Speaker 1: You are listening to the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network. This is Drive Time with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: Back to throw to a looking ships about.
Speaker 1: A wide Dolphin touchdown, Tyriquel uncrelievable, just Bluevin for a second time. Don't know where he was going right away. I want to hit that though. Man, I'm gonna help you. Someone will keep on his man away.
Speaker 2: Wattle Watle to a shotgun, back to throw looking at them.
Speaker 1: Up myers touchdown. It's Waddle his six.
Speaker 2: Touchdown, Pats the King.
Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins. Now, let me check your pulse.
Speaker 2: If you're not for yeck your polst indeed, what is up?
Speaker 1: Dolphins?
Speaker 3: And welcome to the Drift Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins Podcast Network, covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: How's it going everybody?
Speaker 3: I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show.
Speaker 2: A little bit different here. We do cover your.
Speaker 3: Miami Dolphins each and every day, but also in light of the South Florida sports craze right now the success of the other teams here in our market, We're gonna welcome in Steve Goldstein to talk about the Florida Panthers, their trip to the Stanley Cup Final coming up later next week. And also we'll talk about the Dolphins. He is, of course, the voice of the preseason broadcast here on CBS four locally in Miami. We'll talk about Dolphins Panthers, the relationship between the two teams, Chris Greer and his brother, the GM of the San Jose Sharks. Plenty to get to here on this edition of the podcast from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is the Draft Time Podcast, Mayie Jeff.
Speaker 3: First, let's welcome in my guest today, the voice of the Florida Panthers, Steve Goldstein. And joining us today is the voice of the Florida Panthers, Steve Goldstein, and also the voice of your Miami Dolphins preseason broadcast.
Speaker 2: Steve. Welcome in.
Speaker 1: It is awesome to be here, Travis. I love to set up and thanks for having me so.
Speaker 3: We've had lots of osations prior to actually having in the podcast here. But of course, the Panthers qualifying for the Stanley Cup Finals is it finals or final?
Speaker 1: It is final in hockey and it is finals in basketball. I'm not I mean, I feel like it should be final because there's only one of them. It's not like, hey, the Dolphins made Super Bowls fifty eight. It's the Dolphins make Super Bowl fifty eight, so exactly. But in hockey it's final. In the NBA it's finals, so they kind of separate.
Speaker 3: I've heard it go back and forth on both to figure who better to get an opinion on that or I guess the actual official word on that than you. But you know, they've gone through this gauntlet of top NHL teams and the Panthers were a one seed last year. It's funny how that works out. Panthers and' heat both one seed and they don't make it to the finals or final, and now they're the eight seed and they push right through the playoffs. But the call that I wanted to talk to you about was the Boston winner in that final game, because I was the series that was back and forth. Weren't sure if they're going to pull it off or not. They do and you make that great call. And so I was thinking about as you go into an overtime period, knowing that we are it can be in a flash, right. Hockey's unique that way. Are you planning out that call ahead of time. How what's your process going into a big overtime game.
Speaker 1: You know, I am not because last year Cardi Verhagen won that series in Washington and the Panthers hadn't won a playoff series in twenty six years. So I didn't have anything planned. And I guess what came out is they did it. They did it because you know, like everybody else, you kind of can't believe they actually did it. So it was the same kind of thing when you know Montor scored with fifty seconds left in Game seven, and I think I said he did it, and no, I didn't come out with the only thing I have to say, as you know, is let's go home, baby, because people actually get mad if I don't say it. At this point, you know, Matthew Kuchuk loves Kachuck kuching, but I can't use that every time. But I didn't say Hoby Doobe do in some of the goals he would come to me. My family wants to know why I didn't just say I'm like, whoy, I can't say it every time you score thirty goals a year, so you know, but it kind of takes on its life of its own trap. It's it's awesome, But no, I really didn't have that planned. And you know, that's just what I was thinking, is they're all celebrating like the Panthers have shocked the world. A funny story, I could say now because Kyle Dubis, unfortunately he has now been fired as Maple leafs GM. After the Panthers beat him, he came up to me here in South Florida game one. You know, I know him a little, you know, like you see executives in what we do and you kind of nod say, oh, you know, it's not like I'm friends with us the family, you know, yeah, And he said, hey, great call in game seven. I think it was really because he was happy that Boston.
Speaker 3: Was eliminated, not because I made it. He's thinking, we got maybe a cushier landing here in the second round. It wouldn't behold not so much. Not so fast, my friend, because the Panther's rolling right through. But so you mentioned let's go home, baby, And I tell you all the time, like I'm trying to get it more into hockey. You just didn't grow up around it. I grew upround the three other sports. So you've helped introduce me into that. You give me some tickets some games, So thank you for that. We love going out there to sunrise. It's a different environment than South Florida's other major sports teams down here. But let's go home, baby, I don't know the origin of that. Can you kind of educate our fans there?
