Speaker 1: Native LAMPID is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode one hundred and five of Native LAMPI, where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture.
Speaker 2: We are your host.
Speaker 1: I'm Angela Rye, Tiffany Cross, Andrew Gillim and Bacari Sellers, the non Beyonce of the group.
Speaker 3: Let's start Let's start over. I don't want to do this in posts, but I think I should be. I don't know why I mentioned last, but keep.
Speaker 2: Going, Sellers and the show continues.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we are here to talk to you all about all the things that are happening right now.
Speaker 2: Shameless plug really quick.
Speaker 1: I did an episode with Kamala Harris on election Night live in Seattle, Washington from Benner Royal Hall. That episode is now up. We hope you all will check it out and let us know what you think. But y'all, what are we getting into today?
Speaker 4: What aren't we getting into? How about this? How about this negotiation in Washington, d C. Around the opening of the government. Who won, who lost? Who didn't? Where we at? I'm interested?
Speaker 1: I agree, Andrew, I'm right there with you Bacari tip what y'all got?
Speaker 3: Go ahead?
Speaker 5: No, I've learned I heard in the intro. Is not gonna last.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you for thank you for giving me my due respect.
Speaker 2: Lady, he'll get it tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Keep going, go ahead, Tim, No, well.
Speaker 5: No, lady, first you talking about you anyway, I'm gonna have y'all about me.
Speaker 2: She was a bad first.
Speaker 4: Quickly alone.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, mama, mississ Sella's I'm sorry to have to use this using this language. There's a lot going on. I mean, first of all, to piggyback on Andrew's point, we're going to get into all of those things. But then the pinky promus with the ACA vote that came up on Tammy Ballin's piece of legislation, and they've been giving out Michelin stars. I saw a little report recently at a strip club in Charlotte, got a ordered a Michelin star. I'm checking the veracity of that, and by checking it meaning I'm gonna go in and see if the Michelin start about food is working. Listen, people gotta make this topic. People gotta you know, it's hard out here, man. They might get their money and so I want to make sure I'm contributing in the community.
Speaker 5: I look forward to that report.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I got you, gotcha, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Please bring evidence, lady.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm really excited to hear from our viewers every week. I really appreciate people taking time to get on camera and sending us videos, comments, questions, all of that. So I'm excited to hear what you all have to say about this week, and I'm excited for me and the co host to win. And lastly, we have a conversation about Donald Trump rigging the twenty twenty six elections that has been talked about on this show at nauseum. We even have questioned whether or not we should be telling y'all how many days are.
Speaker 2: Left until the election.
Speaker 1: Joining us for that really important conversation is Ari Berman, an incredible author and a journalist at Mother Jones who wrote a piece on what Donald Trump will do to rig the twenty twenty six elections.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it, y'all.
Speaker 6: All right, this fight for us is not partisan. It's not a partisan fight. It's a patriotic fight. We're waging this fight on behalf of the American people. The five states that are most impacted by a failure to extend the Affordable Care Act tax credits are West Virginia, Wyoming, Alaska, Mississippi, and Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Forty five percent of the people.
Speaker 6: Of the Americans who are going to lose healthcare or be at risk of losing health care if they don't on the other side of the out extend the Affordable Care Act tax credits. Forty five percent of them are registered Republicans, thirty five percent registered Democrats, and twenty percent unaffiliated are independent. This is not a partisan fight for us. It's a patriotic fight, okay, everyone.
Speaker 1: So we are just on the other side of the longest shut down in government history forty one days, and the Democrats on the Senate side are being told that they caved, that they folded, and are being called losers frankly by a lot of folks throughout this country. But there are other folks who have also been talked about as being losers, Republicans certainly government workers, the folks who lost out their snap benefits, so literally losing, and then all of the folks who would be covered by the Affordable Care Act, that is the whole of America also losing here, So I wanted to have a conversation with my colleagues about who they think the biggest loser is of the government shut down. So, if we were doing a rapid round, really quick, what do y'all think, who is the biggest loser?
Speaker 3: Andrew the American people, American people, Tiff.
Speaker 5: I'll be quick, But to put it in context of political terms of Republicans versus Democrats, I think it's so disrespectful to the actual losers. And that's to everyday people who are impacted by this show.
Speaker 3: She said, all I have to say just what we said.
Speaker 5: A lot of people saying like what does this mean for Democrats? And what does this mean for the path forward? And it's like, I'm thinking about people who ain't got food to eat and who backed up name mortgage, Like, yeah.
Speaker 1: We were just trying to do a rapp and I was gonna be honest with y'all. It is for social We'll do what we can with the clue. What I will say here, too, is I actually think the biggest losers here are all of the staffers who worked hard on an issue and did not get to see the what a win might be looked like. And I think that folks deserve that, So let's get into this conversation. I know that there's a lot behind those short answers. Bacari already has his hands up because he thinks he's at school. That's what happens when you bring toddlers to your podcast platform.
Speaker 2: For and Ma, car, what do he have?
Speaker 3: No, I just watched Andrew struggle long enough to get a question out, So that that was me. I'm using the tools.
Speaker 4: I've been watching a different a different different tax.
Speaker 3: I think I just have a question for you all, which is what did Democrats do it for?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: You want us to answer?
Speaker 3: No? No, that was that was I mean, if in fact, you have ten people under the cover of dark or eight people under the cover of darkness who vote to in the shutdown, what were the last sixty forty days for?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What what what was it about? I know what we said it's about, but what what what do we what's gained? What was gained?
Speaker 5: Well, well, I think those are two different questions. What was gained obviously you know nothing from my perspective. I mean, they weren't ready for this game and it was such a disappointment. But what it was about's healthcare? Which is a really big deal.
Speaker 2: For years, for.
Speaker 5: Some strange reason, the GOP has had such a heart on for repealing the Affordable Care Act a ACA. And more than twenty four million people depend on this, and so we're going to see it's not just majorities, but vast majorities who are facing their healthcare premiums going up by more than one hundred and fourteen percent. So people are going to be questioning, do I go to the grocery store, do I go see the doctor. Republicans, you know, control both the chambers. They control the House, in the upper chamber in the Senate, and so Democrats had for the first time some negotiating power. And so you know, the Kansas are the KFF. They have an analysis out about the average cost of what people are going to be paying for health care. It can go up to more than one thousand dollars for some people. So imagine for some people this might be an inconvenience, but if you have a life threatening illness and you're depending on this. This is why I think we have to draw the distinction between structural violence, institutional violence, and physical violence. And right now all of these things are being rained down upon us by the federal government. So I don't want to dismiss the efforts of the Democrats and trying to hold the line for healthcare. Sadly though, I think they brought a knife to a gunfight. You know, they were too eager to capitulate, and they weren't really ready for this. They could have had kids out there, like, get real live people out there. Get an eight year old standing in front of a camera saying, Donald Trump, I don't have anything to eat because you know, snap didn't come this month. Get somebody sick on camera saying, you know, I don't know if I'm going to be able to live beyond next year, to even vote in twenty twenty six because this president Donald Trump is threatening to take away my health care. And I just I feel like they were not ready for the moment, and it is such a colossal disappointment to so many people because they ask us to fight every year, They ask us to show up and vote every year, and when it's time to show up for us, the rising majority, the base for Democrat voters, they don't do it. So I definitely understand the frustration all around, and appreciate and understand the frustration in your question.
