Speaker 1: Welcome in What Driving the Great Episode four oh seven. This episode has always is brought to you by our friends at Boost Mobile. Great to see everyone today, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy holidays to everybody again. We are live right now Tuesday, December twenty third, and then we are bringing you later this week our gambling show, so it will be a two show week this week and next is Christmas Day and New Year's Day, both fall on our regular Thursday recordings. Demons, how are you good doing it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Good to see you. Good to see you.
Speaker 1: So I have a very funny story that I will tell later in today's show that I have just shared with some of our great producers at Volume and Blue Duck about a real life scenario where I, forty something year old, long time professional grandfather, national television and podcast host, had to borrow money this weekend to gamble with from demons. That happened, and so and it was as just the way it should have gone. It was so close to being so great, and yet instead it was really was really really was right.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: How many stories have started like that? I was, I was right there, But such is life. So that story coming later in today's show. Right now, we will get to straight to voicemail, brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. Draymond Green ejected himself after an argument with Steve Kerr. The the juice is still worth the squeeze with Draymond, but man, oh man, there's a lot less juice and the squeezings getting a lot tougher, and that you can kind of see how that could end. Anthony Joshua knocks out Jake Paul and I'll be totally honest here. That was we talked about that more? Did we talk about that at all?
Speaker 2: We did on Thursday? We did?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, about the gambling opportunities from that, and that one came through. Now the knockout rounds one through three did not at minus one thirty, but the knockout overall at minus three seventy did. And two thoughts on that quickly. One is I I was nervous watching that because I bet Joshua for knockout or TKO like, but I would not so I would not have won the bet if it went to the cards, which I did not think it was going to. First few rounds obviously Jake's running around. I didn't love that, but I felt like but I also would not have won the bet if Jake got deq and I was worried with him, like consistently like wrestling and falling, that they might deque him. But Joshua called him with a clean right broke his jaw in multiple places. And now I have to listen to people telling me, you know how tough Jake Paul is. Listen. I mean, I don't doubt that he's tough. Doesn't change the fact that he is a clown and the tongue wagging and the whole he put himself in that position to get his jaw broken, got his jaw broken, and people were like, Wow, you can't question that guy. I question that guy plenty. I'm glad for Anthony Joshua and then DK metcalf so he's been suspended for two games. That's gonna cost him more than half a million dollars in salary. It might cost the Steelers. Now, the Steelers if they win against the Bronco I'm sorry again with the Broncos against the Browns. They the Steelers have three ways to make the playoffs. Way number one, they beat the Browns, they're in way number two. The Ravens lose to the Packers, then the Steelers are in way. Number three is Steelers beat the Ravens in Week eighteen. But DK Metcalf obviously won't be playing in those games, so that hurts them a bit. I still think they'll be able to beat the Browns. I don't think it'll be a problem. So I just want to spend a moment here talking about what DK Metcalf did so and reminder everybody like great subscriber review would be a great Christmas present to us if we as we inch closer to a quarter of a million subscribers, we're right short of two hundred and thirty thousand. We're not going to get to a quarter of a million by New Year's as was our goal. If we could maybe approach it by the Super Bowl would be great. We'd have to really pick up the numbers on YouTube, but they much love to everyone who subscribes already. If you're just watching or listening on iTunes or Spotify and not subscribed on an audio platform and or on YouTube, would be greatly appreciated. So, you know, demanse my general feeling on a few of these topics. What is this? There is almost no one more embarrassing to be around or be associated with than the full grown, post college age adult that goes to games to nastily taunt pro athletes. I don't like that guy in any way, shape or form. I think that is embarrassing behavior. I think it is shocking. Listen. I think booing is fine. I think making noise, I think the ACA visional well timed, wise crack. If it's actually funny and witty, I think there is a room for that in sports. But the thirty something year old, and I'm not saying that that's what this guy was, but just in generically, the thirty something year old or old or drunk idiot that is just being obnoxious and making it uncomfortable for those around him. I don't like that person. I also have a controversial belief, which is society as a whole is better if people have a somewhat healthy fear eh, Mike get punched in the face. I think that, like there is the furthest logical conclusion of this is I find no one more abhorrent or a certain a porrent might be the wrong word obnoxious, then the streamer idiot kids that walk around malls and stuff, Yeah, pulling pranks, messing with people with their own security because they know I can't get punched in the face. And I do think that there is a healthy self policing that can be done of if folks know, hey, yeah, maybe I'll be able to press charges. Maybe I you know, maybe it's gonna ruin the other person's next few months. But if I act in a certain manner, I might get punched in the face, nut shot, not stabbed, not kicked in the head while I'm on the ground, but a quick little jab. If everybody knows that that's on the board, I think people will conduct themselves with more grace and courtesy. And we've lost that a little bit, just a little bit. We've become a little too I would say, liberal with words that are being allowed, while a little too conservative with punches that are allowed. Just my personal that's not and I don't mean that in a political sense. I mean they the I think that old sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never harm me. Nursery rhyme did a little damage to a generation guy, and so uh and so I do think they're say it again, you know, yeah, run away correct. I do think there was a At times certain things you deserve to get punched like I.
Speaker 2: And have the facts come out about what was said.
