Speaker 1: What's up, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm no Ohile's joining me as always are my co hosts platinum Key aka Mark and Josh Harrison. You know, there was one good thing that happened this weekend, and it involved the guy in the middle of the screen.
Speaker 1: Everything else went bad.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about the collapse that is the twenty twenty six Pittsburgh Pirates, who have lost all but one of their series post All Star break.
Speaker 1: I think what five straight series?
Speaker 2: Now Yankees, Diamondbacks, Cubs, Reds, yep, who else.
Speaker 1: Brewers and now Mets. So six straight series losses. Jay Hay retired as a Pirate.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about that, and then we will wrap up the show with platinum Key's Key of the Week.
Speaker 1: But guys, I mean, there's no way to sugarcoat this is a collapse.
Speaker 2: They This was a team that just a couple of weeks ago was tied for a playoff spot. They had a big series, they had a big home stand. They didn't do anything with that. They had eight division games in a row, lost six of those come back home against one of the worst teams in baseball, and quite frankly, they got embarrassed.
Speaker 1: They were humiliated in their own ballpark.
Speaker 2: They had a nice win on Saturday, they tried to build some momentum off of that, and they came out on Sunday and they lost by ten runs in a game that they were really never in. Mark, I'll start with you because I have a question for Josh after I ask you, Mark, But just I mean, you were there, man, like you're mister positive, mister pirate fanly saw you hoisten the hell out of that cone Saturday.
Speaker 1: How you feeling now? Man? Is the season over?
Speaker 3: It's very close? I mean it's over. But at the same time, I just pulled up that graph from fangrass playoff odds July twenty seventh. This team had above a forty five percent chance coming into the Sunday. Prior to the loss of the Mets, it was eight point seven percent. So it's this team's just fallen off a cliff. Seasons not over yet, but it's the closest it's been over all year long, and frankly, there hasn't been a lot encouraging to say, oh, they're about to turn this around. It's not like these have been like close losses recently. They've just been getting their teeth kicked in Basically. You look at Sunday's game against the Mets. They struck out thirteen times, had zero walks, and only had four hits. They had one chance with a runner and scoring position the entire game. Pitching was awful today or on Sunday as well, but I mean the offense has just been anemic lately. And it was another left handed pitch so or another left handed picture. So yeah, it's I want to be optimistic, but there's just not too much to be optimistic for that we've seen lately, which makes things pretty tough to be a fan right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Josh, I want to get to you in a second, but I'll just get some quick analysis here. Like Mark said, I mean, just nothing's working, man. I mean, the starting rotation is just a total flop. These guys, no one. Bubba's the only guy who can go into the sixteen thing now, and he's a rookie. Props to him for showing up. At least someone stepped up. I mean everyone else just looks completely out of gas. Yeah, from Jared to Braxton to Skemes and Carmen you know, whatever you want to call that, but like it's just it's just bad.
Speaker 1: And then the offense they have nothing.
Speaker 2: I have more to say on this, but Josh, I want to get your perspective because you've unfortunately been a part of seasons like this eleven, twelve, sixteen, seventeen eighteen, they all had some points in July where you guys were in the mix and August was unkind to you in some of those seasons. Take us into the locker or the clubhouse, Take us into the life day to day of a ballplayer who's on a team like that, where you know your season slipping away.
Speaker 4: As you said, I've been a part of it far too many times, but you know it's one of those things where you're still still a professional and you know anything can happen. Your job is to show up every day, get what you got and help when you help your team win a ball game. And just as quickly as things have kind of spiraled out of control, if you pay attention to the day to day details, things can trend upward. Obviously, it's an uphill battle, and you know chances are very slim. But that's where you really have to lock in and say, don't look too far ahead of the season, don't look too far ahead of the schedule. We got a job to do. Show up today. We got to keep plugging away. You know, it could be one pitch, one at bat, one series, one play that can make it turn around. But at the same time, you know you haven't done yourself any favors, especially you know, post All Star break, and you know, I can remember one of my first years, whether it's two thousand eleven to twenty twelve, you know, it's feeling really good around that July time. Then we get to mid August and next thing you know, we're hearing let's go still the chance, and you know that's never fun to hear when you still know you have a full month or you know, a month and a half left of baseball and that's where they want to stay away from. And just one of those things where you know where you're at and it's not a comfortable feeling, but you know at the same time you should never be comfortable in this game. But in this moment, this is where it's like all the work you've done in the off season, all the work you've done during spring training and leading up to this, it's like, hey, we got to put up a shut up and you know what, there's no excuses at this point.
