Speaker 1: On this episode of the Heat Check, it's been forever. I got a big personal announcement which impacts the Heat Check moving forward.
Speaker 2: After that, I'll get into the latest offseason.
Speaker 1: News from around the league, and folks, that's crickets out there.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, not much happening.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I saw Jokic chase a little boy that was related to Goran Dragicic and that made my weak.
Speaker 2: Luca and Paolo are in China.
Speaker 1: Apparently Powlo's like the third best want power forward in the league right now according to some list.
Speaker 2: Not much happening.
Speaker 1: Bron Aunt, Tatum, Domus Butler are doing the starting five for Netflix.
Speaker 2: Which is like a horrible name.
Speaker 1: And I'm just here trying to rebuild my mama's garage successfully and unsuccessfully at the same damn time.
Speaker 2: So Anthony, you keep being a success. That motherfucker should be Rehonna.
Speaker 1: But Odyssey is too cheap to pay for the rights. Yes, maybe we'll go back to the beat. Hey, everybody, a long time vacation.
Speaker 2: I've been all over the place. I've been in Portland working rehab in my mom's house.
Speaker 1: If you're interested in following along, follow along on Instagram or Twitter, Trista underscore Crik, you know what time it is.
Speaker 2: We put it on stories, we put it on threads, we put it on I don't know what we call it. We're calling X anymore like their threads for Forrex. Anyway, I have a big announcement. I am officially off of nights. I can watch games with a full focus.
Speaker 1: No more bet MG the Night, which I really enjoyed my time there, my nationally syndicated but betting show.
Speaker 2: I've been on there for three years.
Speaker 1: We had awesome guests, We had a ton of fun, great bonding.
Speaker 2: I couldn't trade it for the world. It was on four hours a night, roughly forty eight weeks a year.
Speaker 1: The amount of time I was on the air talking about betting was crazy.
Speaker 2: We've been doing WFAN for two years.
Speaker 1: We've been doing The Score for roughly six months in Chicago, six seventy the Score. Three years of that kind of work took its toll, Folks. My body and my mind was tired. I don't think I could have taken much longer of that. I wasn't calling friends or talking to anyone else except for people that I worked with on the show.
Speaker 2: So I've decided to leave.
Speaker 1: I will still be doing shows on the Score in Chicago, occasionally hits on Odyssey the radio network VQUL stations as well, but I'm currently on the nightly Grind. I cannot tell you what's yet for in store for me yet, but I will make that announcement in due time.
Speaker 2: But I do.
Speaker 1: Have some exciting news to drop that I will give you at some point soon. But for now, still find me on in weekends and some weeknights on the Score of six seventy in Chicago, and that means that I will, when the season starts, have time to expand some things that I've always wanted to do with the Heat Check. I'm very proud of what we've accomplished despite the work schedule, but I want to do more, I really do. I want to be creative with it again. I want to make it a part of my priority again. I was still able to give three episodes a week, but if I'm honest, it wasn't the kind of content that I really wanted to give you. Not every episode we're not always going Michael Jordan Stad, but dozens and dozens of bonus episodes, which I was very proud about as well, and the connections that we made were amazing. But basketball has always been my first love. NBA has always been my first love. I've started started the heat Check four years ago, in twenty twenty, so that I guess the beginning of twenty twenty one season, So what umbrella this is going to be under is not quite known yet, but I am really excited for season five. An idea that started during the pandemic moved with me from New York to DC and come on, come with me to this new journey as well, So I could not be more excited for it more thankful to everyone who's followed the heat Check from this league to the present. New fans from It Is What It Is Cameron and Masa's show have been amazing friends I've made in the on hits in Memphis, Rochester, Buffalo, Miami, Portland, Vegas, Chicago, New York City, Sacramento. By the way, shout out to Delo and Casey for their thousandth episode.
Speaker 2: I appreciate at you, guys, But I think season five is gonna be a blast. I think we're gonna be able to have more interviews.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna be able to have more interesting, hypothetical, creative content versus just transactions and news. Make sure to follow me on social updates for what's happening, But for now, just one episode a week until training camp starts. Unless I'm feeling frisky onto the leak. Not much happening around the league right now. Brian Windhors, God bless him.
Speaker 2: He finds ways.
Speaker 1: Boy, That's what I'm talking about, Brian Windhors. Snake drafts, top rankings, going back to former drafts, who who would have been redrafted?
Speaker 2: Love that boy, Love that man. I don't think Zach Low's ever gonna record again, though, like I know, I've been malfeas since, but I haven't seen Zach Lowe. Ever heard of pete from Zach Loow? Not a pete boy. Everybody's on vacation. But there are a few.
