Speaker 1: But when I'm worried that that like right off camera, there's like towering stuff, like everything that you've bought off of infomercials and like the boo boos and that that that one false move and it's gonna collapse and we're gonna have to like call an ambulance to get you out.
Speaker 2: This is my audition for hoarders, and this is that's my gifting closet. Everyone has some structural thing where it's just a bunch of crap and you're like, I'm gonna give I'm gonna like a hand this off to like the next person who comes to my house, and like I feel like should leave with something.
Speaker 1: Amen. I wish, I wish I had a gifting closet. If I take one thing from this, it's that I need a gifting closet. Welcome to Snafoo, your favorite podcast about history's greatest screw ups, or more precisely, what those spends tacular face plants reveal about us, the idiotic humans who just keep making them. I'm your host at Helms, and my guest today is a prolific actor, comedian, writer, and podcast host. You may know him as Fanny in the sensation that is Wicked.
Speaker 2: You may not or.
Speaker 3: You may not, or perhaps you know him as the co host of one of the most popular podcasts that has ever existed, Las Culturistas, or maybe you've seen him as the adorable mood Dang on SNL, among many other beloved characters.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Snafu Bowen yang Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that I had to go. I immediately cut in because I feel like I'm one of the few characters in the Wicked films who is not ever named, like my Like, it's not the Bechdel test, but there must be another like film sort of rubric where it's like, well, if the character's not named, it's like if it's like an under five, it's like there's an existential sort of like lane that the kind of role exists in.
Speaker 1: But you had a name in the credits. I did, but you're not actually named in the dialogue of the movie.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying and not going to? Yeah, because there's an ongoing debate as to how the name is even pronounced. Oh, we shot it in the UK and it was it was just Fanny there means pussy, and it just it just kind of became a whole people were just giggling, chortling. I'm sorry, it's the UK. They were chortling on set. This is a character that is that is suffused with like unseeriousness in every way, which is great. Like I as a as A as two comedians, I think we understand this.
Speaker 1: I saw and loved the movie Wicked. I didn't know your character's name and had to look at it.
Speaker 2: There you go, so you so when you say you know you may know him as Fanny, I had to chortle myself. Have you guys talked about the etymology of the word snafu. I've always been curious. Do you know anything about where this word rich? Yeah, like well absolutely, yeah, okay, oh, it's a great word. So it's in fact, it's not a word at all. It's an acronym. It's it stands for situation normal, all fucked up. It's a military.
Speaker 1: Acronym and it basically just means when like everything is everything's going wrong, which is you know a lot of times in war and the soldiers in World War two, uh just started using snaffoo. And then it's it's close relative sibling. I might even say, is fubar fubar.
Speaker 2: I know fubar, Yeah, but snafu really is really kind of like folds into like I don't know the English language quite well fo bars. Fubar is unwieldy and it feels shoehorned in if you try to use it in a sense, or it feels very like early aughts.
Speaker 1: Snafu is like worked into the lexicon. We just say like, ah, what a terrible snafoo, and we get it. We all know what that is.
Speaker 2: Are you a video game person?
Speaker 1: I'm not. I kind of wish I was, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's okay, Yeah, there's some there's a video game called Chance of SNAr, but it's so stylized and super cool and really simple and cheap. It's just you like going up a tower, not unlike the Tower of Babble, where you are just translating different languages that are like made up and fictional to this universe. But you are kind of just like joining together these different languages with different syntaxes and different structures, and it all kind of I think as a history buff you would like this as someone who understands fundamentally that language limits our relational capacity for whatever anything. Yes, between human beings. It is. I think this is the right game for you.
Speaker 1: This is so interesting because as you're describing it, I'm thinking, like, this sounds so cool and interesting and amazing and also not at all what I think of as gaming, right exactly, And you're so right, by the way, because how often have you befriended someone for whom English is a second language, or tried to befriend someone where you can kind of speak their language, felt like you're not getting your full self across.
Speaker 2: All the time. Basically, all of my family except my parents and my sister are in China, and anytime we're together, especially recently, they're just like, hey, You're like, people think you're funny in America. I'm like, well, not everybody, but I was like, but they're like, but what do you mean? Because I'm not this, I'm not like the gregarious person that I am in Mandarin, because they're like wait what and so all the time. But also there are there are, but then there are so many cases where there's a language barrier, and then yet you still sort of get the essential person of course, of.
