Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbal hull.
Speaker 2: That for me, I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith state is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tye welcome back to the Solid Verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildenbrandt, joining me as always somewhere over there, the one and only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how you doing today?
Speaker 2: That's a good way of describing where I am, both emotionally and physically. I am. I'm pretty good all things considered. My life is okay, but I am my college football heart is pretty sad considering the day's news. So I want to talk this through with nobody but you, Tyler.
Speaker 1: And likewise, mister Rubinstein. As you said, we broadcast with heavy hearts today. We'll get into that in much much more. You can always reach out and let us know what's on your mind. Soliverbal at gmail dot com. You can also go to our website, Solid verbal dot com. There is a contact form there, or on Twitter or on Instagram or on Facebook. We also do have a subreddit, which I would imagine is going to be teaming with opinions about not only what's going to go down this season, but what's going to go down on this podcast? Dan, just so many questions.
Speaker 2: Well, is there podcast drama?
Speaker 1: I suppose there could be, I guess we'll say, not that I know of yet, But okay, there's always time, And of course subscribe to the show out on Spotify and Apple on Google. We will be podcasting for the I don't know, foreseeable future. I can't imagine why we wouldn't. There's so much to talk about here, Dan.
Speaker 2: Correct, we have no end date. We are going through no matter what does or does not happen, we will continue this show because it is our happy place.
Speaker 1: Four oh eight verbal one is also the reverbal four oh eight eight three seven two two five one. We cut a deal with the phone company to open the line back up for a limited time. My guess is that we're going to get a lot of interesting fan reaction for ballers out there need some cathartic experience to you know, heal from some of what we found out today and some we're going to talk through tonight. Dan, let's just let's let's jump right in.
Speaker 2: We do have braaking.
Speaker 1: News, Oh bop bope, two really big catty cosmic announcements in the world of college football. You know where this is going. We talked about this as a possibility. I think to some extent we expected. It doesn't come as a huge surprise to either of us. But now that it's here, it kind of feels, i don't know, unnatural. It hurts as a huge college football fan, as someone who does this show, I know you feel the same. The Big Ten announced earlier today that it is now officially postponing the fall season. Remember, we heard rumors about this being a possibility, and there was a lot of backlash, and we can get into all that, but the Big Ten announced the postponement of the twenty twenty twenty one fall sports season that includes all regular season contests and Big Ten championships and tournaments, due to the ongoing health and safety concerns related to the COVID nineteen pandemic. That is straight from the Big Ten statement that came out this afternoon. Shortly thereafter, again, as expected, the Pac twelve announced a very similar thing that they were also going to postpone their fall season with the intention of hopefully playing in the springtime. We can get into the merits of all all of that, Dan, I guess what matters around the world of college football is that there are three conferences that have yet to announce. I think we can all see the writing on the wall at this point.
Speaker 2: Let's be clear, there are more than three. We have the American as well.
Speaker 1: We have three other power conferences. We have three of the Power Conference that have yet to announce their intentions. All of them, at least as of time of recording here, seem like they're going to try and postpone delay drive this out as long as possible to see if they can get any games in this fall. Correct, The ACC seems somewhat hell bent on trying to get as many games in as possible to proceed as they had planned. But one does wonder how long that can go on. All I think it takes is for one of those three Power five holdouts to break ranks to eventually join the Big ten and Pack twelve before the whole thing is going to get nuked. So, you know, a lot to unpack here. And what was your reaction to hearing this? How do you feel now? What are we going to talk about for like the next six months? Like so many questions have entered my mind right now.
