Speaker 1: You are listening to What in the Winkler and iHeartRadio podcast. Welcome back to another episode of What in the Winkler. Jenny Mollin is a writer, a comedian, and New York Times bestselling author of the essay collections I Like You Just the Way I Am and Live Fast, Die Hot, as well as the national best selling novel City of Likes. Jenny mullen is also married to Jason Biggs from American Pie Fame. She is hysterically funny and I'm told we have a lot of things in common, so I'm really excited to talk to her today.
Speaker 2: Hi guys, Hi, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good, How are you good?
Speaker 2: Good to see you, Good to see you two.
Speaker 3: Thanks for doing this, Thanks for having me. I'm so glad. I'm really you've been.
Speaker 4: It's been so many yours.
Speaker 1: I mean it's been it's been so many years, and like the last couple months feel like it's been twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've bet, I bet, Oh my god, is it crazy out there beyond?
Speaker 3: And I know your sister, you know Sam? I do. Yeah, we have really good friends in common. So one of my best.
Speaker 1: Friends, Ashley, is good friends with Sam and Sarah Hendler.
Speaker 4: Oh funny, Okay, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Why I get to see her all the time, like on the bar Mitzvah bought Mitzvah circuit.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 3: I saw that it was just her sons too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just we were just out there for Luca's.
Speaker 3: And then also we share Amber in common.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: Well that's why I think you and I met was with Amber that one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like a huge fan. I loved your instagram so sweet. Yeah, and I thought you were so funny. And then Amber was like, oh, she's like one of my closest friends. Here we go, and I was like, great, So thank you so much for doing this. I'm really grateful.
Speaker 2: How long have you guys been doing this show?
Speaker 1: Well, funny you should ask. So we started in October, okay, and it was me and my mom like a mother doc because my mom and I are extremely close, but she's mentally ill. So we started together just because we are funny together and she's insane and makes me insane. And then after two episodes, she ended up getting extremely sick. She ended up having like sepsis basically, and so she got to the hospital. Yeah, so then I started doing them on my own, and she's hopefully going to come back really soon, so I'm excited for that. But it's been a journey, so I'm learning as i go basically, and speaking to people.
Speaker 3: Has been so fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just been an amazing experience and I'm loving it. But this is like I think I've done about like ten episodes.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Okay, so it's.
Speaker 3: Really it's it's new, and it's well, it's fun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so most almost all of my all of my interviews have been with friends. Today is the first time that I'm doing one where like I kind of know you, but I don't really know you.
Speaker 4: So I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and Amber's producing.
Speaker 3: This, she sure is.
Speaker 1: It was her idea actually to do a podcast because I've been asked so many times to do reality TV, and I just I would like ruin everyone's life around me. So this was like the best, the next best thing.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's yeah. So so yeah.
Speaker 1: So I I was actually noticing I've followed you for years, but I noticed that you don't show your kids on your Instagram, and I was wondering, like, Tom, can you tell me more about that because I'm trying. I'm trying to figure out, like do I show my kids? Do I not show my kids? Like what what do I do?
Speaker 2: Well? I just never want I don't know. I mean I think when when Laslow was a baby, I showed pictures of him because I realized after having Sid that, like you know, when you first have a kid, they don't look any I mean, I don't even he was just like ahead, he didn't really like Laslow at all. So I remember I had fun like the first two days or first maybe a few months of like having Laslow because I was like, oh, I can like finally post him because it doesn't matter. He's not leaving the house. Nobody can like identify him, and he's about to morph out of this baby face into like his real face. Anyway. I'm just like paranoid. I think I grew up, you know, in the eighties where like I felt like everybody was like gonna like scamp, kidnap you, rape you, murder you, like drive you across the border to Mexico and like sell you into slavery. Like I just can't advertise my kids. I just feel so scared, especially in New York city where I will go to the park and be like, oh, those are you know Melissa wood was kids or that's even Tren's daughter. You know, it's like people might know, but like I know what their kids look like. I wouldn't know what their kids looked like to that extent if I wasn't following them on Instagram. And that really scares me because you know, people will come up to me sometimes be like Jenny, and I assume that I know them. They always assume I know them. And sometimes when it's just like, oh somebody who.
Speaker 3: Photes you very.
Speaker 2: Me when it's just me, but it's just gets so scary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I agree.
Speaker 2: So that's that's why maybe if I lived in La I wonder if I would be a different parent, because then it's like your kids at school, they're in your car, they're in your house.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I thought about that a ton.
Speaker 1: And when I was growing up, my dad would never allow us to be photographed ever, ever, ever, And he also was afraid of kidnapping, and and so it's like, but social media is this weird thing. So I don't really show them on like the you know, my public Instagram account. But I've been like trying to figure out like what what what? What is the right thing? I mean not that I'm like a public figure anything like that. I have like a podcast with ten episodes.
Speaker 2: But I was just like, but still, anyone can didn't have a cute kid, like it's not even about it.
