Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our two on this Thursday, Dan and the Dan Nets Dan Patrick Show. Something going on in the NFL right in front of us. I don't know if it's getting enough attention. Of course, you have the schedule release coming up tonight, but I'll talk about this trend that's been happening and it feels like, begrudgingly it's happening. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading courts at the Dan Patrick Show. Gang's all here, Todd Dylan in the back row, Marv Pauley upfront, yours truly in the back room. Guys as well. Given away the rectech grill tomorrow. Go to rectech dot com search the Dan Patrick Show for details, and on meet Friday we will give away a rectech grill. All right eight seven to seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. We discussed, among other things, in the first hour. I would move on from Aaron Rodgers if I'm the Steelers, I would move on from Lebron James if I'm the If I'm thinking about this taking the fandom out of this just looking at this and saying, let's apply common sense to this.
Speaker 3: Can we.
Speaker 2: Maybe take a hit one year and that will help us get to a point where maybe we solve our quarterbacking situation for a decade. I mean, that's what my goal would be, because you've got to find your next Ben Roethlisberger at some point. With the Lakers, with Lebron still playing at a high level, you're a playoff team, but you're kind of like the Steelers. You're a playoff team, but you're not threatening. Do you bring Lebron back? Can you spend the money differently? You got to resign Austin Reeves. I would move on from Lebron. James, Now what I want to capitalize? I guess with Lebron in a farewell tour, I guess you're already must see TV. But I'd rather win, Like that's what you want. It's nice to give people statues who's outside the building? I want banners in the building because if you get banners in the building, you can get a statue outside the building. And Lebron played well, that makes the decision a little bit tougher, a lot tougher. But at some point you have to say, let's just move on. You know, maybe lebron goes to Cleveland. Cleveland wins last night dramatic fashion against Detroit, controversy at the end of regulation, and now Cleveland's got a chance to close out Detroit, and they'll be favored by three and a half on Friday night. The Spurs in Minnesota favored by four and a half on Friday night. Because you have the scheduling launch party coming up. I mentioned Thanksgiving. Now Thanksgiving Eve, you got Thanksgiving Eve, it'll be the Packers and the Rams. Thanksgiving you get Bears, Lions, Eagles, Cowboys, Chiefs, and the Bills. And then there's Black Friday the Broncos and the Steelers as well. I mentioned the trend that's happening because it wasn't long ago that I thought, will a team almost be counterintuitive to how defenses are being built. Used to be, your defenses were big guys. You had your middle linebacker, you know, big upfront. Now you go to leaner, quicker off the edge guys. Your linebackers aren't really linebackers, they're edge rushers. And I said, somebody's going to decide to invest in a running game, And it was Derrick Henry because I thought you're not going to stop Derrick Henry. Now it doesn't matter how big your line is, But are we going to utilize that running back and bring them back into the forefront of you got to have a great running back? Now, has it changed what we expect? Yes, I want at least one thousand yards. I want at least five hundred yards in receptions. The Miami Dolphins extended Devon ah Chan four year sixty four million dollars, and if you look at it, Ravens, Lions, Seahawks, Bills, Eagles, Packers, Niners all invested in running backs. Jamir Gibbs is going to get paid, Jean Robinson is going to get paid as well. But running back was the one position that was devalued. Now they're becoming valued eight. Chan will make on average sixteen million dollars over his four year deal. Now you've got wide receivers making more. Calvin Ridley, Jerry Judy, Michael Pittman, Junior One, Dale Robinson, Romeo Dobbs, Rashid Shaheed Jaden Reed.
Speaker 3: Who would you rather have out of that group?
Speaker 2: If I throw in h Chan and the answer is a Chan because he is a really good running back and a really good receiver. I look at Saquon Barkley got paid, He makes twenty million, Christian McCaffrey nineteen million, Derreck Henry fifteen million, Kenneth Walker the third fourteen million, Breeze Hall got paid fourteen million, Jonathan Taylor fourteen million. The running back is making a comeback, and I think it's great for football because I know that they're replaceable, interchangeable parts. And we can find a running back in the fourth round, and we have found running backs in the fourth round.