Speaker 2: You know, there's probably three to four things that are weighing on my mind. The first of which is, it seems like it's been a long time coming that we've known that this was a potential outcome for quite some time. It doesn't make the landing any softer when it becomes official. It hurts all the same because this is what we do on this show, this is what we talk about we I mean, you went to a Big Ten school. I went to a Pac twelve school. There is more college football obviously that we cover, but you know, there's something personal about both the Big Ten and Pac twelve to us, and the fact that these are dominos. And mind you, this is after FCS conferences. A group of five conferences I think it was ODU and UMass also in the last probably thirty six hours, have announced that they have canceled their seasons. And it comes a few days after the Big Ten with I think a lot of qualifiers announced their revised conference schedule, and that was sort of a point of confusion for a lot of people. Why announce that if you were also weighing canceling the season outright, And was that the actual word postponement that they used or was it cancelation? What was it in terms of semantics, Yeah, the semantics are postponement. So they're hopeful for a spring season, but they do know this. They are not willing to play fallse sports in the coming months. So that's what we know. And it's hard for me to hard agree, hard disagree. It's all understandable, and I will come at it from that because I know a lot of people have seen and there's a lot to unpack because we've had players speaking out across many of the Power all of the Power five conferences, highlighted by Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, these huge, huge names talking about player input into the season and that they want to play. That was a hashtag built around it, and it was very cool to see players using their voices, especially in terms of health protocols and getting representation with regard to the season. But what the Big Ten and then shortly thereafter the Pac twelve did was say we are not confident in our ability to play a season and look after our players to the best of our ability, because we don't know what the best of our ability entails. Because the novel coronavirus is just that it is new. There are unknowns, and there are obviously different tentacles on this octopus regarding liability and amateurism and optics and messaging. But this is where we arrived, and I just I'm disappointedly understanding. I am I am bummed out. I haven't even really thought about what we're going to talk about on this show, because we'll find something that's that's the least of mine. We we know how to yam or that's what we do. We can flap our gums, fine, But I feel terribly for the players and the coaches, and the families of the coaches, and everybody that works for these schools, people on broadcast teams, people covering the sport, especially Big ten and PAC twelve teams. As of the time of this recording, as you mentioned, the ACC and Big twelve and SEC have not announced anything in that direction yet. They're still sort of deliberating and figuring out why the PAC twelve and Big ten made their decisions. But there's sort of an expected hollowness to today, which I just I don't know. I find myself shrugging and figuring things are trying to figure out where we go from here, because, and we can get into this, I don't see football happening before fall of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you are a Spring skeptic and I'm a Spring skeptic. Yeah, let's get into that momentarily. I just I think back to one of the live streams we did back in April, conversation way back when when you were still trying to figure out if you should leave New York or not, and we asked a question Marche then Yeah, yeah, we asked a question about the likelihood of this virus effect in the twenty twenty season. And I don't think either of us was so naive to think that it wouldn't, but to this extent at the time seemed almost infathomable. We had an opportunity, like as a society maybe to better control the spread here, and there are many reasons why that didn't happen, And you know, we're not going to get into all of that here on a college football show. And so this isn't a Big ten or a PAC twelve or a Mark Emmert or an NCAA problem. This is like a societal thing that we're going to have to deal with. I certainly hope that with whatever choice is made, that more people don't get sick. That's the most important thing. It sucks, sucks that we don't have college football, at least not in the Big Ten and Pac twelve that we're going to be able to talk about this fall.
Speaker 2: Buddy, we don't get Lehigh Lafayette this fall.
Speaker 1: Don't get Lehig Lafayette. There's so much much here that I think I am still processing that. It's hard to really put it all into words. But you know, we'll see what comes of it now as we move forward. So, as you said, Big ten, Pac twelve pulled the plug, Daniel. If reports are to be believed, the lynch pin in this equation on whether we get college football at all at the power five level is a Big twelve. Now, we've been dogging Bob Bowlesby for a while. Here. My dog's barking in the background. That's how much we've been dogging Bob Bowlesby. But it seems as if the ACC and the SEC want to continue with the status quo for some period of time. I'm not saying we're definitely going to play. They're just saying we need more time to figure this out. The Big Twelve is reportedly divided on whether or not to play this fall. I pulled this line from an ESPN dot com article from our friend Sam con Junior. The league appears to be on the fence at the moment, but give it and how scheduling announcements played out in recent weeks, don't expect the Big twelve to rush to a decision. It could be the last among the Power five to make a move, so you know, no one wants to be last. I guess if your last, you get your mind made up for you. But the remaining three Power five conferences are now in a bit of a bind. My guess is that more of the medical information cited by both the Big Ten and Pac twelve that led to their decision to cancel the fall season, that stuff is going to get out. It will only ratchet up the pressure on the other conferences that have yet to decide.
