Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The Bracket Challenge. You can sign up, you can get involved Fox Sports Radio dot Com and you can play along not only with us, but some of these celebrities friends of the show. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America Official Trading Cards oft the DP show this first hour brought to you by tire rack dot Com. Great people to work with, great tires, great deals, great people, and tire rack dot Com is the way tire buying should be played. The day Pole Question stat of the Day. A little bit later on, Jim Beheim will join us on the program former Heisman winner Robert Griffin Junior third. He can react to the latest news. The Minnesota Vikings are not pursuing Aaron Rodgers. It's official. There are two reports the Vikings are not pursuing Aaron Rodgers. I don't know if the Steelers still are. I don't know if the Giants are. I don't know if pursuing the Giants. Is he pursuing the Steelers. We tried to kick the tires on this Viking situation, and I wondered. I was skeptical, but I thought, okay, if the Vikings are interested in him and JJ McCarthy's not ready to play, okay, then I would take it. I would take a chance on Aaron Rodgers for one year. JJ McCarthy is your future. You trade it up to get him at number ten in the draft last year. But I just didn't know. It felt like maybe Rogers was interested. I just didn't know if it was reciprocated, and maybe internally the Vikings were saying, hey, what about this? What do you think? Maybe you talk to JJ McCarthy, maybe you get an update on his recovery time, and then you finally come to the realization we're good now. I do think they made a mistake in letting Daniel Jones go, because I'd like to have a little bit of experience there as a backup. Sam Darnold was going to cost you more. I got that, But Daniel Jones, I think you could have kept him there and he would have been maybe okay as a backup. But you're getting somebody who is going to be basically a rookie and playing, but coming off knee surgery, and there's going to be an adjustment period. This is a team that was a playoff team, had aspirations of going to the super Bowl. But now if you're Aaron Rodgers, does Aaron Rodgers want to stay in New York? If you wanted to go to the Steelers, you probably would have gone to the Steelers. I don't know if that's a great fit. It's just because it's you know, if he goes into Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is the star. He went to the Jets and they're like, what do you want? Do whatever you want? You want to change the Colors. I don't care. They were desperate. The Steelers aren't desperate. But it feels like you go in there, that's Mike Tomlin you're dealing with, You're dealing with, TJ. Watt, Minka Fitzpatrick. Cam Hayward had something to say he's the Steeler defensive lineman on the Not Just Football podcast on what would your recruiting pitch be to Aaron Rodgers to join the Steelers.
Speaker 3: I ain't doing that the darkness, darkness, treat retreat. I don't mean any of that crap, like either you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler or you don't. That's that's simple. That's the pitch. If you want me to recruit. That's the recruiting pitch. You know, Pittsburgh Steelers. If you want to be part of it, so be it. If you don't no skin on my back exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what I've been saying. You're the Pittsburgh Steelers. Don't lower yourself. Oh Aaron, could you please come here? Move on? You should have kept justin fields. At least that gave you a bridge quarterback for the next two years. Maybe he develops into something. Now what do you have Mason Rudolph? Okay, are you gonna bring Russ back? If it's true that Russ and Arthur Smith, the offensive coordinator, didn't get along at the end of the season, or maybe you didn't see eye to eye. But you're the Steelers, now, I get it. The Giants, they are gonna have to beg to get Aaron Rodgers, the Giants who would have thought one of the blue bloods. And you're waiting to find out, would Aaron Rodgers please come and play for our team? It feels like the Giants are taking Shadoor Sanders. I don't have any information on that other than it feels like Shadoor has thought all along that's where he was going. Now, can you bring in somebody? Do you bring in Aaron Rodgers and let Shador Sanders sit a year? Maybe? But the once proud New York Football Giants they're waiting for Aaron Rodgers. And if you're the Steelers, move on, move on. You might not have somebody as good as Aaron Rodgers, or the ceiling might not be as high, but move on the Steelers. You don't do this, please, And then Russell Wilson, I still think Kirk Cousins plays a role in this somewhere, at some point, somehow. Now the Falcons, you know, they have him, they're paying him, they want him to be their backup. And it feels like every team needs a you know, a good backup. If you're going to be a playoff team, you've got to have a good backup. Chances are your quarterback's going to get dinged up a little bit at some point somewhere down the line. Michael Pennix Junior, the third has been banged up in his career, early in his career when he was in Indiana. So the quarterback in carousel, I don't know if it's stopped or stalled, but it doesn't seem like it's going at the same speed that we thought it was going to. I thought Aaron Rodgers would make a decision by last Friday, but he's Aaron Rodgers. Maybe he waits. Maybe you wait until after the draft. And this is what I wondered with some of these teams. You're to get a quarterback, you might get a quarterback. If you don't get your quarterback, then things change a little bit. Then all of a sudden, maybe there's more people interested in Russell Wilson. Maybe there's more people interested in Kirk Cousins. Maybe he becomes more valuable in it as a trade possibility. There's always the chance that Aaron Rodgers just says I'm done and this came out. I'd love to give maybe it was dying in Racini. I'd love to give the credit to the person. But it felt like there is that option on the table, and that seems obvious at his age, what he went through with the Jets. But then we always come back to the phone, Well you don't want to go out this way. How do you think Aaron Rodgers is going to go out? Probably not on a high note unless he goes to the Vikings. You can't all be John Elway. And if you're going to go to the Giants, how do you think you're going to go out? This isn't Travis Kelsey who played in the suit. Hey, I want to come back? Okay Aaron Rodgers does he want to play? I don't know. Does he know? But if on the Steelers, I make you an offer and you don't want to come, we're the Steelers, then I say all right, we move on. Were the Vikings ever really interested in him? Was he more interested in them? Now? There are reports that he loves New York wants to stay in the New York area if he's going to play, whether that's true or not, but he would go from you know, one locker room to the other locker room in the same building, from the Jets to the Giants. But that's the updated news with Aaron Rodgers holding us all hostage. Not much longer though, right eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at danpatrick dot com Twitter handle a TP show. Watched basketball last night and I was curious just how good North Carolina was going to be. And this doesn't this doesn't prove really anything. I know. This is where Tarhill fans will say, oh, are you going to apologize today? No, for what I didn't think you deserve to be in the tournament. It's not the end of the world. It's okay. If you're really honest about your team, you probably would say you didn't deserve to be in the tournament.