Speaker 3: But if I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: Guys Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey, Dereck Henry, Jonathan Taylor, Jamiir Gibbs, by Jean Robinson, these are all high draft picks. And even when Jamir Gibbs was being drafted. And I've said on the show that one of my sources, who's an NFL scout, said he's a Marshall Fulk type running back. He is a Hall of Fame type running back. And he said, you know, people didn't realize when he was at Georgia Tech and then all of a sudden, you know, you're at Alabama, and then all of a sudden, people go, oh man, that guy's really good. He said he is a Marshall Fulk type running back, and he went earlier than people thought. And I thought, this guy, that's why I had such high expectations and admiration for Jeremiah Love. Now going to Arizona doesn't really help him, but maybe he's going to sell tickets. Jadarian Price, who's the backup to him, went to Seattle at the end of the first round. So running backs now it feels like you have to have one that may do two things. If you can get that guy, who's all I want to do is put you in space. The NFL is all about matchups. Can I put that guy in space against that guy and I can win that battle? That's all you want to do, my tight end against your linebacker, defensive back. I like that matchup. That's all you're trying to do as a quarterback. Where is the weak spot? Where can I take advantage of that and have your guy who's not as good as my guy, and then maybe I can get a big play. And I think you're seeing that with these NFL teams, And I know you know, people thought, well, you can't take Jeremiah Love as high as Arizona did. I wouldn't have taken him that high because I'm not ready to win. Now, if I'm Tennessee or I'm the Commanders, I would have jumped all over Jeremiah Love because he's the one guy. He can hit home runs. Every time he's on the field. He can hit a home run. How many guys are like that. Jamir Gibbs can hit a home run. VI Jon Robinson hit a home run. Those guys are difference makers. And I would spend the money. Now, do I want a second contract? That's where we can have a discussion, because if I'm going to use you and get touches, where three hundred carries and sixty five receptions, that starts.
Speaker 3: To add up on a running back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dylan, Yeah, I think that's also such a luxury to have a pass catching back. Like you look at the Christian mccaffreyes, even for a long time, the Alvin Kamaras of the world. It's like that is a legitimate weapon. And h Chan is that he catches a.
Speaker 2: Lot of passes and he's a really good running back, but you don't know it because you would tune in to Watch two a tongue of Iiloa and their wide receivers. They're quirky head coach at the time, and you would kind of go, man, that guy's good. Eight chan is good, but they're not going anywhere this year. And you get Malik Willis there. I don't want if I'm a Dolphin fan, I don't want to get to six wins. I want to ensure that we get four wins and maybe we get arch Manning. Unless it goes really really well, which I don't think it will. Then all right, you brought it, and I like Malik Willis. I was high on Malik Willis. You don't have Tyreek Hill, you know, so your philosophy is different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Deil, Yeah, the Dolphins kind of had something there because they had a chan and most are in the backfield and Wattle and Tyreek Hill. It's like you had some legit weapons there. And I just think that the to a situation and maybe McDaniel it just they couldn't just figure it all out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: They were close and then all of a sudden, you know, you dismantle with Wattle, Tyreek Hill head coach, you know, Tua. So at least they're trying. It feels like, but I like a chan, I just don't know. That's kind of your offense, and that is a lot of money for a team that I want to add the running back. It's kind of like get get your team, and then get your quarterback. Kind of get your team, get your running back as well, because I don't want to just have a situation like Ashton genty with the Raiders where I don't know how good he is based off what we saw last year. I saw him in college.
