Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Coast to Coast and my guest is Deborah Buris, and we are talking about weather Magic, which is the name of her book. Before the break, we were talking about more extreme patterns in the weather, and we were talking about the ocean's heating up, not cooling like they should be doing, and holding all of that co two in the atmosphere. Why tell me why it is heating up in the first place. I mean, your experience of that as an astrophysicist, I'm really curious.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you can say, you can call it whatever word you want to call it, but humans have had an impact on this planet since the industrial age, right, so we are producing these gases and it's just the fact.
Speaker 4: And I'm just looking for the facts, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Our atmosphere is compared and nitrogen and oxygen, and it has some carbon dioxide in it naturally, and that's a good thing. Right. We need the green we need People used to call it say, oh, it's the green half effect. Well we need the greenhouse effect. You want some greenhouse effects, because if you don't have that, if you don't have the heat ability to keep a little bit of heat in the atmosphere, then you get these verit you would get this crazy extreme difference in temperature between night and day, like it would be you know, one hundred and fifty degrees during the daytime and you know minus thirty at night, and when who wants that?
Speaker 4: Hat? Okay, So it keeps the temperatures, it.
Speaker 3: Moderates the temperature, and that's a good thing. What you don't want is the runaway green half effect, which is what the planet Venus has. Venus is an example of what you don't want. It is the atmosphere on Venus is full of not just carbon dioxide, but other more volatile gases that retain heat. And so the temperature on Venus is about the same all the time. It's about nine hundred degrees fahrenheit all the time because that heat gets trapped in there and it can't reradiate back out into the atmosphere, so they're back out into space. So think about, for example, in the winter, like we talk about when we start to look at like is it going to freeze tonight? Is there going to be a frost tonight? If you're a gardener, is it going to be a frost, Do I need to go outside and cover up my tomatoes or whatever? If it's the cloudy night, Generally that is not going to happen because the clouds, because they are full of water vapor, which also holds onto heat, kind of acts as an insulating blanket and it doesn't allow all of the heat to reradiate back out into space, and it keeps the temperature on average a little bit warmer overnight, and so your tomatoes don't get frost bite.
Speaker 4: That's why the coastal towns are so temperate.
Speaker 3: Right exactly exactly, clear night, you're going to probably get a frost because that he's going to just go back out and you know the daytime heating is going to reradiate back out in space. Yeah, you're exactly right. Coastal regions are a lot more temperate because of the water, whereas inland areas are a little bit have a little wider variation in those temperatures because there don't have the sort of that insulation of the water being close by. So to me, what's happening is if we get this two way, it's kind of a three part problem in my opinion, and I'm not a climatologist, so I'm just going to say what and from a from a physics point of view, what I see happening. You've got, you know, you get this heat coming in. You have an extra CO two in the atmosphere because we don't have Now, the vegetation is going away because we're you know, we're cutting down trees and we're clear cutting things for agriculture, which we've got to have to feed more people. And so if you get rid of plants and you pay Paradise to put up parking lot, what you do is you run out of the things that are going to help get that CO two out of the atmosphere. Then what that does is then you change the ability of the surfaces to absorb and release heat. Because you know, plants are good at absorbing heat and they kind of hang on to it. Whereas you get metallic surfaces in concrete and cities change the weather, they do they have their own sort of heat sink around them. You know, if you've ever been close to a brick building at night, you can feel the heat coming off the bricks. Right then you had the next pieces or the last piece of the puzzle to me is when you start heating up the oceans, you melt ice. Ice reflects light better than liquid water. That's why when you go outside on a snowy day and it's sunny, very bright outside, because snow and ice reflect light back into space. So if you lose that ability to reflect back some of the solar energy, now you're absorbing even more of it into the ocean. And so you you know, exacerbated the problem even more. So those pieces to me or what me is responsible or are responsible for what we're seeing in this more extreme weather patterns. Now, there will be people say that, well, this is a long term cycle that the Earth is goes through, and yet there are these very long term you know, ten thousand years, one hundred thousand year. I think they're called millan COVID cycles. I can't remember exactly because again I'm not a climate scientist. But the if you look at data from like a union of concerned scientist, you see that there's this overall upward trend that cannot be explained away by these long term, natural occurring cycles. So, you know, I like data. I tend to believe what the data says, and so I'm like, that's that's that's there, that there's a problem. And so if you've got this extra heat, one of the things that it's going to do is it's going to create you know, unpredictable or sometimes maybe predictable, but you know, how do you deal with changes in the weather, So bigger hurricanes, longer hurricane season, a bigger tornade, know, you know, the more dramatic bomb cyclones that we're seeing now. I think maybe either are all the results of this additional heat that we can't we can't just explain that away in my.
Speaker 2: Opinion, right, and this whole union of concerned scientists talk about that. I would just pulled up an article about heat waves and climate change and what science tells us about extreme heat events which we're heading into again for this summer, and they do keep getting longer and more intense, and you just explain beautifully why. Now I'm curious about how in terms of magic or.
Speaker 4: Rain making, I mean, can we help this?
