Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 3: These episodes are based on These are our stories done.
Speaker 4: Done, Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 3: An sv podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Lisa Traeger, I'm Kara Klank and we do SVU recabs, true crime, deep dives, conversations with interesting people, actors, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And first, boy, do I have a story for you? Do you do?
Speaker 2: You're gonna like it? So I go to see Kat Cohen's show, Oh yeah, broad Strokes. I'm a huge fan of hers and a friend and I can't wait. So I'm really excited and obviously a textra like can I say hi? After she goes wait in the house, like, and I'll come out to say hi. So I and you know, me at live performances and I need everyone on their best behavior. So I go alone and the people in front of me won't stop talking, like they're annoying because it's like, you know, you can laugh, you don't have to look at the person next to you before you laugh. But that's a low you know, like whatever, But they're like I would say every two minutes, saying something, whispering to each other, leaning over. They're obviously a little sauce. They just keep talking. So twice politely, I go, can you please stop talking?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 2: I go again, can you please stop talking? Nothing? I am getting more and more enraged. They are not stopping. It is constant, because I also understand, like a story hits and you're like, oh my god, or that was lovely, Like I'm not like, I'm not a psychopath, but it was like consistent little chatters, over and over and over and leaning and moving. I get the usher. The usher then tells them to stop talking. While he's telling them to stop talking, the other two are having full comes. Finally, I go, stop talking, and this woman turns around and goes, what the fuck is your problem? What do you want? I go, I need you to shut the fuck up. Stop talking. They barely do. Next thing, you know, it is Kat's Anton cousins and we are the only ones left in the house.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, we just interviewed somebody like ten minutes ago who told us a story where I went and like put my hands over my mouth and I just did the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh my, and I actually, why are you talking at your at your niece's like that? Well, I do get it a little because they relate.
Speaker 3: You know, she mentions their mom.
Speaker 2: You know, she mentions like they know her, So I understand that they like have a deeper knowledge of her life, the songs, the story.
Speaker 3: And what happened.
Speaker 2: But then she turned around to yell at me. That's when it hit me. I go, oh my god, they're related. I go, this is her family. I go, this is her fucking family.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 2: I go, I bet we're gonna be all meetings. So then I don't move, and neither do they. So then I sit somewhere else. The stage manager, who like told him to be quiet, comes over. He goes, well, this is awkward. I go, honey, don't I know it? I go, you know that's her family. He goes, oh yeah, he goes. And so then Kat comes out with her like nebulizer thing because her vocals are incredible in the show, and I would say I've never seen a one person show with such incredible like set design, props, the band, the lighting is unreal, Like she sounds incredible.
Speaker 3: Isn't Lane?
Speaker 2: No, it's at the Lucille Lortel Lucille Hotel Nice yeaeah. So it's it's a huge space and she's doing it till September twenty fifth, but like an incredible show. But so then she comes out and like they go to Hugger and I'm standing a little further back and she's like, come here, it's my family. I go, you come here, and she's she's like, I've never seen you so demure, Like what's going on? I go, it got volatile between me and your family. She starts laughing. She goes, what I go. I yelled at them to stop talking multiple times. I'm like I can't really go over there, and they actually don't give a fuck. And then but she said, she goes, I'm not surprised. She goes, I'm not surprised at all.
Speaker 3: And then she.
Speaker 2: Texts me later she's like, you have to tell me what happened. They are so loud, like they never shut up. So like she did, like that's what it's her face. But I'll see them at the wedding, so that'll be nice. Like crazy, oh my god, truly were the only ones left in there, Like it was me and like the four of them.
Speaker 1: It's just like, okay, like I get that you know this person, and I'm sure the little stories are making you go, oh, I remember that look at each other with a little look tap each other. You don't have to like have a convo about everything because you are affecting how other people are experiencing.
Speaker 2: But it is my curse. It is my curse. I'm always near the worst behaved people. I had to tell people behind me multiple times during my last visit at Oh Mary to stop talking, like I really don't understand, and I had a whole I'm gonna be like, have you never gone to the theat or like in my head, it's like the lights are on one person and you listen to them and then you talk about it after or if something crazy or something.
Speaker 3: But it's also an hour show like how much do you have to talk? But no.
Speaker 2: Once I like yelled at them a few times and I could tell they kept talking. I was like, oh my god, I bet it's their family. I'm like, it's her fucking family. I'm like, we're gonna be the only ones left in the house.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 2: So it was definitely like I have to stop interacting with people.
Speaker 3: I have to leave.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do, but I definitely can't be fighting people's family. And I was texting or being like I'm humiliated. She's like, you don't have to be. It's pretty funny. I go, well, I just like fought your family at your show, Like this sucks for me.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe it was like just wait in the house and it was just you and these people.
Speaker 3: That's fucking great. That's cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I wouldn't say it's limited to live performances. You don't like it when people do it at movies or.
Speaker 3: I'm very strict, and that's why I go alone.
Speaker 2: And that's why I don't go with people, because everyone bothers me. I mean, Jared just looks at his phone Jered Gold see, and I can't be out.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't. He'll just check it something because he saw the audist. See.
Speaker 2: I go, yeah, I can't. I wish I could enjoy things with you, and he goes, oh, yeah, I checked my phone a lot, and I'm like, yeah, I cannot deal. That's why I go alone. I go it off hours so then if someone bothers me, I can even move to a different seat, Like I don't want to ruin other people's times. I want people to enjoy themselves too. And I'm also understand like if we're all going to a midnight movie or we're going to a horror movie and we're screaming like a Mortal Kombat, I'm acting different than I am certain other movies. Yeah, but like I just and I don't know if it's because I'm a performer too. I just don't understand. Because it's also like, who knows if they spent money or not. They're obviously rich, but in my head, it's like going to a comedy shore or something ends up costing one hundred plus dollars. You know you're buying the ticket, there's usually a drink minimum. Who knows if you had to buy a babysitter, pay for parking. So in my head, like you think you're just talking in the audience, but there's people next to you that could have driven past state lines. They've been waiting for this, they bought tickets five months in advance.
Speaker 1: Like not only but courtesy is contagious, and so is rudeness. I think if people hear you talking, they think they can talk and then.
Speaker 3: It's like, then we're ruining the whole fucking thing.
Speaker 2: So I'm I think I'm extra sensitive to it. But do you remember when we went to see the screening of Fire Island?
Speaker 3: And yes, that's exactly what I thought of the second this started.
Speaker 2: But then when I told them to stop talking, like how much better the experience became immediately, Like I should have yelled at them earlier. But I do feel self conscious because it's like that in the Fire Island screening, I was like, this is a gay movie. I've never even been to Fire Island like that. Let these boys enjoy their movie like this is I'm a guest in their space.
Speaker 3: Like that's how I kept yeah, And then finally I had to go.
Speaker 2: Are you really not gonna stop for one fucking second? Like it's the fucking emotional crux of the movie. Can you not let Bowen and Joel have a fucking heart to heart for one fucking silent moment?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I can't.
Speaker 2: Same with Casey Muskroves concert, like I yelled at these people because it's like this isn't allowed. I just I had these Kcy musk Greaves tickets.
Speaker 3: For like ten months.
Speaker 2: They're two hundred plus dollars, like, I don't know, it drives me insane, so I obviously am too extra strict about it. I felt very seen at Caleb's podcast because Matteo like I would never go to the movies with him, you know, like he taught he likes to chat. Marie likes to chat, like they're chatters. And so Matteo is telling Caleb on the pod like, oh, I want to show you my favorite movie, my best friend's wedding, But how do you watch movies? Like we like to make jokes and talk, And Caleb went, I am very strict, and I expect obedience and like discipline and like shut your mouth. And I felt very seen in that moment because it's not like fun but I, I don't know, it's obvious I'm the problem. It's me, I thought her. Yeah, like I can't, I can't really walk away from this experience feeling great, you know right, that is so freaking funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, Jared.
Speaker 1: Jared had to stop going to He goes to double features at the New Beverly all the time, which is, you know, Quentin Tarantino's theater. It's like very movie people go there and it's like you do not look at your phone, and his friend just kept whipping out his phone and he was like stop coming with me, like stop coming, and so he's like stopped. Like this guy would not he would not like respond his invitations to go anymore.
Speaker 2: No, and we were gonna like I was too tired, you know, I've been traveling so much. But like I went to dinner Estuday with some friends and we were gonna maybe try to go to a movie, but it was a movie with do Alipa's husband.
Speaker 3: I don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: Check your phone, like you know what I mean, Like, there are you know, wait, is it.
Speaker 3: The one where people can only have sex for one day out of the year. It's called one night only? Yeah, one night Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because when he came on, that promo came on during an odyssey, and I was like, what is this show? Like they're all talking about how they need to fuck that night, but nobody says at the beginning of the promo, maybe I missed it. Well, you know, this is the only night of the year we can fuck, right, Like, so I don't know what's going on in the promo, but everyone's dressed up looking to fuck and I'm like, is it New Year's but it's sunny in New York City?
Speaker 3: Like what where are we in a fictional city? Where are we? Like? I was so.
Speaker 1: Confused, and then I go, oh, this is do Alipa's new husband to Jared who doesn't care, and then jaya.
Speaker 2: A Lipa is an avid reader, he should care. She created a library with all bands books. She has a book podcast that she interviews authors and like a lot of I'm not deep that deep in, but they say that like she's one of the few people that actually like fully reads the books. And and then I saw an Instagram story from someone that didn't know she was a pop star and only knew her from the book stuff.
Speaker 3: So then someone mentioned her image and it goes, oh, you.
Speaker 2: Love the book podcast, and they're like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And then he learned that she's like the biggest pops.
Speaker 1: To your favorite podcaster is just like popping and walking in Brazil like to a sold out stadium.
Speaker 2: No, so I think maybe Jared might get into do Alipa. She's a really apple reader.
Speaker 1: I had to look up one night only later to find out that that's the premise is that there's like only one night of sex or whatever. I don't I'll catch that one on a plane. But I exactly.
Speaker 2: But that's why I was like, oh, I'll go with friends and talk like I am a fun person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I just I did see Odyssey and then I really liked it. And then I read that review that you sent me of the woman who did the translation of the Odyssey. She didn't like it, but I was like, I feel like I was not looking for a like text perfect following of the Odyssey. I knew I was going to see at Christopher Nolan movie, so what I got was entertaining, you know, But like she was like, one of the funniest things in the Odyssey is this part they didn't even include it?
Speaker 3: What about?
Speaker 1: And like why didn't they show any gods. I'm kind of like, I don't know the way Christopher Nolan's going to show gods. It's going to be really like weird, I feel like, or over the top. And I kind of liked the way that it was. But she had some points. But some of her points I thought were deeply you are a scholar of the Odyssey and really well, I think.
Speaker 2: It's also because he like if he just did the movie, I don't think it'd be I think I don't think she would have written that or cared. But he kept kind of talking about how it's her adaptation. He followed to it, that's what it is, like she he just kept being like Emily Wilson, Emily Wilson, this is the one, this is the one. Like an interviews, he kept addressing her book, and I think if he didn't do that, or maybe only at once, she wouldn't have cared. But because she's also getting all this vitrial from like the in cells and stuff of like this dumb bitch and connected to this movie that she didn't really like, like I think I think her being like, hey, he didn't actually use my book, okay, and there should have been more fucking and good looking food. Like so she is a dork though obviously, like I saw her speaking in ancient Greek at like an interview like these Greek.
Speaker 1: She has interesting points too, though, but some of the points I was like, like, at one point she was like, so it's bad to murder people when the Trope, when the Greeks do it to the Trojans, but it's not bad when like Matthew when when when I'm sorry, Odysseus like murder like murders all these suitors and sorry that's a spoiler, but like, uh, that's the Odyssey.
Speaker 3: You read it in ninth grade, so oh my god.
Speaker 2: My friend was telling me there's people online me like, shut up and stop pretending you read this in high school, and I'm like, I read it in sixth grade.
Speaker 3: You fucking more on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would never judge anyone for what they read and didn't read. But like he was just saying, he like someone was claiming that we're all lying that we read it as children, and it's like I wouldn't do it on my own.
Speaker 3: We had to read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like your intro to Greek mythology at least our like age group.
Speaker 2: But I okay, wait, so wait, but now you have to read the Joyce Carol Oates one of Emily Wilson's article. So that's for next week. You let us know what that's like. Oh wait, Joyce.
Speaker 3: Carol Oates then responds, and.
Speaker 2: Emily Wilson, You're like a dumb bitch, like get a life.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, women on women violence.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't read the Joyce one yet, but like, so that's really funny. I also Anthony jessel Nick just had a huge feature in the La Times about his book club.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I know.
Speaker 1: And actually I have written down some of the books that I've seen Anthony mention on Instagram and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a big reader.
Speaker 2: I mean it's really like opened my life to such to such new things.
Speaker 3: It's really been so beautiful. Yeah Joyce.
Speaker 1: Carol Oates panned Emily Wilson's Odyssey, Pan, I can't wait to read this, okay for next week.
Speaker 3: But I thought Matt Damon did a great job.
Speaker 1: Anne Hathaway gorgeous, so good again, like yeah, he the women could have all done a lot more. But I thought the woman that played Searcy, she's a way what is her name, She's like an Oscar winning actor, Samantha Morton. Samantha Morton. Yeah, sorry, you had that quickerles. I just saw Casey the movie buff would know that one. She was excellent, Like, she had a great I thought she had a great part.
Speaker 2: Well, I was at my hair stylis house or she was at whatever. She accidentally said it was Samantha mathis not more And and I went she's been on the pod and so then when I saw that, that's why her name is so in my head, because I was like, I can't wait to see her again, to be like girl, Yeah it was not Samantha mathis right.
Speaker 3: I so you loved it, you liked it, you had a good time.
Speaker 1: I had a great time. It's a little under three hours. I felt like it flew by. I thought it looked cool. I mean like, yeah, I didn't read any I didn't like refresh my memory on the Odyssey before I went, or I might have been like, huh, that didn't happen like that, But like the Odyssey of all Things was an oral tale that was told from person to person and changed over time. So I think if he does his own interpretation of it, that's fine.
Speaker 3: It's fine.