Speaker 4: So I offer a thought on a few thoughts on what I think they did it for, and we can each check the box or not as to whether or not it was accomplished. One, I think they needed to fight. At the point that they declared that they were going to deny the Republicans culture the sixty votes that they needed in the US Senate, they basically laid down to the gland said we're prepared to fight. And I got to tell you, given the members of the Democratic Caucus and the US Senate, they ranged from everything from Republican light to the left of the left of the left, liberal socialists in the case of Bernie Sanders, who's an independent but caucuses with the Democrats. So the fact that the leader was able to hold together people who cannot stomach a shutdown. I mean, there are members of the Democratic Caucus who have decried using the shutdown as a way to make up political point and would never have never before been in favor of it. Who Chuck Schumer got to stick with him for forty days. And I think the American people needed to see Democrats do something to show that they had a fight to them. And I think in the moment that that happened. You saw a lot, You saw a lot of people stand up, speak out from everyday people who, quite frankly, I think inspired this shutdown. The people who were showing up at these protests on the streets, who were chasing down ice, trying to say, get out of our neighborhood, so on and so forth. I think they inspired much of what the members of the elected US Senate did so, and I think that they were successful in bringing a fight number two. I'm not sure that the previous the elections of a week ago would have been as successful across the board for Democratic candidates as they were at every level of government, from dogcatcher to governor of the of a state. And not only did Democrats win in many of those places, and many of those places they thumped the Republicans. I mean rounded lapse races that were supposed to be too close to call or down to the last minute, got called an hour after the polls closed. And in the cases of the two governors I'm sorry, the governor of New Jersey and of Virginia, they got double digit leads on their opponents when they were not expected to. I think that the shutdown the energy around. The pushback in the fight helped to inspire people to go to the wall and go to the mat for their elected leadership that they saw was going to the mat for them. And I think, I think, I think, finally, I would say the ending of the fight was one that could have easily been anticipated by all of us. You took a caucus who is already reticent to use the shutdown as a political cudgel to move public policy. You had a caucus that did not appear fractured up until the point that they started to negotiate to open the government again. Aside from that, none of us would have been able to name one Senator who was trying to shut the open the government up against the caucus's wishes. They pretty much stuck together until after the elections, when when when they when they couldn't stomach it anymore. But the reason why I say all of us could have predicted the end of this and quite the way that it ended, is one no one has ever extracted major public policy concessions from a shutdown, not Republicans and not Democrats over our history. Two of the two party system. Democrats were always going to be the ones who could never stomach, a president using children, using the employment of federal workers, using withholding food to families as a weapon against their opponent. We never anticipated a president would be willing to go so far against the American people to prove his political point. But this president was, and we know him to be almost diabolical and in formation. So when you compare the two Democrats were always gonna be the ones who had a heart for people. They were always going to be the ones who buckled under the pressure to not see people suffer. And if you're at a negotiating table, you'll choose to diabolical one as the one who will be the last to fold every single time. Could we have gotten more with longer? I do think that there could have been more extracted here, But but I always felt it would end. I don't think they begin with an end in mind. I think they began with a fight in mind, and the end would reveal itself over time. And what they decided was after we thumped folks on election day, that presented the opportunity to make this a keystone issue going into the next year's elections, and it was there. It was their opportunity for an out. That's my guess I think.
Speaker 2: There are a few things.
Speaker 1: One is I'm also frustrated with what appears to be the lack of strategy around this particular fight. Andrew, I completely agree with you that we never anticipated, and I'm saying we, I'm talking about the whole of the American people never anticipated having someone like this in the White House. But we knew with Project twenty twenty five. We knew with Doge, we knew with the last shutdown from his last administration. We knew from the last administration we were dealing with. The last shutdown that was thirty five days long, I believe was over whether or not we were going to pay for a border wall.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I want to be very clear about the fact that we knew who the opponent was. The Senate Democrats knew who the opponent was and still did not go to the battle with the right tools. I think the biggest issue here to your point about what they could stomach, is you have people who are watching folks lose their snap benefits, who are watching folks suffer with healthcare premium coming out saying that they're gonna soar. They want to make sure if people can survive, you know, a serious health crisis and just you know, engage in practices to prevent a crisis. But the reality of it is is they went and said we're going to hold the line. But they were also errant and I think lacking in compassion when they didn't consider who was on the front line. The people on the front line were those children. The people on the front line were the TSA workers. And I'm not talking about the folks who make six figures or above in the federal government who said we want you to hold the line. I'm talking about the folks that are members of AFG right, the Medican American Federation of Government Employees, those who said we want you to reopen the government because we need our paychecks. And I'm just saying, when you don't consider the front line in holding the line, you are always going to lose because who's fighting for you at that point? That is where I think the biggest failure was. And it tells us that many, not just not just the folks who are inn elected office, but we should expect this of our elected officials are still not clear about what it is going to take to adequately combat the enemy.
Speaker 2: What do I mean by that? I mean, they are fighting.
Speaker 1: Yester year's fight with yesteryear's tools. That is not going to work. They are showing you that they are ready and primed and poised and it conditioned even right to be a resistance party. They are not poised, ready, or prepared to be an opposition. An opposition party would have shut the government down or worked, you know, to oppose the government reopening. Really with fourteen votes in in County and said, we need to make sure that we have a snap mutual aid fund. We need to ensure that we have a fund for people to pull from if they're not getting their paychecks, for housing, for all of these other things. None of that was set up. They have campaign coffers, some of them where they could have afforded to make donations to nonprofits to keep these people going.
Speaker 2: That was not done.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even considered based on the people I talked to, So I just I don't know what they would have expected, right, Like, you're not going to win a long term fight and these people don't give a damn.
Speaker 2: You're hoping to pierce the consciences of folks who don't no longer have them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but kay, what's your thought?
Speaker 3: No, I think that from everything that I've seen, I think that Andrew you did hit something, and I think that the largest success was elevating the issue of healthcare to the forefront of individual's minds. Again, we saw on Tuesday that the number one issue that people faced was the economy, in number two was healthcare, and it seems as if in number three was a distant immigration. It seems as if Democrats are finally able to hone in on the message surrounding healthcare. Republicans own all those healthcare premiums rising, There's not a fix for it. Those costs are going to go up, and Democrats own the issue of affordability. Because I see this White House acting a lot like the Joe Biden White House when it came to issues such as immigration and crime, where Joe Biden and I was guilty of this as well, simply wanted it was. We would cite statistics when people were saying that they felt something, that they saw something safe, and we would be like, yeah, nah, but the crime rate, filing crime rate gone down x y z, and people were like, nah, that shit, I still don't feel safe. And so you see that, you see the Trump White House doing something similar with affordability. So Democrats are winning those two issues. The problem that Angela eloquently and passionately hit on is that when we got out of the game, uh you know this week, when we shut the we we shut at the doors, we did so without a messaging apparatus. And so now you depressed your base, which was so excited, and now your base is like, what what what? What happened? Why nobody told us we were going to do this. I mean, if you go out in front of a camera, or you go to a city and you're talking to people about there's too much pain in the streets, Democrats are going to be the adults in the room, and we're going to keep up this fight for health care, but we're going to reopen the government because this pain has gotten unbearable for our constituents. We're going to continue to fight. Then, maybe you don't have people out here who are struggling to comprehend the reason why. I mean, I think the four of us get the reason why. We understand the intricacies. We understand the ups and downs and all arounds, and we can talk to folks, including United States senators and people like that to tell us what is going on. But for people who are working every day, who don't have time to scrow x all day long or on Instagram all day long, they just see that the government opened and Democrats didn't say anything. And I think that that is indicative of a problem we've had since Barack Obama, which is even the good things that we do, we don't know how to message them. It's what I tell. What I tell Black folk call it time. If we don't tell our story, somebody else will, and we have to do a better job, particularly around this issue of sharing our story.
Speaker 5: I agree with everything that you guys said, particularly Angelou's point around creating an infrastructure when we're in the fight and asking people to hold the line like they're not. The people elected office are not the only people holding the line. The real people holding the line are going to get hurt worse and feel that the fastest, which cast a dark shadow across a lot of other people's lives. Mine included, y'all's included. But I disagree with you Andrew on this point about the excitement around the elections that we saw. I do not think that was necessarily excitement. I think those voters showed up more as a repudiation against Trump more than it was excitement about the Democrats fighting. I think it is comfortable to how black people have always maneuvered in this country, this misconception that so many people have about black folks. So were these Democratic loyalists, which is not true. The majority of the country was voting in favor of harm reduction because I can't really think of a united front of Democrats where I've said, like, wow, like they are great job guys, like they are really kicking ass. And I don't know that a lot of people looked at the shutdown that way.
Speaker 2: Honestly.
Speaker 4: I mean, I respect no, no, no, it's all good. I think in some people's minds it isn't. The conscious't. I won't say that this was consciously on the minds of people, but there are things that happened in the ethos that unconsciously motivate us one way or another. And a lot of people everyday, people and us on this platform right here, have gone through days where we said, what what is it going to take? I feel like there's no way to stop him. I feel like my head's on a swivel. If something's coming at us. Every single day, and what that drove a lot of people to was resignation. I'll just back up. I'm just gonna take care of me, you know, get through my day. And when you see people start to form the formations of a front line, it starts to buck us up a little bit. I think it starts to get us, you know, our spine stiff. And he say, you know what, I'm going back out. I'm going back out, Send me in, send me in, I'm going back out. So I think part of it there were candidates, there's the repudiation, but I don't separate the repudiation from a demonstrated effect of elected leaders going out there and saying, no, we're going to stop it. All stop, all the presses, everything stops until we get what it is that we want. It would be crazy of us to think, and would be foolish of us to tell the American people that this campaign of the shutdown was going to result, and the Republicans who had voted over seventy times to repeal Obamacare deciding, Okay, this is it. People are hurting, especially the ones I don't care about, and so I'm going to change my position and now go back on my word and my vote of seventy plus times, and give these folks.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I don't know, what can I say really quickly? Half of the people in the marketplace for the ACA are in Republican districts, when they.
Speaker 4: So are the people who are at the epicenter of impact from Trump's actions.