Speaker 3: Well? Okay, so I'm gonna I have a lady who I adore. Her name is Dorothy Morrison, and she's an author of many many mini witch books, and she is sort of my hashtag itch goals, and she would do these workshops on how to use magic in your day to day life to get things done. And I remember very clearly there was a woman who said, you know, my husband started remodeling my kitchen and he won't finish it, and what magic do I need to do to get him to see that? From Texas? And she has a very Southern accent like I do, and she said, oh, honey, you don't need to do magic for that. You need to hire that done and charge his credit card. And I immediately fell in love with her in that instant. But there are things that we could do magically, but there are things we could do as you know, pagan communities or which communities or whatever. I go to so many events where there's no recycling, and I'm like, you're an outdoor event. We're supposed to be in earth based religion. Where's the recycling. Then I realized that it may seem like recycling is not is just a drop in the bucket, And it is, but it's better than no drops in the bucket. We can we can vote with our dollars. We can try to choose companies who promote greener practices. We can try to be greener ourselves. I mean, you know, we are I live in the south, there is very little public transportation, but you know, my boyfriend lives in town. We try to walk instead of drive, you know, the two blocks where is. So there are small things that we can do that are not magical, but they are earth centered, which you know, we we have to quep. One of the things that I get really irritated about is people treat this planet like it's a truck stops on the rate that are great beyond right. They see this as just, oh, this is just a temporary place. I don't really need to take care of it, and you do, and it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gets trashed for that reason. And you can always tell where humans have been because they leave trash, right.
Speaker 3: And so those are not necessarily magical things you can do, but they are mindful things you can do. Now in terms of magical practices, I mean, you know, we can try to just work for To me, when I do magic for something like this, I don't try to say I want to change the heating of the ocean. I want to change the mindset and the energy of the people that I can impact. And then it's like that old was it the Dominoes commercial that you tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and then they tell two friends. If I can affect change in my immediate community to be more mindful, right, if I can ask for that in the universe, then maybe those people can spread those little ripples on out. Are there magic spells and things that you can do? Yeah, but I've tried to say my magical practices for things that are within my immediate route.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense. Well, right, let's talk a lot a little bit about clouds. You so, say, for example, you're in an airplane and there's so much more turbulence than airplanes these days. What types of clouds should you be looking out for if you're flying? Or okay, are these extreme heat events?
Speaker 3: That's a very good that's a very good question. You know, when you get the what clouds the clouds you need to look for that you're going to know there's going to be turbulents or ones that we say have vertical development. So those are your cumula form clouds, your puppy clouds, like the clouds already draws and you tell them draw a cloud, right, those are called cumulus clouds, and they aren't considered a cloud with vertical development, because for them to be able to grow into like a cumulonimbus, which is the thunderstorm it, you have to have instability, a lost and you have to have rising air. And rising air with instability equals turbulence. So if you see, like if you fly close to a big thunderstorm, one of the things you can look for is very often those have those flat anble that sort of classic I don't whine gesturing with my hand, i'f I, but I'm doing that. They have that flat anvil top. But if they are a very strong storm with a lot of upward convection like the boiling of a pot is convection, like the upward moving of the air, they will have what's called an overshoot, which kind of looks like cauliflower tops on these flat anvils. If they have that, that means there's a lot of upward convection which can lead to more turbulence. So you see that a lot in these really big super cells that you get over sort of the great planes and Oklahoma. You know, I lived in Oklahoma for thirteen years, and I saw a lot of these really huge, massive thunderstorms. Maybe to have these sort of bubbly cauliflower overshooting tops, and those storms are the ones that are the most likely to become planatic. Really, so yeah, because what that means is there's a lot of vertical lift and it creates wind shear, which wind shehre is where you have two layers of air that are kind of moving at different speeds going over the top of each other. And what that does is that can create a role. Imagine like, well, we don't have big fat phone books anymore because they were the first example of this, But if you take a really thick book and you push on the top cover of it, it's going to kind of go, it's going to kind of lean a little bit. Oh, that's the shears. That's the shear. So you're pushing on that top layer and it's moving more than the layers beneath it, and so that creates that tilt. Well, imagine doing that with like water or air. That's going to cause that stuff to start to roll and you're going to get this burt this horizontal sort of rolling effect. Which then if you get a lot of uplift in your storm, that's going to kick that roll up and it's going to create rotation in the storm. So, uh, that's kind of a long explanation.
Speaker 4: No, I love this. This is great.
Speaker 2: So you could identify the clouds and if you're if you're in an airplane, or if you're looking up in the sky and you see the cauliflower type of clouds, you can expect wind to come with that right right.
Speaker 3: In storms, Yeah, it's the top especially it's the tops of these storms. The other thing you can look for in storms like that are in in in thunderstorm clouds, look for water called mammatis clouds. Mammatis clouds are named because they look like mammary glands. They look like, you know, utters on a cow breast. What are the little pouchy forms that form out in front of this cloud. They almost look like a bubble wrap in a way, you know, because there's these little pouches that form out in front of the storm. And what that means is there's a lot of turbulence and instability aloft in that storm. Again, that means a lot of uplift. Uplift can often lead to rotation, which then can be a tornado, a pop storm, or at least a storm that has the potential of a form a tornado. So that's another thing you can look for.
Speaker 2: There's so much when it comes to our weather and our sky and all the events that are happening. I'm in California and the wind event that happened here was close to one hundred mile an hour winds, which that ignited the Palisades and the Eton area. It was just impossible to prevent at the time because the winds were carrying the embers so fast and so far. But I had heard on the radio that morning. I was driving and it was earlier in the morning, and the meteorologists were on the air saying, this is going to be a stronger wind event that you've ever seen before. You can tell by the hot air and the cold air meeting and the clouds. And so there was cold air coming from the sierra the mountains, and then the hot air was coming from the valley and you could see the clouds rising up into the air with that puffy cauliflower top that they were dark right, So it was I guess there was a perfect storm happening out there. But meteorologists could tell this was going to be an eighty to ninety mile an hour wind. It was completely predictable.
Speaker 3: Right, well, because what they can do now is we It's something called the Cape index, which is getting WILLI like data? You know, I'm a data walk when it comes to meteorology. The Tape index is a measure of the instability. So it's a measure of what they were probably looking at, is that instability. Now, what happened with y'all is that air. You know, you had very cold air and you had very warm air. They were both dry air mashes, and that's why they create because what they did is not only were they carrying the embers, they were drying out the vegetation because they had no humidity in them.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more