Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now let me check your pulse if you're not far though. What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 1: And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show, a much more film to watch this time around. You guys know the drill, top five tapes, What worked offense and defense, recap individuals, big play breakdown, the snap counts, all of that and a heck of a lot more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Yea week number fifteen in the books. Now just three to go. Let's go ahead and break down the dolphins thirty to nothing, comprehensive stopping of the New York Jets, and we start as we do with the big play breakdowns. I have three for you here. A record breaking touchdown run. This was one of my favorite plays of the season, and I'll tell you why, as it was a theme throughout the course of the football game. So third and goal at the two. The two previous runs have netted negative one yard the previous two plays. You're seeing a pass in that situation, you know, without actually running any numbers what ninety percent of the time, like most coaches aren't going back to the well the third time.
Speaker 2: But the best part of it was the design.
Speaker 1: It was akin to the Chase Edmunds run in Baltimore last year right before the game winner. Remember that like twenty eight yard run he had in the game winning drive. They're playing their typical man coverage down on low red zone. Most defenses do so. When Cedric Wilson motions to the field, you get rotation from the defense. One of those rotating parts is the force defender. The force defender is your furthest width defender who is responsible for containing the edge and funneling things back inside to your help. They remove that defender. Every defense that's ever been structured has a force defender against the run. That's how you drop your run fits. If you don't have that, you're gonna lose contain outside. You're gonna get up explosive plays or in this case, touchdown. And the offensive line flows that way with stretch action. So everything is telling you the balls going to the right side, except that's not how McDaniel's run game is designed.
Speaker 2: There's always more than what meets.
Speaker 1: The initial eye. That's why Max Crosby told him after the game, Dude, it's hell getting ready for you guys. It's tough to game plan for you guys and get ready for what you're gonna do offensively, because on this play you get double guard counter, which means both guards pull out to the backside. Lester Cotton and Rob Jones both hit critical seals, and those blocks are really accomplished because of the design of the left tackle and the tight end who are further left of those guys working down blocks to the right, and because of their flow that direction. You see those perimeter edge, those perimeter Jets defenders, they take one false step inside and that was all Lester and all Big Rob needed to get on the outside shoulder pad to get their butts flipped around. Turn those pads inside, seal it off, and it's a walk in cruise in Cruising USA. Raheem moster down run seventeenth of the year, nineteenth total. Both of those are Miami Dolphins records. The next big play is a deep shot from two A Tonguaailoa to Jalen Waddle on the fly by. It's so impressive how we get these deep connections often against coverage with just two man route combos. There's always a checkdown option of a release valve a running back of some sort, but typically it's Tyreek and Waddle executing a two man route combo to get the shot. Places for this offense an all game long, the Dolphins were helping with some max protect situation and it's a big reason why the offense was so efficient in this one, but never more so than on this one. I believe it's quarter quarter half aka quarter six, which is one deep defender has a half of the field. The other two defenders have quarters, So three defenders take up the entire deep umbrella of the defense, and DJ Reid, the Jets cornerback, is the quarter to the boundary the short side of the field. Then you have two high safeties and at the pre snap motion that widens those safeties, you see them shift to go along with them back to the field the wide side of the field, and that declares that DJ Reed now has to run vertical alone with Jalen Waddle, and this offense, if you get one player running vertical without safety help, on waddle Tyreek. That's probably where the ball should go. The protection's awesome because you have doubles on both Quinn Williams and Quinton Jefferson inside Liam and Lester and Rob and Austin both create this perfect pocket. And this is where you love having a player of tarn Armstead's caliber because he just shuts down one of their best pass rushers, Bryce Huff.
Speaker 2: Just take care of it.
Speaker 1: One v one will double up everybody else and just take out their best pass rusher with your best pass protector. Then durham smythe has help from alec Ingold on Jermaine Johnson, but guess what, didn't even need it because he shut the rep down. And news flash, if you're tight end shutting down an edge rusher, it's gonna be a long day for you. He destroyed Johnson on that play and then two aids in it getting that single coverage declaration by holding the quarter safety.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be a lot. So hang with me.
Speaker 1: The quarter safety who's possibly going to help impact Wattle's route with a front side crossing route from Chosen. So Wattle's going vertical to the left, Chosen's running the crossing route from the right coming left, and he occupies that other safety who could potentially get depth and peel out of his quarter coverage and just went back to the deep portion of the field and try to help because Reid got smoked. But that's not what happened, because Tua locks onto that safety before he pumps the ball deep, and that makes him kind of has some indecision. I better go buzz this crossing route. Now I can't help on Wattle, and then it's up to Jaylen. Waddle comes off the line of scrimmage against this off coverage, which is typical for cover six. I thought Jets fans complaining about their coverage, like, you don't want to press these guys too much, because if you lose the line of scrimmage, it's over quickly. At least an off coverage you can have a chance to kind of, you know, rotate and help and double. But he comes off the line wattle like the red Bull racing car. And quite frankly, I don't think I've seen another person on the planet that can run this route. He might be the only guy. I'm sure it's out there. I just probably haven't watched all the tape of the National Football League to see it like I'm not grinding Jamar Chase tape every week.