Speaker 1: Right and.
Speaker 5: Snap precisely, and so their constituents are feeling the brunt of this too. Had there been better messaging, forget about partisan politics, had there been better messaging from groups the Democrats, whichever were you, It didn't matter if they voted for a Democrat or not, but you are sending those constituents that they're elected leaders saying, hey, I can't feed my family because of what you're doing. I don't give a damn. Instead, a lot of people sat back and let them control the narrative and introduce stupid things like the Democratics shut down. There was not enough pushback, and it was too many echo chambers regurgitating things that were not accurate, not true, and so people are just sitting around like I don't know. I mean, the data showed, the polling show that most people did describe lame to the Republicans, but I don't think people were ready to seize on that and take them.
Speaker 1: The numbers also started shifting, be I know you were jumping in here, but I just want to just one other quick point. The numbers in the polling data started shifting towards the middle. It almost felt like our country from looking at just the numbers were evenly split. And I got to tell you, guys, I started feeling torn myself about not whose fault it was, but whether or not this was the right fight because of what Andrew just raised around ACA. They've always voted to repeal and replace Obamacare. They're trying to get to a point where they have trump Care. Trump Care will be HSA's health savings accounts where you're not going to be able to afford chemo or if you have any other life threatening emergency to cover it. Sure, it'll cover your check up, right, But one medical for like if your leg falls off, is not the solution. Yeah, shout out to one medical because I also use it.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying, off, I don't know.
Speaker 3: That ain't falling off. But yeah, yes, I get your point.
Speaker 1: Now amputated and I'm just saying, what hold on be because now you're going to make me forget. The only thing I was going to say is when you're asking people to start caring about something that they have repeatedly told you in multiple congresses they don't care about constituents, be damned by the way. I don't know if that was the right fight. I will also say that it was. I already said that, go ahead, a card.
Speaker 3: I think it's something a little bit more simple than that. I think Andrew hit on it. I think Tiffany was saying the same thing. Look, we haven't been able to say Democrats were winners in a very long period of time. We also haven't been able to say Democrats were fighters in a very long period of time, not since twenty twenty. Right, that mantra hasn't been something. And people like I mean, it's very simple. People like winners, people like fighters. And I think both of you all are saying the same thing in different ways. I mean, you're just saying in the inverse way, because Tiffany's right. But what happened was those Trump voters were depressed on Tuesday. Last Tuesday. They didn't get what they were counting on. They just thought that everybody else was going to be persecuted. They just thought Trump was going to come in and shit on everybody else. They didn't realize that he put them all in a toilet together, right, And so you had what, to your point, Tiffany, you had a depressed voting base on that side and a voting base that wasn't excited because they realized that Trump looked at them the same way he looks at us. And then to Andrews's point, you had people who believed whether or not it was it wasn't about them. And I think you're right about this. It wasn't necessarily about the shutdown. What it was, though, was this movement of energy, and they were just happy to be a part of the fight. They were happy to be a part of energy, and they saw the other side beat down so much. I think sometimes politics is more simple than people give it credit.
Speaker 7: For.
Speaker 3: The reason why Trump is very successful is because he has pulled off the greatest con in American history. He twice twice, but he convinced, He convinced poor people that a man who shits and olden toilets.
Speaker 4: Is for them champion.
Speaker 3: He is their champion. It's when we look back at history at that simple fact and how he was able to do that so successfully. People are going to be rich writing that book because it's so so fascinating. But those same people who he convinced of that not once, not twice, but three times. People forget that he had a lot come out three times. Those same people they finally came to this resident, they just resigned themselves to not even participating in the process. And I think you saw and the way, the place you saw that more than anywhere was in Georgia, because not only did Democrats run up the score in every single county, but you saw Republican strongholds just not even come out. That level of depression, I believe is something that will be analyzed as well.
Speaker 4: Can I say on the issue.
Speaker 3: What I say wrong?
Speaker 2: Nothing? What you said wrong?
Speaker 5: But I am always hesitant to give so much credit in convincing, you know, poor people that he's their champion because he didn't do that alone.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of help.
Speaker 5: One I said last week, the Republican base they're united in our destruction, so they don't really have to agree on the lot except that we hate these black and brown folks and they're stealing from us. Two I will say this until my death. I don't give a shit if it's etched on my tombstone. The media was willing to accept his narrative even now. You hear the media when they were talking about his beef with Elon and they were like, well, you've got these two alpha males in what universe? Is he an alpha male? He has a mitch if ever we've seen one, I've never seen. He wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight like he There's nobody I know who would saying this dude is an alpha male. But they will take that and carry that message. They also have a habit of presenting something that is illogical, non factual, and then taking a legitimate point and presenting these two things to the audience like, okay, guys, have at it. What do you think. So it wasn't that he was some genius communicator. It wasn't that he was so smart. I mean, if you just read the transcripts of some of his speech, if you just watch his debate performance, if you listen to things that he says, when you watch him on the global stage, he has a national and international embarrassment. So I don't think he has this charisma. I think what is so seductive to America and this makes it harder to beat. So I don't know how we beat this, and I don't want to depress our audience and sound resign. But what is so seductive to the American people is the power of whiteness. So Trump might die, but trump Ism is alive and well because if you can be white, white adjacent, if you can abandon your people and get favor on their side of the divide, that will always appeal to low level, incurious people who are willing to cut their nose off to spite their face, even if it means they're going to hurt themselves if it hurts us, They're okay with that.
Speaker 3: So let me just let me clarify my point real quick, because I do think and I just I just disagree with you, Tiffany, because I do think that it's I think we all have this resignation that we don't like the man, like a disgust right for what he stands for, how he carries himself, how he treats people. But what I'm talking about is the candidate that Trump was. Now, mind you, he used racism as political currency in a fashion that we have not seen in a very long time. Right, not only is he racist, but he used racism as currency. Yes, And what I mean by that for people who are listening is I remember I recall being in the studio one day when he was being interviewed by Jake Tapper and they were asking him to disavowed David Duke. It was a Sunday, and he was like, man, I don't even know who that is. But what was happening on Tuesday was Mississippi was voting in their Republican primary. Right, And so there was always this how do we use this racism as politics? But there was also something else about Donald Trump that a lot of poor folk, a lot of poor white folk, a lot of people gravitated to one. He has this perception of wealth. He has this now he'dn't been bankrupt thirty seven million times, all this other stuff, it's this perception of wealth. He also gave off this perception of I'm a winner, right, He talked about it all the time. I'm a winner, You're a loser. I'm a winner, you're a loser. It's very, very simplistic. But he also gave out this if I'm wealthy, I can teach you how to be wealthy. I'm strong, I can teach you how to be strong. And it was very simple messaging that resonated to those same people that came out and voted for him. I mean, eighty million people voted for this guy. Eighty million, and we have to wrestle with the why. I mean, I just think we can't discount the why of that. And it's not giving him props because I refuse to do that. But what I am saying is, as a candidate, and something we even saw recently in this kind of pull and tug of snap and healthcare benefits, et cetera, is the why people voted for him also leads to the disappointment they're facing today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially because Angela, before you go to Bcar's last point on the why people feel more connected, because there have been six that's what wealthy people, all of them been wealthy and successful that will run for president. The difference is as I actually think he's like he reflects for them, like that guy's like me, right, he he overdoses on McDonald's and cheeseburgers and and happy meals or whatever it is that you know, they say about him. He he he is, to use the term from from from from tiffany sort of incurious in all ways, right, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Care about the man. He's dumb of the difference.
Speaker 4: He is dumb, but he's not. He knows the difference. He knows the difference. But what he does is he played dumb, and he speak dumb, and he and he put he portrays himself like if you're sitting at home and you are one of those people who are like all of us, who aspire to one day have the means for everything you want and need without a care in the world. This man has or demonstrates to have everything he needs and I have not a care in a world. But he also looks like he may have come from around the block, down the street, you know, across the track, and there's a relatability to that because the majority of them are that too, not just the majority are the our our recipients of food stamps, which I'm not shaming. I had him grown up as well, so I'm not shaming that. I'm simply saying, this is the guy who looks like he may have started from the bottom. Now he's there, even though he started with a millionaire, a loon from his daddy and flushed that away and got mar You know, we know the story. However, he cannote it connotes something else when it's when it's when it's him, and you can't fake it. It is what it is, and it has electual electoral persuasion. What may distance them at some point is if their ship gets bad enough where they have to reach up, look up for an alternative. But it hadn't the heat ain't come strong enough yet, it's still hasn't come.
