Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of any trend.
Speaker 2: But you do you see how we did that? My name is Jack.
Speaker 1: That over there, well that is Miles and we are thrilled to be joined by super.
Speaker 2: Producer on a Hosey talking coms today have com com Day.
Speaker 3: I Love a rom com and Anna loves a rom com and Anna.
Speaker 2: Jackie hat Jack are you how are you? Are you ambivalent? Are you? You embraced them?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: My love movies, it is, that's true a genre of movie that I really fuck with. Yeah, Nodding Hill I've talked about, like my deep love for Nodding Hill. There's something about Mary I guess is not really a rom because I.
Speaker 2: Sound like you're lying about watching. Nodding Hill is one that I have seen. So yeah, grant one, Yeah those are cool.
Speaker 1: But anyways, Anna, you came to us and you pointed out that there is a ron com boom and that that seems to be the case. There's been a long trend that we've talked about on the show of people like not fucking in movies anymore, like not wanting sex sexual content in movies, like the the avengerfication of movies where everyone's like hot and shredded and not horny at all, and there seems to be a thawing of that trend maybe happening, it.
Speaker 3: Says, just to frame it, because we were talking about like the lack of sexiness. I think we were talking about that with Chelsea DeVante's a couple months ago. But there is a Guardian piece that said since the millennium, there's substantially less eerrotic content on our screens, with changing audience tastes and intimacy coordinators to blame.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: About how that fuck you The Guardian and that's a weird headline, but anyway says that the sex scenes have declined by forty percent, and that feels about right because we have noticed.
Speaker 2: That it's they're very not horny anymore, but not anymore.
Speaker 1: Prected scientists to watch every movie and be like, how many how many times did you you know were you aroused?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Not many, not many? But where do we go? Where do we start? Where did take us? Take us on this journey? Because we watched a couple of movies.
Speaker 1: We watched two movies specifically because those felt like sort of the most relevant and better offers that we have out there considering what's out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, you know, I had the opportunity to see the new and Hathaway rom com, the Idea of You. I got to go to an early screening at Amazon, which was pretty cool, and I you know what, it really took me back to a different era where you know, rom coms working or excuse me, should I say queen queen?
Speaker 2: Anyway, thank you, thank you queen.
Speaker 5: They took me back to an earlier era.
Speaker 1: Also because the main character has a landline in the film.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay, sure for sure. But I mean just like the era of like the How to Lose a Guy in ten Days thirteen going on thirty, these great rom coms that really, you know, these were like big budget studio movies. I mean they might not have been the biggest budget, but that at least they were studio films that went to theaters, right, and we got to enjoy them. It was literally content for women that we got to be like, oh fuck yeah, Kate Hudson, you fucking abuse Matthew McConaughey. You know, like that was the era, Like we loved those things. And they also here's the thing, they were well made, they were funny, they were entertaining. Like sometimes yeah, you go back and watch you're like, okay, this is odd. The same time you're like, but it still kind of hits, you know, sure, yeah it has ten things I hate about that movie iconic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it seems like.
Speaker 3: But we're still in that era too, of being like, remember how much ado about nothing? Or like remember this Taming of the Shree whatever Shakespeare thinks it has to be based on Shakespeare or else it is not art.
Speaker 4: She's all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly?
Speaker 4: Is that one based on.
Speaker 2: She's a Man?
Speaker 4: She's the Man is based off Yeah? Yeah, She's that is also pretty good too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also of the Shrew. It's just all yeah it who knows.
Speaker 1: But anyway, the idea of you is based on a novel that people really enjoyed, and there's a good interview that you sent for it to us that will link off to with the author who points out like this crazy double standard where like this would be considered a work of literature if the main character was a man, but because the main character is a woman, people are like, oh my god, such a cute you read, and like when readers like write to her. They're like, I don't normally like read this sort of thing. And people called it fan fiction, like Harry Styles fan Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's what they kept calling it, and the author was like, please stop reducing my work to fan fic when.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, it's not.
