Speaker 1: Welcome a Point Game with John Wall and CJ TOLDONNOD presented by DraftKings. Don't forget. DraftKings is your home for all the action across the NBA and gets too close to the game. We all love. The crown is yours. On today's episode, we are joined by the fourth time NBA Champ, eight time All Defensive Team, two times Gold medalist, one of the best podcasters in the game, Draymond Green, is joining us on Point Game. But first, John Man, how you feeling.
Speaker 2: I'm great, bro, Great, great to have a guy like Dremond on. I mean a lot of people don't respect him and understand what he brings to the game, what he does for his team, but it goes a long way. So it's great to have a brush line that that want to join our podcast and also has his own podcast, so it means a lot to us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he drops some incredible stories and insights, including a little bit of preview about what we're seeing here in the playoffs. But I wanted to talk about this past weekend because yesterday Sunday we had two games and I'm dying to hear what you thought your reaction. So let's start with it with the Big one Nuggets Timberwolves Game seven, the reigning champs. You know everyone, I think I feel like thought, we're gonna see the Nuggets. They just won three in a row. It's gonna it's gonna be them again. So give me a reaction to watching that game seven yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well for me, that's why I always say, like a twenty point leading vide don't mean shit. Yeah you know what I mean, Like it was up thirty eight to fifty eight with like ten men's and forty seconds and fifty seconds ago in the third quarter. I mean, but Minnesota, like a young team and a lot of people, certainly one throughout the playoffs, but throughout just the season, they get rattled. I mean, they don't have nobody to calm them down. And I think just they composure with like Mike Conley being their leader and man being who he was not having a great game. It wasn't having a great game, I mean, but stuck with it, kept fighting. And I told people before, like if you're picking up somebody full court throughout a whole seven game, serious and that later on your legs get tired, like you start having mistakes. And I think if I was Denver, I would have let Aaron go and bring the ball up a little bit more. I mean, so Jamal Murray don't get so fatigued and tired because a man picking up full court and he got Jadie mcdain's picking on the full court and Alexander Walker picking him up full court, you know. I mean, so he had it going in the first abe, I think he got a little bit of tired, and the same with Yogas, like he damned there played the whole second half, but Minnesota kept chipping away, chipping the chipping away, chipping away, and they close it out.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit about you said Ant didn't have a great game, and so I still feel like he added to this game, was a big part of it. Like he wasn't hitting his shots, he couldn't get it going offensively. But let's talk about what he did right, you know, and what his teammates did right to bring him back in this game and win it.
Speaker 2: What I always tell people before, it's like being a point guard that can score, or just been a two guard that's a score. How can you impact the game in other ways when your SHOT's not falling Defensively, still being aggressive, making the right reads, getting a lot of sists, rebound the ball, and man did that for twenty four but he hit big timely shots. You feel me, Like the end of the third quarter he hit a step back three. He cut the lead from four to one. Then he get it still on Jamar Murray in the fourth. Right after he was on the bench, he said, coach is tapping him on the chase. I'm gonna get in my bag. I'm gonna get in my bag, you know what I mean. So he still had that mindset like I don't care if I'm missing shots. I can still impact the game in so many ways. So his defense is energy. All that kept it going. And then they bench, They bench was going like when it was getting stopped. They benched jumping up and down. And you need that because when you were on the road, it's nobody else with you. So it's fifteen guys in the coaching staff and then shots start falling and then I knew it was over. And Rudy good Barry that turned around. I said, all, yeah, they not winning when those type of shots start going. And I'm like, yeah, you're not winning. But just to have that momentum bro, like just to know you still got heart not to give up, like most teams in that position would. It gave up down twenty in the middle of the third. So it was a big time for them. So I'm definitely excited to see them versus the Mavericks.
Speaker 1: Well let's talk about the Nuggets too. I can't help but wonder if you have a Bruce Brown or a Jeff Green out there. I feel like people are like, they'll make it up, They're gonna have their young guys developed them over this year. Do you think having those or missing those guys kind of affect them in the long running this series?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. Like I said before, I think even though.
Speaker 2: The tim Woods bench didn't score a lot of points, they got like twenty to twenty four minutes from Alexander Walker and from Nasried. Those are big fucking minutes, you know what I mean, When your guys need a break, those are big minutes. And you don't got to score. How can impact the game? I mean just making stops, doing extra stuff. Like I think the most minutes I think somebody from the Nuggets bench party got was like ten or eleven, you know, I mean, that's a big difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Jamal Murray, I think, what right?
Speaker 2: I think Reggie Jackson only played like five minutes, so he really didn't get a break. So you go back to what I'm say if I'm picking him up for court the whole game, and he had it going in the first half, then later on the second half, like get tell, those shots that was easy became tougher because he got a little bit more tired And that was the pressure that Tim Woods kept on him throughout the whole game and saying with yokis like Yoka is the hell of a fucking player.
Speaker 3: We know Yoki, Yeah, but you can.
Speaker 2: Tell like he played them in the whole second half and the shots that he was making early started to come a little bit short because he had to play so much on both ends of the floor.
Speaker 1: Can we show some love to Kat too? Like I know we were talking about Kat was going to be a major factor. There was some you know, not not I don't want to say not smart, but like he wasn't doing that thing where he was driving sort of out of control, Like I felt like he was composed. He hit some big shots, came up defensively, like what was Kat doing that?
Speaker 3: Hell, well just not even just cat.
Speaker 2: Get shout out the cat, but sure, but Jadie mcdanie's too, right, Like he made big shots, like on that run, he was getting defensive stops, he was making corner threes, you know what I mean. Then he was getting like offic three rounds like Kevin Kat had big moments and you got to enjoy that. But like I always say, it's role players have to play well on the road in big games for you to win. They do it at home and you go to Indiana Series, what did they role players do today yesterday? Made big shots and play well, they win the game. The same thing with t Wolves. Early on their role players were just okay, but they kept them close and didn't get it going. Really, he made some shots, but he didn't get it going for real like we used to have been having them there thirty thirty five every game forty.
Speaker 3: He didn't have that.
Speaker 2: But his guy stepped up when he needed them. And then when it came to be that guy and to make the big shots, to make the right plays, and man was there for that. So you gotta give a shout out just not the Cat and Jade mcday, but to their whole team yeah.
Speaker 1: So well, we'll talk a little bit a bit about it later about this MAVs and Timberwolves matchup, like two I don't want to say youngest teams, but two teams we didn't think we're gonna be there. And you know, the Kyrie and Luca backcourt versus you know, and older Conley and a newer guy. What do you think it's gonna happen there? Who? I know you've been saying the MAVs are a favorite of years in these playoffs and if they got far, so what do you think now after watching that Game seven, how the timberold stepped up. How do you think they match up against the MAVs?
Speaker 3: They match up will I mean, it's a great matchup.
Speaker 2: But like Colley's I always say he's one of the most underrated point guards of all time to me because he just does his job, run his team, make big shots, doesn't turn the ball over. I loved him when he was with Memphis, I mean, with Marca Saul and Tony Allen and Zat Randolph and all those guys.
Speaker 3: But now it's Jaden Mdane's and man versus Kyrie and Luca. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Because those two are two Dogs and Tim Wolves, and you got to lock up those two guys. And I know that he was one a Series three one in the regular season, but they didn't have j Washington, didn't have Daniel Gafford in those guys are playing at a high level. So it's gonna be exciting to see for me, Like, I'm definitely trying to go to a game, got to see what's going on. Yeah, I don't know, it's like this because I love the way Man is right now. Bro, Like Man is a dog, He's on his level. He's he feels like it's his time, you know what I mean, Like he's not waiting, he feels like it's his time. But it's amazing to see. You see Luke and Kyrie from last year when they did they trade make the playoffs, yeah to now then the West Combs Finals, and you got to give a shout out to Derrick Jones.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean, like he's locking up, he's taking all the tough coverages. Yeah, and he's making big shots and scoring the ball over the end like that nobody expected. So shout out to Derick Jones, man, Like, I feel like it's gonna be a citing serious because he's gonna challenge it man, you know what I mean? And man gonna challenge him. So I'm ready to see that series.
Speaker 1: How much I've seen writers talking about the naivete or like almost the delusion, you know, and it's about he's twenty two, He's about to play some guys, you know Kyrie who he probably watched as a kid in and idolized. But he's just like, I don't care almost how much do you think that helps him? Is that like a superpower of his that he doesn't care who's about to play?