Speaker 1: So back in I think it was twenty fourteen, the Panthers played the longest shootout ever. It went twenty rounds against Washington, and I guess when Nick Bukes, dad scored to win it, I said, let's wrap it up and go home. Okay. Then about a month later they had a shootout against Pittsburgh. It was ROBERTA. Luongo against Marc Andre Fleury, a couple of Hall of Fame goalies, no goals until the seventh round. The Panthers scored and win it, and I guess I said, let's go home, baby. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You don't even know.
Speaker 1: The best part of it is two days later, it is like in December. Two days later, I'm at a Dolphin's game the press box and Dave Hyde is there from the sun sette And although Dave, he's been around a long time, written a lot of Dolphins books, and he says, hey, how'd you come up with that call? And I go, what are you talking about? And he said, well, a few weeks ago you said let's go home, and then two nights ago when they won that shootout, you said let's go home, baby, And I go I did, and he's like, yeah, I got it, Dave. I didn't know that. I went back and watched it and I said, you know what, I think I'm going to use that if they scored in overtime or in a shootout. And that's honestly, I had no idea. I even said it twice, and if it wasn't for him, it never would have become a thing.
Speaker 3: And no, it's in your contract at this point that you have to say it after every single game winning goal in overtime. That's awesome and that's that's how the podcast some of my favorite things I do is the repeated bits that come up over and over again. Like my tagline to close the podcast every time is the same. So to me, that's what makes like kind of that connection between you and your fan base a little bit, don't you agree?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I agree with you. You know, when people really like it and the little calls for players. It's funny when they traded for Kachuck at the press comments, you know, his dad is Keith Kachuck, obviously great hockey player and great, wonderful family, are likable people, and he said, hey, my dad, you know, the pressure's on. My dad's gonna want to know what your goal call is for me. So immediately I start, you know, down there at the TV station at CBS Miami, and I'm like, hey, guys, I need a Kachuck call. What you think And I guess it was, you know, Kachuck Kuching came up and I used it an Opening night and it was like, he's like, I like that, I just get that start. I'm like, you're in. That's it.
Speaker 2: That's in the rollodex forever.
Speaker 3: Now you got to use every single time he gets a goal, finds the back of the That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I love that stuff so much.
Speaker 3: So we talked a little bit about how the Panthers have gone through this gauntlet of you know, Bruins, Maple Leaves and now the Carolina Hurricanes, and last year facing the Tampa Bay Lightning, who were kind of the on the side of the Panthers for a couple of years there and even with the one seed and they they won the President's Trophy last year, right, so really impressive season, but it didn't work out the way they wanted to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious, like, as those two years.
Speaker 3: Kind of you know, played out, and now you have this underdog story and the rallying cry the eight seed don't gave us a chance, how do you kind of compartmentalize how those two years played out where maybe the regular season was not as much fun, but now the postseason is maximum fun compared to last year where maybe you had your heart taken out a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, let's say the regular season, I want to say, not as much fun. This year it really wasn't fun at all, right, I mean it was a grind. They never lost more until March, never lost more than three in a row. They never won more than three in a row. You know, Barkoff was sick and hurt, and Bennett was hurt, and Veabrovsky was injured, and then sick and up comes Alex Lyon and Spencer Night unfortunately goes out, and it was on and on, but it was wild. But at the end it was really fun, you know. I think it's a maturation process. You know, Like for example, you know, next January, when the Dolphins make the playoffs and they go to Buffalo to Kansas City, It's not gonna be Holy Cow, We're going to Buffalo. It's like we were there last year. You know, a couple of breaks, we win that game. So I think the Panther, as much as fans may not want to hear at Travis, I think the Panthers learned a ton from the Tampa Bay Lightning that it can't be all offense, what it takes to win. Paul Maurice one of his sayings, eighty five percent of the game is played within three feet of the boards. You gotta grind it out. It's supposed to be hard, and I think they learned that, you know, and bringing in a guy like Ku Chuck kind of changed the entire culture. Know I look at it, and I know we're gonna do something later. But I kind of looked at Chuck a little bit like Tyreek Hill and you were out there, you know, the second Tyreek hit that field in those offseason, WHOA changes everything the whole. I mean, first of all, I couldn't believe how hard Tyreek Hill practices. I'm like, dude, you got to get through seventeen plus three or four more to win the hole, to win the Super Bowl. Just the whole level of everybody, just and Matthew Kuchuck has kind of done that with that swagger for this team. So, you know, to answer your question, it was, you know, they make it a few years ago, losing the first round, great series against Tampa, win a series last year for the first time, then heard learn the hard lesson against Tampa. You know, they were blocking shots and Steven Stampcos is crawling off the ice, and I'm sure the Panthers are looking like, Okay, that's what it takes. And now this year it's amazing what they've done beating the three teams they've beaten.