Speaker 4: But you take it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Fine, you beat San Diego State, great, maybe you make a run. We've seen teams in the first four end up in the final four and you know they they're on a mission. Here Alabama State at the buzzer gets by Saint Francis Pennsylvania. Not a great couple of days for West Virginia basketball. West Virginia doesn't get in the tournament, thought they deserve to get in over North Carolina, and then, to make matters worse, they lost their basketball coach. He went to Indiana, Darien Devrie. I don't know if he would have gone to Indiana had West Virginia made the tournament. After they get bounced, you you eventually go to Indiana. I'm not sure. But Mike Woodson, who got Indiana to the doorstep of making the tournament got fired. Darien Devrees, who was kind of the I think the guy after the guy to clean up. Bob Huggins mess at West Virginia, but he goes from West Virginia. I don't know if the governor holds a press conference and has anything to say today about losing their basketball coach. Yeah, seen your Alma manor.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the big part was Bob Huggins. This is kind of the after I think Darren Derees he was, like you said, kind of the guy after the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know yeah, And now going to Indiana. Steve Alford never got a shot. Now Steve's at Nevada, And I thought that that was one of those that was always going to be inevitable, and then all of us sudden it wasn't.
Speaker 6: Yes, Marvin, looking back on history, don't you think that's a bad idea? You saw Patrick Ewing at Georgetown and Chris mall And at Saint John's at Penny. It's going okay for Penny Hardaway at Memphis. But isn't it tough to be the greatest player in the hit not one of the greatest players in the history of a program going back to be the head coach.
Speaker 2: Like Clyde Drexler at Houston. You can't hire somebody without the thought that you may have to fire them and with you know, Chris Mallin at Saint John's, Patrick Ewing at George like, these are your all timers, and of course it has to be awkward when you come back. You know, there's there's a Hall of Fame ceremony alumni weekend and yeah, you're introducing Chris Mallin or Patrick Ewing and everybody's thinking the same thing. The school fired them, yes, Martin.
Speaker 6: And it's hard because those two are easily the greatest players in the history of that program, so everyone's looking for them. Steve Alford, I'm not sure if he's the great I don't know much about Indiana BASKETAB. I don't know who the greatest player is that ever went there. But it's got to be difficult if you come back after getting fired.
Speaker 2: But this was a guy who played for Bob Knight. He's a local, he's an Indiana kid. You won a national title with him. I just and I think Dan Dakis, who played at Indiana Radio hostel join us tomorrow and I can ask him more about this. But it just felt like Steve Alford wasn't considered for that job. You know, he had Ucla at Iowa, Nevada. But Indiana now has West Virginia's head coach. All right, see what's poll question today?
Speaker 5: I was gonna go with most sure thing in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, by the way, a sure thing. The Dodgers won. They just beat the Cubs and get a load of Roki Sasaki. If you get a chance to watch him pitch. His first three pitches hundi, hondy, hundi, and then his next pitch was ninety nine. Then he had a splitter at eighty two. Sh he. It feels like he either strikes you out or walks you. But you want to talk about some electric stuff. They may not need Otani to pitch this year. Imagine if you're in the Nation League West and you're like, damn, we're already two games behind the Dodgers because nobody else has played except for the Dodgers in the Cubs, but they ended up winning Otani homward in the game. This is just business as usual. But Sisaki has I'm trying to think, who reminds me of Yeah, pony nuke lalush.
