Speaker 1: A luxury.
Speaker 2: You can't live without a luxury. I can't live without coffee. I really like it.
Speaker 3: A luxury.
Speaker 4: You can get it anywhere.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, I like good coffee.
Speaker 5: I love coffee.
Speaker 2: I like my socks.
Speaker 4: Socks. Your socks would you put in your shoes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really love them.
Speaker 2: I like kind of like, you know, cozy feet.
Speaker 4: You're attracting to yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm attracted to really nice running socks, like I'm always looking for good running. That's not a luxury, though. Coffee and socks not a luxury. Give me a luxury. What luxury should I have? Private plane? Larry, I'm on Ducktails. Good Mornings, superld the Welcome to the Now Dunks podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Monday, January twenty fifth. E Skeets rolling this morning with mister what you need to Know, tast Mellie. Hey everybody, Hey Tassy, we got the bass Master ripping them lips. Trey Kirby, Hey, hey yo, the international Man of Mystery taking it to the max, giggling from that cold open Lee Ellis.
Speaker 6: That was hilarious, wasn't it?
Speaker 2: At last, but not least making the magic happen is JD. Hello, there is and here we are before we get into it. Sorry about the bills, they are tassy. It looked good for I don't know, five minutes.
Speaker 5: It's a better storyline Mahomes versus Brady, isn't it? The next one versus the one that's supposed to be gone. It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: It's unreal. You saw the stat I'm sure going around last night. No, No, Tom is in well now being a have appeared in eighteen percent of all Super Bowls because he's going to his stupid, stupid, ridiculous Bucks Cheese super.
Speaker 5: Hope the Raptors get some tickets because it's down there in Tampa where they're playing. That's all I care.
Speaker 2: But well, I hadn't thought of it that. I think they're doing a big thing with the healthcare workers if I'm not mistaking, which is good, Which is good. They're gonna allow them into the stadium. Anyway. Congrats to the chiefs in the Bucks going to the Super Bowl. Are they still doing the whole week off in between things? Trade?
Speaker 5: You bet you? Oh man, I saw that, Sorry Trey to take your thunder? What were you going to say?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I had some hot takes ready about the Pro Bowl. Tassie can't wait to see him stream it and simulate it and Madden or whatever they're going to do. I can't imagine they're flying to Hawaii and playing a game. But uh, I don't know who's your third best cornerback in the league this year? Is it Dontonio Wingfield Pro?
Speaker 5: If I could name two, then I'd give you a I can't.
Speaker 2: All right, shout out to the stream team joining us live right now on YouTube. Make sure you guys like and your comment and you subscribe. Email us your questions and comments for this week's new beach step in podcasts No Dunks at the Athletic dot com. You can always drop a question in the YouTube comments as well well. Hit us up on Twitter at no dunks Think immaculate items always available for sale at no dunks dot com. Go get your T shirts and your hoodies and your shorts and your mugs and all that. And finally, if you haven't already grab an athletic subscription, go to the Athletic dot com slash no dunks, but you can sign up for just three ninety nine a month. Ley, I know you like everything free in your life. But even you would have to admit three ninety nine a month for the best dance sports right in the world. It's the hell of a deal.
Speaker 3: How can you afford not to have a subscription at three ninety nine a month. I mean, they're basically giving it away, so go and get yourself one. They're great, great, I will say. I will say this as well. What's great about the Athletic is some of the writing if you're into other sports like soccer or whatever, is great. And there's a really really good couple of articles up recently from our our friends on the other side of the pond, as they'd like to say here about the soccer world. Because I used to be a big soccer guy, kind of left it for a while and now I'm getting back into it. So that's what the Athletic does. It gives you a little taste of everything.
Speaker 2: Awesome. How's the cricket coverage on the Athletic.
Speaker 3: Scars, I would say, Scars write some articles or.
Speaker 5: Something like that.
Speaker 3: I may have to do that. Yes, yes, so.
Speaker 2: The Athletic it's awesome unless you're a cricket fan. For now. For now, did you get.
Speaker 3: In the graft that was going around the other day about the most you know, sports with the biggest audience.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Soccer was obviously number one. Guess what was number two? Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Cricket.
Speaker 3: Cricket, Yeah, cricket. There's a market there. Maybe I should get back into the cricket guy.
Speaker 4: Get that music ready?
Speaker 2: Oh you could, uh yeah, you could start like a cricket show or article called hand Ice Lee Ellis cricket cut the cricket story from Lee a couple of weeks ago, probably who knows. Yeah, Okay, so Monday having some fun already here we do NBA weekend winners and losers. Let's start with the winners here on Monday task. Why do you get it started? Who's your big NBA winner of the weekend?
Speaker 5: Well, it's Steph Curry because he almost has a record that definitely belongs to him. Only Ray Allen now has more threes made than Steph. Because it was a very nice moment on Saturday night when he tied Reggie Miller with his four to three and he threw up the thirty one for Reg. Respect to Reg because he loved him as a kid going up against Dell Hiss Dad and it's fitting. The next one that he hit was a very Reggie like three moving off the ball. It's just trademark Steph. When he passed Reggie Miller, gave up the ball to Draymond and then flew to the corner and hit it and now has you know, just a few more hundred to go, which which sounds like a lot to catch up to Ray Allen, but for him, it's absolutely nothing. And not only is he going to catch ray Allen next season, but after he gets to twenty nine to seventy three, he's only going to be thirty three or he's going to be thirty four years of age. So he can pad that number because that record belongs to him and he should have to have it by hundreds and hundreds and hundreds, and so this is it's a nice time to celebrate Steph because you know, he's just kind of he's kind of battered around the Twitter sphere at times, right because he you know, he's thrown into the hay. He didn't win, you know, only one without KD and all that. So I just want him to have this title that is most definitely his. And I love this chart from Kirk Goldsberry that was going around. That shows that Steph Curry, among all guys who have hit one thousand three pointers, Steph Curry the most efficient of all of them. So he's number two in mad threes, but he's number one in efficiency, and that's what makes him so special. He's going to be the guy who gets you the most points per possession in the history of the league at some point. So you know, you see iverson way at the bottom, the least efficient, and Stuff's going to be at the absolute opposite end, which is crazy that he shoots a percentage like Kyle but even better than Kyle Korver. So it's you know, that's that's the numbers part of the game. And that's why I think he isn't celebrated as much as some of the dominant players in NBA history is just because you know, it's it is a little bit more about analytics and so it's a little less sexy. But it was a nice moment to see him celebrate reg And then after the game, Reggie joined the Zoom call with his son Riker talked to staff a little bit and uh, yeah, I learned a new name. I didn't know that kids could be named Riker or I've never I've just never heard the name. So that was cool for me. That was great, and it was a great moment.
Speaker 7: Lee.
Speaker 2: One of your like famous predictions, I would say, over the course of this show, back when we were the starters, grab me if I'm wrong, but you predicted that Curry would be a guy to hit four hundred threes once in a season. I remember we were like, there's no way because it was talk like three hundred and stuff like that. You're like, I think you do four hundred.
Speaker 3: I was like, no, that's wrong. I actually predicted three hundred because no one had even done three hundred.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, okay, And then he went and did.
Speaker 3: Four hundred and he smashed that. He smashed it because I think on the show I predicted three hundred and fifteen and I think his record prior to that was around two hundred and eighty five or something, and I was like, he's going to break three hundred, He's going to go three fifteen. And then after about five games into the season, he was on track for about three hundred and ninety or four hundred, and I thought, oh my god, he's going to like blitz this. But you just sort of felt he's going to come back to Worth at some point. No one can smash a record that no one's even made three hundred, no one's going to make four hundred and one season, and he went out and did that and did that pretty easily. He also missed a couple of games to that season, but he needed I believe he needed six on the last night of the season against the Grizzlies, and he ended up hitting eight. I think he had five in the first half as well. So once he got to that point. Of course, that was the seventy three and nine season. That was Kobe's last regular season game, as well as so much going on. But Steph went out there and set a record that hasn't been broken yet, but it will be broken one day. I think four hundred threes in a season, it's just a matter of time before someone comes along and does that. And you know, it seems it seems like at the time that record is like, wow, that's out of reach. But the way guys shoot threes these days, I can see someone maybe hitting five or six hundred in the season at some point down the track. Made not for a few years, but guys just come into league these days, just firing away. So that's what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, the reason I brought it up is I wanted you to tell us how many three is Steph Cree will end his basketball career with.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad you asked that's Steve as kids, because I actually I've actually been I've actually done well, I've done the projected how many threes I think he's going to make from this point on? Roughly? Okay, I think he's got seven seasons left in him where he's going to be about thirty nine. I've roughed it, averaged it out to be about seventy five games per seven seasons at three and a half threes per game. So I think he's got another eighteen hundred threese left in him. Wow, starting now, eighteen hundred regular season threes. Yes, yes, So I don't have the record here, but yeah, So he just passed Ray Allen. He's just passed Reggie Miller. He's got four hundred to get Ray Allen. So I think he's going to be around fifteen hundred ahead of rayl and about four and a half thousand threes when his career is done.
