Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Wednesday, Dan and The Dan Ed's Dan Patrick Show, make sure you go to danpatrick dot com. Garage sale going on danpatrick dot Com clearing out inventory, so a chance for some great deals as we clear out inventory for the spring. Panini America's sponsors are stat of the Day, the official trading cards of the DP Show. Iron Eagle was on the call at the Garden last night with Steph Curry and the Warriors, who have another game in New York. They play Brooklyn tomorrow night, then they go home for a seven game homestand I mean they start to put together a great run here and with Jimmy Butler. Now granted you're looking at teams saying when are you peaking? If you're Golden State, you'll peak whenever you can peak, because at the All Star break or around Christmas, we're like, what's going to happen with this team? Same with the Lakers. The Lakers are playing great. They roughed up inferior Pelican team. Although Zion played really well last night. He's played really well in the last month, but small sample size, but still, if you're the Pelicans, and you're looking at Zion Whims and I don't see him as a career Pelican. I don't know if his next contract would be in New Orleans. It doesn't feel that way, but I wonder where that franchise is headed. But with the Lakers, they could be headed to the NBA Finals, and you know, I wish they would have a bigger guy. I wish they had a big man. I mean, the thunder are going to be formidable. It's a very deep team. You're going to have a couple of those matchups where you go that team is a whole lot better. Because we tend to focus shows like this, the networks they focus on they're top heavy on a couple of teams. Therefore, that's why when you saw Minnesota, you know, like man, Minnesota is a good team going to the NBA Finals. Yes, But sometimes, like the Celtics, we sort of forgot about the Celtics because it's been a lot of love for the Cleveland Cavaliers. Now, do you believe in Cleveland when there's a seven game series, when you have to win a game on the road, Because that's what it's going to come down to. Boston's already proven this. Boston to me, should be the favorites to go back in either conference, but they're not. But I look at Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City's going to have one of those moments where SGA has to act.
Speaker 3: Like the MVP.
Speaker 2: Or somebody else has to. Because you can look back when Denver won the title, Joker was great, but Jamal Murray had one of those coming out parties where people forgot how good he could be. And they had they had depth, they had a really good bench. I mean, it's formulaic in my opinion, it's really rare when you go, boy, they won and they didn't check these boxes there. You got to play defense, You got to have a guy that you can go to when the game is on the lone and he doesn't melt. You got to win a game that maybe you're not supposed to win. I mean, there's a lot of different things, a lot of different factors that go into this. But I think the Lakers have the elements to be able to go back and win a championship. I truly feel that. But it comes down to Lebron and Luca. Luca and Lebron. Now everybody else has to figure out their roles because they didn't have this before. Luca and Lebron ball dominant. Now what's it mean for the other players? And while you probably are saying, well, I got to do a stand around and wait for them to throw you the ball, No, it's not as easy as that. Like you'll you'll have a role, and your role might be different than it was. And I think JJ Reddick's done a really good job with that and I think defining roles.
Speaker 3: So it's not open to interpretation.
Speaker 2: But those two, Like if I say, give me the best duo in the NBA right now, Jalen Brown, Jason Tatum certainly should come to mind. Joker, Jamal Murray, Jimmy Butler, Steph Curry, Like, where does Lebron and Luca rank of the best duos in the NBA? And I would put them as the best duo in the NBA because their battle Lebron is battle tested. There's nothing that is going to come up where he's going to go. I haven't seen that before. And he might be, you know, an influential figure when Luca. When Luca ends his career, he may look back and say, thank god, I got.
Speaker 3: Traded to the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Because I was around Lebron for X number of years, I got to see a professional and it's not to say And there was this smear campaign with Luca because you know the MAVs. Then there was a story that came out that hey, you know what, we also wanted to know if Minnesota wanted to swap Anthony Edwards for Luca Donchets, which I still go back to. If they called me and they all for Luca, I go, why are you offering him?
Speaker 3: Why? Why? And maybe there's more to the story.
Speaker 2: There probably is more to the story, but that'd be the first thing I'd say, Wait, is this a trick question?
