Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Dugout Dad's podcast.
Speaker 2: It's the very first episode.
Speaker 3: We're calling it the Daniel Fisher Show featuring Dugout.
Speaker 2: That is not true. This is all of our dugout Dads. I am Daniel Fishle.
Speaker 4: You are Patrick and the dugout Dad.
Speaker 2: You are the dugout Dad, the one and only Patrick run at you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I wanted to start talking about.
Speaker 3: Just to get out ahead of this because I just want to. We're saying it's the Daniel Official Show because she is so much better than I am at this, so she is hosting my podcast.
Speaker 2: That is That is not true. I am not better at this.
Speaker 3: Like literally, when you just say things Kyle can attest to this, We're like, yeah, she just it's so much better. Because I would take six takes. I'd go was that good?
Speaker 4: How was that?
Speaker 3: Give me a sec I'd go check my hair, I'd stress out it's fine.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: I didn't expect to find that I was less vain than you in this process, but I've discovered that.
Speaker 3: I'm more nervous van like I'm like, you know, neurotic, vain neurotic.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's true, You're yeah, let's go with more neurotic. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. I wanted to as someone who has uh really leaned into the Boy Meets World universe over the last four years of doing the podcast pod Meets World.
Speaker 3: I love the universe, by the way, like them like the universe, the Boy Means World universe exactly. And then I saw someone all bomb that this isn't part of the Sandlot universe, and I was like, I've never heard the Sandlot universe universe.
Speaker 1: I like this, And I guess some could say is it a part of the same universe or no?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Would you it's a multiverse. It's a definitely a multiverse. It's you know, somewhere on another.
Speaker 2: The Dugout Dads is the Miles Morales.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, that turned out.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites right hands down.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay. Can you tell people what is Dugout Dads? Is it a spinoff? Is it a reboot? Is it?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: It's actually like that one Spider Man who's like Chubby that s dug out.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's a forty years.
Speaker 4: Eating a little too much.
Speaker 3: He's still Spider Man, but you know he's lost a step or two. No, dugout Dad's is a completely original concept. And basically I coached my son's little league team for it was actually not little league, it was pony ball for a couple of years, and I stopped coaching when I realized he actually needed a real coach that knew.
Speaker 4: What he was talking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm like six to eight, I can you know, starfish throw it like that, you know, choke up.
Speaker 4: I'm good.
Speaker 3: But then they start actually needing coaching, and I went, I'm going to take a step back here, so I became just a parent. But through that whole experience, I saw how much, how seriously I took it. And I wasn't one of the people that end up on social media, you know, getting kicked out of a game or doing crazy stuff. But you know, I'd be lying if I said I didn't you didn't do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So one my kid made it to the championship game, my oldest, and it had been this epic season.
Speaker 2: Congratulations by the way.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, And then he lost in the championship game, and the parents in the bleachers we were like kicking over coolers and hugging each other and trying on each other's shoulders, and we were so sad.
Speaker 4: Uh, they were never going to see each other again. This is terrible.
Speaker 3: It was just so dramatic. But they were wonderful people. But then I looked out into the outfield and my son and his steammates are playing tag five seconds after.
Speaker 4: They lost the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's already behind them.
Speaker 3: Couldn't care less, and I went, this has to be a show this, you know, it's such a funny idea, you know, the parents wanting taking it so seriously, wanting to win so bad, and the kids not really caring. So I and I have a production company now him you know, media and my business partner Kyle.
Speaker 4: Howard, who we've been friends and you know for a long.
Speaker 3: Time, we are developing things and you know, we had this on the back burner because they're like, this is a funny idea, but something didn't quite mix. And then I went and did an appearance with the other Sandlot guys, which we do a couple of year together, and it's always so special when we're all together, you know. And I came back from that appearance and walked into the office the next Monday and is at Kyle remember dug out dads. Yeah, that show idea, but the Sandlock guys are the dads, and we went that's the show. And it's just sort of fallen into place with everyone and we've gotten we have these, you know, Sebastian Jones and Dan Copleman. Sebastian wrote on Friends, not Seinfeld, as we made that mistake, He wrote on Friends, Dan Cobleman did Malcolm in the Middle. They just took it on, created a writer's room, wrote it. It's so funny. Victor Nelly jumped on to direct. He's been just directing for years. Got the incredible director of photography, Michael Price, and just like got this camera team. It looks like, you know, a big budget movie thanks to them and just everywhere we've turned. Victoria Fradkin is another producer with Kyle and I. She's you know, been in the YouTube world a lot and horror. Yeah you know this.