Speaker 2: I think if it was if it wasn't so attached to her book, she probably wouldn't have written anything. Probably, Yeah, But I was thinking I wanted to read Sircy before I saw it. But now I'm in this other book, so we'll see if I can get finished this one, because this one's over four hundred pages, so we'll see. But you know, I the Song of Achilles is like what I read that, like alterned my being mm and like, so I just hate these motherfuckers, Like I hate what's his name, Agamenonon I'll slip yeah, because I just read it.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to say any of their names, Like who plays him?
Speaker 1: Agamemnon in the Odyssey is played by Benny SAFTI right, it's one of the Safty So it.
Speaker 2: All works out because in the book Song of Achilles, like I will murder that man and Odysseus, all of them, you fucking losers, like you have to go to war, like get a life.
Speaker 3: She doesn't want to be with you, she doesn't want to be with you.
Speaker 2: Helen's been taken, like for them to have ruined Achilles and what how do you say Petrocolis, Petrocolis, petrocolis. Yeah, Like I just they're my heart and soul. And so I'm just mad at everyone. So I don't know if I'm gonna be able to watch this. I'm like so mad, but I'll obviously see I want to see the invite though before sorry, I have to see that.
Speaker 1: I want to see the invite really badly because yeah, my friend just texted me and was like there's a person in it that reminds us of a friend or something, and so I really need to see it. Okay, so we are in the time machine obviously because I'm in the woods or whatever.
Speaker 3: But and so this will be late for a lot of you.
Speaker 1: But people have been asking us to weigh in on this, and I my algorithm knows I'm a mom, and so it constantly sends me child death. I don't know if that happens to other people that are moms that listen to this podcast or parents, like it will be like like this person's baby drowned, and like what you know, it just like sends you articles all the time about this kind of stuff. So this stuff was like coming into my feed, and then the more I started interacting with it, the Lindsey Clancy trial has literally taken over my entire social media feed in a way that I don't enjoy. But I have been deep diving into it a little bit more. And so this is a woman who, in a bout of postpartum psychosis, took the lives of her three children while her husband was out of the house for like literally fifty minutes.
Speaker 3: Like it's a really, really wild.
Speaker 1: Timeline, and people are the internet is interneting really hard and are trying to make it. Are trying to say that she didn't do it, that her husband did it. She doesn't remember doing it, but she's like, oh, I must have done it, because like his timeline adds up, he was at CBS. He picked up the the takeout and then he went back to the house and he found her outside in the snow. She had jumped out of a second when second floor window. She is paralyzed from the waist down from this jump. By the way, I only found that out a few days ago. She had tried to slit her wrists. She had tried to take her own life, and then the kids were in the basement and were One of them was able to be resuscitated, but then died a couple of days later, so that the children were all to see.
Speaker 3: It's like so heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: And this woman was a labor and delivery nurse, Like she was not a person that was like yeah, I kind of just met this guy and he wanted kids and like whatever, Like she loved babies and like loved her children and had asked reached out for help with mental with postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety, all kinds of like postpartum issues that she was having, and she was prescribed medicine and then it would make her feel numb, and then she would get off of that medicine. And I understand there is like a cocktail of finding your medicine. But she checked herself in to a rehab, an inpatient rehab on January first, for five days, so she was there a roughly January first through fifth, and she killed her kids like nineteen days later. And in that rehab, it's like they asked her, do you have any plans to hurt yourself for anyone else?
Speaker 3: And she said no, and they were like, I guess we're good. Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: This feels like a failure of medical professionals.
Speaker 2: Well I saw the video of the fucking psychiatrist getting reamed out by this defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think there's like the one issue.
Speaker 2: But also like this man has a new girlfriend four months later, your whole face, not a new girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Not a new girlfriend.
Speaker 1: He's remarried and has a new child with this and has a child with this woman, and the entire thing happened three and a half years ago. Like I listen when like a famous comedian, his wife passed away, he got married within a year, and people were trying to give him shit. I was like, no, he like that is a tragedy that happened to him, where he wants to move on and date someone else and falls in love with someone else.
Speaker 3: I think that's possible.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe that, Like your three children can be murdered by your wife and you can be like I'm ready to date, like within a three year span, and.
Speaker 2: You don't think there's any way that he did it, or like the police with the shady investigation, like there's none of that, Like she did it, and that's that.
Speaker 1: I think that the physical evidence is like he was not there when it happened and she was. But like there's all kinds of stuff people are bad badding, like all this stuff around Facebook and Instagram and TikTok and like there's all this conspiracy stuff going on. That's like his fingerprints were actually there and not hers, and then people are like that's not true. They're also filing a civil suit together, both of them. He immediately came out after this happened and said he wanted people to forgive his wife like he was like I, and people are like he was taking all these trips to New York and he was leaving her alone when he knew she was struggling, And then other people are like, no, he advocated for her to get help. He hired a nanny to help her around the house. He saved money knowing that she couldn't go back to work, like he was not. I think people are just trying to like villainize this guy. Is it possible in the realm of like what a podcast that we host where all these crazy things happen and we've read in SAE cases like a woman went to jail for seven months for a crime that her ex boyfriend framed her for. Like, of course, I think these things can happen, But I just have to believe that they've done so much digging into this and that if there was any evidence to support that, they wouldn't be a trial right now on this. I think it's crazy she's even on trial, Like I think this is like this person's life is ruined, Like there's no evidence that she premeditated killing her children, that she she literally her husband went out.
Speaker 3: She started hearing voices saying kill the kids.
Speaker 1: She heard a men's man's voice telling her to do it, and I think seeing like something like go with God or go to God or something like.
Speaker 2: Can they like can the psychiatrist go to jail? Like what because the attorney is doing such a good job. It's really like booking hole. You know, he's doing the reasonable doubt fucking dance like it is every clip I see is incredible. But his job is like to get her into a hospital seat of prison, Like she's not gonna be found not guilty, right right.
Speaker 1: Right, It's going to be prison versus and like this woman does not need to be in prison, like this woman who is so like we've seen killers on the stage and who are just like stone face. She's sobbing through the court proceedings. She's in a wheelchair. I mean, like, I just don't see how this and then they're you know, I just think it's like fire, like postpartum is so woefully under researched, Like people do not understand she this woman did everything right, like she journaled, she went to doctors, she went back again. She said this isn't working, blah blah blah. She reached out, She told people, she told friends like she never specifically said I'm going to harm my kids, but that's because this was a like postpartum psychosis.
Speaker 3: Can come and go.
Speaker 1: It can just be like about of something that happens, you know. So it's really it's disheartening to see so many people be like it doesn't matter she murdered those kids. It's like, it does matter, Like if you're under a complete like fugue state caused by postpartum psychosis, it does matter to me.
Speaker 3: I think it matters.
Speaker 2: Well because there's also not how people usually react. I feel like, usually, like with Andrea Yates and all these people, like when you kill your own kids, people are pissed. So like the fact that so many women and like people are like behind her, it says something too right.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's other women that have done this where it's like, oh, it was a black guy that took my car and drove and killed my kids, like they've created a whole story. This is like a woman who like and what I think. Another thing that's like weird is like her body was at eighty two degrees when they found her, and they're like, how is it possible that she got her body temperature lowered that much when he was only gone for like forty five minutes, Like she called him on the phone while he was at CBS and spoke to him and she sounded normal, and then he was home forty minutes later and this had all happened. So and everybody's like, it takes this much time to strangle someone and it couldn't have happened this way, and that he was drugging her to make her believe that she killed them, and then he set it all up to look like that, I mean, is it possible? Sure, Like I just like don't believe that this guy could have done it in a way that was so that not a stitch of evidence was found to support that.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Also psychiatrists and psychologists and therapists that listen to this podcast are going to weigh in that it's not that easy to just like see someone struggling and say, oh, you have post part of psychosists, or you have this or like you know, it's not like necessarily like it's not like a blood test where you're like, oh, we got it wrong, you know, like they were giving her different drug.
Speaker 3: Like I do know that finding the right.
Speaker 1: Drug cocktail that works for a specific person is a really specific process and it's not you know, oh, well, you should have given her this, or you should have known she was going to hurt her kids when, like she said, she never did. She also like, she also described herself as having intrusive thoughts, but later after the fact, it was determined that she was actually having hallucinations. She just didn't know the difference between intrusive thoughts and hallucinations. Like intrusive thoughts are kind of like you're driving your car and you're like, what if I just drove my car into this building, Like that's kind of an intrusive thought, right, Like a hallucination is like there's a man standing here telling me to kill my kids, Like you know, so she was having hallucinations but describing them as intrusive thoughts and so like, I don't know who can be blamed.
Speaker 3: I think it's a tragedy all around.
Speaker 1: And I don't think anything is solved by this woman going to jail personally, and if it makes them study postpartum and take post part of Like I go to my kid's pediatrician for their first year of life a ton of times because they've got to get all these shots and all these checkups, like at you know, this month and three months and four months and six months and whatever. And I fill out a survey every time, like am I crying uncontrollably? Am I feeling sad? Like you fill out these surveys. A lot of people are like, I don't know if I really want to talk to my pediatrician about this. A lot of people are like, say that maybe something's happening, but not to the degree that it is. So I know they're trying to do more to identify when women are having these struggles, but there's still plenty of sietal pressure saying, oh, you just have the baby blue, suck it up like you're a mom.
Speaker 3: It's the best job in the world.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, I feel very lucky that I've said on this podcast before, I've never had any postpartum depression. But like I was saying to Jared, I go imagine if I had. Imagine if Jared left to go work on a movie when Rosie was two weeks old and he stayed there until she was eleven weeks old. If I suddenly thought I was gonna kill my kids, Like I mean, I can't even imagine, like what I would have done if I had had like a stroke of or about of postpartum psychosis like this, you know, like I would I was alone with my kid for like two months, so I mean obviously babysitters and friends and people were coming around, but.
Speaker 2: Because of the guilt, it's like your guilt of that, but it's like you can't control. It's like insane amounts of hormones. Your body is going through the most insane thing ever, and it's like downplayed so men don't have to be as nice or something, but it's like the most psychotic thing that could happen to your body and hormones and brain. And then it's just like, wow, you better just be feeling great and ready to fucking six weeks. It's like, what the fuck is happening? Like the like complete ah, yeah, it's I mean, this is grim. But I was I don't know why I brought this up at dinner yesterday, but I was just saying, I'm like, if like abortion was just not a possibility and I got pregnant, like I would definitely jump off a bridge, Like I wouldn't. I don't know what I would do hopefully I can find another poison, but like I wouldn't go through I wouldn't be able to be pregnant. I really wouldn't like and it's opposite of what we're talking about, but it's like, uh, it is just such a huge fucking thing in the way it's dismissed in terms of reproductive talks of like just give it up for adoption. I don't want like the thought, like the thought of me being I don't know why this came up, probably because of this case. I'm thinking about all these things, like I don't know why I was. It's been swirling in me the last week, and I have an IUD but like I truly was like if I couldn't get an abortion and I was pregnant, I.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't know what I would do.
Speaker 2: I would truly I would be one of those people that like, yeah, because.
Speaker 1: It isn't just like you're getting fat for nine months. It's like it's a huge painful process to deliver the baby, and then there's repercussions mentally that can happen and physically for months afterwards, and you're just like have it get like give it up for adoption.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's so it's.
Speaker 2: And I think my point of view is maybe a minority or people just don't talk about it as much. But like the thought of it, truly, I like was sitting on I think a flight, being like, no, I would jump off a bridge, like I think I would jump off a bridge.
Speaker 3: Maybe I would do pills or something, but like, and.
Speaker 2: It's like fucked up to even talk about it like that, But I'm like, that is what I feel on the inside if I were to be pregnant, like I truly, I cannot even imagine it. Yeah, And then this woman wanted all these children she worked within.
Speaker 1: This she like, you know, she loved her children, but she just would like write journal entries that are like I feel like I'm suffocating. I feel like every day is like I'm just waiting for the next nap time.
Speaker 2: And that woman gave her zoloften. She shouldn't like that. Psychiatrists like she should be fucking imprisoned.
Speaker 1: I feel like I don't know the ins and outs of the psychiatry and how they could have prevented this. But this woman did like everything right, and I feel like she should just be be not being tried by like she should be just in a mental health facility, Like this is crazy. But I also feel like the internet is like they're like having fun with it in a way that is really creepy. Like everyone's like this lawyer, what he's gonna do is he's setting it up so that you can actually turn it around on the husband. And it's like all these professional lawyers are like, that is not how the law works. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts is not doing that. That is like not how you bring a case. Like it's not like a Law and Order episode where you you like implicate so someone else.
Speaker 2: He is poking holes. He has to set up reasonable doubt. Yeah, and he is. Yeah, you know, the lawyer is good. The lawyer is really good, and.
Speaker 3: Thank god she found this lawyer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's also suing the I think she's suing the practitioners. She's suing the practitioners civilly with her husband, like alongside them. Do they interact in court? I think he was only on the stand. I don't know if he comes to court every day, but I know he can't. He took the stand. I don't know if they interact, I don't I don't know, and.
Speaker 2: Then Luigi's state trial I think starts September eighth. Yeah, but I'll try to be it's just too much to deal with.
Speaker 3: I know it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Let's see, we've been babbling for a long time. Obviously, you guys can all in the comments of, like, you know, our Instagram post for this episode. You can let us let us know your feelings on this. But I'm sure I don't know. It's like I'm not saying like completely impossible, but I'm saying very likely, not possible, that this husband has completely framed and that this trial is so under the public in the public eye and under a microscope, and that like he did everything according to plan and nothing is and there's no evidence against him.
Speaker 3: Anyway, let's get started with the episode.
Speaker 1: You guys can go to That's Messed Up Live dot com obviously for our merch for links to Liza's tour dates, for link to our patreon if you'd like to join our patreon. We have two beautiful tiers of our patreon, and we're doing fun stuff over there, interviewing fun people, talking about conspiracy theories, watching book reviews, everything and anything.
Speaker 3: We're doing it over there.
Speaker 1: Patreon dot com slash that's messed up. And then let's get started with today's episode. All right, today we are doing Guardians and Glatty from season twenty two, episode one. This is the season opener of the twenty second season, and we are deep in COVID.
Speaker 3: It's from November of twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the masks are a problem on the off.
Speaker 3: Like the masks watching.