Speaker 7: Well a little nuke us three innings, one hit, one in run, five walks in three k.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but as far as man, he's got some stuff, but they ended up beating the Cubs, you know, and you get sometimes you'll get that Japanese player who might be twenty six or twenty seven each row. I think was twenty six twenty seven when he came over. Susaki's twenty three. But that's that pipeline. They spent the money, They outspent everybody for him, and they you know, their pitching staff was decimated last year with injuries. And I mean, you have Clayton Kershaw as a luxury. He could be he could be your pitching coach at thirty five million dollars a year. May not need him that much, but I don't think the offense is going to be as good. But they're still going to be the overwhelming favorite to win the World Series. In fact, according to DraftKings, the Dodgers are plus two to ninety the second favorite. The Braves are plus seven fifty, the Yankees plus eight to fifty. Then it's the Phillies, and then the Mets at plus twelve hundred.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paul, the bases where there's two men on for Otani and they intentionally walked Otani, not a good reaction from the local crowd.
Speaker 1: No, Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Sports Radio, diet and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 8: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out.
Speaker 8: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 9: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 4: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Always enjoy the give and Take with Robert Griffin Junior, the third former Heisman Trophy winner and is a great podcast out of pocket with RG three. You can check it out on YouTube wherever you get your podcasts. Oh there, he's got his Baylor Bears jersey on. You're ready to go? Did you play basketball in high school?
Speaker 10: Had to unmute there. Yes, I did play basketball in high school. I was actually recruited by Baylor, Kansas and Florida, and that was Florida coming off the national championship and so I know my basketball.
Speaker 2: Okay, did you think about playing for Baylor when you were there?
Speaker 4: Yes, it did, is a quick story.
Speaker 10: You know, coach Scott Drew, he's family to me, but he recruited me at high school. You know, I got to see him do that press conference, you know in the early two thousands when he took over the school right after the shooting that took place on the team and you know. He we talked and I told him I would play basketball for him my senior year of college.
Speaker 4: And Dan, I never made it to my senior year. I left early, so I didn't get I didn't let didn't lie.
Speaker 10: But you know, me and him stay in contact all the time. I used to go to the gym there at the Faral Center and play basketball at night and actually practice and play with the team. Had a couple of teammates that ended up playing basketball and football at the same time, Kendall Wright in Levon Norwood, So there was a pipeline there for sure, but I just never made it to my senior year.
Speaker 2: Better athlete basketball player or football player?
Speaker 10: Ooh, that's tough. Better athlete is certainly a football player.
Speaker 4: Yes, football players are better athletes. You know, you don't know why?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, go ahead, yeah, you know they'll talk about the skill. You know, you got Kevin Durant seven foot you know, can dribble, penetrate, drive, donk shoot threes, has all those skills. But for football players, I actually think offensive linemen are some of the most skilled athletes in the world. To be able to get in you know, sixty to seventy car you know, car crashes every single game. Have the footwork to pull around, pull outside, to go do a screen, also, anchor in and anchor down. When you've got a three hundred and fifty pounds defensive lineman trying to kill your quarterback, I think offensive linemen are a lot more athletic than people realize. Get Trent Williams on the basketball court, and you know you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Trent Williams is six'.
Speaker 2: Five who? Cares, yeah, yeah he's.
Speaker 10: Small he's six, five three hundred and thirty forty.
Speaker 2: Pounds do you think THE nba would be afraid Of Trent williams on the basketball?
Speaker 10: Floor, no, no, NO i don't think they would be afraid of. HIM i just think that when you think six' five IN the nba or as a, basketball player it's like six' five. Two oh, Five you know i'm talking about a guy, that's six five three hundred and fifty pounds and can go out there and compete with the basketball players who weigh over.
Speaker 4: One hundred and fifty pounds less.
Speaker 2: Than, he does okay we always. Talk about this so if GUYS, in the nba how would they be as Football. Players like lebron lebron could be tight end all pro. Tight, End, type.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah it.
Speaker 10: Would take time it just depends on what you're. Asking, to Do dan and i've had The best coaches i've. Ever been around is that you take a guy and you put them in a position.
Speaker 7: To.
Speaker 10: Be SUCCESSFUL right If, I get lebron i'm not Trying to teach lebron how to block down on. The defensive end if he's, Playing tight end i'm, flexing him out going, one on one throwing them jump balls. All, Day long okay so it just depends on what you're asking. Them TO do but i do. THINK it's easier i think it's easier for a football player to GO into the nba and actually, play productive, minutes you know maybe score five points than it IS for an nba player to COME into the nfl and truly play the position like it's supposed.
Speaker 3: To.
Speaker 2: Be PLAYING yeah but i got two guys who played tight END in the nfl Who were A hall of famers who were marginal basketball, Players In college antonio Gates And.
Speaker 4: In, TONY gunchallenge yeah i don't think they would like you call them the. Marginal basketball players.
Speaker 2: But it, did take them and it. Took them time they're a whole of FAMERS, in the nfl but it took them time to make the transition. Over into football You Look at jimmy. Graham as Well over at miami had a number Of players from baylor that played basketball that ended up coming over and playing football and playing at it at.
