Speaker 1: Thank you everybody for joining us for this Park Copper episode of Magical Rewind.
Speaker 2: We've got kind of.
Speaker 1: A cool one today because you know, we like going back and watching the old stuff, we very much do, but we're also super intrigued by a lot of the new stuff and the last movie movie before last. A couple movies ago, we watched one of the newest dcms that we've ever watched, Sleeper Party or what we'd like to call teen Hangover, and we both really really liked it, and we didn't want to tell you then because we wanted to surprise everybody. But we were so excited for our guest today because she is the star.
Speaker 2: I mean, arguably the star.
Speaker 1: I would say the star right because it's an ensemble piece, but she was the star of this movie, carried the film and did such a great job.
Speaker 2: We cannot wait to talk to her, so please help us. Welcome Darby Camp.
Speaker 3: The hell.
Speaker 4: Hello, I'm excited to be here, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: We are so excited to have you on.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're aware, but we just recapture movie and we both really loved it.
Speaker 5: We loved it, and I have to say you as an ensemble cast were so fun to watch. I want to say you and your love interest were probably well and NIC's favorite couple on a d com. I mean, you guys are up in the time. We're talking like Vanessa and Zach, who, like you guys, were just so unbelievably adorable. We loved your storyline, we loved the chemistry between you guys, and we'll get out like my favorite part between you two as far as like just the best moment ever. I couldn't been a bigger fan for you in a little bit. But thank you so much for coming and being on our podcast. This is amazing.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm so happy to this is gonna be a lot of fun. I did listen to the recap of the movie and it was a lot of fun. And my mom and I watch it or listen to it together and we really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: So they okay, good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So then maybe you don't know for our interviews, but you're not gonna be able to talk at all. We're just gonna be gushing at you the whole time for how awesome the movie was.
Speaker 3: So you know, we are one.
Speaker 6: Hundred and ten d coms in yeah, and fifteen d coms in and so seeing and the vast majority of them that we watch are the old school ones. So to see what Disney's doing, and we'll get into the movie, we want to first start with where you came from and how you found yourself on the set.
Speaker 2: But the thing we're so.
Speaker 1: Intrigued by is normally Disney with their new movies, it's these big, huge tent pole projects.
Speaker 2: It's Zombies, it's Descendants.
Speaker 1: So to have one of the kind of one off movies that is like an old school d com but brought into.
Speaker 2: The new world was just great. But we'll get into that. So that is.
Speaker 3: Usually our first question.
Speaker 1: What's your origin story, How did you become an actor and how did you find yourself in the business of show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my mom is also an actress. She went to school for it and got her degree. And when my sister and I were very little, my mom was, you know, going to auditions, and there was one that was like, if you have your own kids, bring them in that will like help you with this commercial or whatever. The great and so she's like, oh, perfect, my kids are so great. So she brought us in and I had a lot of fun and my mom was like, let's get you some auditions, maybe we can hook you up with the agent. And my sister was like, yeah, it's not for me. She that she was like, yeah, I'm not really that dramatic. I'm more into sports. And I was like, I would love to cry on camera, Let's do it. So I just started auditioning and it kind of just got the ball rolling. I'm from North Carolina and I still live here in Charlotte, and so it's been very like a great blessing to be able to be here and like submit tapes and still like be seen in the industry even though I'm which there is a lot of stuff happening over here, but how this world you can be anywhere and still you know, send in tapes. And so yeah, I was in high school when I auditioned for Summer Party, and I didn't hear about like I was in that waiting time, like after I had done the tape and I did a zoom with I think it was Emmy and Alex who were and maybe it was all three of us, so the girls from it like wow. And so it was in Veronica the director and it was in that period of like waiting and I was like, really nervous, but I was homecoming princess and a cheerleader, and so I got to do all of like that four like high school like events. And then right after it, I was at my best friends volleyball game and my dad walked in and was like, we need to leave tomorrow, and I was like, are you serious, We're driving, let's go.
Speaker 1: So you were actually living a dcom'oming prince and then you get to actually be in a dcom.
Speaker 5: That is such a good point as far as how the industry has changed, because so many back when Will and I were auditioning, if you were living in North Carolina and you had an agent and things were starting to kind of kick up for you, you and at least one of your chaperones would have to basically either moved to New York or move to LA to actually really pursue the career. So then you kind of have to put your home life to the side for a bit, or at least for like pilot season or things like that, where you'd be face to face with these you know, big career changers, these you know talent scouts, the casting directors, And that's so amazing that you've gotten to have the chance of have the best of both worlds. You're living Anna about Danna's Live Girl.
Speaker 1: That's how I.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I feel so blessed, and it's it's really been cool. And my friends that I've grown up with here, I've known them like been at the same school with them since kindergarten, and so it's been cool to be able to have the opportunity to have one foot in both worlds.