Speaker 3: Bro? Yes, look at it? Who is his favorite player? Kevin Durant?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How do he go with Kevin Durant and the first round?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like he said, it's like it's cool, bro, Like you can idolize whoever. You can monitor a game after somebody and think a certain person that go. But when it's my time, it's my time. And that's how a man feel, Like I love Kevin Durant. Go all to respect with Kevin Durant. That's what I looked up to. But it's my time. Yeah, And he's not backing down. Some people get in that moment where they idolize somebody and see that person, they don't go at them the same way they go with somebody else. He's going to KD like, shit, you got what I want? Yeah, and you got to respect that.
Speaker 1: That's dope. Okay. I wanted to talk about Game seven Knicks Pacers, which I think was a shock to a lot of people. Everyone was high on the Knicks. No shot for.
Speaker 3: You, No no shot at all. That reason. Why no shot because.
Speaker 2: I knew Josh R was hurt with a dominant train, and I'd give him all the respect of most respect because I know how I feel to play through that, you know. I mean, like I had that injury when I played against the Nuggets. After I dunked the ball, I had the rest of the game and I couldn't move the way I wanted to, you know what I mean. But for him to get there four hours before the before the game, when the before the lights is on, to get up shot just to see if he can play, then you gotta give a shot at the ogn and ob just to try to attempt to get out there. He looked at Yeah, he made two shots, but you could just tell he couldn't even run like he couldn't even lift his.
Speaker 3: Leg to move.
Speaker 2: So I just think the injuries wore him down or they didn't get the same impact from the players they wanted, and the patience came out being aggressive. But the main thing was Halliburd bro. Yeah, when he come out aggressive, they're a different team. When he come out past him and not looking to score, they'd be a different team. But said the tone though, numby being there before being in the game seven on the road or at home. He came out letting him know, like we can win here. We've been close before, we can win here. So that wasn't a shock to me because just because the injuries that the Knicks had, Yeah, well I was shocked.
Speaker 1: You uh, you know what, here's my thought. You know, I feel like people are I don't want to add onto the pile one of the Knicks fans, and I know I have a lot of Knicks friends or fan friends, and everyone's excited. But the window isn't as big as I think everyone is describing. You know, we had the Sixers team that came in not healthy. They didn't win.
Speaker 3: You know, the.
Speaker 1: Pacers knocked on the Bucks, and the Pacers are a newer team to the playoffs again and they beat them. And I think that the Knicks there is an issue here about Tibbs playing seven guys over plans to these guys Josh Hart, you said, was her og interviews her. I do think that there wasn't this like almost like being able to conserve his roster a little bit better for these longer series. So and and we again we've talked about him episodes. Tyres Haliburton hasn't gotten to going the way he was in the first half the season, and he got it going fourteen that first quarter, and I was like, man, this is gonna be tough for the Knicks. And I loved if you watch that whole game, which I know you did, the Knicks were slowly, they were having these little runs eight no eight no runs, and the Pacers came back because they had I think they're you know, their defense was being criticized this whole year. I thought they played incredible defense, and they were hitting big shots from their role players neamhar like getting rebounds, so I wasn't shocked. I was I was like, man, this is this is exciting because I do think that they do have a chance against the Celtics, especially with porzingis hurt. But yeah, man, I think uh, I think people were hyping up the Knicks a little bit too much, and I think the Pacers came and did what they've been doing that you know, sort of made this, uh made them a playoffs team. So yeah, it's gonna be it'll be more interesting. I'm rocking the Pacers sack because I do think it might be an interesting Eastern Conference Finals more than people are are hyping it up to be not hyping up to be.
Speaker 3: So I think it'd be interesting.
Speaker 1: But I think, I mean, I know the Celtics were your pick from the middle of.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying because they've been there before.
Speaker 2: I watched him play in the finals against the Warriors two years ago with a two year ago yeah, two years ago. Yeah, yeah, So I know they got the pieces to do it, and I know they like they made the trade to get Drawiday. Somebody's been there before, they can keep them settle.
Speaker 3: Uh. I just think it's like what all Present has been there now it has to be great for them. Yeah, you know what I mean, because.
Speaker 2: Before he was the back of the row where he didn't have to be special, just come in and spot mens and do his job, and I think he has to.
Speaker 3: Be special for them.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, it's if Jalen Brunton gave you fits for seven games, right, you have Tatum and Brown is gonna give you fits.
Speaker 3: Now It's not just one player, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's multiple guys that can go get forty or fifty any moments.
Speaker 3: So I think it'd be a siting. I think it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 2: But I feel like for them holding Preziingers back the first two games, I think the Celtis feel comfortable, yeah, because if not, you would have bought Brazilians back. Now we had a lot of time off, he's been resting, and I think if you can hold him out a little bit longer and wait to the finals to have him if you get there, and that's better for them. That's how I look at it. For them, they're looking at the bigger picture because if not, they lose game one. You know, you know, I go when Dallas played Utah a couple years ago, they said, luk out the first couple games, Jaalen Brusting and Spencer Dimwity was going crazy, right and all right, we won the first game are we gonna hold look it back another game?
Speaker 3: Just save you now. He can be conservative.
Speaker 2: Now if the such to lose game one, you don't know, Brazilians might pop out that game too. Hold on now. So we'll see though. But I'm really excited for the MAVs and t Wolves here though.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well conference finals are here. It's gonna be dope. One last question before we go to break. Some video came out. You were up at euybl and your AAU team was playing up in Indianapolis and you met the new Kentucky coach Mark Pope. Just want to get you know a little bit. What was the exchange you guys had and how was that meeting?
Speaker 2: It shocked me because I just went to you know, I was going, like I said, I was going to watch games, and uh he was right there. So he dapped somebody up and instead of like what's something, I'm like, what's up? I said? H. I said, all respect, all respect to you, wish you the best of look there, and I'm always gonna support the school, I mean, no matter what. Like I love coach Kyle, you know, I mean I've seen Cayl when I was down to also talked to him. Talk to all the guys that's there that went with them, and they's still love for the school I played for, you know. I mean like they got love for me. I'm in the Hall of Fame there, so there's no love lost, you know. I mean like I still respect coach Kyle. I'm still gonna show a love to Coach Kyle. I'm still gonna go to games. But I also wanted to build a relationship with the new coach. I mean, because that's the school that I went to when I played for, and I met coach Jason Hardale was right there and he was like, don't worrybody, bro, We're gonna ma sure you get all the gear.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna get you all the gear that's coming through. And I was like, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I respect it, but just just to see him bitterlytionship with him, get to know him a little bit and try to figure out how you got things going and what path he's going with you.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: So it was all love and respect and we dap each other up. Then I went to another game later on after I got some ful. He was like, are you following me everywhere? I'm like, no, you're probably looking at the star player the same way I want to see the star player play. So it was exciting just to get a little chemistry and better relationship with him.
Speaker 1: That's dope. I saw people yelling, big balloon. It's just cool, my.
Speaker 2: Because you gotta you know, you know, Kentucky's right there right in the enda's not too far from Kentucky. So, like I said, walking through and meeting people and seeing people, it was so many Kentucky fans there.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. All right, Well, we're gonna hit break here. We're gonna have Draymond Green joining us next on Point Game percent by Draft Kings.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Point Game with John Wall and CJ Toldonnald percent it by DraftKings. We are so excited right now to welcome for time NBA All Star, four time NBA Champion forward for the Golden State Warriors, Ladies and gentlemen, Draymond Green on Point Game. What up, Draymond?
Speaker 3: What's up? Fellas? How y'all doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: I appreciate y'all having me appreciate it. Hey, you forgot me.
Speaker 2: He had two time gold meda Olympics and one Defensive Player of the year. So don't forget this.
Speaker 1: I only got so much.
Speaker 2: You got to do that, and and broadcasting appreciate it. Jay got to give him that. That's my most important job these days, broadcasting.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna actually start off the interview by saying, I mean, we just saw you on TV a few hours ago doing Inside, and you got the podcast that's killing You're killing it off the court right now, and it's you know, one of the first years of you not in the postseason. So I just wanted to see how you're feeling about that, Like you've been able to just sit back and kind of like analyze these whole playoffs, and I want to know how that feels to do for the first time.
Speaker 5: You know what, it's been a different experience watching the playoffs from the beginning, essentially without a dog in the fight, you know, you know, you're not watching it for you know, what could be a matchup later in the series or you know, scouting teams, kind of just watching it as a fan, you know, and breaking down the game obviously on the podcast and doing Inside last night. But it's been a totally different experience for me. It's one that if I'm honest, I've tried to enjoy every bit of it, from the extra time off that I haven't had, and spending time with my family, going to some events like F one Miami with my friends that I have never been to, and so trying to enjoy it yet but at the same time, and sitting and understanding, like, yo, next year, like we need to be back in the fight.