Speaker 2: Okay, calling it four thousand, five hundred and made threes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, because I mean he's going to become you know, guys like him become a better shooter as they get older. But of course he's not going to play as heavy minutes, but he's still going to be able to hit those threes. So I think that's a reasonable sort of target. He can make eighteen hundred, you know, seventy five games a season for seven seasons. I think that's him play.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and then the question will be can anyone catch him? Tray like, you know, can a Trey Young moving forward, like, you know, fifteen years down the line, you know, flirt with something like over four thousand mad threes or something like that wherever Curry ends up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the question to me is not can somebody catch him? How soon will somebody catch him? Because, like lie saying, people come in chucking nowadays, it took Steph Curry a few seasons before he was the fire thrower we know, and who's ready to just pull up from half court. You know, it took a while till anybody had the confidence to do that. But now you see Trey Young come in doing it. His rookie year. So yeah, I think it'll happen eventually. It'll be basically ten years after Ray or wait, I guess that seven years after Ray Allen retired. He retired, like nine years after Reggie Miller retired. In the next decade, will somebody pass Steph Curry? Will we have to wait until his son makes it to the NBA. And he's the greatest three point shooter of all time. That's how it seems to go. Dell Curry was one of the best of all time. Now Steph Curry is the best of all time. What's the third generation gonna be the third three point shooter? We're talking about eight nine a game, like Li saying maybe five hundred and six hundred a season.
Speaker 2: Incredible, So congrats to Curry. Yeah, eclipsing Reggie Miller. That was a cool moment. By the way, we should slip in there. The Jazz won that game, right, Tassie and continue to get their win streak up to eight. I know, Jazz fans, come on, why we won the game? We won the game? Yep, you won the game. You Tod Jess continuing to play great basketball. We talked about them at the end of last week and they were you know, a little many of the mini winner of the weekend for sure, them continuing to keep the streak going them and the Clippers are on a nice winning streak right now. Okay, so Curry, he gets one lee. Where are you going man?
Speaker 3: Well skeeze, I'm going with your Raptors yesterday? Can one single game make you a winner of the weekend? What an incredible performance because the Raptors went into this one shorthanded two of their starters not playing here, Pascal and Kyle Lowry. So this was actually sort of in Nick Nurse's playbook. Here he had to call on some of the guys who don't play as many minutes to go out there and play heavy minutes, and they pretty much all delivered. I thought og Ananobi maybe had his best game ever as a Raptor. He was fantastic on both ends of floor, hitting three's, playing great defense, super efficient, but when the game had to be won, it came down to free throws and defense. Fred van Vliet especially, his defense is stoped on Malcolm Brogden at the end there. I've watched this over and over and over again, and it looks like he gets his hand all over Brogden's sort of arm hand wrist area, but nothing was called and no one from the Pacers complained, so it's like they were like, he didn't found me. That was just incredible defense. And then on the next possession, the Raptors defense inside Stanley Johnson and boucheting de Monte Sabonis at the rim like he could not even get a shot off, which was incredible. Well he got the shot off, of course, but they contested it. Just incredible stuff. And the Raptors, who have started to play a lot better basketball too after their very slow start, got it together. But what a great performance. Norm Power was very good yesterday fred as I mentioned. I mean, he's been great for most of this season, but OG's stepping up there and just giving the Raptors a very very important win. They can face the Paces again here tonight, but you know, when you lose two starters and for a team that's desperate for wins to go out and get that sort of a victory against a team that's just very hard to play against in the Indiana Paces, I thought was excellent, and I just thought that was I think I think a lot of the result for this was from Nick Nurse's coaching record there with the Raptors isn't that he does trust those guys even if they don't play heavy minutes. DeAndre Bembery played the most minutes he's ever played as a rapt yesterday, and he came out and delivered. You know, he's not out there scoring and shooting the ball out that much, but playing the right way and the offense and setting up guys. And I think that just shows that Nick Nurse, when you're on his team, it's like you will get an opportunity. I don't know when, I don't know how, but when you get that opportunity, I'm going to put trust in you to go out there and perform. And I thought that's what they did. So I think this is a very good sign for the Raptors that they are starting to get it together and toughing out these wins. Earlier in the season, these were the sort of games that they would lose, but instead they're on the right side of the victory. Here. Great great game, great performance, and really they closed down to Mantess Bonus in that second half as well. I mean, he had one of his worst offensive games of the season. Just thought it was a great all round performance from the Raptors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Raps now five and one since starting two and eight and tass you know on football Sunday there. This was the rare like one o'clock start, so there was nothing happening yet, none of the football games had started. So maybe if some my balls were on this one between two pretty good teams obviously, and like lisaid, Raps, Raps pulled it out. How are you feeling as a Raps fan, you know, with this team rebounding after a brutal start as we talked about a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel good to have Nick Nurse in my corner because what he did to my Sabonis there, just taking him out of the game was the key to this one. That's that's Nick Nurse's m o. You see a star on the other side, make everybody else beat you. And oj Anonobi he was the one and one a defender on him, but they kept doubling Sabonis and Sabonis just wasn't ready for all that. And so when he was blocked twice at the end of the game, you could see him shaking those beautiful locks, like what how how did this happen. He was just he was, he was He just couldn't believe the forty eight minutes that preceded that. So Nurse really threw him off. They took away Brogden's right hand, and they're just ready, Nick, Nurse is ready. Yeah, and how he has everybody up and down that roster. Yeah, they're feeling, they're feeling like they can get to five hundred one day. And that's in the Eastern Conference. There's a billion teams, you know, six through thirteen. Well, I guess there's not a billion, but you know there's there's there's eight teams right there, six through thirteen that if anybody wants to make a move, it's six and seven are right there for them. And when the Heat get their guys back, you assume they're going to make a move in the raps as well. But og An andob uh It was a boss man. He was a boss in that game. And it's it was cool to see him take that number one roll and roll with it for one night. And the rematch tonight should be a blast between Nurse and protege Nate Bjorkrin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Iowa Bowl, as some people were calling it, is that where they last saw each other, I think, or last coached against each other when they were me and Iowa. Yeah, exactly. Yeah. The question for me with the Raps is, like you said it there tasks and I'll throw it at you, Trey, like, can the Raps sort of like you know, that was a victory that they won last night or yesterday I should say afternoon. That was reminiscent of last year, right, that was sort of like how the Raps won a lot of games last year, I think, especially down their their star players in Lowry and Siakam. But can they barge their way into like the top of the east conversation, you know, like the Sixers and the Bucks and the Celtics I think are all there, the Nets are in the mix. And then and then it's like the next tier of your Pacers, Heat and Raptors. Can one of those three? Can all of them who or none get into that sort of upper etchelong conversation?
Speaker 4: Well, unfortunately, I do think the Raptors are going to make it into the top six, into the guaranteed playoff spots. This seems to me to be the long con from the Raptors, come out, struggle, make it look like you're not the same championship team you used to be, and then you got everybody sit in fat, feeling good, and you're able to pull off victories like you'd were last season when you were the can't say die Raptors. But it's too bad they're going to get into the top six because right now seven through ten goes Hawks, Nicks, Bowls Raptors. That would be absolutely perfect for us in the Eastern Conference play and tournament. The Raptors are just too good. They had a bad couple of weeks to start the season, and it happened to come at the start of the season, which is when everybody's eyes are going to be on them. If you have a bad couple of weeks in the middle of March, it probably slides under the radar. But the Raptors seem to have found their footing down there in Florida and they're playing some good basketball. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, og Man, like he is a he's not going to be in any sort of most improved conversation. I don't think. I think, guys, we've talked about some of the candidates or just sort of leaps and bounds ahead of some of the other guys trailing them, but he'd better be a Dan lock Lely for an all defensive nod, Like he has to be on one of those two teams because like he is given the best guy on the other team. He's given that you know role, and he's more times than nut shuts them down or at least contains them. And then for him what he was doing offensively, he does not have the tightest handle, I would say Og, but man, it's getting a little better. He's getting a little more confident and he's just barging through guys like attacking, and then he's also hitting the three pointer, which we know he can do for stretches. So it's like, you know, you know, you hear Raps fans going, hold on, is Og already the Raptor's best player? Like is he going to eclipse here very shortly? Like a siakam If you still believe that, you know, Lowry is Lowryly he's the groat, the greatest Raptor of all time, but you know he's obviously lost a little bit of a step. I think you could start convincing me that it wouldn't be long for Og to be the best player on this team. Because what he does both ends.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, well, he got the big contract just coming into the season, so certainly massage Jerry believes that he has a big future here. But can we please not talk all defense. I don't want to get into that.
