Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our three.
Speaker 2: Where does the time go on this show? Man WHOA Dan Patrick Show August fourteenth is simply irresistible Friday, Thank you so much for having me. Man Cave sitting has been a dream, and it's been a joy, honestly doing it right here, taking your calls eight seven seven three DP Show. Go to Danpatrick dot com, Go to DP show on Twitter. We're live on Peacock, NBC Sports Network, Fox Sports Radio in four hundred international cities, Country States, City States, Ships at Sea, Rockets Canada. Even I think they were included in something I just said right there. Football's here, guys, first week of preseason football and chance to fall in love. I fell in love with Jeremiah Love last night. I fell in love with him in college, of course. But I saw the vision, and that's what preseason week one does. Do you see the vision? Are you listening? It's like that little appetizer you have right before you sit down for meet Friday, which you're about to do later, but meet your new NFL team. Jeremiah Love caught my eye yesterday. Joe Burrow getting sacked in this first possession with Cincinnati. That caught my eye in not so great way and not predicting anything from that. Anthony Richardson interception first possession, not exactly as false a fumble later on. He's making highlights every time he comes out on the field, two highlights, one for his team and one for the other team. And that's something you see in the preseason, and then you don't see it too much in the regular season because then you're not playing. Fernando mendo is our first look. Lots of light. They're throwing the ball in the middle of the fields into tight windows. And then we had Jeremiah Love, my first love. Gave me a little Isaiah Pacheco with his disgust for the dirt, trying to step as hard as he can, and the little Adrian Peterson. There would be one more Paulie. You know he's a Pennsylvania guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think high school in Ohio, plays at penn State. Got him late in the draft of Steelers. We were at the draft and when the Steelers picked them, they're like, there was a mark. There was an ovation, a bit of a mild ovation, Yes, absolutely mild.
Speaker 2: Can you have a mild ovation?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was a smattering of a movation, right, I mean you would call that highly touted. Things went sideways for Penn State so fast last year. Now, he dropped in the draft, but he only dropped at third round. Wasn't he dropped to the fifth round and it was a freebie. But his final numbers at Penn State we heard him before he went on the show, and it was over sixty touchdowns and low teens interceptions, And I said, that can't be right. It didn't feel like that got injurted his senior year. That team went sideways. But Drue Ell or somebody maybe to watch going on in the rest of this preseason. That's what we have here around the man Cave. I've been waiting for this. We're gonna set the rules here because this is gonna maybe resemble a program you have seen on a mother in law ship network for many years. But let's branch out a little bit here. This is gonna be head to head, one to one matchup, and I'm viewing the matchups now before me. Paul versus Marvin Fritzy verse Dylan first round. Around the man Cave, the man making the argument can choose his best take football related for fifteen seconds. So Paulie, Marvin, you can take your own take. You don't have to argue the same topic. Just give me your best fifteen seconds. Remember this is round one because round two is gonna have a wrinkle. And around the man cave, let's get a on the clock, Paulie, your best football take fifteen seconds.
Speaker 3: I saw an article the other day who is the Indiana Hoosiers of college football this year? And I got the answer to that. Nobody remember what the Hoosiers did last year. I still can't believe it happens. Sixteen to zero Heisman winner Kurt Signetti. It's one of the great stories in sports history. They you know, many ten win seasons they had in the last one hundred and twenty years. None none, ten win seasons before Signette got there. There is no next Indiana. It's one of one.
Speaker 2: I was gonna try to ring the gong for the end of that, but that's fine. Yes, okay, Marvin, around the man Cave to you, fifteen seconds, your best, Prince take.
Speaker 5: The Houston Texans are going to the Super Bowl this year. I think they're very reminiscent of the two thousand Ravens or maybe the eighty five bears for Paulie. I think that CJ. Stroud's gonna have a big year. He's going into a year where he needs to play big to get that big extension that he wants. And with Will Anderson, Junior, Stingley, all those guys, they are ready and they are poised to make a big play this year.
Speaker 2: Hot take round one, score Marvin one, Paulie zero. Paulie's strong argument meant to college football, which all allowed still in the worlds of football. Could have been an email, could have been an email around the man cave, Fritzy versus Dylan. Here we go, any take you're fired on here fifteen seconds on the clock, Fritzy first to you.