Speaker 5: Yes, Mark, going back twenty years, speaking of the Steelers, it was kind of like the Steelers when they got Ben Roethlisberger, they already had the team constructed, all they needed was a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Bill Coward talked about that when he joined us in Pittsburgh. He was like, build the team, then get the quarterback there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, going back to that running back stat, I went back and looked thousand yards rushers per season in twenty seventeen, nine, eighteen nine, in twenty nineteen or eleven, twenty twenty nine, twenty twenty one seven. The past three years it's been twelve thousand yard rushers sixteen and this year seventeen thousand yard rushers in the NFL. That's the most since twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dylan, it's also what the Dolphins like. They don't really have. I could see why you'd pay Ahn too. It's like they're not paying anyone right now. Like Malik Willis is getting what twenty three million is something like that a year. Their three starting receivers are Malik Washington, Jalen Tolbert and two two at Well. When two two out Well is your number one receiver, you need a spark wherever you can get.
Speaker 3: I guess, I guess.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Dolphin fans are going to go, come on, let's grab the kids. We're gonna go see eight chen And it's not like you're watching Barry Sanders, no really good player, but they're getting paid now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark, we're.
Speaker 5: Talking about all these dual threat running backs. Is Marshall fawk underrated?
Speaker 2: I remember Peyton Manning telling me he is the smartest football player he was ever around, And that says an awful lot, because unless Peyton was taking himself out of the equation, he just talked about Marshall Falk knew where every he knew everybody's assignment. But I remember first time I saw him in college and I was like, how did this guy end up here? He's from New Orleans. Did in LSU offer him a lot of money or somebody there.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paulie Marshall Fawk was a five time All Pro. He never had a fifteen hundred yard rushing season. He'd always run for thirteen hundred yards but then have eighty five catches. He was one of those. I think he had five two thousand plus yard all perpose season.
Speaker 3: He was such a dual threat there.
Speaker 2: And I remember, you know when we were down in New Orleans for that Super Bowl when the Patriots they took Marshall Falk out of the game. I mean they basically said, he's not beating us in this game, and they did. They shut him down. That defense ended up winning that Super Bowl. Oh boy, I have a college football schedule for one week that almost seems like it's not real. I got to check this during the commercial break. This schedule for this week that I have is unbelievable, Like wow, I got to check and make.
Speaker 3: Sure that this is official here. I don't want any fake news here.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Pandi mayor get the official trading cards. So The Dan Patrick Show, let's take a break. We'll come back with that. Also, I'm watching Jalen Duran lose millions and millions and millions of dollars right before our very eyes. We'll talk about that coming up as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick's Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Hey, this is Jason McIntyre. Join me every weekday morning on my podcast, Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre. This isn't your typical sports pod pushing the same tired narratives down your throat every day. Straight Fire gives you honest opinions on all the biggest sports headlines, accurate stats to help you win big at the sportsbook, and all the best guests. Do yourself a favor and listen to Straight Fire with Jason McIntyre on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I have to admit, when I watched the Detroit Pistons play basketball, I am curious about Jalen Durhan because the slump that he's going through right now in the playoffs will cost him millions this summer. Now, he's probably going to be an All NBA selection, which means he'd be eligible to sign a five year max contract beginning at thirty percent of the salary cap. So based on the current projections, his max deal could start as high as forty nine and a half million dollars in be worth two hundred and eighty seven million dollars in total. If he doesn't make All NBA team, he is limited to a max deal starting at twenty five percent, so his salary could go as high as forty one point two five million dollars. If I'm Detroit, what I'm seeing here would be very concerning. Now he's gone up against a pretty good front line. Mobiley and Jared Allen are good defenders. He was a twenty ten guy during the regular season. Now he's half of that. I also look at somebody who's twenty two years of age. He was a pleasant surprise for Detroit an All Star.
Speaker 3: But you look at these players.
Speaker 2: And the amount of money that you're going to be making at a really, really young age, and if you're the Pistons, do you want to go all in on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Smart.
Speaker 5: The scoring really would have concerned me because he gets a lot of those awful lobs and easy buckets from Kate Cunningham. The five rebounds would really concern me because to me, he's almost like in the Ben Wallace mode of if you score, that's great, but I really need you to rebound at least double digits.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of money, but they're all getting paid a lot of money. I think sometimes you go, God, they're going to pay him that. Well, there's only what thirteen or fourteen guys on the team and they are making you know, the TV partners are spending a lot of money and that money has to go somewhere, and these players are going to get I mean, fifty million is nothing now.