Speaker 1: Things going on, some transactions, little tidbits in the NBA schedule that you should know about, especially as they relate to betting. But the wildest thing happened last night. I saw it and I couldn't believe my eyes. And like, let me just preface this by saying, like, have you ever been in a cafe and you're sitting way too close to a couple that's like either just breaking up or has already broken up and is now like trying to find closure.
Speaker 2: Right next to you. That is what we got.
Speaker 1: When Mark Cuban went on Jalen Brunson's podcast, and for that, I say, why did you decide to do it? You knew that was probably gonna be a topic of discussion. It's it's just insane. It was almost like they both thought that they were over it and that they could discuss it with clear eyes. They clearly do not have the same version of what happened, and clearly are both kind of salty about how the negotiation went and concluded, but yet wanted to make sure to say they're happy for how it all worked out and happy for one another.
Speaker 2: It's insane. The interview I think goes an hour. They were dancing around it. You knew it was inevitable that they were going to discuss it. I could have gone my whole life without hearing that at all.
Speaker 1: And it is so much worse to watch than to listen to. But for those who are listening on the podcast, give it a listen and we will dissect work.
Speaker 3: I honestly thought it would work out. I really really really did. But it didn't. And that's okay. You know, all's well, that ends. Well, I'm happy for you, the King of New York, and I'm.
Speaker 4: Happy for us. You know, it is what it is. That's the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hold on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was like, whatever you're saying, I'm not even listening to Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 2: Let me just tell you how I felt. I'm pissed about something.
Speaker 5: The only thing that I ever never i'd didn't like but the whole situation was when Mark said, when the parents got involved, that's some things that messy. So that is the one thing I was like. I kind of was like, damn, that was a little job.
Speaker 4: But I didn't really No, I didn't want to go there here, right, I.
Speaker 1: Paused, didn't want to go there here. It wasn't a job. So Mark Cuban is not only standing on ten toes on that statement.
Speaker 2: He's like, I didn't want to dissect or go into this on.
Speaker 1: The podcast because I've got more shit I could say about your dad.
Speaker 3: It wasn't it wasn't a job at all. I mean, there's no reason for us to talk about any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't just a job JB. For real.
Speaker 5: I know, I'm just I'm just saying, well, that's when I heard that. That's so maybe I felt a little a certain way, but I got over it. Obviously, that's my parents.
Speaker 4: So I apologize.
Speaker 3: I think put you in a certain way. That wasn't the intention, but it was. It was hard to deal with, it was it was unique for it was.
Speaker 2: A unique translation. Mark. He was like, your dad was fucking nuts.
Speaker 1: He wanted you in New York and there was nothing I could do, no amount of money that I could give you.
Speaker 2: You were going to New York. And that was it.
Speaker 4: Negotiation in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 5: I was, I would says.
Speaker 1: Jalen's like, no, it's the exact same thing as Isaiah Hartenstein.
Speaker 5: Same negotiation that we just wanted to do with Isaiah. I would say, it's pretty similar in some respect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm sure what I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't know the details, but yeah it may well be, you know.
Speaker 5: But it's it's over and done with. We're here now and that's that and I'm happy.
Speaker 4: Literally, I'm happy for it.
Speaker 3: I mean, like when you got married, like we were still keeping guys.
Speaker 1: He's still cool, right, Like I text you like I see you, I still like root for you, you know, like we for everyone who's watching, Like we're not like completely on the outs.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I'm always sending you congrats and this and.
Speaker 1: That, so I mean, and Jalen's like, yep, like get the fuck out of here. Why did you guys decide to do this podcast? I don't understand it. That did not make things better at all. I think it's worse. I think it's more awkward now. I think you guys feel worse about how that whole thing went down now than you did before you decided to push your cord.
Speaker 2: Here's another thing that was not discussed or will never be known.
Speaker 1: It's like if Mark Cuban signs Jalen Brunson to four years fifty six million and he goes back to Dallas and they're losing, that Dallas is losing and Kyrie asked for trade.
Speaker 2: Is Jalen Brunson not the best trade.
Speaker 1: Piece you could possibly ask for if you're Dallas, like you might get you might get picks back and Kyrie to have McHale bridges because the McKale bridges thing happened after But that KD trade happens really fast, michaelis I mean, come on? So then you get Jalen Brunson and Michel Bridges in Brooklyn. Josh Hart came for a late first from Portland, which was whatever Devincenzo I think was free agency for nothing. So then you have Brooklyn with Jalen Brunson, Michel Bridges, Dante de Vincenzo and Josh Hart.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I mean that could have absolutely happened. And if that would have happened, would the Brooklyn Nets have been exactly what the New York Knicks are or are the Brooklyn Nets so dysfunctional?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Are we really like to the point where James Dolan runs a cleaner, tighter ship than Jose II and Sean Marks, Because that's I think where we're at right now. That is the sliding glass door that I am fascinated by. But all of that to say, the awkwardness now just got more awkward. And I promise you the next time Cuban goes on a podcast, someone is circling back to get more details on exactly what he meant, because clearly there is more to the story.