Speaker 4: This isn't a book that's based off Harry Styles. It's you know, yeah, it's also about the woman anyway. It's about like this woman reclaiming her sexual I mean, not even necessarily reclaiming her sexuality because she seems to be a sexual being, but being like, fuck it, I'm gonna fuck this pop star who's age and it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay girl, right, yeah that'll do is yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean like she was saying, like the books author was saying, like yeah, I was approaching forty and I was wondering, like, you know, why the fuck? Like the roles I'm going being offered are like these like, yeah, your life's over.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing. She's like, no, fucking you can get shit poppin after forty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the writer is an expert.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Robbin Lee Lee, Robin Lee. The idea of you is the Ann Hathaway. What's the guy's name? I don't I don't know, here's something.
Speaker 4: He's He's really everywhere right now, And I do actually have to google his name because it's kind of hard to.
Speaker 1: Take something like Galazini or something Nicholas Galaxyine Galaxy.
Speaker 4: Cholas Galazine, Gala sign galaxyin everywhere, the.
Speaker 1: End of that, because that makes it more met Gazin, Chicholas Galaxini.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh, he's everywhere. I feel like I've seen him in a bunch of stuff lately.
Speaker 2: In bottoms. Yeah, I remember, there's.
Speaker 4: That new show with Julianne Moore that he's in. But it is very much like they're trying to make fetch happen in a way. I mean, look, look, he's whatever. He's very handsome, he's very like he's like perfectly cast in this as the like pop star in this band called August Moon, which I thought was actually a good thing for the band.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, okay, some of the videos were like a little silly and felt a little bit like this, this is like a movie's version of a music video.
Speaker 2: But I doesn't.
Speaker 4: I feel like they kind of nailed it because some of the music I was like, oh, this is kind of a bop.
Speaker 2: I was like, who wrote this?
Speaker 4: I look up same people that wrote like one Directions music wrote it. He hired pop star writing, which I was like quite impressed by because I was like, oh, that's why these like hit in a way, because I'm listening to real pop music and it's been a while since I've listened to like boy band's music, Like I missed the whole one direction train, like I only recently discovered Harry Styles. Sorry I'm a loser, And all of a sudden, I'm like, oh, pop music's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about been.
Speaker 4: Doing all this time listening to James Blake and crying in my fucking rap fo, Like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: I could have this sacchers of hot Lakes.
Speaker 4: I mean seriously, I was like, I should be happier. Also, it's probably like the well Buttrin hitting and it's been like, girl, you.
Speaker 2: Like poprse embracing.
Speaker 4: Girl, Girl, you actually enjoy things.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, stuck, right, You're not this dark girl? Yeah pop on in but yeah.
Speaker 3: The the for people who don't know, just briefly, it's about a forty year old mom who's divorced who has a chance encounter with this pop megastar and then a romance goes from there and complicates things because this is also this guy is a member of the band of her daughter's favorite band, and that caused some little It happens to be there.
Speaker 1: Because it's like Coachella. She needs to take her teenage daughter to Coachella. Yeah, accidentally tries to pee in what she thinks is the bathroom, but it's actually his trailer. They have a chance encounter and are smitten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's or he becomes like obsessed with her and like comes and like seeks her out, and then at first she's like what the fuck? And then I do appreciate. She takes a moment to watch this really like terrible music video they do, which is like them dressed us as like dressed up as like school boy, and just goes like fuck it, I'm flying to New York to yes. Yeah, I'm fucking going like yes, yes, go ahead.
Speaker 1: It's it just came out. You can stream it on Prime right now. It's really good. I like my big thing. I don't I won't say it's a mistake, but like I am curious if they had cast the boy band role as one Harrison Styles, because I think he's start.
Speaker 4: Claiming in interviews, No not yeah, it's not.
Speaker 1: Well the author was like, stop saying it's fan fiction about Harry Styles, so it wasn't a possibility. I just think he's like I don't know. The lead actor was like solid, but I didn't think he was like incredible, And the just like raises the question you're kind of like when I tell people what it's about, I'm like, yeah, it's kind of the idea of like what if somebody, like you know, who's in their late thirty he fell in love with Harry Styles is kind of it's.
Speaker 2: It's Stella got her groove back. Yes, I mean.
Speaker 1: That I think they fucked up. Is like this should have been released in theaters. Like I can't believe they did released this in theaters. Holy Ship, And we'll talk about anyone but you the other rom com that we watched, But that thing fucking crushed, like destroyed at the theater. And it's anyone, oh, anyone but you.