Speaker 1: And my kids are super fucking cute, three redheads, you know.
Speaker 3: But no, you know what else? I just remembered another connection.
Speaker 1: There was this guy that I dated and he was really good friends with Jason when he lived in La Oh my god, and he owned his family owned a wine company.
Speaker 2: Wait ni yes, wait stop when did you date John Honig?
Speaker 3: I mean years ago?
Speaker 1: I was probably a sophomore in No, no, no, I was. I was like a freshman in college.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got married at that vineyard.
Speaker 1: Well whatever happened to him? Like he used to live in my neighborhood. I ran in him and I've never seen him since.
Speaker 2: I don't know where he lives now.
Speaker 3: I remember them.
Speaker 2: That is so funny.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure where he is like currently, No, like in life, I just remembered that.
Speaker 2: How funny. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I know your husband like a little Yeah, that is so funny. And then when I moved into my house in my neighborhood in LA he randomly was like outwalking his dog with his girlfriend or something, and I was like, oh my god. I hadn't seen him since I was eighteen years old. So then I was, you know, like I moved in here probably when I was thirty two.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, what is happening. This is so crazy, that's yeah.
Speaker 4: So wild though, fun money. You have to tell some out of that too.
Speaker 3: I will, I will.
Speaker 1: I never see her except if I'm like with Sarah Hendler or Ashley Cassen or something like that, because they live on the other side of town. I'm on the west side there on the east side, which is like you know, basically they could live in New York City.
Speaker 4: It's two different cliqus, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, actually I.
Speaker 1: I went to Hancock Park for my for the evacuation. I stayed at Ashley's house because she was already in Pumps.
Speaker 3: And I love it there, Like I want to live there.
Speaker 2: Would you move over there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Never, but I love the idea. Yeah, it's just so far and like, I'm so close to my parents and I live five minutes for them, and our whole life is over here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how I feel about moving uptown. I don't know if I could do it right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it. But does any of your family live in New York or just you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Just us?
Speaker 1: And another funny connection is my best friend's little sister lives in your old house.
Speaker 2: Wait, Hallie Benedict, Yeah, I know. I mean I still follow her so I sometimes see the house. It's so wild to think about.
Speaker 3: I know that house is so incredible.
Speaker 2: I miss that house. But I did think it was haunted when I first said Sid. That's kind of why I had to sell it. And it's kind of annoying to me that, like Halle hasn't been like killed by a ghost, and she seems perfectly happy there.
Speaker 3: She seems like thriving.
Speaker 2: Unsettling to me that, like the ghost seems fine with the new family that moved in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, I guess the guys just didn't like you. But it's funny that we have so much overlap.
Speaker 2: Tons of overlap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I I mean, but do you ever do you come to La a lot or not that often?
Speaker 2: You know? I was out there a bit this year because Jason and I were shooting this show for TBS that shoots downtown LA, and then I was doing some podcasting out there. But no, I'm not. I'm I don't spend as much time out there as I thought I would it.
Speaker 3: Do you ever think about moving back or no?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think I could. I don't know. I don't know what kind of I don't. I was never a mom.
Speaker 1: In La, right, I can't see and I cannot imagine being a mom in New York.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's so easy.
Speaker 3: It feels so hard.
Speaker 4: Everything comes to me and like I can walk everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's so I moved to New York thinking like this is like a giant cruise ship where I can like work all day and then I can like wander outside and I have like a different identity. I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's it's the best of both worlds for me.
Speaker 1: But it feels like very it feels very overwhelming for me. Like I throw everything in my car and there you have to like walk over and you're like how do.
Speaker 3: You get your groceries home? Like so many things.
Speaker 2: All just like comes here.
Speaker 3: That's so, that is so great, But I fear I would never leave my apartment.
Speaker 2: No, it's so easy to not leave too. Yeah, you're cleaning, you just give it to your dormant and then it just comes back to your dormant.
Speaker 3: But maybe you've switched my mind. Maybe maybe I should make the move.
Speaker 2: And like you want to have something from right age, Like you waltz outside your apartment, You walk like one block and you're there. You don't need a car, it's so and you get in so many you log so many miles a day during is.
Speaker 3: So much walking, so much walking right, Walking is.
Speaker 1: Like my thing when I feel anxious, I like have a lot of anxiety, and when I feel really anxious, I just go outside and walk and that really helps me, except for right now, because no one can go outside.
Speaker 2: But you can't leave the house right now, right no, And you can't open a window, you know, walk.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's so wild. Parenting in this season of life, whatever we're in, is wild.
Speaker 3: I think, Yes, do your kids have social media?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Do yours? No?
Speaker 3: How old are your kids?
Speaker 2: Ten? And eight?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I have seven, nine and thirteen and none of them have it? Oh maybe, but I mean my seven year old that would be mentally ill if I gave him social media, but my thirteen year old doesn't have it, and he's always like, I'm the only one.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 4: I want it to be the only one without a phone. I want him to have like nothing.