Speaker 1: Course, and of course it's so funny to me that your family is like, wait, you're funny. What it's you know, it's some version of that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Hey, let's dive into the snafu. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm so okay?
Speaker 1: All right, we have a doozy today. This one is kind of fun and interesting. We're gonna play with bubbles today. But we're not talking about soapy bubbles like you make it a kid's birthday party. We're talking about economic bubbles, and it's more interesting than it sounds.
Speaker 2: Well, did the bubbles trickle down? No, I'm kidding, keep going, They never do.
Speaker 1: Just for listeners who may not be aware. An economic bubble is when a product's price gets way over inflated because everyone's convinced it's like the next big thing, and they keep buying and selling it to make a quick book and then pop. The bubble inevitably bursts because some people start to catch on that the crazy price is propped up not by the product's inherent value, but just like fully, by vibes and fomo.
Speaker 2: You've picked the worst person possible to discuss this with. But I'm with you. I'm so with you. But why couldn't tell you a thing about just bubbles? Bubble like financial matters financial anything. I couldn't even come up with the word finance.
Speaker 1: I'm the same way. No, really, I'm in the same But fully, this is why you're even more perfect than I hoped, because like you will bring a very genuine, sort of open and curious mind to this. Because I also there's parts of the math of this story that I'm like, I'm not even gonna bother with that because it's so confusing to me. Okay, what's fascinating about this one, in particular is what the bubble was. We're going back to the seventeenth century when the Dutch went mad, like completely batshit crazy for tulips. Yes, the flower, which you can buy at your local grocery store at one point cost the same as a house a single flower. So the story today is what historians call tulip mania. Yes, it's a real thing. Now are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: I am? But it never it never went away in Hall in the Netherlands. It's these flammed Jersians still love their tulips. But keep going, I'm so invested.
Speaker 1: Before we dive into seventeenth century Dutch society, let's detour for a quick tulip origin story. Tulips are native to Central Asia, so we're talking like modern day Kazakhstan and the surrounding regions, where they have been cultivated since the eleventh century. The name comes from the Turkish turbent, meaning turbin, a nod to their upward blooming, turban like petals. Wow, tulips weren't just beautiful either. They carried a lot of serious cultural weight in their native lands. In fact, they were the official symbol of the Ottoman Empire under Suleman the Magnificent, who ruled from fifteen twenty to fifteen sixty six. In the fifteen fifties, European ambassadors in Constantinople took notice of the flower, and this is when tulips spread to European markets. By the fifteen nineties, they had reached the Netherlands. And now this is right when the Dutch Republic was entering its Golden Age, a time of crazy, booming trade and artistic brilliance. Have you ever been to the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: I've been to the Netherlands. I've somehow ended up in Amsterdam, like like several times within like a couple years. I can't say that I know it like the back of my hand. I appreciate the culture of the place a great deal. And I have a theory already about why tulips kind of blew up, but I'll let you keep going.
Speaker 1: Is because everyone does mushrooms in Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's because they're easy to draw, like a child could draw. It's like thing what like a cartoon flower is essentially.
Speaker 1: So simple and gorgeous. We're broadening out a little bit now, just into some more Dutch culture context. It's the golden age for Dutch culture. And you're probably asking, well, how did that come about? And I'm glad you asked, Bowen. A lot of it traces back to the Dutch East India Company, which in sixteen oh two basically invented the multinational corporation. Partnered with the government, it was meant to safeguard trade in the Indian Ocean. If by safeguard you mean like making deals, fighting battles, and committing massive international atrocities on a massive scale, and generally acting like an entire country version of a high school bully. It was such a massive operation that in today's dollars it would be like trillions. The value of this company was like in the trillions which is hard to wrap your head around.
Speaker 2: Which is like, there's only one trillion dollar company right right now? Is it Apple? I think it's just Apple? And wait, so what you did Ververmeir paint all of his stuff? Like, that's to me, that's the golden Dutch age in my book.
Speaker 1: We're in the same zone.
Speaker 2: We are, Okay then great, yeah, let's see girl with the earing. I feel like, you know what all of all of the Netherlands was like, we are cooking. Let's let's go crazy.
