall of Fame. No, I know, I'm not like recently. No no, no, no, no, not Stalworth either, So don't throw that name out. Gosh, what's his name? Physical blocker? Okay, was a great blocker. Come on, heines Ward? Thank you? I mean that was heinz Ward's area. Okay, well, that's not Pickens's area. He doesn't like to do that. Like I said, his arms, you know, going across the middle. You know, here's full extension. Okay, and then then all of a sudden, you get them dinosaur like alligator arms. It's like t rex arm, like the bill came and he doesn't want to pay it. I can't quite reach and get it. But Deontae Johnson is not scared. I'm not saying the other guys. I'm just saying he's a little bit more courageous than another. I think you just said he's scared. He just said that. Okay, he's scared. I would be scared going in the middle. You know, the guy like Cisco waiting on me, Well, who should be going? The middle is a tight end they don't like. That's why I like playing defense. Well, yeah, because it was. It wasn't a targeted the one making the contact, not taking correct But they don't have the tight end right now. That's luth Is on I R he had what a you set a hamstring and uh he's been active. But the one tight end that they do have has a very famous last name, Hayward. Oh yeah, yeah, Connor Hayward, which is he's the brother, Okay, the brother of the guy on the other side of the ball, correct, Cam Cam Hayward, who is his windows open to practiced yesterday or today? I think? Yeah, he got his twenty one day winows, so he could play conceivably this game against the Jaguars. But Connor Hayward, I mean he's listed as a full back. Okay, you're calling him a tight end, Okay, but when you watch the guy on film, he's a fullback. Yeah, he's bigger, he's a big well, he's not tall, that's right. And he's a Michigan State guy if I remember, right, Yeah, he is a Michigan State guy, that's right. So, but he's not a big guy. He's not dynamic, he's not a great receiver. And I think that's what what Pittsburgh is missing a little bit in their offense is that you don't have friar Muths, because I think Friarmouth is a big weapon for them. Jaguars Happy in ten XL ninety two point five FM. PRI Productions, the official event production company of the Jags, has everything you need to bring your next idea to life. Visit PRI Productions dot com. Steelers defense, I mean TJ. Watt is the first guys that stands out. He's right there near the top of the league in sacks. He's impactful, He's got his hands on the football the time. He's a Defensive Player of the Year at one point in his career and could be certainly again. But he is He's the one that really makes this thing go on defense. So how do you approach TJ. Watt. Well, let's go to that line that you just said. He's what makes him go on defense. Let's go back to last year for the Pittsburgh Steelers, because this was an interesting number. He had a peck injury last year and he missed seven games. Well, in those seven games, the Pittsburgh Steelers only went one in six as a team, okay, and also gave up twenty five point three points per game. Well, when he played in ten games, they were eight and two and they only gave up sixteen point nine points per game, so a touchdown. So his performance presence is worth a touchdown a game and the difference between winning and losing. And that's a crazy number to think of statistically. But eighty five and a half career sacks. He's only in year seven, which is insane. A couple of years ago he tied Michael Strahan's record twenty two and a half sacks in a season. He constantly gets doubled and gets a lot of attention from multiple players on the offense, and I think he changes the way offensive coordinators call the game. The problem with him is that, Okay, you put two guys on him. Now you're going to take somebody out of the route tree. Okay, So now you lower the choices for your quarterback. You lower the number of people that can spread a defense out. Well, there's another guy on the other side named high Smith. It's pretty dog gone good too. Who Oh, by the way, I think last year he had like fourteen and a half sacks or somehow excellent player. And oh, by the way, they got a rookie that they drafted from Wisconsin, her brig Her brig h e r her Big h e R b ig Okay, Nick Herbig fourth round pick out of Wisconsin. And I don't know what his numbers are. Maybe you can tell me how many sacks he has, but I can tell you this watching the film, the guy can play and I'm talking he can play football. This guy is a good pass rusher. He is in the rotation with high Smith and then also t J. Watt where those guys are getting blows or breaks. He's a really good pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pittsburgh Steelers calling car has always been outside lineman y So Nick herbigs has only played in four games this year. He's got six tackles, one sack to fl Okay. I'm just telling you