Speaker 10: A high level it's not that you can't. Get it done i'm just saying it's it's a lot easier to go have an impact immediately football to basketball than it is. Basketball to football not to rag on, our guy here but Go Look at draymond Green's Highlights. From, MICHIGAN state Okay, i love, draymond you know but.
Speaker 4: Look at this you Know exactly what. I'm talking about it's very tough to make that.
Speaker 10: Transition LIKE that But I know kean, Coleman Right, now JOSH gordon who i Played with at baylor And Was an all pro wide Receiver For. The CLEVELAND browns if i took them today and put THEM on an, nba basketball court they would have they would be able to, have productive minutes more so THAN taking an nba player straight off the court and throw THEM on.
Speaker 4: The nfl Field how would? Shaq have done, oh, my god well What position?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 4: Shack playing, OKAY oh YEAH i mean i mean a seven to? Two nose tackle what's the what's the?
Speaker 10: Saying in Football dan, low man wins that's the that's the issue with getting the taller guys and saying they're gonna. PLAY nose tackle I actually think I would Take Shack the orlando magic shack first Couple Of. Years, lakers SHACK yeah and i would put him at tight end Because because that. Shack was athletic. SEVEN to, two i, mean come on who wants who doesn't want to throw a seam route to a Seven foot two shaquille O'Neil running.
Speaker 4: Down the field who would have been a?
Speaker 2: Better Football player Michael Jordan. OR kobe.
Speaker 10: Oh I think michael jordan would have been a. BETTER football player i think he would have been a. BETTER football player i think his. Tenacity is unmatched and we have these gold conversations, all the, Time You Know. KOBE jordan lebron i Just think that jordan's mindset and his approach to the game would have translated to any sport and any any kind of proved that to us by going.
Speaker 4: To PLAYING baseball.
Speaker 2: He's rg Three out. Of pocket podcast you can find it on YouTube wherever you. Get, your podcast sorry, the News today the vikings Aren't Interested. In, aaron.
Speaker 4: Rodgers okay okay do you think?
Speaker 2: They were interested and why? Aren't They interested.
Speaker 4: H that is.
Speaker 10: A great question i think if, they weren't interested they would have came out, immediately, and said hey we. Have NO interests so i do think. They molded OVER the reason i don't think they're interested is because of THEIR belief. In jj McCarthy you know that they must have seen something in his rehab to let them know he'll be ready to. Start the, SEASON YOU, know i jj coming off of the preseason and the, offseason last year was going to be the starter, in My Opinion over sam donald before. He got HURT so when i look at it, FROM that standpoint i think what WE saw from Jj McCarthy at michigan is nothing compared to what we're going TO see from jj McCarthy when it comes to Him playing for kevin O'Connell And. The minnesota vikings the weapons, that they have the structure, that they have they're ready to. Win right now and if they're Picking Him. Over aaron rodgers that tells you a lot about what they've seen day in and day out.
Speaker 4: In that building i'm.
Speaker 10: Excited for the young man because he, is SUPER talented and I don't think michigan tapped into even seventy percent of what.
Speaker 4: His potential is What are? THE steelers doing i, Have no idea But.
Speaker 2: You're the steelers why don't You Say to aaron rodgers you want? To join us tell us now at the end, of business Day. We're the steelers we're. Not waiting around and Now They got mason rudolph and.
Speaker 10: And what exactly so here's how my Take on, the steelers was as soon as they Traded, for dk metcalf they should have went Ahead And. SIGNED Russell wilson dk metcalf had his Best Seasons with russell wilson as. A starting quarterback you trade, for this guy you pay thirty plus million, dollars a year and he's gonna be the Cornerstone Along, with george pickens who had a massive influx. In His Production once russell wilson became The Starter, OVER justin fields i just felt like that if you're, gonna do it and you put it Out There. To, AARON rodgers HEY i think I Even, saw cam, hayward you know was talking about it if they asked him would go on a darkness retreat if it Was Gonna get aaron rodgers to come in And Be, a pittsburgh steeler and, his Answer, Was.
Speaker 3: Hell na i'm.
Speaker 10: Not doing that if you want To Be, a pittsburgh steeler then you want To Be. A PITTSBURGH steeler so i really just look At This as aaron rodgers maybe serving the, landscape, and SAYING man maybe i really wanted to Play for THE vikings because i think they can. Win right, now you know won a bunch of. GAMES last year i don't want to Play for the giants because it's going to be a coach on, the HOT seat a gm on, The hot seat and IT'S just do i really want to go be a part of another rebuild or not rebuild and be the center Focus There in new york and Then with the stealers is just a matter of does he want to Go? Play IN pittsburgh and, I don't know I Can't read, aaron RODGERS' mind but i, WILL say this i think the guy's earned the right to take however long he wants to make, any decision possible and our job as analysts and and people in the media isn't to try and isn't to just put out articles or make statements trashing the guy because he's taking his time Making.