Speaker 1: Vermiir is part of that artistic boom that's that's happening at the same time as this like massive financial and cultural boom. It's like Maslov's hierarchy of needs, Like as the country becomes increasingly wealthy, things like art and even sciences they really flourish because there's just more people have more time, and more and more interest in luxury. So all of this activity the supercharged economy contributed to the rise of a new urban business class comprised of merchants and traders who came to dominate high society. While the old rural nobility was getting pushed aside. The wealth gap was still significant. It didn't disappear, but regular workers were definitely doing a lot better and not quite like by a yacht vibes, but definitely like maybe splurge on some fancy cheese, say, for example. So enter into this cultural moment. The tulip exotic, imported and just different enough to make your neighbor low key jealous. Now Bowen, do you have a taste for finer things?
Speaker 2: I think the finer things are wasted on me, but I try to I try to orient myself towards those things, just just short of like being like really like obnoxious and cloying about it. What's like a really us?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it's funny. I don't really splurge on stuff. I splurge on experiences. That's where I spend. Tend to spend money, like things for my family to do that are like exciting or cool.
Speaker 2: Whatever happens here, I hope no lives get lost, but I think like what happens here has a great ending and it was all worthwhile because tulips are beautiful and it's an aesthetic thing. But it's like the modern day thing where if like you know, NFTs or like little dumb pictures of cartoon gorillas and like baseball caps somehow where it was in like every single garden and park and forest of America, you know what I mean, Like things that once seemed so so valuable that investors poured a lot of money into. If they stick around, I don't know if the bubble bursts, Like the best thing that can happen is if they stick around and they are at least a lovely thing for people to look at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when a bubble burst, like the thing doesn't disappear. In my Snafu book, I did a chapter on the beanie baby bubble Yes, which was a very sort of famous version of this the bubble burst and people lost a ton of money. It was very heartbreaking. But beanie babies are still around. They're still cute. You can still buy them. So the Dutch tulip craze begins with a botanist named Charles de le Cluse at the University of Leeden in the fifteen nineties. He cultivated meticulous tulip gardens and in sixteen oh one published The History of Rare Plants, in which he obsessed over what are called broken tulips. Now, these were the these are like the real show off tulips. Instead of a single color they had, they had like these wild, flame like streaks in them. I think we have a photo here.
Speaker 2: Of a I think I'm familiar. Oh yeah, yep, yep, yep, yep, they are so yeah. This is uh, this is what is called a Viceroy bulb. Well, actually, I don't think this is the bulb. This is the this is the whole, This is the whole thing. This is a sprouted flower. The bulb is what it grows from underground. I'm again the wrong person to ask.
Speaker 1: I feel very confident. I feel very confident about this.
Speaker 2: I have confidence in you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. Legend has it. Lecluse refused to sell his bulbs, which only made them more desirable. That's when thieves broke into his garden and stole offshoot bulbs called offsets. It was these stolen bulbs that then allegedly kickstarted the tulip craze. It gets better. While visiting a Viennese aristocrat, lit Close supposedly spotted a vase of lovely multicolored tulips, the kind he knew existed only in his own garden, And when he pressed this aristocrat, she denied everything and claimed she had no idea where they came from, which was like bold as hell and just complete horseshit right and just audacious.
Speaker 2: I would never have the guts. I just don't have it in me. I'm just so non confrontational.
Speaker 1: Wait to steal something to begin with, or to like ostentatiously display something that you stolen.
Speaker 2: No, just to do the cluse thing of calling someone out. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm telling the world you can come and steal me for all I am worth, and I will not do a thing about it.
Speaker 1: Just to avoid the awkwardness I am there. I don't want to get into that. Yeah, it's like, eh, because like if I call you out, then there'll be a whole back and forth and like you might get mad and you'll it's like you'll probably feel ashamed, and then that'll transform into rage and then we're just in as like terribly.
Speaker 2: Weird place exactly, And can't we all just be friends even after you've stolen from me? That's all I want.
Speaker 1: So before long, Dulips graduated from nice little garden accent to full on status symbol, so actual value no longer matter. This was simply about prestige, spectacle, and the of course deeply human tradition of obsessively comparing yourself to your neighbors. It's now sixteen thirty four. I don't do that, by the way, I don't know if you.