Speaker 6: Since I'm wearing the gear, I'm gonna dive all in. And I've seen these tears about the top quarterbacks in the league. I think a certain Denver Bronco team was the one seed in the AFC. No one's got them anywhere, and if you look at any rankings, they're nowhere near the super Bowl. They're looked at as a mediocre team. I know they have a very tough schedule, especially the first half of the season, but I am personally insulted, as should Bronco Nation and Bronco maniacs everywhere. The Denver Broncos looked at it as a slightly above average team that's not going to get anywhere near the super Bowl and bo Nicks is maybe put in the middle a longrest quarterback.
Speaker 2: I think you went twenty five there, Fritzy. You think I went shorted In the other two guys around the man Cave, Dylan Grady.
Speaker 7: I think Daniel Jones is going to be an MVP candidate this season.
Speaker 2: Oh there is coming off this take.
Speaker 7: Oh, my friend, right now, he probably has the best job security he's had in his career. Obviously, we saw last night Anthony Richardson and Riley Leonard not exactly banging on the door.
Speaker 2: They have a great tight end than Tyler Warren.
Speaker 7: Jonathan Taylor still a stud, and we saw what they were capable of at the beginning of last season when they were the best team in the NFL for a bit. If they can just maintain that and he cannot fumble, I don't know, Patty, thing could happen.
Speaker 2: A working title for Around the Mancave was convinced me. I am simply vinced by that not convinced. I'm just vinced. Points Fritzy. There we go. Ah, that's round one one nothing Fritzy over to three not two rules in round two, gentlemen, stay with me. We're around the mancave. Round two. Here's the new rule, the wrinkle. The opponent now picks the topic. One must argue for their hot take fifteen seconds. Paul's going to be making the argument, which means, Marvin, you're telling him what he pass through?
Speaker 4: Are you?
Speaker 5: LSU winning the national title in college football this season?
Speaker 2: Ohoa, put it on the clock fifteen seconds, can't even think about it.
Speaker 3: Let's go bully the best story in college football. We'd be for Lane Kiffin, the villain of the sport, to outdo expectations this year and be in the national title game. The entire country would line up to root against LSU. And you need villains. It doesn't matter who he's facing the title game. Most people would root for that team. It would be beautiful and it could happen.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 2: And if it did happen, would that make him this year's Indiana? No, because you told me that it's not even possible. WHOA but no, very strong. I think you liked it very strong take here, Marvin, you're up and Paul's gonna give you your topic for take around the man Cave. Go.
Speaker 3: This is based on Marvin's love for Yukon basketball. Your take is Danny Hurley should have left and taken the Lakers job when offered.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 5: Because you end up seeing what happened, you'll know.
Speaker 2: You have to make the case for it. Marvin, he pulled the strategy you were not aware of. Yes, you have to convince me, make the case for Danny Hurley taking the Lakers job.
Speaker 5: All right, So when he was gonna leave Yu Kond and go to the Lakers, he would have Luca Austin Reeves and Lebron James and the way.
Speaker 2: He My goodness, this is so tough.
Speaker 5: He con his offenses, Paul, he got in Marvin's kitchen.
Speaker 2: In that right, there is a two point swing. Oh, Pops has come on and emerged from his matchup with Marvin. Yes, this is you have to convince me. Around the man Cave convinced me. Addition, Paul, that was a veteran maneuver like like my parent. We've never seen before. Wow, thank you. You will advance to the title round here who will he meet Fritz or Dylan around the man cave. And now we have an opportunity here, Dylan, to throw whatever you want at Fritzy and he's got to give you a fifteen second convinced me argument.
Speaker 7: Well, Todd, convince me why Peyton Manning should get credit for the Broncos Super Bowl win.
Speaker 6: The mere presence of Peyton Manning and the confidence that he exudes, and you see him changing the play at the line of scrimmage. As great as the defense was, it me need have been overhyped the whole you know. And they basically they look at Peyton Manning and they know we're gonna score a certain amount of points. He's gonna find a way to get us in the end zone and we're gonna be just fined because Number eighteen's in charge, and just his presence alone is enough to make sure you're gonna get one more point than the other team.
Speaker 2: You are so strong and then you win double time. Ah, do we have to walk that back? We'll see, we'll see very strong argument, Dylan. I like the strategy in your choice. And now Fritzy, I gotta return fire, return fire with fire.