Speaker 3: Like why do you want to get rid of this guy?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: That would raise eyebrows, But you know, the Lakers probably thought, if it's about conditioning, we got a guy who can and not babysit. But certainly Mentor and I think you're seeing that, like Luca injured his calf on Christmas Day, there was no real rush to get him back, or didn't feel like there was a real rush. Now, I don't know if anybody's brought up his calf, is that you know, does he have to sit down? Does minutes restriction because of his calf. And then you look at the MAVs now so Kyrie's out. I think they're going to shut down Anthony Davis. There's no reason to play him, play for a draft pick. But you know, you start to look at some of these teams that got better at the trade deadline, and Golden State is a different team because Jimmy Butler can compliment Draymond Green from the perspective of I can do all the little things. Steph can be Steph. I can I take care of the ball. You know, Golden State used to be top heavy with turnovers. You know, Jimmy Butler takes care of the ball. He goes to the free throw line, he plays really good defense. So you combine that, now you got to now it's a different team, a different feel to them.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: See, sometimes you're so good that nobody's really threatening you, and then you get into that first tough series and that's when you can be surprised. I hope SGA because he's going to win the MVP. He shouldn't, but he's going to. I hope he has a great playoff run because we always do this. Yeah, never should have won the MVP. Yeah, ask Lamar Jackson. No, he was great during SGA has been incredible during the regular season. But Joker's numbers are better than when he won the MVPs. It's scary. Here's a pass first guy who's averaging twenty nine again. If he stopped passing, nobody average. And I know there are a lot of guys averaging twenty nine, thirty thirty one. You know it's guys are scoring points, but guys aren't putting up assist numbers like he is. He's averaging a triple double. Now I know that we're numb to it. Not a big deal anymore, but it should be because of the assist numbers. You have a seven foot guy who's averaging what eleven assists again, twelve rebounds, twenty nine points. He shoots great from three point right now, his numbers are better. He shoots forty four percent from three point range. It's the best he's ever shot. But I think there is voter fatigue. I think it's real. And this is where the get off my lawn guy comes out because he doesn't want somebody to get more MVPs than Well, he's not better than Larry Bird. He can't have more MVPs than Larry. He can, Yeah, he can. I mean, it's not Joker's fault. Bird got hurt in fact.
Speaker 3: On this date.
Speaker 2: I think back in the eighties, didn't he have a fusion surgery for his back, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that was the big thing with Joke is not winning his third straight MVP. Lebron James and Michael Jordan neither of them won through straight MVPs, and they're thinking to themselves, those two didn't win through straight MVPs. There's no way this kind he can win through straight MVPs.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety three, Larry Bird undergo back fusion surgery on this day and he just couldn't stay healthy and the way he played, couldn't stay healthy. But if you said at age thirty you could have Larry or Lebron at age thirty, I would have taken Larry over Lebron. Now, over the length of the career, certainly you're taking Lebron. But it's how great were you when you were great? That's always fun when you look at a window and you go, yeah, well you know it was you know, you always had magic with Larry and vice versa. But there were times when they had those windows. You know what magic did is rookie year. I mean it was spectacular. You go from a national championship to an NBA championship. They'd never seen anything like that. But that's the fun part of it, where you're seeing these players and I hold on for dear life with Durant Lebron in steadf. Now there's a new wave coming. But this opportunity, as I said during the Olympics, when I watched them on the floor, you had all this young talent on the bench and I was I'm not going to say it was emotional, but it was really rewarding for me to watch them as great as they are in that moment. Those were the guys Steve Kerr wanted on the floor with the ball and what a what a tribute a testament to them when you have all this young talent and it's not about who's got the talent, it's those guys know what they're doing when they need to do it. And Steph you can look like Steph has had great moments in his career, Like where does the Olympics fit in with great moments in his career? Because that is global We talk about the NBA being global. That was truly global. It's live worldwide, and all of a sudden you're learning curse words in French. You know, like, wow, they're mad at him.
Speaker 3: He was so great, so great.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Pulling that last five minute stretch by Curry and the Olympics, it was dizzying you're watching in it. It felt like that's not what human beings do. He's the only human who could have done that.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, and he had he had one shot where you go, I don't know how he got that shot off. I have no idea but to be able to see that, and you know, you miss him. I mean I miss seeing Bird play. I miss seeing Magic play certainly. My you know all these great players because you take it for granted and then all of a sudden, it's gone, It's done.