Speaker 2: Do comparing yourself to neighbors specific you're your neighbors specific.
Speaker 1: I mean neighbors in the sense of like, of course the little about it, Yeah, like whatever neighbor might mean. It's so funny. We operate in a career that is very disconcerting because I'm taking a detour for a second, the world in which we move in this show business world, it's obviously very status driven, but it's also like there are so many metrics that are so literal as to like that other people can try to like assess your value and rank you. And sometimes it's you know, it used to be things like what's your most recent box office opening number? Or now IMDb has literally has a star meter that ranks the whatever the starness of someone is. But I've always found that so bizarre and like, mind fucky about the business that we're in. Nice little sidebar, We're gonna cut all that. No, those are the best moments. So it's now sixteen thirty four, and things are heating up, Speculators pile in prices go nuts, and suddenly everybody wants the aforementioned broken bulbs. These, of course, were prized because they could produce even more rare, flashier offspring the offset bulbs we mentioned before, So owning one was like owning a racehorse, like if it's a winner, that's great, but if it breeds more winners, congrats. You're basically running like a seventeenth century tulip startup. What's interesting is that we learned later through science that the reason these these flamy, these tulips had this kind of like fiery appearance with multiple colors was because of a virus and off their offset bulbs are increasingly weak, and eventually they get to the point where they can't even flower. So they it's it's just a sort of delicious irony that they have diminishing returns over time.
Speaker 2: That's what happens with the inbreeding.
Speaker 1: It's exactly right, the habsburg chin.
Speaker 2: Or no, it's just the whole face.
Speaker 1: I think package package. Are there any fads that you've just like fully fallen into or for well, now.
Speaker 2: I feel like, okay, I feel like in this day if a fad pops off, there are about a million people behind the scenes or forces algorithmic or economic or whatever that are like ensuring its sustainability or success or whatever, like well into infinity. I think right like La Boo boos popped off last summer, and now I feel like every single person across like up and down the sort of like pop mark chain or whatever, is like there are teams of people being like, this is our strategy for how to make sure these are ubiquitous wherever we're coming up the movie, we're coming out with the clothes and we're coming out. It's like there's fat fads. Are fads? Are people try to like freeze them in amber? There are there are ways and means to freeze them in amber. Now I think so anyway, that's not answering your question. To answer your question, of course, I fell for bos. I felt right off thousand boos. Yes, there's at least there are two in my kitchen of all places. Terrible place to keep them. Why are they their furry They're they're they're going to catch something crumbs, you know, you know, uh, let's see fire on fire. They are dangerously true story.
Speaker 1: Class that is a synthetic fur. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: It's probably mine mine or minor human hair. I know my every fat. I'm playing this Pokemon game right now. That is like all over the internet. I'm looking at Lisa Frank stickers right now. I would call those a fad. There's a great documentary about how what is that? To Frank? You don't know at least a Frank?
Speaker 1: Wait, do I what is that?
Speaker 2: These are? These are big in like the nineties and aunts. These more on every single like space saver binder backpack in the late nineties, early ats anyway, and.
Speaker 1: You have a fresh path, like right there on your desk, I'm scared. But when I'm worried that that like right off camera there's like towering stuff like everything that you've bought off of infomercials and like la boo boos and that that that one false move and it's gonna collapse and we're gonna have to like call an ambulance to get you out.
Speaker 2: This is my audition for hoarders, and this is that's my gifting closet. Everyone has some structural thing where it's just a bunch of crap and you're like, I'm gonna give. I'm gonna like a hand this off to like the next person who comes to my house and like, I feel like should leave with something.