Speaker 5: Literally, yes, okay, I've got I've got to go straight to like one of my biggest questions. I'm just dying. I've thought about it almost the entire time. Watch when you were doing the casting, at what point, Well, first, did they actually make you shave your eyebrow?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, I did.
Speaker 4: Hear that like in the producer's room, Like when they were talking about it, a lot of the producers were like, so we'll have her shave her eyebrow. Do this, And then like one of the women was like, well, we're not gonna make this fifteen year old girl shaver eye.
Speaker 5: We can't do that.
Speaker 4: But it was like almost like a given that they were like, oh, yeah, she'll shave her eyebrow. And someone I don't know who it was, but someone was like, no, no, no, we're not going to make her do that.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly.
Speaker 5: I love that she that she advocated for you for that, because then that was my next question, like what was the process now that you're done with the movie to regrow your eyebrow? Like how do you shape it? Did it come in natural form? Like that was like my whole thing. So I'm so glad you didn't have to go through that because yes, at fifteen, that would have been a very hard thing to do. But now that they've got such great makeup and everything, because it definitely looked like it was gone. It did not look it looked like you fully shaved it, and that was just But even still, every day to walk around with no eyebrow did it? Did you walk like go to just go to the restroom and wash your hands and realize, oh, yeah, that's right, I don't have an eyebrow like that? Even still, every day had to have been a little jarring.
Speaker 4: It was definitely like in the beginning, it was it took some getting used to and I would snapchat my friends from home and be like I would like, go open my soundchat and then it pop up, be like oh yeah, and then I'd like send my friends picture and I did crankle a lot of them. In the beginning, I was like why I actually had to do it, But I ended up getting used to it, and it was kind of like cool to be able to you know, like see what that would be like, yeah, having to do that, but exactly.
Speaker 1: Then wash it off, washed it off like that you said that you you know, you're still talking to your friends.
Speaker 2: You grew up with all your friends.
Speaker 1: You obviously have like a great friendship base, back home, family base, you know, the whole support system. But when I was a kid growing up and auditioning, it still made you weird that you were the actor kid.
Speaker 2: Did you ever grow up? I mean, was was it?
Speaker 1: Did you have that stigma on you at all in school where it was like, oh, she's different, she's the actor or that type of thing, or was everybody just totally cool with the career path that you had chosen.
Speaker 4: It was definitely a mix. I I had my best friends that were close that I had known my whole life, and then when you get to middle school. Actually in middle school, my sixth and seventh grade year, I wasn't in school because that was when I was like working these like two straight years. I did Christmas Chronicles and then Clifford and then Christmas Chronicles two, and so I wasn't in school. And then I came back in eighth grade and it was COVID year. So it wasn't always in person, but high school it got a lot bigger and there were a lot of newer kids, and it definitely was that stigma of like, oh, like I know who that is, Like you just can come and go and a lot of people would just like walk by and be like, yeah, let me get my let me get your autograph.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't there.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like bad, but there were always always be someone making a comment and things like that.
Speaker 5: There's always that girl that's a hater. You just can't get rid of them. They are always around. It is tough, like it's a tough, tough role. I'm sure you went through. I did that when I was doing commercial. I went through one of my best friends finding out, oh I did some job commercial, this that the other way, dance with somebody, and then it was like one of my stupid friends would say something to the wrong person. Then it was like, oh, yeah, she's not in that commercial. Yeah right, And then finally the commercial and I just have to be like, okay, whatever, I wasn't in it, you're right, And then it come out and be like okay, well all right. So there's that. But so there is those girls that just you can't get away from.
Speaker 3: And honestly, if.
Speaker 5: You go if you were this like kick ass soccer player or whatever, like and doing big teams, you know, like a big travel team, there be haters about that too. It's just unfortunate that, you know, high school, junior high in high school, it is rough. Okay, it is not and it is not safe in the streets on the high school all of arts.
Speaker 3: So Darby, looking at the.
Speaker 1: List of the people you've worked with, it's the only word is insane for the just the sheer number of amazing people you've worked with. And we can go through everything, and I would love to go through kind of in order, but just some of the names are like Julia Roberts and Sean Penn, Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Zoe Kravitz, Laura Dern, Clifford.
Speaker 3: The biggest one of it them all, Carl Russell, Goldie Hawn.
Speaker 1: Now I'm just curious because obviously we're from very different generations, But did you know who all these people were as you were working with them? Or was your mom kind of coming up going do you realize you're with Kurt Russell and goldiehn and You're like, who, that's just the people I'm working with? So did you did you realize the kind of caliber of actors that you were put amongst?