Speaker 1: Yes, as we've mentioned, like the mask use is very sporadic, And I wrote, first of all, lol to the card saying this is a fictional story and doesn't depict any actual person, Like I feel like whenever I see that card, I'm like, Okay, for sure, this is an episode decidedly based on an actual person. And then keep in mind it's like November of twenty twenty. We're in the height of we've had like Black Lives Matter, all of these like all the defund the police. Karen's like and the episode opens immediately with a Karen in a mask screaming at a man who's videotaping her and worsing the POV of his phone, and she has a kid with her and he's like, Mom, can you stop being such a dumb bitch, can we just go? And the man turns the camera on himself and obviously he's a black man, and the Karen is calling the cops on him to report him, and it's like for what exactly, Like she will not say, and so she calls the cops and goes, there's a black man here in the ramble in Central Park and he's threatening my son. And the guy's like, I'm just working out, uh, and he's like, this is America in twenty twenty. So this episode's very interesting because the show really decided to.
Speaker 3: Tackle this stuff like really head on. I think there is no way not to, you know what I mean. It's like the show in theory is cp Ganda.
Speaker 2: We've talked about the depth how sview is different than other departments, and that's what makes the show special. But it is, it is what it is. We hate defense attorneys. We love when they break the law, and we love when so it would be crazy not to cover like the Black Lives Matter and cops murdering black people constantly for with no punishment, Like it would be easy for them not.
Speaker 1: To, yeah, yeah, yeah, And we we can talk at the end about how they handle it, but we cut to the police now rolling up and now we're seeing everything through their bodycam footage POB. So we were seeing everything through a cell phone, now it's through bodycam, and it's I think that's like an interesting commentary on how like everything is being filmed now, like the whole crowd around them, everyone's stopped. Like people aren't really like no, I mean not like you need people to get involved, but no one's like, oh wow, it seems like this is an unfair thing happening.
Speaker 3: Everyone's just like I got to get this on video, like you know.
Speaker 1: And the guy is defending himself and the mom is like, he's scaring my son, and meanwhile the son is like, mom, I need to go find my ball. Like the kid is at best annoyed, like he is not scared at all, and it's like seems like his mom is bothering him the most. And Dylan, the little boy, has run off to find his ball and he's like, Mommy, mommy, there's a man. So in the middle of this ridiculous Karen led harassment of a black man, this Karen's son finds a body. It's truly the only way SVU could do this is Karen could portray Karen's is the way they're doing it. And the guy they find lying on the ground, he's moaning, he's alive and he's bleeding, and the woman immediately says that says, oh it's I knew something was about this guy.
Speaker 3: He must have done it.
Speaker 1: So this woman thinks she stumbled upon a guy who hurt somebody and then he made her son feel unsafe, and so she started videotaping called the cops like she really feels like she's the hero here. And the cops arrests the man and they claim he's resisting and they basically take him down, and you can tell that they're not doing it in a nice way, right, Like this is definitely a commentary on you know, how the cops use unnecessary force. So finally we're and this is not, by the way, our cops. These are uniforms. Finally we're done with the shaky camera. Peovis and Benson is on the scene with Rollins. The victim says his name is Eric, and these freaks are just recording NonStop on their phones while this young guy who was found with his pants down bleeding is on a stretcher and Rollins is trying to get the look he lose to step back. She's like, come on, guys, step back, step back, and they're like, we're allowed to record. We're allowed to record. And Eric's Eric's trying to give them a statement and goes, he went nuts, he raped me. And Kat's asking did you know your attacker? And he just kind of starts coding, like he just starts like passing out. And so Liv tries to send Kat in the bus with Eric, but COVID she's not allowed to get in the ambulance with them, so she'll meet them at the hospital. So live in, Finn talk to the uniform who arrested this s guy and he's like the man's combative and aggressive, and Finn's like, you arrested him for being aggressive and he goes, no, sir, good show of respect for Finn, and he goes, I ran his ID and he has two outstanding warrants. So when Liv goes over to the suspect, he recognizes her and goes, don't I know you? I know you right, And she's like, I'll be asking questions and he says, I'm not answering any of your questions. I don't even know why I'm under arrest, and he tells them that his outstanding arrests.
Speaker 3: Are for protesting.
Speaker 1: So now we talk to Karen and thus not her name, but we will be calling her that. And she's like, I knew he was up to no good from his body language and the way he raised his voice. He scared my son. And then she goes, I'm not one of those Karens. And it's like, you absolutely need to look in the mirror because you are exactly that.
Speaker 3: So Finn is like, live, do we have to do it this way?
Speaker 1: Like we're profiling this guy, like we don't have anything but the word of this Karen and whatever. And she's like, he's got warrants, he's not helping himself. There's literally like no proof that this man did a damn thing besides b black in Central Park. Central Park is very populated, Like it's not like you're in some I don't know, rural area where like yeah, sure, if you find a guy working out next to a body, you're like, yeah, you probably did this. Like what's going on? Central Park has people everywhere at all times. And Finn goes, all right, put him in the car, and the guy goes nuts because like there's this moment where you're like, oh, it's kind of up to Finn, and then Finn goes, yeah, I guess if the guy's not.
Speaker 2: Talking, that's upsetting to me. Yeah, and it's upsetting that finess to be in this situation obviously, you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like he's not talking, he's like, it's and it's also I think they feel pressure because of all the cameras, because all these people are videotaping them. They've gotten a lot of shit because Amorrow shot a kid, because Finn just shot a black man in the projects.
Speaker 3: Like the cops are just getting.
Speaker 1: A lot of pressure, as they should be from the public for being untrustworthy using unnecessary force, like you know, no knock warrants, Breonna Taylor, Like we've all seen this all unfolding culturally across the entire country. And then even in the context of the show, some of the officers of this unit have been in trouble recently for these shootings that not everybody thinks are good, even though they may have been declared good by IAB. So, like, the guy is freaking out, the cops are stop resisting, and then Live looks uncertain that she made the right call and now we're at the credits. So back at Live's office, they're watching footage while Careese slathers on some antibacterial and like that's going to keep all the COVID away and lives like, wait, this bitch called the cops before the victim was discovered. The UNI never told us that, like they didn't realize that she was complaining about this guy for no reason. They thought that they found the body and then they called the cops like they didn't know the order of operations here. So Caresee's like, oh my god, basically like tell me, you guys didn't fuck this up.
Speaker 3: We have probable cause, right, and they.
Speaker 1: Mentioned the curfew violation warrants that this guy has against him, and Cariese's like, we're not prosecuting those, but this guy has nothing violent and no sexual assault in his record. And the victim, Erica Kino twenty six, lost consciousness before they could get a statement, and Coreese's lit up. They've got like jack shit and they want to go talk to the suspector's name is Jayvon Brown was played by Blake Anthony Morris. He explains, I work out there every morning after my night shift, like I'm a sorterer at this facility, Like, are you guys even asking the white lady questions? And he's like, I expect this nonsense from her talking about Benson, But doesn't this get old for you?
Speaker 3: Man to Finn and yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Finn's in a tough position as always. Now we're speaking to playing a nurse on TV Royalty. Steven Wallam, who here is playing Nurse Rudy Cindergard, and he's been on eight episodes of SVU, ranging from seasons twenty one to twenty six. But he also famously played a nurse named Thor in seventy nine episodes of Nurse Jackie.
Speaker 2: And I did see him on the sidewalk once and I said, huge fan, and he gave a wink and it was a nice moment. Oh love that pre SVU, or obviously would have had some other things to say pre r pod. This is yeah, a long time ago, or maybe not pre the pod, but pre him being on SVO.
Speaker 3: So probably pre the who knows.
Speaker 2: I don't want to talk about it anymore, but I.
Speaker 3: Did see him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when did we start this podcast? On episode twenty When we started the podcast, it was episode twenty two, because we started the podcast a week after this episode aired.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean obviously we started recording a little bit earlier, but the first episode came out like in twenty twenty. Okay, So, so Rudy Cindergard, the nurse, is bummed. He's like, Eric's one of the good guys. Like he's a resident. They bumped him up during COVID to work the er. By the way, he's in like full scrubs, this guy full mass, like everything, and he's emotional, like, I'm sure the trauma of being a nurse in a COVID er in New York City is contributing to it. And also now it seems like this guy he was friendly with, he's like, we haven't been able to do a rape kit on him, but there is some anal trauma. He goes, I'll get you the clothes for DNA, and then he points them to Eric's family and goes, they're Filipino Catholics, so.
Speaker 3: They might not be aware of Eric's orientation.
Speaker 1: So in the room with Eric's mom and brother, she was like, I was always worried about him walking through the park, and did you get that guy from the video, And she goes the black guy, like she does not say black guy in a nice way. And because now this video has gone viral, right, this video of this man getting arrested and everyone thinks he's the one that's hurt Eric, So Rollins asked the brother, like about the social life, friends relationships, and he obviously can't talk in front of his mom, and his mom's like, no, there's no time for that.
Speaker 3: It's all work and family.
Speaker 1: And now Cat and Rollins are chatting like how could his family not know what he was doing in the Ramble at night? And Kat's like, my family had no clue, And I guess I'm finding out too, Like I didn't know the Ramble.
Speaker 3: Is a historic gay hookup spot, Like I had no idea.
Speaker 1: And I walked by that all the time because it's right below seventy ninth Street, and I lived on the upper West and would walk to the ubber East. But yeah, I guess it's got like a lot of little nooks and crannies and it's very wooded, so you can kind of hook up and have some fun. But the brother catches up to them and he's like, obviously has tea dispill that he couldn't say in front of mom, and he's like, Eric texted me last night and told me not to wait up. He likes to unwind after his shift and he goes to the outdoor bars on Ninth Avenue. That's a huge party scene now, so they're gonna check traffic cams, run his cards, et cetera.
Speaker 3: At s you've been.
Speaker 2: In New York, Like people were having margaritas in the streets. Yeah, like obviously a lot of people were dying and it was really sad and scary, but.
Speaker 3: People were having margarita's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like really scary New York at that time, but yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: It's like it because obviously people were dying.
Speaker 2: Their dead body is it's like a small city, so like every not small, but like like like there was nowhere to hide. But from La, it was just like watching a lot of my friends doing outdoor shows in the back of trucks and like walking the streets on patios having margarita's, and La felt so shut down. But obviously the joy was not worth all of the terrible things. But from a distance, I definitely was like, fucked, I make the right to sit because I'd only moved to La December twenty nineteen. So I just wasn't have a crazy time for you to have just moved to LA, for sure.
Speaker 3: But so I was so grateful to be in La.
Speaker 2: The weather, the walks, the community we had and all that. But definitely seeing people like doing packed outdoor shows was like, yeah, you know, I was jus.
Speaker 1: Even like my show, which is an outdoor show, didn't come back till July twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Now LA was very locked down, very locked down, very locked down.
Speaker 1: So then at SVU, the TV is playing the video of Javon being manhandled by the MIPD. Kreese's like, this has five million hits already. I mean, you don't even want to know how many calls I'm getting. And then Lives like, well, we found a problem with Javon's timeline. So Cariese and Live go to talk to him and they're like, well, you got to the park at seven am, but you punched out at your job at five am, so what's up. Like the gap in your timeline is when Eric Aquino was attacked in the ramble, Just tell us where you were, and he goes, I was having coffee with my sponsor before our six am meeting. He's in narcotics anonymous NA. Last spring, he hurt his back, he got hooked on oxy. He's clean now and lives Like, why didn't you tell us this? And he like the thing is is like you could chuck it up to being like if this guy had just talked and explained a lot of stuff at the beginning, he probably wouldn't have even gotten brought in or arrested. But you can also understand why black men don't want to talk to the police because they ignore what you say, they twist what you say, they don't care.
Speaker 3: They like, you know, we.
Speaker 1: See time and time again, the police have their eye on a narrative and they just sail towards that narrative and they don't they ignore everything else.
Speaker 3: With blinders on. So the guy's like, ah, I wanted to move. I want to move up at my job.
Speaker 1: I get better benefits and better pay if I'm a driver, and I don't want the NYPD telling my boss that I'm in NA. And Finn's like, your boss is never going to hear that from us, but we need your sponsor's number. So at a bar on Ninth Avenue called Onny Maddens, the Irish bartender full Irish accent, recognize Eric from the news, but not from the night before, and he thinks he remembers Javon though, but he was slammed, and he goes, everyone was outside. My camera's busted, so I really can't help you with any footage, and they're like, listen, buddy, we don't really care if you black out the camera, so you can stay open after hours, and he's like, I'm a reputable establishment and Rollin's like, well, my tech guys can come down here, and he's like not without a warrant, they can't. So cat taps her out and goes, I just got traffic cam footage of Eric walking down the street with this white guy, so definitely not Javon. Rollins clocks this guy from being at the park earlier filming the arrest and kind of popping off with some BLM chan looky loose and now but I see this guy. I also clocked him because I remember thinking he kind of looks like a Tamu Kevin kin Like, he looks a little bit like Kevin Kine melting a little bit.
Speaker 3: And I was like, who is that? Te Ka?
Speaker 1: Because I thought to myself is that Kevin Kane and yet another role before he comes onto the show as a regular, but it's not. And then at the precinct, Now Live tells them, see if Taru can track down this guy from the video that he made, because he made a video of you know, Rollin's going please step back, guys, please step back or whatever. So meanwhile his sponsor, Javon sponsor, a corporate lawyer, thoroughly corroborates his story over speakerphone and says Javon's been diligently working his program, like I don't think he would jeopardize that, Like I don't see him committing these crimes, and they tell him he can go as soon as they get the eighty eight to drop the charges. Finn's like, one last question, we want to see if you can help us, if you know the guy who was with Eric, like the one who was filming at the scene of the arrest, and Javon's like, even if I did notice him, why would I help you, and lives like, I get it, you have a to be angry, and he goes, you don't have to tell me.
Speaker 3: I have a right to my anger.
Speaker 1: I know that, and then we cut to Rollins in the hospital church with Eric's mom and Rollins tells her it isn't the man from the video, and she does not recognize the white guy. Kat is showing the brother a picture of the white guy and she goes and he goes, well, that's Eric's type, like white preppy. He calls them his Chino boys, and he tells Kat about his brother and how he compartmentalized his life, like he kept his social life and his family and his work and everything very separate. So now at the precinct, we're seeing a video we saw earlier of Rollins telling people to move back, and it is titled hotty cop telling me to move We can No one can ever, just like not remind everyone like Rollin's is extremely hot. So then this guy films himself chanting defund the police, and there's no idea on this guy just to handle, which is thirst trap ninety four.
