Speaker 1: Ms secker.
Speaker 2: By. We will see you.
Speaker 3: Tis the gunner.
Speaker 2: Welcome to hang out, Peter. Okay, let's talk about the La Angels. No, yes, time, dude.
Speaker 3: We do this every single year, Jack, You and I we play general manager for the Los Angeles Angels and we go in after we look at their roster, we look at what they can do, and we think the world of them and what did they do? Every single year? This is the episode that I was dreading the most. With that said, they looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: They look great. So that's why we're knocking it out as the third team as the GM series Just Baseball Show, Jack Peter. Today is Thursday, November thirty one, No December.
Speaker 3: One, December one, my birthdays and few days my birthdays and two days. Thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Happy early birthday? Chief, damn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we have an episode. We have an episode on Friday, so save it. Save it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Fine, all right, Jack Peter. Two days before Peter's birthday, we're talking about the La Angels Today. You're in Santa Barbara. I'm in Indy New Pad with the brick wall. The brick wall is not going to be the background. I've got I Okay, adult move here. Indianapolis and New York rent are two very different things. While you are amped to live in a studio by yourself, I was just in a studio by myself. I was like, I wouldn't mind more space because I can't just rip the bodega and like go have fun every night. Sometimes I need to be a hermit. And I was like, you know what, time for a one bedroom? So I moved into a one bedroom. How about that.
Speaker 3: I'm very proud of you. I wish the brick background could be your background because, as many people know, the brick background for me kind of changed baseball media.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then you decided to abandon it with two portraits from our guy Kyle Taylor, who I think is still commissioning the burly one for me. So I'm really excited to see that thing. But I will not be keeping the brick. You had red brick. I've got yellow brick. If it was red brick, I would really think about it. Yellow brick. I'm kind of opposed, but that's the deal. That's enough to core. I promise we're going to have some fun prints in the back and all that. But let's talk about the La Angels here, because the Angels for the unteenth year in a row, were just in utter disappointment. There was nothing going on there when we thought there was everything going on. Here, you have Mike Trout and Sho Hao Tani. Trout again an abbreviated masterpiece. He doesn't play a full one sixty two.
Speaker 3: If he did, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, he's probably running away with ALMVP. He's probably smashing a record that Aaron Judge doesn't. But here we are talking about what could have been season for Mike Trout. Sho Hao Tani was arguably as good. He was a better pitcher than he was when he won the MVP in twenty twenty one. Everything else went to absolute shit.
Speaker 3: I think you're so right about them being probably the most disappointing team in baseball, not just because they have Mike Trout and sho Heo Toni on the same team, a sentence that you and I will utter for the next forty five minutes again and again and again, because those two still are the best players in baseball. Get their judge, Mookie whatever. I'm not here to debate that right now. What I am here to do is to debate whether the Angels can actually make it over the hump because the Astros finished one hundred and six and fifty six, the Mariners finished nineteen and seventy two last year, and the Angels finished seventy three and eighty nine. But in May, this Angels team was competing with the Astros and everything looked really good, and then injuries just hit this team. You mentioned Mike Trout, I mean there was injuries to the starting rotation too, you know. But what some exciting things like Redebtmers came up after kind of struggling initially but kind of showed that he can be a definite mainstay in this rotation. They made some nice additions to the bullpen, you know. They got Aaron Loup after that amazing season with the New York Mets, but he did not replicate his success in Queens when he moved over to Anaheim or Los Angeles. He had a three eight four ERA compared to like a one something ERA over there in New York. They signed Ryan Tepera, who was five for them. I thought he was decent. I mean, he had a three six twenty ARRA. It was nothing to parade over. And they traded Rossie Iglesias, which was a guy that they signed for a big deal, and then they ended up trading and for Jesse Chavez and Tucker Davidson. Tucker Davidson in front of the pod mean a few starts for the Angels and possibly could be someone that they look at in the rotation next year. But overall, just to summarize, it was incredibly disappointing because it's one thing, Jack, It's one thing for you to go in and to expect to win sixty five seventy games. It's another thing to come into the season expecting to win ninety and winning seventy three. That's almost worse because it's the expectations. It's the fall from grace, it's the it's just the disappointment. And let's get sucked back in. Ah, dude, I hate this. We're gonna get sucked back in because their roster looks great. It looks good.
Speaker 2: Let's make it great. And I will say that injuries hampered them, right, Anthony Rendon had fewer than two hundred played appearances. That's a big omission. But I have been a denier of Anthony Rendon for a little bit. The guy's gonna make thirty seven million dollars this year. And you look at the payrolls in twenty twenty three, and the Angels are already near the top. They've got about one hundred and forty five million dollars committed before arbitration and before you factor in the pre arm deals as well. So this team is gonna be flirting with the luxury tax if they do nothing in free agency. I don't know how the Angels feel about the luxury tax. I don't think they paid the luxury tax this year. There were six teams that paid the luxury tax. Anaheim was not one of them. I don't think they're afraid of it. They're an LA team. They've got Mike Trout and Sho Hail Tani. If there's one year to go over the luxury tax, this is probably the year to do it. And you have show Hey for what he's giving you on an incredibly raw deal. This guy's making less than twenty million dollars, but you've got about seventy million dollars, maybe over seventy million dollars committed to Anthony Rendon and Mike Trout. You feel good about the Trout. You don't feel that good about Rendon right now, But do you think we're having a different conversation on July fourth. Do you think we're sitting here watching the fireworks, having a libation and saying, you know what, Anthony Rendon has been kicking ass this year.