Speaker 5: We just got to go and do whatever we can.
Speaker 4: And see where the chips fall after that, because, as I said, they haven't done themselves any favors, but as not anything that they need to sit around and be feeling sorry for themselves because just as bad as this spiral for them, you know you need some help ahead of you. But teams can also spiral as well. But that's not your job to wear about. They got to wear about the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna give a harsh truth here before we wrap this up, this segment up. The Corgious isn't good enough. You look, I mean the.
Speaker 2: New pieces, when they've been around, they're the difference makers. It's Connor Griffin whenever he's healthy. It's Ryan O'Hearn, it's Brandon Laue, it's Jake Mangam. The reality is all the guys who were here last year have not done their part. Brian Reynolds has been a ghost since the end of June, essentially, especially since the all Star Break, Paul Skin So we don't even need to go down that road. It's beyond explanation at this point. Jared Jones, Mitch Keller, all those guys, those were those were the three most tenured starters in this rotation. None of them showed up this year, none of them. Just you go down the list. I mean, nickn Zalez, to his credit, became a much better hitter. He couldn't figure out how to play third base. Jared Triolo couldn't just can't figure out how to be a consistent hitter. None of these guys, I mean, Spencer has been considered. I mean, Spencer hasn't been great since he came back off the IL. But then again, look at it from his point of view. Dude just got off the i L and they're like, hey, by the way, we need you to carry the offense. Yeah, that's not how this should work.
Speaker 1: And they're going to do the same thing.
Speaker 3: With the pizza.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, especially that was going well too. You know, for it to go cold, it's hard to expect one guy to come and say lift us up. Yes, you can expect a little jolt from somebody because oh we were missing them. But like if the rest of the lineup wasn't doing anything to begin with that one little person or jolt is not going to be enough. And you know you mentioned when the pitch is not doing what it was supposed to. All year, defense hasn't been doing it. And that was one of the fears of this year is if the offense goes through a cold spell or a law what is it going to look like?
Speaker 5: And this is what we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's it.
Speaker 2: It just the core was not good enough. I mean it credit to the pirates, I guess are trying to add on, but it just goes to show when when you lose those additions, you revert back to what you had before, and what you had before didn't get better. It did not get better as a collective whole. I mean some guys took like, yeah, O'Neal Cruiz got better, but O'Neal Cruz can't stay healthy.
Speaker 1: Uha.
Speaker 5: Unfortunate situations.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, the depth, really, the depth we were worried about, got tested more than they would have liked. And the in the areas that they did it be tested. I should say, you know what I mean because you're talk in the middle of the field, shortstops, center fields like okay, and then now that that just domino effects when everything's not going well and as you said, is trying to play a lot of catchup, but they has no excuses. You got to show up and see whatever you can make the most of these this last you know, six weeks or whatever.
Speaker 2: A guy who showed up to panc Park this weekend, whose named Josh Harrison.
Speaker 1: He retired to Pittsburgh Pirate.
Speaker 2: It was the only good thing that happened this weekend aside from a nine to nothing win that now means nothing. Essentially, we're going to talk about Josh's retirement, him being honored here on Bucko Territory next.
Speaker 1: But first or we're from our sponsors.
Speaker 6: I know this is a busy time of year for many of you, including AJ. When you're home, you need everything to get done fast with quality.
Speaker 7: Absolutely That's why Factor meals are perfect for me. Ready in two minutes, healthy, pre made protein, all the things I like, vegetables, They're all mixed into one and it's quick, easy cleanup. Don boom, I'm full, move on to the next task.
Speaker 6: No prep, no cleanup. Every week you'll find over one hundred nutrient dense menu items to choose from and new options like salmon, Burger's, shredded pork and much more. Plus add on Jill crave like pumpkin flavored cheesecake and protein shakes. Let's eat Real. Head to Factor meals dot com slash foul fifty off and use code foul five zero off to get fifty percent off and one free breakfast item per box for one year while supplies last until ten thirty one twenty six. That's code foul fifty off at Factor meals dot com. Foul fifty off Factor Meals dot Com. See website for more details.