why special teams cup tackles. Watching the film on the guy, he can play, okay. And so for the folks that are wondering, okay high Smith where everybody knows what TJ Wat? TJ Watt? Where's ninety yep? Okay. He's always on the defensive left over the right tackle, not always. They move him every now and again they'll flip him over to the other side. And last last week this was interesting because Sean McVay was really trying to get a bead and double TJ. Watt. They were flip flopping. That interesting, and so I'm talking while okay, offense comes to the line of scrimmage, t J. Watt and high Smith flip flop okay as they're getting set. Okay, So they were trying to do that because they didn't want the Rams to be able to get a bead and double on TJ. Watt. And and then also once they rotated in the rookie, they would put the rookie on the other side and let TJ rush from the other side. So they're gonna move him around, and I think it's gonna be a little bit of a chess game. Okay, what is Press Taylor gonna do? What is Doug Peterson gonna do with TJ. Watt when he lines up at the on the side that he usually is, and will they try to check protection if he flip flops like he did against the La Rams. That's gonna be interesting to watch a little bit of a chess match. There plenty ahead. We're back in a moment, Kay Stevens joining us in studio. Jaguars reporter get her thoughts on the week that was for the Jaguars and the week ahead in Pittsburgh against the Steelers and Jaguars. Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving Jaguars. Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Blockovin, and Kyle Stevens and Studio doesn't know what to think about that.
Speaker 2: In saving water. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is worth saving.
Speaker 2: SAE sounds are really pretty high. Driver of the bridge is obviously on their way home because everybody does. But I saw dolphins jumping out of the water, and I'm not from Florida's up was very exciting for me. Was, oh my god, there's dolphins jumping out of the water, very Florida.
Speaker 3: They're everywhere. Yeah, we've got manatees right comes to you the whole deal. Yeah, Yeah, that's pretty neat. How U Literally you'll see all kinds of marine life. Yeah, in downtown Jacksonville at the time. It's awesome, and some of it ends up on Logoman's boat. Imagine that. Yeah, I used to. Yeah, now, kayak, it's right, a little big to handle.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, what are you trying to pull up on a kayak because that might be Yeah, it's a little little different.
Speaker 3: A little big to handle. The Outdoors Show Saturday Morning seven, that's Ty two point five. Hey, it's Jaguars Happy Hour, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, the Jaguars and the Steelers coming up. Ky. They're coming off a mini bye week.
Speaker 2: They are, And I feel like it was just enough of a break, right, because like you don't want to take too much of a break because then you're going to be checked out, because it's a hard spot to be in because we got like three three ish days off because they're back on Monday, but then just one more game and then it's the real bye week. So like I feel like it was just enough of a break to get people like rested, but then to have them back in on Monday practicing and kind of get ready, and everybody seems pretty focused. They don't feel like they're checked out yet.
Speaker 3: So really, like two and a half days off, Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: By the time we got back, that's fair. That's very fair.
Speaker 3: I think I got on like four four o'clock.
Speaker 2: We got here at four, Yeah, so it was late the.
Speaker 3: Business we've chosen. I suppose that's all right. I mean, look, it's uh. Look, I said this during the game broadcast, that defense and that football team played hard, and they played well and that was an incredible performance. But I said this that they need to take have cold tub cold beer and have the weekend off and rest. And I hope they did because that's like the greatest I mean, that's it's hard to play a short week, but if you treat the weekend and the time off that you have, that ensues. I think you got a great opportunity to kind of get back on track. Like you were talking about, it's you want to have a break, but then you don't want to lose your edge, so to speak, you know, because you're on a four game roll.
Speaker 2: You know, I feel like some times, and Jeff, you could probably speak to this better, but like you know, when you're away from work a little too long and then by the time you come back, you're like, I don't want to do this anymore. Is that what bye week is like?
Speaker 3: Or do you just you're dead on. Is that what it's like.
Speaker 2: You're like finally getting into it. You're like, I could live this way every day, and then all of a sudden you have to go back.