Speaker 2: Is not horrible slasher, so we haven't gotten that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're killing me smalls to a whole new level. But it just you know, and then even yourself, like people that have jumped on board and made it what it is has been so special. I still my voice. Let's get out ahead, of this too. I had twelve pages of dialogue. I've never had that much.
Speaker 4: Of my life.
Speaker 2: We wrapped several weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I still and I still have you still a sore voice box. Okay, so it's not puberty. My voice just will cracked throughout this post.
Speaker 2: He thinks you donth protest too much.
Speaker 1: I've heard this story about twelve pages a day for a few weeks.
Speaker 4: You know what fixes it? Coffee?
Speaker 1: That is what I've heard. To stay hydrated with coffee will make it better. Okay, other similarity to share, it's not No, it's.
Speaker 4: Not Samlott universe.
Speaker 3: It's its own original concept, which I'm happy about because I don't want to compete with Samlott.
Speaker 4: People have always asked me, do you want to do a sequel?
Speaker 3: Would you do a Cobra Kai And honestly, my first answer is no, unless Sean Levy directed it. You know which, fun fact, Kyle Howard and I started Sean Leavey's career.
Speaker 4: That's right, Sean Levy.
Speaker 3: I'm going out on a limon saying, wow, we did we did his first movie. He's done pretty good. Since I don't know that you know we helped in any of that. But I like to say we started Sean Leevey's career address unknown, this little feature we did together. That's where Kyle and I met, uh and it was out in Utah and.
Speaker 1: We've been so you started Shawn Levy's career, and he started your friendship.
Speaker 3: He started our friendship. But I will not do a Sandlot sequel unless someone like that is the one ensuring that doesn't suck, because you're like, I don't want to blow this for everyone totally like we you know, they we'll have three generations come up to us and say, you've been in our living room for thirty years. That means so much to us, you know, And Shauncey says it really, it's not lost on us.
Speaker 4: We're humbled.
Speaker 3: It's like people ask if it bothers you, Like, how could that bother you?
Speaker 4: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Such a beautiful gift to have been given, to be a part of so many people's core memories.
Speaker 3: So exactly, and we just I wanted to make something new. It's a fresh idea, but it's with my brothers from thirty years ago, and that makes it even more special.
Speaker 2: Well, people may notice that we have an empty.
Speaker 4: Chair here that's going to be filled by all, it.
Speaker 1: Will be filled every episode with a new cast member teammate. Some might say from dug Out Dads that we will get to talk to and interview and hear their thoughts and see what they're up to now, and hear their experience with dug Out Dads. Another similarity that we share is that there is one very important person from.
Speaker 4: Sandlot, boy who met the world.
Speaker 1: Right, the boy who met the world in the Sandlot universe is not a part.
Speaker 2: Of Dugout Dads.
Speaker 4: That's true, and.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to give you the opportunity because I'm sure you've been asked a million times on social media.
Speaker 3: Bellswinger, Ellswinger has nothing to do with the Dugout Dad's universe.
Speaker 4: Oh was it not? If you know who Elswinger is.
Speaker 3: You are a true Sandlot I'm sorry, you're talking about Benny the Jet.
Speaker 2: I am sorry. Yeah, Well, do you want to once and for.
Speaker 1: All address I want to address the elephant that's not in the room exactly.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, I don't even have an answer. I like, you know, I see the comments on social and I like to, you know, answer some funny some funny responses once in a while, But I don't. You'd have to ask him there. I will say, there's nothing contentious about Mike Vitar. You know, the man started out as a child to hear over and everyone and became a real life hero.
Speaker 4: Like he's a firefighter.
Speaker 3: He was a firefighter in the town that I live in La So I saw him a lot. A lot of the guys have seen him. Marty Yorke, that son of a gun, got his Dodger jersey completed and went and saw him at his firehouse and got him to sign it. He didn't bring ours with him. We'll talk about that when Marty's on the.
Speaker 2: Show, okay.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so he from what I've gathered is he's just a private dude now and he just you know, we all email him, he responds unless he's fighting a fire. He fought the Palisade fires. Like the last time I checked in, I asked him, Hey, do you want to do a cameo in this? He said, dude, you know, I'm just kind of a private guy. And we chatted about the Palisade fires and like his you know that experience and stuff. So he's a cool dude. I don't see him often. I know the guys don't see him often. But yeah, he's just not in it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't that he wasn't asked no.