Speaker 2: After for you and your plus and all that, ye forget of that debacle. I think you can play them on one of these two teams.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, I mean the second team. There are sometimes players who bob up on that who no one really expects. But look, he's out there and he's playing tough. That's what I like about it is he plays tough and then he hits those shots. And he has been someone who rapped his fans have turned on from time to time. So you know, he's playing great right now. Everyone's in love with him. But we'll see what happens if he hits another bit of a rough patch at some point during the season, because he's someone who people like to like to jump on pretty quickly when he has a couple of bad games.
Speaker 5: He's not a number one offensive player though, like that's key. I think the worst part about the worst thing for him is that Pascal Siakam plays beside him and they just say whoa he can turn into Pascal Siakam offensively. Defensively, obviously he's a bus But the a four year, seventy two million dollar contract is his pennies on the dollar because of what he does defensively and how he can contribute offensively. And somebody would probably given him even more than that this offseason, considering the free agency class and how weak it is. But just because you see one game, you can't just throw him into Hey, he's a number one guy and he's gonna all start. I mean, he hasn't even.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm not even scratched that maybe he's one B A, two A.
Speaker 2: He's I have way more confidence in an OG shot though than I do a Sam shot from outside Buchan and everything like. It's just, yeah, way more faith in him being a little more consistent with that. But yeah, it was his best game probably as a Raptors. As Lee said, I'd probably agree with that on both ends. Let's keep it going here.
Speaker 4: What do you got, Trey, Well, the Fixers still look like the best team in the Eastern Conference. They had a great wakeound on Friday, they beat the Celtics. Embiid had thirty eight and eleven, looking like an MVP again, eleven points in the fourth quarter. But the big news I thought from this one was the best Simmons had a huge fourth quarter. He had eleven points and he basically just took down, took over down the stretch against the Celtics. You know, it's gonna be very interesting. I think we should see these couple of teams in the playoffs because they love beefing with each other. We got Embiid versus Marcus Smart. Marcus Smart was flopping like crazy in this game. Embiid versus Tys Tye was flopping like crazy. Obviously they had the beef last week about who flops the most. But that was a fun one. And then on Saturday the Sixers kept it rolling. They beat the Pistons thirty three and fourteen. For Embiid, he was making big defensive plays. He had some huge rebounds. But again, the story to me is that Ben Simmons had his first twenty point game of the year twenty nine and seven. For Ben Simmons, they just need him to be aggressive, play downhill and get in the lane, because I mean, he's scoring like twelve points a game. Everybody wants Ben Simmons to be a shooter. That doesn't seem to be the case right now, but he can still score more than twelve points a game. He just needs to take shots. He needs to be aggressive looking to score because if he's collapsing the defense, if he's in the lane, he's so tall that he's still got the kickout passes there. But they need to go to the hoop and actually try and get some layups here. He had a huge drive to the hoop to get to get free throws down the stretch against the Pistons. He's a special defensive player already. It feels like Doc Rivers is getting everything out of Embiid and Harris to start the season. Now, if Ben Simmons is running rounding into form, the Sixers are gonna look even scarier. It's tough to always believe in the Sixers because they have these high highs, They have these huge peaks, and it seems that most of these are coming at home right now, which is also a classics fixers thing to do. But it feels like the vibes are better in Philadelphia. It feels like they're confident and they're playing the right style of ball without the constant question of should we break these guys up over the top of their heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially like the timing of it all coming off the heels of the Harden trade and them not getting hardened, but Simmons' name being thrown around and like you kept bringing it up, Lee, like ooh, that could be bad, Like it'll be interesting to see how Simmons bounces back from that, how the team deals with that, and like they just continue to, you know, get these wins under their belt. So that's that's fantastic, even if it means, you know, you need Simmons to score twenty five and eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he's gotten to the free throw line double digits times two of the last three games, which I think is important. He's making those free throws two, seven to ten and then ten for twelve, So I think that is Doc Rivers saying to him, like, yeah, don't worry, we don't care if you're not shooting, but you have to still be aggressive and get inside. Because once he gets inside at six, nine, sixty ten, whatever he is, there's not many guards who can really get up there and can test the shot. So he just has to take the ball strong and he's going to get the free throw calls, and he's going to get to the line. So I think that's what it is.
Speaker 2: But overall, I.
Speaker 3: Think his response to that trade has been good. I think his attitude has been in the right place because on the night where it looked like he was being traded, apparently his agent was told he was being traded, he had a bad game and it looked like it. But then the trade happened and he wasn't included, and he seemed to be able to get over that pretty quickly. So I think that's very important for him, because again, if he and Embiid reach their potential with all their sort of surrounding players, their role players, the sky for the Sixers really is I think conference finals. I think that's in play. But when they can't play together, and when they play at their worst, it's like first round fodder like they were last season in the Bubble. I know Simmons didn't play in that series, but they do have quite a variance between their absolute best and their absolute worst, and so much of it just comes down to their two star players, which which is often the case in the NBA. If you get the burst out of those guys, then you can be great. But if if one guy is not functioning or they can't work together, then they don't really intimidate or scare any of those other teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good weekend for the Sixers. I'll keep it rolling here. A winner of the weekend the Nuggets for going back to back wins over the Suns. It was the all beat ball series, both of them in overtime, but they got it done. So on Friday, the Nuggets rallied to force overtime before getting the one thirty to one to twenty six win. Now, Yolkisch was a monster again in this. You know, he is of course at the top with embiid and a couple other guys of the MVP leader board thirty one points, ten boards. Eat assess Jamal Murray, though he hit a big shot like thirteen foot jumper to put Denver up three ice the game, there was like thirty seconds left and he had a good game, you know, a decent game eighteen ninety seven, you know, not a ton of points, not a ton of scoring, but helping across the board there in the system. Rebounds lost in the shuffle of that game too a little bit. Michael Porter Junior returned for the first time since late December after he missed ten games in the league's COVID nineteen health and safety protocols. And you know, he had seven points six boards in twenty minutes coming off the bench in his first one. Nuggets followed that up on Saturday against the Suns. Again, like I said, in another overtime game. This one went to double overtime. Jokich once again awesome, twenty nine points. He ate some roast beef which we'll get to in a second, but they got the eight point victory one twenty to one. Twelve Sons were without Booker got hamstring issues, So I could we could very easily just sort of give the Suns a loser the weekend for losing back to back against the Nuggets and then this injury to Booker. But we'll keep it positive here with the Nuggets. Murray though in this one, in this second game, I'm sure you guys saw this, that difficult off balance three at the end of regulation to force overtime. He ended with twenty six points. Yeah, Trey is dropping the traveling call out there, definitely probably got away with a walk, probably a foul on the play. Though too, if we're being honest, So maybe cancel each other out. But a very big shot, moving the feet a little bit on the side, and they got the victory in the end.
Speaker 5: They roll.
Speaker 2: I mean again, it's Jokic, it's Murray having a decent game, hitting the huge shot, and Porter in this one fourteen points, eleven boards. So here come the Nuggets, maybe tass you know, they started slow, just like the Raptors, but getting the victories.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I think they're nine and seven overall, and Jokic has been a rock the entire season. Murray's getting it going, and they're just getting some of these other bodies back where their bench is starting to look like, oh, that's the Nuggets bench of old.