Speaker 4: Honestly, yes and no, so big little lies. I was eight and that was when I was Reese Witherspoon's daughter, and you know, also had scenes with Nicole Kidman and Zoe Kravitz, Laura Dern as you mentioned, and Meryl Streep was in season two, which reason one. I was eight and I had no idea. I was like, oh, like, these are so nice. I was like, mom, why are you so nervous? Like these are just lovely women playing my mom? And I honestly I didn't even know. And then season two rolled around, I was oh, I was a few years older, and I was like, okay, I do know where else stream? And like then I obviously knew the women around me, like you know, my common like since came about but I was like, this is real street. But they were all so you know, professional, and so amazing to me and really treated me like you know, a peer, and like I wasn't, you know, just a little girl, like I don't want to like their mom's gonna fangirl over me, blah blah blah blah. But they were so generous and kind and gave time for you know, each one of my family members when they would come and visit and everything, and it is kind of cool that even Christmas chronicles Kurt Rustle and going on. I was like, awesome, like great to be. But my Paul, Paul, my grandfather, he loves Kirt Russell and so he would He actually did come to set and got to meet him, which was really special, but he was like boond vangirling. Honestly, I was like, really, okay, that would have been me.
Speaker 3: That would have been me.
Speaker 1: Now I'm just realizing, Darby, I'm probably closer and east to your grandfather than your dad mom.
Speaker 2: So that's that's horrifying. But that's all right.
Speaker 1: Can you tell talk a little bit about especially as a kid, you know, what's the difference between being on a set like big Little Lives with all the adults and being on a set like Clifford, which is more kid based.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, I mean they were both great experiences, but it is different when you're around more like mostly adults and big little lives. I wasn't you know, a Clifford. It was me like every single day I was working a lot and big lies. I was more in and out. But it definitely, you know, everyone has been so kind, but growing up with adults from a young age has been you know, honestly a blessing too, because I feel like, but sometimes with high school not a curse, but being in high school it made it a little bit more hard of like, you know, it was just like I feel like, like, what's it just made high school a little bit harder to be like.
Speaker 5: Around you know, younger kids with what they were talking about that kind of.
Speaker 4: Stuff, which I still felt like I was one of them and obviously fit in. But it has been great to be able to grow up alongside such adults that could really guide me in life experiences and you know, be such great role models, and even being in this line of work that I love so much at such a young age has been such an amazing blessing, and everyone who I've worked with has like welcomed me with open arms and been like, I'll be in your corner if you ever need anything like and being able to help me grow in this industry as well.
Speaker 2: That's great. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's it's strange.
Speaker 2: It's a very.
Speaker 1: Strange job to be a young actor because it is you on a Tuesday and a Wednesday, on a set, you are treated more like an adult. You have a job, your expected responsibilities, and then you go back to school on Thursday and you look around at other people your age and you kind of realize.
Speaker 2: It's not the same. It's just it's just not the same.
Speaker 1: You're in this whole new category of you're still a kid, but you've also seen the world through more adult eyes. And then you see your friends sometimes playing a fool at fifteen, and you're kind of.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I'm already over that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I get I get what you're saying. It's very strange, but.
Speaker 5: I do love that you're still very much surrounded by it, because there is a difference. I will say, because I continued, I graduated all the way through high school while auditioning and you know, doing a lot of work and things like that. And I will say there was a difference between my friends that were homeschooled that were I knew in the industry versus my friends that went to school and the industry kids kind of had one goal, like we all had a common goal, right, And then I had friends that you know, wanted to be doctors, wanted to be athletes. You know, there was like a lot more diverse. So I love that you're getting both both worlds. I've I've always been very very fortunate to look back and feel like I got a good sense of a kid that like knew they wanted to be an actor, had this one goal. And then I had kids that like didn't really some of them just didn't even know. Man, they didn't even figure it out. They're halfway through college and some of them, I'm like, did you ever figure that out?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: So I do love that you have such a wide, versatile group of people that are around you. And then you also had some really it sounds like some really great you know, people that were helping you figure it out as an adult too, Like give you knew that mentorship? That is wonderful. And I mean to be able to say like Reese Witherspoon, she follows you on ig like what my god? Like that is cool as well?
Speaker 1: It is okay, So you get the script for slumber Party. Now at this point, had you heard or seen the Hangover?
Speaker 4: I have heard of it, but I haven't watched it, okay. So I remember getting the script and I read it immediately, and one sitting I was like laying in my bed. I read it and I was laughing out loud, and my parents were like, she's still reading me out across the house laughing out loud. And I jumped up and I was like, Mom, you dad, you have to read this right now, like I'm doing this. I am doing this. But also I was like I haven't seen the Hangover. But my parents were like, this is very similar to the Hangover, and I was like, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: I need I'm sure I'll love it if it's like this. But I remember it was like the first week of me being on set. My mom and I were in our hotel and we like called it up and watched I think we watched like maybe we watched like the two first two back to back. I was really enjoying just like putting together all the parallels and a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: As you grew up? Were you a Disney Like? What generation are you? As far as when it comes to d coms or the Disney Channel in general, like what were the big shows? Were you a fan of them? Did you watch the channel? Was the channel? I mean, I don't know, will Where are we at right now?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Were you a Disney kid?