Speaker 6: Make the argument why You're Baltimore Ravens not only will not win the AFC North, it could easily finish no better than third in the division.
Speaker 2: I can very easily make that argument.
Speaker 7: Last year they lost to the Steelers to miss the playoffs on the last second kick. So obviously the AFC North it's always a razor thin margin. The Bengals are gonna be probably the best they've been in three years this season. The Browns don't count. Who cares but the Steelers. I think Aaron Rodgers might actually have a little left in the tank this year. I could see the Ravens finishing third, no problem.
Speaker 2: Dylan. It almost seems like you've mentally prepared yourself for that result. I you know, I thought Todd might go somewhere in the Ravens department. I didn't know what. But interesting, interesting final ruling Fritzy for the win there. I am impressed in how much he got to Peyton Manning and the real reality of how Peyton did lead that team. And now we've got a final championship Paul versus Fritzy. Here we're into the third round of Around the man Cave, and this is convinced me. Now and once again it will be your opponent who tells you the topic. It could be football, it could be any sport, it could be outside of sports. Question mark Fritzy an opportunity to give Paul the question first.
Speaker 6: With the Chicago Bears, his Chicago Bears playing I guess in Indiana. Convince us why there might be some Bears fans that aren't gonna be as passionate about their Bears because they're no longer playing in Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bears fans gonna be quite upset if they go to Indiana because that's not the state of Illinois, much less the city of Chicago, and exporting this team from the beautiful location they have on the Lake is indefensible and will be met with despair by Bears fans because that's the next fifty years of the team. It's a horrible decision, and Bears fans will revolt.
Speaker 4: I was strong.
Speaker 2: There was flames, flames on the side of his face coming out of Paul. There. If we can go back and look at his face while delivering that, Fritzy had released the topic, and within a fraction of a second, Paul was locked in mode. All right, Fritzy getta locked in here? Paul's gonna give it back to you, and this will decide around the man Cave. Any topic in the world, and you have to convince me, Paulie. I'm sorry for Fritzy, and Paulie's in charge of the topic, Paul what will be the job.
Speaker 3: At their peak? The best quarterback I've ever seen playing the quarterback position was Dan Marino, not John Elway.
Speaker 6: Dan Marino was extra special. I remember a game on Monday Night Football against the Jets where he pretended he was gonna snap the ball and I have to take a knee, and then he threw a touch on pairs. Dan Marino, that look, that smiled, that ten That's all you need to know about Dan Marino.
Speaker 4: Elway.
Speaker 2: He granted he brought.
Speaker 6: Some teams that were terrible to the Super Bowl, but they also got blown out in all those Super Bowls. Dan Marino is sexy with the curly hair, and he's all about Miami. And Dan Marino was just the most awesome thing that ever played.
Speaker 2: Did you convince me, Fritzy? Do you believe it in your heart of hearts? I don't. A wise man once said Fritzy, it's not a lie if you believe it. You did not believe it. Today's winner, Paul Pops. It's a comeback story. He was down in round one. He turns it around and he has emerged victorious in today's edition of Man Cave thirty seconds now to talk about whatever you want, Paulie, Please, floor's yours.
Speaker 3: You know I'm gonna talk about you, Tony Reality. It's lovely to have you here in the Man Cave, and you're built for TV, and it's great to have you on TV. In step taking this moment, I'm gonna take a moment to tease the next guest we have on this show. You told us yesterday on this show, Tony Reality, your all time favorite Yankee.
Speaker 2: Is who Dave Winfield.
Speaker 3: Dave Winfield, the great Yankee, the all Star, the Hall of Famer, will join us next to make your year.
Speaker 2: Dave Winfield coming up next. Your thoughts, Oh my thoughts are I'm over the moon and now I'm a little nervous. Huh that's great. Yes, Oh we read I just saw his face. Don't tease me like that, Dave. It's me, Tony, It's me. It's me Little Anthony.
Speaker 1: This is me.
Speaker 2: When I first saw you, I glasses Anthony really and I loved you. It's happening after the break, I really need to tell you something. Okay, thank you for coming, Dave, for taking your time. You made him take time out of his day. Come on.
Speaker 3: We reached out, Fritzy reached out to the great Dave Winfield, the legendary ball player, and he said, yes, he'd be glad to join you today. Just for you, Tom.