Speaker 3: Kayk is awesome. Well, I mean, look, the players are human. I mean they're just like everybody else. You get a day off, You're like, you know, gosh, it sure would be nice to have, you know, weekends off like this, you know all the time. But the reality is is that that's not the job and that's not the job description. So you go back to work. But it's nice to have that break and uh and also it gives you a little extra focus because you have the break. But then you also are saying, look, I'm gonna commit and I'm all in this week because I know the next week, I got some some time that I can really enjoy a mental break and also a physical break from it. Kay Stevens with us in Studio Jaguars Happy Hour. The quarterback storyline last week dominated the headlines going into the game when the super Dome, and then during the game in the super Dome, he ended up as the leading rusher for the Jaguars on a brace. He said he's gonna continue to wear it, and that's what it's gonna be. He's gonna be out there and fight through this thing.
Speaker 2: Gosh, if you didn't appreciate Trevor Lawrence before that game, you have to after that game for him to, you know, play through injury. That's inspiring two teammates. I mean, we've heard from all of them saying, you know, if Trevor's out there doing that and playing well while doing it, that motivates people. For it was like, Oh, I saw him doing all this running around. He's like, I got to step my game up. So that inspires your teammates to see that. Also, you look across the sideline you see Derek Carr having a meltdown over there, and you're like, geez, that could be what we were dealing with. So I not that I don't think anybody appreciated him, but when you see stuff like that, you're like, oh, things could be much worse.
Speaker 3: One of my favorites was on Instagram there was a they had I guess Trayvon was miked up.
Speaker 2: Somebody was yeah, it's the best part of Mike Oh funny story that almost got left out and miked up. I helped save that, by the way, which was that? So Trayvon is miked up for We do a make up player every week and we had him maked.
Speaker 3: Up last week. I watched it all, but I didn't see he was right.
Speaker 2: Up on Derek Carr. When Derek Carr started lighting up, Chris Olaven was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Run?
Speaker 2: And it's like this just you hear it, and then Trayvon's in the background like, hey, Derek wouldn't new, There was no new.
Speaker 3: Oh it's a good stuff. Look what you brought up about Trevor's dead on and what Foyer said about Trevor is dead on. I thought the biggest play in the ball game was the first scramble that Trevor had because it sent a message. It sent a message to your coaches, it sent a message to your teammates, and it sent a message to your opponent. I'm here, I'm healthy enough, and I'm gonna play ball. Let's go boys, I mean, because I mean reality. Think about it. What did we all think when we saw Trevor run? Don't do it?
Speaker 2: And I slid too, And I was like, but.
Speaker 3: When we saw him take off, We're like, that's impressive, that's toughness and he.
Speaker 2: Cut on it too. It wasn't like.
Speaker 3: Yes, and so everybody else sees that that's on the team and they're sitting there, Oh yeah, here we go. Yep, let's go. And so when you when the quarterback shows that he's all in by actions, I think it spurs people on to have a better performance because they know he's gutting it out, they know he's tough. Okay, But I loved how after the game. I wanted to bring this up this week and I'm definitely gonna do it right now so I don't forget. I love how Trevor was asked the question after the game about the knee and about fighting through it, and Trevor wanted to deflect and say, look, this is a tough game, this is a tough sport, and I don't want to talk about money because everybody's fighting through something and he's dead on. But I thought it that just shows you. I think the level of leadership that he has in two ways. One the performance, one showing that he can run. He was a leading rusher in that game. That was a career high rushing yards for him on a knee that was in a brace that was not feeling one hundred percent. But then after the game, the leadership doesn't stop when he makes something like that, in a comment like that, and the players see that that's what leaders do. If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, look no further than Ford to f one fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate, work play and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local Ford Dealer, proud partner of the Jaguars. It's Jaguars Happy Hour. Atention Excel ninety two point five FM, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logaman, Kay Stevens, Jags Defense eighty seven plays Logs. You and I talked about it, Makay this performance. I mean they had a lead, they had to pick six to get that fifteen point lead, gave it up. They're running out of guess, but they got the fourth down stop. Mon Terrek Brown played big in a big moll in his first start, and that was a question mark going into that game last Thursday as well. How is this going to hold up to Von Campbell's up off the practice squad break glass in case of emergency. Oh, they didn't have to. And monterak played big in that game for the Jags, and this defense just keeps doing it week after week. They stopped the run, they take the ball away, and they find a.