Speaker 1: Amen. I wish, I wish I had a gifting closet. I take one thing from this, It's that I need a gifting closet because there are a lot of times you're walking out of the door like a fuck, I need a bottle of wine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, how much were these tulips actually selling for? I don't know if you passed econ one on one in college. I did not. But I think it's important that we established some basic facts about the Dutch economy during the Golden Age before we get into the hard data of tulip Mania. So quick shout out to author and historian Mike Dash who wrote a fascinating book about the tulip craze called tulipo Mania. He actually starts off the book with a bit of a financial primer on Dutch currency from the era. I'm not going to get too deep into the weeds here on Dutch currency of the seventeen ears, but suffice to say, until the early nineteenth century, the basic unit of currency there was called a gilder. Now as for what that's worth today. It's kind of fuzzy. It's hard to compare value of things from so far back, but some estimates say one guilder might be equal to about ten dollars. Others go much bigger, suggesting that one guilder could be worth as much as sixty dollars anyway you slice it. Flowers were selling for too much money. So now that we have that little bit of context, these numbers am about to spew it, you might actually make some sense. So tulip prices they didn't just rise, they rocketed, according to the Amsterdam Tulip Museum, which is that's not a bit, that's a real place, and you're going next time you go to amberam I've never been. I've been to Amsterdam. I cannot believe I've been. I have been all over the world and I've never been to Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: And it's a comedy town. Like there's a dollar there. It's oh, it's wonderful, you'd love it.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm so excited to go, and it's it's at this point in my life. It's going to be a family trip, and I'm I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect family trip. It's great for everybody.
Speaker 1: According to the Amsterdam Tulip Museum, a single bulb sold one day for forty six guilders, then changed hands a month later for five hundred and fifteen guilders. Another bulb row from ninety five to nine hundred guilders in a similar period of time. Now you're like gilders, what okay? What all you have to know is that in both cases we're talking about a roughly one thousand percent increase in price. Some records indicate that the priciest sale was for ten thousand guilders in sixteen thirty six ish sixteen thirty seven, which translates to well over six hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Today one bulb, not even not even the sprouted flower, for a single tulip bulb, Now this is a time. That kind of money could buy you an entire house. Of course, you brought up Vermer earlier. Here's a fun comparison for you. Rim Brand painted his masterpiece of the night Watch for about sixteen hundred guilders, meaning you could have traded one tulip bulb for three rim Brands.
Speaker 2: Seems fair, yeah, I mean seems fair to me. That's crazy it's that's nuts.
Speaker 1: How do you think people justified this to themselves? Like, I don't know if you like we talked a little bit about sort of falling for fads here and there, but like when when you're in a real bubble like this, and there are modern examples like crypto and so forth. I think what's fascinating about this kind of situation is that, like if you buy a tool of bulb in the Netherlands in the sixteen hundreds and then suddenly it's worth like ten times what you bought it for, you don't think you're in a bubble. You just think you're in You just think you're in this like financially advantageous situation, of course, And that I think is what is like such a trap and why bubbles just keep happening over and over again. It's because they're almost impossible to perceive when you're in them.
Speaker 2: When you're in them, it feels like it is always the exception. Probably. There's a great book called Status in Culture by this guy named W. David Marx. He says that what dictates culture and especially like pre Internet, was markers of status, right, and so like in an economy where you're describing like in the Netherlands, like even like the quote unquote lower classes like had spending power, like it just drives up the price of something as like what seems as trivial, as like a flower, or as like fragile, not even trivia, but it's like fragile, Like there's a bulb like could sprout, it could not, like you're really it's kind of a gamble like but basically like you can buy that. Your people are buying this up because it is, as you were saying earlier, a status marker where they are trying to then like it's it's like buying like I don't know whatever I see. I'm so I'm so out of touch now like whatever the cool like pant is or whatever or you know, or let's just say Rolex. It's just like that is a marker of status. I need to emulate this kind of I don't know, status mobility, and therefore I need to buy this thing and then show to my neighbors that I have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But that's that explained. I mean it sounds yeah. I mean we're talking about it now like hundreds of years later, being like isn't that so crazy? But you're right. It's like when you're in the bubble. It is imperceptible because you think it is always you always think that you are the unicorn. It's the self selection bias like this, it's different this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that it's gonna just going to stay this way. The market's going to stay the way that it is. Okay. So this is one of my favorite examples of the absurdity of these deals that were going down. So according to historian Mike Dash, one of the highest exchanges for one Toulip speculator came in a magnificently lopsided load for one Viceroy bulb like the one that we saw earlier. The seller received the following two loads of wheat, two loads of rye for fat oxen, and yes, it was specified that the oxen had to be fat. Eight fat pigs, twelve sheep, two hogsheads of wine, four barrels of beer, two barrels of butter, a thousand pounds of cheese, a complete bed, a suit of clothes, and a silver beaker. Huh yeah, this.