Speaker 2: I'm thankful for you, guys, but more I'm thankful for David Mark Winfield, who I know first and middle name, because that's what he means to me. We'll talk to Dave Winfield, Baseball Hall of Famer on the other side, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Steve Gotts here.
Speaker 8: I have a podcast empire.
Speaker 2: It continues to grow, and I.
Speaker 8: Have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because.
Speaker 2: My wife wanted to kick me out of the house.
Speaker 8: It's called Stu Gotson Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes. Every single day. Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone.
Speaker 1: Calls I love you guys show it's one of my favorites.
Speaker 8: A lot of interact shit, guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gottson Company and ste Gottson Company Live. So listen to Stu Gotson Company Live and Ouri Original Podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review Stu Gotson Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. You do it today and you can check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Our three, listen to my voice. This is what happens when you're about to meet your hero. I am cracking right now. Our three of the Dan Patrick Show. I'm sitting in for Dan who's about to walk his daughter down the aisle. That's a beautiful thing. And I am here for two days. Some man cave sits and defined folks here. Paulie Fritzy, Dylan Marvin and everybody have given me a gift, an opportunity to talk to my hero growing up, and thank you for that. Guys. I don't even understand how this came to be, but now I have to be professional with a cracked voice and say, Dave Winfield, my name is Anthony Joseph Paul really, and I am pleasure, is my pleasure to meet.
Speaker 4: You, Tony. How you doing?
Speaker 2: There's a voice? Okay, ladies and gentlemen. Dave Winfield twelve times and Major League Baseball All Star, Hall of Famer three thousand hits, four hundred and sixty five home runs, author of a book which I want to talk about and see if I can ask you, if it hasn't been done yet, please you have to do the audio reading of your book. Okay, because your voice, your voice, you did. There we go, Thank you, David. Your voice is actually important to me in the origin story of me. Anthony. Really, I loved you as a player. You were big, strong, and everything athletic. I was little small and I didn't grow until I was nineteen years old. I had a squeaky voice and glasses that I was Anthony really talking about the yikes And that's what I would do with a Fisher Price microphone in front of the game every day as Phil Rizuta was calling the game and Bill White were calling the game, and you were there. You were the opposite of me. You were big, strong. I heard your voice for the first time in a postgame interview and I said, that's what a man sounds like. And I say that, and I had my dad and my grandparents my life. They had beautiful voices too. But thank you. Thank you. Sometimes with heroes, of course, they never know the impact that they have on people. Now have a chance to tell you that. I want to tell you that you showed me the opposite side of it, and that helps me grow up to the man I am today. That there's Tony.
Speaker 4: I appreciate. I appreciate hearing that. Really, you know, I've been fortunate in life, blessed that I was able to do something for a career and a life that I always dreamed about doing. And you know, not only just as a player, but I guess maybe it was where I come from, my hometown, my family upbringing. The career was about doing things for other folks, too, service to others. It wasn't just about me. I mean, I wanted to reach my potential and I always knew that. You know, if I hit two ten or two twenty, ain't nobody listen.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe now Dave. Dave, that would be enough to enough to get you through an All Star appearance.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, yeah, But I did have the career even more than I ever dreamed of. And as you say, as you see we're talking here today where we do mention my book, man, I have an interesting life, and I never really shared all of the intimate stories and things that make up my life. People think they know it, people in New York because that was in the headlines all the time, and there was conflicts with George Steinberner and that time. But I cover those kinds of things, and I'm gonna take you behind the curtain, you know, into the rooms where those intimate discussions were had and we were with square off in the squares circle and do what we had to do.
Speaker 2: I was always with you, Dave. I was on your side no matter I appreciate it. The book is Touching All the Bases. A story of Power, Purpose and Surviving the Bronx by Dave Winfielden's released September fifteenth. Wherever you get books. You said something, Dave, that is my code in life. We are sympotical in this. You want to feel better about yourself, do something for other people. And how you have had an opportunity through your skill as a baseball player, through your literal voice as a man now who has been through things in life and wants to share and make the road easier for other people. That's so admirable and I adore that in anybody now. To know that my hero does that makes my life feel even more full circle. Can you take me back to the eighties with the I didn't know you in the seventies with the pods, and at that point you had already proven yourself to be one of the great athletes in the game. But the eighties in New York, for me, the coverage around you and I was firmly on your side, But I never understood why it was so conflicted as a young man. What was that.