Speaker 2: You'll sue me.
Speaker 1: But I don't think that Tyreek has this in his bag because he's a shorter strider.
Speaker 2: And I'll explain it to you.
Speaker 1: So Jalen is at full speed and he takes this widening step, which you know receivers there're steps and how they stab.
Speaker 2: A stab is a.
Speaker 1: Term that receivers use in terms of like selling the direction they want to run. A stab step is kind of a fake. He sells this stab step inside that widens dj reed. It breaks him down. He goes from pedaling backwards and his feet flattened. For just a second, you can see him and that's when panic sets in because he knows, oh, that wasn't an inside move. That was a move to goal vertical. But the next step that Wattle takes is why he's full blown alien with this stuff. It's not that's not an on balance platform like you're They tell you to keep your feet under your shoulders in football, right, That's how you stay with your balance as best as you possibly can. That's not what he's doing here. But because he's an alien, he can drive off that stab step and accelerate through it where most guys have to dec and then it just gets even better because first Tua throws the ball down there in a spot like you would see one of the master chefs on chopped presenting their dishes to the chefs, like look at what I made with reduced vinegarrette made out of chopped tofu like it's on a silver platter. Couldn't be put out there any better. But Wattle has more work to do, and he stacks. DJ reed, what does stacking mean? So when you get past the defender, you know, if you're side by side with them, you want to make sure you get on top of them and put them on your back because then they have to play through you to the football. They can't run their full acceleration because they might tangle their feet and get a DPI like stacking the dB. It's taught across the entire football, you know, cognacenti as it were, to do that, and he does it here perfectly, and it allows him to adjust in flight to the ball because the ball kind of goes down the numbers, which is where two typically throws these deep shots, and Wattle's wider than that, but because he stacked read, he has more time to adjust runs right through it. I think it's my favorite touchdown of the entire season. Impressive, impressive stuff all the way around our third final big play. And I only use one of the takeaways here because the two picks late in the game, those were like it was over already, so you know, cool, and they were. They were kind of just pop flies that you know, sit me and through either way, Zach Steeler almost scores again. So there were some coverage sacks in this game, this was not one of them. In fact, Garrett Wilson got free on a drag route from mesh, which is two drag routes on opposite sides of the formation that come across the middle of the field and tries to create a natural rub on your linebacker or man cut corners depending on mannor zone.
Speaker 2: It's a very common man beater across.
Speaker 1: All levels of football. But before Wilson even cleared the hook defender, because you have two guys covering in man chasing those guys, but there also is a hook defender playing a zone in that defense, Wilson was already spinning out of danger from the pass rush, so it was open, but the pass rush defeated their offensive line to prevent that option from being there for Zach Wilson. And that's because Christian Wilkins wins from the one shade like immediately, and you know, the a gap pressure is the worst pressure for a quarterback. It looked like a com unication breakdown for the Jets on the offensive line because the center is sliding out to help the guard, but there's no one there to help on it. So like they did that a lot, there's not very good. But Christian is able to recognize this and then rush half the man and just discards him quicker than I can discard my Thanksgiving key lin pie. And Zach Seeler gets cut by the running back, but his presence doesn't allow Wilson to step up into that portion of the pocket, though he probably wasn't going to anyway, because this quarterback never does that.
Speaker 2: That's why he can't play in this league.
Speaker 1: Instead of that, he does his little roll around where he tries to extend the play, gets wrangled by the ankle by Christian Wilkins, and then like you could have gotten to throw away off, but not so fast. Be friend, because number two smells blood in the water and with a burst of speed around the corner, just accelerates her right through. Wilson hits him mid throwing motion balls on the ground. Sealer never gives up the play, so he gets back to his feet and then scoops it up for a near score. That is how you play phenomenal team defense. Who big plays in the bag. Let's go ahead and do top five tapes right here before our first break. Number one is Bradley Chubb. It had to be a career day for him. It's always nice to thread a thought from training camp that sticks and rides throughout the course of the entire season. And I remember being so impressed by both be Chubb and JP's work in the perimeter running game because this offense is so good at it, but they made it challenging on the Dolphins because both Chubb and Phillips are so good and he's maintained that menacing level throughout the entire season.
Speaker 2: Just look at him standing over there, all menacingly, and.
Speaker 1: He has multiple tools in the bag to win against those looks. You pull a backside guard cool, He'll put a little hesitation crossover step and beat them with speed. Try it with a tight end a guy that's giving up forty pounds a chubb that ain't gonna work.
Speaker 2: He's a top five draft pick.