Speaker 3: Like DK was saying that he might have called him something that you never call a black man. He was saying that he just called DK by his original name and is and like his original name.
Speaker 2: So I think that that I.
Speaker 1: Have seen with audio sound like the guy with the blue wig is telling the truth. Yeah, that he didn't say anything about his wife, his mother. He didn't say a slur.
Speaker 3: I think that's also a problem on dkse on DK side because I understand like the fans shouldn't be there heckling, but you also shouldn't put that on the fan that he said that just because you want to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a whole nother thing, which is the if you tell me, and I don't you know, the if you tell me no matter what race, creed, ethnicity, religion, you are, somebody weaponizes that against you in the form of a slur. That definitely checks the box for me of you're allowed to punch that person. You're not. Again, like I said, you can't shoot them, can't stab them, can't if they're unconscious, kick him in the head. But one quick punch to the face. They deserve it, and I don't think a jury of your peers is going to hold you accountable, just like you know what, I'm gonna tell my story. So I now the flip side to that coin is claiming that happened when it didn't happen is an extra type of dirty and that that is from the same branch of something you've heard me say before, which is folks inability to take an l these days, or folks inability to be like I screwed up like that. So again I am I want to be very careful here because I also have not heard DK say that's what the guy said. I think it was o Cho Sinko reported that DK told him, So I don't again, I have I don't know. I definitely don't know what was said definitively. I just know what the audio shows and the video shows seems to back up Blue Wig guy.
Speaker 2: Guy wouldn't have walked up, I feel, And I.
Speaker 1: Also feel like I also feel like there is again you can sometimes tell what was said by the reaction of folks around and the it and so I.
Speaker 2: Feel like, oh my gosh, like, yeah.
Speaker 1: It didn't seem like that. Again, I'm so I the I would not. I don't have enough evidence yet to make my own full mental ruling, but I know which way I'm leaning. Okay, So now that I've laid all this out there, I want to I want to make this point, which is, of course DK Metcalf got suspended two games the NFL. There are very few black in white lines that the NFL in particular has to maintain, and one of them is you can't hit the customers. And I feel more strongly about that, honestly, in the NFL than the NBA, even though the NBA they're on top of the court. Because this is I think you have to get in such a different mind frame to play pro football. It's while you're on the field. I think you have to like Cyche that that it needs to be really really instilled that you can't take that into the stands because I think it can.
Speaker 2: Go massive dude.
Speaker 1: It's a massive dude who's in like a in that moment, like for your mentality, like you know, the We've seen plenty of these guys who in their day to day life are just like soft spoken, quiet, you know, peaceful people, but they have to get into it. So I just think the size plus the mindset, all of that, it becomes really like legitimately dangerous, not fake dangerous, legitimately dangerous. And so I I as soon as it happened, I texted Bruin Wilde. I was like, he's going to be suspended a minimum of the game, maybe multiple now maybe, And I know it voids as guarantees. I actually don't think that matters that much because he's still a really good player. You only don't want your guarantee, like the Steelers want to keep paying him. So that's not going to probably be a problem now next year, if he's terrible or if he suffers a terrible injury, then those voided guarantees could matter. But that's my general take on the DK Metcalf situation. Now we have and even more nuanced conversation to be had about my hometown Kansas City Chiefs and where they're going geographically, and some of this is going to be boring some of them, and you know what I shouldn't say is going to be boring. Some of this is going to be just real geography, and some of it's going to be real politics. And some of this is going to be municipal spending. But I'll make it all good, So go ahead.
Speaker 2: The season for hell becomes more hilatious.
Speaker 3: You guys lost Patrick, You guys lost your backup quarterback in Garda.
Speaker 2: Minshew, and you lost the Titans.
Speaker 3: And it seems like Kansas City Chiefs are no longer going to be in Kansas City. They might be moving over to Kansas in twenty thirty. How do you feel about this development?