Speaker 3: It's funny you kind of have two points so that Mike McDaniel loves to make all the time. Won the big games they played in December last year that you know, the Buffalo game that they went on the road and damn near pulled out. They're late on that Saturday night in the snow, and then the Chargers and Niers games, those.
Speaker 2: Big tests, and you get to the playoffs, you go back to Buffalo.
Speaker 3: And you have another big game where you you know, you compete to the very end despite being very banged up on that roster, just like the Panthers were throughout the course of the season. And then also Tyreek and coaches talked about like not that we needed to learn how to practice, but he taught us the next level of how to practice. And it certainly shows. You talk about the the ota is like the way he was running those go routes.
Speaker 1: Last year unbelievable. I was getting gashes like Jo he's great, you know, great player, but you figure, you know, a receiver and byther his legs are like the size of our body. It's amazing. But you figure, Okay, he's showing up one o'clock Sunday. You know he doesn't need to do all that. And you know, you know, it was kind of like that is sergeb Rowski, the Panthers. Guy's making ten million bucks, he's won two beds. Knows he's been in the league, you know, thirteen fourteen years, eleven thirty practice, eleven h five. I walk in with the nice coffee that you brought me today. Who's on the ice Sergei Ros He's already out there working. So the great ones are not only great because they're talented. It's the work that's the work.
Speaker 3: It's the Kobe Bryant right like four am, he's in the gym, already getting stuff done before practice. So you talked about a little bit of a just matchmaking there. We'll do that here in a second, talking about some Panthers and Dolphins and how those guys relate to each other. But one last Panthers question for you here. You got a Stanley Cup final to preview here, stars are Knights.
Speaker 2: We don't know who it'll be yet.
Speaker 3: This podcast comes out on Friday, so we won't have an answer by that.
Speaker 2: By the time we.
Speaker 1: Might have we might have an answer as your list. We don't know, but it looks like Vegas know as many games it's gonna be with the big lead. You know, it's another team that's just playoff tested. They've been in the league six years, Travis. They've made the conference final four times and made the Cup Final once in their first year. Very big, strong defense, So the Panther's gonna have to battle to get to the front of the net. But you know there's really no opponent that you look at as they beat the best team, they beat the second best team, and they beat the fourth best team, and the last two rounds they do it in five and four games. They've won eleven out of twelve games like the stuff they're doing six and zeroe overtime eight in a row on the road. So Vegas is a great team. They're hot. But right now, how do you pick against Barkoff, Kachuck and Bbrovski. I mean, these three guys have you know, And it's interesting against Carolina, you know a lot of toy You know, the Panthers' best players played their best. Well, the Panthers' best players are better than Carolina's best players. And I kind of believe that in this upcoming series as well, that the top few guys, if you just started a team and you had like a fantasy draft of both rosters, the first two or three guys are.
Speaker 2: Probably gonna be Panthers for a couple of guys. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: That's that's how you win big games, right, big time players, when big time games and big time moments or however the saying goes. So it certainly plays out that way, and that's that kind of is a good transition here into talking about some Dolphins talk here because Steve is, of course the voice of the Dolphins on CBS four for the preseason broadcast, and we love having you on there, and you and JT crush the last night, I got a new team in the booth this year, you guys gonna do another great job with that.
Speaker 2: But you know who better to talk to you about the relationship here.
Speaker 3: Between the Dolphins and the Panthers, because you know, we see coach McDaniel out there and he's at every game. I'm surprised I don't see the Marlins games and you know Miami inter games now as well, because he's out there, you know, waving the flags of the heat game and hitting the drama at the Panthers game.
Speaker 2: What'd you what did you give us? Great for the pregame drum?