Speaker 2: You destroyed like it maybe millions of dollars? Yeah, yeah, like why guy, they bought GM friend? Right? Wait, what was the TikTok trend for anyone?
Speaker 4: It's like people dancing at the end to that Natasha Ben written, I mean like here's something you want, a TikTok trend.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I mean for me, like I didn't think the movie was necessarily like groundbreaking or anything like that, but it felt I was nostalgic for it because it felt like peak late nine, these two thousands rom com where you're like, yes, this is a fun story and.
Speaker 3: You're like ooh yeah, oh sex, like we had all of those things. Uh, And for that, I was like they're hitting something there, because that is like a genre of movieses just like very like just easy to watch.
Speaker 2: It's fucking mindless.
Speaker 3: It's you know, there's a little bit of titillation and like some fantasy world ship where it's like, yeah, what would that be like if you get to go around Europe doing it up glamorous and live in this like you know, this celebrity adjacent lifestyle.
Speaker 2: I'd say nine out of ten on the tittle ish, Uh, how would you? Yeah? How how are we scoring the sex scenes?
Speaker 3: Do we?
Speaker 2: They were a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a lot of making out scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a making out I mean then yeah, but then there's like some cheesy stuff.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: I love the part like after they're like having sex like this, like the next scenes like this, dude's playing acoustic guitar and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Baby.
Speaker 1: I started doing that Now every time I'm in bed, I just like pull out the acoustic guitar. Unfortunately I can't play it.
Speaker 2: Out of the bedroom. Now you have to keep tuning this rock star.
Speaker 4: Baby, He's got to like write a song about this moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I really enjoyed it. I thought, like Miles said, it took me back to a different era. I'm like, here's the thing. Anne Hathaway, honey.
Speaker 2: Yeah still Hey.
Speaker 4: First of all, no, of course he wants to fuck Anne Hathaway, right, yeah, yeah, there's the shoulders alone. Girl. I was seeing so much Anne Hathaway's shoulder. I was like, am I.
Speaker 2: Trying to fuck an Hathway?
Speaker 4: It was incredible work.
Speaker 3: Well, Patrin, answer this question, am I like, well, Buttrin gave you like a digital assistant like Siri, Well, Beutrin.
Speaker 2: Do I want to fuck Anne Hathaway? Yes?
Speaker 4: Girl, you want to do everything.
Speaker 2: She's smoking. There's that one scene though, is so funny when she's like going there like hanging out at a pool and she notices like the other girlfriends of the other band members, and she sort of like gets self conscious, and you're like, Anne Hathaway, you're like fucking hot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've already seen that.
Speaker 1: Your body is incredible, like in the previous scene, like you're at the beach, just like incredible body.
Speaker 2: And then she has to be like, oh no, I'm gonna look bad.
Speaker 1: Next to these people who aren't next he's like twenty year old. Yeah, these people who don't happen to be the seven people who are as beautiful as me in the world.
Speaker 5: So none if this makes any.
Speaker 2: I will put I will Donne Denham calf Den to the to the.
Speaker 5: Jealous funny though I like the Denim calf Den.
Speaker 3: I think the other thing though too, like yeah, despite you know, like I said, it's not nothing groundbreaking or anything like that, but it's still it has that familiar the thing I love like because Her Majesty and I were watching it.
Speaker 2: Whenever we watch these, we always go a, right, what's the second act? What's going to be?
Speaker 3: Is it a jealous is it a jealous person in the orbit? Is it are we finding out he's a fuck boy? And they kind of did a good version of like blending sort of those two things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what I like too, Like I don't necessarily That's what I'm saying, Like I don't necessarily need anything groundbreaking aside from maybe like more diverse cast, you know, which maybe we can get to in talking about like sort of how this story even came to be. But yeah, other than that, like it it's like it's really no notes as like a rom com.
Speaker 2: It's just it's it's a solid it was.
Speaker 1: Kind of a good like uh issue that pops up in that he like tends to date older women and so like, yeah, he kind of has a type which I feel like would be a problem. And like that's the thing that I think I've seen on like Reddit, Am I the asshole or like something like that where someone's like, yeah, like I just found out my boyfriend like has dated five women who look exactly like me, Like you know what I mean, Like that's gotta be a weird kind of dehumanizing feeling, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, it's like, and you probably date a bunch of dudes that look like you know, like y, yeah, exactly have what we like it's like, it doesn't make your relationship any less than it just sort of means like, Okay, well you found the person that you like the most out of your time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what it is, Yes, I'm pen paling.