Speaker 4: It's no fun sitting over here on the sideline and.
Speaker 2: Watching, yeah, for sure, Like basically speaking on that, like what do you think you and your warriors got to do to get back to that deep playoff run?
Speaker 3: You know me?
Speaker 2: Because when you're so used to seeing y'all in the playoffs and you see y'all out early, it's like we don't expect it at all, you know, I mean, because I know that's what you're used to. And like you said, we're definitely embracing the time to be around your family and go to turin events you missed. But I know you who the dog you are. You want to be in the playoffs. You want to be competing for a championship one percent.
Speaker 4: Jay Waller.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I think it's just my way in my mind of trying to tell myself, I'm okay, you know, trying to like trying to fool myself into believing like, yo, I'm good, Like it's cool. But the reality is, I think, uh, you know, like when I really take a step back and look at it, like from an honest advantage point, like I gotta play, like I gotta be out there. I played fifty five games this year, which is not nearly enough to help this team be successful. I played fifty five games. We won forty forty six games this year. Yeah, we're forty six and thirty six, you know, So if I don't miss.
Speaker 4: Twenty seven games, Uh yeah, I think that's the man.
Speaker 5: If I don't miss twenty seven games, say we win half of those games, you know, half of the twenty seven I missed, all of a sudden, we're a fifty plus win team, you know, and it's a totally different ball game. And so I think for me, it's just understanding the stakes, understanding you know, where where my growth need to be in and being available for my team so that I know we're not dropping games that we're supposed to win. When I look at this season, we probably lost ten games literally that we easily should have won, you know, and that is a direct impact on a direct inflection of me missing games, us not building the continuity that we need to build in order to win at the highest level. And I got to take that on the chain, you know, when you when everybody want to celebrate when the glory is there, everybody want it's me, it's me, But when it don't go so well, we all want to point the finger the other way, you know. For me, I take that on the chain. I fucked this season off and I have to be better. And I think, you know, with me being better, I think you know, we're capable of still winning. Do we need to shore some things up. Of course, every team in the NBA, I don't care who the team is. If a team win a championship this year, you have to get better. Can't fool ourselves. We didn't make the playoffs, so we got a lot of growing to do. And I think, you know, with a few tweaks here and there, I think this team can make another run at it. Because when I look at these teams that's in the playoffs now, I don't see any of them that can't be beat. And so, you know, if we could put it back together, which I have no doubt that we will.
Speaker 3: I think we could be right back there. Yeah, I think right on the nose.
Speaker 2: Just because you said, like you're the leader, you know what I mean, you the voice of that team, the dog he brings to that team. You just get them. A lot of players that don't have that if the other if that they wish they had. And you could tell when you're not there, it's a big difference. And you know you probably heard your whole crib people say, well Dremond not did goodies not that good. It doesn't matter. I impact the game in so many ways. I don't have to score. I don't have to get thirty for my team. And when I do the little things, and you could tell you can feel the impact when you wasn't there a lot of games.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and honestly, if when I'm sitting at home watching like I could feel it. You know, I'm not an idiot, Like I'm not crazy, so you know, to sit there and watch it like that shit burned me up, man like, because I know, you know, I see certain things and I'm like, man like, I should have been right there, like and I know I would have been there to cut that off, like, oh man, this guy just went for forty. Although that's not my match up, per se, that wouldn't have been my match up. I could have affected our defense in a way to where that guy didn't get forty, to where he didn't feel as comfortable because I could have came and helped. I could have done this to kind of throw off their you know, throw off their momentum. So, man, when I'm sitting at home watching it, like I know, it's not the same team, and by the way, like.
Speaker 4: It shouldn't be.
Speaker 5: You know, if we miss I think, you know, especially for what I do on both ends of the floor, obviously for what I do on the defensive end of the floor, but also being a playmaker on the floor for our offense. Like I can sit there and watch it and I know, you know, if STEP's not out there, if play's not out there, it's a different team, you know, and it changes the dynamic of the team completely. And so now, man, it's just really having that sense of accountability, knowing accepting where I fell short of the glory.
Speaker 4: And making sure I do the things I have to do to correct that.
Speaker 1: For sure, Yeah, dream on it. It is a big what if and I love what you said about if you had played in the games that you miss you would have won at least half of those, right, And so just getting you guys in the postseason, I feel like it resets, like your record doesn't matter. You guys are the you know, dynastic Warriors. So like, how and we're seeing these young teams in the playoffs, like you guys have a different mentality in playoffs, Like there's a playoff Lebron, Like I think there's a playoff Warrior, So like, how how far do you think you guys could have gone if you just made that plass Because it really all it was is you had one bad game to play in for sure.
Speaker 5: You know what, when I sit back and that's well number one, that's one of the reasons you want to try to avoid the play in. Like we've been in the player now a couple of times. We fell misserable each time, and you know, and just understanding like that college type vibe where listen, you got one game and you need everything to go right in that game because the best team isn't always going to win that one game, which is what makes the NBA playoffs so special.
Speaker 4: It's like usually over the course of a.
Speaker 5: Seven game series, more often than not, the better team is going to win the series. Over the course of a seven game series. And when you get into the play in situation, if you're nine to ten and you got one game and need to win to get a second one. If you're the seven eight, you got two games, but it's just it's no guaranteed you're gonna shoot well, Like, it's too many variables going into it that at this level we're no longer accustomed to. You know, you're not accustomed to the one and dumb mentality anymore. So I think for us, number one is trying to avoid that playing like it's too dangerous, you know, we haven't been successful in it.
Speaker 4: But then also.
Speaker 5: Understanding for us that if we get in the playoffs, there's anyone that wants to face us.
Speaker 3: Like if you are.
Speaker 5: One seed a two seed, you do all of this work all year and then you gotta face us in the first round. Nobody want to fucking do that. You know, it was like Miami this year, Like Boston does all this work all year and then you face Miami heat in the first round. Now, granted, Jimmy Butler was hurt kind of changes the series a ton, but psychologically what that can do to you. And so I know that for us to get in, just get in, give ourselves a chance. Like when we won the championship in twenty twenty two, I remember telling my boys right before the playoffs started, like, y'all, I'll see all that F one that was the first year at F one Miami. And I'm like, yo, I'll see all that F one because we're not winning, Like I can't see us making the past.
Speaker 4: The first round like I and.
Speaker 5: And we want a championship, you know, And that's just like giving ourselves a chance to actually do it and look at the outcome. And so I think for us, the mindset just have to be to get there and not get there through the play and make sure we have a good enough season where we're in that top six. And then once you in the top six, injuries happen, anything happening from there, it's just the roll of the shake of the dice tracks.
Speaker 2: So you, out of all people, know what it takes to win the finals and be a champion. What team you watch so far in the playoff you think got the opportunity and got the keys to win the outside of the Nuggets, because you know they won it last year. If you see any other team other than the Demos, the one team you really see that got what it is, it takes man.
Speaker 5: Honestly, the team that I love right now is Dallas. And the reason I love Dallas is they have every piece that you need in order to win win the championship. They got wing defenders, they got big men and a couple of big men that they can rotate. Dwight Potle doesn't even play. Dwight Potle is a very service super big man in the NBA does not see the court, you know. When so when you look at a the depth that they have, you know, you got Josh Green coming off the bench that can mix it up. Tim Hardaway off the bench that hasn't had necessarily the shooting year that we've brought a custom to him happening in his career. But you know, at any moment he can get hot. A couple of games ago, Game two, he got hot. He changed the game in the second half, you know. So I just think that they are a team that has the pieces around the guys to make it all work. You know, when you look at Luca. When you look at Kyrie and what they bring to the game, like those are two of the most unguardable guys in our league. You know, on any given night they both can go for forty. That is the makeup of a championship team because it's can you win on those nights when your stars can't get it gone? Can your defense uphold you enough just to give you a chance to win? And their defense has done that with the additions of Big Daniel Gafford, with the addition of PJ. Washington, Derrick Jones Junior being there this year has changed their defensive mentality. And so you know, those guys and so man, I just think they got the pieces to do it now. I do think it's going to fall on Luca's mindset, Like what when I see Luca at times this year, I'm saying, I say, damn, Luca, RAI to win a championship. He defended, he competed, But are you going to do that when it don't go well? You know, when it's not going great, when the team is making a run, are you still going to compete that same way?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: And I think that's the next step for Luca and I know he's more than capable of that because he's able.
Speaker 4: To do that in spurts. So now how much longer can you put that together?
Speaker 5: And then also I think the leadership of Kyrie, man, Like, nobody want to get that man this credit because all the things that he'd been through, the leadership of Kyrie has been stellar.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: And when you.