Speaker 1: By the way, well, the first like the start and then the stop. It's just so mcdai and you know, a little you know, a little shimmy or whatever he did there. He's got he's just such a cool dude, absolute and he had a great time that. I was talking to him a little bit before and you know, about Actually he I was wearing the three P suit and Travis, this is the ultimate forget the football. If Mike McDaniel compliments you on what you're wearing, yes, you hit the jacket. I'm like, really, coach, it's enough swag for you. He's like, I give it to you. So that made my night. Forget about the win, forget about the Kuchuck go with four seconds left. That made my night.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. He got the watch game going and everything. He's he's on top of the swag down here in South Florida. But you know, he's just one of several guys that goes to the games and has that relationship here with all the teams here in South Florida. And I love seeing the support. I think it's really cool the whole community gets behind every single team. So I just want to kind of hear your perspective on the guys coming to the games and the relationship between the Dolphins and Panthers that seems to really be going to the next level this year.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I think we're just an underrated sports market. I think people like dumping on us, and you know, to heck with those people, Yeah, to say it lightly and you know, you know, most of it, like the Panthers in the heat. You know, dolphins are generational. You know, dolphins we have you know, granddads that were at the ob back in the day, remember gre Seeing Zonk and you know Paul Warfield. Thing. You have the dads that you know in the Marino era and then the kids that have come along in the last twenty years. And now we're big fans, you know, the heat and Panthers don't really have that. So the heat since Riley walked in, they've been winning since nineteen ninety six, twenty five years, making the playoffs, reaching finals. I mean, the superstars and the team and the Panthers the last three years have cultivated a lot of young fans and this will do that. So I just love the fact that all the teams, you know, you know, look, obviously there's some competition. You know, teams battle for ticket sales, sponsorship, so there's some competition. But I think it's great for the community and the sports community and everybody involved when the teams are successful. And I don't know if this is true or not, Traut, but my personal theory is that there's some kind of subconscious pressure when other teams win. I think other teams feel like, Okay, we got to step it up with these guys winning. But it's awesome. You know. Social media has helped with this. When one team is going, everybody's wishing luck to the other team. And you know, the pant First off, Mike White, new backup quarterback, is a huge Panther fan. He is. He grew up here in South Florida, went to university school where he moster is a big hockey fan, and he's been coming to games for years. He's there all the time. And know durham smythe comes to a lot of games. H new offensive lineman Dan Feenie the form of Jet. He's a big fan. So it's awesome. I love when I see those guys. You know, two has been at games. I love when I see those guys at Panther games. I think it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Two of the drum too, right, he was doing the pregame once once upon a time back in the season.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, he did as well. And a lot of the Panthers go to Dolphin games. I mean, you know they get the one of the end zone suites right in the field. Yeah, yeah, so a lot of them do that too.
Speaker 3: Those guys in Brooks kept got there, yeah, yelling his Brooks Yes, yes.
Speaker 2: So it's it's cool to see man.
Speaker 3: Then, Like we talked about this before he started doing the podcast here a little bit. And Chris Greer's brother obviously GM of the San Jose Sharks, and you told me that he wants to talk more about hockey than football when he sees you only only hockey.
Speaker 1: I love Chris Crear as GM has zero interesting talk about football, which don't blame him, but he talks about footballs right now. The great story about Chris Greer is Chris was a goalie until he was about sixteen years old. So I think when I saw him, what was it like a month ago here at camp. We came out to do something and hey Panthers, under good reason, it's all you goalies. It's all about you, goalie. So he kind of got to laugh at it that, but yeah, it's great that Chris is general manager here with the Dolphins. Mike is now general manager out in San Jose with the Sharks. And from a family and you know, their dad, Bobby was in the front office in the NFFL for many years, so they've been around it kind of their whole life. But it's amazing that two brothers rise to that level in two different sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's incredible. I mean you talk about like the Kelsey brothers and in football, but being a GM like that is there's only thirty two of those jobs leasing this league and then an NHL how many teams are in then, yeah, thirty two, thirty two, So it's that is a very unique job to land and two brothers in the same family poll and that down is really cool and the connection there between you know, team building up. I'm sure those those conversations that Thanksgiving or Chris mess are like you knows your approach to your undrafted rookies or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's all kinds of conversations of.
Speaker 1: Fascinating you know, Chris obviously, as we know what the Dolphins makes tons of draft deals. You know when to hoard the picks, to use them right like the last eighteen months, when to use the draft capital to bring in superstar players and go for it. And I got to think it's probably a fascinating conversations. You know, the Dolphins are here, you know, on the cuss of it, you know, precipice of winning Super Bowl. They're all in. The Sharks are rebuilding, but Chris has been there for the rebuild. So I'm like you, you know, because we're junkies and kind of sports nerds, we'd love to be a fly wall.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, to be a fly on that wall would be it would be a dream come true. You kind of allude to all the star players he's brought in here in recent you know, the last couple of years, and using those high draft picks to get a Tyreek Kill and how well that worked out for the Dolphins the season to go Bradley Chubb now Drealen Ramsey. So I was I was curious to kind of ask you about getting all those big time names and how that, I guess excites you for the preseason because you know, everyone gears up for the REGUS season Open and all that stuff, but you're the first one that gets to look at these guys and talk about them in terms of you know, a national or not I guess, not a national broadcast, but a big broadcast out to the local community here. How fired up are you when you get you see on your phone in March. Jalen Ramsey coming to the Miami Dolphins, you got to be like, that's second way for August. Well, I agree totally.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, you know, and I'm always a big proponent of you know, if you have guys on your team and you have the core and the guts, you go for it. You know, the Panthers, I don't think I'm a first round pick travers to like twenty twenty six. Does anybody care today?