Speaker 2: It all sort of highlights the pretty big gulf between the conferences. I think in my mind, even though there was nothing specific pointing to this, I was imagining a big oak table with five conference commissioners discussing what they're hearing and what their plans are for a conference only schedule and when to start, and it's all fantasy. And I mean, I know there are meetings, I know there are conversations. We've heard stories like this, but this is not a traditional league, a sports league in the way that we would hope that it is. And so the Big twelve, I think there's something very important there. The Big twelve makes it if they decide not to play a majority correct, all of a sudden, it goes from being the Big ten and PAC twelve, which are all you know, this the Rose Bowl alignment and it's traditional whatever. Those two have always sort of been paired together almost like the SEC and ACC with their traditional rivalries whatever. When the Big twelve goes to the or if they go to the PAC twelve Big ten side, there is that majority, and then all of a sudden, it's like you're in the minority for playing a season. And you would think, okay, is there a monolith of medical advice that is being given to the Power five conferences? There is not. There is medical advice given to the PAC twelve and given to the Big ten, and you know there's everybody has their team of advisors and the whole industry of medicine, epidemiology, virology, whatever, that's all not a monolith. There are differing opinions, and so the SEC hears what everybody wants to hear, which is, yeah, you can play. It's fine, you got to take precautions, but it should be all right, it's worth it. The ACC apparently I saw a connection to Duke, has been hearing the same things, and so they're going with that. If you read it all. The PAC twelve released their medical advice, the summary of the medical advice that they've been receiving. It's the myocar I'm gonna get this wrong, it's myocarditis tie something like that. Yes, it's the sort of long lasting cardiac situation that can occur in the body after coronavirus. And it's really scary. And I saw the Big Ten said that ten players, I don't want to be quoted, it's ten players or ten student athletes overall have been diagnosed with it. That's super duper scary. So there is an optics element of if something goes really wrong, the SEC decides to play, or if the Big ten had decided to play, if something goes wrong, let's say, you know, God forbid people get sick, and now the number of people have hospitalized the worst that you know, we have deaths in college football. The fact is every single medical expert quote unquote medical expert is saying there's a pretty big risk here in playing college football. And some say it's worth it, some say it's not. But the optics are out there. The optics would be out there of oh, the SEC decided it was worth the risk. And here's what happened. We've seen deaths across college football and schools get hammered for negligence. And now on this scale, if a conference is willing to play, and here's the sort of absurd part of my brain, what does everything always come back to in college football? Money, money, and recruiting. And you're going to have schools if it's the SEC, if it's the Big Twelve, it's like big the Big Twelve. This conference is built with schools, right that don't care about your kid's health. The optics are disastrous if something horrible happens because of everything that's going on here. Now you have liability. You have this sort of false sense of like, oh, let players sign waivers that they're willing to play. That I mean it's never going to hold up in court, and it's kind of not kind of it's pretty damn ghoulish to begin with to have players sign that. So I get all of this from the PAC twelve and Big ten standpoint of like maybe in their hearts they believe, you know what, it's probably fine, but they're not in the probably fine business.
Speaker 1: Well that's it. This is going to happen all over college football. And the reason this is happening is because of liability, because of inconsistent protocols, ultimately because of the virus. Right, And I just think we're going to see a similar tune, you know, all throughout. I will address the one thing that you did allude to, the popular internet theory that this is all the media's fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's sort of a straw man among our dumbest ty.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any sense because without a season, a lot of folks in the media are going to be losing their jobs. Right Like do folks in the profession sometimes have an agenda?
Speaker 2: Shore of course all the time. Yeah. In this case, though, you should blame.