Speaker 1: All right, first, let me explain to people what it means. Kansas City Kansas City for all intents and purposes. When people hear about Kansas City, they're talking about the Missouri side. It is where I'm from, so weird kind of border rivalry Missouri or Kansas. But I grew up one block off State Line Road. That is exactly what it sounds like the line between Missouri and Kansas. Now, confusingly and oddly, the Missouri side of State Line Road is Kansas City. The Kansas side of State Line Road is not Kansas City, Kansas. That's a different part. Like there is a small part of Kansasity, Kansas that touches State Line Road, but most of it that touches State Line Road is like uh Leewood or Oleitha or different municipalities. Okay, you guys don't care about that. What you do what does matter is this, The Chiefs are moving about twenty minutes west of where they currently play. So this has no impact on them being the Kansas City Chiefs because they were in Kansas City proper. Yes, but they are still in the greater Kansas City area, just like the same San Francisco forty nine Ers play in Santa Clara. The New England Patriots, which people consider Boston's team, play in Foxborough. Like this is the Detroit Pistons used to play at the Palace at Auburn Hills. This happens. This is not a team moving the way teams move, like Baltimore going to Cleveland, that type of the Cleveland going to Baltimore. Either, That's not what this is at all. Now it does for me as a native Missouri and someone who's lived lived his whole life my dad, it's Kansasy, Missouri firefighter. I lived in on the Missouri side and whenever people say to me, oh, you're from Kansas, I correct them say no, I'm from Missouri. I hate that the Chiefs are leaving I don't hate that Missouri was not held hostage by pro sports owners. And this is where we get into a little bit of tricky stuff. And then we will talk about the football piece of it, because there is a real football piece of it. But this is so teams, because the state of Kansas, via star bonds and other stuff, is going to pay more money for this chief stadium than any local government, which means taxpayers have paid for any stadium in the history of America one point eight billion dollars. And I have always believed that the call it fifteen biggest cities in the country, all of the mayors slash governors of those states should have gotten together a long time ago and said, folks, we need to have an agreement amongst ourselves. We are not going to pay for pro those sports team stadiums because they want to be in our cities. So New York, LA, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, San Francisco, that your major markets pro sports teams want to be there. The idea that they are going to leave is a bluff. If you are a major, major market, so you should never pay. Never pay if you're in one of those markets. If you're in a smaller market. It does get trickier because we have seen teams leave smaller markets. And one can argue, and I have argued for a long time to use my hometown as a example, that the thing that distinct that makes Kansas City different from Des Moines, Iowa, or Omaha, Nebraska is that we have the chiefs and the royals. That's it. We're a two sport pro sport city and there is real economic and civic pride benefit to that. And Kansas City is not a huge market, so you can't just dare a team to leave the way LA could or New York could or Washington, d C. Could because they might leave. The Kansas City has lost teams before, and so I don't think it. While I understand the argument of there are better things to be putting paying taxpayer dollars for that is correct, I agree with that in general. I also understand why if you're Memphis, losing the Grizzlies as scary as shit, and it might be worth taxpayer dollars to make sure they stay. And so I think the math is not the same for mid market and small market teams as it is for major market teams. That's just my opinion. I think I have data to back that up, but it's my gut feeling on having grown up in one of those places and feeling like I'm from somewhere, and because we have pro sports teams and so this doesn't change that for Kansas Citians, they will still be the Kansas City Chiefs. Nobody half the country thought they played in Kansas already anyway, And I don't think I understand the gut reaction people have, and I'm with you politically on this, that it is shameful the public subsidies we will give billion dollar sports teams when I mean the city the state of Kansas has no public transportation none. Don't get mad at me, Governor Laura Kelly, Like, I'm sure there's a few bus routes, but like there are there's there are things that money could be used for that probably would help a greater group of people. I get that, But I also do think that if you're in a city the size of one that a team might leave, losing that team can be devastating to the community. So I do think you have to weigh that the the problem for the cheap for that the Chiefs were able to play into specifically is because they're on a state line, they could play one state against the other and get basically demanse the benefit that you normally only get this type of I mean one point eight billion, it's the biggest public subsidy ever. You normally only get that something like that if you are threatening your fan base with we are moving, like we are going to the Seattle SuperSonics are going to become the Oklahoma City Thunder. Because Kansas City that is on a state line, they were able to get the benefit without ever having to threaten. They were never threatening to move to San Antonio. It's just like we'll just.
Speaker 2: Ext whoever is going to the games previously.
Speaker 1: Right, you still get to play the states against each other. And this has been a problem for border cities. This is a bigger problem when it comes to business taxes and municipal funding. And again, this is the part that could be boring, but I'm gonna give a very simplistic story of what's happened in my hometown. Because it's on a state line, you'll have a business, not a sports team, a business that is based in Kansas, and then politicians in Missouri because they want to say we added jobs to our community will give that business insane tax breaks to move its headquarters fifteen minutes east over to Missouri, and that business can then not pay the taxes it was once paying. It has no impact whatsoever actually on who has the jobs. You're not adding jobs to your community, You're just stealing them off the books of Kansas to Adam and Missouri, or Missouri to Adam and Kansas, vice versa. But it's the same human beings working there, and that has, you know, been That's a problem for mayors and city councils of border cities all the time, like how do we because it ends up being not a zero sum game again, a zero sum for the overall community, but a huge win for the a zero sum for the employment of the overall community, while being a huge win for the bottom line of corporations. But that's a sidebar. Now to the football piece of it, because here is the tangible effect. The Chiefs are going to play in a dome stadium starting in twenty thirty one.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's awesome. I don't know how you feel about that. That's awesome. I love the domes.
Speaker 1: I hate so.
Speaker 2: The snow games. That real effect of the weather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that passion, so the others. Here's the so very short term, very selfish. I like the dome for Patrick's late thirties.
Speaker 3: Oh and then the new guy is gonna be playing in the dome the whole time.
Speaker 1: So if we are just talking about maximizing like Mahomes' career, having the fact that his age thirty five and older seasons will be in a dome is probably good. Yeah, Okay, that's probably good. That to me is not worth the trade off of football slowly but surely eliminating weather as a component, Like I think we are moving towards a reality of in a decade, there are are maybe three or four stadiums in the country where weather plays a part, and I don't like that for football. I think football is a game made to be played in the elements. I don't mind domes in warm weather places because it feels like that's actually like the elements aren't going to be a big issue there anyway, and so it allows you to host more events.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 1: And I don't mind the Dome in Minnesota only because that specific place can get so Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, but it can get so much snow that they have like cancel games, but I guess Buffalo. So it's probably just because I'm used to it. But I don't like football removing the elements and the idea that because they build this stadium, Kansas City is going to get a bunch of super Bowls. It's just not true. I think they will probably get one, and people will complain about the super Bowl being in Kansas City, and you know what, they should because the super Bowl should not be in Kansas City. Super Bowls shouldn't. I'm from there. I love it. Super Bowl should not have ever been in Minneapolis, it shouldn't have ever been in Indianapolis. It shouldn't be in Kansas City.