Speaker 1: He has the production and the athletic testing and the physical strength to go punch that dude in the mouth and win with brute force. Also, he just did so many things in this game. He'll hold the perimeter on handoffs where Wilson would like boot out, you know, after giving the ball to Dalvin Cook or Breese Hall, because you have to contain that edge. That's his role, so you can't see that guy. I mean, sometimes they'll do it where they just crash the end and you get Lamar Jackson pulling the ball out zone read and going, you know, sixty yards down the field and Zach Wilson's not Lamar Jackson, but he can run, so you have to respect the boot action off of that. And then once he recognizes the ball has been handed off, just condense his inside and close that backside sea gap to cut down Dalvin Cook before you can even find that bend back lane, which, by the way, is anybody more washed.
Speaker 2: Than Dalvin Cook? My goodness, I can't.
Speaker 1: You can't watch that tape last year and tell me you thought you should have signed that player, like obvious, just like Devin White was deactive for the Bucks chest dam those healthy. Like I don't know, listen to guys that watch tape. I'm gonna have to ask Bradley Chubb this week. But I think his first full sack that he had in the game where he just destroyed Mackay Beckton inside the b gap is because I think he read that out real time, Like Benden winds up over setting and getting more depth than he should have, and Chubb just goes into a little breakdown chop step and he sees that opening on the inside. If you're gonna give a pass rusher of the inside lane, they're gonna take it every time. And he gets in there with an aggressive step pair with an arm over that just makes him unblockable for Becton, and he's literally passed him before Wilson's even got his eyes back to the defense because he's still executing a play action fake and he still got his back to the defense. Just shuts it down from the word go. That's like it doesn't matter what everybody else in the field does. Bradley Chubb won that play by himself for a big loss. That's the kind of stuff that like superstars do. Man seven pressures led the team, six stops, also led the team, three sacks, two forced fumbles. He might play the rest of his life and never have a game that good again, because that's tough to do. My second top tape is Jalen Waddell. This is what I'm talking about when I say the tape has been good for him all year. Yes, there are drops, and he had one in this game that you can point to, but the guy's always open, and you saw this game the ball coming his way. Finally when he did get open, finally, his plays syncd up with the timing of the offense and its breakout performance where he had one hundred and forty two yards, But honestly, that's probably a lot closer to two hundred if we didn't have to grind the game down to a halt, if the Jets could have scored a couple of touchdowns and kept the game close, and you have to keep going through the air. Waddle probably has two bills in this game, but the details of his routes, even on plays where he's not even in the progression, and you know, I can't know for sure that he's not part of the progression, but like there was a throw to eight Chen in the flat hot where it clearly was not going to him but to to Waddle. But his goal on this play, because you're running double slants to create this window to the flat, is to you have to sell the cornerback that you're going to win that inside access and it creates the lane with this little starter steps, stab outside cross face, and flip your man's hips. Once you get the hips flipped, that's when you know that it's gonna be an easy conversion because of the way the offense is designed, and for Wattle, it's just constant. He blocks this way, he runs his routes this way, he cheers on his teammates this way. He catches a dig later in the game where he sort of slow plays the release and this is like the nuance of his game that people just don't appreciate. Both he and Tyreek have this in their game and it's not appreciated enough, I don't think. But he slow plays the release and then when he sees Tua separate the hands and that thing happens fast right to rip the anticipation throw, it's like put the pedal on the floor.
Speaker 2: Was that loud?
Speaker 1: And go? Like he accelerates through the apex angle back to the football, which is third year player, Like, that's great, man, pluck it. And then it's like a good driver using the on ramp to get up to speed. Right.
Speaker 2: You know that driver that's going forty five on the on ramp.
Speaker 1: And you're like, go, we have to be going twenty five miles an hour faster in the next fifteen feet, otherwise we're gonna be blocking up traffic. We merge and we're already at top speed because we're a good driver. That's Jalen Waddle. He probably drives these streets in South Florida, which are dangerous, very very well. Eight catches, one hundred and forty two yards, one touchdown, nine targets. That's good for fifteen point seven per target. That's good for five point nine two yards per route ram. Those are both season highs for Jalen Waddle seventy one yards, but it came after the catch. That's eight point nine yards after the catch per catch. It feels like Wattle is about to take off. Let's go ahead and take off. Ourselves for our first break right here. Come back on the other side and do the next three through five top tapes. We'll do offense and defense and snapcounts, all of that ahead Drivetime Podcast your host Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: We are brought to you by Auto Nation. Our top two tapes went to Jalen Wattle and Bradley Chubb.