Speaker 3: In the NBA, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: In the playoffs that's where you get paid. Tristan Thompson got a sixty four million dollar deal because he had a great playoff run. Biz mac Biambo got seventy two million dollars after playing well for the Raptors in the playoffs. That's when you get that's when you get your money.
Speaker 2: Well, nice reference, bizmock biyambo I didn't think we were gonna get.
Speaker 3: A mentioned with him today, but we got it. Who's next Bull Bull?
Speaker 5: He hasn't produced in the playoffs yet, so he's out.
Speaker 3: I remember they were saying, oh, Bull Bull, he's better than his dad. I'm like, at what.
Speaker 2: Like minute? Bowl ended up being a three point shooter at seven seven and he blocked a few shots as well. There's also you know, when I think of Bull Bowl, I think of gout gout because this a kid in Australia who who might turn out to be the fastest man in the world at some point.
Speaker 3: You know, there's already comparisons to Bolt.
Speaker 2: You seeing Bolt, so you're looking at him and they sixty minutes did a piece on him that gout gout is probably going to be approaching Bolt's records here. Yeah, Pauline, I read a little background on him the other day. He's eighteen years old, his family left Sudan, they're in Australia and the name is more like Watt, but it just changed over the years and it was easier for people to say gout and they just stuck with it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Billy, it's kind of an unfortunate gout gout. Yeah, I know, double gout. Yeah, maybe they weren't aware of somebody getting gout. I'm guessing he does not have any issues with gout if he's that fast.
Speaker 3: I hope no. Yes, yes, Todd, that's two strikes your gout. I see what you did. Sometimes silence is better.
Speaker 5: It's the valid point.
Speaker 2: Week ten of the college football season. This is like bowl week. I got Miami and Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, BYU, Utah. I got Penn State, Washington, Oregon, Ohio State, Georgia, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Florida. I got Virginia Tech, SMU, Texas and Missouri.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's good stuff. I hope the regular season, though, isn't ruined by all these playoff teams there. Man, there's some real bickering going on between these conferences.
Speaker 3: ESPN's involved in this.
Speaker 2: You know we're gonna stay at sixteen? Can we stay at sixteen? Do we have to go to twenty four?
Speaker 3: Sec?
Speaker 2: Seems to be a holdout on this. I think the Mothership would like to have sixteen. You have acc big twelve, big ten. I want to go to twenty four. A little bit of bickering going on here, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: But don't you think you're going to see more big time regular season matchups because teams aren't afraid to lose three games anymore.
Speaker 3: I just don't.
Speaker 2: I don't buy into that because I want to have a good seed. I want to make sure that the most I'm losing is two games if I if I lose three or four, then I'm going to be on the road in the playoffs. And I think the regular season is still important. Yes, more teams will make the playoffs, but where you're seeded, do you get to host a game?
Speaker 3: Do you get to host two games?
Speaker 2: You know, when we get to twenty four, you're going to be asking your fan base to travel a little bit more, and I think that's really difficult. If you have it a home game at Ohio State or Notre Dame, it's going to be packed no matter what. But when you go to a neutral site, that's where you want to see. Will your fan based travel because you got to have these Bowl games, you got to have a pack towels here, Yes, Pauling.
Speaker 6: I think going forward you may see a combination of those neutral site games like Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Lambeau specialty games where you boost money and ratings. But then the next.
Speaker 5: Week you'll play the Cupcake.
Speaker 6: So you have a neutral site in Atlanta at the Ben Center, but then next week you're playing Wafford.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dylan, we got a couple international games in week zero. You guys know who's playing in Ireland this year? No, Bill Belichick and the Tar Heels and TCUKA and NC State and Virginia are playing in Rio de Janeiro. Okay, I know how they came up with that one, but yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Always where you go.
Speaker 2: Is there any connection here with anybody with Rio de Janeiro, Virginia or NC State?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I get the NFL can do it college football. It's a little trickier, yes, Morvin.