Speaker 1: I feel like the alternative piece is what's missing, and I think that is where the opposition, if they will rise to the occasion, are currently failing so on that I don't know if they picked the right issue. To your point, Andrew voted seventy eighty times to repeal and replace something, taking it to the Supreme Court how many times, Like this is probably not the thing that they're going to agree with you on. They called it obamacare. We called it obamacare because we were celebrating. They called it obamacare because they're racist, Like it's just that simple, and so Angela, can.
Speaker 4: I disagree with you just on this point, which is I think it may have been the wrong issue to get a negotiated settlement with Republicans, but the right issue for the American people because it is cross partisan in the sense that everybody has to deal with health care costs. When those premium come down, we all got to see and we all got to pay for them. Those people on the exchange, they all got to deal with it. And it's cross pots and that's why Speaker doesign jeffreyd Jesus New York. Jeffries has said this is non partisan. This is non partisan, of.
Speaker 1: Course, and that's how we open the show with Hai Kim Jeffrey's clip saying it's a nonpartisan fight. However, if people are still moving their issues aside and what is in their best interests aside to side with someone who is highly partisan in this area and to vote against their interests, I think therein lies the problem. Even Bakari, I know you wanted to bring up Tammy Balwin's amendment in the Senate that was voted down. They had the one thing that Democrats have been asking for for the last two weeks is at least this messaging vote so they get Republicans on the record, just so we're really clear and we're not ever accused the lines to the American people. That has been the play for two weeks. That has been the play for two weeks. They were willing to open the government back up with at least eight Democrats in the Senate for a messaging vote, and that still wouldn't have been a win for the American people. Mike Johnson, when challenged on Jake Tapper Show yesterday, says that he's not willing to commit to considering right these subsidies again, even after the House reconsiders this. It's not clean but their version of a clean continuing resolution. He's not committing to considering a bill that would reinstate these healthcare subsidies.
Speaker 4: But he's not committing. But it's not just to Democrats. He is now telling the American people who now side with this issue that I can't afford what is coming down the pike. And the Speaker of the House Republican is telling you, I don't give a damn.
Speaker 5: I hope moving forward, everybody knows what the Tammy Baldon Amendment is. Soakari, did you just want to say, oh, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: It just extended the subsidies for one year, which is the bare bones minimum that people were asking for, so that for one year you would have those subsidies. And there was a question of whether or not the subsidies should be paid directly to the insurance company or be paid to the person. That's a that's a cute, little legitimate inside the Beltway fight that people are having. I have to dig a little deeper on my analysis to see where I land. But the fact is the subsidies are needed to drive down costs. Andrews Andrew, and that amendment failed across party lines. We didn't get one Republican. But and Andrew was right. And again I feel like I'm like learning how to mediate you guys, because Andrew was right, and and Angela was right too, Like it was it was. It's politically it's a no win issue, and we know that for every reason that Andrew said. But politically, you know, in terms of political constituencies, it's a win win issue. You're never going to get them to change on this, however, because the issue is so transcendent. It talked to the end. Democrats won on changing the political conversation very rarely. I mean, you got to remember a year ago, we were trying to figure out what bathrooms people could use. We were talking about we were talking we were, they were but it was but it was it was monopolizing, right. You remember you had that, you had the ad, you had that, they ran ads on it. I mean that was an ad leading up to the election. We were This was the conversation that was being had, right, and now the conversation in the prison whereby people are evaluating their elected officials has It's hard to do it, but they were able to parallel park a submarine. They were able to literally shift the political discourse and conversation to things that are substance of that we went on, like health care. I just think that's that is the win, and I think that we just have to we have to take that. Now. The question is in like always, where do we go from here? I mean, that's that is the question that I struggle with all the time. It gives me, It makes my anxiety rage because.
Speaker 4: I don't they should not let up. If if now affordability and health care is where we want people to be thinking and deciding when it comes to elections, then then then where to your point, Angela, where the strategy must not fail, us must not fail Democrats. Is in the time between now and the time between the next election of when it is really pivotal to make the decision of whether or not we're about to keep charging forward with this man or bring his administration to a pretty much halts. That's what's on the ballot in the in the mid terms, and unfortunately, my level of expect but my level of what I expect the mcare it is like at the body.
Speaker 1: I know, I know we we have to close this out, but I have a quick, for real wrap around, especially in tip way in here too if you want, but the car because.
Speaker 3: You are what's the question, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry, because you guys are formerly elected officials. I want to know if you were in the United States Senate today or really yesterday, in the day prior, where what would you have been?
Speaker 2: Don't answer what.
Speaker 1: Would you have been? What would you have been thinking in the caucus meetings? And then how would that thought, that strategy, that idea have translated to the Senate floor?
Speaker 2: How would you have voted?
Speaker 3: So that's a that's not a rapid round answer. I got to I'm going to do my Tiffany cross right here. Let me and then you know what Tiffany, lean up into the camera. Let me do my let me, let me do some context for the people. So I, in all likelihood, I would have voted to reopen government on the condition, on the condition that we message around the why, because I am in the streets enough to see the pain that this shut down is causing, and I've seen it at the airports, and I know people aren't getting paid and that gives me consternation. But the only way that I wouldn't have done it in the middle of the night. The only way I would have done it is if I would have been able to either myself clearly articulate the why, or as a caucus we clearly articulate the why. That would be the only way that I would do it. I would have.
Speaker 4: And the caucus probably argued more for politicos will get this, but what about the everyday people who we asked to sacrifice. They won't get this, They won't understand the why, and they will likely be let down by the fact that last Tuesday they thought they voted for change around the country and this looks like the same old, same old. I would not have voted to open the government. What I would have done and I would have done this from the start is I would have identified the the the most vulnerable eight Republicans. I could the most vulnerable in the US Senate to go to places where you know, maybe there were split tickets, right they voted a Democratic governor, maybe a Republican president, whatever, But those eight seats would have those senators would have been under duress. Their communities would have responded so much because we would have been dialing ads into there. We would have had a volunteer operation that was making calls into homes.
Speaker 3: We would have it.
Speaker 4: Won't be astro turf. It may have began as astro turf because it would have come out of the beltwagh, but it would have been serious activation in those places. So those senators would have had no choice. I have been on plenty of votes, and the ones that have caused me the greatest stomach pain, or when the calls and the emails and the letters to the editors start to flood, and hell, it may have been from the same five hundred people. I wouldn't have known. It would have felt like the whole world had collapsed on my shoulders. And it would have it would have would it would have cost me all my loyalties to make sure that what I was in line for was to be on the right side of this issue. And I think from a strategic standpoint that may have been the failure is you ain't you know how we say, you're on television, You're not talking to the person I'm right directly across from talking to people who are through that lens. That's what we're not talking to our colleagues up here. Yes, the negotiation requires an action from them, but we're talking past them. We are talking to the American people, and we're talking to these people in these eight particular places that their folks are right now trying to do a shuck and drive. They're trying to steal, they're you know, they're taking your livelihood away right now in public daylight, and we got to go get them. And I would have sick them on them, right as they said with Doug, sick, sick them, sick the people on them. And I think they failed by trying to talk to all of them. They failed to talk to eight of them. And that's what we needed.
Speaker 3: Tiff.
Speaker 1: You know, Andrew just said that they that they that they would have done a shuck and drive.
Speaker 2: I signed us up for that?
Speaker 1: That sound like no, it sounded like I could drive by shoot, So sign me and no, I'm not for that.
Speaker 2: Sign us up for that, not enough for.
Speaker 1: That, not literally but figuratively, because I think right writing on the.
Speaker 2: Food, literally, I can't even get.
Speaker 3: Much. I'm gonna be in an interrogation room snitching. All they got to do is feed me.
Speaker 1: I'm telling them, you don't take much for you, but the thing that give.
Speaker 3: Me, give me some chicken Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: I'm trying. I'm trying my best.
Speaker 1: Well, all I was trying to say was I think I believe and Tip, maybe I'm not gonna speak for you, but I believe we would have been on the side of the caucus that would have us stand up mutual aid efforts and support for the people on the front line, and then we can make a decision about whether or not the government it can reopen. Hopefully we can hold out, but you can't have people holding out and suffering. Then you're just making them pick their poison. And that ain't never right. Know, nobody knows, Okay, everybody. We're gonna get to that listener question later on in this episode. But right now it is our pleasure and privilege to welcome to Native lampod Ari Berman, an incredible journalist and author, to talk to us about Donald Trump rigging the twenty six elections and perhaps the presidential as well.
Speaker 2: Ari.
Speaker 1: Before we bring you on, I just want to roll this clip from Steve Bannon, and.
Speaker 7: I will tell you right now, as God is my witness, if we lose the midterms and we lose twenty twenty eight, some in this room are going to prison, myself included.
Speaker 3: They're not going to stop.
Speaker 7: They're getting more and more and more radical, and we have to counter that. And what do we have to counter it with. We have to counter it with more action, more intense action, more urgency. We're burning daylight if you look across every aspect of this. We have to codify what President Trump has done by executive order.