Speaker 1: Our third top tape from the Dolphins thirty to Nothing beat down of the Airplanes is Christian Wilkins. The way that this guy, I mean, everything he does is impressive, with the way he rides the flow on outside zone, the way he you know, gets back over a block that he shouldn't be able to power, strength, quickness, smarts, intelligence, leadership, conditioning. He's everything you want in a football player. But also what I noticed in this game the way that he adjusts to players leverage in real time. Kind of like I talked about with Bradley Chubb's pass rush on Makai Beckton for the sack. It's cool to watch it play out like that because, like there's a situation in the game where he's the pick man on a stunt that's designed to get seeler from that five technique to wrap off of his butt inside to loop around for that you know, free run on the quarterback. And as soon as the center the inside man starts to peel off inside to go pick up Zach Christian like like almost like they're attached, like if he pulls this way, Christian feels the rope pull and so he inherently knows I'm immediately gonna work my momentum back into that man, because not only will it collapse him and prevent him from helping on the on picking up Zack Seeler, but it also allows Zach or rather Christian, I should say, to further penetrate the pocket and split those two offensive linemen and go get the quarterback. He was, as always fantastic. This is the best year of his career, better than himself, and it's gonna pay off for him. Five pressures, one stop in the game for Christian Wilkins. My fourth best tape strap in because it's too a tongue of by Loa and I have a lot to say about our quarterback here. So the release and anticipation somehow has gotten better. I counted a handful of throws where he's throwing into a triangle or a window of defenders where he's banking solely on the fact that their current leverage will remove them from the equation and the space that he's trying to throw the football into. And it's not just those quick short shots over the middle like the fourth down conversion, the play where Waddle got hurt on the first drive. I mean, this is a throw that travels twenty five yards in the air with the safety on top of Wattle, a cloud corner whose zone reading Tua is zone dropping Tua with his eyes on the quarterback pressing inside, and the hook linebacker, which is not what they usually are, but against this offense, is fifteen yards of depth. Typically they're more in the ten twelve range, but against this offense, you gotta get more depth. So the skill to throw that ball into that pocket with anticipation and the layering because it he throws it with like a hump where it gets up over that first level and then just dives down into Waddle into the pocket like that.
Speaker 2: That's spin rate.
Speaker 1: That's a big hand that's generating force on the ball sideway, so it can have that little hump move like go throw a football. There's different ways to manipulate the way the football flies through the air to a tongue of Ioa is one of the best in the world doing that. Talk about all the traits you want. I want these things combined from my quarterback.
Speaker 2: What was a surprise?
Speaker 1: He's playing great football because he has those traits, crazy thought, and I thought that he had two misses on the day. There was a drop pick, which I at first thought was not that bad, but it was pretty bad. Although I will say Cedric Wilson came out of the break very slowly and rounded it off and like, there's no way a linebacker should be able to read that and judge it and jump that play like that. I got it when Brandon Eckles did the last time around, because he's a slot cornerback and Toua was late on the read. I thought this was more of the receiver kind of kind of running a half assed route of being honest, but still to a put the ball right in the hands of the defender. Luckily he drops it. And then there was a screen dump off on the opening drive. It's second nineteen, after the holding call, right after the big shot downfield to Waddle. I don't know if you recall that, but it's second nineteen and Raheem runs that little Texas screen right, the little angle route back inside that we had with success with Devon h Chan recently or earlier in the year, I should say, and Raheem has a blocker right in front of him in green grass in front, but he has to pivot and reach back and catch it one handed, which slows him down and that allows the pursuit to catch up. But that was it. Those two throws I thought were the only bad players by two in the entire game, because he was incomplete control of us one man. Like we had good spacing by design offensively, but this quarterback really accentuates your ability to maintain that space in the football field. Like he can start to the one to the boundary short side of the field right furthest out receiver, the one furthest out boundary short side, come off that and go all the way back to the field side to the one the furthest receiver that way, so the entire formation to watch the hook zone, the middle linebacker who's ultimately influencing your next read right, you have to find ways to move those guys so he can start a boundary one, go back field one and then shoot the ball into a gap in the hook zone to durham smythe where there's a linebacker on either hashmark and Durham's just chilling in the middle. The hash marks are like seven yards apart in the NFL or something like that. Like that's not a wind, that's not a very big window at all. Like to it creates it, though, And the reason the hookbacker is false stepping here and not driving across that and picking it off just like you saw happen to Lamar Jackson on Sunday Night Football, is because Tue knows where Durham is and how to throw it to him accurately, despite the fact that he's never looking at him. He just knows he's there, and he's throwing off of timing and rep and feel as in my helmet stripe is to the field to a flag route to the corner towards the pylon. But the minute my eyes come back to the hook, the throwing motion's already started. It's already going. He plays as fast as his mind operates. And if you can understand that, you can understand what.
Speaker 2: Makes to an elite quarterback.
Speaker 1: We heard McDaniel praise to it for taking some sacks, the first one, the third and three. Everything was bracketed, and I'm with coach. Any of those targets are a risk of a turnover. Sometimes the defense just wins and you have to tip your cap to those guys. Some drives will end in punts. But with how good and efficient this quarterback is, if we just don't force those types of throws and accept that flipping the field opposed to a turnover in those spots, with the way this defense is playing, you're gonna be tough to beat. If this team doesn't turn the ball over, they will, They'll win. I don't care anything else. If they don't turn the ball over in a game, they're gonna beat you. That's how I feel about this team. And the turn game manager has this negative connotation to it for whatever reason. But in this sense, managing the game and knowing those factors, good defense, struggling offense, field position, scoreboard, time of the game, that stuff is part of being a good quarterback, narratives or not. And so while he's doing that, he's also incredibly decisive. I don't think there's a good defense for him when he is the decisive. He averaged a career low two point oh eight seconds snapped throw. Even the best pass prussher are gonna get to the quarterback in two point eight seconds, maybe twice a game.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe there's back to back throws.