Speaker 5: I don't think the people at NC State love Ta McClendon like that. I respect the reference. Welly McClinton running back from the issue.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, all right, give him back to you.
Speaker 2: Bloop Matt in New York Him, Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 3: How are you nice to talk to you? Thank you?
Speaker 8: Uh six one two twenty three. Unfortunately, Todd, I'm doing my best. I just wanted to call in chat when you were talking about your son and what they did to the guy's hat. I find it completely uncalled for.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: I get it, I love sports, I love sports. I love to play all the sports, and I get fandom. But when they when people act like mob mentality with this stuff and they get in the fights over clothes, now, I'm just gonna, you know, take a page from Jerry Seinfeld. All you're doing is rooting for clothes.
Speaker 10: If you like the player, like I e.
Speaker 8: Lebron, you got three jerseys hanging up. You're rooting for any team that he's on because you like the guy or the girl or whoever. But I just find it's unfortunate that people group up and do stuff to people just because they're wearing the wrong clothes. It sounds like gang activity to me. But you know, so where were living, I guess, but rise above.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I even tell him, you know, he's a Packer fan, my son, and I say, he said, Hey, I'm gonna go to Philadelphia. Should I wear my jersey? And I go, no, why not? You asked me the question. The answer is no, can't wear it to a Jets game. There's certain places where you're just not wearing your colors. I wish it was you know, more conducive to fans coming in being able to enjoy a game. There's certain places where I would say no, absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, more, wearing your jersey to an Eagles game is way different than wearing it to your son's school, and that should never be the case.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Okay, I I.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to say too much because it's it's a long time ago that it happened, and I was disappointed that it happened.
Speaker 3: But I had to let my son know.
Speaker 2: If you're going to root in that rivalry, you're gonna have stupid people, and that happened. It's unfortunate. I had to. I was aware of who I am in a situation like that. So that enough said with that. But yeah, it was tough, very tough when your son comes home and he says what they did to his Red Sox hat.
Speaker 3: Aaron and fort Wayne, Hi Aeron, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Yes, Aaron, Dan, Yes, Aaron, Yeah, yeah, let me I'm gonna turn the bower off here.
Speaker 10: You know, you know, h Dana Belicena for a long time. But you know, we need to go back to the nineties when people used to retire in like a dignified way. You know, we had.
Speaker 11: Seinfeld and we had Michael Jordan and we got damn Patrick. You know you're gonna, you know, walk away in two years as long as you don't try to tone it O'Brien Fritzy when he turns it into the Fritzy Hour, you know, or something like that.
Speaker 10: But I like that. I don't know what's going on with culture where it's like people just.
Speaker 11: Will not go away, you know, and I can't miss you if you're still here, you know what I mean, And that's a big part of it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Eric.
Speaker 2: I never want to push somebody into retirement if you want to play, because once you do that, then it's done and there's a finality to that. I've seen way too many been around, way too many guys who retired who talk about, maybe I should have played one more year. Most don't want to retire because it's really scary. Once you retire and you're thirty eight, now what not? Everybody can be an analyst, Now what do you do? And I think there's that wow, the rest of my life, Now what am I going to do? Because I've done this for such a long period of time, I get it. I don't want Lebron to retire. I don't like seeing guys who are playing like Travis Kelcey. Did I hope he was going to retire, Yes, but in his mind he still wants to play, and he has every right to do that if Kansas City wants him great. I want great players to continue to be great until they know I can't be what I want to be out there, yes doing I think it was.
Speaker 4: Dave mcmahumhan said that when he was on the other week that athletes die to deaths and the first ones when they retire, because it's you're, by all standards, a young person still and you're just like, what what do now?
Speaker 3: What do now.
Speaker 10: Do?
Speaker 3: Now? What do now doing now? John and Florida? Good morning, John.
Speaker 10: Coome on to Dan.