Speaker 5: What a doubleheader this was that this weekend, those two teams going back and forth. Unlike the Sixers and Celtics, which was a lot of floppy beef, just flop after flop after flop, these two teams it was just good basketball going back and forth, and Jokic versus eight and eight and was doing such a great job of taking away Jokic's spots. Even though Yokic had a real good game, because he's a friggin superstar. He's an MVP candidate. I was really impressed with DeAndre Ayton and how they fought on a second night without Devin Booker. That was that was a blest And if that's any sort of indication of what we're going to get in the postseason, I can't wait because I would love to see the Suns. I'm not so sure if I want to see Celtics and Sixers. In terms of flop, oh, man, it's too many flops. That's like flop per minute rate. That's a lot, man, Like it's lower. It lowers, for sure, you know, but you'd be on board.
Speaker 2: You'd be on board with the Sun's Nuggets series like a four five or three six or something like that.
Speaker 5: Great stories, great stories throughout throughout the both those rosters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was good.
Speaker 2: Anything to add, I mean, you thought it was a travel trey. I actually think you're right there with Murray.
Speaker 4: So did the last two minute report they said it was a travel He did that. He did the smart move though he took a shot from right underneath the score bug. You couldn't really see what his feet were doing, but he called the ball there. But if they don't call it, it counts. That was a crazy shot with zero reaction because there was nobody there, But I was like, oh wow, that went in. Incredible stuff. But the Nuggets are looking good, and I think that Yokic would be even higher in the MVP conversation if we were seeing these kind of performances from Jamal Murray all season, because the Nuggets have been very close in winning the games that they lost. They're nine and seven. The defense has not been very good at all, but Jokic has been straight up ball, and if he had the secondary guy there every single night, they're probably a little bit better than nine and seven. Good to see Murray get going. He looked like he was in total control of this game. So yeah, I'm with Tassi. Sign me up for Nuggets Versuns because I think their first game was the one where Chris Paul hit that really big baseline jumper and then one of his teammates stepped on his shoe, So they've played three classics already. Would be fun in the playoffs, no doubt about it. But of course, for me, the biggest news out of this one twenty two rebounds from Nikolea Jokic, So you know, we got to.
Speaker 1: Do it to him, skeets.
Speaker 7: Nikola Jokic grabbed twenty two rebounds. That's a lot of roast beef. He's on Denver. That's mile hide, no duks. We love roast beef, which is rebounds.
Speaker 2: When you see it cut together like that, you really realize that Jokic never grabs a rebound with two hands.
Speaker 4: Oh my good, this is hilarious to watch this guy rebounding, never grabs a rebound with two hands. Barely he jumps off the court. Look at how many of those are just him worming his way around DeAndre Ayton wearing an ironic number twenty two. Just a little tiny tip that one rebound right off the top where he grabs it with one hand. It just chucks it down the court. They didn't score on it, but he's throwing the outlet pass. Anyways, This was a lot different than watching Clint Capella's sloppy beef was. This was an interesting beef to watch, but the beef watch continues. That's our fifth twenty rebound game so far the season. Two for Drummond, one now for sabonas Clint Cappella and Nicola Jokic. Cappella he got pretty close over the weekend. Nineteen rebounds is looking like back to back beef. But this is how you inspire people. Big Beef exists for one week and now we got five twenty rebound games. You don't need to go out there and trash people. You gotta lift them up. Say we want to see those rebounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw someone on Twitter saying that what's going on with all these twenty rebound games? Is it because of the Big Beef? I think so everybody wants that roast beef.
Speaker 3: What would you call it if Cappella gets the triple double with the roast beef because he had the ten blocks too, and he had it.
Speaker 2: Oh you're saying, what happens with the triple double and roast beef? Exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, beef in Swiss. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Triple decker, I think, yeah, yeah, why not? I think that's when Nicole Joki is doing with that other hand. When he's rebounding with one hand, he's got a roast beef sandwich in the other that he's killing.
Speaker 2: It's incredible watching those, though. It really is like you don't notice as much when you just see one at a time. For some reason, you cut them all together. It's like he never ever grabs it with two hands. It's always one.
Speaker 5: And that music just guessed me. Hype was that the whittler on the ones and twos dropping those beats. That was nice.
Speaker 2: Well, let's stick with the nuggets because a couple other things here, Jamal Murray back to him. You know, he had all those big shots the ice the first game, and then he hit the game tying three, which you got away with the travel, but he hit the shot anyway. He also gave us one of three new wedgies from the weekend guys. So on Friday it was Jamal Murray Kitchener's finess. Of course, I should have said that earlier. Stuck it from the wing a spot, classic spot for a ggie, really deep weggie. I'd say that one's really in there, so that's nice. Then on Sunday, Lonnie Walker the fourth from the exact same spot, basically another leggie. Weg you number twelve if you're keeping track here, Marie was eleven Walker twelve, and then we weren't done because the Blazers, guys, my goodness, I think the Blazers are gonna win the championship solely because of how they've contributed to the hashtag we are Edgie because we got wedgie number thirteen on the season once again in a Blazers game, and once again Lamar heard on the.
Speaker 8: Call, Robinson denied by Kempy tenn and what do we have portally have a weggie? We've gotten more of those over the last three or four gas. We really have make that pass, good job and they go up and get that in.
Speaker 4: It was that our fourth one fourth. That's the rare block wedg.
Speaker 2: You can see those in the wild patients.
Speaker 8: Then I'm join those guys pretty so we're going to talk about Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look at that, Lamar heard teasing his appearance coming up here on No Dunks incredible and it's like, yeah, what is that our fourth Blazer's wedgie? Is that right? That's unbelievable this early in the season. Lamar heard, though, Blazer's broadcaster is coming on our show later this week. We got them penciled in for Wednesday. Got to talk to him about weggies. And that's of course his Blazers team got a whole lot more incredible.
Speaker 4: That was a crazy wedgie too, That was very soft the way it kind of like got just loaded up there. It was meant to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very low, I would say too low underneath it quite under the rim. So that's fantastic. We're at thirteen Wedgies tasks, Okay, we are. I mean, we'd have to go back and check, but I'm not sure we've ever had a start this hot right thirteen, like, and we're month into the season.
Speaker 5: I can confirm no chance we've had such a hot start. There's no chance that we're on pace for sixty ish to start the season and a seventy two game season. Oh and yes, we've taken that into account all those asking we include playoffs, but at this rate, layoffs are gonna be gravy on the low hanging Weggies. We're gonna blow through fifty. It feels like. Yeah, and it the man who gives us credit, Lamar Hurd, to have him on the call for four of them. This is the year of the Wedggie.
Speaker 2: It's truly amazing. And one more Nuggets related thing, Okay, to bring it back to the Nuggets, I just wanted to bring attention to this Monte Morris nickname on Basketball Reference that was making the rounds over the weekend, and I pointed out that We had nothing to do with this, but I wish we did. One of Monte Morris's nicknames is count of Monte assist slash teo. You know for turnover. He's got a great assist to turnover ratio Count of Monte assist you. I can't believe Task didn't come up with this, Orley or me for that matter, because this is right in our wheelhouse. But it wasn't us. I don't know who did it. Maybe just the people in Basketball Reference are having some fun. But what a nickname?
Speaker 4: What a nickname? Honestly though, if Count of Monte Assisto can make it, why is Ray Biscuit's dad quest not on Basketball Reference?
Speaker 2: Come on for favous bass kids. Yes, that's uh, we should get that up there. So what a weekend for the Nuggets there? What a weekend overall? I will say a mini winner of the weekend Jalen Brown. I mean, I know you don't want to watch Celtic Sixers matchup in the playoffs, fair enough tests, but Jalen Brown somehow scored the most points ever in the shot clock era at least, so we're talking since nineteen fifty four to fifty five, most points scored in under twenty minutes in a game last night yesterday thirty three points, shot thirteen to twenty in just nineteen minutes, which is pretty damn special there lately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have thought someone like staff or Clay Thompson would have done better than that at some point.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: It just it was weird. I saw that stat as well. I'm like, eh, that seems like that's not that many points really for the way that the players scored in the league these days, you know, or even someone like shack back in his day. Maybe in one of those blowouts he plays only the first half and he has like thirty six points or something. But shit, very very weird Mann thinking out all sorts of crazy stats these days. It's like the Baseball Baseball they always come up with, oh, he's a he's betting six hundred against lefties on a Tuesday and the open.
Speaker 4: Roof, you know, and it's like.
Speaker 3: Alright, alright, it cares.