Speaker 1: There's so many different generations of Disney kids, We're curious were you one as well?
Speaker 4: I definitely was. I loved Disney Channel like that was my jam. High School Musical two was the first movie I saw in theaters actually nice and I didn't last long until I was down at the front doing a bunch of dances and sing. But High School mus School definitely was a big thing. Hannah Montana but mostly like Hannah Montana the movie because the show was coming out. I think the show came out before I was bored. Yeah, the show was coming out. I would watch it grow up, But the movie came out like right at that perfect age. I loved THEO or the hand Montana movie.
Speaker 5: High School Musical was Camp Rock out during that time?
Speaker 4: Yes, Camp Rock and the good. Look Charlie Christmas movie, which is kind of random.
Speaker 2: We have not.
Speaker 5: And I didn't even know there was Christmas. I feel like we need to do Christmas in June.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's gonna.
Speaker 4: Happen, and like shows like it looked Charlie Austin Alley. I loved Austin Alley, but I guess more of that.
Speaker 5: So when this audition of had you done any auditions for any other d coms or Disney Channel stuff up to this point?
Speaker 4: I remember I did a test. Oh, Jesse was another one. I loved Jesse and I did an in person screen test. Were bunked with Peyton list by Jackson, and that for me, that was like one of those fangirl moments.
Speaker 5: I was so nervous. Did you see them like in the hallway or did you see them when you went into the room, like when did the nurse take it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Joy?
Speaker 4: I maybe saw them in the hallway, but Sky Jackson's mom was in the waiting room and we started talking to her and then realized it was Sky Jackson's mom and my mom and her like kept chatting it up like after I went in and stuff, and I was like, wait, that's like crazy like world I'm in, but it was probably more in their room, like just like being this close to them and like talking to them, like reading, like acting with them. I was like, that is crazy, but that was probably the biggest you know, like other Disney Channel moment audition that I had.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: So was this a dream?
Speaker 2: I mean? Was was Disney Channel a dream of yours? Growing up? You knew you wanted to be an actor?
Speaker 1: You love the channel where you watching the shows, going like that, that's what I want to be right there?
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely I wanted to be. I just remember camp Rock. I loved in high school musicool the singing and dancing, like I love musicals. I I want a flash mob. I wanted that to be our senior prank. I was like, let's do a flash mob at school for a senior prank, like high school school. But I I really I haven't done a musical yet.
Speaker 5: But that well you got to do. Did you guys actually get to record or did you just do it on camera? You guys got to sing in this movie. A couple of times they did it.
Speaker 4: Yes, we recorded it, And okay was that cool?
Speaker 5: In like a recording studio and doing the whole thing like it was.
Speaker 4: It was amazing. I was so nervous in there because I don't have a lot of singing background. I've more recently started getting into the singing like training and world like that. So hopefully in the future I'll have some upcoming things, but it was so nerve wracking just being in the studio and the voice coach we had that was helping us, she was like, oh, I worked with on the Pitch Perfect movies, and I was like, I said, oh my god, that pitch may not be perfect. But she was so nice and really made me feel comfortable, and hearing it back like was so emotional because I got so close with those girls filming this and hearing like our voices together after, you know, talking about how excited we were to record this and the possibility of I was like, I don't know where this is gonna go, Like if we're doing press, what if we have to sing it live one day? Like never know. But we actually didn't get to do any press or have a premiere because it came out during the strike, and so day before my flight to go out for press, the premiere, like all this stuff, everything got canceled and so this is like real like interview I've had about Oh, I'm really excited.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you guys there was an actual premiere in the lineup. You guys were like set to come. Was it here in La or it's going to be in La.
Speaker 2: No, I'm so sorry that you got that arable.
Speaker 3: They did a hangover.
Speaker 5: So many premieres in your lifetime, girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Don't they did a hanglo two. So slumber party two.
Speaker 5: Slumber Party two. Oh man, I would be in on it. Okay, that is that is what a bummer. That's a bummer.
Speaker 1: I say, I'm pitching slumber party two. It's the night before graduation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love this.
Speaker 5: Wait, I love it. I'm gonna need to know, like who is one of you is going to be a ASB president, like a student council president, Like one of you is like ruling the world. It might be Veronica.
Speaker 4: You might have to be her.
Speaker 5: She has got like now she went from home school to ASB president. There's no better up from there.