Speaker 3: Yeah man, Yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 4: Is nineteen eighty six, Larry Bird one of the greatest players you've ever seen, like just that one year. Yeah, like in real time, did you guys know what you guys were witnessing with Magic and Bird? Like in real time? I know there wasn't all these sports shows and debate shows and stuff like that, but did you guys know in eighty five, eighty six, eighty seven, like these guys are two of the greatest that have ever done it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because it felt like there was really a there were two great players, transcendent players, and then there were really good players underneath Bird and Magic. But what Larry did back to back to back and I'm curious, Bill Simmons documentary on the Celtics looking back on that, I mean, Larry's the baddest guy on the planet. He was and brought up interesting debates between races where you know, Magic's better, No, Larry's better. Spike Lee has this in one of his movies, might have been Crooklyn or one of those where they're arguing over you know, Larry Bird or Magic Johnson. You did have those discussions, and they would have that now on first take or any of these other shows, like who's better Magic Larry Now? And it was depending on the week or the month or the year, you could say, no, it's Magic, No, it's Larry. But Larry had a run there that you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who was better than him over a three year period. Statistically, it might you could find people, but that's where you saw great great players, and the Celtics were a running team back then. You wouldn't think that McHale and Parrish and Bird, even DJ Dan Danny Ainge's probably the best athlete in the starting five.
Speaker 3: But they ran. They had fast breaks, Larry out on the break. You're like, I thought, that's magic. That's what they did, yes, bawling.
Speaker 6: When they were rookies, Larry Bird won Rookie of the Year. Magic finished second. Nobody else in the league got to vote. Larry got sixty three votes, Magic got three. Not one other player got a Rookie of the Year vote. Another thing for Larry Bird, starting with age twenty four to thirty two, he either finished first, second, or third in the MVP voting.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember voter fatigue. Now, I wasn't a voter back then, but I did go. I did see all three of Larry's championships, and I got to go to the guard. I was there when Magic hit the skyhook. You know he was going to win another one. But I I just remember at that time that was some great, great basketball, and they were loaded.
Speaker 3: Both of those teams.
Speaker 2: You know, you look at the Laker team and coming off the bench, you know, that that wasn't a negative. Bob McAdoo was one of my favorite players. You know, you just it was fun, fun basketball, But they both moved. It wasn't you know, sort of half court offense, even though they could play that as well.
Speaker 3: All right, taking a trip down memory lane.
Speaker 2: We're living in the let's go I know, I know, a long winded way of saying, appreciate Lebron and Steph and Katie Katie. Last night and the Suns came back to beat the Clippers. I think they were down what fifteen or nineteen going in the final quarter. You know, three of the greatest players scores of all time right in front of us.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Mark, three generational players in the same generation.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, they are all doing it differently, all do it differently.
Speaker 3: All right, take a break.
Speaker 2: Iron Eagle was on the call with Steph Curry at the Garden and we'll talk to him about that experience last night. More phone calls as well. We'll take a break back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen.
Speaker 3: Live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the store reason in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I still have been seeing the led Zeppelin movie. It's in movie theaters now. Now I should see it like an Imax theater to be able to see that. One of my favorite bands, probably my favorite band growing up. Steph Curry last night leading the Golden State Warriors to another win. They play Brooklyn tomorrow night, then a seven game homestand after that. Here is Steph on the magic of playing at Madison Square Garden.
Speaker 5: This massive square garden. It speaks for itself.
Speaker 8: This is a place that brings it just naturally has great, unique, authentic basketball energy, and like the fans are unreal, like the Who's who a celebrity rolling on that, but just everybody's anticipating great basketball. And from my first game here in college to now, I guess always delivered. So H and for us on the Western Conference, we'll only get one chance here and I'm trying to take to make the most of it.
Speaker 2: And they did. Iron Eagle was on the call t NT Nicks Warriors. What is it about the garden and why is it different?
Speaker 9: There is a palpable buzz before the game even starts, and it's nothing that's being pumped through the speakers. It's not artificial in any way. It's real. There is something special and unique about it. Even during the lean years, you would go into the garden and maybe just the way the arena in captures the sound, it just bounces in a certain manner, so as the game was about to get going, you could feel it. You could feel that that energy. It's tangible and I know what Steph is saying. It is special for him, and he makes it even more special when he's there because it creates an added layer of electricity.
Speaker 3: How do you know when you've done a good job doing a game?
Speaker 9: I know, I know if I've covered the storylines. I know if I've met the moment. I know if I've hit the right beats. I think it's based on just doing so many games. There's a way to view it. For me, the amount of games that I do helps me because it keeps me in that mindset.
Speaker 5: It keeps me locked in.