Speaker 4: But maybe that damn I've talking Tampa Tom. I saw quite the stat for him over the weekend. He was like twenty five and four when games are under twenty nine degrees, when you're bringing in the degrees that's a wow. But Jaalen, Man, this guy is straight up ball. And he had the thirty three and nineteen minutes, like you said, also had forty two against the Sixers, and earlier this season, right, he had forty two and twenty nine minutes and that was like the greatest Celtics performance since Larry Bird at the time. So this guy is knocking off legends left and.
Speaker 2: Right here, Oh, Trey, I mean, on Friday's podcast, on the Drop podcast, we were doing our one Month in awards and like sort of blew my mind when you said Jayalen Brown for Most Improved. Man, I mean, I'm all on board with this pick. Now. I know there's some other great candidates, but he is averaging. Jalen Brown is averaging twenty seven point three points per game, six boards, three and a half assists. He's shooting fifty three percent from the floor, really good numbers across the board. And like Tatum's been in the lineup because of COVID nineteen, Kemball obviously wasn't there for a good chunk. Celtics still of a decent record. I actually was shocked. I went to Basketball Reference this morning thinking Jalen Brown may have cracked the like their top ten you know NBA MVP Award tracker thing. It's all based on numbers and previous votes and stuff like that. But he's not in there yet. But he's got to be damn close with what he's doing. But most improved. He's looking like a looking like a great pick. Though I think maybe he'll be too much in the MVP conversation if he keeps us up that it could hurt him. But crazy stat and a crazy new record.
Speaker 4: There, Yeah, that's possible. He looks like the perfect one B right now? Am I? Right late? Because he's he's fitting along, looking like a number one option playing alongside Jason Tatum or playing alongside Kemba Walker. It's the perfect one bee? What the one JB?
Speaker 3: If if he was to MVP, surely he would have to also in most improved because who would have improved more than him to go from a non MVP to MVP this season.
Speaker 2: Well, we had that conversation with Steph Curry. I remember back in the day people were trying to give it to him as well. I just think if you're in the MVP conversation or you're winning it for that matter, you're you're out of the running.
Speaker 5: For most Improved.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's just a rule that we came up. But all right, those are our winners of the weekend. Let's get to loser's task at started. What do you got?
Speaker 5: I gotta start with the New Orleans Pelicans because last year we went to the bubble thinking the Pelicans were put into that situation. They brought in the Pelicans and their their record where they were standing. Because everybody wanted to see Zion Williamson. They increased the number of teams to get Zion there. The hopes were there for them to get in. Their defense did not show up for Alvin Gentry, so he was acts. After five seasons, stan Ban Gundy inserted and after seven games this season it looked like the SPG insertion was fantastic. They had the fourth rank d but since then they're twenty ninth and they now have, you know, the second worst defense. For a good stretch of the season, they've lost eight of nine, including to the Timberwolves on Saturday, who didn't have Karl Anthony Towns it won't for a while, and they didn't have Dangel Russell who was resting. Excuse me, d Angel Russell resting the fifteenth best team in the Western Conference as resting one of their players, Come on, I don't, yeah, it absolutely did. Yeah, they played like a team and they won. The thing is with the Pels, they've decided to play like the Bucks a little bit. Let's shut down the lane, not send anybody to free throw line, and allow three point shots to happen. The The objective, though, is to make the guys who can't shoot all that well shoot the three point shots and take away the corner threes. And that's just hasn't happened. And Steven Adams has been sucking up a lot of those defensive rebounds. But Zion Williamson not a great defensive rebounder, and they're allowing opponents to shoot seventy percent at the rim. That's not good enough. That's you know, one of the worst marks in the lead. Stevie Adams that's not his forte So they're not playing hard enough. I think that's what it comes down to. They're just not a defensive outfit. So they have to pick this thing up because they're one of those. To me, they're kind of one of the interesting teams coming into the season, and the idea was, yeah, they're going to be this hard hat team with Stevie Adams in the middle. And now people are thinking, well, maybe Zion should play the five, and maybe they should just throw JJ Reddick in the starting lineup because Eric Letso and Lonzo Ball aren't scoring, and so maybe they should just go all offense basically because Zion at the five is not going to be amazing defensively. Hey, for me, that would be fun to watch, but for stan Ban Gundy, he'd pull out every single hair he has on his head, I think watching that. So Stevie Adams is going to stay at the center spot. But they just have to get better. And so the Pelicans, although the Western Conference is full of good stories, the Pelicans are not one of them at this point. They come home and they are going to have lots of games at home to try and get their defense right. But all those tenets that are you know, their defense is based on, is just they're just not coming through on them at this point. Eight of nine, last eight of nine that they're they're too good for that.
Speaker 2: I saw Kendrick Perkins too, tweeting about them over the weekend. He said, you all really thought stan Van Gundy was the one. Huh, the Pelicans should have hired a young stud. But don't mind me though, carry on, And then I saw that. I the only reason I think I saw that. I'm not sure if I do follow Kendrick Perkins, but I saw Baron Davis retweet it basically doubling down agreeing with Kendrick Perkins, sort of like, yeah, people, you know, young guys, I guess do not really want to buy into what SVG is selling. So I don't know some former players thinking that, at least I don't know if there's any truth to that. But it's not good right now. You're gonna make loser of the weekend probably if you lose to the Timberwolves without their best guys, because they're not a great team either. So yeah, it's rough. I don't know if you have anything to add tray about the Pelicans.
Speaker 4: Well, A lot of the concern, it feels like, is on whether or not Zion plays defense, and there's no doubt about it. He could be better better at it. He would certainly struggle playing as a small ball five on the defensive end, but he's getting buckets on the offensive end and I really think the main problem with them defensively is their guards guard absolutely nobody, Like Lonzo guards nobody. Eric Bledsoe guards nobody, and they're both out there for their defensive prowess more than anything. It's a walk into the lane before you're encountering either Steven Adams or Zion, So I mean they're at a bit of a disadvantage here getting head starts. The guards are getting head starts to try and attack Zion, who's a short guy who can maybe put his hands up at the rim, but doesn't exactly know where to be. Or Steven Adams, who doesn't have great left isn't a super rim protector, or just a big guy who takes up space. It's not looking good, especially considering they brought in. It was Lonzo and Eric Bledsoe and Steven Adams. You thought this is going to be a pretty solid defense. For a defensive coach in stan van Gundy. He's got to be sick, absolutely sick, watching these guys get completely dusted in the pick and role. It's not even close. It's like they come aund one thing and maybe it's Josh Hart, maybe it's JJ Reddick, whoever it is, it is a bucket for whichever guard is out there.
Speaker 2: Is this safe to say they are not forming an f and wall for Stammangunny in the post huh no chain link fence. You can get through it pretty easily there ly, although it is easy to get through a chain link fence. Yeah, I guess it sort of is if you were a mouse.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Think about that. Anything to add to the Pelicans.
Speaker 3: No, it's I mean there's a lot of expectation and hope on Zion Williamson and he's scoring fine, he's doing all that, but it takes time to learn how to play defense. It looks like he just has never really been a big defensive player throughout his career, and now he's in the NBA and he missed most of his first season and his second season. It's like, you're the star player in this team. Fine, is scoring nice, but you need to be able to also hold up your other end on the defensive side, and he's not able to do that. So yeah, it's it's like it's a battle between the Pelicans and the Kings or who has the weakest defense, and neither of them have a very impressed at all to this point.
Speaker 2: Trey who do you have for loser the weekend of the weekend.