Speaker 2: So, Josh, I, I just got to know, like, have have they called you and asked if I can contribute to the rotation yet? Because you didn't bounce the first pitch we said we were gonna do you.
Speaker 1: That was good. I liked. I feel like you put it right on the black. On the inner half, I.
Speaker 2: Noticed you were you were a little anxious because you were ready to throw and they're like Josh Harrison everybody, and you had to like whoa and give another wave and then you threw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just take us through, take us through the whole experience.
Speaker 4: So I'll finish with the first pitch. But like, the whole weekend was, I mean, words really can't describe.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: You can hear my voice right now, still trying to recover just the amount of love, just from the minute that I walked into the hotel, the day that I got there, to the leak checking out this morning as we're recording this Sunday, you know, countless pictures, autographs, people thanking me, thanking my parents, you know, my wife, my kids, just you know.
Speaker 5: Celebrating, you know, my tenure there.
Speaker 4: And I think I said before, you know, the weekend, that I didn't you know, I really hadn't had a chance to process at all. And I'm still processing it as I'm sitting here, you know, fresh off of the weekend. But man, it was nothing short of amazing, you know, from the first night, you know, just being there in the second signing on Federal Street and going to the team store, taking pictures, hearing various people come up and you know, just share their countless memories of you know, when they watched me, whether it was you know, in middle school, high school, or if you know they were at one of the games or playoff game, just you know, reliving those memories and you know, being able to reconnect with a lot of you know, things that I probably hadn't thought about, you know, since I've been done, because you know, baseball continues to go on, whether you play in one city forever or you know, you continue to play otherwise, you know, elsewhere. But it was definitely a cool experience, you know, text threads with my family and friends, you know, everybody you know coming down off of this high, you know, just from you know, not really knowing what to expect and leaving their own cloud nine. So it was definitely amazing. And the Pirates one or you know, in the midst of all the struggles, you know, at least you know, that day wasn't spoiled by you know, a non competitive game.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: That first pitch they're like, you know, all right, take your time out there. So I'm like, all right, They're like, take a slow walk. So I'm like slow walking, and I'm not really listening to what they're saying, you know, because I'm like I'm walking as slow as I can. So I get to the mound, the camera's there, and I'm like, cool, point at the camera. I see them show my videos. So I'm like, okay, maybe when the video's done, I'll throw the pitch. So right when it gets done, I'm like, all right, here goes nothing. And then they announced my name again and that's when you see me toss the ball up, like oh, I'm not gonna throw it yet. But I was like, oh, I'm like, you know, they didn't. They just told me to walk out slow, take my time, and you know I heard them saying alcohlades. But I thought when the video was over, like, okay, yeah, I've thrown the first pitch at my college. You know, it wasn't quite as loud as you see. You know, there was kind of loud, and I felt like, man, after a while, I've waved enough, and you know, the crowd, I'm like, all right, here we go. Oh josh, let me throw it up in here. So it's funny you're the first person that says something to me about that too, Like, I know you're not the only person that caught it, but you're the first person that asked me about it.
Speaker 2: You reminded me of like when a kicker gets iced in the NFL and they like go through and they just like kick the field goal anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just like that was.
Speaker 2: But hey man, it looked like you had a great time.
Speaker 1: Obviously we were able to run into you just briefly.
Speaker 2: Uh, I mean, got a question in the press conference that was pretty great. You didn't even answer it, Bob just stole the answer there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there we are.
Speaker 4: Well, I feel like you have a two part question, but you did kind of ask Bob though you did kind of the question to him.
Speaker 1: And honestly, I didn't need any quotes from you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got I get Josh Harrison quotes three days a week.
Speaker 1: So but it was cool in you one more time. It was cool to meet your family. Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I will say this, I don't know if it was cool to see the little j Hey puppet, but it was certainly something.
Speaker 4: So it scared me when I saw it. I'm not gonna lie. It was funny because I forgot all about it and they're like, hey, sign this bat and go take a picture on that backdrop.
Speaker 5: And they weren't trying to scare me nothing.