Speaker 2: Is so Oregon Trail, like yeah right, yeah, you had to like barter with all your stuff to like get like I don't know bread and food or medicine, but like, for for one, what was it the viceroy bulb? It's pretty though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a pretty flower, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Flower. It's lopsided because it's because that was like that was the value of the of the one bulb?
Speaker 1: Like is that that is an actual contract? Was the exchange of those items for one viceroy bulb?
Speaker 2: Holy moly?
Speaker 1: What I What I love about that list is that you know, back in the day, like there was so much bartering of goods, livestock and things like. None of that is very surprising. It's it sort of sounds like a pretty conventional deal of the the sixteen hundreds, like you said, Oregon rail vibes. But where it gets weird for me is when suddenly like they're adding in a bed and then a full suit of clothes, and I'm just like, whoever's selling this bulb really needs a fresh start in their arm. I needs, Like that's what they're that's they're getting. They're getting a ton of butter and a bunch of and like she and then all these this live stock, Like this is enough to build a life. You get a bed, a suit of clothes.
Speaker 2: Like or they were taking in or the person with the bulb was taking in like a street urchin, and they were like, oh, we'll need an extra bed and fresh clothes for this person we're taking.
Speaker 4: Into pounds of cheese and a thousands.
Speaker 2: Well that's just for personally, is that's just for them to sort of com throughout.
Speaker 1: All right. So in eighteen forty one, Scottish author Charles McKay wrote a book called Extraordinary, Very Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, which featured a number of stories about the tulip mania and full disclosure. Some of these stories are thought to be apocryphal, but in one of the tales, there's a great story of a seaman who was visiting the house of a wealthy merchant. The merchant offered him a breakfast of fine red herring, and the semen then spotted what he assumed was an onion lying nearby and thought, oh, perfect, this will really elevate the fancy fish situation. So he picked it up and crumbled it over his yummy fishy meal, and he enjoyed it thoroughly, presumably feeling quite pleased with his culinary instincts. Unfortunately, It was not an onion, as you have probably guessed. It was a tulip bulb, but not just any toolip bulb. It was a Simper Augustus bulb, one of the most prized and expensive varieties in existence. So the seaman had just enjoyed his breakfast with a one million dollar flower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's on the guy for leaving the buld out in the open, victim blaming, But that's that's just what it reaks.
Speaker 1: You're right, if it's like a million dollar bulb, like you put it some put it on a shelf somewhere something.
Speaker 2: Right before you're like, oh, let me get the red herring for you, just make sure like your personal effects were like tucked away and like put put that in the safe. What are you doing leaving the bulldout?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 2: Hide them up?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't it be funny to just eat a million dollars totally?
Speaker 2: But like like what just pure cash like and like what like.
Speaker 1: And yeah, like what if you were somebody's house and they just had like a million dollars sitting out like since these things were status symbols, like maybe this maybe the merchant was like you know, like leaving it out as a sort of like a flex but if you were at somebody's house and they just left out a big stack of a million dollars and you were just like, I don't know, skully eat it. I'll just poor some maple syrup on that, and just started eating it all right. So now interesting to note a lot of these deals went down in local Dutch taverns of all places, which turned them into basically little tulip brokerages. Drinks flowed, prices climbed, and the rights to a single tulip bulb could change hands ten times in a day, which is impressive considering no one actually saw the bulbs in most cases, so this is a huge twist. A lot of the time they weren't trading actual bulbs. The tulips themselves were still sitting peacefully in the ground, often in Harlem, which is a town west of Amsterdam which has really ideal conditions for rearing tulips. Apparently, so what people were buying and selling were essentially IOUs or future contracts for a flower that hadn't even bloomed yet. So you'd spend a small fortune on something you couldn't see, you couldn't touch, you couldn't even verify other than just like you know that this is someone that you knew in your town, that they would be accountable, all in the hope that when it finally bloomed, it would be this absolutely fabulous thing, which seems kind of bad shit. This is sort of like the origin of futures trading, which is a whole other thing. I don't quite understand me neither.
Speaker 2: That's why I always say flowers up front. I always go into my deals saying, flowers, cash, whatever it has. I'm not. I can't. I can't be like speculative about any of this. I can't be poreful.