Speaker 3: I think it's just if he stays healthy. I mean, I hate to put it that plainly, but when he's on the field and healthy, he looks awesome. When he's not, he's not. It's it's it's wide or black with him, and almost seems like there's no gray area.
Speaker 2: So what I will say, And I know that he was dealing with some nagging injuries while he was playing this year, but he slugged three eighty when he was on the field, which.
Speaker 3: Is but nagging injuries, don't I don't. I don't put that on him like I don't think, Oh, Anthony Rendon now is just dropped off the face of a cliff and is going to slug four hundred next year if he is fully healthy. I expect top five, top ten at least production from the third base position. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. I think he was hampered by injuries. I really do. But it's not even just ren Dome that we're talking about here who had a step back. How about Jared Walsh, a guy who we put in our top ten first baseman moving into the year. That same Jared Walsh that in twenty twenty one had an eight forty nine OPS with twenty nine bombs and thirty four doubles. Last year six forty three OPS with fifteen bombs in eighteen doubles. Granted, I mean he didn't have the same number of vet bats. He only played one hundred and eighteen games compared to one hundred and forty four and twenty twenty one. But he was expected to be an important left handed bat, which the Angels really need, and he bare gave them anything last year. And I dove into him trying to figure out what happened. There's not a lot of statistics that I can point to to say, Okay, if he fixes that, he'll be better. I really think it was just a down year. I mean, I remember in twenty twenty one, this dude crushed sliders, crushed fastballs. Five run value against the fastball, nine run value against the slider. Both of those were in the negative. Like, it's just an enormous drop off from production, and what can we say, like, I think he'll bounce back. You think, because you see the talent, why can't he? But I don't know. That's why there's so many things up in the air. But I look at it. You know, the preseason Angels look as good as anybody.
Speaker 2: Again, and here we are with the preseason Angels, so you assume health. And my thing about assuming health with the Angels, they they got very unhealthy, very quickly, and even at the end of year. Right you saw Mickey Moniac cry when he got hurt near the end of the year. And Mickey Moniac was, you know, the guy that came over straight up for Noah Cindergart at the deadline when Cindergaard went to Philly and Moniac he was showing flashes of not being one to one, but showing flashes of being a serviceable major league outfielder, and then all of a sudden, injuries just cut his season short and he was so frustrated. I think that was the frustration with a lot of guys with the Angels. So I'm not forecasting injuries. Let's just forecast bad luck for the Angels because they've had bad luck on the position player health front in recent years. So where's your contingency plan. Let's look at Anthony Rendon. Where's the contingency plan? It's actually great. Two minor leaguers. One guy that was previously DF eight I think came or were sent away for Giovanni Orshella. So Urshella is now the backup third baseman slash third baseman. Roster resource at Fangrafts has him as the starting shortstop. We got to fix that right now. But Urshella as a backup plan to Anthony ren Doon feels really good. And as a brackup third baseman shortstop. I like having Adele and Moniac as the fourth and fifth outfielders. When you've got Taylor Warden left, Mike trouton center, and Hunter Renfro acquired via trade in right, obviously Otani's your DH, and then you loop around the rest of the field. You've got Logan o'happy and Max Stassy as your catchers. I feel great about that tandem. And then here you are with Renhifo at second and Jared Walsh first, with David Fletcher waiting in the wings. We'll start with the hitters and then we'll get to the pitching. Here, where are the sure fire. They are in the lineup all year long if they're healthy.