Speaker 9: I don't ever drop off because I'm not off for three weeks and then I got to get back into it. I'm doing sometimes five games in a week, and there's a certain standard that comes with that. You want to do your best. It doesn't matter if it's a Wednesday night for a local Nets Washington game, or a Thursday night for a Big Lakers Boston game, or a Sunday in the NFL, or a Thursday night on the radio, it doesn't matter. You just get to a point where you can gauge it in the moment if you're doing your job correctly and you're hitting all the high notes.
Speaker 2: I still find it interesting that when a player or team plays New York, they're playing the Garden. They're not playing the Knicks. Yeah, they're playing the Garden. I don't know if we do that at any other venue or any other sport. Can you think of anything where you go now it used to be the Garden, Boston Garden, Yeah, you know, then it became like the Fleet Center and TD Bank and so kind of lost a little bit, you know, playing the Crypt, maybe the Forum. Yeah, great Western form. But I don't know if there's any like Fenway. You don't say, oh, you're playing Fenway, you're playing the Red Sox. Even Yankee Stadium is not the original Yankee Stadium, even though the Garden's not the original Garden. But yeah, you're playing the Garden as opposed to it it's like you're a musical group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're on tour and then we play the Garden.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Billy Joel is no longer doing it once a month, But you're right, Billy Joel is playing the Garden and the Warriors were playing the Garden. I don't know if it's an extension of Broadway in some way that you're in New York and it's this historic venue. You're right about the ever changing names. That is a part of it that chips away at the mystique a bit. I remember I did a game years ago NFL on CBS game in Oakland, and at that point it was a revolving of names. And literally, I'm not exaggerating. Dan fifteen minutes before kickoff, someone I'm not sure if they were affiliated with the Raiders or the state. They walk in, they hand me a sheet of paper and they say, hey, just to let you know we're going by this now. Fifteen minutes before the game, I go theod dot co what is this? And that takes away from from the sense of place and the sense of history.
Speaker 5: You're right, even with the Boston Garden.
Speaker 9: Once they went down that road, the Boston Garden became a thing of the past, and now you've got to rack your brain and say, what.
Speaker 5: Is it now? Is it TD Garden?
Speaker 9: It's still Madison Square Garden, named after by the way, James Madison, the former president. That was the connection. I was going to use that over the weekend in regards to the Saint John's Seed Hall game and make the point that Bill Raftery was actually classmates with James and that he knew him quite well.
Speaker 5: But we never got there.
Speaker 2: Who is more unexplainable? Steph Curry's successor Lebron's Steph Curry. Steph Curry, he was the number seven pick in the draft. There were major questions as to whether or not his style and approach would translate.
Speaker 5: To the NBA.
Speaker 9: Would he get his shot off, Like, think about that for a moment. If we go back and check the scouting reports, it would say great three point shooter, creative offensive player. But will the NBA be too physical for him? Is he big enough to handle the wear and tear of the NBA. Those were questions coming out of Davidson. That was the other part of it. He was coming out of Davidson. He was not coming out of Duke. His brother had gone from Liberty to Duke. So you saw him on a bigger stage and thought, Okay, he can do it, it'll translate.
Speaker 5: And obviously he's had a nice career.
Speaker 9: Steph has had an all time career, and I think at this stage the rejuvenation that we're seeing with Jimmy Butler now on the team, Dan, I'm sensing that there's even a greater appreciation for Steph than ever before. Because as you see these incredible athletes hit the NBA, these physical specimens, these adonises, Steph, it just feels like he could be anybody. And he's obviously a terrific athlete and he's in great shape, but he would blend in if he didn't know who he was, and that's part of the charm of it.
Speaker 5: This guy is.
Speaker 9: Doing it in a manner that I don't know if we're gonna see it again the way he does it. And just again Dan my experience, they're playing in Brooklyn, so I'm going to see this for the second time this week. I just happened to walk out onto the court of my broadcast location as he was going through his warm up, and the groundswell of people that want to watch him warm up, warm up.
Speaker 5: That to me says.
Speaker 9: Everything you need to know that there is a special quality and people realize that this is just something a little different. This is just not a normal NBA player.
Speaker 2: He's an Eagle. He was on the call last night TNT Warriors Knicks. He's got the Warriors' nets tomorrow night, and then Michigan, Michigan State coming up on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: That is right? Thank you.
Speaker 9: I didn't know where I was going until you mentioned it, so I'd better book that flight.
Speaker 2: Is there a backup plan in case you can't show up at a game.