Speaker 4: We are as humans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm penn paling with another woman on death row. Okay, so what yes exactly, I know what I like, I know what I like.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's interesting. So the writer, Uh, Robin is Robin.
Speaker 4: I think so Robin.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's RB I in n E. We'll call her Rob Robin or Robin. I'm sorry I was talking.
Speaker 3: You know, she wrote a previous book and that had sort of like you know, black protagonists in it.
Speaker 2: And she had trouble getting interest in that one.
Speaker 3: And then so when she started writing this, she did the thing, unfortunately that some people have to do, especially people of color in this industry, be like I hearde a story about white people and they're.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, thank you, waiting for you to make that decision. Yeah, yeah, we didn't want to give that note.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean like, but that's what I'm hoping like with this obviously, maybe getting more momentum in the genre, we can.
Speaker 2: Begin to see something different because damn.
Speaker 3: Like this movie would have been interesting if it was just any other combination of characters other than Anne Hathaway and this Galaxyini guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but again, we just don't know his name Galax Sini.
Speaker 2: He is Galaxy, an Italian space traveler.
Speaker 4: Gazini Galazine, Galazine, Galine Galaxin Nicholas Galaxy. Okay, we do know his name. Look, I want to get invited to more screenings, so like.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, oh my god, we love it. This movie actually sucks. But on A told him we had to come on and this thing so she could keep going to school.
Speaker 4: Movie. I texted you guys, You're.
Speaker 2: Like, I have to come on. Yeah, yeah you did. You're like, we gotta talk about it.
Speaker 4: I've never been hornier. It's a hit. And the HR called me, which was sort of a whole thing, and I had to sort of get through that before I could come on here.
Speaker 1: But we copy the entire podcast division on training. But you know how it goes, Oh man, all right, we should take a break and come back and talk about anyone but you Yes, we'll be right back, and we're back. We're before we move off of the idea of you, I do have to talk about her ex husband is played by Dan from Deep The like real asshole, like young operative and in this one his name is Daniel. I was like, man, this guy has very specific range. His name must be Dan and it's not. He just like is type casts a guy named Dan read read Scott. Yeah, he's he absolutely nails this toxic masculine asshole.
Speaker 4: Husband who's like, hey, I know I left you for a younger woman, but come over for dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, have you heard of pickleball? Get the fuck out of my face? Miserable?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My favorite.
Speaker 3: The part that I laughed the most, and I think is when his like new partner Eva or whatever, like yeah, when he goes to confront her and he's got like the new car for the daughter.
Speaker 2: She's like hey, like I'm leaving him.
Speaker 1: She's like oh okay, and she's like do you want to get Thai food sometime?
Speaker 2: And athletes like absolutely not. It's like, okay, thank you.
Speaker 1: That's a I was like, what, Yeah, such a weird exchange, Like, hey, I got.
Speaker 4: It, girl, good for you fucking that young boy girl.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, But everybody is like that.
Speaker 1: Everyone is that that part is realistic, like a lot of people are just like, oh, hey, I have five Yeah.
Speaker 2: That woman, she's like that was my daughter's favorite person. Sho had a crush on her. She's just how was it? I was it?
Speaker 1: So I thought they were going to dig more into like the sinister side, and I'm glad that, Like I think they nailed it. But have you read like this shit about like K pop boy bands and like how closely they control who they're allowed to date and oh yeah right, yeah for sure wid groups. Yeah that's not that's like entertainment.
Speaker 4: Media and marketing and branding. But I mean, like here's the thing that's like a very dark side of the industry where certain people are put together to create a certain buzz in order to like blow them up. You know, like that's a very normal thing in our industry. Like people are just dating to be like we're dating.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 1: A little bit more realistic if like at least thirty percent of the headlines were just about how incredibly beautiful Anne Halfway was. Because all the headlines were like, yeah, yeah, like the remarkable about her is how amazingly beautiful she is, Like that would be the thing that most people would be like She's like, who is she?
Speaker 4: Yeah, ship, Yeah, she's a regular person.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and she's an Arsenal fan, so shout out to her. I gotta yeah.