Speaker 1: The virus if you don't like the news, because I guarantee you that like Pete Fammel ain't working that beat for Yahoo Sports making this stuff up because he's going to get a bonus if the season gets nuked. That's not the way this works. This is already an industry that is sort of teetering on the brink. So you know, just a lot of pressure points here being pushed upon as we now start talking about season cancelations and liabilities and whatnot is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would also add the liability thing is interesting because a lot of people say, like, you can play the season because this is all you have to do. You test three times a week. This is how you distant student athletes from the rest of the campus population, this is how you travel is Those are all great points. I'm not sure those points in terms of rapid response testing and isolation and what do you do with four players or eleven players or twenty six players or three coaches whatever, that's not a reality that we exist within where we know those answers or we have that sort of the money, the capability, the lack of backlog for testing. The ideal world of how to play sports, it seems like it exists with the NBA, right It seems like they've done a good enough job. There are fifteen players on a team, plus support staff far less than exist. This is nothing. Everybody listening, it's nothing they don't know, but the reality of playing under these circumstances. For if it's financial, if it's just a resource a manpower thing, it doesn't align with what's actually happening. So I get it. I get that, Okay, there's a standard. We can't meet that standard. Why are we pretending? Why are we going through the motions?
Speaker 1: And it's a.
Speaker 2: Bummer that we saw schedules and I know all these conferences qualified. We're hoping, but there's a chance it might not happen. I understand all of that, but man, it's it's just your ideal world. And I obviously now I'm speaking to a straw man, but this is this is a common conversation I've heard among people I respect and you know, value their opinion within college football media or just the media at large. It doesn't align ty And you saw that in the PAC twelve report that you know, they're really hopeful that we improve to that point by the spring that we are able to sort of build a season out of nothing, almost like I think this is where you live, right, The Amish can like build a barn in like two seconds, like the teamwork to get everything together, boom bang, like a pop up season. I love I love Amash Barnes. I don't know, yea, it is a furniture thing too, right, They apparently have amazing furniture a country.
Speaker 1: My my dining room table is an Amish there you go, so table.
Speaker 2: There is that hope that we get there. I don't know if there is a specific reason to believe we are trending in that direction, given where we've been these past few months, but I don't see it. I don't see it. I like going with trends, I like going with you giving benefit of the doubt to the people who've earned it. And I just don't see it.
Speaker 1: Well, so let's address that spring season is something that again, we first I think, mentioned to each other when Chris Fowler mentioned it on his Instagram live feed right months ago, that this is a possibility, and I heard it and I said, oh, okay, that's interesting. It's a novel, a novel solution here if you want to call it. That. We're here now. We had talked about it all throughout our off season, episodes over the last couple months. Remember we had Pete Sampson on the show talking all things Notre Dame. He mentioned that he was hearing a lot about the spring season. It depends he talked to a lot of folks out there right now. I think are very like minded, Dan, They're kind of subscribing to your school thought that it doesn't seem like it's practical. I think you. I'm at it from the perspective of, well, the virus it's still going to be a thing comes spring six seven months from now. Testing vaccines like may not be where they need to be in order to actually make this thing go off. And I think that's a reasonable position. There are others who cite a different dimension of player safety, and they talk about playing two seasons in one calendar year. The body needs time to recuperate. Surely you've heard this argument as well. Rhys Davis went on a rant on ESPN earlier after this announcement. Yeah, roll Tide talking about this very thing, So I understand that perspective too.
Speaker 2: I talks about it network, Yeah, talking about how he would advise seniors or anybody with reasonable draft aspirations to fully skip a spring season and not risk it for your future.