Speaker 4: I hate to do it. It's the Orlando Magic. They had a tough weekend. On Friday, they lost to the Pacers. In this game, they led with sixteen seconds left in regulation to Monto Sabonis gets a bucket, Aaron Gordon a turnover on the other side. Then they're up three with forty four seconds left in overtime, and then it's buckets for Demanta Sabonis and Malcolm Brogden. Fourty A misses a three on the other end. After the game, he said, this was painful because I thought we fought really hard, and I feel like we had this game twice and I feel like they stole it away from us. That's exactly what it felt like. It happened again on Sunday versus the Hornets, another loss. No Aaron Gordon in this one. The ball movement was incredible to start. They were, you know, they assisted on like twenty one of twenty five baskets through three quarters or something like that. But then at the start of the fourth quarter the Magic gave up a twenty five to four run. Suddenly they're down three. They give up two offensive rebounds, then it somehow gets to Biznack Bimbo, they foul him. He misses two free throws, having forty eight fans Terrence Ross in the corner for a chuck of a three it somehow go But then on the other side, Gordon Hayward in the midst of a good game, he drives right past Evan fourtyer for a layup with basically nobody at the rim than the Magic at the ball on offense, a five second violation. Two tough losses for the Magic. They've lost seven of eight. Are they tanking? Like? Are the Magic tanking? I know that they went south once Markel Foltz got hurt, but they haven't done anything to replace him. They've been running Aaron Gordon as their point guard, which understandable you want to get some more out of some of your best players. See if he's the guy that you're gonna actually keep around. But they could have done something. They could have brought somebody in on an exception. They could have made a move. Evan fourty eight could be traded. It doesn't feel like they're doing anything to actually make their team better right now when they're really really struggling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Obviously, the injury bug has nailed them. They're missing a lot of their guys. But that's tough. I don't know, are they tanking. I hadn't thought about that sort of a sneaky tank job if they are, because they're in all these games. They could have won half these games, but they keep coming up short.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're like they're happy to run out there with Cole Anthony as the point guard, which is understandable as well. You want to get a young guy some reps, see what he can do. But he's shooting under forty percent. You're not gonna win a lot of games like that. When you're an offensive team that already struggles. The problem is they can't get stops defensively. This is a team that has made their bones on the defensive end, staying in every game and coming through in the clutch when they need to, but the execution has not been there, especially this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the Magic Team to be like nineteenth or twentieth defensive rating is not good because they're never going to be a great offensive rating team and they are not once again this year. But yeah, you know this is just gonna be I hate to say it's just gonna be one of these classic magic years where, like I don't know, they'll be maybe flirting maybe with the play in tournament. I would think i'd picked them. They'll be on the outside looking in, just outside. But it's not like they're going to be probably the worst team in the league either, right lely, like they're just sort of stuck in this light little Noman's land.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, guys like forty A and Terrence Rossa I would attract some interest on the trademarket, but not much. I mean, no one's gonna all of a sudden turn around the franchisea So I think they do need to tank effect and probably so saught again because you know Vucevich. You know, he's one of those guys who he's an All Star. He's definitely an Allstar. He was an All Star a few years ago. But he just doesn't move the needle all that much, even if he's having a good season, which he is. But the game last night against the Hornets was definitely there. I mean, I know you mentioned the Pacers as well, but that was there to be won, and in the fourth quarter they got the yips and could not finish this game, couldn't score down the stretch, whereas Gordon Hayward could. And Gordon Hayward I absolutely loved his game winning drive there he went inside, he didn't go over the hero ball. Instead, he made a solid move, got inside, laid it up, beautiful way to finish the game. Had thirty nine points, and this was one that was like, You're going to get teams like Charlotte who are a little bit up and down themselves, and when you're in a position to finish them off, you have to do that. And Orlando just couldn't do it. And again it's both ends. Couldn't execute defensively and offensively. It wasn't any better. So yeah, two and eight in their last ten. I think they were probably punching above their way at the start of the season, acknowledging they have lost some players to injuries. But again, I mean Fulks was having a decent season, but not like, oh my god, how can they compete now without fults out there? So yeah, not sure really what the prospects are for the Magic for the rest of the season.
Speaker 5: I loved watching Gordon Hayward's drive, but for a couple of different reasons. First, watching Evan Fournier guard him. I was shocked, the shock that he was guarding him. I thought there must be like sixteen switches that have happened to have Evan Fournier gardener because he's not a defensive stopp or, he's an offensive guy. And Evan Fournier he got cooked. And then at the rim, Yeah, ken Burch was super late getting over there to help out, and Steve Clifford, Magic's head coach, was leave it and to see him get right in ken Birch's face into the trees face and get super angry that it was a good play. But yeah, Gordon Hayward super pumped for that drive to finish it a thirty nine point game. Guy's ballin this four to thirty point game of the season. The offense is there, and they're one of those Eastern Conference teams that are Yeah, they could be good, they might not be. It's surprising with him playing so well that they're at seven to nine. I believe that that popped him up to seven and nine. It should be better than that. They should, you know, with with Lonzo Ball, not Lonzo the other one, LaMelo Ball playing that well, you know that they co'd expect them to be better than seven nine, and now they got Cody z back as well. But on the other side, yeah, the Magic. They would have rather had Mark l Folts on him, he's hurt. Rather have Aaron Gordon on him, he's hurt. They would rather have Michael Carter Williams on him. Is Michael Carter Williams back. I'm not sure they'd rather to have Jonathan Isaac on him. Yeah, so, yeah, they are banged up.
Speaker 2: Lee. What's your favorite tree?
Speaker 3: Probably the gum tree? Okay, classy gum tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I asked you that before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I think we've talked about trees because they were in Athens. Remember that's for the Olympics. I remember.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful I love I love a birch tree, though. I do like how a birch tree looks. That's why I was papery exactly. Do you have a favorite tree?
Speaker 5: Try?
Speaker 4: My favorite Southern tree is the crape myrtle. I like those. I like that smooth look you get on the bark there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really nice. Good good tree picks. Test. I mean, I'll finish this off. You got a favorite tree?
Speaker 5: We're staying in the South. You know, I have got different regions. I like different trees in the South. The Spanish moss. It's an amazing tree.
Speaker 2: Remind me what we're talking about. It's like very moss like appearance.
Speaker 5: I assume absolutely, it's like it's like a weeping willow.
Speaker 4: Okay, sort of nice.
Speaker 5: It's a unique tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful tree. JD. Do you have a favorite tree?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the maple obviously, so.
Speaker 2: You like this, you'd like to tap that? Eh, tap that tree?
Speaker 6: Like to tap that tree?
Speaker 2: Kinky son of a bit? All right, my loser of the weekend, I'll go with the Wizards. Let's keep this very quickly.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: The Wizards are sort of in a weird way a winter of the weekend because they're actually back playing basketball. Do you guys remember the Wizards. They're one of the teams in this league. They hadn't played in like two weeks, but they did play on Sunday. Thing Is came back and they got their ass handed to them in the second half by the Spurs. They lost by twenty. They had good start and they were spunky to start, but then they just got hammered as the game went on. They tired. They're short on guys. I mean, they're it's getting desperate there. You know, they're signing Alex lenn and Jordan Bell. If you got a short last name, you can play for this team. They want to save money on the letters on the back of their jerseys, right, so they going for short names. I think Jeremy Lynn might get a call over or it might be in the Wizard's uniforms soon. But anyway, Westbrook was back in the lineup. I bring this up for a real loser the weekend. Did you guys see Westbrook? I mean it is u he probably should not even be playing. He is coming off of an injury. I think it's that quad injury, right, and then playing in a while rough in this one man three of eleven four turnovers, he's a minus twenty and twenty five minutes. I know it's one of your favorite stats. Lee, So Russ, I mean, I hope, I hope. I hope he can get back to a little bit more of the rust of holds. But I'm worried that we'll see that at all this year, maybe especially if he has to try and like continue to play through these lingering issues, injury issues. It's bad.
Speaker 3: Well, and also what's he playing for in there in Washington. They're probably not going to make the playoffs, you know, and I think he could sort of see like maybe it was the bit of the layoff there. But watching that game, I was like, he's just like I wish I wasn't here, you know, I think he'd rather be anywhere else at the moment, because it just feels like he's, you know, at the stage of his career where he wants to be at least close to a championship, and it's a battle just to get to the playoffs. So the only real hope is for Bradley build is you know, the only positive would be if he can lead the league in scoring for the entire season. That's something.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's the next time you have hammer On ask him, would you rather lead the league in scoring and win three games all year or would you rather win sixty games and you know, score five points for you Yeah, it would be the question.
Speaker 3: But they Yeah, the Wizards have to figure out a way to move on and rebuild.
Speaker 2: I mean, how long Scutty Brook's going to have this job. Let's be honest here.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's the last Yeah, I think the last year of his contented and it's like, well, you may as well let him finish this season, I guess, because who wants that job?
Speaker 2: I would say, do the opposite. Get someone else in here, see if they can shake it up. I get something else going.
Speaker 3: They need to. They just need to hit the rebuild button. They smash it and see what you can get for Beale, and see what you can get for Westbrook. Get some picks and start again next season.