Speaker 2: Literally right now, his i'vead is at my nanny's house and it's not coming back until February. Asshole.
Speaker 3: But like I did he get in trouble or you just were like, well, he got.
Speaker 2: In trouble, but like not really, like it wasn't severe trouble, but I needed something to take away and it was that was like the only thing. That's the only thing he cares about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same, that's like my young my youngest, that's the only thing that has any currency. And we don't even have it during the week. It's literally just on the weekend. Yes, And if I like that's the only thing he cares about, he doesn't care about anything else.
Speaker 2: No, And it's like they're like addicts for it. I mean like they fiend for the iPad.
Speaker 1: And somebody told me that it's basically like smoking, and it you know, was for like our parents' generation, like they thought it relaxed you, they thought it was safe. And then it's like Oh no, it's like it's so dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's horrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: And then we've given them, you know, and then especially with COVID and everything, they had so much time on like an iPad or a device you know.
Speaker 2: Well during COVID, I was like, how could I like strap this to your head? Yeah, just you like go to it to your.
Speaker 1: Space something that I when I was like learning about you, something that I or doing a little bit of research something about you that I really.
Speaker 4: I love the idea of you researching me. That's like so funny.
Speaker 1: Searching, but like I just you know, like I follow you as a fan, but like I was just interested in like learning more about things that like every single person that's been on this podcast again only ten episodes, it's been someone that like is a.
Speaker 3: Friend of mine or that I know or that I relate to on some level.
Speaker 1: And one of the things that I really related to with you is like the body image stuff and stuff that like wouldn't ever because like when I look at you, I see like perfection, you know, just like so you know, like, but.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. My son's literally this morning are like grabbing my arms and they're like, you have like an old lady arm now like your your skin is hanging below your your bone. I'm just like and he's like, dad looks younger than you. Like, this is horrible shit when you addrust me, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I breast had all three of my kids and I was showering with my youngest and.
Speaker 3: He was little, and he was like, what's wrong with your boobs? And I was like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Like why are they so long?
Speaker 3: And I was like because of you? There long? Because of you. It's funny.
Speaker 2: But you go like I have no game anymore. I mean, yeah, no, it's horrible.
Speaker 3: It's horrible.
Speaker 1: I was wondering like how because you are you know, you are out there. I'm not like you know you like are married to an actor. You are an actress, you have a show, you do all these things, you write books, all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Like how does that affect you in your life?
Speaker 2: Body image wise?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like do you still do you ever like do you ever like go back into like a place where it is sort of like very much in your front of your mind or is it just like like oh I think that like you.
Speaker 2: Know, when I was younger, I was intorect sick, and I ended up like going you know, like putting myself into this like treatment program in Arizona, and then I like ran away to Europe for like, you know, half a year and was like hiding from the world to try to like get over it. And I don't know.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, I wouldn't say that you ever.
Speaker 2: I worked with this woman at Lese Rush, who's actually in in La and she's like nutritionist. She's amazing. Yeah, she's amazing. She's just like really was teaching me sort of like just cog behavioral type of stuff with with eating because I definitely feel like I grew up in a family, like a very vain family. My parents like there's literally a there's literally a newspaper article and I'm a baby and my mom has my legs and arms up and it's like we're putting Jenny I'm a low protein diet and we're doing baby callisthetics with her.
Speaker 4: I'm like, you wonder why I had a fucking eating disorder?
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, And then like I'm you know, acting, and it was like the time of like you know, Leslie Bib and Popular and Felicity, and it was just like you needed to be so like dangerously thin and like I I just felt like I had to do that to you know, like stay like in the game and be competitive. But then I ended up, uh, you know, working with a lease and getting to a place where I felt like I was no longer restricting, Like I can't imagine now, Like I don't know how I did it. I don't know how I had the WheelPower to like be hungry all day. I just don't have like now I can't. I hate.
Speaker 4: I get like.
Speaker 2: Anxiety when I'm on an airplane, like I'm like, I'm gonna starve. I need to eat my neighbor like I I eat like over I over eat on an airplane, Like crazy of the anxiety is being trapped there, don'teah.
Speaker 1: I packed crazy amounts of like sandwiches and things. When we go on an airplane and my husband will be like, it's an hour and a half flight, I'm like, but maybe they'll want a turkey sandwich, Like I don't know, you know.
Speaker 4: I eat through all my kids.
Speaker 2: Things I've found need to like me eating a whole papaya like sitting out the steeds is disgusting. We brought a whole brand Zeno with us to Germany once and Jason found it in our hotel room like a day later.
Speaker 4: He's like, what the fuck is this doing here?