Speaker 4: I think they both thought wasn't that thing? That's where they were both.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were doing a press for it, and like Arsenal score. She's like, who truss Hard? Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I think she probably got her into because he's British. I assume yeah. I don't know else she would have discovered it.
Speaker 5: Maybe she got him into it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I really got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyone never even heard of footing anything.
Speaker 4: But I will say really quickly. Uh so obviously spoiler alert were kind of been spoiling the movie. But go I would assume you've watched this movie. If not, skip like ahead, you know, thirty seconds. But the end where he comes back five years later, let's talk about that facial.
Speaker 2: Sho that fake, fake ass facial hair he had on his chin.
Speaker 3: I was like, that looked like that scene in Jackass where everyone shaves their arm pit hair and their pubes for danger air.
Speaker 4: And you just put some pubes on this poor board.
Speaker 2: Yes, that ship was I was like this.
Speaker 3: We were immediately like okay, so a fake some fake chin hair and longer hair makes him five years yeah whatever.
Speaker 1: Work or yeah he did look five years older. Though to me, they don't zoom in the second they revealed that hair. I was like, Oh, the one thing is that I thought they should have, you know, shot of him. He's there for her reverse shot of her and like she sees the facial hair and you kind of see her like gag a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, you old face.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, it's funny because I guess in the book they don't rekindle after.
Speaker 4: No, they don't end up together. I heard the book's really dark. I'm going to read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And in a way I kind of would have been down for that too of just being like, yeah, that was fun and that's kind of how life is.
Speaker 2: But I get it we also need to end on a happy ending. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's a Michael Showalter directed project, and I don't think he was trying to make like a dark, realistic break on what a relationship like that could be.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, are.
Speaker 1: There rom comms where the people don't end up together? I'm trying to think.
Speaker 2: Com I remember they don't big them.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, big kind of a little five hundred days of summer.
Speaker 2: Movies with lovers don't end up together.
Speaker 1: Don't call them lovers, Collider dot com You friends wedding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess they're not. My best friend's wedding.
Speaker 3: Her that's so brutal due to her because her exist lost in translation.
Speaker 5: Also on the uh A tone, all right, they have a very loose definition of.
Speaker 2: Anyone but you. This is Sydney sweety vehicle.
Speaker 4: Example of a great rom com that's dropped this year. And you know, one of the things I do want to say about rom coms is like, I think that us supporting these movies is important because the more we watch them and show these like studios and executives that were enjoying these, the more likely they're going to make more and potentially actually make really really great ones because they're open to the idea of reading people's scripts and taking them. So like, I fully support this rom com boom, like the don't call it a comeback, but it is a comeback. But us to see more rom coms. I want us to see more content made for women, because you know, we've seen in the last couple of years, like wherever you'd want to go see a rom com you'd have to go to like the Hallmark Channel and it wouldn't be like the greatest written thing. But that's just where we kept finding ourselves. You know, it's.
Speaker 2: Likesh doing some weird conservative shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like I think, you know the world views content made for women is less than and it's like a horrible sort of very real thing that like and you know, I think also the boom in sort of like fantasy romance books written by like Sarah J. Mass or like The Fourth Wing or Yeah, all these books that are coming out that are very popular show us that like, this content will sell, this content will be watched, Like you just need to give it the chance and make it and we will come a knock in. Okay.
Speaker 2: This is kind of thing though too.
Speaker 1: It's like, get off the fucking big budget bullshit, Like you can really obsessed with make rom coms, do these fucking things that don't take up seven hundred million dollars in budget, and just like play small ball with it and you're gonna find it to get more hits than fucking just being betting the farm on some flying fuck with a Cape movie. Yeah, we were talking yesterday about how like the lesson learned from you know, they're they're out of Avenger, like the Avengers gun is out of bullets. They're they're like, we're kind of fucked on this one other than you know, a handful of characters. So what we have to like make a new sort of blockbuster that we can churn out. And their takeaway from Barbie was like, what if we like made a movie with like Ken in it as an action hero because they like open Fall, Like I think Fall Guy looks fun, but like it just it does feel like their takeaway from this movie that's like about feminism is like, let's let's make Ken.