Speaker 2: The super Bowl sho, what does it need to be in New Orleans? Or wait, what happened?
Speaker 1: New Orleans? Miami, Vegas, LA? That's where the super Bowl elitist? Okay, no cities, it's yeah, I guess. I mean New Orleans isn't a big market. It's just awesome and the and so I think we have seen cities that can do it. And I'd be honestly okay with LA not being included. I'd be fine with it just being Vegas Miami, New Orleans that being the rotation. You can make the argument for Phoenix, but I just think they're not the idea that Kansas City is because they add this is going to be a part of a Super Bowl rotation. That's not gonna happen. Now. It's not gonna be every ten years the biggest sporting event in the country, headquarters in wyan Dot County for in February. It's just not happening. But the big my biggest thing is on the field. I don't like I like that weather matters, and I like that the Buffalo and Kansas City and Baltimore and Pittsburgh and New England have to be able to play in multiple settings. And I just I so yes, I think it'll be good for Pat the end of you know, the last quarter of Patrick's career. But it's to me a bit of a bummer. And the other bomber is this, You're gonna go from eighty thousand seats to about sixty eight thousand, and I'm going to be very interested and I really hope that they that they find a way because I think the tailgating will be great no matter what one thing. Clark KHNT said yesterday. That's true. Is parking lots don't tailgate people do, That's correct. I think the tailgating pregame stuff. I trust they will make sure that stays sacrisanct, because, like, if there's ever a reason to go to an NFL game, going to Arrowhead to tailgate before the game is one of the greatest things in the NFL. And I think that will stay. But I wonder if they're going to be able like and but the other thing Clark said is seats and concrete don't make noise. Fans do. That is true, but certain stadiums are more we're conducive for noise than others. And Arrowhead has been the loudest open air stadium in the country forever. And I just hope they are able to recreate that.
Speaker 2: Is it. Is it going to have a new name, Well.
Speaker 1: I would imagine they'll still call it Arrowhead. They've already kind of sold on that because it's technically Geha Field at Arrowhead. And I've never totally understood naming right sponsorships, Like, I don't know that anyone has paid more attention to the Kansas City Chiefs. I really don't know that anyone in the world has paid more attention to the Kansity chiefs than me certainly, uh since because the stadiums don't even named that for like five years of the field in that time prayer and I still don't. But I still don't know what GHA is. Yeah, if you were like this, I have no idea. I have no clue what the I I don't know. Do they sell insurance? Is it? Are they? I have a colt. I don't know what it is. So it's it's always arrowhead to me. But that's the the positive and the negative. That's what it is. Now. Will Kn't City get a Final four? Maybe? Like will they're like having a domed stadium? There is there are benefits for it.
Speaker 2: The h A is Government Employees Health Association.
Speaker 1: Still don't know what it means. Does that mean they they they? Does that mean they compete with the company that Gronk advertises for So it is they're the competitors of Gronk's company. What's that? What's the Gronk insurance company? Where he's like, I wasn't in the military. Yeah, okay, so EH and U SAA are competitors, all right, good for them.
Speaker 3: Do you think there's I'm sorry, just cut you off. Do you think there's gonna be any teams that hold out on this open air stadium closed team? Like could you see Green Baby? And like the last team with an open open stadium in thirty.
Speaker 1: Years Buffalo's building a new stadium and Buffalo's new stadium doesn't have a roof, right, fact check me on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's good for something then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and butfo yeah, and it's Buffalo. But I I don't know. The Chiefs playing in a dome feels weird to me. I'm sure I get used to it. And if Old Mahomes is just lighting people up, maybe I'll be fine with it.
Speaker 3: But maybe because I'm a not a savant and like a football historian, I just don't see why you would want like and this is like I hear a lot of people that's their take. They want there to be snow, the incluent weather. Why would you not just want them to perform to their best ability like any other sport, Like I feel like there's no sport.
Speaker 1: It's because that's so That's where that's where I disagree with you, know what you're saying a lot of people feel that way. It just it just depends on how you look at it. I look at being great at football intrinsically, meaning that you can have different types of game plans and different abilities in different weather. Yeah, because I think that is part of building a team. I think part of building a team is teaching them how to exploit different weather conditions. I think that is as intrinsic to the game as kick returning, Like that's part of it. And I think removing it people a lot of people feel like, oh, you were move it, and that then makes it more pure. I feel like it makes it less pure. And I I understand in basketball that doesn't exist. Everything the same, all of it.
Speaker 3: Like soccer, like I mean, I don't know if they played definitely they play soccer in the snow or like light snow.
Speaker 2: They obviously can like heavy rain.