Speaker 12: I'm taking a bit of a left turn, I guess here. But on Mother's Day I turned seventy years old. Can you imagine being that old?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 12: No, So I didn't call to give you advice. I've called to give you my experience. I have a daughter, Molly, and in November we had a wedding on Cake Carr and I told my wife I got my speech ready and I'm going to read it to you, and I get through one sentence standing started bothering like a baby. I had to go in the other room and continued on and got through maybe three or four sentences and couldn't stop crying. So I know what you're talking about. You know when you get older and you get very emotional. So finally the thing that worked for me, Dan, And again this is just my experience, not advice. I spent most of the morning while my wife and daughters and everybody, all the young ladies were getting ready in my room going over that speech over and over and over again, and it helped me a lot.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 12: That was how I did it.
Speaker 2: Well, Thank you John. Every single day I think of it, and I'm going to see my daughter tomorrow and I'll be thinking about it every single time I see her. It's consumed me, and I'm thinking maybe beta blockers like something.
Speaker 3: The speech.
Speaker 2: I can get emotional, that's okay, because it's my turn. I don't want to get emotional walking down the eye because that's her moment and that's the one I'm trying to go. How can I do it? Somebody said, rubber band, have a rubber band? And keep smacking, you know, pulling the rubber band and smacking it against your skin. I was like, can I get botox so I won't don't cry?
Speaker 3: Can I?
Speaker 2: Can I get into a position where I can't cry? Do they do boatox in tear ducks?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Do you think a drink or two will help or hurt?
Speaker 3: I'd say hurt, yeah, yeah, yes.
Speaker 4: Is it gonna be an outdoor ceremony or indoor outdoor? Sunglasses?
Speaker 3: There you go? Yeah, but my wife will be like, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: I think you just got to do it. I mean, sunglasses have saved me many a time.
Speaker 2: For sunglasses would be I just don't want to come off as pretentious that you got sunglasses on.
Speaker 3: Well, you don't have to.
Speaker 4: You can borrow a Parami versace sunglasses there, and they're very understated.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's not about being pretentious. I just think that would kind of ruin. All the photos are gonna be taken. You can't be in your sunglasses. You gotta have your regular face in your eyes.
Speaker 4: It's an outdoor wedding, most of the people are probably gonna have sunglasses, and I think that's an easy.
Speaker 2: But my daughter's not gonna have sunglasses on, get her repair. My wife is not gonna have sunglasses on, and you're gonna be able to hear me cry. You may not see tears because I got sunglasses on. If you just said I cried and I didn't, you know, have loud, then I'd be okay with that.
Speaker 3: It's every single day, yes, marma, But.
Speaker 5: What about you do one of those really cool when you're interviewing somebody and they get emotional. Excuse me, just keep it like that. But are you just gonna be it's gonna be like that?
Speaker 3: It might be, it might be, And this is all you know.
Speaker 2: I'm being sincere when I tell you this, like it's every single day I think of this, and then people are expecting me to cry? Now is it comes up in conversation like I can't wait for your speech.
Speaker 3: Like why, oh man, you're going to be a mess. Yes, I will be a mess. Yes pulling.
Speaker 6: According to Medical News Today, which is a shaky website, there's certain ways to prevent yourself from crying intense or uncontrollable situations. Slow down your breathing, blink your eyes to work out the tears to keep them from going down the cheeks tense up right before you start talking. This is actually a tool that actors use right before they go on stage, or they tense up everything, and then by relaxing right before you start talking, it's the uh. It's like a placebo effect that makes you think you're relaxed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got no shot here.
Speaker 5: We're trying.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate it. I'm in all sincerity, Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: Will you feel better if you make everybody else in the audience emotional during your speech?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Like crying is like yawning. It's contagious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm hopeful that there'll be some sympathetic years for me, and all the dads who've been in my position will be able to relate, so that might help. And then you know, the ladies will love to see me cry, you know, Yes, Dylan, just think about baseball.
Speaker 4: Why that works for other stuff? I think, just you know, take your mind off of what's going on. Yeah, but then I'll be thinking about having a catch with my dad. My dad's not there.
Speaker 3: I'm in professional baseball. Yes.