Speaker 3: They have Mike Trout and Shoho Tani in the same lineup. Joe Otdi is going to be the d and that he's gonna step on the mound and be a top ten five, don't care where you rank him pitcher, one of the best pitchers in all of baseball. You'd assume that Luis ren Hifo will be the second basement, and he deserves to be the second basement. He doesn't walk. He hit a two ninety four on base percentage last year, but he slugged four twenty nine. He's a solid player. I think he's solid. He had seventeen bombs. Maybe solid is even a bit much, but he's your second basement and he should be. Taylor Ward. There is no reason why he shouldn't play left No absolutely no reason at all. Had it over an eight hundred ops twenty three bombs. He's a twenty nine year old who was a previous first rounder like this guy should be the left fielder. He earned it. If Anthony Rendon is healthy, We're gonna say this again seventy thousand fucking times on this podcast. If Anthony Rendon is healthy. He is your third baseman. Hunter Renfro the newly acquired They gave up what Jansen junk in that trade of his poguero, Adam Seminaris. I don't even know how to pronounce that name. I don't really know who that is, quite honestly with you. Jared Walsh is gonna play first base, and Logan o Hoppy is gonna play catcher, like that's your starting eight, and then it's all about who's gonna play shortstop? And Geo Orchella. I watched him play shortstop on the New York Yankees. He can at least feel the position. If the Angels want to work on pitching and starting pitching and their bullpen, and then their bench looks great. Like that's the problem with the Angels. They don't have major holes throughout their lineup, except you could say shortstop. But am I excited for Hunter Renfro and right, not really? Am I really excited for Luis Renhifo at second base? Not particularly? Am I crazy hyped? Am I expecting a huge bounce back from Jared Walsh? I don't know? And then Logan o'happy. The great thing is he is a great prospect and you have Max Stassy, So I'm confident in the catching position as a whole. But am I confident in a real first year catcher at twenty three years old, not part particularly, So there is the problem here. It's not like like there's no holes, but it's there's not a lot of stuff jumping at me. But it's good.
Speaker 2: So via trade hunter Renfro is the right fielder. I do believe he's the right fielder and he should be the position. I I say there's nothing to be done catching wise, because you've got a newly extended mac statsy and one of the best catching prospects in baseball and maybe the breakout prospect in twenty twenty two not named Danny Rodriguez is Logan o hoppy, So I do feel good about that tandem. I don't think they're going to add to that tandem at all.
Speaker 3: My thing they should They definitely shouldn't. That's yea Dassi could be good on his own, if Logana could be good on his own and pulls at Jared Kelnick like, but I mean.
Speaker 2: Using those two is a ninety game seventy game, you know, like share or one hundred and sixty in favor of Ohapi. I feel really good about that. I mean too, they need to get better at short I think that's really the only spot. Maybe sign a backup first, Baseman. I want to start there. I want to throw out some really small names that could benefit from being like behind Jared Walsh, or maybe if Otani needs a day off once in a blue moon, might I recommend a Luke Voight recently non tendered, Like that's a power bat off the bench.
Speaker 3: I love that idea, not only because I think Luke Voight is somehow becoming kind of underrated. I think he got shipped off to Washington. I don't think there was a lot of reasons too for him to be motivated. And then if you put him in a lineup here where you can platoon him Jared Walsh against righty's Voight against lefties, that feels a lot better. The only issue is show he O Tani plays d H so.
Speaker 2: You're gonna force.
Speaker 3: You're going to force Voight to play first, and then you don't have Walsh in the lineup, which could be a good thing. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, other names that could jump out, how about like a Yuli Guriel is he gonna is Are they gonna be priced out of him as a platoon first baseman. He's thirty eight years old.
Speaker 3: I'd rather have Luke Voight. I think Luke Voight makes more sense there than Yuli Gurriel does. I think Juli Gurriel is going to go somewhere where he can be the first baseman. And I don't know if Guryel, at this point in his career, at thirty eight years old, is still trying to win. I wouldn't put it past him, But I also wouldn't put it past him to just take a bag with Voight. You know, he wants to compete. I'm assuming I think he would take a little bit less in order to get put on the Angels in a good spot where they're gonna use him correctly, rather than a Yuli Guriel where it feels like Gurriya would go to whoever gives him the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Last one that I want to throw you Trey Mancini.
Speaker 3: Again, Hm, I just I want to see what the open market thinks of Mancini, because Mancini was good on the Orioles before going over to the Houston Astros, and then he didn't really get much of a shot. I mean he did kind of, but he never really performed with the Astros either. I'm very curious to see if the market goes back to his Orioles days rather than thinking of him as a platoon because he still is a good player, and I think a team is going to want to sign him to be their full time starter rather than being a platoon guy. Also, Mancini could play the outfield a little bit. Angels kind of backed up on outfielders at the moment, so I like Void. I think the first name that you brought up is the best one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Void is undoubtedly the cheapest option. And you're right, they are backed up out field wise because they do have Adele and Moniac as the fourth and fifth outfielder. One of them is going to be in Salt Lake, which is kind of brutal.
Speaker 3: Who would you put in Salt Lake?
Speaker 2: I guess Adele.
Speaker 3: I guess Adele, but I feel like it should be Montiac that I agree with you. I guess it's Adele. I know, Alwa, he's so talented. Oak went first overall.
Speaker 2: Okay, now the big question are they in play for a top four shortstop?
Speaker 3: Not with the needs that they have at other places. You just said to yourself, they're on the brinks of the luxury tax. I mean, if they want to pay, they want to have a two hundred and fifty two hundred and seventy million dollar payroll. Sure, I just there's no indications that that's the case. I mean, we have the pucketbook. We're playing general manager with the Los Angeles Angels, and they're there's a shortstop that I want to throw at you. Who I think would be relatively cheap. It's a reunion. I don't or I don't know if we're thinking about the same guy not anymore. Jose Glacias. Okay, so I would I would sign Jose Glacias.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I would sign Elvis Andrews.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're on the same That was the second name that I was going to bring up. The reason why I like kind of the Jose Glacias reunion there is I still think that he's a good defensive player, while Andrews like, I don't know if they need his bat as much. I mean, they still could use his bat. I like either or hmmm, I think.