Speaker 2: But so I feel like I got to a better place with eating in my body and like kind of like figured out like what worked for me. But the problem is then I fell into the wellness trap and that's like a whole different type of eating disorder where I my thyroid went hyper so I looked like skeletal after I had my second child and everybody was like, you know, what's wrong with you? You're like starving yourself again. Found out it was my thyroid. It's like an autoimmune thing. So they put me on this diet where it's like an AIP diet where I couldn't have like eggs, dairy, soy fucking gluten, any rain. And then I got into this place like after that where like I balanced my thyroid out eating that way, and I knew I can like follow a program for a little while until I like start binging out of control. But what happened I think with that was that like I became like afraid of food, Like I started like, oh my god, I'm I can't have if I eat gluten, it's I'm gonna something's gonna happen to me. My thyroid is gonna like ply out of control. And so then I was like purging again. And this is now like I'm like what forty I was like forty forty two years old, like making myself throw up because now it's not even about like how my physical body.
Speaker 3: Like trying to it's like this, it's like a it's like die.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna die if I eat this, And so like I had to like really work so hard to get myself out of that mind fuck.
Speaker 3: It's like so I was never inarexic.
Speaker 1: I mean my parents put me on adderall when I was twelve, so that like kind of did the anorexia for me. And meanwhile, I never had ADHD. I just had like a massive anxiety discorner. And I love them. They were doing their best, but I'm sure my mom also was like, oh, well, now you're thin and prettier, so like let's just stay on it. But then I became believe I was bleemic off and on throughout you know, all of high school, all of middle school, college. So that was I was never really inarexic. Although I guess being on adderall you don't eat ever, so and why.
Speaker 2: Do you think now? Like how do you feel now?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Then, so then I had my kids, and I was totally fine. When after I had my third kid, I struggled again. I think I just felt so overwhelmed. And it wasn't like I was never a binger, like I would never eat, you know, seven pizzas. I would just randomly eat like one piece of pizza and I would just like have like a full like why did I do that?
Speaker 3: Why did I eat that? And there were certain things that I would feel that was me too.
Speaker 2: Then i'd go nuts. I'm like, yeah, eat in my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I never did that.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't like I would just like I would just throw up. It wasn't even like I would like binge. So it was very odd interesting and I yeah.
Speaker 3: And it would just be.
Speaker 1: But I always felt this really big pressure to look a certain way, and for so long because I was on adderall for so long, sort of like that was I always like, that was what I mainly that was like how I measured feeling good enough about myself was by what I looked like.
Speaker 2: And so were you on that you were like not eating at all.
Speaker 3: I mean I was on adderall, but it was like basically I was on whatever it was. I don't even remember.
Speaker 1: I mean I was on riddle in first, and then you know, the adderall didn't even exist. And then I think that when you have ADHD and you're on adderall, it affects you much differently than when you don't have ADHD.
Speaker 2: You're on adderall, Right, were you so stressed out? Was that like all the time?
Speaker 3: I was like a chain smoker. And as soon as I went off of it.
Speaker 1: I remember my husband we got engaged and he was like, I don't think you're supposed to be on medicine, and I was like, I think you are extremely judgmental and I think you should stay in your lane. Meanwhile, he was totally right, and I went off of adderall and like never smoked a cigarette again, you know, unless like I was wasted and felt like it, but you know, just never. It was totally like I just was not supposed to be on it. But I really had never learned kind of like how to eat because from the time I was twelve to twenty four, I was on adderall.
Speaker 2: So they do actually like prescribe Vivance, which is sort of like another stimulant, right, or bolimya for BINGI die, Right, that's so interesting.
Speaker 4: Did like curve it in a way.
Speaker 1: It did, And but the days that I wouldn't take it, like on the weekends, it was like you know. And then and then I when like Manjarro first came out, I was like, sign me up because it quieted the noise for me in my brain. But it made me feel like shit. But I didn't even care because I was just like, but yeah.
Speaker 4: The voices, Yes, it's because.
Speaker 1: You why it made you feel like, right, No, I like still I go on and off, like I like decide like you know, like.
Speaker 3: I'll be on it.
Speaker 1: I never would go up because I'm also too anxious to go up in dosage, so I just stay on the lowest dose and it just like helps me where it's like I'm eating like a normal person instead of like obsessing over what I'm going to eat all the time. And I yes, and like I cook a lot and I eat, you know, like I'm not eating you know, crazy amounts or anything like that. But it was just like that was how for so long, that was like the barn matter of like my day was like how I what I weighed?
Speaker 3: You know, like what I looked like.
Speaker 2: It was literally you were weighing yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was like I didn't even care.
Speaker 1: It would be like that would be how I would like, am I gonna have a good day or a bad day? Like am I do I feel fat? Or do I feel fit? It was so like and I and I've worked with the therapists now for so long and so but it's just so interesting how it just sort of like you either have that in your brain chemistry.
Speaker 2: Is like or you don't. I don't know if it's ADHD, but I do think it is like some sort of like O c D. Like I think it's just interesting the people you know, it's so similar to like you know, Jason Sober, and I do feel like it's like it is that addict mentality. I say, totally like I can't like stop eating, you can like stop drinking, but like I have to still Like imagine if you still had to like work with alcohol in your life and.
