Speaker 1: The feeling of getting to Antarctica for the first time and seeing the landscape is the most amazing experience ever. We fly down on planes and we land on a runway that's made of ice, so when you step off, you're wearing all of your cold weather gear to keep you safe and warm in the cold environment. And the first time you step off the plane, the first breath that you take is so cold it almost almost hurts your lungs because you're not quite expecting it to be as cold as it is.
Speaker 2: That right there is engineer Maddie Jordan. Now, engineering is always fascinating, but especially so when you have to work in the coldest place on Earth. That's because Maddie works in Antarctica, where he builds and maintains all sorts of stuff from how to science labs for all the researchers who do incredible science down there, and he also enjoys hanging out with penguins. Welcome to Growing Up, the Lingo Kids podcast that encourages kids to dream big and discover who they want to be. Join us on an epic adventure to uncover the secrets behind awesome skills, cool hobbies and the incredible journeys of people who followed their dreams.
Speaker 3: This sand castle is huge, Emily. I love the walls, the towers and the little windows.
Speaker 2: We did a great job of Louise. Now, just a few more scoops of sand to make sure the base is really strong.
Speaker 3: There. No, Emily, it's still missing something.
Speaker 2: What's that, Louise, ha a flag on the tippy top there.
Speaker 3: Now it looks like a real castle. Now we can make the rest of the sand kingdom. Let's make houses and a little town with the bakery at the barber shop.
Speaker 2: And hold on, Louise. If a big wave comes, it'll crash the sand castle.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're right, we need.
Speaker 2: To protect it. Got any ideas?
Speaker 3: So we can't stop the waves? No, so what if we make a hole like around the whole castle?
Speaker 2: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: So when the water comes, it fills it up.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea, Louise. Instead of hitting the castle, the water will fill the We got it.
Speaker 3: Pass me that shovel, Emily.
Speaker 2: Here you go like this, Emily, it looks like a circle. All right. Oh, watch out for that wave, Louise.
Speaker 3: Whoa, that was close, Emily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that circle you drew was a great idea. Sounds like you were thinking just like an engineer, Louise.
Speaker 3: An engineer, yep.
Speaker 2: An engineer is someone who tries to solve problems. For example, we just had a problem, which was how to make water not hit the castle, and you came up with a solution.
Speaker 3: Oh, I get it. So if I'd lose a toy and I find it, then I'm an engineer.
Speaker 2: Well not quite, Louise. You see, in order to solve problems, engineers build things, just like you made that circle and the sand. Engineers are all around us.
Speaker 3: Really, where are they, Emily?
Speaker 2: Well see this water bottle I have right here. It was made by an engineer.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, And what about those beach houses over there?
Speaker 2: They were made by engineers too.
Speaker 3: In the car we got to go to the beach with.
Speaker 2: An engineer made the car and the road too. Engineering is all around us, Louise. That's why we're having an engineer on the grown up Talking Game show today.
Speaker 3: Really, no way, Please tell me it's someone who builds sand castles.
Speaker 2: Well, he does build things, but not from sand. He makes buildings on ice.
Speaker 3: Ice. No way.
Speaker 2: His name is Maddie Jordan. He's one of a kind because he works in the coldest place in the world. Very few engineers in the world get to be there.
Speaker 3: Where's that, Emily.
Speaker 2: It's called Antarctica and Tarctica.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: Antarctica is a very large continent made entirely of a and it's at the very south of our planet.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I see, But wait, if it's so cold, do many people live over there, Emily?
Speaker 2: Actually very few people do. In fact, it's the only place on Earth without countries. No one lives there full time.
Speaker 3: Wait does that mean the only people there are just visiting? That's right.
Speaker 2: The weather conditions are so harsh that the only people who go there go for work.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, Emily. But what are they working on there?
Speaker 2: Well, lots of scientists go there to study wildlife, you see. There's lots of animals in Antarctica, seals, birds, whales, and of course penguins.
Speaker 3: I love penguins, Emily. I wonder what it's like to be in the cold all the time.
Speaker 2: Speaking of cold, let's get some ice cream to cool off from this heat and get ready to talk to this Antarctic man.
Speaker 5: Sure, let's go. Oh brain freeze, Emily.
Speaker 3: Do you think living in Antarctica is like having a brain freeze all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't put it like that, but it is very cold and very dark. You see, groups of scientists go to Antarctica every year to study our planet's climate, and they need good places to stay while they're there. Imagine this, Louis. They can only stay there for nine months at a time because of the freezing cold and darkness.
Speaker 3: I've got chills just from thinking about it. How do they stay warm? Do they make a fire?