Speaker 5: Watch the growth of a young guy like Kyrie who thought he was a leader, fell miserably as a leader, then come out and say I failed. I know why, and you see him make the corrections, like you can only respect that. So I think that team is poised for a run. They got it right there in front of him.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking on Kyrie because I feel like, you know, so many people were him like he's done, he's washed. Like even I'm a Lakers famby boy, like we don't need Kyrie, the Kyrie of Old's Gune and he's obviously come back here. What do you attribute Kyrie? You know, feeling like he's fitting in. He's probably gonna be in Dallas for a minute now, Like, what do you attribute that?
Speaker 4: That too?
Speaker 5: Number one, the growth of Kyrie. You know, everybody wants to take credit for a guy when they do well. No one wants to take the blame for a guy when they're failing. And so number one, the growth of Kyrie, the structure of his life. You know, when you take a step back and you look at Kyrie's life. And by the way, we don't know his life. I'm not going to sit here and try to act like through a TV screen we know his life. But you get a good sense of what someone's life is just by watching them and how they operate this entire thing. And number one, the structure of his life. Always with his wife, always with his kids, focused on the task at hand, doing everything that he can do with this team, Like you know, at times, I think, and when you're a great player, is gonna happen. I think at times sometimes Luca tend to overdribble or want to overdo.
Speaker 4: It at times.
Speaker 5: Now, I've never been Luka Donci's I've never had that responsibility as a as an NBA player, so I can imagine it has to be some of that, right, Like, in order to be one of those guys, you gotta press the issue a little bit.
Speaker 4: So I get it.
Speaker 5: But when you have a guy like Kyrie, Irvis sometimes you don't have to press the issue. You can just get off of it. And a lot of times when you see stuff like that, gods dropped their heads, god slump their shoulders walking back, they're bickering each other.
Speaker 4: You never, ever, ever, no matter.
Speaker 5: The situation, see that from Kyrie. Ever, whether it's toward Luka Doncis, whether it's tour Tim Hardaway, whether Derek Jones, Julian don't make the extra swing swing to Kyrie. You never see Kyrie drop his shoulders or anything. They miss the shot, they could turn the ball over. He's like, Yo, come on, let's go, Let's get back. Like his demeanor and attitude is what I think is really carrying his team. And man, I'm so thankful to see his growth because I know how it is when everybody's trying to tear you down, like j Wall. You know how that feel when everybody trying to tear you down, when you're in a position of you know, the position that we're in in the NBA and specific all starting like these people build you up just to tear you down. And watched everybody trying to tear that man down in the way he shook back the way he's continued to grow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a lot of teams.
Speaker 5: Lakers included a lot of teams saying, ah, man, we don't need Kyrie no more. And you see what he's going to Dallas and doing. Then, Also credit to Nico Harrison. I think it's very important that they gave Kyrie a safe space to beat Kyrie. They didn't ask Kyrie. You know, I had Mark Cuban on my show a couple of months ago. They didn't ask Kyrie to come in there and be somebody different than who Kyrie is.
Speaker 4: And they took the time.
Speaker 5: Nico obviously been building that relationship for a long time through Nike, but they've taken the time to get to know the man. And when you take the time to get to know the man, you're seeing the product of that on the court. And I think it's some beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can tell you he said. He said, I feel like I'm at home. You feel like he had peace. He don't have to worry about trying to fake it to be somebody he's not. And that's the biggest kid, He's going to be yourself. And also he say he's learned, He's learned so much from being lebron in the past and going to the finals and winning and losing, then going to Boston and things don't go the way he wanted. Like you said, a lot of people say, oh, he don't have it no more. Do you know who Kyrie Irvy is? Do you know how special he is? But like you said, his leadership and the way he's defended surprised me more than anything because all my battles I had with him in Cleveland and Boston, I'm like, I never seen him defending this level. Like you said, you don't put his head down. He's clapping when a mistake happened. He's not worried about that. He's like the next play, let's move on, Let's move on. So he's definitely learned over the years.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I think what he's doing on the defensive end is is uh. It's also set in the tone because you see him trying to check whoever it is that he needs to check. He pressuring, He pressuring J dubb and how court J douv six eight, fast, big body, Kyrie preshing this man at half court. That sets the tone for the team. Then guess what you see him pressure? Then J dob get to switch on Luca Lucas sit down for us a tough shot like that. Stuff is contagious, man, And I respect the way ky is competing. It ain't no matter who he's on, he's competing. He's in front of that guy. He's sitting down. Every now and then guy hit him with the shoulder or something because they're a little bigger. And you see the next play he right there sitting down again.
Speaker 4: Man. So man, I give a lot of credit to Kyrie.
Speaker 5: Man, Like I said, we all you know, everybody want to throw stones when they get the opportunity to throw the stones. But the love don't be like that. Man, shit, the love gonna be like that from this way because I respect and love to see what he's doing. Man, it's incredible to watch for sure.
Speaker 2: So you definitely embrace this podcast platform. What do you see next to yourself in his space? You know a lot of players sometime we wait till he done plan to do it? You said, fuck it, I'm doing a wind plan and a lot of people don't have the courage in it nots to do that. They might be a little scared.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what number one I think for me, when I first started. It was my first year was the year that we won the championship, and all year people like, man, why you doing a podcast? Like you're playing you're playing these games, then you more focused on your podcast. You shouldn't be doing that, while they let them do the podcast, stay off the microphone, nobody want to hear you, blah blah blah. And then we go win the championship and now all of a sudden, it's cool everybody's doing and it's no big deal. And so honestly, I like to look at it like I broke a barrier. Not that I broke a barrier in being the first to do a podcast, like the first active athlete or anything like that to do a podcast, because that's far from the fucking truth. And I don't want anybody to think that's what I'm trying to say. But the beating that I took on a daily basis to actively like come with two three episodes in a week, actually be locked in on building my own platform, building my own outlet, and having to be successful. Like the beating that I would take on a daily basis for me was fun to watch. It also made it very fun to win the championship. And throw it in everybody's face. Oh and by the way, that same podcast that you said, I can do while everybody's in their partying in TD Garden. Because that's why our celebration was at till six o'clock in the morning. While everybody's in their party until three am. I'm working on podcasts shit, and then I go join the party. But that to me, why because it's a sacrifice, Like I'm trying to build something special. I'm trying to build something that when I'm done, as I move forward, that I built something that can sustain past me playing basketball. And so when I look at the podcast space, ay, I love the growth of it.
Speaker 4: I love how.
Speaker 5: Athletes has taken their their own media boy storm. They're telling their own stories, They're creating their own narratives and not really creating a narrative from the standpoint of what we see in the media today, but controlling the narrative I think would be a better way of saying it, you know, and controlling our own narratives, not getting giving other people the opportunity to control what it is that's said on my name, Like no, you can go straight to the source, and men, I want to continue to grow this thing, you know, in partnering with the volume the way that I have continue to you know, my next goal is to bring other talent in that want to get into the space and get them opportunities to build their own platforms as well. And so just want to continue to do that help on that side, continue to see the space grow, and ultimately I think we're in the beginning phases of it.
Speaker 4: Man, Like I think, you know, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 5: And with athletes and their own podcasts and you know, how the podcast space is working, and I think that will continue to grow when you look at all the platforms and the smart people that we have building these platforms and these outlets for us to take advantage of.
Speaker 1: Okay, Draymond's staying on your story, man, I think you know someone that's on the internet and interesting conversation. They were like if an alien landing on the planet, and they asked what Draymond Green Green's game was, Like how would you describe it? And people said, you are the goat of intangibles, and so I wanted to know because every kid, I feel like, who's trying to get better at basketballs out there working on their handles, working on the plays are going to be you know, cut for highlights. So I wanted to know how did you work on your game and how did you was there like a moment when you were younger and you realize, Man, I got to work on every aspect to get to the next.