Speaker 3: Right right, like you had to like have it to survive, but just enough to like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tricky. It's so tricky.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I never.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's not a conversation that people talk about a lot because like it's not really like sexy to be like, oh yeah, I make myself throw up, you know. But yeah, it's definitely. But my mom was always really really thin and just like pretty, and so I think, like.
Speaker 4: It's hard, like when you've a parent too, that's.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, and she never she was so supportive, but she was definitely like when I was your age, I was in the best shape of my life, you know, and I'd be like, oh, okay, why not, you know, but it's so But but that was definitely something that for me has been and the then also making sure I was almost like grateful, not that girls are the only ones that have this, but I was grateful that I had boys because.
Speaker 3: Oh I I was so scared like somehow, and then you realize they're listening to everything you say.
Speaker 2: You know, but I do think, you know, like my therapist Beth Becker, she's in LA she's our couple therapists, and she always says, she's like, I don't think the issues that you're aware of are the issues you give your kids. It's like we don't really realize is wrong with us yet that we're like, oh god, wait I did that to you?
Speaker 3: Like what's an example?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I mean just the things that I think are totally normal right now that they're going to be like what was wrong with you? Like me writing like his like entrance essay into like you know, his private school, and I'm like, like, it doesn't it's like aas. It's like this is like it's like a writing sample for you, but you know, like just I don't know different things or what's a good one recently? Yeah, there are just like things I sometimes feel like where Sid I let him get away with things and maybe I shouldn't like he I guess, Jason, this is so bad?
Speaker 3: Should I?
Speaker 4: Can I tell this story with the iPad or the thing Jason threw?
Speaker 2: Okay, so listen. Jason had this like it was like a like a Frogger game, like a you know, Vlenza's old school. It looks like an actual video game, but oh yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like really little.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sid lost his iPad, just kills me and has lost his iPad and so he's like sitting there on the like playing it, and Jason's like, Sid, get ready put that down and get ready. So he doesn't listen. He grabs it, he puts it on the other counter, Sid, go get ready. He turns around since looking on it again, Jason takes the frogger thing and he's like Sid and he just like throws it and it throws it across the wall and it hits a wall and like Sid just looks up and he's like, seriously you Like I wanted to be mad. My nanny told me the story first, so I was like prepared when said like came home to tell me, but like I thought, it was like, like I wanted to be mad. I did.
Speaker 3: What did Jason do?
Speaker 2: He was like, go to your room. We can't discipline them? What we can't what do we do? We can't hit them? What do we do these days? There's nothing. You can't discipline them. So they're not scared of us.
Speaker 3: I know, And literally I couldn't when.
Speaker 2: It's it's like are you mad at me? And I was like, honestly, no, it could be like he's gonna be like my mom looking totally should have like disciplined me when but if he's funny, then I like let him. Sometimes No, I know, it's hard it's hard.
Speaker 1: And is it just when don't your kids have like a hard time going to sleep or is that not still?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's that's been like the end of me. My youngest. It takes hours and hours and hours to put him to bed.
Speaker 2: They say that we should start earlier, right, I mean, I don't know, like he's not going to like he's not ready to sleep, and I'm going to be in there longer. But they actually say, I would just read a thing about this today that if you start earlier, they're actually going to go to sleep earlier.
Speaker 1: I mean, I try, but it's also like we get home from school, dinner, like the whole thing, and then I of.
Speaker 2: Course, yeah, it is anxious. I guess it's like like if they go to bed like too late, they're gonna start freaking out like it's already too late. But right, anxious kids to bed early. I guess they feel like, oh, well, I'm I shouldn't even be in here yet, and they can kind of like the melatonin in their body sort of takes over.
Speaker 1: I think maybe he's like missing the melatonin in his body because we go in there and he will like every single thing that's happened throughout the day will then be discussed. Anything that happened at school will be discussed. And then I'll be like, you know, I'm I'm all done talking now, and he'll be like, no, but I'm still talking and I need to talk about it because I need to get my feelings out. And I'm just like, oh, it's like I can't.
Speaker 3: I cannot.
Speaker 4: It just is for my mental health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's called a constant. I have absolutely no time.
Speaker 1: Last night, I finally put into bed, I sneak out, I come in my bed. Two seconds later, he's in my bed. I was like, what's happening? He sleeps with us almost every night? Is this your oldest my youngest?
Speaker 2: Oh, you're lucky.
Speaker 3: My seven year old every night.
Speaker 2: So like wants me to like wants to be inside my body?
Speaker 5: So do?
Speaker 1: My kids are all like that, which is like what did I do wrong? Like all the like stuff whatever? I felt like from my mom, I just like did times a thousand, you know, Like I'll be at every school pickup and I'm like, hey, you.
Speaker 4: Know, like, yeah, was your mom Like that was she there?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean she was great, but like she I don't think my mom ever dropped me off or pick me up from school ever in my whole life, and every day that.
Speaker 3: I would come home, she'd be getting a massage.
Speaker 4: Stop it because she had a really bad back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh my would be giving.