Speaker 4: It was just, you know, I'm taking a picture and behind the photographer, I looked across the way and I saw little j and I was like, oh, I forgot about him. But but it was funny because they were like, we asked if you wanted to take him when you left, and I was like, nah, he's right where it belongs. My kids would be a little scared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking I saw yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna say I saw. I saw that everything. Josh just explained. I saw him like sign the bat, and I saw his eyes pop up. Because the media when we came into interview, we all walked past it and like I totally forgot about that too, and like we're all.
Speaker 1: Like, what the hell is that? And I'm like Jimmy had to remind me.
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, I do remember this holy cow that's sitting in a storage closet somewhere.
Speaker 5: Shout out to shout out to Wally the cameraman.
Speaker 4: He uh, you know, he was the one that that that made it and uh even saw in the segment. You know, they had the road when Cervelli used to do his like relationships, so like that was all Wally, and you know he did a good job of keeping with that.
Speaker 3: So Josh, I want to know what was it like for your daughters to see that, because obviously they were pretty young when you were playing in Pittsburgh. What was it like for them to see their dad get all these like accolades and celebrated and that whole crowd pop when you walked out for the first pitch, PNC got pretty loud. So what was your family's reaction to all of yesterday's excitement?
Speaker 5: The family was, you know, a static.
Speaker 4: My daughters, they were still taking it in because, as you mentioned, they were young and towards the end of my career. It wasn't you know that you know, it wasn't like I was playing Pittsburgh. You know, I was playing different teams, so it's like, you know, if they knew me, it was from the fan base know me playing against them, So you know, they didn't really get a chance to really.
Speaker 5: Embrace, you know, what home felt like.
Speaker 4: And that's why it was pretty cool for them to, you know, kind of experience that. Because after the game yesterday, even leaving the game, you know, signing autographs and taking pictures in My youngest daughter, Kensley, who's eight, you know, dead serious, she goes, Daddy, are you a celebrity or something? You know, and just because you know, to her, I'm daddy, you know what I mean. And you know they've been with me other places and people advanced for autographs, but to this degree of where everybody wanted pictures and autographs, you know.
Speaker 5: You know. I think for them they were like, dang, that daddy was cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a bad man.
Speaker 4: What do you mean he just coaches volleyball and he's a dance dad. Like, what are y'all talking about?
Speaker 2: No, they'll listen. Whenever they're on social media, they'll see the rundown video. They'll get it, you know. Yeah, whenever the Rundown video comes across their algorithm organically, like that's when it'll be like.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, I know. So well.
Speaker 2: I couldn't have been happier for you, Josh. It was great to watch from Afar, great to watch it up close. I know Mark had a great time too. It was great that we got to see you. And I'm really glad the Pirates could put that together. It's super deserving and I think it was something that everyone enjoyed from people who covered you, from you, yourself, your family, and the fans. That stuff should happen more often for every team. Give people the man, people who made a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I heard from so many people like Josh, so many people came up to me and they're like, you have to tell Jay Hey how much he meant to me, Like I would not be like such a Pirates fan without him. You have to tell us, like, I have so many stories to share off air with you from people that came up to me. You meant a lot to the city of Pittsburgh. And it was just it was really cool to see that reflected throughout the whole crowd.
Speaker 5: No, I definitely felt it.
Speaker 4: And as I said, the love never left because there were some people that shared those stories with me.
Speaker 5: And I mean as I said, I said it.
Speaker 4: On the broadcast when I was up there with Neil and Joe Block, you know, just appreciative Bob, the Pirates, you know, Jimmy, Jimmy T and Joey b behind.
Speaker 5: The scenes helping my family and stuff like it was.
Speaker 4: It was a well loaded machine and they they really went above and beyond and you know, retired to pirate Pirate for life. Man, I'm excited, and you know, we'll see where that goes with you know, the energy they played with Saturday, bring that the last six weeks guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 2: Pirate for Life, Josh Harrison is the best way to wrap up this segment.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take another quick break. When we come back.
Speaker 2: Mark will wrap up today's show with is Platinum Key of the Week here on Bucket.
Speaker 1: Territory Science Experiment.