Speaker 2: I think that Maple Tree and yeah, yeah, Leally, what do you got for loser the weekend? Finish us off here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So you remember on Friday Show of course, where Shack got worst of the week for calling out Donovan Mitchell. Well it got worse for Shack over the weekend because an Instagram usic named klso Scooped, who does great work. Actually, by the way, great artwork, put up a picture of Donovan Mitchell dunking on Miami heat Shack like that, and I said, Shaq, don't really want the smoke with the spider, beautiful job. You know it's a photoshop. Obviously it's a photo shop. Well, Shaq didn't appreciate that too much and he slid into kalso Scopes DMS there and he said shut Joel Dama Domas up and kalso Scope did the worst thing by putting it up there, putting it on the Instagram and saying, look, he didn't like it. He didn't appreciate that. Now, the reason I bring this up is because a lot of people who were defending Shack's approach or for what he said to Donovan Mitchell Howse so we're like, you know, these young guys can't take criticism. Well, oh guys apparently can't take a bit of banter either. Shack not happy with that. So I think that just makes Shack look a little a little petty and not being able to handle a jokey sort of critics. Critic, critic, critical attack on himself. I don't know what the hell, but you can't slide into anyone's DMS these days because if you do, people are just going to light you up and say, look, man, you look pasthetic. So, you know, Shack, it wasn't good what he said to Donovan how he said it, and he could have at least manned up and have been like, yeah, you know, maybe I shouldn't say that.
Speaker 4: What icy heart with, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Lebron. In the general Lebron and Kevin Durant were also also made a few comments about you know, Shak's approach there, and I think it was right. So yeah, I think in the end, Shack did get dunked on in the in the social media sense rather than in the en court sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, we talked about this in Greek detail on Friday's podcast, but Lee pointing out that just great art, that critical attack of.
Speaker 4: Art boys got me.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, I was thinking about it because he because he posted, you know, Miami Heat Shack, who was still decent. You know, he won championship there with a Heat. Would it have been better to put up like Phoenix Suns or Cleveland Cavaliers or even Celtic Shack, you know? Or would you or would you go the other way and put Laker's shack Orlando Shack where he was being indominant and he's still getting dunked on, like is it? Is it more?
Speaker 2: I think the Heat's the perfect sweet spot, that's.
Speaker 3: Why, right, Yeah, so he was still good enough, still an old stop. Yeah, I guess he was an old start in Phoenix as well. It was his last season, but yeah, I was thinking, like, you know, if you put him up as Shack, like his shack, it's like, oh, he's dunking on in a super prime Shack, you know. But then you could also just say you put him up as the old man Shack getting dunked on.
Speaker 2: Oh, so you got to find the right photo. Come on, man, like the photoshop boys, you can't. You got to hope there's a good photo from behind of maybe Shack getting dunked on previously, then you can photo shop. But in that's how this worked.
Speaker 5: One thing I was wondering about. I was wondering, was that Shack because what the artist definitely did was accentuate hit the role in the back of his head. Yeah, you see that that extra little neck role there, making Shack look as chunky as possible.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, so you're saying task, maybe this is somebody else, and that he's just done a great job on the jersey and putting in O'Neil and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I mean, the level said this critical attack, it's you know, I don't know, it looks like Shack. It definitely, it definitely looks like Shack. Who else could it be?
Speaker 3: Art?
Speaker 2: Attack man.
Speaker 5: Wow, Carso Scope with the Critical Attack doing.
Speaker 2: Emergency podcast for any time there's a critical art attack, go and check.
Speaker 3: Him out though on Instagram he's got some good nice I never.
Speaker 2: Was actually I was gonna say, I've never heard of this, this Instagram account. You seem to be a fan. Do you follow?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I don't, but I know well only because I saw it. It was it was going making the round, so I checked it out and I scrolled through.
Speaker 2: What else has he done?
Speaker 3: Well, there's a Loonzo and LaVar not LaVar, Lonzo and LaMelo sort of going up against each other. There's a nice one there.
Speaker 2: Well, so he does a thing where he's merging past and the president. Yeah, very nice.
Speaker 3: But does it really well too? It wouldn't be like if I did it where you could clearly just see like two photos slap together like he actually blends it in. It makes it look good.
Speaker 2: Maybe they do one of like a young le Ls and old playing each other like you see that MJ one every once in a while, right, Like ye'd be awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, reach out Ty Winter in the stream team, says Joel Anthony. That's who I was thinking. It does look Oh the rear the rear head of Canadian Joel Anthony in the rear head.
Speaker 2: Okay, amazing. Well those are our winners and losers of the weekend. I'm sure we miss some, so you let us know in the YouTube comments. Let us know right now if you're the stream teamers or tweet us at No dunk stake a little bit of news, guys before we start wrapping this up. The Brooklyn Nets will have some extra cash to use to try and sign or trade for an additional player because the league granted their application for a five point seven million disabled player exception for Spencer Dinwiddie, who is of course out for the rest of the season. Tasks, where are they going to go? What are they how are they going to put this money to use?
Speaker 5: Man, Well, I'll say first and formal. People want to play with the Brooklyn Nets when they see those three offensive weapons, go at it. I heard Richard Jefferson, analysts for the Brooklyn Nets, right now, talking about, well maybe I can get out there for eighteen minutes. And you know, Richard Jefferson is a joker, but I think deep down he's thinking what a lot of veteran NBA players are thinking. I could go play with those dudes. And speaking of you know former players that kind of look like Shaquille O'Neil, kind of look like Joel Anthony from the back, Dwayne Deadman is available. I know he I know, maybe he's you know, not your rim alter that you desire. You know, he is more of a but he's a tough guy. He is very tough. He's willing to lay the hammer down when need be. That's what the Brooklyn Nets want. That's what Kevin Durant is yelling at Reggie Perry every time. Come on that. DeAndre Jordans like he just wants a you know, a real physical guy in the lane. So Dwayne Deadmon could be a guy. And I'm sure anybody would want to play with those guys. I'm not. The thing is, you got to go get a big and you you probably want another wing defender because Kevin Durant is having to do so much against the big wing defenders. That seems like every team has there. They got a couple of needs out there.
Speaker 2: Well, they recently signed free to forward Norvel Pell right, the Nets did to help the front court. But you're you're right, I mean, Denman, I think is available. Randy Hollis Jefferson is available to right, so he could be had, but those guys or yeah, in fact check me on that. I think he is though, but those guys could be sort of had for I would assume the minimum if they're not on a roster. So will they wait with this dpe to use that, you know, which is obviously a much more good chunk of money to use on someone that comes out in the buyout candidate market and stuff like that, or in a trade, you know, for like a McGee. We talked about JaVale McGee as possibility or like, I don't know, can Biambo be in play there or something like that, Ed Davis, I know his name has been thrown around or maybe, like you said, task like a wing guy. I love the idea of them getting Rondy Hollis Jefferson back on the nets. I think that makes a lot of sense. He'd give you some defensive presence. No, Tree, you don't think so a little bit.
Speaker 4: I think they're done with him. I think most troubles are done with him. If a team wanted him for defense, that should have been the Minnesota Timberwolves who had him, and they just said no. The worry I would have is it seems like Jabealo McGee would be the perfect candidate. But are there enough basketballs to go around? Did you see Jamiel handling the ball on the fast break this weekend? I don't know if Steve Nash is gonna be able to find touches for four elite ball handlers out there tray.
Speaker 2: That was Javal McGee.
Speaker 3: What he did.
Speaker 2: This was Trey Kirby at the pickup runs. It took me back, It made me long to play hoops agains like oh Man every once every Wednesday night. That would be a Trey Kirby Jabal McGee like fast freak where he's getting fancy with.
Speaker 4: It, rumbling bumbling, stumbling down the court. If you get a rebound, is a big guy at the free throw line, it is your obligation to take it the full length of the clurk coast to coast and finish with a ridiculous shot.
Speaker 3: What are resurgence for Javal McGee's career. A couple of years ago out of the league, completely wins a couple of championship with the Worries, one of the Lakers, and now he's a fun uh impactful vet on the Cats.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just incredible.
Speaker 3: This guy he was he was just a clown there for a couple of years, and now it's just like he's fun to watch and he plays well and it's great for the Nets to have, for the Cats to have him on that team.
Speaker 2: And his name comes up on our podcast every second day because we keep talking about, like, oh, Juelle McGee could be had any I don't wonder who could get him.
Speaker 4: It's like shades of twenty twelve to me. I feel like at the trade deadline that year, we talked about Ramon Sessions non stop. We're like, oh man, this is it for the Lakers, this is what they've needed the whole time, somebody to run that second unit. We're talking about JaVale McGhee here, the veteran leader, but honestly, he would help the Nets the.