Speaker 1: In the last touchdown driver of the first half one a wattle drop, And I noted that because it was such unique footwork that just speaks more to as prowess as a quarterback. He takes the path of the running back like he chases the running back down like a draw, like like where you go get the draw and put it in their belly pose of the running back running up to you right. And then after the fake, he has to flip his feet all the way around because he's aligned to the formation like a right handed quarterback. And as he does all this, the throwing motion is already beginning. He plays as fast as he thinks. The whole reason the window for this throw is open against the off coverage is that Tua's footwork and some false polls from the offensive line, mostly Tua. It sucks that second level up and creates that window. These are the small things that people that dog in this quarterback just are not capable of knowing.
Speaker 2: It's that simple.
Speaker 1: The next one is the Braxton Burials conversion, that little corner route on third down. It's a true drop back on third and six with a blitz, so a fifth man comes and Smyth and Barrios are on a stack to the field, which is essentially so they're lined up right next to each other to kind of create confusion for the split for the defense. And it's essentially a smash concept, which is a corner route and a little square in or a hitch something to pull a defender inside to create outside access for this throw. And since Burrios is the receiver with a defensive back in man coverage, you know the receiver is the first to react because the DB's reacting to the receiver, not the quarterback like he would in zone, so it requires an insane amount of anticipation. He throws the football high in a way. It's perfect quarterback play.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: You can't defend that. The fourth down conversion is also perfect quarterback play. The Jets run a game to the weak side. A te stunt to tackle goes outside, the end goes inside for pressure on the quarterback. That looping end has a free run down the pipe right in tuoas face just like we had again, Zach Wilson all game long.
Speaker 2: But Tua has the ball out and I clocked it.
Speaker 1: I got one at one point nine to three and one at one point nine to five, So I'm gonna call it one point nine four seconds. That's not enough time to execute a stunt. It's not enough time to beat your man one on one. It's barely enough time to win off the edge and just run straight to the quarterback when they forget to block you. But now what Tua has to do is to protect himself. So he speeds up his throwing motion and turning into a little flick of the wrist where he drops the arm angled down to three quarters and he becomes more rist action opposed to a full wind up throw, because the wrist action is a quicker little dart throw opposed to a baseball pitch right, So he squares up his feet so he can absorb the shove. The defensive lineman loves to give a quarterback like ball out. Shove him right, hit him, make him feel you. The ball is out before Waddle clears. The hook meets him directly between two defenders, and the hit doesn't even put us on the ground because we are in a position to brace for that contact money. This is where I think his game has really gone to the next level, whether it's creating on the move or just speeding things up another notch. He's playing faster than the defense can. In all but like three games this season, on twenty plus airyard throws, he was one for one with sixty yards and a touchdown. The wattle shot, on ten plus airyard throws, he was four for five with one hundred and sixteen yards and a touchdown blitz he was three for three thirty three yards. When he was pressured, he was four for five with forty eight yards and three sacks. So that did get him a little bit, but that was about it. Great game to a fourth best tape of the Week Number five tape is Durham Smyth. He made a couple of tough catches where he takes a big hit, but the real reason that he's in here is for how he whipped the Jets in the running game. And Mike McDaniel on Monday called him the consummate Miami dolphin because the way he doesn't care how he gets to the winner circle. He just wants to get you to the winner circle. He's got a handful of reps in this game where he chips the edge that either helps Austin or Tehran to position themselves to finish off the block. Then he climbs up to the will or the strong safety to just the green on their jersey disappears off the screen because all you see is the white jersey with an Aqua eighty one swallowing up that entire block. The perimeter seal on both raeheem touchdowns, go look at any explosive runs off the edge. Typically Durham's the guy making a key block. The reason I'm going with Durham here over some of the guys who had gaudy stat lines is that I think the key to beating the Jets defense is to dominate the edge, and he is the biggest reason we did that in this game and back in week twelve. Honestly, it was impossible this week any of the honorable mentioned guys could be top five here, Like Zach's Eiler belongs in there, Jalen Ramsey belongs in there, David Long belongs in there. To Ron Arms, it might have had the best tape of anybody in the entire game of him being honest, fantastic, fantastic stuff. Durham had four targets thirty two yards eight. That's eight yards per target in one point six eight yards per out ran. Those are both season highs for durham smyth, let's go ahead and knock out the offensive notes here before the last break and just real quick, you guys want that play that I think everyone doesn't like right now. It's a little fake hand off to a dummy back, like no running back there, and then the backside flip. I feel like something is coming off of that. And I'm gonna go ahead and put a bold prediction out there right now. Cowboys game playoffs of cover three that could kind of open up a deep post route because of the way it influences that middlefield safety.
Speaker 2: Just keep an eye on that.