Speaker 3: We asked him a lot, we you know, not too much. You know, over the years, I've asked him a few times to do things. He's always politely said no, and you know, he's just he's not in it.
Speaker 4: So season two is going to be about finding a new third Basement.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Andre Ethier was at the Dodger Stadium with us yesterday. He's in the running for the new Benny as a pretty good Benny.
Speaker 4: He's a little taller, okay, but it works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we're going to go on the hunt for the new the new Benny, the Jet third basement.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: But we're going only major League Baseball or ex major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I've got some suggestions. Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: Justin Turner is in the running. Okay, good, but he's still playing.
Speaker 2: And he's still playing. He's in Mexico.
Speaker 4: Come on. He said he would have done it too, but he's busy.
Speaker 2: Gosh, he's so great. Okay, I'm more everyone.
Speaker 1: You certainly did, and I'm happy to hear it because I also think it's really important even for fans to know it is the appropriate thing to do to respect someone's choice to not be a public figure anymore.
Speaker 2: It is not for the faint of heart.
Speaker 1: Everything has its pros, everything has its cons and for him, currently he has chosen to stay away from leading a public life, and there's nothing wrong with that. So as I think fans will be happy to know it's not contentious that you guys still talk and text occasionally, but he will not be a part of dugout Dads.
Speaker 2: Let's move on to something more.
Speaker 4: Let's stay on this, but let's stand.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about something more funky. Production disasters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, can we talk about a few of the production disasters.
Speaker 4: We had some disaster.
Speaker 1: It was only a seven day shoot, and you guys did twelve pages a day, which sounds if you're not familiar with the way TV and movies work, maybe sounds like, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: It's a lot, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of things, four to six in a budge of movies.
Speaker 4: Honesty. Did one page exactly? Sure?
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure?
Speaker 4: One page a week with some days off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we did twelve pages a day.
Speaker 4: It was insanity.
Speaker 3: Again, I always play, you know, the ham porter that not the lead, the comedic relief, some one liner, some singers. You know, I have never had to learn as many lines as I had. And like, you know, I say this in another episode that you'll see after this, but Tom Griy and I kind of swapped roles a little bit. Like he plays Commissioner Biggs. That was his choice in name.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: And he's kind of a jerk in it, and.
Speaker 3: You know, not a jerk, but just tough and you know, a little ham porttery and I play this sort of straight man, you know. Scottie Small's like out of his league, you know, type of guy. So twelve pages was crazy. We had the fire department on set at our field twice in one day. The first time was for a little health scare with someone they ended up okay, and then the second time.
Speaker 4: I'll get into it.
Speaker 3: But the fact that Mike Vitar I know we're not going on Benny. But the fact that we didn't get Benny the jet Actually as a firefighter, we had fifty fire trucks. Nothing was our fault. By the way, we had fifty fire trucks and not one of them was his unit.
Speaker 1: I honestly, once you saw all those fire trucks pull up, did you actually think, oh, this is how we could get it, this is what we could do.
Speaker 4: The sick part of that, Yeah, that's those are called thoughts.
Speaker 2: We pushed those out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did shoot at a gorgeous field high in the mountains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like Angela's crest, like super.
Speaker 2: Private, very private.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: Well, now that you've told.
Speaker 4: Them where, well, Angela's crest is very big.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay it could be you know, on the way passaiting side.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's true, that's true. But it was also very dusty, so.
Speaker 4: Very We love you guys.
Speaker 2: How why did.
Speaker 1: The fire trucks show up the next night? Can you can you tell everyone this? Because I wasn't here for this night, so I.
Speaker 3: Was on the phone because after a twelve hour day, I would then run my lines the next day with Kyle for two hours.
Speaker 4: But on this particularly night, I was like, dude, I'm done camp, so tired. Do it in the morning.
Speaker 3: So I leave and we're on kind of like a production call, and then Kyle goes, holy shit, the field's on fire.
