Speaker 1: This is so funny.
Speaker 2: Like me and my cousins, like we hadn't gotten together in a little bit, so we were catching up and like my one cousin he has dreads and stuff and he's like this, like he's like a cartoon character, like stoner surfer, black surfer guy, and he's.
Speaker 1: Like big two. He's like six ' four. And we were like at Major Domo, that David Chang restaurant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's like a short rib thing you can order, but they only have like a limited number that they make every day. And my cousin's high ass saw like it came out on a cart and he had the hungriest stoner eyes that the people who's like actually ordered it felt bad. And then we're like they're like here, you should have a bite. He's like no, no, I'm good. You look like you wanted to bite. He's like, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to like sera, it's your food like that. He's like, I just didn't know what it was.
Speaker 3: Your tongue literally rolled out of your mouth and onto the table.
Speaker 1: And they were like they're like there's still some meat on the bone.
Speaker 2: He was like, they carve it and like they leave it and sometimes people take it for their dogs or people eat it off the bone. And then the way my cousin took this thing and was like eating it. Yeah, like they became friends and then they started talking.
Speaker 1: But it's just.
Speaker 2: No like him and the people who's had another dinner party happening at like the table he did it.
Speaker 3: To the table, the table near customers.
Speaker 2: The customers are like you know that guy, yeah, yeah, so hungry for an hour, wants this, wants a bite of this, and he's like nah, no, I really all right, well now and then he like had it, and then they're like.
Speaker 3: A testament to his approachable energy that they're just like, hey, man, you want to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even like yo, stop stop coveting our dinner thing. They're like, yeah, you got there, Like it's then they were teasing like it's so gold, you gotta have some, and then he like joined them for I'm like, bro, we're here for another thing.
Speaker 3: But again that's like a different breed of human. My wife has that where like she will be like, hey, the thing you order is that like this thing on the menu. It looks really good, Like where I think people have when we've been at the offered her right, it's actually.
Speaker 2: I just can't that cocktail called and the stranger to be like, want to sip?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm like, bro, what the you're gonna.
Speaker 3: SIPs? Hello the Internet, and welcome to this week Trend, Long week Trend edition of Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dab into america share consciousness. And it is Tuesday, September third. It is the first day after a long weekend, and we are hungry, hu hungry, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not even know. I'm not hungry.
Speaker 3: I'm not hungry.
Speaker 1: I'm ravenous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just need you to describe that dry cookie you just it was so real, you know.
Speaker 2: How like when you get it like a good moist cookie, like from the bakery, and then for some reason you're like, why didn't I just put this in tupperware and have it room time, just like a bag in a like a paper bag in the fucking fridge. It's a it's a famous amus by now.
Speaker 3: Thisly assembled crumbs just hanging out together by like out of habit.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I known each other since grade school. They kind of fell apart. Why are even fucking friend?
Speaker 3: That's why I never liked you. Anyways, you had a good long weekend. We caught up off like maybe in the open. I went to a sky Zone for a for a eight year old's birthday party. Shout out to that eight year old whose name I'm not gonna say on the podcast.
Speaker 1: But uh and then remember that you forgot it too.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say there obviously.
Speaker 3: That's also why I don't say my kids names on the podcast, because I don't remember them.
Speaker 2: My older, my old, my eldest, and my youngest in person.
Speaker 3: Ye doesn't even know our name.
Speaker 1: Mom. That my two sons, Hey, and the younger one.
Speaker 3: A little guy, my guy and little guy. But sky Zone is like.
Speaker 1: That that ship is that's a trampoline place, right.
Speaker 3: It's a trampoline place. They also have like slides that are like water slide adjace, Like they will like shoot you up in the air, oh.
Speaker 1: Like with how intense the speeds get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's just like you know a water slide that like fires you out and then you like fall into the water. Yeah yeah yeah they have that, but like dry how they have just big like the padding technology, the matt technology, Like.
Speaker 1: How do you get that kind of like frictionless speed.
Speaker 3: You're sliding on a you're sliding on a guy yeah, on a little uh on a on a little pad guy mode. Objects are just down there again, just great energy.
Speaker 1: So one of our fastest guys.
Speaker 3: He's one of our most he has one of our most frictionless backs. But man, it's tough. Like the thing I like about the laser tech place that you that you had your first job at ultras the parents get to play, like the sky's all too much fun to just like make the parents just stand by and watch, like there will be like big kids in there. They have this one section I mean that I didn't I did not read the service, but the ship that they must have you agree to in that because there's like so much stuff that's like way too dangerous for America's appetite for their children. Like there's just like an American gladiators like balance beam where like one person stands in the middle and like takes on all comers, like they just like smash each other with these giant pillows. And there was a kid who was like thirteen just like trucking little children there. Instead of making me outraged, I was like I want to be that guy, all right, I could take him out.
Speaker 1: It's a strict no adults policy in there. You can't. I can't get it around.
Speaker 3: They have like height limits in certain sections, and I think just like pure shame. Uh and you know, human dignity also keeps parents out. But it just looks so fun, man.
Speaker 2: I mean it looks like they say stuff for co workers, throw an event for your co workers. Yeah, on that there might be a labor game.
Speaker 3: There might be an adult version of things, you know, like just like yeah.
Speaker 2: At a certain age, that's like knee and ankle Injury City.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's probably also whether like but man, they have a zip line that absolutely just explodes you off the side of that thing. Again like just things that used to exist.