Speaker 1: That's fair, but the soccer is an outdoor sport and being able to handle heat is a bigger thing in soccer.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, yeah, the yeah, yeah, I guess I'm always looking for the light show I'm seeing these games.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: That's the way the NFL is moving that. It just bums me out. I mean, but again, I'm a grand poll now.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry to those historians that stuff has changed.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine. Just so many of the like the great moments in NFL history are playoff games in the elements and and that'll be a bummer for me, But you know nothing to cry about. I just I don't love it. That to me matters a lot more than the fact that they're moving twenty minutes west across state lines. Want to know where I bet on sports during the holiday season. Hard Rock Bet, not just because it's the presenting sponsor of our show, but because they make it easy to bet both pregame and live. In just a few simple taps, open the app, find a bet I like, and then bam, bets placed just in time for when you get back to wrapping present and enjoying my favorite Christmas movie. We actually watched National Lampoon's Holiday Vacation last night. As cliches that is, sign up today and bet five dollars on any game if it wins. You also score one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. A winning bet plus an extra one hundred thy dollars to bet with. That's spreading holiday cheer plus hard Rock Bet fills your stockings with new promos daily, so whenever you're listening, just open the app and check out what you've got. Any day of the week, download the hard Rock Bet app and make your first deposit today. Payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida, offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital, LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eight eight Admit it in Indiana. If you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia. All right, demons, let's get to Sunday Night football. In some of the other.
Speaker 3: Games, Ravens hanging by a thread. Drake May was looking poor in the first half. Rallied Lamar Jackson came out of the game with I think like a rib injury.
Speaker 2: We lost the game. Now we have a seven percent chance of making the playoffs. Yeah yeah, how ye? Who do you think this is big wrong? The Ravens or Patriots?
Speaker 1: I think, well, listen, I think it's a Let me start with the Patriots. And what was I'm trying to remember because there was a clip from last week's show. Was it about Lamar? What was the clip? Maybe the producers saw it as well. There is a clip of I did some take that I don't even know if demanse agreed with, but it was massively aggregated, and it was aggregated with the monsee and I split screen. And I always find this funny because I wasn't do you guys remember what I'm talking about? Was it my last week from it was from Thursday show. I can't even remember what we talked about on Thursday.
Speaker 3: But regardless, Lamar's health, niquill and sickness and stuff, but it was something else other than that.
Speaker 2: Probably That's why.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember. What are If I had our rundown from last week in front of me, I could I could think of it. I'm trying to think if it's Lamar because the reason I thought of that is it might happen again this week, but uh the let's start with the Patriots. I think that was a growing up moment for Drake Drake. I think that Drake was playing one of his worst games of the year and for him to rally the way he did and make the I mean, he obviously had the one great deep pass that was robbed from him on the miss DPI, but didn't matter. He had already the touchdown pass he threw to the front corner of the end zone. Yeah, was unbelievable. I thought that was great, and I I think that on top of that, Uhle's hold on. I think Paul just texted to me, Oh, this is what it was. Sorry, it was the thank you, Paul. It was the whimby stuff. It was me saying I don't need to be lectured by the old French kid. That the people got super mad at that take and you're just sitting there like listening. It's just super funny. Thank you, Paul. The no the people got mad at I think my Lamar h takes from TV. But sorry, I'm interrupting myself. I thought the Drake may touchdown pass was unild The bomb was unbelievable. The fourth and two play which kept him alive to go win the game. It was just past the sideline, but it was an absolute laser that I thought was gonna be knocked down. He was excellent. And Drake May's the real deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the real hand.
Speaker 1: And uh, the Patriots they had to win that game because while I thought sometimes the schedule stuff got a little overblown, if they had played that soft schedule and then lost to Buffalo and Baltimore, it'd be like, Okay, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They're they're a really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're Oh, they're ahead of schedule. They're better than all the JV teams, but they're not an A lister, And I think they proved they're A listers. And so I think that is that's the Patriots piece of it. And they've got.
Speaker 2: They got their quarterback. The guy looks like. I think that guy's gonna be in the league for a really really long time. Yeah, yeah, I solid, man.
Speaker 1: I think he is just going to be a top five quarterback. Yeah. Forward, he's legit. He is, without a doubt legit. And then you get to the Ravens and there's a lot here. They blew another big lead. Everyone's blaming hardball. They didn't give the ball to they didn't have Derrick Henry on the field for their last two possessions. People are understandably blaming hardball. Another can I call it without people freaking out? Weird injury thing with Lamar I do.
Speaker 3: I do feel strongly that he could have came back in the game. Watching the like and it's and it's a rivengery. I do think he could have come back in that game. And I don't like doing that or like being like so I don't know what the guy was feeling, but I don't know, like he was moving around, he's like on the side, like like I've had a ribbery before.
Speaker 2: And I just I don't know. I felt like he could have kept played, especially in that situation. We have the game. We just need you to manage.