Speaker 5: Non Sessions had a twenty assist game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a forty point game too. I think Sessions he was just the hottest thing in fantasy. The following season was like get Ramon Session.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was like, Nah, twenty boards is roast beef. What would twenty assists be?
Speaker 2: That's a good question, great question saved. Think it over, think it over for tray, have something tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I'm not a passer task. There's ale to come up with something like this.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to tweet of the night.
Speaker 5: Tweet of the night.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: JD my man coming through always with the Monday tweet of the night. Yet all weekend?
Speaker 6: Which got your hat all weekend?
Speaker 5: It can't.
Speaker 6: It comes from yesterday actually, and it was the big story on everyone's mind is that the stage has been set for an epic showdown and it's one we've all been waiting for. We have a literal clash of titans coming. People are comparing it to Lebron versus Jordan in the NBA finals. I saw this quote on CNN. It's the meeting of the goat and his potential successor, and the fans are salivating at the prospect.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: I'm of course talking of God's Illa versus calm Be. The trailer dropped this weekend and uh, you know, I mean people are pumped. It's the King of Monsters versus the King of Kong's I guess King Kong. And there is an NBI a tie in here because Kevin Durant already calling it. I can't see Godzilla losing this match.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, but what did Katie think would Gregor fight heading in? Oh?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's a good, good question. I don't know, that's a bold prediction. I mean, Rebecca Hall, one of the actresses in the film, is she says it right in the trailer, Kong bows to know what?
Speaker 5: So, I mean that doesn't mean he's gonna win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, well, who would you who would you favor in this matchup? Oh?
Speaker 6: I know I'm going Kong for sure, going, I'm going Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it makes sense, like not having any idea what the actual story is, but like Kong is sort of like, oh, like Earth's right, did we make cong I don't know, I don't know. Anyway, he feels like he's on our side more than Godzilla. This like you know, Monster from the Sea.
Speaker 6: I guess you're right right by nuclear weapons, you know. But the but Godzilla was sort of a good guy in the end, wasn't he in the last film? I mean I can't remember. I think he was defending mankind and now and now I guess Godzilla is the bad guy if you live long enough to be the hero, you become the villain.
Speaker 5: Was that?
Speaker 3: How good?
Speaker 7: Something like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And then a quick addition here, since we were taught we were talking nicknames earlier and big dumb movies. The Athletics own Chris Kirshner with this hot news yesterday, John Collins shared that the Hawks training staff has given D'Angelo Hunter the nick megatron DeAndre.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what did I say, D'Angelo?
Speaker 6: Did I say D'Angelo? I'm literally reading it and the terrible at this I don't anyway, uh, he quickly corrected. It's actually he wants to be called optimists, not Megatron, So Megatron's better though, No, I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but Megatron was the nickname of a wide receiver at Calvin Johnson Football, So maybe it's like, has there been an Optimist before?
Speaker 6: I don't know there was? There was a Grimes, wasn't there optimist? Crime?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that a?
Speaker 6: Is that a basketball player?
Speaker 4: I think John Wall was optimist dime on basketball?
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah, you're right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe he just doesn't want to be the bad guy DeAndre Hunter. Let D'Angelo Hunter be Megatron.
Speaker 2: Well who do you just to circle back? Who do you like in the Godzilla versus Calm matchup, lely.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if you're talking a crocodile of us is as if it's on land, I mean, I guess the eight can can get on top of him and do the business there.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're like the like calm with a submission what round?
Speaker 3: That's probably what I'm saying. But if it's near the water, then the crocodile I think can take care of him, you know, So I think it favors which which home ground advantage you have there?
Speaker 5: What if?
Speaker 6: What if the crocodile can breathe fire?
Speaker 3: That's that that adds a new element I'll say, Yeah, I mean, like, get a hippo in there. Anyway, hippo would do the damage on both of those in a second. Hippos, you know, quick enough, strong enough can go on land, can go on water. So I hope there's a I hope whoever wins this in the next in the sequel takes on the hippo for the world.
Speaker 2: For the undisputed total. Yeah, the hippo's just waiting training exactly.
Speaker 3: It comes out wipe those two in a second.
Speaker 2: Leave it till Lee for me to ask him, who does he like in a God delivers is Calm match up to see, I'm like the hippo incredible, always amaze. All right, pick the results from Friday night. It was the Nets Calves game. The Nets were favored by nine and a half, had to win big, but the Calves got the victory. We probably would have had the Caves as a winner of the weekend if they didn't follow up their performance are on Friday Night by getting absolutely slacked by Gelen Brown and the Celtics there on Sunday. But anyway, good victory for Ley. You're nine and twelve. You had the Calves to cover and they got the victory. Like I said, so you're nine and twelve. Everybody else had the Nets. Everybody else got a loss. Tray's nine and twelve. Tass Is eight and thirteen. He's currently in last place, and I'm eleven and ten. A lot of games on tonight. Tasks which one we pick him from.
Speaker 5: We're going to the Celtics and the Bulls. The Celtics won by nearly forty on Sunday against the Calves. Chicago has won three of four, though, so you think this line would be a little bit smaller than it is at seven and a half, but the Bulls are getting seven and a half points, can lose by seven or less. Right, what do you think about that? You think are coming out straw?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Of course, tassy, that's way too big a line against the Chicago Bulls. Who has my good friend Tom Poro messaged me over the weekend are one hundred percent back. If you've got a yoga mat, you need to roll it out, laid down, check out the game with your no dunks, immacula items. The Bulls are back. They're keeping this one close and they're taking the wh.
Speaker 5: Is that Tommy Porol lying down there beside you?
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: Maybe he should get up and put his Christmas tree away. Come on, it's time man.
Speaker 4: Jeez Tommy, he's a festive man, celebrate year round.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you got the Bulls to cover obviously, you and Tommy Porol. What do you got, lely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Bulls were back until they ran into the Lakers, but they kept that one close enough too. Umm. No kemball Walker tonight, but Jason Tatum is back to the Celtics. Ooh, I the Bulls can cover though. I give me Chicago, Okay, tasks go ahead.
Speaker 5: I'm joining Tommy, joining Trey, I'm joining Lee. Give me the bulls.
Speaker 2: I'll swerve. Let's make this interesting. I'll take the Celtics. Oh yeah, dominant performance there on Sunday. Why can't they do it again? That's excited to hear Jason Tatums back in the mix there too. That could help. So I'll take the Celtics to win my eight. It's big line, feels a little big. I'm with you on that one. But everybody else has the bulls. Tommy poros bulls to cover. Put the tree away, Tommy actually put my Christmas stuff away yesterday, had already taken it down, but it had it all boxed up, just in the spare room, got it in the crawl space yesterday. Guys. It's finally out of sight, out of mind. But yeah, you're gonna get you got your trade down, Lely, I assume you do.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, it's so much fun putting the tree up. But then like by January second with it is like get these tree out of my face. I said, I want to move on from Christmas right away.
Speaker 5: Wow, what are you moving on too?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like no, it's just what you lead us to roxy when this January.
Speaker 3: Because it's it feels like sometimes that tree could be up until like now, you know, like January twenty or something.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, we've had friends of kept our tree up till like June to the brown.
Speaker 3: Subscribe, move on from it.
Speaker 2: You know that's a nice looking thing though sometimes Okay, I guess you're not very festive. That's fine, No, we are festive.
Speaker 3: Wallet's Christmas, but after the New Year's once New Years hit boom, move on.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, well well let's wrap it up then let's move on. No, you know this is like turn it into Christmas here on this podcast is keep emailing your questions and comments in for our next beach step in podcast No Dunks at the Athletic dot com. Like comment, subscribe to No Dunks on YouTube, grab your No Dunks merchan at no dunks dot com and subscribe to the Athletic for three ninety nine a month right now. Go to the Athletic dot com slash no dunks to sign up so they know that we sent you fun show here on a Monday. We'll be back on Tuesday with what you need to know from tasking Early in the morning, and then the Daily Show. Clipper Bros.
Speaker 4: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up.
Speaker 5: Love you guys awesome, Thank you so much for joining us. And remember the strong maple tree has sat Trey's friend has a last name Poro, and I'm thirsty, so I would love both those things in a sap porrow.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Wow was, Embrace the day, baby.
Speaker 6: You could stay.
Speaker 2: Every day.
Speaker 6: And Aggie happy every minute.
Speaker 2: It's been so long that YO wanna wait, It's happened already.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be grevy