Speaker 3: So now they're all sitting around. Finn is wearing a mask. No one else's like.
Speaker 1: It's just really hilarious, Like people will just be wearing masks and then just take them off mid conversation, will show up one person wearing a mask. One's not like it's funny, like, I get it. They're all getting tested on this set. They're trying to I think they're trying to play the reality of New York City and not ignore the pandemic. But also, you can't show people on television not acting. We have to see their faces, you know. So they find a post of thirst Trap ninety four with some girls and there's three girls in the photo, and he goes track down the girl he didn't tag.
Speaker 3: She might have the more interesting story. Just then, Chief.
Speaker 1: Garland walks in. He needs to talk to Livi and Finn about Jaybon Brown. He's fa a lawsuit against NYPD and they've both been named.
Speaker 3: So now they're.
Speaker 1: Watching the footage live and Finn are like explaining their decisions, but Garland is like, shut it. You both sound defensive and that is not a good look these days, and liv says, we were by the book, and Garland yells, yeah, that's the book that got us here. He's like, after George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, the city, the whole country is on boil, and businesses usual doesn't fly. Lives like I hear you, and he goes, yeah, well, one PP has launched an investigation and iab is starting with you. We're under a microscope going there, give short answers, don't over explain, and bring a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Then he's like, Finn, walk me out.
Speaker 1: So Garland asks Finn, would things have played out differently if Jayvon were white? And he's like, yo, I don't think Live has a conscious bias. Her only bias is for victims, and like, you're not going to get me to say that my boss. So you're not gonna get me to turn on Live basically and say that she's racist or whatever. And Garland's like, I know we don't relate on a lot, but we're both black and blue. We've been on this job a long time. Did you know my father joined the force in the seventies and made sergeant, which is as far as we could go back then. But he's like, but things are changing, and Finn's like, yeah, I've heard that before. The only thing I know is this country will always break your heart. Finn says, tough stuff. Garland says, this time it's different. It's a true inflection point, I know it, And Finn is skeptical, and Garland says, but the old Guard is not going to go down without a fight, there's going to be a purge. And he says, I appreciate your loyalty, but you got to watch out for yourself. This is your second lawsuit this year, and he's referencing the episode Things we Have to Lose, which is from the previous season, and Finn ended up shooting this man in front of his kid because the guy had a gun. He'd already raped his wife and they were worried he could have done anything, and he wouldn't put the gun down. So it's of course we see the whole thing and it seems like a good shooting, and he's like, that was a good shooting, and he goes, yeah, but you shot a black man in his home. It was a good shooting. But it doesn't matter. None of us are safe, not me, not you, not Benson. So it's interesting because they're taking you behind not just what Finn and Garland feel as black men being on the forest, but also politically like are we going to be scapegoats?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, Like I have noticed that the people that usually the police that usually do get in trouble are the women, like the Republicans that usually get arrested are the black people, like it still falls in line even if you play the game with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean Trump's mostly just fire when my women from his cabinet, Like he doesn't really fire these dudes.
Speaker 3: But so now Rollins and co.
Speaker 1: Are talking to the girl that thirst Trap ninety four untagged. I find it so crazy that they can't find this man's name, but they can find a girl in one of his photos who is untagged. But they found her. She says, the guy's name is Joe Murphy. We dated super briefly, and she goes, he needs to be canceled. And I feel like this is the show trying to shoehorn how cancel culture is a big thing happening at the time. Yeah, but it's a little bit random, Like a man named Joe Murphy doesn't get canceled like Kevin Spacey gets canceled, you know what I mean, Like you don't really get you can lose your job, you could get outcast from your community. It's like cancelation I think is usually people that are more high profile.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's kind of like what like it just gets co opted to mean like fake news means so many things, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, it just gets like, oh, now, you guys are going to cancel me.
Speaker 1: Because of like I guess he can refer to some comics getting canceled who aren't even a big deal because they don't get to play anymore.
Speaker 3: Clubs like won't hire them anymore. Whatever. But does that ever happen again? Barely?
Speaker 1: So she says, yeah, he untagged me because I broke up with him and he couldn't handle it.
Speaker 3: He was a charmer, but he changed.
Speaker 1: He really changed when he hit the Tequila Turnpike and she was like, yeah, basically he couldn't get it up, and then he'd go off on me. He'd apologize the next day with flowers. It was just like getting exhausting after a while. Twenty five years, I should have known. He's twenty five and still lives with his mom, which is funny because I feel like people live with their moms way longer than twenty five now. I was living with my parents when I was twenty three, and.
Speaker 2: Which is also such an American thing, like people live with their families all over the world very.
Speaker 3: Long time totally.
Speaker 1: When I lived in Italy, my Italian friends were in their thirties and all lived with their parents, every single one, not one of them have their own apartment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we really let capitalism and rich guys really fuck up our lives.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in such.
Speaker 2: Huge ways, because I'm thinking about high you know, when I was in Texas, it's like everything's with a fucking highway, you know, like if they're just.
Speaker 3: Some more walk couple cities.
Speaker 2: And then I it like it, you end up sounding like a crazy person when you start talking about any one issue because it all is so interconnected.
Speaker 3: It's like fucked and it all does boil down to just like money, money, yes, and don't.
Speaker 1: I mean I've been like on a real democratic socialist tip lately where I'm like, I think all of our problems essentially stem from the wealth inequality gap and we should have been doing something about this a long fucking time ago. But uh this so now, okay, we know this guy's twenty five, lives with his mom, and his name's Joe Murphy. So now we're at Burnetette Murphy's apartment. She opens the door, seeming a little groggy. It never gets addressed, but she seems a little wasted to me, like, I can't tell they asked to speak with Joe, and she goes, I don't think he's home. He's literally walked right behind her like she doesn't even like chat say, and he goes, mom, I'm right here, and then he goes, hey, blondie cop to Rollins, hope you're not upset about my video. He goes, I know I was all BLM in the park, but really, you cops didn't do anything wrong, Like you just sort of hate this guy immediately he's got a very punishable face. But also so you're at a thing chanting BLM, posting videos about bad cops. But then the minute the cops show up, you're like totally boot licking and like, actually, I love you guys, like cops rule. So that's the sky in a nutshell right up top. And then he goes, yeah, I heard that thug is filing a lawsuit. And it's like why is he a thug, like because he's a black man. And then she goes jut, he goes, jud need me to back you up, and Rollins is like, step aside, losers. I know how to handle like these horny freaks, and.
Speaker 3: She goes, yeah, actually we do.
Speaker 1: It would be so great if you could come down to the station and give us a statement, like Hatty blonde cop would love to see you down there. So at the precinct, there's scheming ways to get to give up his DNA because they did find some DNA on eric A Keino, and they're scheming on ways to get him to give up a DNA, and then Finn goes check it out. He's wearing a mask, and Kat goes, ooh, I'll get him a fresh one. Masks are the new coke cans. Everybody watch out, and Benson has to go to IAB. She asks Finn, did Garland say anything about me to you? And he goes, yeah, watch your back, and so Kat gives a guy, the guy a filtered mask and goes, it's it's NYPD protocol. Even though none of us are really wearing a mask right now, would it be okay if you wore a filtered mask and we took your old one? And it's, like I wrote, literally everyone is wearing masks at random at three minute intervals, So it's funny to me that she's like, we have protocol. So then she takes the old one. Boom, They've got DNA. So now they're asking him some questions. He's like, I don't know. Javon I don't know Eric, and then Rollin shows him the picture of him and Eric walking down. He's like, wait, I thought you guys. He goes, oh wait, that's him. I didn't put two and two together. So you two didn't have drinks together at this bar to a last call and he goes, no, no, it's not like that, and then he pulls his mask down. The protocol does not matter anymore and he goes, the guy followed me out. He was kind of hitting on me. I didn't want to be rude. So they're like, so you walked with him into the park and he goes, dude, do I look gay.
Speaker 3: I'm engaged.
Speaker 1: I went right to my fiance's place around four thirty or five, So then how did you end up back in the park at seven am? And he goes, oh, well, Ashley lives nearby. I heard all the sirens and I went to check it out. So they need to talk to Ashley. He goes, great, I'll call her, and Finn goes, we'll handle that, and he looks a little bit like, oh fuck, I'm not going to be able to give my quote unquote girlfriend fiance a heads up. So now at this iab meeting in walks Captain Curry. This is our first introduction to Captain Curry, who is still on the show. And she tells Benson, oh, we've actually she knows Benson and is like, we actually met briefly at Ed Tucker's funeral, and Benson doesn't really remember.
Speaker 3: Because the love of her life had just died.
Speaker 1: My words, not hers, but Curry was like, yeah, that was a really tough day for me too.
Speaker 3: Tucker was my rabbi.
Speaker 1: And she goes his poor wife, and that stings Benson for a second. She's like, oo, I forgot there was another lady in his life. And Benson has passed on a lawyer. She did not bring a lawyer. She goes, I know my conduct was by the book. So now at the precinct, Coreesy notices that Joe Murphy is dead asleep in interrogation. He goes, oh, good, that means he's guilty. And I forgot that. Guys that sleep are just so.
Speaker 2: Cocky, cocky, relaxed, Like you're so relaxed you're sleeping. But isn't that because if you're innocent maybe, or if you're innocent, you're relaxed. I actually don't remember and this could be one of those things that go back and forth depending on what they need in the moment, because I.
Speaker 1: Think if you're innocent, you're freaking out because you're like, I didn't do anything, and it feels like no one's listening to you. Yeah, but if you're guilty, maybe you just like honestly have to keep your breath control so you can.
Speaker 3: Beat a light detector or whatever.
Speaker 1: Rollins says, Yeah, the guy's alibi's bogus and we're still waiting on DNA.
Speaker 3: But he doesn't need to know that.
Speaker 1: So they wake this guy up from his nap and they bluffed him about how they're running the DNA and they think it's going to match the DNA on a keno. It's not really a bluff, that's like actually what they're doing, Like that's what they're doing. And he goes, oh, okay, I left this out. He asked me to smoke a joint in the park. I'm drunk, and so I go with him. Then he gets persuasive. He closes, He says, close your eyes, pretend I'm a girl. I'm going to give you the best blow job of your life. And then he started to unzip me but I said I'm not gay, and I pushed him off of me and I ran and they're like, well, did you push him hard? And he goes, no, not hard. When I looked back, he was chasing me. He must have taken a fall, and they're like, well, did you see that happen? And then suddenly a lawyer comes in with caresy and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, he goes Joe's lawy is he?
Speaker 1: And it's Ron Frado who we just met in murdered at a bad address and he basically does to say hi to you mother for me to Careesy, but he says say hi to he assisted Teresa. We have no idea why he knows Teresa. But this guy knows the cares family somehow. Nylam, Yeah, yeah he was. He was defending the guy that wasn't the actual criminal and murdered at a bad address, I think anyway, And it turns out the lawyer was hired by the Irish owner of the bar. He's looking out for Joe and Joe's mom. So maybe I was right and the mom is a drunk and she was married or having an affair or something or relationship with this bar owner and now the bar owner is going to bail out her son. Okay, why getting him a lawyer? He goes, yeah, he's loyal. I drink for free every night. And this guy's just gross, like he's acting like we're talking about somebody getting assaulted. If you're innocent, you should be trying to prove your innocence. If you're guilty, which you are, you're bragging about how you get free drinks of it. And he has what my dad always called a shit eating grin. And back to Curry and Benson's little chat. Benson is explaining that Javon was already under arrest when she arrived. He wouldn't cooperate. She was trying to clear him as a suspect. And Curry's like, so, had you ever met Jayvon before? And Benson goes not to my knowledge. Curry brings up a stop and frisk from twenty thirteen outside the Wagner houses. Nicko Morrow filed the two fifty and this is a reference to the Civil Shepherd episode where a white woman This is based on Trayvon Martin where a white woman shoots this innocent black man. And then one of the men that you and your partner stopped and frisks that day was Javon Brown. So Benson's like, well, he must have fit the profile. We were pursuing a black male serial rapist. And what about yesterday? Benson explains herself again, and then she's like, well, did you officers run Colleen Reynolds's name, And Benson's like no, and she goes, well, if you had, you would find out that Colleen has a history of false allegations and accusations and her ex has a restraining order against her, and Benson's like, oh, my bad.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: Benson's like, my bad, I should have done that, Like that is a mistake, and Curry wants to know if Benson has considered why she made them mist and Benson's like, I'm not biased. I'm well aware of false accusations against men of color, and then Curry turns off the recorder and goes, I'm gonna stop you here before you tell me you're an ally. I think this whole conversation is really good and like should have been like nominated for something. I think this is like a really I think Curry is doing great acting, Benson's doing great acting. I think this is a really good scene and.
Speaker 2: The conversation is important because that's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It's like unchecked bias. It's a carcass bias.
Speaker 2: It's like these biases exist within us, like like it's not even propagat Like society influences you, like the people around you influence you, like hello, advertising works on you. You're fucking brand loyal for no fucking reason, knowing that Johnson and Johnson owns all the competitors too, you know what I mean. And it's like we are just influenced all the time. I'm sure there's psychologists that do it. And so to think that you're like above it and can't see it, well, that's annoying.
Speaker 1: That's I think what everybody at this time period with these books that are coming out like how to be not just say I'm not racist, but to be anti racist, you know, or like these books like we need to talk about race about like people are like, well, I'm not racist, but completely unwilling to look inward at Wait why did I say that or think that? Like why do I have that opinion about this when like you're not interrogating your inner biases, which everybody does have. So, she Curry says, ever since George Floyd. I've taken so many statements from two kinds of cops, but to this is where the title of the episode comes in. But Tom swinging gladiators who take one look at me and can barely hide their disdain and the well intentioned guardian cops who don't see themselves as racist but are in denial about their complicity in the systemic racism within the NYPD. And Benson's like, well, I definitely know there's racism in the NYPD. Curry's like, what about your own bias? And She's like, I'm not racist, and then Curry goes, I'm sure you're not explicitly, but what about implicitly? If you grew up in this country, it's in you and me, she says, she goes, I struggle every day with my biases. For too many people, law enforcement has lost credibility, and until we take a serious self inventory, we can't begin to get it back.