Speaker 2: I just I just picked you watching from like the sidelines, like through the plexiglass, like with your hand palm.
Speaker 3: Like just fogging up the plexiglass.
Speaker 1: Or like that one that one clip of Charles S.
Speaker 2: Dutton that's a meme from Rudy when he's like clapping for Rudy was like, yeah.
Speaker 3: That was me with my six year old riding the zip line and he got like exploded off on his third and final run. In a way that I was like so proud of and like taking a video and like smiling, and then like the other dads were like, I think he's hurt, man, I think he's hurt, like run over, and he was like my shoulder, my shoulder. Anyways, this is the episode where we get to know each other a little bit better by telling you something you think we think is underrated overrated? Miles, what is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 1: Underrated?
Speaker 2: Is just as our desire to watch people eat a bunch of shit? I didn't full disclosure. A friend of mine was working on the Kobayashi Versus Joey Chestnut hot Dog like fucking battle finale to end all hot dog eating competitions because they were great rivals, like from twenty years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah what it could have been called?
Speaker 2: And at first I'm like, yeah, maybe I'll check it out. But then suddenly when I remembered it, I was like I need to watch this, like I need to see the fucking ending of this epic rivalry.
Speaker 1: And it was truly a spectacle to behold.
Speaker 2: Like they had like little pre there was like a pre card in a weird way, or they had this one dude eat like a bunch of wing, like a wing aiding contest against three Olympians, like who could eat the most wings. This guy fucking just smashed it like didn't even didn't even bother to protest, like just that he was eating all flats. Yeah, and basically like would get the one end cartilage piece off and then just like cartoon like cat style, just pull the meat right off the bone and just tossed the tube.
Speaker 1: Fucking whip those bones, britl.
Speaker 2: Look, No, I'll be honest, I don't know what they're counting. I know the house I grew up in the family I grew up in. You better present clean bones when you're eating off the bone. Yeah, these felt a little like I would say, like maybe twenty five twenty percent meat.
Speaker 1: Was on there.
Speaker 3: That's unacceptable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, how are they counting?
Speaker 3: Are they counting it by number of wings or are they counting it by like the waight number.
Speaker 1: Wings, number wings? The number ones they got through it was whatever. That was fine.
Speaker 2: Then another lady ate like four pounds of watermelon in three minutes. It was fucking so intense to watch. But she's like casually just like scarfing it down, scarfing because I'm from the eighties. And then they got to the fucking main event and dude, this full of Joey chest had ate like eighty three fucking hot dogs in ten minutes.
Speaker 1: And they changed the rules up.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've seen like other competitive eaters, what they'll do is they'll like pull the buns, they'll separate the buns from the dogs, eat the dogs, then dip the fucking buns in the water or something, eat them separately.
Speaker 3: They changed they changed the rules, just straight up old school tradish full dog with bun, no separating.
Speaker 2: The whole fucking of missionary nuptewel sheet, all of that.
Speaker 1: They had it all very traditional, going Biblical on it.
Speaker 2: But it was just wild because Joey Chestnut looked it was kind of it was. It was just mixed between like, oh shit, this is wild and then me being like, I think Joey Chestnut is killing himself with glizzies up there, Like he was sweating profusely, he was forcing these hot dogs down his gullet in a way that I was like, is like is this safe? Like I was part partially like dazzled and then repeatedly uttering like under my breath.
Speaker 1: Jesus, this is so fucked up the fuck. But then I couldn't look away. Her majesty was like, this is so fucked up. I can't.
Speaker 2: I'm having trouble watching this guy force them down his throat. And then at the end he looked so weathered. It was kind of wild. And I put I put a picture of him right after it here in the dock of him. This dude is only forty Joey Chestnut is forty years old.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 3: He looks like Alex Jones after a bender.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he looks like Alex Jones, like yeah, like slightly like, yeah, something's going on with him. And I was like, it looks like a guy, like rather than being like yeah, the guy's like he's kind of weather.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: He was drinking a lot in his like you know, younger days.
Speaker 2: It's like, no, this dude is being so processed meats that it aged him in a way I've never seen some of the two.
Speaker 3: Things that like doctors repeatedly are just like drinking and processed meats, like those are the two things that will significantly uptick.
Speaker 2: That changed my full risk, that changed my whole Sando intake style, because you know what I mean like going and it should go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, you know that kind of ship.
Speaker 3: Just fireworks finale of price.
Speaker 2: In my mind, I'm like, tuna is safer, you're eating just a bunch of mayonnaise.
Speaker 1: Also, but anyway, uh yeah, I was just I was.
Speaker 2: I was truly impressed with what I saw, but it was it's like wild to like watch that and then everyone kind of being like, look.
Speaker 1: At this, what look at Look what's our fucking society?
Speaker 2: But also, holy ship, dude, eighty one, eighty two, eighty three.
Speaker 3: God, yeah mighty, I don't have this, like whatever the thing is that makes us want to watch people eat a disgusting amount of hot dogs, I'm not I've not watched a single one of these. Good god, I'm good to just have you describe eating one dry cookie. Yeah, like real slow, yeah, real, real slow.
Speaker 2: I think honestly, just me, just you looking at that picture of Joey Chestnut after the eighty three hot dogs is.
Speaker 1: Enough for you to understand what happened.
Speaker 3: It's like, body, I watched Alien Romulus this weekend.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, and it.
Speaker 3: Seems like your experience of watching this was very similar, like just like under your breath like, Oh, so fucked up?