Speaker 1: Every time you go I've seen you in a flower shop and you were not fucking around it is. I'm just like, no, now, I am not. This is not a down payment. This is I want to be walking out of here with flower And they're like, but when that's how it works, we give you the flowers right now, and you're like, no, I would insist on, and they're like, yeah, that's what we're doing. We're gonna give it to you.
Speaker 2: Don't worry exactly. Thank you are you are your flowers guy.
Speaker 1: Ed. I'm sort of like a fan of botany in general. But I don't. I'm not a big gardener.
Speaker 2: I can't I d them. I can't. I can't look at a flyer and be like, oh, that's a you know, vernunculous or whatever. You know. But people, people are really people are really like that best gift anyone's ever gotten me speaking of gifts from earlier local flower shop, like weekly subscription drop off thing and I and this was this happened like three years ago, and I still I love these flowers so much of this florist in Brooklyn outline florals that I still pay every week to get like a weekly flower bouquet that is like so like delicately curated. It's not like this big, like huge bouquet of ase. It's like a little arrangement that like is just at my door every Saturday, and it's like the highlight of my week. And I just this is why I like I now, because like, as you're telling the story, I'm like, I get a tulips are tulips are beautiful. I wouldn't pay eight fat pigs for it, but I would pay I would pay somebody. There's still pretty expensive.
Speaker 1: I love this. Oh and this is such a beauty. What you're describing sounds so lovely, such a just a such a nice way to sort of treat yourself to beauty in the world, like on a regular basis, and to be reminded of beauty and to be reminded they like. It's it's like a sensory it's not just visual beauty. They smell beautiful and it someone has put care into this presentation for you and it's in your space now and that's it has such a lovely, lovely thing. A bouquet subscription.
Speaker 2: But like a lot of like the big box, like local even better, this is local. Yes, yes, yes, not the first person to say it's but like their nature's little fireworks and you can look at them for longer. It's it's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. So in this case, they weren't actually trading flowers. A lot of the time. They were just trading these sort of promisory notes, which does get crazy. They were very cynical transactions, just about sort of making money was all it was about. It wasn't even about the beauty of tulips. At a certain point. Eustis Lipsius was a Dutch philosopher. He said, quote, what should I call this but a kind of merry madness? They do vaingloriously hunt after strange herbs and flowers, which, having gotten, they preserve and cherish more carefully than any mother, doth or child.
Speaker 2: Oh vinglorious. What an underused word. Let's bring it up back.
Speaker 1: I know you're right. It's sort of two words smashed together and it means something else perfect. A frustrated botanist at Leiden University by the name of Evrard Forstius stated that if he saw a wild tulip, he would quote attack it furiously with his stick. I think at this point people are starting to resent tulips because they're creating such merry madness all around.
Speaker 2: At least it's Mary.
Speaker 1: What is like a merry madness in this moment? Would you say like swifties or like a marry Like Like to me, a merry madness is like benign, like it's not you know, you might in this case the tulip bubble, like people lost money, but it wasn't like you know, already died.
Speaker 2: I think a Mary madness now is like a heated rivalry situation where it's like, oh, how lovely likes it's nice because people love it. It's like appeals to all sectors somehow, somehow it's like a four quadrant thing, where like heterosexual manner watching this, going wow, this is really touching, and then and then women of all persuasions are like, this is the most emotion and arousal I felt in my whole life. So I think it really it runs the gamut on merrymant, I should say, and therefore it is a kind of but people are a little bit frenzied about it in a way that is a little like confounded and confusing in skins and mad and so I think that is probably the closest current example that I have.
Speaker 1: So like all bubbles, this one finally popped in February of sixteen thirty seven, And this is where myth in fact, can't exactly agree on what went down. Some say too many speculators tried to sell at once, clogging the market and evaporating demand. Others point to a plague outbreak, dampening people's enthusiasm for luxury flower gambling, which you know fair if there's if you know there's a pandemic, you're not going to be into the nice things for a minute, and then there's a theory I love this one that a few buyers actually went out to Harlem, this this town where a lot of the tulips were cultivated, and they saw fields of tulips and they had this devastating realization like, oh shit, there's a lot of these and they just grow. This is not this is probably not a thing we can we can we can't count on scarcity driven pricing for very long here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So but whatever the actual cause, it's reported that bulbs were suddenly trading at one percent of the value from even just six months prior. Allegedly, the Dutch government tried to intervene, offering ten percent of the value on bulb contracts to help stabilize the market, but that wasn't even enough to save it. Whatever the exact trigger, tulipmania was officially squashed, and I imagine a lot of people felt quite foolish when they woke up from their tulip fever dream.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, what was the full span of tulipmania? Sixteen? It started in what year? In the end at sixteen forty two, you said, or thirty.