Speaker 6: Paulie Bridal Magazine. Dan tips for getting through the speech, writing it down. While you may think that people will be Oh, you have to write it down. You can't do it off the cuff. By focusing on the words, you'll replace some of the emotions.
Speaker 2: I know, but my wife says, you know you are a professional broadcaster.
Speaker 3: People are going to think that you should be just delivering a speech without.
Speaker 6: Bring a couple emmys with you. Put them right next to you. That'll prove the point.
Speaker 2: Maybe if I sit on the top of the emmy, then it's going to be painful and then I'll be able to get through the speech.
Speaker 3: Yes, todd as so.
Speaker 9: Is that one person, maybe that angry cousin or uncle. There's Dan crying. Come on, put it together, dude. I don't always selling in the crowd that you think everyone's.
Speaker 3: All on your side.
Speaker 5: Dan's crying me a break.
Speaker 3: No, that sounds like it would be you, and that you're not invited to the wedding.
Speaker 5: Get it together, man, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Need somebody to yell out kind of something funny to break the tension in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Baba booie, Yes, Dylan.
Speaker 4: I actually I don't think there's any harm in writing it out. I actually think it shows that you took your time with it. You know, you cared, I definitely would go hand or like printed out copy or a scroll scroll would look cool. Well you know the new thing though, is off your phone. Yeah, I know, but it always looks weird reading off your the phone.
Speaker 2: And then I don't want to have to put my code back in like hold hold on, okay.
Speaker 3: As I was saying, well.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be scrolling a lot too, because I've seen the font size on your phone.
Speaker 3: You get about four letters per screen.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, I'm with Dylan because maybe after the speech you oh man, I wish I would have mentioned this, and you won't have that issue if you really have it thought out, thought out, really have it thought out, you write it down, okay, and a scroll? Yeah, scroll?
Speaker 2: Well all right, I'll take it under advisemen every single day. Can we get O's the mentalist and see if he could hypnotize me, like.
Speaker 6: Pre hypnotize you before the events?
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll make some calls.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering if he could hypnotize me right before what Todd.
Speaker 9: What if something goes wrong and someone makes a certain noise we snapped the sping and you start clucking or barking at all?
Speaker 5: How those things can be.
Speaker 3: You're now a frog?
Speaker 9: Is Dan bouncing around and hopping after like a frog?
Speaker 3: How about we take a break here. We'll be back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen.
Speaker 2: Live show Hey O Tani through seven starts this season, forty four innings, fifty strikeouts, eer zero point eight two and the opposition batting one sixty one against him. And that's a second in Baseball Saturday Day, brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. He's really focused on winning a Cy Young and Dave Roberts said that to us. I said, how important is this Cy Young? And he said extremely to show Hey when we talked to him a couple of weeks ago. The problem is the hitting got seven home runs and he's adding what under two forty I think right now. Pitching wise, he's great, Era leads baseball, his whip, his third batting average, opponents second impressive numbers. There was show Hey O Tonic, but he's got to deal with Paul Skeens. So that's the difference. Here pitching wise against schemes for cy Young MVP. That's where is there somebody who's going to be able to match up with him? And the answer is no, He's got such an unfair advantage, Yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 5: And the only thing that would prevent him from winning the cy Young and MVP is if Paul Skeins leads the Pirates to a wild card, if they have like a great record because of him and he goes twenty two to four, anything like that, there might be some pushback for MVP award, But other than that, no context.
Speaker 3: Jay in Delaware, Hi, Jay, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Herry Dan?
Speaker 13: First of all, I want to say that I agree with you that I think they should move on from Aaron. But I also think that US as stands and the media have too much of an expect expectation to have to get, you know, an explanation or transparency from the organization, because from what I've heard is that you know, McCarthy and Rogers, they talk every week, Omar Khan and Rooney, and none of them have come out and said that they're waiting on the organization isn't waiting on. I think they know what's going to happen with Aaron. And I've also heard McCarthy on multiple occasions say that he from the tape that he's washed and being around him, he's really loved Will Howard. So even if Aaron doesn't come back, I think they're comfortable with Will Howard for the year. And even if he has already signed, he wouldn't be there. I mean, how how many years has has Aaron not shown up for you know, voluntary workedouts?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I know, but you're it's only one more year. My point is, then what do you do?