Speaker 5: Level, you know what. I think, it's just kind of the evolution of time, you know, at the evolution of my game, because you know, I always me and Travis we always travels has trained me every year since I've been in the NBA. So we've been at it for twelve years. And one of my closest friends og at Michigan State, and we've been together and we continue to grow from a business aspect, but we oftentimes sit and talk about basketball. And I always find it very interesting when people are like, especially young kids, are like ya, I'm Draymond Green, and you know in their mind that means like I don't score, but I do the little things and I'm gonna make it that way. And don't get me wrong, and I wholeheartedly believe that you can't make it doing the little things like you can, but like I used to score the fuck out the basketball, like my whole life. I scored the basketball, you know, Like I didn't really play defense in college. I played. I was really like great help side defender. But I remember making All Defense, Big Ten, All Big Ten Defense my senior year, and my assistant coach, coach DJ, laughed in my face, like they put you on this team because your name, and I'm like nah, like I Jack, Like well, I'm a great help side defender and like my focus was just always a score when I got to the NBA, and playmate, when I got to the NBA, that wasn't gonna get me on the floor. Why because we had Steph Kurr. We had Klay Thompson, we had David Lee, we had Corlandry, we had JR. Jack, we had Richard Jefferson, we have Brandon Rush. Like these are all guys that have some on some level, put the whole put the ball in the basket their entire careers. And now I'm gonna come in the second round pick behind Harrison Barnes, who's the number seven pick, And I'm want to come in the second round pick, and they about to get me the ball. That's not happening. And so I quickly realized, like yo, My way on the court for this team is to defend. Make the little players bring toughness, right, So that's my way on the floor. Cool, that's how I got to get on the floor. Well with that, However, you come into the NBA, what you come into the NBA doing, you can never stop doing that thing. You can become a better shooter, you can become a better play American, you can become a better ball handler, you can get a better post game. You can do all of those things and add them to your game. But what you can never stop doing is the thing that got you on the floor, the reason that somebody put you on the floor. In the NBA, you can never stop doing. Steph Curry can never stop shooting the basketball. Steph can't come in and be like, Yo, I'm just defending, like fuck shooting the three. I'm just defending. Like nobody want to see you just defend, bro, We want to shoot. See you shoot the basketball. That's what you do. You know, now, guess what you can do Steph Curry and what you've done. You can get better defensively, you can become a better two way player. You can add that to your game. But oh, by by all, means, brother, you must shoot this basketball like that is what you do, that's who you are. You will never be a good enough defender to supplement not shooting the basketball, just like I'll never be a good enough shooter to not supplement defendant. And so for me, like I knew that I always had to defend, all right, So start to build my career. You know, I'm averaging and my average is going up each and every year, right, Like, I get to a point where I'm averaging fifteen the game, and that's trending upward. And then Kevin Durant comes and every player that I have in the playbook is no longer my play They now all go to Kevin Durant.
Speaker 4: And so for me, all right, let me.
Speaker 5: Identify this situation now, because this is a different situation, this is a different team.
Speaker 4: What role do I need to play? Right?
Speaker 5: What a role that I need to play is I need to go back to doing all of those little things I need to make sure I'm getting these guys shots, both from passing the ball, screen and doing everything that I can to put these three guys in the best position that they want to be in where they like to score the basketball.
Speaker 4: That's my role. Let me take that on, all right.
Speaker 5: So then as that becomes a thing, now you're no longer looked at as you can score the basketball. Right, so now I'm strictly just looked at as he can play mate and he can defend. No longer looked at as oh, we can go to him to get a bucket, we can run this set and get him in some action so that he can get That's no longer the case for me. And so then that kind of becomes who you are. And so then that's what it became for me. And I've never cared to go to Steve like, oh, coach, Like I don't have a single playing the playbook? What can you do for me? You know, like can you add these plays? Like I don't care. I'm gonna go affect the game in any way that I can affect the game. So that's Uh. It's always a funny thing to me when I watch like younger guys or a parent life. Yeah, my son is the next dry mind. It's like your son don't score, Like now, brother, you should teach them how to score. Because in order for me to become who I become, at some point I had to fucking score the basketball. Now, yes, I had to do. I always could do the other things. And I had coaches and I'm blessed in my life. Coach Dawkins, Coach Speedy, coach Bruce Uh, coachize Like I've had coaches in my life along the way, my uncle to teach me the fundamentals of the game and all the little things that need to do and the things that what it takes to win.
Speaker 4: And so I was able to make that adjustment. But I used to score the basketball.
Speaker 5: And I think you know that, you know, as everybody always say, like you don't have to score, Like I'm be honest, you gotta be a score the basketball. You just you gotta be up score.
Speaker 2: So I read a few artists were emphasize and talk about understanding the business, where as a business of basketball taught you.
Speaker 5: Man, you know what Number one, you can't have feelings in business.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know when when you're dealing with this business of basketball, man, it is for a lot of us, we grow up just playing it because we love it, and then we see a means to get out, you know, and it's like when you see the means to get out, you're like Oh, that's my way out of Saginaw, Michigan. Like, that's my way out of Raleigh, North Carolina. The way I know Raleigh, North Carolina. Well, people knowing Raleigh, North Carolina today, isn't the Raleigh that that John Wall grew up in, right, Like, that's that's my way out of here. So then you see it as a as a means to get out. And by the way, where we come from, it's the only means of getting out. Ain't no other way out. It's either that go try to be a rapper. From what we've been taught now, nobody taught us that the guy who plays in the NBA got a lawyer. Nobody taught us that the guy in the NBA has an accountant firm or a family office.
Speaker 4: Nobody taught us that.
Speaker 5: Nobody taught us until Rich Paul that the guy has an agent. And by the way, it can be somebody that looked like you. Nobody taught us that. You know what they taught us, Hey man, you gotta go be the talent, you gotta go play. You gotta break your body down in order to make a better living for yourself. You know what we all say. Okay, I'm going to do it right, and I'm very thankful to be in a position.
Speaker 3: That I'm in.
Speaker 5: But when speaking of the business of basketball, the first thing that it taught me was no feelings are allowed here like there is. You know, if you're going to have some sense of loyalty, have that sense of loyalty because that's how you feel because that's what you want to have, not because you think someone is going to have a sense of loyalty to you.
Speaker 4: That's not the case, right Like, I am loyal.
Speaker 5: Of to the go to say Warriors organization because I want to be loyal to the go to say organization because I love the organization myself personally, not because I think they owe me loyalty back now and the loyalty that I've given them.
Speaker 4: They've always shown me.
Speaker 5: That loyalty, and I have no reason to believe that they're not going to show me that loyalty.
Speaker 4: But by no means do they owe me that loyalty.
Speaker 5: And I think a lot of times we as athletes tend to feel like they owe me this because I've done X. I'm old that and it's a recipe for disaster. You're setting yourself up for failure. You're setting yourself up for your ego to get crushed in for your feelings to get hurt. And so for me, I quickly had to learn the number one ruling this thing is there's no feelings involved, continue to move forward. The number two thing that I learned, and it probably should have been number one if I knew better, was that you must know the business of basketball. That you must spend your time getting to know this thing, because so many of us spend time in this league, spend many forul time in this league and never get to know the business. And it's baffling to me because it's like, this is our business, Like this is the business that we work in every single day, and we all depend on someone else to know the business for us. But this is the business that I'm in every single day.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: And then I think the last thing that the business of basketball taught me in lameless terms, is.
Speaker 5: It taught me big business. Like the game of basketball. The NBA is business at its highest form. When you look at I always talk about in the NBA, everyone is operating at an ealy level, like yeah, you see, you see us on the basketball court and we're playing at an ealy level. But what you don't see is Eric Housen, who's our equipment manager, who manages our flights, hotels, travel, anything you need from him, all our gear, food, drinks, like you name it, anything we need. What you don't see is how elite Eric Housing is. What you don't see is how elite Rick Celebrini is and and heading up our medical staff, and how elite Danny Langford is and getting our body like everybody in the NBA is operating at an elite level. And that and so for me to see that, it's like, oh, this is big business.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: When you see these comport companies operating at an elite level, that ain't just because Elon Muskins operating at an early level. That's because everybody beneath Elon Musk is operating at an elite level. And I think, you know, just being in the business of basketball as long as I've been in it, and being in it every day and actually trying to submerse myself in it so that I know and understanding and know the intricate details and the ins and outs.
Speaker 4: Man, it's big business.
Speaker 5: And and oftentimes we fall into like looking at it like, oh, it's just a game, like you fall into that it's just a game if you want to. This is big business and these these people are operating as such. And when you go in trying to operate like this ain't a big deal, setting yourself up for a disaster and you get your feelings and your ego hurd.
Speaker 1: Fasts Draymon, It's it's incredible. I got fired up listening to that because it's incredible to hear the grasp of you have on the business side of it, and how much you know, when your career is all said and done, how much do you want to maybe even go and be in the front office of an I mean organization and apply what you've learned in the business aspect where you've applied from, you know, being an incredibly successful Warriors team, Like do you imagine yourself maybe going that going back to Michigan and me you know, if the Pistons need that to go and you know, be in the front office and apply what you've learned.
Speaker 5: You know what, I love the Detroit Pistons because they're from the state of Michigan. The love that Joe dumar showed me in coming up him and Jordan Dumars and you know, the access that they gave me to see in the NBA organization operate to be around NBA players like Rip and take Shine and Big Bend and she like that access for me as a kid from Saginaw was like, oh wow, I'm like these like I could be like these dudes. They are like me, you know, like all right, like this is a life I can attain. Like wait, it's in reach for me.