Speaker 1: So we wanted to get into this first, Ari, because if you let Steve Bannon tell it, he's making it seem like where are the riggers? We're gonna be the one who are gonna rig the twenty twenty six elections, and they're gonna go to jail because I don't know, maybe the January sixth insurrectionist never did and got parton, So I wanted.
Speaker 2: To just bring you on.
Speaker 1: Are you have always been doing incredible work around the voting right space, voter suppression, this piece that you wrote for Mother Jones recently on Project twenty twenty six Trump's plan to rig the next election. Would love to talk to you about how you're seeing this, particularly after the Partons this week, so we'll talk about the Partons as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, thanks so much guys for having me on. Really a pleasure to be here. And you notice how Steve Bannon has a new jacket, another jacket on every time, like he used to have three layers and now it seems like is more five every time he talks if he's Trump is a gimmick, and didn't he already go to prison? So he's saying we're going to go to prison, but I think he's already been there, so he must be worried about a return trip. But I think what I learned from twenty twenty and just the crazy attempt to try to steal the election was we have to take these people seriously. I think a lot of people thought when they started throwing on all these schemes that like Originally they were joking and it wasn't going to happen, and then momentum just started building. And so when they say they're going to do these kind of things, when they say they're going to seize voting machines, or they're going to put ice at the polls, or they're going to declare a national emergency over elections to give Trump more power, I think we have to take all of these things seriously. And what's different about Trump's second term compared to his first term is he has figured out how to use the full power of the federal government to his advantage. And they're much more open about what their plan is. They're not trying to hide their authoritarianism anymore. It's right out in the open, and they're basically saying, we know we're going to lose this election if we don't rig it in our favor. That's why he's going all out to jerry Mander and doing all these other things. So I think the plan is really as opposed to being done in the shadows, it's really out in the open in terms of what they're planning to do. Now, the question is is it going to work? And are people going to be able to stop it.
Speaker 5: Well, we're seeing this week Ari, and I want to echo Angeline saying, I love your beat you covering voting rights from Mother Jones, and please people subscribe read the piece. Journalism costs money, so please support journalism. But we saw this week that Donald Trump part in dozens of people allegedly tie to overturning or attempting to overturn the twenty twenty election. He pardoned Ed Martin, a Justice Department attorney Jenna Ellis. Of course, Giuliani, Mark Meadows, his former chief of staff. Now this was federal gardens. Of course, there are prosecutors in Nevada, Georgia, Wisconsin, Arizona, and I think another state I can't remember off the top of my head. So he can't pardon those state selections. But I don't think enough people really understand the concept of how he's consolidated power to the executive branch. In March of this year, he issued an executive order that essentially there are three key pieces to this that I find very concerning, and I want to get your thoughts on them. The three components. First, there's this show your papers type initiative where you would have to show a passport or something similar to show that you're registered to vote using a federal voter registration form.
Speaker 2: That's very scary.
Speaker 5: Second, he attempts to make a bipartisan commission very partisan, the EAC, which oversees voting equipment, and he wants to access these voting machines, which obviously that is a very pronounced risk. It can also push states to do hand counting ballots, which is error prone as we know, it can cause delays, which I think is very intentional. Third, this is the most frightening of all these frightening components. He's calling for DOZE, this made up department and the Department of Homeland Security, led by the puppy killer Christy Nome, to obtain state voter files and other records kept by election officials. That's including voterless maintenance records. This is a very frightening thing. Now, you remember what happened when they gave DOZE access to the NROLB, the National Relations Board system. We immediately saw Russian IP addresses making several attempts to use to access that database. So putting this in the hands of Elon Musk is very scary. So when you look at the collection of what he's done already. I'm curious your thoughts on how we as regular people, what we should be doing to combat that, and what do you think the next steps are in this very Zirphonian, scary process.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those are all really good questions, Tiffany. I mean, I think the first thing is just to go back to what you said about the pardons. People are looking at it as a get at a jail free card for what happened in twenty twenty. But it's not just that it's a get out of jail free card for future election stealing, because basically the message is if you try to steal the next election through violence and force and intimidation and illegality, we're going to have your back here too. So the pardons aren't just backwards looking, which I think that's how it's been reported. They're forward looking as well. They're trying to send a signal to all the insurrectionists who now are off the hook, basically absent state courts, that they can do the same kind of thing in twenty twenty six or twenty twenty eight without any kind of accountability. Now again, we'll see if that holds up. But that's clearly why he's doing it now, to send a signal that this kind of behavior can happen in future elections. Now on to your points about the executive order. These were all really good points. First off, on proof of citizenship to register to vote, this is a real misconception because people say, oh, it's just voter ID. It's not voter ID. People carry around their driver's license with them most places. People do not carry a passport or a birth certificate around with them when they register to vote in their day to day lives, and a lot of people don't have those documents to begin with. And if you don't have those documents, like a birth certificate, it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to obtain them. And so you guys know very well there are people that were born in the Jim Crow South, couldn't go to a hospital, never got a birth certificate they could use in the kind of functional way we think about it. So it's much more draconian than voter i D. A lot more people don't have, and a lot more people will fall through the cracks if it's required. The good news is that part of the law at least has been blocked by a federal court. Now they're still going to appeal it, but for now it's blocked in court. The second thing is what you said about the EAC, which is kind of this obscure body that was created after the two thousand election fiasco in Florida to try to help stay It's run their elections more smoothly. It's not really functioning that way. And you mentioned the voting machines. This is really important. Basically, what Trump said in his executive order from March was that essentially all the current voting machines are not certified anymore, and that they need to be certified based on technology that doesn't actually exist on the market right now. And this is important because this could be a pretext to Trump doing things like you wanted to do in twenty twenty, seizing the voting machines, saying the elections were rigged, saying that we didn't vote on proper voting machines and therefore we have to do X, Y and Z to try to overturn the election. At the same time that people in his administration, the Justice Department are going around asking states, can we access your voting equipment From twenty twenty, which is totally unprecedented for anyone from the federal government trying to do. Remind me what the third question.
Speaker 5: Was, that's about essentially putting state election sensitive data in the doze dose.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, yeah, So they're really actively trying to do this.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 8: Remember it was a huge deal when Trump, Remember he lied and said that he lost the popular vote in twenty sixteen because three million people voted illegally, and then he had this whole quote unuote Election Integrity Commission, and they asked for voter file data from all fifty states and they were rebuked overwhelmingly. The Mississippi Secretary of State famously told the vice chair, Chris Koboc to go jump in the Gulf of Mexico back when Republicans still called it that. And now they're basically trying to do the same thing through the Justice Department, but it's getting far less attention. So they're trying to get voter data from all fifty states so they can run them through these immigration databases that are not designed for this purpose, so they can get a lot of false matches. In basics, say, we have found the fraud, we have found the non citizen voting that Trump said exists, and therefore we can call on states to enact of citizenship laws, we can remove people from the roles, we can file new lawsuits, all of those things. And this is happening, unlike in Trump's first term, very much under the radar. The Justice Department's already sued eight states, seven of which are run by Democrats, trying to get this kind of data.
Speaker 3: So this is something that.
Speaker 8: I'm still actively reporting on that I'm very concerned about because it's going to seem very technical, it's going to seem very bureaucratic, and then all of a sudden, you're going to see these insane headlines saying that all these people illegally voted, and then Trump and the whole MAGA universe are going to go nuclear around this evidence. And so I'm just saying, prepare for this to happen, because they're laying the groundwork right now for them to do.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad you went there. I was thinking about their first administration attempt to get that data, and I do remember feeling hopeful by the number of secretaries of states and governors who stood up and said no way. You know, one of the things that I've said on this show when we talked about elections being stolen that kind of thing was I've always fallen back on or relied on the fact that, you know, our elections are probably one of the most decentralized structures of structure in the United States, meaning the power exists at almost such a local level, from your county supervisors of elections, you know, up through the ranks of the you know, and through the states. And that the law I believe should come down on the side of the states every single time when when in contradiction with the federal government over the way in which it runs its elections. That being said, I'm curious if the president is this time able because he has figured out ways and is manipulating the powers of the presidency, declaring emergencies and so on and so forth, and is able to secure voting equipment, uh from from from states. For instance, we know he wanted to direct the military to go in and seize the actual voting machines and and ballots. I'm if you were forecasting out assuming he were able to successfully uh be allowed to seize the voting equipment or voting data. Those are two separate voting equipment very specifically, or ballots from states. Are there states that you would list as sort of flag, you know, burning red, as in if they were able to corrupt this system, that's the you know, that's the kid in kaboodle. Are the states that ought to be perking up thinking about and I'm very specifically thinking about states that might go D or R or are reliably D that may or may not have democratic secretives the states or democratic governors defend back against that kind of federal attack.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, Andrew, I can think of one state that you're familiar with, the state of Florida that I think would love nothing else but to help Trump accomplish this kind of saying a thing, a state that is already criminalized voting in so many different ways that in many ways was a precursor to a lot of what Trump is trying to do, because, I mean, they gave people the right to vote, and then they basically said we're going to turn you into criminals simply for exercising your right to vote, and did so in a very intimidating way. So I think that you're right that Trump is going to run into a lot of resistance in terms of his plan to try to just take over the election system, because there's built in protections. The courts have said that he doesn't have the power to tell Congress and the states how to run their elections. There are election officials in both parties that have pushed back against these efforts. As far as I'm aware, only two states so far, Wyoming in Indiana, have willingly given their voter files to the Justice Department. So it's a nerving that that's happened, But it hasn't been like all of the red states have come forward and say, we want to do this.