Speaker 4: The guy I worked for who on the team the Yankees, was just a mercurial type of guy who was used to running the show and bullying people. And you know when I do I mentioned this, Look, there's some tough things that I had topics that I cover here. I but it's also it's not about me ripping somebody a new backside, because there's a lot of things about redemption in here and you know, discussions that we've had beyond what you saw in the newspapers. But George Steinbern and he just he told me early on basically, I'm not going to respect the contract that we have and if you don't like it, sue me. I can't. I can't. I'm going to give it to you, just straight up. And that's a month into it, and so I had to live with the consequences and the things for almost ten years after that. So it was a kind of a toxic, very toxic workplace. Every day I went to work hard to believe really putting up those numbers, and people always ask me, Dave, how did you survive? How did you thrive? Why did you stay? What enabled you to stay and ultimately become the player that you were, you know you set out to be. So I cover a lot of ground in this, but overall, I'll just say this, My book will cover sports, business, philanthropy, family and community. So I'm touching all the bases and I think it's going to be inspiring, motivational, celebratory, and I look forward to it being on the market.
Speaker 2: Dave Winfield joining us on the Dan Patrick Show. I'm Tony really sitting in for Dan for the day. This was a surprise. Dave was my childhood hero and as I'm learning now and I can't read wait to read the book, were a hero too, as he's talking about self growth and redemption and doing things for other people. Dave twelve time All Star. Fun questions, how come you couldn't keep the bat in your hands when you were swinging?
Speaker 4: Man? I tried to knock the cover off the ball every.
Speaker 2: Time if it was human out, but punts hard didn't exist for you.
Speaker 4: You know, Look, Tony, I might have the record for heaving that bat pretty far. It could get a lift. I one time accidentally threw it, passed the picture. It landed in the short center field. Yeah, yeah, you know that was my swing man. I'm trying to, like I say, knock the cover off the ball. Uh, take an extra base in someone's face, slide hard, Get dirty out there, That's what I mean. Not dirty as a player, but dirty dirty.
Speaker 2: Get the uniform dirty, give him a reason to clean it. That's why. Another reason why I was drawn to you, the athlete that you were, that you had played college basketball and college baseball. Now you were drafted. This is a famous story Dave. How many sports were you drafted into professional leagues?
Speaker 4: I was drafted in three professional sports that of course, the NBA, the ABA, Major League Baseball, and the NFL. The Vikings, my hometown, drafted me and thought I could be a tight end catch some passes from Frank Tarkinton.
Speaker 2: That would work. I could see that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I could see that. But I'd probably be like this today.
Speaker 2: You know I dover though. Would you do another one? Would you consider it? Today's era could allow for you to play a little bit longer?
Speaker 4: Both Well, No, No, I would have still played baseball. And that was my love. When I grew up. My brother Steve and I, you know, he would we would go to bed at night and he would think of making the greatest catch ever in Major League. You know, you'd catch over the show. He could do that. At twelve, thirteen years.
Speaker 2: Old, I saw you do that, Dave. You made one of the greatest catches of my life in left field. You're playing left field that day for the Yankees. You know the one I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: Of course, right because the wall, I was stuck in the wall.
Speaker 2: He's stuck in the wall. Your head was in somebody's lap. Apparently, you know, is amazing your arm, Dave. Now this is just going to turn into a Chris Farley as an l bed where I'm just like, do you have an arm? Dave? Tell me about your arm. You had one of the best arms. I used to have fights with people. You know, Dave Parker. Dave Parker, I love him, great, nice beautiful eyes. Yeah, my man is Dave went Field with the arm.
Speaker 4: You know. I always had a good arm growing up, and it was probably from throwing all the rocks in the neighborhood anything that moved rackam you know. But I was a picture. Most people don't know that. I was a pitcher throughout my entire life, all the way through college and then I don't go to the minor legs and they say, Dave, play the outfield, we want you to hit. Think about that. We've so otani.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dave, that's where I wanted to go.
Speaker 4: Dude, he's doing to the greatest extent when I was doing for a few years all the way through.
Speaker 2: Co Would you have done that in Major League Baseball?
Speaker 4: I think I could have. I know I could have done both. I could have pitched or hit. What he's doing is so phenomenal. It's uh, you know who can say. I mean, it's never been seen before what he's doing. But I did both of those all the way, you know, growing up through high school through college and did both. I was an MVP of the College World Series.