Speaker 1: I thought there were so many well conceived, schemed up wins for the Dolphins in this one, like making life easy on your offense when you can do that right, And it worked with synergy because all the quick game had the defensive line second guessing their approach aggressively. They want to get up upfield, downhill and come after the quarterback we're just a good matchup for that defense man. Like we've seen it in both games this year and even both games last year, particularly the first game when Raheem most it was rolling in that one. But we exploit their areas of vulnerability, the vulnerability that their style presents, like it's very much jizz of what we do strong. We hit a Chan on a flat to Converty a third down early in the game, and you can just see that's one place that's where the ball's going the whole way. But it's a clear winner, priestnot because Chan motions to the side of the field, chased by a linebacker who's already three yards out flank, you're not gonna catch him right there. The best part about to me, your playside receiver have to run convincing routes and both waddle we we talked about earlier and Krai Craft both get their guys to flip their hips inside to sell the inside access. Really really really good game plan and it's just what you want to see. One week, actually talked about the Titans in the same way because we got out coached in that game. Now that said, I will give you guys this disclaimer. I think there are clear deficiencies that you're gonna have to deal with the rest of the way, Like on the interior offensive line, there's too many power moves whe Quinn Williams, Chucks Liam or Lester or they overrun blocks the second level Like it's a problem, but it's a problem that we can survive as long as we stay as we are now. But the alternative, like guys off the street, I just don't know about that, So we'll be fine, But you have to elevate other areas of your football team when guys go down like Tua did and like Waddle did and Robert Hunt being back will be huge there as well. As far as the eligibles. Jeff Wilson's the first.
Speaker 2: One that I know here because what a teammate he is.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: He jumped into the role that we saw.
Speaker 1: Chris Brooks play a little bit earlier this year, where he's whamming the edge from those nasty alignments. You know, an extra blocker as an eligible is nice to have. I also want to add River Craycraft for that because he blocks every game.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: Raheem short note here kind of feels like Rinse repeat because I just talk about it every week with the physicality with how he plays so frequently it's him in a lineback with the point of attack, and he approaches that thing with a linebacker's mentality. It's awesome to watch Julian Hill when he hits defensive backs. There's just a force to it that like, let's put it this way. I don't envy those guys at all.
Speaker 2: It must suck. He's a big dude.
Speaker 1: He also runs a lot of routes where they kind of re route him and he winds up working through it in a way that acts as like a rub route, so he's kind of like setting picks downfield. But he always knows how to get the hands up, so it's obvious that it's not offensive pass interference. It's a level of vetsavvy you wouldn't expect from rookie, but Julian Hill's been doing that all year long. I thought Braxon Barrios's toughness was on display all day long as a return man. That tough third down catch and in the running game might have been the best burials game I've gotten so far. And then you know, we talked about the perimeter game, right, so we ran the ball off tackle, both touchdowns were off tackle, and had forty five of the seventy seven rushing yards off tackle. How about this the perimeter passing game from two Tongue Bai Loa. He was six for eight with one hundred and twelve yards and a touchdown pass to one to fifty three passer rating. So he can't win without Tyreek and he can't throw the ball outside the numbers. Right, got any more brain busters offensive line that earlier miss I mentioned with Tua where he had Raheem on the angle route. Even if he throws a good ball there, Honestly, Liam misses a one to one blowpace. I think it's I don't know, if he attaches to the block there, it's probably a big play. But I think you saw a few examples in this game, like that play where you really missed Connor Williams. You just have to find another way to overcome that, right, Like coaches are problem solvers, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Solve it.
Speaker 1: We just don't have the same unicorns on the interior that we once did, so what figure it out? But yeah, Liam and Lester overran so many blocks at the second level. I mean, it's a difference between rushing for seventy seven yards and one hundred and fifty eight yards. Like the last game against this Jets teams, that's.
Speaker 2: How it goes.
Speaker 1: Man, it's rough, and for that matter, I thought Austin had probably his sloppiest game of the year. On the holding call, he tried to shorten the runway, but John Franklin Myers attacked it with the same ferocity to the aj has and it got him off balance. He also got him on the first and goal failed run before Raheem's first touchdown run. Liam got smoked by Quinn Williams. So there were some issues on tape, but I do think when Rob Hunt gets back it'll solve some of those issues and I would go Rob Jones at left guard. That's just me though, so that's how I would handle it when.
Speaker 2: He gets back. Speaking of Rob Jones, thought this was a really good game from him.
Speaker 1: There were so many pass pro reps where he was able to transfer the weight and kind of slide to stay right in front of his man, like really really good stuff. He also has a good feel for when he can get off a double team and go find work. I saw one rep where he's holding Liam's outside post, and then he turns his head back to see Austin who's trying to deal with a guy crossing inside his face. So he leaves Liam, who has the block handled, and goes and gets a rack of ribs. That's playing team football, team offensive line, a five man operation. Just again, Liam and Connor are such different players. Man. It's no knock on Liam, because I think that Connor is the only center in the world that can hit those twenty yard downfield blocks outside the numbers. But you can also see Liam's nastiness in a booth like I like him in short areas, which is why I think the guard positions better for him. But we just need him for center right now, where he can kind of clean up a chip and then climb to the second level. Just stay compact. When he's compact, he's good. When he's in space, not so much. Toront's good.