Speaker 1: Why are we doing this to ourselves?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Truly so Joey chest not one.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he like he put the smash on Kobyashi.
Speaker 3: I mean it feels like they like fucked with the rules a little bit to fuck with Kobyashi right, like wasn't his thing.
Speaker 1: The yeah, but the other thing is too.
Speaker 2: Like even at their their personal records, Joey Chestnut had a better personal hot dog eating record than Kobashi had his best, So like going into it, if I was if I was gonna pick, I was probably I would have probably put money on Chestnut just because like his capability, he's demonstrated a capacity to eat more than Kobayashi has.
Speaker 3: They should also like have to submit for x rays after it, so we could like see what the insides look like.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean even grosser news, like what what's like the next day or so like when you have to there, Oh god, that's even like more even trying to be like then you have to fucking nah no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do competitive eaters poop all the food out?
Speaker 3: A search that could have come from my six year old, Uh all right, my my underrated. Similarly in the world of sport, so college football's back. We got a gem of a postgame press conference from Brian Kelly, who's the coach of LSU. He used to be the coach of Notre Dame. He's just always seemed like a real asshole, and his press conference is just like it's not on the level with the great but it's it's just this like slow boil where you're just like witnessing this man trying to hold it together with all his might, and then at one point he just like slams his fist on the table like tardy. Yuh No. It's it's like at the end, basically, it's like after twenty minutes of him bely and you know, it's like a Sandler movie, like when you know a Sandler character who's just like and you know, just like right on the verge of fucking losing their shit. Oh, but he's always like had these like horrible interactions with the media where he just like finds an arbitrary reason to like be pissed at them. There's also a thing like back in Notre Dame where one of their football managers who was taping a practice, like they sent him up on this crane or on like one of those hydraulic lifts in a windstorm, and he fell, like the thing collapsed and he died. Oh my god, Like there there were questions around that. Yeah, like so I mean nothing, you know, he was ultimately nothing to see Yeah, he was ultimately nothing to see it here, but he's just always seemed like I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, I I definitely I remember seeing this go around because I think that the caption I saw was like, what, like he's just had a series of winning the first game of a season.
Speaker 3: Season. Yeah, yeah, so like when he came to LSU, he keeps losing. Like the expectations are so high with LSU.
Speaker 2: Nuts catch in that game, I thought I could have swore I saw someone on sc just like have like a one handed like coarse scrumple.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This weekend, Yeah, I saw just out of.
Speaker 3: There's like a Robert Morris interception that was like like the the college Robert Morris, like this dude past that was like one of the craziest things I've ever seen. He was like a one handed one right, Yeah, yeah, one handed like flip it like spinning around. There were this weekend.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's watch Brian Kelly totally totally keep it together.
Speaker 1: And we're sitting here again. We're sitting here again about the same things.
Speaker 3: They should have miked the table, They need to mike the tables. And he was smashed again again talking and you can see you see his like water bottle that's across the table, like jump.
Speaker 1: Finishing when you have an opponent in a position. God, this guy must be great to hang out with.
Speaker 3: I know, right, Like God, he must be. He's just like so tightly wound. And I don't know, like coming from a long line of coaches, I think it's like kind of fucked up that we do this to coaches. But like in the right in the right moments, it's like hilarious that we take kind of like these people when they're like on the verge of a nervous breakdown from like combined stress and like failure and put them up on a stage and force them to answer questions.
Speaker 1: Hey, why do you fail.
Speaker 3: To talk about that who have bad stuff about them in the past that they probably have like a like boil, like a simmering, very single vendetta against this. And then those people are like, hey, Hey, so that opposing coach basically pulled your little dick out in front of everyone and jerked you off until nothing came out because you were a boy. What was the thinking going into that coach?
Speaker 1: Hey, coach, think you should leave?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: This is I'm curious so too, Like when you see that, right, like clearly that's also like his communication style. And I get that because foot is such an aggressive sport, Like that's a communication style to motivate it. But like I feel like we're seeing like it you see this evolution in coaching over the last twenty years or like some guys like aren't the screamer types and they're yeah, man, you gotta fucking get in there, like if you got if you want them to perform, like you gotta get them bought in, rather than like I'm going to scream at them like they're my step kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, form of coaching.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting to see like the remnants of that because I remember when when I was playing hockey, like there bro, there were some fucking freaks that would just.
Speaker 3: Rip our heads off, and we were seven grade coach were thirteen year old thirteen year olds and was like the meanest person yeah, ever encountered. I had a.
Speaker 2: Hockey coach that I remember I told my mom I got off the team because this dude was such a fucking scary motherfuckerum and they put me on the older kids team.
Speaker 3: I mean, some of the all time greats. If you're if you're also interested in this, because it's just like the most one of the most naked moments we have in like public discourse, like like no no president is forced to like go up there after a major l and like deliver unprepared remarks that are like just you know, in the form of like questions from media, who's like kind of hospital towards you. If you're interested, there's uh, you want to crown their ass, crown them. But they are who we thought they were, right right right when NFL coach just got up there and kept being like they are who we thought they were. They are who we thought they were. Like what because he had just gotten like his team got cream and then he was like you want to crown their ass, crown their ass, But they were who we thought they were, and like it didn't really make sense, but it like was just who.
Speaker 1: Do they think they are we am and we.