Speaker 2: No, not one day.
Speaker 1: Hey, that guy might be a second liner in twenty twenty nine. You know, who knows who we're all going to be in twenty twenty nine. So if you can get the players now, I'm one hundred percent on board, you go for it. It was awesome when they got Tyreek. I was looking forward to watching him. You know. My big thing is and you know this, and fans know this. You know, I hope I'm in the minority most people. Hey, sit those guys out, don't get them. I'm hoping they play a little so we get to call a little bit. And you know too, and Tyreek did last year. But it's incredible, you know, it seems like the last eighteen twenty four months both hitting the jackpot in the draft a few times with Jalen Waddle and Javon Holland and Jalen Phillips. And then you start bringing in the guys like Tyreek and Ramsey and these other players. It's Ay and Chubb. It's a it's a star studed team. We're out there, you know, watching the other day in the OTAs, and it's like it's like a Pro Bowl, you know, caliber lineup just out there on one team.
Speaker 3: I tweet about how I have to change my approach at watching practice because there's just too many guys. I like, I was watching practice and like Malik Reid made a play like we sign a league read. I totally forgot about that because there was so many good It's a big time acquisition to the to the pass rush they brought in, So you gotta have multiple eyeballs. Best whall I have used next to me, assemblies practices the way aund Plus we got into Pus Mner. We got ninety guys. Know that's kind of a a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, but I mean Mike charts, Like people always ask me, how do you prepare for it? Manila folders, you know in a regular season game. You know, it's kind of you know who's gonna pay he's got there. Yeah, you know it's only fifty of forty eight whatever three If you want the extra guys to sturt there and you know who's in there preseason, I mean, you get down. But that's what I love about it. You know, the cater Coohu stories, Yes, who you know his family, the Ivory Coast wins a lottery to come to America and be you know, here in the United States, and this guy's undrafted and the Dolphins find him and the guy has a great year. I mean, those stories are just their price. So that's what I love about doing preseason because you know, you unlayer those stories.
Speaker 3: You go from Texas A and m commerce to covering Stefan Diggs and doing a good Joba. But it's like it's a crazy story and it's that's my favorite part too. Seth on the fish Tank podcast always gives me grief for how much I love the preseason, but I'm like, it's consequence free.
Speaker 2: Wins and losses.
Speaker 3: Don't matter, and you get to evaluate and watch players, you know, realize their dream.
Speaker 2: What's better than that?
Speaker 3: So I'm with you all the way, so you had roughly twenty minutes for intermission right to think about the potential call for Panthers and Bruins. But when they acquired Tyreek Hill, you had six months to think about how your first call might go. And sure enough, the first home game, first play to a deep to Tyreek Hill, and you nailed it. Man, the Cheetah is loose in South Florida. Was that pre planned?
Speaker 1: That was not. I wish Coach McDaniel in our meeting would have told me he's going deep on the first play and some help, coach, and I probably would have overthunked it, Travis and probably would have blown the exactly. So no, Like I see Tyreek taking off and two is back to pass, you know, and I see him and I'm like, okay, wow, they're just gonna make the statement, right, They're gonna go deep on this first play, and all the shout oh two, I can't throw the deep like Mike we did. Let's put all this to rest and get this hook up. And when he caught, that's just what came out. Like, you know, he's flying down there and I'm thinking about this is the Cheetah and it just popped into my head.
Speaker 2: It was perfect, man, it was. It was the perfect call.
Speaker 3: And I always watched the games, obviously in person at the stadium and then come home and watch him on the broadcast. And to get you on the call was really cool to see what we get. We get to the two or one one home game this year in the preseason, that'll be the Falcons game, right, the opener?
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the eleven, yea Friday night. The schedule here, so yeah, we'll have you off for that.