Speaker 1: Her a massage every single day when I would get home from school. Just during the week, like or like three days a week, she'd be getting a massage when I returned home.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's yeah. She was likea does that she's like over correcting, like for like because I feel like my mom wasn't really around and so Sam is also that way where she wants to be at every pickup and drop off. Yeah, I'm like that like super involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which I love.
Speaker 1: But I also then like then it creates like the opposite thing where I'm like, oh, I'm not picking you up today and they're like wait what do you mean?
Speaker 3: You know, and like life happens and like.
Speaker 2: And how could you do this to an innocent child?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you feel so much.
Speaker 1: Go my mom was around. She was so great. It's just like she was not packing our lunch.
Speaker 3: It. She just wasn't like she wasn't the mom.
Speaker 1: That you would think, like the typical mom, you know, like there would be no, Like she wasn't like in.
Speaker 3: The kitchen when I.
Speaker 1: Left for school, she was still sleeping, and I'd be like goodbye.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Work she did, she well, I mean she did a lot of charity work, and she was like on one of Clinton's cabinets. And she definitely like is like a very like bright, incredible smart woman.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't like.
Speaker 1: She didn't really like she was just also just like love you, Like I'm not a morning person. And I'd be like okay, you know, and like my dad would take up to errands.
Speaker 6: They're allowed to be they like totally weird, totally, and then we would have dinner every night together.
Speaker 1: She was always available, like I could always get her if I needed her, But it wasn't like she wasn't you know.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like here comes my mom.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: One time she packed us up from school.
Speaker 1: I mean I went to Buckley and they had like this armed like an arm that comes down whatever that is called, like for breaking, and she just drove through it in her black Jaguar. Yeah it was the one time she picked me up from school. Yeah, no, she just drove through it.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, nos, to stop.
Speaker 2: It was purpose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was just like I don't even know if it was I don't even know what.
Speaker 1: She just drove through, yeah, last Jaguar and I was like, oh god, yeah it was crazy.
Speaker 5: That is so funny, and it's so funny now because when I think about what kind of mom I want to be, you know, there's so much of her that I take with me, that I that I do, that I love, and then there's so much that I'm just like, it's amazing that I function like as a normal even like standing like how am I?
Speaker 3: How am I like not a complete and total just fuck up?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally. I think about that all the time. I'm like, how am I even like still married? Like how do I have a normal, like functioning relationship?
Speaker 3: Does he travel for work or is he mostly in New York?
Speaker 2: Also, Jason, he's been away a lot this year in Canada, but he I mean when he is around, he's like very around, very involved. And when he's not, that's when I get like very resentful because I'm like, wait, what, I didn't marry a working actor. You're a guy who's already been missed, Like do you find it sometimes.
Speaker 1: Easier though, when like he's not around, just because then it's just like you and you're running things the way you want to run them in your home times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, Like when he's gone, I'm like on it, it's everything's great. But when he comes home, then I'm right then and.
Speaker 1: You're like, wait, I've been Yeah, like like when you wake up in the.
Speaker 2: Middle of the night and like remember something from like ten years ago, and you're like, wait a minute, the fuck was that about? That's what happens when he comes home. So it takes a while. Re Entry is very hard.
Speaker 3: How did you guys meet?
Speaker 2: We did a movie together. We did this movie, My best Friend's Girl, this Kate Hudson movie, and we were we were like married nine months later. It was very fast fast. We really didn't know each other when we got weird, which again is like how did it work out? I don't know?
Speaker 3: Just And how long have you guys been together?
Speaker 2: Seventeen years in April? Oh wow, yeah, well eighteen years. We've been married seventeen years in April.
Speaker 3: Rob and I will be married sixteen years in June.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it crazy?
Speaker 3: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 2: Insane?
Speaker 1: I know, I feel like who I feel like first way too young and then that long Yeah, and I also just feel like it feels so quick, and then it also feels like forever.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's insane. My relationship is like almost old enough to vote, Like I know it's not okay.
Speaker 3: Do you guys go away alone together? Like, do you guys? Do you make that a priority?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well, we have to work together, so like we we are often alone together in that capacity, like la, we have to leave the kids in New York.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, prior to this year.
Speaker 2: I feel like we did go We would go away like once or twice a year, but lately, no, we have not been away together. We're rarely together at all right now, just because he's finishing this movie.
Speaker 4: So I feel like, yeah, do you guys like working together?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like it depends on what it is, you know. Like I think we've worked together in so many different capacities where it's like either we're both in somebody else's movie and we have no scenes together, Fine, that works fine. We've been things where like I wrote it and he's acting in it. That's also great because then I'm like in control of him and can tell him to, like, you know, do it again. But then like sometimes, like we had a show in Serious Together, which was a disaster. It was like a radio show where we would just literally get into fights like every fucking episode. And yeah, I don't know, like who was listening. Maybe it was great radio, I don't know. And then this CBS show or this TVs show, it's like we kind of it's like we have to dance together because there are a lot of different components.