Speaker 3: Are just lost his access to language at that point, and there's of course playoffs and then after me, I'm a man, I'm forty, I'm not a kid. Hell yeah, Miles, what's what's some things overrated?
Speaker 2: I'm like, okay, my own listening comprehension abilities, I've I've been listening to you know, I like a lot of music. The Shaka Demus Implier's song Murder, she wrote, is like a dance hall story. She wrote, yeah, and she wrote, how come I'm learning now that song is about abortion?
Speaker 3: It is? Yes? Is it like an anti choice anthem?
Speaker 2: It's hard to say what it is. It's kind of like this. The backstory does not feel like empowering. It's like like he was dating someone named Maxine who was like pregnant and then she wasn't anymore and he was like what happened?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: And like that was kind of like the like the sort of texture you get on the backstory of it. And then in the third verse he talks about like how she gets gets an abortion and stuff, and I was like, well, and a part of me is like, obviously I'm not an expert in Jamaican. Patois so it's not like I'm like, I'm like, how do I miss that? I'm fluid. But for such a song like because you know, there's like this whole pantheon of like pop popular songs that are about abortion, like Brick by Ben Folds or like that Goo Goo Doll song.
Speaker 3: Slides, it sounds like it's about abortion. Yeah, like that, it's not like a dancehall anthem. You know, right, hit.
Speaker 1: Slide is the Goo Goo Doll song? Right, that's about abortion?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that's just like but then for a song that's like Burned, like it's such a such a pop that you're like, wait, this has a weird backstory. And then I was reading the Wikipedia article and I gotta find it. Like they asked Angela Lansbury about They're like, hey, you know there's this there's this song called like murder. She wrote, you know, like what do you know? How do you feel about that? Her quote was this was her reaction to it when asked about it. Quote, Oh, reggae. Oh I'm thrilled to be part of reggae.
Speaker 1: Of course, shout out Angela answer.
Speaker 3: She didn't know the shouldn't know the context either.
Speaker 1: It sounds no no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: Like an ode to cabot cove. Yes, yes, I'm very familiar. All right, let's take a quick rape. We'll come back. I'll do my overrated and we'll get in to some news stories and we're back. We're back, and my overrated is I guess like corporatetocracy or like whatever we're headed towards. It ties into a news story because this weekend, Direct TV just like turned off ESPN and ABC because of a contract dispute with Disney. I don't know if you saw this. We are currently in the midst of a big tennis you know, craze us households and the US Open is on, and then it was not on, and they were just like, hey, Disney is like fucking with us. We don't like it. So we're just like this is off for the foreseeable future until they come to the table or whatever.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it just like this happened with Dodgers Baseball not too long ago, a few years back. We just have like lower expectations now more than ever for the systems that, like, you know, obviously these are like superficial things this is just like our ability to watch sports, but we also have like the two astronauts stranded on the ISS, like being an example of like how privatization and like corporatetocracy affects space travel and like comparing that to like this weekend, took my kids to the Science Center because they've been interested in Hubble in the James Web Telescope. So we went to the California Science Center publicly funded, like you don't even have to pay for admittance to the Science Center, and we watched a documentary about the James Web Telescope, which they they mentioned in the documentary it cost ten billion dollars of like tax payer, you know, it's like NASA budget ten billion dollars to put that thing up. And it had like two hundred what they call like zero point moments where if it if everything failed to go exactly as planned, it would like just go off into the universe as space trash. But it just like all these people with like terrible haircuts in Hawaiian shirts and like pun t shirts just like pulled off this fucking miracle in you know, some dark room in Florida somewhere, and it's like I don't know. It's just like the comparison of like what we're seeing with corporate Like the more we just let corporations take over everything versus like what happened with Like I feel like even though James Webb got a lot of press at the time, it's still like we don't drive home the point that like this is a publicly funded thing. There's no profitability at the end of it. It's just a thing that we funded because of the end goal is like good for humanity, and it worked. It was like an incredible this incredible achievement that allowed us to like look back into the beginning of the universe. And then we're like we don't really talk about that instead where Elon Musk is a genius.
Speaker 2: Or it's like our public subsidies basically help Elon by Twitter, right, yeah side of it too.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, we just I don't know, and like nobody would ever make the argument in America like that's why tax is good, Like, look look at this amazing thing we achieved by allowing our tax dollars to like go to this incredible achievement. Look at this like White Science Center that like is open for kids of all backgrounds, like go to and you know, just like I don't know, it's fucking I.
Speaker 2: Think because we've forgotten what like the public good that is created from tax money.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You's like it's like even like you just don't hear about.
Speaker 2: This too, like or just like all the state universities that were built, you know what I mean, like with public funds, and we're just kind of like, I don't know, they've they've just been here, rather than realizing it's like these were fucking flourishing. The reason like they're they don't they kind of like look stuck in time is because we haven't been really investing in them since that initial investment, and we should be pouring more into these things like our own infrastructure, and I think we just kind of like I think for people who are less like who don't understand like how a lot of these things came to pass, that it's easier to just take it for granted and be like, yeah, it's just like that stuff that's there, rather and it's like, no, that's why you need to fucking tax the wealthy to create the fucking funds to make more shit that is like the stuff that wows us, that gives us these you know, scientific achievements or discoveries or places of learning or social safety program safe safety nets and the like.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah it's.