Speaker 2: I know, Dave Yes.
Speaker 4: When we were eliminated all of a sudden, I'll go to left field, played left field, no honor league experience.
Speaker 2: I understand you have a documentary in the works as well, but the name of the book, Touching All the Bass, is a story of power, purpose and surviving the Bronx. They wouldn't feel the author. The Hall of Famerumber fifteenth is when it will be available. You've got an opportunity to play in the World Series later in your career, and that's, of course a wonderful moment. What do you appreciate Do you appreciate it more? Maybe that you got it in your later stage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, listen, Tony real quick. The first World Series I was all prepared for, but it didn't work out with the Yankees, the Dodgers beat us in eighty one. It took me to nineteen ninety two in Toronto to be able to win at all. And then my very last year in ninety five, I tore a rotator cuff and I was unable to play in the World Series when Cleveland played Atlanta in Atlanta won their first So I won one, lost one and was injured for them. But just to have that experience, that's the way you endo practice every day of growing up. Men on base, game on the line, you know, for all the money or whatever the case may be, and then you end up with a git, and then you go home and you're happy. You don't go home happy if you Oh I swung a mist I struck out and the bats stuck up on your backside, you know.
Speaker 2: So look at the smile of my hero here too. I mean you talked about the voice. You never fix the teeth. I loved that about you too, you see. I mean that's just the gaff between the teeth and everything. There's a thing about meeting your hero or talking to your hero. You get a chance to tell them what they mean to you, you know. And I do a thing with my kids, Dave. You know who helped you today and who did you help?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: You end the day with like so you don't ask them how was your day? You asked them, who helped you today? And who did you help? You helped me today by a period of the show, you had no business. You're to be honest, You're surprised me and you helped me, like I told you, because you showed me what the height of sports was is and I was a man who wanted to do sports or at least talked about sports. Who was your hero?
Speaker 4: It would truly be. It would start with my family. My mother. I raised my brother and myself. We didn't have much. My parents were divorced when I was young, so I appreciate everything she poured into us. And I, of course I had a great couple of coaches as young people. As a young man. I will give this guy named Bill Peterson great. He's still alive today. He helped me. He helped Paul Molitor to another Hall of Famer. But I'm gonna I'll tell you this, The Parks and Rec Department in Minnesota was great, and Saint Paul was great. But as far as who I helped, all the guys you see today that have foundations and subsequent to I was the first in all sports to create a nonprofit operating foundation five oh one c three, Derek g who's having his thirtieth annual dinner on the tenth in New York. They're going to honor me. Derek Jeter's one of the guys that I influenced who wanted to be a Yankee and who wanted to have a foundation. So we're very good friend. You never know who you're going to.
Speaker 2: You never know, and that's the wonderful thing when you lead by example like the way you do, or when you share your story. And that's precisely what you did in the book, Touching All the Bases, a story of power, purpose and surviving the Bronx. I'm gonna love it for the baseball. I'm gonna love it for the self growth, I think is how I would describe I'm not saying it in your words, and how you talked about learning and leaning into philanthropy. I'm gonna enjoy that part in the business sense. The book comes out September fifteenth, Dave. It's been outstanding, haven't you.
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 2: We have one more thing, Paulie, mister.
Speaker 3: Winfield, just from us guys here today is the four the anniversary August fourteenth, nineteen ninety one of you hitting home run number four hundred when you're with the Angels.
Speaker 2: I was with California. Yeah, yeah, I remember, Yeah, it wasn't with the Yankees. I wanted four hundred for you and the Yankees. You had the back issue in eighty nine. And then the trade, which was just I mean, I mean Mike Witt was the picture. I believe trade four yeah, West trading history for me. In my house, it was for me. I would read this is back when we read newspapers every day. I'm still young to see what you had done with the Angels, and most of those games weren't in time for the paper. And then I'd always try to make sure, you know, like when you hit a home run, you fill out the whole line, you know, four lines. I was looking for those four lines and you hit I think twenty five home runs that year with California, California.
Speaker 4: You know. I do have to say it was good that I was able to leave the age.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 4: A lot in the tank. And I say this from the standpoint that same year I was traded or accepted the trade, I was comeback player of the Year. Yes, yeah, I go to Toronto, I win a world.