Speaker 3: To give this to you.
Speaker 8: Similarly, when they tried to ask for voting equipment in Missouri, a very red state in rural counties, they were told no, that's not how it works. So I am hopeful that the coalitions that stood up to defend democracy in twenty twenty still exist in some form or other, in a bypl artisan or nonpartisan way. But I am concerned about the pressure here that if Trump just kind of grounds people down. So even if they say no once, they say no once, they say no twice. We saw those are the jerrymandering right. When he wanted states to start jerrymandering. Republicans didn't actually want to do it. Texas Republicans didn't want to do it. Missouri republicans didn't want to do it. North Carolina Republicans may have wanted to do it a little bit more. But the point is is that eventually they complied. And so the question is are they going to comply in the same kind of way or will this be beyond the pale. The reason for Hope Andrew is that they may say, if we do it now, it's going to set a precedent, and we may not want this being weaponized against us in the other direction.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: And the thing about Trump is what's going to happen is as he becomes more popular, he is going to become more authoritarian, but he will be a less less effective authoritarian the more unpopular he becomes, meaning that if people see him as a lamb duck, as if people see and we know that the Republicans are going to do the right thing based on principle, right, but they might do the right thing based on politics, which is they want to save their own ass. And so if they start to see that becoming a reality, they may say, we're not going to go along with some of the more extreme things that he's trying to.
Speaker 3: Ask us to do.
Speaker 1: I want to get to get back to this pardon piece. So on November ninth, Ed Martin tweeted out this laundry list of seventy seven individuals that Donald Trump wanted to pardon. As you all know, Ed Martin serves as the pardon attorney for the Department of Justice.
Speaker 2: So he's saying, this is a.
Speaker 1: Very important parton list of the twenty twenty electors. We call them the fake electors. As tip as reference earlier, he listed particularly Georgia and Michigan fake elector in this laundry list. What I find fascinating ari is this list that again Ed Martin puts out November ninth. The last time the DJ Clemency and Pardon website was a web page was updated was on November tenth, But somehow they didn't put this up. It just so happens to be while we're in a government shut down, And I think what is disheartening is the way in which they move. They will spread certain messages to their base, but they don't move necessarily in great transparency. And so when I think back to your piece and some of the different flags that you kind of raised that would be the ways that Donald Trump would rig a midterm election in his and the administration and the people who support him, the folks who could have told him, no, we're not going to do this, but fold him. Every time we're talking about folding to day. It's not just Democrats who follow y'all right, These Republicans haven't launched much of an opposition to stay Donald Trump's authoritarianism. So when you talk about the ways in which he's using ice in federal law enforcement to flood the streets, the ways in which they would undermine the integrity of elections, the ways in which they've weaponized the Department of Justice against his political opponents, even naming Barack Obama as of late, I think he would be probably not able to be prosecuted given the criminal immunity now that the Supreme Court has.
Speaker 2: Given to presidents. But I just want to hear from you on this.
Speaker 1: How do you think these partons also go to support the piece that you put out around Project twenty twenty six and Trump bringing elections.
Speaker 8: Well, I think it just sends a signal to people that they can get away with this kind of election rigging, that if they try to do it again, they won't face any consequences for their kind of actions, and therefore it's going to embolden them to try to do some of these more extraordinary themes. You know, I started reporting this article over the summer, and I was asking people hypothetical questions, what could the president do? These hypotheticals became much less hypothetical over time when Trumps started sending the National Guard to places not just California, but started sending them to DC and Chicago and other places, and basically started focusing only on democratic cities and urban areas in terms of where he would send troops. Then when the Supreme Court said ice could engage in racial profiling, and then you had people like Steve benn And say we're going to have ice at the polls. So these kind of things are not theoretical anymore. And it's very possible, if not likely, you're going to have the military engage in some kind of election activity that has never happened before in American history. That you could have ice raids in democratic neighborhoods, you could have ice at the polls. I'm not saying any of the stuff will be legal, but I think they're going to try to explore these kind of things. They were going to try to say, for example, that they want to see the voting machines. The last part of my piece was about just refusing to swear in people all together. What we saw that happen too. I mean, we've never seen a situation where someone has had to sit this long to be sworn in, and people saying, why do they care? Are they just worried about the Epstein files? And to me, it wasn't just about Epstein. It was about the fact that they are laying the groundwork for if the House is contested, if it's within a seat or two, for example, and there is a member from California or another state where Trump alleges fraud, they're going to try to say, we don't have to sit this person so that Mike Johnson can remain Speaker of the House. Now, again, we don't know if they're going to get away with it, but they're laying out the groundwork to do so right now, and so all of these things that might have been hypotheticals, they're becoming very real. And I think that's why we all need to really pay attention to what's going on as it happens in real time.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this question, how do we talk about this without depressing voter turnout? Yeah, that's a really good question.
Speaker 8: I mean you've thought about that probably more than I have. I mean, I think you you. I think you have to activate people about the threats that they face, but I think you also have to say that people can overcome them, people can do something about them, and that you're raising awareness not to scare people, but to try to activate them. And that's what That's what I said earlier, which is that as Trump becomes more unpopular, he will become more authoritarian, but his authoritarianism will be easier to defeat because he's more unpopular. So I do think that the elections Tuesday send a signal that Trump can be defeated, that Trump is can be defeated. I also think it sends a signal that there were some problematic aspects to the voting. Bomb threats called into polling places, for example, but by and large voting went smoothly. And so I think that can be something that you can And I think it goes back to the message and at the protests around the country, which is that the president doesn't have the power of a king, that he might want to do all of these things, but that he doesn't actually have the power to do so, and that the way to prevent him from doing these kind of things is to check his power. So I would argue it's going to be much harder for Trump to try to steal the election in twenty twenty eight, either for himself or forever his successor might be. If there's a democratic house, then if there isn't right because if Trump is constantly looking over his shoulder, if he knows that there's some level of accountability coming, then he's going to be less likely to try to pull off these schemes than if the government stacked with his enablers. But I also think Bakari, I mean, to just ignore it doesn't seem like the answer either, because if he's going to do these things regardless, then I feel like you have an obligation to fight him. And you look at the jerrymanderin battles for example. I mean, Democrats could have just said, like the we're like the elect we're completely screwed, Like they're just going to go state by state by state and gerrymander and that's what they did initially, and then California said, no, no, we're gonna come up with something creative to try to check them. And then once California came up with something creative, Virginia started saying, well, we're going to come up with something creative too to try to do something about it. And now the gerrymandering wars, in which the GOP won the first three or four battles, is looking much more like a draw than an outright victory potentially. And so I think that's the example of how you can take something that ultimately is scary to people, can demobilize people, but then use it to try to activate them to realize that the right to vote is still worth fighting for.
Speaker 4: I just doubled down on that point. I think it's so important we oftentimes take away the brilliance of everyday American people to not be able to balance multiple things at one time. And my fear is is that when we don't bring these things out into the sunlight, right into transparency, people end up getting stunned by what they end up walking into. And when they're stunned or they're shock they tend to recess, not go headstrong through it, and so I think we talk about it as often, as frequently and as empowering as we can so to prevent people from showing up at a poll and seeing the National Guard and deciding, oh no, back up, reverse, I'm out of here. I don't know what this about, but I'm leaving. It's best we tell them what to expect so they persist, hopefully in charge right through it and full command of what their rights are to vote and to win. I am sorry, Angela, you got it.
Speaker 1: No, I just wanted to say, Ari, thank you so much for joining us. Ari Berman, you are incredible. We are so grateful to have you and your brilliance on Native Lampod. We hope this will not be the last time you join us, but certainly are going to be voting rights fights on every side, and we would have no other person that we'd rather be in that battle within you.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you. Welcome well, brother, welcome home.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Who cares about truth? When the last morning's seen it?