Speaker 3: James Webbs, like aud here discovering things that like Einstein predicted with math like fifty years before we knew that we'd ever be able to like see them and well enough to like prove them, right, But he was just like there should be like a mansion black hole here and like that. And I don't know, like Einstein's also a good example. He's been completely co opted by like corporations, but like I don't think he was like collecting a paycheck from IBM, you know, despite those like think different ads or whoever the fuck that was, you know, Like, but yeah, we we just because of like years and years of like corporate brainwashing it and a media that is completely corporate owned. I feel like we don't get messaging about like here's a great public works thing that was achieved with tax payer money, right, we just kind of zoom past it. And then now when like Disney and AT and T have a disagreement and like our lives are like temporarily inconvenienced, we're just like, Okay, that's how it goes. It's like, no, this fucking bullshit. It's a bad system. It's a bad system, is what I'm saying. And that is the first time I've ever said that on this podcast.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just nervous. I've just realized that corporatocracy bad system.
Speaker 1: I'm nervous about what this is going to do, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh man? Anyways, Uh, let's get into some news stories, shall we. Sides and news stories about what I can't watch on TV?
Speaker 1: Can't we can't watch the men eat hot dogs.
Speaker 3: I just switched to sling, and like, I'm probably not gonna switch back, Like because there you go, why why would you?
Speaker 1: I mean at this rate?
Speaker 2: Like everyone there, it's the same thing with cable, it's like yeah, yeah, you get this introductory rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and then we're gonna turn it up on you, and then you send.
Speaker 3: Two years later you look at your bill and you're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Seven hundred dollars? One the funk happened? Well, we wanted a DVR, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Just watch sports? All right? Let's talk about RFP. He spent a lot of his campaign like whining about how it was a conspiracy is keeping him off ballots. Yeah, you need to get on those ballots. People see, we're going to have a fair election. So now what's happening. What's what's the latest update.
Speaker 2: Well, first you couldn't get on the ballots, and now you can't get his name off, which is what he wants because you know, because he's he's now you know, on the road to becoming the nation's road meet Czar. And part of that deal was to trade in what was left of his parasite riddled soul to stop his campaign to help Donald Trump win. But now that part of that means he has to make good on his end of this bargain, which is, hey, man, get your fucking name off the ballots so you don't split the vote or people end up supporting you that could be supporting me, Like like, let's now, let's handle this part. He's successfully been able to get his name off like a few places like Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, among many others, but in consequential swing states like North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Michigan, he's looking at a big old uh oh where they're like, bro, it's too fucking late, Like you we can't Like we're we've sent ballots out to counties. We can't fucking reprint, reprint millions of fucking ballots, Like it's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So sorry.
Speaker 2: Other places are like, well, once you've submitted and you have a nomination, like it is what it is. There's no take back seats. So he's suing the state of North Carolina and their election board to try and get off the fucking ballot there because it's pretty i mean for a campaign that has little money, I'm sure that Trump campaign is probably helping because North Carolina, you know, is one of the most important states in terms of Donald Trump having a path to victory in terms of like electoral college math. Now that like there are many other states in play for Democrats, like he has like North Carolina, Like you can't fuck around with it anymore?
Speaker 3: Is that because like it would be an indication that like other states have gone bad.
Speaker 2: For him or yeah, well there's so many There's just so many of these, Like after you get through your solidly red states and you look at what's teetering, you're like, well, for the amount of electoral college votes you got there, like you kind of need those because then you then you are starting to cobble together other states that might be way more competitive. So all that's to say is this has become a big focus of rfk's you know, defunct campaign now because yeah, this is the the polling is now tightening more and more and more whatever that means. But clearly that's enough for them to take action, to think like, okay, this is this is a bit of a mp my problem to out right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Trump admitted he interfered with the election. No big deal, right, but yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like, I'll just play this clip. We're we were we were just talking.
Speaker 2: About Jack Smith, you know, uh, going after him again with a new indictment now taking out a lot of the language that was sort of deemed you know, quote problematic in terms of the Supreme Court decision. Where if you are president god, you can fuck around and not find out.
Speaker 3: It's like when you get like bad notes on a first draft of something and then you're like, I will follow your notes to the letter of the law. I will easier numbers specifically.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, if this is what you hear it is, now do you like it? You like this toothless, non creative thing anyway, So part of that was or over the weekend he did an interview on Fox where that came up, and Trump's just being like, let me show you a little bit of how I see the law or what is legal or not. This is him talking about him definitely interfering with the election.
Speaker 4: Whoever heard you get indicted for interfering with a presidential election where you have every right to do it. You get indicted, and you pulled. Numbers go up when people get indicted, you pull numbers go down.
Speaker 3: Wait what you have every right to interfere and you heard.
Speaker 2: You get indicted for interfering with a president presidential election for you have every right to or you have every right to do it.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: You get indicted and you're pulling when people get indicted, So what the fuck that means?
Speaker 3: It's like, this is a great example of him just like admitting like the thing he did is bad. And also just like if Joe Biden had said this, we would have been like, what the fuck is happening with his brain?
Speaker 1: Its just contradiction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the span of five seconds, and.
Speaker 2: People are increasingly getting more and more bored, like at the rallies, like there's people like there have been more and more people like snickering behind him, like I don't even think their plants. They're just like what the fuck did he just say? Kind of shit, They're like where are we here? It doesn't mean that they will not come out and vote for him, but yeah, anyway, it's interesting to see like people's responses, especially, you know, like former DOJ officials who now like get a check being pundits.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, this is really bad for Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, can we can we just like please just stop doing this because so many things have been.