Speaker 4: Like that to me was special.
Speaker 5: So I always have love for the Detroit Pistons, man, but my loyalty and love is the Golden State Warriors. I never sit back and look at it like, man, the Detroit Pistons is my home team.
Speaker 4: My home team is the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 5: Like that's the organization for me that in my life that has had the most impact on my life. That's the organization for me that has shown me the most love, you know, And I think you know, so oftentimes we get caught up in like yo, I need to go back home, like I'm at home, Like I'm like that is home for me. I built a new home and the state of Michigan will always be where I'm from and the core of me and like my home for sure, But like I got two homes now, you know, and I don't look at it like yo, I need to go back to the Pistons and give back to them. No, if I need to give back to any organization, if they'll have me and allow me to give to, I need to give to the Warriors organization because that is the organization that is a part of my legacy.
Speaker 3: You know, the Detroit Pistons.
Speaker 5: As much as it is that I grew up in the state of Michigan, the Detroit Pistons isn't a part of my legacy at all outside of what Joe Dumars and those guys taught me. Other than that, what's a part of my legacy and what's home for me is to go to State Warriors. So if I had the chance of opportunity to give to an organization, that's the organization that I would want to give to.
Speaker 4: Now. Again, I do understand that this is big.
Speaker 5: Business and they may not always have me, and guess what, they don't owe me a goddamn thing, And I don't feel like they owe me anything.
Speaker 4: But that's what I want to give to now.
Speaker 5: When I take a second step back and I look at whether it's front office, whether it's coaching.
Speaker 4: If I'm honest with you, I have zero interest in either one of them right now.
Speaker 5: And the reason that I don't have any interest in either one of them is because I've been on the basketball schedule my entire life, man like, and the reality is as special as it is. You miss so much like you miss Like I missed my son taking this first step, Like I saw that shit on the camera, like.
Speaker 4: You know, and that's seven years ago. I have, I got three other.
Speaker 5: Kids on top of him, but like I missed him taking his first step, like you just missed so much. And by the way, I just mentioned my son. You miss weddings, like everybody don't have their wedding in the summer, you know when we're off. Like you miss weddings, you miss birthdays, you miss Christmases. Man, This Christmas was the first Christmas in eleven years that I've been at home. Now I mean at home for the entire day.
Speaker 4: Guess what.
Speaker 5: I was only at home because I was suspended. But it's the first Christmas in eleven years that I didn't step foot into an NBA arena. Like you missed so many things and so I'm just not sure i'd want to be that I'd want to be on a basketball schedule, but I will say I'm honored. Man. And with the conversations that I've had with Joe Laker over the years and him saying to me, like, Yo, when you're done, I can see you one day coaching this team when Steve's done, Like, I can see you working with this team, Like I would love to see that.
Speaker 4: That means the world to me, because that means.
Speaker 5: The man that owned the organization that I play for is watching me play basketball and saying, this guy.
Speaker 4: Can one day coach my team. Like, man, these these this again big business. These assets are not small.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: Like, if you're gonna you're gonna trust somebody to coach your team, that's not small. That's not a small thing. That's a big fucking deal. And so to have to know that you have that type of support and like the owner of the organization that I play for is watching me and saying he can one day coach this or man, Steve curR is my coach. Like the guy who's been coaching in this organization for the last eleven years, ten year is Steve Kerr.
Speaker 4: He's a Hall of Fame coach.
Speaker 5: You're watching him and saying, I think that can one day be draymnd. That's insanity to me, and so I'm very thankful that people look at me in that light. But as I am in year twelve of my career, I say right now, and everything changes as time going on, So I would never say never. But where I stand right now in year twelve of my career headed into year thirteen, I'm not sure I want to be on the basketball.
Speaker 2: Scha Yeah, You've been in a long time and you always in a fight, is always in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Like you said, you don't get no break. People don't understand you don't get no break.
Speaker 2: Right Luckily me out I had told my achilles that year somebody saying I got this year steps, But if it won't for the injuries, I would have never seen those first steps, like you don't get this those times back, You don't get that moment back, and being able to watch it from a camera, you like, damn, I wish I was there for that, or even the first day take them to school.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we don't be there. We might be a training camp or mini camp somewhere.
Speaker 5: And look at that Jay Wall. You said, Man, luckily I got hurt. I tore my achilles and I was able to see my son walk. Listen to that, Yeah, luckily I tore my achilles. One of the worst injuries that you can go through. Like, I don't know the pain I knock on wood. I never wanted to.
Speaker 2: Be a pain.
Speaker 4: But guess what this man just said.
Speaker 5: Luckily I tore my achilles and I was able to see my son take his first step.
Speaker 3: Do you know how fucked up that is?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: And this is what we do. And by the way, again, I don't take it for granted. I'm very lucky and thankful be in a position that I'm in, But it also sucks sometimes when people act like we don't deal with real shit, you know, like not being able to see my son take his first steps. That's real shit, Like that is a sacrifice that when people sit back and throw stones, they ain't willing to make that sacrifice. But you can sit back and throw a dart at me from across the room. Or how I may handle something, or how I may deal with something, or the mind state that I may be in on a specific day, but you don't know what I go through, Like you don't really know the burden that I carry on my back every single day and sometimes it just may get the best of me. Like you don't know that. Guess what? And you know what else? I always tell you ain't willing to make that sacrifice. I always tell guys like you know, every now and then you run into people and they're like, yo, I could plan it and be I'm like, yo, you couldn't deal with the stress of knowing that when you wake up at seven eight o'clock in the morning that you got to game at seven pm. Just the stress alone of that day you couldn't deal with. Don't tell me you could play in the NBA, like you out of your mind? Like and so for me, man, all right, you know, like to hear you say.
Speaker 2: That, I might not even want to go to shoot around it in fact, to shoot around at ten o'clock, that's before the game.
Speaker 3: You gotta go to shoot around.
Speaker 4: There, you there from nine to twelve thirty.
Speaker 5: Like, by the way, be back here at three thirty four o'clock, like the sacrifices man.
Speaker 4: And when you just said that, that took me back.
Speaker 5: I was lucky to tear my achilles so I could see my son first step. That's what we go through as athletes. And listen, it's great. The money we make is great. Playing basketball for a living is great, but just like everything else, it has its negatives as well.
Speaker 1: Sure, Dram and I have one more question here. You know, on the record, everyone knows that you and Lebron are pretty close friends. You know, you guys are getting in the twilight of your career, a few more years left, and I wanted to know the possibil the ever of you guys teaming up.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I don't know if you know. I love Brin. I love Bron to death. That's my brother, and you know the relationship that we have and what it's grown to I don't I cherish, you know, my my kids see him uncle Bron is Uncle Bron, Like I never take any of my brothers in my life for granted.
Speaker 4: Like I'm always thankful.
Speaker 5: I am a relationships guy, like I love building relationships. I love like that component of life. And I cherish people. And you know, I don't take people for granted. You know, people earn't an item to me, you know, like I love people and I'm so thankful for the relationship that we have.
Speaker 4: I think it's a very special thing.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, when I take a step back and look at my life, something that I would have been like, especially in those early years in the finals, like yo, that's gonna be my brother and we're gonna be like this, Like I would have never thought that and saying that, as I've said before, unless Broun come into Golden State, I don't really see that happening.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, for me personally, if the Warriors will have me until.
Speaker 5: I'm done and I tie my shoe strings in then out and talk them things about the telephone wire.
Speaker 4: That's where I'll be.
Speaker 5: You know, It's nothing else And looking around the NBA that excites me more than doing all that I can to try to win another championship with the team that I've won for championships with, with the guys that I've won for championship with, uh, you know, Stephan Clay like there. I never look around the league and be like, hmm, I think I'll be great Like fuck that, man, I can be great right here. I can do what I need to do for us to win another championship. And that's my focus. And so as as as much as I would love the opportunity to play with Brian one day, like I thought I would have an opportunity to summer with Team USA, that didn't happen for me, and so I think that probably puts a rap, you know, a bowl on the possibilities of that, because as long, guys, this franchise will have me.
Speaker 3: It's where I'll be.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Johnny got anything else that's good, Man, Draymond. I appreciate you coming on point game, man. I know you're busy, enjoy the off season, and thanks again.
