Speaker 1: I guess this one struck such a chord with me because as a person of color, specifically like an African American, I know that existing in my bones is a you know, ever present artifact that my way of life was destroyed and there is no going back to it, my god, not just mine. And I think, I think it's just you're just we're just more acute to it rather than like sort of like European history, because y'all's history got flattened so much into being y'all just white people's, then.
Speaker 2: You forget that you were tribal.
Speaker 1: Also say like y'all was just as tribal as we were, and your way of life got flattened multiple times by the Romans. Naga Yo said, I think of Native Americans, you know, I think of Central and South Americans, you know what I'm saying, and even with yeah, well not even with them, but Central and South Americans, you know, at the and Cortes andem touchdown, you know, or or the ones in you know, USA proper, like when then when that mayflower touched down on the East coast, you know, obviously there It's not like there hadn't been Europeans before then, you know, but that doesn't demark like.
Speaker 2: The end of.
Speaker 1: A world, like a world is about to die, you know, metaphorically speaking. And if you could get up high enough, like at a high enough vantage point to look down at you know, a timeline where you can look at the movement of time from a vantage point where you can see all these different plot points, but also high enough to see different locations, like what's happening on one side of the Atlantic and the other side of the Atlantic. Like stay with me at this metaphor, Like if you were standing at the at the North Pole, you know, and then you're following the lines of latitude. Those are the vertical ones, right, no longitude, those are the vertical ones, because latitude is moving lateral anyway. I don't know, maybe either way those lines Like if we're standing at the pole, you're all the lines at the equator, like meet all the lines across the equator, meet at the pole. Don't get lost in this metaphor. The point I'm trying to say is if you had an omniscient view, you know, where you can see everything. If if a native you know, American first nation person could see it all and be like, yo, that was the moment. That was the moment where the line was crossed, and it was the beginning of the end. Where are this land as we know it is now done? I just think that that that sits inside of me in a way that maybe I'm a poet. Maybe it's because I do have a politics, so I'm maybe because I'm part of cool Zone Media, which, as you know, we're we're always looking into the brinks of destruction. Are all of our shows are about the event horizon before you go into the black hole yokes, but also the possibility of coming out of the black hole, which you know or literally speaking a possible, but we're saying like, Okay, there's also possible life at the end of this or through this, or there are things that we can do and say to at least mitigate some of the harm that we're all experiencing. For me, I'm gonna get real transparent with you because it's a bonus episode. Obviously, when I was coming to iHeart, my first hope was to be over there on the Black Effect Network. You know what I'm saying, Like, come on, Charlotte Mane to God like you act like I didn't listen to the same radio shows. You know what I'm saying, Like I wanted to in some ways be mentored by Charlomagne.
Speaker 2: You feel me.
Speaker 1: I mean, in a lot of ways, he's doing what I would hope to do, you know, And I hope hears this, you know what I'm saying. And my manager, you know, presented my show to the network, and who knows what happened behind closed doors. I mean, I don't know. Maybe people are protecting my feelings. Maybe he passed, maybe he didn't, Maybe he never got the email, maybe his people never showed him.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I was at the same time, I was always I was obviously connected to Robert and Sophie, and we had already built a rapport. And when Sophie was like, y'all we're building a network at that point, it was like, Yo, this is a no brainer.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I know what y'all were trying to build, you know, And I had just finished, you know, writing the Terrorform book, and the idea of what cool Zone was about to become was exactly what I meant by Terraform. It's about imagining a better future living, you know, building a livable world and for me hood politics, which may have started off as something like just kind of fun and quirky. Ultimately, I think as I got you know, g checked a few times by some actual gangsters, you know what I mean, and also like as I thought through really what I.
Speaker 2: Wanted to do, I really, I really do.
Speaker 1: Hope that this this show softly puts its arm around people who look and talk and sound and come from areas like I do you know what I'm saying look like me? You know, basically I'm saying colored folks, you know what I'm saying, Like who you know may either really really really been outside or just lived on the streets where niggas was outside, whatever the case may be, for us to like look into that abyss and be like, hey, man, I know you understand, I know you feel it, but let's look at what it is and just remember that like we are the possibility that we can possibly we understand. We understand this world better than we're given credit for. Anyway, I wanted to share this poem as a bonus for this last show. We just did a lot of times Black people really ain't moved by climate change, which I talked about in the in the episode. But anyway, part of why I do is because I feel like and as much as sort of mourning, pain and suffering that came from us losing our way of life. We ain't lose Earth, Nigga. I don't know if y'all get it. We're finna lose Earth. No, no, no, let me say this better, earthinna lose us ain't gonna be our Fault's poems called at the Brink of Extinction. On the brink of extinction, your awareness of urgency finally finds a focus. You see no point in being angry at the past, and the future ain't got you in its plans. All there is is this now, just a couple more nows. You notice a sweet taste that now has which has eluded.
Speaker 2: You the whole time.
Speaker 1: On the brink of extinction, your definition of family stretches, priorities find their final form. Your palate becomes refined and childlike, a somalie of fine whiskeys, fried food, corn syrup, and pain. And the best cup of anything you've ever had is.
Speaker 2: To warn in your hand.
Speaker 1: On the brink of extinction, the songs are your fore mothers, which once produced the most dizzying of eye rolls take center stage and receive their lifetime Achievement awards. You remember that they have been a warm blanket and a north star the whole time.
Speaker 2: You empty your draft folder.
Speaker 1: Not on some sort of scorched earth, because that's what got us here in the first place. Nah, it's a massive deletion, because who needs.
Speaker 2: Luggage in paradise.
Speaker 1: At the brink of extinction, forgiveness feels as involuntary as breathing, and all inner mirroal b feels silly. Why would I spend my last moments fighting with me? You turn into an anthropologist. Your conservation season is behind you. Activism is for those with younger needs. I have already enjoyed my low dropping. I have backed that bang up enough. On the brink of extinction, loneliness finds the strangest source of comfort and reflection, regret and reimagining. On the brink of extinction, your concern to have a yard sale. You decide which is worthy of being reserved for your loved ones. What can be thrown away? What is heirloom and heritage? What is heresy and hearsay? On the brink of extinction, you embrace the ever climbing, spiraling circle. Soon you are going to become all that follows you become what is taken.
Speaker 2: You finally see clearly.
Speaker 1: Nuanced and conundrum and mourning and celebration exist in the same place. At the same time your sense of wonder, humor, and curiosity explodes. You have been forced to be a silver lining hunter, comforter and mascot last of an ancestor too, the choice of yours and yours alone? What is valuable enough to pass on? To survey the wreckage of your own destruction, salvage what the devastation left in its wake, quickly and forcibly develop wisdom. You may or may not be ready for mourn alone and inspire together, direct and console, release and reinvest, Prepare, and perpetuate. Because procreation is clearly out the question. Because some outside force, some heartless, colonial, imperialistic parasite concerned only with its own posterity, pushed you to the break of extinction, you are made to let go of what was and embrace what will be. Yeah, like I told you in the episode the Fuck Around and find Out, motif isn't a graph as much as it's a cliff.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what it's gonna take for us to wake up. I just fear that we.
Speaker 1: Ain't gonna wake up until our heads hit the rock on the bottom of that cliff.
Speaker 2: Hood politics, y'all,