Speaker 5: It's a hologram. We've worked that out.
Speaker 9: They have a soundboard of all my calls and then they just project me onto the screen. We're actually trying to do that with RAF at this point. We don't even need him to be at the games. We just have onions on a loop, to the order on a loop, and then you're good.
Speaker 5: You're good to go for the tournament.
Speaker 2: Bill Raftery is and people will find him entertaining on a game. He's a million times more entertaining when he's not doing a game. And that's saying a lot. But the first time I met Raf. I was in Atlanta, Craig Sager's bar, Jocks and Jill, that's right, And I just got through. I was working at CNN and I went over to Seger's bar. I come in and Raf has the corner of the bar. As you walk in the corner of the bar, there had to be twenty five beers, and he had ordered twenty five beers. Yes, and it was just if you came up to talk to him, just grab a beer. That's first time I met him, and I mean, he is a delight.
Speaker 5: Can I interject one thing to him?
Speaker 9: Because it just spurred a memory of mine. We were in Seattle for a net game and we ended up going to dinner, large group, and then the group got a little smaller. We went out to a bar afterwards, and we got to the bar, and literally ten minutes into our stay at the bar, they call out last call, and I see, like Bill's whole demeanor change in that moment, and he just leaves the group and he goes to the bar and he obviously gets in an order for last call, and normally last call what ends up happening.
Speaker 5: They still let you hang around a little bit. They did not they kick us out of this bar. We spill out into the street.
Speaker 9: It's not even that laid out, and Bill's a bit upset about it, and I understand they cut off his evening. So he's wearing a long trench coat. And we get outside now and our director who passed away, great guy, Dave Hagen. He shows us that he snuck one beer out to the street and all laugh, Oh, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Rap opens his trench coat.
Speaker 9: He has eight years, but he has snuck out two in eg side pocket, two on the interior in his pants.
Speaker 5: This guy is at another level.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering. I brought this up when I interviewed Sonny vccaro. I said, I hope that he would get into Basketball Hall of Fame contributions to the game. And they're certain like Dick VII tow contributions and Bill Raftery, yes, you know, because he was a former college coach. He's in, Yeah, but to have but Sonny Vaccaro is not Yeah. And I don't know if we look at the shoe business and the CD under belly of this and that's like he had contributions to the game. He signed Michael Jordan, he signed Kobe almost signed Lebron and you got these coaches who got paid. I mean, he changed college basketball. You may say, maybe not for the better, but where do you stand on contributions to the game and you know people getting inducted.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he should be in. He should be in. He played a large role in the development of the game.
Speaker 9: And you're right, there were some things happening that nobody was completely aware of and it changed the sport. But it was inevitable. If it wasn't him, it was going to be somebody else. I do think the fact that he had a big personality was a big part of what made college basketball what it was, and I don't know if that's lost now a little bit. Just like everything in life, as it goes to a different level financially, business wise, commerce, you lose a little bit of what made it so special. But the personalities made college basketball, coaching personalities, behind the scenes, broadcasting personality larger than live Dick Vitale We'll obviously played a big role Raff as you mentioned, and I think it is a little bit of a lost art now when it comes to sports because it's much more corporate and we're not going to have that kind of Viscer rule reaction like we used to have to people that had the impact that that Sonny had. He he belongs in there, no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on Rick Patino still make it. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: He's He's on the short list of greatest basketball coaches of all time. I mean really, you know the Celtics, he couldn't control the roster, didn't get Tim Duncan, but every place like we plugged him in at Iona and we thought, oh, that's a cute loy story.
Speaker 5: And he wins any way, Dan, he wins. This is who he is.
Speaker 9: And as the rules have changed, look, he's adapted to them. He recognized way back when you may have to do things in your way in a certain manner and maybe a bended when the situation calls for it. I think that Rick was so far ahead of his time in the eighties that eventually others picked up on it and figured it out. But the thing about Rick that still strikes me to this day is he always adjusts. He's just a great coach. He's an incredible motivator, He's a tremendous tactician. His x's and o's are through the roof He's smart. He gets it. He understands the media side of it. He gets all of it, and you could find great coaches that get some of it. He understands every aspect of this job and the fact that he's done it so quickly. At Saint John's, I was at the garden this past weekend. It was sold out. Dan, it is a happening again. You have to go back really to my youth in the eighties when it felt like this around New York. They've had good teams, they've had competitive teams, they haven't had this, they haven't had this kind of buzz and this kind of chain reaction in the city. And it's Rick that's done it.