Speaker 2: Remember you got Fletcher on the bench too.
Speaker 3: I mean, who cares who cares.
Speaker 2: But like he can also play a little short and give an old guy some breaks. And that's why I feel okay with Andrews.
Speaker 3: He can't play short stop. David Fletcher played shortstop no way this year? I know, but no way, Like that can't be. I'm not saying he can't. I'm just saying he can't. Like, no way, David Fletcher is going to be taking reps at short for the Angels. They can't do that. I'd rather put her Shalla there. You can't hint.
Speaker 2: David Fletcher finished seventeenth in al MVP voting in twenty twenty. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Congrats, That is awesome, and that's why he has a cult following. And probably Angels fans are like, stop disrespecting David Fletcher. And I'm just like, sorry, do you want to win or do you want like, do you want a clown show?
Speaker 2: Listen, arm and I disrespected Nick Madrigal yesterday, so we're disrespecting David Fletcher today. That's just how that works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we don't have a short bias. We think Ozel too is Hall of Famer. Yeah, and we like the short pictures, so Droman.
Speaker 2: Lighter all right, Andrews, Andrews or Iglesias.
Speaker 3: Who's going to be cheaper, because I don't see much of a difference there. I want to sign whoever is cheaper because I want to add big names to the starting rotation. And I want a bunch of bullpen guys because.
Speaker 2: I Glasias is two years younger.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's sign Andrews to a one year deal. You think you take a one year because I think Aglacy is going to be two or three.
Speaker 2: I think Andrews takes a one year deal.
Speaker 3: Let's sign Andrews then, because I want to spend Yeah, I want to spend as least money as possible on the shortstop position because they Orchella can play shortstop, so if you're gonna kind of use both of them at the same time. I kind of wish Elvis Andrews hit left handed, but whatever, like a short stop platoon. I think that's hilarious. But like with this day and age in baseball. Also, one more thing about Jared Walste while I'm on the subject of left you righty. I think the shift is going to be big for him getting rid of it because he was crushed by the shift last year and he's always been crushed by the shift. He's a guy who, you know, he's not necessarily pull happy, but I've noticed that, Like one of the things I noticed, like when he's pull happy, I mean, he crushes balls, but when he's trying to, you know, shoot the ball the other way, if he's trying to hit the ball to the center field, much like, it looks prettier, but it's not resulting in success. He's kind of just a pull happy guy. And if you if you disavow the shift, that I think will at least tick up his production a little bit. So that's just on the Jared Walsh front, but still just a couple more seconds on the shortstop front. Give me Andrews because they still have zach netto like, when is he coming up? Is he going to be a factor this year at all? No? No, no.
Speaker 2: If if everything goes according to plan, maybe at the very end of the year. But you got to get to the very end.
Speaker 3: Of the year, and that's if everything goes well. So we're just going to assume he's not the bank on it.
Speaker 2: So I do like Andrews on a one year deal for that reason, and if it goes really well, sign him to another one year deal and have Neto takeover midway through if Andrews isn't cunning.
Speaker 3: It Like, we kind of got roast for the Gene Cigar reunion thing because I guess there was a fight, which I do kind of remember, but I didn't know that there was like some disacreemance between management. I didn't know he called people out, So that was my fault. I remembered the fight, didn't think it was that big of a deal. And then with Jose Glaci, it's like sometimes a reunion doesn't happen, so that could be somewhere where it's like, yeah, he ain't coming back, so yeah, give me Andrews. That makes sense. He's been on the West Coast. He played in Oakland. Yeah, I like, I like Andrews.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me Elvis Andrews Revenge series in Oakland Electric all right, like.
Speaker 3: A Wednesday at one.
Speaker 2: Easy and there's there's four hundred people there, all right. So the additions that we made offensively are Luke Voight as a bench slash platoon first baseman and Elvis Andrews on a one year deal. I feel decent about that that lineup.
Speaker 3: We're kind on a roll.
Speaker 2: We're kind of on a roll here, and we're not being too crazy. We're talking about a guy that was non tendered and a guy that was released last year, so I feel like we're being fair. Here's how the starting rotation shakes out right now, sho hal Tani's the one. Tyler Anderson. They just signed thirty three year old at time of opening day, Tyler Anderson three years, thirty nine million dollars. I like it deal it is. You know, he wasn't the best lefty on the market. Rodin was. After that, things get a little shaky on the free agent market, and Anderson was a great lefty to grab. But Patrick Sandoval is also left handed. Jose Suarez is also left handed. Reed Detmers is also left handed. I want another right handed starting pitcher. Oh, by the way, Tucker Davidson is left handed as well, and he's the six as it stands right now. I want a right handed pitcher that can be the two or the three. Oh, Tani's the one. I don't feel great about the Angels contending for the Al West. If Tyler Anderson is the two, I would like if Anderson was the three. So can we go after a righty two.