Speaker 2: All the yeah, i'm just yes you take your time if. YOU want To i think pittsburgh's got too many bigger personalities that that's. A different environment You're Going into mike tomlin's place and YOU. Got t j watt And mink Of Fitzpatrick and cam. Hay like that that's a different field than Going, into the jets where he'd be on scholarship to do whatever he. Wanted, to do, Steelers you know mike's. No nonsense there, BUT you Know I think aaron rodgers, may just say, You know what.
Speaker 11: I'm.
Speaker 10: GONNA retire yeah i actually had put it out earlier in THE offseason that i Thought it was, minnesota or RETIRE just because I felt like minnesota was. Ready, to win now, top ten Defense You, got JUSTIN. Jefferson, t j hockinson They Just. Resigned aaron jones what's the other RECEIVER there from usc? That They, Have jordan addison like you've got two number, one wide receivers a number, one tied end a three Down Back, in aaron jones a, great offensive line like.
Speaker 4: That's READY made, and, i, thought like listen are we in?
Speaker 10: The twilight zone like are We REPEATING the Brett Farvarki.
Speaker 4: For AARON rodgers so i thought.
Speaker 10: It was that or retire and he may decide to continue to. Play or whatever but when it Comes, TO the steelers i think it's all changed now once YOU Bring, in dk metcalf because you're showing any, quarterback, out there hey we're gonna put the, resources around you we're gonna build, The offensive line we're. Ready to roll and if he doesn't say, yes TO that then i just don't think he.
Speaker 4: WANTS to play i.
Speaker 2: Know You Tweeted out joe burrow stepping up for, his wide Receivers wanting T Higgins and jamar chase. To GET paid and i wondered if this Was Potentially a carson palmer situation WHERE it's like i don't want, to be, here you know And you, know, Carson decided hey. I'LL sit out i don't. Want TO play and i wonder, if they, said all right let's Take Care of joe burrow by taking care of. These two guys but correct as, a winning Philosophy did the bengals make? The, RIGHT decision.
Speaker 4: Yes i.
Speaker 10: BELIEVE they did I believe the bengals gave themselves the best chance To Win a super bowl in the next four Years By Signing Jamar. Chase, anti HIGGINS now if i could be critical, FOR a second i would have.
Speaker 4: Done it, earlier, oh yeah right if you.
Speaker 10: Do IT earlier and i don't mean earlier, IN the offseason i mean like a, few years ago they don't. COST as much i believe someone it's. OUT there that i mean the Numbers supported the Eagles got Aj Brown and devonte smith for a hundred million dollars Less than the bengals Ended Up getting JAMAR Chase. And t higgins that to me is the only critical. Part of it but when it comes to, As A quarterback joe burrow standing, on, business saying hey you gotta sign my, GUYS or else i think that was a Message to, the bengals, like all right we just can't. Be cheap here yes we need to put a stronger offensive line In Front. Of joe burrow yes we need to get our defense to become a top ten top. Fifteen defense again but when we Went To, the super bowl who are Two Leading RECEIVERS Jamar. Chasing t higgins how Many Times did joe burrow get sacked in twenty twenty one in the regular season fifty one times throughout the regular season and. Postseason seventy times he got sacked nine Times Against the tennessee Titans in the divisional round. OF the playoffs i remember Tweeting out, that i'm like they this guy's against these out there getting sacked nine times and they're. Still winning games they got sacked seven Times In the super Bowl, against THE rams so i know everyone is like moving. The goalpost now because They Didn't think Mike brown the bengals.
Speaker 4: Would pay, all, three guys.
Speaker 10: Well they did they understand that making their quarterback happy is the best thing. For their team it shows that he has his teammates back in. The locker room and, let's be real Who Wouldn't want JAMAR Chase and t higgins as there won two punch in. That receiver room they can find offensive linemen that maybe hold on for dear life for two and, a half seconds you can't Find Guys like Jamar Chase and te.
Speaker 2: Higgins every day explain to me how all Of A sudden jackson dart is up in. The, Top Ten yeah shador sanders had felt like there WAS a campaign i called a smear campaign, that You, know cam ward it feels. Like he's untouchable he's going to be the. Number one pick nobody's. Saying anything negative But Here. Comes jackson dart According, to mol kuiper now You Still has shadoor sanders number three Going. To, the giants Uh You got jackson dart maybe Going. To new ark how does that happen when nobody's played any football for a. Couple of months you maybe have, Had some workouts but tell me how somebody rises or all of a sudden the.
Speaker 10: Negatives, COME out Yeah i mean i've had many conversations With, WITH The Ravens.
Speaker 4: Gm eric DaCosta i'm more than sure.
Speaker 10: He's not fine he's, not you know not has done that a problem with me sharing that and, he you know, we talked, about you know scouting and how this, whole process, goes you know. Throughout the, offseason so yeah coming, In, it was hey it's It's Camboard, to shadeer, sanders who's one, Who's two oh kim sits out the second half of. The ball game they tried to smear, him, for that right but.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 10: Didn't work shador he's in the middle of of, his you know quote unquote smear, campaign right now and, he's you, know staying strong, getting out there doing, all the workouts doing, all the meetings having.