Speaker 1: That's actually, Sabrina, that's a perfect transition. You talked about how close you got with your fellow cast a. What was it like, were we so you were all so wonderful in this I mean, you obviously carried the film, we talked about it, but Alex, we were kind of amazed that this was her first project. It seemed like we were trying to do the research, but it's like she's never been in anything before, because she was wonderful in this movie.
Speaker 3: So was when the.
Speaker 2: Four of you got together, was it instant?
Speaker 1: I mean just kind of you said you did a zoom chemistry read, which which again I guess for the younger generations, is totally normal. I couldn't imagine feeling the chemistry over zoom, but that's what we all do nowadays. But when you were all in the room together, did it just instantly click? Because man, it did on film.
Speaker 4: Thank you it. Honestly, I was so nervous that I felt a little you know, I had to warm up a little bit. And it was definitely it wasn't an instant click per se. But each day got closer and closer, and it was probably by the second week that it was like, Oh, we're we're friends for life, Like this is gonna be gonna be fun. And and as you were saying, Alex, this being their first film, even I like being on set with them and you know, working alongside of them. They are so talented and so good at everything that they do on screen and off screen. Just such an amazing person and friend. Like, I am so excited to see what they're going to do in the future.
Speaker 3: I apologize.
Speaker 1: I hear you saying they I didn't know if they were non binary, so we'll certainly make sure that that's okay in there.
Speaker 2: No, no, but I certainly didn't know.
Speaker 1: But that's yeah, because they came on and all of all of you together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's like because it's like the Hangover.
Speaker 1: One of the things that made the Hangover so wonderful is everybody their characters were not only so perfectly delineated, but worked so perfectly together together. Yeah, And that's one of those things where, especially in d comms or Disney movies, maybe one actor stands out or two actors stand out, but sometimes the ensemble isn't always necessarily there. And this was one of the things we talked about, well again you listened to it, is that even the smaller characters that came in for uh, you know, a day player kind of character, they all were so wonderful in Slummer party, the band, the people in the band, and obviously your love interest. Everybody they cast just seemed to work. And that's why it's kind of amazing that the first chemistry test was on zoom.
Speaker 5: I can't believe that that cast is truly, truly remarkable.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm sorry, this is just the way my mind works. So now it's this, it's the night of graduation. It's the little sister that goes missing.
Speaker 4: That's perfect.
Speaker 3: And yes, and.
Speaker 1: So you you're still with, your character is still with You've been to high school sweethearts the whole time, with your love interest.
Speaker 2: Coming back.
Speaker 5: More than disappointed.
Speaker 2: Because he's a year ahead.
Speaker 1: So he's coming back from college to be there for your graduation. The whole wacky night ensues, and maybe it all starts with a prank from your rival high school team. You reverse it, so the rival team starts something that starts the whole night.
Speaker 2: And so I'm sorry, I'm already writing.
Speaker 5: It away, will That's okay. So one of the best things, and we see it right from the beginning of this movie, is this freaking hedgehog that you guys are writing. I've got to know, first of all, I don't know if your mom ever really exposed you to like Dumb and Dummer. But this was like the Disney version of a shagging wagon. It was so good, so creative. I was scared for you most of the time because I could not figure out if you were holding on to something there where you buckled in, like it looks so dangerous. Tell me about your guys' time on this hedgehog. How much fun was it? Just tell me it was fun. It had to have been.
Speaker 4: So much fun. And I'm so happy you mentioned Dumb and Dummer. That is one of my favorite movies of all time, and exactly what it felt like when they're you know, coming up the hill and like bound. It was this hedgehog. Hedgie the hedgehog was our best friend for a while and had a lot of days, you know with with him, and we were strapped in. I had a seat belt and like it was kind of like bike handles that I was holding around.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's yeah towards the end, but for a long time you cannot tell that those handles.
Speaker 4: Are exactly And we all had our helmets of course, safety first, and it was cool with Alex and Emmy on each side. They had a harness on and they were hooked up like on the side of it with like you know, wires could not fall off.
Speaker 5: But it was someone driving.
Speaker 3: Actually inside driving.
Speaker 4: So it was actually a go kart, and we had our stunt coordinator in the gokart like in the Hedgehog, and he was driving it underneath. That is so kill It was sick. And we actually were freely going on the road like in the real road. There were some scenes that were green screen, like the close ups and like all our screams and all of that, but no, we were actually on the road like going in this go car and it was so much fun. And the best part, which I love, is just the freedom to be able to just go crazy. They're like, we want to hear you scream, We want to hear you just be absolutely terrified, like yell, do it all. And I was like, let's just go crazy and it was such a cool experience.
Speaker 1: What was the shooting schedule like, because you're essentially in every scene of the film, I mean, did you have any time to yourselves to to explore Atlanta, to just go out and hang out or were you four just working the entire time?