Speaker 2: Way and it was a little bit of a bend not break there at the end, but they got it done. And I think what's cool at this point, and I talked a little bit about this on Jagsam, is they're at a point now where when they draft people or they have people coming in, they can kind of get them to where they want them to be on either the practice squad or as a backup, and then when someone goes down, that person's ready to go in. It's it's not you know, yes, he's never started before, but he to have that mentality when someone's picking on you and throwing your way every single time, you have to have a mentality like Monterrek Brown had where he's like, I'm gonna figure this out because that can easily break somebody if, like, you know, you let one thing go by you. But the nature of that position and playing behind the people he plays behind and working with the people that he works with, it was clear that he was prepared for that moment. There's other times people get thrown in You're like, this is gonna be a long day, and it could have been a long day. They threw out him all that. I'm sure it felt that way for him, but then to come up as big as he did in the end of that game, it's huge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was big play. Now, wasn't exactly the best thrown ball. Okay, you can't control that part. He just knock it down. So that's why Derek Carr needs to live in a glasshouse and just kind of shut up a little bit to his teammates. But but I will say this, Uh, the Jaguars protected monterk Brown a little bit too. Now, Okay, so uh, I want to make sure we give some credit to the coaching staff because when you have a young player like that that's playing in a game that's going against a Michael Thomas and an old lave, you've got to you got to give him some help, and I thought they did. They put the safety over the top a little bit to help him out, which was which was wise, But at the end, you can't help them. Okay, you're kind of out on an island. You got to make the plays, and he made the place. But what enables them to provide some help in that situation. To MONTERK. Brown, your other corner's playing lights out, Okay, Darius Williams is playing lights out. I mean, I'm telling you last year I thought at times that he was not very good. This year, he's the best corner on his roster. Right now, He's playing at a level that's better than Tyson Campbell. And I hope Tyson Campbell gets back and then now you got two really good corners. But give credit to Darius Williams. I McKay. You had to three interceptions in three games, Okay, great. That pass defense that he knocked up into the air for Fourier intercept was an outstanding play. He's been physical, He's got the most pass defense in the league. And give him some credit to with the success of Montery Brown, I'm writing that down. I'm giving credit to Darius Williams. Yes, he's been a stud man, been a stud I mean, do you guys look at PFF Football Focused grades? Okay? I look at it because I think it's it's not the the ultimate grading scale, Okay, but I think it's a tool and it's something that you can look at that you can say Okay, it's somebody else's opinion, and you can argue the fact that it's acute or not, but at least you can present it that it's somebody else's opinion. He's the third highest rated corner on PFF scale. If you take that, everybody's got to play twenty percent minimum snaps. That's impressive. And the reason I bring that up is the last time that the Jaguars had corners that were ranked that high. Okay, let's go back to twenty seventeen when Jalen Ramsey and hey J Boyer worked like one and two on PFF's rankings. I mean tremendous. So I'm just trying to throw a little little love towards Darius Williams because I might have thrown them a little shade last year's shade, bad Shad, Way to go. You didn't have to google it or anything. I didn't. I didn't google it. It's hands free. I didn't touch anything. How good are these Steelers KA.
Speaker 2: Hard to tell. They a little bit identity crisis from what I've seen. At least it's because it's similar to us in the sense where they have young quarterback. They haven't quite gotten to where they can be with their offense. Obviously at a lesser level. I think the Jaguars offense can be much better than the Pittsburgh offense, and then they rely along on their defense and their pass rush. There they are high in turnovers as forcing turnovers as well. Not as high as the Jaguars, but high up there. I think they're trying to figure out who they are. Mike Tomlin had a nice little rant in his press conference earlier in the week about he thinks having an identity is dumb because then that just tells the other team what they need to stop. So he doesn't want to be any particular kind of team. He just wants to be better at a little bit of everything.
Speaker 3: So he's got some great lines. Oh, I enjoy him.
Speaker 2: I could listen to it was like it was like forty five minutes long, and it was just it was great.