Speaker 2: Well that's where our guests comes in. These Antarctic visitors need light and heat, so engineers like Maddie build shelters for them to be safe. Isn't it great that he gets to work in one of the most special places on the planet.
Speaker 3: So Maddy gets to solve problems and build amazing things on ice.
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I have so many questions. Let's go.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our growing up talking game show. Please welcome our very special guest for today, Maddie Jordan, an engineer who's also a true Antarcticon. He's been called Antarctica's biggest influencer, and he's one of the few people in the world who gets to live in Antarctica for most of the year. Please welcome Maddie Jordan. So let's get to know each other a little better. Maddie, my first question is why did you become an engineer in Antarctica.
Speaker 1: I think for me this all kick started with being born in a place like Australia, where we have hot and dry summers. I was always used to spending my free time at the beach and I didn't actually say snow until I was nineteen years old, so I think that was one of the one of the drivers.
Speaker 3: That's so cool. I've only seen snow a couple of times. And as being an engineer in Antarctica any different than being an engineer anywhere else.
Speaker 4: There are a lot of things that we do need to consider.
Speaker 1: So generally, if you're building in a city, in a town somewhere, you usually have access to things like a hardware store or somewhere where you can go and get resupplies if you run out of nuts and bolts and things like that.
Speaker 4: But we can't do that in Antarctica.
Speaker 3: There's no stores in Antarctica. So what do you have to do? Do you bring everything with you exactly?
Speaker 1: We have to plan really well to make sure that we've got everything that we need. Another thing to consider is that we ultimately need to be self sufficient.
Speaker 3: Self suff self.
Speaker 2: Sufficient, self sufficient, you got it. Self sufficient means that you can have everything you need without outside I'd help.
Speaker 3: Oh it sounds like you're going through another planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you have food and water in Antarctica? Maddie.
Speaker 1: So we live in a place where we produce our own drinking water, where we need to treat all of our waste.
Speaker 4: We need to generate our own power.
Speaker 1: We actually take the sea water from the ocean, convert that to drinking water, and then that becomes the water that we use. So we have to think about everything that you would have basically in a small town to live and work safely.
Speaker 2: That's why engineers are so important in Antarctica.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they need to think of everything to live there. Maddie. I have a question. Have you ever seen penguins up close?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I just think they're the funniest and the silliest little animals.
Speaker 3: Oh oh that's so cool. I love penguins. What are they like? I love how they look like they're in suits all the time. Are they grumpy? Are they happy?
Speaker 1: So penguins are really, really funny. And I think the thing that fascinates me with penguins is that's just how curious they are.
Speaker 3: Really, what are they curious about?
Speaker 1: They're really interested in things that aren't quite normal for them. So I remember one occasion we saw some and they were a really long way away.
Speaker 3: Did you get closer?
Speaker 1: We've got some rules around how close we're allowed to approach them, so we need to stay more than ten meters away from the wildlife. But if we sit down and wait for the wildlife to approach us, then it's okay because the wildlife feels comfortable.
Speaker 2: That must be so magical, Maddie and I think it's always good to remind ourselves that we need to have a safe distance from wildlife so that we can respect their environment.
Speaker 3: So what happened with the penguins, Maddie.
Speaker 4: We just sat down and waited.
Speaker 1: About fifteen minutes later, they waddled over as they do, these great big emperor penguins, which can grow to one point two meters, which is about the same size as a young child, sort.
Speaker 4: Of like a five six seven year old child.
Speaker 3: That's almost my size, And my mom calls me a little penguins sometimes, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's because you're so curious all the time. I the Oh, that's sweet. And how do penguins express their curiosity, Maddie.
Speaker 1: So they come up really close and they look around, they give you a sniff. They might, you know, put their beat down on your boots or something like that, just to check out what this.
Speaker 4: Strange thing is.
Speaker 3: And what do they do next.
Speaker 4: Once they've come over and said hello, they just walk off.
Speaker 3: Working in Antarctica sounds great. You can hang out with the penguins and everything, except for the cold. I prefer the sunshine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the cold's definitely not for everyone. But Maddie, I understand you actually prefer to be an Antarctica during the winter when it's even colder. Why is that?
Speaker 1: My favorite thing in Antarctica was getting to spend the winter down there. Pretty much every day when I walked outside, I could see the Aurora, the Southern lights, Aurora Australis in the sky, and seeing the Milky Way and the moon, and just being in this environment with no light pollution, away from cities, with no noise.
Speaker 3: Wait, what was that aurora?
Speaker 2: Yes? Oh, there are these very beautiful bright lights that cover the night sky. When you're really close to the North or South Pole and the south they're known as the Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights.