Speaker 1: But I so listen, I hate that you're the one that said that instead of me, because and I want this if this gets aggregated, people to understand he could Its just Demonte's favorite team and the guy he's ridden with more than anybody. Yeah, but I was shocked he didn't go back in and when he didn't go back in. Let me rephrase that, I was not shocked he didn't go back in. We didn't go back in. I assumed we were going to get the news yesterday that he broke his ribs, that he had cracked ribs, that even though the hit didn't the need didn't look that bad. But you never know, you know how that is. And so I just assumed, like, oh man, there's he, like he's he probably isn't gonna play this coming week, and that's it's a rap. And when Harbaugh came out yesterday and said it's just a bad contusion and he's day to day, I was stunned. Now again, it's weird because Lamar is obviously tough, and obviously he's played cares so I so that's why I'm saying, it's just another weird injury thing with Lamar, where now he has suffered a hamstring injury that nobody saw when it happened, but obviously was a real one, like a not real as opposed to real versus fake. I should have said a significant one to where he missed multiple games, including a game after a buye that his coach thought he would be back for and then had knee ankle toe injuries that made him miss practice but not miss any games, but he then wasn't effective in the games. Then his you know, annual December cold had to miss practice, and now what looked like a relatively banal play knocked him out for the most critical half of their season, basically playing an elimination game. It's just weird. And I'm not trying to be like cag with my analysis here. I'm not trying to hint at anything, but I'm also not going to act like it's not weird. And it's very very hard not to go to the other quarterbacks in Lamar's tax bracket and echelon, and I'd ask yourself, do we think they would have an injury that the next day their coach calls day to day and expects them to play the next week, that we wouldn't have seen them back on the field at least trying seeing giving it a go and then maybe Okay, this isn't gonna work. I don't know, I feel like you would have, and so it's just odd.
Speaker 2: And I go about Baltimore. See so with the situation, Harball, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Let me tweak that there you go, I don't because I said this a few weeks ago. I don't think he wants out. I think he might be over Harball and that this has run its course, and that Lamar is resigned to the fact that this is a lost season, and it is a lost season, and this was the the biggest thing I said yesterday on TV that I think people maybe took issue with. But again, we won't know for five years, but I'll I think this will age well. I am not saying Lamar will never make or win a super Bowl. What I am saying is I think when his career is over, we will look at the best chances he had were these past three years. They were the solitary super Bowl favorite at multiple points in each of the last three seasons. They were the super Bowl preseason favorite this year. And to come out of these three years with two total playoff victories, come out of the twenty twenties so far twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, twenty four to twenty five with two total playoff victories is stunning. And now I think you start a new era with a new head coach Demons. Before we move on to side of it, I want to give you some news. Zay Flowers name to the Pro Bowl this morning. Now go ahead, I know you have a potential Zay Flowers take.
Speaker 3: Just run straight, man, please just run straight, and just be a little bit tighter with the football. I just think that there there have been a couple of big situations and the biggest point of the season, and I think the guy is loose with the football. He's trying to play like backyard football or something, making these cuts backwards. And that's not like the only time that I've seen him do that, but just in the bigger instances, it's like, dude, just just be tirer with the football. Don't try to get it all one play, go down or something. It's just kind of frustrated.
Speaker 1: And he has said he was gonna do that, yeah, and then he has not done that.
Speaker 2: He's loose. It's just loose.
Speaker 1: And it's the end. He doesn't fumble a lot, but you remember the fumbles. Yeah, you're youber. There are big moments, all right. This also got you know, there's extra bad for Baltimore because of Pittsburgh's green in the day. I know you have a question about that.
Speaker 2: What'd you think of the end of that game Pittsburgh Detroit. So I.
Speaker 1: Thought a couple of things. One is this, you're the Detroit Lions with Dan the man Campbell. You're biting knee caps. You have first and goal from the one with twenty two seconds in a timeout. Run the ball, run the ball. The you ran a little fancy little pick play. You got OPI like you're supposed to be this big, strong, tough, smack smouth.
Speaker 2: Get it.
Speaker 1: You're the one yard line. So that's first point. That was on the first OPI. The second OPI, I don't know if I love that OPI call. I also don't think that should have mattered because a Monros Saint Brown, by any definition ever, was short of the end zone on fourth down. And here's the critical piece. Had his momentum stopped, his forward ruggers was stopped. Now, they didn't blow it dead, but that was asinine. Had there not been a called OPI and that a Monro Saint Brown lateral which happened three seconds and five yards after he was first hit when he was pushed backwards, had they not said that play was blown dead, that would have been an outrage because the reason, you know is forward momentum was stopped and everyone thought the play was over. Was the other Steelers could have gone up and hit him as well. There were two pushing him, but they didn't because they knew obviously that play was supposed to be over. So I didn't think Detroit got screwed. I do think Pittsburgh, where I have to give him credit to Monse is they're playing their best ball. Rogers is playing his best ball. You And here is the important thing for Pittsburgh. If you beat the Browns, your old ass team, with your old ass quarterback, you can give yourselves a bye week that's super valuable. Because you beat the Browns and Week eighteen is truly wholly and entirely meaningless for you. You will have locked up the four seed. You will not be able to improve your seed, and you can just rest Rogers, rest whomever else DK is gonna be resting either way, and you'll be at home for two weeks leading into the playoffs, which is a home game. So Steelers beat the Browns, and they all of a sudden, depending on who they draw, are live now. I don't think they're live against Buffalo, but Buffalo's not guaranteed to be the five seed. And so that's a great weekend for Pittsburgh. All right, let's go on to the other game. Actually, before we do that, Demanse, let me do this. You ever notice how everything keeps going up. Rent's going up, streaming services going up. Your favorite burrito spot, thinks Sauls as cost extra both Boost Mobile, you and your phone build off to play the will this go up Soon? Game? Why? Because boost moa is unlimited talk, text and data playing at a price that will never go up. In fact, same you'll pay for life. So switch now for unlimited wireless at a price that'll never go up. Only at boost Mobile. After thirty gigs, customers may experience lower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars per month as long as they remain active on the boost Unlimited plan. All right, let's keep going with these other games.