Speaker 4: A great job but.
Speaker 10: When you watch, JACKSON dark play i Called many a. JACKSON darts games i think two games of his In College. At ole miss you.
Speaker 4: Know he can make.
Speaker 10: Every single throw he has the athleticism that you need in today's game to to be a true. Duel THREAT quarterback and i think it's it's.
Speaker 4: Those two things you, watch the tape you see.
Speaker 10: How he played you saw you see Him Out dual Jayden Daniels when jayden DANIELS was at lsu and They Played. AGAINST ole miss i believe that was, twenty twenty three and you you.
Speaker 2: Just gravitate towards. The kid's, moxie you know you believe he's a. TOP ten, pick i, mean, come on man but why wasn't he a? Top ten pick until, you're killing.
Speaker 4: Me he's a top ten pick because we.
Speaker 10: Always, overdraft quarterbacks okay the quarterback position is one that, is needed more maybe not more than than.
Speaker 2: Left tackles and Right tackles or sanders a, TOP ten, PICK i.
Speaker 4: DO i do i. Believe he, is, YOU.
Speaker 10: Know listen ej manuel wasn't a, top TEN Pick but j manuels the.
Speaker 4: First round quarterback if you're.
Speaker 10: Talking about just, body of work Look At what, jackson dart Did Led led ole miss to back to back, ten win seasons first eleven game win season, in School History broke eli manning's.
Speaker 4: Passing, YARDS record well i think he's a legitimate.
Speaker 2: FIRST round talent i just all of a sudden he's up in, the TOP ten and i always wonder like he hadn't. Played, any football yeah.
Speaker 10: It's the, TAPE it's like i don't, Know, about you DAN but like i. LOVE the combine i think the. COMBINE is fun i love watching guys run super fast and jump really high and.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean. Anything to.
Speaker 10: Eat i'm talking i'm giving your first hand knowledge that you've been in the business. All the time i'm talking, to these guys and it's like the combine doesn't do.
Speaker 4: Much for them the tape.
Speaker 10: And When you watch, jackson dark, play YOU know really i look. At the draft the draft is just A how do i say this, the right way it's a it's, a popularity contest and like you're trying to. Increase your value so if your TAPE is an a plus and you go to the combine and YOU have an, a plus performance you're gonna be. A top pick but if your TAPE is an a plus and you go to the combine you drop a f you might drop a little bit because you're. Not AS coveted so I Just think jackson dark's tape is what's making, the, scouts say hey this this young man can. Play as well AND that's why I Also think jalen norro might get drafted a little bit higher. Than people anticipate i'm not, saying FIRST round but i think he'll get drafted.
Speaker 4: Higher because of his.
Speaker 10: Elite skill trade he does remind me a lot with his skill Trade Of. A jalen hurts i don't know if he'll be a, second round pick but he does some things that you just can't teach at, the quarterback position and then it's on the COACHES in the nfl to get him to.
Speaker 4: His maximum potential.
Speaker 2: Always great to talk to you the podcast Is out OF pocket with rg three on YouTube wherever you. Get your podcast good Luck To. Your baylor, bears, APPRECIATE You, Brother vj, Edge come home.
Speaker 1: Come on baby be sure to catch the Live Edition Of The dan patrick show weekdays At nine am Eastern six Am Pacific On fox sports Radio and. The iHeartRadio App.
Speaker 2: Is jim beheim He's the former syracuse head coach won a national title in two. Thousand and three i'm just wondering how many over, your basketball career how many teams do you think changed basketball with their? Style to?
Speaker 4: Play what kind?
Speaker 11: What is this this is like. A hard, QUESTION i know. I. DON'T know jeez i was, going To Say like jamar chase with like any city he's getting, paid fifty million f. WHATEVER it, is i mean you Could.
Speaker 2: Live, In syracuse yeah.
Speaker 11: God's. Place, on earth.
Speaker 2: Okay but how many teams? Change? College, festival, Okay, first okay.
Speaker 11: Cauld you get rid of some of these things in. Front of you? What is this are you selling these things or? What the?
Speaker 2: BOTTLES people like I have, Friends i have you're not. USED to this i have friends who send me, stuff, and so yeah.
Speaker 11: They send you ugly stuff and then you. PUT them, There i mean i'll send. You, something nice jeez what?
Speaker 4: Do you what what would?
Speaker 11: You send me i'll send you one of MY little bracelets. I just got i'll send you one of. These or, something but anyway changing? What teams changing what?
Speaker 4: Change THE Teams?
Speaker 2: Like unlv georgetown did they change basketball.
Speaker 4: With their?
Speaker 2: Style of play, loyal and, merrymout come on you should know.