Speaker 2: Champion, made it possible, and then go.
Speaker 4: To minnister, I get three thousand hits and so it enabled me to get out from under this cloud and fulfill my destiny. Happy to go to the other place.
Speaker 2: You needed that, and that is a story. I'm living through this right now. Sometimes you have to go through that and it's a wonderful And I just remember that that hit you had with Toronto. You can hit any pitch. Your exit philosophy would be John Carlos Stanton right now. But that was a ball that was getting away. But you did anything to put the bat and the ball hit that double down the line. Dave Winfeld, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Bucket we'd say, yeah, you've put that hockey stick out there.
Speaker 3: And and last thing, mister Winfield, Tony's not going to ask, but do you have an autograph book for Tony coming this way?
Speaker 2: Oh, we don't have to do that. I'll go to his.
Speaker 4: House and well, look you, I'll sign this one.
Speaker 2: And you owed me up, you know a guy. Thank you very much, Dave. You broke my voice here my voice, Thank you did it? Dave Winfield. Everyone Baseball Hall of Faper twelve time All author book comes out in September and my surprise for work here for two days. You guys give me thanks for coming on. Dave oh Man, that voice, Can I bottle that voice? H Well, I need to be down here too. I was. I was Anthony Reelling talking about the Yankees, fake Fisher Price microphone calling the Yankee games, and Dave Winfield was my star.
Speaker 3: I know we're gonna break, but I wish you could have saw your face during that interface. You had a smile that like it.
Speaker 2: I'm hearing it in my voice.
Speaker 3: Your cheeks couldn't hold in your teeth. It looked awesome, just like when I.
Speaker 2: Talked to Fritzi for the first time. You meet Friday here on the Damn Patrick Show. We're gonna eat some meat here and we are gonna recap the great stories of today and my two days here. I have a couple more observations about Paulie and about Marvin that we haven't done yet, and we'll do it all on the other side for Damn Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sports Radio and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Marvin, you just said it it's different with your first baseball player, and Dylan you said it as well. You know, it's different with your first athlete. I met so many people I admire in our industry, and that's really great. You know, Dan is an example number one. You know, it's just like, yeah, I watched it, the dream was there. I put the cardboard box over my head and pretended like I was Dan Patrick in history class every year to be Dan Patrick as I did my report. That's an important thing for me. But there's something different about the athlete because you're a little bit younger and they're everything that you know. They're big, strong on what you want to be. Who is your your sports heroes Marvin.
Speaker 5: As far as first favorite athlete, Yeah, sure, outside of pro wrestling because I was a pro wrestling fan when I was a kid. Chris Weber okay, Fab five, Michael Jordan was two ubiquitous, everyone loved him. But Chris Weber made me fall in love with basketball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Dylan, Yeah, my first sports here is also baseball. That was the first sport I fell in love with. And Mike Piazza was everything to me.
Speaker 2: And a heavy metal fan too, which is you know, a nice little comedy Manah that Fritzy Nolan, Ryan and John Elway.
Speaker 4: I like the Astros and Broncos.
Speaker 6: And then once you know they were part of those two teams with the rainbow stripe jerseys and something about the orange and blue. All about Ryan and Elway.
Speaker 3: Fully and of course it's Walter Payton. But actually before that, for me in Chicago, it was Mark Aguire of DePaul University, the basketball player. I just loved him, and then Patrick Ewing. I loved Ewing and baseball wise for the Cubs. My first Cubs game, we were in pretty decent seats and I was watching Bill Buckner and the mustache, and I love Bill Buckner. He was my first favorite.