Speaker 1: All right, everybody, it is that time of the show where we are getting to action. These are our calls to action, and this time, because we don't want to spend too much time asking you all to come in, send your videos, send us your thoughts and questions. We are going to yield some of our calls to action time to viewer questions.
Speaker 2: Let's get started.
Speaker 9: Podcast gave me a headache. Steve stephen A Lenard is a provocateur? Is that menstrel and all he did was ask you questions. He didn't add anything in the conversation. How do we get these black men to realize that black women, this is why we're dying young. They're expecting person to do everything and to talk to everybody. Our community is not a monolith and we have never been this kumbaya loving thing where the women all talk to everyone and go on everyone's podcast. Now do you how do you communicate that to them? It's not about the people who agitate each other talking because two agitated people are never gonna are. It just doesn't work. I send you so much love because that was just tough and hard.
Speaker 10: What's up Native Lands is Craig. I just saw a recent episode. I thought it was brilliant, which driving me to God. And everybody was on the panel and I just wanted to say this topic really resonated with me because I feel like at times I've been on both sides of that black intellectual versus, you know, the view of the everyday guy. I've been on both sides of that.
Speaker 11: There have been times when I felt like I was out of place in both arenas. So I just wanted to say that I really appreciate this episode. It really made me think about a lot of things in a different way, and I want to say I appreciate y'all and welcome home.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you guys for taking the time. I don't know if there was a question in that, so for forgive me. I think the first woman was asking I'm not sure what she was asking. I think she was saying, how do we communicate to provoctive tours? What black women do? Sorry if I have anything about what you were saying, wrong, But what I'll say, what I appreciate is the conversation that this sparked in so many spaces. My dentist was like a really close friend of mine, Doctor Richard Forgore was telling me that people were in his chair telling him he didn't they didn't know that we even knew each other talking to him about the converse. So no matter where you fall on, whichever side of the divide, I really appreciate everybody tuning in and listening, and I still maintain my thoughts. Like I said, my thoughts don't slay in the wind of public opinion. The first time that I respond to something based on public opinion, I'm a slave to those thoughts, and it would, you know, take away the integrity I have. I do my thinking about a thing before I say it, So I am glad that other people had so many strong thoughts about it, and I hope the conversations continue.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just going to weigh in here.
Speaker 1: I really want to get black folks to the point where we can have disagreements without name calling. The ad hominem attacks are unnecessary. I think they're divisive. I don't think that you, and I'm particularly talking to the first syst You don't have to call somebody a minstrel or a minstrel show or whatever. It's just unnecessary. You can disagree with someone, you can say that they were factually inaccurate. You can say you know, this is something that I think encourages people to go a different way. Whatever but I just I really I don't like that it makes it hard for me to respond to the substance of the question. When I hear and at hominem attack, I try very very hard not to engage in those I will say that one thing I value very much about our show, my conversations with my brother Lenard, is I am stretched often to reconsider my position to think through things. To Tip's point, I don't think it means I'm blown by public opinion or swayed by public opinion, but I do think hearing different perspectives informs my opinion.
Speaker 2: So I'm grateful for that.
Speaker 1: Grateful for you Craig who said I've been on both sides it is, brother, I'm with you. I've been on both sides of it too.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: So I'm appreciative of those thoughts, and I hate that the podcast was difficult for anyone to hear. But I hope that we don't run away from these conversations. The math ain't math and without the whole of us, so we don't have time for any mathematics that would cause us to divide and subtract in this moment.
Speaker 5: Can I just sounds a quick question because I hear you about the name calling, but when we I just wonder if that line flides, you know, because I know I've been the phrase turned the phrase before and talking about people, and certainly, like on this podcast frequently you call like Clarence Thomas so Hucci like, and I think you're right. I think you nail it. I think that's very accurate. Do you like, is there a line where it's like, it's okay for these people who are on this side of the divide where you can say that, or do you feel like, well, I'm not gonna refer to Clarence Thomas that way anymore, which I hope you always do, because I think I don't think it's name calling. I think sometimes it's an accurate description.
Speaker 2: Let me let me clarify. Thank you for that question. Tip.
Speaker 1: I'm always going to rest squarely in the fact that I'm a human with hypocrisy, right, I got blind spots blind.
Speaker 3: I never heard nobody say that out loud, and I'm stealing it because that is a beautiful state.
Speaker 2: It is so true.
Speaker 1: And I and I hate the fact that we but that we when we issue these purity tests that we can't pass ourselves, like We talk about people all the time on the show that don't get to come on and defend themselves. We had a conversation last week where it was like, oh, well, this person's not on to defend themselves.
Speaker 2: So we have these blind spots.
Speaker 1: Now here's my real blind spot, Tom's I reserve the right to call a Tom a Tom. Now other than that, I'm gonna try to disengage from an hominem attacks. I think that black people who are striving for the betterment and liberation of black people, I do not.
Speaker 2: Want to call names. So that is really what I mean. Can I be pushed on that? I'm open to it. So I love to be challenged.
Speaker 1: I love to hear from people who are like, we want you to exist at a higher a vibration system.
Speaker 2: I'm open to it.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm higher vibration, but I got a petty side that comes around every hour.
Speaker 2: So I'm willing to be stretched their.
Speaker 5: First another prices, you know, like Steve might feel strongly about her position.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm not gonna do that.
Speaker 1: So one again, Lenard is I'm not gonna let anybody call y'all out your name to me. Ever, So Lenard is my brother. Y'all are family me. I'm not doing that like that is a hard line in the stand for me. I don't play about it. Me and him will go total told rumble on policy stuff, on strategy all the time. Do not call him out his name to me and think I'm not gonna say that.
Speaker 3: So, Andrew, do you have a call to action today? I don't. I don't know. Welcome, Welcome to the show. Brother, I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm saying no, we have more to say.
Speaker 5: But I appreciate both callers' perspectives and thank you for sending it in. And you know, they have a right to say what they want, but you know people have a right to respond. You still mute because you're still singing. Probably Andrew, take it off, mute, take it off me mute, be you go because Andrew is so. Butkar you had a call to action? What what's yours? I know you wanted to talk about veterans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I just think that you can't. You cannot live in this world and not appreciate those individuals and get people their flowers while they're living, or those individuals who passed, or some of our unsung heroes, My grandfather passed away, Reverend W. Williamson decades ago, but he was a World War Two Armie chaplain. It's those type of stories about the faith that led us, and so I didn't really care what nobody was talking about. I just wanted to make sure that I honored my family and lifted up those people who sometimes don't get the credit they deserve in space as they deserve it.
Speaker 2: Ma'am, Do I know that.
Speaker 1: We were talking about another listener question for a call to action? Are we doing another question?
Speaker 2: Y'all?
Speaker 4: Happy to yeah?
Speaker 12: May Gleam podcast.
Speaker 13: I feel so good about this week's episode. I'm not sure if I haven't listened well, but take me and Andrew, like you two really expressing why some of us did not find a humane vote for Kamala Harris really touched me deeply.
Speaker 12: She's being over qualified. I think she was the best choice. I have to deal with the conscious that I did vote for her in New York City, but I knew I was doing it as a selfish American in the sense of self preservation and readis reception, especially after I start Trump Raley in New York, which I didn't think was possible. However, I can't say I'm sad that she's not in the sense of she aligned herself with genocide, but that does not mean she wasn't qualified.
Speaker 9: But thank you guys.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that was a comment. So I the other thing I'll say is it is Kamala the pronunciation of her name, and that's it for.
Speaker 5: Me, and it got something to say.
Speaker 1: I just don't know what it's gonna take for people to stop saying this like she's she was on the stage.
Speaker 2: She's not just been on the stage with me.
Speaker 1: She's done a full book tour talking about where she feels like they've made a miss. She was the first person in the Biden administration to call what was happening there a genocide. I don't understand why that's not penetrating. I certainly understand frustration, tensions being high, but I just I really don't like that.
Speaker 4: And I think possibly because when it matters, that distinction wasn't there we were seeing, and when it mattered was when she was running for president and what her position was at the time. I think it was even further disappointing, you know, at the convention when and I know she didn't run every detail, every stop every whatever. But at her convention, we didn't get to hear from the Palestinian speakers who who wanted to take the podium, which on this show we created a platform for it. But you know, this is a big tent party and one big enough where the voices of people who were very directly affected by US foreign policy wanted to make you know, wanted to make their opinions and depressions known to a larger audience. And the DNC would have created that. But I think, you know, look, this is gonna be a hard one for her to shape because very few people are willing to accept that when you're that adjacent to power, you have your own power. But then you are that adjacent as a as A as A as A as a listening and sharing and thinking partners to the president and the US policy. It did not translate that there was anything other than support for the the Nehu regime and and and just the rot of death that has encircled that entire region.