Speaker 11: All Of this paul west was unique and he played, coach that way and he coached that way the women's, and won championships Championship. For the lakers he won a championship in THE W. N b a people. Don't know that it's a. Little known fact but all you do is run and it really, DIDN'T work overall, i don't think but it was. Unique To him john thompson had A, style, at. Georgetown physical tough they haven't been so good since. He left there, Uh you know louis had A Style at saint john's half, court play defense and he won more games than anybody there until this new. Guy's, There, now uh, PATINA you know i recruit, on a honeymoon but he's gonna. Whole different style all coaches have. A Different style bobby knight had. A Style one dean smith had a, more multiple style. More Different things roy williams. Coached Like that but rick has a certain, way OF playing and i thought it would take him a year to two to get. To the tournament and he did it as he did, in six schools, six different schools losing records, AT six schools ncaa tournament by, the second year and championships. And final fours he's probably the best coach of getting the most out of players in the. History of basketball he can take anybody and get. Them to play louisvian won national championship with guys that, know not nobody but very few guys. Recruited his players The Guys at saint john's not a lot of known players and. Guys that struggles. Shooting Doesn't matter rick. Patino can coach he'll be coaching WHEN you and. I are. Retired you're, not I'm retired BUT i'm still i don't call doing. Media stuff working.
Speaker 2: It's just no you don't. Call, this work no.
Speaker 11: This isn't work i'm disappointed. ABOUT my brackets I don't think i'm going to win the. BRACKET this year i just couldn't get a good. Feel for, it in FACT last night i didn't. Even realize That. I'LL remember state i was Almost Pulling, for saint FRANCIS and then i woke UP and Realized. I had elephant did you do?
Speaker 2: You want? It last year didn't?
Speaker 11: You KILLED over but I Picked N c. STATE i had i knew they were going. TO do that i Kind Of. Picked north Carolina that's why I'm Wearing my north. CAROLINA colors Here I picked north carolina to go away in the. TOURNAMENT this year i think it's, a CHALK tournament But I think north carolina is a, lot better teams and everybody in the country says they. Shouldn't be in they Look at one metric one twelve. In the quad they didn't look at the fact that they're ahead of the bubble teams and ahead of the last four teams in the Overall Combined Metrics ken palm net all those they're. At thirty seven those other schools are. Forty Forty One so north carolina is nine and two the. Last eleven games who do? THEY lose to i picked for.
Speaker 4: The name championship oh you GOT winning all i got To.
Speaker 11: Their defense malawatch is one of the best Big defensive centers i've seen in. A long time in. A long time he goes back To The like patrick ewing. Type defensive centers people probably. DON'T remember him i, CAN'T get more i get. Something more modern, But You Know khan can nipple's. Tremendous shooting guard. Tremendous shooting guard The kid from tulane transferred in, as really good. A physical man proctor. Is really good and they got the best player. In the country you can, argue about whatever he's. The best player he's the best all Round player that I've Seen. Since Grant hill grant hill is the only guy, that block, shots played, defense made shots, rebounded and passed and he won a couple. OF national championships i think.
Speaker 4: It's always what?
Speaker 2: Could have, BEEN you know I Look, at grant hill what? Could have been because before he had all those, injuries and surgeries, and you know he was.
Speaker 4: He was special he'd.
Speaker 11: Have been one of the top five to ten players, of all time no. Doubt about it They'll, never catch michael But they're all there's so. Many great players YOU. Watch the nba people, can knock it But To watch steph curry plays. Is a Privilege.
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 2: You, River, jordan.
Speaker 11: No, no you know he was, kind OF unknown but i mean people, kind of knew but He was from you Don't Go into north carolina Recruited Kids that north carolina. Wants to Get What?
Speaker 2: About patrick hewing.
Speaker 11: We were one of the twenty eight schools that visited him And, is in boston and you almost knew he Was, going to georgetown, but you, tried you. Know you tried you know it was, but it, was you know he was going To. Go to Georgetown it's, like alonzo morning he wanted, to visit here so we brought him in because he wanted to visit because His Friends, with billy owens you want. To COME up, So, i, said alonzo now let's just get this out. Of the way like, THE first, day i said let's get this out of the way so we don't have to talk for two. Or three days you Ever? Go to georgetown?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: He? Left? Yeah yeah probably why Did you hate? Georgetown so?
Speaker 11: MUCH you KNOW i never. I really didn't it was such an intense rivalry and The fans hated They really HATED john and i at first. Really bumped heads IT was, so i mean it was such a big game and it's so. Much on it but after, a few years it took, a few years it kind of mellowed a little and mellowed and. We became friends and the rivalry wasn't. What it was but there was Nothing Like the, BIG east then i. MEAN it was I. Love the acc it's. A great league it's down more than it's ever been down right now because they don't understand. About paying athletes they understand that in some of, these other leagues they've been doing, it a while but they. Have to pay you have. To pay athletes But The, old big east you, played everybody twice nine schools, to start. Out fierce, Rivalries you know rick was Talking, about this patino you know he's, In the lead luke, On A, Second Jim, Calhoun John. Thompson rowley, MASSIMINO you know i think. He mentioned me. I'M not SURE i think, I was. Sixth jim behind, But You know paul evans, was great Coach. WAS at pittsburgh pj who was, a great Talker Was at seaton hall and a. Great coach too it was. A different league, and you Know and when Jay, came to villanova a kid j. All the time. You never won when, we were there but he went a. Lot after that so it was a great league and we had. A fierce, rivalry no, lie no nothing no. Question about it thirty four thousand people came in Here To See big john thompson and the game he. Got thrown out he was so happy he was just, waving to everybody, and you know thirty four thousand people were. On their feet it was a GREAT spectacle and i enjoyed being. Part of it it was just one. Of A Kind and rick patino's. Keeping it going he knows.