Speaker 4: We mostly were working for most of the time. We all were still in high school and under eighteen, so we had our child labor laws of we can only work at school, so I could work. How much could I work?
Speaker 2: Eight hours? I think, oh it was a ten and a half now, okay and and a.
Speaker 4: Half, and then built in three hours of school and an hour and a half of rest relaxation. So it felt very you know, not rush, but it was like fast paced of like okay, here go get your twenty minutes of school, do this, and then we need you here and then we need you there. But I love that. I'm like, you know, I'm I'm here to have fun and I like the fast pace. But I would crash, like immediately, get hold. And we did work a lot of Saturdays, which you know that happens and not every Saturday, but I still did have some time, you know, we went to It was during Halloween, and so we went to some haunted houses in Atlanta as a group and director. We dressed up because we had to work on actual Halloween. So like on one of the weekends, we dressed up and went to the haunted house like it was like the day before sometime near Halloween, and I on actual Halloween after work. I remember Ramone who's Jake and I and our moms we went and saw I think we saw a Smile in the theaters, like the horror movie after work, and so we did have a lot of time to like, you know, do fun things on our time off and just spend time together. That was like the biggest thing is even if we were working, you know, like a lot, and every day, it was always together And I love that so much.
Speaker 2: How much was it that?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's it's so true, because I'm just curious how much was the experience different for you working on a show where basically everyone's your own age, working on a film eybe one as opposed to you're the kid on the set.
Speaker 2: Does it kind of change the whole vibe of your work day.
Speaker 4: Honestly, yeah, it kind of does it. It's not it's not lonely at all when I'm the only kid. It's you know, great and everyone is amazing. But you know it's not like, oh, look, come hang out my trailer with me, you know, right, Like let's like I'll eat lunch together like with everyone. But it's like on the days where my ash want to eat lunch in my trailer. I come join me. It wasn't really like that. It was more you know, like I would go and go to my trailer and it was still great. But Slummer party, it was like every day was a play date. Yeah, but you know it's like let's eat lunch.
Speaker 5: In our trails, you know, like summer camp kind of thing is what we talk about a lot. Like you're you're hanging out. You're like almost in like a dorm type feel as far as like going to each other as trailers or whatever, like you're just kind of mixing and grooving together. I love that.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious. You just graduated from high school right last year? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Last year, so a year ago.
Speaker 3: A year ago, So what's what's next for you?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 1: What a what can we see you in? But are you going to college? Are you taking some time to just jump into the business?
Speaker 2: What? What are your your plans?
Speaker 4: I'm taking time to just jump into the business. I thought about, you know, college, and you can always you know, go back later or even do so I haven't gone to college, probably not going to I'm not a big you know, I'm not an academic weapon, which is okay, but you know, even just doing some extension classes from like you know, UCLA, I know they have some great ones or any other college. But I have done some acting like you know, intensive classes. I went to New York last summer and was there for a few weeks and have been doing things like that and just kind of using it as so far like this gap yeard or really you know, just prepare myself and you know, take classes and just see what's going on ahead. I'm auditioning a lot, you know, every day, how it is, and I am working on my first producing credit. Wow, our own like independent film that my family and I will be like producing and are good buddies in la. Actually, one of the Christmas Crown's producers, his son is a writer, and so he and his writing partner started writing this script and we're like, we had you in mind for this. Would you want to be an action an action hero? Like like I was like, say less, So we'll we'll do on that. Right now, it is moving forward every day. We're hoping to start filming towards the end of the summer, maybe early fall. But I'm so excited. It's going to be a blast.
Speaker 5: That is really really incredible and you'll get to work more with your mom.
Speaker 4: We we actually have done a movie together called When we last spoke. She was also in Benji. She had a little scene in Benji and in Big Little LIESE.
Speaker 5: Okay, did she audition separately for that? Or was that because they found out she was an actress since she's on set with you, like, OU did that workout? That's so cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Thank you so Big Little Lies? It was actually I don't It was just she was on set with me and it was this reception or secretary. It was like just coming to like mister missus Kleinder here and that was the scene and they were like, let's just have let's have Lacey do it. Why not? I was like, awes for Benji. I think she did audition for it. She's right now. I'm like, I think you did audition for it. And it just happened to be, you know, perfect timing. And when we last spoke, a friend of ours was the director and we both we both like auditioned for it, but we were yeah, we went through the audition process, but knowing the director and like being familiar with all these people, but still both of us going through the audition process in it worked out perfectly, and we were playing the same character but just older and younger. Oh, perfect, like highlights in her hair. She works you know, contacts to have the same eye color as me. And it was really interesting to see us kind of look alike because we don't. I think as I've gotten older, a lot more people are like, you look just like your mom, but we have very different coloring and like I more like my dad. So it was funny to see us like in that same you know, level of like hair color and eyes.