Speaker 1: I guess what I'm curious about is how what like what people expected the vice president to do? Let me just finish this, but she also and she also did the same at the foot of the m and Pettis Bridge. Before she was running, she did the same thing. So I just I'm not clear about this. And I also will say that she talks about in the book several closed door conversations where she voiced very clear opposition to what was happening.
Speaker 2: I would love for people to articulate what.
Speaker 1: They believe a vice president can do, other than disagree on messaging, what they believe the role of the vice president is in that situation.
Speaker 4: But disagreeing on messaging when you're the vice president or a president who has a different position as a big deal.
Speaker 2: She did that at the foot of the m and Pettis Bridge, she did.
Speaker 4: And I will also say life was brightest on her as a candidate for president. I could not see daylight between she and President Biden.
Speaker 1: There was daylight in her speech on the floor of the Democratic National Convention. And I will tell you, and I will tell you that I also agree with you that it wasn't far enough. I do agree with that, and I will also tell you that she agrees with you, had said as much in the book that she did not go far enough. So I agree on all of those points. What I don't agree with are the people who did not see this. Man says in this question or in his comment that he couldn't believe there was a rally, a Trump rally in New York. Well, now we can't believe all these other things that are way far beyond a rally. And if you don't understand the distinction between a Donald Trump presidency and a Kamala Harris presidency, I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: And yes, there is a lot of light between.
Speaker 5: I think he so, just to honor his point, I think he very much probably understands the difference. And I think it's really difficult to have frustration with people who saw the daily onslaught of atrocities that we saw, of imagery of hospitals being bombed, knowing that the United States was funding it, and having the responsibility to call out our leaders to say, yes, we demand more. And so if you're bombing people who look like me, if you're doing this people who don't look like me, I want you to do everything possible to stop it, even if that means disrupting norms. So I don't have smoke for people who feel that level of pain, for dying children, dying men, dying women, that it is clearly an ethnic cleaning, while some people were walking around with a shoulder shrug an indifference. I just I understand that level of humanity from folks.
Speaker 4: So I hear you.
Speaker 5: I think I think there, I think there's ability to understand the policy of it. But I'm not mad at people who were conflicted and who still have a lot of frustration around it. I'm sorry if it sounds at all like I'm mad at anybody. What I'm just saying is there is deep frustration for for me personally. I don't want to project this on y'all, but to understand how vastly different they would be on these policies. The fact that Donald Trump has given cover to a war criminal in that Yahoo's currently under like in a corruption trial like this is not Those are not her people, and she made that very Some.
Speaker 4: Of us would interpret that the previous administration also gave cover.
Speaker 1: The previous administration did, but not Kamala Harris, so where there was distinction.
Speaker 4: But she's in she's in the administration.
Speaker 1: Yes she was, And the only way that there would have been any change is for her to have had an opportunity, and sadly there was. And again I agree that you could have gone further, she says in the books she could have gone further, but she's still articulated.
Speaker 2: Where there was difference.
Speaker 1: And I think what's unfortunate about it is not only did we not get difference, we got far worse with the administration that we have and sadly, in this country until there is not a two party system, there were only two choices, and Kamala Harris by far was the better choice. I know we all believed that as rough as this was, there were those of us who sat out of Christmas parties.
Speaker 2: We wrote letters letting them know that.
Speaker 1: There was a lot going on with Gaza that we could not turn a blind eye to. Do not hear me say that I'm turning a blind eye to this suffering, but please hear me say that in a space where there were only two choices, there were only two choices, or you could sit it out and you still made a choice.
Speaker 4: That's what we talked about that though last week Angelo.
Speaker 2: Yes, we talk about it again.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I mean the point is this, I think while we may be voters who can consider the full range of the issues that may be at impact on the ballot, there's some people who have a smaller window by which they view these things. And what I mean by smallers, I don't mean pejorative. I just mean single issues, narrow limbs, more narrow lens to what it is that they make these decisions on. And I get it. I try to. If I could force people to have to care about the range of it, I would, but we can't. And just because we can't doesn't make necessarily their motivation for going to vote or not to vote the wrong with the right one.
Speaker 2: It is frustrating. And I'll just tell y'all this too.
Speaker 1: And I know we have to wrap to sit with her last week and to have not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but six folks protest her, someone who like if they read, if they even read the articles, let's say they can't read the book, they read the articles about where she's at. Why are you not protesting Trump events? Why are you not protesting the Republican senators, the folks who have said that they will continue to get support from APAC donors. Why are you not protesting them? They're protesting someone who is essentially an ally and honestly, I hope she doesn't mind me sharing this was like, I want to have a roundtable discussion with some folks who are Palestinian leaders in this space so I can understand where else I can may be able to lend my influence.
Speaker 2: She's that type of person.
Speaker 1: I've always known her to be that type of person, So it's good.
Speaker 4: But I think part of the protesting Angela is that we liked we go places where we think we may we may be heard. Yeah, that's I think a lot of times are protest and where there is care, I ain't going to. Trump can come to here all day long. I'm not going to. I don't care for him. He don't care for me, and my protests are not going to equal concern by him for the things in which I'm experiencing. So a lot of times when we've organized protests within our own movement circles, within our own community, we go to places where we think, one, there is care, you might see me as human just like you, And then two I expect more, and so I want to say that and now we can get to the then happens after. But I think people make those choices very consciously, like this is where we're targeting. I used to I remember I told you when I first got mayor and they protested me. I was like, I was just watch all at the problem, bring food to you at night. This is that a third Well, now occupy a different space. Now you're the mayor and you represent a system, and that system is not gone just because you're here. It's it's continuing to thrive. So now it's on you. And I know you see me. I know you have love for me, and I know you care, and that's why I'm here demanding more. Whether that's the right tact, I don't know, or rather I don't think it should be the only exclusive tact. I think you put heat on everybody. But I do know why people make those choices, and its largely because you're going to a target who you think will see your humanity, who cares. And then two to say I expect more, well, I aree.
Speaker 5: You to how people feel. I'm not dismissing anyone's feelings. And I please fact check me on this, because I haven't fact checked. But Angela and I were talking about this earlier and I think I have not FactCheck. But I think this might be the only full broadcasted book conversation that she's had. Forgive me if if I'm wrong about that, but you all please be sure to check it out on NLP's YouTube page. It was a really great conversation and you can also see Angela's outfit, which I loved.
Speaker 2: God, thanks TIF. It was a repeat.
Speaker 5: I know what Paris, Yeah, yes, I was like, yes, you better. I loved it, loved it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's sadly it's because Inga's gonna kill me. But the Sergio outfits that I got, apparently I'm not tall enough to wear some of Sergio's pants, so I had some fashion fails and had to run that old thing back.
Speaker 2: It looks, you know, sometimes you got to do that. I really.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you, guys, I so appreciate you for stretching me, for stretching the audience, for stretching each other. I think it's so important that we always look not only at our politics, but policies and the impacts that it has on people's lives.
Speaker 2: And the one thing that you can rest assured that you're.
Speaker 1: Going to get on Native Lampod is a policy consideration that centers people. And so I'm grateful for y'all, even when it sounds like I'm getting callous, like I got family.
Speaker 2: That'll that will loop me.
Speaker 1: Wrote me back in And I appreciate y'all even on this last question and this comment.
Speaker 2: But car you are quiet. I don't know if you have anything before we wrap.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just tired of relitigat in the past. I look forward to talking about tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: I like our disagreements. I think it's get to see that in other places, so they have some people call it nuanced, but I don't even think our disagreements are nuanced. I think they are hardcore disagreement. But in other spaces we get lumped in the same category, like you're here to represent this person, but here we get to be free to explore ideology and ideas. So I do appreciate you guys for that.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, well, thank you so much for tuning in to today's Native Lampod episode. As always, we want to remind all of you to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampod. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our Reasent Choice Media networks. Politics with Jamel Hill, Hey j Off the Cup with se Cup and Now you Know with Noah Dibasso. Be sure to give those a follow, and don't forget to follow us too on social media and subscribe to our text or email list on Native landpod dot com. We are Angela Ride, Tiffany Crost, Andrew Gillim and Bacari Sellers. Welcome home, y'allrease order.
Speaker 2: There are three hundred and fifth way Pacari. There are three hundred.
Speaker 1: And fifty six days until midsterm elections.
Speaker 14: Welcome home to the Native Landing on the podcast space tests and for greatness, sixty minutes is so hit, not too long for the grave shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 3: So get invested.
Speaker 14: Cross the t's and doctor IDs, kill them, got them ass sellers stand on business with Rick. You could have been anywhere, but you truse us. Native Lampot is the brand that you can trust.
Speaker 1: Native Lampot is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit iHeartRadio app Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.