Speaker 3: But before I let you go in and get to our our fun game here Panthers and Dolphins, what are you most looking forward to this show? Like, there's obviously so many storylines with this Dolphins team, but when you go into the preseason, what are some things you're thinking about big picture wise?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I was asked this about three weeks ago Dolphins PR you know, great staff and and everybody in VIRA asked me, what do you look? Devon a chant, devon chan, devon a chance, and the OTA the other day did nothing to dispel that. I think this guy, Mike McDaniel is like the mastermind in the lab, and then you give him this guy whoa I think I'm looking forward to really watching him and seeing how they utilize him. Uh you know, obviously eyes on the on the QBS you know too and everybody else to see how they do. But uh, I think him and then the undrafted rookies, you know, the guys that they bring in and see who can make that impact will be interesting to me. And the training camp during practice, I'm really looking forward to the battles between the white outs and the corners. You know, there's gonna be some pride there. You've got superstars all over the place on both Rious'll be a battle there for that third wide receiver spot and fourth wide receiver spot, so we'll look at that. So, you know, I'm looking forward to all that stuff and really seeing what the offense does in year two and probably more importantly to winning and losing, what the defense does. You know, with Vic Fangio now a guy that's you know, mastermind, and it was fascinating to me. Vic took the year off from being on the sideline, said he came up with some new stuff, like okay, and you look at the guys he has to operate with that new stuff. It's amazing. What what what the potential is for this team we.
Speaker 2: We have on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Someone took a screenshot of me when he told me that on the interview and my face just lit up and they put it on Twitter and I was like, yeah, I was pretty excited to get that to you. To hear coach talking, it's interesting to hear a guy that's been doing it for decades, since the mid eighties at the professional level, because you would think a guy like that, Hey, he has the way he do he does things. I've been doing it a long time, and I'll no, And I also think he'll be you know, like McDaniel does on offense, which I think is great.
Speaker 1: And we talked about this. You know, coaching now is a little bit different. You can't just say this is my philosophy, here's how I do it. You've got to tailor it around to the players. And I think this coaching staff does a great job of that. Look at who does what well and put him in a position to succeed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen it all up and down the roster like you mentioned, I mean the defensive line last year with Christian Wilkins for instance, and what I think he's gonna be able to do in this new defensive system, it's just do more. I mean probably he's so good. He's so dang good and I'm sure coach will get the most out of him. So it's it's really cool to see. And you mentioned Devon a Chanin like, yeah, I ota practice.
Speaker 2: That was no joke.
Speaker 1: My man was shooting around pretty good.
Speaker 3: Tell you, I can't wait to see And speaking of a chain. So this podcast will be out Friday. On Tuesday, Jimbo Fisher's going to join us here and talk about Devon a Chang. So for you and the fans out there, check out that episode.
Speaker 1: And I always do you do a great job.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. I'm not love.
Speaker 3: I love watching camp with you, man. So we'll get back out there for for some more of that this year.
Speaker 2: Come to the top. This time you were down loan.
Speaker 1: Yeah I was down load. Okay, you're at the top of us. That's where that's where the scouts and the guy stay. So you got that ego.
Speaker 2: It's also that cool breeze in the back that you get from the.
Speaker 1: Dishes down there. Now you gave the fans on the open practices last row of the stands, you get a little bit of breeze.
Speaker 3: Yes, well you mentioned and Nolan she actually taped it off for the media up there, so it's that's only us. It gets that top row in that upper corner, so the upper corner reserve for us.
Speaker 2: So we're lucky in that way.
Speaker 1: Thanks An appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Ann. So I've been teasing this for a while now. I want to play a matchmaker game. I want to do this with the Miami Heat. Later on we're gonna have Jeremy Tasha come on the podcast and do it for Heat and Dolphins. I want to give you a Panthers player and kind of bridge the gap here about maybe fans that are not as big with one team as they are the other. Tell us which player reflects which player from the Panthers and the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: Does that sound good?
Speaker 1: I will do, my man. Now you're talking on the field on the ice, yes, So.
Speaker 2: What their play styles are and how they kind of compare.
Speaker 1: Soon.
Speaker 3: You already kind of gave us one with Kuld Chuck. I'll let you go ahead and start there and give you an ease into the course as it were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could Chuck and Tyreek, they're the two guys. They're the you know, they're the guys that get up and go get on my back. I have pressure. We all have pressure. I like the pressure come through in the big moments. And when you come through in the big moments, you know, you let people know about it. You don't care. You know. Funny story, Matthew could chuck and we know Tyreek will do this. There was a game earlier, I think that was last year when he was still on Calgary and the Vancouver Canucks were playing, and they put a certain line on it against them, and they scored a goal. They dominated the shift and he skated by the bench and said to the Canucks coach you're really gonna use that line against me? And he just and the coach said to the assistant, let's get a different line on the ice against right now. So I look at those two guys that, you know, have that personality, have that swagger, and boy can they back it up. I mean, they're both obviously the best at what they do.