Speaker 3: Can I also say that I think Anderson's the four. I don't know how good all he's going to be with the Angels. I like Sandoval, I do. I think Sandoval will be a better pitcher than Tyler Anderson will next year.
Speaker 2: I like Debt Meres too. I'm not saying I like Detmers more than I like Tyler Anderson, but Debtmers and figuring out the slider at the end of the year. I do think that they have four legitimately good starters here. And Jose Suarez is a guy that you know can be factored out, can be a multi inning reliever. So let's go after a relatively big name in the right handed starting pitching department.
Speaker 3: You in, you know who I want on the Angels, Jacob de Gram Jesus can't do that? Why not? Why not? He's already We're not spending anything else. Shut up, seriously, though, the angel are competing right now, right now, how much longer are you gonna have Otani? You're gonna waste all of trout If you are going to spend money, why not, Jacob motherfucking d Grom. And the great thing about the Angels is they have starting pitching depth. If dea Gram has an injury here or there, they're not gonna fall flat on their faces unless Trout and then Otani and Walsh and Rento and they all get injured. That it's all for nothing anyway. But this feels like a move that could come out of nowhere. Right the Angels say we're gonna offer you a four year deal worth one hundred and eighty million dollars or something like that, maybe four years, two hundred. They put all their eggs in the Jacob de Gram basket. Kind of seems like an Angel's deal anyway. And you put to Gram next to Otani and then you have Sandaval. That's the righty. I mean, we could go on some their names and make this team very solid, or we can open up the check book and say let's win now, let's win now. Are we gonna beat the Ashros? I don't know, but de Gram gives us a really good shot if everyone stays healthy. Yeah, it's easy for me to tell you that the Angels will be good with Jacob Gram. Every team would be good with Jacob de Gram. But if we're not spending on any of the shortstops, we're not buying anything else. We're gonna buy some low relievers, and the Angels have a big payroll. Anyway, some guys are off the books. Justin Nepton is gone, a lot of other guy's gone. Why not go get Jacob de Gram?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my only pushback is durability. I have no idea how durable de Gram is. Obviously when he's when he's on the mound, he's the best pitcher on the planet. But in an organization where fragility was king, and fragility has been king for a long time, guys have not been reliably on the field. Might I point you to a guy that has been reliably on the field for the entirety of his near two decade career. Except for Tommy John, I think Justin Verlander is a little bit better of a fit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean yeah, I mean I'll go, I'll take Orlander like that.
Speaker 2: Sure, I think you're guaranteed one hundred and seventy one hundred and eighty innings from Verlander, and you're not guaranteed that from de Gram at any point in his career. I don't believe the human body can sustain one hundred and three mile an hour darts one hundred times a game.
Speaker 3: That's how crazy Verlinder is. He's forty.
Speaker 2: We're like, yeah, forty, three years, one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, yes, sure, I have nothing wrong with that. Of course, it's exactly what I want. It's the same conversation time Ace the Mega.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, if Otani's the two, I'm putting like, I don't I'm not allowed to bet on baseball. I will go under any avenue possible to bet on the Angels to win the World Series. Off Shoeotani's the two.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do it again. We're gonna bet on their overtime. Quite how much money I've lost in this overwind total it's been like four years running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Now here's running, Jack, I'm not having a good time. I get it.
Speaker 2: It's an identical conversation to gram Orlander. We just had the conversation real quick. If they don't get either of those two guys, who are the other pitchers on the market that jump out to you? And the reason that we're not pitching trades right now is I think because they just don't have any capital to trade from. They're gonna hold on in that though they're obviously holding on to a HOPI there's not much else on the farm right now. We talked about the outfield surplus. You could flip a Dell for somebody, but what Dell gonna get you. I think there are better options on a free agent market right now if they don't go and get de Gram or Verlander. I'm not the biggest fan of Chris Bascid. I really don't think that he's due for immense success right now. My eyes gravitate towards Nate Yvaldi. My eyes also gravitate towards Jamison tai On. I would feel a little bit better with Yvaldi, but I think both those guys could be solid options as threes.
Speaker 3: The name that I was going to bring up, you haven't mentioned him yet, and I'm actually surprised you didn't. West Coast they already have Otani. What about CODEI senga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that also works that.