Speaker 2: Safe travels to Brooklyn tomorrow for the ban, Thank you for the nets, tilt Tree with Golden State, and then and then just to let you know, on Sunday, you have to do Michigan and Michigan State. Hold on, let me Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan that is in east Land, Lansing.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: And they they got a player, you know, Jason Richardson's son, Jase. He might be a top five pick in the in the draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I had them earlier this season at the Garden against Rutgers, he was coming off the bench. He is not coming off the bench.
Speaker 2: How do you explain Rutgers will have two of the top four players drafted and may not make the tournament.
Speaker 9: Yeah, chemistry means so much. You play basketball growing up, it was important to you. I'm sure there were years where you thought, oh, man, we have great individual talent and then it didn't fit. Unfortunately, it just doesn't fit or it doesn't translate into wins. But you're gonna hear about those two guys, Harper and Bailey for a long time because they're going to play in the NBA for a long time.
Speaker 5: But they're going to look back at.
Speaker 9: The fact that they didn't take advantage of the opportunity in college and there's nothing they can do about it.
Speaker 2: Like Ben Simmons didn't make the tournament at L make the tournament yep.
Speaker 9: At LSU, I actually had a game of his his freshman year.
Speaker 5: I was wowed by his skill set. Their team just wasn't that good.
Speaker 2: Tell tom Izzo, I said, alot, I will, Yeah, I will, He's great. Tell him I sett alone done. I will say it. Tell him it's you know, getting about that time that maybe steps down and lets somebody else. I'm not gonna say that, No, don't don't, don't say Hey, Dan Patrick.
Speaker 5: Says hello, and maybe it's time to step aside.
Speaker 3: He would appreciate it, he's got to say probably.
Speaker 2: Of course I'm going to deny it when he says, you can produce, all right, thanks, all right, that's Iron Eagle or Ian Eigel.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 2: He did the next game last night, and you go from the garden to Berkley's in Brooklyn, It's going to be a whole different vibe there for that game tomorrow night. Uh, Matthew and la Hey, matt what do you have for me today?
Speaker 11: DP? Longtime, first time you were talking about Steph and his Olympic performance, which I think topped his NBA championships. He saved a country. A recommendation for you. Court of Gold on Netflix. It is amazing all the superstars that are in there. You got Patum patom ripping his France team, Jokich going at his team really really well done. I agree with you the emotional aspect of Kerr leaving all of our quote unquote avengers out there are superstars. The shot over France, the three point barrage by staff against Serbia. It was really really amazing and the documentary is welcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Marvin talked about it like you got true passion out of players and it you can't help. But you know, gosh, I wish they had that passion with their day job, and you know, it's trying to do it every single night. You're playing for your country. And you see that Joker winning a bronze felt more important than winning an NBA title to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, poon Er, Uh, Marvin, Yes, because Joker didn't grow up in Denver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it means a lot more to him to play with his countryman, guys he's probably played with since he was fourteen to fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: Well, take a break, glass, Garlf for phone calls, What we learn, what's in store tomorrow, this day in sports history.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp OH.
Speaker 2: One of our favorites, Jim Jackson, orm NBA player now an analyst. He'll join us coming up tomorrow. Last call for phone calls. What we learn Once in store tomorrow. All of that forthcoming. I mentioned this earlier, it is worthy of mentioning it again. DraftKings the betting lines on which team will have the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft. Two days ago it was Tennessee Tennessee by a good margin over the Giants. Now two days later, the Titans and Giants both have the same odds to have the number one overall pick. New York's moving up? Are they moving up to take cam Ward? Certainly feels that way. Stat of the Day has been brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. James in Virginia. Hi, James, how are you, buddy?
Speaker 10: No body, let's go boys. Shout out to Budha, San Francisco man, thanks for taking my call. Brother. Happy Wednesday, DP damn it. You know the best thing I like about the Devot Traders. It shows Washington fans that they are going all the way for twenty twenty five. I hope to see Devon Adams and Miles there down the road. We'll see how it goes. But I love the conversation today, guys. I'll tell you what for me. The best Baseball movie All Time is nostalgic, stam lot all day every day, sit down and watch them whatever. And one last thing, crazy man. I went into a movie theater with a girl. She said, you want to go see this new Jamie Foxx movie. I'm like, yeah, I love Jamie. Push and Lena to say. We were the minorities in the group and it was Jane Go and in the first couple of minutes you find out real fast with that movie's about great movie. But Botley caught off guard.