Speaker 2: They want action hero? What about that ten guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they truly fucked up with because, by the way, like for people voting with their wallets on rom coms, anyone but you mission accomplished guys that the thing was a massive international hit to the point that I truly feel like the makers of the idea of You are probably like, what did we do?
Speaker 5: How did we get this in theaters?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: I agree it should have been in theaters and anyone but you is I thought, really enjoyable film. It's funny, it's silly, the characters there's a great Australian character who look, we love a crazy Australian bro who's just like a good time guy, but everyone's threatened by him because of how handsome he is.
Speaker 5: Scene was my favorite joke in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeh fucking shark. Goddamn, Like, who is this guy? This came out of nowhere?
Speaker 4: It's so funny. It's just like nude half the time, just doesn't give a fuck, Like really great character. And you know what, I really enjoyed Glenn Pall and Sidney Sweeney in these roles. Uh yeah, more of that. Give us these big budget rom coms, like put these like great actors in act you know, like that are coming up. Put them in these movies.
Speaker 2: I'll watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's see again, this isn't It was just another easy, easy sipper. You know, you just watch it. Nothing too crazy. There's some laughs in there, there's some good.
Speaker 3: Like every I think that was the one thing I liked that anyone, but you at least stayed faithful to like at least having some funnier comic relief characters on the fringes. Yeah, like that's where idea of you felt a little more straightforward, like romance, like a romantic flick with with comedic sort of you know, comic relief here and there. But this one definitely had like, you know, fun bits and shit with like that Kings Kingman spider whoever that giant fucking spider was, and she's like looking up his ass.
Speaker 2: If there's more spiders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it just visually didn't make sense, but yeah it was just a funny.
Speaker 2: There's just some good funny shit in there. And I yeah it did the genre, did the genre right, I think. Also, yeah, Glen.
Speaker 4: That all went down while they were just looking at a koala.
Speaker 3: Yeah, justiping out on the koala, Like okay, yeah you can get Dermott mulroney.
Speaker 2: It had a little bit of.
Speaker 4: Dude Dermott flashback baby, Yeah for real, Well he was in my best friend's wedding.
Speaker 5: Yeah, is he the husband or the love my best friend's wedding?
Speaker 4: He's the best friend, isn't he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that's right Dermott remember, Yeah those were the days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those were the days. But yeah, again, like another movie, just super.
Speaker 1: Like again they're like it's much ado about nothing, but it's about a destination wedding and you then that's all you kind of need to again make a thing that reminds you of like peak romance comedy whatever from yesteryear.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you guys have watched Runaway Bride recently, but god damn, Julia Roberts and Richard Gear what a fucking oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't they try and put them back together in a thing recently? And it's just an epic failure because they're like.
Speaker 4: No, I thought it was Julia Roberts Ticket to Paradise Julia Roberts and George Clooney were together, which I heard that was good. I should watch that, man.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well there it is. Yeah, I again, Yeah, good stuff. I can't not, I I'm not. I don't watch rom coms too deeply to have like too much of a critical analysis. It's more like a thing that can you put it on? Does it keep your attention and you're not on your phone? And if yes, then success?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Does it make you feel it was.
Speaker 3: Way hornier anyone? But you was way hornier than idea of you? I would say that, Yeah, what's hornier than the idea of you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: They had more like it felt like more ninety like sort of sex scenes of Yesteryear kind of shit, like back when it's like p.
Speaker 2: Corny in a romance comedy or romance. But yeah, horny calendar the I have is that one horny?
Speaker 4: It's pretty horny. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw a headline but it was I think it was like on the front page of Drudge maybe, but it was like Zendaia in the Raunchiest movie Ever or something like that was like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Like ever? Yeah, I don't know, you.
Speaker 4: Know whatever his name is movie. So it's more of like an art film about tennis that also includes like a threesome energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people are getting back into the idea of sex and movies for.
Speaker 4: It's not even like it's not even like overt sex. It's all very much like hinted at. There's like tension and like you don't you don't ever see these people fucking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they give each other a kiss and then the camera pans over to the curtains like in the nineteen thirties, the pre Hayze Code sex scenes basically.
Speaker 4: But I mean I think that almost that does like I don't need to see full on intercourse.
Speaker 2: Right right, but you want to.