Speaker 3: Sometimes would never say never, but never he always has. I mean some kind I mean where you can create into some kind of meme.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean it's some kind of is or like saying at.
Speaker 3: Least sometimes I don't know what's more entertaining the unexpected or expected staleness of a Bill Belichick press conference when he just when a question is asked and he just sits there and doesn't say anything for about five seconds.
Speaker 2: It's impressive how awkward he can make it because like to keep us straight face and like make it that weird.
Speaker 3: I just chuckle when I watch his press conferences. And then Mike Tomlin is flat out entertainment at times because he's he's almost like this this caricature that has this ability to be a classic ball coach with classic ball coach sayings. It's hilarious. And then they go out and perform well too well games. You know did Doug Peterson said it early in the week and he was dead on, and that Mike Tomlin does a great job with messaging. And you can't be a coach for seventeen years and never have a losing season without having a great messaging system. And Mike Tomlin is one of the best Jaguars All Access Television Tonight at String Sports Brewery, Kai who we.
Speaker 2: Got Evan Ingram is going to be back with us this week.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's always a good one. Evan's great.
Speaker 2: He is great. He loves he loves to see the fans in person, and he's just such a good guy, So that'll be fun. Definitely come check it out.
Speaker 3: That first catch that he had in New Orleans, I know it was ridiculous, Yeah, I mean it was just you know, yeah, I can't remember the body contortion and his shoulder go that night, careful, it's crazy. And then somehow he turned it up. I mean, it's what he does. He so consistent, so professional, and one of the hardest working guys I've ever seen in practice, and I've been watching a lot of them for a long time. Tied in Evan Ingram Tonight at String Sports Breweries, seven o'clock on Fox thirty guests and don't forget Martin No.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Brent, he'll sign autographs after too.
Speaker 3: Oh Brent. Brent's got his own line. Wow, get all the autographs you can. Jeff Logoman direct, Kyle, you're gonna sign some too.
Speaker 2: Everybody's availab, Everyone's everyone's there.
Speaker 3: We'll see you later. Kai Kay Stevens joining us in studio. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving up. Next the injury report. It has been announced for Thursday. We'll get to it after this on Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving, Big be Shadrick Jeff Flagoman thanks to Kai Stevens winning It's in studio. Jaguars Happy Hour on Tintin x L ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, the Jaguars and the Steelers coming up in week eight, It's time for the injury report, presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jaguars PR Department has just announced the injury report for Thursday for both teams and today for the Jaguars. It is the exact same injury report, statuses, statuses, statusties which one status sees I think officially, but I would just say that it's the exact same as it was. Yes, Yeah, that so. Tyson Campbell the hamstring as you limited both days. Andre Cisco hamstring injury limited both days. Devon Hamilton back issue full both days yesterday and today. Jay Jones is not practiced this week. That doesn't sound good for this week with a knee injury. Greg Junior hamstring injury full both days. Cornerback, it's good news. Trevor Lawrence knee issue limited both days. Walker Little knee issue limited both days. Brandon Sheriff ankle issue limited both days. Okay, fifty two on the roster right now because of the release of roy Ethan Rourke was released and then signed back to the practice squad. Okay, so now you have a roster spot. So if you wanted to activate either Greg Junior or Devon Hamilton, which both of their windows have been opened, which can go twenty one days, which Devon what at the end of this week will be down to seven? Greg Junior was opened this week, right, so think so or last week? Not last week though, yeah this week so so yeah. So maybe one of those guys could be brought up to the active roster for a game day. It'll be interesting to see as well, just because, as we said a little bit earlier, typically teams would be a little bit more cautious knowing that you've got the bye week to get one more week of healing for an injured player. What the Steelers alow at it. What injury report? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, well what do they got? Okay, First of all, the twenty one day window was opened for Heyward cam Hayward growing issue. Limited today. He had growing surgery by the way, Yes, more than an issue. Yeah it was surgery. Yeah, surgery. That's more than just an es not good, but it was. You said week one was the injury, right, I think I don't. I don't know that. Well, he was active for the first game of the year and he's been active since, so it had to happen in the first game either way. He's limited today, okay. Anthony McFarland junior a running back knee injury full both days. Cornerback Levi Wallace foot injury, did not practice Wednesday, limited today. Yeah. And by the way, because he didn't play a lot, Joey Porter played a ton. Joey Porter was not on the report at all yesterday and now limited today with a calf issue. Wide receiver Deontay Johnson not on the report yesterday but did not practice today with a hamstring injury. Ooh, that's a big one now, yeah, back that that one is something to watch along with the Porter thing, and also with Levi Wallace because you're talking about starting corners there. Yes, linebacker Cole Holcombe ankle injury full both days. Nate herbig offensive lineman illness did not practice yesterday full today. He should be fine moving ahead. So they got two sets of brothers on this football team. But how about that, right, Haywards and the Herbigs. Yeah, Haywards and Herbigs. Wow, it's a tongue twister, certainly is do you have it? The injury report is in Tailgate with Tony coming up Sunday, November nineteenth, ahead of the Titans Jaguars matchup Biselli and Jaguars Legends, two different levels of all inclusive tickets benefiting the Biselli Foundation. Visit Bissellifoundation dot com for more and if you want fifty dollars off your admission price, use the promo code Tony fifty Tony five zero. Tell him we sent you to Doug Peterson Choke. Coming up, we'll hear from the head coaching studio logs and coming off the mini bye week, we'll also hear from Charles Davis CBS Sports. He's the analyst this week. Love Charles iron Eagle on the Call of the Jaguars and Steelers matchup. So hey, Iron Eagle, by the way, just a little thing. I've known him since like nineteen eighty nine, Yeah, New York. Yeah he was he was working at wf AN, the radio radio station in New York at the time, and met him years ago. And he's done an amazing job in broadcasting even since, even back then, even to till now. He does trying his job. And Charles Davis, I'm a huge Charles Davis fan. Great guy, great guy, and does a really good job of getting his messages out to the viewers in television. We'll hear from Charles coming up about thirty minutes or so. What do you want to hear from Doug Peterson? A five and two record, maybe six and two after a win, it would be six and two and a bye week. Everything's kind of turning up right well right now. One of the things I want to talk to him about is it his weather. I know you're a weather nerd Well. I mean, look, weather conditions could be an issue up in Pittsburgh right now. The forecast is not exactly looking good. Also want to talk about how do you how do you contend with a guy from a from a game plan standpoint, like TJ wantt absolutely and also we'll ask him. Sure about Trevor's knee, how that is going? Seems to be a storyline. You think the starting quarterback, you know me, probably would be a storyline. But nights, I wish we could have two hours with him, because he does he does a great job. Yeah, and but we will pick his break coming up about this matchup Jaguars Steelers, the first time the Jags have been to Pittsburgh since the AFC Divisional playoff game after the twenty seventeen season. That's the Jaguars last trip to Pittsburgh that turned out well. Of course, been a while. Only a handful of players left from that team. By the way, Cam Robinson, let's see Tyler Shatley Smoot was on that team, I believe young not a whole That's about it. Everybody else is. Cam Robinson told me this week those are the two favorite, two of the most favorite games he's played in the NFL, the two Steeler games in twenty seventeen. Well, and a big reason for that. Again, I'm gonna go back to what Trevor's Trevor said, and he talked about the aura of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I mean, that's you're talking one of the one of the oldest oldest franchises in the National Football League. I think the Steelers franchise is like ninety some odd years old now or ninety years old, which is uh, it's like the seventh oldest franchise I think, is what I said. It's it's impressive. So this is gonna be a cool game and a great environment. It always is in Pittsburgh, always is certainly better when the Jaguars is gonna win up there, which they've done a lot of in the last twenty years or so. Try to do it again this week. That'll do it for Jaguars Happy Hour. Up next, it's Jaguars Radio Network coverage that Doug Peterson Show will hear from the head coach in studio. Our thanks to Kay Stevens are thanks to Joe forz Nato and Brent Reaver for our entire crew, and Jeff Logman. I'm J. P. Shadwick. Thank you for listening to Jaguars Happy Hour.