Speaker 1: And I get that too. I totally get it. I think if we get a spring season, it's probably like a diet coke version of the normal only bangers Only you're going to have guys bolting for the NFL. I get it. What I would posit is that there is still a lot of money on the line. To your previous point, follow the money in college football, there is so much money on the line, and already a lot of it is going to be lost just because the fall season is not going to be a reality. I guarantee you there are plenty of local businesses. There are certainly networks like esper N, there are institutions that are looking to recoup as much as possible before the end of this academic year. So I just find it hard to believe that if the situation has improved to the point where cases aren't spiking in some locations around the country, and if we feel like we've got a better handle on testing protocol, on safety precautions, on vaccine development, and maybe long term risks of this virus, I think they're going to try and give it a go, even if it's a five or six game bangers on only slate Dan. I think they will give it a go, provided we are in something of a better place than we are now, and Lord knows, we better be. We better be nine February. It'll be really nice. We hope there's no second wave. I know we're entering the winter months here, but presumably if we can do better then we're doing right now. I would think, after months of financial hardship in this particular industry, that there's going to be a huge impetus to try and get some version of a season off the ground. That's why I'm not counting it out.
Speaker 2: I believe it will be discussed in earnest. I believe that they are going to try and by day I mean whatever, conference commissioners, school presidents, whatever. I believe it will be discussed in earnest. I am not a big believer in the situation surrounding the sport. Just again, I give the benefit of the doubt to those who've earned it. There's no central body mandating things, and we've seen that affecting how now the Big ten and PAC twelve have gone about their business, whereas the SEC and ACC are saying, yeah, we're gonna We're gonna sort of hold firm and see what happens. And so when you don't have that sort of consensus, and okay, so what happens if the SEC and ACC are they gonna play ten games in the fall? Is there going to be a playoff if everything goes all right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is does that mean the PAC twelve and Big ten are still going to play in the spring if everything goes off all right in the fall. There are so many moving pieces where it's hard to even consider college football like this standalone entity. So now we're split into these five Power five factions plus some G five conferences who as of this time, have not announced anything in terms of cancelation. I just you have to have so much organization, and you have to have the surrounding situation be so much better. And whether it's a vaccine, whether it's people really taking things a lot more seriously from the top down than they have these past few months, maybe maybe tie, But I think people are I think the people with the power are going to say, especially and this is a tentacle we haven't really discussed yet, especially with the looming question and issue of player empowerment and amateurism and assuming a lot more risk. And I know people are also quick, Oh this is my strawman argument. People are quick to point out, well, this is an age group. These are young, strong, young men who are not affected in the way that perhaps older, more immunal compromise people are affected. Well, if you are to believe the PAC twelve Medical Advisory Board, that's not fully true. In any case, they're assuming more risk, and scholarships have value, room and board, cost of living, all these things have value, cost of attendance, they all have value assuming more risk than usual, which is irrefutable for no more reward and a pretty when you see coaches and athletic directors talking about how big of a financial hit they're going to take in the context of why they really have to see if they should they should be playing football. I think what Scott Frost said, Nebraska might be in the hole between eighty and one hundred and twenty million dollars if there's no football season. When we see those statements, it is eye opening to the players. If you see, you know, the Big twelve United are Big ten United, PAC twelve United, and the Power five United, it's become clear that like we don't have any we don't have any say in this. We don't have any say in this at all. And so what have we learned about conference commissioners and those in power? They like kicking the can where tie as far down the road as possible, as far down the road as possible, And that is not spring. It just isn't. To me.
Speaker 1: The one caveat there is I think the way the players have united, and that the voice behind the player movement, led by the likes of Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields, whether they intended to or not, they've become the face of this. I think that in and of itself will have a real lasting impact on college football. We talk a lot about well, what's going to be the takeaway after all this is said and done. My guess is that the players finding their collective voice is going to have a pretty outsized impact moving forward. This truly has highlighted a number of faults in the system, and so, you know, how does that relate to spring, How does that relate to player safety? Potentially with playing two seasons in one calendar year. You know, we'll see which direction this movement goes from here. But my hunch and assumption is that we have not heard the last of it. These are not topics that are going away, nor, by the way, are any of the other items here that Trevor Lawrence tweeted out that was retweeted by the President. Right, we want to play football this season. That's still going to be true in spring. Maybe not if you're an NFL prospect, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe not for Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 1: But yeah, establish universal mandated health and safety procedures and protocols to protect college athletes against COVID nineteen among all conferences throughout the NCAA. Seems like that's still going to be true. Yeah, give players the opportunity to opt out and respect their decision, going to be true. Guarantee eligibility whether a player chooses to play the season or not. I already mentioned the association bit. I think all of these important topics are going to persist, whether we have a season in the spring of twenty twenty one, the fall of twenty twenty one, or if we got to wait till twenty twenty two. Like, this stuff is not going away, Dan.