Speaker 1: It does its job what, Yeah, you want it to seem realistic, like in a way where it's like people don't talk to each other like that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes less is more, Yeah, in that sense for sure. But yeah, I definitely I want to see Challengers because you said that it's Trent Reznor Scorter, right, bro.
Speaker 4: Is it is so heavy on the techno every five minutes this whole show, this whole movie. It's like they're having a conversation, right, audio they stop talking, Audio cuts out, techno techno, techno, techno cuts out. It's quiet, intense, staring, techno cuts back in. It's like you're the whole movie you're I mean, I saw it in theaters, so maybe it was just like very loud and like in my business, but like I was stressed, right, Damn, I was shressed watching that movie because what no, Because I there was the techno was like laced over tennis and you're like, oh my god, yeah right, so there's all this other backstory behind everything that's going on, and you're.
Speaker 3: Just like, yeah, well, and and with them too, like Trent, when Trent Renisder and Atticus Ross do something like it's going to have that electronic feel, but there's such an undercurrent of tension, like think of the passion they did like the Watchman soundtrack, or like the Social Network.
Speaker 2: It's never just like, oh, this is fun.
Speaker 1: So I was like, this is fucking creepy, right beginning a social network, You're like, what the fuck is about to happen? Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember just like nine inch nails.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you remember like nine inch nail.
Speaker 4: Remember that that movie that band.
Speaker 1: How long the nails were they did to Jesus. So that's what it was called that.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: Why, that's what I heard in middle school, middle school thing, that's how long they did the nails was to Jesus. And that that's like the edgiest ship that you can say to like kids who like have been to Sunday School, Like.
Speaker 2: What they would name it? Like, now, God, why would he name it that? That's so scary?
Speaker 4: Okay, No, it says they he chose the name nine inch nails because it abbreviated easily rather than for any literal meaning.
Speaker 1: Okay, just like an I n baby and I am nine inch nails.
Speaker 4: Nothing to talk about.
Speaker 1: Well on A, I do appreciate you coming on. I do appreciate you recommending these movies it's been a while since I watched a rom com. They were both very enjoyable. Anyone but you very It's like B movie, but like a very well competently executed B movie rom com, the idea of you aspires to more. I think execute both really fun. I do take this as a victory in our ongoing conversation about movies versus TV. Movies are the superior medium, and you seem to be admitting that. So thank you for coming on and doing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's crazy what you just did the right there, and that's sort of what's wrong with this country. But yeah, I great movie. I recommend you all watch it. Check out anyone but you and the idea of you both are out, I think anyone but use on Netflix, the idea of Us on Amazon Prime. And also go watch those other rom comps, because I was like looking up rom coms on Netflix and I was like, there is so many. Go watch Lindsey Lohan in that weird ass I Irish Wish.
Speaker 3: Movies trash, but you have fun, enjoy it so trash, like you just have fun tearing it down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just go enjoy these movies for what they are and like they'll make more content for us like that if we can show them that it's worth a damn time.
Speaker 2: And we also just need comedies too. That's another genre that is fully dying out too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so wild, but yeah, but at lease keep them Horney, please keep keeping Harney. I'm shock how well anyone but you did though, Like that's bof obio. It did officially. I've been consulting with our producers and we can officially say it did.
Speaker 2: Boff O Bio.
Speaker 3: So okay, damn two hundred nineteen to almost two undred and twenty million.
Speaker 1: Yeah for a movie that I would say doesn't deserve that much. Like it, but it's not like, yo, this is amazing. It's like very by the books rom com and that's what. Yeah, like that that would if I was a Hollywood movie producer, maybe the lesson from Barbie would be like more movies that aren't that don't look down on women as an audience, uh and in fact are made by them.
Speaker 5: I don't know, crazy idea.
Speaker 4: That's wild.
Speaker 2: That's it all right, I went too far. I'm sorry, that's too crazy.
Speaker 5: On where can people find you? Follow you? All?
Speaker 2: That could stuff?
Speaker 4: I'm at selling hosts Nier on Instagram. Come follow me there. That is where I do most of my creative work.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, yeah, Miles Gray. Uh, just you know where fucking Miles Gray doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: Scrow Brian on Twitter or whatever.
Speaker 2: Fuck it.
Speaker 1: That's gonna do it for us this afternoon. We're back tomorrow morning with a who last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Bye and and read more smart.
Speaker 2: Thank you,