Speaker 4: I gotta go and hangs up on me, and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh yes, oh okay, And I did nine one one holds and fire department holds like, we do need to give them more money because that's scary when you're an emergency and they don't have enough people to answer the phone and it's not on them, Like no, we got to figure that out because with the health scare, I'm on hold, waiting, waiting, three four minutes. The fire department. I'm on hold three four minutes. The guy came on, are you calling about the Angela's Crest thing? We're already on the way, but it was so Kyle called, and it was behind our there's field too, and that was our main field, which we had to production design and banners and all sorts of stuff. It wasn't around houses. I don't want to sound insensitive because I'm like worried about my you know, fears, but there were houses up really high on a hill. But also in my head, I'm like, dude, these guys think we did this right. And a neighbor did, like he was like pissed at us, and I'm like, dude, it wasn't us. There were these kids shooting off model rockets and I've always thought to myself because I shoot off model rockets with my son and I'm like, are these a fire hazard?
Speaker 4: And now I know they are.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are.
Speaker 3: So these three kids, I'm like, I want to like send them a thank you card because they were so honorable about it, and they stuck around and they said, we did this. It was an accident, which helped saved our ass because the police came and saw them, like, you know, a big production. Everyone hates productions in La. They're ready to be there with the lawnmower and blame everything on you. So they started a fire and it was pretty massive, like yeah, it was half an acre big and it's Angela's Crest.
Speaker 4: Try La.
Speaker 3: This could start like forget our show.
Speaker 2: This could be half of the production.
Speaker 4: Was this?
Speaker 3: This was night three, Night three of seven. Yes, so we had already shot two days. We have two more on the field. I'm like, we're toast. Anyway, Kyle calls me back and goes, dude, I think we're okay. They got it out and I'm like, everyone's okay. I asked that question. I said, great, how's the field?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he said, honestly, oddly enough, it burned this gully that was down below, so the cannibal trees, you can't even see it, and oh thank god.
Speaker 4: We hang up. I'm gonna go to bed.
Speaker 3: I get a text five minutes later from Victoria and she goes, guys, we.
Speaker 4: Got a problem. Oh my gosh, said I know.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, bab to my wife. I got to go to the field and she's like, I don't know. She's like, what's wrong. I'm like, I think it's burning down because I'm thinking, you know, my biggest fear was we got it out, but guess what, Jess kidding, we didn't, because that's what happens on fires.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although side.
Speaker 3: Point, it's amazing what these firefighters do. They they would circle over in helicopters for days. They send the forestry unit in to make sure they're digging. Like the amount of manpower that goes into stopping it thing negative, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Another reason they need money.
Speaker 3: Another reason they need money. So Victoria hangs up. We got a problem. Victor the director and I are freaking out. We drive Finally I got her on the phone. Ten minutes later She's like no. I was like, is it gone and said no, no, no. The neighbor came over thinking we started it got a little feisty, pushed, the shoved the commissioner.
Speaker 4: Of the league. The actual was a sweetheart.
Speaker 3: Of a guy, and he got feisty with us, saying he's gonna shut us down and stuff had nothing to do with us. They chilled out. I don't think any nothing sort of happened from that. I think everyone chilled out and got cool about it. Yeah, and I understand the neighbor. You don't want your house to burn down, like that's everything.
Speaker 1: It also seems very coincidental that a huge production rolls in and then a fire starts exactly.
Speaker 4: But luckily the kids stuck around.
Speaker 3: It was also around fourth of July, so yeah, a lot of fireworks, a lot of this stuff. But it was terrifying. I mean, I had never I couldn't believe it. I was worried filming in Angeli's Crest about oh what if there's a forest fire and then we actually have a fire on baseball field of all places?
Speaker 4: It right, just too much?
Speaker 1: Do you have that sounds that's obviously a production disaster. Can you talk about a production highlight? What was your favorite day on set?
Speaker 3: I mean, I was so stressed out yeah, and Brandon and Shauncey saw me in my worst moment.
Speaker 4: It was day three.
Speaker 3: It was day three day we had the health thing we had, We weren't making our day. It was just that it was a full moon, and like, I don't believe in this stuff, like that's that's woo stuff like my hih s's, you know, all that stuff. The full moon. I guess it's called strawberry moon. The moment it's the fullest was like seven to fifty nine pm on that day and the fire started.
Speaker 4: I kid you not at.
Speaker 3: Seven fifty nine pm. I'm starting to be a believer. Okay, all right, But a production highlight, I think when it was over, just because I was like, we did it, We did it.
Speaker 4: It was very hard for me to enjoy.