Speaker 2: Then we know, and that he is letting on and I think he wants to tell and spill the beans. Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Kind of the under the radar news coming out of the Bay to Day. Steph Curry again why, has agreed to a one year, sixty two point six million dollar extension sixty two point six million dollars.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, which.
Speaker 1: Will keep him as a Warrior through the twenty six to twenty seventh season. This according to his agent, Jeff Austin of Octagon, which by.
Speaker 2: The way, recently became my agency. Got that deal done.
Speaker 1: Since Steph will be thirty eight when the contract kicks in, he could only sign a one year extension, which is nuts anyway. That makes him the highest paid player in the NBA puts the rest any ideas that he may be looking to bail at the end of the contract. He'll be thirty nine when the contract ends, which pretty much ensures unless something insane happens, he's gonna be in Golden State his entire career.
Speaker 2: I hate the move.
Speaker 1: I want Steph to play with Lebron James, like, that's what I want. I love what we saw in the Olympics. I like Steph in Golden State.
Speaker 2: I love the Shemmy. I love him with Steve Kerr, like I really want.
Speaker 1: To see Steph win some shit, Like I love what Steph Curry's when he gave Steph Curry playing meaningful games. Great Steph Curry as a playing team. Oh, Steph Curry having a skit sit by Steve Kerr and played thirty seven minutes a game in the middle of January and him send shots to Steve Kerr because he really just wants to be like in the top six and like kaminga fucking up at the end of games, and like putting your whole life and career in the hands of Brandon Pachemski fucking insane moves. Good for Steph, though, take your money, take your legacy, enjoy that irrelevancy because that's what's happening for the rest of your fucking career.
Speaker 2: Good news for the Dubs, our Dubs, bad news for basketball fans at large. Let's move on. I am I'm getting tired, sake it, tired of this Brad Stevens guy. How does he do it?
Speaker 1: He is finding medal in the scrap heap, turning it in to something that you can sell for a lot of money, use for a lot of value. I don't understand what he's doing. That That analogy was terrible.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm trying to say, it's late. What the Celtics are doing is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: You get Drew Holliday, you get KP and first round picks to receive KP. You find Ouser, find Luke Cordnett, Derek White was a song, you get the picture. And now the Celtics just signed Lonnie Walker on an exhibit ten day.
Speaker 2: Wow. First of all, Lonnie Walker, Oh, how we have fallen? Jesus Christ. He averaged ten points.
Speaker 1: A game for the Nets last year, thirty eight percent of shooting from deep. But I'm pretty shocked that he was still a free agent deep into the summer. Keith Smith was also shocked.
Speaker 2: He was flabbergasted, Like what more does this team need in terms of shooting? Like this guy shoots thirty eight percent from three? They don't need that. They don't need that. You know who does need that team? Like the Pistons.
Speaker 1: They he's cheap too, Like what do you need to Bias Harris for if you have Lonnie Walker? Honestly, like they could use him, Like why is Simone for fontechio.
Speaker 2: Around?
Speaker 1: Like he's twenty eight years old, like Lonnie Walker twenty five. I know that they're playing different positions, but Lonnie Walker's four times the player that simone Fontechio is what are we doing other gms?
Speaker 2: I like Lonnie Walker.
Speaker 1: Remember Lonnie Walker for the Lakers was a bucket. He got the Lakers. I think he single handedly won a game for the Lakers in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: As for the Celtics, another addition to the bench insurance in case one of the guards go down, and just another win for Brad Stevens and Boston. And finally, a quick question.
Speaker 1: For the folks out there, like I don't know if anybody has any answers, but like, what the fuck's going on in Utah?
Speaker 2: What is happening there?
Speaker 1: First, they hijack the off season by dangling Lourie Marking like a piece of red meat, like in the middle of House of the Dragon, in the middle of the red keep, you know what I mean, starving bears. We got people hanging from their neck, we got rat catchers hanging from their necks, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, we got Lori market in, we got Lori market anybody hungry?
Speaker 1: And then they just signed him to an extension. Laurie won't sign until it's to the period where he cannot be traded. And now we find out Walker Kessler is on the trade block. The team cannot and I cannot to emphasize, this is not enough. This team cannot play defense. For a team that cannot play.
Speaker 2: Defense, this is a pretty big surprise.
Speaker 1: Why would they want to move on from him when he was damn near an All NBA center like two years ago. I know he regressed, but he's like twenty four years old.
Speaker 2: The whole team regressed.
Speaker 1: Also, there are rumors that Walker Kesser's like, give me the fuck up out of here.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 1: Well, the rumors are the Will Hardy wants Kesler to work on the fund of Mattals and have him become a quote traditional big man lovely, while Kessler wants to work on the perimeter and become a three in d Brook Lopez type of talent.