Speaker 2: Cup The man came on an interview with no notice to sit down with me, and the words that came out of his mouth saying, I wrote a book about doing stuff for other people. And it's just like, come on, may get out of my head? What if I said? I mean, I believe sports is about connection. I think it's Sports is the greatest thing we got, and it's great because the athleticism is amazing, and because you know, it's exciting, and competition is great and you want to root and yeah, you can roof for your team and maybe you don't want the other team to win, but I hope you keep it positive. I like to keep it positive, right, Yeah, I want this to so that's great. But then it's the connection. It's the connection you have with the person you're sitting next to watching those games. That's and if I can now spread this out to my two day experience here, you know the connection. This show is about connection. This show is about companionship. This is why I've loved it before I was privileged to appear on it, and now I love it as I'm hosting it. Right, I mean, I think we need places I'm not going to get myself in trouble on sports media. Sports is the greatest, most joyful, positive, unifying thing we have. Sports media should look like that as well. Not only that you could have your drag him out fist fights and it could have whatever else is happening, but to have companion like this show has the gold standard in character and companion. It's It's an observation I had coming in, but I feel it even more now. I knew you guys were good at this. Pauli, Fritzy, Dylan Marvin mariol you know Tyler, Morgan, Criiky, everyone I'd come into it, and I always know the names, always know the names. I always write them down when no one's looking. You to remember that I knew you guys were good. I didn't know how good or how easy you would make it this chair observations. Fritzy already told you your magnificent horned owl look face learning algebra. But beautiful, beautiful, Uh, Dylan, We're going to get you to a perfect poll because you're a perfect man. Marvin. You have a great ability to say six words from across the room and completely change a conversation. I say that in a positive way, but you beat me in basketball yesterday with one quick move and you went left, which is not how it should be. Because you're always right. Everything you said today was absolutely right. Even when you lost your head to head with paul you acknowledge I can't do it because I'm right in my belief and I can't take his argument. You're always right. And then, Paulie, you know your six degrees of Bacon and human form, a pope, a sister, and the actual Kevin Bacon could walk into a bar and you would know all of them, which is an amazing thing. Your forest cup in some ways like that you wear glasses on your face and a very nice part of your nose. I would like the way. Can I say that? When I made that video of that thing you do, I originally also did a face swap. I had some of my friends who a face swap on there. It was two I don't like AI, so we didn't want to AI in that way. But it was too perfect. You look too much like Steve's on cinematic in that way, is what I'm trying to say. So I I matt in Aio looks, but I see the vision. That's what I was trying to do.
Speaker 4: Mario.
Speaker 2: I love the way you make me look on this show. I love the way the show is set. Constant magic hour. You know, Christopher Nolan could take some notes. You could also get me home quicker than twenty years or four and a half hours. That's pretty great. I didn't even get to the tip of the museum here, you know, right. I did notice one thing though, another one of some of these very personal stories for me. I did find this. This is Draws and Petrovitch here a player I grew up with in Jersey. It's a little figurine. There's a Draws and Petrovits playing car here, one of the great games. How good would that guy be in this era, right, Draws and Petrovitch in today's basketball? Oh, I mean it would be till you know Lillard, it would be Karry. It would be a little bit of brunche in two with the guile that he would have in the court. So combo like that, what are we talking about? I love sports. I Am never gonna be the guy who's gonna be jaded by sports. I'm always gonna find this the positivity in sports. That's why we do it for. I'm always gonna find the love that we can share with sports. I've had a room here that is me in room form, you know, personified form.
Speaker 3: It is funny that when guest hosts come in here, they look around the studio and they're like, there's a Kelly Slater's surfboard. There's the Ties Dan war giving out the Super Bowl Trophy. It's just it's we call the Dan Sonian because there's just so much stuff in here.
Speaker 2: Football all weekend, pollie, what's on the docket?
Speaker 3: You got preseason games all night tonight, all day Saturday. Nothing on Sunday, so it's on Friday Saturday too. Nice Slates sports history.
Speaker 2: Anybody got it? I got one for you.
Speaker 3: I got actually two for you This Day in Sports History, Dave Winfield.
Speaker 2: Of course, we just did.
Speaker 3: From rund number four hundred. But Bob Gibson nineteen seventy one of the Cardinals through a no hitter against the Pirates and the player strike there was one in nineteen seventy four that ended. And then Mark McGuire set the record for home runs by a rookie with forty nine in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 2: This Day in sports Yeah, wow, he went bigger than that that season. That seems that seems like that would be later in the year. Fritzy, what we learned?
Speaker 6: You saw the vision of what Feraniana Mendoza can be for the Raiders last night during preseason week one.
Speaker 2: I see the vision and I think that's where we want to be here in preseason one. You don't want to just fall in love. That would be cheap, right. You can fall I can fall in love. I told you. I bet you gave you my engagement story in between the men's and women's that's how we started today's show Man. This is just a really full, full program. You know, I saw the vision in that case. But you don't always have to fall in love. Just the vision is enough when you're watching your games this weekend, fans go for just the vision. Do I see it? Can it happen for my guy? That's it.