Speaker 3: Really bad for Donald Trump. Now man, it's over. I mean the game.
Speaker 2: Over all existence is really bad for Donald Trump. But yet he seems to like float away from any kind of tangible like legal jeopardy on a cloud of lies.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well we'll see.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, but yeah he said that, and you have every right to interfere. It's just like I think, just underscorees, like his level of narcissism is just like in these new New highs, where the logic is I did a crime, but people liked it, so that means it's legal.
Speaker 3: Who Ever heard that interfering in a presidential le Like, is he saying that he doesn't think anybody thought that was illegal? Head head, Well, he's.
Speaker 2: Just sort of saying he's I think it's probably saying like I had a right to interfere with it, therefore it's legal. And plus if it was seemed that odie, if it was that odious to voters, why would my polling numbers go up?
Speaker 3: Got it after being in I think he just needs to bring you on to the campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's called And that's not even sane washing. I'm becoming a bit of a Trump I'm get. I get this skewed, fuck boy teenager logic that he applies to. I don't know, mom, Like I brought the gun to school and then everyone cheered. I didn't even bring bullets or nothing. Right, They all thought it was really cool because I was doing like cool like cowboy tricks.
Speaker 1: I didn't even it wasn't even loaded.
Speaker 3: As far as I knew. Yeah, all right. There was a brief general strike in Israel over the weekend that has since been called off because of a u the courts basically saying like it's not not allowed, but it did like fuck things up.
Speaker 2: A lot of relays across the airports, schools, a lot of businesses closed in solidarity.
Speaker 1: They're like hundreds of thousands of people in the streets.
Speaker 2: But as I was like, you know, reading like sort of the reports about it, it wasn't quite like the tipping point moment that it might look like on TV when you see hundreds of cause it's it's still like the outrage is still very much limited to people who are vocal critics of Net and Yahoo. Right, It's not like it's not like his base came out to also protest. So a lot of the strikes were kind of fractured as a result of that and felt like more regional than anything. But this is obviously like in result to the six hostages that they were covered that they were that were that were killed prior to them being recovered.
Speaker 1: And it's just weird to see like people are like Net.
Speaker 2: And Yahoo's a murderer, He's a criminal, and I'm like, oh shit, they're like but then I realized this, just like this discussion is not very narrow.
Speaker 3: Limit to the hostages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, like and the the tension there is high, Like there were people who were like like marching on the order like of Gaza to try and be like, we're going to get our own family out then if the government won't do it. So yeah, he's you know, I think it's getting to a point now where people are seeing it's like, yeah, this guy is not a serious actor or good faith actor in any of these negotiations, Like it's all about not having a ceasefire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people who you know have family members who are hostages or yeah, it feels like while while they their focus is on the hostages, it does seem like a way that it's clear that Netu like doesn't care about like he's almost holding them hostage as well. Like yeah, you know, whether the policy of the idea have to like shoot people on site in areas where the hostages are being held, or the continued all out bombardment of every building in a region where the hostages are supposed to be it's pretty hard to claim, as he did recently, that like nobody cares more about the hostages than me, you know.
Speaker 2: And this is also happening while you know, you're seeing a full scale invasion in the West Bank also, and so the the fuckery and the like the actual crimes.
Speaker 1: International crimes continue at pace.
Speaker 3: And the thing they're calling out in regards to the hostages, like is that he keeps changing. Like you know, a lot of the mainstream American accounts of the ceasefire negotiations are like, I'm also like didn't come to the table or and like these people are at least like coming out and saying like he insisted on adding Yahu insisted on like adding demands to a proposed ceasefire deal that would have seen the hostages release, Like you know, like another person said, like time after time, there's a chance to bring them home, and he finds other reasons for it not to happen, almost as if he's he just wants this to continue because he wants the word to continue because it's helpful to his specific political aspirations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for his far right wing government, and he has to manage that coalition government. Now he's having to manage in a growingly unhappy, populous and yeah, I mean there are you know, the reports are also like in an increasingly impatient Biden administration, I am that just feels like a big favor to the Biden administration. I don't know what exactly the pressure like there's still no conditions on the armament of Israel. So I don't know where that's like, what exactly is happening. I think one thing that they're pointing to is a reporter asked Joe Biden over the weekend, do you think that you know, is NET and Yahoo doing enough right now to bring a ceasefire? And he just said no and then kept it moving. And then you're like, Biden thinks that ya not doing enough. But where is the I mean, because remember the DNC, Biden was saying like he thinks he could get a ceasefire done by the end.
Speaker 1: Of the week, And I'm like, are It's like, are you so nice that? Are you so It's.
Speaker 2: Like, are you so naive? Or do you think people are so naive? Or is it a little bit from column A in a little bit from college.
Speaker 3: I think I think we're we're in the little bit of a little bit of b but I don't know. Like just also, just general strike is a term that is good to see in headlines, Like when you google general strikes in the US, there are things like Seattle General Strike of nineteen nineteen and Oakland General Strike of nineteen forty six. The general strike is a big deal that I don't know, it's just good, good idea to introduce to people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, but they're also understanding that, like the political project of both parties is to make sure that the labor doesn't have enough power or organ like organizational power to make something like that happen. Right and then then and that should be the appeal for us understanding my like, you know, organized labor is a good thing, especially after this day where Trump did nothing.
Speaker 1: I think I think he just sat down.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. We're back. And JD. Evance continues to not be.