Speaker 2: However you slice it.
Speaker 1: It's frustrating how it seems like something flukey happens to him every game, like a body flying into him or getting rolled up somehow. Just a freak incident seemed to occur every game for this guy, and he was his all pro self in this one man he's in the top five if you played more. I just felt like guys that finished the game should get more of that recognition because of that. But I mean Iso slide to get doubles everywhere else. He shuts down their best pass rusher. Hitting a block outside the numbers when he's outflanked by several yards by an outside edge, like squares him up, takes him out.
Speaker 2: Of the club.
Speaker 1: You have to go back to Richmond Webb to watch a left tackle play the way that toront Armstead does in this organization. Like it's so good man Kendall Lamb, what an asset he has been. His first play of the game was this was a red zone run from Raheem. Most of that winds up going to like the two yard line and he gets the critical block. Why to the numbers, Like, what a valuable piece he's been to be that swing tackle all year long. We've needed him all year long. Total numbers toront Armstead one pressure, Austin had one in his short brief appearance. Lamb had two on the interior cotton of Liam both had three pressures allowed, and Robert Jones had one pressure allowed. Let's go ahead and take our last break right there. Come back on the other side to the defense and the snap counts. That's all next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, finishing up this week fifteen film audition of the Draft Time Podcast on the defense side of the football.
Speaker 2: And everybody who was worried about.
Speaker 1: This game all week long, all the tweets, all that we're gonna lose out even though we're nine point favorites against the New York Jets. I kept trying to remind you, guys. I wouldn't put it on social but I would tell you in person. Hey, their quarterback is Zach Wilson. So the fumble he starts the game with like there is no business doing anything but wrapping up the football in that spot. It's a seven point bad decision, just awful. The next drive, first down, Garrett Wilson has a great route, the best route he's ran all year against Jalen Ramsey.
Speaker 2: That turns him around.
Speaker 1: But because this quarterback has to see it happen before he throws it, that extra second to process that he takes it forces a throwaway. Like we dominated the Jets in every facet of the word, no doubt but that quarterback is terrible and that offensive line might be somehow even worse. Communication breakdowns all over the place. I'm excited to see how this Dolphins defense plays against the top offense next week because I think they are really good. But the Jets offense was as bad as Miami was good in this game. But overall, like the game plan was awesome. And then this this creates some of that too, because Wilson has never played well in terms of you know, anticipation, but the game plan that had such variety was really what I think created some of that. You get your typical zones to turn into man match, right, But the shadowing of Wilson with Jalen Ramsey for two thirds of the snaps that he was on the field, there was a man free rep where Wilson ran the deep over and Ramsey is like closer to Garrett Wilson than the towel that's tucked into those waist pants, the waste of his pants. Like, it was so impressive to watch the way he ran with Garrett Wilson, and it was connected on the back end, which tells me that those breakdowns and big plays last week were more of a function of losing guy's mid game and trying to make it up on the fly.
Speaker 2: Let's go through this notes real quick.
Speaker 1: So the defensive line, there's just so much flexibility in terms of where guys can align, and they play together so well, their pursuit, their fundamentals, the selfless approach. They've been on it all year, and that's how you produce, you know, from different guys having multiple big games every you know, the whole year. It's why we have so many guys that have big numbers. Everyone's eating forty eight sacks is second NFL one hundred and seventeen qbhait first. And I already talked about Christian Wilkins. I guess rayk one had a rake one game. But Zach sealler Man truly a bowl and a china shop, just a ball of chaos. He's so damn powerful that every time he connects with someone, they feel it like they gets not knock back. But he has a unique balance that allows him to use that power to just clabber through people on his way to affect the quarterback. And his sack was just him basically walking his man back, walking his man back, get off the block and go make the tackle stack, peak, shed finish. They work on that all off season and you see it payoff throughout the entire NFL season. Four pressures and one stop for Zach Sealer in this game. The off ball linebackers that I love in this game, well, I guess Gink's more of an on ball linebacker, but how about his coverage Rip just shows you a little bit of everything every week. Right did it with a broken nose too, by the way, that happened in the first quarter. Like football players man, he had sex pressures, was second on the team, also got doubled a lot and messed up the connection of their offensive line a lot. So Gink not the big sack numbers, but he was impactful in this game. I thought David Long was fantastic once again. I never get sick of watching how quick he is. He's so fast he can break down and change direction with an athletic quarterback, which we're gonna need over the last two games of the season in the playoffs as well. But the way he also has no issues smacking a tight end or guard at the point of attack. David Long with James Cook and Josh Allen Lamar Jackson coming up like gonna be a big key in those games. Three stops and two pressures for him. I think we got better at linebacker with Duke Riley. I mean, he continues to show a real feel for this defense. He does a good job taking himself for the play before it even happens, if that makes sense, Like he doesn't get stuck in false steps, stays low, flows towards the flow of the play, you know, funny enough, and then the moment he gets a key like a pulling guard or whatever it is, it's fire the gun and go. And I love the way he attacks shallow crosses in the hook zones. So many linebackers, some guys in our own team wait until the football's out, then they react and they overrun the play and it's out the gate.