Speaker 2: Apparently Dad's in the mix. Apparently Dad's in the mix, has some things that he has to say to Will Hardy as well.
Speaker 1: Listen, when the dads are getting involved, As we said in the earlier segment, is never a good thing, never a good rumor to me. It's just further proof the Danny Ainge's master plan must be to poop for Cooper, poop for Coop, tank city trading Castler makes them worse. Jordan Clarkson can't be far behind. So much regression came to due to injuries, Utah was actively tanking. Of course, who's a good fit for Utah to trade with? I would have said Memphis, but they got Zach Edie. Now I think probably the New Orleans Pelicans. They really need some perimeter defense as well. They need some room protection. For sure, they need a seven footer. We know that they need a seven footer. Okay, like that's step one. But the larger picture is what's going on in Utah is about as murky as my mom's windows in her garage that have been boarded up for the last thirty five years can't see through. I don't know what is going on over there, to be. I don't know if Danny Inge knows what's going.
Speaker 2: On there either.
Speaker 1: I know the Jazz are probably the most fatable team in the league this year, and that is exactly what Age in.
Speaker 2: The front office want.
Speaker 1: But God bless them, you can't be bad for too long or people are gonna start bashing you forgetting you and taking advantage of you.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Lastly, one of our traditions on the heat check that dates back to this league days is talking about flights. What teams are getting fucked, What teams do the NBA actively hate. It's usually an indicator who's gonna struggle on the road because nobody loves having a fly cross country all season long. This year, Here are the five teams who have to fly the most miles this season. Number one San Antonio fifty one thousand and seventy nine miles.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, Number two my Portland Trailblazers, cause why because fuck them? That's why. They're young, they're dumb, they're athletic, they're strong. Let them travel.
Speaker 1: Number three Minnesota. I'm sure Timberwolf fans are up at arms. They feel like they are constantly being conspired against, and to be honest, hard not to see the same thing. Sacramento right in the same boat. These are teams really no one's checking for. Really outside of Wemby. San Antonio is not being checked for Portland Minnesota. Minnesota had the two seed and they still weren't being checked for Sacramento made the playoffs and people act like they're a basement dweller. Indiana made the Eastern Conference Finals. They're number five, and everybody's like, eh, fluke those teams. The miles that you fly in the NBA, I believe heavily correlate to how much the league gives a fuck about you or not the least amount of flight miles, which is crazy that I'm gonna say this because this goes completely against well.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's the same thing. Maybe it's literally that like two sides of the same cloth.
Speaker 1: Detroit thirty four thousand, seven hundred and sixty six miles.
Speaker 2: And it's not because they have to take the bus. It's not, Hey, they should, but they don't.
Speaker 1: They're just like, we'll just I don't know what they're doing, honestly. Toronto thirty four thousand, another team nobody really gives a fuck about either.
Speaker 2: I guess it's both. Really it's really both.
Speaker 1: And Philly. It's both and Philly Toronto thirty four nine hundred and fifty two miles. Charlotte again irrelevant thirty six thousand, one hundred zero seven seven thirty six thousand miles, seventy seven thirty six thousand.
Speaker 2: And seventy seven miles Philadelphia. This one breaks the mold.
Speaker 1: To me, I don't get this one, because like Philadelphia is very relevant and Joel embiid, this makes sense to protect JOELMB thirty seven and eighty three miles and then Washington. So really, nine of these ten teams we could just exterminate, honestly, like we could literally.
Speaker 2: Just put them in the Hunger Games and only one comes out. The Spurs they'll have to fire fly thirty three thirty.
Speaker 1: Three percent more miles than the Pistons do, and that means a lot when you got a guy that's like seven foot five on your team who cannot get comfortable even on a private plane like Wemby's gotta be punching air right now. Fade the Spurs on long road trips, baby, like, no way. The short distance flyers, the Sixers, they won the lottery thirty eight thousand flying miles. That's gotta be a benefit.
Speaker 2: Something to keep in.
Speaker 1: Mind when you're trying to figure out who's gonna be a contender, who's gonna flop during this season. It's not the main reason, or even a major reason, but it has proven to be a real hiccup for teams like the Clippers were last year. That's all the time that we have for this episode of the Eat Check. Come back on next week for an on new episode, and check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which drop unexpectedly like the five on Netflix. Do not forget to follow the Heat Check throughout the off season, which means a few more weeks till training camp, so download subscribe. Tell your friends, even that sweet but dumb hairstylists who interrupted you while you were trying to catch up on all your NBA off season read and tell her I don't want to tell you what my hobbies are.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, we're not friends. Be quiet so I can be my prep right for the Heat Check.
Speaker 1: You don't forget to follow us at this heat Check and atribou TikTok, Twitter
Speaker 2: And Instagram and very soon