Speaker 3: Oh like fireworks, No, I really want to go to Antarctica. I want to see them.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite things to do was just to go outside of my own lie down in the snow, look up at the sky and the stars and the aurora, and just be in an environment that's got no noise. There's no traffic, there's no people, you know, shouting, there's no conversations. You can just get away from it and hear complete silence.
Speaker 2: That sounds so amazing, Maddie. Oh, I'd love to see that. Now, tell us a little bit about your work down in Antarctica. What do you love the most about being an engineer there.
Speaker 1: We had a team of seventeen people at the research station that I was based at, Scott Base, and we were all working together to make sure that the base was ready for the upcoming summer. We essentially just make sure that the base is ready for when the scientists come back, that everything's stocked, resupplied, cleaned, so that when they get back there they're ready to just dive into their research and do the work.
Speaker 4: That they're doing, so we kept the lights on.
Speaker 2: So you basically make sure the buildings where you live and work are in good condition and properly heated. That's super important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you imagine if the heat didn't work, Maddie. I want to go to Antarctica and meet the penguins. How can I work there? Like you?
Speaker 1: I think for kids, there is a need for people to continue the research and the work that we do in Antarctica. So if there are kids out there that have an interest in biology, they can go and study penguins. If there are kids out there that have an interest in space, they can go and study physics and astrophysics in Antarctica. If people have an interest in ice or glaciers, they can go and study glaciology and antarctica.
Speaker 4: So there are many options.
Speaker 1: But I think now with kids that are growing up in twenty twenty four, they are the ones ultimately that are going to continue all of the amazing climate research and science that's happening to make the planet a better place to live in.
Speaker 2: Really, that's so inspiring. People with all sorts of interests can see this one of a kind place on Earth.
Speaker 3: I'm in for the penguins.
Speaker 2: So I just have one last question, Mattie. Where would you like your job to take you next?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a good question. I don't think I'm done with Antarctica. I think I will always stay involved in Antarctica in some way. I think for me, this is my passion, this is something that I love, and I don't I just can't see myself doing anything different. I think now that I found I found my passion, I found what I love, and I don't think I'm ever going to let it go.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for the wonderful chat, Maddie. Now it's game time.
Speaker 3: Yes, game on, Maddie. Today, I want to play this or that. So I'm just going to give you two options. You have to choose between the two of them, and then you can just choose as fast as you can whichever one you prefer. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Absolutely awesome?
Speaker 3: So first question, get to Intoxica by ship or by plane?
Speaker 1: I would rather go to Antarctic get by a plane because I get really seasick.
Speaker 3: Okay, perfect Number two. Summer or winter.
Speaker 1: I prefer the winter just because of the natural environment and the experiences that we get seeing the auroras and the stars, that for me is really special.
Speaker 3: Okay, next one, sea ice or land ice.
Speaker 1: Or that's that's a tough question because there are like multiple different forms of land ice. I'll say I prefer sea ice because that's where we see the penguins.
Speaker 3: Penguin team is my team. And speaking of which, next one, talking to penguins or talking to seals.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely the ability to talk to penguins. That for me would be the most amazing thing. I would love to know what's going on in the penguins brain.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Can I do the next one, Louise?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Emily Maddie, if you were walking around in Antarctica, would you prefer going to the deepest part of the ice or to the highest peak of an Antarctic mountain.
Speaker 1: I'd probably go to the highest peak of an Antarctic mountain. The tallest mountain in Antarctica is Vincent massif and I think the view from the top of that would be pretty spectacular.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Thanks for playing with us, Maddie.
Speaker 2: What do you think about being an Antarctic engineer, Louise.
Speaker 3: It's so cool being an engineer because you can solve so many different problems. You can build buildings, but also cars and help other people do what they love the most, like scientists and penguins.
Speaker 2: That's right. And what about Antarctica.
Speaker 3: Oh, Antarctica is one of the most magical places in the world. You get ice, lots of ice for ice cream, and you can help out scientists over there too.
Speaker 2: I totally want to go there someday.
Speaker 3: Me too, Emily. Oh, and we can see how to penguins you bet.
Speaker 2: Thanks for tagging along on this episode of Growing Up all about Antarctic engineering, exploring and building in the most remote place on Earth to solve problems and make the world a better place. Remember, little listener, dream big, and always stay curious. Luis, are you ready for more adventure? Wait there's more Yep, there is loads more to explore on the world's number one learning app for kids, Lingo Kids. It has tons of videos, games and podcasts just like this one, and every single one is fun and educational. Download the Lingo Kids app today for free.
Speaker 3: Laads can seen the side there based by paper of