Speaker 2: No, And by the way, I did see just with regard to what you just mentioned in terms of the asks from the we are united. Ohio State has done a really good job. They came out and talked about the protocols that they've had for student athletes and football players. Those are staying in place that you know, access to tutoring and dorms and all that is staying in place because there was that concern that a college campus or the specific kind of college experience that major college football players have is better and more structure than what they would be experiencing if they were going home. So the thing I'd really like to see if the health and safety of college athletes, specific to football players on this show, but in general college athletes, if that's so important that we cannot play, we cannot risk things. They have to go so far above and beyond on campus to ensure that this continues. Because you can't out of one side of your mouth say we're looking out for the health and safety contact sport. It's too important for these guys. We're looking after them. We got to do what's in the best interest of them and then send them home. You have to take steps to make sure on campus, off campus, whatever there is structure there is. You know, maybe it's more of a spring football situation where there's practices and scrimmages within everybody, and that there is contact tracing and reasonable bubbles, but those bubbles are probably going to be popped to whatever extent, But that steps are being taken to maximize the health and well being of college athletes, not just when there is a season, but also when the season is canceled. That's what I'd like to see, because it's a total garbage move. If all of the Sudden Cal athletes are just sent home, or Minnesota athletes are sent home, Penn State athletes are sent home, you're not looking after them. Then you're really not doing them a service by saying you can't play. But also, you know now our hands are cleaned, see you next year. That's just garbage, I think I agree.
Speaker 1: I would ask that folks out there right in Solidverbo at gmail dot com, let us know what your thoughts are now that the season for at least the Big Ten and Pac twelve is done. So let's play it subject a little humor here do you think will happen with the other conferences? What do you think should happen in the world of college football? How do you feel about a spring season? You can either email US sliverbalotgmail dot com. You can call in for a weight verbal one. We're going to open the reverbal line here because yeah, not sure when we'll open it next.
Speaker 2: I think they are all wanting to play, like they're not wanting to play in a certain way, like we will play. This protocol has met this protocols, they'll want to play. They all intend to play at six pm Central time on Tuesday, what's the eleventh of August. Yes, there there are going to be certain things at play. There are going to be certain optics at play where if all of a sudden, there's an outbreak at a fall camp at I'm just making this up TCU or NC state, that's like a serious, serious, thirty four players kind of thing, then it becomes very very difficult. I don't think they're going to push through through a nightmare scenario.
Speaker 1: I really don't.
Speaker 2: I think there is going to be a tipping point. They're not going to push through no matter what. But I believe all three are going to try to play. Ultimately. I think something's going to happen in one of those conferences that's going to tip it in the Big ten or Pac twelve's direction. That's my guess. Total guests.
Speaker 1: We should also add here, not to be outdone, the Mountain West canceled their fall season. We saw separate announcements from UMass and Old Dominion, both of which have canceled their fall season. They're going to explore the season in the spring quote if feasible. This has been a recurring theme. We've talked about the trickle up effect on this show ever since the Ivy League announced its intentions. We have seen that filter its way back up to the Power five ranks now with the Big Ten making its announcement. For those wondering, the Big Ten is significant because the Big Ten is literally the richest conference, It's the richest in terms of money. For them to come out and announce first, it definitely lays down a marker.