Speaker 5: Then, Oh, that's so cool. And you guys are obviously going to be working a lot together as you continue to work. That's awesome. That's a dream. That's very cool, very very cool.
Speaker 2: How does one train to become an action star?
Speaker 8: Asking for a friend, Oh yeah, so I'm trying to just you know, just work out every day, which is I should be doing that nonetheless, but you know, just trying to stay in shape.
Speaker 4: And we haven't started like actual training and stuff like that. But I have some background with cheers, so I would say, like I'm pretty good with you know, like certain stunts, and I've loved working in stunt like in film with like Christmas chronicles. There was a lot of stunts. Even in Summer Party, there was some.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was gonna ask, did Alex do their own stunts?
Speaker 5: When they finally got to do.
Speaker 1: Parkour and they and then they fall off the stage, which I rewound like four times.
Speaker 5: You know, I was talking about at the end when they were actually doing tumbling that was not actually Alex all right saying was the amazing stunt double and she was phenomenal and was actually doing all of those crazy.
Speaker 2: Alex falling off the stage that I just went it was great.
Speaker 1: Okay, final question just for me because I love Charlotte. Do they still have the great Pink Floyd laser light show at the local Planetarium which is still the best Pink Floyd laser light show I've ever seen, because they did it in three D and it was sick.
Speaker 4: I don't even know about this.
Speaker 5: For a minute.
Speaker 1: Will keep in mind, this was night God geez, I was shooting me with Andy Griffith, so I was nineteen nine ninety three.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Will, so my brother and I stumbled on it.
Speaker 1: We got three D laser glasses and they did Dark Side of the Moon from beginning to end three D laser light and it was one of the best nights I've ever had in my life.
Speaker 2: So that's what I remember of Charlotte.
Speaker 4: I really need to look into that. My dad and I love music, and we love Pink Floyd and and Andy Griffith, which is awesome. Okay, but I need to see if this is still here because I would love to do that.
Speaker 2: Oh it was the best. Yeah, and you we're working with Andy was was certainly interesting, but the Pink Floyd laser light show.
Speaker 3: Was absolutely the best.
Speaker 1: So uh yeah, okay, that was that I had to know because I seriously, every time I think of Charlotte, that's what I think of.
Speaker 2: It was how.
Speaker 1: Amazing the people were and that Pink that laser light show was the coolest thing I've ever seen. So all right, good, and I think we've already covered this. But if they do Slumber Party two, yeah, are you back?
Speaker 4: You're in there asap? All right, my phone, I'll be there tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of phone, do you have a Slumber Party text chain?
Speaker 5: We do?
Speaker 4: Okay, we do, and we'll text on it every now and then. And I can't believe it's going to be four years soon because we went in September, I think is when we started. Wow, I can't believe it's been so long.
Speaker 1: But I personally think you're owed a premiere. Yes, I think it easy to be a slumber party tonight.
Speaker 5: A nice screening somewhere screening so somewhere cool.
Speaker 1: But that that movie and that ensemble, the four of you deserve to walk the carpet and catch your flowers for that movie because it was.
Speaker 2: It was really wonderful. Thanks so much for joining us today.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys, this was so regrats on all your success. We cannot wait to see what's next for you and all of the incredible work you are going to put for us. I just I'm so excited to watch the future that is going to just really develop into something major.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. That is so makes me feel good. It was so great to talk to you guys.
Speaker 2: You as well.
Speaker 5: Thanks bye bye. What a cutie pie.
Speaker 1: I just like tell her, I know that's you instantly went mom mode.
Speaker 4: A girl, You're gonna do big things.
Speaker 3: I promise it.
Speaker 1: Just it just sounds like, you know, you get we've all grown up with child actors, and I swear it's getting better. Which is which is good, but you do hear there's still the horror stories. And then you talk to somebody like that who you can tell has the right support system around them, you know, solid family, friends, huge and friends that She's like, I'm still talking all my friends. I mean, that's pretty great. And there is I think something psychologically more sustainable and more healthy to where every day nowadays, ever, you can be anywhere. So she's like, she's home, she's in North Carolina. You don't have to be in LA You don't have to be in New York. You can be anywhere and then go to go to the work or have the work come to you. Go to the work if you need to, but you don't need to be right there in Los Angeles anymore. I mean, I've been here for thirty five years. There's nothing here anymore.
Speaker 5: No, So yeah, and it opens the door to be able to do other things too, right like because you're not making the trek and having to go from audition to audition. Audition takes your whole day after school or your whole day of That's a big reason why people did homeschool was they were auditioning so much. There was it was hard for their parents to be able to navigate both worlds. So they just jumped into the acting world. Now it's like you don't need to you can prepare for your lines, then you put yourself on tape, take an hour of the day to do three or four auditions or whatever.