Speaker 2: How To Coach He's jim Beheim. Hall, of famer, WELL you know i Tried To. Explain rick pattino, it feels, like you know when He was At Providence and billy donovan is playing and, he had guards they were shooting three like he was ahead of his. Time, with that yeah.
Speaker 11: Well he was ahead of his time in. Terms of practicing they worked out. In the, morning you know they'd come back for individual instruction during the day and, then they'd practice and then they would do study table and then they would shoot foul. Shots at Night. Well it's saturdays they'd, practiced morning Afternoon. Maybe night sunday you can't. DO that today, i mean theoretical.
Speaker 2: Not supposed to but. It was.
Speaker 11: Intense the, coaches worked, out he pushed and. He still pushed he demands everything. From his players his three hour practice is as intense as anybody's ever and he does all phases, of the game and he. Understands the game he sees the game better THAN anybody that i know in terms of coaching twenty four, hours a day and he's still probably ran on the limits of.
Speaker 2: The hours practice let's not get. In, trouble, here, no.
Speaker 11: No no he's. Unfound THE rules, but i mean.
Speaker 2: But do you put him up THERE? With coach k do you put him Up There? With, John Wooden well john.
Speaker 11: Winn's by himself he, want to eleven forget that. He's BY himself coach k is the best coaching. Moutern erab, basketball you know there's no Question About. Underrated jim calhoun media people, didn't like him so they don't. Talk about. Him Very Underrated coach danny hurley is an up and coming guy. In that category but for a guy to, take any team any players The Furthest, it's rick, patina no doubt, in.
Speaker 2: My Mind where's still jackson?
Speaker 11: In that WELL he's. AN nba coach i usually don't REALLY talk. About nba coach, he's you, know it's him, read our Back. You know popovich THOSE are, the nba coaches, and, everybody says well he. Had great players nobody ever want anything without. A great, player you know if you, win a championship in most CASES, in the nba you have. A great Player, you had Jack you Had Kobe and jordan duncan you know name the team that won they had a great. Player or two do.
Speaker 2: You Worry about danny hurley, Being, That, Intense.
Speaker 11: No no his father was like that and, he's still alive.
Speaker 2: But he was doing. High School basketball.
Speaker 11: Bob hurley was More Intense. Than danny, hurley he coached he took he was. A probation offer he took two weeks of vacation and coached summer camp all day long during summer camp and at night. During the summer he coached at. Night Every night so danny's. Like his father he's, A little crazier.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: A.
Speaker 11: Little bit more i'm glad he didn't GO. IN the nba i don't think it. Would to work but he's a. Great college, coach you know, when you lose. You go crazy that's. What we do. He just goes he's always. Been like that he didn't do it the last two years because he had. A great team you don't have to go crazy when you. Have great teams but, when you're losing you tend to look at everything as an. Insult to you and.
Speaker 2: How many times did you get thrown out?
Speaker 11: OF a game i only got thrown out of, one exhibition game and it was It. Was in SYRACUSETON it was i was yelling at one guy and the other guy. Threw me out? What the heck it was.
Speaker 2: An, exhibition game.
Speaker 11: Yeah exhibition game, It WAS crazy. BUT i got. I never got. I don't got the LAST twenty. YEARS i coased i got maybe. Ten twelve technicals maybe they don't.
Speaker 4: Do any good how many times do you do?
Speaker 9: It?
Speaker 4: On, purpose though well.
Speaker 11: Most, of them yeah they don't do any good and it doesn't help you. With the referees they don't do they.
Speaker 2: HOLD a grudge i.
Speaker 11: DON'T think so i think most officials you're on them. A little bit. It's human nature if you're not on, them at all they probably think. They're helping you so you've got to.
Speaker 4: Be on it.
Speaker 11: You know they go why? Is it they and you can't. Tell me That Guys, Like John, thompson dean smith, they influenced, referees trust me not all but a.
Speaker 2: Lot of them thanks for filling out a bracket and Good luck. To carolina there my best of the family is.
Speaker 11: Always as always thank you and send.
Speaker 4: Me some send, me some stuff, send me something send you something. Better than that send.
Speaker 2: ME some, GEAR i mean, i don't know.
Speaker 4: SEND me something i don't.
Speaker 11: Have gear anymore.
Speaker 2: I'LL bet YOU espn gear i can.
Speaker 4: Send you, that, Thank you.
Speaker 11: Coach Thank You.
Speaker 2: That's jim beheim