Speaker 5: She was the minority in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's what your folks, Yeah, if you if they heard you speaking, James, you know, if the theater's dark, then they're not gonna be able to see you. And they'd be like, all right, lights come on and they're like, whoa you hear Oh hell.
Speaker 3: No, that's right, brother, I hear you. Oh hell now?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 3: Brent in des Moin, Hey, Brent.
Speaker 11: Good morning, sir, five nine one sixty five.
Speaker 12: Okay, I've kind of been waiting for the right morning to ask you to rank three shows in order, number one, of course being the best. I do think I know how you'll answer it, but I'm curious to hear your answer. So the three shows, in no particular order are The Wire, Ozark, and Breaking Bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, you want to tell me your guests on my top three, sure I will.
Speaker 12: I don't have to, But if you want to just tell me yours, that's fine too.
Speaker 11: But I'll tell you my guest if you'd like.
Speaker 12: Okay, So I think you're going Breaking Bad Ozark in a wire.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me see. I think it's really close.
Speaker 2: I would say Breaking Bad, then I would do the Wire, and then I would do Ozark. There's no wrong order on this. But like Breaking Bad, was a chemistry teacher who had cancer and all of a sudden became this drug lord. You imagine pitching that, okay, And they always talk about an elevator pitch that you should be able to make your pitch while the elevator is. You're talking to somebody on an elevator, so you're, you know, starting on the first floor and you're going up to the ninth floor. I got I got nine floors to get my pitch. So just like what I did, Uh, chemistry teacher, he's got cancer and he wants to make money for his family. When he dies, he becomes a drug lord. That's it. We're not even at the fourth floor yet, and then all of a sudden they pull it off the wire felt like that was it was voyeuristic. The first season, You're you're like closed circuit cameras watching a neighborhood, watching everything that was going on. Ozark was just you know, And a lot of these shows, and certainly this was with Breaking Bad. What can they get into that the writers have to write a script to get them out of it? Felt like every episode, you go, He's never going to get out of this, And the same with Jason Bateman and Ozark. Marty Byrd's How's he going to get out of this? And I always found that fascinating that, yes, the actors have to pull this off, but the writers and what they did awesome.
Speaker 3: This Dane Sports History Paul.
Speaker 6: Nineteen sixty four, the NFL purchased Blair Motion Pictures, which was renamed NFL Films was owned by Ed Sable and his family. Wow nineteen ninety four, Michael Adams of the Washington Bullets at the time became the third player in NBA history to hit nine hundred career three point field goals. Right now, there's over two hundred players in their career who've hit over nine hundred career threes.
Speaker 2: Michael Adams one of the ugliest shots in NBA history. But hey, you knew how to play? Was he Boston College? Michael Adams?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's some of those guys that you watch and you go, I don't know how they did it, but they did it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: It's truly it's like batting stances, your shot or how you pitch. They're just uniqueness there and I always had great appreciation for that. On this date, in nineteen seventy three, the Yankee pitchers Mike Kekech and Fritz Peterson announced that they were trading wives. They also traded children, and they traded the family dogs.
Speaker 3: True story.
Speaker 2: We had Matt Damon on the show a while ago, and I did ask him because I think there was a time when Matt Damon and Ben Affleck were looking at purchasing the rights or developing that moving because okay, once again two players trading lives, trading children, trading dogs. I think one of the couples stayed together for quite some time.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paulieu Aflic and Damon bought the rights to it in twenty fifteen. Nothing has come of it yet.
Speaker 2: Who brings that up? But about swapping, yes, I don't. I don't know. That's why we need.
Speaker 3: A movie now.
Speaker 6: Those mortgage rates are really hitting them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. I think you could just do a family vacation. I don't think I need to take your wife and your kids and your dog. Now, how about we take a test drive here? Todd, what did I learn today?
Speaker 3: When he's not pitching, Justin Erlo plays a lot of chess with his new Giants teammates.
Speaker 2: Tire rack dot com the official tire expert of the DP show. Go to tyrack dot com. Slash Dan tried the Tire Decision Guide, full lineup of Firestone tires, special offers, free Roadhanzard Action, mobile tire installation. Tire rec dot com the way tire buying should. Have a great day, everybody. We will talk to you tomorrow