Speaker 3: That kind of reminds me of Tobias Harris over me, that great walking off.
Speaker 1: Jimmy's got that too, man. Jimmy and Tyreek and Matthew could Chuck.
Speaker 3: We are lucky down here in Southward of these athletes we have, So how about do Claire Who's the Who's the Declaire analog?
Speaker 1: That's a great question the duke. I'm gonna go Raheem Moster love it. Yeah, I'm gonna go with that. You know, speed, anything for the team. You know, battled some injuries, been with different teams, come back play, always the good attitude, always about the team, not about the personal stats. But then all of a sudden, in a big game, in a big moment, like Declaire in the clinching game in Game four against Carolina, and so many moments for Raheem, all of a sudden, you look up and there's a guy making a big play and kind of a game breaker with that speed, both on the icen on the field.
Speaker 3: We have a breakdown plan for the Dolphins Today Show with Raheem Moster, and I was watching some of the old games from last year. Every game he had a run where he ran through three or four tackles and had an explosive play. It's like we knew about the speed, but damn, this guy has some grit tune as well.
Speaker 2: Look in the tackle. So I love that comparison.
Speaker 3: You mentioned carterif Hagy in the winner earlier, was that last season he had a big game winner.
Speaker 1: He won the series last year against Washington and the series Game seven against Boston this year.
Speaker 2: There you go, So, mister overtime sounds like it.
Speaker 3: So I guess it's a clutch player than maybe for the Dolphins clutch fair.
Speaker 1: I'll go with X. I mean, you know, last year didn't have the kind of year he'd want to have and normally would have. Obviously injuries were a big part of that. I personally, I give X a lot of credit for playing because guys like that, if you can't play to your level, you may just say, hey, I'm not good enough to go. But he battled it through, never really said anything all year. So big moment, you need a big play, and X, you know, comes up with those turnovers, finds that football and Cardiver Hagy, boy, he scores the big goals at overtime. He's a sniper, he sure does.
Speaker 3: I think X will get back to getting more of those picks that you had in years past.
Speaker 2: He still I think he still has.
Speaker 3: The most picks for anybody since he came into the league in twenty sixteen, So just an absolute ballhawk.
Speaker 2: How about Bobrosky, I say.
Speaker 1: That right, Oh, but yeah, Bobrosky, you got it. You can just call him Big Bob, brick Wall, Bobo Bobby. They've got a million, you know, a million nicknames on this team. That's their thing. With the for Hague, He's got like nine nicknames. Call him Swaggy, swag ou Swag, Delicious, swag, swag Hagey. It's ridiculous. Uh, SERGEI, Bobrovsky. You know, I'm gonna go with two. You know I'm gonna say, you know, it ends in with him. You know, this team was battling to make the playoffs last couple of years, very good won a playoff series. But when he is at his top level, they can beat anybody. And we're seeing that, and I'll go at the same thing with two. You know, when Tua was playing last year, Travis, he was in I don't even know if he was in the MVV conversation. In my mind, he was the MVP and this offense was, I mean the game, the game against Baltimore, my goodness, I mean just incredible. So when two is in there and he's lighting it up, you could have everything else. We talk about all the other players, but he's the key guy. I mean, if Tua is healthy and playing at the level he can play at, it's a super Bowl caliber team. And same thing as we're actually seeing. We're not speculating when but Rovsky is at his best. Yeah, the Panthers are a Stanley Cup Championship caliber team.
Speaker 3: That's the guy that controls right, the guy that kind of engineers at all and gets all those pieces working together really in unison, which you know Tua did a great job of that last year.
Speaker 2: How about I got three more names for you here.
Speaker 3: How about eck Blad, Oh boy, Aaron K blad Steady, let me think that's a great one.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm gonna go with how you're going to pull this out? Toront Armstead. Okay. Maybe a guy that you know you don't notice all the time, you know, not watching the old line, Aaron eck Bladd has been a fantastic defensive defenseman during these playoffs, sacrifice some offense and playing his best hockey. And when he's not out there, like earlier this year he missed some games, you all of a sudden realize you miss him. A lot more than maybe you thought. And Toront obviously was that guy for the Dolphins, high caliber player, selfless has an impact on the other players, you know, the guy that whoever plays next to Toront Armstead gets, you know, kind of a learning experience. I think Foresling has helped that glad they're a deep pair, but Eck Bladd has also helped Gustav Forsling. So right now, I'd say.
Speaker 3: Those two, Yeah, watching Toront at practicing, just coaching guys up when he's when he's not even dressed. He's just he's always out there involved in doing doing stuff the other guys too. A great teammate, so we love hearing that. And then uh, Barkoff.