Speaker 4: No doubt, thanks for having me man. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 5: Jay Wall I've been enjoying watching you transition to this next chapter of your life, checking out your podcast, man, and just watching you get better and better. You know, when I first started this podcast journey, Man, I would come on and like, ya, I know basketball, and I know how I talked to people, and my producer would make this rundown of the show and like I'll be logging onto the zoom like reading the rundown and I'm like, all right, Finally I had to learn, like yo, you got to prepare, Like you can't just come into this shit thinking I'm about to read. And when I when I watch y'all show, like I see the preparation from you, I see the dedication you know, from you and taking this serious, and then I just wanted to say I love it, like I appreciate your journey, Bro, I appreciate, Uh, you know who you were in this league. You know, I know so oftentimes people try to like, damn what it is that you were in this league, like number one, It's not what you what you were, it's who you are. And don't ever forget that my dog like you was great in this league.
Speaker 4: You was. You was a standard for a lot of guys that ain't changed.
Speaker 5: And although people try to cast you out, try to throw you out when they feel like they don't.
Speaker 4: Lose you no more.
Speaker 5: I just want you to know, as one of your peers, the utmost respectful what you've brought to this game. And I love to watch what you're doing in the podcast space. It's beautiful to see.
Speaker 3: Bro appreciate that dreamt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when everybody need any advice on this, I'm definitely gonna heit you, but definitely appreciate that Bro.
Speaker 5: No doubt Bro's dog always.
Speaker 3: Bro. Yes, we could have played the NFL.
Speaker 2: Bro We're not saying we would have been aut but we're not saying we would have been Pro Bowls, the Hall of Famers. We could have played. You got such j I'll be telling us. You got like some football players they played in high school. I didn't know they fucking played till you go on YouTube. They bring out a highlight tape of them, Like, I don't know. It's like, but if they put the work in we put into basketball like they've been in football, we.
Speaker 3: Don't know what we could have been exactly.
Speaker 5: And that's my thing is So I think number one, like, I disagree with what Austin said in the sense which is he said I can take thirty to forty guys right now and put them in the NFL.
Speaker 4: That's a lot because the learning curbage too steep.
Speaker 5: The type of training that your body needs to withstand the NFL is totally different than we've had over the last ten years. And so I am not of the belief that any of us right now today could then just jump to the NFL.
Speaker 4: However, I am of the belief that.
Speaker 5: If we as NBA players, a lot of us trained to go to the NFL we very much so would have done that, like because in the NFL, like most of those guys were basketball players that weren't good enough like that, weren't skilled enough, that was probably strongest shit or fastest shit, but couldn't quite shoot, or was probably fast not quite big enough, or he was a six ' four center. And you know my og Lamar Woodley like was a pro bowler in the NFL. He was a six to three center at my high school and was All state all of that.
Speaker 4: But he was a six to three center.
Speaker 5: He averaged twenty eighteen because he's moving niggas at d N went the University of Michigan, but he was six y three center, like and.
Speaker 4: So he went to play football. Loved basketball his whole life.
Speaker 5: I want to play football, why because I'm gonna take this athleticism and make some money some type of way.
Speaker 4: In that six to three center, it ain't working for me.
Speaker 5: And so I believe that like a lot of us could have played in the NFL if we were trained for that. However, not a lot of those guys could have played in the NBA if they were trained for it, because they are Most of them did train for it, and they weren't good enough, especially the receivers in the DBS and the running backs, like the skill positions. They are hoopers that weren't quite good enough.
Speaker 1: You see that Keon Coleman guy though in the Bills his nice guess what a hooper that wasn't quite good enough?
Speaker 5: You know how I know he's a hooper that wasn't quite good enough. He went to Michigan State at first, he played both. He played football and basketball. He needn't get on the fucking court.
Speaker 3: Damn, he would get in.
Speaker 2: They have forty or fifty they see like last thirty seconds the minute.
Speaker 3: That's what is that.
Speaker 5: He probably one of her better players in the NFL. Now, like he didn't get in the game, Michigan stay.
Speaker 1: That's what the magic at editing and social media. They put together ten great plays and people are like, oh man, that's hall.
Speaker 2: I can make the best mixtape right now and just say oh this guy. But I know, I'm just saying, like, really not not be good at it though, Like I'm like, I've seen guy playing my autim and they put a mixtape out and I'm like, whoa, he's not this good.
Speaker 3: But then you go really watch a game and you'd be like, no, this is what he really is.
Speaker 4: Fat.
Speaker 3: Some kids try to go to college off their little highlight tapes.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 2: It's like me like like, you can't tell me to go work out, Like I can kill a workout. They don't mean I'm gonna do this shit in five on five.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 4: Like you had one player pre draft.
Speaker 2: How many coups go to pre draft and kill a pre draft workout one on one, but then when they go play five on five they don't know how to play basketball.
Speaker 4: That's a fact.
Speaker 3: Bro. Listen to this.
Speaker 4: John. You remember Joe Alexander that went to West.
Speaker 3: Virginia, Yes, one to West Virginia.
Speaker 5: So the athlete, listen, Joe Alexander was playing, and uh, Joe Alexander was playing and uh, Fanta cruise with our G League team and they brought him up for a workout because they was looking to field the fifteen rosters by possibly and he came for a workout.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if you remember big DJ White from Indiana.
Speaker 5: Yeah, DJ White one, number three and it was a couple more, Yes, it was a couple more guys. Now, no, DJ White is not Lebron James or whatever. But I'm telling you, I watched this workout. Man, I'm gonna try to get film of the workout if I can get it on the sty to you, I watched this workout. It had to be the absolute best workout I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 5: If you put goddamn Tony Allen in front of him, he was gonna bust his ass.
Speaker 4: And the thing is so Pete Myers was our assistant coach at the.
Speaker 5: Time, and Pete used to tell us because Pete had him in Chicago when they drafted him, like, hey, man, Joe Alexander the best one on one player I've ever seen. And then you go you put two on two out there, and motherfucker's still incredible. And then you go three on three and you get a little worse. And four on four, other fucker can't see shit. A five on five. He can't even play on the floor.
Speaker 4: Like that's what people would always believe it.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, but I just watched this workout, and he's like, yeah, don't be fooled by the workout. You ask some guys out there and putting another few pieces on the floor, he can't sit attend to see the rim anymore.
Speaker 4: It just got blindness. And I'm like, ah, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: So to Jay wall Point, like everybody can play one on one, like and it ain't a guy who helps out and you got to get through that gap. But you can't really do this shit at a high level, and.
Speaker 2: You know, reading the weeks out of the fit and they don't know what the fuck going on. That's why I'd be sitting like, let's go play one on one. I'm like, bro, I can play one on one all fucking day. I play one of my whole life. If you really know I play.
Speaker 3: One on one.
Speaker 2: We're gonna go three dribbles to two dribbles and see how many people want to play Exactly it's like, no, we're not playing no more. They want to dribble for twenty second. I'm not chasing nobody around like that.
Speaker 5: Exactly, two three dribbles. I see if you can get a good shot off in two to three dribbles, because guess what that is the NBA, My man, you don't get twenty dribbles to try to get somewhere. You got two to three dribbles. And if you ain't where you're trying to get get off the ball.
Speaker 3: Brother.
Speaker 2: The only way you get that pass now is because the NBA is like a lot more spacing, and if you the guy, you might get that many dribbles. If you ain't the guy, that's how cal too is in college. If you can't get by nobody one or two dribbles, dribbles, come on, get off the ball.
Speaker 3: You need to come see next to us, exactly exactly. You can come sit next to us. We ain't doing that.
Speaker 1: That's a fine, Draymond appreciate you, Yes, sir, No diet Drey.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna see you around, bro.
Speaker 5: Ain't no doubt. Jay Wallace, good to see you fair, Yes, sir, Love bro Love.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to point Game with John wall and CJ. Toldonough, presented by DraftKings. It's that time. We do it every show. It's Bucket or Brick time. Render Bucket of Brick is brought to you by Draft Kings Sportsbook. Draft Kings Sportsbook is your home for all things NBA action, from player props, the same game parlays. Check out everything Draft Kings Sportsbook has to offer to make your NBA experience even sweeter. The Crown is yours all right, John. We alluded to it in the beginning, but we wanted to get it here in the Bucketer Brick segment. So first one here, we'll start off with the t Wolves our favorite over the maps to win the Western Conference Finals at minus one seventy, meaning if you bet one hundred and seventy dollars, you can win one hundred of bucks. So Bucket Brick, the Timberwolves will win the West.
Speaker 3: Hm.
Speaker 1: It's tough. You said in the beginning you weren't sure yet.
Speaker 3: That was gonna go. I don't know, I'm gonna I'm not gonna do nothing, okay.