Speaker 2: Can we and I'm sort of putting you on the spot here because it's not like we prep this at all, But it's one of those things where I really haven't fully unpacked I haven't parted the information kimono here on this yet, but can we talk briefly about what we now won't have? Is that too depressing right now? In terms of like team by team storyline, player interesting new pathway, like I was specifically looking forward to Joe Morehead running an Oregon offense. Joe Moorehead moved his family from Mississippi to Eugene, Oregon to coach Oregon this fall. I don't get to see that. As an Oregon fan. I don't get to see the maybe most talented, most dangerous looking Oregon defense of the modern era. That's a bumber to me as an Oregon fan, and I guess for people that are moderately interested in college football nationally, don't get to see the first year of Jimmy Lake in Seattle taking over for Chris Peter. Don't get to see Nick Rolovich, although that might be okay, it's okay. Don't get to see Jonathan Smith and Oregon State's improvement and building a nice, interesting defense. Your guy Chase Garber is at CAL. We don't get to see year two of Keaton slovas a potential Heisman candidate at USC, year two of Jaden Daniels at ASU. We don't get to see how Utah reloads after a pretty fantastic twenty nineteen in the Big Ten. Michael Parsons had already opted out, but that Penn State team in terms of what they are returning on both sides of the ball. Pretty loaded, right.
Speaker 1: Pretty loaded. I think Justin Fields is a goner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I mean, we've seen the last of Justin Fields in Ohio State uniform. Unless I mean that could be like a I'm trying to think of recently at Tebow Mariota. I mean, Tibo didn't have the NFL prospect situation. You know, Matt Barkley returned after thinking I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't hard to see a situation in which Justin Fields is going to be back in Columbus. I think he's in effect a pro football player this day forward. You know, we already saw the likes over Shan Bateman in the Big Ten. Declare ron Dale Moore declared shortly after we hit the stop button, I think on our last podcast. So some of these big names that have an NFL future, we've certainly seen the last of them.
Speaker 2: But you know, just a lot of Raka running the Penn State offense. Kurt t I Roka.
Speaker 1: I was going to say a lot of lingering questions around some of those top teams in the Big Ten. You know, we have a lot of fun talking about the Michigan Wolverines and ribbing at fans a little bit, but genuine curiosity over here around what that team was going to look like a different quarterback and you know some of the changes I know that they were making. So it's Mel Tucker at State, Mel Talker team in year one. Yeah, just it sucks, and you know, nobody telling Nebraska. I think Nebraska still thinks it might be able to play and if they can find a way to do it safely, then Winnipeg Blue Bombers, more power to Saskatchewan Roughriders, BC Lions, Tron Argos, Nebraska carn a lot of questions that we had I think started to prepare in advance of the Big Ten previous show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Nebraska themselves. They hired they hired a new offensive coordinator in Matt Lubick, who had coached with Scott frosted Oregon really successfully. That would have been interesting to see if they took a were to take a step forward on offense. I mean across the Big Ten. I mean Wisconsin, you know who replaces Jonathan Taylor? What is that? And I mean we know what that offense would have looked like. But you know, does Northwestern bounce back with an okay offense. Maybe probably it's a bummer because we really didn't begin to think about what interested us about the twenty twenty Big twelve or Big ten in Pact twelve seasons. But now that even just on this show, reflecting on what is just vanishing into thin air, I'm even sadder, and I'm sorry I brought it up. I really am, like there are just there are too many who starts at quarterback from Maryland. Josh Jackson opted out right correct and Talia Tungovailoa was given immediate eligibility. What does Greg Schiano's returned to Rutgers look like. I know Rutgers has been a particularly bad situation for public health recently, but you know, brought in a bunch of big name transfers Michigan, Ohio State guys could have been a little spicy by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: It's tough, yeah, and you look around college football. I had some time on my hands this afternoon. I watched some of the ESPN coverage. I think Kirk Curve Street and Rhys Davis everyone that they had on brought up really good points. You know, nobody was arguing necessarily for or against this decision, just talking about what it means in context. And my guess is that we're going to have a lot of time to reflect on exactly what it means to us because there is likely more of this to come. Hope I'm wrong, likely more of this to come.