Speaker 2: Caleb Williams and the Comeback over Green Bay. I saw some beautiful stuff from this car over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Jordan Love got knocked out of the game, but I think a concussion didn't matter though, because Willis came in and he was cooking too, so I think there is still a solid win. Cook the on side kick in overtime, some dots into the end zone. How what should Bears fans expectations be at this point of the season.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, that was an unbelievable win. And post on sidekick Caleb was unreal. The fourth down throw to say keep the game alive was perfect. The overtime touchdown pass was perfect. Now you do have to acknowledge all of Caleb's great moments happened after an onside kick, and that means, by definition, they were incredibly lucky that they had a chance for those to happen, Like onside kicks just you cover ten percent of them and so, but that's football like that the sometimes you need that little opening to redeem yourself. And now the Bears are locked into the playoffs feeling great and I think feeling like we can play better because Caleb's highs have been unbelievable, but he hasn't been consistent yet. That is like a fair critique, But the.
Speaker 2: That he hasn't been like really bad either though, Like I feel like he's gone right, that's right.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great way to put it. He is. He has had high highs and high lows, but he has not had enough. So and he just hasn't been consistent though, but you see it, and and if you're you mentioned Malik Willis, I want to say something about him and Matt Lafore. Malik Willis has been excellent as a backup for them. He might get a look somewhere next year because of this. And there is a real benefit to now having the track record that Matt Lafore built with Malik Willis, which is you should always have a good backup quarterback now because quarterbacks that are trying to rebuild their value will want to go to Green Bay and he clearly can coach these guys up. So that has like a real long term impact and effect. I'm checking right now. I think Malik Willis is a free agent after this year, yeah, because he was still on his rookie deal. So Malik Willis could be looking at like one of those one year, ten twelve million dollar deals from a team that stopgap situation. Could Could the Colts sign him while they're waiting on Daniel Jones to recover something like that, Like, I think that's on the board, So I think that is interesting. I also think that because of Detroit's loss, green Bay is going to be fine. But the injuries are just piling up on them, and they're not. Here's the scenario for the Lions to get in and the Packers to be out is very simple. The Packers have to lose out and the Lions have to win out. Now that's not outrageous when you say there's only two games left. It would mean the Packers have to lose to Baltimore and to Minnesota, two seven and eight disappointing teams. I know in our head one team's way better than the other, but they're not. So the Packers would have to lose to Baltimore and in Minnesota, and the Lions would have to beat Minnesota and Chicago in the final week of the year. So Packers aren't in. But it would take a disaster, and that also means Lions are basically out. All right, Let's talk about my favorite game of the weekend, Demonsey.
Speaker 3: So you're and Trevor Lawrence went and hung thirty four on that top rated defense in Denver. Nobody's believed in this team except for you, through and through. Are you ready to take a victory lap or ere? The your sights higher for them in the postseason?
Speaker 1: Sites are higher? Man was playing out of his mind. Everten nobody good against that Denver defense. Nobody and Trevor carved him up. Yeah, and they now they have a sneak, not sneaky, but they have a path to the one seed. So let me tell you explain what it is. They they have to win out. Obviously, who do they play. They are in Indie, which just saw essentially their season end last night, and home for the Titans. Two and zero, no problem they So if they do that, we go to the old athletic playoff predictor they have. If they go to and zero, they have a thirty percent chance of the three seed, a fifty two percent chance of the two seed, and a eighteen percent chance of the one seed. So how do they get the one seed? Again, this part's pretty simple as well. The Broncos are going to beat the Chiefs, so we can't ask for the Broncos to beat the Chiefs to beat the Broncos. But if the Broncos then lose to the Chargers in Week eighteen, then what the Jags would need to be the one seed is the Patriots to lose. It's hard gonna lie either to the Jets or the Dolphins, and then that so what the what the Jags need is the Patriots and Broncos to lose at least once and they'll be the one seed. What I am more interested in is how do they get the two seed? They because I think that's more realistic. I think it's the same thing. Actually, they need the they for them to get the two seed, they need the Patriots to lose once. Uh wait, is that not right?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm confused here. Let me look the I might be confused on this one, because this says the more likely if the Patriots win. Oh, because they get that, they have the tiebreaker with New England and hold on, is this correct? I have to look this up real quick. Sorry, I care about the Jags. I'm the only person the they do have. They would have the tiebreaker with New England. But New England. I'm so confused by this right now, hold on, let me let me figure this out real quick. Oh hold on, you know what, this is bad podcasting. I'm not doing the regardless, they're in great shape and Trevor's playing great and Liam Cohen's been awesome. There's just no way around it.
Speaker 2: If they go on a deep playoff run, do you think it would ease the pain of your chief season this year? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Can you imagine? I gotta tell you, just like, right back up, how obnoxious I'm going to be if Trevor makes a Super Bowl before Lamar and Josh Come on god, yeah, oh my goodness, gracious, all right, let's talk Thursday night football quick.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that game Seahawks ended up pulling out, pulling out the comeback last night. Forty nine ers made sure we didn't forget about them, and they beat the crap out of the Colts. I gotta I gotta be honest. I turned that game.