Speaker 4: Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it opens up so much space for them to be able to do other things, to see if they have other interests. That's a huge thing that I think our generation it was like if you were an actor, so many, I mean ninety percent of the people were like, oh, you can only act, that is it, that's all you do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I love how you say our generation, like we're the same age.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel closer and closer to your generation meeting more and more people like that.
Speaker 1: Well she's eighteen, of course, I'd hope you're closer.
Speaker 5: She wasn't even alive journal.
Speaker 3: I don't know which I.
Speaker 5: Don't even I feel like high school musical was just right after us, but it felt like a lot longer after us, and it was.
Speaker 1: Just like, no, I think she said, Hanama, she said the Handamon Tannem show. I wasn't she was, Oh my god, I think I already had an older.
Speaker 5: The movie was done in two thousand and nine. Like this is like what I'm saying, like she makes me feel so much, Oh my gosh, I know.
Speaker 1: But she's there's also there's they call it getting through the lens. There's people that they just when you put them on camera, they're just meant to be on camera.
Speaker 2: You can tell, yes, this.
Speaker 3: It was this whole cast.
Speaker 2: Whole cast. You can tell this whole cast.
Speaker 1: They were so wonderful and I'm I hate that they.
Speaker 2: Got caught up in the strike.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously we had to strike, it was what it was, but they the idea that they weren't allowed to have their.
Speaker 5: Permission such unfortunate time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really needs to.
Speaker 5: Know that that this this young actress, this young actor not only went through the pandemic right, because that's a whole other thing. Like when she was saying, like her auditioning and her schooling, right, she.
Speaker 2: Had to go through grade during the pandemics.
Speaker 5: Bring doing the pandemic in like, yes, the in the eighth grade, but I mean going to school on zoom, what a nightmare. Then getting this incredible role, having one of the best times of her life filming this, and then for another situation like the strike, like oh man, yeah.
Speaker 2: But this was I mean, we genuinely liked this movie. This is especially in the age of oh god, damn it. We also didn't ask so we can cut the goddamn it.
Speaker 1: But we also didn't ask about Ron Howard and Brian Grazer and working having them a producer.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the we get so excit. I did when we're doing this.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's it's again to be the kind of dcoms that we're watching now. The newer dcoms are all these big tent pole dcoms, So to have a great one also thrown in there that modernizes kind of the and that's what I felt about Slumber Party, kind of modernize the old school d coom, like the one off friends, wacky adventure kind of dcom you've seen a hundred times. And to do it this well with this cast was really something special. So Darby, thanks, It's so much.
Speaker 5: So updated, like it to be something that was just so relevant in this day and eight, and.
Speaker 1: I'm writing Slumber Party two. I'm going to write Slumber Party two because it was so what we're going to do. It was great, which is and you do the second one, although you do the second hangover, but all the dropping all the girls in the middle of Thailand probably isn't going to be the best play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they probably would be incredibly nerve wrecking.
Speaker 3: Although any of the things.
Speaker 1: That Right after graduation, some kids take a vacation with their friends, so you can have the same model where they're all on vacation somewhere.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 5: I did a Mexico trip. I went to canyon and I cannot believe Kathy and Fred allowed me to do that. That was incredibly dangerous when I was doing that.
Speaker 2: Yes, you see, you might.
Speaker 5: You might not unless I'm there.
Speaker 1: Oh, so you're not gonna let your kid go and let you do the same stuff you did. No, you're gonna deny her those those activities.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wowa, I was I was?
Speaker 5: I it was not.
Speaker 3: No, No, we'll talk about those stories later.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you everybody for joining us on this park app episode. We apologize for the ninety three questions. We didn't ask that. We then hang up and go damn it, I said, hang up like that's nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: However, log off whatever the hell it is.
Speaker 5: We'll get a chance. She'll get to talk to her friends, and maybe we'll get someone else from the cast on here and get that.
Speaker 2: I think we need to have a slumber party reunion.
Speaker 1: God, that sounds creepy even as I say it as an older man, a slumber party reunion, but.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, everybody, I don't forget to join us over there on our other feed where we're gonna be watching awesome movies, continuing to watch all these wonderful d coms that are coming out, Wonderful World of Disney's. We're just hitting the world because we're what like one hundred and ten in and we still.
Speaker 5: Still finding about new ones. We have got to do this. Good luck, Charlie, Christmas one.
Speaker 2: I know we've got so many to go now. So Jay, thank you right for izzy searches. He's got to be, oh of course. But thanks everybody for joining us, and we'll see it next time.
Speaker 5: Bye bye