Speaker 3: I mean that that picture right there makes a lot of sense to me. It's been really good over there in Japan, just dominant. He's up to a hundred. He's got that split, a vintage splitter, but he's got like three other pitches. I mean it's it's hard to get a lot of you know, video on this guy. But the video I've seen, like he looks like the real deal. I just don't think he's going to come over and be an ace. And I don't even know if he's gonna come over and be it two. So that's why, like, I like him a lot. I think he makes a lot of sense on this team. But it's just are we trying to put them over the top. Like, if we're trying to put them over the top, it's probably either Verlin or de Grom. Because I agree with you like Bassett is good, I don't think like Bassett is the piece here. You know, you got Michael Waka, who you could do on a short term deal again, You got EVOLDI, you got guys like Ross Stripling, you got Taiwan Walker. If you want ty On, I mean it gets a little thin after that. So for me, the two pitchers that I wanted to bring to the table for you today was Jacob de Gram and Code I send. But I love the Verlinder take. I just want a dog. I don't want Waka. Even the Waka could be fine, Stripling could be fine. I want a snarling dog on the Angels A one a dominant figure.
Speaker 2: Have you seen any like contract prediction that makes sense for Senga? I've seen the very beginning of free agency. I saw seven for one fifty five, which is what Tanaka did, and then I saw things like four for sixty, and those are two totally different numbers and years. I don't know like and and I'm not even gonna try and guess, because I'm not gonna pretend that I've watched a whole year of Code I Senga. I've watched the highlights that are available on YouTube. I've read write ups of Code Singa, and that's about it. I have no idea how to value his market. Is it a Seyasuzuki market? Are we gonna see five years ninety? I think five years ninety makes a lot of sense. But seven for one fifty five for a guy that you have no idea how he's gonna perform, I don't think it makes much sense. So that's the that's the frustrating thing. It's my favorite thing about international free agency. It's my favorite thing about the NBA Draft and grabbing a Porzingis or grabbing a Luka Dancic what the fuck are you gonna get? I have no idea. That's fun with code is Sanga because you could get Tanaki, you could get Darvish. You could also get Kohey Arija. I've got no idea. It sounds more like Tanaka and Darvish than ari Hara. But you just have no idea.
Speaker 3: So have no idea.
Speaker 2: That's the worry for me when we've been on this team like they're gonna be great and then they fucking suck every year. So I want somebody that I'm gonna put If I'm Perrymanassio, I'm putting my head on the pillow saying I've got Jacob fucking.
Speaker 3: De Gram on this team.
Speaker 2: I've got Jason Erlander on this team. So I feel a lot better about somebody that has, you know, a seven to shit if you're signing Verlander, like eighteen year major league career under.
Speaker 3: Their belt, exactly, I think with kode I Sanga, think about it. Kevin Gosman, Robbie Ray, these guys were five years one ten, five years one hundred, Like, are you giving quote I Sanga more than that? I'm not. Robbie Ray won the cy young. Kevin Gosman looked amazing with San Francisco and then looked amazing again with Toronto. Are you giving code I sing a more than that? No, you can't. You can't.
Speaker 2: But like one two with nasty offspeed.
Speaker 3: You know he's gonna come over like Tanaka. Do you remember Tanaka? I feel like I heard reports that he was ninety eight and then he comes over he's ninety one. Like, I don't know if these guys are one hundred and two. I bet Senga is gonna be ninety four to ninety six teams.
Speaker 2: So the rumor around NBA teams was they were and like we saw it with the utah Jas, like trying to just sell every piece in order to create the best odds in the twenty twenty three draft, because that's when wehen Banyama is coming over. Teams were were looking at the twenty twenty three draft like four years ago, like Hey, there's this kid, Victor Wembanyama who's gonna be insane. I feel like that's what teams are gonna do, Like they're going to clear the payroll for Roki Sasaki in twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: That's the dude, that's the dude.
Speaker 2: It's like it's Caleb Williams. Like, do the Colts want to suck this year to get Bryce Young or do they want to really suck next year to get Caleb Williams. I think the answer is the latter. So I'm not saying, like, hey, let's plan for twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 3: But is it that far? I thought it was like twenty twenty five ish.
Speaker 2: Don't think he's gonna get posted until like maybe twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I have known, but it's in a while. It's a while. It's not something to worry about on December first of twenty two. Need to Yeah, ship, you're right, so here here we go. Yeah, here we go. I think we signed Verlander because I want to add to this bullpen. And if we signed to Gram we have no money left.
Speaker 2: But right?
Speaker 3: Or do we just sign to Grom because it's Grom but money left too? Have you seen the Grom pitch? Yeah?
Speaker 2: He's really good, pretty good.
Speaker 3: He'd be good on the Angels. Do you think this is so hard?
Speaker 2: Okay, they don't need any more starting pitching. I don't want to. I don't want to, don't want anybody. What what did we just signed Verlander two three for one thirty five.
Speaker 3: Oh oh that hurts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, what did Schureser got three for one thirty yeah?
Speaker 3: One two or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So like Verlander, he's gonna pull the Lindor shit, Like I need one more million dollars than Sureser because I just won the fucking Scion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he deserves it.
Speaker 2: All right, So we just gave Verlander that we're done in the starting rotation.
Speaker 3: Let's find bullpen pieces.