Speaker 1: Mister every thing, Sasha Barkov kind of you know, I'm gonna go with Jalen Waddle because Tyreek, like Ka Chuck, you know, gets he wants to do. You know, he does the interviews and all the stuff and gets all the you know, but there's Jalen Wattle all the time, you know, on third and four and he's out in the flat and you know who's making that tough catch in the key moment, And Barkoff's just an amazing to me. He's the best all around player in hockey. You know, Connor McDavid is the most explosive player, the highest scorer, But with Alexander bark you know that well, you know you love the analytics, analytics and hockey. You have things like board battles and blocked passes in your defensive zone and barkaw and there's like ten others. Barkoff is first in every single.
Speaker 2: Year cellar here.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a gun. That's why when people's always not scoring all he doesn't need to score all the time. By the way, he does have about a point of game during the playoffs and have two assists in the clinching game to go to the Cup. So I kind of look at Waddle that way, only because there's Tyreek there. So Tyreek gets a lot of the pub. And two he gets a lot of the pub. But there's Jalen Waddell and maybe could chuck and right now, but Rovsky getting a lot of publicity, and Alexander Barkoff doesn't care. In fact, I think he might have us even prefer keep talking about them.
Speaker 2: All I want to do.
Speaker 1: Is do my job and win.
Speaker 3: Blend into the background and be the big part of the story at the end of it. And you know, you talk about the guys do those fine details to win games. That is like my number one thing I love in sports. It's why I love the Miami Heat because they do so so much work in transition, taking charges, you know, getting back on defense. That is to me what makes a team lovable. And so for a player to be like that.
Speaker 1: Who else do you think on the Dolphins does it really well that does all the little details? Yeah, who else do you have?
Speaker 3: I would probably say might be a Zach Stealer, Christian Wilkins type of great pulling area to focus just because you know that that position. And Wilkins disproves us because he had ninety something ninety nine tackles last.
Speaker 1: Year, but most by alignment and like forever. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, but that's a position that typically doesn't you know, garner stats. But it's an unappreciated job. But those guys are such a good job of creating chances for other folks on the on the front on the front line, they're in the pass.
Speaker 1: So I didn't do a great job with Wattle, Okay, can I change to Wilkins and I already did my match.
Speaker 2: And them, well, so I mean to bring it to Wattle. I know you did a great job. I thought that was all really good.
Speaker 3: But to bring it to Wattle the way he you know, everyone talks about his speed in his game, right, but it's his details and the way he every step of his route is intentional has it's deliberate in this purpose. So I think that's a little bit of comparison there in terms of just I'm gonna be super sharp in all these fine details to beat you.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's bark coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he definitely does that.
Speaker 2: Ye, that's really cool to hear.
Speaker 3: Steve Golden, the voice of the four, almost said I almost said the Miami Panthers.
Speaker 2: There would be strange the.
Speaker 3: Florida Panthers also your Miami Dolphins on CBS four. You can find him at Goldie on Ice on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So I just want to do can we get this look with Trap? Not only does he text me would you like a latte? Or And I'm like, oh, buddy, I really appreciate that he puts my name on it. It's waiting when I get here.
Speaker 2: I just didn't want you to have the wrong name because I had.
Speaker 1: My podcast Extraordinaire Football Analyst Extraordinaire, and I find out Biche three still extraordinary.
Speaker 3: To the resume, oh Man, appreciate you. That's awesome, so good, thank you, very good stuff.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Of course, I always kind of like it when podcasts leave in the extra stuff right after the MIC's er cut are supposed to be cut, and I thought that was pretty cool to hear me and Me and Goldie there chopping it up after the fact. There so little bit of a bonus edition there of the podcast that you guys got to hear there here on draft time.
Speaker 2: How much fun was that? Though?
Speaker 3: He's great check him out, of course, not just for the Florida Panthers, but for the Miami Dolphins preseason action. He'll be calling the Falcons game week number one here at home here at Hard Rocks Am, as well as the games on the road too. But the games at home, of course are his bread and butter. Let's go ahead and get out of here. On the next edition of the podcast, you're gonna hear from Jimbo Fisher talking about devon a chain. You're also gonna hear from Jeremy tax Shay of Bali Sports, a breakdown the Miami Heats run to the NBA Finals. All of that coming your way on the next edition of the Draft Time Podcast. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Podcast.
Speaker 2: Leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter at Winkle NFL.
Speaker 3: Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Jews. Check out the team YouTube channel for Dolphins Today, media availabilities, and much much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, fins up Caroline and Cameron Daddy, He's goming home.