Speaker 2: Thanks, Aaron Rodgers is going to be there this year, and you'll probably have a first round exit and maybe you win ten games. Okay, but you've been going through this for a decade now and that's where it has to change. Unless you're fine with ten and seven in first round playoff exit. And I wouldn't be some tweets about wedding advice with my speech. Think of a funny scene in a movie, a good distraction to lighten the mood. How about you write something down. You can give it to your daughter to put in her wedding scrapbook. Nobody's listening to the speech anyway, They're just waiting for it to be over so they can grab a beer. Oh no, this will be a big one, trust me. How about a shock collar and if you start to cry, then maybe somebody could shock you. Here's another one to help with the crying. How about a shock collar? How about hypnosis. Somebody's suggested that I get somebody who can do sign language and have them right next.
Speaker 5: To me at press conferences.
Speaker 2: Yes, that, and I don't know if anybody is going to be deaf there, but to have a person doing sign language is pretty funny, yes, doing Hey, you can have your own interpreter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just don't let him in your bank account.
Speaker 2: But I was also wow, okay, all back, all right, a little shot, a little show, hey, shot there. I'm also considering maybe bringing my oldest daughter up with me to interpret what I can't get through, because she's very funny, very quick, and she might add levity to it. When I start to stumble, then she fills in, you know, she taps me and comes in like a tag team partner.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Paul, I like that move a lot, because your daughter could be there ready to go and fill in the blank.
Speaker 3: If it goes sideways, yes, well, no, when it goes, but then you're covered. Yes.
Speaker 2: Uh, James in Florida, Good morning, James. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Good morning Dan.
Speaker 10: Hey, thanks for taking my call. Hey, I just want to say about this marriage day or yeah, crying thing.
Speaker 13: Uh you know I married all four daughters, didn't cry at all.
Speaker 5: I just want to say, man, you.
Speaker 10: Got to suck it up.
Speaker 3: You know it's her day.
Speaker 10: It's her day. Now you're talking about bringing your own daughter up there. I think it's a big show. You got to quit talking about this. You're seventy years old.
Speaker 3: Don't cry.
Speaker 5: I'm a physician.
Speaker 10: Your best bet would be de beta blocker if you have to do.
Speaker 2: It, all right, James, stop yelling, all right, show off. Maybe you don't care about your daughters as much as I care about my daughter. That's why I'm crying so much. Nothing worse than jumping in your car or somebody else's and it just smells bad, Like Dylan's. McGuire's luxury collection Whole Car Air Refreshers, perfect way to fight funky odors and redefine and your drive. Maguire's celebrating one hundred and twenty five years of keeping cars clean, shiny, and smelling grat I would pay twenty five thousand dollars to not cry. And I know it's my daughter's wedding, James. That doesn't mean I can't, you know, get through it without crying.
Speaker 9: Yes, Todd, I think crying is perfectly fine, and you're overthinking it. And I think there's something showing genuine emotion. I think is appreciated.
Speaker 5: If it gets to the.
Speaker 9: Point where you can't speak at all, that's a whole other story. Well, but a couple of sniffles here and there are showing some emotion. It's your daughter getting married.
Speaker 3: I know, thank you, Ton.
Speaker 4: Yes, still, I was about to tell that guy who called him to cool it, but then he said my car stinks, and now I'm on his side.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 4: I kind of like the daughter as a human shield thing, you know. Embiide did it in the interview the Yeah, I know he caught grief.
Speaker 3: Yes, Tod.
Speaker 9: We'll just put suck it up in bold letters above your speech before you start reading, as a reminder, be tough.
Speaker 3: Stan Van Gundhy's gonna join us.
Speaker 2: What did he think of the way the Pistons Cavaliers regulation game ended. I'm going into the confessional. By the way, if you're watching on peacock Back after this