Speaker 2: Always going to do a start a story, go JD. Evans continues to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely crush it. So uh. He posted an old clip of a two thousand and seven Miss teen USA contestant who drew widespread mockery for rambling response to question I forget what.
Speaker 2: The question it was about that educ I think it was about the educational system. That's where the woman famously gave the answer. The Asian countries in the Iraq such as.
Speaker 3: And so forth. Yeah, So he posted that video and said I have in the hold of the full Kamala Harris CNN interview because Kamala Harris and Tim Walls gave an interview to Senna at the end of last week and we were all glued to our TV screens just like, no, I did you watch it?
Speaker 1: No I saw, I saw, I saw clips.
Speaker 2: But if there weren't really headlines talking about anything like that felt like it made her shift in policy. I was like, it's yeah, whatever. I mean, everyone was like praising it. They're like they knocked it out of the park. It was a masterclass in how to dodge Trump gotcha.
Speaker 1: Moments or whatever.
Speaker 2: Sure, I did see like one part where they were like trying to ask her about her identity, and I was like, are.
Speaker 3: Y'all serious with this shit? You guys Like she used to be Indian, now she's black.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she just said She's like I'm not like next question. And then like Politico was like she evades answering question, Like why would you even word it like that?
Speaker 3: Nice dodge. Yeah. Anyways. In addition to the inherent misogyny of comparing a female presidential candidate to a beauty pageant contestant, the move was condemned by the former contestant herself, Caitlyn Upton, who decried online bullying in her own post then deleted her Twitter account altogether. And yeah, she's been like this has been a horrible experience for her, Like yeah, and this.
Speaker 2: Was like I remember, this was like two thousand and seven, right when it happened. Yeah, and I remember, like I think I just graduated college.
Speaker 1: I thought this was the funniest shit.
Speaker 3: I was pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then and then this is like before you kind of begin to have like like empathy like as a person too, and then understand how terrible the internet is. Luckily, this was like early Internet, so you were like limited to like being on like Ebomb's World or.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so yeah, this really fucking this fucked your life up.
Speaker 1: Pretty bad and being the laugh being a laughing stock.
Speaker 2: And then this is this moment he went on CNN and they're like, hey, dude, did you know about you know, like this is kind of a fucked up thing to post given and like what this did to this woman, And this is how Jdvans just.
Speaker 1: Fucking handles it like an absolute wonderful man.
Speaker 5: As right after CNN released a small clip of the Harris interview. You on Twitter posted a clip from a Miss teen USA beauty pageant from two thousand.
Speaker 1: Is self satisfied great, and you wrote, I.
Speaker 5: Have gotten a hold of the full Kamala Harris CNN interview. Now this thing that surfaced around the internet for a few years she had, you know, she struggled answering a question back in this beauty pageant.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure you're aware.
Speaker 5: In twenty fifteen, Caitlin Upton did an interview in New York Magazine about all the social media attention this clip got, and she said, I definitely went through a period where I was very, very depressed, but I never let anybody see that stuff except for people I could trust. I had some very dark moments where I thought about committing suicide.
Speaker 1: So when you posted this last night, were you aware that the woman you.
Speaker 5: Were posting a picture of had some long blank citing suicide for the attend and received.
Speaker 6: Mm hm No, certainly not, John, And my heart goes out to her and I hope that she's doing well. Look, I've said a lot of things on camera. I've said a lot of stupid things on camera. Sometimes when you're in the public eye, you make mistakes, and again, I think the best way to deal with it is to laugh at ourselves, laugh at this stuff, and try to have some fun in politics. I posted a meme from twenty years ago, and I think the fact that we're talking about that instead of the fact that American families can't afford groceries or healthcare young families.
Speaker 2: He goes on and on, and the guys see it is like, would you like to apologize?
Speaker 1: He's like, now, I'm not gonna apologize.
Speaker 3: Nope, And we're good here, we're good.
Speaker 2: Look, we need to laugh at people a little bit, like completely missing the point, but yeah, yeah, we're not shocked that. He would also like probably not know that and then be like yeah, I don't care, dude, and then try and make it is like, this is about having fun, man, that's the thing, Like we're just political campaigns are so uptight. I mean yeah, because the stakes are so fucking Hi, you loser, what are you talking about.
Speaker 1: Have a little fun, man.
Speaker 2: It's like ignore you know, like our crumbling earth and you knowing untold inequality and oppression.
Speaker 1: Ah, yeah, this is what I have a little fun man.
Speaker 3: We gotta laugh, We gotta I'm the Internet VP. I'm a good podcast guest.
Speaker 2: Mostly banged a couple of couches in my day, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And I don't let that get to me. We're having a little fun, you know, That's all it is.
Speaker 3: Really feels like he should be freelancing for Stuff magazine in the year two thousand and two.
Speaker 2: Oh you know not, you know you probably he probably met Gutfeld. He's like, dude, the ship you were doing at Maxim. Oh fucking I'm not joking when I say this, Man, I feel like I'm in front of Lord Byron or something, you know, A true fucking master of the written word.
Speaker 3: He's got the like just annotated copies of old Maxim magazines with could you.
Speaker 2: Imagine he's like this, yeah, written with the little thing post it notes, like the ones that were like lit the matchstick size just glittered out of one issues, Like, can I just go through some of my favorites?
Speaker 1: Man, it's a Lindsay Lohan episode. Yeah, you're gonna love this issue.