Speaker 3: Sing it. I mean, I think that's totally true.
Speaker 1: Roin's because it's like this show has made Olivia Benson like very perfect for a really long time. I think it's great to give her like this very little bit of human fallibility, which is something we all have, and we all have implicit biases.
Speaker 3: So now rollin's increase.
Speaker 1: Here an interrogation with Joe Murphy and his lawyer who's trying some bullshit now about how his client was lured to the park and a kino became sexually aggressive, so then why is he the one in the ICU And the lawyer goes, sometimes things go wrong when drugs, alcohol and misplaced passion or involved Coriese's had enough, he goes, you want to try that bullshit, sell that bullshit to a jury. You go right ahead, book him attempted murder, assault one and criminal sexual act. And the lawyer is like, uh, hold up, hold up, Joe would be to consider misdemeanor assault, and Carisy's like, a kino has bruising trauma and your client's DNA and his underwear, and the lawyer's like, that can happen from consensual sex. But just like last week's episode, we have a deeply like either biphobic or homophobic person with internalized homophobia. Because he's like, even though it's like his lawyers are just trying to get him out of this, and he's like, oh, consensual, no way, I'm like there's no way. He's like, so self hating, you can't even have people consider that he wanted this interaction. And he's like, the guy forced himself on me. So before the lawyer can tell his client to shut the fuck up, they arrest him.
Speaker 3: Fred. It's like, yeah, good luck in court.
Speaker 1: We've got that viral video of your cops arresting an innocent guy and you don't even have a complaint at you're vixen. A coma cuts to Benson getting into an suv with Garland and he wants an update on the case. She fills him in and then he says it might be better if Finn testifies at the grand jury, and she says, rather than a white woman, And he's like, yeah, well, how did the iab in go? And she talks about how she's been stressed out thinking about how she handled it, thinking about what she missed, and how she focuses on the victims, and that her own biases are a blind spot and they do they affect her choices and decisions, and Garland says it's a level of community outrage like a freight train coming one pp senses it too, and I'm worried they're interested in the optics more than actual change, and he knows that they're going to sacrifice a few scapegoats without hesitation, and that's why he told Finn that they should both watch their asses, you know, because a lot of times it's like corporations, institutions will just be like, we fired this one guy. Problem is solved, and it's like just full scapegoats. And so now in court, nurse Rudy Sindegard is on the stand testifying that Ericaquino, doctor Eric Aquino is a selfless, gentle soul and his head wound was so severe that he still hasn't regained consciousness and he had anal trauma consistent with sexual assault. Finn testifies that the DNA. Now Finn's on the stand, and Finn testifies that the DNA was a match to Joe Murphy and describes how they found a knot.
Speaker 3: Then a woman in the grand jury goes, I want to ask a question. Can I ask a question?
Speaker 1: And Chrisy goes, oh, you can ask me, and then I'll ask and the woman goes, I'll just ask it.
Speaker 2: And I have never seen this before. It's like an episode of Jerry Springer. This yes, this grand jury is wild.
Speaker 1: I know, like there's I've seen in regular trials where it's like the jury has some questions and they asked through the foreman or whatever.
Speaker 3: But this is just people raising their damn hands.
Speaker 1: And they're in the courtroom with like these weird random partitions of glass for the COVID, and you know, people have their masks half on, half off, whatever. And this woman goes, I want to know if the victim identified his attacker and he didn't, And they said, well, then why did you all arrest Javon Brown? At first you assumed it was a black man just because he was there. And this woman that's asking the question is a black woman. And another woman stands up, a blonde woman, a blonde white lady, and goes, so why should we believe you now? And Careese tries to get them to like rain in the questions, but Blondie is just keeps at it.
Speaker 3: She's like, Javon was only arrested because of that.
Speaker 1: Karen and Finn says it was standard police procedure, and then Blondie goes she knows all about Finn's life. She goes, oh, the same standard procedure you use when you shot that boy's father, another black man shot in the projects, so she's clearly been following along closely, and Finn is like not popping off even though he could. He's not defending.
Speaker 3: I'm selling with his own shit. He is all this guilt. He doesn't want to be up again.
Speaker 1: And then suddenly people, three other hands shoot up in the room, So now it's like, what is this a fucking press conference? Now Finn has to answer all these questions from people. So now outside court, Cariese's freaking out. He's like, this is a train wreck. I lost control of the grand jury. And Finn's like, it wasn't my idea to testify, and Crisy's like, oh, so do you not agree with how Javon's arrest went. And thing goes, I didn't say that, and they're like, well that's what the jury heard, he says. He goes, they're looking for reasons not to trust the cops right now, and when you get in there and testify like you're being held hostage, it doesn't help me get an indictment. And then Rollins is trying to defend Finn, like, sorry, we didn't have this case all wrapped up neat in a bow for you, and Carisy goes, no, if Finn would have told me that he had second thoughts about how Javon's arrest went down, and Finn goes, maybe you should know, after all your years as a cop, you never saw black cops stand back during a stop and frisk. And Christy goes, what's this have to do with me? And Finn goes, I don't know. You take the cop out of Satin Island and Christy goes, you call me racist, and Rollins has to break the shit up. And then Fredo shows up at that time, smug saying, you know what, Joe Murphy has decided to testify, and they're like, well knows he waves his immunity right, I don't know why he would have even had immunity, but if he's gonna testify, Fredo goes, buckle up, Sonny. So why is the purp walking into a grand jury? That's suspicious, that's weird. So now they're freaking out. Carisey's like they're rolling the dice that I won't get this indictment like shit, Like already things are going bad and now I can tell everyone thinks I'm gonna lose this. So now we're back from commercial break and this little freak is on the stand and he admits to lying to the police. He says he met a Chino at a bar, they walked into the park together. He also said he lied about what happened there. This isn't easy for him. They were drunk high, he initiated a sexual encounter, which you also lied about, Careesy reminds him, and he goes, I was ashamed. I didn't want my fiance or my mom to find out that I'm by and Careese so subtly, sarcastic goes, I appreciate your bravery and coming out here. Come in outing yourself here today, But tell us what happened afterwards. Joe's like, nothing happened. I zipped up and went home to my fiance. I have no clue what happened to Eric after that, and he goes, didn't you tell detectives that Eric got aggressive and you pushed him off?
Speaker 3: So you lied about that as well.
Speaker 1: And He's like, I was just telling you what you wanted to hear, and Carisee goes, it sounds like you're admitting what you can't deny and denying what you can't admit love that phrase. Great great little, great little ism there, Careesy, and he goes, so why should we believe you now?
Speaker 3: And then he drops the bomb.
Speaker 1: He goes, my confession was coerced one of the cops to me. They were mad at me for filming Javon's arrest, and I was going to take the fall for it. So even though Eric Aquino is in a coma, a victim of rape and assault, you're the victim here, Careese says, and Joe goes, no, we're all victims here, Eric, Javon, and me. Careese cuts him off. But some random grand jury member is like, excuse me, let the man finish again. Didn't know you could just pop in and tell the prosecutor to shut up, So again I so. Then Joe continues, I'm horrified what happened to Eric, But I did not hurt him, and that's why he came in here to testify, even though his lawyer advised him not to.
Speaker 3: The cops are lying to you.
Speaker 1: I'm not like he's basically peddling on the national sentiment of cop distrust right now to get away with a crime that he committed. So that night, Rollins goes to Caris's office. The grand jury has been out for a few hours and for a grand jury, that's a lifetime Caresee says he's pissed.
Speaker 3: He goes to Skylight and.
Speaker 1: He played the jury and the more I want he knew exactly what to do. The more I went after Joe, the more the jury sympathize with him. They're just also mad at the NYPD. They want to punish us, and then Fredo shows.
Speaker 2: Up to break them swear it's like, you know, they're setting themselves up as the victims as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, Fredo shows up to break the news that the grand jury did not indict so Joe Murphy walks should have.
Speaker 3: Taken the miss d kiddo.
Speaker 1: And then someone has to tell Eric's family what happened at the hospital. Eric's mother is furious. How did this happen? They explain, he tried to say the police framed him. It's a complicated time, Kat explains. The brother gets pissed, NYPD fucked this up. If you hadn't arrested Javon, one of this would have happened, would it. Kat can't answer them, and neither can Rollins. But at the same time, it's like your mom herself was like was it the black guy in the park? Like everybody has their biases here, you know. So at home, Noah is on his phone watching a video and it's bedtime and lives like what you watch him, babe, And he's like a video of you arresting wrong guy. Every kid at school has seen it, and she asks if he wants to talk about it. He's like, are you racist? And she's like, come on, you little bit, you know I'm not racist. And then he goes, did you tell the guy that you're sorry? And she's like, well, my boss has told me not to talk to him, and he goes, well, that doesn't make sense. You always tell me to apologize when I do something wrong. So the next scene gorgeous scene, hats off to the cinematographer. Seven am in Central Park. Benson shows up to where Javon is working out. The light is beautiful.
Speaker 3: She thinks.
Speaker 1: He thinks she's like there to pressure him into dropping the lawsuit, and she's like, I'm not and he goes, well, I bet you heard I got laid off somehow. It was in all the papers that I'm in, na, how did that get out that's fucked up, and then well that could get out. That could have honestly been anybody in NA being like, oh that guy in the viral video is in my NA, you know, like it could be a lot of people do know it is supposed to be anonymous, but when something goes viral and people are you know, clout chasing, who knows. She apologized and goes, I can call you yet the.
Speaker 2: LA meetings are not are not anonymous? People love to talk about celebrities in the meetings. Yeah, it's really crazy. Actually, yeah, it's bad.
Speaker 1: She apologizes and is like I can call your boss, and he's like, stop, you've done enough, and she's like, I just want to let you know that the DA is pursuing charges against Colleen Reynolds the Karen for filing a false report. And he goes, okay, so I lose my job. Murphy walks and now you guys just get to distract everybody by going after this woman, and Benson goes, listen, I know the NYPD has and then she stops herself and she goes, I have a lot of work to do, and he goes, yeah, you do, and he jogs off and leaves Benson standing there looking stunning in the early seven am morning at Central Park light and that's Dick Wolf, Baby.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really like they do.
Speaker 1: The cops lose the indictment and this guy gets away with it. But they all do have to kind of like interrogate their bias, you know, and like figure out how they have to go more by the.
Speaker 3: Book, you know.
Speaker 2: Do you feel bad for Noah for a little bit at school? Everyone?
Speaker 1: No, I'm like, your mom has saved you from fucking kidnappers and done so much shit for you, and like there's a video of her making a bad mistake, like making up bad choice or whatever.
Speaker 3: But you know, I never feel bad for Noah. Just kidding.
Speaker 1: I don't want him to get bullied when he like when he likes to dance. I don't like that part. I want that to be good. But take us through the crimes, babe.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So we all obviously know what this is based on the Central Park bird watching incident, so I'm gonna save that for a second. So this case isn't that connected, I guess just because it's like Southeast Asian connection and gay connection, but not so much of the case. I don't know you guys, you guys be the judge, but I thought it was interesting enough to just talk about. So it's the Rainhard Snaga case. And so Rainhard Snaga is a guy that drugged and raped young men in England.
Speaker 3: For twelve years.
Speaker 2: See how it's like, it's not really the same thing, and a part of me wasn't going to and then it's like whatever, we're all just interested in things anyways, So he would. But I also I am wondering why they put it into the wiki because is it because they're Asian?
Speaker 3: What's going on here? Is the Asian gay? That's it? Like I don't know, but well.
Speaker 1: He was also targeting bisexual men. It could be like the whole thing of like being by and trying to like hide that you're by or I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, So they just be straight up races, although sometimes they like reach for connection.
Speaker 2: Who knows. You'll keep me, you'll keep me on, you'll let me know. But I'm glad I read you know. It was one article.
Speaker 4: So he.
Speaker 2: Would loure intoxicated young guys to his place before drugging them and sexually assaulting them. He was originally from Indonesia from like they put in quotations, relatively wealthy family, so I don't know what that means, but they loved church. And he was studying for a PhD at the University of Leeds and he would commute monthly from Manchester, so like he lived. I guess the city is Manchester and he is, Yeah, and then so he would like go to Leeds. He would approach the men in the early hours of the morning outside of nightclubs in Manchester, and then once they were at his place, he would lace their drink with GHB and then film himself raping them while they slept. His victims were unaware they'd been assaulted.
Speaker 1: I mean I could see this guy doing that, the guy from the episode.
Speaker 3: He seems terrible. He seems definitely terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like him getting away with this is going to cause a lot of crimes in the future because he already has like white guy bro vibes, and like now he's going to be so emboldened to whatever the fuck he wants, and like how he's a hero, He's gonna be like a by hero. So like this gets really fucked. Okay, I mean it all is fucked, but I'm just giving people a heads up so they The attacks came to light in twenty seventeen after an eighteen year old victim woke up at six am while being assaulted, and the victim managed to fight him off and then grabbed Snaga's phone before leaving the apartment, so like a genius. And then he went to the police, who then discovered three point two nine terabytes of graphic material on his phone, which is equal to two hundred and fifty DVDs. So he was taping all of them.
Speaker 3: I mean, cut to me.
Speaker 1: I have to take my photos off my phone every year. I have no space. Most phones have like sixty four megs on them. This guy has some kind of wild phone that's holding mountains.
Speaker 3: Of assault videos. Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because in some cases the assaults lasted for eight hours, and and then in some cases the men were like vomiting during the rapes, snoring during the rapes.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my god, I'm so glad that this guy stole the phone because they might not have even have known that he had all these other victims.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so he was sentenced to life after being found guilty in four separate trials. His defense was that the men consented and were pretending to be unconscious to fulfill his fantasy, to fulfill his fantasy, so like that didn't really hold up in court. He was found guilty of one hundred and fifty nine counts of sexual offenses against forty eight different men, and they feel like the victim count is higher about like men who didn't want to come forward like that are in the closet. And then he must serve thirty years before he's even considered for release, which for the UK is huge. Like I feel like they really love to let a sexual predator in and out. Ian Rushton, the Northwest Deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor, said to CNN to CNN World, his extreme sense of sexual entitlement almost defies belief and he would no doubt still be adding to his staggering tally had he not been caught. So he was like taking drunk jews and like being really helpful, and I said, like, oh, you could crash with me, like stay with me, you could be safe with me, Like it wasn't even all like come ons, and then yeah, really like crazy, but he's in person, so that is good and good that this guy woke up like he would this guy would still be at it, Like he would truly still.
Speaker 1: Be at it.
Speaker 2: So obviously this is like so on the Central Park bird watching incident. Christian Cooper is a black man and he's a burner who is in Central Park and this is like May twenty twenty, and so he is a Harvard graduate and is on the board of the New York City Autuband Society. So these are nerd birds, Okay, the nerds. And he's been birding since age ten, so he's loved that. He really couldn't stop.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 2: Both his parents are Long Island teachers and they enrolled him in a four h program and then he built a wooden bird feeder and set it up on his lawn and then he became obsessed with all the creatures that flocked and that set off this fascination for him. And yeah, four decades in counting. Like he's just a hot guy who loves birds. He's very cool. And he worked as an editor at Marvel Comics and he created one of the first gay characters in the Star Trek universe. And this is I know, and this is after getting a political science degree. Like he's yeah, does lots of stuff and so he basically asked a white woman, Amy Cooper and no relation obviously, so Chris to leash her dog, which is a rule in this part of Central Park. I know in the mornings they have like before nine am, unleas.
Speaker 3: Like they have all these things.
Speaker 2: This is a place, the rambles like, it is a place and I'll get into it, like this section of the park as dogs are required.
Speaker 3: The dogs are required to.
Speaker 2: Be a leashes an all time because I guess it's like more woodsy and natury than the other parks or something like other areas. Okay, so she refused to leash your dog, which is already like so fucked up. So he took out his phone and started recording, and that's when she called the police and raised her voice and started acting all hysterical, so like she went from zero to one hundred, and then while dialing, she says on the recording, I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life. So this was at eight ten in the morning on Monday in May twenty twenty. So yeah, this is a semi The New York Times described this place as a semi wild place in the park, and the dogs are required to be leashed at all times. He then got treats out for the dog and hopes that she would stop the dog from going to him and leash the dog with this, and he did it all the time because I guess this happens constantly, and this quote is tough.
Speaker 1: I will wait, wait, wait, explain that to me, like why would you Why would a dogs stay away from you if you have a treat for it.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't The dog would want to run to you. So in hopes that the like owners of the dog then like get their dog, like hold their dog where it's like, oh, you want to fuck around.
Speaker 3: So this was his quote.
Speaker 2: Look, if you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want. But you're not going to like it. So that's not like a that's like a weird way to communicate, I will be honest.
Speaker 1: And he's bringing the treats to like entice the dogs to run away from their owners, and.
Speaker 2: And then the owners like grab your dog and then leash them. It's kind of just like you want to fuck around, we can fuck around, you know what I mean? And so he cares. So this is the thing he says he carries the dog treats for this exact reason, because like because then she did leash her animal. So his thing is like, I mean, I don't get this plan, but I've not been a burder for forty years, so like I think it's probably how like bicyclists, deestrians, and cars don't really get along. Like I think there's a long gooing battle between dog owners and burners.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there's also like for someone that like I don't have pets on I never have, but like, at least where I live in LA, people are so entitled about the dogs. Dogs are not allowed at a bunch of rec centers. They just people let their dogs run around. They will jump on kids while they're in the outfield playing baseball, like and the owners will just be like sorry. I mean, my friend at her building just got bit her and her dog got attacked by a dog, and the owner was like, oh my bad. Like It's like a lot of people are just kind of like we'll see what happens and then sorry, Like there are places I'm not allowed to go in with my children. There are ways I have to have my children mave like, and I feel like dog people are just kind of like now we can do whatever.
Speaker 3: Not all dog people, excuse me, certain dog people.
Speaker 2: No, there's definitely like well trained dogs. And I actually just saw a video a girl was like recording her own self and a man's dog, like you're saying, like ran up to her and then she and then he ran the dog ran back, but like she shook her head and the guy was just like, are you shaking your head?
Speaker 3: Are you shaking your head at me?
Speaker 2: And she took off her headphones and was like what and he said it again, and she goes, I'm listening to music, but it's like she was shaking her head. Do you leash your fucking dog unless it's like the designated time.
Speaker 3: Or do you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I also I do bits about it, like if your dog is really well trained and behaved, like that's cool, Like I do you know that that is different? But I don't think a lot of people are willing to admit when their kid or dog is badly.
Speaker 3: Behaved and that it's a reflection of them.
Speaker 2: But I was just with people on the street and like a guy was trying to show off that his dog wasn't unleashed, but like he's on second half, and it's like, what are you trying to prove? Like it's busy, cars are whizzing by, like leash your fucking dog, like for his safety? What if a squirrel runs? Like I don't know, I just yeah whatever. So this is just his always plan is like to have these treats to be like, you're not gonna like it if you want to fuck around, and then they end up getting their dog. So but that is a weird way to word it because she uses that against him later. So okay, so then she calls nine one one. She claims he was threatening her and the dog, and then she did finally leash the dog and then you hear him say thank you and the video ends. He just wanted her to follow the rules and he is in charge of the Uh what is it? Abadan Audoban I've never heard. I never heard that word in my fucking life.
Speaker 1: So the Audubon Society they have like coffee table books and stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I there's some comedians who are birders. Ashley Hamilton, part of Good Noticing Spot is loves a bird. Joe Zimmerman's a birder. I'm trying to think who else goes in bird woman's a birder.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, yea, the birders are out and about we're hitting an age.
Speaker 1: So I mean he now with these and now with the what's it called the bird the bird cam thing that everybody has, Like now there's like these feeders that are like everybody has them now where like you can just look at the feed of like your bird feeder.
Speaker 3: That is cool, bird buddy or something like that.
Speaker 2: Go on, So ends the video. This quote comes out of nowhere. There's I don't know why I wrote. It's a good quote, but he basically in the Times is like, I'm pretty adamant about not being a participant in my own dehumanization.
Speaker 3: And I liked that.
Speaker 2: Just like in the aftermath and everything that happened, the cops came, no summons were issued, there was no arrests made, like nothing happened. But the video was posted onto Twitter on Memorial Day by Cooper's sister and immediately got tens of millions of views. I think Cooper obviously the man, the man. Okay, he's the one that taped it. Yeah, so his sister posts videotape I forgot, yeah, yeah, she like called the police and was a white woman claiming that she felt it like it's just yeah. So then within twenty four hours, Amy had to give up her dog because then people like searched her Instagram and saw that she wasn't like treating the dog well, and so she gave it back to like the society that she like adopted him from. She publicly apologized and then was fired from her job. So that's within twenty four hours of this video. And obviously everyone called her central part Karen, and it was just like this was I have such vivid memories of this. So our dude was actually really taken aback by the retribution and is even quoted in the time saying it's a little bit of a frenzy. And I am uncomfortable with that. If our goal is to change the underlying factors, I am not sure that this young woman having her life completely torn apart serves that goal. I mean, he's like a genius, he goes, I'm not excusing the racism, but I don't know if her life needed to be torn apart, and more quotes from him, I don't know if it was a conscious thing or not. But she did it, and she went there. She thought she could be Marshall to her advantage. Does that even make sense? She thought she could.
Speaker 3: Marshal to her advantage? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, is that what I said? Whatever you got? Yeah, and it didn't work.
Speaker 2: I like she obviously it's like hoisted by your own petard. It's like you're using your own privilege that you know you fucking have. There's a reason she said African American twice.
Speaker 3: And I did you so mad that someone just asked you to follow the rules? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And that it was And if it had been like another white woman, I wonder if she would just have been like, yeah, well and then moved on. But because it was like this black man deigned to tell her that she has to do something.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's like definitely her biases.
Speaker 2: Like I doubt she knew he was the president of the Bird Society, you know what I mean, like and went to Harvard and all these things, and like those things shouldn't matter. You're allowed to be like an uneducated idiot and still be treated with respect in the world and not be like people be scared of you.
Speaker 3: But she probably.
Speaker 2: Didn't think that he was like a fucking genius, beloved, cool, creative guy. You know what, I mean, yeah, who's still at her side? So then Professor Catherine Russell Brett not her side, but like he was, he's and I'll talk about this later, but he didn't particip Payton any of the police stuff, Like he was not interested in taking this further. Like he truly just wanted the leash on the dog. Yeah, that's all he cared about, right. Professor Catherine Russell Brown is the director of the Center for the Study of Race and Race Relations at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law. Like the longest intro of a person ever on this podcast, and she's quoted by the time saying it was particularly a punch in the gut for a lot of people. It ties into and taps into a long history of white women, in particular falsely accusing black men of crimes that leads to great harm. And like she knew what she was doing, she knew what she was fucking doing. Like and this was at the height of the George Floyd case, and so it is like, you know, you and Breonna Taylor, like you know the threat Like maybe before that time, even before twenty twenty, like maybe you didn't know that, Like what a threat police were I mean with Trayvon Martin so long ago, but like there is no excuse, like you like, we all know the threat to black people calling polices, and she knew that and she was willing him to die for this bullshit. She was willing to risk his life to prove a point and not leash her dog, you know what I mean, like and used it as a threat. It was weaponized. Okay, this is all because later she's like, she is a dumb bitch.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So and he was back looking at the birds two days later, like when's this epen?
Speaker 3: On a Monday? He was back at the birds Wednesday.
Speaker 2: He was focusing on the olive sided flycatchers and red bellied woodpeckers. She was then charged like they did in the episode, for like attention. So she was charged with wrongfully calling the police, and that never went anywhere, and Chris had zero involvement with the DA's case against her The New York Times again, mister Cooper says bringing her more misery just seems like piling on, and he did not want to be involved.
Speaker 3: In the case.
Speaker 2: And it's also like a really hard charge to convict because authorities don't want to discourage the public for reporting crimes. You know what I mean, Like if you're constantly I mean they do. If it's rape, they will arrest you. And there's a whole documentary, mate, But they they don't want to like straight out like discourage. So the charges were dismissed in February twenty twenty one, after she completed a therapeutic program that included an instruction about racial biases. She was eventually reunited with her dog as well from the rescue group that took the dog away. Then, of course, May twenty twenty one, she sues her former employer for firing her because she was a victim of racial discrimination. She says they didn't investigate it thoroughly because of her race and gender and that and reached a decision to terminate her because she is a white woman. She then in November, oh, Pudding, I'm so sorry for your your trauma.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So November seven, twenty three, she wrote an essay for news Week and it ain't and the New York Post picked it up, and yeah who news and so oh yeah, yeah who they picked it up, and basically it's just like really okay, So she blames him for the treats and yelling at her, and that she is a victim of sexual assault and was a lone woman in the park and she was scared. But it's like your fear, I don't know, Like again, are you weaponizing something else? Or him saying I'm going to do something you don't like is weirdly worded, like I if, I don't know. There's just so much other context in other things she writes, where it's like I just don't believe you in any way, And you didn't sound scared. Your voice went from calm to shrieking in an instant to to do this report Like I don't know, So she said she was scared, but you know, I do want to believe victims, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is like a tough moment.
Speaker 2: So I mean, all of this is fair, but again, call like saying African American twice, you know, she says, she repeated saying African American because of the show body service in the park. Again another excuse, like this is the thing like are you sorry? Did you take your racial biases class? And are you dealing with this or not? And it's it's obvious not, she says, she She then he says that he admitted to instigating the incident by saying he always carries dog treats to lore leashless dogs. She used that to say she wasn't the only person he threatened in Central Park. But it's like, follow the fucking rules. He is the president of the bird Society. I don't know what to tell you. He knows what he's doing. So she then complains that he refused to talk to her after when she tried to connect with him, and he said that he goes She's tried to connect with me, I have no interest in talking to her, Like he doesn't care about her. He only cares what birds okay, Like I don't know. Like that's another thing. It's like she feels owed to his time, his education, his everything. Like so she's like, he refused to talk to me. I've tried to connect with him, and you know, She's like, I was open to an honest and productive conversations to which he is not interested in in the slightest. And it's like, why does he owe you anything? You called the cops on him. He wants nothing to do with you. He thinks you're an idiot. He thinks you're a loser and an idiot and still went out of his way to defend you in the New York Times. Yeah, but nothing was no summons, nothing was written, like nothing happened, like no one cared. Because this reminds me there's another girl. She was a black woman and like a white woman called the cops on her for shooting golf balls in the park. I don't know if you've seen this. And then when the cops come, they're not golf balls, they're obviously squishy balls.
Speaker 3: She goes, yeah, I would never do that. They're squishy balls.
Speaker 2: And so they arrested the white woman for calling the cops for no fucking reason, like you know, but she was.
Speaker 3: Like, we're wasting the cops time.
Speaker 2: It's just dangerous, Like she knew she was doing nothing wrong, but it's like you are putting these people in danger knowingly with your power and privilege. And that is why black people can't trust white people. I mean, at the end of the day, it's like the white women that voted for Trump, like you could feel as good as you want, but our proximity to like power because of our whiteness is just like too powerful, and white women choose whiteness over black people all the time, all the fucking time. It's like crazy, But like then to after all of this, think that he needed to have an honest and productive for who what kind of convo? Like you aren't even taking responsibility, yes, but you wrote She could have written a thing of like how bad if you're going by weaponizing my whiteness, by putting a black man in danger, by understanding what police and like police brutality means, and all of these things, But instead she writ this is her one piece three years later, and she is the victim of it and trying to shit on him for luring and fighting with dogs and like wanting a convo, and he's a dickhead for not giving me more time. And that's why I like that the dude didn't want to talk to Benson. At the end of the episode where it's like you're not owed this, You're not owed black people's time, she says she was traumatized and terrified, and he is a constant threatener of dog owners.
Speaker 3: She then that are not following the rules.
Speaker 2: She then says there's but I do love a service dog at an airport misbehaving like that that is one of my favorite things, where I'm like, this clearly isn't a work, like a dog that's working, you know what I mean. She then says there's no such thing as a Karen. We're all just people, each of us deserving of forgiveness and grace, and that she feels like she was silenced.
Speaker 1: Like tell me you've learned nothing without telling me you've learned nothing.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then she moved back to Canada where she's from, and yeah, still hasn't really learned anything. She thinks she's a victim. But I also like understand. It's kind of when I talk to Andrew Schultzer, I was like, I understand as a human being, like when people are like you can feel a certain way, like Amy could feel like, fuck, I lost my job, everyone hates me, I'm getting death threats. I'm the Karen of the universe, Like you can feel that as a human, Like I understand, we are all humans, and like consequences of anything can be hard as an individual, Like you're allowed to have these layered feelings, but then you have to work through them, Like you have to get through them, you have to realize that you're not the true victim of something, you know what I mean, Like you can get fired for tweeting something and that's not how you feel, and then you talk about and learn about it and figure it out and then hopefully move through Like I don't know, you can't, just like we're all just people and I'm not a Karen and Ada da. When you feel like you don't, you don't realize the weight of your actions. Chris ended up getting his own TV show on the National Geographic Channel and hosted a bird show.
Speaker 3: So he's like amazing, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, the most amazing way that this could have ended.
Speaker 3: And I hope I see him in New York one day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, sure he's trolling people with the dog treats, but it's like your dog won't come to him, it's off leash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's I mean, yeah, he doesn't just always have it.
Speaker 2: It's like he's not bullying the dogs, he's bullying you because you're a bad owner. Well let's see if the show is still on the their.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: I would still go there's no end there's no end date, but there's only six episodes total, so maybe it was like a limited series.
Speaker 3: He is so cute. Yeah, and he's won an Emmy. He won an Emmy for this or for the Marvel or Star Truck.
Speaker 1: His his I just saw his Instagram, it says, Emmy winning host of Extraordinary Birder. Yes, he won an Emmy and author of the New York Times best selling the More Better Living Through Birding And then he has a go fund me up for kids in the Bronx to explore birdwatching.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I like this guy. I think he's the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like her trying to turn us against him, like he's this bully of dogs in the park when like all he cares about is birds. Yeah, Like his TV show is Birds Notes for a Black Man. And I wonder Better Living through Birding? I wonder what it's about.
Speaker 1: And it's like you, I understand, like people that are victims of sexual violence obviously can have, like you know, a hair trigger response to feeling threatened or something. But why did you feel that this man who was in the park with a pair of binoculars looking at birds, like because of the color of his skin.
Speaker 3: Is why you thought he might attack you or her? You like that is why? Yeah, am I gonna read.
Speaker 2: I'm I've put myself on a break and I am not buying any other books until I've read at least five or six in my collection.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, and then you hold me to it. You can read better Living through Birding right after that, then.
Speaker 2: I will be buying this. Then I will be then I will be watching it. But yeah, I can't believe you want an Emmy. He got a TV show, got this book like helping children, like still on his shit.
Speaker 3: And what she doesn't get is like he could have helped the das.
Speaker 2: He could have gotten involved, he could have been a witness, He could have brought her to court, you know what I mean. He could have done a lot of stuff he didn't want to. He even is quoted saying everyone leave her alone, Like I don't think we should pile on her. Like how do you still years later write that Newsweek thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Crazy, Well, I'm glad that we could do a crime once in a while. That has sort of an uplifting end to it, which is that the Karen had to go back to Canada and the man got a.
Speaker 2: TV show And now a word from our sponsors, JK, I don't know guess.
Speaker 1: No guests, We've got a guest. We've got a guest, So don't go anywhere, okay. Our guest today is an award winning cabaret singer and has performed in musical productions with the likes of Audre McDonald, Patty Lapone and Edie Falco. He is maybe best known for his role with Edie Falco as Thor Lundgren on Nurse Jackie, but we know him today as sane Nurse Rudy Cindergard. Please enjoy our chat with the darling Stephen Wallam.
Speaker 3: So you're drawn to the suburban life, now we are. The short version of the story is my We lived in the city. My husband and I lived in Manhattan, and then he got a job as the artistic director of a theater in Kalamazoo, Michigan, which is where he's from. And this was right before a year before COVID. Then COVID hit and I was lucky enough to actually be with my best friend Kara and her family in Los Angeles for the first six months of COVID. So we had we lost our place in New York. Of course, you know my industry, our industry dried up. There was nothing I ended up moving to Kalamazoo with him for about three years until work started picking up for me. Then we were ready to leave there, and our incredibly generous dear friend Dye Falco said, I just bought a house. There's a guest house. Do you guys wanna you know, come then here. So unbelievably we had this beautiful guest house to stay in. It was supposed to be a short term. It turned into longer. No complaints, of course, And we didn't know Westchester County at all, not at all, and but we found in love with it, and we do like the vibe of I mean there's stuff about the city ms of course, but we're closing up. Yeah, all on the train into the city so I can get in. But yeah, I grew up in the suburban life, so it was weird to be, you know, live in downtown Chicago and then New York and then suddenly kind of go back to the suburban life. But it's great because the East Coast is so different, you know, it's a very different vibe than the Midwest. So so I love it. So that's how we ended up there. I love that it was eighty falco cool.
Speaker 1: I mean, the people's princess. Like if anybody ever tells me something about about her, am and I'd be like, this is I can't I can't hear it well.
Speaker 3: Because it's not true for one thing, you know, and listen. She was my very first experience on television, not from lack of trying Wistner's Jackie. And I was forty and so I had been doing theater. I'd been in the business a long time, but my first experience on a TV show was that show with her at the Helm. And she is the textbook example of number one on a call sheet because she is such a pro and she's so gracious, and I learned so much and it makes every you know, a lot of other sets pale in comparison, or at least I'll say, well, it doesn't have to be that way, you know, when you see any sort of attitude or no, no, no, when you're when you're when you're a true pro and you're a true star, you don't have to treat anybody unkindly. You just don't reason to it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And then that that led into she's become one of my best friends. And obviously she was so gracious to us, and we're still now we're just ten minutes away from where we lived before, so we're still able to see her, and our dogs are still able to see each other, and all the dogs got connected. Love that.
Speaker 1: I mean, we obviously are the Nurse Jackie fans, so we.
Speaker 3: Oh good, Oh I didn't know. I did not know.
Speaker 2: I actually watched it before Sopranos. Nurse Jackie was like my infro to Edie, and I'm the same.
Speaker 1: I've never really watched full Sopranos. I'm only halfway you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had just the show and then got it. She loved the fact that I said. I told her, I said, I've actually never seen the Sopranos and just said, oh, bless you. Yeah, because she got so she still gets tired. She understands it's an iconic role and an iconic show. But you know, when people just know her from that and that's all they want to talk about. She's so happy to meet people that don't know her as Carmelos soprano, then you know. And that was me. So I was able to learn I had no frame of reference, which is great. The whole cast what a good show.
Speaker 1: Well, so how did, like, because I'm so interested in how like you were this I can't.
Speaker 3: First of all, I think that's so crazy.
Speaker 1: This is your first television role is in Nurse Jackie, because you seem like a veteran television actor when I'm watching Nurse Jackie, Like seriously, I thought you and Merrett Weaver and everybody on that show just seemed like they've been acting for since they were one year old, like you know, just everybody. I mean, you had been acting. But like, television acting is different than theater acting.
Speaker 3: I learned trial by Fire. I really did, because I really didn't have anybody sit me down beforehand and say, Okay, this is what to expect, this is what it's going to be like. And in a way, I'm kind of grateful because it really forced me to stay on my toes because there was no time for me to learn, so to speak. There was no time for somebody to sit back and go, okay, so you know this is what's going to happen. No, you are shoved in, go yeah, and you either sink or swim. So it's kind of it and I found that I loved it, so that that helps you because it is such a completely different muscle than being in theater, and quite frankly, I love it because it's a it's a little less work that I'm being honest. You know on stage you've both been on stage, right, I'm guessing, yeah, so you know you've got to put that extra something out there, and then when you're behind the camera, you're like, oh, I can I don't have to work so hard? And I kind of love that the older I got and still do, I don't you know, can I do this with a little less effort and great and get paid for it?
Speaker 2: But what's hard is like the sustaining of energy. I feel like if you're on set all day but they're not using you because you're not that important.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Then you do have to wake up, Yeah you gotta snap into it, but you've just been eating like hot food snacks all day.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And that's why I again, I have no patience for back to you know, sort of attitudes on set when I hear about actress complaining because they've been waiting all day, and I just want to say, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah you've been You get freak mood at all times. You're probably on a very comfortable sofa, right now you get to watch movies on the you know there's free internet. Please don't This is part of the deal. So yeah, you're gonna wait a lot, but don't complain about it, you know, for the most part.
Speaker 2: But you know, we have something in common. I was in Horace and Pete too, you were. Yeah, I was one of the girls at the bar, so we're both in the first episode. And then he kept bringing me back, so I got to watch your best friend Edi act a lot. And then I also saw her in like clogs, and then I was I was like, I'm gonna wear clogs now too, you know, like I like the way she looked in the clogs.
Speaker 3: I was just in that first scene. So were you at bar in that scene?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm at the bar with Nick Depolo, And it was like, I think it was my first gig because our scripted. And then I couldn't believe it because Alan Alda's there and Jessica Lang.
Speaker 3: Oh, It's like really insane, wasn't that? And then did you end up watching the whole thing?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really what Laurie Metcalf and the Karen Pittman episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm obsessed. I mean it's such a It was such a special thing. It was such a throwback to something they would have created in the fifties and sixties, like a playhouse ninety or some you know, it was so unusual, and I just thought it was kind of remarkable, you know, and and weird because you know, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but I had the lessons that you kind of had on Nurse Jackie, where I was like, oh, everyone here is like working for sag minimum. Jessica Lang is napping on a couch. Everyone's chill. So I'm like, oh, so people are chill like, and so when people are misbehaving, I go, well, Steve Buscemi wasn't like it is.
Speaker 3: It was a really cool experience to see people dressing rooms. You know, we were sitting in folding chairs and we weren't we were paid scale. And yeah, now that you mentioned it, I just have to say. That's when I got the script and I knew what the role was, but I hadn't read the script. And then it said and then I forget what her character's name was. I think it was Margaret Margaret walks in in parentheses Jessica Lang, and I lost my mind. She was one of my top three actresses that I were the actor or actress? Who am my kidding? So when I saw that I was going to be in a scene with her in any capacity, I lost my mind. And I still can't believe it. I still can't believe it. And then Alan, then I'm talking to Alan all the you know, I will never ever, I don't care how old I get. Those are moments that I will never take for granted or I will that excitement of you know, ten year old me who dreamed of doing this my entire life. And I'm sitting across the table from Jessica Lang doing a table read and then she she just she's looking at me just like that. You know, I look up and she's just she's just like anybody, looking like what is going on? You know? It was amazing and I never want to lose that. And you know, I think in that case, and even on Nurse JACKI too talking about how there if you see that entire cast, we all came from the theater originally, and I think that makes a huge difference. I think it does. And I think these young kids that often want to go right from school into TV and film and even say, I mean, I remember once on set there was a young guest guest actor who was I think still in college, and I basically heard them say, well, yeah, I don't I don't want to waste my time with theater. I want to go right to it. And I just want to say, oh, dude, you're actually you're you are depriving yourself the experience that's going to help you in film and TV because, uh, casting directors love theater people. I was told that when they saw my resume, like, oh, we love seeing theater credits because there's a different work ethic that's taught in the theater that you know, you know.
Speaker 1: I want to know how this like SVU Park came about for you, because like, to me, it feels like an easter egg, almost like they know that the people that.
Speaker 3: Watch Nurse Jackie watch USVU.
Speaker 1: I just feel like the man diagram of that show is a whole and so like I was like, when I saw you first on your first episode season twenty one, I was like, freak No.
Speaker 3: I was almost like, is this the same hospital? Is this supposed to be the hop where Jackie works?
Speaker 1: Like I would, But then of course you're playing a totally different character.
Speaker 3: I don't know you're have you like? Well, I want let's start. How did it like? How did the SVU park come about? Well, this was an every actor's dream. It was just playing Offer to Love. And it's because of Deer Dear one of my heroes, Warren Light, who was showrunner at the time that I was there, and who started out as a playwright and very good friend of Edie's by the way, because he looked Man, which was kind of the play that put Edie on the map as far as in the theater. So it's you know, everybody's connected. But I didn't meet Warren through Eightie. I met him. He had written a pilot another medical show before he was on SVU. I think, I don't think it was the same time, but and I was brought in for the pilot and it was another hospital show, but I think it was for a doctor this time. I don't really remember. He wanted to cast me in. The director did not, so I didn't get the pilot. And that's okay, it happens. But I would talk to him or see him a bit, and he would always be apologizing that he felt so bad that I wasn't cast in that pilot. I'm like, oh, Warren, it happens all the time, I get it. But he felt so bad. He felt so bad. So then this role comes along for this sane nurse which I had not seen the term before, a sexual assault nurse examiner. And it don't I think it was written as male. I'm pretty sure it was. And it came up and Warren told me, well, this came up, and I said, why are we seeing people? Let's offer it to Stephen Wallam. And you know that almost never happens unless you're you know, Julia Roberts or so I couldn't have been happier. It was just plain offered here and then, needless to say, so surreal to be back in Blue Scrubs again. And I was confused too because and so were the viewers at first, because I don't think my character name, No, it wasn't my first episode. Nobody ever said my name, so I had plenty of people think, oh, well that's where Thor went work now after yeah, after all Saints closed? And who was I to say, you know, well maybe not, maybe that's a little less confusing. So I know it was. It was strange. So I still to this day, you know, and Warren is one of the good ones. He is one of the good ones in this business in every possible way, and I'm grateful to him for so many reasons. So that's how that all started.
Speaker 2: Well, because people also really love him, especially during post COVID era, and probably you were a part of there. But like so he got theater people work and they were back working, probably the quick take of any production, and it's ye, he seems great.
Speaker 3: How were the COVID years of Well, it's interesting because the episode that you picked that we're talking about is my first episode back during lockdown. So I will especially Remae, even though you know my scene is brief. I just have one scene, but I will of course never forget it because it was my first time back and it was the strangest, most surreal day of my life to come back because I had already done a few episodes before.
Speaker 1: I think like, yeah, you had done like three in season twenty one, and this is the opener of season twenty two.
Speaker 3: This is right, and so we're all back, and it definitely I do remember that SBU was, if not the first, one of the very first that was back in production. So to walk back onto a set that everybody's in masks, nobody's getting close. When we started to even rehearsing, and you know, my thank God for Kelly and Jamie who were in the scene with me, because I was so thrown. Everything was so bizarre that I started speaking and it's like I forgot how to act. It was all the logistics around me were so strange that I couldn't just, oh, do my thing. You know, I had like three lines. It was no big deal. I should have in other circumstances. I would have been able to just rattle it off and then we're done. But everything was so strange and I couldn't even remember the lines and they weren't difficult, and you know, we'd cut and or just you know, even after rehearsal, and Jamie and Kelly were so great about saying because they they said they had already been working for a few days or the week before or something, but they said, we, you know, don't sweat it. We feel exactly the same way. We are so thrown. It literally felt like I don't remember how to act in front of a camera now. It's so that was weird. And the fact that you know, when I talk about my first pre COVID experiences on SVU. You know that that craft services and lunch. I'm sorry, that was a Vegas buffet every time. I had never seen such an incredible layout. And I'm talking it was one time for lunch there. I'm not kidding you. There was like a waffle bar. There was you know it was. It was out of the love Boat buffet. You guys aren't old enough to remember love Boat, but you know, I just unbelievable. So to go from that to what do you want for lunch? We're going to bring it to you. A PA is going to bring it to you in a styrophone box in your your dressing room with everything closed off. You know, I of course will never I'm it was kind of crazy that this is the episode you picked because it all came. I hadn't watched the episode since it all came flooding back to me and even I'm uncomfortable watching myself in this episode because I I remember how awkward and uncomfortable I felt, and to me, it may not show to anybody else.
Speaker 1: To me, the performance is not oh see, I feel like because we all knew how traumatic New York was for people, but especially healthcare workers, and I like thought your performance was great because I was like, you were showing like the I thought you were showing the like not only is does it seem like this guy was your friend who's been attacked and is now in a coma, so you're upset, but it's also like this on top of the horrors that I'm seeing all day long, every day, okay, in an emergency room.
Speaker 3: Like you know, I'm very grateful to hear that. That's great, you know, but it's hard to go back and because I rarely, ever, ever, for anything, go back and watch an old episode of mine usually, so I'm always going to be very critical. But that's great. Where were you that day on set?
Speaker 1: Because that happened the way, like, I don't know, the way you were talking about Edie Falco before sounds like what a lot of people talk to say to us about Mariska Hargitay like and that kind of was like, yeah, Like, I mean, well, when you say like, because we've been saying that since the beginning. One of the big things after like the fiftieth person that was like she's an angel on Earth. I was like, that just goes to show that when you hear about some number one on the call sheet acting like a jackass, that that's just who they are.
Speaker 3: That's not the stress of the job.
Speaker 1: Because this is the person who's been leading this show for twenty seven years, and everybody pretty much we've talked to said she's the best person and leads with humor and grace and this and that. So if you can do that and not get burnt out or an attitude problem, then you're.
Speaker 3: Just a jay Amen. Exactly right, exactly right, because if she, of anybody you know, you would think, well, by this point, certainly she's over it. She's going to be cranky, She's going to be completely the opposite. She is. She is she I don't have enough great things that say about her. She made me feel so welcome what she did. And this isn't me bragging about myself at all, because I can't stay I'm doing that just as many insecurities as most actors do. And you know, I throw it out there, hope, hope it lands, and you know, what can you do? But I think it was my second episode with Mushka where she just sort of after take and it wasn't that there wasn't necessarily anything dramatic that I was doing. It was another walk and talk with the she and I and I'm describing what's going on with the patient, and there's some medical jargon there, and and then in between the we cut, and then she just kind of made this announcement about you know, Warren. I don't know where you got him, but he and he is exactly right for this role and his compassion and his and I was she didn't have to do that. She didn't, And I didn't think I did any thing special. I really didn't. I still don't think I did anything special. But the fact that she took a moment in front of everybody to make me feel like a million bucks wow in seeing whatever it was, you know how many twenty one, twenty two, I don't know. She didn't have to do that, and most stars aren't gonna do that because you know, it's unexpected. So that in itself, but even if she hadn't done that, she she greets me so warmly, a big hug. She's looking right in your face. She's got a lot of work to do, but she'd never she she always takes a moment to acknowledge, Oh you're here, I see you glad you're here. How are you? Let's get to work, and that means everything. That's all it takes. You don't need to have a star sit and become you know, and talk to you for an hour. There's no time for that. But and I'm telling you, and going back to our misogynist, you know, uh, in the world that we are so up and in, they're there, you know, she she is, this is her show, this is Nobody knows that show better than her, nobody. So she comes in and she she has her finger on every aspect of it, and she is she speaks her mind. But it's always she's always right. It's it's never about where's Murska's cappuccino? You know what I mean? It's always about Okay, wait a minute. That doesn't really work because shouldn't he say this? And and I personally, I think there's some actors that can be thrown by that because it's quick. It is TV is quick in general, and a show like this, the procedural, you know, there's no time and you're getting a lot of stuff out, so any any minor problem has to be fixed right away. So there's a directness there. But to me, I'm excited by that because it's somebody who knows what they're talking about, and it's all for the good of the whole thing. So now, if it were a man, I don't think anybody would blink an eye, you know, but people are still I don't know if you two have an experience with this being females in the world at all, but uh, you know, there are plenty of people that that can be feel off. You're thrown off by a confident woman who knows what she's talking about, and I and that that's exactly who she is. And yeah, and I dare anybody to to say something negative about her on that show, because I really knock people.
Speaker 2: And yeah, no one said there's been a speech though that's special for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one said kind of giving them up that I just again, I'm I I that was so unexpected and unnecessary because uh, but it meant. It meant something to me. It really did, because we we so often and I'm sure you both can appreciate this too. Doing what you love to do. Sometimes all it takes is just one person saying, oh, great job. You know, it doesn't have to be even bigger than that. Just looking you and the ID saying that was great, thank you. So when somebody goes out of their way to say that in front of other people, when it so rarely happens and there's not really time, that's why it sticks with me. Again, I don't think I didn't do anything emmy worthy in that scene. I didn't. It was I was doing my job. But oh my gosh, how lovely for you to take the time to say you're doing this job great, We're so glad we have you. That that means anything. And I tried to do that to other people if I'm in that position, because I know that's in this world. That's sometimes all it takes is that was great, thank you, You're welcome. I appreciate it. It whatever so simple as that.
Speaker 1: I sort of feel like they're primed to make there be an episode where you have a bigger you have a huge like a big do you know what I mean. It's like there was a guy who was Taru, the technical He would come in and like do the computer stuff, and then he had a personal thing where his nephew got molested because someone lured him from a video game, and he was like helping investigate case. I feel like we're close to you having a case where it's someone you know or something happens to you, or like we got to get the mode, we got to get a rooty case that's like closer, or like someone confesses something to you that you can't tell because they've confided in you.
Speaker 3: Like I could see there being something. I would love it. I would love it because I love going back to that set too. It really is, oh, without questioning, one of the nicest sets. And again that starts with Murscott. It just does. It starts from the number one affects everything, and there are so many Now I've not been back. Wait have I been back since Warren left?
Speaker 1: You did season two twenty six? You just weren't on the last season. Okay, yeah, so you definitely have been right, right, Uh okay, I believe you. It's all a blurtout. Yeah again, you know so much better than I do. I don't know what's going it's just from IMDb. I hope they're not lying to me, but yeah, no they're not.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean I would love it and I will go back into any capacity. That's the truth. So I love it. Well, thank you, Rudy Rudy centric.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you want to like plug or promote or anything before you go?
Speaker 3: Not at the moment, because the thing I just got over. Most of my last twelve months has been about I broke my hip in November and no glamorous story at all. I stood up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and got dizzy and fell on myself, so that led to that had to heal, and then I had to get a full hip replacement in May. So my last almost twelve months has been all about recovering from that, which is great. So my my career understandably was So now you're back, you're ready. Well, good, now I'm back and I'm finally feeling like myself. But it felt very covid like in a way, like everything's sort of but it's good now, I'm I am, I'm back. So nothing to plug yet but hopefully soon. Well. Well, I'm so glad you're all healed up and ready to hit that. Thank you. Yeah, you know, chronic pain. It's the son of the gun. I don't care who you are. Yeah, Oh, don't break.
Speaker 1: Anything, okay, good note, good note, Stephen, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: This is amazing, Solungly to meet you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I cannot believe we talked to Thorpe. I can't believe. He was the nicest person on the planet. And I love him, And I just.
Speaker 2: Love people that you could tell they're obsessed with what they're doing and happy. I mean, having a hip replaced and my mom's been there, it's like not an easy fucking thing.
Speaker 3: We need them back.
Speaker 2: I'm like, we need to get He's a veil and I do want a story deeper with him.
Speaker 3: I do. Yeah, I think a male.
Speaker 1: Saye nurse is also good for men that are sexually assaulted, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no. And he's great. I mean he's great in the show. He's great in everything. And thrilled we finally got him on the pod. I mean I always say this, but it's like crazy, We've been doing it for so long. We still get to be like excited about the people we get.
Speaker 3: Still get pumped. I love these people that we get to talk to and that I remember seeing him on the sidewalk, you know.
Speaker 1: And I'm obsessed with like him and Eity Falco being best friends, like if I saw them mount in the wild like together. I feel like I would have a dissociative like episode.
Speaker 3: I would be like where am I like?
Speaker 2: And as he was talking about her, I was like, this is the way people talk about Marishka. It's like these women need to lead shows, and like the reputation is like women divas, but really it seems like anyone that's like a woman number one is kind of killing it. Yeah, in terms of personality and work ethic. Yeah, men are causing issues obviously.
Speaker 1: To do a post mortem on this episode, it's like, we don't need Karen's. We don't need people screaming at black people trying to exist or any people of color trying to exist.
Speaker 2: I mean I talked about this last week that I went to the Giant's exhibit that's like Alicia Keys in Swist Speeds collection, and I cried because it's like like, let people, let black people do regular, ordinary activities in peace. And that was like on one of the placards, on one of the pieces, and like one of Derek Adams, he has this long piece and it's like the Flotation kind of series and it's like just a bunch of black people on pool floaties, relaxing and just to show leisure and then on the bench was like two young black children and they looked at me because I was taking a phot and they're like, are we in your way? And it's like, not only are you not in my way? Like this is all I hope for in terms of like seeing art, seeing other people see art, what it represents, seeing it in front of me, I don't know. It's just like when you don't when you stop to think about the black experience in America for a fucking moment, it's like, can they just have peace?
Speaker 3: Not even in their own home?
Speaker 2: Breonna Taylor shot in her fucking sleep, you know, it's like and they got off. Yeah, it's like, you know, Trayvon Martin just walking in his neighborhood, like it really.
Speaker 3: Is, Like it's devastating, It's devastating. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's why I loved seeing this art, where so much of it is just portraying black people relaxing and living and how that is like.
Speaker 3: Radical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this guy is just a burder, Like this guy was just working out in the episode and immediate suspicion, immediate untrust.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's disgusting. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: And we have to unlearn it, like we are abroad of it, Like I sit and say all this stuff, and I'm sure I have moments where I have to stop myself and go, oh, are you being biased right now? Like you know, it's not like I'm better or I'm above this society.
Speaker 3: I'm a part of it.
Speaker 2: It's like we all have to constantly be questioning what we're up to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I do.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, we do talk about we acknowledge the show as copaganda. But I would wager to say there are other procedural shows that would not take on these issues and then would not and if they did, they would twist them in a way to be like, well, the cops are actually the good the good ones anyway, Like at the end of it, Benson is saying, I have a lot of work to do, and so does every cop you know, And I think those moments on the show make me kind of are like why I think that this show, even though they are, you know, glorifying a few specific police officers, officers of the law, I do think that you know, they they are taking like these cops take some accountability, which is a further fantasy of the law, you know what I mean, Like she's taking some accountability, but then.
Speaker 2: Also like iced tea, like that unique perspective of being a black office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and dealing with all of that constantly.
Speaker 1: As Garland said, yeah, I mean we can't even get started on Noel Wells, like that whole freaking trial we talked about Lindsey Clancy up and like we need the autopsy, we need more information about what happened to this poor fucking boy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's dangerous and that's why like being yeah, like it's not safe for black people to be around all groups because this isn't the first one.
Speaker 3: Remember the photo.
Speaker 2: I forgot the details of the case, but it's like this giant sleepover with grown women and everyone is why and that one black woman is dead and it's died. Yeah, and it's like the not caring. It's like, Okay, something happened with your friend. Why are we not doing everything we can? So he obviously was never your fucking friend or you did it? Like how are you like if something happened to Noett, like why would you be leaving? Why would you have his phote? Like yeah, it's so fucked up. Yeah, So I was just like crying at this museum non stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but well, let's move on to what would Sister Peg do our weekly segment where we direct you to a documentary, an organization, a book, something, because we would like to point you to Christian Cooper's book called Better Living Through Birding. It's a New York Times bestseller. It tells the story of his extraordinary life leading up to this now infamous incident in Central Park and shows how a life spent looking at the birds prepared him in the most uncanny of ways to be a gay black man in America today. So check it out at your local library or at your local independent bookshop, you guys, and we'll to it in our show notes, and then it'll be in a story the day this episode comes out, and all of those are saved in our WWSPD highlights on That's Messed Up Pod Instagram page, all of our highlights save all of our old wwspds if you want to check them.
Speaker 2: Out, Thank you so much, and also check your biases everyone, And then next week we'll be doing our three hundredth episode bang from season twelve, episode twenty two, and yeah, lots of bangs happen in.
Speaker 3: Episode three hundred. Everybody to my God.
Speaker 2: You know that they all fucked each other. Who the three hundred soldiers? Oh my, the movie three hundred.
Speaker 1: I know where you were going with that, Like certain times I know where your mind is going and other times I really don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw a thing like That's why I like dudes used to like all those soldiers would fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's true in like a kill in Trojan War and everything like that as well. That's said to have happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm back.
Speaker 1: Is all long a time, but yeah, we're excited for our three hundred episode.
Speaker 3: We love our tommies. It's going to be a really good one. So better see you there, Bye bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you, so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and.
Speaker 1: To our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork. I thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dun Dun