Speaker 2: I just thought about a fall without Michael Conningham hurtsty but I get it all right, So more to come. We are back later in the week, and I don't know that we'll have good news, but I think we'll have some kind of news, and I think we'll have more clarity, which is at least a positive sort of silver lining type situation in a tie. I had to live through a dad itcha the other day. Do you know what that is? In line? Thunderstorm? Yeah, Midwest is different, man. When we were out in California Jodie with an, I was like, do you guys have summer storms? Is that like? When does that happen?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Uh eighty three? And Sonny, my friend, that's what it's like every day. So I experienced the first one of those and it was it was fine. Somebody asked me, a friend of mine in California, when I said that we got a tornado warning. He was like, oh, you go down to the basement. And I asked my wife and she's like, now, you don't go to the baby. If you hear sirens, if your alarms, then you go to the basement. Apparently, so that's all new to me. So Midwesterners, let me know how to proceed with weather situations in the late summer, fall and winter, because it's apparently different. The lake effect is a thing that I have never been used to. Hey, not just Midwest things, but yeah, it has been twelve years since, Yeah, you want to get sentimental, twelve.
Speaker 1: Years since I last had a Saturday in the fall where I could like go out and do normal stuff without having one eye glued to the TV.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm going to miss those text messages of like I'm at my cousin's baptism, I'm sneaking the Michigan State Michigan game underneath a pew. What am I missing? I'm on a delay here? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Those were good texts.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to have to take up golf or something. I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're getting in shape, That's what I've been tweet and Shaman Tai do you not getting Yeah, you're getting cartoonishly yoked. Okay, do you have given your physical limitations? I want to end the show on a happy note. Do you have a an area for improvement that you'd like to target this fall.
Speaker 1: An area for improvement?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You want to look at you want to work on your arms? You want legs, you want core? Do you want stamina? Do you want high end speed? What do you look into?
Speaker 1: A well? Who doesn't want high end speed? But I would say I would like to do some flexibility training. Okay. Pliometrics, Yeah, I mean if that's what that is, but something some sort of flexibility training I think would go a long way.
Speaker 2: How are you with yoga?
Speaker 1: Oh god, no, no, I've never done yoga, probably for good reason.
Speaker 2: All right. Pliometrics are maximum force in short intervals.
Speaker 1: That's a little bit different.
Speaker 2: It's increasing power, speed, strength. Okay, flexibility you would do good with Yoga's great?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, we're gonna have time.
Speaker 2: I'd like just this, aren't we And we're gonna have plenty of plenty of time. I'd like to get back out on the tennis court. That's that's a specific thing because it's a really good, socially distant sport. Tie sure, and I know a couple of tennis players out here, So that's what I'm aiming to do. But I guess I'm gonna have to go inside at a certain point in tennis there. But that's my goal. That's my goal, get back on the tennis court. I have some some respecs I've been.
Speaker 1: Of course, you do.
Speaker 2: I've been itching to throw on. Ready, we're talking about a high level high school player here, ty, come on, it's true, all right, that's all I.
Speaker 1: Have solid verbal at gmail dot com. Don't forget to write in. Let us know your thoughts on the matter. More to come, I would expect, So keep that email address handy. Also keep four oh eight verbal one in your speed dial. That's four oh eight eight three seven two two five one. Give us a hollower. We're gonna cut all those up. We'll play them on our Thursday show, and we'll continue to use the reverblind wherever possible. Now that we're all kind of going through this together, we appreciate you downloading the show. If you haven't already subscribed, please do so out on Spotify, on Apple, on Google. Leave us a review if you like the show. Obviously, we don't know what this means for us, just in terms of a recording schedule. We do know that we're going to continue recording for the foreseeable future. We have no reason not to. This is cathartic Dan, for me, cathartic for you. We need to talk to each other at least once a week, at.
Speaker 2: Least starting next week washed Wednesdays. Tips for the person growing older and more tired constantly.
Speaker 1: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, For myself, Tie Hildebrand, thanks again for downloading the show.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to.
Speaker 1: You in a few days. In the meantime, stay safe, stay solid, Peace,