Speaker 3: It's dinner.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever saw that in the nineties, where it's like we're watching the movie and then we come back and we interview people from the movie. We're making food, we're playing games.
Speaker 4: It's just like very so fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun, but it's like a lot of moving parts, right, so when on good days like the first Trunch, we were definitely ready to fucking kill each other. And I feel like the behind the scenes were probably like the best part of that show. But then this last time, we kind of figured out our groove and and it was more more seamless. But like I always say, Jason is a child actor. He's been working since he was like five years old. He has like his his sad card is like from the eighties. So with Jason, he's just so used to like going in and doing his own thing, and so like even yesterday we were on Drew Barrymore and he's like storming down the hall like get onto set, and I was like, Jason, can you fucking wait? You're like, oh, pilot, like hello, you know.
Speaker 4: So I feel like remind him every now and then to.
Speaker 3: Like he's used to sort of just doing his own thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, completely right.
Speaker 1: And is that like do you guys feel like there's the dinner in a movie show what would be your ultimate ultimate like movie and then guest to have on it?
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, or what's the favorite what's the favorite one the evening?
Speaker 2: I mean I would want to do like Rocky Horror Picture Show and have like Tim Curry on. I would like love a Tim Carey moment Jason. Jason wants to do like one of the American Pies, just because he has so many funny like behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like an iconic movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so like he We've talked about that, but I don't know, it's kind of it's kind of whatever they can get the rights to.
Speaker 1: Right, what has been the favorite What has been your favorite one that you guys have done together.
Speaker 2: We just did the wedding singer and we have so good Lauren and I love Christine. She's so I love her and she's I just yeah, I want to see her like work more and more. She's so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Great.
Speaker 2: And then we had Beverly di'angelo.
Speaker 5: On Oh my gosh, she had Chris uh National Lampoon's Cristacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was so good. Oh my gosh. She was so amazing in the First Vacation too.
Speaker 4: And she's a trip like she is funny.
Speaker 3: That's such a cool show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like it's kind of fun. It's always like a random Sometimes it's like Michael Voltagio and we'll do like a he made this like Rocky Road ice cream, like dry ice ice cream, and still like dream about it. So there's you know, certain things about it.
Speaker 3: Where do you still do those like crazy lunches for your kids?
Speaker 2: No, because the schools they both go to, I'm not allowed to send food.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you did like Michelin star lunch boxes.
Speaker 2: I had so much fun with it. I had so much fun with it. But you know it is like I now look back and I'm like, God, like I really can't believe all the like tools and like I got, so that was amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean my kids like barely eat a sandwich, So I'm always like do you think that you like, how.
Speaker 3: Did you do that?
Speaker 2: I think it was just like I wanted them to like be open minded about trying things. I didn't want to feed them like they were kids. I didn't want them to like eat off like like menu, and so I just kept like throwing random things in there. And it started because I got in a fight with like the German school. My kids speak German.
Speaker 4: They were at a German school, a German school.
Speaker 2: And like the teacher got mad because I sent like like a boo bun like with like instructions on how to reheat it.
Speaker 3: She was like like.
Speaker 2: Get a grip. And so then after like they complained, I just started like really needling them. And when I sent like a crab leg and then like I set like a little on new that I wanted them to eat up.
Speaker 4: You just got it. Just like really, it's amazing that they would heat it up from there.
Speaker 3: And now are they amazing eaters?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I mean Laslo right now, it's more like of a power struggle where he found out about pasta with butter, and I keep having to remind him that like he's Italian, like he literally has an Italian visa citizenship. He can't not eat red sauce, but Sid really eats everything. Sid. Sid is like, you know, more adventurous.
Speaker 3: I would say, ah, my kids, like I tried that.
Speaker 1: I and I love cooking, and my oldest we cooked together and he's better at it. But my two younger ones, like my youngest will eat like nothing, like he just will eat.
Speaker 3: Just carbs, and I'm like, you can't exist.
Speaker 2: You can't just like live on a bagel.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: And I saw that, like I saw like I think I sometimes like when I'm putting him to bed, Oh my god, I'd moved the thing I watched. I read the daily mail and like this you can go blind from like not getting enough nutrients, and a kid did. And now I'm like convinced that that's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be like can you get like shakes going?
Speaker 1: He doesn't like there's it's just like he's he like I mean, I've tried smoothies. It depends he'll be like really into something and then he'll like never want to see it again, like it's we like.
Speaker 3: Love it, love it, love it. I go to the market, I buy a bunch of them and then he's like, oh no, I hate that. And I'm like, wait, wait, I eat it. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So funny, Oh my god, I get it, though.
Speaker 3: It's too much, it's crazy funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, do you have like a you You and your mom are super close too.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah? Yes, I mean she's like a good friend of mine. Yes, she's a good friend.
Speaker 3: Is she a good amma?