Speaker 1: Two, So that's a good question. The I think the interest in tulips and sort of the rise of tulips as a cultural phenomenon took place through the early like you know, le Clues, who we mentioned earlier, was in the fifteen nineties, so it was sort of starting to become a fad through the early sixteen hundreds, and then we're hitting peak tulip mania in the mid sixteen thirties.
Speaker 2: Got it. I think I kind of I'm willing to believe this Harlem story where they saw the fields of tulips, because because it's just an example of like supplying Deman going like the complete opposite direction so quickly that of course the value drops immediately right where it's like there's so much of these fucking flowers, and also nobody wants them anymore so and not just kind of kills it immediately like that that kind of screeches it too.
Speaker 1: A hault. Yeah, it's also a kind of I'd like that story too, because it's it's just so funny, how you know, in some sense, a bubble, like this actual bubble is a denial of reality. You know, it's a denial. It's a denial of of like it's it's just describing a crazy amount of value onto something and the reveal that there's just these sprawling fields with them. It's such a delicious visual to be like, no, you fucking idiots, it's just a plant, It's a plant. I love that amazing. Yeah, this is that's that is the story of tulip mania Bowen Yang. I'm so glad I was able to share this with you and reflect on it with you. Do you have any other like crazy insights or takeaways from from this?
Speaker 2: You were so thorough as you always are. I have to just say, panic said and when you when you start talking about economic bubbles, I was like, wow, this is so this is so wrong for me. I'm I'm this I'm going to be such a letdown, And I think this was This ended up being a wonderful, insightful conversation. So this just well, thank you for think you're stewarding though.
Speaker 1: Amen, then thanks just for bringing your curiosity to it. I have to say I love these stories. I love history. I love just the rabbit hole of these specific incidents throughout history. But what I really love about this podcast is just the curiosity and the little sort of side turns and eddy swirls that we get into with wonderful guests like you, and so many of the ideas and bits and whatever that bubble up and reflections. I think we touched on some very meaningful kind of human behavioral ideas throughout this episode as well, and I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Ed helms you, gentlemen and scholar. I think you would really like this book. I think you would really like Status and Culture by W. David Marx. It's like it's very like these these are the terms, this is what happens. It's very like cut and dry. But as you're reading, as you're reading everything, you're like, WHOA, Like this is kind of how things are set up, like kind of out exception, like all throughout I don't know, not human history, but just just in terms of like how things are sort of like positioned as like status topics, and how that informs like the wider culture of like the arts and sports and like all of these different things.
Speaker 1: Bowon Yang, thank you so much for being on Snaffoo. This was a god damn delight.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Oh hey men, Yes, indeed, of course. Snafu is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Snaffo Media, a partnership between Film Nation Entertainment and Pacific Electric Picture Company. Post production and creative support from good Egg Audio. Our executive producers are me Ed Helms, Mike Falbo, Glenn Basner, Andy Kim, and Dylan Fagan. This episode was produced by Alyssa Martino and Tory Smith. Our managing producer is Carl Nellis. Our video editor is Jared Smith. Technical direction and engineering from Nick Dooley. Additional story editing from Carl Nellis. Our creative executive is Brett Harris. Logo and branding by Matt Gosson and The Collected Works. Legal review from Dan Welsh, Meghan Halson and Caroline Johnson. Special thanks to Isaac Dunham, Adam Horn, Lane Kleine and everyone at iHeart Podcasts, but especially Will Pearson, Kerry Lieberman and Nikki Ator. While I have you, don't forget to pick up a copy of my book, Snaffoo, The Definitive Guide to History's Greatest screw Ups. It's available now from any book retailer. Just go to Snaffoo dashbook dot com. Thanks for listening, and see you next week.