Speaker 2: But he anticipates it so well. And what an athlete he is.
Speaker 1: He's been exceptional from the moment we lost our own Baker back in Washington. Two stops, thirty four coverage snaps. They are one for three with six yards, and that six completion was short of the sticks with his tackle on third down in the secondary Ramsey, there are just reps where Garrett Wilson had to shut down shop like pressed widened, no speed, and we'd come to a stalemate and the play's over. Then he's passing off in someone else's own generating depth, taking away backside crossing routes, fallowing twenty five yards down the field to pick up that backside crosser. Just a master class from Jalen Ramsey. We rattled off the shadow stats up top thirty seven coverage snaps, one target in the game, no catches on the year. Quarterbacks are eleven for twenty seven with a buck fifty two, zero touchdowns, three picks. It's a nineteen point nine passer rating against He's all world man. I thought cater Co who had some good reps consistently in good position and we don't know the calls, but it looked like he was very on top of his stuff in terms of where he was supposed to pass off, where do I pick up, which was not the case last week. So good to see that there. And I thought Elijah Campbell played a big role in that as well. He had the awesome pass breakup coming from depth in the game. Eli Apple, I thought was his best game as a Miami Dolphin. Quick and decisive, kept things in front, fired his gun to go get downhill in those short passes, had a great pass breakup on third down that creates a punting situation. Good job by Eli Apple. And then Brandon Jones two picks obviously the headliner are there for him. But he made an open field tackle on Dalvin Cooking space on a screen that I thought looked like vintage of Brandon Jones. So fast and so physical, which is where I prefer he plays two picks, three stops, second on the team in the game in that regard, great stuff all around. How about snap counts, So we know we had a bunch of guys that didn't play the entire game, right, so the offensive line only two guys went the distance that was Cotton and Jones. Eickenberg missed five snaps towards the end. They took him out of the game there late, So your guy Jonathan Harrison got some snaps late in the game. We also had Tron Arms had played fifty three so most of the game before he exited, but it sounds like he's gonna be just fine. Austin Jackson was the one that missed the most. He played half the game after taking the injury. Tua played fifty three snaps. Mike White played the rest of them, which is whereas it eight snaps the running back rotation moster got fifty four percent of the workload eight forty percent. Have to imagine that we see both those guys get more work here in these bigger, you know, better team games down the stretch. Where else was alec Ingold at thirty one percent of the snaps and then Jeff Wilson got eight snaps in the game. Everyone got snaps in this game, man, The receiver workload went Jalen Waddle played two thirds of the snaps, Barrios played forty percent, that's the same number as chosen. And then where was Cedric Wilson, Sorry, guys, wilsonacks Will played the most snaps. He played three fourths of the snaps in the game. That's good to see that. Craig Craft got eight reps. Tight ends Durham played seventy percent of the overall workload, Julian Hill thirty six percent, and then Tyler Croft got some action as well as well. Chase Claypool played five snaps in the game. Two On defense, both safeties went the distance, which makes sense.
Speaker 2: No Holland, no Elliott.
Speaker 1: You gotta keep those guys up playing the entire game at cornerback co who leads the way with eighty percent of the snaps. That's actually the same numbers Ramsey, so they played the same number. Eli Apple played just two snaps less than those guys, so pretty consistent effort across the board. Nick Etham got twenty five percent of the snaps. Ethan Bonner played eleven snaps in the game.
Speaker 2: It's good. Just say everyone get some action, man. It's kind of how it goes in this one.
Speaker 1: And I don't think Cam Smith play because he got injured, so he only played special team snaps in this one. The linebackers David Long played fifty four Duke Riley played forty seven snaps. Those are kind of your primary guys inside off the edge. We had Bradley Chubb playing seventy one percent of the snaps with Andrew Van Ginkle playing eighty eight percent, So that's kind of how that work has gone so far since we lost Jialen Phillips, with Emmanuel Ogba playing just four snaps before he got injured. But that means Cam Good got thirty four percent of the workload in this one. On the interior, Wilkins played seventy two percent, Seeler played seventy one percent, and Rayqwan played fifty five percent. These low snapcasts, man, that could be a big benefit going into the next week against the Dallas Cowboys, just playing fewer snaps in the game. And then Deshaun Han had sixteen snaps as well. So there you go. That's your numbers at your film review, that's your podcast. We'll come back on Wednesday and break down the Dallas Cowboys a big, big, big football game here.
Speaker 2: Cannot wait for that one.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, subscribe rate review. Follow all that stuff, check out the fish Tank podcast, Dan Marino on the show. Do not miss Seth and OJ with Dan Reno, the YouTube channel for media Availabilities, Dolphins Today and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com.
Speaker 2: Until next time. Fins up, Caroline Cameron, Daddy
Speaker 1: Just coming home.