Speaker 3: He also uh the Weekend. This weekend, we saw a twenty twenty one podcast clip surface in which Vance attacked professional women with no children, calling it a path to misery, which uh.
Speaker 1: To misery, Yeah, path to victory, bath and misery.
Speaker 3: He's just I don't know, even setting aside like the weirdly specific hate that he has for women who don't have children, it just feels like a bad political move. Like half of the women in the country don't have children. Doesn't that mean like he's repeatedly insulting a quarter of the population. Is like they're not gonna vote for me?
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, I mean because it's the same thing, like right, like they're just dope, They're just again, this is like a really terrible habit that Trump, the whole Maga thing has, where like they're like, we don't need to appeal to anybody to the just the middle. Just fucking turn the heat up and let's boil this pot down to the most fucked up primordial goo of voters who are just absolute creatures of the swamp, of the racist swamps. I mean, the same thing with like why he's doing Trump's doing appearances in like sundown towns and like where the like clan town in Michigan, Like he knows, like it's all fucking intentional, And I'd be like, yeah, man, you guys, how about how about this thing's for you right?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: That can can you get everybody to come out now if I'm talking directly to you?
Speaker 3: And other tragic news. Uh, Harry Potter super fans gathered at like we didn't.
Speaker 1: I thought you said we weren't going to do this one because it's so fucked up.
Speaker 3: It's kind of fucked up and we try not to like get into too much really dark shit, but yeah, this is so a bunch of Harry Potter fans went to London's King Rus station for the annual tradition where real station posts a fake announcement that quote, the Hogwarts Express Train is ready to depart from the fictional platform nine and three quarches the thank you for your all of your compliments at home for my British act network.
Speaker 2: They're going back fifteen seconds positively, babe, get in here.
Speaker 3: Look a British guy just like enters his body.
Speaker 2: Shit, they got a British new British guy on the show.
Speaker 3: I like that they include the fictional platform and they're they're like not even giving them that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just you just because they get to a proper bureaucracy.
Speaker 2: They don't want to confuse anyone to be like, how do I get there the fictional.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks to woke fans showed up, counted down, but when they countdown ended, there were not cheers, there was no announcement.
Speaker 2: There were just booze. Now, let's let's listen to the moment. I mean, god, they were I hope no, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I don't think people traveled from abroad to hear this.
Speaker 2: But here's the moment where the announcement did not come at king Cross station, King's Cross Station, Uh, just a regular announcement. But they even did three two one, yeah, and all they got was sorry.
Speaker 3: Their accent wasn't very strong in that countdown. I'm starting to think that they're just putting the accent. Like you ever noticed in Beatles songs that you can't really hear the accent that strongly in a lot of the parts. They're just doing the accent like they they don't need to do the accent. They just like do that to fuck with us. This is my theory. They're with us, man with men.
Speaker 1: You're cool with that, You're good with that. Man.
Speaker 3: So it was actually well publicized that the gimmick wouldn't be happening this year, but none of the fans noticed because well, they all use feral birds for communication instead of the Internet. You know, the Internet hasn't been invented in their world yet.
Speaker 1: Is that a thing?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's Harry Potter universe. They all use and ship.
Speaker 1: Oh got it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like some you know, like you know, training day ship, like clapping pigeons.
Speaker 3: I mean basically, yeah, that's something that uh, South Central and the Hogwarts community haven't have in common together. Yeah. But the reason for this, uh as if I have to cover it. Wait, isn't that JK rolling canceled? Wow? What that doesn't make sense? Because apparently Britain's Network Rail, which manages King's Cross station, is sick of Harry Potter fans getting in the way. They said the event drew crowds of thousands last year, which made it challenging for us to run the station. Normally, our priority must always be passengers who are trying to make their journeys on the railway. So regretfully, this year there was no in person celebration. Yeah, that's fucked up. That is not okay.
Speaker 2: Just YouTube one of the old ones and put your VR goggles on and just pretend like it's twenty eighteen, you know.
Speaker 3: Because September third of them is first day Hogwarts. That's why, that's why they started doing it. September one, first day, that's that's the Daywarts. There's only one train. Is that how it works in the train, and I feel like the implications if you miss it, you're like kind of fucked. Yeah that was yeah, Well then you drive your dad's flying car to Hogwarts, which happened.
Speaker 2: To Like is there like a thing when you're in the train where like you go through some kind of like warp into like you.
Speaker 3: Just run into a wall and if you're magic enough, you like pass through.
Speaker 2: Oh got it, got it, got it? And so it's interdimensional travel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like kind of they have like a magic disappearing wall, YadA YadA, YadA magic.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to get home from Hogwarts, but you don't you miss the train and you got to take your dad's flying Mini Cooper.
Speaker 1: Do you do you also fly through a wall or no?
Speaker 3: No, no, you just fly the enchanted car back and then try and hope that nobody sees you.
Speaker 2: But I mean, yeah, man, I feel like I've seen a scene where a car is like in the air and then it hits a road and they're like, all right, we're good.
Speaker 3: I would just drive.
Speaker 1: Nobody saw that shit, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, they can do anything they want because like when it's just like magic, you can just be like, yeah, let me spell up one of those am I b zap memory? Right, you know, like they can. It's all good, So don't ask too many questions. All right, it is a coherent fictional universe.
Speaker 1: If I was interested, I would have watched the movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Tuesday, September third. We are back tomorrow with a whole episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourself, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bite, Bite,