Speaker 2: And like, you can't go sign a closer now because you just signed Justin Verlander, even though they might.
Speaker 3: Need a closer.
Speaker 2: Who's their closer slotted in right now? Jimmy Hrget. That sucks, loop, Like, I love Jimmy Hrget, but he can't It was fine, but he can't be the closer. Yeah, but what does closer even mean anymore major League Baseball? The closer means you got huge nuts, and I'm not sure Jimmy Hurgant is huge nuts.
Speaker 3: Have you seen Jimmy Hurget's nuts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well no, I've seen his slaughter. I haven't seen his nuts. I gotta see his nuts. That's the thing, Jimmy Hrget, If you want to shoot me, at Twitter. DM don't post that because it'll like pick up and go viral. But if you do want to send me like a nut gauge, I'll decide if you're a closer or not.
Speaker 3: All right now that we're done with his nuts, they have lefties, they have loop, and they have Kihata, so it's not like, oh, we absolutely need add a lefty like we had to with the Mariners, so we can be kind of creative here. So like right now, and you definitely should go check out just Baseball dot com because we have every article under the sun. And right now I'm scrolling through our best relievers available and a guy with closer experience who is a righty who I think makes sense if Herget's nuts aren't big enough, which I'm not saying that they aren't. And this article is written by our guy, Lego Morgenstern, who is an absolute dog Leo. If you're listening to this, love you. What about David Robertson, Yeah, is he going to be that expensive?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Thirty eight. So we're bringing in two just old bags to pitch. But like I kind of like both of them, Like David Robertson can still be a guy. He had a two four zero e er last year. You probably didn't know that. You probably didn't know he also had twenty saves. He also probably didn't know they had eight blund saves. But you know that's gonna happen. A lot of the peripherals don't love him, but they've never loved him, and the you know, if you look at stuff plus by mister Enosaris, I don't think he's gonna love David Robertson either. But David Robertson gets out and he's still getting outs, and he has that closer experience, and he was just in the playoffs. I think signing David roberts into a one year deal makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 4: Let's sign two or three MM two or three two signed two, and I want Tommy Kinley on the Angels.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Cainlee was a name that I was thinking about. The Other name that I was thinking about was Chad Green.
Speaker 3: No, Yankees are resigning Jad Green? No, yeah, we could. We can put them on the Angels, I mean yeah. Or Michael Fulmer.
Speaker 2: Loom Fulmer might be a bit expensive because you're buying high on Fulmer. He just had a good year.
Speaker 3: Pretty good year three three nine y r N sixty three innings year.
Speaker 2: But Chad Green like didn't have a year, you know what I mean? And Kainlee didn't really have a year. So you've got a chance to buy low if you broke the bank on Verlander.
Speaker 3: I kind of think Kailee's going to be cheaper than Green.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably, but I don't think Chad Green is going to be that expensive. So I how about two of the three Robertson, Green Kainley.
Speaker 3: You have to sign Robertson. That has to be a guy that you signed, so that has to be one of them. And I think we flip a coin between Kaylee and Green. I would sign with Kainlee because I think he's going to be slightly cheaper and the upside is better with him. I think what you gave.
Speaker 2: Me Andrews and Verlander, I'm in.
Speaker 3: On Kainley Kainlee. Okay, all right? How much is Cainlee worth five bucks.
Speaker 2: One year.
Speaker 3: Or three million? Okay? Three and a half?
Speaker 2: Three point five three?
Speaker 3: What is Robertson worth one year? Nine twenty.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding, I'm kidding, like six seven.
Speaker 3: Seven and a half.
Speaker 2: God, that's a lot of more like this number adds up quickly in the Angels. I know tax, So okay, don't Oh fuck, Anthony Rendell.
Speaker 3: Let's go over I know Rendo. God damn it. Let's go over the Let's go over what we just spent. So the Angel's payroll is at one hundred and forty six million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: The luxury tax Tier one of the luxury tax is two hundred and thirty million dollars this year. This is also year, Yeah, this past year. What did it move?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not sure. I think it's isn't it the average? It's some confidence.
Speaker 3: People can get mad at us on Twitter. Sorry, I think it's two thirty. That's the parameters that we're going.
Speaker 2: We'll call it two thirty one five plus forty five for Verlin.
Speaker 3: Forty five a year. Oh my, oh yeah, you're right, because that's what three years divided by one thirty five is. That is insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy, but we're doing it. We're Andrews is making.
Speaker 3: Six ten, eight eight nine.
Speaker 2: All right, that's two hundred yeah, two hundred plus two point five for Luke Voight.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 2: You just got no tender dude.
Speaker 3: Led the league a hole runs in that short season. The same season David Fletcher was the MVP.
Speaker 2: Three two oh three.
Speaker 3: Now Robertson, Robertson is.
Speaker 2: Six.
Speaker 3: You said seven and a half seven? All right?