Speaker 3: I think season two, should we be lucky enough to do that, will be so much more enjoyable for me because it won't be as much work and I'll like make it more of a meal of it and hopefully have more money to do this. You know, this was a labor of love for us, and you know, we we got some investment money and we got some amazing brands that came in to fund it. But you know it was we were funding it along the way, We were you know, overspending along the way, We were doing all sorts of things, you know, So I yeah, I guess I'll say though, the one scene that we were all in the baseball field at the end, and there's a fun reason that we're on the baseball field, the adults we have a little game we have to play.
Speaker 4: I think that was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, throwing throwing the ball around with me at catcher and everyone in their positions from the sandlot. We just you know, a little Easter egg for it. Yeah, I think that was really special. Just the stuff with all the guys was probably the most special for me, and I could.
Speaker 4: Enjoy it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, it was very special to be a part of it, I can tell you first hand. And it was very nice the last day when to see you give thanks to the unbelievable crew that you had who you know, was able to put this labor of love together for you and with you, and then to hear the response back people who have been doing this.
Speaker 2: For longer than we have, even longer than we.
Speaker 1: Have, and we've been doing it for decades to say this is one of the best sets I've ever been on, and it's one of the most fun I've ever had on a set. I know that people watching are going to feel all of that because chemistry is not something you can fake it is it, Well, you can fake it, but it's palpable when it's real.
Speaker 2: You can really tell when it's real. And so I know that everyone.
Speaker 1: Watching, we know you know, they liked each other, they were in love. You can feel it. It's very similar. We are very much like the Notebook. That's right, Yeah, I am your every day Ryan Gossa exactly.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: In fun fact, back to the writers, one of the things that they said that they loved so much about working on this was the short form structure of it. Obviously, the intention is to make this into a full length series, you know, twenty two minutes. I kind of liken it to Silicon Valley. Feels like that kind of single camera broad comedy. So I would eventually love to do that. But for this particular one, we made three to six minute episodes, and the writers it was so rewarded.
Speaker 4: The reason too, they came on. It was so rewarding for them.
Speaker 3: They said to write something that they immediately see get creative.
Speaker 4: Like, this whole experience was so fast.
Speaker 3: We had the idea, we loved it, the writers wrote it, we got everyone on board.
Speaker 4: We filmed it a couple weeks later.
Speaker 3: I really wanted to film it around the fourth of July because if Sandlot is known for a season, it's fourth of July. So that was a really special part of it. And you know so yeah, So the episodes are you know, three to five to seven minutes long, and the way we developed it is it's kind of the preseason. So the series starts with if you're a coach, you know Evel's and the draft, you draft these kids, which you know it happens.
Speaker 4: That's to make the team's fair.
Speaker 3: And then what happens is it all all the practicing leads up to opening day.
Speaker 4: So our show is kind of the preseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dugout Dads is the preseason.
Speaker 3: This is the preseason, and it's a short form content. It'll probably be the last short form should we go on to make it, which I'm sure we will. We'll make you know, twenty two to thirty minute episodes and it will probably go season by season. But this little fun nine episode three to five minutes is the pre season of Dugout Dads.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it was really fun to do. I've never done short form and talking about how fast it went. You called me, I think in may to ask me to do this. I do still want to know how many people you called before you go to me?
Speaker 4: Literally zero?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one said to us so great.
Speaker 2: There's a good reason for that.
Speaker 1: It was really was like you could tell on set everybody was happy to be.
Speaker 4: Ryan Gosling said no, but yeah.
Speaker 2: You asked him to play you me.
Speaker 4: I was just like, go for it, like he was busy. He didn't say no.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a hard no right, it was just not right now if you can push the shoot and I said no, no, no, Ryan, we cannot.
Speaker 2: Not even for you.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Uh So I know that watchers viewers are going to feel all that same chemistry and all that same fun that having you guys all together did, So we encourage you. Please check out Dugout Dads. Also continue to listen to the Dugout Dads podcast. This chair will not be empty forever. As a matter of last time, it will be filled sooner than you can say next episode.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining bye.
Speaker 4: Thank you for watching.
Speaker 3: As I am not the host of this podcast, I am leaving the important stuff to the actual host, Danielle Official.
Speaker 1: You can stream Dugout Dads on Patrick Renner's YouTube channel, which is at Patrick Renner starting August twenty sixth.
Speaker 2: We hope to see you that