Speaker 2: Off the Seahawks. Was it? Seahawks Rams?
Speaker 3: Donald threw the pike the sixteen the year it was like thirty fourteen, Yeah, thirty to fourteen, nine minutes of they came back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. How are we feeling about the NFC?
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, I think the Rams are the best team. But that's a devastating loss. And Donald was awesome in overtime and maybe that'll be a fork in the road moment for him. But every concern you had about Donald going into that game, he lived up to those concerns. For the first three and a half quarters. Seattle is such an excellent team. They were able to overcome it, and Rashid Shaheed's punt return was great, But I still think the Rams are the best team and the Niners. Credit to Shanahan, credit to Purty, who was great last night. Again, every the somehow we're gonna have another where I'm gonna be drawn into more Brock Party arguments, even though we saw Mac Jones step in for him and be a B plus version of him, which proved everything I always said about that offense and that team. But whatever, it's just my destiny to have to always to have to argue about the forty nine Ers quarterback be proven right through an odd real life NFL experiment, and then have folks pretend that it's just coincidence that everything I said would happen is exactly what happened. But Party was excellent. I don't think the Niners defense is good enough for a playoff run, but their offense is elite right now, so I would power rank it Ram, Seahawks, Niners. What is interesting, though, is the Seahawks and Niners are the teams that control their own destiny for a one seed and the Rams ability so if the because the Seahawks have two games left Bears Niners. If they win both, they get the one seed and the bye. The Niners have two games left. I'm sorry I said that wrong. By the way, the Niners two games left are Bears Seahawks. If they win both of those games, they get the one seed. They get the buye. The Seahawks have two games left Panthers Niners. If they win both those games, they get the one seed. They get the buye. For the Rams to get the one seed, they need a very specific set of things to happen. Obviously, they have to go to and zero. They play Falcons Cardinals, and then their smoothest path would be the Panthers beating the Seahawks and then the Seahawks beating the Bears, But then they also need the Bears, not to Seahawks beating the Niners. Is the last thing. I apologize. I'm explaining this poorly. I'm gonna try again. For the Rams to be the one seed, they need to go to and zero and then their easiest path would be Panthers beat the Seahawks, Seahawks beat the Niners, and then either the Bears lose to the Lions or the Bears lose to the Niners, so they need somehow Essentially, the Rams do. The Bears, Seahawks, and forty nine Ers to all lose at least once, which is tricky because they play each other, and so the Rams' ability to get the one seed is quite slim. And I think that matters because again weather matters, they would be they would have been in so fi they'd had the rest. So I think they're the best team. But that loss is devastating to them, and I still can't believe they lost the game the way they did. All right, let me quickly go through these other games. Eagles beat the Commanders and Marcus mariotis slash, Josh Johnson, Saquon looks great, Jalen played really well. We'll see Eagles big test this weekend against Buffalo. Panthers beat the Bucks in a game I can't I'm not gonna explain all the ins and outs of it. The short version is this, given the way to Sunday football went, had Baker not thrown that interception, I would have taken the money that Demands had loaned me earlier in the day that I talked about earlier and spun it into forty one thousand dollars. That is not an exaggeration, That is not a oh you needed all these things to happen. It's very simple. Had the Bucks won that game thanks to a very savvy bet I placed with our friends at hard Rock, I would have hit a nice little Christmas forty one thousand dollars bonus are you doing? Baker threw one of the worst picks.
Speaker 2: Of them, and he was like peaking her. He was peaking around his old lineman.
Speaker 1: I can't I can't talk about I can't talk Bill's beat the Browns twenty three to twenty in a game Josh Allen didn't have to do anything, which is crazy because all I hear about is how Josh Allen has no help. I don't know. Having the freaking rushing champ in James Cook seems like a little bit of help, but what do I know. There. Chargers beat the Cowboys in a game I got dead wrong. Justin Herbert played great. I think you know he was just named the Pro Bowl. By the way, it's Josh Allen. Drake made Justin Herbert shout out Herbert. Texans beat the Raiders in a game that nobody watched. But the Texans looked awful, and the Texans offense has been shaky all year long, all year. Bengals beat the Dolphins forty five twenty one. Quinn your is not really an NFL quarterback, and the Bengals ripped up the Dolphins defense. Vikings beat the Jets sixteen thirteen in the game. I didn't spend a second watching, but I saw Jackson dart through for thirty three yards and played the whole game. That seems weird. Saints, he played the whole game. Demanday. Saints beat the Jets twenty nine to six. Tyler Shutt continues to play well and Falcons beat the Cardinals twenty six to nineteen in a game that happened, but I have no proof of it. All right, Uh, thank you everybody. We're gonna step aside here. We have a week seventeen gambling show coming to you tomorrow. We will bring that to you guys tomorrow. We're gonna have the firing in these lines early in the week. See how we do. We'll do that tomorrow. Thank you to Volume and Blue Duck. Thank you to Hard Rock, bet Boost and Zen. Talk to us tomorrow for the gambling show. What's right