Speaker 6: For the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 7: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy, a free Keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 6: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested, give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui ncee dot com slash fou l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quints dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drugging Inministration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 3: All right, and now my key of the week segment here, which I'm just going to keep this quick quick. Things feel bad right now, but it's not over yet. We might not have baseball next year. And frankly, this is the best Pirates team they've had in a long time since Jay Hayes days, probably, and that's not saying a lot right now it feels like, but this team actually still has the slimmest of chances. We're not completely dead. So my key of the week is just you guys, keep your head up. Things feel bad right now, but this team can go on and run, getting O'Neil Cruz back, getting counter Griffin back if they can just keep their head above water, sweep the Marlins make a big step up finish the final six weeks of the season strong. There's there's still a chance. It's slim, but that's my key of the week. Is you just you have to still believe that you have a chance to get there. They're not dead yet. I still haven't heard Nobell. So keep your head up, keep fighting, and let's go on a run.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we might have lost a series to the last place Mets and missed a great opportunity to start that, but we finally have a day off after seventeen days. Use Monday to get right down in Miami and show up against the Marlins. So yeah, that's my my key of the week. It's hard right now to be a Pirates fan. I get that, especially after how just anemic things were on Friday, but or on Sunday and Friday as well. Yeah, but they're not dead and you guys shot in the arm with O'Neil Cruz coming back probably for I'm guessing the Boston series and I don't know, maybe you can just find that hot streak, find the offensive production that has just gone missing, and hope that hitting is contagious and they can make up for where the starting pitching is at, because I don't know if that's gonna improve much. So yeah, that's my key of the week. You know what, and you thought, I mean.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, yeah, I was gonna say to go off of what you said. Well, we've already covered, han't been there being in a situation you know what, lizahead are you? You're talking about sweeping the Marlins. Before you can sweep the Marlins, you gotta take care of game one of the series right at this point, you know, take care of game one of the series. But more than anything, you gotta win every series from now on out if you don't sweep, you know what I mean? So the make the go to win a series every time, which you should always be doing that, but lately it's just been a just.
Speaker 5: Win a game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, you want a game Saturday? You want, you want a game Saturday. Go out there, win a series. But sweeps can happen. But to a sweep, you gotta win a series. And that starts with game one. Reset as you said, Reset after seventeen days and go win game one of the series and put yourself in a good position to make it interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the goal for this team was to make the postseason period full stop. If you want to accomplish that goal, it's now or never and it's We've been saying that for a few weeks and it's like the most critical series of the year and they keep losing it.
Speaker 5: Every series from now is going to be the most critical.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean, you've got the Marlins, the Red Sox.
Speaker 1: Marlins are ahead of them in the wildcard race.
Speaker 2: Red Sox are a playoff team, maybe one of the best teams, maybe the best team in the American League.
Speaker 4: Right right now, it really well yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: You get a little break against the Tigers, then you have the Dodgers and the Padres and the Cardinals, so you're.
Speaker 3: All on the road.
Speaker 5: Yeah so, but what better way to do it than.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, and we want to earn something. It's called a subscription from you. It's free. Hit that button. Help us out, hurry Mary, Yeah, hit that subscribe button if you haven't already. We're more than halfway to three thousand subs. We can't get there without your help, so hit subscribe. Also check out the Bucko Territory team store. Got a lot of good stuff to wear it to the ballpark. If your Josh Harrison T shirt isn't clean, those are some sweet shirts.
Speaker 1: The parts gave out there. We go guys, any final thoughts.
Speaker 3: Just love the Jay Hey day, Uh, that was fun. Appreciate the shout out on the broadcast, Josh, that was pretty cool. I'm sure that guys a few subscribers so appreciate that. My guy's still plugging even on the TV.
Speaker 5: So I love that. Hey.
Speaker 4: You know, you guys are part of you know, my my post playing career. You know, they asked me what I was doing. You know, family is always a part of that. But at the same time, but coll territory, you know, we rocking. Yes, And just as I said to wrap things up, this weekend was nothing short of amazing. As I said, appreciative of all the love and support, and that's all I got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll wrap it up by saying, it was awesome meeting your family, Josh. Shout out to all the Harrisons that are listening to this.
Speaker 1: It was great meeting you all. And shout out to everyone else who's been listening.
Speaker 2: The Pirates season isn't very fun right now, but we know fans still want to follow the team, and you're gonna get coverage here every Monday one Friday.
Speaker 1: No matter what. He's Platina key, He's Josh Harrison.
Speaker 2: I'm Noah Hiles Sonning off, saying thanks for tuning in to another episode of Bucko Territory, presented to you by Without Territory Network.
Speaker 1: Take care,