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know. I don't know. I'll just never forget her saying to like my little niece who was like eating a sugar pocket. This was years ago. She's like, don't eat that sugar or you're gonna get a fat ass. And I was like, I can't talk to a child that way, like me to put you in a closet. I mean, she can be just intense or but she also like kind of stoops to their level. Like still'll be like, what are you gonna do about a nana? And she's like, oh, you know, like she kind of comes at him. It's funny, like she really is a character. I'll just say that she's a character.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like sometimes you're like her or do you try to sort of like do it differently or are you even aware?
Speaker 2: I think I like her in this sense that like i'd like to like, you know, like I don't like to follow rules.
Speaker 4: I can be like kind of you know, like.
Speaker 2: My kids would definitely say, like Jason's like a rule dorc and he's like, we do it this way, and I'm just like, come on, guys, we're going on this side. Everybody jump over, you know. And so I'm that's like very Peggy. Like I definitely think I have that side of Peggy. And I'm a free spirit like Peggy. But as like a mom, I think I'm a little different. I think I'm right yright. I think it's just but honestly think it's more generational thing than it is. Like I think if Peggy were born in this time, she might have felt more compelled to like stay married to one of her husbands or you know what I mean, just different things.
Speaker 3: But at that point she was just like no, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Nah, She's like, no, free love.
Speaker 3: And I do you is your sister.
Speaker 1: Do you guys all sort of have the same relationship with your mom or is it to do?
Speaker 2: I think it's different. I My sister lived with my mom longer than I did. I like moved to live with my dad for high school, so it will like eighth grade high school. So Sam and my mom are a little bit more enmeshed, I would say, But I don't know, Like I think that we both sort of like see my mom the same way, right, we just you know, have a different reaction into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the way that like my mom parented versus like the way that it would be now. But it's interesting because I think my mom's also like aware of it. Like she'll be like, oh God, like I she will be like, wait.
Speaker 6: You do that.
Speaker 3: She'll be like you do so much?
Speaker 1: And I'm like no, I just like I do like the things that like I have to do that I have to do.
Speaker 3: Like she'll be like, it's just so much.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, that's like that's that's that's that's what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, but yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, I'm always like what.
Speaker 2: Matt at Petty, Like she'll be like, I can't believe she said this and I'm more like, wait, say it again, let me film me. You say, that's the difference.
Speaker 3: That is so fun. I feel like we have like very we have like similar, similar, similar lives.
Speaker 4: Yes, like I think we processed from the same way.
Speaker 1: Maybe we turn to be like really funny, really vulnerable and then like.
Speaker 3: Then I'll just be like a total bitch one day.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I definitely I do. I think I struggle with the the same anxiety just because I didn't feel like that like scene or like taking care of it felt like I had to like really like be aware of everything.
Speaker 3: Like hyper vigilant.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I know I had so many people watching, and yet I still didn't feel like I mean, we had like Nanny's and so many people and then my mom and then my dad, and they were both like so loving, but I never felt like they really like I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, I just was like, hello, what's happening?
Speaker 2: You know you did like see I've seen by them.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, that's I think the part.
Speaker 1: And then I think like, like you'll go back into like you know, like I'll go to their house they live around the corner, and I like my husband be like you literally revert back to a fourteen year old when you're in that home and I'm like, I guess I do you know, so I've had to like work on that too. Yeah, my dad and I'll get into like fights, and like my kids are like what.
Speaker 3: Are you doing?
Speaker 2: Why are you yelling at yelling at you? I'm just like I don't know, like you know what I mean, like, gosh, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's like at my house is like it could be like a sociological experiment.
Speaker 2: This is so funny. Did you read his books? The children's books?
Speaker 3: They do?
Speaker 1: My kids, like my youngest just like brings it in and is like my papa wrote this book, doesn't read it, doesn't care. My older one read it, like you know, and then my younger one, my middle one definitely read it. But then also it was like can I get a poster of Papa for my room? And then it's just like his way of like being like, yeah, it's just like they favorite Grandpa.
Speaker 2: That's funny. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: I hadn't actually framed and my rob came home and he was like, what what is that?
Speaker 3: And I was like, jewels wanted it. And now it's like a framed picture of the Fonds in his bedroom.
Speaker 4: That's hysterical.
Speaker 3: It's really fun.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 4: You're the best, of course, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is so fun.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to hear you and your mom. I'm gonna definitely tuning in.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well she'll be back. I hope she'll be back next week. That's my hope.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm so grateful, like, I can't wait. She's really funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm really I'm really so jealous.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Amber is the best. Our kids went to preschool together.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's how we met.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but my mom and I are going to do a body image a body image talk.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for that.
Speaker 3: It'll be really good. Yeah I love that. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Okay bye.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that was so much fun. I love talking with Jenny. She's so open and honest and vulnerable and funny. And I love talking with her about body image because I think it's something that not enough people talk about. And I am so grateful that you guys listened. So please follow us at What in the Winkler Pod on Instagram. Please like and subscribe to our podcast US and I will see you guys next week.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm