Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, it's me James and I am joined today by Kirsty Zitlau, who is a boiler water drop volunteer I've done some water ropes together, and also an immigration layer, and we're going to talk about ice transferring people and their detention and generally the sort of post a rival process that migrants asylum seeker specifically faced when they come to the United States. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thanks for having me, Thanks.
Speaker 2: For being here. So I think to start out with people when I speak to them, like in my day to day life, are very unaware of the situations that migrants face when it comes to obtaining legal representation. Right, So maybe we could start off by just explaining that this isn't like if you're accused of a crime rate in theory it's a civil proceeding, but also they'll lock you up, but you don't get a public defender assigned to you. Right, So can you explain someone Let's say someone comes through the hole in the fence in Ciccumbo, Right, they get detained at the o EDS, We give them a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and then they get taken out processed. What happens after that. So from when they come to street release, what in terms of their legal representation, how does it work?
Speaker 3: Yes, so I'll address the street release folks as well as the people who are then taken to ICE attention. Yes, yeah, so I'll start with the street release folks, so they well, first, anybody who irregularly enters the United States not at a port of entry is subject to detention, not just by Border Patrol, but by ICE. The fortunate situation, I mean sorry, the lining, the silver lining of this entire awful situation is that there's so many people coming that there's not enough detention space to detain everybody, and so hence the street releases. So the people can then go directly to their family. They will go with a notice to a peer which starts their immigration court proceedings, which was issued by Border Patrol. So immediately they have to navigate the immigration court system, starting with the fact that the notice to a peer might have a false date on it as far as their court date, So that's the first d it's the first issue.
Speaker 2: So what does that mean when you say a false date? Like if they share upon that date, the hearing won't be happening.
Speaker 3: So there's been a trend over the years to put to be decided as a hearing date on their notice to appear, which is the first document that says, hey, you're now you can put in immigration court proceedings. We'll send you a later notice to your address that you gave us of when you're actually going to have that hearing, or rather the court will. So the immigration lawyer bar pushed real hard on this issue and said, no, this is bs. You need to put a date in time. The reason they weren't is because they didn't want to take the time to coordinate with the courts to make sure that there's actually a judge on that date and time that they assign, So to satisfy the legal requirements that we've pushed for, they often will just put a fake date and time. So, in other words, they haven't done anything to verify whether there's actually a judge sitting at some court that day or time to hear their case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just making it up.
Speaker 3: So this is exactly So this is of course incredibly confusing and very dangerous because they basically need an attorney immediately to explain this concept to them. Because they first of all, won't know how to look for when their actual court date is, which is a link that I don't think Border patrol ever gives them. And then if they miss their actual court date, then they will of course be ordered deported and the you know, then ICE is after them, and really they have no other options at that point. So really the need for an attorney arises immediately. And often immigrants have been robbed, they've paid all their money to transnational immigration criminal organizations, excuse me, so, and an asylum case is costly. So they have a right to an attorney, as you said, but only at their own expense. Yeah, so this is a tremendous challenge off the bat, as you can imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then just to further sort of go down that pathway, the attorney is paid for their own expense. But without an attorney, they may not be able to obtain a work permit.
Speaker 3: Right, So one hundred percent, I mean, navigating the process on your own is as an immigrant, it just it seems basically impossible to me. I mean, there's there's so much that even us as attorneys struggle with that it is, and it's evolving all the time. So even if you managed to submit your asylum application by yourself the process and then later submitting the work permit form and knowing where to send it and how to navigate uscis that's I mean, like I said, it's difficult for us. I mean, let's just say I got a work permit with somebody else's photo on it the other day, so you know, so it's a total mess. And to have an immigrant even navigate that process is it just seems impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I've no, I have not applied for asylum, but when I renewed my green card, I that myself, and English is my first language. I have a PhD. I'm used to paperwork, and it was both scary and complicated, and exactly your whole future is resting on it. It's extremely anxiety.
Speaker 3: By design too. I mean it's it's they haven't updated forms to become a resident since I mean, like the thirties or something, right asked about it coming to possible exactly exactly, and it's all just to make it as difficult as possible in the wait times and everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so how about the folks who go into ice detention there?
Speaker 3: So these are typically people well, I mean that's just the thing. These days, there aren't the typical people who go into ICE attention. It's kind of it seems to me that certainly there's people who are mandatory detention, where if they have a prior deportation order or prior criminal or immigration history in this country, they will probably be detained. But I've also noticed a lot of racial profiling in the detention. I have a few black clients right now in detention, and if they were white, I'm absolutely convinced they are not even white but Latino, they would have been released already. So and one of them is a black Muslim man from Kenya, and he's been called a suspected terrorist by ICE for six months or more that he's been intotention with zero proof whatsoever, and so they'll just hold them for that reason because he's a black Muslim man. So these are often people with very meritorious cases like for example, this man was an opposition party leader and recruiter back in Kenya. So these people just need I mean, whether they win or not win their case or not, can hinge on just being able to get representation, you know, because he's very intelligent and probably would have been able to put together a good case on his behalf. But the stats about people winning cases detained without attorneys is very, very low. So yeah, so then they have to work with a family member on the outside obviously to get a hold of an attorney. Not a lot of attorneys or all attorneys do detained work because it is so difficult to start with, I mean, access to your client is just so limited. And getting evidence, I mean they have to have a reliable family and to support network on the outside essentially to help them get evidence from their home country. I mean, how else do you do that detained And so it's a lot of work, coordinating as an attorney and so forth. So San Diego County saw that need actually started a great program. I'm not exactly sure when it started, but apparently they weren't getting enough applicants and maybe it's been around for a little bit, but they didn't know about it. And it's they set aside like five million dollars to specifically pay attorneys to represent people detained an O time ASIE, which is of course the big ice attention center in San Diego. So that caused there to be more attorneys, you know, or more or slightly more represented people at O taime Asie, which was great. Yeah, because typically when I go in there, you know, this is just anecdotal evidence, You'll see a handful of attorneys, maybe a couple maybe at most like five, and then you see all the detainees, the immigrants sitting there, and there's clearly more than there are attorneys. So you know, I read a stat by the ALU that it's like something like seventy percent as of twenty twenty one did not have attorneys and detention centers.
Speaker 2: Right, so they just won't be represented throughout that process exactly, and certainly, like god forbid, you're a Muslim, Yeah, if you're a black Muslim man, you're like at the intersection of things that are going to have you sent street.
Speaker 3: To do exactly.
Speaker 2: Just to briefly explain for people who an't familiar when we talk about ICE detention, what are we talking about, Like, what are the conditions and who is often operating these detention.
Speaker 3: Centers excellent points. So these are for profit detention centers, So it is operated by ICE in conjunction with two large companies called Corcivic or Geogroup. And if you're not familiar with these companies. Google them and you will immediately be horrified. Yeah, so it's a horrifying state of affairs. Essentially. One of the biggest things in one can google this right now is the wrongful death suits and payouts. So literally the business model is to allow people to die detained as a cost of business rather than give them proper medical care or take them to the hospital and so forth. And they will pay out and they do pay out millions to families. And I've seen this in action, not that any of my clients died, but just the the gravity to which the health situation has to be in order to have a prayer of getting them out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's very sad. Like I think one thing that I come back to now, like four years issh into a Biden administration is that like on one of his first dexutive orders was he's going to end for profit prisons, and he never did shit about the ice detention. Like right from the outset there was like these people are do not have the same right to the people, and we don't care about them as.
Speaker 3: Much exactly exactly, and at this part well and at this point too, it's like, given that he's done a one eighty on anything that was pro immigrant or that he said he was going to do. At the beginning, you kind of start to wonder, is he just being paid off by the same people, by a geogroup or cor civic you know they they contribute millions of dollars to whoever is running for president for good reason. So it makes you wonder from that aspect as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it. Certainly it was in his immigration reform built right between increase the amount of ice, tension facility beds, rush cells or whatever how you want to put that. Hopefully this advert that we're about to pivot to here is not for cour Civic Audio Group, but if it is, fuck them.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 2: All right, we are back and we're going to talk about this process advice relocating detainees. So this is something that you've actually you've done interview about recently, right A. Pece written about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, I did two interviews about it, just because it's an issue very close to my heart. For several reasons. Detained work is very, very difficult, and just the fact that few attorneys do it. I mean more have now in light of the County program. But still it's it's very emotionally draining too. You see, you literally see the decline of the person in front of your eyes, both mentally and physically, and it's just it's take.
Speaker 2: A lot out of you.
Speaker 3: So these people need and deserve representation, and like I said, are often detained unjustly and have strong cases that they could actually win. So basically these people deserve representation and need it the most. I mean, they're basically the most marginalized out of any immigrant there is. So for ICE to suddenly start transferring mass transferring, I might add, represented detainees when they never have in the past, and they haven't their own memo from twenty twelve that says they shouldn't do this except for exigent circumstances, you know, like some and they describe it as some medical issue or something severe that requires it. It's just it's pretty obvious that this is just direct retaliation or just designed to get attorneys out of O Tai, because there's been more of them in there, and we tend to make a stink, and we tend to we tend to ask, hey, why haven't you given a decision on my client's requests to be released, and what's going on here? And we tend to send a lot of emails advocating for our clients, and we tend to be pains in the asses. And before this happened, I noticed that ICE was just not responding at all, whereas I had some relationship with the ICE agents that are at the detention center. Just to back up, every client is assigned to a deportation officer, so you technically have somebody from ICE to communicate with, and they're supposed to be in charge of the person detained, you know, whether they're released or whether the treatment like any they're their point of contact. And so even under the Trump years, you'd be able to yeah, you might have to follow up, but you'd be able to communicate with a couple of them or some of them would do, you know. And so I noticed in the past year or two that this ISS just been kind of this scorched earth approach where they just won't get back to you or yeah. And and they're also not responding to requests to have people released for just months and months and months despite attorneys asking. And so it doesn't surprise me that the timing of this and that they would do this. Now that I'm reflecting back on this as well as the county program. There's more attorneys at O Tai Mesa now and so I mean essentially what happens is if the person is transferred, which they've all been transferred to places like I think Colorado is probably the best option, but generally like Louisiana, Mississippi, things like that. Texas is where my clients are currently. So these are places where you can imagine there's a not a lot of quality immigration attorneys and b not a high chance of winning your case given the nature of the judges that are there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sod migrants articulate to me that they would not want to be in the fifth circuit exactly. Come here in the ninth circuit exactly. They're getting sent right back to the fifth circuit there exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's where my clients are now. And one judge from O Tai decided who scolded me for suggesting that this was even by design. He told me to act more professional. He didn't say anything to the DHS attorney about what his client was doing. It told me to act more professional, changed venue for that client. I was talking about the Kenyan client. And so we're now in El Paso and thank God he has a strong case. But even then I wonder because that's it's I mean, if it's well known amongst migrants, you can imagine how badis.
Speaker 2: If it's someone who knows nothing the US.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, so it's just it's ludicrous that you have, you know, people pretending like a judges, you know, just like this had to happen when you have you know, seventy percent of people you know, at least that's slightly dated, but still I don't think the percentage is that, even if it's fifty percent, why not unrepresented people? So to do this, it's just a very obvious, like fuck you. I mean, it's just there's no other way to to justify it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like when that happened, right, so you have this this gentleman from Kenya who's been he's been transferred to Texas. That then you then have to travel to Texas right for his hearings to talk to meet with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's the whole that's the whole big battle. And I have I have two different clients with two different experiences. So so he I will either have to appear via WebEx from my home. But then the judge now has two people remotely because my client's not an El Paso either. He's detained an Anson, Texas, which is a blip about three hours away from Dallas or something. So they and this is also by design, right, they put all these attention centers in the middle of nowhere because God forbid, the public sees that people seeking asylum are in prisons. So anyways, so both of us are going to be remote if that's the case. So, I mean, I think there needs to be some personal contact and maybe if I can have some communication with the DHS council. I have to go to El Paso to give my client the best chance of something, you know. Otherwise we're both faces on this video with a fifth circuit judge, you know. So the other flip side of the coin was that I have another client who was transferred and his trial is literally around the corner. It's next week. So yeah, he was transferred four weeks before as individual hearings. So I filed something scathing, saying judge, please don't consider changing venue. This is you know, yeah, he's been detained long enough. He's a twenty one year old by the way, I mean, so DHS sheepishly filed something. So Council for ICE filed something saying, okay, well we're asked, we agree to that. We just asked that he could appear via WebEx from ants in Texas. Also, right, so now he's going to be a face on a screen. But I can be at o tie. But still, I mean these are all significant disadvantages. I mean, judges are evaluating immigrants to see whether or not in their mind they're quote credible. That means do they think they're lying or not. That's very hard to do on a video because you're looking for body language, you're looking for subtle things, you know. And also it's just like the human aspect of it is very important. You know, it's easier to deny asylum to somebody on a screen that it is somebody sitting in front of you. You know, there's so many there's so many small aspects, and so ICE claims like, oh well, well you just you can communicate, just fine, you know, you can commune. We'll offer you calls and even video calls. And I'm like, okay, you don't understand anything about being an attorney and what it means to to actually represent clients at the person's final court hearing, they are asked to swear to the contents of not only their asylum application, but also all evidence they filed. And so if how on earth can you show them and sit with them to show them the evidence in person? You know that you can only do and person. So it's just this whole concept that you can that you can even adequately lawyer remotely or over the phone. It's it's just it's not possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially for people who are less, you know, like I spent less time on Zoom than we have in the past four years.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. And a lot of these people are are are traumatized, you know, and are you like, as an attorney, you need to build rapport with them, and you do that by meeting with them in person, otherwise they might not share vital information with you, you know. And and honestly, the family of the twenty one year old mainly hired me to be with him during his final hearing, and so now I can't even do that, you know, just to try to calm and you know, these people are petrified. They've been through so much and now they have to talk about all of it in front of this American judge and a robe from a prison. Yeah, and I have to be their only ally is not even with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like there's understandably in a little country saying something on the phone or on a call might be a risk, right one hundred percent. You know it takes I'm not saying it's not a risk doing it in this country. Like all of these things stuck up against them.
Speaker 3: I spend most of my time telling my clients like, hey, what we discuss on the phone is attorney client privilege, Like nobody could use this even if they try, and it doesn't calm them down because it's just they think they're being recorded, probably from their experiences in their home countries. And frankly, I don't even know if we're being recorded. I just know that it can't be you are it can't be used, you know. I mean so, yeah, there's so many things that go into representing somebody who's detained, and I just knows all of this full well. So this is a very deliberate choice, and it's something we haven't seen before, like ever. I mean, everybody's pretty shocked by this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when did it begin? Sort of?
Speaker 3: I want to say a couple months ago. But this mass transfer they did that sparked us to talk to the press and so forth was over Memorial Day weekend, so they liked to do that too. I've noticed over holiday weekends because last year they were trying to deport a couple of my clients even though they had things pending, and they try to do it over the weekend and so on purpose, right, and so the client's families would call and be like, hey, he's being printed, like processed for being deported, and so we immediately Yeah, I had to do this twice a year ago, so I had to send two emails basically documenting and ceaseeing the ice attorney being like, Hi, they have a pending X y Z case. It is unlawful to stop what you're doing immediately. But like, had we not been notified over the weekend and sent that email, they would have been deported despite having a kid. So this is the type of stuff that regularly happens. But it's very ballsy to me to transfer, Like I think it was probably like one hundred people or hundreds or something, you know, I mean over a Memorial Day weekend, you know. And of course, oh, their memo by the way also says they're supposed to notify the attorneys, you know. I mean I heard from frantic family members who are like, why the fuck am I getting a call from ants in Texas?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh, and this is rich. You'll appreciate this. It wasn't even one transfer. They first went to Eden, Texas, which is another lovely place in Texas. And then a week later we're moved to this place called blue Bonnet because they have to give them pretty names, right, detention facility at Antsen. Yeah, and so I had arranged a legal call at the first attention facility and then had to like do it all, do this process all over again, and they ask you for everything but like your DNA in order to prove that you're their attorney, you know, to get this legal call. I mean I spent two weeks just try to figure out where my client was. And these are two Imagine this is sucked up like all my time since Memorial Day. I mean there's other clients, you know, I've I've been struggling to get to their cases. Like thankfully I haven't had too many deadlines, but I mean it's it's been brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that secks totally brutal, pointing we have the brutal oligation to transfer to ads for a second time. So we're going to do that and then we're going to come back. All right, we're back. So we've heard about how ice A transferring people across two different different parts of the United States. What I wanted to talk about now was another recent development, which was Joe Biden's executive order, not the very recent one on parole in place. People have seen that, but it's one quote unquote closing the border. Can you explain, we haven't really seen that impact on the ground yet, but can you explain these people are supposed to get essentially a document forbidding them from re entering for five years.
Speaker 3: Correct, And it's not just any documents. Yes, it's the worst document. So it is an expedited or moval, which is a fancy term for a deportation order that when issued by Border Patrol CVP, carries with it a five year bar, and so that means you're not admissible in any way, shape or form to the United States, and if you try to re enter during that time period or even at any time irregularly, you will then be put in what's called withholding only proceedings, and that essentially means you were no longer eligible for anything, not even asylum, just a very very difficult form of asylum which is called withholding or protection of the Convention, it's torture, which is also very difficult to win. So that those are the two things you're stuck fighting. And then you are also mandatory attention, so there's no possibility of you getting out unless you're in your case, which is of course very very difficult. So I can I haven't seen this play out, you know, like we're saying it's relatively new and yeah, but I can imagine based on my experience and based on what all of us know, that like, people aren't gonna have any idea what this is, and they're gonna and plus there's desperation and other fact. I mean, they just came through the dairy end. They're not gonna let a piece of paper stop them, you know. So I mean, so these people are probably going to turn around and try again and end up being in this withholding only posture, which means they're now really screwed in terms of having a way difficult time winning any sort of relief, and definitely detained like they will not be released. I've had clients on occasion like every blue Moon be released, but the way I acting these days, I don't think it'll happen. So one of the thoughts I had is this justifying additional detention centers if we're now having going to have probably more of those types of people. But it just in general, I don't see there being a shortage of people they can detain, So I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I think they Yeah. I don't think that we have an option in November to vote for a person who isn't going to build more prisons.
Speaker 3: For refugees one hundred percent one hundred percent, which is which is why. And I think that's something very you know, it can be you can take it and be like, Okay, I'm so depressed, you know, blah blah. There's nobody to vote for, like, you know, because basically Biden has done, you know, gravitated so far to the right.
Speaker 2: I called all the stuff that they waved it up in twenty twenty, sod Trump will do this.
Speaker 3: Biden has stay exactly right, and so I don't even know that I called him Trump light, but I don't even know if he's Trump Light anymore. He's like more like Trump medium or almost there, you know.
Speaker 2: So less racist speeches.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Trump minus the racist spech is exactly. So it's just I mean, so the way to look at this is that like literally we are their only hope. I mean, the government here is not only like not only gonna not save them from anything. They're in creating all these situations, putting them in more peril. So it really behooves us to find all the different grassroots organizations, and there's there's so many of them that we can help and donate involundar teer our time too, because that's literally all these people have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's talk about that a bit. Because something both you and I do as we participate in water drops, in in migrant aid of various kinds, welcome stations of the thing we've been doing recently. You know, you and I were out Now I'm just going to collapses on itself, but we were out in a place near the border. We were there when we met the two Mauritanian dudes. You carried the Chinese exactly. Yeah, Yeah, that was so beautiful, right, Yea, it was such a wonderful, Like obviously it's pretty bleak that the guys aren't able to use one of his legs properly. And yeah, therefore two people who don't and share a single word with him had to carry him. And these two Mauritanian men we met, I'll just rewind to tell the whole story. Yeah, we were driving down the road and we kept meeting groups of Mauritanian refugees coming north and we were able to help them by giving them water in.
Speaker 3: The quick interruption. By the way, I looked up Mauritanian and unsurprisingly they have female general emulation, child labor and basically any like it's just horrific capital punishments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gay people, right, exactly. Yeah, So these people, very very nice, just wanted mostly a bottle of water, and you know how far tw weekend surrounded to border withtrol which is what they intend to do. And they kept saying that there's a guy with a broken leg and we were like, oh shit, but that's potentially fatal in this place that we're at. They just keep saying, go down the road, you'll see him. So we keep going down the road and we come around the corner and there's two guys sort of eat and then a third guy in the middle of them with his hands over both their shoulders, right, and they're sort of humping him down the road. And it turns out that this Chinese man only speaking Mandarin, had he had like a brace or like a like an external fixation on his leg, like like bolts through his leg and couldn't walk. And these dudes have been carrying him for two days and they couldn't she speak the same language like they didn't they weren't able to communicate, and it was the most humane thing, and it made me just so ashamed that like these people, in a time of desperation for themselves, have taken the risk to help other people. And then here's our government just being like, screw you. If you don't belong here, we're going to put you straight in prison or especially these these are mostly Muslim African men from Mauritania right there. Generally sort of that that will be one of the more persecuted demographics. And perhaps you can talk about like how you got into participating in water drops and how other people could do so, or any any form of a direct mutual aid, I suppose says like advocacy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean, I think I think the main thing to take away is the it it's easier to help or participate then one would think, you know, I think you look at this issue of immigration and it's so overwhelming right now, and it can be a bit like, oh God, you know, what can I possibly do? Or you know, and even if i'm you know, what difference am I making?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And it's just like I have the same struggles working as you know, an immigration attorney, because you're just like God, you see just the vast need and you know, you focus on the person in front of you, you know, and not to sound cheesy, but that's the life you can affect. And so we're and all of us collectively have an impact more than we know, you know. So I think that's just the first thing to share. So don't don't feel defeated and think that. Remember that if you have twenty extra bucks a month to spare, for example, like if you donate that to supplies for migrants, then that literally allows the work of water dropping to continue. And you know, that's the other side of the coin. If we can go out all we want, but if we don't have money or supplies to drop, then nothing gets done, you know. So if you live in any part of the country, really you can find a reputable organization, you know, or BRC is a collective. I volunteer with Borderlands Relief Collective and every cent goes directly to the supplies that we drop, and that's a very huge, tangible source of help. All of our supplies are consumed, as you know, within a week or so, we think, you know. So it's just there's so many different ways to to participate. There's organizations that allow you to talk to detained immigrants, you know, like Freedom for Immigrants or you know, there's different ways you can help if you want to communicate with them. There's also Detention Resistance who works with the people mainly in No Taimesa to help just provide even a source of support, just someone a human being to talk to, who can help them with little things like writing letters or putting money in their account to be able to contact family members. I say little things, but those things are huge because if you can imagine being an immigrant in another country and you know somebody in that and you're in a prison, but somebody in that country or a few people are are showing you love. I think at the end of the day, whether you're officially deported or when asylum or whatever, those are the things that stick with people because I know that they're going to remember that probably for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think it's the least we can need to be welcoming with exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: That's why the welcome stations that we do are so beautiful too, right, because it's just I mean what we were doing that day when we met those two people or the three people rather, and it's just like they get a help a loving, helpful person as their first exposure to the United States. And then, you know, I said, instead of border patrol which makes them take off their shoelaces and treats them you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, like their criminals.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's nice like I've exchanged for nubers with those people and they're like, oh, you're the first American they met. You'll always be like my first American friend, someone said the other day. And though that was really sweet.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful thing. It's a beautiful thing. I think about that all the time with my clients. You know, I'm just like, God, I feel so fortunate to meet all these people, you know, from different countries. It's just and I'm embarrassed to say that I have to usually google where the country is, you know what I mean, it's awful. I don't know what our geography education was, but let's just say I didn't get much of it. But you know, just where am I going to meet people from Belize, from Kenya, from Trinidad, from Chad, you know, and be able to really share life with them to a certain extent or you know, I know their most vulnerable and awful experiences. I know their family, you know, or about their families and about them, and it's a really beautiful thing. So it's just, you know, unfortunate. So to have to interact with them and in a prison is just you know, it's just it's just ridiculous, you know. But so that's that why those welcome tables are I think so just pure and precious because at that moment there's no bullshit involved yet, there's no US government. It's just humans interacting with humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it totally is really nice. It's one of the better things that I like to do. And yeah, if you if you replaced where you can do it, you should do it. If you're not, it will be great if you get in your money. I am going to read as we finish up a plug for the Sidewalk School Matamortos and by Noosa. I just want to like they are in desperate needed money right now. They do amazing work with people on both sides of the border. I've been on a panel with Felicia for UCLA that you can find if you're good at googling things. It's on YouTube. It's the Allied Community Arts Brigade. UCLA hosted a panel, so if you if you search that and Border panel, I'm sure you'll find it. And if you want to know more about the Sidewalk School, I recommend it. And we're joined there by people from Border Kindness and Alo Torolado, which are both excellent organizations working on the boarder here. But the Sidewalk School are working with refugees and asigum seekers on both sides of the border in Matamortos and Brayosa, so in Texas, and they definitely need your money. If you would like to support them, you can go to gofund dot me slash zero six, CDC seventy six and we'll include that in the notes of this podcast as well. Kasein, thank you so much for your time. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, James, thank you.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.