Speaker 2: Because it's no no, because it's interesting because I feel like, for me, Kyrie and Luker are the best back cord of a point guard and real shooting guard and in the history to me, they haven't one anything. But just like they can both go get fifty, you know what I mean. But also I love the attitude and the aggretch the ant Man comes with. So I don't want to go against ant Man either, you know what I'm saying, Because ant Man is on another level right now.
Speaker 3: I love everything about it.
Speaker 1: That means if you go, if you go supporting casts versus supporting cast. So we talk about role players a lot on this show. So what role players would you want? The massive Timberwolves. Let's try it that way, like I think they have. I think Mas have better shooters, bigger shot makers, but the Timberwolves. So you have like incredible defensive bigs.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no no no no not really no, not really no.
Speaker 2: But you have the six man in nas Reed. But I love PJ. Washingt the way he's defending, the way he's making shots. I love the way Derrick Jones is stepping up making shots. So I feel like Derek Joe the Jada McDaniels, they like count each other out. I feel like Jada mcdane's more talented, more talented than what Dereck Jones is. But Derek Jones is doing the same than Jaden McDaniel's doing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Then I think nas Reed gives them the edge on the other end. But PJ. Washington has been great for them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You have Josh Green that come in and do his thing, Dote Xen was there then they started playing Jaden Hardy, Derrick Livey's been special for them. So I think it's gonna be interesting. I think it's gonna be interest. He's going six to seven for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Celtics Pacers Eastern Conference Finals, So bucketer brick, the Pacers will force a game seven in Boston, not Pacers winning to force the game.
Speaker 3: I see it going five or six.
Speaker 2: I see it going five or six because I just feel like the Pacers are fighting hard. I love coach Rick Carlisle. Siaka has been special. Uh, Hallen Burds has showed up in moments in spurts. I just think as such as they have, they they know what they they know what they're going for.
Speaker 3: I mean, everything's on the line. They've been there before.
Speaker 2: I think what Tatum be in the league seven years, he's been to a five or six East Conference Finals.
Speaker 3: I think they know what they need to do to get there.
Speaker 2: I think they got their mindset on one goal, and that's get to the finals and let's get over the humps.
Speaker 3: So I see them taking care of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they're the clear favorite right now after the Nuggets. Yeah, okay, all right, moving on here back to the Nuggets. The bucket or brick, the Nuggets will win another title with Yo Kich Bucket.
Speaker 2: I feel I feel like I feel like they realized this year they what they lost from their bench. Last year heard them and this year, I mean because the tim Woods was wearing them down. They had a better bench, So I think they realized what they was missing. I think they may objective is it signed guys back and then go sign some pieces. They helped their bench a little bit, but the young guys are still developing. I just don't think they was ready for that type of moment.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. What type of players you think they got to go out and get this offseason.
Speaker 2: Like the Bruce Brown, like Jeff Green, like those guys that was veterans knew how to play. It's it's okay to have the young guys, you know. I mean, it's okay to have young guys and still develop them. But I feel like they was missing some of those veteran guys off the bench to help him because they only played like three guys off the bench. You know, usually Nuggets can play three, four or five guys, So I think they a little bit more help with their bench.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, moving on a little bit of Lakers talk here, So Bucke or Brick. JJ Reddick will be the next coach of the Lakers.
Speaker 3: Buck, Yeah, I think he is. I just think he is.
Speaker 1: The way the media is talking, it's like JJ is is primed to take that spot, so they do it. How do you think that go? How does it work?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Because I think people are a little bit a little I think weary of it because he's a first time head coach. You know, we just had Darvin Ham for two years and they thought it was more of a player coach. So in the Lakers, biggest organization to be the head coach of how do you think that works?
Speaker 3: I have no idea. I never seen JJ coach, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, yeah, I just see him on the podcasts and then see him broadcasting.
Speaker 3: So I really don't know how that would work.
Speaker 2: But all the best of the lucky we do get the job, you know, I mean, like whatever job you do get, it is the legers or whatever.
Speaker 3: Being ahead coach is.
Speaker 2: Not easy, I mean because yeah, there's so much that comes with it nowadays, and now it's more of a player's league than a coaches league, you know what I mean. So long as yours, long as your players respect you and buy into what you got going on.
Speaker 3: You can go a long way.
Speaker 2: I mean, yet, I know they're gonna probably try to trade for somebody we get the job and add some more pieces to help them out.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Because I from talking to guys like you played in the league and that had you know coaches you I think you and and Marsham were talking about, you know, Randy Whitman, and it's almost having a coach who can connect with the players but also can call out their their bullshit.
Speaker 3: You know that kind of I don't give it, Damne. It's high school college level.
Speaker 2: Like, if the best player can be coached by the coach, your team is not going far. I mean, like you got to be able to hold your best player accountable the same way you hold the fifteen down on the team accountable. And then once everybody see that, then it brings your team together more because okay, shit, if he's getting on our best player, I gotta do my job as a role player, you know what I mean. But if I'm not getting on the best player, the role player, like with shit, he feel a way too, you know what I mean, Like I don't have to listen to him, or I don't have to buy in. So when the best players buying in and doing it on both ends of the floor, everybody's followed their lead.
Speaker 1: And that's as important as knowing the ex and up.
Speaker 2: That's the most important role actually though would come down the pack. But if I can't coach my best player and hold him accountable like I can the fifteen player on my roster that might not play and my team not going far. And then after that, you know, building team chemistry, building camaraderie, guys liking each other and just want to play for each other, Like you look at the tea boards man, Like last year they didn't know if Kat wanted to be Cat wanted to be the man that an't want to be the man.
Speaker 3: You could tell this ship they know what the man is.
Speaker 2: They all accepted it, you know what I mean, Like they know answer guy, Kat is cool with being the second guy. And you see how where they're playing, like how they come out of it is how their team is, like they enjoy each other, their young team, but with a couple of vets, but they enjoy playing for each other and that goes a long way, all.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, Finally, Bucket or Brick, Jo kich is actually happy the playoffs are over so you can go home to his horses. You think that's real, You think people there's all these memes out there who are like, Yo kicch is fine, he just wants to go and hang out with us.
Speaker 2: I say brick because yogis why not care about like the MVP's and all that. But shit, he's still the basketball player. Like he still want to win championships. I know that for sure. I mean, he don't care for me. He don't care about the accolades, really don't care about the media attention. He don't want that. He just wanted to play basketball. If you win, he's winning. After that, I'm going back home, like he loves to be in his hometown. He loves to be around his horses, he loves to be around his family. And you can't be mad at it. I mean, because he kills in the NBA. My job is done here. I'm going droy my life and he's just doing it back home in his country, so he can't be mad at all.
Speaker 3: But I say brick because I know him.
Speaker 2: I don't know him, but I know he has still want to if he had a chance to fight and to try to go win the championship, he would love that.
Speaker 3: He just don't care about the media attention. I could tell you that. I bet.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really enjoyed his uh postgame press conference last night where he was breaking it down. It's like he said the specifics Timberwolves are built to beat the Nuggets, and they came up short, you know. And so if he didn't care and you want to just go back to the sources, he would have been like p some out, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I felt that he was half the perfect team that could be the Nuggets, like they had the perfect team. I mean I told him before, I said, look at last year when nas Reed and Jadam Damn Zert, they still had a great series. So you're adding a sixth man and in your best defensive playoutside of their man. That changes the aspect of the game for them. Got him back and Wine and Winnie.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be We're gonna see that matchup again in these next few for sure. I think Nuggets are gonna go get the pieces to go and beat the Timberwolves vice versa.
Speaker 3: Like this is chess like chess, because the Timple Wolves.
Speaker 2: Even though they beat them, they're gonna try to do some ship this summer to make their team even more better. I mean, all the priendings. If the Nuggets go do something, they're gonna have to do something. That's how they're gonna feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we're just getting started with these conference finals. So uh, you know, people listening right now, keep listening, John, do you have anything else with the fans?
Speaker 2: The man's gonna be a siting now we had the conference finals. We know what the matchups are, and you're gonna get a lot of this talk on our podcast.
Speaker 3: You know it's gonna be a siting. So I already see when the game get rolling. So show Tom, YEP, showtime.
Speaker 1: More guests on the way. This spend point Game presented by DraftKings. Everyone, please rate, review and subscribe to the pod. Leave us a five star review and drop some questions for for John and I want answer. I'm in a future episode Point Game Peace Gambling Problem called one eight hundred Gambler or in West Virginia visit www dot one eight hundred gambler dot net and New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why or text hope and why four six seven three sixty nine. Connecticut help is available for problem gambling. Call eighty eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on half of Boothill Casino and resort in Kansas twenty one plus age varies by jurisdiction wood in Ontario. See DKNG dot com slash promos for eligibility and responsible gaming resources. Odds and lines subject to change