Speaker 2: Shit, alright? Ten plus four for Canley. That's three fifteen plus all the arbitration. They'll pay the luxury tax like they're gonna be over two thirty. It's two fourteen before arbitration. But do you care? This is your last chance with Sho hail Tani because he's a free agent after this year.
Speaker 3: If you are the Angels, do you think that paying the luxury tax this year is worth it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Me too, I mean no, like honestly no, because they're not competing with the Astros, and let we know what's gonna happen with them.
Speaker 2: All you gotta do is get in. Look at the Phillies.
Speaker 3: I know that's all you gotta do is get in. But at the same time, have you seen the Al East. A lot of teams are still pretty good over there. The Orioles are only turning up. The Blue Che's are still gonna be good, Yankees are still gonna be good, Raids are still gonna be good. Guardians are still gonna be good. White Sox are gonna suck, So that's good. Right, Wake up, this is the toughest one. This is going to be the hardest, most painful episode we record until we do top ten. Second basemen and people send us death threats about the fourth versus the fifth second.
Speaker 2: Basis fine, that's fine. I'm better with death threats than I am trying to stay under the luxury tax.
Speaker 3: That's a good quote. That'll be all the quote cards though. Probably that's fine.
Speaker 2: I yeah, it's worth going over that two thirty mark. It is because you're gonna spend the next couple decades saying what if? But exactly, this whole era of Angels baseball has been what if.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm dealing with.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tani's gonna say four one hundred, now three fifty, like three.
Speaker 3: Hundred and fifty million dollars a year, but then going to command eighty.
Speaker 2: Because you did this with fucking Anthony Rendon. You can't pay Otani that.
Speaker 3: How's that working? Bro?
Speaker 2: If I was an Angels fan, I would hate Anthony Rendel, but he could be so good, he could be great. I know you're so hamstrung financially because of that, dude.
Speaker 3: I know it's thirty seven million dollars. He's out thirty seven million because everybody that we just signed is on a one year deal except for Lander. Yes, we have to sign Lander.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do it, do it. I'm I'm in. I'm fully in on this, I'm fully in on paying the luxury tax.
Speaker 3: Okay. So this is now their lineup with all of the deals that we signed. Renhifo's at second trouts and center, Otani's at DH wards and left, Rendome's at third. Renfrozen right. We have a Walsh Voight platoon which is kind of fire. We have Geo Orchella, Elvis Andrews at short, and then we have a Logan Hoppy Max Dassy catcher thing.
Speaker 2: With Adele on the bench.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Ren frozen right, Okay, Otani and Verlin are at the top of the rotation. Awesome. Then you have Sandoval Anderson Detmers. That's awesome. That is awesome. Then in the bullpen, you got her Hurget's nuts, you got Tapera, you got Loop, you got Kinley, you got David Robertson, you have Bria, you have Kihata, and then you have some other guys. But then it's like no, That's what I was about to say, is like swingman, if anybody gets hurt, you have Suarez and and Davidson. That's a good team. It's a good ass team. And sil Seth that's probably is that better than the Mariners on paper?
Speaker 2: But it's always on page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it doesn't matter. The Mariner's just gonna win more games, damn it. Yeah, I think we did well.
Speaker 2: I got to figure out a way to weather this storm. I'm not gonna make it through the twenty twenty three season with the Angels, me neither.
Speaker 3: But we got through it.
Speaker 2: Dude, If Elvis Andrews signs with the La Angels, I'm getting a jersey. I'm buying one.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be a fire jersey. It's fire a Verlinder Angel jersey. I'll buy that one.
Speaker 2: Actually, a void Verlander. I would get a void Verlander. Maybe you tell me Kinley Angels.
Speaker 3: All right, we're done. Look at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sweet hat. They're all at my old apartment. I got to get that, especially because I'm in dire need of a haircut.
Speaker 3: For all those on audio who can't see my hat, First of all, thank you for listening, if you wouldn't mind give us a five star review. Let us know in the reviews if you're listening Apple podcasts, who you want to hear next. On our twitters, we've been pulling and looky here. We gave about four teams and you guys voted for the Angels. You wanted this, you got it and it hurt our soul. Back to the merch conversation. My hat Just Baseball Merch still live in our merch store. We got hats left, a lot of things are selling out. We're almost sold out of some sizes. Because we want to thank all of you for using the code dinger to get twenty percent off your Just Baseball merch. Unfortunately that code is now done. We sold a bunch of stuff, so thank you all forgetting your merch rate and review. Thank you very much. We'll be back on Friday. So basically, for all the listeners, what we're going to be doing for the next however many weeks. We are going to do Playing General Manager episodes three days a week, so you'll hear Jack and I, you'll hear arm and Jack, and you'll hear Arm and I. And then on Friday we do a week in baseball. If nothing happens like the we're going to talk about the Clevenger deal, We're going to talk about Josea bray You signing, We're going to talk about any rumors that we're hearing. So that's what you'll normally hear on Friday with the three of us.
Speaker 2: And with that, thank you everybody.